Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, welcome back to Earn your Legion podcast Episode four. Uh time flies man, So yeah, we want to first first of all, thank you guys for rocking with us and you know we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your support means a lot to us. So we're gonna jump right into it. We have a few things that we're gonna talk about this episode. The first thing that we're gonna talk about is streaming, but on a different on a different level. You know, we've covered streaming before, but on the musical side, So now we want to we want to cover it on the content side and talk about two major players in the streaming game as far as shows and movies are concerned, and that is Netflix and Amazon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, we reference them so much that it's only right that we take a look at the business side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So, yeah, we talk about We talk about Netflix a lot because obviously it's revolutionized the way that we consume television.
Speaker 4: You know, it's well more so original programming, because TV that would be we're going to get into that too, but Hulu would be more of a television side, but movies and original content would be like a Netflix, right right.
Speaker 2: So we wanted to talk about it from a different standpoint though, because I want to kind of compare Netflix versus Amazon on the business side. I actually wrote about this on my Instagram a while back, but I wanted to go into depth about it because I don't think people fully understand the fight that's going on right now. To me, it's interesting we try to take a different approach on business and look at things from a different standpoint, not just report what's going on, but look at it from case studies, or look at it from the back stories, or look at it from in house fights and stuff like that. So there's a big fight going on right now between Amazon and Netflix. And just to kind of give you a quick summary, Netflix, you know, was soaring. Their stock was up one hundred and six percent midway through last year in June, and then after that it really started to tank. It was down thirty seven percent to end the year. So, long story short, a lot they have a lot of different issues Netflix, but one of the main issues is that Amazon is coming in and they're putting a lot of pressure on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well Amazon is notorious for that.
Speaker 4: They see somebody's making money up down the street and they're like, all right, we got to figure out how we're en this, and usually we'll get into that is when they come into a space, they take over and dominate the space.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the major players for sure. So last year Amazon spent five billion dollars on their original content for their streaming service. Right, So what that did was that made Netflix up there spending. So they up there spending from eight billion to twelve billion. So the problem with that now is that Netflix now spends more money on original content than any other American television network.
Speaker 4: And they've seen some benefits from it, like their shows have been well received, you know, Narcos and a couple of other things making up a Murderer. They've had great original content, whereas Amazon thus far has struggled with gain traction on some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, exactly. So you have Ozarks, you have you have Narcos, You have a lot of hit shows that are popular that our original Netflix shows, right, And like you said, Amazon, I don't think they really have that one show.
Speaker 3: They haven't had a stand up they.
Speaker 2: Hang their hat on yet. But I think their strategy is more of the long game. So what they're doing is so as I said, they put they so they spent five billion last year, right, So that made Netflix raise their spending from eight billion to twelve billions just to compete. So by spending twelve billion now now they spend more on content than any other American television network. Anybody ABC, NBC doesn't matter anybody. They spend the most. But the problem with that is that they work it on very thin margins, right, so they make very small profit because they're heavily leveraged. So they have a lot of debt, huge amount of debt. So last year that debt went up seventy one percent, right, So right now they have eight point three billion dollars in debt, right, So the problem is that going forward they can't sustain that. It's not sustainable. So one or two things that are gonna happen. They're going to keep borrowing billions of dollars and eventually they run the risk of going to bankruptcy or they raise subscription prices, which they actually already did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like they went from twelve dollars to sixteen dollars depending on your package. So if you've got the four K, it was sixteen dollars. If with that you can have four people sharing your account, it's like they lose money on that too, right, So like we have like I have an account, but there's like a few people that use it, right, and so those people that use my account now are not paid subscribers. So that's an issue that they've been combatant. But I'm just want to go back for a second because you said something that.
Speaker 3: Was really interesting about Amazon.
Speaker 4: One of their models and he Beosos wrote this in his nineteen ninety seven like letter, Jeff Bails. I'm sorry, Jeff Bayals said it in the opening of his company, is that they will They are about long term game. They really don't care about short term profit or loss. And we're going to see how that plays it apart in a company in a few minutes. But like, that's exactly what's happening now, right, we'll play this game with y'all.
