Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nolan.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We are joined as always with our super producer Andrew Treyforce Howard. Most importantly, you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. This is one of the best times of the week for us. It's our favorite evening where we get to hear from the best part of the show, you, specifically you, fellow conspiracy realist. Now we're going to look at three Mile Island. We're going to talk about gardening and adderall and how the dead live on within us. But before we do that, a lot of folks have been asking us, you guys about recent calamities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've experienced several personally, and I don't know, have you guys noticed there are people out here, maybe listening to this episode who are actually concerned with our safety, and that feels really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely nice to be checked in on. Heard from a couple of folks on Instagram. Been getting emails about it, all three of us, and we hear you, and we appreciate your concern, and it was well placed concern, as it turns out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so we're going to pause for a second and we'll come back and update everybody on the recent calamities as we dive in. All right, folks, we're back. As you may have heard, Hurricane Helene walloped the absolute bulldog nuts out of the southeastern United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, knocks the boiled peanuts right out of our.
Speaker 3: Hands, right, And a lot of people in the affected areas are way worse off than us. Entire communities in the Carolinas have disappeared, and our own Noll Brown has experienced disaster as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, again, shout out in our hearts, go out to folks from the Ashville area. The places, I believe the town of Chimney Rock, a lovely little tourist destination near Ashville, more or less wiped off the map. And many folks in Ashville are still underwater, without power, without potable water. People are using like water out of pools to flush their toilets and stuff. You know, when you when you see the reporting on this kind of thing coming your way, you know. I mean, you try to think, pause, you do what you can, but you know, at the end of the day, it's like an act of God. And we were very lucky here in Atlanta. I know about you guys, but I just got some minor basement water intrusion. I mean, it was just we were pummeled with rain to the point where any roof is gonna be overwhelmed and leak. And I gratefully had my gutters cleaned pretty recently. So here at my house in Atlanta, it wasn't so bad. But the Augusta, Georgia area, where I grew up and where I also own a house that I inherited from my mom when she passed away a couple of years ago, absolutely obliterated by multiple trees. I had been renting this home to a dear family friend. My mom was a singer, an opera singer, and taught voice lessons kind of in the last years of her life, and a person who is for all intos and purposes like a sister to me, was one of my mom's best in favor of voice students. A real close, basically family member, she escaped with her life and the life of her two cats. Thankfully had to climb out a window. Even told me she in a weird way, feels like my mom woke her up twenty minutes before the trees impacted the house at around five thirty am over the weekend. And yeah, there's there's multiple trees inside of the house. And part of the benefit of renting to this friend she was she loved my mom, and my mom had a lot of weird stuff, opera memorabilia and the like, and grand piano and all that, and so a lot of that stuff was able to stay in the house. It's now open to the elements. I've you know, applied for disaster relief and clean up through Crisis Cleanup dot org. And there's just so many trees down in the Augusta area. I'm not sure when they're going to get to my house.
Speaker 3: So yeah, got some family in Appalachia still without running water or power. Luckily they have prepared in advanced The bridge is right. There was a lot of flooding. Matt, how are things going in your neck of the Global Woods?
Speaker 2: Feeling relatively untouched up here. Most of my neighbors and I didn't sleep all of my friends I was in contact with. We know, none of us slept because it looked like it was going to be horrific, and it turns out it was just not for us. In particular. This storm killed well over one hundred people. I think one hundred and nineteen was the last estimate I saw from CNN.
Speaker 3: Most recent one. Yeah, likely to rise, yeah, yeah, I think of the people who are disappeared currctly, oh yeah, or.
Speaker 4: You know, fallout from lack of resources, you know, lack of hospital, lack of being able to be reached, lack of medication for elderly folks.
Speaker 5: I mean, this number is going to rise.
Speaker 2: The effects of the storm are going to continue on for weeks, if not months from now, and it's just horrifying. Yeah, it's really horrifying.
Speaker 3: And then to add to that, there was a massive leak of chlorine gas as we record here in the fine metropolis of Atlanta, Georgia. Over in Conyers, just a little bit east as the crow flies, a place called Biolap which is notoriously slap dash in their infrastructure. As a result of flooding to the point about knock on effects, their compound was compromised and there is currently a huge flume of chlorine gas moving through the city.
Speaker 4: And you know, we all initially saw the story. I think we attributed it to some kind of negligence, which is definitely not off the table. But this was also in some ways flooding related, right, Like it was like a building that had massive standing water on the roof and it fell through and reacted with the chlorine, which is if I think, if anyone knows when you write chlorine and water, no, I mean, is that all it takes for it to create chlorine gas?
