Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing a lawyer. Here's my business card. I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 2: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a new episode of The Machine podcast, part of the File Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and the Major League Baseball trade deadline for the twenty twenty sixth season is ova as the White Sox made some moves as they acquired everything on their shopping list. They wanted a starting pitcher, they wanted another reliever, they wanted a catcher. They also added another player to the squad that we weren't expecting before the deadline. Here's Chicago White Sox Generald manager Chris Gatz explaining the moves and the rationale behind those moves that he made before the August third trade deadline.
Speaker 4: Hello, everyone, Thanks for getting together this evening after you know, the trade deadline kind of you know the trade deadline. I feel like I've gone through a day night doubleheader myself, but couldn't be more excited with what we were able to accomplish. Obviously, you're at the mercy of other clubs and having deep talks and dialogue and a lot of good ideas, wild ideas, bad ideas come about in those conversations. But what we were trying to accomplish was certainly a starting pitcher, which we were able to accomplish with Louis Castillo, Brenton Doyle, someone that's going to help in the outfield, Rosa Van, a strong reliever, it's going to help our pitching staff. And then Joey Bart from a catching standpoint. So you know, going into this trade deadline, you know you don't exactly know who you're going to be able to acquire, but to be able to get a an experienced starter like Louis Castillo, a really strong defender with what we feel like is untapped offensive potential in Brenton Doyle and Joey Bart adding depth to our catching group and someone that is experienced and is only going to help. And then of course Brosaban that is some who is someone that's going to help our bullpen. So feel really good with what we were able to accomplish, and you know, I feel like we're well positioned for the remainder of the year and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: One of the goals that Chris Getz in the Chicago White Sox run off as had was trying to keep their top ten prospects unless there was a deal out there that it made sense for the White Sox just didn't find that deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the last couple of days and including today, very open minded we were, but you know, we did want to preserve our top prospects in which we felt like we were able to accomplish and make measurable steps forward with the talent on our major league club. You know, we've got a lot of players that rask for from our prospect group. I understand that it's not that we were dismissive and unwilling. It just didn't make sense with some of the asks. So yeah, I mean it. Yeah, it's very clear that you know, a Caleb Bottom or a Billy Carlson very attractive pieces. But then you you know, with us wanted to maintain the group that we've been able to grow on the minor league side. That's only going to help us in the future. We felt like we were able to accomplish not only adding wins to our major league club, but also maintaining prospect devv.
Speaker 3: With acquiring Joey Bart, the Chicago White Sox and Chris Gatts have to make a decision on the catching situation between Drew Romo and Edgar Carro Gets explained his rationale behind that decision making.
Speaker 4: So in the meantime, we are optioning Edgar Carrow with Joey Bart being the addition here, so we'll do a combination of he and Romo. Edgar Carroll has done a nice job since he's come back. Really, you know, he's helped us win games and he's working on both of receiving an offensive game has taken, you know, a step forward for where it was earlier, but we've maintained that depth. I would say when Kyle Tiel comes back, obviously that'll be the biggest boost we look forward to that time. In the meantime, we feel like Joey and Romo are gonna, you know, set us up for you know, wins here when it comes to the to the month of August. But in the meantime, we are optioning Edgar Carroll.
Speaker 3: There were lots of quality rental starting pitchers in the sense that they're rentals because they're going to become free agents after the twenty twenty six season. We explained into the past couple episodes. Robbie Ray was a tar gonna mind. He went to San Diego. Kevin Gossman went to Chicago, but to the Cubs and not the White Sox. I still think that would have been a great addition for the White Sox team. The White Sox didn't acquire any of those rental starting pitchers, and Chris Getz explains.
Speaker 4: Why funny names out there that we felt like could really help us. The asking prices and looking at what some of those returns were, like, we we just couldn't match up. And some of that was our unwillingness to part with the top of our system and also just how our system is set up right now. And you know, we've got some guys that are you know, various or I should say very obvious candidates. Like at the top he had top hundred guys. There is a little bit of gap to the next group, and so you know, you look at some of those returns, I think that there was some plays that were in between you know that that existed in other organizations that we weren't able to provide, So you were forced into topper end guys. So yeah, it was kind of just a victim of how we're set up right now. In the future, who knows how we would play that out. But based on what we've been able to accomplish right now, where were things are, you know, where we feel like things are going, it just felt like it was it was the right move.
Speaker 3: Now that the trade deadline is over, Chris gets his belief in his team continues to grow, especially with what the White Sox have accomplished in their past two series against the Yankees and Rays, and what lies in front of them this week against the Red Sox and Guardians.
