Speaker 1: Today's episode will contain light spoilers for a number of games we all played in twenty twenty four, so be careful, but also go play these games. Hello, my name is a Boo and I'm Aaron, and welcome to X ray Vision Extras and Next ray Vision series, where we dive deep to even more of your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Every superhero team needs side quests, and our rotating panel of producers and guest hosts we'll be suiting up to help Jason and Rosie cover all of the amazing nerd content out there.
Speaker 2: Today it's our Video Game Superlatives episode for twenty twenty four. First up, in the previously on, Jason, Rosie, and Joel will talk Superman, Craven, the Hunter, and Lord of the Rings War of the Row here. Then in the roundup, the X ray crew will share a few of their favorite game recommendations to add to your backlog. And first previously on.
Speaker 3: First Up, the Superman trailer will come out this week Thursday, but ahead of that we get a the official poster for the new Superman Man movie, revealed by James Gunn.
Speaker 4: It is a nod to.
Speaker 3: The classic Christopher Reeves era Superman and listen, not stuff here, but but I'm excited and I'm excited to see the trailer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he said it to this kind of like slowed down, almost interpolated version of the John Williams classic Superman theme, So I think that's interesting.
Speaker 6: The tagline is look up, which I like.
Speaker 5: It feels kind of hopeful, but yeah, this is a classic. It's just it's a poster and that's telling you when the trailer is going to come out.
Speaker 6: I'm excited to see the trailer. I want to know what's going on with this movie.
Speaker 5: They've kept it pretty under wraps, so it's going to be exciting to check it out.
Speaker 3: Next up, Craven The Hunter Boo Craven the Hunter spider Man spin off starring the ab laden Aaron Taylor Johnson.
Speaker 7: He was cop, he was a mister.
Speaker 3: He's looking very vascular in this role where he plays Spiderman's notorious hunter loving foe. Craven is Bad and it is currently bombing to an insane degree in the box office eleven dollars over its opening weekend in three thousand over three thousand theaters. This folks is setting a new record for spider Bombs. Coming quite below this year is Madam Webb, which came in at fifteen point three million over a weekend. It has a unbelievably bad fifteen percent Rotten Tomatoes score Rush Tomatos see grade on Cinema score, which makes you feel like the Sony marketing department is working hard. Pump that thing up, folks, Uh, Rosie and Joelle. You've seen mister Johnson and his craven unbelievable, you know, like cheese greater abs in this film, tell us your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Not enough abs, no.
Speaker 3: More abs, beats more abs.
Speaker 4: He had plenty, they did not show them off enough. You would actually be.
Speaker 5: Surprised at how little he is in this movie. He is actually like they tried to beat ole juice him. I think he's probably only in like an hour of this two hour movie. There's like a thirty minute flashback. The whole thing is a mess.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 5: It was funny because like one, there's so many random Spider Man.
Speaker 6: References in this movie that.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my god, the doctor in New York Miles Warren. I'm like, oh yeah, well, the Jackal fans out there going crazy for that one. And then there is also just like the dialogue is so impossibly bad there there really is a line where one character says.
Speaker 6: My grandma died and I never saw her again.
Speaker 5: After that, it's like, babe, of course you didn't. She was dead, Like what what did you think was gonna happen? And yeah, I mean it was hilarious because also like the guy from Gladiator to Fred Heshinger, he plays the in this Craven's brother who becomes the chameleon. Sure, but the who way through the movie he just keeps being like, I'm a chameleon.
Speaker 6: Everyone always.
Speaker 5: Everyone always say like I'm a cameleo because and you want to know, you want to know. They basically make him like he's like an He's like an Ariana Grande style like song impersonator. Like they just have him like singing different types of songs. They'll be like any here he is singing Tony Bennett, Harry Is. I was like, is this while you're going with this?
Speaker 6: I don't know. It was a hot mess. It actually dragged.
Speaker 8: It's almost two and a half hours long.
Speaker 6: There's a night a.
Speaker 5: Minute, but probably yes, Jason's two and a half hours and.
Speaker 4: You feel it.
Speaker 5: It is bad And also like if you are a fan of Calypso, very interesting complex character in the comics. They absolutely just flob her hair with Oscar winner Arianna de bos. Also, they do actually see gi her mouth at one.
Speaker 4: Point there is in this film is insane. Not only do they ai her mouth at one point with a character she has no One of the characters power sets is that he counts and maybe shifts time, maybe is moving through it quickly. You're very confused. All the power sets are confusing. Is craven doctor Doolittle too, You're not really sure. They always may show up when he needs them, but he's never actually having a conversation or making noises. It's so no bizarre, but are like Calypso is like winds up counting with a character she's never met and gives her best Aamuel L. Jackson impression of three motherfuckers, and I was like, this iscist, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: It does have some very questionable kind of like law that they inserted, like with voodoo magic and they go to Ghana and they don't know what they're doing. And also the thing that made me laugh the most that by the end I was like dying every time they did it. These people could not commit to a like specific location to save their life. So every single time it changes location, they're just like northern Russia, somewhere in upstate New York.
Speaker 6: It's like around England, and.
Speaker 5: You're just like, guys, could you just say one city that they're actually in? Like I beg you, this is like it was so funny, but I will say enjoyable cinema experience if you like to laugh at a bad movie.
Speaker 4: Which animal maulings both shot pretty decently.
Speaker 3: I am just confused. I'm confused because like Sony makes good animated Spider Man movies clearly right, like very good, beautiful. I think at some point they'd be like, hey, guys, anybody that's worked on those films, why don't you come over and help us with our live actions imagine stuff, because we've now made what like five six really really terrible, uh, some legendarily terrible like live action movies, including Madam Webb, The Utterly Horrific and Forgettable Let There Be Carnage morebius, like how can this keep happening? And this movie is directed by J. C. Chandor, who, as we've stated in past the past episodes, is like a is good. It's like a really good director and really good actually.
Speaker 6: Like a law of really serious movies.
Speaker 7: So I'm just confusing.
Speaker 4: It has to be a producer problem from the top because there's not a talent. There's no attention to detail, and I think what's most disappointing is like you don't understand these characters at all. So people took away like, oh, you can't have a Craven movie if there's no Spider Man, like he must be a mirror to Spider Man, And well, I hear that, and maybe that is the lesson we should be taking away. I don't necessarily, but I think every character could have there, Like the story is good, I agree, And they tried to make all these characters Spider Man and be Quippi like we all have seen, Like, does Craven seem like a Quipper to you? It's weird?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Also as well, I will say, there is a glimpse when the movie opens. It's like an eight minute scene where he breaks into a prison in Siberia or in Russia somewhere because you never know, I don't know that to like kill a guy, right, and you're like, Okay, this is actually like interesting and the action is good, and then they cut to this thirty minute you know, flashback scene, and the just whole moviees derailed. So I think there's a version where if they'd have just like trusted in making it a really gory, brute or action movie and it was like a ninety minute movie of just Craven killing a bun for people, that would have actually been like kind of cool and maybe a bit more of like a cult kind of hit.
