Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of look Back at It, the podcast where we put or a moment and we unpacking and the funniest way possible. I am on the post, Sam Jay, and today's guest is a I guess we gotta say improviser now improvisor comedian after former live podcaster of the Amazing podcast is my favorite lyrics just all around cool, laid back dude.
Speaker 2: Devin Walker. All right, what's going on? Hey? Nice to nice to be here.
Speaker 3: Here everyone program, He's finally here.
Speaker 1: Look at look at Look at.
Speaker 2: That, Devin.
Speaker 4: We're a very honest pod. We don't lie to our guests.
Speaker 1: You picked twenty eleven and we got a bunch of search on twenty fifteen the year. But we're still gonna dive in. And what we usually do. I guess when we we first start digging into the year that they chose, it's kind of asked who they are in this year?
Speaker 2: Who are you in two thousand and how old are you?
Speaker 1: Where are you? What?
Speaker 4: What is Devin Walker like? Twenty eleven?
Speaker 2: Devin Walkery eleven, I'm twenty.
Speaker 1: Years old, okay, finished years old.
Speaker 5: I'm in college. What else am I up to? I'm like I'm taking risks. I'm taking risks stylistically, you know what I'm saying. This was like, you know, I feel like I picked twenty eleven a lot because because of the music that was happening during that time and Frank Ocean, it just came out.
Speaker 2: Where are you in school?
Speaker 4: Where are you going to school?
Speaker 5: You're in Austin, in Texas. Not in Austin. I'm in a town called San Markets, Texas.
Speaker 2: San Markets, Texas, which is like, it's like a town.
Speaker 4: What's what's the name of the school?
Speaker 2: Texas State University.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's a like like is it one of those schools where kids go to when they don't really want to go to school, but you gotta to go to.
Speaker 5: Schoo Basically, it's like if you couldn't get into like the like the University of Texas or like an m but you still wanted to go to college, this was like one of those top schools.
Speaker 2: After that, I'm student respect, Okay, it's okay. School. We all went to schools in the.
Speaker 1: Similar school very similar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, maybe to school below.
Speaker 2: No, it's okay.
Speaker 5: I Also I know I didn't I didn't put the effort force to go to a better school than I.
Speaker 3: Mean, look what we all are.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: I also feel like we all have this in common where it's like if we really put pedal to the medal and decided like I'm gonna get these straight a's, we all could have did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just wasn't It wasn't a priority. I got.
Speaker 4: I got into Clark, but I didn't really want to say school.
Speaker 1: They let me.
Speaker 6: They let me do a tour of Clark and more House and they were like, Nah, you're not going down here.
Speaker 2: You gonna be it's gonna be too much.
Speaker 5: She was about to be acting up Alex Alex in Atlanta at like eighteen, come.
Speaker 3: On whatever, whatever when I would have dropped out.
Speaker 2: Whatever whatever the gay guy equivalent and getting praid whatever it is, that's not good.
Speaker 3: What is it? What is it just like a child something you can't get rid of.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I don't think that's the same.
Speaker 1: Yo. That was why that was crazy, and we're leaving it in.
Speaker 6: Keeping it and leaving it in is the result of I ended up with that ship exactly.
Speaker 1: So, actually, that's not how that works.
Speaker 2: You had a school system failed them, so you're twenty.
Speaker 1: You're at Texas State University. You're you're experimenting with your look. Yes true and what you still do that now though that hasn't left you. That's true.
Speaker 2: I feel like college is when it really started.
Speaker 1: What were you wearing?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: I had a I had an afro. I had a big afro. I started reading. I started reading. It was my first time being around, like being immersed in white people in that type of way. Like where I grew up was like it was like very diverse. It was like a very I grew up right outside Austin.
Speaker 4: In a black part.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a mixed park. I grew up in a mixed park.
Speaker 5: I grew up like the high school that I went to was literally like split It was like thirty percent white and thirty percent Mexican.
Speaker 2: And thirty percent Okay.
Speaker 1: It was like split up.
Speaker 2: It was like very like in my neighborhood.
Speaker 5: It was literally like me and like a Nigerian family, like a Mexican family, like a Korean family and like an Indian kid.
Speaker 4: Like got you experience is like you're with the whites.
Speaker 2: I was really deep in it with the white so you had.
Speaker 1: To get extra black, you know what, I'm to Surban High School and I got real black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you turn it up in a different type of way.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like I almost was in a white boy frat for a second.
Speaker 4: I can see that. I think you would have been happier.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think I white. That's what I was like, this this ain't for me. I like thought, because like I, I transferred to the school in my sophomore year and I didn't know that many people. And so I was like, all right, I had a white boy roommate who's a white boy frat. And I was like, all right, like he's doing that, Like maybe I'll move over and and do that for a second. And I tried it, and I was like, and that made you get it?
