Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I'm Stephen Carol and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg. Central bankers are like celebrities in the finance world. It's not just their actions, but every word they say gets closely scrutinized.
Speaker 2: The word transitory has different meanings to different people. I think it's probably a good time to retire that word and try to explain more clearly what we mean.
Speaker 1: The ECB is ready to do whatever it takes to preserve the Euro.
Speaker 2: And Billie me it will be enough. We are not here to close spreads.
Speaker 1: This is not the function of the mission of the ECB. Central Bank policy has far eating effects across economies and markets. In a world of global investors, everyone's looking to be first with any new information about what they're going to do or not do next. So here's why we pay so much attention to everything central bankers say. Under Opinion columnist Daniel Mass joins me, now for more, Daniel, have investors always been so obsessed with central bankers and everything they have to say?
Speaker 2: So when John Maynard Keynes was envisaging the post World War II economic order. He foresaw a situation where central banks were at the pinnacle of the globe's economic and financial life. And here we are, eighty years on, we're not far from that. People have always paid attention to what they say. What's different in the contemporary era as opposed to the eighties, seventies, sixties and so forth, is the volume of words that are out there. I mean, these are everyone's central banks. Now hard to envisage today. But did you know up until nineteen ninety four the Federal Reserve put out no announcement when it changed interest rates. It was left to a small group of Fed watchers on Wall Street to discern moves in short term money mark and say, ah, looks like the Fed has tightened or ease. Then there was a revolution. In early nineteen ninety four, the FOMC published a two sentence press release didn't even say what the level of the funds rate was going to be. But as Alan Greenspan later wrote, the intention was to bang a gong, and that set in train a series of events which has led to the era of relative central bank openness that we half. So there's a lot to respond to, and markets are so much.
Speaker 1: Bigger, so we hear a lot more from central banker is but how much do they actually tell us about what they're going to do or what they have done?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the signal versus the noise. I think one of the challenges that people have is that there are so many out there talking. They're not always saying precisely the same thing. Some people are dissenters, some people are looking to push the envelope in the other direction, you know, And it is hard to discern who matters at any one given point in the economic cycle. If you're talking about the Federal Reserve, for instance, really it's the troika that matters. That's not supposed to sound centice that it merely refers to the FED Chair, the vice chair, and the president of the New York Fed. The rest can sometimes matter from time to time, depending on their expertise. And the same thing broadly applies with other central banks. Like if you're talking about the ECB, listen to the chief economist, short, listen to the president, absolutely, listen to France, Listen to Germany, listen to Italy. Some of the small nations will they talk a lot. Do they really matter behind closed doors? I mean, they all matter, but there are degrees to this. So part of the problem is just discerning who's doing the talking and who to listen to. And it's sometimes not just what said, it's what is unsaid. But look, what they say is important. It matters for guiding expectations, you know. After he left the Fed, Ben Bernanki wrote in a Brookings blog, the art of successful monetary policy is ninety eight percent talk, two percent action.
Speaker 1: Do they slip up? Do we ever get information that rates out as didn't want to reveal that they sort of latter out by accident?
Speaker 2: Sometimes there are the little you know, if we were writing a detective story, we were reviewing please lats, you know, a Raymond Chandler novel, for instance, or some of the books subsequently commission by his estate, which say it's that little tell you're looking for, that little tell, that's something that's just like a little bit out of the rhythm. So there's misspeak, and then there are slip ups. Early in his tenure, J. Powell slipped up when he said to an interview or where a long way from neutral people thought were criky. I mean is there a lot more to come? That's not really what he meant to say. So here's something that I like to refer to. So everyone is familiar with Mario Draghi's whatever it takes line, possibly the most celebrated phrase in twenty first century economic history. Okay, but it's what he said after that, you know, that got me really enthusiastic. And it was and believe me, it will be enough. Yeah, what powerful words they turned out to be.
Speaker 1: You've been writing recently about why in this moment, whereasentra banks are pivoting, it's even more important for them to communicate clearly why.
Speaker 2: Part of this is the ghost of transitory. So from say late twenty twenty one through to the middle of last year, we've had the most aggressive hiking cycle in at least a generation, and given the low base from where we started at the depth of the pandemic, probably ever, or at least certainly in the modern era, because there was so much egg on face after the transitory era. And by the way, I'm not trying to pick on J. Powell, a lot of central banks around the world, including in Asia, used very similar words, but transitory seems to have captured the zeitgeist. No one wants to be the person to declare all clear and then have inflation go back up again, potentially a career ending comment. So, particularly right now at this inflection point, as the cycle gets underway, folks are going to be very very cautious about how they're framing it. It's almost like what excuse me, did you cut?
Speaker 1: Or what plenty to watch out for? And making that Jacksonville meeting all the more interesting. Bloomberg Opinion columnist Daniel Mass thank you very much for joining us. You can read Daniel's recent piece on this, Welcome to the Yes Butt Cycle of rate cuts at Bloomberg dot com. Forward slash Opinion for more explanations like this from our team of twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts around the world. Search for Quick Take on the Bloomberg website or Bloomberg Business app. I'm Stephen Carol. This is Here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.