Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, the show where We're on the road slang in melon balls with friends. On today's show, tennis reporter prim Siripa Pat will tell me what I should.
Speaker 2: Expect and eat and drink at the.
Speaker 1: US Open, as well as the one tennis debate she refuses to weigh in on plus a grin too big for words and are we seeing double or is the NWSL just NWS selling? It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, my little slicesys. Here's what you need to know today. In the Paralympics. In paratriathlon, the US women claimed four medals across three classifications on Monday. In the PTS two classification, Wisconsin native Hayley Dan's one gold, reaching the top of the Paralympic podium for the first time after claiming silver in both Rio and Tokyo. Ahead of her race, dance posted on social media, writing quote, my belief in myself has ebbed and flowed, but one thing that's remained steadfast is all of your belief in me. My support staff, my teammates, and those of my close circle who see all the small daily battles you all have made it clear to me that you believe I'm capable of doing something spectacular in Paris tomorrow, and largely because of you, and also because of the work I've done myself, I believe it too.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: It's also worth noting that it wasn't just Olympians who had to deal with shit, literal shit, because the Paralympic Triathlons also had to be rescheduled due to water quality concerns in the sin And in case you're wondering how elite athletes get that type of major news, shout out to you as Paralympian Melissa Stockwell, who posted a screenshot of the email tour Instagram which read quote, Dear Sir or Madam, due to weather condition, we regret to inform you that your pt R I one paratriathlon session, initially scheduled for nine oh one two O two four at eight fifteen am, has been postponed to nine o two two O two four at eight fifteen am.
Speaker 2: Wow. I hope Sir Madam got that email in time.
Speaker 1: For the first time in Paralympic or Olympic history, the US has won a medal in the sport of badminton, competing in the SH six mixed doubles competition, Nineteen year olds j C. Simon and Miles Crosskey claimed silver, falling to China in the gold medal match. In wheelchair rugby, the US felt to Japan in the gold medal match on Monday forty eight forty one. Sarah Adam, you know that woman we've been talking about, The first American woman to compete in wheelchair rugby at the Paralympics, recorded fourteen tries in the final. That tizer with teammate Chuck Aoki for the team high. In sitting volleyball, the US bounced back from a group stage loss against China to beat host nation France three sets to none. Team USA's fate in the knockout round will be determined today in their final group stage match, this one against Italy. As a reminder, the US was looking to win its third straight Paralympic gold medal in the sport. And before you read too much into that loss against China, here's a little historical context. So the US also lost to China in the group stage at both the twenty sixteen and twenty twenty one Pairs Olympics, and both times went on to defeat China in the gold medal match to the NWSL. The Orlando Pride, Yeah, you guessed it. They extended their unbeaten streak to nineteen games on Sunday. They've won five straight and this one they beat Gotham FC two nil, both goals scored by Adriana in the first half. The contest was delayed a little bit by some heavy duty rain, and the Pride social media tape took the chance to poke fun at Gotham, writing quote, Listen, we know it rains a bunch here, but y'all have had so many weather delays over the past two years, so this one is on you.
Speaker 2: Gotham FC. More soccer.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, the Chicago Red Stars announced that the team traded forward Penelope Hawking to BAFC in exchange for a three hundred and fifty thousand dollars transfer fee, with Chicago receiving two hundred and fifty thousand dollars this season and one hundred thousand dollars next season. Per the Red Stars, Hawking, who grew up in southern California, requested the trade in order to be.
Speaker 2: Closer to home.
Speaker 1: I'm just bummed because I want to see more of Penelope Hawking and Mouse wantson speeding up the sidelines and playing together. But shouts to the Red Stars were getting it done and getting Hawking back home and good luck to her in the bay all right. The NWSL is called Chaos League for a reason, and the latest confusion is thanks to Julia Grosso and also Julia Grasso. It's spelled the same but pronounced slightly differently. So at the end of last week, the NWSL Players Association updated the list of players eligible for free agency, and it included.
Speaker 2: A surprising name, Julia Grosso.
