Speaker 1: Hey guys.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the show today, I want to give you a quick heads up on our latest Working for Wildlife Tour events that are coming up now. If you are listening to this on the day this new episode drops, which will be Thursday, July twenty seventh, twenty twenty three, I believe we've got a Working for Wildlife Tour event coming up this very weekend on Saturday, July twenty ninth, up in the Panhandle of Idaho. So if you are up there in the Northwest, if that's Montana, Idaho, Washington, anywhere in that neck of the woods, please come on out this Saturday from ten am to three pm. There's going to be an after party at a local brewery. But the main gist of this project is that we will be getting a bunch of volunteers, together with our partners at the National Deer Association and the United States Forest Service to do some aspen habitat restoration work. We're going to improve big game forage, increase forest health and resilience, and do some good stuff for the critters out there that we love to hunt. Come on out Saturday, July twenty ninth out there in Idaho. The Details and registration for the event can all be found over on the National Deer Association website.
Speaker 3: If you just.
Speaker 2: Google Working for Wildlife Tour NDA, that will show you a link to the registration page. Now, if you're not in the West, don't lose hope. We've got another one coming up in August in the Midwest. If you are anywhere near Missouri, we've got you covered. On August twelfth, that's a Saturday as well. We've got another Working for Wildlife Tour event in partnership with backcountry hunters and anglers.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be some work we're gonna do at the B. K.
Speaker 2: Leech Memorial Conservation Area, which is near Ellsbury, Missouri. I think this is kind of like North Northwest Dish outside of Saint Louis. It's gonna be a great time. We're gonna be doing some wet prairie improvement. That's gonna include some willow and cottonwood cutting, some seed harvesting, some invasive species removal, and a few other cool things like that too. So again doing good work for wildlife. We're going to get together a bunch of hunters and anglers who care about this stuff, have a good time and do something worthwhile. It should be noted first twenty five folks at each one of these events is going to get one of our very cool I Work for Wildlife t shirts. There's all sorts of other fun stuff going on this one. On August twelfth, there's actually going to be a kind of get together raffle storytelling event after the volunteer project as well, So going over to the BHA events page where you will be able to register for that event. Again, that's August twelfth. The actual working aspect of that is from eight to one and then the social get together, the storytelling all that kind of stuff is going to be from one to five. So hope to see you guys there again. Please sign up either in Idaho on July twenty ninth or August twelfth in Elsbury, Missouri. Looking forward to seeing you guys shaking some hands, taking some pictures, sharing some stories, and working for wildlife.
Speaker 1: Now to the show.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, your guide to the whitetail Woods presented by first Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light go farther, stay longer, and now your host.
Speaker 2: Mark Kenyon, Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast. This week on the show, Tony and I are sharing our own strategies for scouting whitetails as we review and wrap up this month long scouting series. All right, welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, brought to you by first Light. And first Light is the maker of the Spector Whitetail Camo. If you don't know, every purchase of Spector Whitetail Camo, a portion of that purchase goes to support the National Dear Association through our Camo for Conservation program.
Speaker 1: It's very cool.
Speaker 2: A few new things on the First Light side of things, the source vest, the Origin pant, and the trigger flip mitt have recently been released. Tony has recently been telling me about the Origin pant. I'll tell you that the source vest and the source jacket are something that I actually was personally involved in designing over the last five years. So I'm very biased, very happy with the outcome. So check all those out over at first light dot com. And yes, by now you can tell that your resident guest host, Tony Peterson is not running the show this week because I am Mark Kenyan, your host, and I'll tell you what I've gotten over the beating that Tony gave me immediate to trivia. I caught more trout over the last few weeks than Tony could shake an ugly stick at the Wizard Cosply competition is all wrapped up and I killed it as Gandalf the White And that's Gandalf after he fought the bell rog. That's for all you nerds who don't know your Lord of the Rings trivia and knows to anyone. Tony actually got called in to take over for me in the lead role in that kung fu film that Spencer's producing, because, as some of you have likely guessed by now, Tony is much better at faking competency than most, so ill seriousness. If you haven't listened to the last four episodes, probably none of that makes sense. We are here today to talk about Deer, and Tony is with me as well, guest hosting with me to wrap up the series on scouting that you, Tony led for the last month. So thank you for manning the ship and talking a whole lot of smack while I was gone too.
Speaker 3: Listen to people just want to know Mark. You're a busy guy.
Speaker 2: So we were driving home from a camping trip the other day, and I was listening to one of these episodes that you recorded while I was gone, and it was the one where you opened by talking about how me and Spencer were supposedly filming a kung fu film and kicking at each other in our pajamas.
Speaker 1: While saying hiya.
Speaker 2: And my boys were listening because they were in the car with me, and they just started cracking up. They thought it was really, really, really funny. And then Everett said, I think that's what you should do to Tony. You should get dressed in your pajamas and kick at him while saying hiya. So next time, next time we've got a Bozeman sleepover, that's the game plan.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Look, I think I think three to seven year old boys or my target market for my humor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it killed with them. I'll give you that.
Speaker 3: Good good And I am glad that you're back to talking to me after that trivia situation. Mark that it feels good that we've got to mend these fences.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm over it. It was a beating Barren Square. I accept defeat graciously and I congratulate you.
Speaker 3: Hey, can we can we just talk about that for a second, because the trivia that trivia show is weird. Spencer does a really good job with it, but there's like a it's like a weird level of anxiety and stress when you're competing on there. I don't know if it comes through or not, but sometimes he asked a question and you're just like paralyzed, like I can't think of I mean, it's just weird, like the pressure that comes in there. So I know people listen to it, you know, I'm sure they do this to you too. They're like, oh, I got seven right out of this one too, And I'm like, man, it's just different when you're in the hot seat and you're sitting there and you have to think in the moment. It's a weird experience.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well the worst ever was and I think this just I completely crumbled after I totally muffed on the softball throw my way, which was the question about the turty Point Buck, which is like this song I religiously listened to all Hunting Season.
Speaker 1: I grew up on it.
Speaker 2: And that thing you just said it happened exactly to me, Like it was remember this lyric from this song, so imagine like trying to remember a lyric from one of your favorite songs and that should be a piece of cake, right, and it just like my brain went to crap and nothing. There was no retrieval mechan anywhere, and uh, from there it was just all downhill.
Speaker 1: So it was not my day.
Speaker 3: But dude, it's tough. I mean it. And there's some categories, you know, when when I'm on there and they're like, here's fishing, I'm like, oh, thank god, because Spencer's questions on fishing, Like I feel usually pretty confident, but then sometimes like the conservation or the food category, I'm just like I if there's a if there's a question about a food named after a city, I'm gonna have the dumbest answer possible. Like I don't get those right, and it drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it doesn't help that, Like you've got a lot of very competitive people. Like when you get like a group of folks where everyone likes to be the winner, you're inevitably a gonna get some fun, banter and good competition, but yeah, some high some high stress levels too.
Speaker 3: Well I did it. I did discover a new thing that I really really like, which is beating cal at something like that, because I've never competed against him before.
Speaker 1: Well, congrats relations on that, Tony.
Speaker 3: He doesn't like he doesn't like being wrong.
Speaker 1: No, probably not. It was good though. It was fun. I U.
Speaker 2: I enjoy getting the opportunity to get on there and talks and smack dispenser and uh yeah, no complaints about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, So trivia was fun.
Speaker 2: But I I gotta tell you that my little time away here, which has not been extravagant as you like to make it seem, but my little bit of time away over the you know, a week here, a little time here over the summer, has me so like bubbling over with white tail craziness that I could almost burst. I am high school Mark Kenyon that wants to buy every single hunting magazine on the Walmart shelf. I am the college Mark Kenyon that wants to wake up early in the morning to watch the cheesy hunting shows.
Speaker 1: Even I am I'm.
Speaker 2: That kid right now, So very very excited right discussion today and uh and kind of I think the game plans to kind of wrap up this series on scouting, right, what what do you have?
Speaker 3: What do you have?
Speaker 2: In mind here for how you want to kind of wrap up this month that you helped us.
Speaker 3: Lead man, just just talking about you know, some of the takeaways from the guests we had, you know, I mean obviously you know, started with Andy, and Andy May is just real consistent on you know, delivering you know, actionable ideas and strategies. And he's just he's the kind of person that you just want to emulate him. You're just like you talk to him and there's there's so much intention in his like his strategy. It's just I don't know, it's just fun, you know. And then had Clint Campbell in there too, and that dude's just a scouting machine out east and brings brings a pretty neat perspective. And then I really enjoyed talking to Adam Moore about, you know, just down south, like I'm in fact, I was texting with Andy today about you know, what are the odds we could just put together some kind of late season deep South hunt and just run down there in like January or February and just you know, hit up Mississippi or Louisiana or somewhere because I'm just I don't know about you, and I know you've hunted down I think you hunted in Alabama what two years ago? Yeah, yeah, I'm kind of the southern white tail thing is is getting more and more appealing to me, and I don't really know why, and so I just like, maybe it's the big woods thing. But talking to Adam about that stuff was really cool. And then of course getting Ted on. You know, we hear from the THHP guys quite a bit, but Ted's kind of one of those under the radar guys you don't hear from very often. And what I loved about what he talked about was so much of it was, yeah, you know, we checked out this spot, we checked out that spot, but then when they show up, they use sort of that baseline and it's like we knew there were good bucks here, probably using this, probably doing this, probably doing that, but we had to adapt and it took us three days of observation of moving and then we killed this buck and it was really cool And here's why. And I love that kind of I love those kind of stories because it's like you take people from, you know, the idea that we're in right now, of like go find them, go watch them, go start to get pictures or camera or you know, some observation, but there's a lot of daylight between that and actually fill in a tag and hearing about how that works out for people. I think it's just I don't know. It's kind of a powerful motivator.
Speaker 2: So I think I know the answer to this question, or at least I have my own thoughts on it. But I'm curious for you because this we almost should have talked before the series two. Because what I'm curious about is when you were presented, you know, this idea, like, hey, you could you know, run with things in July. You could have tackled any kind of topic you wanted, You could have done a series on anything, and you chose to spend all of July focusing on scouting. That might not be the thing that's on most people's mind right now. So I'm curious why, I guess, in short, why why was scouting the thing that you thought we really as an audience, as a community, really need to like double and triple down on leading into the season. Because I think right now, like we are in full blown ramp up mode, we are less than you know, we're almost just a touch over a month out from a bunch of openers. So why why scouting in the dead nuts middle of the summer should we be thinking about.
Speaker 3: Because I think it's probably the most underrated aspect of fill in tags and I and I say that. I think a lot of people think they scout enough and they don't. And I think part of that is because it's so easy to hang trail cameras and think that's enough. But to me, getting out there is so important, Like it's so important, and if you don't do it now, if you don't get some of that foundational stuff now, just the same thing, like if you don't do it in February or March, you missed a window that matters. I just firmly believe that, And so I just wanted to you know, I thought about doing something maybe on shooting or gear or whatever, but I think it's so beneficial to whitetail hunters to get into the mindset where you just don't scout enough, you know what I mean. Like I kind of think I've been listening to you know, I listened to a lot of podcasts that are outside the hunting space, and you know, I hear a lot of people talk about fitness and a lot of people will say, you know, I found myself like not happy with you know, my physical shape, right, and so I'm like, oh, I'm two hundred and forty pounds and I want to get to two ten or whatever, pick some arbitrary number. And then they get there and they go, well, good enough, I did the goal, and then they slide right back into their old routine. And the thing about it is is it's not just getting there. It's the maintenance that matters. Like it's it's the lifestyle of like I'm going to stay in shape, So every week is a new challenge. I kind of look at scouting White Tails like pretty similarly, where it's like, you know, we have these different time frames throughout the year where we're like, well, it's pretty important to go out there and see last season's rubs in March or whatever, or it's pretty important to get those cameras out there now and get that inventory of the hit lister's going. But it's it's not enough for most of us, especially if if you're hunting pressure ground or you're kind of always on the hunt for new spots on public. I don't think you can scout enough. I mean I think the only situation where you can really overdo it, as if you're super sloppy or you do you like, are really restricted to small properties, then I think you got to play a little bit different game. But I think for a lot of us it's just easy to think you're doing enough and you're probably not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a great point and one thing that has happened. And I don't know if this is a relatively recent thing or if it's always been like this, but we have in many ways, you know, defined different parts of the season. Is like it's this season, it's this season. So like you know, when February, March, April comes around, scouting season, everyone's got to go out there do your off season scouting.
Speaker 1: So I mean, rightly, so a lot of folks.
Speaker 2: In our community have beaten the drum of off season scouting. When there's no greenery out there and the snow starting to melt off, like that is a great time to scout, no doubt about it. So everyone knows to palm the ground at that time of year. But to your point, you know, if someone's listening now and they haven't done that yet, it's really important to remember that it's not too late. And by that I mean like, of course you want to be doing all that, but like the scouting shouldn't just start an end at that one time which is the best time. It should continue all year round. It should be there's still stuff you can learn in the summer, and you should keep on scouting all through the season. If there's anything I've learned over the last decade plus of knowing Andy May, it's the value of in season scouting, like never stopping scouting.
Speaker 1: And I think that was really pounded home.
Speaker 2: With this series, was just the idea that, hey, it's July, it's scouting season, and guess what two months from now, when your season kicks off, it's scouting season. And this is something that you know, we could have ran this series in September and it would have been just as relevant as important, you know, as it is now as it could have been if we were in it in February.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. And I think I think it's important to kind of just like clarify that it's it doesn't have to be like and I know we say this a lot, but it doesn't have to be like this terminate or endeavor where it's like I'm getting into the woods and I'm looking at this waypoint, this waypoint, this point point, I'm checking these spots out, and like, it doesn't have to be like a militant exercise. It has to be just something that is built into your life, because I've noticed with me, like I think there's like two really distinct advantages there is if you get into the habit of just like I gotta go check this spot out, or I gotta go out tonight and watch or you know, I'm just gonna go drop a trail camera here or whatever whatever little task you're gonna do on any given day, it's so much easier for me to go, oh, okay, well the condition's changed here. So what I thought from when I was here in March or April, I got to rethink this this part, and it just it helps me like frame up my plan for the season and just get into the mode where I sort of expect some changes and I expect things to just be a little bit different or not work out the way I want them to, and that's okay. It's I think it's easier to adapt than just being like, well, I'm going to take one long Saturday in July and I'm going to scout and I'm going to hang a bunch of stands, and that's going to be good. I just I don't think that's the best method. I think it's better to be in the habit of like I'm going to do a little bit each week or every couple of days and just accumulate a better strategy that's like evolving with the conditions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So this topic is super exciting for me right now. The idea of scouting properties, especially the new properties, scouting old properties, is still very valuable and it's always a good idea. I'm not telling you anything new, but you know, looking at old properties with new eyes and clear eyes is always a good idea. Always keeping up to speed and what's changing, what have you missed, YadA, YadA, YadA. But it's hard to beat the blank slate when you come onto a new piece of public or privately you have access to and you just have to figure it out. I mean, it's just like a brand new puzzle poured out on the table in front of you, and it's it's all fresh, all new. The sky is the limit and I actually just got that. I got access to a new property that I am very excited about. It is two hundred acres, which is by far the biggest piece of private land i've well, I guess that's not entirely true, but one of the biggest pieces I've ever had access to in Michigan. At least half of it's just a big open field, but the back half, so about one hundred acres ish is.
Speaker 1: Like really good. It looks really good at least.
Speaker 2: But this is all based on East scouting, because this is a piece that, like, I've not been to, but it's been something I've known someone has, you know, access to they manage it, and I thought maybe someday and it finally came together.
Speaker 1: So I haven't got to walk it yet. I've just been able to study maps obsessively.
Speaker 2: And now I actually do have the opportunity to walk it when I get back in town. And and you know, one hundred acres of primo whitetail ground in an awesome area that just screams like great terrain, pinch points and funnels and good food and good bedding and all that kind of stuff. That amazing playground of white tail goodness is like right in front of me, and I am so excited Tony to start scouting it and learning it and figuring out this new piece, Like I am ecstatic to dive into this.
Speaker 1: I'm excited, is what I'm trying to get across.
Speaker 2: And so right now I'm just doing step one of what a lot of folks scouting efforts is, which is lots and lots of just staring at the map and thinking about different things, going from like big picture like zooming away out and looking at the aerial and thinking about, you know, where does this property fit in the big scheme of things, like where does this fit in the larger landscape? How do pet or how do do you move in and off of this block the square mile block? Like where does this stand? And then you know, zooming way in and thinking about, okay, what's going on in this little corner where the cree comes around the bend And it seems like there's a drop in topography here, and this looks like a wet spot based on this map, But if you flip over to another app and look at that, like, well is that wet or is that just like a crp grass?
Speaker 1: Or you know what I mean. Where you're sitting and dissecting every little bit. I love that. So what about this?
Speaker 2: Maybe this is useful, maybe this isn't, Tony, But what do you think about taking the ideas that you and that all of us learned from Andy Adam Clinton ted over the last month, and what if we filter it through this example, Like what if we walk through everything that I have to do over the coming months, and then you and I kind of think, Okay, well, what would what would Andy? What could take from Andy when it comes to the summer scouting, or what would you do Tony when it comes to when I show up there on day one and get to walk for the first time, You think that might be a useful exercise to kind of illustrate some of the stuff we're talking about here.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna love.
Speaker 3: I have to say, though, I'm a little bit I'm I'm jealous, and it makes me a little bit sad because very briefly here I thought I had permission on a new place, and I can feel like that permission is not going to actually happen. And so this high that you're in of like e scouting and getting ready to go see this property and do this stuff, I was like, right on the cusp of that, and now I feel depressed and sad because I think I think I'm not gonna get it just by the way the landowners kind of acting, and so it makes me a little sad.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, buddy.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, those like these acts if you don't own your own land, these private permission type things are so fleeting, right, So it's so exciting when you get permission on new piece, but then you also need to like hold it lightly, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because you know, like at any moment it could be gone.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna try to appreciate this because you know, who knows, it might be just this season. Heck, I mean by the time this errs, who knows, maybe I won't even for this. For this brief moment in time, I can look at a map and think to myself, I will hopefully be able to hunt this spot in a couple months, And that is a good feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ride that high, buddy.
Speaker 1: I'm going to I'm gonna milk it for all it's worth.
Speaker 2: So, so you know, something you guys didn't talk about a lot in the series with the crew was the scouting side of things. There wasn't a ton of emphasis on that, but I would you correct me if I'm wrong here, But I think all of them would probably look at that as a very very important first step to being efficient in any of their efforts on the ground after that.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you say?
Speaker 3: Sure? I absolutely? And you know that was sort of intentional because I didn't. I feel like we've covered est scouting quite a bit, and I feel like East scouting is so valuable in some ways, but it doesn't matter unless you're willing to do the other part.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like kind of like trail cameras, Like I feel like trail cameras can be so valuable, but you have to do that other part otherwise it just doesn't matter the same way.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense, Yeah, it absolutely does. It's like a way both of those tools can make your efforts on the ground more efficient. I think this is the biggest thing. Like they provide really good starting points. They provide like really good anchors. You know, if we're looking at a puzzle, like, okay, take that puzzle on analogy I mentioned earlier, you dump a new puzzle out onto the table. Very exciting if you didn't have any flat pieces or corner pieces, it would be a lot harder to get that puzzle going. But since you've got those corner pieces and those flat sides, you've got somewhere to start, you know, like, okay, all of these flat sides, all these corners.
Speaker 1: I know where that goes.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of how e scouting or trail cameras you know, come into the mix. Is they give you those starting points, those anchor points, where you know something. I now know this, but you can't extrapolate that to knowing everything. So I know a corner piece, that does not mean I know what the entire center looks like. So the same thing goes for when you look at you know, I'm looking at the aerial of that new property, and I see a really cool looking, you know, cover, thin strip of cover that winds this way through a big open field that screams out, you know, pinch point, screams out a cover funnel that man, there should be deer cruising that in the rut from that thick cover down in the southeast up to the thick cover up to the northwest.
Speaker 1: But if I.
Speaker 2: Don't show up on the ground and fact check that you gotta you gotta proof it, you gotta confirm. If you don't there's there, you know it might work out, but then you also might waste a lot of time. So I think you know, the way I look at East scouting is the same way I know you do. Is you know, you're you're getting those starting points, You're marking a bunch of places that you think this, this should be high quality, this could be really good. And then when you go out there on the ground, you're not walking willy nilly blindly everywhere. You can go and hit those spots you know efficiently and fact check and use our limited time the best possible way for sure.
Speaker 3: And it's you know, the est scouting thing. I mean, part of the reason it's so cool is it does give you I mean, it just does give you, like a really good idea of what you're going to run into. But there's nothing like seeing it in person. And so you know, you pick out a spot and you do this with a property like you're talking about, or you go travel somewhere to hunt and you pick out a spot and you walk in there and sometimes it is as good as you expect, and that's such a rush. Yeah, and sometimes you walk in and you're like, this is definitely not it. But it's like a ET scouting and then your first like ground truthing trip in there, it's like being a gambling addict or something. You're like, I'm just like waiting for that high of the of both things coming together where what I believed it to be and then seeing it actually be that or something even more. Maybe it's pounded more with your tracks or sign or something. So there's like there's like a neat motivation to it. Once you put in enough time ET scouting, it just makes the whole process of ground trew thing that much more fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tell me this really quickly. You know, when what I'm doing on the east scouting side is I'm doing those two things I mentioned. I'm looking at the big picture, like trying to understand where this property fits into the larger landscape. And then I'm also zooming in and thinking very you know close or what you know. I'm thinking micro here and thinking to myself, Okay, this block of timber looks like it connects in here and looks like there might be betting here. It looks like there's a hill here, YadA, yad ydah.
Speaker 1: But so I do.
Speaker 2: I spend a lot of time picking this apart, and then I'm marking all my different areas of interest. I'm marking like, man, this looks like a good pinch point, put it away point, and I'll label it like good pitch point question mark. And then I'll find a spot that think, man, I bet you this would be a great stand site because of this and this, and so I'll put you know, standsite question mark, and I'll have all of these question marks scattered all over the property before I ever step foot. So I try to find, like where I think good betting could be. I try to mark where I think, you know, good travel quarters could be. I will mark where I think there might be a crete cross, all of these different things so that when I show up that first day, what I'm gonna do is, you know, perfect world, this would be in the you know, February March April timeframe, but my case is going to be dead of the summer, and I'm gonna go out there on day one and that's going to be cover as much of the place as I can and really make sure I hit those priority points that I'm marked, and the whole time I walk a new property, I have my phone out and I'm matching up where I am on the map to what it looks like on the ground so that I can as i'm walking, like, Okay, here i am, and this is that little block with the with the point and that little ditch that runs through it. And now I'm seeing with my own eyes what it actually looks like. And I'm looking at the map and I'm saying, Okay, this is what the map looks like. This is what the ground looks like, so that by the end of that day, and I'm doing this kind of every other day i'm out there scouting, I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between those two things, so that eventually, by season or next season or whenever it is, I have like a two layer map in my mind where I know, like, when I'm standing here, this is where I am in the map in my mind, and this is what it looks like on the ground.
Speaker 1: Do you do something similar?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man? I Not only that, but I've also started using the what is it the track feature? What is the one that, yeah, dude, or the tracks feature? I've been using that like crazy. When I go in and I you know, if I'm looking at a spot and I get in there and I'm like, yep, I'm definitely gonna hunt this, I will walk out the way that I think I need to access it. I'll run that track feature, and I'll actually time how long it takes me to go out now, and I'll make a note of that so when I show up there. I did this for one week in November that we're going to drop this fall and the stand that I ended up having a pretty good hunt out of and Wisconsin, even though it was like a I mean maybe a couple hundred yards and probably two thirds of that was through an open field, but I didn't want to expose ourselves getting in there because it was going to be tight, and I wanted to take a very specific route through the woods to get to the stand, so I didn't lay down any scent where the deer probably were going to come from. And so even even though I could have walked there in the dark, I mean without hardly thinking about it, using that feature was just so nice to be like, you are exactly on the line you want to, you know, the line that I created in the daylight, And I've started doing that on when I'm looking at new properties and new places, and it gives me so much more confidence to go back in there and actually hunt just the way I want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done that in like some nasty hell holes where like if you don't cross this draw in this one spot, like you're gonna be cliffed out or something crazy. But I've never paid attention to timing it. And that timing thing actually is kind of a nice thing to know as far as like when you're trying to plan, all right, how really do I need to get up? What time do I need to be at the trailhead or what time do I need to be parked at the side of the road, and know, okay, it's going to take me exactly twenty three minutes at you know, expected walking speed during the season to get to my stand. That would be a smart thing to time out, at least for someone that's as type A as me who likes to know exactly what time it gets somewhere.
Speaker 3: You probably don't need to do it because you get out there, what four or five hours before first light?
Speaker 1: Not quite, but I do get out there pretty early.
Speaker 3: But I think that stuff part of it comes from just like you know, think about how often you go out and you hang a set and you're like, man, I'm coming back here tomorrow morning. The deer we're definitely here, and you're like, it's an easy walk. I go across the wetland here and I just look for this big oak tree. And then you go out there in the dark and you're like, ah, son of a bitch, Like everything's different. And even if you're off by like ten feet, you might make twenty times as much noise as you'd make if you just stayed on the right course. And I know that it probably doesn't sound that important to a lot of people, but if you do a lot of mobile hunting and you hunt mornings a lot, man, that trick is like it's just so worth getting in the habit. Let me say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so after that first back to my example here, after that first walk through, where I'm going to go through and cover as much as I can with the time I have while trying to map my mind to like what I see on the ground to what I see in the map. I'm gonna be that first day or if it's a weekend or whatever, the amount of time I have is I'm going to try to get like that big picture over for you of like here's everything, and here's I confirmed all the things I thought I knew and I crossed off the things that didn't end up being what they really were. But probably in that first day or first weekend, assuming I have time. In this case I do have time, I'm not going to be trying to scout for like the kill spot that I'm just trying to collect. I'm trying to collect, collect, collect, click, collect, and then I will come back at a later date and I will do like my fine tune scouting, which will be like I'm gonna take that time after my big picture scout, and I'm gonna think a lot, and I'm gonna look at the map again a lot and try to think through all the things I learned, and again kind of think, Okay, big picture, here's what I now know, and micro level here's what I now know, and really start fine tuning. Okay, given all that, where do I think the best locations will be for the early season? Where do I think those best locations will likely be for middle of October? And kind of just think through my season and maybe I'll also learn like man, this just isn't gonna be an early season spot, or this isn't gonna be an October spot, this is maybe it's only gonna be a peak rut, or maybe it's for whatever reason, maybe it's gonna be a place that Jesus, it's probably not gonna be that great until gun season pushes all the deer out of everywhere else.
Speaker 1: And funnels them all into here. Whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I will then try to think through, Okay, what are those places that I need to have prepped to start hunting season as like those starting points, And then I'll go back out prior to the season, still in the summer, and I'm going to try to scout for a handful of starting point stands, So knowing that I'm going to learn and scout a lot in season, but I want to have some places prepped ahead of time so that I've got something.
Speaker 1: To start with to observe and adjust from.
Speaker 2: So then I'm going to go out there and I'll maybe i'll mark let's just hypothetically say that I find like a sweet little bedding area coming off of a hilltop that drops down to this ag field, and I can see old a bunch of old rubs, from last season, and there's a ditch crossing that drops right into this little skinny finger of what's now standing corn, and I'll think, man, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big buck betted off of that point. And I wouldn't be surprised if he drops down off of this point and comes down and kind of mills around in this transition area after he crosses that ditch here, that might not be a bad place to hunt him in October. So let's just hypothetically say I find a place like that after my big picture scouting in my east scouting. Now I'm going to come back in in August and try to the spot within that spot. So I'm gonna go in there and then I'm gonna do some fine tune scouting. I'm gonna walk that area thoroughly, really think they're okay? Is this? Is this the exact spot on the ditch that I think is most likely for deer to cross, and YadA, YadA, YadA, And that would be what I would play out a handful of times across this property.
Speaker 1: And I would want all of this done, you know, in.
Speaker 2: As few trips as possible, So I would probably It'll probably be like one big picture scouting day like I talked about, and then it will probably be one you know, fine tuning scouting day like I'm discussing, in which I will pick these spots and prep a few spots, and then I'll probably hand cameras and that will probably be what I will start with until we get to the next phase of my scouting. Does any of that bring any questions to mind or additional thoughts as far as you know, a last minute kind of scouting and prepping situation that I'm in here.
Speaker 3: One thing that you said right at the beginning of that that makes me question a lot of what you do is really you said that you're going to go in and not look for kill spots right away.
Speaker 1: Well well no, but sorry.
Speaker 2: It's not that I'm not looking for them, but it's that I'm trying to be in like big picture. I'm trying to be a vacuum of everything right now. Of course, like I will be paying attention to spots that stand out. If there'll be a spot, I'm sure like I will see things. Man, this is a kill spot, but I'm not going to spend six hours in that one spot.
Speaker 1: Fine, tuning it. I will be like, Okay, man, this looks awesome. I'm gonna grid it a little bit more, and then okay, keep moving.
Speaker 2: Got to move to the next place because I'm planning on doing the deep dive the next time I come.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah. For a little while there, I was like, Oh, I think I needed to explain to Mark what deer scouting is for, because I was like, I think he's confused. I'm definitely not going to look for a good spot to kill a big buck yet.
Speaker 2: No, it's just like, wow, the level of time I'm going to spend a certain parts of this process.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You do you know that that field is planted in corn.
Speaker 2: I do know that, Yes, okay, yes, so I do know that. What I don't know is like, there looks like there might be some that's in CRP or or just too wet for crops, So I don't know how much is planted and how much is kind of set aside.
Speaker 3: Now you're speaking my language.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, and I'm hoping.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping there are some of that stuff because it looks like in the maps that some of it is like that, and you. But you can also see, like when you go to different maps or different apps, they've got different date ranges for when the aerial photography was taken. I can see sometimes where it looks like it was planted and sometimes when it was not planted. So I just don't know what it is this year so interesting.
Speaker 1: That is interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm still jealous. I'm actually a little more jealous.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You were talking a decent bit with Ted there at the end about his trail camera strategy, and I think you talked you, oh gosh, Clint a little bit about his trail cam strategy, especially like summer to fall and that kind of stuff when it comes to scouting. You know, I thought that something that Ted said really resonated with me, or an example he shared at least, and that being you know, how he ended up there was a property. So hopefully folks heard this last week, but if not, I'll give you the very quick cliff notes him.
Speaker 1: Ted and I don't think.
Speaker 2: Aaron or someone were out hunting a new property and they'd put a trail camera out on this little fence line I think, or a trail that they thought would be good and they let it run through late summer into like just before opening day, and they had a group of bucks that was on there like over and over and over, really well patterned. And then when they checked the camera, like just prior to opening day, they saw it they were here, here, here, here, And then the last few days of the last week or something, they totally disappeared. And what Ted and Aaron did was, rather than saying, oh, the bucks are completely gone, or just thinking oh man, and you know it's all blown up and move off to some other property, they asked why, Like they thought, okay, well, why aren't the bucks here and where must they be now? And they use that again like kind of like the puzzle piece thing. You know, if this piece does not fit into a corner, it must fit somewhere else. And so in this case, they thought, well, if the bucks are not on trail camera here anymore, they must be somewhere different, and so let's think about where else they could have pivoted to and what additional information do we need. So they use a camera and not to say, oh, the buck was here yesterday, I'm gonna kill him here and kill them there. They instead said the bucks used to be here now we know they are not here. That will force us to move away from what we thought was good and scout this new area, which led them to this ridge, tore up with sign and that confirmed, oh this is where they are. They hunted there, they killed the deer. Did that kind of like did that make you smile the way it made me smile?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But dude, that story that is just And I might love it because it's kind of concert confirmation bias for me because I'm really getting into that kind of mindset about almost all of my hunting where instead of going to find the easy one, I'm trying to find a concentration of animals and just work them, you know, whether it's elk or turkeys or white tails or whatever. And that was such a prime example that he told of just having them dial, losing them and finding them again and killing one. And the beauty of it is they didn't fill in the blanks, like they didn't go, well, they're nocturnal or somebody must have bumped them out. They had so much faith in their scouting. They said something changed and we're just going to figure it out, and they did. And I think that lesson is like way poignant and I'll tell you what I've been. I've been over in northern Wisconsin quite a bit recently, scouting and catching a future out and doing you know, looking for some bears with the girls or whatever. But we've been we've been scouting quite a bit over there. And the woods over there right now are almost like unwalkable. The way the winter happened last year with super heavy wet snow, It's like so many trees or tree tops fell down, and then so many of the right aged you know, kind of like poplar type trees are bent like completely over to the ground, and so you know, like i'll give you an example to frame this up. We went to fish the stretch of this Brook trout stream. I fished dozens of times, just a nice little stretch. It's got nice rock walls. It's like a nice, picturesque, beautiful little brook trout stream. We walked in there and started fishing, and for most of it you couldn't hit the water because it was there was so much so many trees over the water now, it was like an underground tunnel. And I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, it was a nightmare. And then I went into other spots that I hunt over there just to look around, and it's like I'm hunting a different kind of property. And so I know from years and years of hunting there and just seeing the general population, I'm like, Okay, those deer are still here. I got to work them differently than I'm used to. So if I was living off of, you know, ten years of hunting experience there, it's not the same. Now it's going to be a totally different hunt. So yeah, when you think about, okay, mother nature could hand you that and basically, like you said earlier, kind of give you a blank slate. It's not a new property, but it's it damn well, might it might as well be, you know what I mean? Or you might get a situation where those bucks just decide that they're going to go eat acorns one ridge over, and your job, whether you're in either spot, figure it out. You know they're there. You've been doing some of the foundational work to get yourself in a good spot. When mother nature throws you a little curveball like that, it's like, Okay, what do we do? How do we figure this out? Instead of just making up a reason or just saying, well, I'm gonna come back when it's the rud or the pre rud or whatever. I'm like, no, you got to go now and work through that stuff. That's that's like the beauty of deer hunting. That's why white tails are so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, well, it's a question, how would you in a situation like that then, like where does your when you're set back to square one to a degree, how if it all, will cameras be involved in your re scouting of it, knowing that you know, we're trying to avoid the temptation to be overly dependent on them, which I think is you know, I'm gonna go on a brief tangent here, So remember that question, Tony. But I feel like if you listen, especially the last year or two years, as sell camera have become ubiquitous, like just everyone has him now You've just you hear now so so so so so many of the stories you hear are well, I waited until he showed up on my cell cam. He came in that day, and then I went after him a hunted him. And you know, either you saw him or he didn't, or he killed him or you didn't. But there's a lot of people doing that now, and I think, without a doubt, like these cameras are great tools, but it's so important to remember that they are this tiny little snapshot of a much, much, much, much much big, bigger picture. So again the puzzle analogy, a cell camera gives you one single piece of the thousand piece puzzle. If your entire hunting strategy is based on whether or not that single puzzle or single piece in the thousand piece puzzle is flashing on that given day and saying hey, I'm here, you are missing so so so much. And I think there's a lot of people that are being tempted to believe that that's all you need to know is put a sweet little cell camera out in a cool little spot and wait till it gives you that ping. And I think, while sometimes I know there are stories of that being successful, but if that is your thing going into the season, you are going to be hitting a hard wall many, many, many times and missing a lot.
Speaker 3: Yep. I mean, sure, you know, I look at them. I'm actually a little more excited for trail cameras this year than I usually am, at least over there, because I don't know how those deer are getting through that stuff, but I know they are. And so even even just what I saw when we were when we were trout fishing that spot before we turned around and went to a different spot, the difference between the trees that were big enough to weather that winter and not become this tangled jungle is tangible. And so you used to have, you know, I mean, thousands of acres of that it's big woods, and now you have these these areas that are just so gnarly. They'll function as a betting area, maybe some browse or whatever, but those deer are probably going to be traveling through a certain type of woods more and at least I suspect that. So I'm going to run some cameras and find out and if I get you know, between now and whenever I get a chance to go over there and hunt, if I get some confirmation of that. It's not necessarily like, oh, you know, I've gotten pictures of this buck going through here once a week for six weeks, I'm going to go hunt him. It's just a clue into how they're using that terrain, and I think that's just important. But it's again, it's just this complimentary piece of the bigger puzzle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent agree. And I think that, you know, hunting this new property, it's gonna be the same thing for me. I'm going to go out there in the summer and put up some cameras, but it's going to be simply to you know, I'm gonna place cameras. This will probably August when I'm doing this. I'm going to be putting up cameras in places, you know, to get me in season information. But I'm not going to be getting a picture in August and then thinking, oh man, this bucks showed up five days in a row in this spot, and then think I'm gonna go there and kill them on October fifth or whatever. I'm gonna go in there simply trying to confirm, like what's around, What are some general ideas I can get about, maybe a trend or maybe just how dear use certain areas. But I'm going to be depending on that as just like a very small piece of the larger picture that then I'll have to figure out based on what I learned in those first couple of days of summer scouting, but then really learning a lot on the go, you know, hunting that's going to be scouting my way into whatever I'm hunting.
Speaker 1: On every given day.
Speaker 2: It's going to be basically every hunt will be a scouting session and probably doing some you know, begin a little exterior, observe, adjust, observe, adjust, and slowly learn my way as I go scouting with a bow in my hand, and then every once in a while getting those camera pictures that will then give me a little bit of color that I think camera if you look at those pictures as like adding color to you know, it's like you're reading a book and then there's a color photo in there. It's pretty nice, but it doesn't tell you the whole story. You gotta read what's on the pages there. And so I will appreciate the color photography throughout the book to illustrate things a little bit more, to add a little bit more flavor to what I'm you know how I'm interpreting things. But give me the text and I'm going to be getting that, you know, every day when I'm out there. It's going to be getting on the road and glassing with the spotting scope as many evenings as I can. If there's any kind of opening I can see, or if there's like a neighboring field where I can see down to a CRP patch, or if I can, you know, if there's a bean field in August, I'll be checking that out, just to know, like what's out here, what's the deer density at this point of the year, what does the age structure look like at this time of the year. Knowing that that, you know, some of that's going to change, but some of that will give you a big picture idea of like, Okay, this area has a ton of and very few older bucks that might you know, sort of translate at least gives me a starting point of how to think about things as I get into the season. So long distance observation, it's going to be scouting on foot, it's going to be observing from the stand. It's going to be you know, as much as I possibly can make it be, you know, similar to the Andy May model or the Jesse Coots model, or the Justin Wright model, the ted it's the scout more hunt less, hunt smarter, not you know, beat him over the head with time on stand.
Speaker 3: Can I say something about that too, because when you were talking about that, it reminded me of I don't I actually don't remember if Andy, Andy and I had this conversation on the podcast or we had it in the many many hours we spent in my boat trying to catch some bass. But Andy talks about woodsmanship all the time, and you and I have talked about this a lot, and that's like a I don't know, it's sort of a blanket term that really doesn't mean that much to a lot of people, because you know, when we talk about you know, Okay, I'm in a long distance glass, I'm gonna run cameras and I'm gonna get in there and I'm gonna ground truth this stuff, it sounds like a complete plan to figure out what the deer do, right, And so it's like, is that woodsmanship kinda But one of the things when you think about the example with Ted, you know, those guys had that Bachelor group dialed in. It disappeared, but they knew where there were some oak trees that those deer might have moved to. That's so important And I know it seems dumb, but they didn't panic when they lost those deer. They just said, what's the likely culprit for pulling these deer away? And the more time that you spent in the woods, like. We had this experience just just recently when we were over there in Wisconsin. We were actually driving back from this spot we were fishing, and it's I don't hunt this place. This is a private place, but it's really close to this huge chunk of public land that I do hunt. And we're just driving by and I saw this dough off the road, so we pulled over to look at her, and I was shooting a few photos of her, and she was just munching away on this bush. And as I zoomed in with my camera, I'm like, Oh, she's eating raspberries. And I've never seen like in my life, I've never watched a deer walk up to ripe raspberries and just eat the crap out of them. And I was like, I actually wrote about this for Foundations. It's coming up here. I'm like, just spending more time out there exposes you to things like that. We actually saw three tom turkeys eating on the same raspberry bush, which is fascinating to me. But when you think about it, you know, I've been hunting white till since I was twelve. If you just said, hey, Tony, do you think deer eat raspberries? I'd be like, I don't know, probably it seems like something they would do, but I'd never actually observed it. And then now I'm thinking I've had times, especially in states where the opener is in like September, where I'll be walking down the trail over there and I'll see raspberries or blackberries or some kind of berry and just assume that it was bears eating them. You know, sometimes you can tell it was bears or whatever. But I'm like, I've never considered a berry as any kind of white tail draw in my life, and it maybe really doesn't play into the season that much, but for scouting it might. And it was just one of those little moments where I was like, I just have so much left to learn, Like there's so much that I don't know about their life. And I think that when you look at scouting the way we've been talking about it, you learn those things like, yes, deer on this property use this ridge to go from point A to B, or deer on this property like to bed in this CRP because it's a badass spot to bed. But there's so much more out there to learn, and the more time you spend deserving in person and walking through and running those cameras, the more you just figure out like what their daily lives are like. And I think that's so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and man, this is gonna be for people that have listened to the podcast for a long time. They're going to roll their eyes because they've heard both of us say this like two hundred times.
