Speaker 1: Scaled, Come.
Speaker 2: Robb froll Scam, come rob that's froll.
Speaker 1: God is what's popping? Congregation, it's your girl. Lacey Moseley aka Scam, got his back with another installment about the podcast about robbery, fraud and those who practice it. Sometimes we love them, sometimes we hate them, but we will always laugh at them because this is a comedy show, but never the victims. Hey, Congregation, what am I excited? Yes, thrilled. Thank you for the call and response. I am thrilled to have our guests today. He is a new member of the church. This is his first time at service, so please give him a warm welcome, even though he's probably already been welcomed into your homes and your lives for a long time. He is the hilarious Emmy winning co showrunner of Abbed Elementary. He co developed the acclaimed animated series Holly Quinn. He gained initial fame from creating the Twitter feed and best selling book Shit My Dad Says a Man, and is releasing a novel called Get Lost, a fast paced and hilarious thriller about a young woman who reluctantly teams up with her dad be dad to find her missing mom When does he sleep and he is a dad, y'all, No dads could be scams, but obviously Justin Halper is not. And congregation, please get up out of your seat, stand up in your cars at the red light, and welcome Justin Halper to the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, Justin, Hello, thank you for having me. What an intro?
Speaker 1: Wow, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited to talk scams.
Speaker 1: I'm really like trying to do intros as a metaphor in my own life.
Speaker 2: For my own funeral. I hope someone does my intro to my funeral like this.
Speaker 3: Wow, that would be yeah, that would really be like an amped way to start a funeral.
Speaker 4: I feel like usually people go low, but I think I think pumping up a funeral.
Speaker 2: We even want my casket to be there when people arrive.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be announced who's dead, and then they roll out the casket with music.
Speaker 3: Like the beginning of like a Lakers game, right, yes, wow.
Speaker 1: At five foot nine about to be six foot under Lacey Moses. You know, yeah, that's pretty great, like a little real of my greatest hits.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, maybe the lights go dark first and then yeah, get to build up music, right yeah, yeah, now I want to go to a funeral. Yeah, you're outlive me by about thirty years, but I still want to try.
Speaker 2: Oh who knows?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 1: And justin you might need to be responsible for writing my intro. Very good at writing that, just for sure. All the Emmys and Accolades and shows that I watch and love.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I found the one thing I can do that was a whole scam.
Speaker 2: Here was to get you here so you could write my.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: But I want to know about your relationship with scams. And lately on this show, I've been asking my guests their opinions, their expert opinions on three random topics, and I want to know for each topic, is it a scam to you? Is it a scheme to you? Or is it a real thing? So is it a scam, a scheme, or a real thing? The first one is tax accountants, scam, scame or real thing? And I will define that a scam is like inarguably a grift, a scheme, just a little scammy, but legitimate. And then a real thing, obviously is a real thing.
Speaker 4: I would say if you make over five million dollars a year, it's a scam.
Speaker 3: And not the rich person getting scammed. It's it's all of us, everyone else getting scammed. I know, where are you going under that? Say a real thing?
Speaker 1: Oh, it is a scam when you get richer, because then it's harder to tax you. Yes, and the IRS is criminally underfunded. And like when you get so rich that you could just send U haul trucks to the IRS and be like try to find the needle in the haystack.
Speaker 4: Yep, you send a thousand pages of documents all reporting losses.
Speaker 3: That is a total scam.
Speaker 2: I am so poor. Don't look at me on my yat. I'm poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is my poverty. Yeah, I'm so poor. I have to live on water.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm always floating back and forth.
Speaker 2: I have to be in Greece. There's nowhere else I can go, Yeah, because of my poverty.
Speaker 4: Also, if you have to send your money to another country on a one stop then that means the you're a scam.
Speaker 1: Honestly a dream of mine for.
Speaker 3: Your money to live somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I'm trying to get to Switzerland. I'm definitely trying to get to the Caymans. Like I remember visiting the Cayman Islands and I think that they're probably the least friendly tourists spot in the Islands in that area, and I was always wondering why, and then I was like, oh, because they don't need tourism net bag. Yeah, they have everyone hiding their money there. They were like, listen, little white girl, we not going rade o' here and put polka shells in it.
Speaker 2: We don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: That's right, And I love that for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have no kids clubs there, there's no Yeah, they don't give a shit, can't fuck Okay, yeah, it's right.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure kid's justin.
Speaker 3: No mind too, let's just.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Okay, my next question for you. Scam schemer, real thing justin credit.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a scam.
Speaker 4: That's a total scam because it just prays on people who can't afford to pay off their bill every month, and then they use all that money that they get, all this late fees and stuff, to you know, subsidize all the other bullshit they do.
Speaker 1: That's the scheme, right, And it was invented in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Anything invented in the eighties is the scams.
Speaker 1: Anything invented in the eighties, you know, somebody was on cocaine when they made it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and what about this numbers?
Speaker 1: We make numbers, Yeah, and those numbers aside who we get the houses to? Hey, everybody sounds great, that's right.
Speaker 4: In the eighties you did cocaine, you either created die hard or a scam.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: I would rather create die Hard. But maybe I would love also to make a scam.
Speaker 3: That's just true.
Speaker 2: It might be the best time for scams.
Speaker 1: I mean madeoff was doing well in the eighties, you know, Yeah, and he made off with everybody's money.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: So maybe I happen to agree with you on that for sure. The last question scam scheme real thing love?
Speaker 3: Oh, real thing? Oh yeah, that's right. That's right. It's a real thing. Doesn't mean we all get it, but it's a real thing.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can't have none, but just justin over here saying like it's real.
Speaker 2: Y'all don't know about it, but I do.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Oh that's beautiful. Why do you think so?
Speaker 4: I've been happily married and in real love for well, I should know this. If I'm happily married sixteen years wow, and I one hundred percent feel it's a real thing.
Speaker 1: Sixteen years, that's right, that is a long time.
Speaker 3: It is a long time. It does feel like a long time.
Speaker 4: We were at a wedding and they do that thing where it's like, if you've been on the we've been married more than five years, get off the dance floor, you know, to see you, and they keep going up and up every year, and I was like, damn, we're one of the last ones here.
Speaker 1: I actually love that. And perhaps if I ever trick someone into getting the government involved in a relationship with me, I will do that because I invertally actually did that for my friend Taylor Mishaks. I was making cards for like, I did this whole wedding decoration and her trailer and stuff, because while we were shooting Going Dutch the first season, she had to fly home, get married, and fly back, and so her husband came with her on the way back. But we obviously you know, when you book a flight, you'll book a job, and sometimes I guess when you book a wedding you'll book a shot, right, And she was like, this venue is way too expensive, y'all go have to get move some stuff around so I could at least get home.
Speaker 2: So they gave her like an extended weekend.
Speaker 1: So I decorated her trailer and got a bunch of like bridle stuff and gifts and things. But then when I asked people to sign cards, I had three different cards. There was one for the cast, there was one for the crew, and then there was one for anybody who had been married over ten years?
Speaker 4: And how many was that? Was that like a large section or was it you're surprised to find.
Speaker 3: Aunt a ton?
