Speaker 1: What's funny is I have all these quotes on my mirror, things that I try to hold in my heart, But every once in a while I'll also write, like a joke, idea, Oh cool, So right now my mirror says like what's wrong with right now?
Speaker 2: If you don't think about it?
Speaker 1: And then like right beneath it, it says plan B pill.
Speaker 2: But for food they have that it's called xlax. Oh my god. Welcome to SNAPO, the podcast about History's greatest screw ups. I'm your host at Helms. Each episode, I'm joined by a guest and we dive into a wacky story from history, and along the way we shoot the shit and wonder why humanity keeps keeps fucking up so badly. My guest today is stand up comedian, podcast host, and voiceover artist, cartoonist. You might know him from his fabulous HBO show Crashing, his New Yorker cartoons, his podcast You Made It Weird, his book comedy Sex God, or the Pete Holmes Show which I just spoiled. Who it is? It's the wonderful and the fabulous, dear old friend of mine, Pete Holmes. Welcome, Pete.
Speaker 1: Happy to be here. And I don't think you broke the rules of an intro. You can do that. You can say from the Pete Holmes Show without being like website blew it.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I think you can, because what you're touching on is performers. Like if you do a gig, which I'm sure you do from time to time, NBC calls in for a favor. They wanted to give a golden chocolate key to Pete and you have to be there. The intro is typically awful and they'll be like Ed Helms is our esteemed speaker, and it's like there's nowhere to go from there.
Speaker 2: All right. You can't say the name first. Yeah, that's always a corporate mistake. You can't unwrap the present for your kid and go and it's a bike. But you're telling me I can't. I am allowed to say the Pete Holmes Show can. But you did it perfectly because you said it at the end. All right, Yeah, there you go. Thank there's like a little oh it is him. I used to MC a lot when I was first starting out and stand up, and I learned that rule very quickly, that like the name comes last, always it doesn't even matter the context. You can be like giving a medical presentation at some the esteemed professor. Yeah yeah, and always well, you know, speaking of MCing and we will get to the premise of this show. But as a Daily show fella.
Speaker 1: I would be mceing and John Oliver was there, and he would say, please, if you say from the Daily Show, say my name right away. Don't say John, oh right, yeah, yeah, and you would.
Speaker 2: Go out to a round say my name right right right away, say John, and then Paul's because I'll think it's Stuart. Yea, oh, that's so great. Here's something that I am not familiar with in your background, and I don't know how significant it is, but I like it a lot. And this is the cartooning, like what is what role did that play? And you did have some published in The New Yorker. So first of all, kudos, that's very very cool, thank you. And second of all, I've often wondered this, in what format do you submit? It's a great question.
Speaker 1: I think at my level, which was the new guy, I would turn in twelve to ten to fifteen finished like pieces because they I wasn't Jack Ziegeler.
Speaker 2: I think if you're Jack Ziegler.
Speaker 1: It could be more of a sketch, and it's like, this is the gag, but they need to see that I could do the art.
Speaker 2: I'd go to the Kandye Nest building. I'd have my roughs.
Speaker 1: Then I would go to the Xerox machine and I would photocopy them with the contrast kicked up, so the blacks would be really black and the whites would be really white, and it would look about a thousand times better. And I would print the caption in the same font that the magazine used in italics, just.
Speaker 2: To make it look like I'm charm Ledge.
Speaker 1: All of that is unnecessary, And I was just, you know, I'm twenty five. I'm looking for like legitimacy. So I made them look as much as I could like a New Yorker cartoon.
Speaker 2: The New Yorker was had a very sort of like meaningful place in my household. This is so cool. My grandmother in Nashville, their kitchen was wallpapered with New Yorker covers from like the forties and fifties.
Speaker 1: It was like Playboy for culture. Instead of boobs. You saw like a story from like a brilliant author. It's like New York.
Speaker 2: The city accepted you.
Speaker 1: I had hundreds of cartoons that I had drawn at that point, and I was like, I've always wanted to submit. I did it for over a year, so that's over five hundred submissions, and they hadn't bought one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the first time I sold one, the cartoon was a guy in therapy and he just has a vacant look on his face and the therapist is taking notes and he says, I think I accidentally suppressed my good memories, which is just so New Yorker.
Speaker 2: Let you laugh a little. It's like a subway.
Speaker 1: Polite laugh and if you're not going to disturb anyone on the subway with this leaf, just a chuckle. And when I sold my first one, I was living in Park Slope. I woke up like super early, it was still dark and walked to the newsstand and bought the copy, like several copies.
Speaker 2: So cool. It was a thrill, a thrill that's so so cool. I'm proud of twenty five year old Pete in that moment. That's really sweet. Well, hey, we got to get into this, nat Foo. I could talk all day about that, I know. And you're amazing your really wonderful career and all the cool stuff you've been doing. But that's a different podcast. Today's SNAFU is an interesting one because I came into it with a little bit of a head start, because I start in a freaking movie about this SNAPHO in twenty seventeen. Now I know you have my entire filmography memorized, So I'm gonna give you one guess with do you know any idea what movie this is?
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna name Ed Helms movies, theeter Rappaz that's like two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: I was in a movie in twenty seventeen called chap Equidic and it is. I didn't know you were in that. Yes, Jim Gaffigan and I sort of play Ted Kennedy's or sort of like the two guys that are that go through this whole thing with him, and it's a tragic, it's a messy, deeply controversial incident from nineteen sixty nine. I mentioned Ted Kennedy. Of course, he's played by Jason Clark fabulously in the movie. I actually play his cousin, Joe Gargan, who we will meet in a bit, And like a lot of snapfhoos. This is just a lot of bad decisions or may then things went terribly Can I.
Speaker 1: Say I'm thrilled. I'm from Boston, so I'm from New England. I don't know this story.
Speaker 2: Oh great, all right, this is perfect and I should and you're gonna have like more like probably some better insight, especially into the sort of Kennedy context, yah being a being a Bostonian. So first, a quick explanation of the word chap Equittic. It's the name of a small quiet island right off of Martha's Vineyard, which is a large island right off of Cape Cod in the great state of Massachusetts. Vacation. Yeah, where in Cape con Or.
