Speaker 1: Hey fam, Hello Sunshine. Today on the bright Side, we're diving into a topic that's so real for so many of us, people pleasing. Okay, so joining us is licensed therapist, relationship expert, and author doctor Kathleen Smith.
Speaker 2: She's here to show us how.
Speaker 1: To break free from the people pleasing trap and take control of our lives. And get this, She's revealing a surprising reason you might be a people pleaser. It could have something to do with whether you're the oldest or youngest sibling.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, January twenty second.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boyce, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine. Okay, listen, I don't like to exaggerate, but today's show could literally change your life. We are talking people pleasing. We're talking about how you can recognize it when you're doing it, why certain people are drawn to it, and truly what you can do starting today to stop the people pleasing cycles. Siman, do you feel like you have any bits of the disease to please?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 3: I think it's impossible to be a human being and not have this desire to people please. When I think about my twenties, I feel like I was a people pleaser my entire twenties. I straightened my hair to please people. I wore its height, uncomfortable clothing to please and also appease the male gaze. I even chose my career path based on stability, and I feel like that's kind of people pleasing society at large in a way.
Speaker 2: And then even getting married.
Speaker 3: At twenty three years old was a people pleasing move in a lot of ways. There's a lot of pressure to get married from such a young age. If you grew up in the Christian Church, you kind of know what I'm talking about. And I look back and I'm like, who needs to get married at twenty three? Like, no one, that's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you mean about your job?
Speaker 3: I think I definitely entertained other options, but I landed on journalism. I landed on this one because I felt like it was going to be the most stable.
Speaker 2: That's something I've never heard anybody say media, it would be the most stable. What was the other option? Circa Sole?
Speaker 3: I wish that sounds great. I would love to I would love to be a Sarca Sole performer. Maybe it's not too late for me. How about you? How where are you at with people pleasing right now?
Speaker 1: I actually feel like I'm at a really good place with it right now. But I couldn't have said that years ago. I actually think therapy really helped me because one of the things about people pleasing is that, in short, it's really about avoiding conflict, right, And so a lot of this is about deep rooted habits that are hard to change. But the good news is that a lot of it is just about recognizing it, and so is so many great therapists say just noticing is helpful in taking steps towards change, and I think therapy helped me notice things like I so feel aligned with what you said about your twenties.
Speaker 2: I think age has helped me with people pleasing.
Speaker 1: I remember dating this guy when I was twenty one and he was a little older than me, and because he was older, I thought everything he liked was just the coolest.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, been there.
Speaker 1: Right, And so he told me about one of his favorite albums, and I went home. I pretended I knew what he was talking about, and then I went home and binged the whole album and googled cultural criticism about it, so I could like really be in the know.
Speaker 2: And I think when I got into the.
Speaker 1: Corporate world or the news business, like that morphed into smiling or laughing at terrible jokes in the office. Or I've had bosses say like really uncomfortable things to me and I just kind of brushed them off because I didn't want to make things awkward.
Speaker 2: For sure. And I think, do you consider that people pleasing?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I think it's just.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, it's like, whether it's people pleasing or whether it's adhering to cultural norms, it's still the same type of behavior. You know, it's not wanting to rock the boat. And I agree it's something that i've I think it's been easier to shake as I get older.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you're listening and you're thinking, I don't know if I'm a people pleaser, let me throw a few things out at you. If you've ever helped a stranger move furniture at Ikea, you don't work there, but you carried that flat packed shelf like you were getting paid, people pleaser? Okay, have you ever over shared at a networking event? You let someone's casual? How are you turn into a ten minute monologue about your life? Because you didn't want to seem rude. People pleasing. How about agreeing to babysit pets you're afraid of? You ever said I'd love to watch your snake? Just kidding, But maybe you've watched somebody's dog or cat and you don't really want to. That is people pleasing. So we are going to dive into it today.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm really hoping our guest today has the solutions, and I really believe she will. And here's why. Doctor Kathleen Smith is an expert in relationship systems and the author of the books True to You and Everything Isn't Terrible. She's also the woman behind a very popular newsletter called The Anxious Overachiever, which provides relationship tools for those of us who are constantly on the verge of burnout. Danielle, I'm bummed that I missed this conversation, but I'm really excited to hear this one.
