Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio of the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Ketty Armstrong and Katty and now he Armstrong and Hetty.
Speaker 2: We are suspending campaign operations. This is incredibly difficult because I know that some will think it's an admission of kilt, and it most certainly is not. We're not doing it because of the allegations. We're doing it because of the structures that are being taken away from us by those in power.
Speaker 3: Those in power like Bernie Sanders and zoron Mum Dannie. I mean, when Bernie and the socialist communist mayor of New York have turned on you, then you really got no friends. So it's that Graham Platiner dude, and he got out, and everybody knew he was going to get out, and I think everybody knew that's where this story was headed a long time ago, really, But there's a lot of interesting stuff around that, and we welcome to the show. Are one of our favorite political analysts that exist anywhere on the planet, lonhe Chen, David and Diane Stephie fellow in American Public Policy Studies at the Hoover Institution and the director of Domestic Policy Studies at Stanford University.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show, Hey Jack, Good to be with you. Pretty good. Where to start? Maybe here?
Speaker 3: One guest I had on earlier I hadn't seen the latest polling was Platner way down in the polls against Collins.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I think the polling was actually pretty competitive, okay, And that's why Democrats were so keen to figure out what to do about the situation, because they see the main Senate race as being a critical part of their pathway to try to take the majority of the Senate. It's going to be a tough pathway for Democrats just because of the states that are in play this cycle. But I think they really felt that Plattner had an opportunity to beat Susan Collins, and so this whole thing has been very, very, very disruptive to their Democrat plans.
Speaker 3: Here's one of my thoughts on this, an interesting angle. I was reading Mark Alpern's newsletter earlier today, and he was making the point that these voters in Maine chose this guy knowing most of it. You know, the most recent pretty solid rape allegation is new, but a lot of it was known, and they still chose them, Which makes me wonder where we are on the character issue with candidates across this country. As long as somebody's on our team, do we care anything about their personal lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great question. I mean, we heard this over and over again. You know, you looked at the different politicians who stood behind Graham Plattner even as allegations came out.
Speaker 6: Not this one.
Speaker 5: I mean, this one obviously was a more extreme version, but there were lots of similar allegations, and not just those allegations, but also severe lapses in judgment and character. You know, the idea that he'd have an offensive tattoo, that was something. You know, there were a bunch of stories about this guy that suggested he was not exactly the most savory character. And the argument that basically supporters of his used was well, you know, he's our guy, and it doesn't really matter because look, you know, the other side has a bunch of scoundrels too, so we're going to run a scoundrel and it's not going to matter. So I do think Jack, we're in a different era in American politics. You know, if you think back to the eighties, and nineties and even two thousands that the character question did reflect in a much more different way than it does today in today's politics. It's really come down to what I call the shirts and skins era. Basically, it just depends on if someone's on your side or not. If someone's on your side, then what they've done is forgivable. And you know, I think both sides have been guilty of this, you.
Speaker 1: Know, in terms of the sexual stuff.
Speaker 3: Rapes a different case, but obviously, but the cheating on your wife and that sort of lifestyle, from what I understand, our European friends have always marveled we care about that because they just don't care about your private sex life. You know, obviously we're talking about legal stuff between consenting adults, but in Europe they don't care about your private sex life, whereas the United States we always have. So maybe we're just moving into that sort of thinking.
Speaker 6: I suppose.
Speaker 5: I mean, I again, I don't want to dismiss it, because I do think that there are elements of character that are reflections on how how people will govern.
Speaker 3: I mean, right, sorry to interrupt you, but the fact that this guy was on various hookup sites.
Speaker 1: Trying to get laid weeks after he was married. What the heck is that?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's that's a different thing than some of the affairs we've heard about in the past with different totally but.
Speaker 5: I mean, just like Eric Swalwell, that was different too, right, And and look at how long Swallwell really hung in there until By the way, if you look at Swalwell's exit video, not all that dissimilar from the Platiner one, right, sort of disheveled saying look that this doesn't mean I'm guilt, YadA, YadA. I mean, the whole thing is just remarkable if you look at the severe defects in character that both of these candidates exhibited.
Speaker 6: And how well known.
