Speaker 1: Campers, campers, suitt down, sut down, Let's find our seats.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: I hope you all had a RESTful night.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 1: Let's hope today we have a little less excitement than our first diving crew.
Speaker 3: Maybe our captain needs some voting lessons, you're telling.
Speaker 1: Me today we have a very special group project planned to explore the rich history of the coastal oasis. You will be dividing the teams of three to four in tasks with completing a scavenger hunt to uncover signs of the past scattered around the camp, and the team who can find the most relevant and exciting artifact will be given a very special surprise award from mister Thatcher himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jack, So how do we know if these so called artifacts are relevant?
Speaker 1: Let's just say you're looking for anything unnatural or anything that catches your eye. I trust you'll know.
Speaker 4: If you see it.
Speaker 1: Okay, now everyone needs to find their teams and I'll get your packets handed out. You'll have until three pm to complete the hunt. May the best team win.
Speaker 3: Sounds like fun if we actually knew what he's looking for. Avery Morgan with your team, I'm in totally.
Speaker 2: This is a perfect excuse to get a better look around this place. The shore, the woods, the old buildings. There's so much I've been wanting to see.
Speaker 3: So you too have any idea what exactly we're looking for?
Speaker 5: Avery?
Speaker 3: What's on that packet anyways?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it says ancient rocks with ancient wonders. Whatever that means. Seems like you made up a bunch of stuff just to have something written down for us. I don't even care about what this says, though. You need some going to clue us in as to why that you care so much about black beer.
Speaker 6: So you're looking for your own treasure. I guess you could say that seems like looking for a needle in a haystack if you ask me.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, come check this out.
Speaker 2: Holy holy, what is that? Holy? Barnacles?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 2: Barnacles? Those little shellish bumpy things, crustaceans, never mind, just those things lining this entire mini cave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not quite what I was looking at, although those are kind of cool. Take a look in that dark corner.
Speaker 2: See it is that a chest?
Speaker 5: Whoa quick, Avery, let's jump down there and grab it. Morgan. You can keep a look out.
Speaker 6: What if there's a spider crab or something.
Speaker 2: Morgan, aren't you the brave one?
Speaker 6: Not if there's a spider, we've got this. Come on, Avery, here, hand in your Morgan Rob the other side. What is this thing?
Speaker 2: It's our needle in a haystack. Here, hold the sides. I'm gonna grab a rock to try and knock these barnacles off. Maybe we can try and cry it open.
Speaker 1: Hum.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. The treasure Wait, look it's it's a compass. And look at that symbol. It looks just like my swim team logo.
Speaker 2: I was hoping we'd find some kind of helpful landmark, maybe some old excavation evidence, if anything, but a treasure test with a compass. What are the odds? The compass is like nothing I've ever seen. It looks ancient. It has nautical symbols on front and back. I'm guessing these are those swim team logos Jack mentioned, and barely noticeable on the bottom edge there's the old engraved initials E. T.
Speaker 6: Wait, you're on a swim team.
Speaker 3: Too since third grade. You're looking at the front stroke champion right here.
Speaker 6: Jack, Avery and I are both on teams too.
Speaker 5: Oh man, that's totally awesome.
Speaker 6: So cool, Jack, Come on, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Don't you think it's a little strange that we all come from highly competitive swim backgrounds now here we are at this camp and we just so happened to be chosen time and time again for scuba points.
Speaker 6: It's like they're using us or something.
Speaker 3: Hmm, So what exactly do we do? How can we even I prove this theory?
Speaker 2: Let me see that compass again. See these initials E T. They have to stand for something extra terrestrial.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, Come on, Jack, think well, what if E is some kind of cover name for Blackbeard?
Speaker 4: Did we just find Blackbeard's compass?
Speaker 2: That would definitely explain why it's so old and why it was hidden away in that cave.
Speaker 6: And if this compass belonged to Blackbeard, then maybe, just maybe it's pointing us towards something important.
Speaker 3: So are we saying we stumbled upon Blackbeard's compass and now it's pointing towards his hidden treasure.
Speaker 2: It's sure is starting to see him that way. But this would explain the camp, wouldn't it.
Speaker 6: And would explain Thatch, that's for sure. But all of this is just a guessing game. Maybe there's a connection we just haven't figured out yet, like the book the story is about Blackbeard or that excavation guy. We just don't have anything concrete.
Speaker 2: You're right, we have to figure out more about that old book. Guys. Tonight, we need to spread out. I think I have a plan, so just follow my lead. Just get as close as you can to Thatch without being suspicious.
Speaker 5: I captain.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, don't worry, I got it. Eyes on the book, Eyes on the book.
Speaker 2: Hello, Jim, anyone there, Hi there, Jim, It's Jim.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, what why are you here? Aren't you like supposed to be at the bonfire down there?
Speaker 2: Yes, but I was hoping you could help me with something with that.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no no no. I'm I'm just the maintenance gy. Like I'm mow, I clean fix stuff. I just do what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 2: You know, Listen, I need to get to the bottom of something. I really need your help.
Speaker 4: They'll kick you out if you start snooping around too much like that. Is A is a private guy. You shouldn't mess around stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's a risk I'm willing to take. Listen, I just need you to distract that from me. I don't care how flood, the bathrooms spill, the fire alarm in the kitchen. I just neede five minutes, and I promise I'll leave you alone.
Speaker 4: Fine, five minutes, awesome.
Speaker 2: Give me a head start before you call him, and we should be golden.
Speaker 4: Okay, But wait, Avery, just give me.
Speaker 2: A little head start.
Speaker 4: What did I just do?
Speaker 5: In a legendary battle that shook the very foundations of the ocean, Blackbeard and his crew confronted Roberts and his men. Cannon Balls thundered across the waves, Swords clashed in a symphony of steel, and the very heavens themselves seem to weep for the fallen.
Speaker 2: Morgan. Yeah, anything, not yet, then I have a plan. Just stay where you are until he steps away. He's still reading, though. Just wait and you'll see. As soon as Jim ran down the stairs, I knew the plan was going to work. That ran up the hill to the boy's flooding showers, and I jumped on the opportunity. Morgan caught the clue to distract the rest of the campers, and she started telling crazy stories about a food fight that broke out at her school last year. I grabbed the book and opened it up to the first page. It set for Elizabeth Thatch, my beloved daughter. May this lead you to the truth, father Blackbeard. This is when I started to piece together the entire story.