Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Hours at the Star in Friscoll.
Speaker 3: Straight Stown, dot TSI, TSI Touchdowns.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. As Week two is here. The Dallas Cowboys and the New York Jets on tap for Sunday afternoon, three twenty five. Kicking today, we preview the Dallas defensive matchup with John Machoda, Nick Harris, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back. Yeoman's gentlemen, how we doing today? Who that was good?
Speaker 4: Doing good?
Speaker 5: Bring the energy today?
Speaker 2: Bring oh always?
Speaker 4: Did you usually your Black Rifle coffee this morning?
Speaker 2: I did not. Haven't either, honestly sleep RTG.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 5: I had to rebound from sleep, from coming in off two hours on Monday.
Speaker 4: And then still recovering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, recovery yesterday, Like there was a there was.
Speaker 6: A part of me though when that media schedule came out, they're moving today's stuff today afternoon because they treat I guess the Sunday night game. Uh, Mike McCarthy wants to give them like extra time. I guess, I don't know, to rest or whatever. But like Wednesday stuff is way later. Normally we'll do the show, then we'll go McCarthy locker room practice, all that stuff. But now it's Mike McCarthy isn't going until like, I don't know, three thirty thirty. Yeah, So because of that, I was kind of thrown off and thinking, oh, I don't have to be out there three thirdy oh yeah, SHOWR you got a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Uh, we're happy here here, so that's good. But yeah, a little bit of a break for the guys, and I think, I mean, forty to nothing, you kind of deserve a little bit of a breather. And it's good to get back into the swing of things because these first three weeks. I've always said, and honestly I learned this from Caden Gates, one of our producers. H my first season in this position, it takes about three weeks for everyone to fill into a rhythm, to to kind of find their own footing, and whether it's from a content standpoint or a production standpoint, or of course a player standpoint, it takes a little bit of time to get back into a full season's worth of rhythm. And so I can only imagine the gentleman that travel here that that makes things tougher for sure, going back and forth. But Isaiah is still waking up. He's getting his black rifle coffee.
Speaker 4: It was my sleeping, Yeah, it wasn't. I didn't have to wake up till six.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right.
Speaker 5: I can probably count on my hand how many times I'm woken up at six this year. Wow, I'm not.
Speaker 6: And when you do, are you happy about that?
Speaker 5: Heck?
Speaker 4: No, no close.
Speaker 2: With us previewing the defensive side of the football, I have a fan quest if you want to tweet.
Speaker 4: It in the Fan Questions today. Okay, let me find.
Speaker 2: The text line and then I'll give you the fan question. But I'll send you guys a question first. Have the expectations changed on defense? Haveszick completely changed with the forty to nothing blanking that they did against the New York Giants on Sunday Night? Have the expectations changed at all? Are they are they increased or do they stay right around the same with what you anticipated.
Speaker 7: That'll be a negative ghostwriter. I believe that the expectations are still the same. I think that my question marks we're revolving around this defense are still in place in terms of where the question marks actually laid, and obviously that's going to be in a running game, and obviously that would be tested today extreme this week. I would assume as long as the Jets are not too far behind, Yeah.
Speaker 6: They haven't changed. For me, I thought that this had the potential being the best defense in the NFL, and they certainly played like that week one, So yeah, I agree with Isaiah the run game. The way the game started, I give them a little bit of a pass just because you have a bunch of starters that didn't play in the preseason and they were getting gashed early on for about six yards of carry get warmed up. Yeah, and so if that carried down throughout the game, I think it would have been a little bit more of a concern. But I was impressed without Jonathan Hankins played and I know says well in the middle. So the other interesting part is just to see how guys like Bell and Wayie times. Some of the safety is coming up playing lineback. How would they hold up against the run? And they did a good job Sunday night. But yeah, no, expectations have not changed for me.
Speaker 5: I'm the same. Expectations are still the same for me because when we came into the season, we expected them to be great and that's what they gave us in Week one. I don't think we're going to get the level of that greatness week in and week out. But it's something I've been kind of thinking about last couple of days. You know, what would be a disappointing effort, you know, game by game for this defense. And I think back to the Houston game last year. I think back to the Jacksonville game last year, or even Green Bay in the second half, and what were the the causes of all those effects? It was lack of death. And they had that depth now, whether that be the secondary, whether that be on the defensive line, second level, whatever, they have those pieces now. So fully my expectation is for them not to have a lapse like they had like last year on multiple ocasions. Like sure, over a seventeen game season, you're gonna have a bad day that will happen, But when it happens three four games in a row, then you know that that's when it gets a little worrisome to me. That's my expectation is that that does not happen on a week two week basis, and we haven't. We didn't see that week one, so we saw the I think we saw the greatest of what this product could look in week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does that? I feel like that's kind of the reasoning behind the question though. If that's the greatest, if that's the peak of what this product could look like, then is there that much of a gap to where the expectations do change a little bit moving forward? Or do you expect more? There's like an it's hard, it's hard to really push for more, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's like an echelon and like they were up here and they still could be here if they wanted to be. You know, like it's still like this gap of expectation that I have for them personally at least.