Speaker 5: A lot of this was right, And I think that's part of the challenge, is that you had so many people, whether it was Slowwell or certainly Platiner, who because he wore the right jersey, we're willing to say, you know what, it doesn't matter. And you know, the argument that they would repeatedly use was the other side does it too, And that's when you know that our politics have entered a new era, and frankly, I think a more troubling time.
Speaker 1: Uh, you're the perfect guy to ask about this.
Speaker 3: So I assume the Democrats are going to take the House for all kinds of different reasons historically, blah blah, blah blah. But why the Senate is so close to fifty to fifty and each seat matters so much?
Speaker 1: Why is it? Would it be such a big deal?
Speaker 3: What would be the difference between the Republicans controlling the Senate or the Democrats controlling the Senate in the last two years of Trump's last term.
Speaker 5: I think the crucial difference is really two things. One is appointments and nominations. You know, the President makes a whole bunch of nominations, and the Senate's the only chamber that really advises and consents on those. And so if Democrats were to control the Senate, that would make it much harder for President Trump to fill his administration. I presume the Democrats would blockade pretty much all of his nominees, whether for courts or for executive positions. So that's number one, And then number two is the legislative question. Right there's not a whole lot of legislating happening right now. Congress doesn't do a lot of that anymore, which is kind of funny because anybody who studied the US Constitution will know it's Congress's job to, I don't know, make laws, but.
Speaker 6: Didn't really do that anymore.
Speaker 5: But to the degree that they do, it tends to require unified control of both the House and the Senate, because if one, you know, one sort of party controls both houses, then that creates an issue. Now, in this case, it's interesting because if the Democrats do take the House, then that piece is less relevant for the Senate because you've already got a roade block there. The only way for Trump to continue to legislate would be if Republicans were able to pull off a miracle and hold onto the House and hold onto the Senate.
Speaker 3: So I want to ask you about this about the Democratic Party and specifically their progressive or socialist wing of the Democratic Party. I don't know if you saw that video that surfaced a few days back, Scott Wiener, San Francisco political legend who's trying to get Nancy Pelosi's seat. He's always been a big active part of anything LGBTQ plus trans this sort of stuff, and he's a hero to that crowd. He was at a big Pride event and he got attacked by a bunch of other progressives because he's been too friendly to Israel over the years. And then I read some analysis that said, to my mind, crazy is in the Democratic Party the center of gravity is moved from the whole sexuality thing to the Jewish Israel support thing. Do you think that's accurate and how the deal is.
Speaker 5: That I do, Jack, this has become the new litmus test in progressive politics, and it has moved from I mean, we've seen the progression of this over the years, right from issues of gender identity to race and ethnicity questions, and now I do think it's a question that a lot of Democratic progressive activists are asking, which has a candidate received money from APAC, which is the political action committee that supports causes aligned with Israeli Jewish issues. And I think that has become the litmus test now for a lot of Democrats out there, and the question is have you taken that money? And the funny part of this, Jack, is if you look back in Democratic Party politics, there was a time back in the nineteen nineties and two thousands, not to date myself, but there was a time when that was worn as a badge of honor that a lot of Democrats wanted to be perceived as being prostry, certainly pro Jewish issues in the US, and that was something that they wore proudly, and that has completely flipped on its head. And I think it's a really disgusting part of progressive politics in my view, the degree to which some of this anti Semitism has been not just tolerated but encouraged by elements of the progressive left. And I think that's going to be a big challenge for them going forward and could signal. The last thing I'll say about this is a could signal of realignment. I think of a lot of Jewish voters in the US away from the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: Well to the point to the point of not just you know, we don't like what Israel is doing in Gaza or whatever that debate they had in Michigan the other night. That guy doesn't think Israel should exist running against a mainstream Democrat.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the problem is that, you know, it starts with critiques of the Israeli government, which I mean, look, people can have different opinions of how successful or unsuccessful the current Israeli government has been that's a legitimate question. But what is illegitimate, of course, is then using that as a platform to basically say there should not be a Jewish state. That to me is this disscussed and I mean, it's disgusting. But it's also become frankly much more common on the progressive left, to the point that it is becoming a test of whether someone has taken that position, and that is the litmus test that some of these particularly democratic socialist organizations are using to endorse or not endorse candidates. So it's really staggering how quickly this.
Speaker 1: Is to be I know, that's what I was about to say.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that it's moved this far this fast in my life, where you'd stand up running for office and say I don't think the Jewish States should even exist, and you.