Speaker 4: You know, they compete, you know, against anyone obviously, you know, you look at what we did with the Yankees those final two games and taking two out of three. The Tampa Bay Rays. You know, still like objectively when you line up with some of these clubs and you look at the names out of the other club versus our club. You know, I'm sure there are people that you know, might choose the other club versus us. But we go out there and we're not scared of anyone.
Speaker 5: We aren't.
Speaker 4: We're not, so you know, I just you know, we've accomplished a lot so far. I think we can do even more. They believe in themselves, and I believe in this group.
Speaker 6: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 5: Kratz.
Speaker 4: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Belle in a bubble.
Speaker 5: So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 1: I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 6: That's right. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets, and when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your PET. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com. Slash foul again one more time, ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Hey, Howard, they're over eight million drivers in the state of Illinois. With that many people on the road, accidents are bound to occur. I'm Attorney Howard Ankin, and if you or someone you care about has been involved in an auto rideshare trucking accident, I'm here to.
Speaker 7: Help you know where to fown.
Speaker 1: Call my office for a free consultation at three one two six million. I'm Heroin. You need me injury law made personal. That's ink in Law.
Speaker 3: And now continuing the conversation with me on the White SOX twenty twenty trade deadline activity is SOX Machines Managing editor Jim Margolis and beat reporter James Vegan And hello gents, what's a busy last four days for us at a Sox Machine. I Chris Gets I think said it perfectly like for him it feels like he just played a day night doubleheader, and I kind of feel the same way as well. Just a NonStop content creation, either the podcast front and all the columns that we've been writing on soxmachine dot com. So let's give our first impressions our instant reaction to the White Sox trade deadline. I'll start with you, James, what's the first thing that you think of when it comes to the White Sox trade activity?
Speaker 5: The first thing I think of.
Speaker 7: For the person says the day night doubleheader and did a trade at one thirty in the morning while I was trying to get three hours of sleep from my rescheduled flight.
Speaker 5: What the first thing I thought?
Speaker 7: They like, there was points like like a week out where I'm just like trying like talking to people and like, hey, is this like a fair assessment of what you want? Starter pitch starting pitcher preferably is control leverage arm catcher, And they're like, yes, you're on it. They got starting pitcher leverage, really farm starting pictures control and a catcher and you know you've framed it at the time like a catcher who was really just holding you over until Kyle teals thumps back.
Speaker 5: That's what they got.
Speaker 7: And then they pursued this need that I didn't even realize that they thought they needed in terms of Breton Doyle, so like in terms of like objectives and knowing that they are they had to be dragged into this is some bit like obviously this is from June. They were kind of changing their tune in terms of, you know, we have to treat this, you know team with respec back like their contending team. They came to this point, you know, three games out in front biggest divisionally in the AL is you know my uh one esteemed voice and the socks of media spear. Let me know, it's so I think Chris gets even like elucidated, like a further point of like maybe even like a self particular system. Was what he said is like, we have our top hundred guys that we could get big pieces with that we don't really want to touch, and then we have like you know what they traded, which was the tier of like Gabe Davis, Boston Smith, Mason Adams and feeling like they were a little light in terms of like the territory between that that might have helped them land some other you know pieces or maybe you know, makes a rental deal happen, and feeling like they had to because they didn't want to use the big pieces. They kind of had to scrap together with that more like middle tier guys who were in the teens of like an average system's prospect list, And because of that, everything's like a little.
Speaker 5: There's like a little.
Speaker 7: Qualifire, and that's true for every player, but like it's a Luis Castillo, this guy is awesome, three time all starts. In the press release, he's having the career where a season you're kind of gidding him because you're taking on a contract of the Mariners. Clearly see his onerous for someone who's trying to make you better right away, you kind of have to fix it or at least get it on track.
Speaker 5: I know they.
Speaker 7: Downplay the idea of like, oh, we need to overhaul his arsenal for him to be good again, but like that's got to be part of it, right, Like there are a lot of indicators that this like isn't the best he's looked the worst he's looked Somewhat some people are saying bart is clearly a backup, like this is someone who hasn't really been like a full time you know, starting catcher for a contending team recently or you know, arguably for a long period of time. Like that said, it was was paired off a pretty optimistic projection for Kyle Tealem saying he could be back by September first, or at least early next month. So that even maybe drills down further upon like why you don't get much more than like someone who's a good backup in that time? And also we can't really hold like why didn't you pay this for Tyler Stevenson when Tyler Stevens doesn't move and the Reds don't trade him or Brady Singer, And generally it's like what were those were your guys doing? Rather than what were the White Sox not doing?