Speaker 2: Was there any weak spot on the defense? Was there anybody that or any position group that you looked at and you said, Okay, they did not play their best game. They did not go at least to that upper echelon that you're talking about.
Speaker 5: I guess we talked about DeMont Clark yesterday, and then that kind of had to do with on the first drive the running game kind of being able to pick up those five six yards of carry, And you know, I'd like to see that second level be a little bit more improved from from that from last week. But I would still give that grade pretty dang good.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I feel like the defense overall really executed. But Ffel was nitpicking then maybe the second level.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it would be nitpicking to say any of those groups this is the NFL. I understand it's forded to nothing, and people just think that. You can look back at the game and go ooh, I don't know about that play that one right there. I think Trayvon could have been like, what are we doing here? It's forded to nothing? Like sure do that every week? Start out, give up six yards a run on that first series and play the rest of the game like that, and you'll be remembered, like, you know, the eighty five Bears, the two thousand Ravens, whatever legion of Boom Seahawks, whatever you want to do there, they will be it won't be best defense of this season in the NFL, it'll be one of the like iconic great defenses. If you continue to play like that, it's a lot to ask for.
Speaker 4: We didn't talk about the nickname.
Speaker 7: We had the whole conversation last year involving around the nickname, and Micah just squashed everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, just Doomsday, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Legion of Doomsday. Yeah, yeah, that's what that's what ended up. I think last year our our winner was Legion of booms Day.
Speaker 6: For the nickname.
Speaker 4: I think Mike had just ended all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Legion of Doomsday. That's what its official. It's different Legion of doombyna argue with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll take it. I'll take it you.
Speaker 4: Micah shirt, it's going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As soon as he said it was like okay in to print, so okay. So then on the opposite side of that question, if if we don't want to nitpick, let's let's nitpick in a good way. Which which unit impressed you the most in that matchup and how can they continue that against the Jets in Week two? Was it the pass rush, the secondary corner safety, the unit.
Speaker 4: That impressed me? The most we're talking about just defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like giving a player of the game. It's hard to do. The smelly stickers were tough this week.
Speaker 4: I honestly seven. This is gonna sound really bad.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 4: I wasn't impressed. It was it was an expectation for me.
Speaker 5: Seven sacks.
Speaker 4: Yes, for any team that gets behind.
Speaker 2: Yes, we talked about the possibility of hitting seventy sacks or whatever.
Speaker 4: The I mean the number was. I know I probably sound dirt, but I.
Speaker 6: Said, but that's they're well on.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's honestly for me.
Speaker 7: That was the expectation for any for a team that is offensively built, is built offensively like the Giants are. Okay, that's predicated primarily on the run. If you get behind, you're unable to run. That's what I expect. That's what I expect. Honestly, that's truly what I expect. That's why I was.
Speaker 4: I was unamused. When I was watching the game, it was another one. Hope somebody else cool, Right, you watch.
Speaker 2: The Sounds of the Sideline this week?
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, you gotta watch it. It's really good.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun, Oh, said Diggy's who was on the sideline and he's he's pulling the oprah uh saying he's like, you get a sack, you get a sack he stole, he goes, he goes, look under your seat and everybody would receive a sack like it's just like a whole thing. Go check it out. And Alex slowly did a great job as always seven sacks times seventeen and nineteen.
Speaker 6: Did I just did that?
Speaker 10: Did you?
Speaker 4: I know? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, yeah, I would say for me, it's that hybrid linebacker safety group that included Bell, Juan Ye Thomas.
Speaker 10: I get it.
Speaker 6: They look good in training camp, they look good in the preseason. It's another for Week one to step in the way they did. I mean, there were some plays that Bell made that he looked like he'd been playing like he is a full time starting NFL linebacker. That that's I just impressed me. Like I expected him to get in and have a role. I didn't think he would make as many plays that he did, And now makes me look at their linebacker group a lot different than I did when they originally cut it down to fifty three. You know, you see overshow and go down you think and man, that's probably a weak spot right there, but a man, I think get that production for those guys going forward, they'll be fine at linebacker.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I would give it to the pass rush group just because of the dominance that they had from the very gig go and being able to just overwhelm the right side of that offensive line. I know we talked about it last couple of days, but that was just unreal.