Speaker 3: I don't write the A Punisher kind of take on it, you know exactly. I will just let's put the call out to anybody. If you have played any of these movies, if you work at Sony, reach out to us and honestly and just gossip with us about how this.
Speaker 4: We want to know, did you make Craven's Jacket.
Speaker 3: I understand making like a couple bad movies, but making basically only.
Speaker 4: Bad live action.
Speaker 3: Spider Man movies is crazy, and I don't understand how it happens. So please reach out to us and give us give us. We need to love to hear.
Speaker 5: It, especially especially because the current reporting is saying at any point Sony could have made Tom Holden be in these movies like FIGI didn't even ban him from being in them. So there's many questions and we want you to answer them to loss.
Speaker 3: Next up, Lord of the Rings, War of the Roha Reem is also bombing. It's a double bomb weekend at the theater, Double bom weekend.
Speaker 5: Baby.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a cheap, fast tracked movie by New Line and really was only put onto a production track because New Line needed to keep the rights to Lord of the Rings. Like so, I mean, if you want to know why this movie is not doing well and is kind of bad with uneven animation and it doesn't make any sense that it's out it's because the only reason it exists is because Newline wanted to keep the rights to Lord of the to Lord of the Rings so they could continue to make Lord of the Rings movies. That's the only reason in this movie is out there, and it's it's bombing.
Speaker 5: Four point six million.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, that's like, that's an unbelievably low amount of money for an ip that is, you know, one of the I think one of the biggest hockey's out there.
Speaker 6: Just put it straight to stream.
Speaker 3: I have to say that. I think I think because get totally because they don't keep the rights.
Speaker 5: I didn't think it was like I watch a lot of anime. I felt like it was on par with a lot of kind of mid anime. But I did think that the world was interesting. But yeah, I mean, this is unbelievable. They should have at least been able to open this to twenty mil if they'd just put a little bit into the marketing or kind of found its space, especially in a world where big anime movies like you know, Jiu Jitsu Kais and Dragon ball Z, like those kind of franchises can open to like a lot of money. Now, I think this was a miss for Warner Brothers, both content wise but also marketing wise, because you can market a movie that's not great and make people go see it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, four point six million, that's an ouch.
Speaker 5: But you know what, guys, don't worry because it's still a very big box office weekend thanks to Moana and Wicked, who I think made it almost one hundred million dollar weekend just from those two movies this weekend.
Speaker 6: So good for them.
Speaker 5: Go girls, girl power, girls, get it done, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: All right, up next, we stepping out of the airline.
Speaker 1: Without further Ado. Let's jump right in. Let's start with the latro.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, can you tell me what makes this game sensational? Because I was looking. I haven't played Platro full disclosure, but I did see it's a single developer, it's a card game. They've got a cute little jester mask scot. Why should I play this game?
Speaker 2: So, Rosie, you and I have both played this, How would you respond to you out with that?
Speaker 5: I would say, if you used to like playing like Solitaire on your computers, that you're like nowadays there's five million games. Why would I play a card game on a console like a Steam deck or a switch or PC or whatever, or your phone? Well, this is like the most addicting game. I would also say, it's basically Aaron put it best in our script, which is like poker with deck building, and it's just incredibly easy to play. I was worried I wouldn't understand it or there would be stuff that I didn't know because I'm not very good at Like the most extensive deck building game I ever played was like an adventure time deck building game that they used to have years ago on the phone. But you really just need to like understand poker. I will also say something I think is really interesting is I was on a plane yesterday from Copenhagen to la and there were multiple people on the plane who true. There was a guy sitting next to me playing it, there was someone playing on their phone. I think that shows that it has really grown out. I was rooting for this for Game of the Year because I do think that mobile gaming should be more recognized. This is not an endorsement of you know, Kim Kardashian's mobile game, but for a long time that mobile game was the biggest selling game on Earth, like selling more than Call of Duty, making more money than Call of Duty. So I think that we are in a space where those games are often overlooked.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I just it.
Speaker 5: But it is so addictive, Joel, and I specifically think someone like you, someone who is like me and kind of gets really hyper fixated on things, I think it will be dangerous for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna push back against you a little bit here, Rosie.
Speaker 4: So the game.
Speaker 2: The game is available on console and recently became available on iOS, so it is a mobile game technically.
Speaker 7: Now I hate it.
Speaker 6: I hate it's the mobile game is not the best version of the game.
Speaker 2: But this game will consume your life. This game is addictive.
Speaker 7: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Do not load this game onto your phone. Okay, all right, this game. This game is fast paced, but it's relaxing. It hits incredibly well because it has big numbers that get bigger and bigger and bigger. It is not a It's not fast paced in terms of you quick reflexes. You can sit and contemplate your moves. Every run feels legitimately different. This is like a roguelike as well as a deck building as well as poker. This game is not to be trusted. You will play too much. Again these do not download this game onto your phone.
Speaker 7: I have this team on the switch.
Speaker 5: Potentially could ruin your life on the phone under there.
Speaker 7: Will be it is amazing this game.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, you basically all you need to know going into this is have the basic rules of poker, and if you don't have them, the game will provide that for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, so you can just google it.
Speaker 2: You just acquire a couple joker cards which make macro rule changes to the game itself. So basically you can have a joker that's like anytime you play an even card, double your points, or one that says a straight now only takes four cards instead of five, or anytime you play a face card you you get a gold coin, and.
Speaker 5: Makes it feel like there are like infinite options.
Speaker 6: Okay, it makes it feel like you don't get bored of it.
Speaker 4: As somebody who wait too much time in the Yachtzi mobile game, and I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna say, if you're somebody who got addicted to Monopoly go and spent too much time playing that, do not download.
Speaker 6: This to your friend because you'll probably lose your job.
Speaker 2: Yes, as someone I know many people do not like card games. They don't like deck building, they don't like roguelikes. Don't let those things scare you off. There's it's a very easy to learn and impossible to put down game. So okay, as a fan of Slay the Spire, as a fan of any of these sorts of games, it is amazing. Next up, we've got the game that if you want to live out your superhero dream, you should play Marvel Rivals. And Jason, you've you've played a little bit of Rivals, right.
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 3: Currently sitting as a silver two rank on Competitive Feel good about the climb? Did I move up the ladder?
Speaker 2: Are you have you upgraded any skins to have a different look for any of your characters yet I have?
Speaker 6: I know you, I know you bought those quints.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did. I got two Manta skins, including the Guardians of the Galaxy Galaxy skin.
Speaker 8: I got.
Speaker 3: I bought a I bought the Rocket Raccoon Guardian skin. I bought the Thor like young Thor skin. This is I'm trying to remember if I bought anymore, because I say I surely considered it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, no Wolverine skin.
Speaker 3: Oh, I bought the Luna Snow like cocktail gown, a really cool like long gown skin, and who else? I think that's it for now, But those are who? So that's like who I'm really rocking with.
Speaker 2: For anyone who has not, he says somehow been under a rock and not seen anything about Marvel Rivals on your social feeds, which seems pretty unlikely. Marvel Rivals is a six v six hero shooter featuring currently featuring thirty three different characters from the Marvel comics, as well as Luna Snow, who's a brand new character created for the game. You can be everyone.