Speaker 1: That's because back in July, the Chicago Red Stars signed Olympic gold medalist and Canadian national team player Julia Grosso to a three year contract, meaning she won't be eligible for free agency for a while. But that's not the Grasso Grosso the list was referring to. It was talking about American soccer player Julia Grasso, who had been playing with the Australian club Melbourne but was in the process of signing with a yet to be announced NWSL club, And on Sunday that club was confirmed to be the Utah Royals, which signed Grasso to a contract through the end of the twenty twenty four season. If you kept up with that, congratulations, We're going to keep scanning that free agency list for names that surprise us and make sure there aren't titty doubles out there. Meanwhile, in the WNBA, there's only one Asia Wilson, but she's basically scorn for two. Asia Wilson's in the ACES ninety seven to seventy nine winner with the Murcury on Sunday. The MVP front runner dropped forty one points and put up seventeen boards. Candae Parker's the only other player ever to put up forty and fifteen. Asia's the first to a forty seventeen game. And we've talked a lot about the Aces struggles this season and their chances of three peating, and if anyone had any doubts about how seriously Asia Wilson's taking that challenge, while she quelled those over the weekend, fans might have noticed that she's shown up to the team's last six straight games wearing baggie white T shirts. No tunnel fits for Wilson, just the same white T shirt. When she was asked about the fashion choice by Las Vegas Review Journals, Callie Lawson Freeman. Wilson said quote, I have to want to put on clothes right now where I am. I don't feel like I deserve to put on clothes right now. My main focus is just getting WINSUOT. We'll link to Kelly's full story in the show notes a lot of people having fun with Asia's white T shirts. If you remember, there was a thought that Bam Autobio, who we think she's dating but they haven't hard launched, made a comment about doesn't anybody have any irons anymore these days? Because she was showing up in the wrinkled tea. But now it's sort of a thing, and fans are showing up to games in all white T shirts in support of her. She's getting shout outs from music groups that are known for wearing all white teas. It's a thing now, like somehow Asia Wilson is so amazing that she's making a plane wrinkled white tea a thing. By the way, during that Mercury loss to the Aces that we just mentioned, both Diana Tarassi and Natasha Cloud each picked up their seventh technical foul of the season, and that adds to the Mercury's WNBA all time season record for techs. They've got thirty three in counting the fowls. Put both players in position a miss tonight's game against the Atlanta Dream. As reminder, players have to serve a one game un paid suspension upon receiving a seventh technical in a season. But if you think that Tarassi's about to punch another door over this, think again. And if you don't get that door reference, stay tuned later in the show.
Speaker 2: But back to Sunday.
Speaker 1: After the game, DT and Sophie Cunningham, we're asked about the text at the press conference podium.
Speaker 2: Let's roll on that clip.
Speaker 3: It looks like there's been a lot of eyes on us this year. I know we have a lot of fiery people. I know we've set the record for most techs. So we got to look ourselves in the mirror and see how we can do better. But you know, moving forward. Shit, we're grown women. Stop being so sensitive on both ends.
Speaker 2: Well, mine's definitely getting rescinded, so I'm good. I'll be playing the next game. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's the thing, slices we hear a good game. Believe in the power of podcast, the efficacy of audio storytelling, but there are limitations to the medium, and we're really feeling that right now because when I tell you that DT had the biggest shit eating grin on her face when Cunningham mentioned leading the league in techs, I guarantee that right now you are not picturing a big enough grin. We'll link to that video in the show notes. You can see just how shit eaten it was. Oh and by the way, DT was writ in that clip. On Monday, the WNBA did announce that had overturned her tech, meaning she's back at six on the season. Natasha Cloud's TECH was confirmed, though, so she'll be absent from tonight's game serve in that suspension. More WNBA more than five hundred thousand fans have attended Indiana Fever games so far this season, breaking the WNBA full season total attendance record.
Speaker 2: Led by rookie Caitlin Clark.
Speaker 1: The Fever are also on track to break the average WNBA attendance record. As it stands right now, an average of fifteen thousand, seven hundred fans are showing up to every Fever game, both at home and on the road. The New York Liberty currently hold that record in nineteen ninety eight, an average of thirteen thousand, three hundred ninety eight fans showed up for the team's thirty games on the court. The Fever also hit an important milestone over the weekend, breaking five hundred for the first time in five years. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when your team has been under five hundred for five years, I'll tell you what that is worth celebrating. With a one hundred to ninety three win over the Dallas Wings on Saturday, the Fever now stand at seventeen wins and sixteen losses on the season, an incredibly impressive turnaround after the terrible start they got out to also shout out Arike Agumbuale, who had a WNBA record tying nine three pointers in the Wings loss.