Speaker 2: I liked your Nicked Night, by the way, the column that you just put on Dallas Cowboys dot Com kind of spoke to what John's talking about about that depth. It doesn't matter how the role players got here, but they're here now and you got to take advantage of them. Kind of go through your I guess inspiration to write that piece in the way that you did, because it did it outlined exactly how a game like that happens because you need it from all three phases. You need it from every guy on the roster. You need it from your depth, and I think the depth was just as impressive as some of the starting players and some of the superstars were in that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was more so thinking back to the offseason, whenever you know somebody made the fifty three cut, or somebody was traded for in Igbinoghani's case, or you know, an acquisition was made and it's you know, Twitter being Twitter and it's like, who's this guy? Why does this matter? You know, screw that through this and all those guys that would be quote unquote forgotten are not cared about when they're acquired. Those were the guys that set the tone on Sunday. It was you know, it was one year Thomas coming and blocking the field goal was no eggnogny running it down the sideline. You know, when Deron Bland was drafted, you know, probably people didn't give a give a damn about that, and then he's the one that gets to pick six. So it was a lot of those guys setting the tone. And you know it's basically like, you know, don't it shouldn't matter how they get here. They're here now and they're performing now.
Speaker 6: So the other things like what it was about, I think like about that is that I mean, just from my perspective of covering the Dallas Cowboys, there's probably too much focus on the stars like that is generally, you know, you're playing the hits when you when you cover this team, you're that and nationally that's what's being talked about all the time and stuff. So when you see some of these players that aren't talk about as much because even like undrafted guys fits around pick stuff like that. I'm even gonna include somebody like a Dante follower that you kind of sometimes forget, like how many times were you sitting there talking about like, oh, Dante followed this. Dante followed that during like training camp, and he kind of goes under the radar and then you just watch the way he plays in that game, you forget like, oh, yeah, you know, I mean that's a really high round pick or high pick and it just comes from some areas that you don't I mean, you're expecting Mike, you know, you're expecting you know, CD and tray Von Diggs and Dak and stuff like that. But to see some of the guys that you mentioned right there throwing a Cavante Turpin. Cavanti Turpin had three carries. He had three carries off last season. He had three receptions. I think he only had two last season. So the fact of like them getting hit him that involved. I don't think there's anybody that really expected that Week one from Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 2: So it was quick the way that they were able to get him involved. The fact that Turpin was utilized the way that he was. I mean, that's that's been an emphasis. That's been something that the coaching staff has talked about. But like you said, John, I don't think you expected it in week one like that.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 7: I like I mean, listen, coach McCarthy, I believe that he not only possesses the knowledge and the wisdom right from his past experiences, but I also believe that he learns from dan Quinn and I think they learned from each other, and I think that's a relationship that they have and to say that they don't would be ridiculous. Just because you're in the head coach of position doesn't mean that you can't pick up insight from others. And I think that one thing by being around dan Quinn that he's learned is put your players in a position to be successful, regardless of how high caliber they are or not. Right, So you talk about somebody like Turpin who his sole purpose and sole job this training camp was to earn the trust of the offense, earn the trust of those of coach McCarthy, a Schotenheimer earned their trust that they can trust you as an offensive threat. And he did that in training camp, not in the preseason. He did it in training camp. And because he did it in training camp, and they saw it every day through and through, saw his ability to take the plays, apply the plays, do the assignments, all those things. Now, you put yourself in a position to be utilized in a game like that outside of your position, simply because the fact that these coaches trust you, so it just adds another threat. The guys are not this roster this team on both all three phases, regardless of what your position title is, they are going to put you in position to be successful. And I think that's an awesome thing about this team.
Speaker 6: And the other thing about the turf and thing going tying that in. There's a lot of things that he did that you can sit there and go, well, they can do some of the stuff with duce Vaughn too. You know, they never really had to get to the duce Vawn part of anything because they did de late in the game, but obviously it was already over. But I'm talking about with like the ones mixing him in in certain situations teams as they're playing. And that stands out to me because of there's just been many times over the last couple of years where Mike McCarthy's talked about them being like a dome team, even though you know, they don't really play in a dome. It's technically indoor outdoor type stadium, but they're built like that. They play on turf, they're built to, you know, have a fast team that you could really take advantage of some of those those different things. And so to see that in that game, that was that was pretty interesting because I was not expecting that type of usage from from from Turpin, not in some meaningful roles right away. I thought maybe it would grow to that, but yeah, that was that was I didn't expect.
Speaker 2: That Interurpin wasn't the only one that shined during training camp and the preseason and got their shot in Week one. I mean, we've talked about it at nauseum about Janye Thomas. I think it's the best example of that. Marquise Bell is in there too, but you also look at some of the other guys, I mean, Layton Vandersh and Michael Parsons. We were talking about that that set where Parsons is rushing as as the nose tackle he's as a zero technique. Then you have Layton van Derresh coming off the edge. What happened A pressure happened in that uh in that play whenever they pulled it out, And that's probably not the only time you're going to see a look like that from dan Quinn. He's gonna mix it up a little bit.
Speaker 5: I charted it at least three times, and yeah, I still need to go back and give it a full, full end depth chart. But during the game, I gave it three times and I believe they were able to generate pressure on the backfield on two of those.
