Speaker 1: So I unfortunately have a brand new addiction in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh no, wait, okay, how hold on?
Speaker 3: I wanted let's see we name some of the addictions, because let's talk about Because you say that you have a new one, I would say, walk it exercise.
Speaker 2: For you is an addiction.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Smoking used to be an addiction.
Speaker 4: That was a big one. That was I was also just really good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so good smoking. You could do it in the shower, you could do it while running.
Speaker 5: How many packs a day did you smoke seriously at the height, like.
Speaker 1: At my height, more than one? Between one and two? Yeah, yeah, I was having I mean.
Speaker 5: I was a cigar at every Oh my god, because I'm doing a pack like twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I would have.
Speaker 1: I would have, but I would have probably thirty to thirty five cigarettes a day.
Speaker 2: I would say, Okay, that's so good. You're so good at that.
Speaker 4: I was really good at it.
Speaker 3: Let's see other addictions. Asking people where they live is I would consider maybe an addiction needing to know where everyone's located.
Speaker 1: It's not an addiction so much as just I mean, I could I could quit that anytime I want it.
Speaker 4: Danielle.
Speaker 5: Okay, sure, reading fantasy books.
Speaker 4: Oh, reading fantasy books is a good one. Yeah, reading fantasy books is a good one. Showering, showering so healthy?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, when do you call like, when do you call it an addiction? If it's like correct running or right now right super healthy? And yeah that's okay.
Speaker 3: But I do think the definition of an addiction is something that without it makes your life like not feel as good or as harder. Like so even the running is healthy for you, you can be addicted to the to like I don't feel well if I don't exert that much energy, like the adrenaline rush whatever it is, like the endorphins.
Speaker 2: Uh, so you could technically be did to that.
Speaker 4: But I this one is certainly not healthy.
Speaker 5: Oh this new one?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 4: And I may need your help to break the cycle.
Speaker 1: I have become addicted to awful reddit stories being read on YouTube by bad voiceover actors.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, this is so specific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are I've got titles for.
Speaker 3: You too, Okay, like bad bad reddit stories meaning like something kind of catastrophic happens somebody writes a post or just a stream.
Speaker 6: In some way extreme lots of cheating okay, asshole thing? Yes, like those are a lot of So, for instance, here's some titles for you. I heard my wife saying she didn't want to hug me anymore, so I ignored her forever.
Speaker 1: Oh somehow, by the way, that is a twenty two minute story.
Speaker 4: Honestly that I listened to.
Speaker 2: The entire thing wins in that one? She doesn't want to be hugged? Who wins? Really exactly?
Speaker 1: My parents urged me to forgive my brother for betraying me with my ex wife, then demanded I financially support them in his new family.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, twenty four minutes of my life.
Speaker 5: That doesn't sound real.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure none of these are.
Speaker 1: There's like the Penthouse forums where it's like, oh, really, everybody's having sex with four women a day at.
Speaker 5: Their work, Like all stewardesses are exactly exactly when does the pilot of time to fly the plane?
Speaker 2: Like this?
Speaker 4: This is what's happening.
Speaker 1: So my fiance's pre wedding contract demanded forty percent of my income, so I exposed her at the altar.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you you find these stories, but I'm assuming you.
Speaker 4: Well now they're just on my algorithm. Okay, so that's.
Speaker 2: YouTube channel where we're a voiceover.
Speaker 4: Actor meant but really in.
Speaker 5: Quotes right right, right, Okay, It's like it's just somebody doing a dramatic reading correct if they are the poster.
Speaker 1: Correct without fixing their stumbles or the mispronunciation of words.
Speaker 5: And why do you for hearing it over reading it?
Speaker 1: Because, like I put it, like, what I used to do was educate myself and put on history podcasts and stuff.
Speaker 4: Now I put on these schlockfests of like.
Speaker 1: I got my teacher pregnant and now she wants answers like stuff, and I'm like, oh, you got to listen to that while I.
Speaker 4: Walk my dog.
Speaker 5: So your podcast listening has basically become a daytime talk.
Speaker 2: Show correct absolutely.
Speaker 5: Correct apps like you've just you've just gone to the bottom of the barrel of like yeah, daytime TV. Yeah, you gotta get out. You got to pull yourself out of this tail spend before you Before.