Speaker 3: You need something else, right, Chlorine gas is incredibly dangerous in an enclosed environment. It does dissipate fairly readily in an open air environment. However, as we were talking about earlier in our group chat, the effects appear to be pretty widespread in the metro area. Noel, you were saying earlier, you walked outside, you saw the haze, your nose started burning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean here in thirty miles away, he said, to the east. But as we know, with things like Chernobyl and three Mile Island, which we're going to get to, that fallout, it travels with the winds.
Speaker 5: And I think we.
Speaker 4: All walked outside to a weird mist like haze, and Matt, you're up a little closer to well, I guess you used to being. Maybe you're in a different direction now, but an area called Buford Highway or Lawrenceville. I saw videos from there where it was just literally like the mists, like the Stephen King story, just absolutely this very weird, sickly kind of haze.
Speaker 5: I don't know, did you experience that.
Speaker 4: I think maybe a little more densely than we did here in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm significantly northeast of you guys in the city, and I'm you know, that's where the wind was blowing. So my son's school sent out a big notice that they were keeping all the kids inside and they were canceling, you know, a bunch of activities outside and everything like that. And if you look out, yep, you get that haze and you take a whiff. Didn't hurt my lungs or anything like that, but you your body knows you shouldn't be breathing whatever.
Speaker 5: This is Spidey sense.
Speaker 3: And again we are saying this to keep everyone informed, and we are immensely grateful for everybody who checked in. Our primary point here is that there are other people who are much more adversely affected, So please do check in on your friends and relatives in the area. Please do also consider if you have the means and inclination helping out if you can, And every little bit matters, you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be a social media post, it doesn't have to be a gofund me. When people need help, they are often frightened to ask for it, and it is a tremendous good to contribute to some organization.
Speaker 4: And I'm really lucky that I have really dear friends near my mom's house that are checking in on it for you. But they literally can't get to it yet, and it's not safe to go in the house. Power is out in Augusta and then they can't drink the water is not flowing because of damage to the pumps.
Speaker 5: But back to the chlorine thing. I just wanted to mention too.
Speaker 4: We all three got I think the same public safety alert that reads. Interestingly, Georgia Emergency Management Agents the Homeland Security Agency on behalf of the Environmental Protection Division Local Area Emergency Local Area Emergency due to Rockdale County biolab fire. The EPA is monitoring air quality for chlorine and related compounds. Chemical levels are unlikely to cause harm to most people.
Speaker 3: Right, and make sure make sure to check that out, folks, so you can study the gratuitous use of capital letters in that text message right, most people is in capital letters, just to say again the focus is on the other people who have been more versely affected. We are here, We appreciate you. Please, please please help our community. Don't worry about us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and keep your ear to the ground because in both of these instances, if you look at Biolab, the company that's responsible for the fire here in Rockdale County slash Conyers Slash east of Atlanta, you can look back at the history of this company and see that there have been very similar spills, slash fires, slash basically toxic chemicals that have been released in mass from this group and from this facility many times. Exactly twenty years ago, there was a very similar fire that's been written about in a lot of places, at least Atlanta publications and several other that are not so local. This is a quote from Rockdale County Fire Chief Marion McDonald. This person said, I've been with a county for seven years and this is probably the third event of this magnitude that that person is aware of, and the other thing to keep in mind. There are currently three tropical storm cyclones that are forming in the Atlantic right now, with around a forty percent chance at least estimated right now to the best of what I've been seeing, of forming another storm, if not more than one storm that rolls back through that same area of the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: As we record on the evening of September thirtieth, twenty twenty four. So again, we want to check in. I love that you say, keep your ear to the ground. Help us be informed as well, folks, because a lot of things are not quite making the news, and you know it's it's a sticky subject, right The idea of when it rains, it pours does apply here. We are safe. We hope you are safe as well. We wanted to spend this time with you at the very top and thank you for your time checking in with us. Do you guys, before we go to an ad break, I know we're running along. Do you want to hear a Do you want to hear a weird message about dead people?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, yess, this is why we hang out right, So our returning guest. A frame is weighing in.
Speaker 6: Hey, dude, it's a frame. Now. I was listening to an older Strange News episode and you mentioned as a way to make people uncomfortable the thought of them having someone else's teeth within their mouth. So because you did that to me, I'm reminding you that you should think about having someone else's teeth in place of your teeth. Great to think about. But on a different note, I had a knee surgery in twenty nineteen eight. It's starting to hurt again and in a few years I'll probably need a new replacement. But anyways, when that happened, they added a cadaver ligament that runs from my kneecap to my femur and normally there's not an extra ligament there, and it was taken from either an mcl ACL or LCL other like similar knee ligament from a cadaver. And he even got a little card being like, you're the benefactor of organ donation, Maybe think about saying yes at the D and D, which I always have, but food for thought that it is genuinely helpful to be an organ donor. It's not all livers and kidneys and stuff. It's also things.