Speaker 5: To get it?
Speaker 7: And uh, even even Bronzebino, I think is the most objective, like, hey, here's a reliever who's pitching good right now. You can throw him in a leverage mix that's almost a straightforward like that's all you're looking for when we trade a reliever. But it's like, oh, he's got years of control. Oh he'll probably be forty by the time he gets free agency because of his journey, Like there's just a little thing. And then Brenton Doyle, like, you know, he's obviously it's a reclamation project and maybe not reclamations the right word. They use it like they have hitting tweaks that they already have in mind with him, and that's great, and obviously that's a st regular season is how many guys they've been able to fix offensively, But that's part of what's coming in as a guy who's one just not hitting well the season because he's been injured, it didn't hit well last year. But also you're kind of thanking on him coming in and you're literally, you know, Tafane Evers prayer, so you're kind of saying, like, we think can be better than him, and you know, kind of sounds like they're counting on going to be better than Austin Hayes because that's an option that's you know, pressing on them and they don't really have an answer for how that's going to fit in and it's not clear how it would. So it's it's all these like I need to like we need to like put some sort of governor like limit on Simpson's references here. But it's like a lot of slightly burnt like series Active Where coming in where you know what time and how burn like it's available now and we'll see how out burn it is as time where is on. So it's like, yeah, you did everything you need to do. You were shopping kind of in the discount aisle and shopping well in discount isle is obviously the story your season is something like Hellttle Miguel Vargus, but it's it's not like, hey, we're serious, like where the Yankees and died. It's not how those teams are moving necessarily in terms of like how much they're kind of banking on the rebounds coming as these guys get in the house.
Speaker 3: Well, that was a very detailed instant reaction to the White Sox trade deadline. So, Jim, I'm not sure how you want to follow that up, but what was your first impression.
Speaker 5: After the You feel like it's really a lot.
Speaker 8: Hey, I could stop there if you want to conserve the airtime, but I would say, they passed the twenty twenty test, as we talked about in terms of they had needs and they acknowledged them and they did something for them, unlike in twenty twenty when they just got draw Dyson and that was it. Even though everybody could kind of see if the pitching was falling apart, there wasn't any level of Now they're even like getting Brenton Doyle, which is a little bit weird in terms of they had a Brenton Doyle and the roster previously and Derek Hill. They kind of had one in Everson Pereira. They kind of well, they don't have Austin Hayes, not Brenton Doyle in terms of playing center, but just they have a lot of right handed outfielders and to add another one when that wasn't necessarily in the cards because they have so many right handed outfielders of precarious situations, be it a lack of options, be it service time, being able to reject assignments that you didn't know exactly what they're going to do with them, and then Brenton Doyle shows up. But it was an acknowledgement that, hey, Tristan Peters is really scuffling. It's been a minor miracle what they've gotten from him so far. The fact that he's an All Star looks, you know, it was incredibly unlikely. It might be one of those things that after the season, depending on how the rest of his second half goes, you might think, like, how did that ever happen? They might have to explain to future generations. But they acknowledged it by saying, Hey, this guy might be he's struggling a little bit. He might be biting off finally more than he can chew. So we got to give him some help. And we don't trust Everson Prayer enough to cover center field the way we're asking Tristan Peters to cover center field. So with that in mind, they did acknowledge all of those deficits and did something to help. I will say that, you know, to to James's point about like the prospect here that they couldn't deal from, I think it's another example of just not having an up and running international arm Yet they've made improvements, or they've changed leadership, they're gonna get a new facility. It's a long process, you know, takes what five to seven years or something like that. From you know, I think David Keller taking over to finally seeing results. But we've seen this before, you know, whether it's the how within the prospect lists are, how the White Sox aren't able to supply reinforcements to their own roster or trade guys away, the way the Padres are able to just make six trades a deadline and seven more in the off season with just how many interesting young talent, uh you know they have at premium positions, uh and pitching. So I think it's another example of missing that, missing that Jefferson Rojas type of just you know, they've done well enough with the draft. Uh, they've done wealth recolimation projects, but not having that wing where like a third or more of your talent supposed to come from just kind of ignoring it and barely getting any kind of guys that surface to the majors. And if they do surface, like Lenine Sosa, who is you know, has some talent but is limited, it just limits what they can do with either acquiring players or supplying their own. So they had to work around it, and they did work around it. Yeah, I was thinking like outlet mall, like a kind of a shopping spree where you know, everything's just not quite right to some regard, but.
