Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel, Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, walcome move the sticks, DJ, Bucky, Rhett back with you as we get a chance to look back at a couple of Monday nighters and have some some rookie discussions as we do each and every week here on the show. Buck, what what level of surprise do you have that Ret's not wearing Indiana gear right now?
Speaker 3: I'm really I'm really surprised because, like between this, there are a couple of things that I can count on for both of you guys. October is full of optimism when it comes to IU basketball. Oh wow, Yes, a lot of optimism. There's a lot of stuff that, like I'm here about early in October, November, December, it begins to fade and by Jade.
Speaker 2: We're in the chat. Look at the chat. Look at chat, Buck, look at the chat.
Speaker 1: We got this thing going on. What's the status? What do I need to know about this rivalry?
Speaker 2: So here's this is all you need to know here, this is what you need do. So the team that Bucky was a fan of his whole life, having grown up in the South, we're getting ready to knock them out in this wild card round the Braves, and then we're going to go to the adopted team that Buck picked up, as you know, just like, hey, I guess I'll just be I guess I'll just be a Dodger fan now. And then we're going to knock them out and then we're gonna have our hands full, probably with the Phillies. So that's kind of what I never.
Speaker 3: I never liked the Braves because all of my friends like the Braves, and so I was always counterculture. Yeah, never, I never. I never got into the breaks. Okay, all right, so that's where we are, baseball.
Speaker 4: Let me know what I need to watch that. Appreciate, appreciate you guys. Keep up.
Speaker 2: Hey, you want to come on down? You want to come down for some playoff baseball down to the same Diego. I got a ticket for you anytime you want, Buddy, that's wow.
Speaker 1: That's quite an offer. If you can give you a car service for the next four four hour, four hour trip one way.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm saving Bucky's invite until we get to the NLCS. Once you know the Dodgers are done and his interest is Wayne, I'll get hit Bucky down here and we'll get him to a playoff.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: All right, yes, that's a pretty good deal. Everybody wins here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see what it looks like.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's get to the doubleheader last night. By the way, was it not? Was it not accurate? When we previewed these two games, we spent all that time talking about the Seahawks Lions, and when we were looking forward to it, fantastic game, I mean, just a track meet, unbelievable plays, high energy. And then I tried to get you guys to sell me on h on the other game with the O was terrible, that the was terrible.
Speaker 1: I gave you the I gave Will Levis and the Titans the blueprint. I said, just mayo quarterbacks, decisions made with good discernment. And here you go, it wasn't him possession, bang, interception, and then he gets hurt and then and then it's it's our it's our guy.
Speaker 4: Mason Rudolf.
Speaker 2: Ran after the drafts Mason Rudolph, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: While we're just on that game here real quick, Well, why is it that it's been so hard, you guys think for the Dolphins to find success running the football, whereas that has been a hallmark of what they've done offensively, finding those explosive runs.
Speaker 4: And you know, now when they really need them, they can't seem to squeeze some of those out.
Speaker 1: What have you guys seen from the Dolphins run game that that's just kind of been non existent thus far.
Speaker 2: I think two things. I think when it comes to the run game, You know, you have to be better than people up front. That's one way obviously you get it done. You just flat out better than everybody number one or number two. You have the threat of the pass, especially downfield that you're going to be able to scare safeties out of there. They don't really have either. And to be honest with you, if you look at all the defensive metrics for the Tennessee Titans, they're really really good. Up from Cavandre Sweat's playing good. I mean, they've got they've got a really good group there. So I give it's gosh, who is it Wilson? Who is their DC? Yes? It had been with the Eagles. Yeah, And dude, give Dinard a lot of love and a lot of credit because that defense is really really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that I am surprised at the Dolphins, Right, So it's always a team that we fall in love with. We love the bells and whistles that they had. We talked about the speed factor in those things, and we have always kind of I would say, said that two was overrated because of the weapons around him. We're seeing that when you remove him, this offense doesn't operate the same without, which may validate Chris Greer and those other guys for paying him and why they see him as a QB one when everyone on the outside is like, oh man, they can get anybody to do it. It looks he's a Jenga piece. It doesn't work without Tua as the quarterback. And it's crazy to think that the team, as talented as they are on the perimeter cannot exist without the starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: How about Rhett on the other side of it. You know, Mason Rudolph, He's gonna have a job forever, Like if you prove that you're competent in these short spurts, which he's done now at a couple of.