Speaker 2: I know I'm bummed you missed it too.
Speaker 1: We missed you, but I am excited to have Kathleen Smith here with us today to help us break our people pleasing habits, or at least notice them. Here's my conversation with doctor Kathleen Smith, Doctor Smith, Welcome to the bright side.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Am I talking to.
Speaker 1: A people pleaser, a recovering people pleaser. Where are you at on the spectrum of the disease to please?
Speaker 4: I am such a good student of other people and what makes them happy, but a tremendous superpower and a terrible liability.
Speaker 1: Also, I'll admit to you, I'm in the process of recovering from people pleasing. I'll never forget when I heard Oprah talk about it for the very first time. She called it the disease to please, and I remember her giving an example of what it was. And her example was basically that someone would call her and ask her for a favor, and she thought, because she had the means or the opportunity to help, that she had to help.
Speaker 2: And she didn't want to let somebody down.
Speaker 1: And I resonated with it so much, and I thought, oh man, maybe I have this.
Speaker 2: Does it affect almost the whole population?
Speaker 4: It does? I mean, obviously it varies, but it is the most human thing about us, because we're built to cooperate and get along with each other. That's why we beat out the Neanderthals and so many other species is because we are tuned in to what pleases people, and you shouldn't beat yourself up about what's the most human thing about you?
Speaker 1: I think, I think to start the conversation off, I'd love to know what the actual definition of people pleasing is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the definition I use is accommodating to keep things calm, not necessarily happy, but just how do you adjust how you react to people right in a way that brings the tension down because we are so allergic to that tension and we will contort in any number of ways to avoid it. And so that's all I think of people pleasing.
Speaker 1: When you talk about that tension, all I think about is childhood because to me, the origins of people pleasing seems like it starts so young.
Speaker 2: Is that what your research found?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: I mean you kids pick it up between adults, between parents, right, and they do things to mediate right. They pick it up between their siblings. They learn what pleases the teacher and makes the teacher happy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I was definitely a teacher's pet. I had some that going on.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 4: All we encounter other humans and we learn calms things down very quickly, and then we use that skill into adulthood.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the word cooperation.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious what the line is between pleasing and cooperation, because I guess that's a question I ask myself a lot, because I do want to be a good friend. I do want to be a good family member, a good community member, and sometimes that requires doing things, showing up to things that you don't necessarily want to do, but it's really beneficial to the relationship. You also don't want to lose yourself in the process. How do you describe that line? Yeah, I think I loved your description.
Speaker 4: Just now. That's how I think about the biggest dilemma of being human. You have to go along with the group. Sometimes you can't have it your own way all the time. And yet there are moments where you have to say, I don't think that way or I cannot do that for you, right, And so every day is a negotiation between do I shift and kind of go with the group, or do I I make a move out on my own. And I think the biggest thing to me is it's like, is it coming out of your best thinking or is it coming out of the anxiety or the tension?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Are you just trying to keep things calm as quickly as possible and make people happy, or can you kind of shift out of that a little bit?
Speaker 1: That's interesting, So because I love thinking about like questions to ask yourself when you feel this arise and it's am I doing this to keep the peace? Or am I doing this because it feels like it's in line with my values?
Speaker 2: Is that what I'm hearing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the sort of the how do I make decisions? What's going on when I when I make a decision or when I react to something. How much of the front part of my brain is involved in that process? And how much is not right? Because most of the time we're on autopilot, we're just reacting, and that's okay. But if you can find one or two moments in a day where you can really stop and say, what do I think is the best way forward?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 4: You see the opportunities maybe to kind of not people please or test out the theory that maybe you won't die if you say no to but to somebody, which your body can really trick you into believing.