Speaker 3: But I know that y'all to.
Speaker 2: Think about Amazon, it's the third biggest publicly traded company in the world, so they have a lot more resources and a lot more funding to, like you said, play the long game, right. They don't have to win this year, or even next year, even five years down the line. They can stretch it out for a long period of time. And if Netflix can't find a way to raise revenue at a faster pace, then they to be screw.
Speaker 4: Because stream is just a part of their business, like that cloud service iseah Amazon revenue.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And then the last one that Netflix has to try to combat this is that they can cut content, so that would save the money, but that'll also compromise who they are, Like they're known for original content. That's why they spend so much money on content. So they have some issues, right. The debt is a major problem for them, and we have to see how it plays out. But it's interesting because Amazon Actually somebody said this to me, and it's true if you think about it. I'm not sure why Jeff Bezos named the company Amazon, but if you think about it, Amazon is the name Amazon means massive, huge, like the Amazon rainforest, you know. So that's really what the company has become, right. They're such a massive company that they they're willing to just spend massive amounts of money take over all the areas, right, whether it's shipping, whether it's books, whether now it's content. So that's really what they've become. They've become just the abominal snowmen. You can't stop them.
Speaker 3: It's like the big bully in business right now.
Speaker 4: And one of the companies that often gets left out sometimes in the streaming is Hulu. Obviously they don't generate as much money as Netflix. I think last say, they did eight point seven billion dollars. But they have a very interesting story. So Hulu for those are not familiar, they do offer original content, and some of the original content is really good, Like The Handsmaid's Tale is probably the most popular show.
Speaker 3: It's won plenty of awards for the acting in it.
Speaker 4: But they have live TV, which the other platforms don't really offer. Right, they can perform a lot. They have fifty channels. If you pay for their subscription, there's au premium subscription. I think it's like forty dollars. But what they do is to combat Netflix, who can't put on content that just happened. So like if you wanted to watch Power, you have to wait for that season to be over for it to even get to Netflix.
Speaker 3: They do it the next day, so they have that advantage.
Speaker 4: But one other thing that we looked at and studying Hulu is that and I looked at.
Speaker 3: Who owns it.
Speaker 4: It's split up between four companies, right, so Disney owns thirty percent, twenty first Century Fox owns twenty thirty percent, you have Comcasts that owns thirty percent, and I think Time Warner owns about ten percent. So you got one hundred percent of the company owned by four majority companies.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing about that is that Disney's going to have its own streaming service too. So like if Netflix thought that Amazon was the problem, they have a big problem coming their way because Disney is about to take all their content, all of Netflix, right, So now they have they have the Marvel catalog, they have all their Disney catalog, they have Star Wars catalog. But they just are about to close on a deal I think the top of the first maybe sometimes this quarter, to acquire twenty fourth Century.
Speaker 2: Well, the interesting thing also is that now Apple's getting in the streaming game. Yeah, so Apple this year they're gonna put as out a billion dollars to their new streaming service. So Apple's interesting because Apple a lot of people. Majority of people have iPhones, right, and the way we're consuming content now is more and more on our mobile devices and not on television. So if you now they have a unique advantage because it's going to be free. They probably factor in the court somewhere in the phone, but it's going to be free. Everybody's gonna have it on their phone, right, like iTunes something like that. So now like how you watch YouTube on your phone, you'll be able to watch the Apple streaming on your phone. So they'll have shows that they just gave Kevin Durant some money for a show that he's gonna put out. So they're putting more into into different shows, original content. But the advantage that they have, like I said, they already have the platform.
Speaker 3: Billions of users.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they already have the billions of people that already have iPhones and iPads already. So now when they put the content directly on your phone, it even makes it easier easier to consume because now you don't have to go to the app, or you don't have to you know, I mean you have an app, but the app is already on your phone. It's not something that you even have to download.
Speaker 4: So so I mean, those are two major competitors that are coming in this lane and within the next year or so. Right, because if Disney goes through with that, I think seventy one billion dollar purchase of twenty first century Fox.
