Speaker 1: Welcome into the game plan logan our last game of the regular season and it's against the Cowboys. We catch up with hit coach Dan Quinn and talk about today's matchup.
Speaker 2: And you know how we in the show. It's the must watch matchups.
Speaker 1: We in the show with that against the Dallas Cowboys, all that walks on the game plan.
Speaker 2: Welcome you in.
Speaker 1: Head coach Dan Quinn. Clinched the playoffs. That's something some people never get to do. You did it in your first year. How great does that feel? And what does that say about what this team's doing this year?
Speaker 3: Well, this is a fun team to coach, and they are tough. They battle for it in a lot of ways. And in this game, I thought, what a great demonstration of brotherhood of guys stepping into spaces to make plays.
Speaker 2: We knew this would be a hard game.
Speaker 3: We knew Atlanta was absolutely back to the wall going for it, and so we were going to have a five quarter mindset going into it, and sure enough, it went into that extra session. Sometimes we just say that, but this we meant it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you've you've done it a couple of times in it was Seattle Atlanta. What are some similarities with those teams, maybe in this one that kind of say, hey, this team or the structure of this team is built the right way.
Speaker 3: For me being along the journey with everybody and to see the leaders lead and have high standards logan about how you practice, how you meet, how you do walkthroughs, and those things matter, man. They carry over into the games and knowing that they're willing to make the sacrifices that's needed to play well and teammate to teammate. You've seen that what it looks like, what it feels like. And so there's a lot of players on this team that sacrifice a lot knowing that they're willing to give it up for one another.
Speaker 1: And coach, we talk a lot about those winning time moments. Yes, so you're heading into overtime at home, what is your message to these guys to get their mindset right for that overtime drab.
Speaker 3: You know, going out when you're in overtime, obviously you want the ball. So we're going to take that first. If you get a chance to go and score, and that's the game. So we're going to be pretty aggressive into that spot if we had our chances to be and I thought jaden Man in that drive alone was just on it and like all the way down the field and we took a time out at the end, I could see him and Marcus talking their communication together and an absolute rip to Zach. So those winning time moments we practice him a lot, knowing that you know what could happen, what's the scenario, what's the situation, and being comfortable in those spots that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: And so again you probably practiced two minutes quite a bit third down, you know he's second and long. But how much do you talk about or practice overtime scenario because I was thinking back to when I played, and I don't know if we we talked about I don't if we did it that much.
Speaker 3: We did it two weeks ago going into Philadelphia, and we did an overtime as part of our two minute at the end to say this isn't fast. You know, this is irregular because in the overtime ten minute period, there's a two minute that would come up at the end, just like a quarter, you get two time out. There's no challenge for me, only from the booth. So going through those will be good and in a few weeks will adjust those guidelines for what it means in the playoffs, because it's not the same regulations in the regular season as is in the postseason. So we'll wait till then until we discuss those. But yeah, we stay on a pretty regular case.
Speaker 2: That fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's we just want the guys feel comfortable in those spots and.
Speaker 1: Culture as we turn the page to today's game. Dallas a tough place to play, as you know, what is the biggest key to finding success here in Dallas?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a It is a tough environment. The fans are fantastic in Dallas. They long time tradition, you know, there with the team, So it can get loud, and that if you can handle the noise, you know, that's then it's an even playing field. And so that's usually the trick when you play at a stadium that can get rocking to go, you gotta be able to handle the noise.
Speaker 4: And so much of that is probably predicated on being effective offensively and you're going to be quiet, right like? And how important is that going to be.
Speaker 3: In different snap counts and different cadence is and different silent counts. And the offensive line is really at the front of that, and they have their ways, different silent ways, and so.
Speaker 2: We'll work through that all through the week.
Speaker 3: Knowing that there'll be some times when you know, no cadence, no clap everything on socier and we'll need that. But like I said, the offensive line, quarterbacks, everybody, we have our ways and we do that sometimes and walk through. There is no verbal communication, you know on these next you know plays, and so we try to make it loud at practice, but nothing can simulate, you know, an in game environment.
Speaker 4: So when I was with you in Atlanta, you guys did something and I always credit it to Matt Ryan, but maybe it's yours where he would whisper for walkthrough, So yes, he'd whisper the cadence, he'd whisper the snapcount. Is that is that something you've brought from him? Or who gave you that? Greg nap Yeah, Greg nap Man.
