Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or streams live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: I love Dan Patrick alway good home to.
Speaker 4: The biggest guests at best sports talk on radio.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: Normally. Oh the Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: Oh goodness is what today Dan and the Dants are on. I don't see another radio show.
Speaker 5: Instead, you get Doug Gottlieb and Dan broadcasting from the Mercedes Man Cave.
Speaker 3: This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 4: Good on to you.
Speaker 5: Dan Patrick Show Sports Radio happened in the year. This is coming to you from the tyrag dot Com Studios. Direct dot Com is the official tire expert and retail of The Dan Patrick Show. Go to tirect dot com slash Dan Try the Tire Decision Guy. You get a full line of good Year tires, special offers, pre rode as, protection, mobile tire installation, tyrat dot Com so Way Tire Buying should be hope you're having just you had a great New year.
Speaker 4: God, what a tragedy what?
Speaker 5: I just what an awful, awful event in New Orleans. I know, Dan, I was listening to your update on the fact they don't think it'll affect the Sugar Bowl, And I do understand you're talking about you know, one hundred thousand people or whatever, eighty thousand people plus all of the other parts to it. And I don't know what an extra day would do. But I don't know. That's a terror attack by definition of the word right down the street, and we can say it doesn't have any effect in the game.
Speaker 4: Like what are we actually talking about? You know?
Speaker 5: Do you just play the sport? Does the show must go on? I guess I don't.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That that's a hard one, but I do think you have to have at least a conversation of, hey, are we doing the right thing by playing this playing this deal and they.
Speaker 6: Will play it there. There hasn't been any mention of a possible delay or discussion authorities meeting the media giving details, and obviously that's a topic of conversation. And you also have two teams coming in from Georgia, Notre Dame that have fan bases, not that, not that it matters where any of the victims are from. Every life loss is tragic, but you know there are people in town for that. They said that the the those who lost their lives mostly mostly locals, But again it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Just more information on it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I think it would just be difficult because of the If it was a Saints game, Doug, maybe you know, maybe you move it to a Monday night, but because you have these two fan bases coming in and likely flying out the next day or leaving the next day driving, I think it's it's difficult to do that. Just they said that the game is not at risk. I don't feel that there's any threat to the game. You'd expect that there would be beefed up security with you know, with what they you know, would have they had tons of security out last night, and you know, something like this still was able to happen. But yeah, you'd expect that tonight. But they don't expect, they don't expect the game to be altered in any way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just terrible, terrible stuff.
Speaker 5: So I know, thoughts and prayers, you know, fall short of real kind of empathy for what's going on. But that's the only thing we can we can do. And I actually do agree with the idea of playing the game. I don't want to, I just I do think you have to go like, are we doing the right thing here?
Speaker 4: And you know, it's.
Speaker 5: Just it's very likely too big a ship to turn around, you know, just it just is.
Speaker 4: But it's.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't care where anybody's from, the fact is that anyone who goes down to to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl goes to Bourbon. Right, you may go for Bignet's in the morning, but you're going to go to Bourbon. And now that's a it's a crime scene, it's a it's a crime it's just awful, awful stuff. All right, let's get to some some better things that will happen today. This is the Dan Patrick Show. He's Dampfire, I'm I'm Doug Gottlieb and for Dan and the Danette. Jason Stewart, our steam producer, is alongside as well. Quick recap of last night again and I'll just Dan, I'm gonna use your breakdown because I thought mine was way too wordy, which was there was never a point in which you thought Penn State was gonna lose that football game.
Speaker 4: So what about today?
Speaker 5: As now we have of what feels like much more evenly matched matchups?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Does it feels you know anyone who's questionable is no longer in the field. It doesn't mean that we know exactly how good Arizona State is against the Texas, but I'm not sure we know how good Texas truly is. Georgia takes on Notre Dame in the Night Gap. But the game that I think everyone points to as this could very easily be a national championship game is Ohio State Oregon. And while you sit there and go, well, Ohio State lost to Michigan, yes they did. And Ohio State did lose to Oregon. And of course the Michigan loss was at home by three points. Their offense did nothing in the second half, nothing, But they turned around and put forty two up on Tennessee. And now they take on the Ducks, who they played before. They play him in the Granddaddy of them all, They play them in the Rose Bawl. It's the closest thing we have to an actual Rose Bowl with an old Pac ten Big ten matchup. Dan is a gigantic Ohio State fan. Gigantic your feelings going into these games, Going in this game is if you had to parry down to one word, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Nervous?