Speaker 2: And I and then I and then I said, you.
Speaker 1: Know, are you reading?
Speaker 2: Like are you reading? I'm reading literature?
Speaker 1: What are you reading?
Speaker 3: That's like that, That's the way.
Speaker 2: I read it. I went over there.
Speaker 5: I got deep in the whiteness, and I said, I need the course correct.
Speaker 3: I gotta get I started reading Soul.
Speaker 5: All the way over there. Michael Eric Dyson are you harper Books?
Speaker 4: Are you mad?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Or you just are you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you reading it and going like the thirty crackers, are you just like I got info?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I was like I need to I was like I need to read up on this because obviously they don't teach you that.
Speaker 2: Like school.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up with African American studies and your Mike.
Speaker 6: That's so wild to me because it was a requirement in Detroit public schools that you had Africa, you had Social studies.
Speaker 3: And then you had African American.
Speaker 4: Detroit is like like black Haven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's just a lot of me when like I meet people like new friends, like later on the lafe and I'm like, oh, y'all not here, like y'all didn't have or it was like an elective class you could choose choose like history like no. I literally from like third grade up until like eighth it was like, go learn about niggas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why the Troit got the most niggerous.
Speaker 2: That's why Troit got got a super intended. They can't read.
Speaker 1: You don't even I don't got to bring up.
Speaker 4: Ocean with an afro.
Speaker 5: I gotta I had an afro and I had like a I had an afro with like a part in it.
Speaker 2: I had like an afro with.
Speaker 6: A party where you wearing the Frank Ocean yellow bandana. Also with this afro.
Speaker 2: It was it was red and white. But I did have I didn't have what's the outfit with the bandana?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, what's the outfit that's going with this outrow?
Speaker 2: Like what's the rest? I mean at that time, I was probably wearing. I probably had.
Speaker 5: Skinny jeans on and like I probably had skinny jeans and sperries and.
Speaker 2: Like a throwback like hoodie or something. Okay, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I was. I was trying a lot of I was trying to mix and match. I was trying to be I was trying to be collected.
Speaker 2: Are you fucking uh? Yeah? Yeah yeah, white girls sometimes, but you're mixing it up. I'm mixing it up. Black girls are getting in there, yeah of course. Okay.
Speaker 1: You always say it like it's a given, but it's not. It's not given with you.
Speaker 2: What the funk? Don't talk to me like that. Sure, but you had to grow in Sure, I would say, you know what I was saying.
Speaker 5: I would say I would say my ward one first of all, predominantly white institution. You know what I'm saying, so it is like it's it's it's a lot of it's a lot of white women around for sure, but it's like, but it was never exclusively that it was No, I was never I was never one of them type.
Speaker 1: I'm not thinking it's exclusive. I'm thinking you're taking what's coming. Sure, you're catching vibes. When you're catching vibes.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying is my my levels didn't need to even out. You know what I'm saying, based on like.
Speaker 4: Asian happening, I think you're getting mixing.
Speaker 2: It's not really that many Asians.
Speaker 1: But but I don't think it's just getting like black girly until I think it was a switch in here.
Speaker 5: It definitely it turned up the older I got. I definitely I had directly.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, you had to get your you got to get a little level set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think two year old Devin had that level set yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, you were getting ready to join a white turn.
Speaker 1: I think it's white city.
Speaker 4: I think I think you're running through white boom.
Speaker 6: Running through is what that's. I think that's a little bit different than what he was trying to say. But what would you deny running through?
Speaker 5: It was it was around, it was pressure, it was president, and there was definitely around.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I I don't know if I was running through.
Speaker 6: I wasn't there yet when we don't have research, This is wonderful.
Speaker 2: This is not what I thought this podcast. I thought we were supposed to talk about specific years.
Speaker 7: We will, we will, Yeah, you are first, just like I think, I think, I think a white people period of fucking.
Speaker 5: It's just like that can just be part of life sometimes, you know what I'm saying. I had, I had a part of life like that. My friend Alex is maybe a period.
Speaker 1: Of in college for me, I was not.
Speaker 5: I think, actually, actually, I think me and Alex did the opposite of verse.
Speaker 2: I think me actually in verse.
Speaker 5: I think younger mean early twenties, a lot of white girls and then that decreased. I think Alex, Alex a lot of niggas early and then white boys.
Speaker 6: Later, an exhaustive number of niggas early and you know, let's try and not just white, not just white. I went on and diversified my profile, I will say, especially when I got to New York, because I was like, the world is just so much bigger than I would have ever imagined.
Speaker 1: And so yeah I experimented, Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't have a problem with saying that at all. It might have been a reverse. That's a good thing. You should start black, you start black as hell, and then you move into the world to diversify yourself.
Speaker 2: You sound like O. J. Simpson.
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm not black, I'm Alex. You shut it down, cut the mic off.
