Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Dog Krisner. US Equities eked out another game in the Wednesday session after a week reading on private payrolls from ADP. The numbers helped to cement bets of a FED rate cut next week. We also saw a rotation out of information technology shares. Let's take a closer look at what's happening in the Asia Pacific. Mark Cranfield joins us from our studios in Singapore. Mark is a Bloomberg Markets Live strategist. Mark, thank you so much for being here. We're focused a lot on the FED and the very high likelihood of a rate cut next week. It's kind of interesting that in spite of market expectations of that twenty five bases point rate cut, the dollar is holding in relatively well against the majors. We were a little weak today in New York, trading only by around three tens of one percent. If you look at the Bloomberg Dollars Spot Index, what are you seeing now when you look at the currency markets.
Speaker 2: That's really a function of the other side of the story. So although the dollar story is becoming relatively clear in the sense that we're expecting lower interest rates, but yields are still relatively high on a global basis. We haven't yet got a very strong theme in favor of the other currents. You need the Euro and the yen especially to have a story of their own why people want to buy those currencies as an alternative to the US dollar. It's emerging, but it isn't something that people are willing to bet a lot of money on yet. Until that happens, the dollar will be able to retain a reasonable level. It probably it is probably going to be a drawn out, like a slow motion action as we go into twenty twenty six, with the expectations that they're going to be further interest rate declines in the United States. Gradually the yield differentials will narrow between the US and other countries. It will undermine the US dollar. But the real kicker will only come when people are really bullish, for example, on Europe, when they see the potential for the European Central Bank to maybe start turning towards higher interest rates, when they see the European economies outperforming. When that kind of confidence comes in, then the Euro's story in itself becomes very clear, very tangible. People want to put money into the Europe and it will mostly be at the expense of the US dollar. We haven't yet fully reached that point yet yet.
Speaker 1: When we consider the end and the recent commands from BOJ, Governor Will way to talking up the prospects of a raid hike. I think right now money markets are implying maybe eighty percent probability that the BOJ will raise its policy rate on the nineteenth. Doesn't that do anything to strengthen the currency.
Speaker 2: The trouble with the end situation is that the Bank of Japan, even if they read twenty five basis points, which as you say, looks pretty much a done deal now in December, they are still way below the neutral rate. And if you look at the time gap. Since Governor Luada came in, it has been changing policy, which is a good thing, but we've had CPI running inflation levels around three percent for a long time. The target rate, if they raise it will go up to zero point seventy five. That's still deeply negative real rates in Japan. That's what undermines the Japanese currency, and nobody is expecting that gap to be narrowed in a quick basis, so even if they raise interest rates, And if you look at how long the time difference between the hikes under Auada, it's been many months. So we had one in January this year, We're likely to get one in December. That kind of time gap. If there's going to be another hike in twenty twenty sex it might not be intil the second.
Speaker 1: Half of the year.
Speaker 2: If traders see that, then they're fairly confident that the end will underperform. We might see Dolly Yen go a bit lower because of the US side as well. They're going to be lowering interest rates, but it's not going to be accelerating at a fast pace because the bank is still nowhere near the neutral rate.
Speaker 1: We've had a number of bond auctions for the Japanese market in the last week. I think we have a thirty year later today. How have things been performing. What's the appetite for Jgb's been like.
Speaker 2: Pretty mixed overall. As we approach the auctions, people are tending to price in higher yields, giving a concession. As it happens, the tenure went reasonably well this week. Actual demand at the auction itself was quite decent, and yet yesterday in the regular Bank of Japan operations, investors were quite willing to sell short dated bonds aggressively back to the central bank, so they're clearly expecting the interest rate hike to come. Jgbs are being pushed low again today head of the thirty year auction which is coming. Yields are at record higher levels in the thirty year They started selling these bonds only in nineteen ninety nine, and this week we reached the highest levels we a scene. So again they're pricing in a worst case scenario, so the auction itself may go okay. In the background, the big picture is that ten year yield is approaching the two percent area. Now that is where we may see some long term investors in Japan start to come in, but we haven't reached it yet. In the meantime, the whole Japanese curve is under pressure. That's roiling markets across the world. Until we see whether or not there is real genuine support for Japanese yields and the ten uere around two percent, people would assume that the Japanese market is the place to avoid.
