Speaker 1: All right, guys, welcome back to another week of brown ambition.
Speaker 2: Yes, happy Valentine's Day. Well it just passed, but still just sharing the love.
Speaker 1: It's so nice that it came on a three day weekend.
Speaker 2: I know it did, right, I mean no, it's really like a four day because people had Friday, Like kids had Friday and Monday for what I think somebody's birthday. I don't know, Like a Supergirl had Friday off and she had Monday off.
Speaker 1: So interesting, well, growing ups only had three days off. It was so freaking cold. What is happening?
Speaker 2: I know, honestly, Like they said it was the coldest I think last night they said it was the coldest it had been in twenty years in New York. I'm like, oh, that's cute.
Speaker 1: Really it was like negative a million degrees is how it felt. I'm telling you. We walked down the street just to like get our morning coffee, and I was like, I was I've never I threw like a five year olds temper tantrum. I was kicking. I was like, get me back home. I'm never doing this again. Why did you bring me out here? Oh? Lord, have mercy. You were talking about your V Day and like, yeah, you guys had a good V Day. I had a good But what do you feel about people who hate on V Day? I don't.
Speaker 2: I just don't get it. I'm like, it just seems that it doesn't matter what you think about whether or not somebody should enjoy that holiday. I mean, I get that it's been highly commercialized. Obviously, it's just it's a quote unquote made up holiday. And then I, yes, I do believe that you should show love three hundred and sixty five days a year, but it's to me, it's just like with everything else, if someone decides that they want to enjoy Valentine's Day. I never was a big Valentine's Day person, but if I'm with someone who, you know, likes to do stuff for Valentine's Day, I'm open to that. I just I never understood why people care so much how people celebrate their holidays, as long as they're not like sacrificing puppies, Like why do you care? You know?
Speaker 1: I think it's just I feel even though I've been with someone like even for me going into Rite Aid or Dwayne Reid and seeing just like the Valentine's Day explosion, Like even I cringe because it's crazy. But I think it's I'm not down for, Like I don't ever, I'm not down for the box of heart shaped chocolates and the giant teddy bear. Like what is an adult woman going to do with like a thirty five pound teddy bear? I saw someone. I saw a man purchase this and ride a the other day and they literally had to put it inside two trash bags. Is how big it was. It's just where's she going to put that? Apartments are small? Is it gonna sit on the couch?
Speaker 2: Teddy Bears pag right now because you're taking just as much space as a roommate, Like, no, you're right though. Those things are kind of ridiculous, And I feel like I did see one woman which I thought was hilarious. She must have gotten one of those teddy Bears. She gutted it so she cut out the bag, we got all the stuff, and then she put it on and totally sat on the couch and scared her boyfriend, which I thought.
Speaker 1: Was wait, wait she put it on like she put herself inside of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she took she cut the back of the teddy Bear like a slit, pulled out the stuff in well enough of it anyway, so she could fit in and put it on and like sat like sat on the couch and sat inside of it and proceeded to scare the living daylights out of anybody who walked by it.
Speaker 1: I will go really far to scare someone. It was like something I would do. I will sit. When I was in college, I used to crawl. You know when you in college, we had bed risers, like the little things you put your bed on so you can put stuff underneath. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, So it was really easy to slip under her bed and I would wait, like one day, I waited two hours for my roommate to come home just so I could snatch he rank. Or I would hide in the shower and wait, I will wait.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh I love scaring people.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was hilarious. I was like, that's to me, that's the only thing I could see one of those bare things being of use for, like to just gut it where it scared people and then be like, Okay, I'm good.
Speaker 1: It's like I spend fifty five dollars on that.
Speaker 2: It does seem so ridiculous, But yeah, I mean, like I said, I had a good V Day. We didn't do anything like over the top. We went to a combo show, which was a lot of fun, and we just like, I made dinner, but I always make dinner, so that wasn't like huge. But I was just like I tried a new recipe, which I personally guess this ever happened to you that you tried a recipe and you thought, great, this is disgusting and they've liked it.
Speaker 1: No, the officsite usually happens. I'm like, Yo, this is the bomb, and he's like.
Speaker 2: No. I was so nervous. So Supermom came over. So Supermom So Superman has a daughter, Supergirl, and she's got a mom who's awesome Supermom. So she came over earlier, like she came over to pick up Supergirl, but Supergirl and Superman they were not home, so she and I were just chatting and like, so I'm always cooking, so she came over and she's a really good cook too, So it was like, taste this, Supermom, what do you think. She's like, it's not bad, Tiffany, I think it just needs to like settle in the pot. I was like, oh, that's the way of saying it's disgusting, but you're trying to be nice.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily but possibly I know.
Speaker 2: And then like, I was so nervous because Superman is not one of those guys who says, baby, it tastes good when it doesn't, you know, some guys do that, like it's really good. No, he's one of those, Yeah, this is not good. But I gave it to him and he was like, this is so good. I was like, you don't. You don't have to be nice. He's like, you know, I'm not nice about food. This is really good. And I went and tasted it like maybe maybe it did settle. No, it did not. I don't know what he was eating, but he liked it so good.
Speaker 1: Now he can eat the whole thing exactly.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, good, because I don't think that.
Speaker 1: I realized that all my significant other, all he wanted in the world was like a croissant, or a sausage, egg and cheese on a roll, or like peanut butter and jelly. The day that I realized that was like an awakening for me. I'm sitting here trying to do like you do this like fancy stew and make the pot roast and like stuff. I not that I cook that often or like all the time, but when I do, I'm like, oh, I'm really going to impress him with this, Like all the man wants is a grill cheese.
Speaker 2: Isn't that so crazy when you think about it. I mean, like i'd say Superman has varied tastes, like I if I tried something a little fancier, He's open to it. Like even Supergirl. I'm always surprised at what she's willing to eat. I'm like, you really eat quenoa because we've like eliminated like all the white rice from our diet, so we use brown rice, which I'm not a super fan of, but last time I made it was actually pretty good. We use brown rice and quenoa. You know, we don't when I first came. They ate a lot of red meat. We don't anymore. They ate a lot of pork, We don't anymore. Like I totally have transformed our diet to be healthier, and they've been, you know, if they've been Trooper. So that's one of the reasons why I try so hard for things to taste good, because I've you know, I've taken out kind of like all the inherently like inherently bad for you, I guess foods, and like switched it with things that are better for you and but don't necessarily taste better. So I've been really working hard to make it taste better.
Speaker 1: And so you took the leadership on that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, because I was like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Feel like all that pressure to control what the household eats. I feel like I'm falling into that, and it just bothers me a little bit. I'm gonna be honest, really, if I don't cook the healthy food, oh yeah, other things will get eaten that are not healthy.
Speaker 2: Chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure, you know what I mean. And it bothers me. I'm like, why can't but there's ingredients you can just make a salad. He's like, I don't know. I don't see them altogether in front of me. That sounds like a lot of work the houses down the street, you know, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, Like honestly, one of his regular one of Superman's regular meals was turkey RONI don't ask me what.
Speaker 1: That was, but wait, was that like tuna noodle? Like the tuna ronny, like the yeah in.