Speaker 3: You do, I have a request, Will you find a bad Reddit story that like you like and then will you read one for us as a bonus episode?
Speaker 1: That was the question I was going to ask, is since I I don't have children, which means I have a ton of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I should just.
Speaker 1: My voiceover skills. Yes, that's what I'm to start my own YouTube channel where I read them well.
Speaker 5: Because you really want to social media back in your life.
Speaker 2: Exactly, that's what I need more.
Speaker 1: It doesn't cause any anxiety, that's the beautiful part of it.
Speaker 5: You won't obsessing over whether people like the performance or not.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean my son got his teacher pregnant. Now she's demanding marriage. But the DNA test results shock everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I need to know that one. But read by Ron mister super Phil Friedel.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Your step brother needs this money more than you, she said with a smirk. Three months later, he came to my office to pitch his startup, only to freeze when he saw.
Speaker 4: Me sitting behind the desk.
Speaker 2: What I don't even understand that headline?
Speaker 4: You you will? You will when I read it.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So hold on, I want to could you do a little bit of a reading for us because I want to know, like how you would do it? Is the because because you like listening to the bad ones, So would you do it as a sort of bad reader or would you commit to it. Shakespeare, you're doing an audiobook of like the Greatest Thing Ever Wrecked?
Speaker 4: That's what I would do?
Speaker 3: You correct their stuffs or like would you pronounce the words as if they're spelled?
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 4: I would probably do it the way that the author intended.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I mean I do.
Speaker 1: Listen to one guy who's the worst who also puts on whenever a woman is speaking, goes like and that's when my wife walked in and said.
Speaker 2: But honey, I'm only walking.
Speaker 5: Down and it's like, oh, it kills audiobook. Ability to do the opposite gender voice is like a major thing, like if you overdo it, because like there are some female readers who I love, and then they go to do every man in the in the book and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, we don't throw you don't just talk. Don't like that.
Speaker 5: And then and then the vice versus exactly what you're talking about, where it's like every female voice is like all said, You're like, what what are you doing? Like people, we get it, you don't have the right, but.
Speaker 4: Just you can just soften or you know you can, you can do it just a hint.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 1: By the way, though a lot I've been realizing from just an educational standpoint, A lot of fiances cheat with somebody's brother.
Speaker 2: This is this is a big thing apparently.
Speaker 5: People don't you know, you don't know that many people. It's like, you know, especially nowadays, it's like you have a thousand friends online, but who do you actually like see on a daily especially during COVID It's gonna be family or slightly extended family.
Speaker 1: And then like, yeah, the writer's already justifying it.
Speaker 2: So you have a nanny that you sleep with. That's not a thing. That's just part of life. One time that okay, Shiloh, I don't you know.
Speaker 4: It's just fine.
Speaker 5: I don't blame the two of them. Now I pay for them to live in there.
Speaker 3: Well, that's.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 5: It's it's part of the family.
Speaker 1: It's how you keep The other great thing about it is they also win AI because AI obviously does a lot of the voices, and so people always start with like, hi, I'm Doug twenty four male and my wife Sarah twenty four.
Speaker 4: But right, but the AI doesn't interpret.
Speaker 5: It so much like Penthouse forms because there's always.
Speaker 2: Been thirty three forty they do right.
Speaker 1: So it always goes like I'm Doug twenty seven meters and my wife Carol thirty five feet she and I, and so it doesn't get the it is.
Speaker 2: Because it's reading text not knowing.
Speaker 5: Yes, all right, let's do it this way. Let's actually produce one of these things.
Speaker 6: I watch music that will do anything, but you and I can do it.
Speaker 5: But you and I could do extra voices if they.
Speaker 2: Read it will say girl, great woman, you just pick a good story.
Speaker 7: Okay, oh well, so you pick up.
Speaker 5: You pick one, and then we will do it and will be popular.
Speaker 1: The record saying we should start smoking too does not help my addiction.
Speaker 2: Comes.
Speaker 5: How can we make money off of it? How can we help you start a social media channel that gets you income.
Speaker 4: That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: I want to be the guy who everybody comes to like, can you please read my am I the asshole story? And I get to sit in this booth all day and just really love that.
Speaker 5: I think it's just the voice of all the like the Civil War documentary and like.
Speaker 4: Oh that was that.