Speaker 9: They didn't.
Speaker 8: I don't think they overpaid for it. He maybe Castillo, I guess we'll get to him, you know, individually might be the one where I think they might have paid too much just in terms of the obligation they're taking on. But I think they paid appropriate prices otherwise for players who might be able to help, and if they don't help, at least after the season, whatever happens, GETS can say I tried something. You know, maybe I could have been a little bit bolder, but also I didn't ignore it, and hope things get better and just cross my fingers that luck would curious in the postseason and then I could get away with just you know, having all the prospects I had and not having to make a choice.
Speaker 3: Well, the first part of this show we heard from Chris Gatz. I would kind of describe it as exhausted enthusiasm, as he's very tired working the phones and working the text messages. And I don't even know if gms email each other. But I agree with you guys that as far as the White Sox shopping list, they checked off every item. It's just that other teams the American League. I like the move by Tampa Bay Liam Hicks. Boston really believes after sweeping the Los Angeles Dodgers in LA to go get Attalie Rushman. That's a huge move for Boston's perspective. I'm not sure how much the New York Yankees have improved. I'm not sure that the Houston Astros. They got Dalton varshow, but their farm system is pretty much depleted. That's as best as they could do, and they had as trade one of their starting pitchers. But I feel like for White Sox fans after the deadline, there is room for wanting more from this deadline, especially with what Cleveland did, and with Cleveland getting Foster Griffin and Joe Adell and Nathaniel Lowe, that is going to put some pressure on the White Sox. So this upcoming weekend at home, that just increases the importance of that series between the White Sox and Guardians. Is the White Sox still have the series lead. They have four wins while the Guardians have so that's heighbreaker could really come important for the White Sox. But Chris Getz still believes with the team that he's got And to your point, Jim, it's not twenty twenty. He did add four players, so this isn't a repeat of Rickhan just adding one guy and then lamenting that well, the market didn't work out our way. He did make things happen.
Speaker 6: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families and Todd Father you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 9: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeschooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too, and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 6: See how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential en roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 3: So let's break down as far as we worried. Did a complete episode in Luis Castillo. You could watch that on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash slacks, but we spent about forty five minutes talk about the Luis Castillo trade again. He'll be making the start for the White Sox at his White Sox debut on Thursday. But the first trade I guess on the deadline after midnight. Huascar rosobah the reliever for the New York Mets. He's having any solid season. Baseball Reference has him at a one point six war a two point five to six er run average if you're more of a FIP guy, three point three four. That's solid still for a reliever fifty two with two thirds innings and forty six appearances. That as James mentioned earlier, the White Sox gave up Gabe Davis and Zach Franklin. So when it comes to Brasobon obviously trading Sir Anthony Dominguez over to Seattle, James opened up a spot in the bullpen. Why Brosobon was targeted by the White Sox to fill that.
Speaker 7: Need, well, I mean he gets ground balls. That's certainly a useful archetype as far as relievers, and you know what's still kind of a Harris Park the White Sox. He is kind of he's for a rebuilding team like the Mets. He's thirty six years old, so you can definitely make the argument that he doesn't fit in your window, so to speak. But at the same time, like he's pretty like early on into his service time because he hasn't really been in the majors much. He'll be ar eligible for the first time next season, so probably under five million dollars as far as like with this point, looks like a proven leverage reliever and someone to pitch very well in the.
Speaker 5: WBC even before the season. It wasn't even bad last year.
Speaker 7: You had sixty three innings to being like kind above average reliever even though we started in Triple A. So it's kind of a proven arm It's it's maybe not because it's more ground ball oriented, maybe a little bit more affordable in terms of like, it's not someone who like with has the Mispats level where like you're getting charged like closer prices necessarily even if you know, maybe that's what gave Davis Becomes at some point. So I think it fit the sweet spot for their costs, you know, effectiveness. It's kind of like a stable operations. You know, they just had the super long arm action of of Sir Anthony Domingos. Now you have a short striker who kind of just funky and those controls a little bit fringy and similar to the way to Sir Anthony Aminga's but just maybe more of like not being so you know, bat missing oriented, kind of just challenge guys in the zone with a sinker and hope he gets scround balls and get guys out in front of his change up. You needed a reliever after you traded Sir Anthony away in some way, even if you had lost faith in Sir Anthony Mingas kind of becoming uh that that figure yet that leverage arm whether or not you believed in the last ten outings in a big way, and this this replaces it adequately at a It's not an easy cost because there's a seller's market, and I think you know Davis has you know, some real ceiling there that might be untapped, but it's maybe more on the reasonable side, uh than you know, other options might have been. And certainly just weren't bringing many options at all. I mean, Mason Miller didn't wind up moving. I don't think you saw like a huge wave of relievers in a way. And you're you're not absorbing salary either, So that's probably a value over Jeff Hoff. And even though the Twins like did get a little bit of a uh, you know, salary contribution for Hoff and often just in general like just feels like backbreaking home run material, even though like all of his numbers are awesome, Like I know, I would do you rest easy writing recaps with him in the ninth or anything like that. So this this seems more reasonable.