Speaker 2: The box or like yeah but it was a whole moshposh of like and I'm like sugar, sugar is an ingredient and in spaghetti sauce, I don't even. It was just a lot going on. And now, really what the reason why I took over is because I had gained like ten pounds the first six months, and I said, yeah, so no, I can't live like this. Something something is happening because he Superman is naturally slam And I was just like, okay, Tiffany, you have to take control. The only part I don't mind the cooking. Actually enjoy cooking because it's actually very therapeutic for me. What I do not enjoy is food shopping. But I cannot send him anymore because he comes back with like the same old stuff that we can't. I can't make. Yeah, like I love being home and wanting something like the other day I was like, oh my god, I want ice cream. And if I send him food chopping, there would be like four types of ice cream for me to choose from an indulgent. But because I go food chopping now there were not There wasn't And what I do had is I had frozen banana. So I made my frozen banana ice cream, which is just frozen banana, a little bit of almond milk and whatever flavor you want, Like you can use unsweetened coco powder, you can use raw. I use raw almond butter and unsweetened cocoa powder. And it was so good. It tasted like chocolate peanut butter ice cream. And I got my ice cream without actually having ice cream. Now, like I said, and Superman went chopping, I would have been, you know, two elbows deep in talany ice cream.
Speaker 1: Jam to lenty l, five bucks of pint and worth.
Speaker 2: Every freaking handy. But I'm just good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm talking to me about ice creaming.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm on the worst freaking diet right now. I mean it's good, but it's so bad I can't There's literally nothing I can eat except four vegetables and meat. Yeah. It's it's called the Whole thirty Program. There's a book about it. It's called It Starts with Food, and I've been reading it. The whole philosophy is really just about rethinking the way you eat food without getting too much into it, and stripping down everything to the bear basics and taking out anything, and I mean anything, with added sugar. Do you know what sugar is in everything?
Speaker 2: Everything, everything you want, everything.
Speaker 1: You thought was healthy, sugar is in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's not just like you can't you can have like things like fruit juice, which has sugar in it naturally, but not added sugar. So it's all about the added sugar. And it's been really freaking difficult, especially living with someone who's, as I speak, out there chowing down in a giant cupcake because he's like, ah, this, I'm not here for this, that's life. But it's only thirty days. I'm trying it out, you know. I'm feeling a lot more energetic, but it's the weekends like this where it's freaking cold out and all I want it's just like a big hunk of bread and some soup, and like this is the struggle a glass of wine. I can't have wine? Like uh. And we went we visited his mom's and his mom and dad today and his mom loves to cook, she loves to feed you. And I was like, let me, let me predict how many times I'm going to offend your mother today because I can't eat this. I can't eat that. I'm not doing this and not doing that, but you know what, like she was fine for me being picky about the food. What really got her is when she made us tea like fresh tea from lemon, grass and mint, which was delicious on its own, and I said, oh, no, no sugar. She lost her mind. Really yes, she was like she was so much so that she was on the phone with somebody she was like, you'll never believe my son's woman because she calls me her son's woman for some reason, uh did not want sugar in her tea. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, oh my god. I love the First of all, I'm not sure whether it's a giggle at first the fact that you're her son's woman, or the fact that the fact.
Speaker 1: That Spanish saying yeah, it's kind of like saying.
Speaker 2: No, no, believe me, no, I'm African. That is so typical, like if even when you're just dating someone, they'll just be like such and such as wife said. I mean the wife could be a doctor, she could have healed cancer, and you will always be oh, such a such wife. So believe me. I understand that culture. But that's just funny that that's the thing that that took her over the edge the sugar.
Speaker 1: In the tea. She was appalled. But I, in my real life, even before this, I didn't take sugar in my tea. I digress. Speaking of Red Lobster, can you talk about we talk about the fact that since Beyonce's single dropped, Red Lobster sales skyrocket at thirty three percent. What thirty three percent? That is the power of Beyonce. Yeah, be given her money, real money, No, for real.
Speaker 2: I just that is just in fla. Like I always said that, you know, when I was growing my brand a budget, said that I would love influence over fame that you know. I don't want to be someone who can't walk down the street or anything like that. Not that I'm anywhere near close to that that, but I've much rather influenced. Like I'm like, hey, let's budget and people do or let's save money and people do. So that's just critical. Wow, that's awesome she has.
Speaker 1: That's the power of the bee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is wow.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at some headlines I was saving over the week.
Speaker 2: Oh I saw this.
Speaker 1: Cool. There's a new study out that shows that women, when women are in company leadership positions, the companies have stronger profits.
Speaker 2: Mmm, would you look at that?
Speaker 1: This is the New York Times, so you know it's legit, And I feel like we've talked about that before, how important it is to have women into leadership roles. But what's even more important When we talk about increasing diversity in the workplace or having more women in leadership roles. People tend to roll their eyes. But it things like this that show that there's a real monotary value and it sucks that we have to, you know, get out a calculator and prove it. But people need to see like you're literally holding your company back if you're not diversifying the top down. So I love studies like this.
Speaker 2: No, me too, because I just think that when you when you start to it's like women line, women lie, men line, numbers don't. And when you pull out numbers like that, it's just what are you arguing against having women like oh they're gonna have babies, Oh they're gonna leave, Oh this are emotional, and yet the numbers are saying that even if all of these things are true, it still works in your benefit to have women in leadership positions.
Speaker 1: It's all about balance. I don't know, I feel like, and it's not like all women work the same exactly, It's all going to be more balanced. We talked about before how it's important not just to have women, but like women from different backgrounds, ages, you know, some who are mothers and juggling out, some who chose not to have kids. Like. It's just the more different points of view you can bring to the table, the better workplace you're going to make for all of your employees.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so yeah, I think that having women of different backgrounds working in the same place is always a good idea, just because when I used to teach, it was just nice to be able to pull from a pool of women with different experiences, do.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking of women in leadership. So you know, over the weekend, Supreme Court Justice Antoninscalia passed away. Yeah, which is it's really sad. I mean, he would you know, he has his reputation, wasn't that great, especially if you are a progressive liberal type of person who cares about women's rights and gay marriage and just stuff like that. Yes, so people were saying some really awful things about him and his legacy, but you know, respect to the guy. But what everyone's talking about now of course is like, so Obama has less than a year in office, he has every right constitutionally to appoint the next Supreme Court justice. And of course Republicans are like, no, like we should wait until after the election. La. Yeah, but I saw something really cool today that Loretta Loretta Lynch, who is right now the US Attorney General, is like the most likely candidate to replace Scalia, and that make her the first African American woman to hold a Supreme Court seat.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Which would be monumental.
Speaker 2: Which would be monumental. Yeah. I just don't understand, like because I was watching on the news this morning when the Republicans are kind of going in like he can, he can appoint who he wants. We're not gonna let him. We're not going to approve them. And I'm just like, are you just he's a president of the United States, whether you like it or not, like you know, they don't like it, I know, you know, or just even people saying like he how dare he want to a point, you know, the next Supreme Court justice? I'm like, well, I'm sorry, last time I checked, that's in his uh, that's in his his Uh what does the thing called there? Like I'm not gonna his job description, Like, I just it's.