Speaker 1: It was, but it was It was funny because I had to do what your friends did at their wedding, where it's like, if you've been married.
Speaker 2: For five years, get off the dance book.
Speaker 1: I'd literally hold the card up to people and be like, hey, how long have you been married?
Speaker 2: Okay, sign this one, not that one.
Speaker 1: But then for like people who had long lasting marriages, like sign this one with.
Speaker 3: So were writing a little message to message. So what group wrote the best messages?
Speaker 1: Oh? It was absolutely that people who had been over married over ten years. Joe Morton wrote the best mess Like he's just a poet and a genius and a savant. He doesn't really watch TV. He just lives life.
Speaker 3: That's shocking. I can't do that I can't either.
Speaker 1: I love TV me. He's like doing Falconry and I'm like, you sure you don't want this VPN because even though we in Ireland, we can tell everybody we in New Jersey, so you can download these shows. Yeah, my bad, I did watch a lot of abbit from New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, right, listen any way we can get it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Still I think it's still counted as a string.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it count I think I still see something from it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, well, thank you. I love I love those opinions.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been.
Speaker 4: Scam justin I'm sure many many times. I've been part of scams. Oh yes, yes, I well you jump.
Speaker 2: From victim to participate room.
Speaker 3: But I know, I know I was sometimes one.
Speaker 4: I used to work in an internet company, this company called break dot com, which doesn't exist anymore, like a video sharing company maybe you remember now, and yeah, that's probably better.
Speaker 1: But you're sorted by calling it an internet company, which already told me it.
Speaker 2: Was a scam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, right right, and break dot com yeah, And they would be like Coca Cola would like want to place their ad on the video page, and they would promise, they'd say Okay, you're going to get one hundred thousand views, and you pay us money for those hundred thousand views, guarantee. But what we would do on our side is we would go to we had to deal with this super nasty porn site. And on their site, super nasty porn.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Porn itself already sounds, but I felt.
Speaker 3: Necessary, that's right.
Speaker 4: I felt necessary to clarify that's what this porn site was. It wasn't just one of your mom and popcorn sites, one of your nice, down the middle porn sites.
Speaker 3: This was nasty.
Speaker 1: Those are your suburban port no, that's right. So y'all had to deal with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so what we do is on their page, on their site, it would be like a gang bang of four chicks and two like whatever, and it'd have a thumbnail of that. But then when their users would click, it'd be like Coca Cola, the brand, blah blah blah and so, and then it would we get all these views. Right, we'd get like a because nobody's going to actually click on a Coca Cola ad, but they will if they.
Speaker 3: Think it's a gang bang.
Speaker 4: And so my job was to put that video up and then send it to the porn company.
Speaker 3: I didn't put up the Gang Bang video. I was on the A side.
Speaker 2: Of that, And well, justin you were the original bots.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, that's kind of botting.
Speaker 2: I can appreciate.
Speaker 1: Now it's just random and they're just under everything and they're saying random stuff.
Speaker 2: I would appreciate being tricked out of.
Speaker 1: You know what, what if my super nasty porn affliction.
Speaker 2: Ended because of a Coca cola?
Speaker 3: You think we brought people to the light.
Speaker 1: Because this is how I stopped doing super nasty porn watching.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say they weren't holding that when they clicked the ad. They were holding something else, but it was yeah. So then, actually, the way we got caught and by the way, it wasn't my idea.
Speaker 3: I was just pushing the buttons.
Speaker 4: But the way we got caught is the the company was like, hey, how come people are only watching our ad for point zero zero four seconds? Damn every time they clicked because people would click it, see it wasn't what they thought.
Speaker 1: It was then clicking and then they went back.
Speaker 2: They weren't.
Speaker 3: They weren't Cokela No, no, they.
Speaker 2: Or they were but not in that not in that way or in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, I mean but but I think that they couldn't get upset about that because this to me like it is scamming the nasty porn watchers. But for the company who paid for the advertisement, they got the views.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I don't finish your session and then all of a sudden, your jones are for a nice cold coke.
Speaker 4: Maybe people are nobody is in a better spot to take in advertising than maybe the person who clicked on that ad. Like they're susceptible to anything in that moment, they're really open.
Speaker 2: They are really open and in more ways than what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the jerkoff demographic is really underutilized.
Speaker 1: Honestly, If someone advertised me while I had my koodio out, yeah, that's that's like memorable. That's a memorable experience. I'll never forget it because I'm very vulnerable in that moment. I'm gonna remember everything. Yeah, you've got your lotion and your tissue and you and and and what maybe you're in the bathroom hat in for.
Speaker 2: Adrenaline.
Speaker 4: Is you're gonna mem Yeah, you're gonna know and then afterwards you're gonna want maybe a Coca Cola. Yeah, so maybe you're right, you know, maybe it wasn't a scam. Maybe this's also this is sol legit.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think break dot com was giving everybody a break.
Speaker 4: They were you know, so they went out of business, but yeah, I think we should bring them back.
Speaker 3: It is a business model there for sure.
Speaker 2: It is scarf.
Speaker 1: Cod Oh my gosh, tangent. But we'll get into the story. But that also makes me think of like how you know, certain websites, like porn websites have like communities and comments sections. Yeah, and I'm like, who is bonding over this? Who finishes whatever they're doing to themselves? And it's like I need to leave a comment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have thoughts, yeah exactly that I couldn't keep to myself that I needed other people to know. Also, when you finish doing that, the ability to do anything usually is pretty tough.
Speaker 1: So that that which makes me think these are like super type a people, yeah, who like maybe schedule their diddling in their day and there's like time to diddle, all right, seven minutes out the window time for me to leave a response.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really enjoyed this video.
Speaker 4: I thought we got great to the point I think it's people on both ends of the productivity spectrum. It's the people who probably don't get anything done in an entire day and the people.
Speaker 3: Who are like the CEOs of companies.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right. I think it's exactly that. It's how they always say that if you are miserable, you either have not enough money or way too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're leaving a comment on a porn video, yeah, you're too much time or not enough or not enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sometimes I think about this one comment I saw once on a porn video and it just said, hey, great job.
Speaker 4: Oh, and I thought, wow, they I like, I was like, they must think that the person in the porn went back and I guess read the comments.
Speaker 1: They might.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if people look.
Speaker 1: At their views and people like, you know, want to make sure that they're spreading, you know, the disseminating Yeah, the work, ye, the products. Oh my gosh, I sound looks such a prude, but the work the pornographic cinema.
Speaker 3: Pornographic cinema. Yes, no, but but I think that's lovely.
Speaker 2: You did say justin there that love is not a scam. So that was sweet of them to say. Good job.
Speaker 4: Guys you know, might have cheered up that person. They were having a tough day, they went and looked at the common section of the porn that they're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, you guys get on Apple podcasts and leave me a good job. It's five stars.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Break dot Com isn't here anymore. Okay, but if it was, I would advertise on it. I would love for it to be like Nasty sex binge before it's scam God is, and then maybe you would listen to the podcast afterwards. But let's get into my favorite segment here, historic could wings. This is where I were a gale justin with a famous con caper scheme. Maybe it's a group of criminals, a single actor, a couple. We don't know yet, and we'll get his opinions all through out. So today keeping.