Speaker 3: So Jim, should the working assumption be that Joey Bart takes over as the primary catcher for the White Sox until Kyle Tiel returns.
Speaker 9: You would think so.
Speaker 8: The way they played Romo over Caro, even though Carol has been I would say, noticeably better at bad, even though Carol myself is not hitting welling. That's how bad Romo has been for like the last three months basically, but you think, like, oh, Caro had a good game, Caro had a big hit, Surely this is when the corner is gonna turn. But the White Sox aren't rushing towards that corner. They've played Romo, you know, half of four game series and two out of three and pretty much every three game series, so they do seem to like something that Romo offers. I mean, he's got an obvious framing advantage when it comes to stackcast, but just even you know, perhaps some some softer stuff preparation, perhaps they like that more to where it's seems fairly automatic that Rome's gonna be starting a meta or how poorly he's hitting. So yeah, I think you would hope that Bart would come in and be if not automatic two out of three like handedness two out of three, or just day game after night game, just you know, if it's a normal series two night games in a day game, that he would start two of those games, you would hope, and you would think that he would perform well enough like he's he's a catcher. That's kind of what comes out. It jumps out to me is that it reminds me of the family guy store brand and frosted flakes with Terry the Tiger, and he jumps out saying it's food and Joey bart is the food of catchers. Of that, he's just he'll do like you're not in terrible shape if he's back there, And the White Sox have been in terrible shape largely, and they've gotten by despite Teal only playing nineteen games, but does feel like the bottom could fall out at any time, and so this is something to address it and them, Like David, I think, yeah, I think there are a lot of Davits in Triple A and kind of going back and forth. I think like Tyler Schweitzer is kind of a left handed Davit or probably like perhaps a more he's evolved next stage, but of that can throw two or three innings, not gonna see leverage, but flexible, happy to pitch whenever, will throw strikes and hopefully contacts on a side like he's already serving that Davit purpose. So he gets dfaid and turns into somebody that can really can use and I think it's kind of a no brainer trade, even if it's not, you know, Adlie Rutchman to Boston level exciting.
Speaker 3: And then the third piece of the deadline outfielder Brentan Doyle, who has won a goal Glove. He's played outstanding defense and center field for the Rockies. He had an excellent twenty twenty four season. This season dealing with some injuries, Doyle has played in forty five games one hundred and twenty nine played appearances, batting two fourteen with a two eighty seven on base percentage and a two eighty two second percentage. Doyle only has one home run in five RBIs. He's worth negative zero point four war and the White Sox sent over Mason Adams is part of the deal to Colorado. So James like, when I look at the White Sox current roster, I mean technically they have six outfielders now, so you got Doyle, Tristan Peake, Sam Antonaci hold On, Brandon Montgomery, Randall, Gridchick, and Andrew Bennettunde. Now you can make the case that Ben Attend and Gridchick really are just now platuny DH. But technically they can play outfield. They have to play in the field. You'd have them play in the outfield. So why Brendan Doyle.
Speaker 7: I thought I was gonna get asked my opinion, and now I'm being put in the position to defend it. Well, I think if you put it like that, like clearly, they would probably feel like that's the best set or field defender of the mix potentially, or at least someone who's been equal to Peters in the past. And I think you're banking on like, once he's healthy, that he's going to be that again, Like he's not filling the Austin Hayes Randall gridchick role, like someone who starts in an outfield corner at DH against the left handed starter. It's someone who you can pull Peters and have someone who's as good or or or better and center when you do, or you can play them both and it's like, you know, death to the Flying Things type of the alignment with what they had when they put Derek Hill out, you know, as a defensive replacement late in games, you've seen the bat be like this nice like power over hit plus defense combination. It passed his career. There's also stretches before that and after that where it looked like, well, this is like this is to Adam Anglee in terms of this is like the early years of Adam Angle as opposed to like the cool year of Atam Angle. And I say this is like I still think, just get him healthy, train him for four weeks. Maybe Adam Angle steps into you know, is the best player in the league. I'm a huge atam Angle stand But even then, like it's it's.