Speaker 1: Might be the nominee.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh, in fact, you might have a very good chance of being the nominee. Right.
Speaker 5: I mean, you look at Zon Mamdani, You look at some of the positions that this person is running against. Karen vass In La Nitya Raman heard some of her positions. It's remarkable to see and it's just not something I thought I would see in my lifetime. You know, I thought there was a basic consensus amongst both political parties that America and the Jewish State of Israel are allies and friends and we're going to do everything we can to support the success of the Jewish state. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore for some on the progressive left.
Speaker 3: So, Lannie Jen, you are a smart, well spoken guy, and I wanted to give you a couple of minutes too.
Speaker 1: And even though we're now.
Speaker 3: Five days out from the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of this country, give me a couple of minutes on why you think America is exceptional. Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth, whether or not you think America is exceptional, and why pushing back against some of those detractors in the socialist wing of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 5: Well, America is exceptional, There's just no question about it. I mean, my family and I just get back from a vacation. We went to Europe for a couple of weeks. And yeah, there's a lot of things that are historical and beautiful about Europe, but the whole time you're there, you're realizing you know that it's not America. The amount of innovation, ingenuity and creativity and drive of people is just different. But I think what makes America different is just this idea that you can have people from all over the world coming to a country who you know, may not speak the language, may not know much about what America is, and they can make a life here, and then they can have kids and grandkids that have success far beyond the success that they had. That kind of achievement and accomplishment. It's becoming less common, I will say, but it is still something that distinguishes America in my mind from other countries around the world.
Speaker 6: Is just the ability for people to come here.
Speaker 5: To make a life, to be successful, and to become part of this American story, and it is it is just the most exceptional place on earth. Jack, I really I cringe when I hear people who make it their job to look down on America who basically say, you know, I'm not proud to be in America because of X, Y and Z. It's like, if that's really the case, if you're not proud to be in this country, to be part of this country, there are lots of other places around the world you can go to look down on America.
Speaker 1: I agree. I've been talking about go fund me. I'll buy you a ticket. We'll send you to.
Speaker 5: Exactly I mean, you know, we'll use your frequent fire mouths and give you a one way ticket to places around the world where there is no respect for the same kind of values that we have in America. And I and I just think that this is such a special place and it is incumbent upon all of us to protect this place as this incredible experiment that's been so successful.
Speaker 6: There really is nowhere else around the world.
Speaker 5: Like I heard a great interview with Jensen Huang as the founder of this company and video which if anybody has stopping congratulations but but but he you know, he basically talks about how his story would just not have been possible anywhere else in the world. And this is something that I've heard over and over again, and I believe it because it's my story.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, things would not have been possible.
Speaker 5: For me in any other country but America. And that that's why I believe in this country so much. And that's why I do think our better days are ahead of us, because it's just such an awesome place, Jack, I mean it really is. And you know we've got our share problems, of course, you know we've got some disagreements, but fundamentally what a great place to live.
Speaker 6: Really, nowhere else better in the world.
Speaker 3: Lonnie Chen I knew you'd be great on that. Thank you for your time today. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks, Jack, had a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And speaking of the guy runs n video, just the fact that what seven of the top eight country biggest companies in the world, most able companies in the world are all started by foreigners who came to this land.
Speaker 1: Anyway, more on that later. I want to tell you about a cogny, which.
Speaker 3: Is a really really good idea because your information is floating around out there on the Internet in data broker sites and all kinds of stuff, and that's why you can get scammed and they sell it to other bad people and all that sort of stuff, and cognity can help you get that information off there help you.
Speaker 1: They do it.
Speaker 3: They use the law on their side to remove your name and info from hundreds of databases and they keep sending follow up requests so your data is removed, protecting you from spams, scams and threats. They can't scam you if they can't find you. Take your personal data back within cogni I nd cog n I. It's that's how it's spelled. You get sixty percent off the regular price when you use the code armstrong and in cognity dot com slash armstrong.
Speaker 1: That's sixty percent off.
Speaker 3: And you use the code armstrong and in cognity dot com slash armstrong. I want to talk a little more about American exceptionalism, something that I left out the other day when we were talking about it, among other things.
Speaker 1: On the way stay.
Speaker 6: Here arm Strong, he yetni.
Speaker 3: So we're just talking a lot heat chan and got onto the topic about American exceptionalism and our culture and why this is the greatest country on earth and it is, and the reason that if you want to start something new, you come here, and because even with all our regulations everything like that, it's still all of a lot better in Europe and anywhere else, and you can start a new company. And that's why you got SpaceX, and you got Nvidia, and you got Apple and you got all these different.
Speaker 1: Sorts of things. But it reminds me so I went to Italy years ago. I was there. Hey, Gladys, you still work here? Thank you? Sorry Gladys, maybe too much coffee. Shouldn't have said that. Now she's crying. Hey, Michael, can you put your arm around her again?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 3: I was in Italy and uh, and picked up on the lifestyle there, the fact that I don't know if you know this, if you've never been, but they like close everything down like around eleven o'clock in the morning and don't open up again to one Like everybody just takes a couple hour break in the middle of the day, and everybody gets six weeks vacation like they do in France and a lot of the European countries, and people retire early and all this different sort of stuff. And I remember when I was at LEAs with a younger crowd and talking about why won't we do this in the United States. This is so cool, We're so we work so much, it's sorry to go. Yeah, here's the problem. These countries can't sustain their own lifestyles. They've been running out of money for decades. And the only reason that they haven't been taken over by China or Russia is because we protect them with our military and our productive society. It doesn't actually work. You can't be that relaxed about your productivity and survive as a country. And whether it's Greece or Spain, or Italy or France, it's all coming to an end.
Speaker 1: Or England. And I was talking to a buddy of mine.
Speaker 3: He's got this new job where he works with a bunch of people from different countries, and they remark regularly about how hard Americans work, and they think it's ridiculous that Americans work so hard. Like this guy that was from Mexico. When he gets off at five o'clock, he turns off his phone. There's no texting him or email in him. When he goes on vacation, you can't reach him. And you Americans, where you allow your boss to reach you on vacation. That's why we've had the number one economy on planet Earth since I think eighteen seventy. It's not an accident that we're so productive and so dominant economically that we can provide the military protection for the entire planet. That's one of the reasons, one of the many ways that we're exceptional. I've got more on that later, and some other news coming up about Iran brand new Iran stuff, Armstrong.
Speaker 4: And Getty two.
Speaker 7: Essential Command confirms a second consecutive wave of strikes targeting military military infrastructure in southern Iran, also coastally Ran. These strikes have been described as more aggressive than the initial wave that we saw earlier this week, sparked by attacks on commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz. Tran has responded by targeting neighboring nations including.
Speaker 1: Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar.
Speaker 7: Now Iran taking up much of the talk in Turkey, where President Trump just was for the NATO summit. There, he said, the fragile ceasefire deals signed last month is over.
Speaker 8: It's sort of crazy, to be honest, with this Souded gracing there a little bit out of it, but they want to make.
Speaker 1: It do badly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was a little disappointed to hear that I'd predicted yesterday morning or feared yesterday morning when I first saw that we're attacking Iran again.
Speaker 1: And I was happy to see.
Speaker 3: Trump come out and say, uh, these people are liars and scumbags. I don't know if you saw the video where he was asked at the podium a couple weeks ago, you said these are good, reasonable guys, and now you're bombing them and say they're scum.
Speaker 1: What changed?
Speaker 3: And Trump said, I got to know them. And Rubio was standing behind him in the Secretary of State and started laughing, probably happy to hear Trump finally come around to understand who.
Speaker 1: He's dealing with.
Speaker 3: But then last night on the plane, Trump saying, they really want to deal bad No they.
Speaker 1: Don't, dude, No, they don't. They want to drag this out longer.
Speaker 3: They want you to hold off the full on American mite of the military so they can drag this out longer.
Speaker 1: They don't want a deal. Putin doesn't want a deal.
Speaker 3: How do you not get This drives me nuts. Here's a different Fox report from Mark Tobin about what's going on between US and Iran and their neighbors.
Speaker 9: For the first time now around showing defiance has fired into Jordan. The US embassy staff was ordered to shelter in place. Jordanians now say they've intercepted some eight missiles that were fired into Jordan.
Speaker 6: No injuries from that. Now.
Speaker 9: This follows a night in which the US fired on some ninety targets that were hitting Iran.
Speaker 6: Last night.
Speaker 9: That's an increase from eighty the night before. Airport runways, missile launchers were among the targets, and we know that.
Speaker 6: A railroad bridge was hit.
Speaker 9: Iranian state media reported explosions in southern port cities, explosions in Bashir, home to that massive nuclear power plant complex, and explosions in port cities. We've seen video from the Iranian port city Kabakhar.
Speaker 3: So people that I respect, pundits that I respect, say, this has been some pretty significant hits.
Speaker 1: These are not just.
Speaker 3: Demonstrations of a response and that sort of thing that some times happens. These were some serious military hits. And Trump said when he was asked, are we back at war? And he said, no, we're not bagg of WARO. Sure, it looks like we're bagg of war. This is like Operation Enduring Freedom looking strikes for two days in a row.
Speaker 1: And we got a text.
Speaker 3: Earlier from somebody who lives near an air force base and three of the big giant B one B two bombers took off from there. I don't know if that means anything, but there's no reason to think we aren't going to continue to hit Iran. I don't know if that would bring them to the negotiating table or not. As mentioned yesterday, according to Wall Street Journal, there had been zero headway made in the nuclear talks. None, none, So we loosened up the purse strings. Iran started making money again off oil. We cut that off two days ago, but there for a couple of weeks they got to make money off of oil with the guarantee from the lot buying Iranians that they would sit down and be serious about nuclear talks. And it turns out, of course, they weren't serious about it, and zero headway has been made, and they didn't get into any of the details. But enriched uranium or inspections or any of that sort of stuff a surprise to no one, but apparently Trump and Jdvans I just I don't I'm mystified. I don't believe they don't know who they're dealing with. There's something else going on here. I don't quite know what it is. Maybe we won't know for years till the books are written by the people behind the scenes. Trump was asked some questions about.
Speaker 1: Ending the war, the war going on? Where we are now?
Speaker 5: Why are you apparently unable to end the Iran war?
Speaker 8: So I think we're doing just the opposite. The Iran War has been a tremendous military success. And you know, I can only answer the question by saying they're not going.
Speaker 6: To have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 8: I could we uh denuclearize Iran, and that's happened. They will never have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 1: I sure hope that's true. And they go on, if I.
Speaker 8: Weren't president, Israel wouldn't exist. And we did it two times when the g jc POA, the Obama deal, when that was originally conceived, everything went to Urn one point seven billion in cash, hundreds of billions of dollars. They thought they could buy peace with these people.
Speaker 1: You can't do that.
Speaker 8: So the big thing we have is more important than anything we can talk about, is you can't let lunatics have nuclear weapons. And we've stopped that.
Speaker 1: I hope, like I said so.
Speaker 3: The Associated Press writes the confusion and uncertainty in Trump's mixed messaging and his approval of back to back military strikes leave major questions, i'd say, about what comes next in the conflict. Just weeks after difficult diplomacy to reach even an initial deal between the longtime adversaries, the whip sawing rhetoric could be a strategy to increase the pressure you're on Turan to stop attacking ships transporting oil and natural gas in the Strait and bend to US demands. Whether it's a negotiation tactic or a signal of an escalation in fighting, Mediators are scrambling to save the deal, and the actions risk further inflaming tensions, which could spell problems for Republicans in November's midterm elections if gas prices stay high. That's stuff about the way this affects the midterms I always think is just dumb. Personally, the Democrats are going to take the House Historically, that's what's supposed to happen. Maybe they get more House seats because of the war. I don't know, but it's definitely Republicans are not gonna don't have any chance of hanging onto the House if this war gets wrapped up.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 3: And again, if our war policy around the world is we can't go to war with anybody. If gas gets kind of expensive for a summer, that's just no way to run a war or a country. So that's disappointing too. I have no idea where this is going. Neither does anybody else. Time will tell I guess we'll see the other war that we're involved in. We're not actually fighting this war, but we are involved with Ukrainian Russia. Obviously, this is new news. Ukrainian drones have hit more Russian oil facilities and sent two oil tankers a blaze in the Sea of Azov. This is a day after President Trump pledged to grant Kiva license to manufacture the Patriot Air Defense System to protect its cities. If you hadn't heard the news, that's a big deal. We're gonna let Kiev build the Patriot Air Defense System, which is the best air defense system on Earth, which will help protect the capital against anything any ballistic missiles that Putin wants to send their way. And today drones hitting more of the Russian oil facilities. You want to talk about a gas crisis or an oil crisis, That's what they got going on in Russia right now. And their population is really unhappy with the long lines and the closed gas stations and the price of gas and that sort of stuff, which of course could turn people against the war in Ukraine. I hope Ukraine's ability to reach out and disrupt their oil refinery industry is really something and that's only going to grow.
Speaker 1: What a war to watch?
Speaker 3: That is definitely seems like Ukraine is on the front foot there, so both wars are an interesting spot. I like the direction Ukraine Russia is going a lot better than I like the direction US Iran is going. But oh, by the way, one more thing, since we're talking about Iran. Rama Manual he was Barack Obama's chief of staff. He was the mayor of Chicago. He is a very smart moderate Democrat who I'm shocked has not seriously run for president before. He is going to run for president this time. But does the Democratic Party want a Democrat at this point? Well, he has always stood with Israel. He's a Jewish guy himself. He's over in Israel giving some strong speeches against Benjamin Netan Yahoo. I think he's trying to get his anti net and Yah who he's trying to do. He's trying to walk a fine line of supporting Israel, like mainstream Democrats always have and mainstream Republicans always have, while being critical of their current policies, to try to appease the anti Semite. I will call them left in the Democratic Party. I don't know if that's going to work or not. I don't know if when it comes to a debate stage, the fact that ram Emanuel supports Israel's right to exist and takes money from Apak, I don't know if he has a shot a getting the nomination, But time will tell him that one too. Man, If you can't get the nomination in the Democratic Party anymore by believing Israel should exist as a country, we are in a whole new era. Different topic coming up in a little bit. Just read an interesting article about those gop ones. There's weight loss drugs and all the different things they can do. And what is that doing to some people's attitudes about life or your your ability to even to try to fight or resist bad things, or we all or we're gonna start turning to pills rather than having any willpower whatsoever. Interesting question on that. And then I also just came across the term I saw up on the TV, should you get an airport divorce?
Speaker 1: I don't know what an airport divorce is.
Speaker 3: Sounds like one of those cutesy terms and a phenomenon just made up by mainstream media. But I will google that and I'll figure out what it is. And we'll talk about it and the gop ones when we come back.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, and Huey Lewis News.
Speaker 4: I can't hear music. Music is not part of my life anymore. I can't find pitch in the music. See that technology that I use on my cochlear implant. It breaks everything down into digital bits. Speech is easier to listen to the music. The cochlear, which is my only reliable form of hearing, distorts the music a little bit in the same way it distorts people's voices. It makes pitch impossible to hear. I can hear conversation. Fight pull these things out. I'm deaf.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: So that's Shuey Lewis, who listen to the news, one of the biggest musical acts the entire eighties, and he went deaf a while back. Did he go deaf because of too much loud music?
Speaker 6: Do we know?
Speaker 3: Or is it just one of the random things that can happen to anybody. A lot of your musicians are deaf. It's because they were standing in front of crazy loud speakers every night for years and years and years, like Pete Townsend and the Who. But he's got one of those cochlear implants like Rush Limbaugh got. I don't know if I've ever known anybody that had one of those. I didn't know that you couldn't hear me music with them. Though you can hear speech fine, which obviously would be a heck of a gift compared to being completely deaf. But you can't hear music or pitch anyway.
Speaker 1: I'll be darned.
Speaker 3: Speaking to musicians. Huey Lewis is still alive. Bonnie Tyler is not. She had a total eclipse of her heart last night at age seventy five. Now now you don't like that, Michael, No.
Speaker 1: Soon, too soon.
Speaker 3: I read the entire lyrics of that song earlier in the show, many of which I didn't know. I've been belting that song out in my car or radio studios back when I was a DJ for decades, and some of the lines I had completely wrong. She didn't write the song to Jim steinem production. He wrote all your schmaltzy songs of the eighties, seventies and eighties, all your big ones. He was the one behind like your big meat loaf songs. You know you're really schmaltzy. Meat Loves two out of three Bad. You know those kind of songs, Total Clips of the Heart. Once you recognize that this guy, Jim Steinum, you can pick those songs out easily when you hear him. Anyway, he was behind Total Clips of the Heart, a giant hit for Bonnie Tyler, and one of this is what I'm suggesting little for Little Friday tonight. If you're out at the bar, at a karaoke bar, get up there on stage quite drunk and sing Total Eclips of the Heart in honor of Bonnie Tyler, dead at the age of seventy five. I don't know if I buy this article before I get to what an airport divorce is? What's an airport divorce? I don't know if I buy this article in the New York Times, How golp ones feed our sick culture. This is what this writer in the New York Times is trying to convince us that these glp ones, these are any of these drugs or zembic.
Speaker 1: Or Zegovni or whatever they're calling.
Speaker 3: Where people are losing weight and really really loving it, and they're very, very popular, and and I know people personally who it's changed their lives and they couldn't be happier. How it's actually a bad thing because it's feeding our sick culture of prioritizing thinness over fatness, and all it's doing is driving home the point that being thin is better, and you've got a choice out there, and if you're fat, it's because you eat too much, you refuse take this medicine, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: C I don't know if I buy this.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I know people are very very happy that for the first time in a very long time they're thinner and feeling better and looking better and have more self confidence and all the different things that go with that. I mean, technically, I get the argument it does kind of feed that culture in that you wouldn't lose weight. I guess if you're really overweight, you got to lose weight for health reasons. But if you're just kind of overweight, you're probably mostly losing weight because you want to look better, for your ego, to get a mate, for all the reasons we all want to look better, all the reasons we diet and go to the gym outside of health reasons. Here's some stunning statistics around that, though, and again this is from the New York Times in this particular article. Who uses this article uses the term patriarchy twice, So I'm a little suspect on any article to use their term patriarchar Yes, it's men in the patriarchy that have caused society to think thin is better than fat. That or just all humans everywhere on Earth just automatically, biologically, genetically prefer thin to fat.
Speaker 1: We just do.
Speaker 3: It's not the patriarchy. It's not a flaw, I don't think. But these stats are pretty amazing. Among women who are single when they started on the golp ones, the probability of being married or living with a partner goes up eighteen percentage points overall, and twenty nine points over six or more quarters, so that'd be a year and a half or more. Your likelihood of having a romantic partner or getting married goes up thirty points going on the golp ones over a year and a half.
Speaker 1: That's something that's too bad.
Speaker 3: Your employment rate rises for people who are overweight going on the golp ones by almost thirty points after a year and a half. Make more money easier to get a job if you're thinner than if you're overweight.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've never been in a position to hire anybody where I would have cared about your weight. Haven't been in a position to hire anybody in a very long time. I guess Joe and I do we have a role and who's on our staff and everything like that. We've never cared about weight. I don't know if I buy those stats again. I don't know if I trust any article that uses the term patriarchy.
Speaker 1: Ever. What's an airport divorce? See what you think of this?
Speaker 3: An airport divorce is a popular travel trend. Is it not an actual that says there in parentheses? Where couples temporarily split up at the airport after you go through security to reduce stress and avoid arguments before a flight. I don't know if you If it's to avoid arguments, your relationship really isn't that good. If like just being around each other for an hour before you fly, you're gonna get into a fight.
Speaker 1: But this makes sense to me. Different people have different styles.
Speaker 3: Some people like to go through all the shops, walk around and look at the crap in the shops. Some people like me, like to find the quietest spot in the airport and sit down and read. If you hate, If you really don't want to sit down and read, you'd rather walk around, well, then have.
Speaker 1: An airport divorce.
Speaker 3: Using my finger quotes and one of he walks around the shops and gets a cup of coffee and looks at those neck pillows and decides whether you should buy another one, or if you need a T shirt that says Cleveland because you're at the Cleveland Airport. Every airport sells a T shirt with the name of the town on it. I don't know how many they sell, but as it says in here, it's not a sign that your marriage is in trouble if you get an airport divorce. I have a feeling that happily married people or normal people in general, come to these conclusions on their own. I'm gonna sit here and read. Okay, I'm gonna go look around the shops.
Speaker 1: End of story.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it need a cute name like airport divorce or not. If you miss a segment of this show, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You should subscribe. Then you just automatically get each segment. We got more to Go an hour four stick around Armstrong and Getty