Speaker 5: The guy, the one guy who does.
Speaker 7: Ken Burn.
Speaker 4: I think it was David McCullough, who actually he's.
Speaker 5: A historian himself right, yes.
Speaker 4: And has that amazing voice.
Speaker 1: So I want to be that for kind of the same as a Ken Burns documentary.
Speaker 4: For am I the asshole in love it?
Speaker 3: I love it, Let's do it. I really am very excited about this. It's like we become a rehab that sells drugs. Yes, that's what writers about it.
Speaker 4: It's a brilliant thing.
Speaker 1: It's like the time I walked out of the weed store to see the girl Scout table set up with the cookies right in front of my weed store. It was like, here's a thousand dollars. Yeah, like that's the most brilliant thing in the world.
Speaker 5: Brilliant Girl Scout.
Speaker 4: It is so I okay, great, well, thanks for help with my addiction.
Speaker 2: Thanks for bringing us a great new idea. I'm really excited about it.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to do so.
Speaker 4: We got to come up what should we call it, Let's Reddit.
Speaker 1: Pod meets Reddit's Good or something as to Reddit meets world readit, narrate pod narrates.
Speaker 2: We'll work on these, we'll workshop these, we'll come up with something.
Speaker 4: Am I the PMW. We'll figure something. We'll figure something out. Okay, Well, thanks for the help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome. Thanks for bringing this to us, Thanks for giving us an addiction.
Speaker 2: Will you got it?
Speaker 5: Let's go get a smokes.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Welcome to Pod meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Fischl, I'm rather strong, and I'm will Fredell forty eight meters.
Speaker 3: There hasn't been a week that's passed for over thirty years now that someone hasn't uttered the letters TGI F at me. As much as the names Topanga, Eric and Sean or the show title Boy Meets World have defined our careers, so has that act. A programming block doubling as a marketing campaign that aired on ABC starting in the late eighties and straight through the nineties. Featuring mostly sitcoms, this group of shows was geared to family viewing programs that could be enjoyed by both kids and parents alike. Originally debuting in nineteen eighty nine, ABC committed to funny Friday Nights and evening universally considered comatose for ratings but ripe for experimentation, and boy did it pay off. TGIF would not only become the network tent pole, but it would grow into a cultural juggernaut, changing the medium of television and.
Speaker 2: Viewing habits forever.
Speaker 3: Over a ten year period, the block included hits like Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, and Boy Meets World, with some more fly by Night tenants too, like Where I Live, Sledgehammer, Aliens in the Family, and Clueless.
Speaker 2: But just as.
Speaker 3: Important as these TV shows was the marketing behind the concept. It included creative commercials, eye catching graphics, hundreds of bumpers with tgi F talent in between episodes, and even a disastrous U two concert in an attempt to cross promote these shows. Yeah I was there for that way. Yeah I was supposed to interview Bono, of course, Yes I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: To me.
Speaker 5: They invited us a toy story too.
Speaker 2: I don't think you guys know. I may not have been doing movies in the summer, but guess who.
Speaker 3: Got asked to host all the TGIF bumpers.
Speaker 2: That was me.
Speaker 3: These shows did all have humor in common, but it was the visionary campaign that tied it all together. And so how are ideas like this born? How did Friday go from a virtual TV graveyard to one of the most profitable nights in ABC history. Well, this week we are speaking to the man who did it, the writer and producer from the promotions department whose little idea of TGIF became a phenomenon and started his prolific career of molding TV strategy for decades. He was the man behind the TGIF concept, the visuals, the celebrity segments, the on location shoots. This was his vision and we couldn't be more excited to talk to.
Speaker 2: Him about it today.
Speaker 3: So this week's guest on Podmeats World, welcome the man we should actually be thanking for Friday.
Speaker 2: It's Jim janisek.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: How are you are you?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, look how old you guys are? Young, old guy.
Speaker 4: We finally have an honest guest. This is a bad time.
Speaker 7: That's not true. I've seen I've heard many great things about all your guests that you got.
Speaker 3: Well, we could not be more excited to talk to you today. We have long hoped to speak to a network executive from the late nineties, but never in our wildest dreams did we ever think we'd get the chance to chat with the architect of TGIF.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to first get into how did you start at ABC?