Speaker 3: She was created for a Korean mobile game, Oh oh for this the cross those yeah, for a Korean mobile game like in twenty eighteen, and then has appeared in a couple comics and those yeah in this game.
Speaker 6: Oh that's rad.
Speaker 7: Jason didn't realize that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're at the end of the year, obviously. This is our like recap of all the games, how we feel about them. What is it for you that has made Marvel Rivals kind of such a special, instantly addicting game. That's kind of putting it up there with some of with this crazy year we've had with gaming.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, for me, I was an Overwatch person, so it makes sense. I like that kind of team based game with roles and the powers. You know that the character models are awesome, the powers are fun. The way the powers interact with each other are really fun, and it's like there are just moments where you get into a big fight and you really feel like, I think this is what it would be like if you were in the thing, you know, and Hulk is jumping around and throwing Wolverine at Iron Man's like out there and Wanda's going into a fugue state and melting like five people. It's really fun. And again, as someone who had lost their fast twitch nerve endings like several years ago, I'm able to play roles that I feel like I can be effective in Healer and Tank and I don't have to be like the biggest killer out there, but I can kind of manage the fight in ways that feel strategic and I and I enjoy that. And then there's you know, with the different power sets, there's really interesting gameplays counters to powers. There's there's a level of strategic play that's still developing because the game is so new, and I find that.
Speaker 2: Really fun and I thought it was interesting too. You just mentioned of the skins that you bought three different at least three different support characters. You mentioned Mantis, you mentioned Rocket, and you mentioned Luna. So do you find the characters within a certain role played drastically differently enough that you, as someone who's played Overwatch, can enjoy Hey, my games is Rocket, even though I'm a healer, feels significantly different than my games as Mantis.
Speaker 7: Oh, for sure, you have to.
Speaker 3: You have to alter your gameplay depending on the kit that each character is Mantis for instance. You know, I've been looking at the various like character ranking videos that have come out since the game has been out from different streamers, and I'm heartened to see that the eye test for me, which says that Mantis is one of the best, very best players in the game is has been confirmed by a lot of the stream is. She's just great as a support character. She has good offensive capabilities. She has this sleep bomb that gives her good es capability. If you get Dove in the back line by like, I mean, iron Fist is a fucking menace right now if you're a support character, and the ability to just like drop a sleep bomb on him and get away is really useful. You can boost the damage of several players on a timer. So if you've got a Wolverine or a Hella or a some other you know, like an iron Fist diving into the back line, you can boost their damage as they go in and rack up assists, which is super, super super useful. And the difference between that and Rocket, who is more of a like standback and like shoot at everybody and kind of bounce healing around character is it's pretty drastic or a character like Loki who has a really really strong power set but not great mobility, and you have to kind of play in a more kind of sneaky way. The difference in play styles is drastic and is part of what makes it really fun.
Speaker 2: And then I also feel like we've had we've had a pretty steady draw at the game, Like I have not seen a slowdown on social media about it. People are still making funny videos like I'm still seeing so.
Speaker 7: Many different je.
Speaker 2: Do you think though, Will, Like you said you played Overwatch, you burned out on Overwatch. A lot of people burned out on Overwatch, and granted that was many years, but what do you think Rivals needs to go? Three months along? And we're still really.
Speaker 3: I think that so people. The one thing that you can you feel like might be coming, particular for competitive is like a role queue, which is that locks in positions so you don't end up in these situations where you've got like one healer and five duelists, you know, and you're like you're just mantis back there trying to heal everybody and you have no tank. So you could see that coming. The drawback would be that you're going to wait three four or five minutes for games sometimes because.
Speaker 7: Right now.
Speaker 9: You hit like just load.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say one thing that a streamer that I've overwatched, streamer that I follow named Flats is mainly a tank Maine. He made a good point that was like saying that that he hopes they don't put in roll queue one because of the times to keep the times fast, and two because as a team based game, sometimes you have to take one for the team. Sometimes you have to look at the team and say, Okay, I need to play this. I don't want to, but I have to because nobody else is going to do it.
Speaker 5: And that's also how you get better at different roles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of agree with that. Where it becomes annoying is competitive where everybody's trying to climb the ladder and you feel like the game actually matters, and that's where things get toxic. And I can see them at a roll Cube. So I think, like trying to figure out how to keep games quick, how to get into them fast, I think will be one of the things. And then I think, don't like jump to balance the game yet, because you know there's some ridiculous things like why can iron fist like fly fifty feet into the air, fucking iron Man. I don't understand it. It doesn't make sense, like how can he perry Scarlet, which is like ultimate Like there's a lot of things that don't make sense. That said, I think the game is still so new, and the fact that a lot of these characters seem to have like game breaking like ultimates and powers is kind of fun right now. So I hope they don't tweak anything too soon. Despite the fact that it's quite obvious that there are certain characters in here that maybe need it, I don't see any Well, maybe there's some buffs coming. I could see Captain America maybe needing a buff. Poor guys just like running around slapping people with the shield, doing zero damage and.
Speaker 7: Then running away.
Speaker 2: I had so much fun one game playing as Captain America, and I thought I was being so disruptive and doing so many annoying things the other team, And at the end of the game, I looked at my stats and I was like, how did I do so little damage?
Speaker 7: He does nothing.
Speaker 6: Nothing, maximum effort, minimum impact.
Speaker 3: It's true, but there again is like the tactics are still evolving. Like for cap I feel like what you need to do is like never stop sprinting. You just hold down sprint and never stop and constantly have your shield run through, constantly have your shield up, run through fights, smack a couple of people. What you're doing is you're looking for the one healer or person that's like by themselves, like somewhere in a room or in a back alley, beat the shit out of that person, and if someone else shows up, runaway.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 3: Like, don't try to finish two v one fights on your own. Try to try to go one v ones, especially with injured people, and don't fight for a long time famous Captain America and get out of the.
Speaker 7: Run away.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 4: That is kind of the issue.
Speaker 3: Is like a lot of the a lot of the characters do play like how you imagine them playing in a fight, like I Think or who you wish had more? Yeah, but a black Black panther hella like kind of Moonnight. They kind of fight in ways that you can imagine the fighting. Spider Man in particular, high skill character that you're starting to see people put together like insane click packages of like Spider Man. Now, I could see Captain America in eating a buff, but I still think like, let's wait, let's let the gameplay develop before buffing it too soon, and then it would be cool to see some new characters. I mean, there's so many characters that have yet to appear, Like take your pick, like the whole Fantastic four is not in there. Uh x Men, Yeah, you know, Serene is the only X Men in there.
Speaker 5: I mean also, you can you can imagine a world where they do like a new Mutants update or something, you know, they could.
Speaker 3: Do team update, power pack update like that would be really cool. And so drip those characters in and don't worry yet about balancing the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let the chaos rain.
Speaker 3: Let the chaos rain. And if they're going to introduce balances, I think start maybe with competitive or some other smaller corner of the game. And I would like to see maybe some different game modes, like you know, there's only two game modes right now, which is like an escort mode in a conquest mode. I'm not calling for like deathmatch, but maybe there's some other things captain you know, King of the Hill type gameplay that we could see coming that would add some depth to the game. But right now, it's like it is just like super super super super fun super fun.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm excited. I think you just confirmed that we should. I'll look out on Boxing day for the Alpha Flight character drop.