Speaker 7: Like ligaments for people who wouldn't really really be able to walk without it, and it's one.
Speaker 6: Of those things that has helped me avoid having a similar knee injury. Ever, in that time, I do have some pain from other.
Speaker 7: Parts of the surgery, but the dead guy parts doing fine. And a lot of times when I say I have a dead guy's ligament in my knee, it makes some people uncomfortable, and other people are like, hell yeah, it's like either one of the two who.
Speaker 3: They're like, Oh, They're like, oh yeah, we're.
Speaker 7: At dead guy and you, like, you know, at.
Speaker 3: A frame at all. I guess we should say, because you have a dead man inside you, a frame and company, thank you so much. That is an important point and rem finds me Guys of our earlier conversations about organ donation. Remember, we're talking about how strange it is that most people in a country will be organ donors if they have to opt out of organ donation, but most people in a country or a great percentage of the population will not be organ donors if they have to opt in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, if you're hearing this in the future and you've got my ligaments in you you're welcome. Yeah, yeah, this is your ligament talking.
Speaker 3: You're welcome and sorry for the kidney.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I always think about like a lot of Japanese horror around possessed people possessed by Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big thing. Religion is a religion is a huge factor in a law of Oregon donation.
Speaker 2: How about this, if any of us end up in somebody else, let's see if we can come up with some kind of message that we get the person's body that we're inside now to like communicate to the other two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the word is jed June at least that's what I got the last two times. Okay, j E j u n e.
Speaker 2: All right, got it?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 3: I mean, this is this is a great idea, Matt. I really I really love that you're pointing this out because there is a non zero chance that if you are alive now, when you pass away, you may be or parts of you may be in a real ship of thesis situation. And the question is are you married to this idea your body? Do you want to help other people? Is there an article Like a body is a set of clothing, right, so is there an article of your clothing that you would not want to part with you. Guys. Remember when I tried to donate an eye or a cornea as a as a living, non accident victim and they wouldn't let me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're weird, Ben and I love it.
Speaker 5: It's both of you.
Speaker 3: It's not a great eye. I'm not giving them a good one.
Speaker 2: You never give them that good one.
Speaker 3: I've given them like the nineteen eighty four Toyota Corolla version of a cornea. You know what I mean? Like it works?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, does it drive?
Speaker 3: Let's go all the speaking of going. Folks, please write into us with your stories, your opinions on organ donation. We know it is a very sticky subject. It also makes a great deal of difference to a lot of people. And without sounding to Nosferatu, right now, as we record, going back to recent calamities, the humans need blood. There is a definite need for plasma across the southeastern United States in wake of the current disasters. So we're going to pause for a word from our sponsors and we'll be back with more messages from you.
Speaker 4: And we're back with a pretty sobering and heavy message from a listener. I'm going to leave their name out of it. They didn't say one way or the other. But it is a very personal story that they gave us permission to share. But you know, with things like the opioid epidemic and just so much rampant addiction in this country, and now of course deaths resulting from adulterated drugs and pills that are pressed to look like a certain ruption, opioids that are laced with fentanyl, and all of that. I mean, addiction is just a real problem in this country. And I don't think that's a hot take, But I wanted to read this because it is the perspective of someone who's really been through it, and someone who has a sense from their own life as to maybe where the origins of their kind, of their brains craving for something else, something extra, came from.
Speaker 5: I don't know, let's just get into it. My name is X.
Speaker 4: I am thirty years old and now live in a very small Colorado town called what's redacted where in the late eighteen well, I'm not going to redact because this is interesting.
Speaker 5: Called Lake City?
Speaker 2: Is that Lake City?
Speaker 4: Quiet pills, guys, Lake City, Colorado? Where was Lake City in that story? Was that Colorado comment fair enough. Well, anyway, there's another association with Lake City. This Lake City in Colorado where in the late eighteen hundreds a man named Alfred Pac allegedly eight some people. I want to look into that further, but that's a discussion for another day. I have been severely addicted to opiates and other drugs for my entire adult life. Very early in my addiction I contracted hepatitis C and I am now dying of liver cancer as a result.
Speaker 5: I have been to.
Speaker 4: Prison for the possession of heroin. I left there with PTSD and an addiction to a drug they put me on called Gaba pentin, which is in the class of drug called Gabba pentenoids, of which Lyrica is one.
Speaker 2: That is the drug that is often given to cats to calm them down.