Speaker 2: So we talked about OSA. We talked about and even from an offensive standpoint. I know this is the defensive preview, but from an offensive standpoint, we also talked about the iron sharpens iron a lot when we were in Oxnard, about how facing this defense constantly is going to make you better. Talk about the offensive line in the way that they stood up against a really good defensive front from New York. And you have Chiuwa Madoga coming in, plugging in not necessarily lighting the world on fire, but also doing his job the right way. It's probably because he was facing Mike Hah Parsons and Osa Digizua and Jonathan Hankins and these guys that just flashed on Sunday Night football. He was able to do that in practice and face him in practice every single day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I know, that's why I stayed away from now because I know we're on defense today, but that was my vote for most impressive offensive line.
Speaker 4: Didn't expect that level of performance against them, okay, And.
Speaker 6: There are definitely times in practice in training camp where those practices would have looked exactly like the Giants game did for the Cowboys offense. Yeah, there's a thing where you can't hit Dak Prescott, you have to run by him, and so it allows him to do a scramble drill and things like that where the play just doesn't stopped. There were many times out there where you were like, if this was a game, I mean, they would three and out, three and out, three and out.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be one of my lasting impressions if this defense turns into what you were talking about earlier, where they're compared to the two thousand Ravens, they're compared to the eighty five Bears and the Steelers of the seventies, if they're compared as an all time great defense, one of my early lasting impressions is going to be Micah Parsons in the backfield, Osa Digizoo in the backfield, DeMarcus Lawrence in the backfield. Almost every snap in Ox started, and just to the point where it was like, all right, guys, we got to just take two steps and slow down, just because we got to practice something on offense. We got to get a clean pass off. That's got to get some kind of read. That's what it'll look like. But that's what it looked like again in week one. So hopefully that continues going up against the Jets. But when we come back here on Talking Cowboys, how much of a threat are the Wilsons, Garrett and Zach. How much of a threat do they pose to this Dallas defense? And how can the Cowboys continue to get after the quarterback and try and slow down on the mobile Zach Wilson.
Speaker 11: When we come back right after this on Talking Cowboys, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 2: But the good news is Todd has at and T five G.
Speaker 11: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com.
Speaker 6: To fuel up.
Speaker 2: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's our mascot, Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking App.
Speaker 2: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 3: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 2: It is only available in the English language. You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on sole like mobile devices. Message dat rais apply number FDIC.
Speaker 10: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 6: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 10: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier.
Speaker 2: To cry out?
Speaker 10: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 10: Just a reminder that I don't to be a real doctor to know that doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This segment is brought to you by Invisilne, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. All Right, our fan question today, Give us a text eight one seven two nine zero three two nine to eight. Which unit has the biggest step up against the Jets in week two versus what you saw in week one? Not necessarily who had the best game in week one or who's going to have the best game in week two, but who sees the biggest improvement. Will debate that in the third segment. But send us a text.
Speaker 5: One of defense.
Speaker 2: Uh no, it's both sides of the ball. Yeah, both sides of the ball. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine to eight. I put it on Twitter as well. You can respond there if you don't want to text in. All right, Jets offensive preview No, Aaron Rodgers. Of course, we're not gonna really harp on that too much. He played four snaps for the Jets, goes down with an achilles' injuries, out for the season and a significant amount of time. Hope the best for his recovery and the Jets are in a bind. I mean, it's kind of where it is. You expected Zach Wilson as a top two pick to come in and at least show something now learning under Aaron Rodgers. One game down and it looked like the old Zach Wilson and the reason why they went and got Aaron Rodgers instead. But Nick, when you look at this Jets offense, where are they still dangerous? Where can they still hurt?
Speaker 5: The Cowboys run game Breese Hall and Dalvin Cook, that's gonna be They probably get thirty carries total between the two of them. I believe they had twenty eight of rushes on Monday night, so and that was changing the game plan up on off a whim. So I think they're gonna get a lot of run on Sunday, especially wanting to test this Cowboys rush defense. I see how improved it is from a year ago. You could expect a lot of Bristol on, a lot of Tought and Cook, and probably a little bit of Michael Carter thrown in there too.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, Garrett Wilson's obviously scary, but I don't see how they would be building the game plan around throwing to Garrett Wilson over utilizing that run game, averaging six yards of carry, the most of any team in that first week. You have a quarterback that is not great, and he's going to be making, you know, his first road start of the season against a defensive line that I'm sure he's probably a little nervous about after watching or whenever he does watch the film of the Giants game. I mean, if you don't watch football and you just look at stats, you'd look at and be like, well, his numbers aren't bad, they're pretty simp Zach Wilson's numbers are pretty smilar what Daks were week one. But if you watch the game, you're not thinking that he's going to be the one that they're gonna be building anything around. It's going to be a we're going to try and establish the run. We're gonna hope that that has the type of success that it had Monday night, and then off of that, maybe we can get some guys open and things like that. Just the fact of that defensive front and the defensive backs that they can throw at Garrett Wilson, I would be very surprised if he had a big game the.