Speaker 5: Erratic, and.
Speaker 7: They clearly have a plan to get him back to probably more twenty twenty four form.
Speaker 5: They think there's things.
Speaker 7: They can shave down with his loading action and clean up his bat path, and you know there's raw power there and in the past he's not chased and kind of what the struggles and you know, something that fits for a guy who's been out injured and not really gotten to rhythm. So he's chasing more this year, and so if that goes back to normal, maybe you have something here that said, like you ever see the movie Flow, like it's kind of like doesn't have any dialogue, as like the Cat where the world's flooding and there's the Lemur that's like shuffling through like shiny objects and like in this bag and trying to like pick out the bitch best one seemingly like without reason that's been like glove first, right handed outfielders with the White Sox really since they claimed Derek kill off waivers last September of like.
Speaker 5: They grabbed different ones.
Speaker 7: And you think like, okay, this is a project now, and then they shuffle to a new one and it's like all right, Like it's like you can definitely make the argument like this is maybe the best defender of the group. Maybe Derek Hill is pretty good too, but you kind of just watch them trade Derek Hill because ever sin Perreira was coming off the il and then.
Speaker 4: Ever Pereira.
Speaker 7: Comes back and it gets hurt and then you have to go to Junior Prez for a uncomfortable period of time and that probably obviously wasn't the plan. Then you get ever sin Perreira back and as as he has when he's come back, he's been keyed up and been chasing and shriking out a lot. And then you just we just saw it and like one game shouldn't assess it. They already had obviously been working on this for days, but you just saw what you were supposed to, like be working for this with him, you know, taking that close fastball from Kimberle and then launching.
Speaker 5: One and then any home run later in Garbage nine.
Speaker 7: But you know there's supposed to be there's as I know, Doyle has had like the literal like three to four win season already in the majors of four and Pereira never has done that before and certainly hasn't given you a testament for being healthy or being able to be healthy through this one. It's just that there was offensive potential there that or at least the prospect pedigree is such that never was really associated with Doyle in the same way. Like the idea is that perere was gonna be someone who's going to be above average kid, or even if he moved to a corner down the road, at least if if he got to contact enough place that power played up. Dooy clearly has power what we're trying to get back to as a guy who's kind of like league average offensively and like twenty runs above average defensively. And certainly if you think Peters is kind of struggling and you don't know what your long term center field picture is and there's not really an answer to the system, I can kind of talk myself into the project of why still being on the hunt for a full time center Fielder makes sense, I get it. It is still just kind of it's awkwardly timed, for sure, and especially for someone who was kind of very intrigued by what Everson Perreira could be if they got him right, because they had like cleaned up some things and the contact rate was better, and we hadn't seen him like make swing decisions on the level he had in the past. It's like, man, if we could just get him healthy and all put together, this kind of see flashes of this being a really interesting bat and to just get like one more taste of it and then be like, actually, we canceled this project two days ago.
Speaker 5: Here comes Doyle.
Speaker 7: It's like h man, all right, and it's kind of for him to be replacing that way. It's kind of an adjustment to realize, like Doyle's gonna kind of need the same runway and tweaked to make his contact great better and you know, time to like really get plain time. So he stopped chasing as much as he was early in the year. Seemingly all the things you're working through a Perreira, you're kind of starting again. But there is a defensive steal in the chase here that I guess I get It's just I get it.
Speaker 5: I don't hate it.
Speaker 7: I also like could also just see very easily see not doing it. And I don't think the prospect costs was like crazy, but also it wasn't like nothing like if Mason Adams. I think more was like a nice good fists six starter depth rather than like someone who's going to become a star at least of all that particular profile and cours. But it's a useful guy that we were kind of looking forward to seeing for a while. And the DSL guy, I'm not quite like so scarred by Fernando Tatis or Yoka Ferry Arter that I think every DSL guy going out is going to be awesome, but like certainly interesting in terms of like the hit tool profile. I don't know if like I think it's like Max if you look for the year was like ninety seven, so obviously like a lot a lot of way to go for that to be like major League Oliver Power, and maybe it's just not worth worrying about, but it's like this seemed like not a big cost, but a cost to go to a similar type of project.
Speaker 5: But I get it.
Speaker 7: I see it as much as I stand like I don't.