Speaker 5: That's right, yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It is a supposedly it's a non opioid drug with opioid like properties, is my understanding. Lyrica A is one that you may have heard of. Continuing, I was forced by my public school as a small child to take dextro amphetamine salt adderall or I would not be allowed to return to school. I have been told by addiction specialists that the effect of amphetamines on my developing mind is the reason I have.
Speaker 5: Such an addictive personality.
Speaker 4: The point of this email is I do not have much time left in this world, and it is my dream to share my story in the.
Speaker 5: Hopes that I could help someone.
Speaker 4: I have been to six very different types of drug rehabilitation facilities, and for whatever reason, was never able to gain anything from these places. But I have met many addicts of all different types. I have watched friends overdose and die, and I have found friends dead after days. I was in a very cultish Christian rehab called Victory Outreach, where I saw people try to pray away a friend's seizures brought on by alcohol withdrawal. That friend had a seizure, fell and broke his neck on a toilet and died later the very same day. I'm not sure how my story fits into your podcasts, but I very much would like to share my story in some way and was hoping that in some way you all could possibly help. Thank you guys very much for what you do. I know this hits me really hard directly. I grew up in a town in the midst of the opioid epidemic where there was a lot of OxyContin and those kinds of things just rolling around on the streets and people were selling their prescriptions. It was just an absolute epidemic in my hometown. It was very, very, very serious. And I also had a lot of friends who succumbs to addiction and ultimately died from various things. You know, as we've talked about, a lot of people would get addicted to OxyContin and things like that, and then when it became less available because of changes in regulation, they just pivoted directly to heroin. It's a very common story and it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 5: I don't know, guys.
Speaker 4: Back to the I guess the crux of this email, which is the notion that prescribing young people such a powerful drug as it's called amphetamine salts guys. It says it on the on the bottle. How can it not have a significant impact on the developing brain of a young child and leads to a situation where that brain is just used to being overclocked, for lack of a better term, in some way.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's a tough thing because it's prescribed to those kids. Because their bodies react differently to those drugs, those stimulant drugs than other people's bodies. Right, there's a calming effect rather than an upper effect.
Speaker 5: That is what they say.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I mean that is I know theoretically why right.
Speaker 5: But you cannot deny that.
Speaker 4: Whatever the effect is, it's the same drug and your brain gets used to it, and it's not something that you usually take for your whole life. And I just have to wonder when a young person decides they're not going to take that anymore or taper off of it, if that leaves sort of like a want in their brain for other stuff that they then seek out.
Speaker 3: Agreed. The idea that we're talking about here, heavy substances applied to developing brains is mission critical because the hellothellow humans. The development of a brain in the human body does You could call it rehearsal. It rehearses. There's a reason that your brain grows at a slower rate than your body. The neurons in your brain can form pathways just as you're outlining there, guys, And when you hit a human brain with these very heavy things, like we all some of us are old enough to recall when heavy psychoactives were applied to human brain in developmental stages, right, Like, there's a good question over when a human brain is done developing. And to your point, Noel, and with great affection, anonymous, it does seem that there are lasting consequences. You can inculcate addiction, you can inculcate pattern and behavior right with the dosing of heavy narcotics or heavy drugs in a developing human brain. And it's something that a lot of people like to pretend is not true. But shout out to the kids who got dosed with zoloft in middle school. You know what I mean, that has a lasting effect.
Speaker 4: No, it makes perfect sense, you know. I mean, it's kind of intuitive to think that that how could such a powerful drug not have an impact? You know, and we know from things like the opioid epidemic brought on by the sacklers, the notion that these companies we'll say things like this is not addictive or it's totally fine. It's like we've we've learned through patterns of this kind of stuff that that's not always to be taken at face value, not to be all like, don't trust big pharma. Maybe now now maybe to be don't trust big pharma guys, because a lot of these these these studies are very self serving.
Speaker 5: The data can be manipulated in numerous ways. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there are very real and also fictional scenarios that end up in TV shows and movies where it's concepts of how is a company that's publicly traded, let's say, massive organization, how are they able to get narcotics in right, like the poppies that create heroin, to then create a drug that they can sell above board to patients rather than you know, to a user and.
Speaker 5: To children in this case you're selling it to their parents. But let's be honest.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was an absolute just rash of like Willy Nilly some prescriptions of Adderall.
Speaker 5: And Middland children in those days. It was everywhere. It was just like it was the thing you did, you know, to.