Speaker 1: I get that was good.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it was bad. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't support that, and I don't want you to say stuff like that no more.
Speaker 1: I feel like the white boys came as Alex was transitioning into a top too. Oh sure, I think that was a part of it, too. Sure, I think it was a part of his black dominance.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm about to show whose boss?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, something about something about don't say whatever about allow don't say something about allowing a.
Speaker 3: White man to like interview the skills.
Speaker 1: I'm too educated today.
Speaker 2: And see now you're and you know what, I'm not going to address this.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to I'm not wearing a.
Speaker 2: Public forum and I'm not gonna say I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: I'm a little educated to white vagina.
Speaker 5: Really, that's how I feel. I know too much, and I believe what you. You cap it on the mic and.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, what you know? Say what you want to say? No, no, no, no, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's do it, Alex.
Speaker 2: I never got talked by a white man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you out here lying like I don't know you.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. And you say and you say it on stage too, he says it on stage and you don't do it. And I'm like, I know that.
Speaker 1: I don't do it. Really, I don't do it. I've done it, but I don't do it. It's a difference.
Speaker 3: Does that mean a big difference between That's a big difference.
Speaker 6: In those words, doing it and having done it are two different things. I don't participate in that activity regularly. Parts through what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: It checks out, it checks out. I don't engage really check.
Speaker 2: I don't do it. I've done it.
Speaker 3: Before, but I do participate in it actively. Can we get some research regularly? I think Samma bin Latin was murdered.
Speaker 1: I think we need some information.
Speaker 3: He was murdered in twenty eleven. I said murder. He was murdered.
Speaker 6: You brought up Frank Ocean, so like, yeah, I've discussed this man with you on your podcast before. Well now you're just this is your this is your floor to discuss your relationship. What's your relationship with Frank Ocean? What's that? What's that music? Because you said this is this is twenty eleven was tied into your music. Tases's brought up Frank. What is Frank doing for you that no one else is doing in music?
Speaker 5: Honestly, all of all of our future just had started to shop that year. This was right when that started.
Speaker 1: That's perfect for you. I feel like there's a generation of black youth. It was like y'all needed that. Of course that a little bit like jee see because if type like because like.
Speaker 4: At twenty eleven, I'm twenty nine.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, I'm like a I'm a nerd kid, like I was at the beginning of like niggas being weird.
Speaker 4: I always say this, Like I was into anime very young.
Speaker 1: I was way into nerd. I was listening to like alternative music, you know what I mean. We were like it was a little generation of us that were like niggas would be like, what's going on over there with y'all.
Speaker 4: Well, I was dying my hair with like kool aid.
Speaker 1: I was like fucking around and hot topic.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. And I had had a wallet chain.
Speaker 1: I had a wallet chain.
Speaker 4: And I had a boyfriend who like wore jingos and had a wallet chain.
Speaker 2: Crazy for me to hear.
Speaker 1: He had a little eyebrow ring and he was a little weird boy, you know. He used to die his heir blonde. What And when Tyler came out, I remember like that first joint. I'm a fucking dross sratops that ship. Yes, I remember calling my ex boyfriend and being like, what do you think about this? He's like, it's so fucking cool. I wish I had this, And I was like, yeah, we didn't have a lot of spaces to find our black identity within the.
Speaker 4: Ship that we were into.
Speaker 1: It was like nerve.
Speaker 4: That's why that's why Pharrell became like everything to us, because.
Speaker 3: It was like, whoa, this is.
Speaker 1: God the only thing that's letting us fuck around. And so when I saw like y'all coming up and just getting to be like weirdos but still black, Yeah, it was like it was I saying it was so dope. It was like, oh, this is such a cool thing that y'all get to exist in this space because we were having to like look outside of our identity to get that.
Speaker 6: That it scratched what you know, but to that to that effect though, now you see what happened with Tyler last year when he paid his respects to di'angelo and all these cookie, crazy, weirdo white boys didn't know how to act with that. How do what what is your take on that whole thing, because now, like the fan base that he has, you know, accumulated like these these motherfuckers don't have the same like even though we were able to be weird and black and you know, alternative in a way that Tyler was.
Speaker 3: Do you think he saw the writing on the wall? I mean he was also like.
Speaker 6: What seventeen, He wasn't even like all this, He wasn't even developing in his brain enough like to know what he was creating and how his relationship with black culture would not really fully be seen through what he was making so or seen by black people as a connection to what he was making, or like even the white people that were enjoying so what do you make of like that whole thing that happened last year.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that's kind of bound to happen. I mean I think, like I don't know, in most in most forms of like art, like if white people don't fuck with what you're doing, you're probably not gonna be that successful.