Speaker 3: Of film and TV division.
Speaker 4: Now they own sixty percent of Hulu, right, that's number three in the streaming service. They own sixty percent of that, plus they're going to bring their own content. I mean, that's a goliath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's important too for people that you know are creators, is that right now is a brilliant time to get funding in your programs, right, because it's a race shows. So you have all of these different companies that are spending massive amounts of money and they're looking for original content.
Speaker 4: So like you even that, like some of them are catered toward kids, right, and then some are catered toward the adult population and middle aged people.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be an arms race.
Speaker 4: But one of the interesting things that we the fact that we even have this conversation is that people are not doing cable service anymore, Like people have cut the cord, and like these are the results of that. We can see that, like these companies are existing because people have decided, listen, one hundred and sixty dollars a month for me to watch five to ten channels, it's just not worth it anymore. So, right, So then HBO has their own streaming service, Showtime gets their own streaming service. Right, you can subscribe just to those things now you don't even have to go through cable vision over rising now, So like that's a result of cord cutting that this conversation in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the landscape has changed. Just like I said, we talked about music. Music landscape has changed, but also television TV landscape has changed and probably will continue to be changed.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not a big TV guy, but like, how many channels do you watch when you are watching TV?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't watch that. I watched sports ESPN.
Speaker 4: Like I watched maybe four channels and I pay for seven hundred of them.
Speaker 3: Right, So like this is this is the way. This is going to be the way of the future obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, all right, So anymore to add about that.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, I mean, let's let's say with Amazon, because something that's happening, especially in our area right now, is people are starting to realize that this Amazon effect and what that really is is just like like you said, like they encompass everything. So the Amazon effect really just means a complete domination or disruption of a market.
Speaker 3: And we've seen them do this and companies have disappeared.
Speaker 4: I'll get you there's an example of in twenty ten and your father, I'm a father, there was a company called diapers dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah heard of them?
Speaker 4: No, I know, So diapers dot com pretty much was an online site to help parents you order deliver pampas to your house, and Amazon decided, hey, we want to get in this game.
Speaker 3: We're getting in this game.
Speaker 4: So they decided to have Amazon Mom and their subscription was if you join Amazon Mom, you get Amazon Prime free for three months, plus discounted prices. So like, if you know Prime, I'm a Prime member, you get free two day shipping and you're getting discounted on the on what you're ordering. Right, so whatever whatever Baby supplies it as, let's just say there's diapers, you're getting discounted. So it was maybe forty dollars a bucks now it's maybe twenty five dollars a box. They did that to just combat with diapers dot Com was doing and they saw that they were losing money by doing it. But while they were lo and money, Typers dot Com losing money too because two things that parents always look for affordability and accessibility. Is it going to be affordable for me to get these pampers. Yeah, it's fifteen dollars cheaper and it gets delivered directly to my home in two days.
Speaker 3: I'm taking that route. So they lost money, right, but in the end, Typers dot com get shut down. Guess who buys them?
Speaker 4: Amazon buys them out goodbye, Right, So like just completely come into a space, take a loss, right, but then all right, we'll buy you, thank you, We'll take it.
Speaker 2: Like I watched the Nature Channel sometimes and one of these animals, I think it's either a crocodile or an alligator, maybe both. But how they kill their prey is that they smother them and then they drag them into the road and they just keep going deeper and deeper soil. You can't breathe anymore. Right, And that's pretty much the business strategy that Amazon is doing, right. It just yeah, take you out further and further into the deepen. You can't breathe anymore, and eventually you're going to have to just give up. Yeah, we'll take it over for a minute. But they so they try that again in the home home service.
Speaker 4: Market, Like there was a company called Porch and they were deciding.
Speaker 3: Hey, people needed help doing things.
Speaker 4: If you needed plumbing, if you needed lighting, if you needed anything fixing your home TV mountains. They were providing that service. Amazon saw that and said, you know what, We're going to provide home service. Right, So rather than folding like diapers dot Com did. Porchs decided the only way we're gonna survive is to try to compete with them, just for the short term. So what they did was, you know what, we'll go to your competitor. So they decided, Hey, we're going to go to home Depot, We're gonna go to Lows and we'll partner with them, and that's how we'll keep our business going. So that's another way like, hey, rather than just folding short term, let's just keep afloat until they just say, you know what, you're.
