Speaker 1: Also media what recording a video? Uh? And also audio? My Michael Swain, our guest for today's podcast, Welcome to Behind the Bastards. Michael, how are you?
Speaker 2: How are you doing? Great? Buddy? No sinking, no clapping, the magic of just starting.
Speaker 1: Just starting right into it, you know, walls, walls and balls together.
Speaker 2: Last, Yeah, look at their asses because we're there, buddy.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's the only thing we are, is there? Michael? You use OBS to record video. OBS is a program that people who are using video for purposes like this use. And what I've been thinking about it because you just had a little issue with it and we're like, my obs isn't isn't you know? Is flaring up or something. It sounds like a disease, like an old person disease, like I got, I got my obs is fucked to hell and back, folks.
Speaker 2: I was thinking to sit down. Yeah, hey, when I'm.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Michael, we're talking about Nazis. Nazis the Holocaust bunch of a bunch of stuff that's less fun than the house a bunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The East India Company was awesome because it was like some Dan Carlin ship. This was horrible.
Speaker 1: Oh, it is it is going to be horrible anyway, cold open done, We're back, Michael. I technically like a little it's not I mean, it's about Nazis, but it's not just about Nazis. This episode is a script I originally wrote about a year and a half. Two years ago, I got asked to go speak at Oxford Student Union, which was great, lovely people. Grateful to the fellow who invited me and set it up. Grateful to the the Leftist club, the beleaguered Leftist club at Oxford who met with me, very nice people.
Speaker 2: Two questions, Sorry, did you wear shoes? I did? I? Did you bring a machete?
Speaker 1: No, you're not, Michael.
Speaker 2: You cannot bring them achetty to the UK.
Speaker 1: They do not take kindly to any They're making kitchen knives now that have blunt tips, so you can't stab someone with them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw the safety kitchen knives.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that would not have gone over well.
Speaker 2: But no.
Speaker 1: We tried to record it there and the between, like the moving around a bunch and the actual size. Anyway, the recording got fucked up, and then we recorded it again, and the recording got fucked up again. When we had another guest in, but it wound out being good because, as you might be aware, I mean good's the wrong word. But as you're aware, there have been a massive series of horrific war crimes that have been committed very recently. So I got to update this episode in a relevant way because what's happening in Gaza is deeply relevant to what we're talking about here, because these episodes are about how the media responded to the rise of the Nazis and the Holocaust in the nineteen thirties and forties, and it's overall kind of a story about how particularly the liberal media and multiple countries failed universally across the world in its attempt to deal with and stop the rise of fascism. And that's a worthwhile story because a lot of the same families here in the US, a lot of the same families who directed American media in particular and failing to report properly on the Nazis, are still running the most influential media outlets, and they're still failing in the same ways. And I think this is useful history for people to have. So, Michael, are you ready to learn about how the liberal media is essentially incapable of confronting fascism in a direct and meaningful.
Speaker 2: Way or something. You have to not already think that. But also I'm just reeling from the implication that I was a backup guest on this topic. That's all I can really focus on. So let's let's do the Nazis thne we tried.
Speaker 1: We recorded this last a year ago, but I I after October seventh and everything that's happened since then, I had to like rewrite.
Speaker 2: No statute of limitation on my.
Speaker 1: Feelings, Michael, this is one of my best strips, Roberts. I worked really hard on this, bro.
Speaker 2: This sounds amazing, It sounds fascinating. Don't let me stop. You were my top draft pick.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were originally going to do a different episode with you, but we had to wind up pushing it a week so sure we had someone else on the apartheid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm golden.
Speaker 1: Look, this is just that's just how it's going to happen, Okay. On February seventeenth, twenty seventeen, The Washington Post, one of the ussay's chief papers of record, changed their slogan to democracy dies in darkness. If you can remember that this was right at the start of the Trump era. Everybody was like real, you know, the whole resist thing was real gung ho, and I think they were playing into that, right, let's get the let's get the libs really fired up to enjoy and pay money for our content. By acting like we're we're the last bulwark against the rise of fascism in America.
Speaker 2: It sounds like some Emperor Palpatine is somehow backshit.
Speaker 1: It does. It's absolutely a George Lucas slide. Yeah, it was updated in there. And also it's just not true. Democracy doesn't die in darkness. Democracy dies because you have like a million different multicolored lights all shooting into everyone's eyes at the same time. It's like a fucking club floor, right, Like that's how democracy dies. Everyone is too disorient to realize what's happening. Anyway, this new slogan was updated and their online mast had immediately and added to print copies of the paper a week later, and the reaction was mixed. A writer for Pro Publica called it awesome at south By Southwest. A few weeks later, New York Times executive editor Dean Baca compared it mockingly to an ad for the next Batman movie. And we're not mostly going to be nice to the Times in this episode, but I think back actually got that very correct. That does sound like a like a Nolan Batman line.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Fears that the US was lurching towards a new authoritarian crisis brought with them a surge of new paid subscribers to both The Post and The Times. Ag Solzberger, publisher of the New York Times, used some of that money to run a commercial at the twenty seventeen Academy Awards, wanting the nation's most connected celebrities. The truth is more important now than ever now. Both slogans depict a view of legacy media that news media executive is want to push of a battle of an embattled forth estate that's the bulwark against fascism and corruption. Very little evidence supports the claim that our media institutions have ever worked this way. The twenty first century has seen an unprecedented global expansion in news media, and yet Freedom House, a DC based nonprofit that conducts research and advocacy on democracy, calculates that over the last sixteen years, the number of people living in societies that are considered free has declined by more than twenty five percent, which is like a pretty startling number. I would say of unfree people, although you know what is freedom? I'm not free? You know. I think RFK Junior would agree with miss I'm not free. Road killed in every state, you know? So what use is liberty if I can't eat, if I can't scrape a deer carcass off the higher or Utah? What, Sophie?
Speaker 2: Look a car in every garage, a turkey in every pot, and a worm in every brain. And amserves that.
Speaker 1: Look, are you going to say that if we all had brain worms this country would vote worse? Because I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I think we're already rocking a sixty forty on that, brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do think a significant portion in this country has parasites.
Speaker 2: Said they're prase toxoplasms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So the decline in people living in free countries is initially sharpest in what they referred to as authoritarian states like Belarus in Syria, but in recent years it has increasingly impacted nations with long stable democratic traditions. These countries also happen to have the largest and most active news media sectors. Editors from prestigious publications like The Times. In the Post talk a lot about the importance of objectivity, right, in other words, not being a journalist like me, you know, who repeatedly is open about the fact that I think the Republican Party needs to be burnt to the ground. But Gallup continue used to register American trust in the media at or near record lows. Twenty twenty two was the first time that the percentage of Americans with no trust at all in the media was higher than the percentage with a great deal or fair amount of trust combined. So, whatever you want to say about the value of objectivity, I think the fact suggests that all of the focus our legacy media has on being quote unquote objective has led to a situation in which absolutely no one trusts them. So I don't know, Well, it seems like you're also doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Definitely coming from a filmmaking background, it's like an old saw that there is no objective way to make any kind of film, documentary or not, because you are a human filtering things through your perceptive process and making art is a sequence of decisions, so you can't not do that. So in a way, it's more effective and transparent to be alied. Yeah, I'm coming from this place. Here's what I've always Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with Werner Herzog on this. We're not flies on the wall. We should we should aspire to be the hornets that sting, you know, like that's the actual purpose.
