Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to and That's what you really miss podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a big.
Speaker 2: One, the most request or most requested.
Speaker 1: Yes, we heard it.
Speaker 4: We couldn't on here, We couldn't none hear it, we couldn't ignore it.
Speaker 2: We I mean, we also agreed.
Speaker 1: Quinn Fibre herself is here. Diana Agron, the.
Speaker 4: Whimsical fairy angel Unicorn herself, Diana Agron is here.
Speaker 2: And to make it even better, not that she's here, she's really here. This is Diana week on and that's what you really missed. We have part one for you today and then on Thursday at seven am Eastern time, we have part two coming. We really could have talked all day, I mean, but we got into all of it, and we've talked about everything.
Speaker 3: There was just too much to not give you more.
Speaker 1: So here it is.
Speaker 3: Let's get into part one.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, he love beauty, stunning.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, welcome. Look at your faces. Nothing has changed. I'd like to include myself in that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw Diana a couple months ago in Paris, and there was a moment of that time. Stent together, just being like, do we look the same? I'm like, you look the same for sure.
Speaker 1: Hi, Lady d what an honor and a pleasure.
Speaker 4: We're so happy to have you. Congrats on your collab.
Speaker 2: Did you just sound like a clothing collaboration?
Speaker 1: I just I just love collaboration. In all four I did I did over the past year. It was so fun. My friends have this excellent clothing and.
Speaker 5: Company, and I love clothes, so I got to step into their world and do that together.
Speaker 2: I feel it could be so good at that you have like excellent taste and beautiful.
Speaker 5: You say that, and I wish I could show you a photo album and you remember you.
Speaker 1: Were there of some of the insane things I used to wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, you have to try those things out. You got to take risks, swing big. You're not going to get them all uh huh.
Speaker 4: But the Queen of the dresses would show up like to set where I'd be in like sweatpants and a graphic tea, and Diana would show up in like a beautiful floral printed dress at seven in the morning, and like, how does she do it?
Speaker 1: Maybe she will?
Speaker 2: Wait, Yes, that's fair. The power of clothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, Well, we're so grateful to have you here. It's so good to see you in the flash here. I am I Diana and I got on the phone. When was that like a month ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so nice.
Speaker 4: It's been so long, but it's always so nice because everybody just picks up where.
Speaker 1: We left off. Oh yeah, do you feel that? What's the joy of it? Kevin and I walking down the street. I wish our phone call.
Speaker 5: I wish you could have just pulled me through the phone and I could have been standing in front of you. Very doyful to be with heaven walking the streets, pretty pump set memories.
Speaker 1: But I agree, it does feel.
Speaker 5: Every single time like no time has passed, And I think that just speaks to the depth of our friendships and our life experience together.
Speaker 2: Yes, we we were talking about because we've had lots of crew members on the show as well, and how they obviously, you know, see a lot more sets than we do. They've worked a lot more in this business that we work periodically, and the fact that they even have that same feeling that we do. You see anybody from the crew at any point and it feels like nothing has changed and how that speaks to the like you just said, the depth and not just the cast, but everybody that worked on that show, which I think is just really special.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we were we weren't working ten months of the year on set.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then together hours very nuch great every month of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then every month of the year together whether it was on set or on the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like, as I said that, I just had a flashback to Australia.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my. I talked about you the other day to my mom and her friend because her friend was saying that, you know, they went to Australia and do you know there are penguins in Australia. And I'm like, actually, I do know there are pinguins in Australia because and Diana got on a bus.
Speaker 5: I got on a bus to see those baby penguins. It must have been because it was when we were in Melbourne. Yes, and I mean it was kind of an insane excursion.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why we all didn't go.
Speaker 1: Well, we're tired. You had just flown over to Australia.
Speaker 3: Diana like we must do something.
Speaker 4: She's like, should we go to New Zealand and I was like, I think that's a little too far. She's like, but should we see the penguins? And I was like, Diana, I think I'm really tired and I think I'm gonna go lay down. She was like, I think I'm gonna go on this bus.
Speaker 2: She was like already back by the time we woke up.
Speaker 5: Oh, that trip was magnificent and really before we knew the scale of what was to become.
Speaker 2: Do you remember returning back and it was like everything had changed, Like that was like our last moment of you know, like somewhat normalcy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and definitely uncertainty because we've shot pilot at that point seven or eight months before.
Speaker 1: We shop the pilot in what October of that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, And then that was May, so the pilot had broadcast of the American Idol and then we had gone to Australia on our break and then we knew the official.
Speaker 1: Pickup and that we were filming in the fall. Yeah. Wild.