Speaker 6: There's, yeah, it's but not for There are so many storylines going about, but I feel that every single storyline is about Ohio State, every single one. Like we're not talking about Oregon. We're talking about Ryan Day, We're talking about Ohio State turning it on against Tennessee. We're talking about revenge, We're talking about pass interference, and just like the entire season, Oregon's going dun da da, dun da da. We'll just keep winning and going on about our business. And you know, it's funny with the Giants Eagles conversation that we had of saying like, wouldn't that just be the ultimate you know, bleep you to the Giants, where the Eagles are just like, yeah, we don't care, you know, we're gonna sit say kwan. There's a little bit of that aspect of this where I just think like Oregon's like, okay, go ahead, keep talking. You know, yep, you guys are the ones that are going to make the adjustments. It's just very naive to think that while it was such a close game in Eugene and that maybe Ohio State played its best game of the year against Tennessee, that Oregon just wouldn't have gotten better or Oregon wouldn't have improved.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's you know, that's foolish to think of that.
Speaker 5: I think, Yeah, your your apprehension, your nervousness is you know, this is a giget. It's totally unfair, but this is the you.
Speaker 4: Know, this is the business has chosen.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes, for Ryan Day, totally unfair, but like this is everything you know, and everyone was on him last week and they go in, Molly want Tennessee right, And again, I don't know whether it's the beer dye or you know, the records against the ranked teams or whatever. I did think there is you know, Oregon was very very clever obviously with their manipulation of the rules when they played, when they won the game at Audsin, which is in fact coaching. And you know, and look Dan Lanning, whether it's the pregame halftime videos or just the overall positivity and energy whatever it is, like he's kind of it doesn't mean you win the game, but in terms of public opinion, he wins public opinion ahead of ahead of Ryan Day. Right, Yeah, So I'm just it's it's this game is everything to Ryan Day.
Speaker 6: I think if you had a college football coaching draft right now, of the coaches in college football, and it's not because they're number one. Maybe because they are number one, that doesn't make this is big of a deal. But I think Dan Lanning's your number one pick of all the coaches out there. And I know Kirby Smart and Georgia like, hold on, wait a second here, but there seems to be something about a guy who, by the way, where'd he come from? Came from Georgia, but they're just as there's something about him. There's something about his attitude, their confidence. We've always talked about the Oregon resources, but yeah, and the culture that they they've built. Yeah, my goodness. I mean he's done a spectacular job. I mean, we look at bo Nicks now and Sean Payton deserves some credit, but there was there was an Auburn Bonis and Auburn Bonicks has been completely erased from our memory, correct because of Oregon Bonicks and now Denver Broco Bonicks.
Speaker 5: And I would also say Dylan Gabriel much the same. You know, yeah, Central Floord when he was at Oklahoma last year, remember Oklahoma let him go, right, let's not forget, you know.
Speaker 4: And and.
Speaker 5: They thought they had an answer that was better than Dylan Gabriel. And the thought was, Dylan Gabriel, you top out when you get to the really really high level stuff. He just he's gonna he's gonna top out. That was the feeling from last year. And you're like, you don't know there, right, I mean, yes, Oregon could have come in with a big bag, but guys like that at Oklahoma. Oklahoma has plenty of money, plenty of money, and they wanted to fix it. They sat there and said to themselves, we're good, We're good.
Speaker 4: We have something better, you know.