Speaker 2: And it wouldn't be a.
Speaker 1: Game without another Angel rees record as well. She added another big one to her resume over the weekend. During the Chicago Sky seventy nine to seventy four loss to the Minnesota Lynx on Sunday, Angel Reaes broke the WNBA record for most rebounds in a single season. The record was previously held by the great Sylvia Fowls, who tallied four hundred four rebounds during the Lynxes twenty eighteen season.
Speaker 2: Angels sitting at four eighteen and counting.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, good game is hitting the road New York City, my first ever New York Liberty Game at Barclays on Thursday, and a trip back to the US Open for the first time in.
Speaker 2: A couple of years the next few days.
Speaker 1: So today and tomorrow I'm going to be at the Open to a ten events hosted by Elf Cosmetics, espnW and the Women's Sports Foundation. And in honor of my little jaunt to Queens, I thought we'd do a couple quick US Open fun facts. Okay, the first US Open ever was in nineteen sixty eight, Virginuate of Great Britain upset top seeded Billy jan King for the women's title to win six thousand dollars. That's right, six thousand dollars went to the women's winner. On the men's side, the great Arthur Ashe won the first ever men's singles crowned. But he was just an amateur, so he couldn't even claim the fourteen thousand dollars men's prize. He just got his twenty dollars per diium. He was the first ever African American to win a men's singles title at a Grand Slam championship, and of course, now is a court named after him.
Speaker 2: The US Open is the fourth and final Grand Slam of the year.
Speaker 1: And one of two Majors contested on a hard court surface, which is faster than clay but slower than grass.
Speaker 2: Since nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: The Open has been played at a stadium complex in Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens. It was formerly named the USTA National Tennis Center and was rededicated as the Billy Jean King National Tennis Center in two thousand and six. Why you ask well, in part because of what she did for equal pay. Tennis became the first sport and the US Open became the first Grand Slam event to offer equal prize money to men and women, all thanks to Billy Jean King threatening to boycott the.
Speaker 2: Event in nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 1: Every time I hear that, I'm just reminded of how ahead of the game Billy Jean was. Like back in nineteen seventy three, she was already putting her foot down and saying it was unfair to have the men and women paid unequally well. This year's Open has a record purse of seventy five million dollars total for the men's and women's side, including three point six million dollars a piece for the men's and women's singles winners. And they also get that cool trophy ten pounds eighteen inches. They've been made by Tiffany and Company since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: This year a record setting amount of interest in the event. Seventy four thousand, six hundred and forty one fans went through the gates on opening day. That's the biggest single day crowd in US Open history. This year's women's final is set for next Monday, September ninth, and we're not getting a defending champ. Coco GoF was bounced by fellow American and her Paris Olympics room mate Emma Navarro. Last year, Golf was the first American team to win the US Open cinnas Serena Williams did in nineteen ninety nine. All Right, when we come back, I'm gonna prep for the Open with my favorite tennis talker and my old ESPN co host, prim surrip A.
Speaker 2: Pat that's next.
Speaker 1: Joining us now She's a US Open radio reporter, tennis commentator, and former top ten under eighteen tennis player in the country. At Duker Tennis team won the indoor national championship for senior year. She's a mom of two, owner of two master's degrees. Former Puppy Mama hopefully soon to be Puppy Mama again.
Speaker 2: We worked together for years at ESPN.
Speaker 1: We used to host the show very creatively named Spain and Prim, where we faced off in an epic rap battle that likely inspired the versus battles during COVID.
Speaker 2: It's Prim, sirripa bat? What's up? Prim?
Speaker 4: It was I sastrenator.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna mention that you won the rap battle, but that was only because you you you brought in a meet to help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was unfair, Healy said, like one mind. Yeah, but I wasn't told we could have hype people.