Speaker 1: We would go to Cape Cod and we would take the Island Queen, which was a ferry to Martha's Vineyard.
Speaker 2: Perfect, we would just spend the day there. And which town do you remember in Martha's Vineyard? Yeah? Something, Just kidding, Well, chep Equitic's interesting because it's not a town that you that that most people go to, or it's not a town. It's an island and it's and it's it's a little bit off the beaten path. It's chappy to the locals. It's known for its secluded beaches, happy dirt roads, very low key old money summer vibes. It's beautiful and remote and about as far from chaos as you can get, which makes what happened there in nineteen sixty nine all the more unsettling. Martha's Vineyard is a really nice, i think, very diverse mix of vacationers from all different backgrounds. There are enclaves within Martha's Vineyard that are just real old money, like really really wealthy. And then of course chap Equidic has so few homes on it, but it does have a number of but they're more sort of cottagy, and some of that is also very old money, but it's sort of like low key old money, do you know what I mean. It's like the billionaire who wants kind of a wind swept cottage instead of like a mansion. Let's pivot to the Kennedy's here. Of course, most folks are familiar with John F. Kennedy, a phenomenal career and legacy a president, of course, but the youngest brother of the Kennedy family was Edward M. Kennedy nicknamed Ted. Born February twenty second, nineteen thirty two in Boston, Massachusetts. And uh, he was the youngest of nine children. That's right, yes, nine, which is a lot. How many in your how many? How many subjects? You're you're one of two old fat Protestant. Well, it's funny.
Speaker 1: My parents were Catholic. I don't know why they didn't have more kids. I guess after they had ud they were like, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll that'll do. Yeah. But are you the younger? Are you the one the younger? Yeah? Same here, I'm the youngest of three, and I think both we're both both that kid that they're just like, cut it off, cut it off, looking at we can't do like this kid's paying out. We got enough show, we're out, We're done. So the roster of Kennedy kids included Joe Junior, the eldest brother of of course, John F. Rose, Kathleen Eunice, Patricia, Robert Jean, and then good old Ted. Here's a nice vintage photo of Teddy. This is not a childhood photo. I just want to be clear. There's gimlets just off camera.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're trash, pickled onion, Like I don't know this story. And I actually don't really follow the Kennedys, so I wasn't even making Ted loves to drink.
Speaker 2: I think he's also just of a generation that that's sort of where I was going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like pickled onions and little vodka are nearby and cigarettes.
Speaker 2: This was. I have photos of my dad exactly like this. Yeah, of course, and he was trashed a lot, which back then like you just were like, hello, good to see you, Irene.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean exactly like anybody at that level of drunkeness.
Speaker 2: Now you'd be like I shouldn't be here totally. Yeah. Yeah, I don't know how they did it because like the hangovers alone or just like I don't know, I don't even drink anymore, just because I can't handle it because of It's just.
Speaker 1: I have an old joke where I was like in the wild West, for example, you know how they're always drinking whiskey. I'm like, you're in the desert. Yeah, this is why you're shooting each other. You're dehydrated, Like, get some water. That's how I feel about this time. These guys were eating red meat exclusively, maybe a wedge salad covered in blue cheese. That was like, what are you health nutt Yeah, and like seven vodka gimlets and a cigarette before the meal.
Speaker 2: I just imagine how they dissipated. They were all the time. Just a lot of fiber in these diets past the age of seven. None of them had a glorious BM. No, so we gotta keep going. Born February twenty second, nineteen thirty two, Ted was bread for American politics and high society. Now I'm talking Harvard, then a quick stint in the army nineteen fifty one to fifty three, then back to Harvard, then University of virgin Law School. Now this resume is looking very respectable and on brand for society's upper crust at the time. Then in nineteen sixty two, he was elected to the US Senate, stepping into the Massachusetts seat his older brother, John F. Kennedy had vacated after, you know, becoming President of the United States. Did your parents breed you for anything or the aspirations they bred you for? Should I stop using the word breed? So he bred, He was basically bred. He was a third BRANCHI the shadow. You're taking a chair that John F. Kennedy. Well, also their father, Joe Kennedy, was was just a crazy, intense motherfucker. Like there's a there's a great biography on him, but he was like he was a Hollywood producer. He was in them. He was kind of mafia related. And then he became obsessed with sort of raising his children to become sort of citizen activists, policy Titians and tiger Woods.
Speaker 1: Like when you breed a child to like do a certain thing with the Jackson five or whatever like that. It was that level of like you're going to be upper crust basically, it was yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and he saw I think he also was involved in bootlegging at some time, so he was like he was dodgy, but he sort of knew the lane that he wanted his family to be. And he became an ambassador, I think to the UK. Anyway, his story is wild, and he just became this grand puppeteer of Massachusetts politics. So Ted certainly made his time in Congress count as he backed some genuinely consequential causes. He championed the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four, he supported the Economic Opportunity Act to fight poverty, and he helped usher in a national health center system in nineteen sixty six. These guys were very progressive, especially at that at the time, all the Kennedys were people all over liked Ted. He was charming, he was easy to talk to, he was passionate, he was able to forge relationships cross party lines to get shit done. Eventually died in two thousand and nine with a reputation as the Lion of the Senate. That was sort of his nickname because he got so much legislation done over the course of his career. But being a Kennedy, you know, it's a lot of luck, it's a lot of privilege, and it's a lot of legacy sort of carrying you forward. But also Ted lost three of his older brothers, Joe Junior, the oldest, died as a pilot in World War Two in nineteen forty four, which was that was the first Kennedy death. President John F. Kennedy of course, assassinated on November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. Then RFK, who really was beloved and really was like people were so passionate about him and working hard for him, and he's actually his shadows is sort of cast over chap equittic in an interesting way that we'll get to but he was a former attorney general eventual Democratic presidential candidate, and he was gunned down on the campaign trail on June fifth, nineteen sixty sixty eight. So Teddy Nity has lost three older brothers, all to violence, right, I mean, even being downed as a pilot in an a war is a violent demise. This of course led to the Kennedy curse as a concept. People you know, thought, oh, the Kennedys, they're a band named the Dead Kennedy's. Of course, Oh yeah, this is a Do you believe in curses, Pete? Are you a cursed guy or you? I believe in the human mind's obsession with finding patterns. I like that, yeah, but also our ability to kind of like manifest things that we believe are But yeah, with you, you just hit the nail on the head. Really, what we're good at, and I think to a fault is pattern recognition, and we ascribe patterns to things where they just aren't. That's absolutely true, and that could be interpreted as a curse. It is a curse.