Speaker 7: Good question, It's six degrees of separation. Same kind of thing I always tell people that ask that kind of question. Is when I got to LA. I had worked in on air advertising and marketing in local television in Denver, That's where I was raised and had always wanted to live in LA And immediately, as soon as I could, you know, packed up the car and got out here and started making phone calls. And eventually, you know, I got in front of a gentleman by the name of Stu Brower who was running on at the time, who's a great guy, and he gave me a chance, and I came on board as one of I think there were probably about twelve of us producers at ABC at the time, and I was pretty young. I was I think twenty three, twenty four. And it was a blast. And then, you know, went to work just like everybody else, you know, spending a lot of time on stage in edit base.
Speaker 3: So you were one of twelve producers, were you guys in a particular department.
Speaker 7: Or just we were? So we were in on air. So our job was to promote new shows and make them look appetizing for the people.
Speaker 4: Okay, So and this is the this is the eighties.
Speaker 7: A lot of them were not as easy to promote as Yours was good, Yours was lovely?
Speaker 4: Was this the eighties?
Speaker 7: This was yeah, So this would have been about eighty four, so eighty four, eighty five, eighty six, eighty seven, eighty eight, and TDIF came about around eighty eight eighty eighty seven. I was given the opportunity. So Friday Night used to be what was considered the death slot. And I was this guy, you know, young young producer. They and I was promoting moonlighting and things like that, and it was a summer and was given the opportunity to basically come up with something that would help promote Friday Night and make it appealing. And it was always a mish mash of stuff. They would just kind of put shows there that were on their last legs because the network always believed that most people were out going on dates things like that. That was kind of the attitude at the time. And with me, I was raised basically that we got together on Fridays and Sundays and you know, as a family and often with our cousins, would have dinner and then would you know, sit and watch TV. Specifically on Sunday nights. We would always sit and watch mutual, Omaha's Wild Kingdom, then Disney Sunday Movie, and it was a whole experience that we did together. And so it was summer of eighty seven or eighty eight, I think it was somewhere in that area, and just so happened that there were new bosses in charge, so we had I guess people weren't really paying attention much to us, and so in summer most of us producers were, you know, either vacation because again we were between seasons. We weren't starting to push for fall yet. Okay, so it was a thing where you know, these they gave me these comedies and said, okay, so we have full house, mister Velvet, are perfect strangers and just the ten of us and you know, go And so I basically took a bunch of stuff and made up stories and just started doing crazy things. And so these were cut promos, but we would get some big names doing the voiceovers for us, and we I made up stories like you know, Bob Costello, Burbank, you know, started watching TGIF and suddenly shaved thirty two strokes off as golf game. You know, funny things like that, And so we would and We just did this whole campaign around these made up stories, using stock footage and things like that to try to get attention, and it started to work. We started to get a little bit of attention. Is specifically, my bosses called me and said, I don't know what kind of drugs you're on, but keep going, keep a yeah, as the market. Mark Zachern who was my boss, and he was right under Bob Iger and so it that's how it started. And then Stu Brower and I started really looking at it as Fall came along and said how do we extend that? And being the young kind of ambitious producer I wanted to be and you know, growing again, I was twenty three and my entire goal in life was to be on set as much as possible, So I proposed to them. I said, what if we went to the showrunners And at the time it was millibo At you know, and Tom Miller were the majority of the shows. And then we went to them and said, hey, what if we did these little hosted segments and that you know, they agreed to try it and see if they could. You know, what it would be like, and we would come in after the show, as you know, we'd show up as you were wrapping and you were tired and ready to go home, and you and you guys would graciously sit with us and do something on the couch. And the whole idea was, you know, everyone thought, oh, the couch, that seems so weird, wanted to do, you know, and our whole idea. The idea was to create an arc across the whole night with the different shows, so that no matter what show you were watching, you felt like you were watching with the other shows, that when they were done with their show, they were sitting down and with you at home watching you know, watching the shows. And so yeah, it was just again it was trying to recreate that thing that I did with my childhood. And it started to take and you know, one thing led to another. We got a little bit in trouble with the FCC because they didn't like the fact that we were doing that. We were only allowed to do two and a half minutes I believe it was somewhere like two and a half minutes of promo before each or in each programming block, and they classified this as promo. And so we were like, how do we get how do we sneak around that? And we went back and we said, okay, rather than being promotion, we had to make this more entertaining. We had to crack a few jokes. We had to do that, and then they would qualify this as more more part of the entertainment.