Speaker 2: House.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. And Malcolm xIC just jumped you feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like it's like I don't know, like we we all have like had careers that like a big part of our careers are like white people do kind of funk with what we do. And if white people don't fuck with what you do, then like there's only so far a lot of times, and there are exceptions to these rules. But like I do think generally, if you want to become really mainstream popular, a lot of white people do have to like you.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's it's breaking though, because now it's becoming siloed so much.
Speaker 4: True everybody's just creating their culture.
Speaker 1: So you look at like Deontay Kyle, and it's like he just over there created his church and eighty five soup. They just over there making their church. Anyway, if you could grab your two million.
Speaker 3: Sure, you're good, You're right, I mean you remember that we did.
Speaker 6: And we were like, oh, it's hello, white people in here. Sure, even like niggas who were trying to get into this show, We're like, we can't get into that capacity. And then we were like, oh, number one, we got to go down We gotta go downstairs the bar room.
Speaker 1: We need more space.
Speaker 6: And we were all three of us, Me and Gary were like, and we gotta do Nigga out because because the crowd was.
Speaker 1: Just so kind, you have to be conscious of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, can we should start like doing some like gorilla marketing, just like tell niggas we see in the barbershop.
Speaker 4: You're talking, the more they'll find you.
Speaker 1: I feel like, first my career very white, but it's transition. Like when I'm on the on the road with me, my shows are very you know what I mean. But it was like it just took niggas some times.
Speaker 2: To find your girl.
Speaker 1: Once they found me, they're like, oh okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty yeah my shows are I mean, because that's that was like the thing that I'm most known for. The shows are still like whiter, whiter and older than I would want them to be on the road because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see you putting our stuff. And also I used to I'm not gonna lie not. I used to intentionally if I felt like, you're here because you read some credits, but you don't really know. I'm gonna make sure by the time you leave, you either a supporter or you I'm.
Speaker 4: Not gonna let this be blurry for you.
Speaker 1: We need you gonna know by the time you walk up out of here if you ever want to come back, because I didn't want to have to keep playing that because I think once you, if you feed that, it becomes that and it.
Speaker 4: Is very hard to reverse that.
Speaker 1: So if you get to a place where you're like I need I need them, so I'm gonna play the game, it gets nasty and it's like you might as well filter them out now, just get them out of there. Just I would have seven or you know what I mean. I can't believe you say I'll never be back, and I'm like, well, that's good because they're saying for you, and you shouldn't come back. Go find what's for you, because you can trap yourself with an audience that you don't want.
Speaker 5: We've seen that happens people that we know, some people who are really successful, who are.
Speaker 2: Just like fuck.
Speaker 4: Like I think about it, like not even like music.
Speaker 1: Comedy is a conversation, So I gotta talk to niggas. I hate night after night after night after night for you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I can't do that. I'd rather go to Best Buy baby.
Speaker 3: Like that. I'd rather clock in.
Speaker 1: And that's like, I gotta keep giving you all of me and I don't even like you. That's a lot.
Speaker 3: I gotta travel.
Speaker 1: I'm always about getting them, get them out real quickly, move on. I took it from I remember I was maybe like twenty some years old, twenty two. I go see Tracy Morgan and I told this story.
Speaker 2: He remembered it.
Speaker 1: Go see Tracy Morgan as Boston comedy Connection in Fanuel Hall, and I'm excited. This is what I'm just a fan. I don't even know I'm gonna do this, but I just love comedy, so we yours. I would go see everybody. I was about twenty two, so this gotta be like two thousand and two somewhere around there, and I go see Tracy and there because probably because of S n L. And I didn't think about that at the time, that he was fighting that all the time because I wouldn't understand it, and I didn't understand sow I started working the comedy club and have to really talk about it. And there was this white woman and her and her and her husband and they came with their daughter.
Speaker 4: The girl was maybe seven, somewhere in the crazy Tracy.
Speaker 2: But I guess you just know him from NBC Tracy.
Speaker 1: You think he's about the body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna do is like yeah, so, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And minute one remembers this. He came out and it's gonna sound insane, so we might have to cut it. But he came out and he saw the little girl and he said, why the fuck.
Speaker 2: Did y'all bring it?
Speaker 1: He's like, don't you know this grown ship going on? Like this is this is real? I'm a fucking man. And he grabs his dick and he's like, this is man ship. I'm a fucking man, Like real real ships about to be.
Speaker 6: Talking that expressive coming through.
Speaker 3: Coming out like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like they just gathered and leave.
Speaker 1: And I remember just thinking, this nigga is wild and this is like the funniest thing I've ever seen. And then when I was talking to him about it later, I said that was a comedian. I realized you had to get that out of there so you could do your show. It was like, this needs.
Speaker 3: To end now.
Speaker 1: I can't have some try to figure out my way around it. I'm not even gonna know where you You gotta get the funk out. Or it's like it's like the opposite.
Speaker 6: It's not the opposite of the story you hear about Larry David or he'll get on stage, He'll like, look at the autists just be like no, I'm like I want to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, like you're not doing this because you something and if it ain't, we can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like we can't even start because we can't even start.
Speaker 6: If Elephant is sitting right in front of elementary school and I'm getting ready to say, who got to be I'm about to get pregnant, that's mine, that's like my big thing, and.
Speaker 1: Talking about like a girl with crutches, and in a very way, he just got.
Speaker 5: That's I respect that I wouldn't be able to. I wouldn't be able I would ask that question so distracted, but I asked that question to be like what the fun and then I just keep going, keep going, and I guess whatever.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying. Be ready to saying like that.
Speaker 3: Like you can lose some people, Yeah you can go.
Speaker 1: We can't.
Speaker 4: We can't be desperate for them all to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that someone who gotta go.
Speaker 1: But you stuck around for Frank?
Speaker 3: What exactly.
Speaker 1: Transition?
Speaker 2: Can transition? Came?
Speaker 6: What I was gonna ask, because look, it's clear, it's clear what spoke to me about Frank?
Speaker 1: But what okay? I didn't like how you.
Speaker 4: Said that that he doesn't take.
Speaker 5: This got crazy getting on the mic acting brand new, refuse, I refuse to be jumping my own podcast.
Speaker 4: Just hang out because I need somebody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just saying jumped on my own podcast, just refuse to get games on my own podcasting?
Speaker 1: Is that I just beat beat up on him and it's like, no, he's.
Speaker 3: In here things the audience here is what happens? That the truth I don't I don't got to make.
Speaker 2: To the people.
Speaker 6: What what was it that Frank? What was that Frank? How did what did he say to you? How did he what did he what did What was it about him that made you like the sound?
Speaker 1: He didn't get invited to that frank somebody that was hot.
Speaker 3: I wasn't that upset.
Speaker 2: Looking looking at story Instagram stories.
Speaker 6: Man, I that upset because I heard I heard what I heard.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that funny.
Speaker 2: I heard it.
Speaker 1: I heard it wasn't that fun anyway.
Speaker 2: It's over your tongue. Man, over there.
Speaker 1: You wanted to know for yourself.
Speaker 6: I've been to plenty of gay parties. That was the last thing I need to go. Okay, I know I know every other gay party. Horse Me, just go see you.
Speaker 1: They know me, they know me out here. Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know, man, I just I don't think. I don't. You know.
Speaker 5: I'm not the right person to comment on this, but has labeling their stuff crazy names, horse Me, disco.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not.
Speaker 4: It's a fun time doing, is what Tracy Morgan is doing.
Speaker 3: Sure, be here, horse Me turns.
Speaker 2: You off, You're not You're not supposed to be here. That's that's true.
Speaker 1: Does Bobby Steak?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you've.
Speaker 2: Been you No, I've never been. But but but you know what's funny.
Speaker 5: I've been invited a bunch of times always Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Alex Alex hates it. Also one time, one time, Alex was on.
Speaker 5: Grinder, like he was like deming with a guy on Grinder and then the dudes just like he is Devin is Devin Walker gay?
Speaker 1: That that did happen? That did happen to get next year, I got excuse me, sir, he gotlie.
Speaker 2: Alex hates Alex hates it. Gay niggas want me bro. Alex hates it so.
Speaker 3: Because it's unnecessary. Alex, she's not She's not gay. That's gonna waste your time.
Speaker 4: Gives shy boy gay stuff that the boys like, I think this good.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 1: This is disgusting.
Speaker 6: All I asked is how Frank spoke. That's all I asked. That is all I asked.
Speaker 5: I think I think Frank. I think Frank and all those guys like kind of like Sam was saying. I was like, oh, I've never seen anything like this before. You never have like certain art that you're like, oh, this is made for someone like me, and sometimes something gravitates to you.
Speaker 4: Kanye exactly, college drop out, it was like this was made for me.
Speaker 2: I'm the person who's was I to college.
Speaker 1: When college drop it was like, did you drop out? I did dropped out. I was listening. I felt everything Kanye was saying. I was like, why are we doing indyan Is?
Speaker 3: I graduated high school and graduation came, why are.
Speaker 1: We do what indyan is? Why why are we playing this game while we Yo? I'm working at the gaps the spaceship and my manager come on? Was that was like the job? Like Kanye was literally talking to kids like me. It was like you grew up in that eighties nineties ever you saw crack, you saw drugs, but your brothers, the people older than you did that. You was a little weird though you never really got it, but you was aware of it, you know, because you were aware of it. And then like we all got retail jobs because we knew how to talk, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But we fucking hated them. I had several I worked. I worked at the groceries.
Speaker 5: If anybody from Texas series is, I worked at ag B for like five years.
Speaker 2: I worked there from the groceres. I whoa, that's did you hear it?
Speaker 1: Because they because they don't.
Speaker 8: You heard he's a shade, so you heard the room the room.
Speaker 2: I thought. I worked at the grocery store. He's a grocery.
Speaker 3: They don't let straight boys at the castle just ster they don't. That's that's the girls at a gay boys job. That's true.
Speaker 5: But just to be clear, my grocery store, everybody was doing everything I was just used to on the I worked.
Speaker 2: I worked at the register.
Speaker 5: I used to work when I was by the time about twenty eleven, when I was in college, I used to. I got promoted and I got to work in like the sample department, so like they used to have. This doesn't exist in like most other stores, but we had these like separate little kitchens. Like it was basically like there was this little kitchen. I'm gonna ShW you all a picture, and I worked in this little kitchen at the ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I can, I got. I got.
Speaker 4: When you're on the samples, you gotta prep the samples up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well there was different.
Speaker 5: So there was like the one there was a normal samples that y'all probably had a Charall's grocery stories where it was like, oh, today we're doing popsicles. Yeah, and like here's a little piece of popsicle. We had that, But then we had like a whole separate like like costcos. We had a whole separate like little kitchen where you would make a little meal and you would be trying to like sell that to.
Speaker 4: The different parts of the meal, like you can get the rice over here.
Speaker 2: You can get this.
Speaker 5: It would all be right in the little area. All right, this is I worked in.
Speaker 2: I worked in this connection like a little guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I was twenty one years old. I was at, huh, you look like a chef. Y'all aren't being nice to me?
Speaker 8: On you?
Speaker 2: I'll say that.
Speaker 5: I'll say first, you said first, first you did that with the bagging groceries. And then and then I said, I worked in the cooking area. And she said, you got a chef's body.
Speaker 3: Asked what you did?
Speaker 2: Y'all? Hear what's going on? Right?
Speaker 5: And the listeners at home you're aware was going on as well. If you if you tell somebody they have a blank body, unless you're being like, hey, you got the body of a swimmer, you're not being like You're not You're not being like I got you. That's not you're not saying I think you have a desire.
Speaker 6: You can't eat me in with both in your respective way. I just want to point out position was talking about chefs are tall.
Speaker 2: That's not a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that, Like I feel like you got a chef look okay.
Speaker 2: Sure no, but so chef body that you.
Speaker 3: Were in the grocery store and you were.
Speaker 6: So Yeah, you have like retail like clothes because you into the gap.
Speaker 1: I was at Hollister because that's I worked at Macy's. Yeah, what I was saying, everyone kind of had jobs. We were shopping in hot Top. I worked, I worked again. You doing it again?
Speaker 8: I mean, how were you shopping Victoria's secrets? Homo shade? I was, I was all model.
Speaker 3: I was a model. I was a Hollister model because that's what they I went in there for job.
Speaker 1: You were hired. I was a model.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's what you were.
Speaker 1: A slinger of club.
Speaker 2: Niggas. You was not model niggas.
Speaker 3: Mad Man, just man.
Speaker 2: We called a different times to were a Hollister model. That was a Hollister model. He said it a lot of times.
Speaker 6: On behalf of all former Hollister models back in the day. You know what I mean, White, did you suck address?
Speaker 2: Not? None?
Speaker 6: Trying to keep my job none. I was trying to keep my job none.
Speaker 2: I also I worked at the Holls for like two or three months. Oh you were, I worked. I was not a mode I worked in the back. I worked. I worked. No, no, don't do that.
Speaker 6: They had me out there with the with the small T shirt with the with the flip flops on.
Speaker 2: Some ship.
Speaker 4: Shirt. We got a lot of black.
Speaker 2: They put me in the back.
Speaker 5: They said, hey, hey, we gonna need you to put a yeah, put one hundred censors on the on this whole box of teas.
Speaker 1: And bring some of that chicken and rice from your last job. They time from hand jobs and dicks.
Speaker 6: I mean that was every I mean if you were like between the years like two thousand and two to six oh seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for like a gay, that was like.
Speaker 6: The gay boys, entry level, entry level gay like job. It was we kind of where you found your gay, Like, oh I do I look like I look like this, and I guess I guess I'm gay.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm gay. You know they weren't hiring straight boys.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you that this explained so much.
Speaker 1: What is it explained because I also worked at full Locker. So now you not what you want to say, because.
Speaker 2: I also worked atull lock First of all, Detroit levels to me.
Speaker 6: But I was, Yeah, I was getting niggas Jordan's. I was, I was getting nigga Jordan's. I was holding shoes for niggas.
Speaker 3: So yeah, talk about me now, say say what, say what's up with me now?
Speaker 6: Because I'm a real nigga at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Calm down.
Speaker 6: I just saying, And you know, feel locker back in the day was a coveted job.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It just was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was a coven get this shoe.
Speaker 1: Niggas was always.
Speaker 4: I think it's still like still young, is it really?