Speaker 3: Drowning and you have an other choice. Yeah, it's interesting. Amazon's in the news now in our area because most people know and if you don't.
Speaker 4: They're looking for a second headquarter and they chose two cities and New York City was one and Virginia Crystal City, Virginia, which is the DC metro area. Yeah, and it's interesting because Long Island City is where it's going to be. And when people think Long Island City, they probably think that is out in Long Island, and we know that it's in Queens.
Speaker 3: So this facility is going to be built in Long Island City.
Speaker 4: But the interesting thing about it is that Long Island City where the site.
Speaker 3: Is going to the construction is going to take place if it goes.
Speaker 4: Through, is one down, one mile down the road from a place we know very well in hip hop music.
Speaker 2: Yeah probably not even well. No Long Island City all right, so Queensbridge Project the biggest housing projects in North America right home of legendary rappers Na Nas, Mob Deep, Molly Ma Pamega and then also run our test yes so yeah, so a lot of it's been a lot of backlash that that will lead to further gentrification of the area. Change it, But Long Island City is already gentified if you know the area. It's an interesting case study that we actually have a whole different discussion about that certification and real estate and things of that nature. But not to stay on this topic for too long, but that's an interesting case study within itself, because you know, I travel and I see different places, not just in New York but all over the world where.
Speaker 3: A lot ernest what's up.
Speaker 4: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the seats are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 3: What matters most ready.
Speaker 4: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work of boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 5: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership.
Speaker 6: Christinome, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest.
Speaker 5: Levels ever recorded, and over.
Speaker 6: One hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day. Imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now you could be allowed to return legally, do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 2: Out of public housing developments were put in prime real estate locations, right and Queensbridge is actually a perfect example of that because if anybody's familiar with New York, so Queensbridge projects is literally right on the water in Queens overlooks Manhattan East River. It's one of the best views that you can have. Yeah, it's amazing. So I'm pretty sure when they were building that they didn't fully think how, yes, exactly how valuable that real estate is. Right, It's one of the most valuable real estates probably in the world perhaps, so they can't just tear down the buildings. So what they did was they just built around it. Right. So if you go there now, you have five star restaurants, you have Amazon moving there, you have million dollar apartments, and you would never know that it's the largest housing project is right in the middle of all of that, because it's kind of hidden almost in a sense.
Speaker 4: And that's part of the issue that a lot of people are having they're saying, look, you're building this one billion square foot almost little town a mile down the street from the largest housing projects in America. The median income is fifteen thousand, right, and we know that when prime real estate comes in like that, what happens to the rest of the real estate that surrounds it. It's going up, right, But that's what the people own, right, the people in Queensbane projects, they're paying rent.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing with that is that so it's it's it's owned by the government. So it's interesting because so in Brazil, right, and the favelas in Brazil, if anybody's not familiar with that, that's like the slums of Brazil, and the favelas were built on hills. Right. So in Rio they have like Christ the Redeemer and they have Epanima Beach.
Speaker 3: So you got.
Speaker 2: So long story short. Now they realize that those hills where the favelas are are actually prime locations because it's overlooking some of once again the most expensive real estate in the world, right, Like it's overlooking Panima, it's overlooking the beaches, is overlooking Christ of Redeemers. So now you have a million, a million and a half people living in slums in the hills who at the time they probably built it saying that we're going to keep the people in the hills away from you know, everybody else. But now they realize that those hills are actually valuable. So now they're trying to move people like five hours away into different locations because now they want to build luxury apartment buildings and hotels in the hills.
Speaker 3: So this sounds like you're making a forecastle. What could happen?