Speaker 1: I want to change gears. Talk a little bit about what's been going on in South Korea today, notwithstanding where I'm seeing the costs be down about nine tens of one percent at the moment, but the South Korean equity market overall has been outperforming so many markets in the Asia Pacific, And in the last couple of days we had that upward revision from the Bok on a third quarter economic growth I think at one point thy percent growth rate quarter on quarter, which seemed to be stunning. What's happening here and is this kind of momentum likely to continue?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: You'd think probably getting a bit overdone in the short term. But there are a few reasons why Koreas had an exceptional year. And it is ironic that we're talking about it now because it's a week to the year since they had the military action when they imposed martial law in Korea, and people thought, oh, that's the end of a career, but that actually was a turning point. Since then, they've got a new president, new policy is much more aggressive intervention from the government that's helped to boost the economy. Korean companies have proved themselves to be right at the forefront of the AI boom and other parts of the tech sector as well, and they've been keeping the currency relatively cheap as well. So from an investor's point of view, they know that exporters have an edge because the currency is helping them. They see the government doing the right moves and that's helped the Koreans, which are coming from a low base, that's helped them to be some of the best performers in Asia this year. They are starting to get a little bit expensive relative to the rest of Asia at this stage, so it will need some new drivers. We or may not see those as we go into twenty twenty six, but based on where we are now, unless we see some new developments in tech which really support Korean companies, we've probably seen the best that we're going to see in the Korean markets for a while.
Speaker 1: So have the US tariffs imposed on South Korea? Have they provided any kind of limitation here? Or have South Korean exporters been able to overcome them and kind of build those tariffs into their price structure in a way that has not been dad fremantle.
Speaker 2: They've found lots of ways around it, but the tariff is a relative game within Asia, and the only person that really seems to be outstandingly as a loser at the moment is India. Everybody else has renegotiate thanks to China and the way that China have stood up to the United States on the tariffs to a certain extent, that has helped everybody else be able to make adjustments. At the moment, India is the outlier from that point of view, even though it's not really hurting their stock market too much. The currency is collapsing though, so everything. If you look across whether Koreas being compared to Taiwan, it's being compared to Hong Kong, to China, it's pretty much in the same ballpark as all of those. So it's not winning or losing to a greater or lesser degree. So from that point of view, there's a kind of a neutrality about how tariffs are being played out in Asia.
Speaker 1: Mark, Before I let you go, I have to get your take on China. Next week we get the inflation data, and we know the economy in China right now is mired heavily in this deflationary trap. I think it may be concerning some people more than others. Beijing seems to be a little lax in addressing it, though can you make sense of that.
Speaker 2: It's a big complicated picture. They probably have already done a lot of stimus issues. They probably don't want to be seen to be the only person providing help to the economy. They'd like to see the stock market take care of itself. More private investment coming as well. It's likely that there will be more government support to market. You may have to wait till an early part of next year before we see that, but clearly they've done so much they want to stand back a bit and see how does that really play out. So far, it's been a little bit underwhelming, but it is early stages and they will get help if the rest of the world economy continues to do okay, China will benefit as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, great stuff, Mark, always a pleasure, Thank you so very much. Mark Cranfield, Bloomberg Markets Live Strategist, joining from Singapore here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Detbreak Asia podcast. I'm deg Prisner. Financial markets are widely expecting the Fed to lower interest rates next week. Even so, policymakers, i think it's fair to say, have been torn as they attempt balance the slowdown that we have seen in the American labor market with still elevated inflation. Today, the ISM reported activity among services expanded at a slightly faster pace in the month of November. Perhaps more importantly, the index of prices paid for services and materials showed the slowest growth in seven months. Now, that could suggest some easing in inflationary pressures. Now, on Friday markets, we'll get a delayed reading on the Fed's preferred measure of inflation. The PCE. Economists are projecting a third straight increase in the core PCE by two tenths of one percent. If so, that would keep the year over year figure hovering just around three percent, and it would suggest that inflationary pressures are stable yet still sticky. Let's bring Adam Turnquist into the conversation. Adam is chief technical strategist at LPL Financial. Adam, thank you so much for taking time to chat with us. What did you make of this ISM print, particularly on the prices paid side.
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly came at a good time after the ADP report, because the market was trading a little bit lower on that news than the ISM came out.
Speaker 4: We'll call it save the day, at least for price action. Today.
Speaker 3: You had As you mentioned, the price is paid component coming down, new orders holding above fifty a little bit slower than last month, but still in positive territory or expansionary territory. And then employment ticked up month over month, another good sign that I think helped offset some of the weakness that we've seen in the labor market data.
Speaker 1: There was a very interesting report to my mind in the FT today talking about the Treasury Department soliciting feedback on the nomination the potential nomination here of Kevin Hassett as FED chair. Other candidates were also evaluated in this one on one conversation format with a number of executives at major Wall Street firms and big players in the bondmark. I need to point out a number. We're worried about Hasset's alignment with Trump, and they said that Hasset could agitate for indiscriminate rate cuts even if inflation continues to run above that two percent target. It's there right now, but I'm wondering whether we still need to consider this idea of FED independence. Is that something that concerns you?