Speaker 3: The question about opiates, you could also ask the same thing about coca cocaine, like the remember the time we almost got kicked out a podcast movement or something because I was yelling name me one coca field right in the United States. We know that there is a supply chain. Look at the way it works. What you're outlining there, Matt reminds me quite a bit, to a disturbing degree of the old Catch twenty two with resurrection men in the United Kingdom back in the day. Right, it's illegal to get the body, but it is legal to use a body if you happen upon it. So it is illegal to It is illegal to propagate opium and other dangerous substances unless you get the right loopholes in place. And this does arguably, I think science will support this. This does arguably endanger people, especially when we're considering, like you know, talking earlier about the idea of opioids going through parts of the US like a natural disaster. It absolutely waxed a huge portion of the Midwest and the Appalachians.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and amphetamines the same.
Speaker 3: Right, hillbilly heroin amphetamines. The reason you can't buy certain truck or speed or certain cold relief things in bulk. There is a problem that could be addressed, and for some reason, who are we to say what that reason may be. For some reason, the people who could prevent this have chosen not to do so.
Speaker 4: Not only chosen not to do so, chosen to capitalize on it. To Matt's point, I mean, it's it does feel like and We've talked about this in Big Pharmat episodes and it's not even a particularly hot take, but it does feel like a legalized drug cartel distribution network.
Speaker 2: You can't be a pusher if you don't have users, and you got to foster those users and make sure they're hooked and need more of your product. And that doesn't matter, it doesn't matter what that product is. Got to have people hooked. And to that note, And if you're uncomfortable this, and we will just tell me, I'm genuinely asking. I want to know how did you get out of that world, that situation you were in where you had friends that were going through stuff that our anonymous writer was writing to us about. What was there something? So I know, how did you escape that? Because I didn't go through that when I was younger, I say.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a good question, and I mean, I'll be completely honest.
Speaker 5: I mean I was.
Speaker 4: I was swept up in that to a degree. I mean, I'm just going to be real, and I did escape it through a lot of things. I mean, ultimately I got out of that town. My life changed in many ways and I changed along with it.
Speaker 5: And but a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Just get stuck in these small towns and that's like all there is to do, and it's just an easy escape from malaise of life and just from like the boredom of living in a small town. And that's why the towns you're talking about, Ben in the Midwest were so horribly affected because it's just I don't know, I don't want to sound reductive, but there's just not much going on.
Speaker 3: And well that's the old the old troope, right, or the old truism that many of us have heard. Stuck in a small town. You have church, you have fans, or you have vices, right, and those can be self limiting factors.
Speaker 4: And the saddest thing too is, guys, a lot of these people that I know from those days, they didn't die then, they died many years later because of continued involvement with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Because of the evolution of addiction.
Speaker 4: You know, oxycoton went away, so a lot of these people replace that with another vice. A lot of these people would do anything they could to get their hands on, you know, other prescription pharmaceuticals or like I said, many people pivot to heroin. So an epidemic like this, like the death toll isn't immediately visible because this stuff follows people around. Our listener here is talking about being on their deathbed many many years later, after being incarcerated, you know, after being to multiple types of rehab facilities. This is a person coming to us at the end of their life, and they're not going to die from an overdose. They're they're likely going to pass away due to a resulting factor of I presume intervenous drug use. And this is many many years removed, of course, many decades removed from the adderall, you know, but like many many years removed from the initial like addiction to the opioids, you know. So it's a lot of the people that I know, some people that I know just died a handful of years ago, and I found out about it, that they overdosed, that they just were so malnourished and living horrible lives in terms of taking care of themselves.
Speaker 5: It's it's real, y'all. It's it's real.
Speaker 3: It is, it is real. There are you could say, conspiracies of foot beyond that. We do know that right now there are people whose lives can be saved.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting I heard recently on the radio that there is a bill at play or there's some something to do with public health where they are now. I don't know if it's past or whatever it is, but I think it's a good suggestion, the idea that if opioids are ever prescribed, then they also prescribed nar can like at the same time, so that you have that around, because a lot of this stuff is from kids taking their parents' medication and using it recreationally.
Speaker 5: So to be in that situation and.
Speaker 4: Then not have that life saving drug around, that's where the death comes from. I mean, again, I don't know the statistics of how what effect that might have, but it does seem like a pretty good idea to me.
Speaker 5: So anyway, thank you, and we do hope you're still with us.
Speaker 4: I know this was a bit of a downer one, but I think it's an important thing to talk about, and thank you guys for your perspectives on this as well. Let's take a quick break and hear from our sponsor, and then we'll come back with one more piece of.
Speaker 5: Listener noun.
Speaker 2: And we've returned and we are going to jump to the phone lines and hear a message from Silver.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, Silver, you can use this message in my name if you would like to.
