Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: My first guest tonight is a hockey legend by the name of Willie O'Ree. He integrated the sports of hockey by becoming the first black player to compete in the NHL in nineteen fifty eight, for which he will be awarded the Congressional Gold.
Speaker 3: Medal, making sports history in hockey as Jackie Robinson did in baseball. Willie Alree of the Boston Bruins, a native of Fredericton, New Brunswick, is the first Negro to play in the National Hockey League.
Speaker 4: In his first time out, his team won against the Montreal Canadians.
Speaker 3: In the Bruins dressing room after the game, Gord Sinclair, junior of CFCF pressed through the crowd for this interview.
Speaker 1: It must be quite an exciting thing, isn't it They get into an NHL game for the Boston Bruins.
Speaker 3: What do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: Day?
Speaker 1: Will you unusual?
Speaker 4: No, it was the greatest seller of my life.
Speaker 1: I believe I'll always remember this day.
Speaker 2: Lloways remember this day, mister Willi oree. Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Certainly is a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 5: Oh the pleasure is all mine.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm talking to to a man who's a legend on so many counts.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're a legend because of what you did for the sport of hockey.
Speaker 2: You're a legend because you were the first black player in the NHL. And for me, you are a legend because you're a black person who chose to play on the ice. I don't meet many black people who willingly go to the cold, mister Orie, So you're a legend personally for me as an African.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the show. It's good to have you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about your journey. It wasn't anything that anybody had done before. You know, you talk about this in your life and how you had a dream. You said, I want to play in the NHL. I want to be a professional hockey player. Nobody had done it, nobody thought anybody could do it, and yet you set your mind to it. I'd love to know how you had this idea of doing something that had never been done before, with the clarity that you had.
Speaker 6: Well, when I was fourteen years of age, I decided I wanted to become a professional hockey player and then hopefully one day in the play in the National Hockey League. And I have to give it to my older brother, who was not only my brother and my friend, but he was my mentor and he taught me a lot of things that I would need to know. So I started playing organized hockey, and at fourteen, I left my hometown to go up to Quebec, Canada to play junior hockey with the Quebec front Next played there that one year, and then I went and played in Kitchener, Ontario the second year, and that's when I had an unfortunate accident. You know, none of the players were any helmets, no face shields, no cages, and I was struck in the right eye with the puck and lost ninety seven percent vision in my right eye. And wow, the doctor told me I'd never played hockey again, but I kept it a secret and turned prone nineteen fifty six and was able to play twenty one years with one eye.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, wait, wait wait wait wait, let's okay.
Speaker 2: Now we need to add an extra layer of legend to the story. You lost some of your vision and the doctor said that you were legally blind. You keep this a secret, and then you go on to play that. I don't even understand how that's possible. I can't follow the puck. I've been to hockey games. I love watching hockey games, but it's like I can't follow the puck. But you're telling me you were a professional player who was legally blind.
Speaker 5: I don't understand how you did this.
Speaker 6: Well, you know when I went to the hospital and I was in my recovery room and the doctor said, mister Orhee says, you're going to be blind and you'll never play hockey again. Well, the two goals that I set for myself, well, seemingly we're gone. But I got out of the hospital, and within the next five weeks, I'm back on the ice practicing and playing. Now I'm a left hand shot and playing left wing. But to compensate, I had to turn my head all the way around to the right to pick the puck and pick the play up and look over my right shoulder wowow, And consequently I was over skating the puck and missing the net. And I just said, will you forget about what you can't see and concentrate on what you can see. So the season ends and I go back to my hometown and I kept my fingers crossed that I'd be contacted by a profession team, and I waited and waited, and finally I got a call from Punch Amlac, who was the coach and general manager at the Quebec Hees is the Quebec professional team up in Quebec City. So to make a long story short, I go to training camp, I make the team. I don't tell them that I'm blind. I don't have an eye exam. So I said, well, if I don't take an eye exam, just just play. And we won the championship that year. So that's what gave me the extra confidence that I needed, I said, I said.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 2: If anything qualifies somebody to be a legend, I think that's that story makes it.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the sport itself.
Speaker 2: You know, you talked about back then what it was like being in in the league.
Speaker 5: As the first and only black player.
Speaker 2: You had teammates who supported you, you had fans who cheered for you, but they were also the fans who really could only think of the color of your skin as the reason that they didn't like you. You know, they were shouting slows at you on the eye, so they were shouting slows at you from from the stands. I'd love to know how you blocked out that noise, you know. I mean, that's surely a next you as a human being. But you found a way to persevere. Was that something you had just grown up with in your family or did you put your head down?