Speaker 2: I think we're young for wrong are streaming? Who aren't streaming?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 6: I walk into it, but have you been into a full locker lately? No, you walk into it. It just like this don't have the same you're an adult now it's the same.
Speaker 3: I don't even think kids really fucking I bet they do. But are they all doing like, what's the what's the programs?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: The programs?
Speaker 1: That's the trading the shoes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't do about sixty right now? What the programs?
Speaker 5: A lot of kids when they get their shoes, they be logging into w w W dot program dot com the program.
Speaker 2: The assorted you, right, your program.
Speaker 6: I haven't done that stuff in a long time, like training shoes and you're like, that's ship.
Speaker 1: Like they're still real drops and they go together. Like like when I was in La before the festival, there was lines all around shoe palace and ship.
Speaker 2: Sure the kids still.
Speaker 5: To me when I was when I was a teenager, I want to work the movie theater. That was like the popping.
Speaker 2: I was a popping.
Speaker 5: I was like being at the movie theaters because everybody would come to them movie theater. You could like you would get free candy and ship. But I never they never. I never got accepted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cell phone store, I worked that spring.
Speaker 2: I was pretty high.
Speaker 1: I the new phone that dropped, and I did, I think I'm out of this next merger. This is after the merger, I believe, because no, this was after the merger because they had dropped those Staniel joints. Remember the ones that were different colors. You take the chirp on.
Speaker 3: I was working at construction workers with our next I had one.
Speaker 1: I was there and I pulled a little one too. I pulled a little fevery stevery.
Speaker 4: I got them.
Speaker 1: I got them. That the palm Trio three dropped. Remember the Palm Trio three for the young folks who no, no, it was actually the first touch screen phone period because the Palm Trill three.
Speaker 2: Was the first fall with the stylist.
Speaker 1: It was the first touch screen phone to ever drop. And there was this you could you could order like replacement phones with people. So your phone was fucked up, whatever, it's too fucked up, we would just order your replacement. Whenever a new phone came out, you automatically got to that upgrade. So just like when you turn into TV at Best Buy on your replacement plane, it's like if they don't make that TV anymore, they just give you sit next. So I was like I had access to order Palm trios like two three months because they go on the upgrade list like two three months after they come out. And like back then, which was like four fifty something crazy because there was this new technology, you know, And I ordered a bunch two different addresses that I knew, like I would winner six my grandmam sits and then I would just pick them up and I was selling them in a hood for the hunted.
Speaker 4: So I put the whole hood of busting on. Everybody had a Palm Trio three.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. That's beautiful.
Speaker 4: And I used that money to move to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I love another scam in a city. So you really took the money and I started my life in Atlanta. And then that's when I found out I was a dyke, right, and that's how I got here.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the Palm Trio three.
Speaker 2: Shout out, shout out to the poem that company.
Speaker 5: Probably it was like I was talking about this the other This is like one of my biggest old man things is like I do miss when everybody had a different phone, Like.
Speaker 3: That was everybody, you know what I'm saying, couldn't afford the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like so every I had, like I had this phone.
Speaker 5: It was like a KEYO Sarah joint and it used to swivel out like that, and I was that was hard and nobody else had this joint like and like the buttons would be hidden until you swiveled it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was as I was.
Speaker 5: It was a psychic but with like I wasn't money.
Speaker 1: I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I miss I missed. I missed that I missed with everybody. Everybody used to have different chargers. So like if you didn't if you didn't have your charger was.
Speaker 3: On my shop.
Speaker 4: Technology person.
Speaker 1: I remember this is why I knew I didn't really like my boyfriend because I got a I got a two way. My homie market is my best friend. He got a two way, and I was like, he was like, you gotta get you a two way. I was like, I'm gonna give me a two way page so I couldn't. This is like when niggas couldn't. Like Jay had the type that was like the big two way, that was like the big dog two way. But then Motorola dropped these like cheaper two ways that were colorful. They were see doing color, but it was like you could flip it. You had the pad and you could two wait. So we was like this before text. So he was like, get you a two way. We could you know you can only two way other two ways, so get you a two way page.
Speaker 4: And still it worked as a regular pager. But then you could Sidney.
Speaker 6: And Silver yeah yeah, the top of and you can you can talk on it too.
Speaker 1: Then we got the little the little color for one. You could talk on them and you could to the two ways. So we're like it. So Marcus gets the two. I get the two ay, so were talking to class. Now we can text each other middle of the day.
Speaker 2: This is technology, you know, text one other person. Know, anyone with a two way.
Speaker 1: Have that device so much. My boyfriend goes like, oh, I'm gonna get it too. I'm like, don't get it.
Speaker 4: To He's like and I'm like no.