Speaker 8: Just kind of a forty hour has water or tests. While I was in there, I saw an article about the restart of Three Mile Island, the giant nuclear plants that will have been cause some issues in Pennsylvania so many years ago. But I saw that they're going to restart one of the reactors, which is like thirty three hundred megawatts, and the sole purpose is the Constellation Energy is making a deal so that Microsoft can buy all the energy that that nuclear power plant produces to power their AI servers. Just an interesting article. I thought it might be something you guys might want to look into. If they were to react this facility, it would be the first one ever that's the Nuclear Regulatory Committee approved for coming out of off fall status. It's like a one point six billion dollar project at Microsoft, and I think Amazon zump in on it too, So they're they're looking to produce power again in like twenty twenty eight, I think.
Speaker 7: Which is not that far away to get. Obviously they're not going to do the one that blew up, but the other reactor's still good next to it.
Speaker 8: That would be pretty interesting. And it's all just for powering the AI.
Speaker 7: Servers and things like that.
Speaker 8: All right, well the show always listening to you, guys, so I'm going.
Speaker 4: Tight tie fascinating, right, We've been talking about the big brain on the grid from all this stuff. So there's part of me that's like, this isn't an awful idea.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, Thank you Silver exactly. Silver, You're awesome. Thank you so much for sending this our way.
Speaker 5: Uh so fascinating on so many levels.
Speaker 2: To be honest, guys, I saw a little blip about this passed through and I wanted to talk about it for Strange News, but I was like, I don't know, there's other stuff we got to talk about first, and Silver, you came in with the wind. So Silver, okay. So first thing we have to get through here is that Unit two bad, Unit one good plus. So Unit two is the reactor there at the three Mile Island facility in Middletown or Middleton maybe Pennsylvania. That occurred on March twenty eighth, nineteen seventy nine. That's when it was a partial meltdown, and it was very, very serious. It's the most serious accident in US commercial nuclear power plant operating history.
Speaker 3: Hey, partial though only a little gin up, guys, got's just a little meltdown, the whole meltdown.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, let's just credit where credit is due. Maybe is the wrong expression, but it wasn't like Chernobyl level. It was not like a an absolute fallout apocalyptic you know, drifting nuclear material situation.
Speaker 5: They contained it relatively.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, yeah, but unit too bad.
Speaker 5: You know one Still it's still pertly good. It's still good.
Speaker 3: It's still good double plus.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So when I when I saw this headline, Matt, I thought they were.
Speaker 4: Just like using the the facility, like repurposing it to make chips. I did not at all realize they were talking about relaunching a reactor. And like, this is also unprecedent, because have you ever heard of a private company having their own nuclear reactor?
Speaker 5: I mean, who do.
Speaker 3: You think builds them?
Speaker 5: Westinghouse?
Speaker 4: You know, but I'm talking about like these are giant energy companies. I don't know of any like manufacturing facility that has an on site nuke reactor.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're on the forefront.
Speaker 5: Of this file.
Speaker 2: It's happening now, and it's a bunch of companies that have massive data centers that are going to run their AI applications, whatever those are going to be. It is happening across the board right now.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll talk about a second one, but let's stay on just the tip, the news tip that Silver gave us there after.
Speaker 3: The test tip.
Speaker 5: Just theoling.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're jumping to a CNBC article from September twentieth titled Constellation Energy to restart a three Mile Island nuclear plant, sell the power to Microsoft for AI. Now it expects, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and several other journalists they have got access to what's going on over there, it is a deal between Constellation Energy and Microsoft primarily, and the company, Constellation Energy, expects Unit one reactor to be ready twenty twenty eight, just like Silver said, subject to approval, of course, by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission sure sure.
Speaker 3: And Constellation Energy owns three Mile.
Speaker 2: Yes, correct, correct, And they had to shutter it in twenty nineteen because it couldn't keep up with cheap natural gas all the energy that was being produced around the United States, and they're like, gosh, we can't, we can't make energy at that at that price point. So I guess we got to shut this thing down. And Microsoft said, hold on one second.
Speaker 3: Microsoft said, deer.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if it does get approved by the NRC and begins operations in twenty twenty eight, they plan to have a contract to run it until twenty fifty four. I think you.
Speaker 3: Have to you have to bake that kind of stuff in for the deal to work.
Speaker 4: M and long term leases on commercial property, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, bit, yeah, yes, And again we're talking this in mid September this month. We were at the end of the month as we're recording this on the thirtieth. But when this announcement came through, Constellation Energy stock jumped twenty two percent in the positive. So people are into it. They're saying, I got a customer. It's a built in customer. It's going to pay for all of the power for a long place. There's a place for it to go.
Speaker 3: Well S, Constellation is already a pretty big energy company. Oh, you have interest in natural gas, and they know the old jazz. They just want to get this nuclear jaloppy up and running.
Speaker 5: That's the question that Matt.