Speaker 4: The craziest cart was through, you know, the time between the pilot airing, shooting, filming the pilot right and then it airing and actually going into season one, we didn't really film with you in the pilot, we spent time with.
Speaker 2: You, time a tiny bit of and I remember.
Speaker 1: It so vividly.
Speaker 4: It feels like longer and more time during the pilot, but it was it was a fraction, and you came on so late to the pilot.
Speaker 3: I think that we have just right. So what remind us what that process was like for you?
Speaker 1: Because it was so fast, it was so fast.
Speaker 5: I I had read the pilot and was going in for Robert, and I went and I say, because you know, the instruction was singing eight bars of a song, trying that might be a non typical song. And I had just recently for my birthday been at the Dresden in Los Angeles and gotten up. It's like such a jazz place and which Laane rip there's wonderful performers in community organizers at Svential place in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And for some reason, one of my friends it was my birthday and they were like, I don't know, Frank Sinultra, that feels right for this joint.
Speaker 5: And it's like, I guess I'm going to sing fly Me to the Moon. Because also I you guys could speak to this. It's very rare that I know the lyrics of a song. I know the melody to a tea. I hear melody before I hear lyrics, ye saying that, and then that ended up being what I sang for Robert because I just thought, oh well, I just did this in front of people at the dress end and I had to come back two days later, and they said and I was already out in another audition, driving across town.
Speaker 1: I think it was in Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: Always it's always Santa Monica.
Speaker 5: Oh way, well, Samonica because it's far away from wherever you live, you know, Last Journey and I the instruction was, we're something a little sexier and can you straighten your hair?
Speaker 6: Like oh no, and uh, and so I go again and then they tell me on you're gonna go screen test or test yeah, And I showed up on the Fox lot.
Speaker 5: I was terribly early because I was so nervous that I didn't want to run the risk of doing anything. And then I walked in and they have me sign my paperwork and I tested for two.
Speaker 1: Other shows before that, so I kind of like new the drill.
Speaker 5: She's like okay, and then we're gonna go in for the executives and there's gonna be other people and maybe they're gonna be in the hallway.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm gonna look at them, maybe not, and then we'll see. And after I signed my paperwork, Cassie was like, Okay, great, it's.
Speaker 5: Yours and you're gonna go to set and do you want to see footage from the show.
Speaker 1: And I'm stunned at this point, because what do you mean I have to go read for somebody that this isn't how it goes.
Speaker 5: And I walked into that office and it was Corey singing to that bar of soap in the shower, and I had goosebums over my whole body, and I just thought, is going to be phenomenal.
Speaker 1: And if this goes.
Speaker 5: To air, this is exactly what I wanted. Because, by the way, I mean similar to you guys at music and musical theater was my huge passion. And so when I'm home to Los Angeles, I told anyone who would.
Speaker 1: Listen to me, oh, I'm really looking for a musical. They're like, great, go to New York.
Speaker 5: It's just like my families in San Francisco, and I really like to drive home and see my mom sometimes. So I'm going to try it in Los Angeles, and it's going to be a film or a TV show.
Speaker 1: I'm sure of it. And then cut to this and then I remember being on.
Speaker 5: Set and Naia and I because Heather wasn't present yet, that round out the Holy Trinity. And I remember seeing you guys coming from rehearsal and oh.
Speaker 1: You just looked so cool.
Speaker 5: You were like this cool, you were so bonded, and I remember being so nervous and offering some weird quick hello, this is why I'm so excited. They all like word vomiting all over you, and then you guys had to go off like you were being pulled at.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 1: Was that in Long Beach? Where was that?
Speaker 2: Yes, well I remember that, Yeah, but we were yeah, it was some other because we weren't like situated how we when the show got picked up. Yeah, in my memory, it's like where base camp was and everything was in a different place, like that was the only time it was there. And I remember you coming over and being so nice, and we did just have like a fleeting like hell, and we were like, oh, she seems nice because we were we had been together for like three weeks already. Yeah, and like hanging out and in rehearsal, and I also think that's probably was so I don't know if intimidating is the right word, but weird, like you're joining this thing so last minute.
Speaker 5: It was intimidating as hell, also because I just wanted to participate in the fun that you were having. Luckily I had Naya, so I wasn't load on an eyeland, but I was not We were not in group form, and then you know, we kind of the two of us were, you know, kind.
Speaker 1: Of guessing how it would go.
Speaker 5: And I think none three lines in the pilot, yep, I never anticipated. I had no understanding of where that character would go should I was just so happy to be there. It was so deeply thrilling, regardless of what happened.
Speaker 2: I do think that's interesting that because you and Naya had you both had done a lot of TV before, like a fair amount of TV before Glee.
Speaker 5: I mean, Nia, certainly I had done bits and bots here and there, But.
Speaker 1: It's a burrd.
Speaker 5: I just I loved my father so much, and he was supportive in a different way than my mother. But he would say these things that would really make me laugh. You would say, oh, I tuned in to Veronica Mars very exciting, but where was the rest of your character?
Speaker 1: Character? She had three lines, you know, and it was and I was, please just punch, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's just about and you know, making the steps and moved forward. But I was I you know, but when I came to that pilot situation, or even as we were filming the first couple of episodes, I wouldn't say I was comfortable.
Speaker 1: How set. It was still such a new green place for me.
Speaker 4: That's so funny because I think like we didn't spend a lot of time. I also want to know what it was like filming don't stop for you, because it's so iconic when you guys step up, But like I was curious if you were seen any of it. But the other thing is like, it's so funny because at first glance, like you were on all these shows, you had like this resume that we came from like a totally different world.
Speaker 3: Kevin came from music.
Speaker 1: I came from New.
Speaker 4: York and so it felt like at least there was like, oh, these people who have been on Hollywood that's she knows, yeah, And then you were sort of this far off like character that was kind of this enemy to us at the beginning, and so initially.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh, she's like she had like a halo, you have.
Speaker 4: Like a halo in your head, and like you had like done this before, and we're like here we are, We're just bab bah buying. But very quickly after that, obviously we all melded very quickly, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh quickly obsessed with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: I and and I think that the chemistry that we had, both on screen and offscreen is such a testament to the casting.
Speaker 1: Of the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it really when you look at all bus, when I look at the footage of us, we are such babies and we are so connected.
Speaker 1: It's Yes, it's really special to revisit.
Speaker 2: I have to say, yeah, you have you watched any of it since?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: I like clips online.
Speaker 5: Well, clips online keep coming back to me in a funny way, even you.
Speaker 1: Know, uh, I think there is.
Speaker 5: There's definitely we are consistently in the zeitgeist, and I guess that speaks to our show is constantly on whether it's you know, Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu, or people are watching this show in waves.
Speaker 1: There's never somebody that's not watching the show. Then I am stopped most days if I'm in a big city by somebody. The other day it was this mother.
Speaker 5: I was sitting in washermon like, eating this metal with my friend and this woman.
Speaker 1: I don't even know why I have to name an age. She was a mother children of a certain age.
Speaker 5: She didn't specify, and she said, I'm rewatching the show with my kids and.
Speaker 1: I'm having the best time, and it's so thrilling to see you here. And she grabbed my arm, and then she grabbed my friend's arms.
Speaker 5: She goes, then you found the most perfect Parishian boyspread. And my lovely friend, who's not Parisian at all, lives in New York, and he was like, he just found it very funny. He goes, I'm Mexican, but I loved the fantasy. She saw us in Paris in this moment, having this meal at this French cafe.
Speaker 1: It was just like, and look at you. But she was so overjoyed.
Speaker 5: And it's always very special to hear that the show resonates with people, for sure, but so yes, that feedback comes to you in real life, and then footage comes to you and the.
Speaker 1: Ent, whether you're tagged in something on Instagram, whether.
Speaker 2: You're looking for it or not, whether you're looking for or not.
Speaker 1: My friend, I guess this was two months ago, and I was shocked. She goes your dance, you and I and Heather singing say a little Prayer is viral on TikTok and she showed me it.
Speaker 5: Was all ages, all mixtures of people from all different places, and it went on for over a week. Yes, And I thought you would think that the show had just debuted with how And then I think that.
Speaker 1: Makes sense to me in.
Speaker 5: Some way, as a forty five second clip danced with delightfully delicious choreography from Zach that is understandable to people, and it's a fun trio, and there it was on the internet again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you guys are so iconic in that.
Speaker 5: Oh god, I remember the feeling of that so vividly, because one again nervous as hell. Two, Ryan was in the room with all of this great instruction and you know, sitting there in just such a regal way and really wanting to deliver for him. And then Nip Tuck was still filming, and so they came over and were watching.
Speaker 1: There was just a band operation.
Speaker 5: Rude to him, and I'm just like, oh wow or eyebills, A very professional people led to do this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I don't remember you guys feeling that.
Speaker 2: I have a picture of Ryan watching the monitor because I stayed after it because I was so excited, not thinking that more people in the room might make it more difficult for them, but I was just so excited to see it one because I didn't know you, like, we hadn't spent still at that point, like that much time, and I wanted to see it. I wanted to see everyone perform, and because I knew everyone was so good, and I was so excited, like sitting back there and watching Ryan's monitor. I mean, I have so many pictures of it because it's like, this is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: That was such a fun moment that that's when it that's when the show really started feeling real to me.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, because I really you perform in a musical number on our show, you're floating a little bit, and then once you're performing in that way, you're in the glee club, You're off to the races.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you remember when do you remember when you found out that.
Speaker 1: You were going to be pregnant in the like did you read it? Really?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: And then it.
Speaker 5: Was Ryan this hilarious and very true to Ryan way I think it.
Speaker 1: I think we were filming the second episode and he was like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, funny, Quinn's gonna get pregnant in episode and we're gonna think it's Fin's baby, but really it's gonna be poxed. And then filming that scene in the hot tub with Corey. Yes, and that's how we got pregnant.
Speaker 1: That's delicious.
Speaker 5: It was you know, that storytelling was funny, but you give them.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: You had that first season. I mean Quinn's entire run on the show, you got put through the ringer.
Speaker 1: But like there were a lot of potion.
Speaker 2: Nobody went through as much as Quinn. Nobody's journey was quite like yours. Like that first season there was that comedy of like, you know, the hot tip scene, you were you had to cry in so many episodes. Then you're pregnant, you're fighting with people, like what was that?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: You knows delicious as an actor.
Speaker 5: Really truly, And I guess I was so delighted, And I think this applies to all of our characters. We might have started off as something that might have felt more like a stereotype of a certain character, and there was real vulnerability and exploration of who we all were.
Speaker 1: Nobody stayed the same as they started. You know.
Speaker 5: There was full character arcs, and I think to play to her vulnerability, I mean, she just really quit as a character, wanted to be loved for who she was, not who she represented, and there was so much masking throughout.
Speaker 2: The show all the time, all the.
Speaker 1: Time, but who she was at her core was very different than the presentation.
Speaker 2: Yes, some of those scenes with your parents on the show were some of my best heaviest scenes with parents in the entire show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, we really so many of our characters had really emotionally honest, vulnerable, hoard conversations with parents.
Speaker 1: That scene, I remember Brad was directing. Brad Foulchuk was directing.
Speaker 5: That scene where tells me to get out of the house, and I was crying so hard that he he had to, and also just for me, you know, I think understanding how to harness your emotions while performing really rough, raw material, there's no to that, and it definitely didn't have that in the beginning. So that was the first moment everyone sat where I realized, oh, I've I've let it touch something so real and honestly, I'm sobbing and snop crying and it's unusable and red well, and he said, I'm really so proud of you for for giving so much this moment we are going to be.
Speaker 1: Pup back like twenty five. Like I can't even understand what you're saying.
Speaker 5: I was like, I know, you know, hold on, let me start again.
Speaker 1: Just so sad, but that's the truth of it. We were so young. We were so young and so young.
Speaker 5: What scenes would you both say were the most difficult in that kind of emotional way to film?
Speaker 1: Do you have an answer?
Speaker 8: Do you know? Well?
Speaker 2: So two things I just want to remark on. I remember the first time you had to sing, I mean you had to cry during keep Holding On. Oh my gosh, like musical number and a few full musical number takes so long to film, And that was the first time I had ever been in a scene with somebody who had to cry. Yeah, And I remember being like, oh my god, like we're doing very different things on the show because like I'm just being a clown and like, oh she has to do something like really serious right now, and so I had to like learn by your example of like how to be during that time off, like how to respect your fellow actor when they're trying to you know, because we're making jokes, we're laughing in between takes. Like no, Dan, it has to like cry for the next six hours, so we need to get it together. But I think just.
Speaker 1: To speak to that really quickly.
Speaker 5: I remember, though, it was very helpful having you guys act normally around me because I felt more isolated because I had to. I just would sit there in the middle of it, in between takes, and the jovial nature to which people were, you know.
Speaker 1: Just responding as you normally would in between takes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it made me feel increasingly more and more lively, which is what that character was feeling in that moment.
Speaker 2: So you're welcome for us being told very.
Speaker 1: Much it was good. I was like, I was so isolated from the school.
Speaker 4: That was like when Matt Morrison we were doing Don't Stop, and you know, we had zero experience for any of this, and Matt's trying to cry and that most like knic close up of his face that's supposed to be the culmination of this whole episode and we're literally like humping each other, like acting like a fool.
Speaker 1: And Ryan's like, you guys, we heard like the.
Speaker 3: Voice of God come down and slap us to the ground.
Speaker 1: It was very embarrassing.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like you had it on. You had it so early before any of us. Queen had such deep, uh you know, emotional storylines that you know, created that were so necessary for those moments that like by the time Tina got her groove of like her storylines, it was so much later.
Speaker 3: So I kind of learned by that point. Like I remember the school.
Speaker 4: Shooting episode, which you know, questionable, uh controversial episode that we did, and Tina stuck outside of the room, so I didn't luckily have to be in the room while you guys shot that very emotional like day of shooting.
Speaker 3: But Gina's like, all my friends are in there and that's my family. And we started shooting.
Speaker 4: Beeker was directing, and I'm talking to Blaine as we're walking down the hallway. It was the end of the day and I was filming and then he was doing the wide and he saw how emotional I was getting and how I was like, it is here and I don't know how long, it's gonna last and we are in it, and he was like, just stop, we're moving the cameras in right now. So we had to move the cameras in and swap shots just because he was like, this is this is what we are, you know. So we had learned by that point that, like, you know, you learned how to do that. But I think in the terms of in terms of Quinn, like you had such such a journey and it started off with a bang, like it did.
Speaker 1: A pregnancy bang, a teen pregnancy bang.
Speaker 2: My god, it was the greatest hits. It was like teen peggiancy bang. Then she comes back with like the pink short hair and she's in a car accident, and then.
Speaker 3: There were redemption Justice Quinn.
Speaker 2: Like, we just finished watching this and it's like at some point during every season we're like, what's happened to Quinn? This? Like, I don't think I necessarily realized how much that whole storyline with a Dina I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to get the baby back.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, it is never ending. You never have a break, and when you.
Speaker 5: Start with teen pregnancy, you know you're in it. So just put it all in the cart, put it all in the cart or at all.
Speaker 4: What One of the most iconic Quinn scenes that I loved so much was in the first season when you give birth to the baby.
Speaker 5: I that birthing scene, going from stage to delivery room, singing that Queen song.
Speaker 1: I mean it was Queen Yeah, Rhapsody.
Speaker 5: God, and just all of us running down the hallway, pushing me through.
Speaker 7: Bumps with our bump bes and those kind of metallic cultuneck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Those.
Speaker 5: I really did love when music and song could take us through really heightened moments as demonstrated, and that that was one of my favorites performance because it just the emotion PI and it matched the song really well, and it just so people and fun and wild and wacky, but still within the realm of believability.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, definitely, It's one of my favorite things. Like when that I feel like that more than post musical numbers, like has a moment online like once a year when people are seeing it for the first time, they're like, wait, what happened and you're matching the lyrics and I'm like, yeah, it's insane, and I feel like it works so well, it's so effective, And I remember watching it for the first time, because we obviously were not in the birthing scene and so like we don't know. Yeah, And I remember sitting there like in the theater at Paramount, just like my hands on my face like, oh my god, like you're screaming for your life. It is so good. How I have a question, how the hell did did how did it work? Like practically speaking them like Okay, now you're gonna scream this lyric and it's in time with the actual song, like did you just keep going? And they just kept okay, now do this lyric?
Speaker 1: Yes, And Brad Falchic again was in the room.
Speaker 5: He was there with me for so many of the heightened emotional scenes, and he was just recounting memories from his own children being born, and he was throwing and things.
Speaker 1: Like now tell him that you want him to die, or like you know, I'll kill you.
Speaker 5: And so all of those kind of peppered moments in line amazing lyrics were ad lived.
Speaker 8: And and then they plopped down this brand new baby in my arms.
Speaker 1: And they were triplets.
Speaker 5: Because anybody who has filmed its children, as I have many times past our.
Speaker 1: Show, it's helpful to have more than one because one might.
Speaker 5: Be tired, and one might be sad and crying and not be giving you the right of emotion for what you're needing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I filmed Shima Shimma.
Speaker 5: Baby, we only had one baby, and that baby was so unhappy to be on set, and we were so many ways that were just the most comical. And it wasn't a brand new baby like this was. I think the baby was two weeks old.
Speaker 8: Or three weeks old, and it all felt strangely weird, you know, at the set, like a hospital room and here's my baby, And that was one of the stranger I've had on set.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that baby away from me, both on the show and in real life.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, oh my God, and Graff singing at the top of his lungs and you giving birth is one of the best things that ever happened to television.
Speaker 3: We love Diana, Oh yes, we do.
Speaker 2: An angel on Earth.
Speaker 1: She truly is. She hasn't aged a day, no.
Speaker 2: And she's so sweet. And also like, this is only the first half, so stick around, come back on Thursday because there's even more to get into it. And also thanks to Anna for sticking her and opening up and being this honest this is great. Come back on Thursday for and That's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.