Speaker 1: I would actually get incredibly liberal with this, saying it's not just that curses ripple out and change the course of history. Everything ripples out and changes human history.
Speaker 2: Okay, Pete, that's that's too far. You took it too far. Man, Come on, man, what are you talking about? Bro? See you saying that I'm more likely to smoke weed later. That's uh, that's my favorite character, weed smoking gug. After the back to back assassinations of JFK and RFK, Hubert Humphrey took the Democratic nomination but lost to Richard Nixon, leaving the party scrambling for a new identity, and they were ready for another the third Kennedy to step in. There was a lot of sort of ground swell and momentum to just be like, we love the Kennedy's. Let's get Teddy in there. Uh Now, Teddy was He was reluctant, He was not sure about taking the baton, and he admitted, uh, quote, the disadvantage of my position is being constantly compared with two brothers of such superior ability. I love that quot because it does so many things. It's simultaneously like reverent to his two brothers, who were really amazing in a lot of ways, and also it's self deprecating in a sort of cheeky way. And then which kind of lowers the bar for him, and then it also sort of chastises the media for even making the comparisons in the first place. Totally, it's such good writing, and the Kennedy's had the best writers in political history. Ted Sorenson was famously speech writer, wrote a lot of JFK's stuff and then rfk's stuff, and will meet some of the people that worked in in speech writing for RFK in a minute. Take a note, Baldwins. Yeah, there you go, take a note exactly. But a lot of John F. Kennedy's speeches are so famous for good reason. They're really sort of poignant expressions of values and whether you agree with them or not.
Speaker 1: And to the nations of the world, ask not what the United States can do for you, but ask what we, as the world what can do for the betterment of human kind?
Speaker 2: And something like that. I fucked it up. It's close, it's close enough, and by the way, we al forget that. So that was more Mayor Quimby than John F. Kennedy. Show a wait. So this is funny to me. Part of what makes your podcast so fun to listen to, and I think it also makes you such a great guest, as on podcasts, is you have an encyclopedic memory for quotations and citations? And I wonder, and I have the memory of a goldfish, Like I can't remember any I can't even remember the podcast I did last week? And and so I wonder, is there a process to that? Do you take notes? Or is it sort of effortless? Like what is the you know what's funny about that?
Speaker 1: You and I have talked about that before, because I remember it being meaningful, a meaningful compliment to me the last time we spoke about it. It is from effort somewhat. I am big highlighter and I write.
Speaker 2: Things on my bathroom mirror.
Speaker 1: You get white chalk markers, and I write, what's funny is I have all these quotes on my mirror, things that I try to hold in my heart. But every once in a while, I'll also write, like a joke, idea, Oh cool, So right now my mirror says like what's wrong with right now?
Speaker 2: If you don't think about it?
Speaker 1: And then like right beneath it, it says plan B pill. But for food.
Speaker 2: They have that it's called xlax. Oh my god, that's so I'm now I'm picturing your your home is like is very much serial killer vibes with just like writing all over the mirrors.
Speaker 1: You just have to own it. You just have to own that, like that's that's awesome. I'm a crazy person that writes on my mirror.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 1: It's me Goodwill hunting Jesse Eisenberg in the social network.
Speaker 2: And the thing we all have in common is we remember a lot of quotes. That's awesome. I really envy that. Of the two brothers, it seems Robert F. Kennedy had the strongest impact on Ted's political identity. A nineteen seventy two New York Times piece notes that when Ted entered the Senate at thirty in nineteen sixty three, he was bright eyed, bushy tailed, and ready to play ball with the establishment. But by the time RFK was assassinated in nineteen sixty eight, Teddy had veered noticeably left, picking up Rfk's anti Vietnam crusade and, as the Times put it, quote embodying the Kennedy legacy of concerned activism. Now, despite Ted's reluctance at first to be the Democratic Party's poster boy, by nineteen sixty nine he was on a fast track to political stardom, which was no small feat in a year marked by surging counterculture and widespread unrest over the Vietnam War. With his eye on the nineteen seventy two presidential race, he was poised to make a real impact. But first a little vacation. On a hot July weekend in nineteen sixty nine, Ted headed to Martha's Vineyard, a familiar family refuge for the Kennedy's and just a very short trip from their fabled compound in Hyannas Port on kate Cod. It's Hyanna's Pot, the summer white House, as it was called. It was the mar A lago of its day. Oh yeah, it really was. It's sort of I think I feel like mar A Lago Is is sort of a a descendant of Hyanna's Port because you have Robert Yeah RFK place. Yeah, John F. John F. Kennedy did a lot of presidential work from that compound in Hyanna's Port.