Speaker 2: So Garrett Wilson in that game against the against the Buffalo Bills on which, don't.
Speaker 6: Get me wrong, nothing against him. I mean, no, he's fantastic potential.
Speaker 2: But then you're you're facing guys that aren't Trayvon Diggs and Steffan Gilmour defensively, I mean, you look at his numbers receiving wise, five catches, thirty four yards. Alan Lazard was the most effective player as a wide receiver. I think he's I still think he's an underrated player. But also he had the connection with Aaron Rodgers, right, yeah, he still had forty six yards with Zach Wilson, but they still.
Speaker 6: At the team and you look at those receivers, there's just a party. We're like, yeah, this could be real good with Aaron Rodgers. Sure, but that's with Aaron Rodgers. This is a significant step down. And so because of that, you know, it doesn't make it look nearly as daunting like with Aaron Rodgers. Yeah, Garrett Wilson might get fifteen to twentydown catches, you know, if Aaron Rodgers was to stay healthy for a full season.
Speaker 4: But why he apologized to him the interview. He said, sorry, Cude, Yeah, that was he knew that's tough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but Garret Wilson was already there. He's a dude, so he was already there. No, no, no, no, I'm but I was just gonna say, but so, yeah, you can say sorry to him, But like, what about all the guys that joined. That's just because Rodgers is here, that's the only one that That's the one I thought, because I saw that thing too about him saying he was sorry to be there. He was probably pumped when he saw that Rogers.
Speaker 2: But that was a chance for him to to really take a step up. Where where can Zach Wilson still beat you?
Speaker 4: Though? I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's an NFL game. I mean we got to give him some flowers.
Speaker 6: You watch you watch the draft stuff. What did you think about him coming out of b YU, Like did you wasn't super high? Okay. The reason I'm asking you this is because there were a lot of people pre draft that were like this clear early, clearly one of the you know, a top two three pick in the draft, and I was.
Speaker 4: Never you weren't on that bandwagon.
Speaker 6: Well, I gotta admit, I got admit my biases. So if I'm an NFL GM, I'm probably never going to end up with Josh Allen, for example, Carson Wentz because I am a I lean towards the big schools, like the Power five type quarterbacks that I can see what they've done against the other top echelon of talent.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't have picked the quarterback out of Jackson State.
Speaker 6: Uh, probably not.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 6: But now when that quarterback shows you, when a different Jackson State quarterback shows you what they can do at Colorado, then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, the same dude, It is the same dude.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying that's just the way I'm not saying i'd be a good GM with you.
Speaker 5: Context is very important, and I'm with you there.
Speaker 2: So here's what I had in the twenty twenty one draft. I had all my nuggas' bags are on Nike. Yeah, okay, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 2: I had Zach Wilson as the twelfth overall player. He was the third quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.
Speaker 4: I had Lawrence number one.
Speaker 2: I had Justin Fields as the number three overall player in the draft, and then it was Wilson twelve Trey Lance fourteen. So that was where I had them all ranked. I had four first round grades on quarterbacks. Wilson was a first round grade, but he was like a low end first round grade, and I kind of I gave him a little bit of a little bit of a bump in terms of overall grade. Here's my scouting report. Special arm talent with the ability to improvise when in trouble by his times with his legs, and is able to make NFL caliber throws to anywhere on the field. The con though only allowed a year of high level production due to injury history in the past head and shoulder, was able to get away with some things against group of five competition that he would have no chance to get away with against NFL talent. The one year wonder of the twenty twenty one draft class, Wilson's twenty one season was one for the books. Thirty two touchdowns, three interceptions, all career numbers, and in fantastic fashion in a group of five only schedule. However, his first year in the league will be a tough adjustment, but he has the intangibles at an NFL quarterback needs and I compared him to Baker Mayfield. So and I wasn't super high on Baker Mayfield either. If I'm being real, I didn't have the detailed charts and the scouting reports at that point in time that I.
Speaker 6: Didn't mean, Oh, I don't think that you're alone on that one. I think that's one of the best things that Baker has going for him is that he uses that chip on his shoulder because there's so many people that are like, this is the guy that went one, like they went one and here then again.
Speaker 2: I don't know, mind, you look good in Tampa.
Speaker 6: When I talk about liking quarterbacks, like what they do at the power five level, Like one of my favorites is Tua. Now he has the injury, so you have to factor that, but just what he did at Alabama, like big moments like that, to me is that that translating what he did there to the NFL is just a lot easier for me to do so. And again, I'm not a helot evaluator, and I wouldn't. I'm not saying i'd be a good one. But with Trevor Lawrence, Tua.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, both of those. The thing with with these teams.
Speaker 6: Ideah, I'm talking about if I have a top fight, I'm not talking about finding diamonds in the rough here. Okay, I'm talking about I got to talk over here because here's here's the thing real quick, and it kind of goes back to the Trey Lance thing. Okay, I get with the forty nine ers, you know you can. And my actually guess it goes with the Eagles too. There's just so much on you when you're on the GM and they're like, Okay, we need a quarterback. We're gonna use a high pick. Better get this thing right. And so that's why I'm saying I would lean in that direction because I'm feeling if this doesn't hit, it could be my job. But I guess the opposite side is is it it isn't the job because it's not like it effectored in. It didn't hurt John Lynch, it didn't hurt Howie Roseman. They're looked at as like two of the best. So but for me personally, that's always part of it where I'm like, if I swing and miss on this, am I am? I done? It's my only chance I ever got a chance to run a team.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so question, Yeah, they don't have another quarterback on the roster, do they.
Speaker 5: I mean, they do think it's a Brett Rippion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not anybody significant though. Why why do you ask?
Speaker 7: Because I have a feeling that he's gonna be running for his life in this game, and they might want to have somebody on standby.
Speaker 2: Is it that offensive line that worries you?
Speaker 7: No, it's just I don't force I'm I know for a fact, there's gonna be a huge point of emphasis place on stopping the run.
Speaker 4: We all know that load the box, do Una loaded up?
Speaker 7: Because you're not threatened by Wilson beating you over the top, especially when you have Trayvon Diggsi Stepan Killo. I'm not thritting. I can come up and press you because I still got some dogs even behind them. So I'm gonna make it hard on you to throw the ball over the top, and I'm allowing my boys to get home and I'm gonna stop the run. So being that, there's gonna be a point emphasis place on stopping the run, I for see. Okay, yeah, I foresee the Jets be in a situation where they have to throw themselves back into the game. Okay, whether that be down my ten, whether that be down my said, whatever that might be here forty.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 6: Can we pretend that you're Robert Sala right now, and what would you be trying to do right now if you if if they literally were like, hey, Roberts, this week, we need.
Speaker 4: You to wishbone.
Speaker 5: Here's Robert.
Speaker 7: I want ie formation wishbone thirteen personnel like Brian.
Speaker 2: Dabele brought out the wishbones.
Speaker 4: He sure did, We sure did, thirteen person year.
Speaker 7: I am coming downhill, downhill, and I am trying to run all the clock off all of it. Yeah, okay, I want I want nine minute drives. Okay, even if we in the field goals, I.
Speaker 6: Wanta drives sustainable against his defense though they're going.
Speaker 4: To find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't find out.
Speaker 7: I mean seriously, I mean if you can find yourself in in short down and distance, third and threes, I mean anybody can convert those. Yeah, I don't care how much of a threat you feel, you know, your defense might be. Most teams in the NFL can convert third and three. They have enough weapons to do that. I don't care if that's Wilson being in a shotgun and being able to get out the pocket, step in and out, or whatever, catching us in the stunts that Dallas likes to run. You can convert some some short down in distance which will allow you to move the change, which allows for you to get back into your run, all those things. But Dallas is going to have to take them out of that often in early That's easier said than done. Even with their office line question marks. They got two dogs at running back, and we know that those are two starters on any team.
Speaker 2: The backup quarterback, by the way, for Zach Wilson is Tim Boyle, the Eastern Kentucky product, and he was on the practice squad last week, so they'll elevate him.
Speaker 4: He'll be elevated.
Speaker 6: He'll make a movie tomorrow. They'll probably get picky whether they say most likely, they'll probably sign a free agent.
Speaker 2: Who do you think they'd go and try and look at?
Speaker 5: Matt Ryan?
Speaker 4: Would be fun.
Speaker 6: I know people keep saying that Carson Wentz is out there Kobe on a roster, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Think I think Wentz probably is. Maybe, I guess, I don't know. I don't want to say that. I don't like the options there. I'm trying to make a trade for James Winston.
Speaker 2: Hmm, Yeah, that would be interesting. That would now, that would be fun. Now would he start against Dallas in week two? No? Definitely not no. But if you're gonna make a move, it's it's gonna be something that happens down the road. All right, Again, we're gonna answer your text messages when we come back here. On Talking Cowboys, which unit both sides of the football has the biggest step up against the Jets in Week two? Eight one, seven, two nine zero three two nine eight Shoot us a text message. We'll talk about it next.
Speaker 12: On Talking Cowboys, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United aggen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Dagon Turf, the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list? Forever Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Riflecoffee dot com to join the Coffee Club today.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah. Savannah Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys brought to you by Quaker Odes Super Trusted superfood. Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back Ken alongside Isaiah Standback, John Machoda, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's am shuring your text messages eight one to seven two nine zero three two nine eight. Time to debate which unit has the best step up against the Jets this week. Not necessarily the best, not who's going to be the best, but who is the best improvement from Week one to Week two Isaiah looks like he wants the.