Speaker 2: Up on our dad theme, because we've talked about all the things that dad's love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got born else.
Speaker 2: Coca Cola love, being tax accountants.
Speaker 3: It really is a dad centric start.
Speaker 1: Yes, making up credit in the eighties definitely someone's father. So we're talking about a suburban dad and aspiring musician Mike Smith who made ten million dollars by creating thousands of fake listeners.
Speaker 2: Was he also a break a break dot com? Justin was this you no? No plow were.
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But I wish I could pull off that hat.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Justin is giving you might have had a TND and he was has some biceps.
Speaker 4: That is the best I've ever looked, By the way, what every photo musician he can never look at the camera.
Speaker 3: It's always like off into the distance.
Speaker 1: Honestly, musicians are the only people who can get away with fedoras. It's still ichy, Yeah, it's still iky, but when a musician wears it, it's like, oh are you Santana, Like, we'll let this happen. Other than that, stop wearing them, especially if you're approaching people for threesomes. I told y'all, it's always a really beautiful woman who approaches me and a man in a fedora in the corner like yes, and I'm like, no her, sure.
Speaker 3: You know's got to send her over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also he could not wear the fedora.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I feel like once you're into threesomes, you have to have some kind of hat. You can't you can't just have your regular hairstyt But I.
Speaker 2: Feel like that's not the hat that convinces me you're good at three.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know why I'm defending this, this hypothetical guy. I'm not, but I'm bald, and I like hats.
Speaker 1: I like hats too. But I also love that he's posed in front of this graffiti wall holding his guitar, looking like he's midstrum. It's it's really giving.
Speaker 2: It's giving, Jason Maras, it's giving, Jason Maras. I agree, Jess, it's also giving. Jason. I feel like he could do a flip. Look at all that white he got on. You know he can do a flip.
Speaker 3: Has he got a vest on too?
Speaker 1: A white vest over a white T shirt with white pants? Is that not Jason Derulo? Okay, I bet you we could do a flip. And if the door stays on.
Speaker 3: See, that's the kind of guy I wanted a threesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, now you're don't make me like that. Now if I get into the situation justin, I'm going to call you like this. I didn't. I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: It happened. He did a flip right in front of me, and the hat.
Speaker 1: Was on, and I was like Okay, give me your hotel room key, I'll come. Okay, I'll be there. So this this suburban dad and aspiring musician Mike Smith. He made ten million dollars by creating thousands fake listeners to stream his also fake music, so.
Speaker 2: He could rake in the royalties.
Speaker 1: So Mike was a dad in his forties who wore tight shirts and known the chain of urgent care facilities.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's not where I thought that was going. Wow, really, anybody but anywhere but there?
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't think we're gonna go for urgent care?
Speaker 3: No tight shirts and also rescued dogs.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, I don't know if I want tight shirts, and I'm like, I think I have strip and then just the tightest shirted.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: This is such a specific kind of person in their forties. Really though, as a man in my forties, you have to make the decision that you're never gonna wear anything super tight again.
Speaker 2: You have to have a good bod.
Speaker 3: I don't, but thank you.
Speaker 2: I know you do some type of recreational sport.
Speaker 3: What is no, I don't know. It mostly just looks like I have cancer, but but I don't. And I appreciate and support everyone.
Speaker 4: Who does but I don't. But I look like I do, and so that's why I wouldn't wear it. That's why if something looks tight on me, it's simply just because I'm deathly skinny. But this man, I think he obviously works out, probably no more than two days a week.
Speaker 3: But none of them are legg day.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you know those calves are skin teeth, Yeah they are. But I think he feels good enough to try to wear that tight shirt. And I think, as a guy in your forties, you have to just transition out of this shirt.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are people who accept that they're in their forties and they hang out with people of their own age and their own ilk because they enjoy the camaraderie of talking about things with people your own age.
Speaker 2: And like, my little sister.
Speaker 1: Moved to Los Angeles to go to grad school, and I realized because I was like, oh, I was going out of town again to shoot, going Dutch in Ireland. I do that for like four months year, and I was like, oh, I don't know anybody, Like I need to find some friends for her because I'm gonna be gone and I don't want her to be alone. And so then I started thinking, like, who are my friends in their early to mid twenties, And I was like, I don't know anybody in their early to mid twenties. I literally had to ask friends and then be like, can your cousin you want to do a cousin date with my sisters so they can meet it. They could, they could be friends. Like I didn't know anybody, but that guy, that guy in that tight ass shirt, he knows all the people in their twenties and probably some club promoters.
Speaker 4: Still, yeah, and that's probably really problematic. I don't know that he's probably had one good interaction with one person in their twenties.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when I was in college, there would be an old person and like there was this this football player who ex football player who owned a chain of check cashing places.
Speaker 3: Was there either, Wow, And that's the same with him.
Speaker 2: He's a tight shirted man who owns some urgent care.
Speaker 1: So maybe that's the formula is you got to have one thing that don't go with the other, and then you stay in the And he was.
Speaker 2: In his fifties.
Speaker 1: He would take us to the clubs, he would take us everywhere, and uh, you know, one time he did trip and fall, And that's when I really realized how old he was because when he tripped and phil like, we were all out and drinking and stuff. But if it had been a younger person tripping and falling, I think we all would.
Speaker 2: Have laughed and been like, oh, bit the gasp in the silence when this old man fell, we was like, oh, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna die?
Speaker 4: By the way, that was his nightmare because he would have felt so much better if everyone laughed. But the fact that you were seriously concerned about his health, that's what that. Nothing is more sobering than people recognizing how well je.
Speaker 1: When you start tripping and people are concerned if you're okay and not making fun of you. Yeah, you turned the corner. You've turned a corner. And so you know, he got the tight shirts on, he's got the urgent care. And this is when he decided to start self rising or self financing a rise to music start up because tight shirts and urgent care were not enough for him. So he lived in a big house in Charlotte, North Carolina, with his six kids and wife until that stopped inspiring him and he.
Speaker 2: Got a divorce.
Speaker 3: I didn't know he had to be inspired to stay married.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've been married for sixteen years. I think you've been inspired.
Speaker 3: I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mike.
Speaker 1: Mike said, I'm not aspired by my family no more. Y'all ain't got the rids no more. Okay, they stop wearing tight shirts. He was like, I'm out of here. He fruit of the low mass, bitches, I can't be with you no more. So he reconnected with and married his college girlfriend, which reminded him how much he liked a jam session back in college.
Speaker 3: You're describing the saddest man in the world.
Speaker 1: He shouldna stay with his family, Yeah, because he went and married somebody who encouraged his corniness. And I'm sure his friend in college, who is unmarried at this age, was like, you know what he got them urgent cares. I'm gonna ignore the fact that his nipples are rock hard in every room we go into, because I need financial stability in a person of my own age.
Speaker 2: And then she was like, yeah, baby, get back into jamming.
Speaker 3: Man to the garage. No one's ever been more divorced than this guy. This is wow.
Speaker 2: That does feel like a divorced man's hobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No one jams, but divorced dads the only people who jam.
Speaker 1: Divorce dads jam, and dads who have been buried and you know for like forty years, they put like together.
Speaker 3: Boats and bottles, yes, yeah, and intricate train sets.
Speaker 1: Intricate train sets. Yes, And that gives them a thrill up their leg that they need. So he knew how to play the guitar, banjo, piano, drums, bass, mandolin, and the docimer.
Speaker 3: Wow, I've never heard.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've heard that in my ear or heard of it at all. But he and he always thought that he could be a star.
Speaker 3: So this is oh God, just to go laugh him, I'm sorry, keep going to be a star just he could.
Speaker 1: This newly divorced guy used the money from his medical business to fill his music career because he thought treatment treating people for ail miss that wasn't enough for the world. Now said fuck that I actually need. My music is gonna heal y'all. Yeah, more yeah, even more.
Speaker 3: Character that's gonna rack up the bills to pay for this.
Speaker 2: He decided he was the Patch Adams of music.
Speaker 1: So all y'all needed a little music, y'all gonna be Okay, So Mike linked up with a music publicist named Hey, best known for promoting his name was Hey, this is Hey.
Speaker 3: Yeah absolutely, he looks like Hey, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this is the straw man.
Speaker 4: When has this guy ever been introduced into a story and things got better?
Speaker 1: Why do I feel like I'm on like the Wizard of Oz, Like we've got Mike, he's Dorothy and the two tight shirts.
Speaker 2: We've got Hey, he's given.
Speaker 3: Me like the Cowardly Lion, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Cowardly lion or horse scarecrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, you're right, scarecrow, little of both.
Speaker 2: He's given scarecrow as well.
Speaker 1: And Hey was best known for promoting a false rumor that Rihanna had hooked up with jay Z to boost attention for her two thousand and four song pon the Replay.
Speaker 3: He is famous for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a famous industry liar.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't know that you could, Like, is that a business?
Speaker 2: I mean, what is Perez Hilton?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well but this guy just did it once.
Speaker 1: That's what TMZ used to be and now they want to be real journalists. GMZ knows if you're dead before you do, I.
Speaker 3: Hope.
Speaker 2: So we used to not trust them, but now when they pop up, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, now they're the most trusted. I'm like, I'll wait to see what TMZ says.
Speaker 2: That's all you know.
Speaker 1: Outlets are funcked by the government when you're like, I'll wait to see what TMZ says. And sadly that is a real thing in my brain. I kept seeing rumors that Erica Kirk was at Coachella, and I was like, m I'll wait to see.
Speaker 2: Before I believe this.
Speaker 1: So SMH Records shake my head is what that sounds like to me. But in this case it's Mike and Hey, I don't know what the S stands for, We'll find a star. They started a music label called SMH Records and plan to work their way through the industry as producers while also making Mike himself a star. Mike had the money to open the label, sign artists and produce their albums because remember he left people who needed health care behind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, as we all do as a country.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, to make money being a star. Yes, And this is SMH records social media page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Y'all need to get my king sway off of here. Okay, get him off of here. Don't do my king like that. See he belongs on this page that makes is that a what's that old man's name? The light skinned one who's old. People are gonna get really mad about this. Not mister world Wide. He's an old like a Motown crooner with light green eyes who had a weird sex album recently.
Speaker 2: But he's in his eighties. Oh damn, I know somebody is screaming right now.
Speaker 3: Smokey Robinson, Yes, show he does.
Speaker 2: Smokey Robins has a show here.
Speaker 3: It's a channel, Smokey's the Soul something or other. Yeah, yeah, and he hosts a channel on serious accent.
Speaker 2: Wow, y'all listen to Smokey's.
Speaker 3: And we brought him up because we love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it might get weirdly horny, but don't don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: There's not another way to get horny in your eighties. It's only weirdly horny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I'm happy for them because I hope to be weirdly horny in my eighties. So Smah's got a distribution deal with Capitol Records subsidiary, and a Universal Music executive left a senior vice president position to be their chief operating officer.
Speaker 2: So they got some real backing behind this.
Speaker 3: And with these meetings that they were taking with Hay and the other guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike and Hay and maybe S.
Speaker 2: Maybe is that S?
Speaker 3: We don't know who is.
Speaker 1: So Mike and Hay made two albums together. One was called Fear of a Pink Planet? Is that about women? Maybe?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Maybe that would be a good inso bop.
Speaker 4: It feels like a good insul that's like a clovicular bop like that's.
Speaker 1: And it was inspired like it was credited to this group called Pink Grenade, which also feels like men being afraid of Like, yeah, what if a coucie was a bomb?
Speaker 3: Well, what if it was?
Speaker 1: That's what women leadership feels like to them. Oh no, we have a coucie bomb boss.
Speaker 6: Oh no.
Speaker 1: And then they had another album called When Music Worlds Collide, which is not no. Yeah, Fear of a Pink Planet I might tune in, but When Music Worlds Collide feels bad and credited to Mike and Hay and the Bay Area hip hop artist DJ King Tick.
Speaker 3: So that's not one of the Bay Area hip hop artists I've heard of.
Speaker 1: No, I have not heard of King Tech, it goes.
Speaker 3: And then DJ.
Speaker 2: Then it goes DJ King Test.
Speaker 3: Those are the top two Bay Area artists.
Speaker 2: I would throw it.
Speaker 1: Oh too short, too short, and you can't forget what's the space with the paint hammer?
Speaker 2: Mc hammer?
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, that's true. He certainly wouldn't forget it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm scared of him. People don't know those don't let them funny pants for you. That man was a gangster, is that true? Yes, and very feared and respect him. Really, yes, you're being serious.
Speaker 2: Yes, mc hammer was. He he was out here at him a time, but then everywhere else they were like it's the hammer.
Speaker 4: Run like yeah, it's like hearing like Mickey Mouse fucked people up right, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is comical.
Speaker 1: That's why I love that sketch in The Chappelle Show where it was Wayne Brady and he was like, yes, Wayne Brady the bitch and everybody's like.
Speaker 2: It's why Brady run away?
Speaker 3: Like wow, I know that.
Speaker 1: So both of these albums had tons of features, including one from Parliament Funkadelic drummer Jerome Brayley and uncredited monologue.
Speaker 2: From Johnny Depp. On one song, Johnny Depp went on there and did a monologue.
Speaker 4: Did he know he was doing it for like, did they take it from a movie or he actually went on and just did a monologue.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes in our career sometimes you just show up places and they tell you you gonna get money and then just.
Speaker 3: You just do it.
Speaker 1: One time, I was on camera and they were like, we'll give you five thousand dollars to open this ruler. And I was broke at the time. I don't know how I got this job, and I thought maybe it's gonna kill me when I went. But I was like, got a risk it and I went, and they just wanted me to comically open some very complicated science thing for a tech conference. So it's probably to be like, look at this hot dummy who can't understand this complicated ruler.
Speaker 2: Look at her how dumb and hot and on TV she is.
Speaker 3: Man's the only one who did it.
Speaker 2: Cecily Strong, did.
Speaker 3: You both open? You both open for this tech company?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was filmed. It only took thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't know what they did with it. Travel the nasty point. I'm right in front of a co commercial right now, rab.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: The Avila Brothers songwriters and producers, best known for their work with Usher, recorded one of his songs with Billy Ray Cyrus and Snoop Dogg. That makes sense to make a Snoop Dogg just be doing anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'll do whatever.
Speaker 2: He'd be doing anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so the song is called Lipstick.
Speaker 1: It's a song about Kim Kardashian and features Ashley Holmes, who was famous for being one of the Real Housewives of New Jersey. And let's just hear a little bit of lipstick Jonathan Hay and Mike Smith, Oh, lipstick, pink grenade.
Speaker 2: Hey, I hope my mom do the song.
Speaker 1: I know you wont my lipstick on your tip stick.
Speaker 2: Than your stupid hos Mac on my face. I'm rocking diamonds on my little bitch. Now you're playing with the pros a foot fetish.
Speaker 3: There's a ton of foot fetish in this.
Speaker 1: You on with my big old double dhoy. So she's looking licking a white joy with your big pallas.
Speaker 2: I know you want my lipstick you okay?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: That's yeah? Is that what you did for the tech company?
Speaker 2: I know you want your roller in my pool.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of the like little Mama lip Glass five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my lip blouses Poppet made. That's what they were going for.
Speaker 4: But it's all about sucking dick dipstick, which yeah, which is like a nobody even says that. Well, it's like like, ah, your nineteen forties dipstick, like that's nobody uses.
Speaker 2: That and it's meant to be grotesque, but it's actually kind of like funny.
Speaker 3: Why is she stepping on lipstick over and over again because.
Speaker 2: She's gonna put it on her toes so she could put the toes on the dipstick?
Speaker 3: Also, has a music video ever been made for less than this?
Speaker 2: They cut back to the shot several times.
Speaker 4: There was it's literally taking place in like one room, in one part of one room, like the other part of the room is probably like people in cubicles.
Speaker 2: Like it's right, and you're so right about dipsick being so outdated. It's giving like I.
Speaker 1: Know you want my palt on your pad to welcome tonight, Like what are we doing? And why so they wrote this I would hope so yeah. So now if only Mike's music had been good, this system would have worked. We have another song that we want to show you justin if you're.
Speaker 2: Okay with it.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 1: It's called Let's Take It Naked. Maybe it's better. The song is crashing my computer.
Speaker 2: Hold on, here we go, Okay, do the starts with.
Speaker 1: Due to our strong personal convictions, we wish to stress that this film in no way endorses the belief in the illuminati.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a warning like that before.
Speaker 2: It's like the beginning of a BHS tape. Uh oh oh, it's huragan. Okay. It's a lot of cocaine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much cocaine, but like not in the way that you would think people would do cocaine.
Speaker 4: No, it's like he's doing cocaine with a crazy straw though, like a straw from a children's birthday.
Speaker 3: He gragged to do cocaine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, to coca like coming to Swanson's and big Sunday straw.
Speaker 2: We don't need to see anymore.
Speaker 1: If let's take it naked, it's actually crashing our computer, which makes sense. It's so bad it's imploating things. So let's get to the rap reality competition show. You knew that was coming up next, right, justin absolutely like Mike and.
Speaker 3: Have does the Zeus network come up anywhere in this Batty?
Speaker 2: It's a book for the world. Obviously, I've seen it.
Speaker 3: I have to say, Quinta Brunson will not let me watch anything on the Zeus Network. She's banned me from Yeah you know.
Speaker 2: What, and I appreciate that Quincy did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know.
Speaker 2: We both worked on a Black Lady's Sketch show. That's how we met.
Speaker 1: And uh, she's protecting you from a gaze that only black people should see.
Speaker 3: She said that I shouldn't see it.
Speaker 1: It's shameful and we don't need you to think about any of us that way. Too many wigs flying and all they do is give them ladies tequila and the occasional dorito.
Speaker 2: And tell them to street fights. And I feel like, now I'm selling it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just did the worst job of not getting people to watch the Zeus Network.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna admit it.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 2: I've seen the things.
Speaker 1: But for me, it's cathartic because I was like, if my acting career ever, or any of my performing careers went south, I feel like I could get one. Yeah, I'd be okay out of someone. Oh, that wouldn't be my role. I feel like there's no one on that show who likes It's like very prideful to like win a fight and stand on business. Yeah, I feel like I could sit on Shenanikins and I could run away, like everybody would just be me running away like no, and if they happen to catch me, be like oh ow nobody.
Speaker 2: Oh Like I feel like that would be good for me.
Speaker 1: So the rap reality competition show this is where Mike continues to pour money into his dreams, even though these songs were objectively terrible and somewhat terrifying.
Speaker 2: So and they don't even turn to be good bad, They're just bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So next he fully self financed a rap reality competition show called One Shot. He made it himself with no network attached in twenty fourteen, and we have a little bit of the trailer of One Shot. I'm guessing that Eminem was popping and he was like, you only get one shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah. We set up one stage, one stage rich with one ties to impress all celebrity judges a woman each week MC's Move On. One will go home with one hundred K and a record deal. The others just go home way King Crooked and King One Undisputed King of the Mic DJ Khalil, who will make that one shot count.
Speaker 3: This is reality.
Speaker 5: One Shot from twenty seven September seven on B B E T.
Speaker 2: I knew I had heard of one Shot. Damn it.
Speaker 6: It got me, by the way. That is a who's who of people who will do anything for my money. That's like, yeah, I feel like justin.
Speaker 1: When you're writing the eulogy for my funeral. We can definitely get Dj Khaled on the mic to say we the bess.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, or we want the best Heavy was, yes, we can get t I there too.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, you can.
Speaker 1: Die whenever you like. Yeah, we yep, yep, we got it. We got a whole line up coming. So Mike and his main collaborates are collaborators.
Speaker 2: Crooked, Team Keck and Sway Callaway.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Smike.
Speaker 1: They held these nationwide auditions and they got t I, Riza, the Game, Tech nine, Twista, and Dj Khaled to do the guest hosting. Crooked says that they filmed nearly eighty percent of the show themselves and used that footage to create a sizzle reel and sold it to BET before completing the production.
Speaker 2: Sure was like, yes, we love these Shenanigans.
Speaker 1: For the winner of One Shot they promised one hundred thousand dollars in a deal with Smah Records. Oh god, the coveted so because he paid for it, Mike got seated at the judge's table. Though he's barely in the trailer and it's often unclear why he's on the show at all, he wanted to be in front of the camera as well.
Speaker 2: There is not wearing his fedora, but definitely looking out of place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no he does. I mean, that's a pretty motley crew.
Speaker 1: But you know what, he probably took inspiration from Diddy because Diddy used to always be in his artist music video unnecessarily and everyone had a problem with it. Like that was the thing that Shuge Knight talked about. He was like, if you don't want you producer in your music video, come to death Row Records. They knew he was a minis for a long time. So around the time the production on the show started, Mike and Hey got in a fight. Hey started to suspect that his buddy's finances were not all in order. He and other ESMAHS employees sent their business associates a one hundred and eleven page document accusing Mike of financial mismanagement. Mike reply alled with one sentence, how would you reply, justin, wow to you're a business partner who's now outed you to the entire company saying that you're mismanaging finances.
Speaker 2: What's one sentence? I would just shut it all down?
Speaker 3: I mean, did he reply with his bank statement?
Speaker 2: Wow, Justin you're a real class act. He said, you got a tiny penis?
Speaker 3: Oh, well that's drying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got I like we call it a penis, You got a tiny penis. His words for phallacies are dipstick, dips, penus s.
Speaker 3: Long like this dude has never referred to a dick.
Speaker 2: No, he's never sexted.
Speaker 3: No, no, or he has, but he's It's ended very quickly.
Speaker 1: I'd love to be the speculum and your hap smear like I feel like it's like when we found out Prince Charles was calling Camilla talking about I'd love to be your tampon.
Speaker 2: It's giving that like, Sarah, what.
Speaker 3: Check out my hard wiener are terrible?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Wiener's awful.
Speaker 1: So the show aired its only season, Shocker, on BT in twenty sixteen, which feels too close to the present even though it's ten years ago. It didn't turn Mike into a star. But at least he made up with his friend Hay and they kept trying. So the French that I made up.
Speaker 3: Good, I'm glad.
Speaker 2: He said you had a tiny penis.
Speaker 3: He was like what yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, how do you think they had a real hard to heart out?
Speaker 2: Love is real? So you just love Israel. So let's get to the fake listeners that sparked all of this.
Speaker 1: In twenty seventeen, Mike started to use fake email addresses to create bot accounts on streaming platforms that could play his music on repeat. Now he started to get some traction with the royalties. The bot accounts started running up the streams. At one point, he had one thousand and forty accounts, each one streaming approximately six hundred and thirty six songs a day, with his music accruing about six hundred and sixty one thousand, four hundred and forty streams a day, and the average royalty per stream was half a cent.
Speaker 3: Whoa, so yeah this is back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Mike estimated he was earning about three thousand, three hundred and seven dollars and twenty cents a day. Wow, so like ninety nine two hundred and sixteen dollars a month and over one one point two million a year.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is making me think differently about dipstick.
Speaker 2: Should we write a song?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Patty Whacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Patty Whackers, we have you stepping on lipstick?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, something something in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This this feels like I'm I've turned a corner on this guy. I feel like this doesn't seem like someone was a tiny penis to me at all.
Speaker 1: No, or maybe yeah, or maybe they basic Yeah, he just to distract from the penis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's constantly calling to him, like make more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll get bigger. Yeah, you'll never be big as you can.
Speaker 1: And then they'll think I'm big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty four, he had as many as ten thousand active body accounts streaming the music. Twenty eighteen, he and his boy Hey released Tiny Penis. Hey release the Jazz album. They've moved on to jazz. They love Negro genres. Really, they're trying them all. They're like, black people have been very successful with this. You can't do a hip hop, let's try jazz a school but bup and it hit number one on the Billboard charts. They're out there, jazz album. What Yeah, But the next week it wasn't on the chart at all. There were no tweets or online comments about the songs on the album. Hey looked at Spotify's dashboard for artists and saw that listeners appeared concentrated in far away places like Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Was jazz this huge Vietnam?
Speaker 1: Oh they love it in.
Speaker 2: Vietnam, schoop it about. Yeah, but yes, that's how they won the war.
Speaker 3: That is how they won the war. It was through jazz.
Speaker 2: It was through jazz. Yeah, that's what the movie La La Land is all about.
Speaker 3: It's about how jazz won the Vietnam War. Yes, yeah, for the Vietnamese. Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So that's when he started getting notices from distributors and companies that handle the licensing of indie artists music flagging their music for streaming fraud. Meanwhile, Mike was celebrating finally making it big because he had something on Billboard charts and they don't know how, but he did. And also this the jazz Billboard charts. I feel like it's probably pretty easy to squel.
Speaker 3: By Ranford Marsalis and noah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe like Miles Davis just keeps coming back off the charts, ye, you know, and then Mike bitches Brew just is constantly a hit, you know yeah, and then Mike yeah was like Mike yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it goes Miles Davis, physical Lespie, Mike Yeah, the great yeah, so elephant Gerald, Mike and Mike.
Speaker 2: So Mike is celebrating.
Speaker 1: Right June of that year, he shared a photo of his Spotify stats on Instagram with two hundred and fourteen thousand, eight hundred and seventy five monthly listeners and Mike loves to be specific. We've got his money down to the scent here, and he said he had more than seventy two thousand listeners on that specific day, and the caption was that's crazy and thanks to everyone who listens. Truly grateful. Hell, look how humble he is. Wow, he's so humble.
Speaker 3: He's so humble.
Speaker 1: He said, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you put in the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not crime, that's no. Yeah, thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Butts so.
Speaker 1: Frod flags start popping up and Mike needed a new tactic to keep from getting caught.
Speaker 2: A billion fake streams for one song looked suspicious.
Speaker 3: Sure from Vietnam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from Vietnam where there's.
Speaker 4: Like four million people there total who loved jazz. Yeah, who do love jazz.
Speaker 2: That's and they need to listen to it billions of times a day.
Speaker 1: So, but a fake billion fake streams spread across tens of thousands of songs, it's more difficult to detect. So artificial intelligence songs were still a new thing in twenty eighteen, and Mike got in early, working with the CEO of an AI music startup to create hundreds of thousands of fake songs to send two streamers, once again AI.
Speaker 3: Improving the He was really ahead of the game.
Speaker 2: He really was when it comes to crime. He was like, hey, I definitely a scam. Let me get involved.
Speaker 1: And so in twenty twenty four Mike had made ten million dollars with this scheme and that's when.
Speaker 2: He finally got arrested by the FBI.
Speaker 3: Dang flew too close to the sun, honestly fake.
Speaker 2: The industry, music industry has so many scams going on.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm like, why is he any worse than anything else?
Speaker 1: And I would be on his side if he wasn't using AI you poison to black people in Memphis, to the scubay bop bops from Vietnam.
Speaker 2: So we can't be serious. And now we have his mugshot here.
Speaker 3: Shot. No, but he looks really alert, Yeah he does. He looks the most awake anyone's ever been.
Speaker 1: This was quite the sobering experience ye him because he's looking directly in the cameras. It feels like the Mona Lisa scams, like the eyes follow you around? Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 3: That do you think they raided his house?
Speaker 2: What were they gonna get? Probably the computers and stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: And the AI songs have largely been scrubbed, but much of the music Mic released is under his own name and still wildly like available. The AI music startup isn't named in court documents, but it was probably Boomy And that, finally is how Mike Smith became a famous man, which is what he wanted from the start. So he got famous from being arrested for making AI music and making millions.
Speaker 2: Off of it.
Speaker 3: Is he still in jail?
Speaker 1: Well, he was arrested in twenty twenty four. Oh yeah, so you know it's twenty twenty six. He made music history as the first person in the United States to face criminal charges tied to streaming fraud.
Speaker 3: Who stole more music camer elvis?
Speaker 1: Ooh, we got we got a Mamma Thornton. No, that's a ooh on the right side of history.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: You better be making a show with a black woman and know that that the elvis was ripping off everything.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: He was a hand dog. But that was big Mama. Honest.
Speaker 1: I think Big Mamma Thornton was the name that they gave her a dream Girls And that's not actually her name.
Speaker 2: But we all we all know where I'm getting with this. Yeah, but yes he was.
Speaker 1: He was really, even hardcore. Arrest documents say he fraudulently inflated his streams on platforms like Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube music.
Speaker 2: Poor guys, pour all of them.
Speaker 3: Can think of anyone look out for YouTube?
Speaker 2: Can anyone look out for q ball?
Speaker 4: Jests Nochede, justin would listen any kind of bald representation.
Speaker 3: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: You got Professor X.
Speaker 3: That's right, it's yes, yes, it's always good.
Speaker 4: When when Professor X is the first bald man people think of the made up character. Think of a cool bald guy. Well, I can't think of any that are real. Let me go to professor X.
Speaker 2: Damn. You're right, you're right. I thought of a real bald guy. Yeah, my dad's they're bald, okay something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're pulling off a lot of white people can't pull off.
Speaker 3: Bald Thank you. Yeah, I appreciate that. It looks like you had a little bit too, did you know, Not as much as my wife would like, but yeah, gotta do better.
Speaker 2: You know, the light coming from the state, Yeah shine, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: There have been reports that Smith's music Mike Mike Smith also popped up on SoundCloud Pandora title now.
Speaker 2: You Got Besay.
Speaker 3: You knew she'd make an appearance?
Speaker 1: Honestly, bease perform one of the songs. I want to hear one of the songs okay at uh Part part four, Part three, No, part three, part three, Yeah, part three. You give us some scam as so and even boom Play, a popular streaming service in Africa. So in response to like Spotify said it's preventive measures like caught Smith early, minimizing the royalties they paid out to just sixty thousand dollars for Smith's own music and the AI generated tracks.
Speaker 2: Now, I love this.
Speaker 1: Spotify saying that they caught this early almost in a way that like they were the fraud stoppers.
Speaker 2: But I feel like it was more than Spotify was like, we don't.
Speaker 1: Like to give people money, so we had to look into why we had to give him.
Speaker 2: Some that what it was and stop that.
Speaker 3: It was just it. Red flags came up when they had to pay someone. Yeah, that's what it was. There's nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 1: Other than that.
Speaker 2: It's a corporation, and it's corporations. Do we can't be out of it?
Speaker 3: Somebody burst into someone's off and said, do you know we're.
Speaker 1: Paying someone like a lot, like a wage.
Speaker 3: Can somebody fucking stop.
Speaker 2: This fucking wage?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 3: No, we got a kid after it, that's right.
Speaker 1: Pandora also said that they paid out fifteen hundred dollars in royalties to Smith, where Smith Robert Pandora, we love them. It's really quite easy to pull off this kind of scheme. You can look up videos on how to make fake music on YouTube, and guides were creating bot listeners on Reddit. What's surprising is that Mike Smith is the only end of viual who has been caught for it. That might be because a lot of powerful businesses are also engaging in this kind of fraud or at least benefiting from it, so there's really no reason to stop it. Mike must to pised somebody off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was. It just like he didn't cut them in. It's the mafia. It's like they didn't get there cut It wasn't financially worth it for them.
Speaker 1: Right after him, he should have just made some phone calls with some of these larger companies and made them in on the scheme. Yeah, because maybe this helped with quarterly reports. Absolutely, he becomes investors like are looking there, like look at ours, We are in the black and rising, and billions of people in Thailand love our platform.
Speaker 3: Number go up, number go up. That's right.
Speaker 2: That's probably why they're quet about it.
Speaker 3: Number go up. Yeah. Yeah, they don't care how number goes.
Speaker 2: I don't care how number go up? Who number go up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go up? Exactly.
Speaker 1: So the down was a fifty thous that's right. Oh, Ye're worried about the war and food and the straight hor move and then people get kidnapped on.
Speaker 3: The streets thousand, fifty fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: That means something to you.
Speaker 3: We all know what that means.
Speaker 2: You all know what that means. Every day, I'm like thinking about the doll and it was not a fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, what's happening? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why am I even alive?
Speaker 3: I don't want to live in a world where.
Speaker 2: The ghetto. Yeah not everything else? No, no, no, no, no, no doubt. So streaming fraud.
Speaker 1: Some have argued that Mike Smith is actually the robin Hood of streaming fraud, the little guy playing the same game the big labels play every day. I mean, ain't that wide Drake sewing his label because he said that they were streaming, ain't like they ain't like us?
Speaker 2: He said the label was running up the streams. He said, I know because we did it with my songs. And they were like, how're you gonna sue about that? How you go sue?
Speaker 3: You was like, yeah, when you're a part of the lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, because y'all did it to me when and I'm also been doing this.
Speaker 3: Everybody's why I'm popular. Wait did I say that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Anyways, So label streamers and distributors and rights holders all make money on the royalty stream whether the song and listeners are real or not.
Speaker 2: Damn do we always start making fake music?
Speaker 4: Well here's the thing though about calling him Robin Hood. There's the other part of robinho is that he gave the money to the poor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, minor details.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that part seems like it's missing.
Speaker 2: But you know what, he was giving his music to the ear poor.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true.
Speaker 4: That's true for all the people who had to live in a world where because at that time the doubt wasn't at fifty thousands.
Speaker 1: No, so we were shut down his medical clinics, right, because did he shut him down? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like, yeah, he's probably not also operating getting this money from somewhere. So, but he wasn't there anymore to see him obviously. So in current music, like the current music economy landscape, subscription and ad dollars for music and streaming are pooled in one big pot, and royalty money is allocated based on each artist's share of the total streams. BOT streams generate money for who's ever behind them and leave less in the royalty pool for others, which does not sound like Robinhood.
Speaker 2: To me, it sounds like Robin artists. Yeah, you Robin the Hood.
Speaker 3: I was kind of with the scam until that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially like smaller artists there already gets so little for the streams. Like so Spotify itself has been accused of doing this, stacking their playlist with cheaply licensed music to rack up plays and take money out of the royalty pool. I'm gonna stop you there, because every rap listen before there was Spotify, before we had.
Speaker 2: What is the one that I'm thinking about, that's like Orange SoundCloud.
Speaker 1: Before we had Spotify, Before we had SoundCloud, we had rappers with CDs in the back of their trunks.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: So now maybe Spotify is just creating a space for the rappers with the CDs in the back of their trunks to get their music into the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I remember, you know, walking down Hollywood Boulevard, people handed me their CDs.
Speaker 2: I remember like a thing where we used to call people SoundCloud rappers.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a way, I deeply identified with that because I think starting an acting career is just like starting a rapper.
Speaker 2: Career, Like we are SoundCloud rappers.
Speaker 1: I was trying to get people to come to my improv shows or watch me in this show. I'm in it for thirty seconds at minute fifteen forty eight. Don't miss it tonight on Fox.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's tough because they've given them this opportunity, but then they also pay them dogshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, Mike Smith was a true fraudster.
Speaker 1: Even the actual businesses he used to bankroll for his music label, reality show and fake bot streams. Oh no, they were also a scam. We're getting to the end, getting back to his medical businesses.
Speaker 3: Does he end up in one of his own urgent cares?
Speaker 2: I feel like if he did, he'd get me out here.
Speaker 1: No, they got his tongue depresses and Q tips and nobody has.
Speaker 2: A medical degree.
Speaker 1: Hell well, the same year one shot aired on B E T Mike and his company calif Carolina Comprehensive Health Network sounds legit to me.
Speaker 2: Lots of words Carolina, which is.
Speaker 1: A place, it's a place, and we can verify that comprehensive, So they do, they can do. You need health, which is being what you want to go there to leave with. Don't want to be sick, No, you want health when you leave for sure, and network which is a lot of things things to get when you need it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a comprehensive network.
Speaker 1: They were accused of men care and medicaid from m in two separate lawsuits.
Speaker 3: See I didn't see that coming at all.
Speaker 1: Whistleblowers and some of his clinics said that they were told to carry out tests and procedures that were not medically necessary and then submit false reimbursement claims.
Speaker 4: See this is why I always have a rule that I'm not gonna go see a doctor who's also a jazz musician.
Speaker 2: I don't know it. Might like them, they can improvise.
Speaker 3: I know, you know what that's true. It's the medications that they don't describe.
Speaker 1: Scoop it it by Bacon.
Speaker 2: I don't know it could it could be a thing.
Speaker 1: One of the two losses claim that SMH Records directly benefited from this fraud well due by September twenty fifteen, Carolina Comprehensive Health Network, I was gonna say, compromise Help Network, which is what it is now, had allegedly paid SMH. So he's paying himself, robing Peter to pay Paul from his own businesses. One hundred and fifty thousand dollars. In September of twenty twenty, Mike settled one of the fraud cases for nine hundred thousand dollars, while the other one was dismissed as for streaming fraud. Mike is out on bail oh and has pleaded not guilty. He could get up to sixty years in prison if convicted.
Speaker 3: Wow, that feels like a bit much to me. Sixty years.
Speaker 1: Well, he's scheduled to be sentenced by a judge on July twenty ninth, twenty twenty six, and that.
Speaker 3: Judge, Judge Branford Marsalis.
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: I hope that judge went to school at the Comprehensive University Network and that he doesn't face any jail time because this is pretty creative and when you think about it, like, yes, the artists are being harmed, but it's not like the music first.
Speaker 2: No, that's like if you if you get robbed.
Speaker 1: That's like if your car gets the tires taken off of it and somebody comes in later and steals your air freshener.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like it already wasn't a working Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: We were more worried about the tires.
Speaker 1: So uh Smith, Mike Mike Smith has also agreed to forfeit over eight million dollars in royalties he gained from using bots to stream, and he's going to be paying that out from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty four. And I bet you he's probably figured out how to get his fake AI stream and service back up so they can make some money to do so.
Speaker 3: I think this guy and AI haven't seen the last of each other.
Speaker 2: No, no, instead of smh, maybe it's SMP five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's ahead of his that's right, he's just ahead of his time, he is. He was just so like a click too stupid.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I wish he would have done is like not use AI to make the songs. I think it's a complete waste and we don't need it. But and obviously he was covered on the show many times. I'm not gonna hop on some soapbox at the end here, but I wish that he would have just made terrible songs all day long.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what everybody else does, right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it was just like the amount he needed to make in order to spread these streams across so many songs, and then finally he was just like, I can't make them fast.
Speaker 2: I could have kept remixing Want My Lipstick on a Dipstick.
Speaker 3: That's true, the most remixed song of all time.
Speaker 2: There's a jazz version. It's great. It's actually very classic.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm just floored.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday night. My mouth is right.
Speaker 3: I don't know what i'd be. Like, we put that up up on Spotify and we see what happens.
Speaker 2: I think we do, and we remix it, yeah, and we also wrap.
Speaker 3: It does feel like ai use is the real like shit thing he did.
Speaker 4: But like, I mean, I don't think you can. This is just a personal opinion. I generally don't think you can scam up.
Speaker 2: WHOA, Yeah, that is a huge prom to drop at the end of this show.
Speaker 4: I know, but I think it's like like you just said earlier, though, like think about everything the music industry has done to performers, Like, if you're scamming the music industry, is it really a scam if you're scamming someone more powerful than.
Speaker 3: You, So you do agree you can scam up, I wouldn't consider it.
Speaker 4: I mean, in the technical term of scam, maybe but like, in the spirit of scamming, I don't think it's a scam.
Speaker 1: Wow, you just threw me on a roller coaster. At first I thought we were going to have to fight, and Justin I was like, oh my god, I'm have the break his glasses.
Speaker 3: Kick them a little bit, be right too.
Speaker 1: But no, that's like the most ethereal way to say it. It's not a scam. I say, scam up. But you're right, it's not a scam. If you're scamming up, it's really only a scam if you're scamming down.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: The power dynamics have to be taken into account.
Speaker 2: Yes, I say that all the time, but I've never phrased it that way.
Speaker 1: And it really was a shocker.
Speaker 2: Sure, some people crash the cars. I'm sorry, y'all bill it.
Speaker 1: To Justin's insurance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a scam.
Speaker 1: So I was like, yes, it is, but oh my goodness, thank you so much for being here, Justin, and for offering so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. This is fun.
Speaker 1: And would you like to.
Speaker 2: Tell anyone where you can be found and where they can watch see read.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a novel coming out called Get Lost that comes out July seventh. I think it is a fun beach read. One of the characters is a big scammer.
Speaker 1: Oh I love a beach tread. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fun kind of other daughter story.
Speaker 4: Father is a yeah, kind of a big scammy scammer, a little bit a piece of shit, and him and his daughter have to find the missing mother.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm definitely going to be beach reading.
Speaker 3: This, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm excited about it. And uh, if if you watch Abbot Elementary.
Speaker 2: If you watch, if you've heard of it, if you watch it.
Speaker 3: Please watch Abbot Elementary and Harley Quinn on HBO Max.
Speaker 1: And that's all it as absolutely And y'all, when you're taking Justin's book, get Lost to the beach, bring scam goddess as well to that. I don't know if I'm a beach read. That might be more of a hospital waiting room read, you know those wait times alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my book you can read and you get.
Speaker 1: Lost with some sand on your toes with Justin and then when you get sunburned and you gotta go to urge, you goddess, and you'll love it. You'll love it the entire way, guys, you can watch Going Dutch streaming now on Hulu, new episodes on Thursdays, and you can watch the first season of Scam Goddess on Hulu as well. Get into that I might have something else in store for y'all soon, hekay, Congregation, I want you how to get out there and stay licking them noopsticks.
Speaker 2: Scam Goddess.
Speaker 1: Scam Gottess stars and it's hosted by me Lacy Mosley aka Scam Goddess. Our producer is Jessica sis Neros, and our audio engineer is Rich Garcia. Research for the show is conducted by Kate Doyle. Stay Skimming