Speaker 2: Well, that's why, you know, we talk about every the world is flat, right, so the same thing that what's going on in Brazil is relevant in New York, what's going on in Chicago is relevant in Africa. So it's so. But it's interesting as far as, like I said, the real estate play in that regard, because gentrification has a lot of different complexities to it. But you know, that's something that I don't think people fully understand how valuable. It's interesting because some of the most expensive real estate is where the poorest people live, and that was done on purpose. So now they realized that, you know, they made a mistake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean the pluses that they're saying that they'll bring twenty five thousand jobs.
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 4: The promise was fifty thousand jobs and twenty five in the DC area, twenty five thousand come to the New York area.
Speaker 3: But the people in Queensbridge are like, that's great, but are we It's.
Speaker 2: Not just queensbridg either.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying like, yeah, how do we do it? So that thing is saying, hey, we'll provide drop training and we'll.
Speaker 3: Offer affordable housing.
Speaker 4: But even affordable housing is subjectives, right, because what's affordable to one may not be affordable to another family. Yeah right, it's not income based housing, it's affordable housing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And like I said, New York is a perfect example of that because not just like I said, not just Queensbridge. You have a lot of different pockets where it was prime location. Look at the Lower east Side, right, if anybody familiar, that's the Lower east Side of Manhattan. And at one point in time that was a very bad neighborhood. Now it's changed because they realize how valuable that real estate actually is. Right, That's that's the that's the thing with gentrification. They realized now that that that real estate is actually valuable, So everybody moved out the neighborhoods got torn apart.
Speaker 3: I think I said that right, Well, he's like, what is our rolling?
Speaker 2: Well, Ti, I was saying that we didn't value the community enough to buy property when it was And that's what even when Jay said, you know, I could have brought a place in Dumbo for two million, he said that same place now as worth twenty five million, kind of feeling Dumbo. So you know, like I said, that's a that's a conversation that we can go on and on about. But it's interesting. And yeah, Amazon's definitely playing a part in coming in and changing the face of the community. We have to see whether it's going to be for the better or for the worst. But only time will tell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will see, man, But I.
Speaker 2: Want to go to something else. The Finity. A lot of times we talk about male entrepreneurs, yeah, and you know, business a lot of times like male driven. But we are not male chauvinists. We appreciate women. We appreciate women entrepreneurs. So I wanted to talk about the cosmetic industry, and I thought, what better way to talk about the cosmetic industry than to talk about, you know, two very successful entrepreneurs on their own which is Rihanna and Kylie Jenner. So you want to just go into that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean it's kind of awkward that they when we talk about the two of them, it's usually in a verse type of situation, right, like Rihanna verse Kylie.
Speaker 3: But it really isn't like there's enough space.
Speaker 4: And there's enough money for everybody everyone to be successful. It's it's like we see that in our music, right. We can't have two successful females like we have that.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing too. Yeah, it's important to understand that, whether it be race, like they can't be too top black entrepreneurs or they can't be two women or whatever, there's enough for everybody. So I don't really even like the because somebody had commented the comparison, and I'm sure it's done in good nature. Yeah, but we just want to look at both of them, right, because they are both very successful, right, and they're both two people that we can learn from.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, Rihanna's company, her cosmetic company, Fancy Beauty, started in twenty seventeen, did some amazing numbers. I think within the first forty days they grossed one hundred million dollars as a company. She had a line forty Foundations of forty shades of Foundation, which was hugely popular. It celebrated diversity. Mimen of all colors, shapes, and creeds could use it. And what's interesting about Fency Beauty is that although it hasn't made the most, I mean it did pretty well, but it hasn't made the most, it's average customer spends four hundred.
Speaker 3: And seventy dollars a year on the cosmetics. Well.
Speaker 2: The thing another interesting thing about fenty is that they're not limited edition, right, So like you know, we talked about that model, Like even if you look at Supreme or like Kanye when his sneakers comes out a lot of times in business, it's limited, right, which leads to a higher demand which you can drive prices. But fenty doesn't have. It's not their business model.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even with that, even though it's not limited, it sells out, like if you go try to find.
Speaker 3: It, but they replenished, replenished.