Speaker 5: And he was a you know, a freshman starting quarterback who you know, red shirt and Jackson Arnold and Jacksonarld started three games and they pulled him and they put him back in, they pulled him again and whatever. But they thought Jet Jackson Artal was better than Dylan Gabriel. So just and I'm with you on bo Nixt. People forget bo Nick started as a freshman at his dad's alma monitored Auburn, and Auburn fans are like, dude, road game bow knicks not good enough, goes to Oregon and good enough and Dylan Gabriel kind of much the same. So I'm with you, and all these things can be true. But the game feels like it's all about Ryan Day. Yeah, it's all about Rhyan Day.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of a lot of Ohio State, a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do you take anything like I know that Herbie's taking a beating on social media, not that that matters the SEC losses, the two SEC losses yesterday, Does that help the argument of the other conferences?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: What I do find is how America is united against the SEC, because at one point I just felt that each conference, and specifically is a Big ten guy. I felt like the Big ten had to fight their own battles. But now how you have one less conference in the PAC twelve. So maybe the reaches has that's expanded, and since now the SEC has expanded, some of the Big twelves probably felt the heat. I feel there's more anti SEC than anything. I don't think that Alabama really was too interested in playing that game, taking nothing away from Michigan, you know, South Carolina Illinois sure seemed like a different sort of deal.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't read a lot into it.
Speaker 6: I don't think the SEC has got doug for all the SEC talk that we had. Again, I just go back to the Georgia Tech Georgia game for the team that we feel is the standard bear in that conference. You know, Georgia Tech could have won that game late in the year and in changed things. I just didn't think that the SEC was as great as it was. So it's not like a piling on for me. I don't think it makes a difference. My feelings about the league are basically the same as what they were prior.
Speaker 5: Well, the ultimate equalizer for these things, for these leagues is quarterback play, and that's what's going to be interesting, right is. I mean, that's what happened with the PAC twelve last year and it's last year of existence, and pretty obvious you had some studs at quarterback, which can even out when there's a talent disparity. Maybe not even out, but relatively level of playing field when there's a talent disparity. Okay, the Sugar Bowl, which we started by talking about like that feels like that's a pick em. That's a pick em, and it's a it's a weird thing. Again, Yes, I agree most of the world is anti It feels anti SEC just because they've been so dominant for I think, for so long, and there's so much discussion and assumption that they're ultimately going to have a couple of SEC teams in the National Championship Game. Have you noticed? I feel like Marcus Freeman is the Zion Williamson. What Zion Williamson was to Duke, is Marcus Freeman to Notre Dame. Zion Williamson may do likable right, like no one when he was in college, like everybody like watching Zion Wings like gay player Duke Like okay, And I'm not a Duke cater. I do know that the Duke haters exist and they are allowed group, right, and Notre Dame is the same thing. It's usually a national celebration when Notre Dame loses a college football playoff game or a BCS game, right, or a big game of this magnitude.
Speaker 4: People just like they've they've.
Speaker 5: Heard enough about Notre Dame and all of the history history stuff, which none of it has helped about in modern day football, and I think Notre Dame has been a hell of a program here for the last decade, spanning the last couple of coaches. But Marcus Freeman is seems so much more likable than a Brian Kelly that he's like he has the Zion Wims. In fact, like, I actually think that a lot of America is going to be cheering for Notre Dame to win this game over Georgia. Part of it is Georgia's overall dominance the SEC, but a lot of it is people just like Marcus Freeman think like that's the kind of dude I want to see winning.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 6: I hadn't thought about that there there is some arrogance that automatically comes with being the Notre Dame head coach, even if you're I mean Lou Holtz obviously, the Brian Kelly, as you just mentioned, even Charlie Weiss for that matter, There is something with it. And I also think that the SEC then plays into the to the Georgia stuff. A Pickham game, I'd be curious to see what it would be if Carson Beck was healthy. I'm not sure how different it would be, but I would have to think that it would at least be a little different that it would favor Georgia. But Gunnar Stockton's gonna have everything that he you know, on his plate and more tonight. That sounds very cliche, but the one thing that I will say is it's funny because for how good this Notre Dame team is, Doug, when we talk about do you let the little guy into the bracket, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Northern Illinois probably had the win of the year in college football when they went to Notre Dame and one in September. You know, so there's there's always that bug a boof for when you look at how good, you know, Notre Dame is and Notre Dame's playing really really well, it's you look at that that blemish on their record and you're like, oh, yeah, Northern Northern Illinois.
Speaker 3: And even if the Notre Dame would have run round the table, they still.