Speaker 3: And so make the people listen, make them engage to pay attention. And you can see it on TV at a stadium when everybody is putting their helmet into the huddle, not this way, but really trying to dig in and listen. And I don't know if there's one, you know stadium this ticks out one to another for you where you had to put your help and those are ones that you have to be ready for that and Dallas is one of those spots.
Speaker 1: It seems like every week we watch our defense and they continue to improve. Big, big moments are happening. Qualm Martin's an interception to start the game was huge. How can our defense continue to approve today?
Speaker 2: Against Dallas?
Speaker 3: We thought, you know, getting a fast start would be a big deal for us, and so they decided to take the ball talking about Atlanta to you know, on the opening drive and so to get the interception early and then go get a touchdown, we call that making them pay. You know, here's the takeaway and then you go get you know, the touchdown and get points off of it.
Speaker 2: So that was an important start for us.
Speaker 3: That's starting fast, and anytime you can get that kind of momentum going early, that's a big deal for your team.
Speaker 4: And so not easy to get the interception, but you had two sacks, which again, like I think they're really cool plays because the coverage is supporting the rush and the rush is kind of coming to life. How do you kind of build off some of that stuff that the guys did well.
Speaker 3: I love the use of the stunts and game. And two of the sacks caused fumbles and we didn't get the ball. And so I love when we hit it in a sack because anytime you knock the ball out, that is a sack. And so both Dante and Dornce both got it, and so we got to make sure that you can, you know, finish that play with getting the ball out, but having rushers, you know, when the space is there, beat Chip plans do things. We'll need you be at our best again, you know at Dallas and.
Speaker 2: Coach you got Jonathan Allen back.
Speaker 1: And on pregame, our pregame show, we have the camera on the field and we see this big scrum, this breakdown, and in the middle of it is Jonathan Allen getting the boys right.
Speaker 2: His first game back. How important is it to have him back and how did he help this team?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's honestly, it's great to have him back because you're adding another player with that type of style and attitude that he can bring to the team. And so we had a certain you know, amount of snaps that you know, we allotted him to play in this game. As he's on his way back and we'll do, you know, a little bit more as we're going into Dallas. But just having his presence back and his strength back, Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think it kind of allowed you to use some guys in some different ways. You know, Praying gets to play defensive end, Holmes comes in, plays in and just some different packages. And I'm sure that flexibility is helpful, right, And I think his presence helps out helps him.
Speaker 3: It does because it does allow you to mix and match when you want to load up on the run or change it up into a certain group to pass. And so having him back, you know, because he got injured against Baltimore, so it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: So to get him back in the in the rhythm. Man, he's he's really worked.
Speaker 1: Hard and Coach, We've talked to other players and they've said that his presence was still felt even when he wasn't around. How impressed were you by John than because you know, this is your first time getting to work with him, seeing him and how he handled being injured.
Speaker 2: And still stay so involved with this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a very good demeanor throughout and oftentimes when you're injured there's a really high and low emotional you know cost that goes with that.
Speaker 2: You know, you feel detached.
Speaker 3: From the team when you're not playing, and so the fact that there was a hook at the end to say you can come back, that was a big deal because oftentimes that injury can be season ending and that's sometimes the hardest one for a ball players would know as a teammate er, this season's done. You don't get to come back. And he had a sense that this was a crew that you know, had a lot to play for, and so having that hook out there to say, if you hit all these markers, you know, then you got a shot to come do it, and man, he hit them all and then some.
Speaker 1: And coach Logan touched on how our defensive guys have all been ready to that next man up mentality, but on the offense we see the same thing. C rot all the media guys are stepping up. As a coach, how do you keep these guys ready and prepared.
Speaker 2: For when the numbers called?
Speaker 3: You know, we have one standard and so if Logan was a tight end, it's not just the three guys that are up, you know, Cole Turner also has to be ready and so everybody in that room has the responsibility ready. You just don't know when your numbers called. So whether that's a running back at offensive line, it's not just the forty eight that are playing. We have a seventy man roster, including all the practice squad, and so every one of those seventy if called upon, they have to be ready to deliver. So they get reps at practice, they're quizzed in the same way. So there's no red shirting here. You've got to be ready. Not to say everybody plays, but you do have to be ready.