Speaker 4: But the average person spends more money on their brand than any other brand. So like even with like Kim Kardashian West's line or Kylie's line, like, the average amount of money spent per year is maybe one.
Speaker 3: Hundred dollars less.
Speaker 4: So that shows you that there's loyalty to this brand and people are supporting it because the product must be good.
Speaker 2: And they've done a good job with social media. So there's a company called Cherry Picks and what they do is they track online purchases based off of social media engagement. So they have actually outpaced Kylie Cosmetic, which is Kylie Jenner's company, towards the end I think the last quarter of last year. So that's a big milestone for them because they fairly knew they just started, so they actually outpaced them in that department, so they've they've done a good job. I mean, of course you have Brianna.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I like people are like, oh and obviously we know her from being a great musical artist and like a lot of people like Alan Wisdom new work, and she's been focused on just getting her cosmetic line off the ground.
Speaker 3: She has the lingerie line that she did as well.
Speaker 2: She has a lot of It's like we're talking about George Clooney when he made he made two hundred and seventy million off of the tequila company.
Speaker 3: And then you saw it, right, we had seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made that off of tequila company, and like, well, why is he not acting? Why do you think he's yea, So the same thing with I mean, I'm sure she loved for music. Yeah, but you got a chance to be a Reilly cash out off this. It's like, Okay, music is cool, but.
Speaker 3: Touring is great.
Speaker 2: This is this is different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like I said, it's done extremely well. Twenty eighteen, they reported five hundred and seventy three million in sales, which is interesting when you look at it because when they showed her net worth, Rihanna I think went from like eighty million to two hundred and ten million dollars because of her deal with Fancy Beauty.
Speaker 3: Now, the interesting part about Fancy Beauty is not she doesn't.
Speaker 4: Own one hundred percent of it, and that's something we've been talking about a lot, Like on one hundred percent, she olds a stake in it. The parent company is LVMH, which is really Louis Vaton mot Hennessy, and they are they're a luxury conglomerates, so like they combined, they see value in something will put money behind it, so they own they're the parent company, they own majority of the stakes in it. Whereas Kylie kas medics completely different story. Right, So when Travis is like big Mama color Forbes like nine hundred million, like this is like this woman has a chance to be the youngest billionaire in the history self made billionaire in the history of the United States, like within the next year.
Speaker 3: I think she does it before twenty three.
Speaker 2: So we can't discredit. We can't discredit College John. We're not going to do that. It's been a lot of backlash, yeah, on her, like she's not a self made because obviously she comes from a wealthy family. And of course, but how many wealthy children squandered their parents' gifts, right, So you still have to have some self drive, some business acroman.
Speaker 3: She has a better start, but it is still still have to go somewhere.
Speaker 4: So twenty fifteen, like she starts out with just the lip kits, like that was her company she and that was funded from I think, like she had a milent deal and the TV show had just started, so she's got money from that.
Speaker 2: So she put she's leveraged her social media presence, she's leveraged her family name, and I mean supposed to do that. That's what she's supposed to do like.
Speaker 4: She's getting paid a million for an ad, Like we spoke about her sister a couple of weeks ago geting two hundred and fifty for the ad.
Speaker 3: She's charging a million per ad.
Speaker 2: No, she's not. And she owns a company one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent so they did eight hundred million dollars in sales. Like so if she owns one hundred percent of the company, who she's paying, right, The only person that gets a cut of that is a mom who's the manager. She gets ten percent of you know, all the things that she makes. So she does a billion, mom gets one hundred million. But like you're twenty three with nine hundred millions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing, No, No, it's it's definitely something to marvel at. Yeah, and it's not easy to run a business, especially a business that large, especially that young, right, because there's a lot. I mean, you give somebody, you give a twenty two year old ten million dollars, they might just go crazy. They're not worrying about turning that ten million into a billion right now, you know. So so yeah, I think that both of them are success stories. But I also wanted to talk about an the success story that a lot of people may not have heard of in the cosmetic industry. A woman named Pat McGrath.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of her? So?