Speaker 1: Those rules were not established, and as you know, I'm a terrible loser. So I'm just going to use a loophole and the rules to explain why I was victorious. First of all, awesome to see you, Awesome to talk to you. Shout out to all the Spain and Prim listeners from back of the Day. Yeah, prim the one time I've ever been to the US Open.
Speaker 2: You were there. We had a little reunion. It was wonderful. It was very brief, though. I'm returning and I will be at the.
Speaker 1: US Open to experience the splendor and joy of I don't even know. It's not strawberries and cream. That's Wimbledon. That's why you're here because you need to tell me what to drink, what to eat, what to see, where to go, all the secrets of the Billage and King Tennis Center, Like, what are the most important things I need to know from my US Open journey?
Speaker 4: Well, fortunately you missed the hottest day of the tournament. It was in the nineties. People were retiring, people were fainting. It was miserably high. So the good news is that you're going to be here when the weather is absolutely perfect, and you're coming during the second week, so that means that it's actually going to be less and busy. Good for you. So, first stop, everyone always talks about the lotster rolls. You gotta do the lobster rolls. Okay, they also have lobster tacos, They have lobster and panadas. There's a lot of lobster. There's also fried chicken. There's also some amazing like steak and Flag and Yon sandwiches. But the Honey Juicy Yeah, very fancy. I mean, the US Open has gotten to be a very fancy, wonderfully experiential sporting event. I mean, listen, the whole aim is to be accessible and inclusive for all tennis fans, whether you play tennis or not. But I think it's I think what's made it really special, especially since the pandemic, because the USA has done social phenomenal job just like transforming the site and creating more activations. It literally is an experience. So you got to go for the food. You got to go for the drinks, which is the Honey Juice. That's their signature cocktail. It's got a little gray goose. I think it's got some grapefruit in it, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: There's a little greyhound and spy okay something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But the cup is free, so that's good. And there's three melon balls that look like a tennis ball, so they're cute. You're gonna see a lot of people walking around, and then there's also they they brought in Dobelle tequila, so they have the ace Paloma I A. Caine last year made its debut last year, and that's good. It's main Sassinator. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: Ready, I love it. I'm ready. I'm ready prim Reaper. Okay.
Speaker 1: So what am I supposed to wear? I mean, gonna be in some fancy suites? Do I need to wear like a cute dress? Do I need to dress like Zendaya in Contenders or Competitors or whatever?
Speaker 2: I still haven't watched that movie.
Speaker 1: Do I wear a full tennis outfit like I'm gonna be playing?
Speaker 2: Is it all white like Wimbledon? What's the deal?
Speaker 4: I mean, Sassinator, you can wear whatever you want.
Speaker 2: You're the Sassinator. You can call them in.
Speaker 4: You're sweats and you're still gonna be cool. You're you're still be the queen Bee. Like, honestly, you could come casual. Are you gonna be in a suite? Did you say you're gonna be in a sweet yes?
Speaker 2: The Sweet Life of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right, Well you're not at the status yet where you can walk in and like total sweats and like disheveled and say that would love us. I mean, it's funny, like you see a lot of people. You have the recreational tennis fan that love to calm and they're tennis outfit's as if they're going to play. How casual are we on this podcast?
Speaker 2: We're very casual. You could say, what do you want? Oh? Nice? Nice?
Speaker 4: Okay, I would advise not to do that. And then you have the people. There's a lot of social media inflor influencers dot com. So you they are dressed to the nine, full makeup, hair done, all dressed in white. You could do that. That doesn't seem like you.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I think the only time I've ever been full hair and makeup and in white was on my wedding day.
Speaker 2: That's about the hardest I've ever drived. Or the garing degrees of success or you to the.
Speaker 4: Gala, the red carpet, gallon, I dot yellow nails that look like I saw that tennis balls.
Speaker 1: So that's a start, okay, So let's get to some more important stuff. You have been covering tennis forever, and you've been specifically covering the US Open a bunch. What can you tell us about the specifics around this venue. It's like the most attended that makes the most money, it's like so special, But what is it about the space and maybe covering it? Do you are there any like tricks to getting around or to getting to the athletes or anything like that that we wouldn't know as just regular pleaps.