Speaker 5: Which would be great Canadian obviously happening Captain Britan.
Speaker 2: When we hand it back, we will will have a boo talk about one of the games that he has been most excited about this year, and we'll talk to you after these.
Speaker 7: Messages and we're back.
Speaker 2: Next up, we have the game that if you want an epic and easy going single player adventure, this is dragon Age Vailguard.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the game that I put on the list as the one I would recommend. I am a huge Bywear fan, and Dragon Age is a fantasy action RPG where you gather this ragtag team of near duels and also duels, and you save the world. You know, It's like, the main story is not the most complicated sales pitch. It's as simple as every other fantasy RPG you've ever played. But I think where this game really excels and what makes it an epic and easy going single player adventure that you can really sync, like me eighty plus hours into is the companions, the characters, the gorgeous visuals. Even the combat is, in my opinion, simplified. But I'm a pretty hardcore like RPG player. Like I lean more balder Skate three and the Shadow, this game certainly lives in the shadow of balder Skate three. It doesn't reach those heights. But if you're a more casual gamer, this combat is going to be very simple and easy and enjoyable to play. Some of the characters will grab you. I think the main of pro tip I would give to someone picking this up and trying to jump in is to not stress about the main story. Honestly, just ignore the main story as much as you can, take your time instead doing all of your companion's side quests. All of the companions will have their own plot lines and multi part quests to complete that will increase your relationship with them. Yes, you can romance any way you want in the game, and you will get the most enjoyment out of this game when you lean into getting to know the cast of characters. That that is where most of the enjoyment of this game lies. That would be my pro.
Speaker 5: Tip Because I'm a side quest kind of gal and I love the idea of ahi fantasy action NOTPG. I've played some different versions by the to find my true love. I know I still need to play boulders Kate three too, but that sounds great.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you looked up alder Skate three and went, wow, I'm done this, try Dragon Age instead, I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna say, is this a good start a game for that kind of space?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: And a boot of the eighty hours or so you've put in, how much of that has been like grinding XP or learning new techniques and skills for your character versus exploring doing the relationship stuff or side quest for your characters developing their arcs?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Where does it sit within those two worlds?
Speaker 9: Zero?
Speaker 1: Zero of those eighty hours was just like grinding out gear. And to be fair, like, I'm old now and I just play video games on Easy because I can't be I can't be stuck on a boss fight for four days straight, like who has the time? So I played on Easy and I will say this has a really robust set like accessibility, settings menu. You could just go in and tweak anything. You can be like, I'm annoyed by how much health the bosses have, just going in and reduce the health for an enemies, you can be like, oh, the bosses like or the enemies like attack me too much and I can't like get a hit in.
Speaker 9: Just reduce how aggressive they are.
Speaker 1: Like, they're settings that are like very particular, So customize it to like your play style. And if there's a thing bothering you about the game, check the accessibility settings, because I can almost guarantee there's a toggle in there where you can set it to a level that feels comfortable and fun for you. I went in and like I did find the health. The enemy health was like so much. I played as a rogue archer and I was just like wailing these guys with like dozens of arrows just to take like one grunt down, and that was starting to annoy me. So I just reduced their health so I can just take them down in like three or four arrow hits.
Speaker 7: Nice, And that was more.
Speaker 4: Fun for me.
Speaker 1: And So if you don't have some sort of weird like easy mode is for lame people baggage, just like play the game how you want and customize it how you want.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So that's.
Speaker 1: My recommendation for folks looking to get into some RPG game action.
Speaker 7: And out of out of ten, what would you gray the story?
Speaker 1: You know, Look, this gets a little hairy for me because I'm a long time BioWare fan byo where created my all time favorite video game trilogy, the Massffect games. I've also played all the dragon Age games.
Speaker 9: Story wise, like, this is like a decent seven out of ten.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like the writing is okay, it's a little amate like, it's very sanded down and simplistic.
Speaker 9: It's very black and white. The good guys are the good.
Speaker 1: Guys, the bad guys are the bad guys, and it doesn't over complicate that, which is a little disappointing. I wanted more, more gray and more nuanced in this world, because the previous games certainly had that. It's it's been simplified and a little oversimplified for my taste.
Speaker 9: But I don't want that to deter.
Speaker 1: Someone who's never experienced dragon Age before, because I think coming in you'll still enjoy it. I just come in with like fifteen years of gaming baggage and buyowear opinions, and so I just I wanted more from the story, but that's because I'm too deep in the buywear lore.
Speaker 2: Well, next up, we have a game that I think is very similar to that, and that the good guys are the good guys and the bad guys are the bad guys. This is if you want to play a game where you eliminate uncivilized bugs and robots and deep space for democracy.
Speaker 7: And this is hell diverse too.
Speaker 2: This is a co op third person shooter where you and your teammates get dropped down into a hostile world filled with hordes of enemies, and you complete an objective on a time limit, and then you call in the plane to get you out of there. This game, the community is very funny. First of all, like people make it. It's very Starship Troopers.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say the main reason that this game is because it has finally made people appreciate pull this yes under.
Speaker 4: Classic masterpiece, Yes.
Speaker 6: Classic satirical masterpiece, genius.
Speaker 2: And there's because it's co op, not as much toxicity among the gaming community. People just like are very in on the joke of like we are, you know, uh, disposable soldiers for democracy. And like one of the things I really like is someone who plays RPGs and will collect every item and then sudden, I mean, like when I've played Balder's Gate three with my friends. They make the joke that I just loot everything and then I go put all of the when I run out of space, I just mysteriously am dropping all those items into their inventories, and they're like, when did I pick up three barrels of wine? Hell Divers so different Hell Divers you get like three items to drop in with. You have a very limited number of items to drop in with, and you can share them with the other teammates, but like, you can only have these set number of things that you come in with, and that's all you get for the whole game.
Speaker 7: And it's very.
Speaker 2: Fun and as soon as you die, you just get shot back in with the brand new character because you are in fact disposable soldiers for democracy.
Speaker 7: They did introduce.
Speaker 2: A brand new faction, the Illuminate, which was introduced into the latest dlc Omens of Tyranny. That now means there are three different enemy factions you can play, very fun game to just drop in twenty minutes hanging out with your friends, dropping bombs and shooting bugs.
Speaker 9: I have a question for you Erin.
Speaker 1: Yes, if I'm the type of gamer that doesn't like Call of Duty or Valerint or counter Strike or Overwatch, or I might look at this game and go, this just looks like one of those, Well I should I still give this a chance.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so much slower.
Speaker 2: Like when I think of Call of Duty or Valorant, I'm thinking of people, you know, really quickly jumping across the screen, like popping in and out behind corners. I also, Jason loves to say he's lost his fast twitch reflexes in gaming. I never had those, so like I never could have played any of those games. This game, like, I don't ever feel like I'm you know, never hitting my shots. Like if anything, it's just like, wow, that bug is enormous and I just have this puny little pistol that's running out of ammo, so you know, and like the bombs I'm calling in or taking ten seconds and it's not going to be here. It's I'm in the bug squashed me. So that I would not do not feel like this is call of duty whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know, Yeah, okay, Next up is the game you'll want to play if you've always wished that you could date a monster and started Valleys and then Rosie, I believe this was your recommendation.