Speaker 6: Would have been, you know, where they are on the brighter They would have been a five seed, but they wouldn't have got a first round by because they're not in the conference. But yeah, just just unique with the Irish and everything, the lone blemish being I.
Speaker 5: You yeah, and uh and I you fired their coach too, like you beat Note in the year in which you beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame and you lose your job. College sports man can't beat it. And then of course you got Arizona State Texas.
Speaker 4: As.
Speaker 5: Kenny Dellingham got an extension, so he's, yeah, not going anywhere.
Speaker 6: Jake Plumber on yesterday and I thought, I was kind of curious, what are you going to do? Maybe he knew something at the time that we didn't, but that news came out after the interview.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and of course they take on Texas, and Texas says beat everybody they played except for the Dogs, and they lost to the Dogs twice, the second time in overtime. Will they get a third shot at the Dogs? They got to survive Arizona State. And and Cam Scatabo if you haven't seen him, he's a transfer from sack State, played the last two years at Arizona State.
Speaker 6: And yeah, Jason Stewart's got a firsthand look at Cam Scattabo. Jason and your in person scouting, I know you were able to check him out in still Water. Well, what kind of game do you think that Scataboo had. First of all, I want to give some context to this for listeners who don't know. Doug got us amazing seats to was it Boo Pickens Stadium?
Speaker 4: Boone Picken Stadium?
Speaker 3: That's Boon.
Speaker 4: Did you say he's at Boo? He said, Boo.
Speaker 3: Boon picking You are my Boo.
Speaker 2: We had great seats and we were able to catch a quarter of the game before the game was postponed for several hours due to weather. And in that one quarter I saw some magic with Arizona State. It might have had something to do with the fact that Oklahoma State had a dummies for their defense. They played zero defense in that quarter that I saw. But I saw some magic with Arizona State.
Speaker 5: Doug, Yeah, I mean okamis stated, I think statistically was the worst power five power four defense in the country. But Cam Scattabo is pretty awesome to watch, pretty awesome to watch. This is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. He's Dan Byrom Doug Gottlie. All right, coming up next, we'll take one final look back at sports in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: They said what you'll hear it next.
Speaker 5: First, cars today are built to last, but how they look is up to you. That's where Mako comes in. We specialize in cosmetic repairs, from affordable paint jobs to fixing those annoying dents and dings. Maybe your car's paint is faded, or you've been meaning to fix that scrape from the grocery store parking lot. Whatever it is, Maco as you cover. Here's the best part. We offer free estimates. Stop by your low Makeo and find out just how easy it is to refresh your ride. With more Americans keeping their cars longer, now it's time to protect your investment keep it looking chart for years to come. At Maco, we're a proud trusted partner for drivers across the country. Whether it's giving you a car fresh coat of paint or fixing up those everyday dents and dings, Maco is here to keep your car looking its best. Visit your local Maco today for a free estimate and see how easy it is to bring new life to your ride.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, better get MAKEO.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for the Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us Live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 5: Got leave Dan Byern for Dan Patrick and the Dan Ats. So Dan, we did this. Yes, this is basically Jason doing a ton of work and going and finding some cool sound from twenty twenty four, right, and we like we just this happened in twenty four and you and I can go back and forth and what we remember about it. We called it, they said what they said?
Speaker 3: What now, Doug?
Speaker 2: Before we get into this, I do need to bring Dan on because he had after the fact, he had a better idea on what to name the segment What did what did you?
Speaker 3: What'd you want to do?
Speaker 6: So this aired yesterday last year, guys, it aired last year.
Speaker 3: I thought that these segments should be called what did we hear? This year? Instead of they said what much more catchy? Rhyming? Aspect alliteration and rhyming.
Speaker 5: You had him at a literation that's like, that's that's that's basically that's him.
Speaker 4: You had me at hello, You had Jase do at illiteration.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, exactly right, And what I wanted to do today is that we had so much left on the cutting room floor. And you know what, remember when people bought DVDs and they came with deleted scenes as a bonus. I always thought that was a little overrated, Like if the deleted scenes were so good, why weren't they just in the original cut? But anyways, this is like the deleted scenes from yesterday's they said what And it's still great sound and it's a reminder of like things that happen that are still pretty topical today. For example, I wonder if you'd think Jerry Jones would want these words back, but he has since doubled and tripled down on the comments, so maybe he didn't want them back. But this was the original all in comments from February.
Speaker 7: How would anticipate, with looking ahead at our key contracts that we'd like to address, will be all in? I would anticipate will be all in got the end of this year. So when you say is there any thought, I think will strainer.
Speaker 4: We'll push the hell out of it.
Speaker 7: It will be going all in on different people than you've done in the past. We'll be going all in. We've seen some things out of some of the players that we want to be all in on. And yes, I would say that you will see us this coming year, not building for the future. It's the best way I don't have to say it, and that ought to answer a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: Now, guys, all in is a catchphrase that is most kind of tied to Texas. Hold them. I think it's ironic that a guy that lives in Texas and made billions of dollars in Texas doesn't quite know what the term all in is. He had a lame duck coach coming into the season. He signed Dak Prescott i think on the final day of the off season, and he didn't spend any money on free agents, which is kind of the opposite of all in. It was like frugal and kind of responsible financially, the opposite of all in.
Speaker 3: Nope, yes.
Speaker 5: Again, I think that in Jerry's mind, they took care of most of the contracts that needed to and the all in was they weren't you know, they weren't playing for the future. They're playing for the now. But you're definitely you're definitely right right that if this is all in, I'd hate to see what it looks like when they're not all in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that it just we we have taken the all in quote and shortened it. When you hear that whole thing, he completely did the opposite. He tried to He tried to explain away what all in meant throughout the year, but knowing that original sound bite, he said, No, it's not about building for the future. It's about winning this this year and doing it this year now. Locking up Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb may have been for this year, but those are.
Speaker 4: So long term moves, correct.
Speaker 6: Because of the contracts that you know you've laid out. So I just yeah, it just it's it's complete lie. That's all it was.
Speaker 4: Let's get to let's get to a basketball one. Don't you have a basketball one from February as well.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing you've wanted to do this after one of your games. Doug Rick Patino decided to use exactly zero filters when talking about his Saint John's team after a wash.
Speaker 5: We are so non athletic that we can't guard anybody without fouling. I don't think they move well laterally. I don't think they're gonna pick it up in the next week. I think this slow laterally. I mean Sean Conway gives you everything he can. He's slow laterally. About five guys of slow laterally. Even even the Celtics when we lost, I've enjoyed every minute being a bus and Celtic coach didn't like the fact that we lost in that following year. But this has been the most unenjoyable experience I've had since I've been coaching.
Speaker 4: Do you have.
Speaker 3: Any second thoughts of taking this job?
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: It's not Saint John's my team.
Speaker 4: I think they're very respectful. They hear, but they don't listen.
Speaker 5: It's taken me a month to get them to throw bounce passes, actually two months to throw bounce passes. Just thinking of getting ready for Georgetown because Georgeown could definitely beat us.
Speaker 4: I'm not even thinking of the future at all.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking of the next game and the next game, in the next game, and that's it. They actually end up winning some games after that, including the Georgetown although Georgetown was terrible last year.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, that was that was That was a lot.
Speaker 3: It's not you.
Speaker 5: It's enjoyable experience I've ever.
Speaker 3: Do you wish you when I'm taking the Saint John's job.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, it's not Saint John's my team.
Speaker 4: I just I just don't like those guys. It's amazing. It's just no comment, no comment, no comment from my end. None.
Speaker 2: So so many people, I guess, put their foot in their mouth about Caitlin Clark over the past year. She was by far the most controversial sports figure of the year. And then Greg Doyle, longtime columnist for The Indie Star. He's kind of a different, eccentric guy, definitely leans left, but that has nothing to do with this comment. He had a a she was at the introductory press conference and he had this exchange with her.
Speaker 8: Hey, Caitlin, Greg Doyle Indie Star. Real quick, let me do this like you like that. I like that you're here.
Speaker 3: I like that I do that in my family after every game.
Speaker 4: So okay, well, we'll.
Speaker 2: Start doing it to me and we'll be able to get along just fine. So the question is, so Greg was taken off of any fever duty. He couldn't cover the fever for the rest of the season and maybe forever. I think he apologized in some way, shape or form, but a very disturbing SoundBite there.
Speaker 5: Well, he did the heart thing, which is the Taylor Swift heart thing, and that is something she does. I just I don't know, Like Greg, eccentric is the perfect word.
Speaker 4: I kind of think he got railroad in this deal. Like Greg, the.
Speaker 5: Last thing he wants to do is he's just weird. Just he's a different dude, talented writer, sort of weird, kind of mister India as a writer whatever. And Yeah, I don't know. I think I think people didn't know how to handle the Caitlyn Clark thing. And I also think that it's pretty obvious that women really don't know how to handle all the attentions she got, you know, and that everything becomes sexist, racist, like or this is just sports and we're just trying to cover a Hayley's comment that that has our attention.
Speaker 6: You mean, New Zaltz don't give a heart to the president right before the press conference in news conference and then he gives one back. The great part about well, there's nothing great about that clip, but their hidden is one hidden. It is all cringe worthy, especially actually when you know what happens, like you know what's going on, the cackling in the background. We always make fun of the fake laughter that we get with exchanges when coaches say something that's not even remotely funny. But the but this was more of a pep rally media combo thing. This wasn't like just a media session thing. But there are people just cackling in the background too, just thinking how great it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so wrong.
Speaker 4: The whole thing was just so everything was just so weird about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you talked about how like the WNBA themselves didn't like the way they were covered.
Speaker 3: So as you said, don't like it.
Speaker 5: They don't like anything unless you just say you're great. Everybody loves you. You're better than the NBA, You're better than everything, and we're all idiots for not covering you for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: I think one of the morons over on ESPN had said that when Caitlyn Clark was eliminated from the playoffs that now he's looking forward to seeing coverage that's empowering to women. At least now that Kaitlyn Clark's gone. The ratings might not be up, but at least we'll have empowering coverage. So Lebron James actually weighed in. Everybody had a thought on this and Lebron James weighed in defending Caitlyn Clark.
Speaker 9: The one thing that I love that she's bringing to hers for more people want to watch, more, people want.
Speaker 3: To tune in.
Speaker 9: Don't get it twisted, don't get it done. Kaitlin Clark is the reason why a lot of great things is going to happen for the WNBA. But for her individually, I don't think she should get involved though. Nothing that's being said. Just go have fun, enjoy, you know. But I'm rude for Kaitlin because I've been in that seat before, I've walked that road before. I hope they I hope she kills I hopefully a Boston does amazing, you know.
Speaker 4: I hope they do great. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he has on some level walked it. It's got to be okay. I just can't imagine carrying an entire sport and the sport fighting you carrying it.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 5: Look, there was a little of that with Jordan early on, a little bit, okay because they weren't very good, but not much. Not much with Magic and Bird. There was none of it with Kobe. There was some of it right where Jordan and some of the old Guard, you know, he was a little much maybe a little bit of it with Lebron, But I actually think Caitlin's carrying of a sport when the sport itself doesn't want her to carry it is got to be really really hard, got to be really really difficult.
Speaker 4: I just I can't.
Speaker 3: Imagine everything she does is measured.
Speaker 4: What noun has to be, noun has to be.
Speaker 2: You're probably wondering why, of all the sound bites in twenty twenty four, why Jeff Darlington would be one of them. You know, just a reporter that does a lot of NFL, but he covers golf too. He was reporting on the PGA Championship and he was an actual witness to the following event.
Speaker 10: Entering Bahalla Golf Club this morning, we witnessed a car pull around us.
Speaker 4: That was Scotti Scheffler was in the car.
Speaker 10: To be very clear about the details here, Scotti Scheffler has been detained by police officers, placed in the back of a police vehicle in handcuffs after he tried to pull around what he believed to be security ended up being police officers.
Speaker 3: They told him to stop.
Speaker 10: When he didn't stop, the police officer attached himself to the vehicle. Scheffer then traveled another ten yards before stopping the car. The police officer then grabbed at his arm, attempting to pull him out of the car, before Scheffler eventually opened the door, at which point the police officer pulled Scheffler out of the car, pushed him up against the car, and immediately placed him in handcuffs. Scheffler was then walked over to the police car, placed in the back in handcuffs, very stunned about what was happening, looked toward me as he was in those handcuffs and said, please help me. He very clearly did not know what was happening.