Speaker 1: Times Steelers last year, right, he just kept paying. I wonder how long the Titans hang on. I know that I know Brian Kalahan. Callahan has said that, you know, Will Levis is still one hundred percent to quarterback, and he'll go if he's one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: But I mean, if you can get it done.
Speaker 1: With run game and really good defense and competent quarterback play, it doesn't turn.
Speaker 4: The ball over. What do you I mean, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if they kind of kept that thing in there going that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, it's still you've invested in Levis just in terms of the of the Capitol, and he has had some decent moments. It's just really been the two or three boneheaded plays that he makes. Yeah, he's just got to clean that up. And I think that comes more playing. I don't think they're going to throw him away at this point in time. But no, I was singing of it more buck. Just from the standpoint of man, some of these teams like they just get caught, their starter goes down. Coming off of a year where we had whatever sixty six sixty seven quarterbacks that played, it's just hard. I'm not picking on Skyler Thompson, but it's just hard to believe that you're a team with champion Chip aspirations like the Dolphins had, and knowing Tua's injury history, that that that was your plan and then okay, so then that's gone. So now we go to the like we're scrambling. Now we're in a scrambled so it's just like we're going to try and go on this whole carousel. It just seems to me like there should have been more foresight there to have more of a plan in place. I'm just going by what I saw Joe Flacco do with the Indianapolis Colts and going, you know, if you're a team with championship asp rations, you need to do like that waiting in the wings if he has to get out there and play.
Speaker 3: DJ It's one of the things that I never understand why you won't pay significant money for a quality backup. It's a position that should be regarded as the twenty third starter on the team, and I know some teams treated as such. But when you lose your starting quarterback, if you don't have a legitimate player, your season is up in smokes smoke. And so for me, the Dolphins, particularly with Tua who has had injury history, concussions, in those things, you would think that they would have paid a premium have a starting caliber quarterback in the fold ready to go if he's not there. To me, that's mismanagement, coaching, front office, whatever it is. That should have been a priority at all times. I have a quarterback that is ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my takeaway there.
Speaker 3: Let's let's preshow is available maybe.
Speaker 4: Right by the way I did Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that that's a popular one too. You see his name kicked around. I saw Davante Adams name kicked around on the old innerwebs this morning. That that stuff's kicking back up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Tony Pierce liked an Instagram post or something that said that Davante has probably played his last game.
Speaker 4: As a Raider. Really yeah, I saw that go out there today.
Speaker 1: And then apparently, you know, Davante and Antonio Pears haven't spoken since that was discovered.
Speaker 3: So I mean, let's let's be real. I get I don't know if you guys had an opportunity to watch Receiver on Netflix, it certainly didn't put Devanta yeah in a good light. And when you think about like culture and chemistry and what you're trying to build, if you're Antonio Peers. You need all your veterans helping you pull it in the right direction. It doesn't seem like Devanta Adams wants to play nice in the sandbox. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a moved. I know the deadline has always been the target date, but what are we waiting on? Why?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you remember, by the way, do you guys remember before the season started when I said that Rock Bauers would be the best player on their offense and people lost their minds. The Davante Adams folks lost their minds. And I'm sitting here going, that's the future, that's who they're going to build around. And yeah, that just float around. So I don't know how much we put into that, whether that's legit or not. It's definitely fascinating, and don't I wouldn't bad n eye if they did. I could make a strong case that the Raiders are Everything that they do this year should be aimed towards next year, even though they find themselves too and two. Yeah, so man, we'll see there. All right, let's get onto this other game. This was the fun one buck Lions Seahawks Jared Goff the Perfect Game eighteen for eighteen caught a touchdown as well. Jamison Williams got loose. This was kind of like the full like they have those air shows, you know, like you go and it's like, hey, this is all the different you know, look at all the different planes, look at all the different things that we have at our disposal. This was an air show. This was them just showing off all the different ways that the Detroit Lions can score points.