Speaker 5: Shocking, Yes, This is Wildflowers, which is actually really incredible new take on the kind of Stardry Valley Animal Crossing space.
Speaker 6: But if you've always.
Speaker 5: Played Animal Crossing and you've been like, oh, I wish I actually like had voice actors playing all of these characters, this has hours and hours of incredible voice acting, and you are actually immersed in this new town where you return to help your grandma. Classic kind of Hallmark movie set up, classic Stardu Valley set up. But after being there a little while, you learn that there are two factions on the island, and one of them is a kind of cult esque church that wants people to be traditional, and the other is your grandma's witches coven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that has they're working for a long time to kind.
Speaker 5: Of help these two worlds coexist, because you later find out that there's actually an entire secondary location, which is a world of werewolves and vampires and fairies, and you can date any of those characters, you can romance any of those characters. This is a really delightful game. It's very immersive. You can sink a ton of time into it. I would say it's We've had a lot of games since Animal Crossing hitting COVID and people really discovered Sardry Valley that have tried to be a kind of triple a gaming experience or an animal crossing level experience, a Harvest Moon level experience. I would say Wildflowers is the closest we've gotten. The voice acting makes a massive difference. It adds a lot of time to the gameplay if you actually have conversations with everyone. There's a great central mystery. There's loads of fun tasks.
Speaker 6: If you're a task based person. You can learn errands.
Speaker 5: For people, you get to actually have magical powers, and you get to have a familiar This is just, like, I think, a very underrated game. If you're in the cozy gaming community, you obviously know it, but I actually think there's a lot of access here for people who haven't necessarily found that cozy life sim because there's a little bit more spice with the witch elements. It's also just really fun to play. There's like any good cozy gaming. There is like a mining element, there's a conflict element where you fight goblins or in this case, you also have to chop down these kind of cursed plants that grow around the town.
Speaker 6: And yeah, just a completely fun, dynamic.
Speaker 5: Cozy, witchy game that I think is up there in hindsight, will be seen as up there with the best that this genre has to offer.
Speaker 4: How hard are.
Speaker 6: Okay, the monsters are actually very hot. It's more of a classical It's not your boulders.
Speaker 5: Gate like sexy Asterion. People are doing fan art of them. It's not that level because this is still like a cozy, kind of Chibby Mysims esque design. But once you really get to the other, once you open the other location and you end up meeting the fee and the werewolves and the vampires and stuff, there is definitely a monster for everyone in there. If you want a bit more of a fantasy with an elf, there are elf characters. If you want like a sexy not binary vampire who like loves eating meat, you got that. If you want like a were wolf, he is probably I would say, the most obviously kind of sexy monster.
Speaker 6: He's kind of like a professor esque ware.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, like the dark academia kind of vibe.
Speaker 6: But also this is another exactly so yeah, I just I really loved this game.
Speaker 5: I have played it more than once, like through, because it's really fun and yeah, just just great times.
Speaker 6: This is I think a sort of an underrated one.
Speaker 5: I think it's usually about like twenty five bucks on the switch thought too, so I feel like it's a very good price and a great game to kind of lose yourself in over the holiday.
Speaker 2: Joe out here doing the dark Lord's work.
Speaker 7: Joel Sexy are the monsters Joel.
Speaker 6: Is and Montsterfucker.
Speaker 5: Which is why it's shocking shocking to know that Joel was not a.
Speaker 6: Huge fan of Robert egg Is Nosferatu. You can listen to that episode of Vision.
Speaker 4: Just have to be high in this rule Number one.
Speaker 1: Great recommendation, Rosie. Okay, let's move on to our next recommendation, and this one is if you want to beat up on some goblins. But in a funny way. I believe, I believe this is Carmen and Aaron girl power.
Speaker 10: We have finally finally been given access to a Zelda game where we play as Princess Zelda herself.
Speaker 6: Yes, hey, first canon like main line game. There you get to do that?
Speaker 8: Yes, there is what is the other game where.
Speaker 5: I believe it was like a fighting game couple of dynasty, But this is the first.
Speaker 6: Like main legend of Zelda game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So if you are a Zelda Maine and Smash Brothers like I am, you're gonna you're gonna love this game.
Speaker 8: It is in my opinion.
Speaker 10: I've played, I've played, uh yeah, I've played every two D's Elder game except for like the Minish Cap and this has got to be my favorite two D Zelda game, next to Link Between Worlds, which is also a really fun two dame. You really can beat up on goblins and the funniest ways pot you don't even actually have to beat up on problems.
Speaker 8: You can.
Speaker 10: Once you unlock the water block Echo, you can literally cast a water block and then drag whatever the enemy is except for like a boss fight of course, into a water block and drown them right there.
Speaker 8: So you can just drown your enemy.
Speaker 2: If the sword and shields too much for you, you just water board them totally, just.
Speaker 6: Row that goblin.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I love picking them up and just dropping them off cliffs. I love picking them up and dropping them into water. There's all sorts of creative ways, and you can actually the cool The other cool thing I really like about this game is that you can skip like intended areas that you're supposed to like figure out your way through.
Speaker 8: You can just skip it.
Speaker 7: By by uh using the water block, using the.
Speaker 8: Water block or the bed which the bed, well, the bed in the water block will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go.
Speaker 2: So Aaron is in the main you know, you know in Link to the Past Inks Awakening, everyone's going to be like the most used item is the boomerang or the hook shop. Yes, well, and echoes of wisdom. The most used item is old bed and water blox and like those literally you just you can get anywhere you want with those pretty much. And maybe you cast a bat so that you can glide somewhere when you jump off a cliff. But like, yeah, I love how creative this game is and how creative it allows you to be. Yes, it will present a puzzle or a fight and you can solve it in any number of ways with any number of different tools that you're casting or echoes that you're casting.
Speaker 6: If someone has never played Zelda.
Speaker 5: Before, yes, and is like this sounds fun or looks cute and cozy and that kind of like like the Link's Awakening game, is it like an easy game? Does it hand hold you through the beginning? It can somebody who's never played.
Speaker 10: You know, That's the reason I'm a Nintendo girl is that Nintendo does tend to kind of hold your hand through the games. So it does kind of hold your hand a little bit. The most challenging parts of the games are going to be the boss fights and then solving the puzzles in really creative ways. There's lots of different ways to solve the puzzles, but you just have to figure out an experiment a lot like I've spent a good like thirty minutes before in a room with a treasure chest that I can see, trying to figure out how the hell to get to this treasure chest with all my different That's.
Speaker 6: A classic Zelda game. Yeah issue, Yes, so I like.
Speaker 10: That, and it's very creative. So there's lots of different ways to solve the puzzles, so I think if you've never played a Zelda game before, it's very approachable. The most stressful part is just going to be those boss fights. I think the boss that I struggled with the most was the Temple boss. I don't know about you, but I hated that the fish, Yes, hated it, hated it, hated it.