Speaker 1: The first thing that comes up for me is invitations or coffee meetings. That's like what I'm currently struggling with right now. I'm a person who really values connection. It's at the heart of my job, my personal value system. And at the same time, I'm so pulled, like stretched too thin, exhausted, can't even if I want to attend all the things or meet all the people, can't do it. What are examples that come up in your work all the time? I know that's so specific to me. I'm curious about other examples that happens with me too.
Speaker 4: I get emails from people who say, can you look at this writing I'm doing? Or can you talk to me about your profession?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: All these great emails from college students I get, and I have to think about whether I say yes or no? Right, And I think that just goes back to being honest with people, you know, whether that's saying something like you will not get the best version of me if I meet with you right now, so I'm going to have to say no. And how is giving people your thinking useful for them? They might not like it, right, but it's helpful. Yeah, And it's a great workout for you too. I think also as a therapist, you know, I have to really think about how many hours a day can I really be useful to people, And if I try and fit in another person, is that really helping them or is that me just trying to avoid their upsetness in the moment?
Speaker 1: Right, So you hit on something that I'm so curious about, because when we think of people pleasing, we think of selflessness. I think that's like one of the first things that comes up. But I'm almost wondering if it's less about selflessness and more about self protection, because are you really doing somebody any favors? Are you giving of yourself if you're not showing up in the best way or you don't actually want to be there.
Speaker 4: I think that's such a great question, and I sort of phrase it as am I being helpful? Or am I managing my own stress? And that can be a form of self protection certainly, but I think ninety percent of the time it's about dismanaging the stress of having to be a person who has to make decisions, you know, And that can be helpful because then you can realize, no, it's not about letting somebody down. It's about recognizing that I have to do something else with my stress. Then just say yes to everybody that that's ultimately not effective way to manage it over the long haul.
Speaker 1: What's the overlap here between people pleasing in boundaries?
Speaker 4: People get so focused on how a boundary is received, and I think the same thing can happen with people pleasing right. The focus is all on the other and how they're going to react. And what I challenge people to do is, can you shift the focus back to yourself? And to me? A boundary is telling somebody, here's what you can expect from me, here's what I will do if this happens. Here's what I will not do for you. And that's incredibly useful information for people to have, right, because then they can make a decision based on what you're telling them, right. And so I think that connects to people pleasing in the sense of are you really lying to people if you tell them you can meet with them, if you tell them you which is telling them you have energy for them, you know? And so how was that not honest and upfront and not a good way to represent yourself.
Speaker 1: What's coming up for me is a line that I heard Glennon Doyle say. She said, be a model, not a martyr, And so she particularly says it in relation to motherhood because moms are so often supposed to be selfless or feel the need to do for everybody else before themselves. But it's like, if you give and give and give, is that really the model that you want your children to see, etc. And oftentimes that's that's just not the case. I was trying to think of examples of people pleasing. I think avoiding conflict falls in there, like not giving somebody your opinion to keep the peace. Taking on extra work so like volunteering for tasks or agreeing to do stuff that you really don't have time for.
Speaker 2: Does a emotional labor fall into this category.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that's a way to be over involved with people as to assume they can't manage their their own distress, which they can to a degree. But yeah, I love those examples because I'm always thinking about what am I teaching the other person, the system, the workplace by how I respond. Right, If you're always people pleasing or I use word overfunctioning, right, then the system reorients itself around that. Right there is it is going to operate under the assumption that you've got it. And so if you start to manage yourself differently, you are teaching you know, your partner, the workplace, your friends that you're beginning to operate in a different way and they can adjust accordingly and so, but you have to give people those chances to adjust. If you're always tiptoeing around them, they never get the practice of handling you, which maybe they can, maybe they'll surprise you right right, But we keep teaching them that the opposite is true, that they can expect us to take on a lot, And why wouldn't they do that if they know you're going to pick it up. It makes total sense that they would function that way. So you have to ask, what's my part in all this? If you're taking it on.
Speaker 1: We're taking a quick break, but we'll be right back with doctor Kathleen Smith.
Speaker 2: And we're back. What is the toll of people pleasing?
Speaker 4: A couple of things. I think First, your own sensitivity to disapproval goes up, Like it's that much harder to stand in the face of somebody being upset with you, or somebody not giving you praise or attention. You get more sensitive to it. I think also you more quickly abandon your own beliefs and boundaries and ideas just to kind of please the other. And I think those two things can happen very very quickly. And I also think you've just got the physical and the emotional burnout as well. You might just get sick or you know, or very depressed or something else, because if you can't consciously step back, your body will kind of make you have to do it.
Speaker 1: I'd like to understand some of the reasons why people become people pleasers, and you talk a lot about the Bowen theory in your book. Can you explain what the Bowen theory is and how it helps us understand why we can become people pleasers?
Speaker 4: Sure, so, I'll give you the short version. This guy named Murray Bowen. He was a psychiatrist. He was sort of the father of family therapy. Family therapy was really big in like the sixties, seventies, eighties, and he had this really interesting idea that humans, we do not think that we're animals, like we somehow see ourselves as the exception to all the rules that govern the natural world, like how does an ant colony operate? How does a flock of birds operate? Or a troop of chimpanzees? Right, But humans are social creatures, and so we have to get things done as a group and we also have to manage tension as a group. Right. When people talk about anxiety, they tend to talk about the diagnosis what the individual does with it. But groups have anxiety and tension too. Bowen had this idea, there are all these ways that we recruit other humans and vice versa to keep things calm in so you have to look to your relationships too to see sort of how you predictably function. Because we get our systems, our families, your friend group, we get stuck in these patterns of operating that take a toll, right, They keep things chugging along until the wheels sort of fall off the wagon. And so his big thing was, like, how do I stay in relationship with all these other humans without getting stuck in these very predictable patterns that you also see in the natural world too, other animals doing some of these things because they're living creatures and people pleasing is one. It's not one of the concepts in the theory, but this idea that you kind of overfunction for somebody or over accommodate them, and you lose a little bit of yourself in the process. Ye, that's one of the things we do, and it's so common.
Speaker 1: Well, no, that's fascinating because that's at the heart of everything you're talking about in your book. And I love the idea of not just thinking what's wrong with me, but looking at the systems in place, because oftentimes we're just a product of those systems, and it's those that we have to question. How does birth order play into all this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Bowen refers to it as sibling position, But same thing, right we all you know, obviously there are exceptions. Not everybody who's an oldest child is going to function like a stereotypical oldest child. Maybe it's the next one. But for a lot of us, I'm an only child, so you can take a wild guess about how I function. I hated group projects in high school. I'm not a great team player. I just want to be left alone most of the time. Right, And there are assets to our sibling position, and then there are deficits, right, right, And so part of like growing up is like how do I move around the field a little bit and get comfortable in other positions? You know, if I'm always the one who's very comfortable being the leader, directing everybody taking it all on, can I look for opportunities to just be a participant in something, to let my friends figure out what restaurant we're going to eat at, because which is very difficult to do if you're the one who usually kind of rounds everybody up, right, right, And so what I love about the theories just every day is an opportunity to see how you get a little bit more flexible and move a little bit outside of whatever is typical for you. Whether that's people pleasing, whether that's avoiding everybody, whether that's letting other people do everything for you. We all have our challenges.
Speaker 1: So for people listening who may be feeling like, okay, some of this resonates with me, maybe some of this doesn't.
Speaker 2: What are the signs that we are people pleasing?
Speaker 4: I think pick a day, go throughout your day and notice everything you do that is an adjustment to the other. Right, Like if your spouse or your partner asks you to do something that you know they can do for themselves, they're just being a little lazy. Can you think about whether you want to do that or not, or whether you want to say, you know what, I'm not going to do that right now, why don't you go get it? Or even like writing no worries in an email. This is something I do all the time?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Is it really that? Isn't really your job to let somebody know you're not upset with them, or like, can you just end the email and then they can manage their own feelings about whatever is? You know, just those small ways that we are constantly monitoring and trying to manage everybody else's reactions to us, because you'll find so many if you just take a day and so have those goggles on.
Speaker 2: It's true, you know.
Speaker 1: I think one of the great distinctions you make in this book is the difference between being relationship oriented and valuing relationships.
Speaker 2: Can you walk us through that difference?
Speaker 4: Being relationship oriented is being always focused on trying to control how others are reacting to you. So, how much energy are you putting into getting attention, approval, praise from others? How much are you trying to be what you think people want you to be? How much are you trying to get other people to be what you want them to be? It can go both ways, right, how much are you Let's say you're in the shower, you're trying to fall asleep at night, you're on your way home from work. Are you replaying conversations wondering if people find you annoying or what you said was ridiculous? You know we all do this to some degree, But can you shift that and say, what do I actually think? How do I think that meeting went. Did I do a good job? What's my own evaluation of myself? What do I think is an important way to spend my day? How should I live my life irrespective of what this influencer says or what my parents say. Right? Any more self you can add into it, you are probably going to have better relationships with people because all of that anxiety is not being directed at them while you're anxiously monitoring how they're taking you in Right, it's hard for a relationship to flourish when people are so focused on each other like that. So it's not about not caring about others or about what they think. It's about dialing down the intensity a little bit so you can actually get to know somebody.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you said the word anxiety, because that really seems like it's at the core of a lot of people pleasing As a therapist, what are some productive ways you've seen people manage their anxiety within these relationships.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think really looking for opportunities to test out whether something is actually threatening or not. Of course, there are situations in life where situations that are threatening you should get away from certain people, right, But where are the relationships that are probably going to survive and be Okay? If you say no, I can't do that, or I think about this differently, I don't agree, right, And so over time your brain and your body learn to reevaluate how scary, how threatening a situation is. So I think the people who can pick and choose and say, Okay, here's where I'm going to do the scary thing today, let's evaluate, let's see and then lo and behold like their friend could totally handle it, right, or their boss wasn't upset that they were they needed to go home and they couldn't do that one more task at the end of the day. Right, Most relationships will survive and actually do better. But you have to be able to test out that reality and prove that the fear is is not real, it's just imagined.
Speaker 1: What are some signs that the relationship is doing better?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think if you're focusing and ruminating less about what the other person is thinking, and you're just able to enjoy yourself. You're able to talk about what's interesting to you. You're able to be more interested in the other person, that genuine interest that's different than the anxious monitoring. I think that's a sign that things are calming down a little bit and you can kind of be more more present as yourself.
Speaker 1: As I'm hearing you share that, I'm thinking, Oh, so much of this is a muscle. Some of this is a mindset, But I think the more you practice not being worried about being liked, the easier it gets.
Speaker 2: How much of this is correlated to age.
Speaker 4: I think it can kind of work both ways because people, Yes, there is this idea of people sort of just caring less about what other people think as they get older, But people also can kind of get stuck or their social circles can also shrink as they get older, right, And so it can work a little bit both ways.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but I do.
Speaker 4: Think that our brains have the advantage when we're older. There's all this interesting research about how teenagers literally cannot distinguish between what they think about themselves and what other people think about them if you ask them those two different questions. The brain scans show up exactly the same. So these poor kids, it's really hard for them because how they're being perceived is almost literally how they see themselves. Right, But as we get older, that kind of separates a little bit, and so to me, that's an increct correct. I feel bad for the teenagers, but you do start to kind of see the difference as you get older, but you have to test it out.