Speaker 3: For all White Sox fans. What grade would you give the Chicago White Sox twenty twenty six trade activity A, B, C or D. I didn't list an F because the White Sox actually did something. They did pull off trades, so I think that automatically eliminates an F. If you get an F as a team at the trade deadline, you either sold too much for very little return, or you didn't do anything. There are some teams that do deserve an F at the trade deadline, but for a White Sox perspective, the winner very close C ended up winning the poll. Out of six hundred and ninety one votes on social media, forty seven percent of you gave the White Sox a C. Forty two percent of you gave the White Sox a B. So I have a feeling on how you two will answer this, but let's go ahead and give out our grades for the White Sox trade deadline. James Vegan, what grade would you give Chris Gatz for the twenty twenty six trade deadline activity?
Speaker 5: What do you think I would give Chris CAATs since you have a.
Speaker 3: Feeling B minus B minus right in between B and C.
Speaker 7: My APUs sister teacher tried to argue to us that like C was a respectable grade because it's literally just like you met expectations, you did what you were supposed to do. And they're like, this is a really hard course and also it's weighted and you get a four when you're GPA anyway for a season, why are your parents yelling at me? I think for people who are working hard and want to give you like, I think the more common perception is a B is A acceptable, like your marking that I did my assignment, like I've met expectations in an A is A exceeds expectations. So I think the white sox because I'm a normal person. I'm like my APUs sister teacher would get a BE because like they did what they were supposed to, They added in all the areas they were supposed to. They absorb salary to avoid their prospect costs. I don't like as much as like people you know, say prospect hugging, like the idea they should be somewhat prudent in what they spend, like they were not asking him to like swing all the way to Dobrowski, Like I think it's I don't think like it's an absurd thing that that was a level of control they were trying to have throughout the process. I don't think like, ah, man, their cowards for not, you know, trading Caleb Bonomer. Caleb Botomer is an amazing interview. I hope they never trade him. I don't care what they need to do. The rejig of the roster around him, keep them around. So I think like they deserve even if, like I have quibbles for why, like every move doesn't quite hit like the sweet spot for like, man, this is gonna be awesome. Maybe I can kind of get there Braza bond like, especially if he comes out of the gate hot.
Speaker 5: I think it's a pretty good trade.
Speaker 7: But I think they did everything they were supposed to do at least to like the standard level you would have for acceptability at all of them. So I'd say a bee And you know CPS didn't give out pluses or minuses.
Speaker 5: So neither will I. Chicago Baby.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, so I was kind of close. Jim, what great would you give the White Sox trade deadline activity?
Speaker 8: Well, it's funny you mentioned Bonhimer being an amazing interview and not wanting to get traded. I talked to you to the nights I talked to over the past week, like talk to David, he got traded, talk to Adams, he got traded. And the best interview of all, like the guy who filled up my recorder was Ryan Galaney. I'm just like hoping like they're kind of trading from the Glaney tier. I'm really hoping that this, this piece I have lined up in my head of just like a really engaging guy is just all for not because he gets dealt before I have time to go through it and put it in a compelling order. So fortunately Ryan Glane, he is still around in that piece will still be relevant for a little bit. But I think I'm gonna go if we go with hard grades, no plus or minus. I think I'll take the C side of it in the sense that C is you know, it's a passing grade. It's not gonna get you into the good colleges. I guess if you really pay attention to the GPA that much, or if you don't, you know, load up on extra curriculars, but it does get you through, which I think this does. And to go back to the Luis Castillo conversation, like, I'm a little bit you know, between him and Doyle, I think there.
Speaker 5: Might be.
Speaker 8: A little too clever by half approach to this of just you know, Castillo, they beat them twice this year. They've beat the Mariners three times. They beat Castillo twice in the shape that he's in. So it feels a little bit like, well, we were able to take advantage of his vulnerabilities, but sure certainly we'll solve them by the time it matters. With the way their pitching development has been really uneven this year, I'm not sure how to put that much trust into it. And should his decline continue unabated, then that's a pretty big salary they're looking at. And you know, we'll see if they can work around it or try to mitigate it remove it. But you know they've struggled to do that in the past when it comes to spending past a problem. Same thing with Breton Doyle, like if he's coming off a season, you know, in the Atam Angle, count Adam Angle had a lot of different seasons. There's a lot of different atam Angle comparisons you can make between his peak and his very very beginning and the very beginning of the rebuild of the twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen I should say where he was playing, because they had nobody else who could place in our field. And if he drops back into one of those lesser angle modes, then it feels like either a little bit of an over investment or just kind of an idea. They still don't quite know what they're doing in the outfield, and you know, the Peters kind of sinks and Doyle isn't good or he gets hurt again and they lost Peira and they might lose Hayzepan and how it unfolds, and just their depth is a mess. So I think those are two that I'm kind of looking at, uh with a little bit of side eye, but not enough to where like I can understand why they did it.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 8: They haven't built up the reps I guess, proving they can do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: And and yeah, they've they've been able to turn over some stones and find something valuable that other teams maybe weren't looking at, but mid season trying to fix the plane in mid air, I don't know if I can, you know, take that leap of faith to say, like, yeah, that's they're gonna nail this. I'm gonna I'm going to give it a C grade just because I feel like it could work out in a way that kind of falls apart on them, and I want to represent that viewpoints, even if I don't think it's a disaster, that a C grade might kind of imply depending on how you view a se My.