Speaker 4: I mean, since you said they shut it down because it wasn't efficient enough for actual contribution to the grid. Let's just say, for like, you know, constellations purposes of actually providing energy to its customers. Is this an interesting and reasonable use of it because it will also take some strain off of the grid from all this AI nonsense.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, think about it. If you could make spoke nuke plants for all of these companies trying to get their AI stuff off the ground.
Speaker 4: There are new small, quote unquote modular nuke reactors that are starting to be rolled out.
Speaker 2: And think about the government's interest. You guys are spinning. You need some stuff to get spun up. Hey, yeah, for if you're a reactor, we can use some of that.
Speaker 3: Guys. This is just for our artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Okay.
Speaker 5: I'm making those memes.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: This is literally for meme generation.
Speaker 3: It does answer, it does answer one of the great dilemmas which is on the horizon, which is how do we power these very thirsty machines, right, And the cleanest answer, obviously is going to be something like solar power, something like hydroelectric or geotherbal power. However, nuclear power is super tasty because all you need is well, you need a lot of yeah, but it is still cleaner than being dependent upon fossil fuels. That is, that is the great Achilles heel, right, just like the Achilles heel of so many podcasts is advertising. So if in that terrible example, the idea of powering, we saw this again with things like bitcoin mining, right, also very thirsty, very energy intensive. If you cannot create an easy solar power, hydroelectric or geothermal source, then nuclear energy is still theoretically way more bang for your buck. And I don't know if everybody is aware of just like the nuts and bolts of nuclear energy, it's making water steam and then turn turbine. I feel like people are afraid of the word until they know what it is.
Speaker 5: Well, they should be afraid of the word. Be the waste. That's this part of the problem, the equation that we haven't solved yet.
Speaker 4: They didn't bury it in the desert, Like there's no good way of dealing with nuclear waste.
Speaker 2: And if you're still using rods, they can still burn their way right through whatever it is you put below them.
Speaker 4: It does just what a meltdown is, yeah, right, it's when it melts.
Speaker 5: Down into the damn Earth.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm so excited about our future episode on how to warn other generations about nuclear waste.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about the next party we go to together. We're gonna have so much new material.
Speaker 2: Guys, nuclear material and so. Ben, when you were talking about how do we feed these thirsty machines, I really thought you were going to say, build a simulation of the year nineteen ninety nine in New York City, then build pods for human beings to grow up inside and fill those with some kind of goo, and then make sure all of those humans are batteries connected to your system.
Speaker 5: Wait, is this the plot of the movie that mate?
Speaker 3: Hey, spoilers come on. That's Matt's favorite film.
Speaker 2: It really is. So it's gonna cost one point six billion dollars just to get this reactor up and started and working again by twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they shut it down, But like, does that mean it's it's just it's falling into disrepair. They got to like do some referb to it or what.
Speaker 3: Very expensive to maintain? I mean just the it's not like this is the equivalent of not just finding a rusted out car that you know could be good. This is the equivalent of finding the rusted out hulk of a car or the chassis of a car and then say, eh, let me look at the engine.
Speaker 5: When was it taken offline?
Speaker 2: Again, Matt, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: But that's that's not that long ago that I don't understand this billions situation.
Speaker 2: Well there, Look, they they want a brand new nuclear power.
Speaker 5: They're gonna do it up.
Speaker 2: It's whether you want. Because Unit two so bad. Unit one has to be real, real good. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, But they're not going to build a new reactor. It takes I mean, we talked about this.
Speaker 3: It's still more expensive to build a new reaction. Oh yeah, was the crazy.
Speaker 5: Thing, that's right.
Speaker 4: We talked about like how long you know, so a southern company here in Georgia has been trying to finish an additional reactor at Plant Vogel for like ten years and it just got finished and so over budget and absolutely a nightmare is the regulatory process.
Speaker 5: It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: And here's a little stat from that CNBC article. Guys, just to keep us going down this track, they're investing all this money. Right, The stock for Constellation Energy went way up. Goldman sacks.
Speaker 4: You know them, you know them, I love them, you have feelings about them.
Speaker 2: I'd say that in my head every time now every time. Thank you for that, Ben, It's good. Data centers consume an estimated three percent of all US electricity demand this year as we're recording this, and Goldman Sachs says that number is going to be closer to about eight percent, if not exceeding eight percent, by twenty thirty. And this thing comes online theoretically in twenty twenty eight, so it could be a huge, huge difference in the strain on the energy grid. As you guys were saying. But here's the biggest thing CNBC article. I'm going to continue on with you. Let's shout out Spencer Kimball you're the author of this, because I'm reading some of your words verbatim here. In March, Amazon Web Services bought a data center campus from Talent Energy that's going to be powered by the Susquehanna Susquehanna Nuclear Plant, which is also in Pennsylvania. It's apparently a first of its kind deal. Oracle, another company that's doing this very thing, said it's designing a new data center that's going to be powered by three separate small nuclear reactors. And there's another one, guys. The Palisades Nuclear Reactor in Michigan is going to be returning to service in twenty twenty five, and if this one is going to have multiple users, but again, data centers are going to be one of the primary things that it is fueling with that rod technology house hot rods. It's weird, guys, cool, weird, scary, awesome.