Speaker 1: In the Constitution that all these politicians are. You know, they come into the office saying how they all uphold the Constitution, like but until it's not convenient for them. It's just like there's so many parallels to the Bible and how people treat that, you know what I mean. Yeah, and it just text, It's just it bothers me. What's really funny? What's hypocritical about this whole situation. There's been these news reports now that have pointed back that back in the eighties when Antonin Scalia was appointed at Supreme Court justice by Reagan, it was right before election day, like less than a month or less than two months away from election day, so very convenient that when a Republican president, yeah, in the in the seat, he's you know totally fine. No one, not even Democrats, said anything against that back in the eighties. But it's such a different climate today, politicial, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is. And honestly, I try I try not to just just because like preservation of peace of mind and spirit. Honestly, I it's just so much ugliness out there that it's it's very trying because like even like on Facebook, you know some of the stuff that your friends post, like not your friends, just saying in general that you know, there's just so much going on with like death and killing, police brutality, and it's just so much that sometimes you have to take a step back because it can be it can be very heavy, and I understand these are things that are actually happening. So I definitely don't turn it off all the way because I have to know what's happening. But at the same time, I'm conscious that I have to be careful of how much exposure I allowed on a daily basis, because it can be I just don't understand how politicians deal with this ugliness day in and day out, like and then sleep that night.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. It takes to such a high level of narcissism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, because even with Obama.
Speaker 1: You have to be really narcissistic to want it to take up this mantle. Yeah, I would not. I would never. I would make the worst politician. Oh my god, can you just know? Too much fakery, too much nonsense, too much bs, all these debates. But I do feel like it's, like you said, it's really important just to keep paying attention anyway, Just keep one ear open, just read one thing a day to sort of stay abreast of what's happening. I hated what Glorious Steinem said the other day. She got so much heat for this glorious Dynem feminist icon comes out and says that, you know she I think she was asked why young women are supporting Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton, who would be the first female president, and her answer was something like, well, you know, young girls just want to be wherever the boys are, where their boyfriends are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you mentioned the last podcast, and I was just like, oh god.
Speaker 1: Rightfully show rightfully. So she got torn apart for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is kind of an aside. So have you heard of His name is Martin Schreckel. Is that his last name?
Speaker 1: Scarelli?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Whatever, right, I'm right at this point. He's one of those ones that I'm like, I don't even care about getting.
Speaker 1: Tell the podcast role up. They don't know who this who this guy is?
Speaker 2: So he is the king of all dischbags. And so he is this young man who is he owns a pharmaceutical company and he raised some critical medicine in cancer, right and HIV to of those medicines. I think he raised it by like I don't even know, like eight hundred percent, Like they used to be seven dollars and he made it like seven hundred dollars. And he is just that he just was called before. Was that Congress or the Senate? Who was he called before?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't know. I know he's on trial right now. He was he was arrested on some kind of fraud.
Speaker 2: Yes, because he so he was just called. I think it was a call to testify before Congress. Basically they were asking him, like why did you raise like you're gonna be rich anyway, because you know, these medicines people need to live, like to stay alive, So why raise these critical medicines to this level? Like you know, why make them so expensive that people are literally gonna die because they can't afford it? And he just did not care. And he's smirking the whole time and like laughing, And I don't know. There are some people who and you know, I don't wanly believe in people being like pure evil, but there are some people who I believe there's just something inside of it them. And he thinks it's funny and they were like, you think it's funny that people are dying, and he just was like, I believe it's a fifth I don't know's it was weird to watch him. So anyway, this is like not even about that. So he wrote Kanye on Twitter, which was kind of funny, that he wanted to buy Kanye's next album for ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: And then he also so he bought the Wu Tang Clans album.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, for two million, like a few years too.
Speaker 1: The only copy, yes, And he loves bragging about that that he owns the only.
Speaker 2: Copy yeah, which is like okay, And so he sent it to Kanye and I don't know, he just wants the only you know, it's really to me. His thing obviously is clearly about power. And he wrote which I thought was like so crazy. This is so indicative of what type of person he is. He said, this is one of the tweets Kanye and his label are legally required to take my offer letter to their board of directors. This should delay the album by a few days. Like is that what this is about? He's just I don't know, just some people like that. You're just like okay, so whatever, I don't know what's going to happen as a result.
Speaker 1: He's on a power trip. I work with people like that, not to that extent, obviously, not with the power, not with the power to make drugs so expensive people can't afford them. But it's really tough when you're around people like that who get a high off of wielding their power just for whatever reason, just for dumb reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like it, just like dangerous reasons. Like he gets a high. I feel like it's almost like when you see him talking about, you know, raising the cost of these pills, it's like he gets a high of knowing that people will die because they can't afford it, Like what, you know, what else is that? Because you know, when they're asking him these questions, he's literally smirking and smiling and giggling and laughing, and you're like, wow, you know, there are people who who enjoy killing, there are people who enjoy hurting other people. There just are you know, there's sociopaths, basically, and to me, he's just one of them. And you know, you could tell there's some ways they're trying, in some way, shape or form, to put him behind bars. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you know who else gets a lot of flak for making people spend a lot of money that they can't afford, people who are getting married. Yeah, I was reading this so Cosmo, which you know, I don't tend to read on purpose, but I ran across this article. The shade is real. Yes, Like I said, I'm never going to be a politician and at never. So there's this really good article. I thought people probably are polarized by it, but it's it's called what it's It's from the perspective of a bridesmaid who's talking about what it's like to be the poor bridesmaid in the wedding party. And I've only been a bridesmaid once, but I've been in so many situations where all your friends want to go spend a lot of money and they just expect you to run along with them. And it can be really embarrassing when you know you're out of dinner together and everyone is assumes you can all split the bill, or you know, you want to go somewhere for your annual like you want to have an annual camping trip, and everyone assumes you can all afford the really expensive, you know, lodge or campsite or whatever, and you're embarrassed, so you go along with it, and the whole time you're really uncomfortable and you're sweating it. And I thought that her take on it was was pretty honest. I mean, she talks about all the bridesmaids. You know, she gets paid every two weeks, and she was saving up one page the next paycheck. She was looking forward to it to go ahead and buy her ticket for the bachelorette party, which of course was in a different state, and blah blah blah, and the bridesmaids were like, oh no, no, no, we got to book them all together and on the same flight right now, And it was two weeks before she was ready, and so because of that, she wasn't on the same flight with them, and they made her feel bad for that. And I don't know, I just feel like when you are when you're asking your friends to spend money, you should know what your friend's situation is or have a good idea if you're asked someone to, you know, take on this huge financial burden and be in your wedding I I you know, on the one hand, you can say, oh, it's your day, you call the shots. Everyone does what you want, but it's not fair. Yeah, I assume everyone can afford stuff. And you know, I was one of my coworkers was asking me because I told him we were thinking about doing a destination wedding. I mean, we're definitely doing a destination wedding. And he's like, oh, so you're gonna make your friends go to a bachelorette party in like a different state and all this kind of stuff. I was like, well, no, I'm asking all my friends to come to resort or probably just gonna do everything at the resort the week of the wedding.
Speaker 2: You know, that would be nice.
Speaker 1: And I hope that people out there, like if you call these people your friends. I just feel like you should know that some people need help or some people won't be able to do that. I feel like what happens is like when the bride doesn't she like this happens, I think. And this is what the woman in the article was talking about too. She was dealing with like bridesmaids she didn't know, Okay, like you know, it's the random cousin or the random yeah, a friend from camp or whatever. And when the bride steps out the picture and allows the bridesmaid to plan stuff knowing that they don't all know each other and stuff, Yeah, word, stuff happens.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm so glad that I have four sisters. So I had already put my best friends on notice, like, just so you know, it's so.
Speaker 1: Easy when you have sisters who can argue with that.
Speaker 2: I know, And that's exactly what I said, because honestly, I have two best friends and they're like, so, who's gonna be your maid of honor? I said to one of my sisters. I don't even want to hear it because you can't even argue because I can't choose one of my best friends. The other one will be so hurt. And I'm like, but if I choose my sister, you might not be happy with it, but you cannot argue, like this is my sister, and.
Speaker 1: So friends I unlock exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm like one of my sisters I always call being the maid of honor aka the slave for the day. So I'm like, so, which one of y'all? And even honestly, I'm not even super sentimental about it. I'm just gonna be like, who wants to be the maid of honor?
Speaker 1: I put so much weight on these roles, Like this is what I wanted to share. Oh, I just so, I was doing some research. Can you hear all that noise?
Speaker 2: It's noise on my end?
Speaker 1: No, no, on my end. Some they're like snowplowing. Anyway, you can't hear it. That's good. So recently I was wondering, like, so we have these things called bridesmaid and groomsmen, but like why, what is the purpose of these people standing up there? And so I started digging into the history of it. Do you want to know why bridesmaids became a thing?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: And groomsmen? Because centuries ago people were really afraid of demons and evil spirits, and so they had bridesmaids and groomsmen. First of all, the bridesmaids dressed up very similar to what the bride was wearing, and they were there to be decoys for evil spirits, so they wouldn't take the bride wow, they would go for the bridesmaids. So they were basically decoys, like bait for evil spirits, and the groomsmen were supposed to be there. This is something else I heard was that you know when there used to be huge amounts of dowry, like a dowry given to the grooms family, So the Groomsmen were kind of there to protect against people trying to come and steal that dowry.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's interesting for me to go back in time and just realize they're Okay, there used to be a purpose for this, but now we're just kind of doing it just to do it, yep, and putting so much weight and stress on people talking about oh you're the native honor that means you got to hold my train and playing the bridle shower.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't even honestly, I don't. I don't even want all that, Like I would like, like I always say, I always like a really nice dinner. Yes, like you may be like a small church wedding and like a really nice dinner where I just find like a small to medium sized restaurant that I run out for the evening and then family and friends, they eat, they dance, they but under under seventy five people, which is like considered two people in African culture good for real, because people are like that's not that small. I'm like, no, no, you don't unerstand under seventy five people it's like so just just your just your your family that you grew up with inside your house. And so yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Like the six month rule, like if you haven't talked to them in the last six months and then you know, not not on the invitation.
Speaker 2: List, So what are your So it's a time for brown break because I think I'm ready to brown break. Yep, bron break my brown break. It would seem odd since I kind of make my living using this this mechanism. I am taking a brown break from social media. I'm so tired, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: How long as it's brown breaking to before. By the way, you asked for a brown break from the snow and the weather was like.
Speaker 2: The weather's like, you know what, pick something else. I know, So I don't like honestly, I can't even really take a legitimate brown break from social media. This is just like a brown breaking name only it's just that like I guess because I used social media for my living that I can't take a full break. But I don't know, it's not as enjoyable just because maybe I just need to switch up my timeline or maybe the people that I follow. I just feel like sometimes it's slightly depressing, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean when you're using it every day for like to promote yourself, it can like it can lose. It's fun, like relaxed, sort of like everyone in a while just check in and see what's happening sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, outside, I try, but you know, Facebook, honestly, it's there's a lot of especially you know, remember everybody was doing their whole thing pieces about Beyonce, so that was like not fun. The only place that I do really fully enjoy and I get my life is Instagram because there's Instagram comedians that I follow that are like, you know, not like comedians like in real life, but like for whatever reason, they make hilarious videos or they have hilarious memes. So I have like five accounts that I sneak and I watch and I like giggle my life away fifteen seconds at a time. So I do enjoy Instagram.
Speaker 1: I'm here for Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I tagged Drina or like some of my Drina is one of my best friends or my other friends, because we have like this like circle of people that were like look at this and isn't he hilarious? And isn't this funny. So yeah, so that's the one place that I'm like, you know, it's fun. But Facebook. Twitter hasn't been fun for a while. It's just like whatever. But Instagram still is fun. Facebook is definitely not fun anymore. I'm always like, uh, what I feel like. Whenever I opened up my Facebook account, I'm like going to work. You know, I.
Speaker 1: Almost broke my unfollowed button. I unfollow people all the time. Sometimes we share devices in our household, Like I'll just pick up whichever laptop's closest to me. And there's been times where I've been like I don't know this person, and I'll unfollow somebody and it's actually my fiance's Facebook, Like whoosh.
Speaker 2: No, you know who unfriended me? That I cannot believe. But I kind of understand. But I'm like, really, Superman, he unfriended you? Yes, I said why because the other day I was trying to tag him and I was like, I want to let me tag him. But I look at it, said friend and as a friend, I'm like, whoa, that's weird. We're friends. I was like Superman like someding. I was like, aren't we friends on Facebook? He said?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I meant to talk to you about that. I was like wow, and I said why. He was like, I'm not gonna lie, Tiffany. My whole timeline was you.
Speaker 1: My whole You can unfollow somebody. That's what's so great about it. They don't ever know.
Speaker 2: He said, I did that and it's still was you. I was like, you don't even know how to these technology. You didn't. You probably didn't un follow me properly, because you know what it was. At one point he had something clicked where it was like, I don't even know how he clicked it that every note he got a notification every time I posted anything.
Speaker 1: Oh god, And so that broke I'm crazy.
Speaker 2: What And so I tried to tell him him like, no, that that's not because he doesn't really use honestly Facebook much and so I was like, of course that's going to drive you crazy. I get that, but you can unclick that. He's like, no, I did I did. I'm like, you probably did it because if I was still showing up. I was like, you didn't have to unfriend me. That's so drastic. And then he tried to friend me back, but I'm full and he was like, well, so as I can't friend you back. I was like, I don't. I'm really I still have mixed emotions I feel about it.
Speaker 1: I can max out your Facebook friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can. It's five thousand, you know, five thousand people. No, but you can't.
Speaker 1: Delete one person, so can be your friend and so your friends.
Speaker 2: No, I know, no, I don't even know. I feel like he doesn't want to be reor for the reason. It's like, I don't know. He has this thing about separating Tiffany from the budgetista.
Speaker 1: That's probably a good idea.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, that's why I was like, you know, at first, of course, you know, your initial knee jerk reaction is no. But then I was like, well, Tiffany, it's not like you don't know him in real life. I mean, you live together. Like, it's not like he's going to miss any special updates. And so I thought about it and I said, you know what, it's nice. What I enjoy about Superman is that, you know, of course he supports my business and stuff, but he really is not like a business. He just doesn't care more about my business than about me, you know what I mean. So I had to balance it was like, you know, he always says like Tiffany, whether you do the budgetista or not, whether you're a school teacher, whether whatever it is. I love you like you. I don't attach you to your business, which I actually like. And I kind of like the separation at home because sometimes it can be very overwhelming. So it's nice not to have to come home to business as well, even though I work from home.
Speaker 1: You know, it's nice to have something to tell somebody exactly. And so yeah, I didn't even just find out, and so I don't you know, he doesn't post anything crazy. It's not like the same thing with you. You know, I use his phone all the time.
Speaker 2: He us his mind, so it's not like I'm like, you know, I'm not missing out and anything on Facebook. But at first I was like, I can't believe you unfriended me. But then I was like, you know, I kind of feel him in that, you know. I mean, he could have just unfollowed, because yes, that's how technology works. But I understood stood once I realized that he was getting notifications every time I coughed on Facebook. That must have been and we've been friends for years. I'm like, that must have been so annoying. Because his brother said the same thing, which I'm like, are you he has a twin brother, and he was like, oh my god, tip Facebook, it is Tiffany all day every day. I'm like, are you guys? Are your notifications turned on for me or something? So I don't know, but yeah, So like I'm leaving as this at this point, we're leaving it. He was like, do you want me to friend you back? Because I was going to drop somebody for him, and I was like, no, Let's just leave it and see how we feel it, you know, either way, because truthfully, I use my Facebook mostly even my personal I use it mostly for business anyway. So yeah, I've I'm at peace with the fact that my future boom, my future fiance, is not my friend on Facebook.
Speaker 1: You can live. Do you think he still loves you though I know five thousand people don't know that your friends.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, I'll live with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this week my brown break. I have to say I've been thinking about this for a while. It's been festering. This idea is the idea of forced office socialization. And what I mean by that is the fact that like, if one person wants to go to happy hour, everybody's got to go and if you don't go, then oh your name, come party with us. But like, I literally see my work family more than my real family, and I just feel like this is one instance when they can. People can make you feel bad for not wanting to be the social butterfly center of attention out at a party all the time. And I think that again, it kind of goes back to why it's so important to have people in leadership who have different perspectives and stuff, because if you have one person who thinks that, you know, you're not cool unless you're hanging out and shimoosing and chest bumping and stuff like you're not down, then you'll look down upon people who maybe have a lot to bring to the table but aren't out there after work at happy hour, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, and that is just crazy because that has nothing to do like with your poor for I could see if they're like, hey, Mandy, you know you really don't get along well with anybody in their office. Maybe if you extended yourself outside of the office that would help. I could see that. But if there was no other criticism, then how does that just because you know, not everybody's a social butterfly. Some people are introverts. Some people, you know, you might have like, you know, a sick grammar at home and you really can't go out. So then what I'm just just be like, sorry, Grandma, You're just gonna have to make do with this life alert bracelet while I go party with my friends. Brown breaking it from social media and Brown breaking it for what was your bron breaking it.
Speaker 1: Forced office socialization.
Speaker 2: Yes, forced office socialization. That's not cool. We have a question this week? Are we gonna do a question?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We promised we'd answer two questions this week, so I am going to pull them up right now. Okay, So if the first question comes from Taylor, Taylor, thanks for sending us in your question. Hey t t she has a question about just t TS going there right away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, it's t R.
Speaker 1: Her last names leinar So says, I love the podcast, Thank you so much. I love that you guys are like, oh, she likes other podcasts. Another round in the read also great? Oh what's a good company? Thank you? Yes, so, she d says, let me start from the very beginning. It's a very long email, so let me do to do to do? So she says, like Mandy. I think the mentor concept is a bit heavy, so I usually look at those types of relationships in the context of general networking. I usually don't like to network through events, but in a more organic context in terms of people I've worked with, school alumni, forum speakers, et cetera. Especially since my field she works in the government in law, doesn't really emphasize being social as much as focusing on media, or as much as other careers like media or sales. Got it so recently she emails. She says, I emailed the professor from law school at the beginning of the month she graduated three and a half years ago, just saying thank you for how she's inspired me to pursue what I'm doing now. And I haven't even heard back from her, not even a thank you. She says. I was super upset because she was really nice as a teacher, and I attached my holiday card which had a picture of me, so she'd know I was a fellow sista her work, and she does civil rights and she does civil rights related work. I know logically that everyone won't want to connect with me, but here's my question, how do you deal with the rejection slash lack of response from people you reach out to or really admire. That's painful.
Speaker 2: It is that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sucks. I've been that person. My first technical thought is like, maybe that attachment made it go to junk mail.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that. I was going to say, honestly that especially if it was really nice and you reach I mean, I don't know the teacher obviously, but like if she was a cold teacher in class, you know, then I'd be like, well, girl, you know what, you see what you got, but it might not have made it to her like primary inbox, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's just if it was a school email, they can be super touchy about yes, weird attachments and stuff.
Speaker 2: So you'd be surprised. So I would not I would not take it personally. You might want to follow up with an email, you know, without an attachment, just to be like, hey, I reached out to you, just you know, just kind of reiterating what you said in.
Speaker 1: The definitely follow up, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: You know. And then even if you have her number, because you know a lot of professors have like office hours numbers, if you really did enjoy her as a professor and want to connect crawl. You just never know, like when you're mailing things or you're emailing things. I try not to take it super personally because there's been times when people have like hit me up and they're like, hey, girl, you never responded. I sent you an email about X y Z, and I'm like, you did. So it's not always that people are like shading you. Sometimes they just didn't get it. So one, tell yourself that and that you're going to try to follow up in a more concrete way. And two, even if she was just not that she's not interested but maybe overwhelmed, you have to also understand that life happens for some people. Like I was working. I have a new lawyer. She's amazing and she seems so important, and then she was late on one of our deadlines and I was like, what's going on. She didn't seem like that person not to kind of like one to miss a deadline and then two not to like say hey, I'm not going to have your contract ready. I reached out to a friend of mine who connected us, and he said, oh my gosh, I forgot to tell you, Tiffany, but her father just passed away. Now Meanwhile, when I met the lawyer. The week prior, her father was in the hospital, and she told me that she's, like, my father's in the hospital. So if my phone rings, please excuse me if I have to pick up, because I just never know because he's really elderly and so and she's like, you know, we're really close. She's you know, she was really nice. She opened up and told me that they were so close, and her phone did indeed ring, and it was her mom, and they talked briefly and we got back to business. So you see what I mean that, like, had he not told me, she's not going to write me and say, hey, by the way, like, I'm in a really dark place right now because my father, who was like everything has passed. You know, even though you might think like that sometimes something is about you, it's most times not about you. It's bigger than you.
Speaker 1: You know, say that a million let's get that like inscribed on kind of bumper sticker coffee mug. It's not always about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not you. Just not to say that this professor had had her father pass away, but life happens in people's life. One she might not have gotten the message to some thing might have happened, she might be overwhelmed or three, You're right. Sometimes it is they're just not that into you, and it does suck. But then it's better then to find out early and then to put your energy into someone who is interested in connecting with you. So if it's you know so, and then I mean, and you don't have to love it, right, it's okay to be like, hey, that sucks.
Speaker 1: I've definitely reached out to authors and other writers.
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: When I was at this conference in October, it was all women journalists and there were there was this these two women. One works for or used to work for, Al Jazeera and the other one works on one of my favorite NPR shows, I'll just say that. And she was on a panel and I got up there to talk and we were about to launch Brown Ambishner. We had just launched it, and I was really excited to talk to her and you know, ask for advice and stuff. And she looked at me like I was like a crazy fan or something like that, you know, sort of like brushed me off and uh and uh, look to me like I was coming to ask her for something. You know, like when people just assume that you want something for them other than like I wasn't asking for a job. I was just you know, wanting to like I connect on that level of Oh we both created something really cool, and let's talk about you know, how you got started and stuff and that. You know, but you know, not everyone it's gonna be perfect, and not everyone is gonna be the dream mentor or the dream friend or whatever. And you know, and sit down and have a cup of coffee and just put a soul out with you. They're not all you know, God, very God money mother Lynette Kawfani Cox, Yes.
Speaker 2: Who is amazing, And honestly, I don't even know how she does it because even me, I get a lot of requests for people wanting like some sort of mentorship. And I always especially if it's a young woman, especially you know, like a lot of times they're like, ooh, can we go for coffee? And I'm like, well, I don't have time necessarily to go for coffee, but I always at least set up a call just because I know how it was when I first started. And then I invite them to stay connected, like I'm if you are wanting to like kind of like seek advice for me, You're certainly welcome to email me on a regular basis, you know, text and call. But I'm not gonna lie. I'm not the best with like, hey, extra call. Well, I don't mind people texting or calling, like if it's like like I said, especially like I like mentoring young women. And what I find is, honestly, it's really only those people who are really serious that that maintain contact with me. So I'll tell them, like, you know, We'll have a great conversation half an hour an hour where I kind of pour into them what I've learned thus far, and then I let them know, you know, when you get to this next step or you've you know, or you have more, you need more advice, feel free to reach back out to me. And most people don't. Just most people just don't follow it, which is fine, but I'm open to it. But I know that there definitely have been I'm not gonna lie, there have been older women who have reached out asking for more, and I'm less likely to say yes if I'm overwhelmed, Like I never turned down to one young woman, which I know it sounds terrible, but because I guess, I guess I feel like, well, wow, she's really starting out. But if someone's kind of like it's usually a lot of the older women reach out more so looking for a coach than like a mentor, you know, because like, you know, the mentor, it's weird mentoring, Like I don't know like a you know, forty five year old fifty five year old women, So I don't I don't do one on one coaching. So I usually tell people like, no, I don't do one I don't have the capacity. But if you're looking for a conversation and like a quick tip or whatever, I don't have a problem with that. It's just that sometimes people. What is hard is for people who come back to the well but not in a like hey, miss Tiffany, that was great advice. You know, I took what you said and it's doing well, and I wanted to thank you and quick question about this. Some people come back to the well to just take and without pouring back in and pouring back into me just means like, give me an update, what's going on? Are you using what I gave you? Or you just hear for more advice even though you have not implemented what I told you before. You know, right, So there's a mix, you know, So I kind of feel like, you know, I'm on the to end some time reach out to people, and I get ignored, and sometimes people reach out to me. I never ignore. I always at least respond back and say, hey, now at this moment of time, or sure, let's talk next Friday. And there's been times when people have reached out to me, I'm like, let's talk next Friday. And I always put the onus on them, like I'll give them my phone number, and I'm like, hey, this is the time. I'll send a Google invite. And sometimes they don't even show up. They won't call, they won't show up for the Skype call, and I'm like, okay, well first and last, So yeah, well all.
Speaker 1: Right, Taylor, sounds like you should follow up. Yep, don't attach anything weird, just a one liner. Don't write a whole long thing, just a one liner. I let her know that she really inspired you and like you would love to chat or whatever or whatnot, but don't give.
Speaker 2: Up, Yeah, don't. And then it's then you find somebody else to pour into. So that was our second question.
Speaker 1: Number two comes from Rosie.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rosie, I feel like.
Speaker 1: I might know this person but I'm not one hundred percent sure if she's who I think she is. Hey, I'm not sure, so Ros says. I am in my early thirties and I have a great career in marketing and communications. I have a master's degree and fifty six thousand dollars salary. I live in the South, but I've always wanted to move to NYC. I had a chance to go when I was twenty four, but I chose to get married instead. Young and dumb her words online. I've been single for a few years now, and I have a great network of sorrow so I have such a hard time with this word sorrows sorority, sisters, okay, church and friends. However, I'm unhappy at my job, and NYC is in my heart. I see where this question is going. My savings account's tiny. She has about seventeen hundred dollars saved, and I know I don't have enough to live off of. I don't want to use my credit card, but I feel like I need to break free. So what's our advice on quitting my job, quit trying to move to NYC, and fulfilling a lifelong dream or should I stay in the South at a job i'm no longer happy with.
Speaker 2: I will look here. Roo don't come to NYC with no seventeen dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do it, because then it will be just like living. You have a great job, but you'll have a terrible life. And you're in your early thirties. You have a higher standard than you did when you were twenty ten. Yes, listen, when I moved here, I could sleep on a mattress with no bedframes. I was fine with that, you know, living with three roommates whatever. I have standards. Nows are expensive.
Speaker 2: Yes, true, There's so many things that I put up with in my twenties and I was like, this is fun. Hey girl, you're in the bathroom, Okay, I'll wait in the line of four women behind you, as I paid five hundred dollars a month in rent. But yeah, I would say that. I'm not saying I don't think it doesn't have to be black or white, right, she doesn't have to give up her dream. I just think you have to strategically plan for it.
Speaker 1: And I think the I think the first thing you gotta do is find a different job. Yeah, and whether that job's in New York or just maybe just a different city outside of where you live in the same I mean, I don't think. I don't think New York City is the end all be all. Maybe it is in certain career. She said, she's in marketing communitas. There's certainly tons of jobs. It's a huge market for that sort of career. For sure, it would make sense realistically for you to want to move to New York because there's so many opportunities here. You can probably make way more than what you're making now because the cost of living is so much higher. I have a lot of friends who are in marketing in comms and they make like twice that salary and they graduated it seems like around the same time you did. So maybe you could find a similar you know, costs a similar salary or equitable salary to what you're earning back in Atlanta. Or if she said, he just says down south, but uh, I would say, though, don't make New York City the end all be all because it's not. There's other cool cities too.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're bored, need to change. Yeah, you're single now, so like I feel like now is a great time for a change for real.