Speaker 2: Pat McGrath is a UK citizen, She is a child of Jamaican immigrants, and she's a celebrity makeup artist. So the interesting thing about her is that she's been celebrity makeup artist for years now, and she started her makeup line two years ago and it actually reached a billion dollar valuation last year. So the valuation on paper is actually worth more than Kylie Jenner's company. That's something that to applaud as well, because she's not a celebrity, she's not famous. She comes from humble beginnings and you know she yeah, her cosmetic company is now valued over a billion dollars and like I said, not even to compare it to Kylie, but since Kylie's in the news, you know, we have to use that as framework. But it's actually on paperworth more than colleague generous company. So that's something to keep in mind as well, because you know, we do talk about sports entertainment a lot because it's kind of the theme of the show, but we want to highlight you know, regular every day entrepreneurs as well. People that don't come from you know, sports, entertainment, celebrity backgrounds, and you know, I think that's important as well because it encourages anybody to you know, say, you know, if you if you follow your dreams, then you can do this as well. So cosmetic industry huge, huge, and it has been a huge industry for forever and it probably will will always be a huge industry. So there's always money to be made in cosmetics, in beauty, and we do not have to pin ourselves against each other. There's enough for everybody.
Speaker 4: And speaking on the topic of entrepreneurs that was like one of the questions and a lot of feedback people on the nose, like what does it take to be an entreneur? How what what is that like? And you want to touch on that, I.
Speaker 3: Mean you are, yeah yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, briefly, we'll end it. We'll end it with this. So, yeah, entrepreneurship is something that is not for the faint of heart, and it's not it's not easy. A lot of times, you know, it's glamorized. We see it's becoming very trendy now, it's very popular and it's a good thing that you know, more people are encouraging to go out there and create a business, but I wanted to just talk. You know, a lot of times we have to show both sides of the coin. And you know, think about being an entrepreneur is that it's something that financially there's there's no guarantees, right, Like you you have the same bills every single month, but cash flow is not the same every month.
Speaker 3: You don't know, you don't move your feet, you don't eat.
Speaker 2: And not even that. Sometimes it's not even up to you know, you can do everything right and still not get paid. Things just fall through, right, So it's like you might go two three months without getting paid. Your rent has still get paid, your mortgage will have to get paid, your kids got to still eat, So that pressure is different, and it can be lonely. You know a lot of times people don't fully understand. Like if you work at it a workspace, you know, you have coworkers and things of that nature, so that provides a certain level of social engagement and interaction. But when you're an entrepreneur, a lot of times you're by yourself, and you're by yourself all day trying to figure things out. So you know, it is rewarding because you know, you do have freedom and it can be financially rewarding as well. But it's just important, I think, to keep the mind people like you said, ask the question, like what's the first steps? How do you get started? De really is no first steps of blueprint. You just got to go out there and figure it out, right. I mean, of course you want to set up your LLC, set up your company, do your market research, see you know, have a mentor have a couple of mentors. But ultimately you're gonna have to just jump out the airplane and just kind of figure it out on your own because there is no no set science to it. There's no roadmap or no book that you can actually read that's going to give you the real world experience. Only real world experience is going to give that to you. So yeah, I just wanted to touch on that for a couple of minutes. But that is where at the end time flies. You want to have a final word before we Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just want to say just that honesty that you just shared. Man, Like I watched you go through that process, so like everything is saying is one hundred percent honestly, and you were completely transparent about it. And networking is one of the things you did. And one of the things when I was listening to you was like that was so important. I remember when you started. I was like, Yo, I don't care what you're doing. I'm your first client. And like that's been true. And that network that we have is like important, and it's time for us as a community to like start sharing it, right, Like Pac said, like I got love for my brother, but we can never go nowhere.
Speaker 3: Lets's we share with each other.
Speaker 4: It's like time for us to start sharing resources, sharing knowledge, you know what I'm saying, sharing experiences so that we can all grow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so networking and let's sharing with each other.
Speaker 2: Man, all right, guys? That is episode four. Spread love, Spread spread love. I how you want to spread love? Thank you for rocking with us. We see you next week.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed, data. Sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p o d ka t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need