Speaker 4: Tight end group. Boo boom, He's don Michael Michaels, that's what That's what really.
Speaker 2: The majority of the text messages have said so far. Mario in South Texas said it a second ago. Biggest improvement will be the tight ends. They had limited opportunities because of the flow of the game, but I believe they will be a bigger part in the play Action again, play action game this Sunday. Collectively that we're going to combine for over one hundred yards and at least one touchdown. Get after Mario, I like it.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: He had the hender shot. I mean that ball that was a touchdown.
Speaker 2: If he makes that grab, Dak Prescott's stat line looks exponentially better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tight ends is probably number one. I would say production from wide receivers. But at the same time, like going against this Jets defense, I don't know how much you're gonna see there. I just I'm gonna I'm gonna go with Brandon Aubrey doesn't miss a kick, so that'll be a step up from the first game. I just think I think that was good for him to get that out of the way. Yeah, I don't think that. He just hasn't had a ton of, you know, opportunities because of preseason there weren't as many field goal opportunities as I was thinking he was gonna get and things like that. So I think he I think he has a flawless game in this one, and he wasn't that far off. I mean outside of that miss extra point. I mean I thought he played well. No, he did play well, especially when you, I mean literally are watching a game where you're like this, they paid money, like decent money for this kicker, and this team really didn't invest anything in there, and this kicker definitely outplayed that kicker.
Speaker 4: So double J approved. He said, we got ourselves a kicker.
Speaker 6: I will.
Speaker 2: When he missed the pat, we all collectively in the studio we're like, oh yeah, uh oh, here we go.
Speaker 6: I'm sure Jerry was doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's one of their last eight pats that they had converted going back to the Washington game last year at that point, and then he ruttled off four straight.
Speaker 7: So I have helped I have a visual that like will play as soon as that happened, soon as that shank happened, will McLay grabbed his phone and Jerry say, hold on now, will give him a chance.
Speaker 2: Let him cook.
Speaker 7: If you would have missed one more, pushed the button, pushed the dog on button, called him up.
Speaker 2: That's funny, you say that's old. That is funny.
Speaker 6: You say that because I actually think it's a complete one eighty.
Speaker 4: You think it's opposite.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's Jerry, go get somebody else ready and we'll be like that, just hold on, let's just give him, let's just play this thing out. I just don't I've never gotten the sense that Jerry has much patience for.
Speaker 2: For kickers, especially with p a ts. Yeah, especially with p.
Speaker 6: It's just one of those spots that I think it bothers him.
Speaker 5: You know who Jerry's really attributed it to. It's it's Stephen. He's like, oh, this kicker, I think said after the Tuesday He's like, you know, Steven found him a guy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: So that's kind of fun that he was able to put that together.
Speaker 4: Trying to put the blame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right down the road. Yeah, that's interesting. What do you think which which units is the biggest improvement?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I was gonna say tight end group for sure, but I'll just say pass catching as a whole statistically wasn't the you know, most impressive group from from Sunday night, but they didn't have to be. They still were able to get open and make plays when they needed it. You know, Ceedee Lamb on the very first offensive drive being able to haul in that forty nine yard reception and you know, go down the sideline in big parts. Jake Ferguson as well on that play. But I'm just gonna say the passing group as a whole, I think they get a you know, one hundred yard receiver. I think Brandon Cooks gets a lot more involved. You know, you saw him getting involved on third down on some quick slants and stuff, and I really loved to see that because they didn't really have that safety net last year. I think that's going to help their third downplay a whole lot, just because he's able to create separations so quick off the line. So those third and three, third and fours are going to be a lot more you know, manageable with Zeke not in the backfield, or if you don't want to run Tony Pollard in those situations, you've got Brandon Cooks that can come out and do those things. So I'm just gonna say past pass catching is I think you know everybody steps up and sees an extra extra step.
Speaker 6: One thing on the Cooks on the deep ball where he drew the pass interference. Watching that over on the L twenty two, another one of those one I tell you about, Like you know how it just sucks that on the TV copy you can't see out all of that. But where we are with the press box, I didn't notice it either when it happened, But on the L twenty two, it's just amazing how much attention Ceedee Lamb draws. Yeah, I mean the fact that you would have he would come across and he would have the corner that's on him. Both safeties got their eyes on him. I think it was a third and twelve and you're putting a six round rookie corner. I'm Brandon Cook singled up on the outside like that. Man, that's just there's just rough. It's hard to believe that that's what they wanted in that situation. That is the Giants one.
