Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Record trend in Progress. Cool thing that we hear right before we start recording these words, yeah, that we we didn't have time to come up with a pedal.
Speaker 2: I'll tell them how the sausage is, mate.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was the result of just a long brain storm session.
Speaker 2: It was a hard day's night. Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 1: You might not be into it, but I'm very proud of My name's Jack, and that is Miles is.
Speaker 3: My name, Hi, It's one of the it's one of the more popular names.
Speaker 2: Sadly, so I don't feel great right now.
Speaker 1: So are both of our names? I think are very popular now, but like when you were a kid, was Miles very popular name? No, my shit wasn't even the top one hundred then, yeah, I don't think mine was either, Like mine was the number one name in the twenties, I think, but then like all a bunch of it was the number one name at like old age homes. But when I was a kid, nobody had it. And now so you are, You're just influential, man, You're.
Speaker 3: That You're the Jack that Joe Biden is talking about in that meme.
Speaker 2: How do you open pdf? Jack? But yet right now?
Speaker 3: Though in twenty twenty one, I think it was the sixtieth or something most popular in his sixty first most popular name Miles.
Speaker 2: It's on the come up, y'all because I'm lucky influencing people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think derivations of my name are popular, like Jackson and Jacks with an X, which I'm still I'm still considering. I feel like I give Jack's energy, right, Like, don't you think what? Because I'm kind of like extreame dude. Yeah, so you got metal arms in my name. You got metal arms like Jackson Mortal Kombat. Yeah, that's why I think. Yeah, that black character, So.
Speaker 3: I think you'd like that black guy Mortal Kombat with the metal arms Jack All right, Well, another weird naming trend, all late night hosts have to be named Jimmy or James.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Fallon was Internet shammed into paying his staff during the writer's strike. Basically, he was not at the meeting where they were told that their writing staff would not be paid after a week.
Speaker 3: It all came to a head because he was asked on the fucking met gala vant red harpit about like where he's at when he's like, oh yeah, man, he's like I'm with them.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'll say they need a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then, like a staffer pointed out, they're like, bro, you don't give a fuck, Like and I think other people argue that, like, you know, the host might not always be like that daily first daily production meeting or whatever. But when a lot of people were like, yeah, people aren't going to get health insurance even and no one's clear on what their employment status is. And eventually and then people started sharing clips of Conan from the two thousand and seven strike when he's like, oh, yeah, I'm paying my staff for like the work they missed. And he was saying that, then people were like, what about you, Jimmy, And then he was like.
Speaker 2: Oh so NBC will do two weeks and then I'll pay for a week.
Speaker 1: That's okay, But what if.
Speaker 3: It goes longer than that, you're gonna you're just gonna hope the story dies and then be like, oh, yeah, I'm not paying anymore.
Speaker 1: Did you see the clip of Conan during the writer's strike, Like but he still had to be on air, so he would just like sit there like kill time like there was one where he was just like spinning his wedding ring on his desk and he was it was like, let's see how long I can spend this wedding ring for.
Speaker 2: Which now I'm doing it shout out to the one.
Speaker 1: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has revealed their class of twenty twenty three. Uh, Willie Nelson, Bill Nelson, you know Bill Nelson, old Bill. Oh, Bill just had his ninetieth birthday at the Hollywood Bowl. Oh it's not.
Speaker 2: Wow, your emphasis is real boom errific. There the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 1: Oh, Hollywood Bowl. Yeah, where you have to go to go do lawn bowling. I presume right you play ninetieth birthday party?
Speaker 2: No, well no, it's fine, Yeah, yeah no it is. This class, though, is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We got Kate Bush, Willie Nelson, Rage against the Machine, Sheryl Crow, George Michael and the Spinners, all the spinners, and also Missy Elliott finally Missy.
Speaker 2: I'm loving it. I'm loving it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like, apparently there's like six more inductees with the distinction of being selected by a select Hall of Fame committee to join the seven performers who are voted via general ballot. Those ones who are exalted by the Hall of Fame Committee are gonna be Shaka Khan, Al Cooper, Bernie Taupin, link ray Al Cooper.
Speaker 1: Is that Alice Cooper or Al Cooper.
Speaker 3: AlCH Al Cooper with a K, and then DJ cool herk oh okay, and then Don Cornelis is gonna get the amed Ertigon Award from you know, the former head of Atlantic Records, omt Ertigan.
Speaker 1: All Right, well and other important news people in Utah are going to have a harder time jacking off coming days. Porn Hub has blocked all users in Utah from visiting the site to protest a new state law that requires age verification to protect minors from exposure to explicit adult content. So when you're in Utah and go to porn Hub, they redirect you to a video with an adult film store. Are basically being like, this is not it, This is not the way to.
Speaker 3: This is a privacy risk for you and your family. Don't buy the bullshit that they're protecting your kids. This is a fucking really you know, like the acl you was saying if when you cut off access to online information for adults and cause popular platforms and there their offerings to avoid triggering the.
Speaker 2: Rules, things get a little fucking bad.
Speaker 1: So the way they're doing it is like making you like photograph your ID. Is that the idea? Yeah, that's fucking crazy. I mean that's like that's why, like, does any other are there other services?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do do the gambling sites make you? Like?
Speaker 3: The only time I uploaded my ID to get some shit from the internet is when I'm buying.
Speaker 1: That free iPad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when I won that iPod congratulation you wanted, congratulations my ship. Like, that's the only time I done ID verification, which makes sense because you're buying cannabis, like and it's being delivered that they obviously don't want to be like and.
Speaker 2: Is your dad home? Yeah, okay, there's nine hundred blunts.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they're they're pointing out like there are other ways to do this with like device related things as opposed to you know, website like giving webs the website access to your fucking private information. So basically, what this is going to cause and is already causing, is just a massive rocket chip explosion growth of VPNs. VPNs are loving it right, been skyrocketing since they lall went into effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and this is like the same thing too when people talk about, like on social media that like people should upload their ID and like know who's saying what. And then like again, it's like always a slippery slope, right because you start doing that, Like there's a lot of there's a lot of issues there with with that kind of like ID verification.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just I mean it's like, I know, South Korea had something like that where everybody like when you were online, you were connected to who you actually were, like to your personality. There just was like a lot less anonymity. But in America that is going to be directly converted into corporations preying on you, like in various ways, selling your information, just doing whatever to make your life miserable and make marketing to you easier. Like that's yeah, so it does. It doesn't matter even if it's been used successfully other places like not here that we've proven time and time again that private people versus corporations does not end well for us.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine how targeted those fucking ads to be if.
Speaker 2: Your fucking ID was tied to your like internet activity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'd be like, hey, dude, we know about your dad and your mom they split up, So you're probably into this kind of like.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? Why is it so direct?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah, we got your infolt from your posts and stuff, and.
Speaker 1: We're gonna actually talk back to you as the inner voice, the inner voice that you hear in your head throughout the day. We hope that's okay. But you're just figured out what it was. Fucking it all up. You're fucking it all up, asshole. It's all going to how your inner monologue is always saying this, speaking of terrifying invasions of privacy. So we talked about this story a while back that a woman was at Madison Square Garden for the like Rockets show Yeah, and was asked to leave, and it was revealed that it was because she had served as opposing counsel to James Dolan and MSG in some like case a while back.
Speaker 3: It had nothing to do with the rockets or anything like very like like a tertiary character in this like legal drama.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he had because he is a petty bitch who loves drama, had put her on a list and had uploaded her face, her facial recognition data so that you know when she showed up. It triggered and she was banned from being there.
Speaker 3: She was going like with her daughter and like it was like her kids and stuff, and they're like, sorry, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna have to wait outside. Miss. So New York City is considering facial recognition bands for businesses and landlords.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good, consider it hard, but don't consider it too much and then just realize that thing, do Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it bad? Is that? Is that another slippery slope if we're just tracking everyone's feah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: I think we're good. But if we can't trust James Dolan, who can we trust?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously the mayor of New York. I mean with the robot dogs and the fucking guns that will shoot a GPS tracker at your asshole and you can get a bunch of free air tags to narc on yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Hey, wait a second, we we already like passed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame story, but it just circling back real quick. Did was jd and or the straight shot? Okay? Not help? Notice he wasn't mentioned, not yet, not yet. It ain't happening this year maybe next year. Yeah, I know all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and so is Gabe Walker. Uh you know that is that fucking slice Stallone's character from Cliffhanger friend.
Speaker 3: Whoa Okay, I mean I'm not a big all I remember was doesn't like in that first scene, like the person's stuffed animal fall before they fall to their untimely death.
Speaker 1: That sounds right.
Speaker 3: I feel like for whatever reason in that like very tense sequence in the opening is I think that's the opening of Cliffhanger. Yeah, where like he loses that person on the line and I think you watch like a carabeaneer like just start to fucking split apart, like it's made of like a crayon. I was like, oh fuck, I remember as a kid being like Nasi, I don't like heights.
Speaker 1: It's just like a stress dream come to life. It's like how that happens? Uh, it's a hell of a like you know, it's like Rennie Harlan, peak Rennie Harlan. It's a lot of fun. As a child, my favorite genre of movies was Sylvester Salone movies, Supplanet eventually by Bruce Willis movies when I became one or die hard, but yeah, this is what one of the goodies. At the end. Also, it has a fight between him and John Lythgal.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always found that funny when they just have to like make the main bad guy like somehow good at fighting, even though it's like and it's.
Speaker 2: Like John lith Gal who's physically built for that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he's imposing as a figure in his face, but he's not thrown down like that.
Speaker 1: Anyways, they're making a sequel. The director of The Angel has fallen, and Greenland stated that it's going to be a great challenge and blast taking this franchise to new height or responsibility. I don't take lately that statement sounds sarcastic. Yeah, it sounds like, are you up on Barry? Have you been watching Barry this season?
Speaker 2: No? No, I haven't watched I haven't watched Barry. No, not yet.
Speaker 1: There's a good scene with like a really like respected great director who's like now working on like some Marvel shit, and she's just like, yeah, no, I think this is great. This is this is awesome. I'm so glad to be doing this.
Speaker 2: And I take it seriously, I take it seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the lore of thousand Yards stare right right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Is Cliffhanger that kind of like exalted content where people like, yo, man, you don't be careful with that.
Speaker 2: Be careful with that now.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. Yeah, it was like kind of the under Siege of under Siege. I don't know why I said it, like it's a classy film. The under Siege of Late Aristallona was like amidst a bunch of movies that were kind of plunkers. It was like indistinguishable from all of them in terms of like premise, but it randomly was just very good. Right, and the first shoot apparently also basically put the company Carol Co out of business. It was like such a mess, So hopefully this one goes better.
Speaker 2: Well, do we know who else is in it? Like, is who's the John Lithgow character?
Speaker 1: We don't know at this point as far as like mail, but yeah, there there was also a point during the first shoot where they couldn't pay the crew, who was like on this film shoot up a mountain. It's kind of not fair. A tough time to be like, hey, sorry, guys.
Speaker 3: Hard to advocate your for yourself when you're on the top of a free he's in cold mountain with nothing to.
Speaker 2: Like, Hey man, we can't pay you guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys want to hang around here for a little bit, if you guys have a ride back.
Speaker 2: Down to the bottom or whatever. But we can kick it up here there was.
Speaker 1: It's weird because this movie's been in like development for a long time Cliffhanger two point zero and there's a point where it was going to be a Stalloneless remake starring a female lead directed by Anna Lily Amapoor, who made A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night like one of the great films of the past thirty years. They're like, all right, so what but like, all right, we get it, you're a great filmmaker, but like ip wise what all? So anyways, that's how they do people.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: How like you go from making one like you make a great film or like an indie Darling type thing, and then they throw you on a blockbuster to completely make you the fall person if it goes belly up or something.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of how they do, another thing they do these days is they turn fictional films or TV shows into reality show competitions. You know, we talked about how squid Game was, like immediately like before they had greenlit season two of Squid Game, they were like, but the the game inside the show where they like all kill each other and like show how desperate they are for healthcare, that's what we should greenlight. And so they lit like a real reality competition version of squid Game. Well now they're doing that with James Bond. Is basically the Amazing Race with more excessive drinking and unprotected sex would presumably be the pitch behind this, right double ow Seven's Road to a Million. Oh, it's a reality competition show in which teams of two will travel throughout the world to locations made famous in James Bond movies and compete in various challenges.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then are one of the challenges to like be responsible for the death of an innocent woman and then just keep it moving exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean I'd compartmentalized, man, Right, that's like that. My thought is, like all the cool shit from James Bond is like destructive and dangerous and hopefully is not being done to these contestants.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I feel like every other woman who gets in bed with James bond Is of Dying. Yeah, like that's the wrong kind of body count that you want, sir.
Speaker 1: Yes, But it will launch exclusively on Prime video, so the show will essentially not exist in the same way that like the most expensive TV show of all times from like a beloved franchise, The Lord of the Rings, like came out and people were like, yeah, all right, I don't like you. Super fans were like, I don't know something about it. I just I'm not sure it actually came out. I can't remember if I.
Speaker 2: Watched it, the false memory of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this does raise Also Brian Cox will play the controller in the show, mad character who controls the fate of the contestants, who is both villainous and cultured. So that is, Oh, it's good to see he's having a post succession after Lift. But it does make me like, is there And We've had this story on the dock for a while And I had the hypothetical question like, what is a fictional show or movie franchise you would like to see turned into a reality competition? And I my brain has not come up with one. Do you do you have one?
Speaker 3: A film that could be a reality show competition. Yeah, like a fast and furious Yeah yeah, like driving reckless as fuck.
Speaker 2: I don't care if the contestants die.
Speaker 1: Right ahead, try that shame shit with this is like the all that stuff he does. It's like, well, no way a real person would survive that.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like can you drive a slammed Honda Civic underneath an eighteen wheeler?
Speaker 1: Right exactly?
Speaker 3: Like and yo, if you get run over, hey, it is what it is, man, But you lived fast and furious. I mean like it could be that, or like Brian is in the port an Identity, you.
Speaker 1: Put it, put a really dumb person in like like medically induced memory fog, and then you drop them off somewhere and then like they got to figure out what the fuck's going on, Like Jason Bourne, we'll see where they land, Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Where they land.
Speaker 3: There was like a survival show on Netflix that kind of had a really fucked up arc where they felt like they had all these survivalists go and like the whole challenge was like flex your survivalist skills, but it turned into Lord of the Fly shit real quick, and like people were sabotaging each other to win, and like some contestants are like, I honestly, I'm out of this, Like I can't participate this in good faith knowing like my kids would see this and see this is how I'm behaving to win a show that you could see something devolving like that if.
Speaker 2: You put enough money on the line. My aren't we sadistic?
Speaker 1: My My eldest had his birthday at Ultra Zone, well, a place that he used to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he shout out the game masters.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean I'm out here and I uh, I don't like who I became when we got in that laser tag, like just taking out every little kid that walked around a corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all good ruth.
Speaker 3: There's if they have the same setup, there's a place you could just you could just snipe people the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, one of the dads asked me if I played a lot of first person shooters.
Speaker 2: That was like, what you know, you know how you look like a real asshole.
Speaker 3: There's a way you hold the gun that shows you don't fuck around like everyone goes like this. Yeah, but if you turn your shit like that, oh yeah, you have this whole range of motion to also. Also, what it does is it helps like block the sensors on your chest pack so they can't hit you.
Speaker 2: Wow. Anyway, that's that's how I get down. And I used to keep this thing.
Speaker 3: When you're the game master, you'd have this controller on you called the terminator, and you could just pull up.
Speaker 2: You could just power someone's ship down, like really like oh yeah, like you're like, have admin. It's like a remote control of admin privileges. Basically.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I would like get in games with like twelve year olds who were talking shit.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh your beach. I'm like yeah, yeah for sure, and I would cheat. Watch you should don't work.
Speaker 3: Deactivate, deactivate, deactivate anyway, I'm a very healthy adult now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turned out great, Thanks dad. Well, uh, that is going to do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccines, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight Bite