Speaker 2: I just I broke with him ever since he refused to show us that bare footage show us.
Speaker 1: I want to watch that man die. Yeah, that's that's a great reaction to Timothy Treadwell's life story, which we should have been able to see.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So these facts, you know that this obsession with objectivity has at least coincided with a collapse in trust in the news media are not divorced from the actions of the editors and publishers of these great legacy companies. Roughly a year after The Post changed their slogan you know, democracy dies in darkness, they accepted an editorial from recip Type Airdwin, the authoritarian leader of Turkey who currently imprisons more journalists than any other world leader. This is relevant because his op ed bore the title Saudi Arabia still has many questions to answer about Jamal Koshovii's killing and yes they do, but you shouldn't be the one saying it. The guy, the guy who kills and imprisons more journalists than anyone, shouldn't be complaining about the murder of a journalist. Yeah, yeah, Like, what are we doing running this ad? Was there no one else who could write that story?
Speaker 2: Was there nobody else? Well, there were three spider men, but they were busy pointing at each other.
Speaker 1: The Times, obviously, during the same period, has continued to run a blistering series of irresponsibly sourced articles on transgender healthcare, which has helped to fuel a right wing eliminationist crusade against trans people. We're Both Glad, a queer advocacy organization, and several thousand New York Times contributors wrote letters complaining about this management dismissed their concerns they weren't being objective enough. Times publisher A. G. Sulzberger did make a personal statement when one of his reporters was allegedly spit on over this issue. The murder of Brionna Gay, a transgender sixteen year old in the UK, did not merit any direct comment from Sulzburger. You know, I think it's worth kind of looking at it like that none of these claims about like, well, we have to be objective, you know, it's people. It's important for us to remain trustworthy. They're never consistent about it. Right, There's certain things we can we'll try to be objective about. But you know, when there's an opinion that the people who own the paper have, that's going to be the paper's opinion, and we're just going to pretend like that's objectivity. And this is the reality that you find when you analyze the responses of the liberal press in Wymer Germany, in pre Mussolini Italy, and in the United States in the twenties and thirties. It's kind of sobering how direct the comparisons are, because rather than being opponents to fascism, these publications were at best ineffectual witnesses to disaster and at worst enablers of that disaster. We're going to talk about a lot of different newspapers and how they fucked up, but we're going to start in Italy in the period from World War one's end in nineteen eighteen to Mussolini's March on Rome near the end of nineteen twenty two. This is generally broken up by historians into two eras. You've got the Red Years, which saw powerful working class movements arise and try to do revolutionary activity, and then you've got the Black Years, which saw a fascist counter movement boil up in response and eventually seize power. Error At Goachman from Princeton has done the most accessible analysis of how liberal newspapers and pundits responded in both of these periods, and Goachman primarily analyzes Les Stampa, which was the most influential newspaper for like social democrat Italians right the kind of progressive left, and also Italian Illustration, which was a weekly paper that kind of was more geared towards the middle class center right. In modern US terms, Lestampa is something like the New Republic or maybe jacomin An Italian Illustration is like The Times or the Post. The Red Years were characterized by two large scale attempts at a general strike, the first of which occurred in nineteen nineteen and was centered around protesting the involvement of Allied governments in the Russian Civil War. Neither paper supported the strike, claiming a general solidarity with labor, but complaining that the strike would destroy Italy's collective wealth. And we're not talking about like an open ended like with the writer's strike right where it is scary because it's like we don't know when this is going to end. We don't know how long. You know, people are going to have to be out of work. You know it's necessary, but it's a frightening thing to contemplate. This was a two day strike meant to sort of a like we're trying to make a statement, right, but none of the papers were willing to endorse even something that limited. They Lestampa argued that it would have damaging effects on the national economy and quote would be a disaster for all bourgeoisie and proletarian alike. And again we're talking two days here, like you can't you can't go without this for two days.
Speaker 2: Did they have an argument for how the proletariat would suffer beyond will punish you.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, just that like this two day strike would be so devastating to the economy because proletariat Yeah, okay, yeah, you know Italy in the nineteen thirties, just the thing, or in nineteen twenties, things are moving so quickly economically, you know, it's the New York of the Mediterranean right.
Speaker 2: I can't throw brakes on this grave train. Things are moving too fast in there. You can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a lot of boss to to move. Care for a long.
Speaker 2: Tomato sauce, But that's a whole different thing.
Speaker 1: So Meanwhile, Italian illustrations coverage focused more on fears about communism in Russia and connections between like Italian socialists and their Russian and Hungarian counterparts. Lestampa, with its more working class readership, focused on the disruption of the strike, and Italian illustration attacked the strike movement for its purported ties to radicals who were, like oftentimes fighting in the East actively because the Russian Civil War is still going on. In September of nineteen twenty, the Federation of Metallurgical Workers or FIOM, ceased negotiations with factory management after being refused a new wage agreement. To avoid a strike and the economic consequences of a strike, workers occupied factories and defended them from their employers with armed red guards. This is a very cool chapter of Italian politics, right, Like these laborers take control of their places of business and put up armed guards in order to like fight it out with the cops and the fascists if they try to take them back. Now. Writers for Italian Illustration were immediately dismissive of this movement. They described the laborers who occupied the factories they worked in as little boys playing shopkeeper, grocer, salesman and sailor, which is like this is always what they did. Was like, well these these left Yeah, well they're they're taking over docs too. Okay, sure you get to day, like you look at the campus protests, you get a lot off. Like these little kids don't understand the world. You know, they're playing and being adults, they don't really get it. But in this case it's like, well, these guys are literally the ones who work in the factories, Like they're not little boys playing as like whatever. They do this job for a living. That's why they've taken the factories, the.
Speaker 2: Means of production. I believe I've heard somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just it's wild. It's wild how consistent the attacks are, but also how utterly divorced from reality, especially in this period they were. Now, the occupations were portrayed as a fundamentally childish thing, evidence of the quote infancy of a naive new society that mimicked the toils of grown up society. And again, these are the grown ups who were toiling. I don't know how this is mimicry. These are the men working in those factories.
Speaker 2: By definition, you are a writer, which I do for a living, and it's sad in a factory.
Speaker 1: I can tell you what are you talking about? Yeah? Yeah. The occupations sparked a violent reaction from Italy's far right street movement. Fascist gang attacks on workers and occupied factories grew increasingly common, alongside police raids. This created a sense of constant paranoia within the Red Guards, as Mussolini's Squadristi's took to carrying out what they call putative expeditions against labor organizations. Historian Angelo Hasket describes them as treating the murder of workers as sport. Now, despite this hideous situation, Lestampa and Italian illustration were united in treating the fascist violence as secondary to the problem of organized labor. Red Guards, they argued, had provoked gunfights with the fascists by their very existence, right, you can't blame the fascists for wanting to attack them. The fact that they existed were trying to defend themselves, justifies them being attacked, right.
Speaker 2: Well, they're just taking it a priori of like, surely we all agree it's always right to enforce the status quo and return to normalcy, yes, or like yeah, that goes without saying. And you're like, well, we are actually trying to alter some of we wanted.