Speaker 4: Is there anybody that surprised you with how they've been able to stay ready because it's tough.
Speaker 3: It's really hard. And Chris Rodriguez comes to mind where he started off, you know, practice squad, not a lot of reps to go, so he would be one that absolutely jumps out to me. On the defensive side, I would say Michael Walker, although he hasn't played a lot, he's done a lot on teams. He practices, he's got command, he can make the calls to go. That would be another one. So Carl Davis thought, and you know, three turns for him to come up off the practice squad played square and strong, and so there's a number of players that you know, when called upon, they're really ready to deliver. And it's a big responsibility. And so I don't view our team as a team and then a practice squad.
Speaker 2: It's just one roster.
Speaker 3: I don't differentiate that some are just inactive for the games.
Speaker 1: And I think one thing that's probably surprised a lot of people was the strength of zach Ertz and what he's been able to do this he's especially how he's finished this season. What are you seeing from him that we don't see on the field, in the locker rooms, in the weight rooms. What is the work he's doing to be able to still play at such a high level.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: He's been a man on a mission for the whole time, and last season didn't go well for him. Wasn't sure where his career was even going to go and would he be able to play still, And so coming here took a leap of faith and Adam and myself, but he also really put the work in. We knew he was a good route runner, and would he have a role in the red zone and on third down? And he did, and then some and built it more into the offense and more, and he's got great standards about him. He's been an excellent teammate to these other tight ends to the quarterback, and so he is really taken advantage of this op and really made an impact on our team.
Speaker 4: But you can tell that with how he runs routes and his preparation all that stuff. But the thing that surprised me in the game was, I don't think you had fifty six yards in him still like like that. So it's great to see him kind of make that happen, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we uh, we give him a little, you know while, but his presence is felt. He's got honestly command like you logan, really like he can think like a quarterback. Why is my split here? What if I was out here? He can see the game from the view of his helmet differently, and not everybody can do that, but he can. He has a wide vision, man, He sees a lot and he's able to articulate it be in the right spots.
Speaker 2: Very quarterback friendly, very.
Speaker 1: Quarterback friendly coast is crazy to say this, but we are at our regular season finale, lesson with a season, what has been your message to the guys to finish out this season strong before the playoffs.
Speaker 3: We fight the matters on man all one day.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get it.
Speaker 2: I feel love it. I love the vestage. I need it every time you try to sneak that one into real. So what about this week, Coach.
Speaker 3: Let's just you know, roll the ball out there and see what happened. We got we left a lot uh on the field, we thought in our last game, and so we feel like we got a number of things for us to work on. And if we play like we're capable of, then anybody anywhere, anytime. But we got to work to do to be able to you know, play like we're capable that nobody has to put the kpe on. But we got to do what we do collectively really well.
Speaker 1: Coach, a huge game today. Can't wait to see you guys play. But before we do that, you and Logan got to get in that field. We'll appreciate your coach, all right, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Commanded family, We know you are enjoying the game plan.
Speaker 1: However, if you want to see Coach and Logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page.
Speaker 2: Logan is always our ticket to a win. Are these must watch masters?
Speaker 1: And you only got like thirty seconds, So I'm gonna give.
Speaker 2: You one, brother. It's the very first one right here. Yeah. I love this.
Speaker 4: Michael Parsons versus the offensive line, And to me, this is maybe the thing that makes the game when you look at the first match of this guy, obviously defensive Player of the Year caliber player, but they moved him all around the front. He played in and he played tackle, play knows and everybody had to kind of find a way in a one on one matchup to deal with him. Can Cliff, can they work on a technique scheme to manage a sky because if they can, it's gonna help Jane Daniel stay upright and deliver that football down the field.
Speaker 1: All oys will be on Mark Michael Parson's and this matchup for the last time of the regular season for head coach Dan Quinn, Logan, Paulson, Brian cople Jr.
Speaker 2: This is the game plan.
Speaker 1: Let's get this win today over the Dallas Cowboys. Commanders Famy, you could catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before your games. This is game plan with Brian Coble, junior Logan Paulson, IT coach Dan Quinn till next Sunday.
Speaker 2: Comanda's family. Yeah, m