Speaker 1: But it's just so true. And it's the fact that.
Speaker 2: This this I think this woodsmanship ability. I think one way to think about it is kind of like getting a new pair of glasses, is the way at least it's been for me. So like when I first started, like a deer hunter, I've deer heard sounds, little kid, but I you know, followed kind of a family program that was like very very very basic, and for you know, a long time, that's all I ever knew.
Speaker 1: And so I was like walking through the woods wearing like.
Speaker 2: The blurriest, fuzziest, creuddiest cheap gas station glasses you could ever get. I could see the basic things, like I knew enough basics to know this is a deer trail. I could see a deer trail. I knew what a rub was. I knew a rub was rub equals good and so I could see a couple things like that, but I just I didn't have enough context and experience, having seen a bunch of different places, having seen a bunch of deer, having been able to confirm what deer do in real life, I didn't have enough to actually even consume, like all this stuff was around me, but I couldn't even really see it because I was just focused on the only thing I could focus on, where the rubs and the trails and these basic things. And then you know, I learned a little bit more and I started getting a lot more serious about it. And then all of a suddenly I got a little bit better prescription glasses. And then when I was out there in the woods, like all of a suddenly, I was noticing, oh, that's an oak tree, and that means there could be some good food here. And then I could start to know. I say, okay, these are you know, fresher tracks, so that means this was more recent. Signed that's a good thing. And then you know, let's fast forward to now, you know, fifteen years since then, now I've got I feel like super high definition, very clean your glasses, where all of a sudden, the world is a totally different world now that I'm looking at when I walk in the woods, I'm seeing all the little details. I understand all these little details. But if someone's listening today, and if they are where I was fifteen years ago, you just there's so much out there you won't even be able to pick it up without the time out there and without diversity of experience. This is the cliche thing, which is that you and I Tony always talk about the value of going to new places and like just exposing yourself to new places where you can see different deer habitat, different deer behavior, different everything. The more you do that, I think, the more the acuity and the clarity of your your woodsmanship glasses improves to the point where you can finally actually, you know, start picking up on all these little fine tuned things that when you scout do make a big difference. But fifteen years ago, I could have listened to all these very same things, and I just would have walked through the woods and like I'd be overwhelmed with just the basics. You would never be able to get to the point where you could recognize the little things that matter, because you're still trying to figure out the big picture things that matter. So this is a long witted way of saying yes to what you're saying, Tony, which is, spend lots and lots and lots of time out there just consuming as much of the real world stuff as possible, and diversify as much as possible. So go to new properties, scout new areas, go to new regions, YadA, YadA, YadA, Because all of that is the only way that I know of to actually be able to scout and understand what you're seeing in any kind of real actionable way, which is I think, how you develop this woodsmanship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and would I would take it even a step further and say, you have to be open to all kinds like learning about all kinds of stuff. And so when I talk about like that raspberry example, I probably will never kill a deer on a raspberry pattern, like I just probably never gonna have I don't think it was interesting, But it also put me in a spot where I found some apple trees that were absolutely loaded with half grown apples, and that might come into play at some point. But it's also just a reminder to me, you know, Like I pointed this out to my little girls when we were we were in a spot in the woods. We just hit this spot where there were there was so much browse, like you could see that there's just tops were nipped off all over. And the more that you find stuff like that, the more it just like picture curiosity a little bit and you're like, what is what is this plant? And why are they eating it? And I think that feeds everything. Like you you talked about a you know, like oh, a ditch crossing or something earlier in this conversation. You know, one of the things I think about with stuff like that is we think about scouting and you go out and you're like, I'm gonna walk this river and I'm gonna find a good crossing and i'm gonna set up a stand on there. I'm gonna kill one or I'm going to walk that ditch and I'm going to find where they cross it. Now, how often do you do that? Or how often have you done that? Set up? And You're like, I am on a pounded crossing. They are all going to come through here, and what happens is a spike in you know, three dos walk through there and then the two big ones cross at a secondary crossing. You know, sixty yards downwin and bust you Yeah, and you could have walked to that. You could have just said, you know, this spot looks real good, but just in case, I'm going to check the rest of it out. And maybe you walk, you know, fifty sixty yards down there and you find another trail that has way bigger tracks in it, and you go, Okay, here's way more information. And then instead of just thinking the job is good enough because you've found what you think you're supposed to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's even more relevant, but also tricky. If this is an in season scouting situation, you know, where you are hunting a new place and you're learning it as you go, and then you're scouting along, you know, and then you find the spot and you're like, man, this looks pretty good. So there's the temptation of Okay, this looks great. If I go any further, you might blow it up. But at the same time, am I settling if I go further and then it's not as good that I did. I just then leave my scent everywhere, and then I got to go back to where I was and settle there. I mean, all of that is like the constant constant mental gymnastics. We have to navigate while trying to figure this out when you're actually trying to kill something at the same time too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I mean that kind of leads back to you know, Ted's story about killing that buck, the way they did, the way that they moved in. I guess it's not the one that you're talking about. He talked about one that was in a using a little wooded draw on a small walk in property and how they kind of, you know, work their way in until they observe, Like man, every buck that comes through seems to go right through the middle of this little shoot of timber. And I think about that stuff so much because, you know, he kind of just glossed it over because that's what those guys do, is they just observe, move, observe, move, and kill. But it's so important. And there's like two lessons there, like you don't you know, like you said in in season scouting trip, like yeah, you want to be careful. You don't want to stomp all over there, so you might you might not get that crossing right, like you might just say I'm not pushing this any further and I'm gonna sit here and who knows right? But which which is a safe way to do it? And sometimes you're just gonna make mistakes and who cares? But it's it's like a good mindset to get into. But the other part of it that with like Ted's example, was they had something that was very limited that the deer wanted to use, which was cover. And I keep thinking about this with my scouting where like you know, he's talking walking stuff in Iowa, So trees are king right, Like they got food everywhere, They've got water in a lot of spots. What they don't have in many areas Iowa's cover. So that's real important to manage your presence there. You focus on that rarity, you move in, you're real careful, you handle it with kid gloves. Now you think about you know, like where I've been scouting in northern Wisconsin, there's no shortage of cover. It's freaking everywhere. So that's not rare. It doesn't matter. So what is rare not water, So it's like some certain kinds of food and some elevation and you just look at it and go, Okay, Now when I'm scouting, yeah, I want to be better at woodsmanship. I want to find this spot in this crossing and whatever, but also just thinking like what what is a limited factor here that deer really gonna like, you know, and you and I have both hunted places where that might be water and that dumbs the things down a lot. But also, you know, Andy talked about this, Clint talked about this, Adam talked about this, like how does it play into each part of the season, you know, like because you're not only hunting the rut, or most of us aren't. So if something's rare, you know, if I'm out there in July or August and I'm like, this thing's real rare, maybe I can use it, you know, like timber cover is not going to change. Water might not change it. Might food will change a lot, But what is it going to mean for me if I have an October one opener versus you know, being out there on Halloween or being out there in the late season and thinking through the stuff you find through the scope of an entire season, you know, like that puts you, again, like on such a good foundation, even if you do plan to go mobile and in season scout a whole bunch. The more you think about that and the more you work to that kind of season long plan and those those rare features out there that deer want to they're gonna need. Man, when that stuff starts to come together, like you, you find yourself having a lot fewer sits where.
Speaker 2: You Yeah, So what what if any other major takeaways did you have coming out of this month that we haven't covered yet? Is there any other major thing that you feel like needs to be hit on again to make sure that everyone kind of captured those key points.
Speaker 3: I think you got to learn to, if not love it, at least really like it, like when you when you talk to Andy, you talk to some of these guys, they even though the scouting thing in the summer can really suck, like you're gonna I mean, you're gonna get stung by bees. Eventually you're gonna be hot and sweaty and it's gonna be nasty. And you know, if you ask my daughter, you're gonna get you know, you're gonna hit stinging needles, not nettles, Like you're gonna have shitty stuff out there, but that find that information, you know, even jumping that buck out of that little swale or something, it's always worth it. And so you got to learn. You know, like you're a runner, you've been running some half marathons, like everybody, I'm sure you have this conversation ten times a month where people are like, I hate running. I can't do it. It's like nobody likes running like I mean, we like how it makes us feel, right, but you know, there are very few people are like I just love the process of running, like I feel so it's so fun to run. You're like, no, Like, that's not it's not what it's about. It's about like the reward, it's like the result. Like it's a good positive thing to do. And if you learn to tolerate it, or you learn to like not hate it, it eventually becomes a pretty good lifestyle choice. And I think with scouting, you know, kind of like the all day sits like people talk a big game, but it's not that easy right off the bat to just love that process. But if you can learn to get to a point, and this is why, right at the beginning, I said, like, man, if you can take a little bite sized chunks of this stuff versus you know, one eight hour stand hanging marathon or whatever every three months, the whole process is way way better. And you just you learn to just love it more. And I think that when I talk to all those guys, I think one of the takeaways was just like get to a place where you at least like it, like it's it's so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's another cliche, but you know, and this can be applied to a lot of different aspects of hunting. You can apply this to you know, some people can replace some of this scouting with habitat work or those kinds of things. But you know, the cliche idea that you kill your deer in the off season and you shoot them in the fall, and you could also say you kill your deer you know on well this is that would be eliminated in season, Scott. What I'm trying to say, scouting kills deer shooting when you're actually in the tree stand, that's very a relatively small part of the hunt, right. It's it's really the work done in the off season, in the spring, in the winter, in the summer, and on the days when you're not in the tree stand, when you're actually on the ground walking or glassing all of that stuff. It's so much of deer hunting is done ahead of the moment when you're in the tree stand versus like elk hunting or meal deer hunting, where like the hunt is happening right now, and so much of is the decision you make next based off of what the deer did just now. But you know, white tail hunting world at least ambush hunting the way we're talking about right now, So much of it is putting this whole puzzle together ahead of time, leading you to the one final piece that you then place on October first or November fifth or whatever. But you can't get to that point unless there's been all of this other stuff leading up to it. And it's very worthy of a full month of discussion, if not much more.
Speaker 3: I totally agree, buddy.
Speaker 2: So do you want me to keep you up to speed on the new property scouting and learning or will it be too bitter of a pill to swallow and you'll be bitter and jealous and you'd rather me just keep it all under wraps.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm very used to you having this kind of sesame street life where everything's amazing and you're just this muppet with a big smile on your face, So you can I'm okay with it if you want to keep me posted on this beautiful new property that you got just because you're best friends with Steve Verneller or whatever. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, it might also be a total clunker. I might go out there and it be like overrun with trespassers and you know, stolen trail cameras and all sorts of craziness. So it might actually be a lot of fun for you to follow a long dude.
Speaker 3: Everyone's in a while that happens, and it sucks so much.
Speaker 2: You just never know, And that's part of the fun of the new places that you just could be anything. So I will despite the sesame street dig I'm gonna keep on sharing the story with you, hey, and we'll see if I can figure it out.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Diggs, one thing that I've been seething about since you said it at the beginning of this podcast was metrout fishing with an ugly stick.
Speaker 1: Do you like that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I would probably be able to retire tomorrow if I had bought ugly sticks instead of the fishing rods that I've been buying my entire life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and me both, man, They're a much better deal when it comes to pennies in the piggy bank at least. Oh okay, is there any other final thing you want to cover off on or are we good to wrap this up and move into August?
Speaker 3: Man, I think we're good. I think we've covered it pretty heavy.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, Well, thank you for manning the Mothership and leading us into hunting season full blown crazy prep mode here with a really good foundation of new scouting ideas or reminders. And this coming month, as we lead into the openers that many of this will experience in September, we're going to kick off with another one of my series of the what would you Do? Themed episodes? So I think you recall these, Tony, I think you were a guest on one of them.
Speaker 3: I absolutely was.
Speaker 2: Presenting a series of folks with like very specific hypothetical situations and then asking them, you know, what would you do? How would you approach this? What would be your thought process? Walk me through all that? And these end up being some of my favorites every year. So we're going to get some new folks on, some new guests and really digging deep on you know how they would tackle some tough hunting situations and hopefully give us some new ideas for this coming.
Speaker 1: Season because it is going to be here soon.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it, but we are staring down like weeks until opening day for some states.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I love it. I guess.
Speaker 2: With that, ill said Tony, let's wrap her up. Thank you everyone for tuning in. Appreciate you listening. As I managed at the top, there's those new products over all, first light dot Com, the new source vests, the Origin pant, and the trigger flip Mitt highly recommend him worth giving a little time on the website there. And with all that out of the way, good luck out there in the wood scouting. Hope you're shooting, Hope you're having fun. And until next time, stay wired to Hunt.