Speaker 1: We wanted to change things in a way that was possible. Well you're evil for that, right Zaly And it's I mean, it is really that direct. Liberal columnist Renato Simoni wrote a column in which he argued that the real victims in this situation in which communists and socialists were being murdered like lit on fire, shot to death in their own factories, wrote yes, yes, Renado, somebody is like, the real victims here are middle class liberals who have to deal with disruption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're traffic, dude. They there were twenty five minutes late to work because of these kids. These kids are just doing this as a fan. You know, they just.
Speaker 1: Love getting shot to death by fascists, you know. For the one actual line from this column is oh, how tragic is the life of the poor bourgeoisie in Italy. You can't like, you couldn't you couldn't even make fun of it, while.
Speaker 2: The subtext is quite literally let the meat cake like, yeah, let's historical echo of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hope, I hope when the war got on, his house got hit by a bomb. I'll say that much.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: While this was going on, liberal papers treated Mussolini's rise as concerning and the fascists is problematic, but also less of a direct threat than the excesses of the far left. A degree of fear may also have stopped larger publications from taking a more active role in the struggle for the reigns of Italy's government. During the first half of nineteen twenty one, fascists destroyed seventeen left wing newspapers and printing presses. Again, they are literally just killing journalists and destroying peace by piece. The free press in Italy, and the free press in Italy, the liberal free press in Italy, the press that has the largest circulation, is largely being like, well, you got to understand why they're doing it. You know, there's a lot of economic you know, what's the disenfranchisement. You know among this population, they're anger. We have to understand their anger. Right, It's very familiar bullshit, but it's interesting to see it happen while the fascists are actively killing the media. In the summer of nineteen twenty one, various left wing armed groups and leftist war veterans formed a united militia to combat the fascists, the Rditi del Popolo. Now we noted day that these people were organizing a defense against Mussolini during basically the last moment in which any defense would have been possible. And I want to read a paragraph here from Goachman's piece. Lestampa's coverage of the Rdidi del Popolo's demonstration in Rome aimed to delegitimize the newly formed worker's self defense group, doing so in a manner reminiscent of the paper's condemnation of the Red Guards that were active during the factory occupations of September nineteen twenty. La Stampa emphasized the combativeness of some of the workers who were present. For example, the Royal Guards had no choice but to arrest the most quarrelsome and hot headed of the demonstrators. Additionally, while describing instances of violence involving a young man struck with a blow to the head falling to the ground, or a manual laborer struck with his hand on his bloody head. The newspaper employed the passive voice and thus obscured the direct agency of the policeman and the fascist SQUADRISTI in the events. You can't write that fascists hurt somebody, just like you can't write that cops hurt somebody. Someone simply got hurt, you know. Yeah, and we'll talk some more about this trend that absolutely doesn't persist to the present day. But you know what does persist the present day?
Speaker 2: Michael, I could guess, but I don't want to steal your thunder and revenue.
Speaker 1: So you take it capitalism, sweet lady, Capitalism, Michael still with us. You know, she's our nurse maid, She's our lover in a lot of ways, you know, our only friend. Some would argue, not me, but some. Anyway, here's ads Ah, we're back, Michael. Does your sole feel refreshed from hearing about Chumba Casino? The good news?
Speaker 2: It feels capitalized, and you take that as whatever emotional charge you want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love gambling.
Speaker 2: I love capital Yeah, I love how you get things started.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Fascism is flooding into Italy in nineteen twenty one, right and yet you know, the media, as laborers try to organize to fight against it, can only kind of use the passive voice to describe the violence of Mussolini's Black Shirts as they slowly take power or pretty quickly take power. And it's interesting to me, like how consistent this denial of agency to some people and this apportioning of blame to others is still to this day And right as I finalized this article, which is like a year ago now, The Atlantic published a pretty reckless article about the dangerous new anarchist movement in the United States, and I think is a good example of this. Among other things, the article made lurid reference to the shooting of an armed fascist gang member, a Proud Boy, in Portland by an anarchist named Michael Reinol, and claimed that the police had later been forced to shoot Rhinel in self defense. Which is interesting to me because evidence, significant documentation of that shooting proved that Rainel never fired at officers when he was shot dozens of times, like he was not brandishing a weapon. They came in and they assassinated him. And part of how we know they assassinated him is that President Trump bragged about having his federal ass assassinate this guy. He got up on stage and said, I had them kill this man. But you don't have to report on that if you're the Atlantic, right, because like that's not going to sound objective, you know, if you talk about the fact that this guy was probably murdered before he could have his day in court. I don't know, it's just it's good. It's good to see the same thing repeatedly happening.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, propaganda's equally what you omit, right, what's wild to me to see in the present is again capitalism. The twenty four hour news cycle that we know is now algorithm driven and hit driven, which I'm totally part of, but yeah, pop culture sense. But with news, it's gotten to the point where they don't report anymore that Trump says fucking insane stuff, no, because they're like everyone knows that already. That doesn't pull clicks because it's established and it's like yeah, but it bears repeating.
Speaker 1: It's like you be covering it, Well, what's the same thing? I you know, I I rarely say, like the libs have a point about you know, this this major thing, but they when they got angry that like there was all this focus on Biden being too old to be president and not any focus on how Trump is clearly also slipping right, he is not the man he was in twenty sixteen. Like, that's a fair point. It's it's kind of fucked up that they just pretended he was not also sundowning.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's not even the agenda. I mean, in some cases it is, but I believe in most cases the reporters are not going, I'm a Trumper, so I'll omit this information as a propagandic syop. They're going, the Trump stuff's all. The Biden stuff's new. I'm trying to write stuff that hits. That's it.
Speaker 1: I also think I think they don't like Biden. Biden's administration is kind of famously strangling media access in a way that makes it harder to get out stories, whereas with Trump it's always really easy to get stories, right. So I do think there's a degree of like, we're just kind of pissed that this guy is hard or for us to monetize. I think that is the issue for us.
Speaker 2: But the Turkish guy was murdering them and they love it.
Speaker 1: They they love more than getting Oh my god, great stuff anyway. You know, Michael, one of the promises we make here at Cool Zone to all of our employees is that if you are murdered by the Saudi government, we're not going to then hire another dictator to make a podcast about how that was wrong.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I get the analogy there, and yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, we do that in a blood oath.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, not our blood. You know, we found some of the Actually I was going to.
Speaker 2: Say, is that the class of blood over the palm. No, because that's not enough blood.
Speaker 1: It's it's more of a carry situation. Michael, we talk immens from blood. Then well, look a different scene, a different scene. I think. I think, honestly, as an American, it's my right to not tell our employees where the blood.
Speaker 2: Came from, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it's very important fact that. Yeah, I did email him the truth so you can keep a secret, right, Yes, Edward, you seem like E really the guy to do this. So the main thing that the Italian liberal press is guilty of in this period is treating radical left wing organizing as if it's outside of acceptable lines fundamentally right, while treating the fascists and their violence as understandable, as normal and maybe even inevitable. Lestampa wrote had a call published a column in which they blamed anarchists and communists for arming themselves, which had forced the black Shirts to arm themselves. This, they promised, the fascists would happily hand over their guns if the Rdidi del Popolo had not given quote fascism a motive to cry provocation. These fascists are just aching to give up their weapons. But you mean all leftists armed yourself, and now they can't like? What an insane thing to write. In nineteen twenties Italy like by late nineteen twenty one, much of the liberal media class saw protests in organizing by workers as the primary cause of fascist violence. This resulted in what historian Angelo Taska called filo fascism on behalf of many middle class liberals. We can see this in the reaction of writers for Italian Illustration to the August nineteen twenty two general strike, and their eyes the economic disruption justified right wing violence, which provoked a broad and immediate consensus in public opinion for the fascists. The paper glowingly celebrated black shirts replaced workers on train platforms and public services. Renado Simoni wrote that the failed protests of nineteen twenty two enabled fascism to demons straight. It's merits. Wow, these fascists are killing reporters, but they sure caad work a train platform.
Speaker 2: But also there's scabs, but also they'll cross the picket line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also it's such a it's such a direct it's imports so directly to like, well, of course people are murdering protesters who block roads. They have to get to work, right, Like, it doesn't nothing, none of this ever changes, you know, this attitude that like some things are worth killing people over, and it's not you know, self defense. Uh, it's stuff like I might be late to my job, right, that's worth But if if someone on the left were to kill a fascist and self defense, that's unjust. But somebody murdering a group of people for standing in a road, well that's understandable. You got to get where they're coming from here, you know.
Speaker 2: And we've seen time and again the human mind is so malleable for yeah, better and worse, you can. Yeah, it's there's just Big Brother hits so often where it's like no, literally the opposite of that, what do you like? Insane? What's going on? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Historians like Adrian Lyttleton will argue that sympathy to fascist names was a common reaction for liberal papers reporting on the chaos of the early nineteen twenties. This doesn't mean that there weren't liberal papers that oppose the fascists as consistently as left wing papers, but it does mean that many of the more influential writers in the center left showed what you could call a bias towards normalcy, one that could accommodate fascist violence but could not accommodate organized labor, right. And it's you still get this today, right, not just for organized labor. There's a lot of folks in the liberal media who can accommodate Israeli violence, right, but cannot accommodate any sort of fair discussion about protests against that violence, for example. And there's a you know, when I think about that, I think about The New York Times recently published an op edd by Brett Stevens in May of twenty twenty four titled A thank You Note to the Campus protesters. In it, Brett argued, you know, kind of snarkily I get that many, if not most, of you see yourselves as dedicated idealists who want to end suffering for Palestinians, champion equality, and oppose all forms of bigotry. There are ways you could do that without making common cause with people who hate Jews, want to kill us and often do. Supporting a two state solution would be one such way. Insisting that Palestinians deserve better leaders than Hamas is another. Building bridges with Israelis is a third. And it's like, yeah, man, I agree, Palestinians deserve better leaders than Hamas, but that's not really the immediate issue. The immediate issue is all of the people being killed.
Speaker 2: Right, You very carefully said things where you're like, yeah, that's also technically true.
Speaker 1: How do you expect them to vote right now? Brett? Right, Like, who's gonna hold that election at the moment the polling places.
Speaker 2: We'll do this totally. It's totally the same mechanic as a guy who's like, well, you know, the thirteen percent of the people in America invested in the stock markets, line went up this month, and yeah, bitch, I can't afford ham sandwich, so I don't care about.
Speaker 1: That, And the whole thing about like, yeah, there's some college students and other protesters who've like waved ha Moss flags. Do I like that? I don't like any flags, right, argument, I'm not a flag guy. But again, that's not the issue. If the if the people, if you could point to a guy waving a flag and be like, and he also killed seven thousand children, I would say, then yes, this is a serious issue. Right.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is how do you not see it in the same bucket? Is Ultimately the argument against the protesters is always you're burning a flag, which to me is kind of violent. Y, it could escalate to violence, and you're like violence, I just saw a guy carrying his decap potato baby, Yeah, what is the what are you talking about? And it is?
Speaker 1: But that is you've hit upon it because like what Brett and a lot of the leadership cadre at the Times are doing, it's the same as what a lot of these Italian journalists did. They equated rudeness and disruption of like transit and stuff to the to slaughters to murder, right, like those things are equal. Right, Brett is saying a college student being rude is actually more dangerous than city with the children murder and a guy waving a Hamas flag and the slaughter of thirty thousand small children equally problematic.
Speaker 2: They both make me wildly uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I would say that a dude being kind of a dick at a protest is less of a problem than burning thousands of children alive. We can get a little more context into the thoughts and decisions of the kind of newsmen who made these sort of decisions. Right, we can normalize the fascists, but not the left. By pivoting over to Weimar, Germany and the Olstein publishing house. Olstein pub was founded in eighteen seventy seven, which is seven years after the birth of the German state, by Leopold Olstein, the son of a paper merchant. By the time the Weimar years rolled around, Olstein was the biggest name in German print media. They put out newspapers, magazine and books, a dizzying array of what we now call content. The Olsteins were a politically progressive Jewish family, and as a result, much of what they published was reflexively liberal in its outlook. They were obviously an early target for the Nazis, who described them as when the Nazis talked about Jewish press. Like if you've ever seen a Hitler speech or read anything where the Nazis are talking about the Jewish press in Germany, they're talking about Olstein, right, That's not like a broad general just a broad general term. They are specifically referring to Olstein because it is the biggest publishing house in the country. The Nazi tracked the press as a Jewish instrument of power, published in nineteen twenty, focused an entire chapter just on Olstein. German communists hated Olstein's two for different reasons. Like most publishing empires, Olstein made its money from ads. Consumer culture was a new concept in post war Germany, and Olstein cheered it on with publications like Tempo, which devoted large illustrated sections to which products people should buy to make the most of their weekends, which were also a new concept. As a result, it's not surprising that most Olstein papers reflected a political allegiance broadly tied to the German Democratic Party or DDP, which had helped to write the Weimar Constitution. The one major break Olstein had with the DDP was over the value of unionizing corporate spokesman emphasized the positive relations between management and labor at Olstein, and one of Olstein's owners noted that we think that liked these good relations be ruined if you unionize, right, it'll separate us from each other. Anytime you hear that from your boss, you know you're about to get rat fucked. Great, great stuff.
Speaker 2: I was at a company that will not be named, but if you know my history, I've only been at two companies, so you could figure it out. But they were like, man, it's what a hard job. They hired an executive who didn't work at that company, So it's a guy you've never who's this guy? We don't know, this guy whose job was to do a little spiel and spin that like it would be in your best interest to not talk about unionizing, like we've been hearing a lot about it. Could you guys not use the word union or talk about union or forming a union?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so weird. He just does that, like hey, kids, sits down backwards on the shair job.
Speaker 2: And we found out wheater he goes from company to company doing that. There's enough demand for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, of course, because they they don't understand that, Like why people want to unionize, like I do. Think there's a degree to which they're baffled that people would want more money than they have. It's it's it's I don't know, crazy rich people. Brainworms, right, which are worse than I think the RFK junior brainworms? Those are honest, god fearing brainworms, right, not the kind that money gives you.
Speaker 2: What? Speaking of god fearing brain worms, you know who.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have brain worms? The sponsors of our podcast.
Speaker 2: The eponymous Lisa of Mattress fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, who's that?
Speaker 2: Oh? That was the one all the pods pushed Lisa Mattresses?
Speaker 1: Is Lisa one of the Mattresses? I just I remember? Does two different mattress company ads at this point? I'll take another. We should in bed right? Yeah, ah, we're back. I just bought a bed, Michael, you bought a bed. You know, we're all we're all bedding it out. You know, why don't you buy a bed? Listener, then come back to the podcast, laying down on your bed, delivered to you in a suspiciously small package that then kind of inflates when you open it and you ask yourself, are there like weird chemicals in this that makes this possible. This doesn't seem like it should be a thing that a bed can do. But then you stop thinking about it, just like you stopped thinking about what all the plastics in your water bottle?
Speaker 2: Will you inevitably transition to, hey, remember those little dinosaur sponges and the pills that expanded and right, making those that a chemical thing the rabbit hole?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just not worth thinking about what it is forgetting to.
Speaker 2: Use coupon code, old and Stalenstein whatever it.
Speaker 1: So. Ostein publications fell into a version of the same trap that befell La Stampa, claiming support for organized labor, except for when it actually organized. Meanwhile, it was hesitant initially to report on the Nazis, do in part to a fear of feeding in the Nazi myths of Jewish control of the media. Right because we are a Jewish owned publishing house. We can't report on Nazi violence against the Jews because people will think we're not being objective, right, Like, that's how deep the brain worms go about this kind of thinking. And I will say, for the Ostein family, it's a little more understandable than it's going to be when the same thing happens in the US because they are also worried. Well, this could actually direct some real violence to me, right, although I think a more rational person would have said, well, but the Nazis are going to direct violence against you guys no matter what, so you might as well try to make people aware of it. Now, conservative mass media did not suffer from the same problem. The august Scherrel company, purchased by Alfred Hugenberg in nineteen sixteen, owned one of the largest papers in Berlin, as well as one of Germany's first newswire services. Hugenberg was also a far right political activist and politician. He is the Andrew Breitbart of his day, and he felt no compunction against using his papers to espouse an anti democratic agenda. Now, he was not anti Semitic in a way that rose above the background level of the era right unlikely, he was not motivated by it like the Nazis were, but he was willing to work with Adolf Hitler to further his own ends, so the two started collaborating after the death of Chancellor Gustav Stressmann in nineteen twenty nine. This was after an election in which the German National Party had lost a bunch of seats. He was willing to work with Hitler and use his papers to try and launder their reputation to more mainstream German conservatives. Meanwhile, Ostein, the largest liberal publishing house in the country, refused to embrace anything beyond tech support for us. You know, this kind of vague concept of democracy. Right. The Nazis were depicted in Olstein publications as something to be mocked and scorned, but not as a serious threat to the future of the system. Right, we'll make fun of him a little bit, but like he's a clown. There's no way, right, Franz Olstein, who yes, yeah, same same thing, right, that's how they fees you in Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's it's remarkable how directly it grafts onto what we've seen. Franz Olstein, who was one of the few mainstream journalists to spend real one on one time with Hitler in this period, described him as a poor fanatic, a pitiful man. It was impossible, in Olstein's eyes that such a man could actually threaten German democracy. Right, this guy's too much of a clown to be a real danger.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, doctor Seuss is dunking on him left and right. He's no threat to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. This caused serious debate. Heinz Olstein actually yelled at the editorial department for mocking the NSDAP. He wanted them treated like a serious party. So did Karl Yodicki, an assistant to Olstein's GM, who wrote a white paper arguing the Nazis were quote quote a movement for political freedom and economic justice. So not only are like, on one hand, you've got the people who are like, well, these guys are just clowns, and then at the end you've got folks who are like, no, they're not clowns. There were real movement with real issues, and we should we should fairly discuss the issues that the Nazis are bringing up. As a liberal publisher, Olstein opposed the party's anti democratic politics, but Yodicki warned against them getting caught up in quote the politics of petty details. And what did Yodicky mean by petty details reporting on us quote assaults of evil Nazis on peaceful protesters. Right, we can't get caught up in the politics of who are the Nazis murdering? Who are they beating in the streets. How many folks are they assassedascinating? Right, That's that's got to get you know. You don't want to get bogged down on that stuff. We have to discuss the bigger issues, like what do they think about the economy? Sick?
Speaker 2: Always the economy, Always the economy.
Speaker 1: That's what really matters, Not the fact that they are murdering journalists, Like that's not really a big deal to us, you know. The assassination, the beatings of Jewish people in the street, not really a problem. You know. Let's talk about what they have to say about inflation now. The very, very best investigation I have found into this period of German media is the book Modern Modernity by Yoachen Hung. It focuses on the Olstein Company and one of its most popular papers, Tempo Hung Rights Quote. To be able to compete with Nazi propaganda, the Olstein papers had to change their tune, Yodicki claimed. Instead of touting lofty ideals of individual freedom and democracy, they had to follow a resurgent patriotism which strongly emphasized the welfare of the whole community instead of the individual, and worked with ations instead of reason and skepticism. As this was the only way to gain influence with the masses. The temporary curtailing of civic rights and democracy was inevitable in this time of crisis, he argued, shouldered with their daily struggle, the people did not care much for the luxury of freedom at the moment anyway. As he showed in a later memorandum, Yodocky was clearly fascinated by the Nazis. The core principle of the movement, he argued, was a return to universally accepted, non debatable, unchangeable forms of life instead of general relativity. So you've got this guy who is working for this paper owned by a Jewish family that is ostensibly liberal, who is one of the people making calls there, and he's kind of obsessed with the Nazis in a positive way, Like he has gotten enraptured by how different they seem and how exciting they are to report on, right, And he's focusing.
Speaker 2: Not a hate group, revitalizing Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's interested so interested in reporting on what they claim to believe that he's like, we can't report on the violence they're doing. That's not fair, right, That's that's missing the point of the Nazis right, They're not about the violence, They're about the economics. Yodicki argued that the Nazi movement's simplicity was what gave it the ability to grab hold of and guide the masses. Their primitive slogans of hate and vengeance were more effective than the wonky policy arguments of the German State Party. Who Ostein had earlier backed the company's pivot away from directly criticizing Nazi violence called caused Gersam Schlolm, a Berlin born Jewish philosopher and writer, to call Ostein one of the most dishonest and misleading media companies in Germany. As Hitler neared power in thirty one and thirty two, Olstein pivoted to position itself as loyal to the political machine of Paul von Hindenberg. Their hope was that he would maintain a semblance of democratic civil society in the face of Hitler's rise. Right, that Hindenberg, this old man who's committed to the system, he'll protect us from Hitler. Right. This was a bad call in hindsight, and also an obviously bad call at the time. Now there were journalists and papers who published serious exposes on Nazi crimes. In the nineteen twenty eight election season, social democratic papers published stories claiming Hitler had been bribed by Mussolini in exchange for ending the German claim to South Tyrol when he took power. Hitler sued over the matter, and the libel case ground forward until nineteen thirty two, the subject of heavy reporting all the while. Likewise, when Hans Litten subpoened Hitler over the stabbing of two workers by SA men and questioned him on the stand about incitements to violence in Nazi propaganda, reporters dutifully brought the trial to millions of German living rooms. It didn't matter. Kurt Trukolski, one of Weimar's most influential journalists, noted morosely the prestige of large democratic newspapers or artists, and of liberal associations, in fact, bears no relation to their actual power. Kurt saw them as functionally toothless, and the face of what he called the power of reaction always there and working more skillfully and above all less respectfully. And I again, that's exactly how it feels today, right, You know, things have changed in the last couple of weeks to some extent, but I think we've all felt that feeling of like, Okay, so everyone in any position of like cultural influence claims to be against the rise of fascism in this country, and that has done absolutely nothing to like make it less popular. It doesn't hurt them at all. It seems to be completely toothless. And these respectable people who are in traditional positions of cultural influence, they just have no ability to confront the fascists on their own turth because the fascists are willing to like they're not. They have no need to be respectful, right, they have no need to follow the rules.
Speaker 2: They also appeal to fear, which is such a primal nmvator for us, just as animals. I highly recommend a documentary called Century of the Self, which is about how Freud's brother, I believe y essentially cousin was. I mean, people, you just described someone who discovered this, so people independently discover it. But he's the godfather of modern advertising in a sense for discovering that, like, oh, emotion, don't explain why the product is good, Just make them feel like they're a piece of shit if they don't have this thing. It's so easy to control people this way, and it's like every time someone discovers that it's the beginning of the end. That's a big problem. Like that's not good.
Speaker 1: It's an atom bomb that keeps getting forgotten and rediscovered, and so yeah, exactly, it's great stuff. Now my opinion about this because I spent a lot of the last three or four years in particular, as like Biden's chances grew more dire and the far right kind of got more mask off about like you just had more of their influencers saying we're we're about to end democracy.
Speaker 2: Huzzah. Right, yeah, it's a rollback, Like sorry, you just briefly touched on trans rights, and it's like they're statistically speaker, so few trans people. It's so obviously a tip of a rollback. It's like we're testing whether we can say gay people are bad. Obviously we're doing that, like this we.
Speaker 1: Want to kill them too, but like, well, we got to start with the smaller group that has less power. It is easier to marginalize, right because gay people actually like have a lot of cultural power. But at this point, right, yeah, uh you know, and it's when it comes to like how ought the media report on stuff like this, right, because Tukoski, the point he's making is that, like well, the legacy media is bound by rules that hamstring them from fighting these people because they feel they have to treat them respectfully, and you can't get across the damage to danger of them if you do it that way. Right, My contention is that fascism is a mortal threat to journalism, right if you are a journalist, like any creature when it's life is threatened, has the right to defend itself. And if you are a journalist dealing with fascism rising in your country, I would argue it is not rational to be fair to them, right, Your job should be trying to destroy them, you know, And I think back when I think about this and how you want, like what kind of weapons work? Right? If traditional straight reporting and objectivity, like if literal facts do not beat these people, and they never do, it doesn't matter that the fascists lie, You are not going to fact check them away. It has never happened and it will never happen. Now, ask forward to today when a Twitter account with seventeen hundred followers made a post claiming that jd Vance, one of our country's most prominent fascists had written about fucking a couch in his book He'll Billy Elegy, because no.
Speaker 2: One actually it's in the book.
Speaker 1: No, look at, no one read that book, so nobody checked it, right, Like people pretended to read it, but it's it's dog shit right, So because of that, like people just weren't interested in checking it. The li went incredibly viral, with an even number of people believing that JD. Vance had literally fucked a couch, and also an even number just understanding the joke, which is that Vance is the Again, it gets to a truth about Vance, which is that he is the kind of weirdo who would fuck a couch. When VP candidate Tim Walls referenced the couch fucking in his own way during his inaugural speech on the campaign trail, the same media organs a number of them who have all failed to hinder the growth of authoritarian politics in the US erupted outrage. Right, you know, democrats shouldn't go low. It's bad to lie, you know in this way. Well this is also yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's not an AI episode, so I won't. But this also speaks to like, because I don't trust mainstream media, and I get all my news online. Online is also a wild West where you're like, maybe an Ai wrote that, so you kind of absorb your news that you think is factual a with a grain of salt and b through like a cloud of data points. So I still don't know. I understand the couch thing is false. Did he search for dolphin porn? Are you up on the definitive answer on that?
Speaker 1: I think he may have just been looking for He may have an explanation I saw that seems at least equally plausible. Is that because because folks, if you're not aware of this, he posted like a video of a dolphin molesting a woman, which is actually a thing that happens pretty frequently. Dolphins are do not uncommon. They're sexually assault human beings. Dolphins are capable of rape, like they know what they're doing. Uh. Anyway, whatever, it's enough of my anti dolphin dolphin aside, we have to take it out. Yeah no, so uh he posts this video of a woman getting like molested by a dolphin and is like, boy, the internet's sure a fucked up place or something like that, right, and Democrats, Yeah, searched for women plus dolphins basically, and folks like, was he just searching for dolphin porn? I think it's also plausible that like he was just scrolling through found this on his feed, you know, moved past it because sh it was happening, and then was trying to find it later and used to.
Speaker 2: Liked this of it all.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's the same as the couch thing, right, and that like, well, it does kind of seem plausible that this guy would be looking for dolphin porn, right yea, And that's why this that's why, and it's hurt him. This is damaged. And you've seen like some of the fascists who are on his I'd try to like launch a campaign to argue that that Walls or to like try They've tried to do the same thing with Tim Walls by like spreading rumors that he drinks horsecom or something, but like Tim Walls doesn't seem like he drinks horsecom right. Jd Vance seems like a couch fucker who watches dolphin porn. So it's somebody that's just not gonna work.
Speaker 2: Like Trump. Trump knows this because he's fairly good at it. It doesn't always work, but there's something about vibe that makes an insulting nickname stick or not stick.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, And for the record, if you were to try the same thing with Trump, it wouldn't work because Trump doesn't seem like a guy who like even searches for a porn right, Like, he's just not that kind of You would need a different set of tactics with him. But this works on Vance.
Speaker 2: No, but you like he sexually assaulted a woman and paid her off, You're like, right, I'm.
Speaker 1: Definitely for sure that does seem like him. And when it comes to the folks who are concerned about the danger to our national political environment, if we if we accept things like what Walls did referencing this lie about Vance, I don't know, we can't get any lower at this point, Folks like, there's there's no bottom that we're going to sync to by actually using some of the weapons these people do and fighting on the same playing field. It's like someone it's like if a guy comes up to you in the street with a crowbar and start swinging and you pick up another crowbar, and then someone else is like, hey, man, you're being just as bad as him by picking up that crowbars. No, you want to you want a crowbar. If a guy is swinging a crowbar at you, you want to at least have the same grade of weapon that that.
Speaker 2: Motherfuckers got in a vacuum. The idea of beating someone with a crowbar is it's really nice. Yeah, there's we're not in a vacuum.
Speaker 1: Brother, he attacked you with the crowbar. First hit him in the face.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't I feel like whenever you say you got to bring up proportionality, because then people use that to go right, this guy set foot on my property, so I murdered his family. Or these people took hostages, so we're going to genocide them real quick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the difference is if you're doing it to literally the people doing it to you, and JD. Vance is spreading lies about trans people. Jd. Vance has talked repeatedly that he doesn't think women should be able to hold elected office, right he is, like, when you're dealing with that guy, like we're not saying I think this random Trump supporter is a couch fucker, you know, like this is extremely targeted and there's I don't really see there being any splash damage here. That's that's to an unfair degree, and I don't know. I'm glad that there are people in the media and people within kind of the liberal political establishment who clearly finally understand this, because I had really identified with Tukolski's exhaustion and hopelessness right over, Like why doesn't anyone know how to fight these people? Right now? I will say some of you know, if you're looking, if you want to like fairly sort of discuss why to Kolski was writing the way he was. It's also because he had this belief, like a lot of media elites did, that every German outside of Berlin was a philistine, right, like all of these people, like the regular people are too dumb to understand what the Nazis are doing, which.
Speaker 2: I I knowzies are playing for d chest. Dude, I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what I think Actually, what you saw with Walls is a lot better, Like it's a lot smarter than not just like what has been being been done before, but like what a guy like tou Kolski would have said, where you're you're not treating the audience as dumb, You're not trying to manipulate them. You're telling a joke and you're trusting that they will understand the joke right in a way, also.
Speaker 2: Going where the cultures going in the sense that way back when, right when they first tell the debates, we started getting the rhetoric of like I kind of want a president that i'd like to have a beer with or hang out with, and then people end up voting that way, and then presidents start going fuck high art or being a leader. I'm gonna be on between two ferns because that's where votes are. People think that's funny and endearing. So yeah, I think they're just going wherever they can to get the attention they so desperately crave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you know we all do to some extent.
Speaker 2: Michael, Oh, absolutely, I know them.
Speaker 1: I know that attention is my sunlight. You know I'm a wilted career without it. Yeah, really, yes, yes, Sophie obviously.
Speaker 2: Well dude, and you're one of this show is one of the premier voices pointing stuff out that you're unable to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't do anything about this, but somebody, but it sucks. Yeah. Now I want to say again, because we're coming down so hard on the German media. During this period, there were a lot of journalists who strove to activate people and who were trying to meet the Nazis on their level and fight them. One of them was one of my very favorite people in history, an American columnist named Dorothy Thompson. Thompson is one of the best, one of the great journalists of all time, one of the great anti fascist journalists of all time, and she wrote that Nazism was quote a repudiation of the history of Western man of reason, humanism, and a Christian ethic. Thompson joined members of the Foreign Press Corps like William Shier, who had began to see warning the world about Hitler as a moral imperative. And Shyer is you know, he's one of these guys if you read through, because he's the author of the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich Right. If you read him today, you will note that he is wildly homophobic, massively homophobic, like a real bigot in that regard. But he is also a committed anti fascist, and he would later report on the annexation of Austria submit at substantial personal risk. The men who ran Olstein took a different tactic to keep Hindenberg happy. They began to run articles supporting the military and rearmament. They stopped their support of liberal democratic parties, and they hired a man named Hans Schaeffer, the former State secretary, to reform their coverage of the Nazis. That a Schaeffer's credit. His stated goal managing the paper was to turn it into a weapon of resistance to the Nazis, which sounds good, but here's how he thought he was going to do that. So his idea was that like, well, if we just let Hitler get into power, then he's going to have to govern and the gridlock of the Viymar system is just going to wear him down to a nub. So Schaefer supported and made sure his column is supported the attempts of the von Poppen and von Schleicher governments to create a coalition with the Nazis, because he was like, once they have to govern, that'll destroy them, and we the Ostein papers will have a valuable role to play as the loyal, critical opposition. You know, we'll make it clear how incompetent they are, and that will gradually lead to.
Speaker 2: Their toward smartness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just we're going to if people just see how bad they are at govern it. Surely we'll be able to vote them out, which is like, yeah, they're not going to let you vote again, brother.
Speaker 2: Surely, once the man, Surely, once they drive off the cliff and kill us all, it'll be like I told you so, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll think that's how this is going to end. So yeah, real miscalculation. Now, Schaeffer did see himself as protecting democracy, even though he had to support an authoritarian government to do so. As a result, in nineteen thirty two, he directed Tempo Olstein's most popular publication to devote more and more page space to the street fighting between Nazis and their opponents. Both sides were presented as functional equals, since they both ignored the laws of the state. A New Year's Eve nineteen thirty two, Tempo published a political cartoon that embodied the fundamentally naive way it depicted German society. The tune showed a tired woman mother Germany, tucking her problem children into bed and hoping that they'd get along next year. And the problem children are there's like hanging on the posters of the bed. There's like a Nazi helmet, and there's like an iron front cap and a communist hat. So it's like all of these people are you know, there's quarreling in the streets, but they're just like little kids wrestling or whatever, you know, And soon the lollby countryman again and things will be okay. Yeah, yeah, you really got your fingers on the pulse there. In the decades since Hitler's rise to power, different historians have posited a variety of suspicions as to why the Viymar press failed so miserably as a guardian of democracy. Kurt Kozick, who published an exhaustive three volume study on the German press in nineteen seventy two, blamed a lack of internal freedom at news publications. The financial needs of owners who profited by selling ads always came before quality reporting. Modris Eckstein's, who authored a study on the German democratic press titled Limits of Reason, broadly agreed with this conclusion, and nothing illustrates this fact more clearly than the way the Olstein publications responded to the rise of the Nazis in the early thirties. This was the last time liberal resistance to Hitler might have won the day, and it was inarguably the last opportunity to try. But the popularity of the Nazis and the success with which they demonized their most firm and opposition communists and street fighting socialist meant fervent opposition had a cost too high for any capitalist entity to bear. So Olstein's papers lurched away from reporting on politics and plunged further into encouraging consumption. Their answer was, we've got to fix the economy to stop the Nazis, So we've got to get people buying stuff again, right, going on vacation again, And I'm going to read a quote from Moderate Modernity writing about the July nineteen thirty two issue of Tempo. The header of each issue of the promotional magazine usually carried short aphorisms or motivation sayings, and this issue declared that everybody has to buy as much as they can afford, an appeal that turned consumption into almost a national duty. When the von Poppen government announced an investment program to inject life into the stagnating economy in nineteen thirty two, Paul Elsberg, editor in chief of Olstein's Central Business Desk, lauded the move and prophesied a considerable strengthening of purchasing power in the near future. So in the last year before Hitler took power, the major liberal press organ of the country is being like, what y'all have to do to stop this is buy right, like, get in there and support the economy. That's goin to fix everything.
Speaker 2: Well, it allow incentivized people to vote right, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Well, they're saying you're voting by spending money. That's the voting that really matters. Right, Yeah, Now, this is the last year before Hitler takes power. And instead of reporting on what the Nazis are doing with Hindenberg and the conservative parties or even like suggest the building of a popular front between the left and the center and you know, social democratic parties, Tempo urged readers to build a front of all optimists fighting against the fear of consumption. Right, don't build a united you know, political front against fascism. Build a front of optimists to want to spend money.
Speaker 2: Let's get Kristinsky out here. Let's do some good news for Kidnea's sake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is very much the Yeah, let's let's get the good news.
Speaker 2: My brain is ruined by the internet, so I can only think in terms of memes. But it's this is fine. It's the dog sitting in the flaming building.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, spend some money and you won't notice the flames.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now it's interesting. Tempo didn't just try to do ads speak here. They tried to assemble a street movement around capitalist consumption publishing tear out flyers for readers to send their clients at work. They were urged to set an example for their neighbors by spending more money themselves. This was the only thing that could say Germany from darkness. Spending creates jobs. Jobs create income which will be spent on your products. So fight with us for a healthy consumer optimism and start in your own interest with yourself. Now, nothing that happened, the fact that the economy fell apart, that like purchasing power did not increase. None of this stopped Tempo's management from pushing this vision of consumption. Instead, they added advice on weaponry to their technology. Everybody needs column advertising concealed truncheons for readers to fight off robbers with. Now, when I was a kid reading about the rise of the third Reichen School, every textbook that mentioned the subject featured nearly identical photos of these huge piles or reel barrows of Deutsche marks to emphasize how bad the inflation was and y our Germany. I was led to believe that pick people picked Hitler because he promised them away out And the reality, of course, is that most Germans never chose Hitler in an open election. His success was based as much on trickery and corruption as electoral victory. But the Great Depression did play a role, and I think mainstream histories of this period tend to underemphasize how much of what happened was the result of failure by liberal messaging rather than hit larry and brainwashing. The Nazis and the Communists both saw their popularity increase in this period, while the German liberal parties bled voters, and this is because both Nazis and Communists offered voters visions right different visions, but visions nonetheless of a way forward that was not simply let's keep doing the same thing that obviously doesn't work. Tempo as the most popular liberal magazine in the country, showcases this failure. It told readers there is but one way to fight the crisis. Buying. Women were depicted not as the noble wellsprings of the German race, or as equal beings, but as economic engines, praised for the money they spent. Just one day after the parliamentary elections in late nineteen thirty two, Tempo ran an ad that captioned a photo of a woman in line at the store with the words women must continue voting right. The vote that matters from women is where you spend your money. So the brief boone and boom and travel that Tempo had helped push in the late twenties had collapsed by this point, and the magazine just kind of responded by lying about the situation, predicting that late summer nineteen thirty two is going to be the sunny holiday season that Germans need to like get their minds off the domestic situation. One of their regular columns was written by a character named Hans Einfach, which means basically John everyman in German. A few days after the July election, with the Nazis working their way into the halls of power, Hans published a column on political violence. He described it as silly, a shame on both sides, and made a few lighthearted jokes at the expense of the Nazis. Then, as Yuchen Hung writes, he described the decision to spend money on a holiday despite not being able to afford it as the necessary defiance of the economic situation. Finally, at summer, many people are sitting at home at the moment, contemplated if they can afford a few days of holiday. I have come to the conclusion that I can't afford it, and that's exactly why I will go on a holiday. We just have to afford it. It's such a such like a baffling death drive. That's like, we're going to try to get people to buy vacations. As the economy falls apart and they, like Hitler comes into power, the most important thing we can do is get people to spend money they don't have.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting that it's not for self care. That it's explicitly like we do things where we go, oh, you're having a baby, that's wonderful. Give me ten thousand dollars for a bunch of bullshit please, Yeah, we cover it with something, you know. It's like the idea of pamper yourself. You deserve it. Like in this crazy life where we're all oppressed by capitalism, come spend more money because you deserve it. It's interesting to hear them be like spend money, to spend money, Like just give us money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all that these Oldstein papers are doing is telling people to spend money and putting their faith in Paul von Hindenberg, who like because he's you know, they've gone from we're like, we're progressive. You know, we're looking at the future too. Well, this old man will moderate the Nazis, right, be alive forever right in Tempo's every man columns, at the same time, tended to portray anyone who was like on the left as unhinged. Right, the ideal voter was level headed, slow and steady, like Hindenburg hung rights. Tempo's Voice of the common man often compared the hostile climate of Weimar's political sphere to everyday situations such as a squabbling family or life in a tenement house, with the extremists being portrayed as weward sons or annoying neighbors, but ultimately part of the community who could be tamed and integrated. Clearly, the aim of such articles was to create a sense of normality and uncertain times among Tempo's audience. And to give them a model to follow. In other parts of the paper, however, the value of rationality had lost its allure. The lax morals of the rational girls of the nineteen twenties, Frau Christine argued in one of her columns had given men a twisted idea of sexuality and had ultimately lowered their respect for women. It's it's remarkable just how consistent that is too, Like we're dealing the same, Like JD. Vance is a big part of this, Like, well, women leaders have been a disaster, you know, women who won't have kids, who just want to like live for their own you know, pleasure and enjoyment are evil. They're degenerate psychopaths, right, Like it's it's all the same shit, you know. Yeah, yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: I've heard that. I've encountered that argument of surprisingly off and the well, Like why would they have wombs if they weren't supposed to only function in that context? If that's all they are support for a right, they were happier, it's more natural for them to just care for kids. Yeah yeah, And it's like, when's the last time you went into the woods and killed a fucking small road with your bare hands. Shut up. We do society now, we do what we want, like we make pizza and we have careers. Fu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we filter our water instead of regularly ourselves today.
Speaker 2: Aren't supposed to do. If you're just like your body does this, shut up.
Speaker 1: I'm an advocate of doing more of that stuff. Every time I get on like the Conspiracy Internet, I further reinforced my belief that, like, we should put lithium back in the water, right, Like, sure, it could really help.
Speaker 2: That might be our way out of mercury. Mercury in my hat, brim Man, why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's let's do it. So you know, Michael, we are all broadly familiar of what happened to German democracy after nineteen thirty three. Right, none of none of the none of this like buying stuff didn't work, This idea that like just vote for moderates didn't work. The Nazis took over right Ostein, and all publishers with Jewish owners were nationalized and arianized by the Nazi state. It is interesting to that the Nazis kept the name Ostein. They were pragmatic enough to see it as a good business decision, and uh, you know that is what we're covering today. We're going to on Thursday talk about the United States finally, but Michael, first, let's talk about you. Let's talk about Let's talk about the Small Beans network.
Speaker 2: Sure. Oh boy, Oh I get a double plug. I didn't know i'd get to spiel both episodes all right.
Speaker 1: In German they would call that a doppel plugin. I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 2: Who cares, He's just ends the episode. I'll try to be quick, but I really mean it this time. This is maybe the most important player in my life. So if you've liked me on Cracked, or even if you happen to have encountered any of my fiction before, I finally finished a novel that I've been working on since I was fourteen. It's an epic fantasy sci fi memoir. I'll just describe it as like Carlan Ellison meets Vonnegut meets Douglas Adams. Robert Brockway called it hilarious, heartbreaking shit like that. I think it's really really good. It has my whole heart and soul in it. And I just released the audiobook version so you can hear that on the Small Beans Free feed by just searching small Beans or the name of the novel, which is called The Climb, or if you're already sold, you can head to patreon dot com slash Smallbeans slash Shop where you can get the physical version or a PDF or the audiobook. Check it out.
Speaker 1: Michael, I gotta tell you, I deeply love the uh the image in my head of Vonnegut and Harlan Ellison and Douglas Adams meeting, because I imagine Vonnegut and Douglas Adams would have a great time and Harlan Ellison is just going to be the most.
Speaker 2: Miserable man still fucking hate each other.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a real Calvin COOLIDG Hubert Humphreys. Yeah, they might be like, sir, I respect your fiction, Please get the fuck out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do not want to talk to you to Hell. Good stuff anyway. Well that's going to do it for us at whatever podcast this is until next time, go to Hell. I love you.
Speaker 2: Do you want to plug on the audio version that we have YouTube now, Robert?
Speaker 1: No, of course not, Sophie. Why would I do that?
Speaker 2: Do you want to do your job now? Did you stop recording? No?
Speaker 1: Of course not, Sophie. You know, Sophie, I made a decision on my own to pivot to video recently. This is me telling you, actually, yeah, I decided unilaterally to do that, and I let you make a decision. Yeah. It was a horrible mistake, Sophie. I don't know why you listen to me about these things. I'm always wrong anyway. Everyone enjoy our new videos or not.
Speaker 2: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.