Speaker 3: Grade is going to be a C plus because this trade deadline heavily.
Speaker 8: You're doing what you accused us of doing.
Speaker 3: Split in the middle, I am. I am gonna be splitting the coccused because this trade deadline heavily leans on Luis Castillo. Joey Bart's impact will be limited. Brenton Doyle, I understand White Sox. What you want to do everything that you have mentioned is spring training. I have no idea how you're gonna help Bran Doyle fix a swing when you couldn't help Egar Carrow and Drew Romo fix their offensive issue. So my confidence in Brent Doyle being an offensive impact is zilch. Please just catch the ball. That's your job from August until the postseason for the very few innings that you'll be playing. Because I don't think there's any reason to disrupt the playing time of Sam Antonacci, Tristan Peters, and Braden Montgomery Brazobon. I think that's a good addition for the White Sox. I like that move. If Luis Castillo deals and he finds his older version, especially the twenty twenty three through twenty twenty five edition of Luis Castillo, then this trade deadline could be awesome for the White Sox. If he continues to pitch the way that he has well, then it invites really difficult conversations going to this offseason if it pretty much handcuffs what Chris Gaetz can do because they have this big contract for Luis Castillo on the books, and maybe the White Sox didn't generate that much money this season that they can't go and spend more in free agency. So I think this trade deadline really rests on Luis Castillo. I am cautiously optimistic that the White Sox can make that fix because Castillo is a veteran and he's been a he's had that proven success. I don't know why he's struggling so much this season, but he is the per type of pitcher that we've talked about in previous episodes. What happens if you take someone that doesn't have a short role or is it a bad team situation where the team continues to lose and you trade them to a contender? Do they get a second wind? I think Luis Castillo is going to get a second wind, But I understand your point, Jim, as far as a little bit, the glass is half empty. If he doesn't, this deadline doesn't look all that great, especially if Cleveland gets the boost that we think that they will with Foster Griffin and Joe Adell. But if Castillo really pitches well, then James is going to be right on the money that this is going to be a bad trade deadline. They got an impact player in Luis Castillo. Brazabon will help solidify the bullpen, Bart Doyle, I mean they're Depp guys. The impact for both of them will be limited. It's really on Kyle Teal to not hurt himself again during rehab and get back to the White Sox as soon as possible, and everybody sat stop having cold streaks as far as the play Peters. So that's how I feel as far as the trade deadline, you guys have let us know how you feel about the White Sox trade deadline, but it's over and now we can get back to focusing on the games. This is a huge week, a huge week for the Chicago White Sox. Will be recapping this series in Boston. The Red Sox had just been unconsciously on fire right now, so this would be a tough series for the White Sox. But we thought the series in Tampa Bay would have been tough as well, and the White Sox ended up winning that series and of course the big one this upcoming weekend as the Cleveland Guardians come into town. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening and watching. If you just discovered the Sox Machine podcast, you can describe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music. This is a video podcast now, so you can watch the show on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Socks Machine. Thank you to everyone that in the last couple of days has been watching our videos. We greatly appreciate that. Again, and if you haven't subscribed to the channel, please do so. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at the Sox Machine you can follow James Vegan at Jrveigan. You can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh and if you enjoy our working on, full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox at Major League Baseball, especially more reactions and interviews and why the White Sox did what they did heading into the trade deadline. Sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at soxmachine dot com slash products, where your first month is just fifty three cents and then it will be five dollars a month afterwards. We also have additional tiers of support. Our Veterans Committee was getting a lot of the whispers and gossip the gossipers heading up into the deadlines. We still have some spots opening our VC. If you are interested in joining again, go to Soxmachine dot com slash product and sign up today. Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxsmachine dot com. You're for all the things Chicago White Sox Baseball. I'm part of the Foul Territory Network alongside Jim Marglus and James Vegan. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening. And watching
Speaker 6: H