Speaker 4: Well, by the time you get here, I always tell people like, don't be starry eyed by the Arthur Ashe Stadium, the Louis Armstrong, like the big stadiums. There's four big stadiums, Arthur ash, Louis Armstrong, Grandstan, and Stadium seventeen. Like go to the outer course. But because by the time you get here, there's going to be the juniors that are starting to play, and the juniors are kind of your glimpse to the future generation. But if you come back next year, the fan week is like it is becoming like the new Hottis thing. They started the fan Week two days earlier and it's just a great way you can watch qualifying. You get a lot of most of the top tier players are just out here roaming around practicing and it's such a phenomenal experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked to Taylor Townsend who got to play in the fan week with Boris Kojo, So there's some celebs playing, and also there's a lot of the US open activations around different communities and supporting the concept of being open and that, like you said, during COVID, when they really committed themselves to making tennis not just about their traditions and the things that have potentially held it back from certain communities, but expanding beyond that too.
Speaker 2: Which we really love.
Speaker 1: Yes, Producer Alex has some important tennis questions. Number one, she wants to know what color is the tennis ball?
Speaker 4: I want to go with a grease yellow, yellowish green.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: That's not an answer. That is two colors. What color is the tennis ball?
Speaker 4: I'm not going to get drawn into this kind of dichotomous kind of conversation where you got to have a hot take and pick a side. We did all. We did that back in the day when when you are you and I were on Radis influenced by the culture. Just have a hot take just to have a hot Take'm not going to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it. We're not doing it. Here's greenish yellow and yellowish screen. That's right.
Speaker 4: I'm here representing the gray. Great because it's not black and white.
Speaker 2: Gray.
Speaker 1: Perfect if I were Tony reality, I would mute the out of you right now. But this is a different place, so I'm not going to tell you that greenish yellow and.
Speaker 2: Yellow screen is the correct answer. Oh. In fact, I had to consider that.
Speaker 1: When I was getting my nails done because I was like, do I go green or yellow?
Speaker 2: Or do I go greenish yellow or yellow screen? Nobody knows? That's nobody knows.
Speaker 1: Okay, Why does tennis require spectators to be silent but other sports don't, Like would it actually be more difficult to serve if people were like talking or yelling.
Speaker 4: I think it's a fantastic question. I think that's like a cultural thing, right, because every sport has its own cultural cultural components and norms, Like golf has always been kind of one of those like higher socioeconomic experience.
Speaker 2: A gentleman's game.
Speaker 4: It's a gentleman's game. Tennis, yes, it was kind of like catered toward the social lights and everything. But the USTA, which is the sports governing body of all of tennis, they're doing their best to make it more inclusive and more accessible and just like more casual, more fun. So yeah, so like one thing that they did change, they changed the rules before bands would only be able to get to their seats and like come down or through the stadiums on the changeover, which is every two games this year, it only after the game, so they act can actually go up and down. See you go to any of the stadiums, there's actually a lot more movement that you would see in years past. But from a personality perspective, Spain, I think that US Open is like great for you because it is by far like the most fun, energetic, colorful, dynamic Grand Slam and arguably like tennis sermon throughout the year.
Speaker 1: Imagine in tennis though, if it was like soccer chants and they were like, oh there are full on, but like during the play, if it was just as loud and yeah, like in soccer when you're living, Yeah, there's like vouvuzelas when someone's trying to serve, which reminds me actually, so do you think there will ever be a time when there will be coaching allowed during games in tennis?
Speaker 2: Because I also think that's a stupid.
Speaker 1: Rule if you are in the middle of a game and the coach can see something like why do we make it such a solo endeavor where you're alone out there, and in theory you can't be, even though they sometimes are alleged to it be sending signs to each other and things in the crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have losing the rules. They are allowing coaching. I would have to review like how some things have changed, but they've actually become more lenient with it. So coaching is Yeah, coaching is now allowed. I would have to try to like review which tournaments in certain circumstances, but they have now they are now like the US Open.
Speaker 1: You you still can't have your coach like sitting court side and telling you what's going on.
Speaker 4: No, not not quart syte, but like that's the whole I suppose as a whole. You know what makes tennis so unique is that you don't have fifty two teammates or four other teammates like you're it's just monoly mono.