Speaker 8: But otherwise it's pretty easy. I will say too.
Speaker 10: Out of all of the two d Zelda games out there, this is the most like fleshed out in depth. Like she has costumes, she has accessories, she has she has uh level up, you can like level up her wep, Like there's like things that are I don't that are that I've never been into Dzelder games before.
Speaker 8: There's a smoothie guy. There's like all of these yes, perfect, And you can wear a cat costume and.
Speaker 2: You was gonna say I once I acquired the cat costume, I have not changed.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: My wife walked by ones while I was playing. She's like, what game were you playing? You're just like a cat.
Speaker 8: And you can talk to all of the cats in the game.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's so fun.
Speaker 7: Carmen.
Speaker 2: Where does this rank for you on the list of Zelda games?
Speaker 10: Oh my god, Oh my god. I have to say so. I love Tears of the Kingdom. I think lately Tiers of the Kingdom has been my number one. I would say that this after I think I think this is number two, and then I would say number three for me is a link between worlds. Wow, I really like those three. Those are like my top three Zelda games.
Speaker 2: I think I would probably put link to the past, Breath of the Wild and Ocker enough Time as like my top three in some order, depending on my mood at any given time. Yeah, this is definitely if you like this is I say that not to say this is a bad game, simply that this has a huge set of competitors it's going up against.
Speaker 7: If. Yeah, it does.
Speaker 8: I mean, there's so many good Zelda games. It's hard to It's.
Speaker 6: Hardselda games is some of the best games ever made.
Speaker 2: Yes, And because of that, I think this does benefit because there's some incredible Zelda nostalgia here. You meet both kinds of the Zora, you get so many musical cues going on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's so it also wants us.
Speaker 5: Kind of like an entry point to kind of Zelda lore and tropes that you would then go on and see in other games.
Speaker 10: That's really It's got all the decu, the gore on the what are the people in the desert called?
Speaker 8: Yes, it's got the Zora, yep, all of it. It's all there.
Speaker 2: It would be very funny though, if this is your first Zelda and then you go to play Breath of the.
Speaker 7: World, why can't I water block this person?
Speaker 6: Water block? Wait a minute, the war characters are looking a lot sexier.
Speaker 8: To the Kingdom.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could rank this as your number one Zelda game because the rest are really.
Speaker 6: Like Okay, wait, wait, we're all going to beat up a boo.
Speaker 5: So some messages from a sponsor while we beat him up, and then we'll be back.
Speaker 9: Perfect but in a funny.
Speaker 11: Way, in a funny way, funny way.
Speaker 7: Okay, and we are back. Next up.
Speaker 2: This game didn't actually come out this year, which is totally okay. This is still a game that has had a resurgence in popularity this year, And this is for you. If you want to sneak attack a mind flare while your friend knocks at a yankee prone using key points and then your other friend uses telepitheater drop that gyankee into a wall of fire, or maybe if you just want to do some sexy time with someone in your camp, or.
Speaker 1: If you want to suck the mind, can't fuck the mind?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, spoilers, spoiler spoiler Which.
Speaker 8: Game we're talking about? The Wildflower game.
Speaker 7: Again, this is Echoes a Wisdom.
Speaker 4: We're talking Bolder's Gate three, which is coming in in a very interesting year. So studio developer Lorrain and Wizards of the Coast, which is owned by Hasboro, split ways at the top of the year. A lot of controversy. People thought it was with the D and D fans have a lot of being Wizards of the Coast. Since it's been acquired by Hasbro for a lot of different reasons, We've seen a ton of layoffs, there were random rule changes, want charge us for stuff we were already had, Like what are we doing? Lorraine has been very insistent that this was not a Wizards of the Coast decision or poor partner management, but that this was simply because they felt they didn't have the heart for a balders Gate four, which is a crazy decision for a company to make. You made an insane amount of money off of Balderskate three, and they're like, listen, it's just not in our hearts. We have to go a different direction, which is really maybe.
Speaker 5: They were just protecting themselves from like how much energy and crunch they had to do to make such a fantastic game that's like aspirational. They were like, you know what, I just have the energy man instead of have it in my hat, it's I just go to do something else.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful as a company game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was going to be my point. Actually, I think they're protecting themselves from you can't top a perfect game, just.
Speaker 5: A game that got like unbelievable reviews like across the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it is a perfect replication of D and D. And by this, I mean, like what's been really hard about replicating D and D in the past is like you really need good uh dungeon guide to get you through a great game of D and D. You need to be able to be surprised, You need to be able to replay as a different character and have a different experience and doing this authentically. If you've ever played a multiple choice game before, you can see the patterns. You have a B or C, and if you choose be most of the time you're gonna get B outcome. If you see most I need to see outcome. It's like it's very easy to see here. You can't see the thread work. It's so layered and wonderful. And because the companies have split, this is the last update we're getting with Wizards of the Coast Slash D and D rules, So We got twelve new subclasses with this last update, which is pretty exciting. Can you a speed run of the new updates? Okay? Really what you could do? If you play us a bar You could do College of Glamour, which basically lets you use like fay wild magic to become so beautiful and alluring that nobody can deny you, which sounds like a lot of fun Barbarians.
Speaker 2: College of Glamor feels very scanling from Fox. I don't know the background, but I believe he's called totally.
Speaker 4: You do Path of the Giants if you're a barbarian, which allows you uh to deal additional damage with throw attacks. Plus it increases your carry capacity, which is nice. Also, Giants range becomes passive, which is just so helpful. Cleric you could do Death of Domain, which is really exciting. You can real live corpses and now they work for you if you know how much time you spend around dead things. That is very intriguing to me. Drewid Circle the Stars Less. I like this one a little less. You use like constellation powers. You can do Archer, Chalice or Dragon, which gives you different options. The archers radiant damage with astral arrows. The life giving Chalish restores hit points which could be helpful, and the Dragon allows you to deal damage with added bonuses to constitution roles. This is like great strategy edition, but if you're a story based player like I am, your like, screw the strategy. I need to be able to dive into these characters. Paladin both of the Crown, you're righteous. You got a lot of clarity. You can tunt your enemies with strategic interrupts and keep your party standing strong with divine allegiance, which is helpful. Okay. Fighter Arcane Archer, you can master dual arts of magic and marksmanship. I love playing as a fighter. It's one of my favorite categories. And to introduce magical elements to a fighter, bam, let's go really excited. My most favorite one though, Monk Drunken Master. Okay, this is where. So if you play D and D, you know there's a thing called home brews, which essentially, if you're playing a home campaign with your buddies, your game master might be like, hey, for our personal set of rules, we're going to allow your weapon to do xyz. Basically, you can make up rules that you agree upon as a table, so they have home breands and things which are not typically in the game. Drunken Master is really cool if the ability to consume alcohol straight from your inventory. There's a ton of liquor all over this game, so very easy to acquire those, and it restores your key, which is important because that's how you deal your larger hits. Okay, So you can also share your bottle with enemies using Intoxicating Strike and you'll generate above toward your armor class and your chance to hit drunken targets. Drunken enemies are also susceptible to the Drunken Master's other abilities, like sobering Realization, which sobers up drunk targets, dealing physical and psychic damage. I just think from a story element, Drunken Master is a great way to lean into I have fought drunk a lot in this game. It's very challenging, and I love the idea of being able to do it, and it's actually really helpful. Okay, I'm gonna go through. The last one's really vast ranger sworn Keeper. You get different swarms of things, jellyfish, bees, whatever, and you can use them to attack. I'm terrified of swarms of things. They really gross me out. This is horrifying. Sorcerer shadow magic. I mean like it sounds. You can hide in shadows, you can walk between places that are in darkness. This is really cool if you play as a rogue a lot. I think that this is a really dope element. Warlock hex Blade make weapons out of magic. Mostly. This one seems to be like a change in your artistic visual stuff of things you could already do. So what you might have cast before with like a staff, now you're doing it with a sword. That's cool. Wizard Blade Singer. It's a subclass marriage of sword play with wizardry. Sort of same things. Warlock hex Blade, wizard Blade Singer. The other her favorite one is swash Buckley. The first time I played D and D, I played as a rogue pirate Lyra who got kicked off of her ship and was forced to party around with these bozos until she could get back to her ship and her lady Love. I loved Lyra. I love playing it her. I miss her frequently, and the fact that they're adding a swaph I was like, I'm recreating her in this game. She I now have a swashbuckling class. That's amazing. One of the cool things is you get to do like fancy footwork, which I think is great. I really like these new class boo. I know you've played a lot of B D three. Is there a subclass you are most excited to tap into?
Speaker 9: Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: That's what I was gonna say, Okay, this is good to know.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this, I don't know what a subclass is. When you play BOULDERSK three on Easy, there is no sub question. Just play your primary class.
Speaker 5: If that was gonna be the question, I was going to ask that all sounds amazing and cool and also like we should be doing a D and D group together, and I'm like, twenty twenty five, let's put that on an x Alvy list.
Speaker 6: But if you've never played D and D or.
Speaker 5: You're just getting into it, or you've watched Stranger Things and you think it looks cool, or your friend's saying, hey, you need to have sex with hysterion, can you play boulders Gate three?
Speaker 6: Aboo.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I was just gonna say, like, as incredible and in depth as Joelle's summary there was, if none of that made sense to you, like none of that made sense to me. You can still completely play this game and walk away being like that was the greatest game I've ever played. Like the magic of this game is like I've never really played D and D outside of like one off sessions here and there over the years, and you just don't have to. Like D and D is very in depth, then that's obviously what people enjoy about it. But you can just play this game and have an incredible time, and the game will handle the D and D of it all.
Speaker 4: It'll handle the rules and that's the magic and the math, which is really really hard. If I have add the first year and a half of playing D and D was a struggle for my friends. They were so lovely and patient with me. So I was like, wait, what I'm massing it?
Speaker 8: But I want to tell you that is mostly math.
Speaker 4: It is. It is a predominantly math and knowing how to read a map. Yeah, I will say, like, what's really cool about subclasses is, for example, if you're playing on Easy and you just have the Broad class, you're a Barbarian, You're a rogue whatever, Like it's really cool and if you understand basic fight mechanics, you sort of get it. This guy's a tank, this one's a healer, this person somewhere in between. But with the subclasses really allows you to imbue an element of your own identity and story into the character. One of my favorite things about BG three is the character builder. It's super unique. I had a friend who was a beta tester for this game for like a year and a half before it came out, and so I played the intro to balder K three probably nine times just because we would costantly play it over and over again to figure out, like, oh, here's what they've changed. They've you know, smoothed out the mechanics here or whatever. But one of the best things they did was like, early on, all the l's are white, and I remember being they were like, what are your notes? I'm like, give me a black else? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm like, why can't I only play as an elfin D and D ever? And I was like, this is horrifying. You have to give me black and brown l's. And when by the time the game comes out, it's so smooth and beautiful. And so if you get into subclasses, which I highly recommend you do, you can really articulate your character in a specific way, so that how their fighting reflects how you sort of view them in your heads story and also gives you an ability, like now that there's Steam and you can do crossover play, which is the thing I've started to do with my friends. It really gives you the ability to craft a team that is like unstoppable if you have a deep understanding of how the subclasses work. It's been a lot of fun to play around with them. Looking forward to diving into some more of these and the next year. I think this is a game that, like, if you're a scrim fan, a Skyrim fan, you know you could play that game twenty years after it came out, still fascinating. All of the Grand Theft autos have similar playback ability. I think this is a game you can be playing for a very long time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to say, as someone who has DM multip one off's for a boot the disrespect, I felt that I was like, I don't have that much familiarity with D and D.
Speaker 7: I don't know what subclasses are.
Speaker 6: Brings about to fight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, send a swarm keeper over at you a boot the nice thing. In addition to all these sub classes, they made a bunch of the mods that were only available on PC are now available on console as well, so if you are interested in playing, the game is very very large, like sometimes intimidatingly. So they now have two X and ten X experience point modifiers, so if you want to just go through it a little more quickly, there's there's a lot of extra stuff to add into it. My favorite mod they added more capes. I was very upset at the end of that one, but I only had Oh my god, yeah, I had one cape and that was it. I was like, I have a party of four at all times, and only one of us gets a cape.
Speaker 7: That is not fair.
Speaker 6: This is candalus.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 5: Most important question though for many of us out there is there a dog and can you pet it?
Speaker 4: Not only is there a dog and you can pet it, you rescue it in the woods. You get to decide whether to save it or put it out of his misery or send it away. If you save it, he comes and brings you little treats. When you go to camp. He's like, hey, I found a little potion. He is precious. And you can also have an owl bear if you prefer.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can have both. You can have a dog and the Albert don't have to choose.
Speaker 4: I killed the owl bear the first time, and then I felt my friends would not let me live there. How could you kill the baby Albart? I was like they said it was bad, Okay, I trusted the people I saw on the road. I'm so sorry, all right?
Speaker 2: From Balder's Gate three, And yes, we do still need to figure out a way for Rosie to play this.
Speaker 5: Yes, I need to get a PlayStation with five guys if I don't.
Speaker 6: It out book like, come on, I need to get a gaming lot.
Speaker 7: I do that.
Speaker 4: Well, you can play ste on your MacBook and have I have bald date three on. I can't play right now that I'm enough memory, so you know, but.
Speaker 6: Not enough memory BIB.
Speaker 2: For our listeners that need to kill a little bit of time while they wait for Rosie to open up Bather's Gate three, A boo, why don't you talk about Hades two?
Speaker 1: That's right, and in fact, kill a little time is a bit of a pun because Hades two Cardinal is an isometric rogue light rogue light with the most gorgeous art style you've ever seen, maybe one of the.
Speaker 5: Best looking games in the last decade.
Speaker 9: And the Oh my gosh, I throw the soundtrack on all the time.
Speaker 7: Darren is incredible And if.
Speaker 1: You're if you're also a sucker like me for Greek mythology, like this game has it all and you're in particular. In Hades two, you are on a revenge mission as the daughter of Hades and you're out to kill Kronos, the Titan of Time. Itself incredible and it's so good. I mean, Hades won is incredible and won a bunch of awards and is one of the biggest games of the last few years for a reason, and somehow they're pulling it off again with Hades too.
Speaker 9: Right now, to be clear, it's still in early access.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can only play it on Steam or like me, on Steam Deck, which I think is the best place to play it. And it's still a work in progress actually, So I actually have a family member who got obsessed with this and commandeered my Steam deck for weeks to play so much of it, and she has reached the end of what they've made. Like once you play enough of it, you just get a message on screen that says, Okay, we haven't made the rest of the game. Yet congrats on playing all of it so far. And so she left it, and you know, I was talking to her recently and I was like, I'm going to talk about Hades on X ray coming up. What do you want me to say about it? And I think what was interesting is she also loved Hades one and her take was if you bounced off of Hades one, if you played it because so and so recommended it to you, and you were like, ugh, I'm getting frustrated. I'm not having fun. I'm just doing these same levels over and over again. It's getting stuck at the same spot over and over again. Give Hades to another shot, Yeah, because they've fixed that, like I'm stuck against a wall problem that a lot of Rogue like and Rogue Light games can become. That I think a lot of that turns a lot of people off. This game has like practically no grind, Like if you get stuck on a certain route, there are multiple routes you can go and you can just be like, fuck it, I'm just gonna go work on this route for a little bit and then once I'm ready and leveled up, I'll just go back and try the main route again. There's always like two or three different things you can be working on that are all going to help you get it's stronger so that you can work your way through the main route versus in haities one, you just kind of had to keep doing the main route over and over and over again and continue leveling up until you could make it all the way through. So I think there are some smart decisions in this game. It's also in early access, like I said, so it's being developed so like it will only get better, which is kind of astounding because if they release this game today right now, in its current state for sixty full dollars, it would absolutely be worth every single.
Speaker 10: Penn Yeah, okay wow, And it's supposed to be done in like March of twenty twenty five, right I believe.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: They this is a very small indie studio, and I've heard they have a pretty good sort of company culture. They're very anti crunch. So it'll be done when it's done.
Speaker 9: If it takes it.
Speaker 1: If it takes them a whole other year to get through it and put it in a state where they call it final, that's the time they're going to take. Okay from what I know, So there is no hard date or even target date. Yet it's still just an early access and still in development. So that's my recommendation. Play Hades two. You just have to play it on your Steam deck right now.
Speaker 8: Have to wait till it comes to the switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like allow a right, well, Carmen while you kill time waiting for Haiti Shooters to arrive on the switch. If you're looking for a game that has some repetitive tasks for you to do to distract you from the horrors of everything the world in general, has a suggestion.
Speaker 5: Yes, this game is called Unpacking. This is probably the most relaxing game.
Speaker 6: That I played all year.
Speaker 5: It's beautiful to look at. It is not a big time commitment. You can finish it quickly if that's what you enjoy doing, but you can also play it for a long time and take your time and dip back into it. Great game to play before you go to bed if you're a relaxing gamer. For a long time, that for me was the Pokemon Cafe game, but this took its for a long time.
Speaker 6: It's so good. It's so good free game on the switch. Everyone should play it.
Speaker 5: But Unpacking is essentially like a cozy game where you essentially explore a life through unpacking different houses throughout different years, and it is so beautifully rendered. The art style is completely gorgeous, and it has that best kind of balance that a lot of these games do, whether it's like November or you know, as I mentioned before, like Spiritfarer, it has like a little melancholy like you can kind of work out through the game, Like as you unpack, it's like, oh, you were obviously moved in with someone in this game, and now their photo is not.
Speaker 6: In your next house, so like what happened to them?
Speaker 5: And it is so cool and thoughtful and interesting, and the mechanics are so great, and you add a lot of freedom to like Desigre, I'm the rooms as well, and there's sometimes you're just in a flat share, sometimes you're in a small apartment, sometimes you move into a big house, and you learn a lot about the different space that this person is in through their spaces.
Speaker 6: It's just such a great game. It took me way longer than.
Speaker 5: It should have to get it because this is always up there on like the best cozy games, but this one was a really great find at the end of the year for me, and I'll definitely be going back and replaying it.
Speaker 6: Because it's just so intricate.
Speaker 5: You've got everything from like a little video game controller, where does that go to like the razor.
Speaker 6: In the bathroom, And it's yeah, it's great.
Speaker 5: It's so it's so much better than my superlative or any reviews can really explain. It's it's kind of a prime example of what's great about a cozy game.
Speaker 10: It's a twenty dollars in the Switch and I just bought it and downloaded it to my switch.
Speaker 8: About it, I.
Speaker 5: Will also say if you're like a if you're like a thrifty per and you're like, oh, maybe twenty dollars is a bit much for a game that's maybe like six or seven hours, Well, guess what.
Speaker 6: It's always on the Switch sales.
Speaker 5: So if you always go to that great deal section on the Switch, you can usually find this or Wildflowers. But yeah, come and I'm very excited to your thoughts because it really is just a totally unique game. It's yeah, so if you do love unpacking in real life, I hate to pack, but I do like ye unpack and like, you know, establish a vibe of a room and stuff.
Speaker 6: And this definitely gives you.
Speaker 5: It's definitely got a little bit of that like sims light like kind of vibe, like if you are someone who just loved building the house in the Simper Animal or Animal crossing the expansion on the DC Happy Home signs, I love that game. This is definitely very similar to that, except there's less like celebration of somebody coming in and being like you did a great job, or like I hate it, and this is more like you're just like, isn't this just the brigmarole of life? But isn't it that small rigmarole actually amazing? Like isn't doing the small things the work of life?
Speaker 6: Like It's it's very cool.
Speaker 7: In that way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, solid, it's a very cute game.
Speaker 7: So that's it.
Speaker 2: So those are our X ray reretivations. Just to recap really quickly. We had Bilatro, we had Marvel Rivals, we had Dragon Age Vailguard. We had hell Divers too. We had Wildflowers, we had the Legend of Zelda, Echoes of Wisdom, Balder's Gate, three Haighties, two, Unpacking and playing a game of D and D with me where I'm dm ing that a boo has I guess fallen asleep during or something.
Speaker 7: He missed it, he forgot to show up.
Speaker 5: We have okay, now we have to have like there, we can do our D and D campaign, our x av r V and our honor will be called like a Booze redemption.
Speaker 1: Right, a boo learns what a subclass is. That's the whole campaign. All right, Well, thank you all for your recommendations and for thanks to me and joining me and Aaron for today's fun little episode all about gaming coming up on X ray Vision. Oh my goodness, there's so much to cover. We're gonna be talking about Skeleton Crew, We're gonna be talking about nos frot To and of course the new season of Marvel What If. All of that in future episodes of X ray Vision. But that's it for this episode of X ray Vision. Thank you all so much for listening.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 3: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Booze Afar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 5: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator, h h.
Speaker 7: Boo, you missed it.
Speaker 2: I wrote it so it was. We've got Skeleton Crew, no Sparatu and Marvel what if to
Speaker 4: You got jokes