Speaker 4: In the situation.
Speaker 10: It moved very quickly, very rapidly, very aggressively. He was detained in that police vehicle for approximately twenty minutes. The police officers at that point did not understand that Scottie Scheffler was a golfer in the tournament, nor of course, that he is a number one player in the world.
Speaker 6: I love the aspect of now looking back and again someone was tragically killed at Valhalla, which caused all of the commotion and the delays and the lay enclosures, and so that part is not funny. At all, but how like Jeff Dart like this was I mean, I mean this seriousness. Now looking back on it, it was Scotti Scheffler, who, again I was completely in the wrong. I don't care if there's a police officer, if someone's wearing a vest of security guard, you listen to him, especially in that situation. Scotty Scheffler completely in the wrong. But just to hear Darlington, what was that like a minute forty of just like a breakdown of all of all the things, like you know, we have serious news in New Orleans today and like Jeff Darlington was delivering it at that level.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, it was.
Speaker 5: That was a weird one, like is this really happening? Just really happening again, not to that level. I've had plenty of those of similar moments where you guys know me, like if you give me a parking pass or a badge to attend somewhere anything more than five minutes before is a good chance I don't have it when it's time to go.
Speaker 4: In, right, Yes, it's a really good chance.
Speaker 5: And you know, I always think one of the good things about being kind of an average looking guy is you can be inconspicuous The only bad thing about being an average looking guy is you can be inconspicuous and there's no benefits of you know, like if I'm six foot seven and I kept walking in everybody, Oh well, you've got to be a player or somebody knows who you are. But I would also tell you that like part of the the chefler not knowing do indeed do you know who I am? You know, is a everywhere he goes, everyone knows in his own orbit. This never happens, you know, it never happens. Everybody knows who you are, and so all of a sudden a cop who's working at the golf tournament doesn't know who you are.
Speaker 4: You just it's really like what, I don't know. It was a crazy one.
Speaker 6: Then he shot sixty six five under, had himself in the contention, but everything got up with him on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it had to be. It had to be a lot.
Speaker 5: I'm Doug Gottab's Dan Bayer filling for Dan Danet's Dan Patrick ship Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we look back at.
Speaker 5: Some of the crazy things or things that were said in twenty four, What about twenty five?
Speaker 4: What about twenty five?
Speaker 5: Who is the athlete who's gonna be the Caitlin Clark of twenty five.
Speaker 4: I don't know. We'll dig in next to The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 5: Doug gotlig Dan Byron for Dan Patrick and the dan Nettes here in the Dan Patrick Ship Fox Sports Radio. So look, everybody does the looking back, looking back, looking back, looking back, and look, that's that's as much my That's that's how I always do things. And mentally, like when you talk about the goals for twenty twenty twenty five, is doing a better job of letting things in the past go, still learning from them, but letting things in the past go. So but the best way to let go of the past to look forward to the future, which is where we bring in my good friend Dan Byer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Doug, you know I sat up on December thirty one of twenty twenty four watching the ball drop on the East Coast and then on the Central time zone and decided to look ahead to what we've got over the next three hundred and sixty five days.
Speaker 3: So while we did.
Speaker 6: The audio thing previously, let's take a look ahead.
Speaker 3: Doug.
Speaker 6: April seventh, twenty twenty five a huge day. That's when the settlement to the anti trust lawsuit filed against the NCAA is expected to be settled. Allowing institutions to pay their athletes, likely from a pool of about twenty million dollars per school, could ultimately eliminate some non revenue sports at schools. But yes, schools paying players here in college athletics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I will tell you again, I'm a Division one coach, so I can tell you what it means to us.
Speaker 4: Right. It means to.
Speaker 5: Us is that first thing, the settlement, the non Power four pay pay actually a disproportionate amount. It's crazy Power four schools. Really, the players didn't have any nil value to truly speak of, and yet here we got to pay more money than the Power four schools that have the money. And you might ask yourself, why would you do that?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: The logic is, and again this is what I've been told from levels above that of the coaches, is this is an effort to keep the NCAA tournament together for at least the next they think the next decade, like there will be some changes obviously going forward, and who knows after that, but this, we people think this keeps the Wolves at bay for another decade and that's the pot luck for the NCAA. And the NCAA, by the way, is not some nefarious organization. It's just a member of schools and voting parties. So this keeps the basketball part and the Olympic sports sorted together and figures it out. And then there's basically a salary cap, right, and it's what is it, like fourteen million dollars or something.
Speaker 4: And that's for the power for schools.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you can you have contracts with your student athletes and they have to they have to fulfill nil obligations which can be charity, which can be all your other things. And yeah, you're bringing in house next year. So there's still a lot of questions as to what it looks like, but the belief is that this will be some sort of stabilization against future lawsuits. That's why they're going to the set number of roster spots. I don't know if you know this right that I forget how many what's football get like one ten or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was eighty five and expanded a one oh five.
Speaker 4: I believe that five.
Speaker 5: So what that means is it doesn't mean you have to give out one hundred and five scholarships.
Speaker 4: What it means is you can't do you can't stack the deck.
Speaker 5: Stack the deck with a ton of walk Ons, you know, and give one hundred and twenty walk Ons. And then what people were doing is they're paying those walk Ons scholarships. Paying those walk Ons does so they just keep guys in the program. And the feeling is that, again this is taken from the pro sport model. You can't limit the number of scholarships, but you can limit the roster size and allow each individual school to decide how many scholarships you want to offer within each select sport. So for example, basketball is at thirteen scholarships. Next year we go to fifteen spots. Doesn't mean we have to go to fifteen scholarships. Means we have to go to fifteen spots. And how you allocate those resources is up to you on an individual basis, and again by the lawyers for the NCAA believe this will stop. Won't be a litigation against against the size of the number of scholarships that you can.
Speaker 6: Have, Doug, you are in green Bay. Green Bay will be the host of the NFL Draft coming up in April, but not the only time that the NFL is taking this show on the road. Commissioner Roger Goodell has talked about it. In twenty twenty four, expect games in Brazil. Back in Mexico City, Spain. We found out that Ireland Dublin likely to host the Steelers and Packers, Germany Berlin getting a game next season, and the UK in twenty twenty five, all getting games. Eight international games expected next year for the NFL.
Speaker 5: Well, and it does make sense with the seventeenth game, right. Remember the reason that the NBA is never going to contract the number of games they have Major League Baseball and ever because you have a set number of dates that everybody depends upon for your stadiums, right, and so for the NFL for these stadiums, Like when you're taking away a home game from a city that I mean if in Green Bay, Wisconsin, it is everything, right, millions, but when you added another game and that game.
Speaker 4: That game becomes one you can toy with because.
Speaker 5: It doesn't change the least doesn't change the number of dates in which you have, so it does in fact make sense. And then the other part to it, which this is where this is where Goodell and his crew are genius. It creates new TV revenue because you have you know, off hours of the traditional hours, you know, and that's what they've been able to do. That's how they created all that money than one hundred twenty million dollars from Netflix.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 6: New All Star game format coming to the NBA fourteen Mini Tournament taking place in San Francisco next month.
Speaker 3: Major League Baseball, their show is going to be on the road as well.
Speaker 6: Tokyo comes in Dodgers opening up the season March eighteenth to nineteenth, while the Braves and Reds will play the Speedway Classic at Bristol Motor Speedway.
Speaker 3: And when we watched the All Star.
Speaker 6: Game from Atlanta in July, the players will be wearing their own uniforms from their teams and not the special All Star uniforms, going back to the old way.
Speaker 5: Good I love that that part, Like I don't know, the fourteam NBA thing whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: That's your look ahead the twenty twenty five, which is now here.
Speaker 5: Yeah to look ahead or look latterly or something, all right. Tom Doug gallabees Dan Buyer filling for Dan and the dan Nets. What did we learn from the Fiesta Bowl?
Speaker 4: Right? Penn State dominates Boise State. What we learn that's next? The Rodrick Show