Speaker 1: Like that's not necessary. So then his mom's like, she why doesn't she want you to have a two A And in my heart, I was like, I don't want to be talking to this nigga all day. I was like, he don't got no friends. I'm cooler than him, so like, I'm the only two way nigga. He know. So now he got a two way on my line of day, interrupted my fun I'm having with my two way friends in the modern road. This is just getting android. I don't I don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't Jose text missus is coming in.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, but that was pre text message.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I mean it was a form of but yeah, no, it was pre well, I mean you're still messaging.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm saying there was no phone text phone text.
Speaker 1: Don't say.
Speaker 5: Yes, it wasn't all We're supposed to be talking about twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: We're talking about maybe nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 6: We're just supposed to No, this was in nineteen ninety eight, this was this was this is in the thousand, two thousands.
Speaker 3: This is another.
Speaker 6: Don't act like you that damn okay, you know something that should happened two thousands, two thousand nine.
Speaker 2: I just I didn't. I didn't have a two way. This is bike that wasn't popping in.
Speaker 1: One thousand, probably like two thousand, might.
Speaker 4: Be ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Ye okay, so you might be right, You might be right. You might be right about ninety eight before.
Speaker 2: I have no technology.
Speaker 1: I was like in temple, Temple going to eleven, so probably like ninety eight ninety nine.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, you know in the spirit of twenty eleven, Like I said before, how did the killing of Osima been lyming to affect you?
Speaker 3: You want to send your house have been lying, he says.
Speaker 1: You want to tell us.
Speaker 2: Is where were you?
Speaker 1: When?
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 3: And Obama can't walking down that hallway. What was going somewhere somewhere a white.
Speaker 6: Woman somewhere would have with in one hand and a white woman on the other hand, and dreaming about listening to the Frank Ocean as black Obama tells that he's killed the person responsible for September eleventh.
Speaker 3: That's what, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna hold you. I'm not gonna hold you.
Speaker 5: The picture y'all just painted what sounds like a beautiful time. I know you only say it in a pejorative way, but I'm like, I kind of was living.
Speaker 6: Like that, and I was having a blast and Sma been lyten was no more across that white ass campus with Fris.
Speaker 2: And a slice of pizza with some Sperris on.
Speaker 5: I was having a knight with Sperris and like a Japanese flag Mandan with having her blast with.
Speaker 3: Fucking paperwork for Delta Kai Mega, and I think that's a perfect place to Devin, friends, Yeah, this has been quite the journey, one of a kind episode for this podcast.
Speaker 1: We had no information.
Speaker 6: I had no information, but that's the kind of mess but also showed us that we're doing way too much work.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this has been fantastic.
Speaker 3: Devin.
Speaker 1: Tell everybody that's listening to this show today where to find you.
Speaker 2: Check out my podcast.
Speaker 5: My favorite lyrics the podcast Alex and Sam have both had episodes on there.
Speaker 2: Alex, we actually need to get both of y'all back.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't, I mean I was the debut episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you use the debut episode. Were getting to the point where we're starting to circle back.
Speaker 1: By line, I don't know what I can't come back.
Speaker 2: You don't live here so that you can only talk to people.
Speaker 1: I mean she's here, she's here.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. That's true. Honestly, y'all. Y'all both should come back. Y'all both should come back.
Speaker 5: Check out my favorite lyrics we talk about, like music lyrics that are are really funny and interesting. Uh, you know, follow me on all of that, follow me on Instagram, you know how to find people? Find me on all that stuff. Subscribe to the pod. It's a good time fok cooking connection.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 5: If anybody is a comedian and y'all think about coming on this podcast, don't do it.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 2: They're gonna come up on here and be rude. They're gonna talking, they're gonna talk about your physical.
Speaker 3: Form, and they're gonna as people.
Speaker 5: They're gonna ask you, they're gonna ask you about your past, and they're gonna flip the information that they asked for back onto your person, and they're gonna use that against you.
Speaker 2: Is that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 6: Just one most antagonist I guess we've ever had and no one comes on to this platform.
Speaker 1: But today I think he was great.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I think Devin was good and awesome. I think we used we usually have a little.
Speaker 2: Thing, but it was not today. We were on the same team because we were fighting against the enemy.
Speaker 3: I refuse to Mike.
Speaker 1: It's so.
Speaker 3: Thank you everybody for listening.
Speaker 6: As always, subscribe comments, share with a friend, passed the word.
Speaker 1: On and listen wherever you get your podcasts and we will see you next time.
Speaker 4: For as long as they allow us.
Speaker 1: To do this.
Speaker 4: Look back at it as a production of iHeartMedia and this is important. It is co hosted by Me, Sam Jay and Alex English. Theme music by Aaron Kauffman. It is executive produced by Lindsay Hoffman and the host Nier and Jenna Cago. Co produced, mixed and mastered by Carmen Lauren. Additional support by Casey Donahue.
Speaker 1: Researched by Jabbari Davis,