Speaker 3: It's up to future historians perhaps, and it's definitely up to current nuclear technicians to make sure we don't have another unit one yeah, ever, or god forbid another chernobyl.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about how paranoid the US government is, specifically about Chinese made vehicle components, software, and hardware, right we're talking about just you know, there's so much paranoia about the vulnerability of specifically water, electrical, and other utility services. Bringing a bunch of more nuclear rods into the situation just feels, I don't know, it feels scared. But maybe it just feels that way because we've seen some dangerous things happen, and generally humans or at least aware of previous mistakes.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of the the concord jet controversy, right, like remember when? Remember when? Yeah, yes, yeah, there was once upon a time commercial jet capability. It no longer exists because when this newer technology was rolled out in this manner, it only took one bad thing to sink it. Right. Think about how many commercial planes have a lot of whoopsie daisies right now, shout out Boeing, and they are embedded in current infrastructure. So the question with nuclear capability is can you keep things jugged lean along until you reach a moment when they are normalized? Right? What happens when? How do you reach that threshold? Oh, we love this phrase? How do you reach that inflection point? There we go where where it's weird to have a coal plant and it's normal to have a nuclear plant. The thing is he can't make a nuclear weapon with coal.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's true, guys. Quick correction. In the case of Palisades, the other nuclear reactor there in Michigan, data centers are not going to be one of the primary things. And I know this because Spencer wrote another article that I just found titled Michigan Nuclear Plant finalizes federal loan to support first reactor restart in US history. And he states here in the case of Palisades, that's the other reactor. The power is spoken for by Wolverine Power Cooperative or a co op, a nonprofit that provides electricity to rural communities in Michigan. So not data centers for now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's like when you hear a charity say it gives a portion of the proceeds, like how much of how much of that energy generated out of the pie slices? How much of that is going to rural michiganers in need?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, great if true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also like it does become the question of, like how do you feel about nuclear power in general? You know, because they still haven't licked the waste problem. There's literally a repository outside of Las Vegas, like Yucca Mountain. It's just like a bunch of this stuff buried in the desert. I'm not joking, and maybe everybody already knows that, but it's a thing like there's it doesn't go away, and it's very dangerous.
Speaker 2: I would say, never lick the waste problem. It's a waste problem. Don't lick it.
Speaker 5: Ben earlier said that nuclear energy was tasty.
Speaker 3: It's not what he meant. That's what I meant. There are there are species that are Okay, look, this is a little sci fi fish. It is possible to create as long as these pesky ethics get out of our way. It is possible to create certain forms of life that could indeed feed off things considered unusable waste. We already see it with extremophiles, right.
Speaker 4: Like the glowing ghules in the Fallout.
Speaker 3: Just so hopefully a smaller life form with fewer hit points.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't that be sick?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 4: If there was some kind of like the way there's certain microbes and things that can like eat.
Speaker 5: Oil, like in oil spills.
Speaker 4: Like if they created something like hybridized or whatever, a thing that could actually feed on and digest nuclear waste and then poop it out in some sort of non nuclear form.
Speaker 3: I shout out this silver, This is great, great stuff. Seriously, Yeah, and shout out to a frame. Shout out to anonymous, Shout out to everybody tuning in tonight, thank you so much for joining the show. And further, if we could do like our little Uncle Sam thing where you point at the this only works for us because we're recording video. I want you yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, try force. Can we get like an Uncle Sam kind of thing? All right, we're all pointing at you on the screen.
Speaker 5: Really you specific for an awkward amount of time.
Speaker 3: Conspiracy Realist. Yeah, we're feeling the vibe. We hope you feel it as well. We can't wait for you to reach out and touch faith. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: You can find us the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist all over the internet, including on Facebook where we have our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy, as well as on x FKA, Twitter and on youtubehere we have video content galore for your enjoyment. On Instagram and TikTok. However, we are Conspiracy Touch.
Speaker 2: If you want to call us, we have a number for that. Call one eight three three std WYTK. When you call in, it's a voicemail system. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message. Just say it somewhere in that message. Then you've got three minutes say whatever you'd like. If you've got more to say, they can fit in that message. Why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read every piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void writes back, So join us out here in the dark conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, apple pot Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.