Speaker 4: It could for right now.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's part of the conversation in a big way, it's maybe on the back burner when you look at the market reaction to some of the news and just the betting markets. When you look at the Kevin Hasset odds of getting the nod for the FED chair, the market seems to like that. I know, Kevin Hassets mentioned it himself to the media, and that goes back to your point about him being too closely aligned with maybe the president or the president's objectives. But at the end of the day, it's still the Fed, right, There's policies in place that protect one member from completely running the table in terms of where monetary policy goes. It's really going to take him to convince the other members to lean more dubbish. If that is the case next year, how.
Speaker 1: Many more rate cuts are you expecting? I mean, if we do indeed get twenty five basis points in easing next week on the tenth, I mean, are you expecting a lot more in the way of Fed rate cuts?
Speaker 3: So the easy question, or the easy part of that question, next next week I think is a done deal, especially after the ADAP report, but even before that, very high odds and the FED funds futures market for a rate cut it's really going to boil down to the commentary and the summary of economic projections. The labor market clearly trendy lower, we'll call it stall speed. That's probably front and center on the Fed's mind and keeping them up at night. But I do think we have to be cognizant of inflation. Right we have commodities moving higher and in fact, the Bloomberg Commodity Index breaking out to new multi year highs. Think of that as an input cost and a leading indicator for inflation. I think it could complicate the overall inflation story for the FED and potentially leave the FED in a tough position next year. We do think the rate cutting cycle will continue. I think maybe on a nearturn basis, though the market expectations are getting a little a bit of ahead of themselves in terms of what to expect next week from the Fed in terms of how dubblish they're going to come out.
Speaker 1: So where does that leave you? Then that thinking, where does that lead you in terms of evaluating opportunities in the equity market.
Speaker 3: So for the equity market, we're bullish going into twenty twenty six. We do think there could be some near term volatility, especially With this latest pullback and some of the leadership trends that we've seen take place over the last month, the market has turned a little bit more defensive.
Speaker 4: There's been some risk aversion in.
Speaker 3: Overall retail participation in US equities. That's a new development we haven't seen in seven months. So on a near term.
Speaker 4: Basis, we'll call it mildly cautious if we can go there.
Speaker 3: But I think the playbook for next year is really going to be by the dip, the bull market will continue. We have our base case no recession. We think there'll be stimulative measures from the One Big Beautiful Bill Act that will support not only Corporate America but also the lower end of the consumer with some of these tax incentives and higher rebate checks coming in the first half. We also have our expectation for continued cutting from the Fed, although maybe two to three rate cuts next year's is probably probably the most likely scenario as it stands now, and look at Corporate America's doing quite well. We learned how resilient they are in the wake of higher effective teriff rates. Earning's power remains strong. The AI team we think will continue, so a pretty good backdrop as we look ahead to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: To what extent do you expect the AI theme to continue. I mean, we're three years into this right now, and it seems as though there is no end in sight. There have been maybe a few moments, particularly in the month of November, some naval gazing that allow the market to consider the fact that some of these evaluations are stretched. But are you still optimistic that the momentum here is positive for the foreseeable future?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 3: When you look at the capex spending rates among the hyperscalers that's continuing to grow over twenty percent on a compounded annual growth rate, we don't really see that slowing down in this AI arms race. I think the big story for next year it's going to be a show me story. Right when you think about the return on investment. We started to see that when Meta reported earnings. There's more scrutiny because a lot of the hyperscalers they've been blowing through their free cash flow and now they've turned to the debt market in a big way.
Speaker 4: So you're adding debt to the balance sheet.
Speaker 3: That brings in added risk, added volatility, and of course added scrutiny. In terms of what's the actual return on all of this spending. I think that's going to be the big story next year.
Speaker 1: Are you tempted to look for opportunities offshore right now? If you're concerned about devaluation and maybe there's a question mark about the degree to which the American economy can still grow and drive a lot of these corporate earnings. Are you tempted maybe to look at a place like Europe or even markets in Asia.
Speaker 4: The emerging markets look really strong.
Speaker 3: They've had a surprising year in terms of out performance even in international developed so a lot of countries in Europe have done quite well, especially on a relative basis. I think the big question is going to be the dollar on that trade or investment. The dollars still in this what we call a secular up trend. If we start to see the dollar index roll over, that's our queue to start kicking the tires on some of these I would say emerging market countries. Look at Brazil, look at Mexico, and some countries in Latin America. There's some other countries in the Asian part of the world that have done quite well. We think those trends could accelerate especially if the dollar breaks down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Here, Adam, always a pleasure. Thank you so very much. Adam turnquiz there. He is the chief tech strategist at LPL Financial. Joining us here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Chrisner, and this is Bloomberg