Speaker 2: So I'm not opposed to you moving, but I don't want you to move from what is it, out of the out of the fine pan, into the fire. I don't want you to move and struggle because nothing kills creativity like brokeness, especially brokeness in your thirties.
Speaker 1: And don't use your credit card.
Speaker 2: Yes and so so either one or two things. You can save up, save up at your job now, or you can look for a job at NUC and see if maybe you can, like Skype interview your way into the hearts and souls of the people in NYC and find something here. That way you can move with something solid. Or you can find a job maybe in the next biggest city that's located close to you, and don't give up in the New York City dream, but moving there just to get a change of pace, just to get a change of job, and then save, save, save for your eventual NYC move. So I just I think you can do it. But don't just pick up and go because it's New York is one of those places where it is very difficult to succeed because it's so expensive, you know, like I don't live in New York, like Mandy lives in New York. But girl, I'm in Jersey where the rent is reasonable in comparison to New York, and I myself would not move to New York. Not now. I don't make nearly enough and I make good money.
Speaker 1: I think what I would tell you to do, because if I know this person like I think I might, I think she has some friends up here, and I would say, spend some time with your friends in the city. Go up for a few days, you know, find out where they live, because chances are it's not on Park Avenue. Like I had some friends who have you know, when we were graduating college and they were like, Oh, I'm going to go be an editorial assistant and live on Park Avenue. And that's just not realistic. So get a realistic view of what New York is and visit and see if you still like it. Hey, come in February when it is the shittiest time of year and what mine is something degrees out. If you can still like it, then then.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, Or come on the hottest day when the when the garage baking on the streets.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to sound cynical, but no, it's not. You want to get the realistic. I just I would give this advice to anybody, whether you're twenty two or thirty two or forty two thinking about New York. Spend some time here with some real people in a real apartment, and you can totally get a job. I have tons of friends, including myself. I got a job living in Georgia and New York. It's doable. Yeah, start working your connections with your if you have contacts in the marketing field. Actually, one of my friends who worked in PR, her company, she worked for a pretty big firm, and they were okay with her transferring to their office in New York. But I feel like if it's the job that you hate and not just your whole career, that's easier to fix. You can find a different job in the same field. If it's your career that you hate, that's going to be a bigger challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so maybe switching because I remember when well, my best friend Drina, she was working in marketing and advertising, and so she thought it was the job she hated, but she realized it was the corporate environment. So she started her own PR firm. Which I'm not saying that you should just go ahead and start your own firm. But she had to figure out what was the thing that was bothering her before she could figure out the solution. And sometimes the only way to know is to switch the small movable pieces to see. Ow, it's this piece of my life that I'm not enjoying, you know, right.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like you're on an exciting little crossroads. Yeah, and don't say I mean we're I mean twenty four and got married. A lot of people make that decision. I'm at at least you had the wherewithal to get out of a bad relationship. It sounds like, and you're still young, exactly early thirties. You got plenty of time to start a new career, move to a new city, and you know, whether you meet someone or not, like you can still have the great life that you always wanted. It's not too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you are still young. Where I'm thirty five and I'm still young and snatched Tony.
Speaker 1: I might need to I might need to send us a question. I'm feeling the itch to like find a new city. Actually really, yeah, I'm feeling the itch this. I've lived in New York City longer than any other place since college. Yeah, I mean even before college, because I moved towns quite a bit when I was in high school and stuff. Yeah, and maybe it's just the fact that the wedding coming up. I'm like, where else would I live? But I can't imagine anywhere else honestly.
Speaker 2: Would the fiance be open to living in another city?
Speaker 1: We talk about it all the time. The West Coast, Okay, something like that, but who knows. I mean, I don't know. Barnamy just feels like damn when you're in your twenties and thirties, like this is the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now then when you know, it's weird because you know, I don't ever feel the itch to like move, I definitely. I always get the itch to travel, though, like I want to be away from here for a little while, but then I always miss home. I miss Dirty Jersey, Like people always get mad when I say that, but I'm like, it's a nickname that Redman gave us, Dirty Jersey. It's just like, you know, a hip hop name, Like I don't really mean although dirty Jersey, some parts of it definitely are dirty, but.
Speaker 1: It's like you're Hotlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, she because I remember I wrote I wrote it once in like on a Facebook post, like I was like, oh, you know, I was in India at the time. I was like, oh, India was great, but I missed Dirty Jersey. And this woman took such offense. She was like, Indy is dirty too. I'm like, really, I was just like when she was older. I was like, it's a hip hop term, miss lady, ma'am. I wasn't trying to insult the state, which which I just said I missed. It's not like I'm dismissed, but I don't mind. And then, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Have a problem with people who think that where they live is the best place, especially New Yorkers, who feel like New York is the only place that ever existed. Yeah, and they don't have any reason to leave. Why would I ever leave. I can get all the foods of the world, see all the people of the world. I'm like, yes, but it is not the only place that's ever been.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love work, I love travel.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, we digress, But all right, miss Rosie. It sounds like you're on the way to New York City. What'd you save up? So figure out? Is it your career you don't like or is it your job. How can you change that? And then you got to save. Maybe you should move out of your apartment if you have one. And I'm just I'm just making up facts about your life. Try and reduce your living try and reduce your living income. And if that's some more, she says right now, I didn't mention this, but she's saving only about seventy five dollars per month. I would find that's not going to get you very far in a year. So I'd find a way to really ramp that up. Yes, whatever you can do. If this, if New York means that much to you, then and then I would I would try and ramp that up, because you need Jesus Christ, like just moving into a place alone. New York City is the land of first month's rent, last month's rent, security deposit, and a broker fee.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, and you might honestly want to consider. I know, like you know, Jersey's not on your horizon, but like where I live in New Jersey, what I love about where I live is that I live literally right across the street, like a two minute, well three minute walk to like out my door across the street to the train station, which there is a train one stop. Usually sometimes it's too but usually I get the one stop train and it's twelve minutes to the city. So a lot of people who can't afford New York are definitely finding towns surrounding towns in New Jersey. Like my sister lives in Jersey City. She's got this cute little place, so she pays like nine hundred bucks a month for and the Path train is right there.
Speaker 1: Jersey City, Brooklyn, Queens.
Speaker 2: All the waters, so they're definitely. You know, you might think you're so oh, I want to live like a New York, but it might be cheaper and easier to find like a surrounding city and then live there before making the move. But I feel you. I always feel like this that go for your dream, but do so strategically.
Speaker 1: So I think that's any for questions.
Speaker 2: Any wins for the week?
Speaker 1: Let me do the email real quick. If you want to email us your questions, email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And if you want to tweet us, you can tweet us at the BA podcast and we are Brown Ambition on Facebook.
Speaker 1: The Book of Faces. Okay, now wins.
Speaker 2: All I do is when when when, No matter what see y'all thought I forgot how to sing. I didn't remember. This is random. Remember were you old enough to remember this? Mandy? That like that first black exportation like off off, off, off Broadway. Mama, I want to sing, Mama, I want to sing. Remember those commercials? Did you ever see this? Okay, some of y'all tweet.
Speaker 1: Bee, please on, I have to pause the presses.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I'm watching the Grammy's Red Carpet because it's Monday night when're recording. Vendaya has a mullet stop and I'm not sure why, and it's so clearly an extension. I'm really just and she's wearing a suit. I don't know what to make of it. Maybe well, maybe I'll wrap my head around it by next week's episode. But it was in Dire Girl. She's the kind of girl who you have to try really hard not to look good, like she had to really try, and she does not look good. Okay, I'm done. Your win, yes, your wing and.
Speaker 2: Go so my win? What is my win field? Oh? So, although this is a little like self settared, but whatever, I'm just really excited because this is really important to me. For those of you who know me and follow me in the brand is that I financial education really is something that I live by. I used to actually be a school teacher for ten years. So I met with this woman. Well, she's a friend of mine now. She took one of my classes. She ended up becoming an assembly woman of the thirty first District of New Jersey. And she hit me up not too long ago and said, you know, I'm assembly woman now and I really want to work on some legislation, so if you some good legislation, so if you have any ideas, let me know. And I was like, yes, I have always thought because in New Jersey, by law, they have to teach financial education in high school. That's a law that was created about maybe like five years ago, if not longer or shorter around that time. And I'm like, but to me, I taught preschool. Financial education is critical in elementary and middle schools as well. And so I told her I would love to have a law passed to say that, like, because kids need to learn about money as soon as possible. It should just be one of those things like reading, writing, financial education because it's just that critical for adults, you know, as they grow up to be adults. And she said, I agree, And so now we are currently working on a law that we're going to name the Budget needs to Law. How dope is that? That? To make it the law to teach financial education in elementary school and middle school in New Jersey and hopefully other states will follow, I know, right, And that's so crazy. Can you imagine having an actual budget needs to law?
Speaker 1: That would be so dope?
Speaker 2: I know, right. So I was like, wow, So we're working on it now, and we're like kind.
Speaker 1: Of give me attorney according to section two point five, but the budget needs to act at twenty sixty. Yeah, that is so insane. And so but what's what's next? How long we'll because things like this can take a while to go through your shore.
Speaker 2: So in the beginning, you just kind of like we sat down word a synopsis of like what I wanted the law to entail, and so they kind of present that synopsis and then they'll say, like, I guess to I don't, I guess it's the other Assembly people. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not. I'm going to learn a lot about about, you know, our government and how it works. But they basically present it and then they'll say, yes, this is not. What they'll do is they'll say that there's no law like this in existence, so yes, you can proceed forward to start really flushing it out. So we're just waiting for like the callback to say yes, there is no law like this in New Jersey, and then it really be up to me to flush out what I think the law should look like. And so I'm going to use the current law for high school as a template to say, yes, I want to basically do this but for younger kids. And and then at some point I'll have to go to Trenton and basically like speak and say this is why I feel this way, this is kind of my experience with that, and then there'll be a vote, and then that's when I kind of am going to put the pressure on people that follow me to hit up their assembly people to say, look, vote for the law. It's a good law because ultimately people in politics do what their constituents hopefully want them to do. And it's but it's an easy law. It's not like I'm asking to teach sex education. You know, it's to me, it's it's it's not a hard reach to say, hey, little kids should learn about basic personal financial stuff. So I'm just reallyed.
Speaker 1: Financial literacy can be quite polarizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm just I guess it depends on what it would look like. But yeah, so I'm just excited about it. I mean, either way, whether it passes or doesn't pass, it's just great to just be in a position to even be able to affect permanent change in my state.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Thank you. I'll make one of my wins you because that was awesome. And number two, when I got a split between two people or not people, two entities. One, I watched the movie called Dope over the weekend. It's on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Was it good?
Speaker 1: Excellent? I liked it a lot. I was debating with my two friends, including Miss Beyonce Hayter herself Jess last week, who of course doesn't like the movie Dope. Oh, she just hates liking anything anyway. So the movie Dope. It's about a young African American male living in I think Englewood, California, like the hood of California looks like. And I mean it's him and his two friends. One's a lesbian, the other one looks like he's Mexican. I forget exactly he doesn't really say, maybe Filipino and they're growing up in the hood and they're really smart. He starts out the movie by saying, we do white people stuff like go to college, do our homework, get straight a stuff like that, and of course they get picked on all the time, and it's just it's kind of like a kooky movie. He ends up with a backpack full of molly, which instead of taking to the cops, of course, he and his friends decide to sell it and get the money back to the drug And there's a love interest. Is Zoe Kravitz is in the movie. It's really it's a dope movie pun intended. I thought it was fun. I mean it's hour and a half if you want to watch something good on Netflix this weekend. And secondly, I have to call out SNL because they did the most amazing Beyonce Formation video this weekend, Like skit Did you see it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And it was so accurate to what happened when that formation video came met, like all the white people in America losing their ever loving mind when they realized that Beyonce is black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, Beyonce, it's black. That was everything.
Speaker 1: I love the part when Cecily Strong's character in that she's like in an office and she's like, but everything's usually for us when someone says, maybe this isn't for us, and it's so not. And this also goes to like there was an article on the Huffington Post written by a white woman who basically says the same thing, like this music video is not for us, So step back back and let the people it's for being young African American women, especially in ment to like, let it be for them and let them enjoy it. And and yeah, Beyonce is black. Yeah, yeah she is.
Speaker 2: Yeah she's allowed to met that on record. No, that was definitely was like was she black?
Speaker 1: And jump and jumping?
Speaker 2: They're like, I heard that Carry Washington is black too. They were like, No, that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's true. There's these certain black celebrities that like mainstream media like to likes to like take as their own. And I think that's why Beyonce's video meant so much so many people, without going on too much about it again, was just the fact that she really was saying no, from the beginning, I've been yours, you know, I've been I've been that of my family of my roots. I know where I came from. I'm not I have not forgotten, and it was it was funny.
Speaker 2: SNL is the best, yes, well not the best, but it definitely represented in this moment in time.
Speaker 1: Hey, their cats has gotten a lot more diverse now. They had four black people in that skip for not a whole They brought Michael j back out from behind the desk. Although they still have it still bothers me too. You know Keenan, who's a hilarious Keenan Thompson, still plays the Latino whenever they do stuff. Who was he this week? I forgot he plays? He plays David O'tonan. Is that a real person? No, that's that's Jennifer Hudson's husband, who's the big poppy that baseball player. I don't know anyway, he plays a Dominican baseball player. And Keenan, I know he's black and Dominicans canna be black, but he's the Latino. Yes, they need to have some Latino talent.
Speaker 2: There's gotta be somebody finding whos Latino?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, So anyway, okay, fine, SNL one for this weekend, but they're still on probation.
Speaker 2: Yes they are all right, Well, that wraps up the wraps up the Brown Ambishop podcast for this week. We hope you enjoyed. I know a lot of you were fired up from our last podcast with our Beyonce talk. Hopefully you guys have a calm down with some sage water and some some some I don't know, yes, some hot.
Speaker 1: Red loves to get some cheddar baby biscuits.
Speaker 2: Yes, honey, you will be all right during the next Tuesday because you know we're always here on Tuesdays. And stay warm if you are in a cold place.
Speaker 1: All right, Bye, bye bye,