Speaker 2: They're all alone out there.
Speaker 4: Bar, it's a lonely sport.
Speaker 2: Girl, No wonder you went to get your master's in its college.
Speaker 4: We'll traumatize.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I got all sorts of like social issues and you know that, like weird man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I am so excited to see you.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to experience the magic of the US Open Virtual hug now.
Speaker 2: But I will see you at.
Speaker 1: The Billy Jean King Tentis Tentis Billy Jean King Tennis Center, and we will, perhaps when you're off the clock, we will share a US Open Paloma.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, and a honey deuce.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to Prim for taking some time in the bowels of Billy Jean King Tennis Center. You can bet if you're listening to this right now, I'm already knee deep in honey deuces.
Speaker 2: I'm just letting you know, knee deep.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We got to take another break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, a new entry into the Good Game Hall of Fame stick around.
Speaker 2: Welcome back slices.
Speaker 1: Earlier in the show, we told you about Diana Tarassi avoiding suspension after her latest technical fowl was rescinded. But she's still sitting on six and perilously close to missing a game, And to be honest, we're not surprised. DT is, after all, the all time leader in personal fouls in the WNBA with seventeen hundred and twenty four and the all time leader in technical fouls in the WNBA with one hundred and twenty second place, half as many sixty two for retired seventeen year WNBA vet Delicia Milton Jones.
Speaker 2: So if you thought it was just because DT's been.
Speaker 1: At it for a while, that's part of it. But she's also doubling up the person in second place. And listen, some of you new fans might understand now why us old heads weren't surprised by DT's welcome message for the rookies like Caitlin Clark. If you remember, her quote was reality is coming. It was very brash, it was honest, it was competitive, it was spicy, and that's Diana. That's always been Diana. You gotta love it or if you hate it, it doesn't matter. That's always going to be her. And by the way, she was right because Kitlyn Clark stumbled in the early games. She has since worked her way into understanding the size, the speed, the strength of the league. And along the way, Tarassi has praised Caitlin Clark's improvement and her quote remarkable rookie season. So she can talk to smack and she can also tell you when you're doing a good job too. So in honor of DT making news ug in for another tech even if it was rescinded making news for that fiery temper hug in, Let's take a walk down memory lane and induct another great moment in women's sports lore into the Good Game Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Good Game Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: It's the place where we try to give you the stories you should already know about women's sports. We are chock full of lore. On the men's side, we know all the stories, we repeat them all the time. But on the women's side, there are stories we should all know, and this is one of them.
Speaker 2: It was twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: The Chicago Sky had just defeated the Phoenix Mercury to win their first WNBA championship, led by hometown hero Candace Parker, Finals MVP Colia Copper, and point guard extraordinary Courtney Van der Slut. Yes, none of them are on the Sky anymore. I don't want to talk about it. After the loss, Dina Tarassi was reportedly so pissed she slammed a door in the visiting locker room over and over again until it cracked like a big, fat, can't miss it crack, a huge crack. Tarasi and the Mercury notoriously skipped the postgame interviews that day, but a few days later, she neither confirmed nor denied her duel with the door, telling reporters quote, there were a lot of doors in there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The story could have ended there, but news of the broken door had made it out to the public and it became a prime trolling opportunity for the Sky players and the team's social media because a few days later at the sky Championship parade and rally, what was on stage with them celebrating the big win that brokeass door? And the Sky Twitter account even posted a photo of the door on stage with the absolutely savage caption just in we have a special guest appearance at the Skytown Championship Rally, and you guys thought it was going to be Chance the Rapper.
Speaker 2: Oh it was so funny, so good.
Speaker 1: I'm still holding out hope for some behind the scenes footage of whoever was in charge of dragging the door out of the arena, onto the bus onto the stage.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen it, but I know it's out there.