Speaker 5: Since you brought up that play, there was a pass protection kind of wrinkle on that play that is going to set up that exact play being able to work out for Jake Ferguson down the line. I'm talking like a fifteen twenty yard game for Jake Ferguson. He just needs a little bit more time in the pocket. But if you go back and you watch that play, Tyler Battish from the snap, he covers his guy boom and then he peels off immediately and he goes and picks up Jake Ferguson's guy off the edge, and Jake kind of chips his guy off the edge and comes out and he's wide open in the flat. But Dak's already like, yeah, getting it cooked up to Brandon, but he has a little bit Yeah you like that. But if he has a little bit more time in the pocket there he's checking down to Ferguson, that's a fifteen twenty yard game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought that was fun that entire play. There's a lot of fun things going on there.
Speaker 2: The a couple of the text messages along the line five seven five says, I hope to see improvement in the run defense over what we saw in the first drive. I think it continuously got better as the game went along, but also they went away from the rocket.
Speaker 6: I got one, I got one take on this. Yeah, So it's not you know, nineteen seventy five where you're working on this stuff in practice. So just think of that run defense not playing the preseason. What's the last time a lot of those guys made tackles? Like mad tackles. I'm not talking about little drills on the side tackling dummies. I'm talking actually football tackles. When's last time before that game?
Speaker 2: Uh San Francisco? Yeah, yeah, January sixteenth or whatever that was twenty second.
Speaker 6: There's just little things that happen in games where I'm always just like, when's the last time that they even worked on that? There were just there were certain plays where I remember when Cooper Rush stepped in as the starting quarterback and just just getting rocked and like hanging on the ball, and like I remember asking them after the game, like, how would you even practice that? Because you're not even getting no one snaps, no one's hitting you. You know, like it just it has to happen, you know. I think of the Aaron Rodgers play when Jeff Heath just smokes him from behind in that playoff game in twenty sixteen. Should have knocked the ball loose and somehow he hangs on to it. It's like there's no practicing that. And so with the defense, where are they working on that? The thudding up that they're doing in training camp. I mean that helps, but for it to just all of a sudden boom week one, going against a team and you're just gonna be flawless right from the first snap when you haven't really been tackling anybody to the ground and playing together as a run defense. In the San Francisco game, I mean, I think that they deserve a little bit of a pass for the way that game started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you do you think about this one's this is from the eight one to three. It says Dak Prescott. Do you think Dak needs to see an uptick? I mean the stat line wasn't pretty, but there were multiple opportunities, and we've talked about it already. There were four drops in the game, and if those four drops are converted into actual catches, it's what is that seventeen of twenty four passing for two hundred plus yards and at least one touchdown the Peyton Henders shot, I mean, it's a different stat line. How did you as a quarterback. When you looked at Dak's play in Week one, how did you feel like it looked?
Speaker 7: He looked fine for the most part. I mean, there wasn't too much to dissect. There was a couple throws in there that I know he would have liked to had better location of. But for the most part, he threw some dog on good bass I did. He threw some really good balls. The guys just gotta catch it. I mean, conditions were conditions. You know, guys had wrong equipment on all that jazz end of the day. You know, you gotta find a way to make those plays. But they're running back this week.
Speaker 5: I believe it was the first touchdown drive, and I thought of you when it happened because we talked about ball location so much.
Speaker 4: Daring Truss, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: It was the It was a gallop slant and he would have had a twenty yard game, but he put it on his back shoulder. He kind of had to fall into it. It was still a first down like it was. It was a completion four first down, but that we've talked about that a lot. Being able to put it where he can take it and go that it was not executed then, but then he came back for three or four plays later on that CD just threaded the needle and got it right to CD where he needed it. That was the best stow we had all night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting. Some of the better throws that Dak had ended up being in completions. Some of the best throws are the worst throws that he had all night ended up being completion It was it was kind of backwards that Peyton Hendershot throw was about as good as he could kid. I mean, he put it on his helmet in the middle of three defenders on the goal line, put it up there, and Hindershot saw it the whole way elevated, was there to make the play and then just couldn't hold on And that one, that one was rough. That was a phenomenal throw. But I thought one thing that he did say, or that one of these text messes said, Bob or excuse me four. It's from the four to three four He said, Dak got the ball out quicker, and that was significant. I mean you could see that from the opening drive he was able to get it going and get it out quicker.
Speaker 5: That's the West Coast offense The offense is gonna be all season, so get used to that.
Speaker 4: I liked it, YEP, I liked it.
Speaker 2: We'll preview the offense tomorrow because that's probably the more intriguing matchup now that Aaron Rodgers is no longer in the fold. It's that Cowboys offense against a very very good Jets defense. And we'll hit the film tonight. We'll continue to get it ready for it in the morning, and we'll get started at nine am Central Time. We've got Cowboys storyline coming up here in a couple moments with Nick Eatman. Get your calls ready at eight eight, eight, eight, five five two two nine seven in your text at eight one seven two nine zero three two nine A. That's one way to end the show for Isaiah standbatt for John Matchoda, Nick Harris, I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys, will see you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Y