Speaker 5: And like, how did you do that?
Speaker 6: And I just put my head down. I was called the N word every time I stepped on the ice by players on the opposition, by fans in the stands. If I had a penalty and I went in the penalty box, I could hear them saying the N word, But I just blocked it out thanks to my older brother again, and he told me, Willie, if they can't accept you for the individual that you are, because you have the skills and the ability to play in the league at this particular time, she'd forget about everything else. She said, just go out, stay focused on your goal and work hard. And basically that's what I did. But I mean, it was it was really rough at the beginning, Trevor, it really was. But finally I gained the respect of the players and the opposite and the fans.
Speaker 2: Man I honestly can't even imagine how hard it must have been, you know, being in that world. There are over one hundred black players, you know who have now played in the NHL. Well, many of them have either talked about your story or they've talked about your journey in some way inspiring them, but they've also talked about how difficult it can be being the only black player on a team, you know, the only black player who's representing the franchise. You know, were there any tips that you gave to any of these players, or were there any tips that you learned that would help you not almost carry the entire burden of being the only black player on a team, you know, being able to fail for Willy, or being able to succeed for Willy, and not always worrying that it you know, it represents all of blackness at the same time, which it did and didn't.
Speaker 6: Well, I met a lot of the black players and the players of color that are playing in the in the league at the present time, and you know, some of them that that I have met, they said, WILLI, I just can't imagine what you had to go through to make it possible for players like me to play in the league. He says, I just I have the highest respect, in the highest admiration for you. He said, what what you had to do? You must have had to turn your cheek a thousand times, And I said, I just stayed I stayed focused on what I wanted to do. I worked hard, and I told myself I'm good enough to play in the league, and just work hard and stay confident.
Speaker 5: Let's talk a little bit about the future.
Speaker 2: You know, we're celebrating you, and you've been celebrated for such a long time as being not just part of black history, but part of also.
Speaker 5: The NHL's history.
Speaker 2: You have now been an ambassador for the National Hockey League, getting black players into it, players of color, You know, kids who would have never thought that this could be their sport, or maybe they wanted to get into it but couldn't. It's an expensive sport to get into. You you know, your skates and all the equipment that you need to be part of it sometimes becomes a bigger barrier than even the color of your skin. When you're meeting with new kids and you're talking to these children who want to join in, how do you inspire them to get into a sport that sometimes might be just out of their reach.
Speaker 6: Well, we have organized programs all over North America, and when I first started there were approximately five. We have about thirty six now. And before the pandem, I was traveling around to these cities and talking to the elementary school, middle schools, junior high high schools, boys and girls clubs, y M YWCA's juvenile detention facilities to let them know that there is a sport that they can play if they want to, and all you have to do is come to the rink and we'll learn you how to skate, and if you follow, we'll get you on an organized, unorganized team where you're able to able to play. I mean, hockey is a fun sport, but I tell these kids, if you're not having fun, don't play it. Find another sport. But I can honestly say that the clinics that I've conducted over the years, once I get these boys and girls on the ice, I've not had one boy or girl come up and say, mister Lee, I don't like this, I'm not coming back. So it's a nice feeling to reach out and eat and just touch one individual and make a difference in their life.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why you are who you are.
Speaker 2: That's why you are receiving luck just the medal, but all the praise, and we celebrate you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, mister Willi Ori. Thank you so much for joining us on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for what you've done, and thank you for the joy that you've brought to the sport and to the world.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Please welcome Pik so Bad, Thank you. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, New York.
Speaker 5: This is so good man, so good to have you.
Speaker 2: Like you know, like like sports stars always have like such a crazy schedule.
Speaker 5: It's so hard to get you on the show. Thank you for being here. You're a superstar. And congratulations. Selected for the All Star Game again this weekend in Tampa. You're excited.
Speaker 7: I'm extremely excited to be captain Tears in a row. I'm just very happy to be able to represent the city of Nashville again. And I'm just I'm pumped, man, I'm pumped to be an All Star again.
Speaker 5: You you have such a wild story.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, I didn't know much about your story before.
Speaker 5: You know you were coming on the show. I knew about you as a player, but your story.
Speaker 2: Is one that really excites me. You got into hockey in Canada, in Montreal, but someone likes hockey Old Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh both.