Speaker 1: Because what is the one that all the presidents have. It's like a for Camp David Camp David. Yeah, but you know only the hacks go to Camp David.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You got to have your own his ranch, your own now come you gotta have your own. So this particular weekend, Teddy was planning to race in the forty third annual edgar Town Yacht Club Regatta aboard the family boat, the Victurau. He was joined, these are beautiful old wooden sailboats. By the way, we got to we got to do this. In the movie, we depicted the regatta and they're just these gorgeous old uh one design sail boats that that that they had these regattas with. He was joined by former US Attorney Paul Markham and his cousin Joe Garden Gargan. That's who. Jim Gaffkin played Paul Markham, and I played Joe Gargan in the movie. I feel like everything sounds like a cheese Gargan zola. Yeah, Victoria, everybody. That's that's New England for you. That's like, that's white bread New England culture. In just a little background on Joey Gargan, he had been orphaned as a young child. Uh and was was Rose Kennedy. Was was the Kennedy family matriarch. Her sister was Joey's mother, and Joey lost his parents when he was young, moved in and basically was raised as a sibling, but he was on the outside, it's like, and so he became he became a little bit of like the fixer. So he was never quite in the family, but he was like a first cousin and very much in mix. Is very interesting dynamic. So we'll get back to Joygargin for now. All you need to know is that Ted placed ninth in this regatta in Edgar down on Martha's vineyard. This is where things get real interesting. Later that evening, a small gathering came together that included several of Ted's advisors, along with six women who had worked on Robert Kennedy's nineteen sixty eight campaign. These women were known as the boiler room Girls. Now here's I just want to sort of dispel I think what's a very easy assumption here, which is that these are just sort of like a gaggle of like wacky secretaries, like out to have a great time. These were These women were the boiler room Girls, as they were sort of affectionately known within the campaign. These were badass young women and they were speech writers. They were a tight knit team of strategists, staffers right at the heart of rfk's campaign. They were very well educated, they were motivated, and many of them went on to have like phenomena careers. Part of this reframing of this evening is that it's a reunion. They had just lost RFK in nineteen sixty eight. He had been assassinated, and they were all such passionate hard workers on his behalf, and of course it was all very traumatizing, and this was a This was a little bit of a reunion from that team that had worked so closely on his campaign, and a chance to say thank you from the Kennedy family. I'm not saying that maybe hormones weren't also a part of it, but I just I just want to just dispell Yeah, I just want to dispel the sort of easy assumption that this was like a bunch of like powerful men with like a bunch of floozies, kind of like having a crazy party. These were all very accomplished people. So the group met at a cottage a small ferry ride from Martha's Vineyard on chap Equittic Island, a quieter, more secluded spot. It's right across a narrow channel from Edgar Town and it's accessible only by this very small ferry that the fairy holds like two or three cars, like it's a it's a tiny little flatbed fairy. The mood relaxed, drinks, a cookout, music, dancing, just a summer night with friends and again a chance to reconnect after this like very traumatic presidential campaign they'd all been through. Are you getting a bad feeling yet? Yeah? I was going to say, you're doing a good job.
Speaker 1: And I love my level of knowledge for this because I don't know what's going to happen. I just know that you're doing something that people who are telling stories about bad things do, which is giving me a lot of details, a lot of MP And these women weren't good women, had working women, and I'm like, what happens to those women.
Speaker 2: Let's introduce one of the boiler room girls who will become very central to our story, Mary Joe Kopecney. I think it's not only important to understand why she was at the party, but also to really honor her life and work. She Mary Joe was born. That's that's a tell right there. But before where are we get there? Mary Joe was born in Pennsylvania in nineteen forty. She's raised in New Jersey and later spent time in Alabama teaching as part of a civil rights project. She volunteered for JFK's presidential campaign while in college, then worked for Florida Senator George Smathers before joining rfk's Senate office after his nineteen sixty four election. Smathers actually recommended her Smathers great name. I mean it's like a sitcom name. Yes it is. Smathers actually recommended her to RFK, noting her strong admiration for the Kennedy family. Ethel Kennedy later recalled Mary Joe being the one who stayed up all night writing Roberts nineteen sixty six Vietnam speech. Again, these are not These are badass young women. Mary Joe went on to serve as a speech writer on rfk's nineteen sixty eight campaign, and of course became part of the boiler Room Girls. Then, in September nineteen sixty eight, Mary Joe was hired by Matt Reese Associates affirm that managed democratic campaigns nationwide. She was now a political organizer and damn proud of it. Those who knew her described her as talented, industrious, and wholly devoted to her work. I think it's a valuable to reflect on the promise of someone like this, like's she's so like to be a speech writer in your mid twenties for like a presidential candidate. I think in the same way that you and I felt. I don't know when I was doing starting out in comedy in New York City, I was drunk on this world. I just loved. I'm so thrilled to be a part of it. It was all the things that I'd seen on TV and want And then suddenly I'm in New York City and I'm seeing my heroes and I'm on stage like in the proximity to them, and it's very I think Washington, d C. Is very similar for a lot of people, a sense that like, these are very aspirational people, the candidates that we admire. And I'm not taking a strong stand on the kendidates. I do admire the Kennedys, but they are controversial. But someone like Mary Joe Kopecne, who very much admired the Kennedys and wanted to help their cause, is suddenly not only in the trenches with them, but like really having an effect on rfk's campaign in such a cool way and in her twenty that's amazing, Yeah, in her twenties. But it's to me, that's the version of that that I know is like SNL writers in their twenty.
Speaker 1: No, you're not wrong. Politics is show business, and I'm not saying that. Sometimes people say show business to disregard it anything that's about perception and public speaking. It's all performing. It's a performance. And she was in a way like a writer for S ANDL. She was writing in a very powerful public way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when Mary Joe received an invitation in the summer of nineteen sixty nine for this reunion with her fellow boiler room girls and a few of the other advisors and staffers, she jumped at the chance. Now, unfortunately, Pete tragedy awaited. Okay, cut to the next morning, July nineteenth, nineteen sixty nine, two young fishermen discovered an overturned black Oldsmobile submerged in poucha pond. Now, I'm gonna say poucha pond in the movie, I think we said poucha pond. I'm not positive sport. Yeah, this car is submerged and it's upside down in the pond. Now this is a title pond to be clear. So there's current that goes in and out under this really low bridge. These fishermen they see this car, they call the police, Chief Dominic Jim Arena, who arrived and called in a local diver, John Ferrar, to jump in and investigate. Now, inside the car they found the body of Mary Joe Kopecney, deceased and very likely drowned. No evidence of illegal activity was found, but the car was determined to be registered too, and he guesses ted Ted Kennedy. The car was registered to Teddy. Holy shit, so she drove his car. Well, it's interesting you say that. Why was Mary Joe and Ted's car? Who was driving? And why the fuck is the car flipped over upside down in this pond? Okay, great Gatsby? Who was driving? To answer all of these questions, let's go back to the night before July eighteenth, nineteen sixty nine and walk through what we think happened. Now, the timeline we have comes from a mix of sources, police reports from that weekend, contemporaneous news coverage, lots of subsequent news coverage, and sort of like looks back and reflective reporting. Ted Kennedy's own statements in the days that followed, and a judicial inquest that was conducted in early nineteen seventy. I just want to be clear, even with all of that source material, the full picture of the Night of chap equittic and part of the reason it's so locked into the American political consciousness is that the full picture never really came into perfect focus. There are gaps, there are contradictions, there are lingering questions, which some of which we'll get into. But I just want to reiterate, even though this reconstruction that I'm going to share with you is fairly widely accepted and it's what we depicted in the movie, it does remain very controversial and there are a lot of people. There's a lot of conspiracies around it, and there's room. Unfortunately, there's like room for conspiracy because there there are open questions. So let's get into it. We're at the party in the cottage. Exact times are disputed, but sometime between eleven PM and one am, Ted and Mary Joe departed the cottage in Ted's car. Kennedy would later claim that he was driving Mary Joe back to the Edgar Town Ferry, but they were going in the opposite direction. So now chap equitic Is is a is a rustic We shot there for the movie, and so I I this is firsthand. It's a it's a it's dirt roads, it's it's it's uh, it's very it's just a lot of open space. And so it's easy to have made a wrong turn theoretically.
Speaker 1: But what we don't turn was it where they I'm picturing it like MAUI like, if you're not going towards the airport, you're going the other way?
Speaker 2: Is it like that? It's hard to buy that he made a wrong turn.
Speaker 1: Unless this is some unless it's trash disturbed. How quickly you can come up with a lie, it's because it's like this sniving I would have been a good publicist.
Speaker 2: It's like, maybe.
Speaker 1: He's with this young lady. They're enjoying themselves. Let's take the scenic route. Let's go the long way, because if you're on an island, there is no wrong turn. There's just a longer way to where you're going.
Speaker 2: No, not this way like this, No, not not this particular road. The way that they were driving was towards a beach. It's a dead end, basically, I mean, it's a long road and it goes along, but to get to the ferry you have to literally go the opposite direction. Okay, so yeah, okay, so he seems to be lying. But it's a very rural feeling place, so there's not a lot of landmarks and so forth.
Speaker 1: But they're going to the beach to maybe smooch a little bit with respect.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't think that's an unfair assumption, but we just we don't know. At some point while they're driving, the car veered off of this small dyke bridge and the car flipped over and sunk upside down into the murky waters of pouch Upon below. To be clear, this was a low bridge with absolutely no guardrails of any kinds. Here's a photo of it with some spectators after the accident. Okay, yeah, I don't like this bridge. Yeah, that that bridge. Obviously it's very easy to veer off of. I don't think any of the vehicles we're seeing are the actual vehicle that that flipped, that went off the bridge. Yeah. So Ted recalled quote struggling as the water flooded the car and quickly submerged him in Mary Joe, And the details are still unclear on this but ted somehow escaped the car, and he claims to have made repeat efforts to rescue Mary Joe. In his statement, he basically admits to driving the car, but his rescue attempts were unsuccessful. And here's where our man Teddy starts to make some really bad decisions. Instead of going to the police, ted walked back to the cottage. Once there, it is believed that ted told Joe Gargan and Paul Markham what had happened. Now. What's interesting is that, according to Joe Gargin's later testimony in the inquest, Ted only said the car has gone off the bridge down by the beach and Mary Joe is in it. He did not say I drove a car off the bridge passive voice.
Speaker 1: Yes, in American history, the car is in the water.
Speaker 2: Yes. Now this this speaks to a post one one theory as to a possible uh like version of the story that Teddy might have been trying to start to build, which is that he wasn't even in the car. So immediately Joe, Paul and Teddy go back to the bridge, and Joe and Paul ripped down and they dive in and they make multiple attempts to save Mary Joe. Obviously they were they were undiscovered her body, right. Yeah, Now I can tell you in shooting the movie, we recreated that. We we were on a set in a giant water tank in Mexico and they built this bridge and they submerged a car upside down and Jim Gaffigan and I jumped off the bridge and is in the middle of the night and swam down to a car. It's like three or four feet under the water, but it's upside down, and we tried to look in the windows of the car and you know, basically perform this what what's happening here? And I can tell you it was so terrifying, even under the most controlled circumstances like diving into dark water and uh and looking into a car expecting to see a body. It just is like so unnerving and to find your good side and you're like, wait, now, am I being framed? Yeah? And uh, and I'm and and and by the way, the version I'm doing is fake and these guys are doing it for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is interesting because you said rescue, they're clearly jumping in.
Speaker 2: They don't know. There may have been an air pocket. Pete we'll get there. Yes, hold on, it gets crazy. So afterwards, Joe and Paul told Ted that he needed to inform the police. Interestingly, Joe first recommended that Ted call his administrative assistant, Dave Burke, and also a lawyer close to the family, a man by the name of Burke Marshall. So a couple of Burks, a couple of Berks. Yep, okay, so yes, definitely tell the police that this woman is dead in a car acident. Make sure you call your lawyer and your assistant first. According to Joe Gargin's testimony, Ted told Joe and Paul he would quote take care of it, and urged them to go back to the cottage and not upset the girls with this terrible news. Yet, at this point, it's so late at night, there's no ferries running. Kennedy allegedly swam across this narrow channel back to edgar Town, and Joe and Paul, of course, are believing he's going to the police report this. Who did them? Teddy? Teddy swam back to edgar Town? Shut up? Yeah? Yes, And so I mean, this is this, This is the account that we're going with. It's not that far. It's like a couple. It's maybe like a couple hundred yards. I'll swim in, yeah, he says, And it is, and it's a lot of people do swim it. It's not that insane. It's not like rough open water. But he's in like a suit. No, he's in beach attire. He probably stripped down to his shorts. Who knows, but I and he's staying. Remember his hotel is in Edgar Town, so that's part of what I mean. He's got clothes waiting for him over there. He's headed back to Edgar Town, and Joey and Markham believe that he's going to tell the police. Now. Back at his hotel, Ted did not report the incident. He later claimed in court that he was up all night kind of like in this fever state, hoping that Mary Joe was somehow still alive, like in denial. Hotel staff claimed later that Kennedy, this is very interesting. Kennedy made a noise complaint at three am about like some revelry going on in another room, and that the following morning he was seen very casually having breakfast with some people in the hotel restaurant. Now, this is all very interesting because it sort of it starts to feed this idea that perhaps Teddy was trying to establish that he was yeah, that he was like that he never was even there, and that he was actually an Edgar town and so like, now he's on the record at three am making a noise complaint. You can see how this this kind of starts to feel like he's building an alibi, but it's also sort of like the worst possible post incident like way to handle this. So then Joe and Paul show up at Ted's hotel at eight thirty. They find him at breakfast, fresh as a daisy, like you know, showered and like all wearing nice clothes, having just a chipper breakfast with some other people. They asked if he'd reported the incident. He had not, so they drove him back to Chapiquittic. You know, this took the ferry and now at this point the car has been discovered by the police. After trying and failing to reach Brooke Marshall, ted quote fully realized what had happened and he came clean to the police around ten am. That was Kennedy's language in his police statement that he quote fully realized what had happened. Over ten hours later and a big breakfast. Sometimes you're just not yourself until you have your coffee. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: So this seems like an open and closed like he did this. He's in a very powerful family, and a lot of people are going like, maybe this didn't happen. We're in this island, maybe we can clean it up. I think that's probably what makes this story so compelling. Is we all have this like devilish instinct where we're like, or maybe I just keep driving, you know, like that sort of thing. These things happen all the time, hitting runs and all that.
Speaker 2: Sort of stuff. So we had a guy going, oh, no, I was driving.
Speaker 1: I was drunk. Maybe we were going to the beach to fool around. There's lots of bad things happening. We don't know any of that. But she dies, and then he spent a good while talking to everybody except the police.
Speaker 2: Can I get out of this?
Speaker 1: Which I think again is what makes us a good It's not a ghost story, but like a ghostly kind of story is.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait, would I do that?
Speaker 1: Would I also try to cover my own ass, Like we go very quickly to like this person is dead. Nothing is going to bring them back, ted, you know what I mean, like so we can protect you.
Speaker 2: Like it's like I'm not saying that is wrong. And that's that old adage that like this was clearly an accident, right, and had he come clean immediately and like gone straight to the police and and and respond, stuff didn't happen until way later. They would have tested him for alcohol.
Speaker 1: But back then it was like send Yankee, doodle dandy, Yeah, right, smoke this cigarette.
Speaker 2: Now, tell me your mother's name. He's so good, he's got coffee on his breath. He's so here's the thing. Police flagged a number of his inconsistencies in Kennedy's account. Deputy Sheriff Christopher S. Huck Look Junior reported seeing a dark, seemingly lost car the night before, only to later realize it was the same vehicle involved in the accident. He placed that siting around twelve forty five am, which is ninety minutes after the time Kennedy said the incident occurred. Notably, this was long after the last fairy stopped running. So I guess the implication is that maybe Kennedy changed the timeline to make his Oh we were driving to the Edgar Town Ferry story like more plausible because because in real life the time they were driving, the fairy had long stopped running. So interesting details to mention here. The New York Times report confirmed credit card records tied to that night showed calls from the cottage and hotel to Kennedy's family, lawyers, and staff. Other reports indicate that seventeen total phone calls were charged to his credit card that night. In addition, the purse of one of the other boiler room girls, Rosemary Keyo, was in the car for some reason. And here's a really interesting detail, no autopsy was ever performed on Mary. Joe Kennedy's team. Kennedy had called this guy, Dunn Gifford came and basically took the body right away, flown to Pennsylvania for burial, just almost immediately before local officials could really even request an official examination. So unsurprised. And there's you'll hear why that's even more controversial than it sounds. It seems like cut and dry how she died, it's not so unsurprisingly the news of the incident took America by storm. Would Kennedy be held responsible and would the real truths ever come out. On July twentieth, nineteen sixty nine, just a day after Mary Joe Copeckney was discovered in Ted Kennedy's oldsmobile, two gentlemen by the names of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped onto the lunar surface of our very own moon. Have you ever ever heard of those guys? Yes? Yes, so with those steps, so too did they absorb most, if not all, of the news coverage about what happened to chap Equittick. Serendipitous timing for Ted and his team, of course, but that only lasted for a short while. After the moon landing coverage subsided, chap Equittic became front and center in the media. On July twenty fifth, Ted Kennedy pled guilty to leaving the scene of the accident that was his only charge, and received a two month suspended jail sentence and the loss of his driver's license for one year. That's it. That's it. The same day, he delivered a statement on TV to his constituents, and interestingly, the author of this statement, Joe Gargin, presumed we had was trying to have strong influence on it in a way that would sound like he was taking more responsibility. But most of what Teddy said in this statement was actually written by Ted Sorenson, the same speech writer that wrote so many of JFK's incredible speeches. So listen to this. Listen to this quote from Teddy's TV statement. I remember thinking, as the cold water rushed in around my head that I was for certain drowning. Then water entered my lungs and I felt the sensation of drowning, but somehow I struggled to the surface alive. I made immediate and repeated efforts to save Mary Joe by diving into the strong and murky current, but succeeded only in increasing my state of utter exhaustion and alarm. My conduct and conversations during the next several hours, to the extent that I can remember them make no sense to me at all. Wow, it's so that's another Just conceit. Just be like, yeah, makes no sense. I don't get it either, guys, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: But you know again, maybe I would have been good in like a crisis management team, because that is valid. It's like, concede the point. All of my behavior after that fact is completely irrational. I was in an a rational state. Oh that's what I could have been a lawyer. That's what a lawyer would say. He was completely in shock. His friend had just died, he tried to save them, and then from that state of confusion, he's swimming back to his hotel.
Speaker 2: This guy is not okay. Obviously that statement is very kind of obtuse, and the question remains, did he take responsibility at all for his actions. Here's another quote I believe from later in the same TV address. Although my doctors informed me that I suffered a cerebral concussion as well as shock, I do not seek to escape responsibility for my actions by placing the blame either on the physical and emotional trauma brought on by the accident or on anyone else, so he said, which is a way of saying yes, I am yes, right, But it's a way of saying I'm not avoiding. It's like sort of stating the negative without stating the positive. Which is another like very savvy bit of like linguistic. It's like linguistic jiu jitsu.
Speaker 1: That's like textbook how to say the opposite of what you're saying.
Speaker 2: You have lots of these kinds of incidents in your past. This is why you're such an expert on this is why you had me on. Just can't stop whoopside doodling. So this is interesting. There was a lot of pressure on Teddy Kennedy after this incident to resign from Congress, as we've seen so often with these kinds of scandals, like there's always a big outcry, especially from the opposition, but even from within his own party. A lot of people thought, like, this is insurmountable. You really fucked up. It's time to like resign. But here's how he handled that. He ended this statement with a very curious appeal to his Massachusetts constituents. While considering whether to resign from Congress over the accident, he asked them to quote, think this through with them. Though he acknowledged that the decision was ultimately his, he asked whether they believed he should remain in the Senate. So he sort of kicked it, he punted it to the constituents, and it turns out his strategy was successful. His constituents did want him to stay, and he kept his seat in Congress. He did announced later that he would not run for president, as had been the plan in seventy two. Well, that's a little suspicion, which part I guess.
Speaker 1: What I'm looking for is what is the alternate narrative, Like if he said, Okay, I'm not going to run for president, that sounds like somebody that's like, I don't want to drudge that up, right, I don't want you to look at that more closely. I don't want you to throw that in my face. Maybe investigate more that that makes it seem like there might have been foul play, but I still don't see.
Speaker 2: I think what the sort of like Kennedy Inner Circle or Camelot as it was known, like what I think what they were afraid of? That scrutiny would bring a lot of clarity to just how terrible this was handled. I see, this is my take on it. I just like Teddy was was very selfish and very irrational and was clearly avoidant. And that's I think a generous takeaway like if not, if not, you know, because there's a version of this where he's fully guilty of manslaughter, right, the unintentional killing of Mary Joe, especially if he had been drinking and all sorts of things. So had he run for president, there would have been even more scrutiny. There just wasn't the support for him to do that. But he's not quite out of the limelight yet. District Attorney Edmund Denise requested a judicial inquest into Mary Joe's death, which occurred in January nineteen seventy. The testimony in this judicial inquest is a lot of what gives us the ability to construct a narrative here. They spoke to hotel staff, they spoke to obviously Joe Gargin and Paul Markham. Kennedy gave a statement. It's almost three hundred pages of testimony, and they spoke to the police and all the local folks, the diver. The judge wound up determining that the likely cause of Mary Joe's death was simply negligent driving, which a lot of people think that this judge was just participating in the institutional urge to sweep this under the carpet. Yeah. Yeah. Numerous theories have floated around over the years about possible other explanations for what happened that night and why Kennedy waited a full ten hours to report the fact that Rosemary Keyo's purse was inside the car made some wonder if Rosemary and Ted were in the car together on their way to do some canoodling, perhaps, and that they didn't realize that Mary Joe was asleep in the back seat. In this version, of course, the car would have crashed, both Rosemary and Ted would have escaped, and then Mary Joe would have passed away. I don't think a lot of people believe this, but there are the owl theory in the staircase. Yeah, there's just all of the evidence for this is simply that Rosemary's purse was in the seat of the car. Another version of the incident, pitched in the book chap Equittic Revealed What Really Happened by Kenneth Keppel, claims that Ted accidentally rammed the car into a tree while he was intoxicated and thinking that Mary Joe had been killed, submerged the car in the pond with the help of Joe Gargan and Paul Markham to avoid prosecution. I think this theory is insane because it's it'd be virtually impossible to flip the car into the pond on purpose. There's even speculation in Leo Demo's best selling book Senatorial Privilege, which is a very exhaustive account of all of this. That speculation is that Ted tried to loop Joe Gargan into a plot to tell everyone that Mary Joe was just the driver of the car alone and that Ted wasn't even in the car. And this one, this version, I think has some like there are some things that lend a little credence to this version. For example, Teddy going back to the hotel and trying to establish that he was at the hotel by calling and making a complaint about noise and that sort, and then like pretending the next morning like everything's fine, right, and basically like establishing witnesses to say, like, what Teddy was at the hotel the whole night. So this is an interesting one.
Speaker 1: And what they do in succession is they say the remember Kendall killed.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, yes, if you weren't driving, he was driving, Like, yes, exactly, weren't even there? Yeah, So I think this is an interesting theory. A reporter Jack Anderson also claimed that Ted actually asked Joe at one point to take the fall, which Joe Gargin emphatically denied. None of these theories are provable right there. We just don't know what really happened outside of the testimonies of the people involved. All these rumors aside, was there any justice served well, The Kopechne family did receive approximately hundred forty thousand dollars in settlements. According to some reports in nineteen seventy four, it was paid in full by Kennedy's auto insurance. Other sources claim it was paid perhaps in part by Kennedy himself. Of course, there's no amount of financial settlement to a family that can right this kind of wrong. Ted would try to run for president one time, only in nineteen eighty when he bid for the Democratic nominee against Jimmy Carter, but he lost. What's complicated here is that Ted would go on to live a long and very productive life. As a Massachusetts Senator, he helped usher in countless pieces of vital and substance of legislation. He played a major role in advocating for reforms across healthcare and education, civil rights, and immigration. According to the United States Senate website, he authored over two five hundred bills, several hundred of which became law. That's insane, I mean, that's just an epic political legacy. After he passed in two thousand and nine, President Obama said of Ted's legacy, quote, for five decades, virtually every major piece of legislation to advance the civil rights, health, and economic well being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts. That same year that he died, Ted released an autobiography where he confirmed the incident remained a burden through his whole life. He wrote, and this is a quote, and that this is wild to me. This quote is really interesting. He says, that night on chap Equittic Island ended in a horrible tragedy that haunts me every day of my life. I had suffered sudden and violent loss far too many times, but this night was different. This night, I was responsible. It was an accident, but I was responsible. Wow. Does that feel like he took responsibility? I mean it's he's literally saying I was responsible? Is it too little, too late? I don't know where, do you? Yeah? It's look I like it.
Speaker 1: I like that there's some ownership there and given the time, Like that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Right, It's so heavy, it's hard to joke about.
Speaker 1: But there is something about saying something just as you're leaving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, Yeah, it's there's something the part that's the part that feels like he's not responsible, that he didn't take responsibility. He said the words right and and but you know he was on the way out. It's a schedule's email from a dead person. Right. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Clearly he was haunted by it, I believe when he's like, I was haunted by it, and it seems really I think the I'm going to say it again, the fascination with this story is because we all know we have the capacity to be so self centered and so self serving.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you would.
Speaker 1: Who wouldn't use their money and their power and their influence to get away with something that's again what they did on succession.
Speaker 2: We love stories like this. Yeah, yeah, I just want to just tell our listeners if you're interested in the story, there's some really great resources out there. One is a podcast called cover Up that People Magazine did with Cadence thirteen. It's hosted by Liz McNeil, and it's a really deep, like multi episode dive into this. She talks to a lot of people who were there. Yes, she talks to a lot of primary sources if you will, like people who were actually there or involved and uh, and it's fascinating and and it doesn't necessarily clarify a lot, but it does give you a much deeper set of uh uh of information. I'm not I'm not trying to make uh but the but the podcast does make a splash on how no, but that's great. And then of course the movie Chap Quick rock Bottom really come on. So uh and the movie is good. The movie, I'm very very proud of it, and it's very good. And uh, I don't even think I mentioned uh Kate Mara yet. She plays Mary Joe Kopecney beautifully and very movingly. I think it's a very strong depiction that's rooted in a lot of what is sort of more consensus take on this narrative. But again, it is all very controversial. Now here's the last bit of controversy. I'm at least a diver. Yes, So, John Ferrar, the diver who recovered Mary Joe's body, testified in court and maintains to this day that he believed Mary Joe survived in an air pocket within the car, possibly for as long as thirty minutes before suffocating. In other words, had authorities been notified immediately, she may have been saved. This is so so grim. The idea that Kennedy's delay may have been the reason Mary Joe didn't survive.
Speaker 1: Look that that very well, I sound like a Laurier. That very well may be true, But what is he basing that on.
Speaker 2: He based it on the position of her body in the car that she had and that she had found an air pocket in the footwell of the car, and.
Speaker 1: Again that he was right there. And how do you know that wasn't thirty seconds of air?
Speaker 2: I mean, these are knowable things, like the volume of air. But then the other thing is that the I mean, this is really dark, but there was like scratching on the inside the footwell. And he believes that she had that she had positioned her body in such a way as to like swim upwards and had accidentally found this air pocket, which then kind of like disoriented her and prevented her from actually swimming out of an open window. And this is why the lack of autopsy is so critical, because the autopsy would would have told a lot more detail about how she died, whether it was this lack of oxygen from like you know, the air pocket running out, or drowning, both of which have different effects. On your lungs. Anyway, that's the story. It's obviously very insane. It's been really fun to have you on this podcast.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I always embarrassing you, even if it's I mean, this is a dark this is a dark one.
Speaker 2: I took you down a dark road. No, I know it's good.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting I can see why it resonates and has echoed into the public psyche because it really is. It's like a telltale heart kind of story. It's a story about like guilt, shame, privilege, power and what you would do to save your own ass, which is always always interesting, and then the ramifications of that. So it's really interesting. I do think that Diver couldn't have possibly known that she was a life for thirty minutes. That's just something you say to Getting People magazine.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it. Shots fired and thank you so much. Ma man.
Speaker 1: I really love doing this. And you're far more handsome than I even remember, and you're always as funny as I recall. This is snafu where I take the get.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm doing that, Pete. Tell us something where we can see you or what's happening with you right now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. This is not a plan I have it. This is my first kid's book right here, spells to cast on your parents. Unfortunately it's not in here. This is my daughter drew in here. But I made so I still do art. I did the art and the words for this. It's a book that obviously the kid gets to cast spells on you grown up that's reading it.
Speaker 2: So it's a funny book and a silly book. We know it was all chat GBT, but but keep going. This is one hundred percent human made. In fact.
Speaker 1: You know how in kids book they kids books, they say the medium do you ever like look like it'll say in the fine print the medium that they made.
Speaker 2: The art in. I've never noticed that, and I've rendered that. I've looked through books and like wonder, like oh, this is clearly just or like yes, look on the copyright page. It'll be at the bottom and ours.
Speaker 1: I did the art in my book in tape, in masking tape, different colored tape and sharpie and uh and I wrote at the bottom of it. And this book is one hundred percent human made.
Speaker 2: Isn't that weird? That's very very cool?
Speaker 1: Oh my oh, I got my light. My special is on YouTube. All you have to do is type Pete Holmes into YouTube. It's a website and the special is called Silly Silly fun Boy. It's my newest hour and I'm very, very proud of it, and I'm so happy people are finding it for free. Tell watch on YouTube.
Speaker 2: That's so badass. Congrats and I can't wait to see it. I hope you like it. Thank you for having me, but thank you, pet It's been a goddamn delight to have you. Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snapfo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and The Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson, and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Klein, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Atoor. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.