Speaker 3: Man, it's so fun to watch this offense. Heads off to Ben Johnson tar Heel for being able to get you off point and doing all the creative stuff that you want to see. But man, like you love being able to look back at your draft notes and say, oh yeah, I might have been okay. On display, Jamison Williams James and Williams catches dead diagonal coming across the field and I mean it is like a four by one given to him in exchange on zoom and the Lions being able to kind of put the pieces of the puzzle together offensively. So you got a marras Saint Brown, you didn't have Jameison Williams. They pick up Tim Patrick, you know, to bring him in. He's not the speaker that he was, but another big, sturdy receiver that they.
Speaker 2: Can go to.
Speaker 3: And they just have a unique ability to play with finesse or force. They can throw it around the yard when they want to, but when the game gets hairy, they can hand it to either one of those backs. And oh, by the way, I didn't know David David Montgomery had a hit stick that he can absorb big blows and people and go through stuff. And him and Jami Gibbs are more similar than different in terms of the ability to get a space and create man Brad Holmes in that front office and Dan Campbell, the way they've taken the talent and put it in positions to succeed on offense is amazing. It is a fun team to watch because they have all the stuff that you want to like look, pay money to go see, while also having the old school stuff that you got to have to win at the highest level.
Speaker 4: And look, I think you know.
Speaker 1: I talked about it as we were previewing this game, like I felt like this was one of those games where you still wanted to see some of that grit and some of that physicality and in the run game from the Lions, and yeah, Jared Goff went eighteen for eighteen, and they had some of those explosive plays. But j Where Gibbs went for seventy eight, Montgomery went for forty and then caught that that ball that went for forty that was insane too, that you're talking about with the hit stick.
Speaker 4: I still think that, like, even though.
Speaker 1: They are they can be so explosive with you know, you know, Laporta went had one to go for thirty, Jameson Williams for seventy, Tim Patrick had won for twenty nine. They picked up off the scrap heap, right, They've got that explosive ability. But I think when you're rooted in that toughness and you're rooted in that physicality, man, it makes you so much more dangerous. Because we've seen now you can you know, you can say what you want about the teams that the Seahawks have beaten to start out three to zero, but I think that Mike McDonald defense is playing some good ball out there, and they got some really good players. But the fact that they had trouble dealing with all the different ways that the Lions can attack, I think says something about the staying power of this Lion's offense and the different ways that they can.
Speaker 2: Get after it. I'll get you one point on the line, and then I'll get over to the Seahawks. But you guys talking about Jamison Williams pulled up his report. Tall, lean, explosive, wide out. Everything he does on the field is sudden and fast. Flies off the line in his release. Just when you think he's reached top speed, he can tap a gear that very few possess. Turns quick hitters into long touchdowns and climbs on top of coverage. In every game viewed at his best on runaway routes, but flashes the ability to get in out of breaks. Hands are inconsistent, though, Let's too many balls into his body that results in drops after the catch. Williams destroys pursuit angles with his speed. His production as a gunner on the punt team speaks to his competitiveness. Had a torn acl and the college football playoff, but once healthy, could emerge as one of the premier deep threats in the NFL. But I mean, that's what it is. He needed to get healthy and he needed to kind of find his Niche find his role in an offense It's got a lot of really stellar pieces, and I think they're kind of figuring out how to deploy him and how to use him. So good development there. I mean, look go ahead, Red.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I was just going to say, and I don't want to end that conversation quickly, but before we left this game, I was going to say, kind of.
Speaker 4: Similarly, on the other side, now that.
Speaker 1: Kenneth Walker's back healthy, I think you're seeing the different ways that Gino Smith and the Seahawks offense can really get after it too. Because Walker took over that game in the second half. He was incredible with those three touchdowns in the way that you know he's got a great combination we saw at Michigan State and that one year right after transferring in from Wake, Like, he's.
Speaker 4: Got that physicality but also.
Speaker 1: That game breaking speed that can get you, you know, turn six into into sixty or you know, turn eight into twenty eight pretty quickly. And you saw him reverse field on that one touchdown and out run the rest of the defense. I thought, that's going to give the Seahawks, if you could stay healthy, a big piece moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would say this about the Seahawks in a game to turn into a track meet where maybe you wanted if they could go and kind of play that style. Really impressed in the ability to flip the switch. And I would say it wasn't their best night, but the fact that they could go score for score against the Detroit Lions really bowls well for how they could finish up down the stretch. Really explosive offense. We know the defense is gonna be right because Mike McDonald does a great job defensively. But I would be encouraged if I am the coaching staff looking at how the offense performed against what I think is one of the teams just the class of the NFC. I think the Seattle Seahawks certainly acquitted themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, no, that's where I was going to go, guys, You guys got me. I mean, that's exactly right game. No, No, that was just I came away from this game on the Seahawks side of things, and I feel like we've said this, We said this about Buffalo after their loss to the Ravens, Like I think nothing less of the Seahawks coming out of that game. I came away saying, Okay, you're gonna find yourself in a shootout. Geno can go toe to toe with the most explosive offenses in this league. If not for to be honest to DK fumbling and then a non PI call that was pretty egregious on DK. There's a couple there's you know, like like any NFL game, there's two or three plays you can say this changes the outcome. But more more so than that, you just eye test wise, Seattle belonged on the field with Detroit, and Detroit's team I picked to win the NFC, and Seattle didn't look out of place at all. So I comeboy, pretty encouraged if you're on the Seahawks side of things. In that defense, that was just a buzzsall they ran into. There was nothing you could do to slow down the Lions on a day like that one. All right, let's say quick break, we come back. We'll get to the rookie draft recap, show you where we stand in h and pick some players for week five. Right after this. All right, we're back rookies, time for the rookie Draft. Let's look back first before we look forward off of last week. Buck Man, you're a rolling right now. You got six points because you ended up with with Jane Daniels. He got your points obviously, BTJ, huge game for him, Brian Thomas Junior or your home team. And then you went Coleman who got you? He won that? He won that one to cheese. Buck, you had a you had a really good week. Uh yeah, I don't know how he had more points than Bowers didn't get much.
Speaker 3: Hey, we scoring touch was scoring touchdown. They had a chance to you know, I think those guys look close to the last couple of weeks. I had a chance to see Kevin in pre game. Give him a little peptal. Hey man, Yeah, we gotta get this thing going BTJA my fantasy team, we gotta get going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, neighbors. Neighbors got me some points though, so that was good. So I ended up Bucky had six points, I had four, Rett two. So when we look at the season total, BUCkies in first place with twenty on behind him with seventeen, and Reht's got some work to do at eleven. But the good news Reht is it's a long season. You've got plenty of time here, plenty of time. You haven't found your guy yet. Normally Red it's a guy that he kind of rides that Horse all the way through. He hasn't found that guy yet. But today we've got Bucky rhtt than myself for the draft order. Keep in mind, Lions, Chargers, Eagles, and Titans are on buys. I don't think that's going to impact us at all. So maybe, yeah, mconachie, that's about it. Go ahead, Buck, what do you want to do?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: You go? Ja and Daniels.
Speaker 3: I'm locked. I'm locked in. Yeah, Daniels for life.
Speaker 1: Daniels, how did you have him last week and not have the number one pick.
Speaker 2: That I maybe I went neighbors first, but technically technically I was not there. But I believe those were my instructions to the biles, So I have to take that. I have to take that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, give me neighbors. Give me neighbors. Even though you know they got the Giants.
Speaker 1: Going up against the Seahawks defense and they got to make the cross country trip.
Speaker 4: I think neighbors talent travels.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go with my back to backers here. I'm gonna go Marvin Harrison and you're in Brock Bowers. I feel like this is like the same guys that end up going every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's all right. That's that's where we're at until somebody emerges. Okay, it's on back. I feel like I gotta go exave your worthy here, guys, I gotta go now that where she Rice is out, does Worthy step into a bigger role at home against the Saints trying to stay undefeated and give me a four two to one speed all right?
Speaker 2: All right, we buck you get back to backers.
Speaker 3: Look if it a bro, don't don't fix it. So we're gonna go with the same team all over again. Yeah, Jay, we're gonna go with both of those guys. Win a team, don't mess up the combination. We're gonna keep riding the hot hands, all right, go ahead, I.
Speaker 1: Gotta find a quarterback here. I mean, I'm gonna go kleb at home as opposed. I mean like, at least we're pushing the ball down the field that you come.
Speaker 3: We're inspired by the Denver offense last week.
Speaker 4: I mean, in them on soon. I get it, but look that could surprise we shall see. I'll take Caleb.
Speaker 2: So you got Bob huh, Yeah, I got Bo next. That wraps us up there, all right, all right, I just feel like, man, it just keeps falling Bucky's way. I just it does. The draft is falling his way. So we'll see if we can make a dent. We've got to catch up here. I think Bowers has got a big, big game coming here soon. Gosh, they gotta give him a ball more. All right, that's gonna do it for us today, guys, you have anything else you want to add before we jump out? Here was a quick episode. I do want to remind everybody we do have Luke Keikley coming on the show next. We've ben lookout for that for that pod.
Speaker 5: But anything else you want to do here go ahead, USC Minnesota, USC Minnesota this week from Minneapolis, So another chance to check out Miller Moss, who.
Speaker 4: Of course will be a draft eligible quarterback this year.
Speaker 2: He won't come out, No chance, he won't come out.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 2: His mom was a professor at USC. He's loved us like to.
Speaker 3: He graduated undergrad like two years ago, a PhD baby, really smart guy.
Speaker 1: But Jacobe Lane is a guy I'll be keeping my eye on for sure. Two touchdowns kind of breaking.
Speaker 2: True sophomore, right true sophomore, A.
Speaker 4: Young young guy. But they're they're they're playing well on offense right now.
Speaker 1: And what he marks is another guy we ought to have on our list down the line at the running spot, just to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Although the other freshman kids or maybe maybe he's a recher freshman or sophomore joiners got more juice, Yeah, probably a little bit more. What do you got, Buck?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, it's it's postseason baseball time, So I would just tell everybody make watch the Dodge's not too late that your showing a tiny Jerseys to kind of get ready. We normally don't talk a lot about the Dodgers. You're trying to keep it nice and low key. But DJ's just kind of bring it up. He's poking the bear. He's poking the bear. I feel like the translator is gonna get to Otani and feel like, hey man, we gotta we gotta take care of this one for Buck and for Singer. We need to dedicate the postseason to.
Speaker 4: Our our guy, David Singer.
Speaker 2: Let's go by the way. I don't know, I didn't I have not studied the language, I'll be honest. So what what samp? I know what Japanese is for sweep? Do we know what that? What? That is. I don't know. I have to find that out because uh, that's what happens, that's what I will. I'm going to look that up before the postseasons. But I mean, look, the Docters have been they've been bounced in the first their first round the last two years against the divisional team, and that's probably who they're going to be playing again coming forward here, So we'll see. It'll be fun looking forward to that. By the way, before you to be serious for just a moment, especially with Bucky and myself having spent so much time in North Carolina. Bucky grew up there, went to college there. I went to college up in Boone. It's just been devastated by this hurricane. So just if you if you're listening to us in that area, we're thinking about you, we're praying for you, and if you can, there's lots of avenues you can you can find to try and donate some money and help because there just got devastated. If you haven't seen the pictures, it's it's it's brutal. So having been up in Boone just a week before and then seeing the devastation a week later just heartbreaking. So Buck, I know, obviously you've got a lot of ties to the area there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of ties, a lot of family friends who have people that live in that area. That area is obviously kind of resorting when you think about the buildtmore and all the things that were in Ashville and in that part of North Carolina. So just praying for all the folks there. Hopefully they can work their way through the devastation. But yeah, anything that you can do to make it better for those folks certainly be greatly appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think we just give one final shout out to our friend and colleague Sarah Walsh, who his family lives there in clear Water in Florida and you know, had to evacuate in the middle of the night a neighbors house caught on fire. I mean, like they've got dealing with some stuff down there too. And she's out here in Los Angeles with us this week, going to host GMFB for the rest of the week. So shout out to Sarah for continuing to grind while they got a lot of stuff they're dealing with back there at home, as are a lot of folks there in Florida as well.
Speaker 4: Just a devastating late hurricane season.
Speaker 2: No question. Well that's going to do it for us today. Appreciate you guys hanging with us, and we'll see you tomorrow right here on with the sticks.
Speaker 4: Statt befo