Speaker 2: But what was really amazing to me is that your dad gets you into the game and you come from a Jamaican family and for me, like Jamaica and ice hockey.
Speaker 1: No, they don't, they don't mix.
Speaker 2: No, No, like how why would your dad go like hockey?
Speaker 7: You know what, It's a good question because you know, my dad moved from Jamaica when he was twelve years old and that's.
Speaker 1: Where he grew up till he's twelve.
Speaker 7: Moved to Sudbury, Ontario, where he learned about the Sudbury Wolves, and he grew up in a French neighborhood.
Speaker 1: That's why me going to the Montreal.
Speaker 7: Canadians was such a big thing in my family because my dad grew up in a French neighborhood and that's where he learned about hockey for the first time. And that was the first time he saw snow, you know, twelve years old. So growing up in Sudbury, you know, watching the monch All Canadians, everybody was friends. So he saw the kids playing in the neighborhood. And that's when he started to watch hockey and used to watch the Subury Wolves play.
Speaker 2: Right, and you you went on to play for the Montreal Canadians. It's not a very creative name, but I mean it's very literal.
Speaker 4: And you didn't just go on to.
Speaker 5: Play for them. Man, they love you out there so much. I mean, you played for the team. You loved the team.
Speaker 2: Was that probably your biggest life ambition?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 7: Just you know, it was a dream as a kid, you know, you wanted to play and hockey, and it wasn't really until later on in my life where I knew it could be really a job. I just wanted to be like the guys on TV, you know, and whether it was playing in the backyard and every I got to give my I have the best.
Speaker 1: Parents in the world, you know.
Speaker 7: My dad putting in backyard rinks, you know, every year. And I give them credit for that because my mom used to give them, you know, crap all the time because the hydro bills would be so high the water that he'd be using to make the backyard rinks. But he stuck to the plan and both of my parents together did made so many sacrifices just to give me the opportunity to play hockey. And never once did they ever mention the NHL, you know, for any of us, all three of us.
Speaker 1: It just so happened that they gave us the opportunity.
Speaker 7: To play, and we got better, and then it became an opportunity to make it a living, and we just chased their dreams. And now you know, myself and Malcolm are playing in the NHL, and we're working on getting Jordan there hopefully soon.
Speaker 2: That's amazing yourself and your brothers all playing the same sport, all.
Speaker 5: At a high level.
Speaker 2: I think what touches me about your story is not just that you're successful, is that in many ways you mimic what your dad did for you, and it was selfless. You donated ten million dollars to a children's hospital. Did you, like, add a zero by mistake?
Speaker 5: I've done that. Because I've done you can tell me, you know.
Speaker 7: I get I get that question a lot because it's one thing to donate and give back. It's another reason of to think. Another way to look at it is why ten million dollars?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: And I think it comes down to everybody has their own personal life experiences.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: You know, I went to Haiti with World Vision a year after when I was I would have been nineteen years old, twenty years old at the time, and I'm not from Haiti.
Speaker 1: I'm not Haitian.
Speaker 7: But I had an opportunity to go with World Vision at the time, and I went for three days and it was a life changing experience for me.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't it. I came back and I got to.
Speaker 7: Know a little boy named Alex Shapiro through my old minor hockey coach and still close friend and family friend, Martin Ross, and he coached him and got to know Alex very very closely and his parents and his family, and I was actually in touch with him until literally his last moments before he passed away. And you know, for me, that made me want to give back in a different way and really have a significant impact, and not just give back, you know where everyone could say wow, that's great, but give back where I could actually make a difference. And when I was presented the opportunity to do something like this with the ten million dollar donation and to the Hospital Montreal, I didn't even think twice about it. They came down the four o one to my house in Nobleton, Ontario, and they presented it to me and I signed the papers right there, and it was the perfect situation for me. And to this point, we've helped over probably ten thousand families and raised millions of dollars. So I'm very very happy about that.
Speaker 5: Yes, a phenomenal ful.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 8: You don't only have love from Montreal, but you went through a trying time where you were unexpectedly traded from Montreal through to Nashville to the Nashville Predators, and Montreal was your love, Montreal still is your heart, and you moved on to Nashville and you always promised the people of Montreal that you would take the team to the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 5: And then after you were traded, you then took.
Speaker 2: The Nashville Predators and you're part of the team that went to the Stanley Cup. Was that one of the most bittersweet moments you experienced as a human being.
Speaker 7: The bitter part about it is that we didn't win well, but you know it was It was a tremendous experience. And I have to speak about my teammates because you know, I wouldn't have an opportunity to be in this position and to be an All Star without them, and they've worked. I've never played with a greater group of guys than we have right.
Speaker 1: Now in that locker room.
Speaker 7: And I've never wanted to win so badly in my career because I think that everybody in that locker room deserves it. But they've given me every opportunity to be successful. But we've given each other that opportunity, and I think that's why we ended up in the Cup final last year. But what sucked about it was, yeah, we didn't win, and I didn't get an opportunity. That's all I could think about because when we got to that conference and we won the Western Conference finals, I'm like, man, I'm gonna have a chance to bring a cup back to that hospital, right and those kids, and you know, because I remember their faces and how upset they were when I was traded. I'm like, man, I got an opportunity to bring that cup back.
Speaker 1: That's going to be awesome.
Speaker 7: And then we lost, and you know, it sucked, but we have an opportunity to do it this year, so you yeah.
Speaker 5: You have.
Speaker 2: You have many opportunities, and it's not just in the field of sports. I think what's really I think inspiring about your story is how you find opportunities to help others, because it's not just the kids in Montreal. Tell us a little bit about the program that you started in Nashville where you get policemen to hang out and spend time with young previously disadvantaged or disadvantaged youths.
Speaker 1: You know what, and it's so important.
Speaker 7: One of my best friends is a cop and was actually just recently retired. Chris O'Sullivan was a cop in Boston. And you know, Chris has comes from a family of twelve brothers and sisters, used to play professional hockey, but it has become one of my closest friends over the years. And we know how much there's been talk about in sport, especially with police officers, and players have chosen to deal with it differently. I think that I was faced with a lot of questions coming out of training camp, and you know, for me, I always look at everything and how can I make this a positive situation? And I looked at it and I remember us having a meeting as a team before the season started, talking about, you know, how we were going to handle it, and I, you know, I remember being upfront I said, listen, guys, I want to attack this in a way that is positive for the team and for the community.
Speaker 1: And listen, also, my best friend.
Speaker 7: Had an influence on me as well, and you know, I know what he's done for so many people and his friends have done, and I know that in the community of Nashville. I wasn't going to have the opportunity maybe to donate ten million dollars to him again, but maybe do something that was just impactful in a different way.
Speaker 1: And starting this program has been. It's been amazing.
Speaker 7: It's had the same impact that you know, my foundation has had in Montreal, and in a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A different way.
Speaker 7: And the kids, I mean, I wish he could be there to see the look on the kids' faces when it's their first time going to a hockey game, their first time pretty much doing anything that really they can think of in a positive way, and to have to have police officers there to do it with them, it's been great.
Speaker 2: So you have these kids who meet up with a police officer, they come to the game, you get them tickets, you buy them dinner, they hang out together. I would like to understand why you thought that that would be something you'd want to do. Everyone tackles in a different way.
Speaker 5: But why that? Why the kids with the police officers?
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, I think that I have, like I said, friends that work in law enforcement, and I think that we need to celebrate the good that they do as well. And I think that the children for these kids that are under privilege, that don't get an opportunity.
Speaker 1: To go to a game, you know, why not.
Speaker 7: I know that I have the opportunity to purchase four tickets to a home game forty one times.
Speaker 1: Who sits in those seats? That's up to me.
Speaker 7: And I chose to have two underprivileged children that don't have the opportunity, and two police officers that have the opportunity now to mingle with underprivileged kids who maybe have only ever seen cops a bad right, But now they're at a Preds game which they've never been to. They get to eat some great food, right and the Patron lounge. That's a shout out to Patron. They don't sponsor me, but I know that's where.
Speaker 1: They get the food.
Speaker 7: They get They get some great dinner, and they get to meet the players after the game, and they get to meet me. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but they get to meet me and it's celebratory. And I think the biggest thing that I've taken from this program so far was an email that I got from one of the officers who took it upon himself to stay in touch with the child after the game and said, I'm going to stay in touch with this kid. We're going to go to many more games because I got season tickets and so on and so forth. We have the email and it was one of the best things.
Speaker 1: It was the best feeling that.
Speaker 7: I've ever had since the program started, because that's what it's all about. So it's all about building bridges, and I think that that's what this program has done.
Speaker 5: You're an amazing man, and thank you so much for being on the start.
Speaker 4: Explore more shows from the Day podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 3: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast