Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club. Morning. Everybody is Steve j n V. Just hilarious, charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest.
Speaker 2: In the building. We have comedian Ali Cid.
Speaker 1: Welcome, brother, man. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: You feel it.
Speaker 1: I'm good man. Man.
Speaker 3: Where you from?
Speaker 1: Houston?
Speaker 3: Houston? Okay, okay, all day, all day, man. I like the way you distribute your comedy. Man like you. You you dropping specials like little wings, to drop mixtapes.
Speaker 1: And they all funny. Yeah, thank you all. Going to Independent route keeping the independent. You know, I'm from Houston. We the capital of Independent. You know, ain't nobody coming out that way to look for us. We just got to do it. That's right after trunk, Wrap a lot, after after Trump, That's right. Yeah, everybody always say rap a Lot. I think that's our only label too. You know, we have some other labels, but you know they ain't stick around. You know, we got what we asked, right, you know. And then after that you you have the indipendent, you know, switch a house for sure, but wrap a lot is the is the staple. Absolutely, they should have did a comedy a comedy thing. We tried laugh a lot, but it didn't. It didn't stick.
Speaker 3: J Prince. J prince reputation precedes him. But he's a funny guy.
Speaker 1: He is. I've done I've roasted J Prince a lot. How was that that? I think that we have a healthy respect for each other. You know, the last time I wrote, I was hosting something, and it's not like I'm roasting him at a roast. This is me hosting something. I'm like, yo, man, so you got all these bodyguards. It was him and Floyd next to each other, like somebody bodyguards got to take off because can't nobody see, like, who's gonna jump on you next to J Prince? You see, I'm like, and he's small, he a small little look. You look at a lot of dudes around though, Yeah, I know, and I know most of them.
Speaker 3: So when did you know when to quit?
Speaker 1: Did you do?
Speaker 3: Did he point the fingers?
Speaker 1: I don't never quit. He just I've on him for so long. It's just he just so there as well. You're talking to me today, like, yeah, I don't never say nothing topect me, don't. I don't need Chief and Steve to come talk to me in the corner. Hey let me, I mean, I let about you about the ball, said, man, Now I know.
Speaker 3: You from Houston. I don't know nothing in people. I'm about to write them names down.
Speaker 1: Chief and them them the guys like you see him. Then it's the dudes that you see around him. But them, not the ones. This is the the second layer. You gotta go to the second tier to see that the actual dudes who gonna do something got you, got you in the front of me and them, the big dudes like, oh, them the ones that did. He's like, nah, it was Chief and Steve.
Speaker 3: Are you supposed to be saying this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Old news. Now everybody knows Steve.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, how'd you get in the comedy?
Speaker 1: Man? Just being black? Really? You know, I've been funny since I was a kid. You know. I know people trying to think I was funny because I was inson, But nah, I was jovially sarcastic in prison. They was just I was the kid, the kid on the back of the bus. And then when I was in prison, I was the same way. Oh so y'all about to fight? Okay, who's gonna lose this fight? Twice? What you mean? I said? Because Okay, the mixplay one of y'all gonna win this fight, and then the CEO is gonna come in and beat up both of y'all. So wight. So that was my logic. You know, I was just I was just a sarcastic, jovial, sarcastic person, and when I got out, it was the It was the goal. It was definitely the goal. And that became funny how I even got to start doing the goal because you start comming to you actually don't know what to do. You've seen it, but where do you go now? You got to go to an open mic. I knew I needed close. That's what I definitely knew I needed was closed, because you know, comics always dressed, and I'm coming out of prison. I had at my my my sister sent me a Sears, little Sears outfit. You know, it was a little it was a little shirt from Sears. It was nice at the round tables. I knew that was from Sears and some khakis of the round. Man, it's a fake polo. My daddy bottom, My dadd bottom with polo is really in style. He came. Then I found these polos on discount. I said, man, that is not a polo man. That is a dude with a flag. And it's only you know, the Knights of the round Table only have three legs on that horse, the horse on they had three legs. Man.
Speaker 2: You know they got a store in Time Square. Nice. Then I was like, who's shopping in that?
Speaker 1: But and they and it was probably packed. N You never want.
Speaker 5: Nice around about the Polo Association.
Speaker 1: No, that US Polo Association is different. That's a that you can find them a lot of places. But that Nice of the round Table, you get them at Palace Royal. It's it's it's you don't want them, Okay, it's a polo man. He got the polo stick. His legs is horse has four legs. The nice of the round table. The man has a flag and it's halfway down and the horses missing legs. Same shirt not made out of the same fine cotton.
Speaker 3: But you're wearing now you know how to put it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can put the thing together now, you know. Back then the kids knew it's like coming in with with Adidas with four stripes. Damn. He's like say, say, I don't think man, no, these no, these these really Adidas.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're not quite case. It's like, do you remember Jams Jams?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: I old you forty five, man, I'm fifty. You don't you remember Jams?
Speaker 2: We had no Jams.
Speaker 1: Y'all had the colorful shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I had Jams.
Speaker 1: I had like the netting.
Speaker 3: Side of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you had the ones who didn't have the net Yeah, those are nothing. I know you're talking about. That was the brand name. You know. You can look at my they was jams. Kidding played warm. No, that's when you had money.
Speaker 3: Yes, about the basketball shorts, they would kind of like basketball short, but not really like a little fanny pack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a pack. Yeah, it's the ladies like swim trunks almost more so like swim trunk more like. But if you ain't had that nettim, they knew that there was not the one it was. It was not the one. You know, it's you know, it's closed. It's a lot of knockoff clothes. Now. It's like like and I can tell like if you have the little bit time bag and your your straps never changed color, that's not the real. But it you know, it's like I saw a lady. It's a it's a it's a grocery store. First of all, I don't I don't even have to name in the grocer store. Just no, it's a grocery store. And she works in the grocery store. But she had the forty eight hundred dollars lou of Tome bag and she's walking into work and I was like, Nah, ain't nowhere in the world this lady working in this grocery store and she bought this She bought this bag. I just bought that bag from my mom. I know. Definitely a lady who's a cashier cannot afford that bag. But in her mind, in her mind, it's like my brother and my brother got some ear rings and this is that only seen three people in the world with him. It was saying Oprah or Kelly when he was out and Dinah Ross and he got him in his head and he I'm like, so man, I told him, say, yo, you need to take them them fake it rings off? Mean what fake it rings? See, this is the problem with you is that you owe me forty dollars, but you think that I think that you got ten thousand, right, You're a crazy person.
Speaker 3: I don't even know why people do that, Like what's the point of fronting?
Speaker 1: Hey, what's the what's the saying fake it till you make it.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that. When I was young, I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: I don't believe it. Then because of the knights of the round table, she knew that knew that CIRT was fake. I'm just in there looking crazy. My daddy said me, pressed, I'm like this, My daddy bout this. That's your only excuse, my daddy bot prison.
Speaker 3: That was your first out of prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my first shout of prison. Okay, a nice round table six years.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 1: I used to be a street pharmaceutical rep, which very from very front. Like they when you sell drugs, they want you to have a jacket, go to like a CVS or Rite aid or somewhere. People come in with prescriptions. I was, you know, shortcutting it.
Speaker 3: What kind of drug was drug?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately? Crack? Okay you said the age said? You said, okay, like that.
Speaker 3: Was that was was just ahead of your time.
Speaker 1: Marijuana. You know, I got fouting up, went to jail for marijuana, is like, and they and they knew it was wrong. They're like, man, this don't even make no sense. It's a leaf. Now what I did was definitely wrong, you know, like with this and and I'm still sad about what I did. If you look at the epidemic now, you you realize that you you contributed to this in some form of fashion from what you were doing in the in the early late eighties, early nineties, and then the spin off of these drug induced children that came from the product of those people who you infected with that chemical.
Speaker 3: You complaining about the crack babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this they this day spent off and these kids take everything. You know, you know, generations, we had certain things. You know, you had the heroin, then you had weed, then you had coke, then you had cracked. But these kids, A man put it on the table. I'm doing all of it at once, crush it up. Just put in a ball.
Speaker 2: Host ex hero and hey, that's one.
Speaker 1: That's that's at noon. And I still I still got weed and drank and I'm a snorting little thumb. I made you. I don't know what I'm doing all day, Like, hey, what is called rolling? They and I don't I don't want to do it. I don'tant my kids doing it. I don't want I don't want people doing it. The fact that you only got six years back then is is because they were giving people football numbers. Who got six years D six? I had six on the I did six on the fifteen. Wow, And I had a fifteen and a ten that ran concurrent.
Speaker 4: I said, so they said you only got six.
Speaker 1: I said, g man, no, you mean somebody. No, I didn't know nobody. I knew real Harris, my attorney. First. When I first went in, it was a fair case. And they spect too. They come in there were just gonna give you three hundred months. And in your mind they stay like that, yeah, three hundred months, And in your mind you're like, okay, three hundred months. That ain't that ain't nothing. But I know math, and I'm like, nah, nah, you know three hundred months twelve Nah, we carried nah. So they because they said it months would sound like you can do it. Three hundred three hundred months out of it sound like days. But then when you do go to calculating. So then it got dropped down the state right in the state. The lady came in and she was wild and the prosecute. She said, well, I'm recommending ninety nine years.
Speaker 2: This is when ninety nine years.
Speaker 1: This is the thing heavy, how much crack you got on? Not only but it was five keys, right, So the thing is that Jesus, The thing is that I'm they're not supposed to let me in court because I'm gonna say something. My attorney at he wasn't talking fast enough. He's like ninety nine years. And I said a very derogatory word to her that later, and I asked her who she thinks she caught. I'm like, man, I am nineteen. Who you think you caught? Ma'am? Esketball like, So we come back to court again, got reset off. She's talking about I think sixty years would be appropriate. Man again, ma'am, like, you want me to have a life as it is? So rio my attorney real hair, big shotut the real hairs. He he would in there, did what he did, and he came back. He said, man, I almost got you ten. I said, I almost got to meet ten. What happened? He said, your your cage started at fifteen, but you had to take fifteen, the lowest number. But I got that other team because I was on Judiford probation. And so they ran it concurrent and the crazy when they gave me the ten and the fifteen. My girlfriend at the time, she's gonna she's gonna faint in court because she's thinking it's twenty five years she's gonna. I said, are you really back there doing the movies?
Speaker 3: Respect her, man, respect.
Speaker 1: Respect man. Listen that lady, that lady eighty five thousand dollars in one and fives in the trash bag in the house. Ask her how much? Asked me how much she sent me? While you're talking about she and their faint that dollar not a not a dollar. But now, my my extra check. You know what I'm saying, Kendra, extra check.
Speaker 2: Even my extra check?
Speaker 1: Is you got it? The extra check?
Speaker 3: You side, it is a derogatory term.
Speaker 1: It's bad. It's bad. It's an extra person in your life. You got you gotta have something like that, you know, you can't just be like inside now, my my extra joont Kendre. She she ain't got no but twelve grand. She bringing money up to the thing. Look how respectful that is. You know what I'm saying now eighty four over here out and man, it wasn't it was she gonna faint. Hendry Kindred in according the back too She's like, I got you. And then when I talked on the phone, she asked me, did I want to Did I want her to go by and get that money for paying you know what I'm saying. But she's gonna rob her, you know, rob her to bring in my bread. You know what I'm saying. But you know, yeah, yeah, you gotta have a real First of all, I don't even do drugs. No, I don't even there do No. I don't know why I'm going into that life. I just I got too caught up. I'm about to say I'm gonna roby?
Speaker 3: When when? When the Judd telling you're gonna get three hundred months? At any point that you just say, who can I tell on?
Speaker 1: No? You ain't thinking about man, No, no, no, new that's that's that's cold you man. It's some dudes through me in a trunk when I got I got robbed.
Speaker 4: You need a hug, brother, long. The stuff you go through, it's amazing. I put this on the Specials.
Speaker 1: You got got a story to.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody after you get out the trunck and you the trunk man.
Speaker 1: You gotta you gotta see the Specials. MV. You gotta go. You gotta follow the I'm on three now trunk. I got thrown the trunk in two. I met out the trunk. I'm out the trunk. You like, call I seen this. I think the car shot. Yo, get out the trunk. And I've seen them, dudes. I ain't telling them.
Speaker 2: Dudes.
Speaker 1: You know you don't. You don't tell on people when you're in the streets. But now now I'm telling everybody. Right now, I'll tell everybody. Bring people. Ain't got nothing to do with it, man. I think Emmy was over there. Yeah right man, because let me tell you. Because when I was young, I could take the mattress in jail. Oh no, I've been to jail as a real adult. I was like forty six or something like that.
Speaker 3: Traffic stop and driving with no license, spend their license crazy.
Speaker 1: Now my license always, I don't trust my.
Speaker 3: Last time, I don't trust my license.
Speaker 1: I don't, man, I don't trust my license at all. Like like, if I come if you and jail, if I got to come bomb you out, I'm gonna have to send somebody because my license is is shaky. Just never know its I probably got to stopped somewhere I didn't remember, and then all of a sudden, You know, I came to get you out, and now they talking about can you step on this side for to get somebody. It's not an exchange, yo, you for him? Now, I came to get it. We're supposed to both be leaving together. I'm saying, he can't drop my car, man, and I don't. That's why I don't trust my license. But it's shaky sometimes. Damn man, But that matt you can't take that mattress. No, I slept, Man, It was funny. I went to jail in a in a and I thought, okay. And at the time, I was a spokesman for a bail bonds company and the c W I'm now the spo was, if you go to jail, we'll get you out. So it's no way in the world I'm gonna stay in there. But the you gotta make a phone call. Now. To make a phone call, you gotta get a bond first, right, So I said, okay, let me see the judge. I can get a bond. The man said, the judge is gone for the day. I said, but it's nine twenty a m. He's done all the judging, like he's done for today. Man. So I had to stay overnight to get a bond for them to even come get me.
Speaker 3: What time did the judge come in?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is my thing. This is my thing, Bassouri, in Bazouria County. I just wanted to let it be known, Bassouri County. The man done at ain't thirty and what? So you come on and he's early because the next day I had to get one. They wake you up at four thirty. You in there at five, he rule it. Everybody sitting in the room. He gone at a thirty. So I had to wait till the next day to get bothered out. I'm thinking nobody's gonna know me because it's all white people, white and hispanic. I'm walking with a little mattress. And I was on this show on Comedy Central. This is not happening. This white guy beat on that on that window at least. I'm oh, come on, man, I look, I said, what's up? Man? Man? He was on this is not happening. I said, yeah, and this is not happening. Man going on all night man and in prison is loud. I can't I couldn't take it. I didn't think it was that loud when I was there, but I'm nineteen. I'm probably loud too loud too. And this dude rapping, and I'm nah, this ain't what we're doing. It's sleep time, it's bedtie. This boy rapping, another dude beating on he needed diabetic medicine. I say, hey, man, you can't be doing crime if you sick, bro, you gotta be I was healthy when I was doing It's crazy.
Speaker 3: So when you get out of jail, you get out of prison, you get your your fake polo. Do you remember your first show?
Speaker 1: Yes, just joking, comedy cafe Thursday night, apollow night. I have on a suit because I working at Most. I got a job at the maw and so I'm working at most of the men's a peril store. Got a suit on. This is when you learn observation. So it's a lot of college kids in there because it's apollow night, and everybody up there doing everything. So I go up and all I said was hey, and them folks boom, super jacket off. I'm not even I didn't even tell her I'm talking about it was bad. So it was, man, I'm talking about them boozers. It was. It was in stereo two, so I came and sat down in my partner drake. Man, what happened? I said, bro, you I think you was born with them like you participated. And at the time NICKI she she asked me, said William, did my kids mom be talking? And I said, uh, She said what what whatere your jacket at? I said, Uh, it's going to stay. They booted off me because it was it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Damn you go back up there and get your jacket.
Speaker 1: Man, Yes, many people, man, it was. It was so I waited for two weeks, waiting for two weeks, came back T shirt and jeans, and I didn't write down what I was doing because everybody was singing. Man. And I never won at this bottle night because people hit you with the gospel songs. Even though I was I was good gospel song every man I heard I sang. The dude he was started rapping and was getting about to get booted and changed his song in the middle of the song, started singing about Jesus. So like this, how you spell relief? Jay? You asked you like, So I changed my whole thing, went back up every week for about a month and a half to the people. As soon as I would get there after that, people were like, yo, man, you're going up tonight. Oh he's funny. So I ended up becoming the host of that same place that I got booed and just joking, Comedy Cafe, and I was the host for like a year, and yeah, that's how it started.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the joke that that got him, that made you say, you know what, I can do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I remember the jones that got him. It was a dude. A dude tried to boot me that was on the football team, and I told him that he was a he was a nose tackle. They wouldn't hike the ball because he liked the way the quarterback had his hands on this ball. You know. He was a center.
Speaker 3: You mean he's the center.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, yo, he he, I don't feel like it. I remember it was that's when I was doing jokes you know, and stories, you know. So now it's it's a different thing. I don't think I've written a joke in maybe ten years.
Speaker 5: So how did you turn into the storyteller comedian? Because that's a lot of that's hard for people to do, Like, it's hard, but it's hard.
Speaker 1: Deal. Deal, I'm I'm on the road with d L and he he told me, he said, Yo, man, the funniest you're going to ever be in life is based on how honest you want to be. And this was after some people when I was writing jokes. I don't even blame the people anymore, because I think that when you have writers, that writers under the pressure of turning in something to another comic, and so they could see your show and then turn in, Man, I don't have nothing this week. But if you try to get that check, so you turn in somebody else's material to the person who you have no idea that you that you just sought it somewhere, and so now are you a thief? So now I just I switched from doing jokes to doing everything personally about me and if you would have to, and people still try to steal it. But it's hard because now you know, it's a lot of comics that all of a sudden they went to jail, but I went to prison. It's a different thing. Jailing a lot of people in the jail, but prison is two different things. So I would go up and people trying to doing jail stuff in front of me. I'm like, but you know, that's not what I'm doing. I'm I'm walking through my life from ten years old to now. So it just happens to be the first comedy series of specials like these. All these specials are tied together. So if you see three now, which came out Mother's Day, you can't go see you can't go see four without seeing one and two. So and one is one is the is the masterpiece, but three is the best one to me thus far that I that I see, and two has a different, a different cachet to it because I was showing a different skill set in the actual art of it, because it's two faces to comedy. You know, it's having a tragedy. So in two my sister passed, and well it's it's late now, you know, you know, twenty years I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: All the time. Grief is not linear. I don't know how you're feeling this morning about.
Speaker 1: It, man, twenty years ago to say years old?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Sorry, man, Well I'm man. We dealt with God's crazy, you know what I mean, racked them up.
Speaker 7: About seven more. You can say, man, I can run him off. After my sister with my son, then it was my grandmother. Yeah, we we we mad hard ones.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So that's why I heard about all of them.
Speaker 1: Brother, That's why I did loss, because that's one of the number one things in the black community that man, death runs to our family a little harder than just a loss. Like now you got to figure out how to bury them and and all this. Man, I don't I'm I don't want not another gold fund. Don't send me not another goal fund. Me. Let's try to figure out what is the situation that we need to prepare for. When it's inevitable, it's death is gonna happen, we won't even talk about it, which is hey, man, I think about death every single day, every single day. So I live a better life than most people because I know I don't have the time to be engaged in things that really I can't rectify. You know, I'm not gonna hold a grudge behind something when I can get an apology or I can apologize, you know, like, you know, my whole intent to come up here because I was mad at you. Man, you were saying my name wrong, and you did it twice too. You know what I'm saying, Ali, I'm like this man, know how to say my name? Ali? You know, talking about my special with somebody. Yeah, I think it's named Ali Ali. I'm like, and they send it to me break. I'm like, he knows how to say Ali.
Speaker 3: You know he knows because I kept hearing other people say Ali while you was listening to other people.
Speaker 1: You better than somebody call up there and asked them who his favorite box is? Probably Muhammad Ali. Just take the Muhammad out.
Speaker 3: Because when the first special came out, everybody I knew was talking about that special, especially in the comedy world. It was like, Yo, you gotta watch this due Ali.
Speaker 1: You know, nobody say that. Nobody, nobody says you know, a lot of ain't nobody saying anyone? Nobody said that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like Ali wonng like he staid there all up. I want Look, I don't even know Charloe. I'm like Charlemagne, don't like me when when I get up, when I finally get to the record, I'm leading. I'm leading with man, why you're saying my name? Then I forget. Then I left it alone. It's like whatever, at least he mentioned me. That's all I had.
Speaker 3: But that first special took off though, Yeah, did you did you understand that it would do that, or it was just a risk coming Throw this on YouTube and see what happened.
Speaker 1: Man, I thought it was really good. And when I do a special, it takes a while for it to you know. I recorded probably three or four specials before that one, and it was like, no, it's not special. So Domino Effect the first one. I knew that it was. I knew it. It's like the first album I put out, talking loud saying something that's my reasonable doubt, you know. So I knew once I put this one out, I knew it. I had that feeling about I was too excited about it. Then it didn't have any flaws to it. And that's one thing when I look at something, I don't want it to have anything that somebody can grab on to. Like. But but what about this? So when when that happened, and then somebody said, well, what's the rest of the story, I said, what, Like, what happened after that? I said, you want to know?
Speaker 5: So they oh, so you had never even planned to make it to keep on going with a series.
Speaker 1: Well, if somebody asked me about what happened after that, and I said, okay, well I stopped at sixteen. So let's do it from sixteen to nineteen, and then when we get we did the first we did two, and then I said, yo, let's finish up how I even got incarcerated. People know I was there, but let's see how I got there. And then we did three, and we recorded three and four in DC at the same time. So we did two shows on that Friday and two shows on that Saturday. So four comes out Father's Day. So we strategically put one on Mother's Day, one on Father's Day, and four is two hours long, you know, versus the one thirty that I've been doing. And it's getting to the pinnacle of how what I went through, I was in side and how did I get jovial to come out and want to pursue comedy. So after this series, we're going to start another series called in the Shadows, which is the walk with me doing stand up, getting it, being in a public in a public space, trying to be private because I'm on parole, and on parole most people don't realize parole people. We try to stay out the way because we know anything can get us back incarcerated. So now you're trying to fight for your innocens from a disposition of being incarcerated, and incarceration is, especially mass incarceration is it's crippling. A lot of it cripples a family because it's wear and tearing on a family. And it's not just you. You know, people think that my mom was locked up right with me, you know, and because I'm there and she's concerned about me every day. It's like when somebody go to gym. My mom, Nicky would always say, why you always go get trade out of jail when he locked up? I said, man, because something can happen just by being in there. Is the oldest boy.
Speaker 3: Again, I mean just.
Speaker 1: The oldest boy, the oldest boy. You know, he's the only one that's been in trouble thus far. You know, hopefully nobody else is ever gets in trouble because my oldest daughter, Jaden, she's a chef. She's she's the she's the spinoff version of me I'm talking about. Man, It's nothing like having somebody respect your daughter in the streets like they respect you. And they always hey, man, I saw your daughter. Man, she's a g man like appreciate you. You know you raised I raised a good one. But you know that that raising daughters. You also have this fear, this constant fear, because you've been incss rated and you know how people that's not really good navigate. And you know, I've sat down and I've talked to people who have attacked women and you know, and did all these these file things in the world. So when you out in the street, everything I see is a red flag. It's just like you're like, man, so you know, hey, listen, this is a sign. They triggers them, you know, But you can't tell women I'm in I should be able to do yeah, but but but you know I should be able to do too, but I don't go.
Speaker 3: And then you don't want to raise your kids out of fear. But it's kind of hard not to, kind of.
Speaker 1: Hard not to because everything, everything that you've experienced, you know, even with my sons, man, I'm I'm very fearful of him having children out of wedlock with people that that don't serve him. Well, like, I'm not that father who like will tell my daughters this. Now, I'm more on my son. A man, keep your penis in your pans, bro. Before you end up in a situation that you can't get out of. Then some of these young men out here nowadays. Man, they need some real talking to. I don't want to hear about another young lady losing her life because her brother didn't understand no or or she want to leave. You know, it's a man and I have girls, and I'm and I'm I'm really concerned about the state of mind these young men because I'm like, yo, man, what is your deal? But I understand, I know where it comes from. I don't understand these situations, but I understand they don't. They don't communicate enough. They on this machine all day, on this phone, and you you you don't, man, I got turned down. You know you need to take that walk what I'm saying. And just at a at a table with friends, you decide you for to go higher as somebody and they look at it. Look, look, look, look, look you cattle shoes on. You're gonna pick the wrong one every time. And so hey, where you see me, I'm pregnant. You can't go to the next one. You know, you got to take that long walk of rejection back and forth. But I man, girls, also.
Speaker 3: We didn't have a sense of entitlement because think about even the note we used to write it was would you go out with me?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: No, even the maybe, so you were prepared for whatever.
Speaker 1: Man, do you understand having to ask the slow dance after ask the dance because now that you be dancing, somebody walking behind you. No, And man, I had to go over there. Would you like to dance? And no? Cool? Right, that's cool? Envy go ad? Would you like to dance? Ah? Like light skin light skin. I see what this is. I'll never ask her again. She got a type already, You already got a type. You gotta type, all right, okay, cool, all right? Not so because he likes it, all right, all right? And that's when I think that was a That was a little era where people were trying to be lighter. And I remember the bow legg era. You remember the bow legging air when dudes trying to stand like they were bow legged. No, do nothing, girl, dude. The South girls love girls love a bow legged dude. You know, I'm sloop. I didn't even do that. I wanted to understand, like.
Speaker 5: I'm not a man, but I'm on the other side of it, though I did. It was something about some of them athletes, the way they're standing there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of.
Speaker 5: Your legs are like, you know a little like parentheses. Yeah, don't be pigeon told though, that's where it's different.
Speaker 1: Told and slewp for we ain't get no love like your shoes ain't look right if your knees not. Oh man, I ain't never like that man. Look, it's the only knock knee basketball player. I even respect the KENNI Smith. I just didn't and I didn't even know he was knock need. Man. It's just something about them I'm talking about. I have just seen some girls so look like their legs and an x. Man, what's wrong with you? Man? How do you even get knockknee? Your faces? They should get a check.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you a question you said about your son. When you're telling your sons about you know, I guess women to stay away with, stay away from. How do you have that conversation with your with a son when you might be talking about his mama.
Speaker 1: Mm hm and saying I didn't say that. Man. Listen, listen, this is simmingy son. You see how you ma? Man, you don't want one who do that? You see right there? This is what you don't want that mother? See all this fat mother all this fat mile. But my younger son he has he has a little crisis going on hisself. That that's Hassan. Hassan is thirteen and you have to hey, bro, you need to respect your mother, respect your sisters. He's in he's entitled. And this is and this is my fault, man, these these kids, it's slightly my fault and slightly uh the lady who lived in the house. This is the thing, this is the thing. You have to give him chores. He doesn't have any respe He's not responsible for anything. So I think when you don't have chores, you're not gonna You're gonna have a lack of respect for a lot of things. You know, when you have chores, Man, that's a but I had things that I had to do, and so I'm structured in that way now that man, I had, Hey, before I do anything, I gotta do this and that that goes when you become a grown man. You know, Hey, man, let me take care of this first, and then I get to that. If you don't have that, you got get that young, I get that young.
Speaker 5: Your your special part four comes out on Father's Day, Like you said, how much is how much of that involves like your dad or does it even involve man?
Speaker 1: My dad, he I put him all through the rest of them, and he has a small piece and four because he had Why I was incarcerated. My pops had at fifty almost sixty years old, got locked up for an assault, right and he my daddy thought he was on some big boss mob type thing because his two brothers was locked up. I was locked up. Then he gets locked up. So he sends five hundred dollars on everybody's books while he and while he locked up, and gonna write a letter. Yeah, just sent you some bread. We're not we're not in the family. Like you didn't see me nothing until you got locked up. I don't even understand this. I've been like him like four years now. He gonna, yeah, sent you some bread since we died here man, I rode back. Hey man tried to go home. In the next couple of years. He had less time than me. He beat me on anyway, But he said money to his brother his brothers, oh yeah, appreciate you. Yeah. They thirstyself. Like my uncle Max, he's a g but my uncle Alfred he's a sucker.
Speaker 3: He's a sucker.
Speaker 1: Sucker. Wo man. My grandmother right, dementia, had dementia. I'm putting money in our books, the money coming up missing. He writing checks, had my grandmother sign them, and she had dementia. She got dimension you're stealing the boss. Yeah, that's wild, and then putting in a bad position where her bills not getting paid. And I don't know who my grandmother was when she was younger, but you know, dementia, they be staying stuff in their life. So I'm I'm taking care of her. One day because my cousin we rotating and I'm over, I give a coke and her coke is low. I come back to grab a coke to fill it up. She grabbed my wrists and say, put my glass down. I said, what you say, put my glass down before I drown you? I said, when was you drowned before? Grown men in your life? She must have been a mob. But she owned the cafe, so I don't know when she was doing it, but at some point she was drowning full grown. That's that ain't no regular threat. That's before.
Speaker 2: Put that down.
Speaker 1: I put it down. I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah, you I just I'm not messing this.
Speaker 3: Later, you sound like DL sometimes when when just in regular conversation, you.
Speaker 2: Man called you all now you said, you sound like somebody.
Speaker 1: Else me and DL has a total different voice. Yeah, we have a totally different cadence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can just hear it every now and then when you said it three times, he said, I like you.
Speaker 1: But you just know that, you just know you just you just looked in the files. You just you sound like Bill Bird?
Speaker 3: Which one which one of those guys you think has had the most impact on on your career?
Speaker 1: My career? How the whole? Uh?
Speaker 3: Does anybody d L?
Speaker 1: Definitely d L, Dick Gregory, Bill Bellamy. I can put him in order, the Dad's white Billy watch, Billy watch. Did you know? Yes, very well? Like but I don't have no by way? You say, did you know, because you know did you know? Said yeah, very well like? I know how that was. You took a serience too. You know it's crazy. I heard it once. You said it. I'm so a dope. I ain't even listen to her. I'm fitty. I I was just saying, I was saying pols and I would say none of that. Man, man, it's a nice next. That's a nice shirt. I don't have to say, pouls mind. I'm gone, he said. You know, Dick, You're like, yeah, no, Dick, I'm like, I'm like, okay, just like very well and then but but but but you but you're making sense though, Charlemagne.
Speaker 2: There you go, Dick on the wall.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I want to do.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we had we had a Dick Gregory up here. We had he was up for like an hour forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: That's all. That's all. That's that's all he gave you our that was that's the interview. That's how long the interview was. No, No, that man, I've done. Let me let me see, let me see after the show, Dick Gregory right now, I all got a COMPLI come. So we talked two shows. I think it was six hours each night after the show. Yeah, and so I have very close times him and I don't care what nobody say. It was too many people around that night when that man told me in my face, you're going to take my place if you can maintain your attitude, said Ali, because you you a firecracker, yeah, he said, he said, man, and I understand because you're a Libra and you and he was a libra. So I'm I'm very good with balance. I like balance, and then I don't. I don't shuck and jove, I'm not gonna say nothing to you that I about you. I won't say in your face. I'm not even gonna say it under silence. So I'm ready to say it in your face.
Speaker 3: I don't do the.
Speaker 1: Somebody said, yes, you know who's the somebody'? You know, No, I'm gonna say who the somebody is? They said it. They I'm just I don't play them type of game. I'm just a straightforward person. And in its business, this business, it's a lot of funny ballognais man that you can just tell me, no, bro, I got tough skin. I don't need the fake and shake. And so when you try to handle me like that, I get a little, I get a little touchy and I and I'm not one of that. I don't miss word. If I say I'm gonna do it, that's done. I'm not feel I don't. I don't play a lot. I wish I could with people, but I just don't play a lot with with the goofies. I just I can't do it. And and and it's a lot of them. It's a lot of people say say things and then act like they didn't say it, or because you have more popularity, you can throw something out there and people gravitate towards it. But man, I always think about Benny Blanco. You the way you handle people, that person is gonna eventually come back. You know what I'm saying. And I tell people, Man, Benny Bonco from the Bronx, man, that man just wanted to talk to him. So I don't even handle young comics like that. It's certain things. I'm gonna tell you. I don't want you in the green room when I get there. It's not your green room. You know. It's a certain code to how I came up. I don't go in the green room in my home club. If you're the headliner, until you invite me into that green room, I'm outside and disrespect. It's just a it's just a colde. If I'm the feature or the host, I'm not going in the green room. Man. That man. What if I'm on the show, We'll watch this Dick Gregory between each show. He used to sleep just like Damon Wayne's. They sleep in between each show. So you're gonna keep walking in out of the green room while they're in there sleep, disrespectful, disrespectful. It doesn't it doesn't make sense. But it's so many people think that they entire to a space because you was there at that club doing the open mic. That's the open mic is not the show, but it's it's levels. So it's levels to all of it and then stand up. I think the barriers have gotten broken due to a combination of things. When people used to talk about the internet comics, did they ally they taking our they taking our slots, just not taking your slot. Way the people who were doing sketches, they weren't taking your slot. The comedy club, it was like this, we have a building. Yeah, we need people, people, We need people, just as can you come on Wednesday and Thursdays? We have Faison Love on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, but we're going to make this money on Wednesday and Thursdays. And we had a magic show on Tuesday before you. Okay, I'm saying, and if I had defense, I had comedy defensive driving on Sunday. I'm trying the doors open so we can have a place to do comedy. You was looking people was looking at them as skipping the line. No, it's no skipping the line in his business. You can jump forward. But then what make you have to come back?
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: Skill set when you first started, you know how to stand up, you on the screen. Now these people that you were, that you were getting on the screen, now, these people right here, it's no like I'm gonna okay, y'all, y'all saw what I just did. I'm going to cut that and I'm gonna come back and say something different. No. Then then what happened was the Internet god started getting success and then they start big dogging the stand up experienced stand up saying, oh I'm I'm making my money. You run. But then pandemic happened. Now everybody got a humble their self again because I can't my editor and my people not in here. I don't have nobody to do these schedules with. Now, now comics were reigning supreme doing that. We just cutting the camera on boom, what's up baby, I'm here, you know. So that's how it now it's emerging. Now you haven't heard a beef about Internet versus traditional because now everybody is back. You had to go to the club and work. They had to come from behind the screen. Then people like me started using the screen to just promote that I'm gonna be somewhere instead of just instead of shutting because I'm I'm old school. I'm yo, man, I've been doing standing up twenty six years. I'm in the trenches. It's different for me, and now I have both, you know, now I have, But I wasn't trying to find out, trying to get on the way of the algorithms and all that. Now pay somebody to do that. But the slapsticks and the the the shock comics. Now we're back to at least with me, it is back to loan form. People told me that the what they told me they don't really listen to that much. They're not gonna watch the whole thing. So I started putting out longer than just an hour. He was like, nah, this is what I want to hear. Now you engaged in the story. If you watch Law and Order, you watched John Wick, Why you wouldn't watch a series of something That's funny because my only skill set is just tell stories the same way that I grew up hearing them. You know, my uncle, They that's how they started a man Let me tell you about this big legal lady. I just met you, Like what big leg lady? Then you you my grandma, she'd come in and tell my aunt. You know, I tell stories just like people in your family. So it's not a it's not a magic trick to it. I read books and I listened to the ancestors how they did things, and I try to put that together.
Speaker 3: And that's relatable.
Speaker 5: And a lot of people don't have that though, Like you know what I'm saying, a lot of it's not it's not it's easy for people like you know, like a lot of the like internet comics, they don't know how to keep people's attention like you can do that. You're a great storyteller, and like you said, you tell it like your family member, like you know, just like people, you know, people you grew up here and telling stories.
Speaker 1: People don't know how to do that. That's back and that's when I'm sitting down with when the last time you sat down and you listen to a story from somebody in your.
Speaker 2: Family like an aunt or all the time love it, yes, all the time you.
Speaker 1: Got you had it. So if you was telling the story, you would probably do it the same way that you've always seen it done. If people have these disconnected families and they don't never a man when the last time you saw your aunt? What? I don't know, but I'm like, nah, I can't wait for my cousins to call me and say, man, let me tell you what your aunt did yesterday you almost fell off a boat, and I'm gonna listen to the whole story. I'm gonna listen to the whole entire story because and then I'm calling. Then I'm calling, oh, see you out here falling off boat. I can't even wipe the call. We told you that because I grew up with them, with the whole I never did nothing private in my family. If if I did it, my mother called everybody and then everybody know, I mean people that you didn't even think and you mind your own ben your uncle. So you just around here pining in the bed, Hey man, we are and I mean we we we out in the back. That's what you want to talk about. Now, I'm just saying, your mama tell me you with every day. I'm saying, you just just pissed through a mattress. What you talking?
Speaker 5: And these are still things that people are going through so it's relatable. It's gonna always be relatable.
Speaker 3: Family.
Speaker 1: Do you understand my uncle right now? He don't care nothing about no six Hey remember when you us being to what you so you won't say that in front of my kad, in front of my head, in front of my children. You want to bring that up. I'm just that I always win. I can't stand this.
Speaker 3: Man just dropped Domino Effect three on May twelfth, Oh man, and Domino Effect four sixteenth.
Speaker 1: That's right now. I think I'm gonna blow up now, I don't finally got up here. You want to do?
Speaker 3: You want to do like Netflix or something like that? Does it even?
Speaker 1: Man? No, I'm saying no, But well I'm gonna say if why not?
Speaker 3: Why I can't say no you the blessing down if it comes. But they come with twenty million and say, hey man.
Speaker 1: But if they own it, then this this is none of they can't get If they own it, they can't get it.
Speaker 3: You can make up a story, you can say anything. Take the twenty mini dollars.
Speaker 1: Check. Wait, man, see now they got I'm on Netflix. I got twenty million, and now they put out I didn't put out some nonsense. Now, people yeah, that boy ain't cold. Yeah, but I want to do it on it. He's doing what you're doing. They're like, yeah, yeah, never.
Speaker 3: You name.
Speaker 1: Said man Man, I'm man Netflix, and.
Speaker 3: What you're doing, you're doing so well. Now you definitely do it well.
Speaker 1: My brother man and I and I appreciate that. Man. I just can you know something. I just feel like an Emmy, it's gonna come my way since I made it this break because I used to always say, you know something enough people don't know me. I gotta get up there to see DJ Mvy. It wasn't really about you. Yeah, because because once he hit it with that, this is a djoy know that that's the part that you wait, it ain't even the show that the show just came out. Hey, I'm Charlamagne to God and it's just larous, Like what what what they think about? When we first started, we hated it.
Speaker 2: I was like, why we gotta keep saying our names?
Speaker 1: I don't want to see saying many But our program director of time is like, you keep saying your name, it stuck, It gets stuck in consultant him and keep saying your name, but introducing yourself.
Speaker 5: Even when he beef with people, they be like mocking him, like j it's a whole rhythm of it.
Speaker 1: You gotta say like that, just you gotta say this is But let me tell you that the the the thing that that makes me laugh like uncontrollably comes from the breakfast club. And I'm talking about me and the lady that living in the house. May let me tell you something. And if I don't care, how mad if that lady called man saying yeah, this is this sweet John Joe, y'all do that? What the boy who couldn't say, y'all name god? Man? Let me tell you something? It was true? That wasn't that was true?
Speaker 7: We know, we know.
Speaker 1: You're serious. Girl. Do you understand the type of I'm talking about? Man, if my day is going bad, come on, Webb, gonna get gonna get it. But somebody made a car through the gate. But yeah, y'all got.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 1: Man, boy, it's like this. It was like our Sharpton versus a teleprompter.
Speaker 3: Damn that no oar.
Speaker 1: And the only reason I don't really say nothing about it much is because I did a es have you ever done a thing that they had the teleprop on absolutely just over the weekend, and it was it was going too fast. Yeah, and you have to like if I tell you I'm just up there and I'm dyslexic. That's the whole other thing. I don't. I don't do cold reads. Let me see it for let me take the picture of it in my brain. I can do it. Man, I'm in there with the cold with a cold read on the telepromptum and and I'm talking. They got on speed out just I'm like, I'm just up and the man I'm doing it. And the man looked like this, he's liker. I know, damn well, none of that. Whatever he's saying. Someone, what what are you looking at?
Speaker 6: Was like hey, man started saying stuff like I'm the king and changing my stuff to I tell you everything. Because sometimes they be going too fast. You can't get that fast many do you understand? The man had to look at the teleproblem. He no, damn like, bro, man, what are you looking at? Are you looking past me outside and something? I'm like, nah, bro, I'm looking.
Speaker 1: Dead at you. But you man, it's too fast. Yeah, Billy Currels go in after me for the same position. I said, Billy Man, they tell a propam, he said, Man, I wouldn't looking at them telling problem. I was saying what I thought they wanted, like we'll make up, got to make it up on the fly. How did they find you? Ali? Man? Ali? Man? And definitely because you know you're messing and this man still now here calling you Ali like ol I. He can't do nothing, man, Man spelled my name with an I s I D d i Q. I'm saying a L I first s I D d i Q. Man, it's a visit line killing him over here. Yeah, but yeah, you that's dot com or you can go on YouTube a lead comedy, you know. Man, just you know, stay linked in with me on my on my Instagram. Everything is the same.
Speaker 3: I'm following it right. I think I already follow you though.
Speaker 1: You already follow me, because I know you definitely follow my Man. What's what's what's the guy you be with all the time? And I just saw I just saw Andrew at the roast. I was at the roast. Tom. It's funny when you become a comics comic and you don't know and then you walking room and all these comics come over to you. Man, Hey brother, hey brother, man, why are you you bowing? Like man? I'm not. I'm a big I'm a big fan. Like, hey man, what what what's the bowing about?
Speaker 3: Thought?
Speaker 1: And like Kevin was talking. I was walking around with Kevin talking to somebody. He turned around, Hey brother, I didn't know you was gonna be Hey man, what is wrong with y'all? Y'all see me? And then I'm walking into the party. I'm going to the to the farm to the Farm Club, and I've been wanting to go get you know, Madgi Johnson, one of my favorite players of all time. I just wanted to see what him and Bus was doing. They work at in this farm club. I'm in there and as I'm walking in, this is the biggest compliment I think I ever got. I'm talking a non this no out of nowhere. I'm walking into this party. Chappelle is coming this way, a bunch of people with him, and he just stopped, Hey, oh, Ali, you coming to Cincinnati man next weekend at the Task Theater. I'm want to try to come by there if I'm in town. And I'm, okay, how you know my schedule? And he said, man, take my number and call me. Okay, And I'm and I'm trying to play it cool cause I'm like, yeah, yeah, whatever. Chapelle and walk right in there. The sam Jays sam My number, gave me his number, told me comment the Tall the man know my schedule. You know, he all in the files. Thank you, thank y'all for having me.
Speaker 2: Man, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club