Speaker 1: It's time for another short break, but we'll be right back to our conversation with doctor Kathleen Smith. Stay with us, and we're back to Wellness Wednesday with doctor Kathleen Smith.
Speaker 2: You do so many interviews and.
Speaker 1: You're just incredibly accomplished, particularly on this topic. What's a part of this that people don't ask about enough?
Speaker 4: I think that people don't make the connection to the natural world. I mentioned that earlier with Bowen and looking at other animals, and one of the examples I given in the book is just how creatures are hierarchical. Right, They look to higher ranking like elephants have a very rigid hierarchy, right. Chimpanzees do too, right, And there's this famous research study where these researchers trained higher ranking chimps in the troop to pick carrots instead of grapes as a snack, which is not what they like. They like grapes. I do too, I'd prefer that to a carrot, right, And all the lower ranking chips are watching them like what's going on? Why are they eating that carrot?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And then when it was their turn, they pick the carrot also because they defer to the higher ranking members of the troop.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And so that's just such a helpful example for me because it helps me not be so hard on myself when I am focused on what pleases my superior What are these more famous people doing? Right? Because we can say where we have certain beliefs, you can say I don't subscribe to diet culture, but then your favorite celebrity talks about something that they're doing and you're like, oh, I need to go go do that, right, It's so automatic for us. Yeah, And so I think just looking at other examples in nature, like as humans, we are unique in some ways but and others not so much. And how does cutting yourself a little bit of slack when you shift into people pleasing or worrying too much about what other people think of you. How do you just remind yourself, Oh, yeah, I'm a social creature. That's like telling me to stop doing that is like telling me not to breathe. Right, You can adjust how much, but it's always going to be there to some degree, and that's okay, And so I think that that's helpful for people to hear because the trend in pop psychologies don't do that. Why do you care so much what other people think of you? As if that's like a switch you can turn off, but it isn't.
Speaker 1: If you grew up in a family hierarchy where the disease to please or people pleasing is prevalent, what's something that you can do today to start veering outside of it? So it's like a subtle move. What's the question to ask yourself today?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Where is your energy going into managing others?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Women in particular can be bad about checking in with people to make sure they're not upset with even though there's no evidence that they are right, And that's, I guess a nice thing. But how much energy do you put into that that doesn't give other people the responsibility of letting you know if they're upset with you? Right, which is you know, kind of on them. I call it my tentacles. I'm like, where are my tentacles going to go out and try and manage other people's lives reactions to me, making sure they're okay with me, making sure they don't think I'm a jerk or whatever. And can I reel those back in or pull those back in and put my energy elsewhere? Yeah, and so I think of that sort of the checking in with the other The reassurance is it asking your partner, are you sure you're okay with me? You're sure you're not mad? We're good? Right? How much of that do we do? I think those are just kind of the best, small, subtle ways to start, because then you have to eat the distress or do something else with it. Right, then get the other person to manage it for you.
Speaker 1: For anyone who's identifying with this and is looking for more guidance, you write a really popular newsletter. Where can listeners find your newsletter for more advice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on substack. It's called The Anxious Overachiever. You can look there or my website is. Kathleen Smith writes, I consider myself an anxious overachiever. Maybe one day I'll be an anxious achiever or a less anxious achiever but still working on it. So yeah, I write about all this stuff every week.
Speaker 2: Over there, Kathleen, this has been so illuminating. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh great, it was fun.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kathleen Smith is an author, licensed therapist, and expert on relationship systems. She also writes a newsletter called The Anxious Overachiever.
Speaker 3: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, we've got another edition of shelf Life. Author Maureen gou joins us to talk about our new book and Reese's Book Club, winter Yapick Throwback. Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Voice and at danielle Robe.
Speaker 1: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: See you tomorrow, folks. Keep looking on the bright side.