Speaker 1: So in honor of Tarasi's absolutely legendary competitiveness and bowing down to the epic drama and pageantry provided by the Sky on that day, dragging that damn door all the way to Grant Park. We proudly induct the Diana Tarassi door incident into the Good Game Hall of Fame. Also remember earlier in the show when we told you about that Julia Grosso Grosso tail. Well, the two Julia's. The Julia's aren't alone. There are all sorts of name twins across sports. In fact, in the old early days of Google in MySpace, there was a holy Cross tennis player named Sarah Spain, and she and I found each other online. Every once in a while, she'd search her name, she'd find Sarah Spain Cornell Track, and I would find Sarah Spain, holy Cross Tennis. Shout out up wherever you are, Sarah Spain. And there are so many more. There's so many more name twins, and you will not be shocked to learn that producer Alex even has a list of them.
Speaker 2: Alex hit us with a couple good ones.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna skip the time that I almost didn't get a free massage because the place I went to thought that I was my cousin alex Azzi, who had already cashed in on the free massage.
Speaker 2: All right, Women's.
Speaker 5: Sports name twins. Let's get to it.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 5: Up is the case of the two carly Lloyd's. Both competed for Team USA at the twenty sixteen Rio Olympics. And I'm kind of guessing that all of our listeners are familiar with soccer Carly Lloyd, but there was also a Carly Lloyd on the US volleyball team and she went on to win bronze. And while I know for a fact that volleyball carly Lloyd has always had to deal with questions about soccer Carly Lloyd, I feel like it could occasionally go the other way too. Next up an example that you'd likely only know about if you've been tasked with chasing down and interviewing the world's best canoists, and that's Teresa Portella, one from Portugal and one from Spain, and they both compete in canoeing. I was in Milan for the twenty fifteen World Champs in that sport and was trying to figure out the difference between canoeing and kayaking and having to keep tabs on which Teresa Portella was competing in, which event most certainly only added to the confusion. All Right, Finally, the last example I know of is Yangyang and Yangyang, two short track speed skaters. They overlapped on the Chinese national team in the early two thousands, even sharing a podium at the two thousand and two Salt Lake Olympics. And interesting about them, their names are actually different in Chinese, but when it is transliterated to Latin script, they become the same, and so as a result, they were dubbed Yangyang a in parentheses and Yangyang s in parentheses.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I keep coming back to Bachelor and Bachelorette references, which really tells you what kind of hold that show has in my brain.
Speaker 2: But that reminds me of when there's always like a Brad b Brad d Brads Brad. Al.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yanyong and Yangyong on the same team in the same podium. That's an impressive one. Al, I'm sure there are some more out there. And so that's when it comes to y'all. We love that you're listening, but we always love it when you get in the game every day too. So our good gameplay of the day is to tell us about some name twins, preferably there in women's sports. But if you've got a doozy about a case of mistaken identity or something. We want to hear that too, so send that along. You can message us on Twitter at Sarah Spain Insta Spain two three two three, or hit us up on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com and you can always leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy if you've got you know, one of those mistaken identity good ones where like someone stole all your money out of the bank, that's actually more stolen identity. But anyway, you get my point. If you got a good one, maybe voicemails the way to go. We want to hear that story. Also, don't forget to subscribe, Rate and review. It's super easy watch three day Weekends, rating five out of five relaxing stars.
Speaker 2: Review. Can America get on this? Please can?
Speaker 1: And we get to work on the whole four day work week thing because it's happening in other places.
Speaker 2: I do not think you'll be shocked to hear that.
Speaker 1: In Europe they've done national pilot programs and the workers are well rested, less stressed, and have a better work life balance if they can work one fewer day duh. I mean those Sundays scaries hit a lot softer after a lengthy weekend of relaxing, And you don't even need a hump day in the middle of the week if you're already halfway to the weekend on Tuesday night. Thursdays no longer just Friday eve. It's Thursday. So I think we got to get on that now. I would say that we're gonna start modeling the four day work week here good game, but I'd hate to leave y'all slices wanting more. So five days of shows, five days of work it is for now. You're welcome. Now it's your turn rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Good Game. Julia Grasso, Grasso Grassos, Good Game, prim few Doors, Good Game.
Speaker 1: Same with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 2: You can find us on.
Speaker 1: The iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan.
Speaker 2: And Emily Rudder.
Speaker 1: Our editors are Jenny Kaplan, Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch.
Speaker 2: Production assistants from
Speaker 1: Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain