Speaker 1: Sabrina. Even I've heard of the movie we're doing today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean what does.
Speaker 1: That tell you. I mean, there's not many, but I've heard of this one because you know, I think even if you didn't watch Dizzy Channel at the time, which I didn't, and you didn't watch the show this was based on, which of course I didn't, everybody heard this name. It was just in the zeitgeist everywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean absolutely, this was I feel like the platform that was a good foundation that then helped when the Cheetah Girls came out, and then even more when Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana came out.
Speaker 1: So Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana were after this.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was basically on the channel. It was Lizzie McGuire, that's so raven, then Hannah Montana.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. I didn't know the order was.
Speaker 2: There kind of their bright new shiny star that was happening as it was. I think they had filmed the first the first season, or they were in depths of filming it before we even did the first Cheetah Girls, So it kind of really like we stacked on top of that so raven and then you know it was kind of like a stacking thing. And then after that when we went for our second movie at the upfront is when they were releasing Hannah Montana and that was gotcha. It's everything that they did with Lizzie McGuire, boom on the next level, like five levels up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense because I didn't know which order they came in. Okay, so Lizzy McGuire was the og. Gotcha. Well, obviously we were talking about the Lizzie McGuire movie. There's no get around that. So first though, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and double Team still sucked. I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabriena Brian.
Speaker 1: That was for one of our producers because we just got into another double teamed conversation. Anyway, people this time were going all the way to Rome kind of with one of Disney's most memorable characters. It's a movie that found itself with a newly minted cult status in the twenty twenties. That's right, we're talking about two thousand and threes cinematic finale to the channel's Lizzie McGuire series, which is creatively titled The Lizzie McGuire Movie. There you go, So did you? Sorry, we're just kidding. Alrighty, we're already getting We just got from one of our producers in the comments there was absolutely nothing wrong with this movie. Nothing. I beg to differ, and we'll get into it. But, Sabrina, did you watch the original TV show? You did? Didn't you?
Speaker 2: I did? This was when? So two thousand and three was the finale of this show, right, they had two very long I guess what we found out recently, two very long seasons.
Speaker 1: And technically three years.
Speaker 2: It hits the sixty five episode ark. But so that's interesting to find out. But so, you know, you're talking like three years of it, and these were the three years that I was like hardcore auditioning and auditioning and auditioning. Okay, damn TV shows on the channel, these.
Speaker 1: Freaking did you ever audition for Lizzie Maguire?
Speaker 2: I bet you, because I was on the Jersey. I know I auditioned for Jet Jackson, and I know I ad I probably did because I'm telling you any kind anytime there was like a role for somebody who could look you know that fourteen ish, and that's what I looked that I got. I was lucky enough to get an audition, so I'm sure I did. They kind of all meshed together at this point, but I was watching the channel because I was like kind of studying it, you know, like what do I need to do?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Even just to the point of wanting to see what they wear, so that when I went into an audition, I looked like a Disney kid, you know. So I was watching Lizzie McGuire a lot, and I thought Hillary Duff was thebomb dot com. Like, I loved her. I thought she was so cute. She was for me, the first one that I show saw on the channel that was kind of pushing more fashionable choices that like with her hair, just very old like end of nineties style with her hair early two thousands like she was. She was a cool kid, even though she was like playing younger. So yeah, and then I followed her career as she really took off into being an app star and star and all of that, Like I followed that career, and yeah, she was I loved.
Speaker 1: Hillary Duff, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Knock knock, who's there? Will?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I never watched the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you did know because you could not.
Speaker 1: You could just know, like Canna Montana or any of those kind of names, like Lizzie mcgre Everyone knew the name Lizzy McGuire if you didn't know the show. Everyone knew the name Hannah Montana if you didn't know the show. These these were everyone knew, high school musical, the Cheetah Girls. These are things that they popped off of the Disney Channel into just mainstay pop culture. Now I never knew what they exactly were, but of course everybody knew the names like Lizzie McGuire and stuff like that. And now we talked about this when we recapped the Even Stevens movie. But it was a common move for Disney to pay for only two or three seasons of a show. We talked about that the sixty five and out rule, saving them the required bumps for producers and talent. But then they'd green led a movie to wrap up the story on the way out and pay totally different contracts. Lizzy McGuire the TV show only ran again technically two seasons, but that meant sixty five episodes, if you can believe it. They did a lot of shooting in two years now. We'll talk about this more in detail later, but the show was obviously a vehicle for Hillary Duff, one of the biggest young stars the Channel had in the early oughts, a double threat in acting and music and was completely homegrown this She was like a Disney Channel star, one of the originals. So the Cheetah Girls Lizybiguire timeline seems to have been going on at the same time, right around that time you said you were a fan. Did you get to know her at all or no?
Speaker 2: You know, I ran into her sister more often. So another thing that I don't know if you are aware of or not, but like her and her sister somewhat teamed up to do some of the music and things like that. Right, So her sister would end up being on either set hanging out with someone like I think she for some reason in my head, I feel like she was on like when we did The Sweet Life of Zach and Cody or something. But she would be around the Channel doing certain things with the.
Speaker 1: Channel when I and that's Haley, right, it's Hailey Duff, Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Okay, and Hillary by the time, like I said, we filmed our movie in two thousand and two October or the movie came out in two thousand and three, so like by then, Hillary Duff was like a megastar al right, So she was already off, I swear I think at that point she was already booked a big arena tour and was doing like shows, And she was already off doing big, big things, not necessarily around the channel any longer, right, she.
Speaker 1: Was already breaking away. She was one of the first kind of big Disney Channel stars to break away, and yes, yeah, yeah, okay cool. Well, Duff was obviously the titular character who learns how to navigate personal and social issues common of our teenage years, which is rather vague and kind of the premise of every Disney show ever. But the big difference is we also get animated soliloquies of Lizzie to express the characters in her thoughts and emotions, little breaks of a more outgoing version of herself while she was more reserved and nervous in real life. Again, I think I knew that they were gonna do little animated stuff too, did you know going in that the animated stuff was all part.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure. I couldn't. I don't think I actually watched the no because I remember when she came out, I was I recognized that outfit, but the you know, I recognized outfit. I remember the finale outfit, thinking that outfit was like a really cool Disney outfit and she was showing her stomach and I knew that was a big no no on the channel. So I didn't remember if her cartoon character part like because that was what her like her subconscience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's supposed to be like that. Yeah, it's supposed to because.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if that. I didn't remember if that was in the movie. But I definitely one of my favorite. It was my favorite part of the show. I thought that was my I loved when that cartoon would come out and do her like over the top, you know, so so embarrassed, so scared, you know. I loved that that was the comedy part of it.
Speaker 1: That I that's cool. The movie was released on May second, two thousand and three, in movie theaters. Yes, in movie theaters. That's obviously the biggest difference between this movie and other d coms. It was actually the first movie made from a Disney Channel series to go into theaters. Huh. Plus, it came in at number two at the box office sort's opening weekend with seventeen point three million dollars, trailing only X two, the X Men sequel. It eventually raked in fifty five point five million worldwide, which is amazing because the movie only cost thirteen million bucks. So whoa people say, only a lot in Hollywood, but thirteen million dollar movie not a huge budget movie. To rake in fifty five point five million, it's a big win for the channelblute and as if that wasn't enough, it was released on DVD and Wait for Kids vhs Look it Up in August of the same year and sold two point nine million copies, given the studio another fifty million dollars in revenue. Duff also won both a Kids Choice Award and eighteen Choice Award. Not that now all this sounds incredible, right A movie awards tons of money, yet there is a lot of story left to tell because only two seasons aired, so again a lot left to on the table there. Well, anyway, Disney thought the same thing because in twenty nineteen they decided to get the gang back together for new Lizzie MacGuire series with Hillary Duff and put a sequel film in motion, but infamously, the studio shelled the entire thing even after starting production, for reasons that are still kind of a mystery. We might have solved some of them, but it's kind of a mystery. Supposedly, Disney had created differences with Duff and the showrunner, who were looking to go in a more adult direction. In turn, Disney pulled the plug, a rare occurrence considering they were in the middle of making it, which is nuts. And all this decision did was make the cult audience even hungrier for more Lizzie McGuire content. We've heard several things. It was going to be on Hulu originally, so they're going to make it more adult than Disney. Plus was being built at the time. They were going to go more kid so you never know what's happening or want to see how the sausage is made. But unfortunately for the sausage makers, no, Lizzy McGuire.
Speaker 2: This is a no go.
Speaker 1: Had you seen this movie? I know you've seen the show, but did you see the movie? Were you one of the people who went and saw it in the theater.
Speaker 2: No, there, I definitely did not see it in the theater. I know I did not do that, but I feel like.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: I know I didn't do that. I do remember seeing it somewhere, So I don't know if they ended up airing it ever on the channel, and that would have been a place.
Speaker 1: Or probably did eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know that I've seen I've seen it, but or if it was just seeing like commercials for it, I recognized it, but you know, I didn't. I didn't really remember. I think if I had seen it when I was in Italy at all these places that it looked like they were filming, I would have that would have sparked more of a memory. Yeah, that makes sense, and the fact that I didn't, I don't think I saw the whole thing I remember specifically, though. You know what I bet it is they probably showed her final performance on the channel as like a music videos.
Speaker 1: That's certainly possible.
Speaker 2: That is that I felt like I remember the front to back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew that. I don't know. I have no idea. Again, my guess I heard that there was a Lizzie McGuire movie because I don't know. I mean, you assume there is one, especially after they did like the Even Stevens movie. I guess I probably assume there was one, but no, I didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: Oh. I feel like that even Stephen One was wasn't that after this one?
Speaker 1: Though I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I can't remember with a timeline of that either. I know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's synopsis time, people, so let's scoop yourself a bowl of gelato and get into it. Shy kid Lizzy McGuire travels to Rome on a school trip and is mistaken for an Italian pop star, leading to a worldwin adventure of music, fashion, and self discovery. So this is a little like accidental Handah Montana. This seemed like. That's why I was asking asking which one happened first, because I didn't understand if this came first or Hanna, because I was like, it's kind of the same premise, but this came first.
Speaker 2: So yes, way years before, okay before.
Speaker 1: Well, they obviously liked it because then they made a whole show basically around it. Right. The Lizzie McGuire movie was directed by Jim Fall, which is a new name to us, and this was his only dcom. He first got attention for his nineteen ninety nine movie Trick, a sundance standout about a gay relationship that unfolds over to two twenty four hours. Lizzie McGuire was his big follow up, and he'd later go on to direct two thousand and six's Wedding Wars with John Stamos and Eric Dane, as well as holiday themed movies like Kristen's Christmas Past and Holly's Holiday. Hey. The titles work, they work. The movie stars Hillary Duff, who is a true teen idol, best known for the role right here. Outside of Lizzie, she appeared in movies like the dcom Cadet Kelly, which We Want to Get to Agent Cody Banks, Cheaper by the Dozen, and a Cinderella Story. She most recently starred and produced the How I Met Your Mother sequel How I Met Your Father. She also has numerous albums that she's released. She's a New York Times best selling author and has her own clothing line. She has one point two million kids. She is absolutely just an empire. She doesn't have that many children, but she's got a lot of kids. Where do we rank Hillary Duff in the Disney Hall of Fame. She's up there, Oh don't you think?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: She's first ballot, first ballot. I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She's up there with Raven and Miley Cyrus.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: Those those three.
Speaker 1: Though, I think Raven Simone, Hillary Duff and Miley Cyrus are kind of the trifecta of Disney perfection back in the early two thousands, Like those would be the three on Mount Rushmore. I think if you were going to do that, I mean, Hannah, Montana, Raven, and Lizzie McGuire are kind of like you don't have to know anything about the channel to still know those charactors and those names. And yeah, definitely. Adam Lamberg plays David Gordo Gordon, the same character he made famous on the TV show for its entire run. Haley Todd is Joe McGuire, Lizzie's mom, also from the show. Her actual mother, though, was Anne Morgan Gilbert, one of the stars of The Dick Van Dyke Show, and you can see her pregnant with Haley on the show. Halley would also appear on Murder, She wrote Growing Pains, and star Trek the Next Generation, by the way hot take on murder, she wrote, Angela Lansberry was doing all the murdering and just writing about it. And we've got Jake Thomas is Matt McGuire. That's Lizzie's little brother. A show favorite. Thomas began his career on TV, but quickly was cast in the criminally underrated Jennifer Lopez film The Cell. He later appeared in movies like AI, Artificial Intelligence and Christmas Vacation two and TV shows like Disney's Corey in the House Er and NCIS and We've got the legendary Robert Carodine returning as Sam maguire, Lizzie's dad. Carrodine is best known as the main character Lewis Skulnick in The Revenge of the Nerds. Movies great movies that ooh, do not hold up. But yeah, those are probably I don't like to judge things from now compared to when they were made, but problematic films.
Speaker 2: Really, I've got to go watch them.
Speaker 1: That very problematic stuff happening in those movies. Oh yeah, not.
Speaker 2: How long it's been since I've seriously seen them, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not good. But has been in a ton of things, including Escape from La and he is a kid in Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets, Django, Unchained, Nash Bridges, and most memorably for us, he is great in the d com Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire? Remember that he's the guy travel around trying to find the vampire. Time now clicked?
Speaker 2: I did not remember ye now? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yes. He is also part of a very large Hollywood family. His father, John Carrodine was regarded as the best character actor of his dime, and his brother Keith Carrodine, half brothers David Carodine and Michael Bowen, and niece Martha Plimpton all have incredible careers and memorable faces. Very famous Hollywood family, and some fun little appearances in this movie. One is Haley Duff, Hillary's sister, best known as Summer in Napoleon Dynamite. She is the singing voice of Italian pop star Isabella Parigi, but never actually seen. Huh pretty great away, I.
Speaker 2: Was wondering, I'm so glad to see that they're here. The answer for that?
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, and we've got one of my favorites. Alex Bornstein is miss Ungermeyer. Bornstein is best known now as the voice of Lois Griffin on Family Guy, but has become a premier name in comedy on shows like Mad TV, The Marvelous Missus, Masel, Shameless, and Gilmore Girls. She's also written almost fifty of the Family Guy episodes. And she is just flat out funny. She's one of those people that no matter what she does, she's fine.
Speaker 2: She kills it every time, every time.
Speaker 1: She's one of those people where you're just waiting to laugh every time she opens her mouth because she's.
Speaker 2: That funny, and you're waiting to see how far she takes her character because she always goes good, the just fullest lenked love so good.
Speaker 1: And finally, with an uncredited feature background role, we have Evangeline Lily. That's right well before her fame from lost in movies like The Hobbit and ant Man. She's an uncredited police officer in this movie. I didn't see her, Did you see her?
Speaker 2: I went back and looked again, and women police officers at.
Speaker 1: I did not see Evangeline Lily anywhere. And it's we're gonna have to find it. We're gonna have to find a screenshot somewhere because I can shot it and The Lizzie McGuire movie is ninety four minutes long, four over target, which debtie makes this movie say it with me who not too too long? Though? We were looking for the length of three Lizzie McGuire episodes in a row with commercials, and yet they didn't nail it. Sorry, people, my little animated characters coming out in the bottom, going too long and then running off the other side. And here comes a big connection between me, Hi, I'm Wilfredell and Lizzie McGuire. This movie was written by Susan Estelle Janssen and executroducer of the Lizzie TV show, but also a writer on shows like Home Improvement, Maybe This Time, and was one of our writers on Boy Meets World and even more connections. The other two writers credited on this film are John Strauss and Ed Dector, who were also Boy Meets World writers. So know all three of them?
Speaker 2: Well, were they also writers on the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know if doctor and Strauss wrote on Lizzie McGuire show, but I know that Susan did. Okay, okay, but Dector and Strauss they were Boy Mets World writers as well. But they are a team best known behind writing There's Something About Mary, as well as the Santa Claus two, but have also been showrunners on series like In Plain Sight, The Closer and Mozart's Jungle. Either together or separately. These are two guys who have done a lot in Hollywood. They're also very very nice guys. I just saw I think it would No. I saw Dector not that long ago, maybe a year ago. We have lunch together. Wow, all right, round up your Italian doppelgangers, because it's time to get in to the Lizzie McGuire movie. We open up with some intense music, almost Mission Impossible esque. We see switches being flipped, lights flashing in a camcorder with a tape that reads blackmail. A hand presses record and we are officially into the Lizzie McGuire movie. And that's not how I expected it to start. It's revealed to be the work of Lizzie's little brother Matt. Now keep in mind, I know nothing of these characters, so I am instantly like, what's going on. He's now hiding the camera in a remote control police car. He exclaims some say of an aisle. I say, genius. He drives a police car right to a sister's room who's getting ready for a graduation. A frustrated Lizzie slams her door, thinking at least now she's stolen his toy. But Matt's plan has actually come together. He will use this footage for eternity to hang over his sister's head. But also he's just filming his sister in her bedroom, like when she's getting dressed and all that. Kind of it's just a major backfire, I mean, total invasion of privacy. I did not know this guy yet at all, and I was like, ew so, yes, but no, but if.
Speaker 2: You know the show, it's like it's just another one of his.
Speaker 1: Just like things that he's nigans.
Speaker 2: Yes, he just sits and drives her crazy as she's going through all her like awkward stages. After awkward stages, he's there to just make it that much worse. This is his character through and through.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, so then he's just did most of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like yeah, he just kind of he's just that, you know, he's that Disney ron zibling who's younger and just makes your life hell, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. He's kind of like Shia's character a little bit in even Stevens.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, yeah, well, I mean I don't know a gadgety and and yes, but he didn't. I don't feel like he Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong. But with the brother's sibling relationship, he just drove her crazy, drove her crazy because she was so studious and like couldn't understand live his life like this versus like him actually trying to like make her life. Hell, I don't remember it being as much as this kid. Jake's character was just like trying to make the most annoying.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, Love that, but still We're now into the opening credits, set to a Hillary Duff cover of the Tide is High by the Paragons. Lizzie's getting ready, trying on a ton of different outfits, and this is our first clips at animated Lizzie. It's a little more brash, tiny version of her, kind of able to do the things the real life Lizzie can't say things that she can't, you know, that kind of stuff. But then Matt's remote control car continues to secretly film her, and its possible Oscar winning clip is her falling into her bathtub while dancing. She seems to fall a lot. I didn't know that. Is that a thing on the show too? She's very clumsy? Okay, again I didn't. I didn't know any of this stuff. We then cut to Lizzie's junior high graduation. Junior high. So that's when I was like, oh, it's got to kick it up because Hillary was what sixteen or seventeen in the movie, and she's supposed to be in the eighth grade. She's graduating eighth grade. She hasn't even started high school yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt like she didn't look I felt like they that she looked young.
Speaker 1: You thought she looked twelve.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't be twelve years it would I graduate.
Speaker 1: No, I was thirteen when I became a freshman in high school. I was twelve years old when I finished the eighth grade.
Speaker 2: No, you weren't, Yes, I was.
Speaker 1: I was. I turned thirteen the summer before I went.
Speaker 2: To high right now, No, No, I went to high school in nineteen I went to I went.
Speaker 1: I was born in nineteen seventy six, and I graduated high school in ninety four, which means I started when I was. I started in eighty nine, ninety I just August of eighty nine ninety I turned thirteen. Yeah, so yeah, just it seemed and a couple of people on that trip were not did not look like eighth graders.
Speaker 2: Yes, then that's I think what was hard to and what makes me think when it think about the sixty five episodes type situation is the age that the kids are. They some mature so fast, right, No, it's so fast, right, So like that's hard if you're going to keep those characters in line, trying to keep them aging at the same rate.
Speaker 1: It's I get it, it's tough. And she definitely played younger, but I was it was like, oh, they're in the eighth grade. It was was a lot. It's not It wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: But it was because this is what I will get into at later. But we haven't done a movie that was supposed to be this young in a long time. Most of our movies all the characters are right in that like sophomore year of high school. So it was a little bit of a switch to to think about, and it's part of what made me go.
Speaker 1: It makes sense to It makes sense so a little bit because back in the day, in the early two thousands, I think they were skewing young. The whole channel was their demo.
Speaker 2: Their demo was like ten to eleven.
Speaker 1: Right where now you go into Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, totally So anyway, we now see Lizzie is in her cap and gown, joined by her family mom, dad, and Matt, who's still with the camera. Her mom can't believe Lizzie's graduating and going to Rome for two weeks by yourself. And again, eighth grade, too young to be going to a different country by yourself for yeah, two weeks, it seemed with one chaperone, that seemed like a little it would.
Speaker 2: Have I mean, it would make me really nervous to even send my kid at that age with like another with her best friend's family, Like you're across the sea, hello, the ocean, Yeah, for two weeks, that would be so so scary. So in a group with like they're in hotel rooms. How do you know they stay in those hotel rooms during the night. I was like already going, oh my gosh, nope, never sorry, Monroe, You'll be yeah, you'll not do any of this.
Speaker 1: You can watch the Lizzie Maguire Show from the safety of your bedroom, but you ain't going to Rome. Yeah. Her dad is obviously very emotional and serious about this big day. Her cartoon appears, also dressed in a cap and gown and annoyed that her dad will probably quote a dead guy. Then, of course he does, he quotes Shakespeare. Real izz He finds her best guy friend Gordo and asks how her cap and gown looks. He suggests she talked to her best girlfriend Miranda about this stuff, but Miranda's in Mexico City or there seemed to be something going on, because you're the one who told me that she was a massive part of the series, right, and then she just wasn't in the show. Wasn't the movie instantly?
Speaker 2: Maybe because again this movie, this show was out like twenty years ago, So I was like, wait what, I don't remember what what happened, but something had to have gone down for her to not actually be in this last movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something or something. Uh, something's up. Yeah, but anyway, then a very annoying girl, Kate, walks up and dis is Lizzie because she also wore the same outfit which is underneath her cap and gown to the spring dance. Kate yells out, Lizzabe guire, you are an outfit repeater. The entire school looks at her and what a this? Kate is instantly right off the bat. Lizzie reminds Gordo that Kate used to be her best friend, but Gordo says that was before she was popular. They are interrupted by a teacher, mister Escobar. Was he a regular on the show? Mister Escobar, he seemed like he would have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember him that much, okay.
Speaker 1: Who tells Lizzie that Margaret Chan either has ebola or a very bad cold, so Lizzie will need to fill in for the class president's speech. She's the school treasurer, so she can't get out of it. And I was like, wait a minute, that's not fair to her. No, I didn't prepare a speech. I mean, come on. She's terrified, obviously, and cartoon Lizzie suggests she run, but before you know it, the ceremony has begun and Lizzie's being called up to the mic. Even her parents are shocked as she struggles and shrieks at the podium with the speaker feedback. There's bright lights, there's everything. It's certainly not going well, and of course, her brother's filming it all with a big smile on his face. She eventually excuses herself for some water, and on her way out, she stumbles on some balloons and pulls down the entire auditorium backdrop right out of the graduates. Lizzie McGuire has ruined graduation and fallen yet again. We're four minutes in the movie. She's falling again. Now at the airport with their family and Gordo, Lizzie knows she has to leave the country. Her mom tells her it wasn't that bad, but Lizzie says the footage was on Good Morning America. Matt Grinn's revealing he probably sent it to them. The mcguires are startled by a loud whistle and speeding airport cart. It's Miss Angermeyer, Lizzie's upcoming high school principle. She seems to be very stern, even mean. Gordo says, if you stay on her good side, you'll end up at an Ivy League school, but if you're on her bad side, you'll end up working for the janitor that mops up puke. Okay, so the high school principle appears to be there because they have to go together for a trip to Rome for incoming students, including Lizzie and Gordo, but Ungermeer says that most of their classmates instead chose to take a thirty six hour bus ride to the Water Safari, which is a theme park. And it's all just kind of weird. I don't get it. So they're the new principle that they haven't met yet at the high school they haven't started yet is taking a select group of kids to Rome, but other kids are going to a water park. Yeah, I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: I'm just assuming this is like a summer trip that. I mean, God, this would have to be like a like a crazy private school to be doing.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but I just don't get why these two week.
Speaker 2: Rome State like vacation type thing. But yeah, I mean, I guess it would be like you know, they have to have in order to go through the district. I know how it is when it's district related here in California. In order for me to take my girls to Florida, I have to have somebody who's a full time teacher staff member on the trip with us. Okay, I'm only like part time, So it would I mean for it to be the principal is kind of crazy, but like it could be they're not in yet, but they would still be going. Like we're taking I'm taking my freshman girls that are on my team down to Palm Springs for our camp. So we're still going. Like they're still there. They've made the team, so they're and they're going and registered.
Speaker 1: But actually, Cholie, freshman, you're not taking eighth graders that haven't joined the school yet, are you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're eighth you are graduating this next coming coach.
Speaker 1: Oh, so they're not freshman becoming sophomore, they're the eighth right, Well, there you.
Speaker 2: Go, Yeah, content do that, But you do you have to have like a someone at the school like I'm like, you know, a walk on coach type thing versus like I have to have them who's like a full time staff faculty member. And the district.
Speaker 1: You just proved the deal. You just proved it. So there you go. Unger Meyer are going to be taking these kids to thirty one Roman Landmarks in two weeks and they're going to return with culture if it kills her. And Alex Bornstein is once again just so fun and great. She's amazing now aboording Lizzie says goodbye to her family near the gate, and her mom embraces her for a little too long. On her way to board, she looks back one last time and her mom and they're both crying. Lizzie runs back and gives her one final hug. It's a very nice little moment. Now alone with Gordo, another classmate, Ethan grabs them sarcastically and is excited about going to a place where they invented spaghetti. Okay, pizza was actually invented in Naples, though near Rome. It's not Rome, I get it, and it's spaghetti. I think most pasta was invented in Asia, but it's not. It's funny. Lizzie's just happy that bully Kate and her pals won't be on the plane. They went to water Safar instead. But nope, she was wrong perfectly time Kate appears already making fun of Lizzie on her way to the aircraft. Now in the air, we get a flight montage of Lizzie and Gordo having fun, which it's like even as they're talking, the Ungermeer makes them be quiet. I'm like, they have to have a quiet plane ride to Rome. That's the worst. Lizzie ends up sleeping on Gordo's shoulder and he seems very happy about it. It's very sweet. I've never watched the show, as you know, so I should be rooting for them as a couple. Am I rooting for them as a couple? Is that what we want? Yeah? Has it been broached before? Is this kind of like an ongoing thing or no?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like I always just liked them together, because again, they were both like really good friends to each like they were good friends to each other.
Speaker 1: And but was this just kind of thrown Was the romantic aspect just thrown in for the movie and not at all in the television show? We did that on Kim Possible To It.
Speaker 2: Teased tiny, a tiny bit, but it wasn't a big storyline yet. In my recollection of.
Speaker 1: This show, gotcha okay? Fair enough? Fair enough? The montage continues as the plane touches down in Rome the class boards of bus and now we hear the Italian song in an Evening in Roma by Dean Martin. We see the Colisseum, the Roman Forum and Lizzie laughing so much it's really disturbing. We don't know what. She's laughing over and over. It's like she has that weird Joaquin Phoenix Joker disease where she's got to hand out the card going like I'm sorry, I have something. I'm laughing like a creep because it was a little weird. They eventually arrive at their hotel. Ungermeyer warns them it won't be easy to pull anything on her, especially with the help of the hotel's general manager, a former commander in the Italian Navy, Giorgio. But this goofy pushover doesn't look like he spent one day in comment and one day in combat and won't be any help when it comes to the discipline. He was actually very funny. Ungermeyer lifts off the room assignments. Gordo will be with Ethan and Lizzie will be with and then the cartoon. Lizzie returns Ben a minute. She yells out that she will not, under any circumstances be rooming with and then we cut to the room and yes, of course she's rooming with that Kate. Kate's already pushing Lizzie around to dis may have animated Lizzie. Gordo stops by and takes Lizzie to see an amazing view from the roof. It helps Lizzie realize she's not gonna let Kate Sanders get her down. She makes Gordo promise that they will find adventures together. The next day, the classes at the Trevy Fountain and Ungermeyer says that people travel from all over the world to toss a coin in the fountain and make a wish, but she thinks those people are suckers. But Lizzie doesn't. She stays behind with Gordo and throws a coin in the creating a very dramatic effect that can only mean one thing in a d com The dream is gonna come true, And immediately after, an attractive Italian boy spots in the crowd. He is shocked Isabella animated Lizzie, who is rafting in the fountain stealing coins, says the wish was actually for smooth sailing in high school. But this will work. Lizzy explains she's not Isabella, but he insists she looks just like a friend of his. Then a bodyguard pulls this mystery stud Paolo Valasari away. It's time for a photo shoot, and instantly it was like, oh, he's bad. I knew it, knew right away. I didn't trust this guy as far as I could throw him into Trevy Fountain. I swear to God. The second he came on screen and he had the bodyguard and everything, I was like, bad news. This guy is bad new.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, this is cool.
Speaker 1: No, to the point where at one point during the movie, I'm like, twenty minutes in, I literally texted producer tar and I'm like, this guy's bad. I don't trust this guy at all. Yeah, telling you didn't trust this guy even a little bit. Now in the streets of Rome, Ungermeyer ushers her students into a cafe for gelato, but Polo and a security guard, Saragay, are still trailing Lizzy. He can't give this up. She introduces herself as Lizzie Maguire, but Polo still can't get over how much she looks like his pal Isabella, and neither can some of the nearby cafe patrons. They crowd Lizzy up for They crowded Lizzy up for photos with Isabella and Pallo, and that's when she spots a billboard. It's for Pollo and Isabella, who are a singing duo. And Lizzie does indeed look a lot like Isabella because it's it's Hillary Duff in a wig, and that's I was like, that's when I was starting to going, Wait a minute, secret singer, same girl. Is this pre or post Tanna Montana? I didn't know this was going. I also texted a producer to ask, is Hillary Duff is Lizzie McGuire a singer or someone who sings part of the Lizzie McGuire show, like she was a singer, and apparently it had nothing to do with that, which again I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I think by this time, Hillary on her own, I'm sure she was with Hollywood Records, was starting to put out music, right, Okay, she's already doing that, And so then now Disney locks in kind of for the first time with their talent. Oh, there's more to this than us, just like keeping her dress as an actress, let's start pushing, let's use it her franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, so well that makes sense. I was like, did they just throw this in? But anyway, Polo wants to see Lizzie again tomorrow. He's excited, and so is animated Lizzie. Gordo says, he'll cover for her with Ungermeyer, but Lizzie tells Polo she can't, she's with her school. Polo is now late to his photo shoot, but he says if she changes her mind, he will be at Trevy Fountain again at nine am tomorrow. He romantically speaks Italian to her, kisses her hand, and is caught in the act by paparazzi. Oh that night at the hotel, Lizzie admits to Gordo that she digs Pollo and Isabella's pop music. Keep this in mind, this will come back. She shares her headphones with him to get a listen, and he comments on her sweet scent. He quickly gets embarrassed and we for sure know thou that he likes her. Lizzie says she's still contemplating meeting up with Pollo, but she never really sneaks away. It's not her thing, but Gorda reminds her she's looking for adventure here, but Lizzie meant with him. He says they'll go on their adventures, but the first one is hers. Then he slightly asks if she's feeling okay, good friend, Hey, I've got a big crush on you, but I'm gonna be your wingman. That's the way it's gonna wong. And he was a good guy. We cut to the morning. Lizzie is laying in bed with miss Ungermeyer and an Italian doctor hovering over her. She doesn't have a fever, but the doctor asks why would a beautiful young girl on her first trip to Rome want to lie in bed all day? She's obviously ill. Ungermeyer wonders if it has anything to do with embarrassing herself on graduation, with the doctor admits he saw on CNN Animated Lizzie has shocked CNN, and then she's squashed quickly by a little TV set. The doctor recommends a day in bed and two apricots, not for digestion or anything, just because they're in season, and just like that, Ungermeyer leaves her to be, and the two of them together we're a very funny scene anywhere. As soon as they're gone, Lizzie jumps up. She was fully clothed and ready to get to Trivia Fountain asap, and once she arrives, she finds Pallo in a security and he's still such a dream boat. Pallow not the bodyguard animated Lizzie appears to be in love and melts in two hearts. Polo immediately takes her on his moped he rented. It's a Vespa. But man, if you want to so very quick side story, my friend and I went to Rome. I was shooting Boy Mets World at the time. It was in between season one and season two, and we went to Rome and the first day, like the second day we got there, we rented mopeds, we rented vespas. It was a Sunday and we cruised all around. It was the coolest thing in the world. Monday, we met these two girls from the United States and we're like, oh, let's hang out and we'll get Vespas again. The four of us rented him and then it was like riding through the streets of New York City at rush hour. So because it was Sunday, we were like zipping around. This is the best. On Monday, We're like, it was such a different experience, let me tell you. But anyway, he's running, he's in his on his moped with her. They put on helmets and they take off speaking through the beautiful city to another cover song, the Italian standard Vola now sung by Vitamin c did I read that right? Vitamin C? Vitamin actually sung a song that is her name? Oh to her? Okay, gotcha? Is Vitamin C still a singer?
Speaker 2: I'm sure she is singing somebody?
Speaker 1: I mean, is this somebody I should know? Is this somebody in the in She.
Speaker 2: Had one song that she had was like graduation or something.
Speaker 1: Just a Lisa just says she had that graduation song. Yeah, it was in the original Hairspray movie. Okay, I apologize, I apologize, miss C. I did not know that. I'm just gonna call you.
Speaker 2: We had bright orange hair with like like big streaks in it too.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha cool? Learn something new. Every day we see animated Lizzie holding onto the bike's bumper taking pictures, and again Lizzie is constantly laughing like an insane person. Something's wrong with her. Back home, Matt is surfing the web researching Rome. He's joined by his friend Melina. He says he doesn't know what catastrophe Lizzie will find there, but she'll find one somehow. Molina insults Matt for having that graduation moment on film and just giving it out for free. He has nothing a show for it, she seems like a real piece of work, pretending to be a sweet little angel and miss Maguire but also reminding Matt you should always take cash up front when blackmailing. And she seemed like she's going to be a serial killer. She was funny, but I mean, my god, they really bully Holy you said that's part of the show, right, She's in the show as well.
Speaker 2: They were like in it together. She had so many of the like, you know, helping him out, figuring out how to do these certain things. But she went I would say this take on her character was a step up from what I remember in the show. I was like, whoa, this girl is a grassive with a capital A damn.
Speaker 1: And this is the style of the show too, right, Meaning it's not multiicam, it's not in front of an eye insie Canna Montana. This is it's single cam like this Gotcha, which makes sense because the animation and all that good kind of stuff, right. I didn't know if they put that in after in front of a live studio on its but no, okay, gotcha. Back in Rome, now, Polo and Lizzie hit a dead end on their moped. They're blocked. It's technically a Vespa, which sounds cooler. They're blocked by cars, so security Serge finally catches up in his car. Lizzie thinks Serge is just a friend, but Polo explains it's his security guard, which seemed obvious to everybody but everyone else And then what everybody else got it? Maybe there are a few things wrong with this film. And then while stuck in the street, she spots her school tour bus and missus Ungermyer a few cars back. She tells Paula to speed off, and Gordo, from inside the bus, also sees the predicament. He quickly asked the principal some questions about their itinerary to divert her attention, but she knows he's up to something, but he's still able to distract her long enough for the traffic jam to clear up and save Lizzie. This guy is just the best friend ever.
Speaker 2: I know, I like fell in love with him.
Speaker 1: How could you not? He was awesome? He was awesome. We are now in a safer situation. Lizzie Apolo a walk through a street market. Lizzie wants to know if he still loves Isabella. Wait, what did I miss? The storyline? Here he was dating a singing singing partner. We weren't told that, right, how would Lizzie know? So just all of a sudden, it was like, wait, are you still with It? Seemed like we skipped a scene. I didn't get what was going on. Also, why is he getting mobbed everywhere he goes right away? But then can stand at the trivia fountain with the girl who looks exactly like her with no problems whatsoever?
Speaker 2: Consistent how he was being like.
Speaker 1: Not famous and yeah, yeah weird.
Speaker 2: It's true. And then also I feel like, to me it was weird that like it was hard for me at this point. And I don't know if I had watched it like a while ago, but like, there aren't very many singing duos that are like a man like a girl and a guy, right Sonny and Cher Yeah in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Basically the only one I can think of Captain and tinil Okay.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, like like this was it was a weird thing to put like to me, I just feel like it should have been like they were a couple that also did a few songs together, not necessarily like a singing duo.
Speaker 1: So he says, yes, he still loves his singing partner, but as a sister, which is why he wants to hook up with her twin. He didn't say that, but I just did because that's exactly what he's talking about. Paulo says it's complicated, which is exactly what Derinda was saying when she was in Europe, So maybe just Europe is just complicated.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: He says. They're the biggest pop duo in the country, but he wants to make more serious music. When he told this to Isabella, she said no and ran off, and I was like, no, no, no, no, no, that's not what happened to all. Liarh whatever the Italian word for liar is And when he saw Lizzie he had a crazy idea. What if at the upcoming International Music Video Awards, where they're supposed to present an award as a duo, Lizzie steps in. Going solo isn't a huge problem for Polo, he writes, the music in Isabella actually lip syncs. If they don't make it to the award show, he could be sued. Lizzie's shocked by the idea and can't imagine presenting in front of an audience she's not good in front of crowds. Polo tells her she's magnifico, and then animated Lizzie emerges from a pilot spaghetti. She doesn't know Italian, but she knows what that means. Eventually, human Lizzy agrees if it'll help Pollo and Isabella, she can do it. And this is where I was like, would huh, yeah what? I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to like get disinterested now because I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it. Like, wait, he finds her doppelganger randomly on the street.
Speaker 2: What good is it gonna do? I guess he's not gonna get sued, but like, what good is it going to do for him for her to be there and not him just take it on himself.
Speaker 1: I just didn't understand the story, Like, no, I need you to fill in and lip sync for her anyway, because you look just like her? Would she not fire? Okay, I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused. And you watched the show. I mean, you knew these characters and all this stuff, so no, no, what I'm saying is even even knowing everything going in, you still were confused by all this stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: So watching the movie now twenty years later, right now, watching this movie, knowing what I did about the show when I watched the show, we have introduced music, which I get because I remember where she was in her career, but like, music had nothing to do with Lizzie maguire. So that's what like to what you were talking about just a few minutes ago. So like all this stuff was just kind of like now for me, I was like, oh, it's like feeling forced to make it. Yes, I agree, yes, And I was just like, no, oh.
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, I agree with you one hundred percent. I'm I'm glad, I'm not.
Speaker 2: It just felt it felt like again, I absolutely remember where Hillary Duff was in her career, and I feel like it was a part of like I don't want it could be maybe she wouldn't have wanted to do the movie if she wasn't going to get a chance to do what she was moving on to do with her next steps in her career, which was take on this solo act in the music industry, So maybe that was part of it. But it definitely taking a step back and not being in that world started to feel very forced.
Speaker 1: Now, I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I felt sad because I was like, oh, I know, Michaela's probably a giant fan of this.
Speaker 1: I know. I think it's well.
Speaker 2: Just things, and I hate letting them down.
Speaker 1: I know, well it's the film that let them down. In all fairness, Lizzie sneeks back into her hotel and runs directly into Gordo to tell him about her new adventure. He can't believe she's going to do this, but she seems so smitten with Paulo, who is seventeen and successful and so kind. All right, but Gordo. So she's gonna give an award at an in. But Gordo's concerned. She rightfully so. She's only known him for a day, fair, she insists it feels like she's known him her whole life, or even a week. She thanks Gordo for covering for her friends and friend zones I'm hardcore, right in front of his roommate, Ethan. Ethan feels bad for him. He can tell he likes his best friend and is feeling the effects of the sting aka jealousy. Gordo denies liking Lizzie is more than a friend, but no, what he's buying it. Back at home, Matt sees a very two thousands of Yahoo Musica online story about Paolo with Isabella at the Gelato store. But Matt immediately notices his girl looks exactly like his sister, because it's his sister, and that devilish Molina has returned. She confirms his hunch by translating the article. Matt wants to show his mom and bust Lizzie, but Molina has a plan. She thinks they should go to the Italian tabloids with all of Matt's blackmail tapes and sell them for cash. Because if anybody is gonna know how to get in touch with Italian tabloids, it's these two kids in suburban America.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, this girl is like a full blown gangster.
Speaker 1: Now it's not okay. I think she's I think it's more than that. I think at this point she's building a device to steal the sun. I think it's bigger than that. I have a psychopath exactly between her and Lizzie's constant giggling. We've got some interesting psychotics of this movie. Back in her hotel room, Lindsay is once again faking sick. With miss Ungermeier. The principle has brought her a book, The Rise and Decline of the Roman Empire. I actually have it on that shelf right back there, or a version of it. It's a great book, and they can since Lizzie can't join them on the tour. Today Animated Lizzie is again squashed, this time by the book, but soon after Lizzie is back on that same vespa with Paolo and again laughing for absolutely no reason she is a possible serial killer. We get another sightseeing montage, now to the song why Not by Hillary Duff, and eventually landing in an expensive shopping district. Lizzie needs a dress for the awards. She's thrown in with the store's stylists, who are surprised by Isabella's blonde and Lizzy blames the sun in a perfect American accent. Why is nobody pointing this out? She doesn't even try to fake having an Italian accent in any way, shape.
Speaker 2: Or form, because well we know why.
Speaker 1: Later, right, But you're telling me Isabella sounds like Lizzie McGuire from the United States, and nobody mentions this even when he says she's going to speak in the English, Okay, but you don't then turn around like I don't really like this trap. I mean it's like, oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there's still it would still be English with an Italian accent.
Speaker 1: Of course, there's.
Speaker 2: Wasn't an option for them to actually it didn't otherwise they would have done it.
Speaker 1: I am yeah, they tried it later anyway. Meanwhile, Angermeyer in the class are at the forum. When Gordo sees a tabloid about Isabella's new hair color, he knows this is Lizzie and trades some girls the magazine for an introduction to Ethan. Now, this is when I noticed that Gordo looks an awful lot like Luca from the Pixar movie Luca. Did you notice this? He does?
Speaker 2: But what about this scene made you think of Luca?
Speaker 1: I don't know, it just he looks like Luca. He's a cute kid, He's the nicest kid in the world. And I was just like wow, yeah, anyway, yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's true, it is very true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are back at the store. Polo introduces Lizzie to Franca demon Contini. I think I got that absolutely wrong, and eccentric fashion designer. She's very famous He covers for Lizzie by saying their new single is in English, so for practice, Isabella will only speak it, but it doesn't explain the accident in any way shape or for him. Franka hates the blonde hair, saying she looks like a schoolgirl and feels something very different with her different person. Franka tells her team to give quote unquote Isabella a makeover, and we get another montage, Love a good montage, this time to Taylor Dane's cover of RuPaul's Supermodel You Better.
Speaker 2: I disappointing because they use it all. I cannot do that song and not use the original.
Speaker 1: It's also used all the time though it's kind of cliche. But what it wasn't back in the day, maybe this was. I'll give that a pass because two thousand and three it wasn't cliche. Maybe a little. We see Lizzie trying on different ridiculous high fashion outfits, trying to walk, and once again falling over. This girl falls an off a lot. Somebody might want to give her a cat scan. It could be something with an inner ear imbalance, but she falls a lot. Even animated Lizzie thinks everything is tacky. Lizzie tells paul that she's going to go on stage as Isabella, but you'll have to be wearing something comfortable to feel confident, which is something that she never feels. Paula encourages Lizzie to tell Franca what Isabella is wearing, so Lizzie finally gets the courage to tell the fashion icon that she's not a Barbie doll, She's Isabella Parigi and she dresses herself. She demands to see some options and lets Franca pick between her two favorites, and maybe in the movie's worst moment ever, Lizzie mentions the dresses the same color as the one she wore to the spring formal. This obviously confuses everyone since Isabella didn't go to spring formal. Lizzie instinctually reacts by saying, look at all of you. You think that I'm American. I'm just how you say it awesome. I'm gonna I'm gonna take a break from I'm d COM's podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding Will. This is when I did take a break after this this like fashion part. I was like, I'm sorry, I don't okay, I just need to I just need to like reset, go to the restroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was, it was I didn't Okay, yeah, very strange, but now filled with adrenaline, Lizzie does a cartwell outside and is thrilled to be as confident as Isabella. She signs autographs for fans. She once started to write Lizzie on a Hank's bicep, only to catch yourself and change it to Isabella. But mid adulation, Lizzie notices the school bus again and at the same moment, Gordo sees Lizzie and blocks Kate's view. Lizzie barely escapes once again thanks to her little friend zone admirer. She owes him yet another one, and he's by far my favorite part of the movie. Sergey Russia's Palo and Lizzie back to a hotel distracting the clerk with an umbrella and getting her back to her room just before Miss under My and the class arrive again. And then Miss Ungermeer, I take that back, Miss Ungermeyer's my favorite part of the movie. The two of them together were great. Serge and the principal even have a tense and somewhat sexy standoff. Was she just in the movie Alex Bornstein or is she in the show too. She's just in a movie, right, Yeah, Yeah, that's what I figured. That's what I figured. Lizzie jumps back into bed, heats up her forehead with the hair dryer, and continues the Shenanigans Great Word with Ungermeyer, who asked Kate to watch over her to help, but Kate knows she's been out of the hotel room. Her hair is done, her eyebrows match, and she has a fresh manicure. Lizzie wonders why she isn't ritting her out, but Kate says she wants to know what's in it for her. Lots of blackmail in this movie, kids, lots of blackmail. Although animated, Lizzie is tight lit real. Lizzie sings like a canary. She tells her everything about Paulo, and Kate is jealous. She thinks this is the story she should be living. Lizzie asked her to keep quiet about it, and Kate says sure, as long as when they get back to school she's the cool one again. I don't know this character at all. I don't know anything about it, but it seemed wildly out of care character to buckle as fast as she did and for no reason at all. She's just all of a sudden, now I got.
Speaker 2: And it was like I wasn't getting anything out of it. No, you have to remember, the person who I would assume would have normally been in this position would have been Miranda, the character that was her absolute best friend in the show. So they had to somehow make this work with this other character that was also the one that made her life hell at school. So I don't know if they would have had both of them in and it would have been No.
Speaker 1: You're right, it probably would have been the other friend who was covering for her the whole time, and then her and Gordo figuring out the best ways to cover for Lizzie, and they.
Speaker 2: Had to kind of that might be there, you know, as another.
Speaker 1: Something exactly like she would have been. Miss Ungermere would have loved.
Speaker 2: There was a huge hole for them to figure out how they were going to do stuff, So that was also kind of a disappointed factor for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then when Gordo enters, Kate quickly lets him know she's fully clued into the polo stuff. Gordon's impressed and chose Lizzie the tabloid he's found Gordo reveals it says Paolo and Isabelle are supposed to sing at the award show. Gordo thinks it's odd that he hid this very important detail, but Lizzy isn't even paying attention to her and Kate are still funding over the magazine and doesn't think it's a big deal anyway. Gordo stands by his opinion. Something is up with Polo. Yeah, and right on time, Polo arrives outside in this little red go kart to pick up Lizzie and Kate promises she'll cover for her with Ungermre. So now they're friends, apparently. Back at the McGuire household, Matt announces to his parents that he's found something shocking on the internet. It's not the tabloid though, it's a survey about how teenage Italian boys want to date American girls. His parents are confident Miss Ungerer is doing a great job watching over her, and so Matt pretends defeat and concedes he just misses his sister. His mom is touched, even tearing up as they embrace. Matt lays it on thick and mister McGuire knows where this is going. He's getting the passports. Matt's plan appears to have worked. What's the plan? Like, he just wants them to go to Italy? I don't, I don't. I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: First of all, to be able to just drop everything, grab your passports and like book a trip to Europe.
Speaker 1: That's tell how.
Speaker 2: These this family is shown with having that kind of money in the show, So that's also that's that's again we're bringing in new aspects of like dad's gotten a new job, We've got money to fill the world. So we're going to go to this trip. But again with what for what what are they doing? They're going to grab her and bring her home?
Speaker 1: No, I think it's just jo I don't get it.
Speaker 2: And again this is you have to keep in mind, this is before camera phones where you can face time, right, It's before that situation. So you know you're talking about emailing and texting at some point. But why wouldn't they even call? Why wouldn't they start with a call and then go, oh my god, she's sick, She's okay, We're on our way. Is it him?
Speaker 1: Is he trying to get there so that he can sell the stuff to the Italian tabloid.
Speaker 2: He's trying to expose what she's doing, that she is not this Isabella person.
Speaker 1: That's and he couldn't do that with a phone call. He needs to have the entire family go to Italy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It also was obviously in the show and the script just to get these other main characters that were a huge parts of the show. And like what we found out with from Jake is he was the be the big story. Yeah, he was a bigger part of it than just being like the little sidekick, you know it, little brother. Yeah, but this was like so they're just going, yes.
Speaker 1: Going, and I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We're now back at the hotel. Lizzie is still trying to sneak past the clerk, eventually tiptoeing her way outside with some very close calls and hey she made it without falling. And once in Polo's go kart, which is essentially what it is, Lizzie wants to know once and for all, are they supposed to sing at the award shows. Polo admits it's true and tells her all about it. At the Tivoli Gardens, Gordo sees them pull off, still suspicious as hell, obviously. Now at the gardens, Polo explains when Isabella dropped out of the duo, he told everyone it was because she was having voice problems. Once the media heard Lizzie talking at the gelato shop, they reported Isabella's voice was fine, but apparently not that she was also American. So now they're stuck singing or their record label will sue him. Right when things get a little heated, Pallo changes the subject by holding her hand and running near waterfalls. He swears he'll teach Lizzie everything she needs to know, and Isabella will never see it because she's off on some island. He says he'll protect Lizzie if she ends up embarrassed, he will have to live for a week with missus Ungermeier. He asks for her trust. He knows that they can sing together. This is when I texted one of the producers and I said, does she sing? Does Lizzie McGuire sing? Is this part of the thing? And they said no. So just now she's saying ayah, it's I get this energy, but it does feel very forced. Now running back to the streets, they see fireworks and I again knew right off the bat, I'm now along for the ride, just to see what the hell's going on? But I knew this is this guy was bad the second he opened his mouth. Did you think he was bad at this point, Sabrina? Did you figure it out? Or did you think it was still Isabella that was crazy?
Speaker 2: No, I was gold Isabella die. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I did not nobody knows.
Speaker 2: I did not know what I was so confused and just I'm at this point not buying anything that's being thrown at me at this point, like I've just kind of checked.
Speaker 1: Out, confusing.
Speaker 2: I agree, I've checked out.
Speaker 1: I kind of agree, and you're I'm so glad. Okay, I hate to say this, but I'm so glad you checked out as well. And you were legitimately a fan of Lizzy maguire. So it's not just me being that the old asshole watching the movie going like just doesn't make any sense. You were a fan of Lizzy McGuire, knew all the characters, and you checked out as well, where it was like, what the hell is happening?
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like keep in mind too, like I was a fan of the show and never really watched this movie. Like at this point, I'm going there's just no way I could have watched this movie and not yeah, yeah, I would have kind of known. So I'm like it was hard to then try to like get back into my idea of watching. You know, I went and watched a couple episodes before I watched the movie just okay, yeah, a little bit like everything, and it was just like this just to it. It's just so far fetched from what the show was in all honesty. The characters are the same. You know, Lizzie's the same, Kate's the same, the like you know, Gordo airhead, airhead, hot guy, He's the same, Ethan, Gordo's the same. We're missing and uh, I was not able to get over that. I was just kind of like, oh, okay, this is what I was wanting to It wasn't just me so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm glad it wasn't just me. Meanwhile, are we coming no? Sorry, our producers love it. Meanwhile, Gordo is still on the balcony, looking sad and angry. Was he there all day and night? Was he there all day and night?
Speaker 2: I guess he was just keeping a lookout for whatever his dream girl came back.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell all right, and Now the mcguires are on a plane to Rome. For some reason, Matt opens his blackmail briefcase while sitting next to his dad. You had one job, Matt, you had one job. Anyway, he sees the internet story about her and Polo and now they need to know everything, and like his sister earlier, he sings like a canary. Back at the hotel, Aungermere is leaving with her class of the day, just as Lizzie is sneaking out in a food cart. But Ungermer remembers she wanted to bring some apricots up to Lizzie's room since she's still sick. She starts to make her way update, but Gordo comes through once again. He cuts her off. He wants some spaghetti, but she catches on quickly. Why is he trying to stop her from going to the mguire's room. Maybe she was never sick to begin with. She just did this to sneak out of the hotel. Now. A very cool thing about miss Ungermeer is she's unlike any teacher or parent ind comes from the past. She's not a total idiot. She actually figures everything out very quickly, But Gordo's still thinking out his toes. He blames himself, he's the one who's been sneaking out As a result, Ungermeer sends him home. Kate sought all go down, knowing Gordo just fell on his sword for Lizzie and looks pretty upset about it. Again, nice guy. She's off with the polo, the Vespa rider, who's clearly bad. Where the good? Gordo's just waiting at home, covering her, apparently singing.
Speaker 2: And he was so excited about this trip too, like so excited, and I just going home now.
Speaker 1: Yep, and he's going home for her. And now Paulo and Lizzie arrive at a massive, stunning rehearsal hall. We find out they'll be singing at the Colisseum, so he thinks this will make for good practice. And again, okay, I can't. She's Isabella's not supposed to see that they're singing, that somebody who looks just like her is singing at the coliseum because she's on an island. Yeah, okay. They take the stage and Palla starts singing and instructs Lizzie to lip sync. Animated Lizzie refuses, but real Lizzie gets into it, mimicking the words in real life song by Hilary's sister Haley. Okay, so she knows the words to this because she listened to their album, right, that's what we're supposed to gain? They covered that. I thought the same thing. Okay, she knows the song because she was listening to their album Gotcha. Okay, fair enough. Palla doesn't like what he sees, though, so he tells Lizzie to audibly sing along. It looks better and her mike will be off. They start again, belting out a ballot called this Is What Dreams Are Made Of. They transition into an upbeat track to dance. We see highlights of him teaching her the moves and Sabrina as our resident dance expert. What'd you think? It is?
Speaker 2: Awful? Okay, awful. It was hard to watch, and this was my second after this. I had to take another break. This movie took me three days to watch. Will three freaking days to watch because it was like, oh, and you know, it's like I not it just it's like I just don't. I don't like I okay, because I do know how to dance, and I do teach dance and coach dance, and I've been lucky enough to be on Dancing with the Stars, but I don't ever like to feel like I'm like this, like expert of I just know all of all. But there is sometimes when you see bad dancing, you sometimes have to just call it for what it is. And again, to our producers who love this movie, I am sorry, but this dancing was off. It really was.
Speaker 1: One of the producers just wrote in the chat, I am shook, honestly on you know, there's an.
Speaker 2: Old saying and acting which I don't know, shook, How can you not no, this is one of this is no, this is no.
Speaker 1: Well, there's an old saying in acting that you should apply to dance then, which is it doesn't take a great actor to recognize a bad one. Okay, so maybe it's the same thing in dancing. Maybe it does, which you are a great dancer, But to make yourself feel better, you can say it doesn't take a great dancer to recognize the bad one. There was I know nothing of dance, and I noticed it was bad.
Speaker 2: But to be honest, it seriously wasn't even like that. They were just like bad dancing. It was like the choreography they we're doing. She was in the weirdest outfit, the shoes, the dress, like it was weird that she was in that everything looked weird about it, and it was not shot like it wasn't compared to think about what we have seen Will and the way these other movies would dance type things kind of the same exact that we've already seen, how it's shot differently than what this was. This was just all around missing the mark on like, okay, several levels.
Speaker 1: By the way, producer michaela is still trying to justify something. I mean, Hillary isn't a dancer, and neither is Lizzie. So now it's realistic. Isn't that what she wanted? She she is going down with.
Speaker 2: This show, so I don't want her to dance at all. Of that's not if it's not going to be done right and they're not saying to do it right. There, just stand there.
Speaker 1: I gotcha. After practice, which apparently she needs a lot of, Lizzie returns to the hotel and wants to tell Gordo all about her night, but Kate tells her he got sent home for covering for her. Kate also clues Lizzie in on the most obvious part he likes her. Duh. Lizzy and Kate run down to Giorgio, the hotel clerk, and begging to call the airport. He's told the plane has already left, which makes Lizzie run to the corner and cry. But we see that Gordo is just boarding the plane and guess who he's He's arriving in Rome at the same time the real Isabella. What are the chances? He jumps out a line to approach her, and this is why we get to hear Hillary's Italian accent. I'm not going to bash another actor. I can't, but this is where we're gonna see it. Oh and apparently this is where Evangeline Lily appears. We think holding Gordo. Okay, that makes sense, especially now because again not to jump ahead, but our friend Jake Thomas told us that they shot a lot of this in Vancouver, so that makes sense because Evangeline Lily is from Canada, so that makes sense that that's where it would be got it. So yeah, we get to hear Hillary's Italian accent. And I will just say this, not everyone I can't sing, I can't dance. Not everyone can do dialects. It is a very difficult part. It takes a lot of practice.
Speaker 2: Try to make me do it, and I'm like, no, i am not trained to do that.
Speaker 1: Exactly. A lot of people can't do dialects, and I've just gonna leave it at that. Isabella is freaking out now seeing the tabloid. Gordo rushes up to her and says he can explain. Isabella wants to know everything about Lizzie and Gordo wants to know everything about Pallo. So they decide to talk in private. Because this big international pop star showing up at the airport and just hanging out with Gordo all makes sense.
Speaker 2: I will say though, I loved Hillary Duff and Gordo's Sorry, I don't know the actor's name, but I loved the scenes that they were in, like you could tell that those oh they're real chemistry, they're real chemistry, and that they had a great relationship on camera like they I loved so even seeing her as Isabella having a scene with Gordo, I did love like their energy, the vibe between each other, like they were so like her grabbing him, like you could just tell they were like really good friends that were.
Speaker 1: And the girl they got to play. Isabella really does look a lot like Hillary. She really does, which which is incredible, which is really incredible.
Speaker 2: Just really the dark hair is really the only thing that's like.
Speaker 1: That's all. But we know in the Disney we're in the world of Disney. Change color your hair, you change your entire Look. Yep, we're back at the hotel now. Lizzie is pouting about how selfish she's been and how she's ruined Gordo's trip. She wants to turn herself into Miss Ungermeer, but Kate stops her. That'll get her sent home. Then everything Gordo did will be for nothing. Even animated Lizzie agrees. That night, Miss Ungermeer is checking on all the students and is tricked by seeing pillows in Lizzie's bed. It's the oldest trick in the book. But the whole McGuire family's downstairs barking at Georgio unsuccessfully trying to find their daughter. But like I said, since she's never really fooled, Miss Angermeyer arrives to help. She explains that Lizzie has been sick and takes him up to her room, but when her mom tries to wake her. They realize it's just pillows. This is a problem. Miss Ungermeyer goes straight to ethan does he know where she is? And again repeating a real theme of this movie, he sings like a canary, mentioning the award shows and filling in for Isabella. Everybody apparently knows about this. Now on the red carpet, the press and the fans are going nuts for Polo and Lizzie or Isabella. We hear another cover, this time of Superstar by the Carpenter is sung by Haley Duff. Lizzie trips on the red carpet, causing a quick gasp, but she quickly gets up again. Serious balance problems this girl has gets.
Speaker 2: Up that they did it.
Speaker 1: I got it, but she follow This girl falls and laughs an awful lot for somebody not to check to see if anything's wrong with her. We are now backstage at the coliseum. Lizzie is freaking out, but Paolo assures her she can do it. He says she shines like a light from the sun. Polo is taken away by producers, leaving Lizzie alone until Gordo grabs her. He comes to tell her what he's found out Polo is setting her up. Wait, he's been bad the whole time? What who called that me? The second I saw him? Then the real Isabella arrives and says it's actually her he is setting up. And then in a moment of cinematic history, we get our two Hillary Duffs looking at each other in one shot. I was wondering if and when that was gonna happen, and we get it okay. Gordo explains that Isabella is the one who really sings and writes the music. Polo is the lip syncer, which Isabella confirms in just the worst accent ever, it almost sounds Jamaican. Tom is a little bit. It's it's a again, not everyone could do dialects, but this is a strange pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just forced. It's just another thing that was just yes, felt like.
Speaker 1: Yes, you knowed agreed. The Awards Show performance, it turns out, is a setup so Lizzie will fail and it will make Isabella looks like she can't sing, thus destroying her career. Very convoluted. Lizzie doesn't believe it, Polo would never do that to her, but Isabella reveals a quote, you shine like the light from the sun. This proves he's a con man, using the same lines on everyone. Lizzie is hurt and takes one last look at Paolo, holding back tears. What was your go to pickup line, Sabrina? What was the one you would say? To guys? What's your You shine like the lighte from the sun? Go? What's your pickup line?
Speaker 2: Why would you think I would have mine?
Speaker 1: You gotta have one. You don't have a pick up line?
Speaker 2: Come on, No, girls don't have like ooshing line? Oh really, what do you think it was like? You want to dance like?
Speaker 1: Oh? See perfect?
Speaker 2: No, I just say you love it?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love it exactly. I like that.
Speaker 2: What was yours? You had to have a good one.
Speaker 1: I usually just said we have to get home soon, my mom's picking me up in an hour. That usually got women all the time. How confused you are? No, I got nothing. I never had pickup lines. I don't know pickup lines. My favorite one I ever saw was my friend you you he licked his finger and you put it on a friend's shoulder, and he said, let's get out of those wet clothes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I thought that one was about it. I would never work in a million years, but.
Speaker 2: I thought, oh my god, I need them. If I ever had pickup lines said to me throughout like teens and twenties, I would get that same reaction you get from me all the time of I don't know what.
Speaker 1: To do with my face, just laughing and having no idea what to do. I love it.
Speaker 2: That's how it could not be picked up either, like I couldn't I couldn't dish it, I couldn't take it.
Speaker 1: I'd laugh too. Yeah, yeah, so it Prusy's a con man. He's using the same lines and everybody. Lizzy's hurt, takes one last look at Polo and holding back tears. Lizzie tells Isabella to take her place and sing that'll fix everything, but Isabella can't she's not blonde. Instead, she wants to get revenge online TV by making him sing not lip sync, and just like that, Lizzie is pulled away by a producer, but Isabella promises she has a plan. It seems like it's a good plan. Meanwhile, the Maguire parents are trying to enter the award show but getting nowhere with security. In response, missus Ungermeier growls and kicks the guards out of the way, letting a whole mob of people into the event.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Isabella and Gordo talk to the sound guy and Paolo didn't apply him with any female singing track tonight. So Isabella's assumptions were right. He was going to embarrass Lizzie. And that's when the music begins. Lizzie takes the stage in huge bell bottoms to thousands of people. We get a very good shot here. To make it look like it's packed, Isabella instructs the sound guy to turn down Lizzie's mike all the way, but keep Paolo's up. Now, with both singers on stage, Polo starts the song lip syncing, and as Lizzie joins in, we hear beautiful singing. It's Isabella off stage now singing live for her. She's pulled a fast one on Paolo, and then the sound guy removes Polo's backing track, exposing his terrible, puberty stricken singing voice, and the crowd starts laughing as Lizzie continues to reap Isabella's benefits. The real Isabella eventually walks out on stage, exposing the truth as Paolo gets worse and worse, eventually walking off stage, Isabella, thanks her new American friend Lizzie McGuire, and backstage security Sergei grabs Polo. He's mad that Paolo tried to hurt Lizzie, a very nice girl. He quits, allowing Polo to get swarm by the press. Now on stage, Isabella and Lizzie have decided to sing one big number together. Okay, it's okay, okay, if okay, okay, let me okay, let me try to walk get walked through this maybe okay, okay. If Lizzie McGuire can sing well enough on stage to have a duet with this international pop star, why did the international pop star have to sing under Lizzie McGuire who lip syncs the lyrics if she knew the lyrics because she's lip synching and can sing, why not just sing.
Speaker 2: Yeah that part I. Because they also go as far enough to show us the soundboard right like they're gonna pull track mike down, she's coming in with another mic to sing, and then at some point they push her her vocals up so she is lip syncing right right.
Speaker 1: But then they stay on the stage.
Speaker 2: Take shover Paolo's lyrics that he's supposed to do, and then Lizzie's live sinking, right.
Speaker 1: No, no, I think they're doing the duet together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he pushed her vocals up, So wasn't she lives sinking?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. I don't know what's happening. Okay, Yeah, they're doing it as if Miley and Hannah Montana had a duet, which is kind of cool. This time, we don't get too many one shots of them together anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At one point of the song, Isabella leaves and now Lizzie is alone. She's terrified. Even animated, Lizzie is terrified. She tries to run off the stage, but Grdo stops her. He tells her to stay calm and sing, and so she does. She gets her own solo in the colisseum, still swimming in the huge bell bottoms, eventually becoming comfortable. She sounds great. So she was a good singer the whole time. Why didn't she just sing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, well, and so then it started making me think of the first scene that we saw where she's singing in her bedroom, right, like it's setting up the idea that Matt is her little brother, is tormenting her by capturing this. But she also that was Hilary's voice, so she was actually singing that song. Okay, So I guess that's where kind of that's where the correlation and everything kind of like lens and you understand. But again for me, I'm still stuck on the fact that this was not part of the TV show. So yeah, yeah, where are we going with this? This wasn't at Pannah Montana, who's now just.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like it's not that it's like randomly she's got this great voice and it's going to sing on at the coliseum, Like No, this is.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and three. Has has Miley size? Has Hannah Montana started yet in any way show form? Okay? So they essentially saw this on stage and said we need to create an entire show this, this is the whole show is a singer. It seems like they saw this and this is where Hannah Montana came from.
Speaker 2: And I remember when we were doing Cheetah Girls stuff, they were talking about like, oh, like doing something kind of like this, and even with that so raven they did some kind of musical stuff too, but like the channel saying like the amount of money it would take to do all the production and everything for their music videos and put it on a show just wasn't really likely and wasn't like something that was just too much for them. So it was like they were seeing where this could go, and like that's what I was saying, Like this movie put a good foundation on with the channel of like where they could take these stars that are coming to them. The talent that the stars have is not just acting, where could they go with them? So that was, you know, somewhat the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, anyway, there's still more of this movie. Ethan Kate, miss Ungermeyer, and her family arrive at the show and are dancing along to the song and loving it. Miss Ungermier and Serge even give each other a flirty little wave. She finishes the song perfectly choreographed and bows to the audience. Isabella comes back out proud of her new pal and they bow together. They give us one final trick shot of them side by side. It's a pretty good shot actually, for being honest. Later that night, Lizzie is surrounded by photographers. She's becoming a star, but her parents have grounded her for the rest of the summer. Nearby, Kate is complaining to Ethan, she thinks Lizzie got everything you're supposed to get in Europe adventure, romance confidence. If that can happen to Lizzie, then she doesn't know anything. Ethan says, that's hot. Girls that think they know everything are a turn off. He's impressed she didn't rat out Lizzie, and then they dig into spaghetti together.
Speaker 2: Okay, weird messaging, yep.
Speaker 1: Miss Ungermeyer tells Gordo she's disappointed in his constant lies. He admits his wrongdoings and apologizes, but the principal also calls him a loyal friend, and loyalty goes along way with her. Meanwhile, Max is showing people his footage of Lizzie trying to sell the Hot gossp but Georgio to him first and says, in Rome, they did not blackmail their sisters. Then he throws the tape into a fountain To escape the party, Gordo makes his way to an elevator, but is joined by Lizzie as the door's closing. She asks for one more getaway for old times sake, and the two friends find their way back onto the roof. Lizzie's thinking about staying in Rome since she's finally found her voice there, but Gorda promises her she doesn't need to be in Rome to feel confident she had it the whole time. And then Lizzie kisses Gordo, which I think. I don't know if it had anything to do with the show, but it seemed like you just drew it in again. He thanks her, then awkwardly asks her back to the party. As they return to the hotel, fireworks go off, signaling in the end of our movie with animated Lizzie acting as our tinker Bell. Do you think they end up together?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but this, literally, that quick of a kiss was exactly how my first kiss went. It was like it happened. We looked at each other and then we're like, got that done with? I've had my first kiss.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow, I love it. I love that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they end up together, I don't know either. I would hope. So he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could do better, girl, He could do better.
Speaker 2: He could do better.
Speaker 1: He could do better.
Speaker 2: I don't know how. I can't blame Lizzie for thinking, ho week how I'm in a different country. The magic is real. This guy, this Superstar of Nowhere likes me like, I mean, she's young.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like she was trying to be a bad friend to him. She wanted to give herself and she got talked out of it because I get it again, you know.
Speaker 1: According to the producer, it says Gordo has always been in love with her, so that kiss was everything when she watched it happen in the third grade. Okay, so they had built this third grade. Yeah, unreal. Oh wow, let's do some real reviews, and Sabrina, you got the five star this week.
Speaker 2: I do this is a good five star. I'm actually like down for this five stars. I think.
Speaker 1: Mikayla actually.
Speaker 2: That Jensen just happened to find the best film ever made in the entire history of human existence. Not only does it define a generation, but it teaches us to be ourselves and seek a life of adventure. This, my friends, is what trains are made. Thank you, maryel Slash. Mikayla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Mikaela for that. I've got the one star review. And this is by Pedro v or it could be Pedro five. This might be the fifth Pedro I don't know. And this it reads as thus, my girlfriend is a big fan of the Lizzie maguire series. I'm not. She wanted to see this during summer school and it was honestly absolute garbage. There is barely any good stuff. And all I can say is that we should have watched Bugs Life too. I love that. Now we're gonna come to our favorite part of the program, or at least Sabrina's favorite part of the program. And that's our feature for this week. What has producer Jensen set up for us? Well, here we go. Lizzie MacGuire might just be the best example of a Disney show becoming a theatrical success with their first movie. We will now get the name of a TV show. We have to decide if it was ever turned into a movie, could have been screened in theaters or just on TV? Three out of five wins, ooh, let's see okay, number one Chips remember the show, Chips. You'd never remember the show?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: Oh? I do?
Speaker 2: It's with the police cars or the police motorcyclist yight?
Speaker 1: Eric Strada broke, Eric Strada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, this was a movie.
Speaker 1: This was a movie I think with Dak Shephard you are correct, yes, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Number two my Favorite Martian. This was a show back in the day with Oh I can't remember his name. Ray Walston was in My Favorite Martian Let's stick with from the fifties. And I'm going to say this was also a movie, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was in nineteen ninety starring Jeff Daniels and Christopher Lloyd. Okay, there we go. Number three all in the family. There's no way they made this in the movie. I'm gonna say no, No, you're correct, No, Okay. Number four I won, by the way, I'm alaty Number four, Car fifty four, where are you? I don't they have made a car old old school cop show. Ok I'm gonna say no, they never made this into into a movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say no because I don't even believe it was a show. They did. They did in nineteen ninety four starring Rosie O'Donnell and Fran Dresher.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, and then number five hilarious elf. They never made an alf did they? Maybe they made a movie of the Week. I don't think so. I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 2: They did in nineteen ninety six, Right a go. They made it alf movie Jensen will be I again lost?
Speaker 1: Moving on, can we do some Sabrina Sease?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have a time that we haven't gone over. The first thing is the airline that they take over is Luftanza. That is the airline that would take because that's when I used anytime we would go over for the Channel, that's the airline that they always use. So I did. Yeah, I did like that. That was like, you know, a cool shout out for them because they are the ones that would take over all the Disney Channel stars. When they were doing that, it was interesting to see it being like an older I guess an older hoteler what was supposed to be because they all got actual keys. They didn't have key yes, And I thought I would allow that key so fast if I was on a trip, I would have been paying like whatever, like the one hundred and fifty dollars you have to pay for like a brand new key. And then I did clock that Supermodel cover. Wasn't a fan of that. One of the things that I did like seeing, you know, I like looking at the gadgets and stuff and these pieces I loved the camcorder that I also got to have in one of them says that, and the CD discman like the that Ethan had. He was like listening to it. And I love those kinds of things because it just takes you back. It's just like a nostalgia thing, like I still have a work discman, do you really?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: You know what's so funny is thinking of like working out with a discman, like having.
Speaker 1: Too and it would skip. You couldn't run with it and it would skip around and yes, or.
Speaker 2: You have to find like a place in the gym where you could put it to do whatever you were doing, and it wasn't good because like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, gonna if you didn't have that right.
Speaker 2: One thing that really annoyed me, and we talked about quite a few things that people weren't like picking up on her when she was supposed to be Isabella and then also when she was Lizzy was the wig was like looked like it was about to fall off. So many times when she was Isabella, that brown leg was not she didn't look like she had a lace front, so she didn't have it like sitting on her head. But when they were backstage, they do a quick moment of the producer when they come to get Lizzy literally sees Isabella right there, yes, and like like she's backstage. A lot of it didn't make any sense. That was just again, it just was kind of just unrealistic and it was hard to really do that. And then something that happens, and it's with two of our favorite characters, the bodyguard and the principal, is they at the end were all speaking in the third person, and that always cracks me up when people do that. They're like, mss Ungermeier like this, like the okay, all right, Oh that is it. That is all my That is probably the look at how many normally I have like normally so much and I had this this is all I could see.
Speaker 1: Well, Will loves that you found that many.
Speaker 2: Oh well, Sabrina is grateful for all of appreciation. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It is now the time of our program where we've got to rate the movie we just saw and producers dreams, Yes we do. Let's do one out of ten. I'm not gonna make a joke about it because it's not joke worthy. Our options this week are one out of ten. Accidental naked videos of your sister whoa one of ten eighth graders alone in another country, pizza, inventing cities, psychotic laughing fits one out of ten in season apricots one out of ten, threats of blackmail, and a kid's movie Go Kart Cars, Hillary Duff, Italian accents one out of ten, singing canaries or one out of ten huge bell bottoms. Do I pick or do you pick? This week? This time, I think I'm gonna do. Psychotic laughing fits is what I'm going to pick.
Speaker 2: Every By the way, It's gonna be hilarious, and I hope people actually hear. Every time you bring it up, I end.
Speaker 1: Up laughing.
Speaker 2: Because it's because I noticed it too. Why is she just always by the way before by you this entire every episode, I'm laughing the whole time.
Speaker 1: My cheeks hurt after me too, My whole my whole head hurts. Right now, before before we get into how many psychotic laughing fits, I'd like to point out that producer MICHAELA literally just wrote, watch yourself. I know it's never going to come back on she I'm telling you again, you know how long it took for her to talk to me again after double teamed. That's why I started it this way. Okay, you go first, or do I go first? I think you go first.
Speaker 2: I think I do go first. So again, this was a movie that was hard for me because of quite a few things, mainly one because I was a fan of the TV show, so I was and I do not remember actually watching this movie except for that end final performance. I remember that, and that was it. I didn't remember that there was a second Hillary duff in it with the Isabella character. I didn't remember any of that stuff, So I don't think I watched it. That being said, I was expecting a longer version of the of an episode, right. I wasn't like thinking we were going to add in all these extra things, being a part of the channel, knowing that there was an opportunity for them to kind of showcase another country, to showcase the talent of their incredible actor. You know that kind of stuff. I get it, I get it. I get at the I know to how much Hillary was pushing for that next level and that next stage of her career. This just to me hit missed the mark and it although I do believe and want to give it the credit of being a very good foundation of what was get to come within the next like five six years of the channel. Yeah, this definitely had that, This had that that foundation, but it just this was not and again, this is what I felt about when we watched the first Cheetah Girls. We hadn't found that stride the first movie. In the second movie was very different. Yeah, the channel learned through the first Cheetah Girls then with high school musical like so they were building. So this was definitely the foundation of the build. And you know, even that though the holes in the storyline, the things that just didn't make sense, and unfortunately the things that I just felt were just being put they were being Yeah, they were being forced, and it didn't This wasn't to me Lizzie McGuire. I'm gonna say Lizzy McGuire, not Hillary Duff. I'm gonna say this wasn't the best representation of Lizzie McGuire for me. Okay, And that would take me too. Because I still love the show. I'm gonna give it a little bit of a boost, but it's gonna be a six point five.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you are way more generous than I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six point five psychotic laughing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that hurts.
Speaker 2: It hurts because I love Lizzie McGuire. This is so rough. Yeah, just do only just do that.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing of Lizzie McGuire. I knew the name. I didn't know anything about the show. But the idea that all of a sudden she's a singer didn't make a whole lot of sense. Some of the accents were not great. Some of the storyline of now she's American, none of it. A lot of it just didn't make any sense to me. Again, Hillary Duff, you can tell the kids lover, she's a star, you know, all that kind of stuff. The Jake Thomas very funny. You know, it's a tropy little brother that's but you know they're.
Speaker 2: Fine coming to Europe.
Speaker 1: Didn't make any sense. It just a lot of it just didn't. It was story for me. This story did not make any sense. Even got super convoluted at the end about well, we're gonna want you to lip sync, but you're not gonna lip sync, but he's gonna it. Just it was all over the place, and I think, i'm i'm, I'm I'm saying this when I say it. When I say it's a movie, it's I just saw movie. And when I say I just saw a movie that means it's right down the middle, and I'm giving this five psychotic laughing fits. It's just I didn't get it. That's the thing. So the Even Stephens movie, the Even Stephens movie with the story of the Even Stevens movie, it's absurd, it's outlandish. Of course it is. They're on a reality show there. It's crazy. But when I finished the Even Stephens.
Speaker 2: Movie, they're saying a month after this, by the okay, okay.
Speaker 1: When I finished Even Stevens movie, I finished going like I could see going back and watching the show, Like I liked the relationship between the characters. I thought Shy I was great. I thought Christy was great. I could absolutely see going back and watching the show. I finished the Lizzie McGuire movie, and I was like, I don't ever need to watch the Lizzie McGuire show. I didn't. And again, I know that's not fair to the show, because the show is probably very good.
Speaker 2: It was, and it was, I mean, it was. It was so perfect Disney Channel at the time of the time. It really was. It was so good, and this just this wasn't the representation. I feel like, yeah, this is just.
Speaker 1: It was very all over the place, just story wise, very all over the place. So yeah, this is this was not my favorite. Again we're coming off of I think the last one we saw was Horse Sense, which was great. Yeah, and again I know we're not we're not trying to to compare one or the other, but we're literally comparing one of the other. That's what we do. That's our job on this on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you look at something like Horse Sense and then you look at something like this, it's two completely different things. You know, it's just and I it's based on existing ip so you figure they're going to try to stay true to the characters a little bit. But then I find out they get rid of one of the main characters. They slot in another character. They now she's a singer and she's playing multiple characters. It just it seemed like there was way too much. It was three movies mashed into one.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, yes, yeah, I mean I will say though too though, being like somebody who I feel benefited from this foundation that was met sure with the music and the that whole idea of being a superstar and that whole thing. I'm somebody who benefited from the start that was this movie for sure. It still just was. It was hard to watch, you know.
Speaker 1: It was them on stage together, them on stage together, her and then her, Isabella and Lizzie on stage together. Somebody saw that and created Hannah Montana. I mean clearly they went, this needs to be a show, and then they did it the right way for Hannah Montana, where it seemed like it was just thrown into the movie. But anyway, okay, well there's there's our come after me. I know you're gonna come on, come on, come after me, slaughter. If you come after me, you also have to come after my tiny little animated character that follows me around everywhere. And don't think I don't have one. And yes, slaughter away, because I stand by what I said.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Our next episode, we're jumping out of format a little bit, but for a very good reason, and we're really excited. We're finally doing it. We are sitting down to watch the infamous Disney Channel Games. Yes, we'll we recapping season three of the games. Yes, the ones were my love Yes, the one where my lovely co host competed and compete. She did, you did too, But this was pretty impressive. All episodes of the season, because they're the only ones that are actually on Disney Plus are the season that came out the third season last season, which was eight. So all five are real. All five are available to stream on Disney Plus. So pick a team and ride or die with him before we cover it next week. It's gonna be important. But before we dive into that obstacle, course, we're gonna stay with our pal Lizzy, well more specifically her brother. Yes, as I said, we talked to Jake Thomas Matt McGuire himself. He gave us all the scoop about this legendary Disney property. Listen to this little small sample of our conversation.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you wanna if you were really be let down. I never went to Rome. I have never been to Italy.
Speaker 1: What, yes you have? I saw in the movie you were on the I watched it.
Speaker 2: You were in the hotel.
Speaker 1: Really, so where did you shoot that?
Speaker 3: Your dad's all here in La Vancouver, which I love Vancouver. I spent we spent I think probably two or three months in Vancouver, and I absolutely love Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a beautiful place, but is not Rome. You should one hundred percent check that out Jake Rules. He was so cool. Just search for our dedicated Magical Rewind feed wherever you get your podcasts. We've got tons of interviews with the sort of Disney legends and from ore info. You can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on Instagram, dot com, slash no, what is it the Instagram machine? Go to Instagram now bye, everybody.