Speaker 5: Sounds like original programming, right.
Speaker 7: So we went back exactly and we went back and we said, okay, how about this, and they said, well, you still can't use a pod and that's why we that was a commercial pod at the time. So that's when we went back to the shows and Miller Boyette was the first to do it, and we said, will you cut twenty to thirty seconds out of your credits each each week and make this happen for us? And they agreed and that was the start. And then you know, it's a long story. I don't mean to go on and on and okay, okay, So ultimately it built from there. We got it started to get a little rocky again because it took a while for this to catch on. It took a good year before it really you know, started to catch and.
Speaker 5: The we started to get away that you know that it's catching on is because of the ratings. Like ultimately you're looking at the numbers things show or how do you it has like a cultural impact?
Speaker 7: That's a great question. And the ratings and the I would call it the inflection point happened about a year later. I don't know if you're familiar, but they would do Q ratings, so they will hold up a picture, you know, do you recognize Danielle? You know who is she? And rather and I don't know if it was with you. I don't recall who they were doing this test with, but they said something to the effect of people would go, oh, yeah, that's the people from tgif right and research research department went crazy and said, we need to cancel this because they've lost the names of the shows. They don't know the names of the shows. And this is where it comes back to I oh, all credit to Bob Iger. He stood in the way and he was like, no, no, no, no, we have a brand. He says, this is something that we're sticking with. And that's when they started really dumping money into it and saying, Okay, now we're going to push and we created you know, original animation and locked in on the name and and so that's kind of the just of how it all came to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's so smard because if you're Bob Iger and you're going, oh, you mean, all the power.
Speaker 2: Isn't with these individual shows. The power is in something.
Speaker 3: Editor show we want in there, and people will still go, oh, it's the new part of tgis so very.
Speaker 7: Very yes, you are exactly right. And it was a neat thing too. For sales. They used to go to ad sales caught onto this and basically said, okay, now we can do tent poling, which is a strategy that's done where they'll take two strong shows like here's Boy Meets World and here's Full House, and we'll put something in between it, or we'll put something just after it and lead it in and test our new pilots. And in advertising, rather than saying you just bought you know, hey, Kellogg's just bought Boy Meets World, Kellogg's wasn't offered Boy Meets World. They were offered TGIF and so the price was the same across the whole arc. So wasn't the case where you got you know, so they were basically leveraging getting a lot more in the revenues to happen.
Speaker 3: So and to your point, then if people are staying in. But if people are staying to watch the whole block partially because there's BTS stuff they're watching the casts do in between the shows, they're also seeing all those commercials in between.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, you are right on target. It's it really became kind of just a neat little FuMO event we would call it. So it was, you know, fear missing app and it was one of those things that the kids would drive mostly. That's why we'd use you know, we'd often use the younger cast members to do the promotions and it worked. It seemed to just catch on and keep going. So it went on for I think ten years.
Speaker 1: So now, what was what was the first I mean, I know the entire night took off, but what was the first hit show from TJF.
Speaker 4: Was it Perfect Strangers?
Speaker 7: If you ask me, yes, So full House took a little longer, and Full House didn't always want to be on Friday night. They were really pushing for Tuesday night and it, you know, I don't know necessarily why, but ultimately Full House became kind of that early anchor because it's skewed to the youngest. Personally, I loved Perfect Strangers because they were geniuses and just unbelievable. We deliver scripts to them and they'd be like, oh, that's nice, and then they come back with these incredible limericks and rhymes and fun things, and I just I was like, they were so much fun. You guys too, were so you guys were always the best to work with. Was never a no or anything. And I remember, Danielle, when you and I went to you two, I want.
Speaker 2: To get into that story.
Speaker 7: We just.
Speaker 5: Always been a fan of you too. Personally.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know me too. I don't know Sandy Christmas was behind that or.
Speaker 2: Who was Sandy.
Speaker 7: Sandy Christmas remember that, Jesus sweetheart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's Miss Sandys.
Speaker 3: When ABC just recently, within the last five years or so, did a little bring back of t G I f U, they asked me to do a commercial.
Speaker 2: They brought me back to do a commercial and Sandy and Christmas was there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Andy, just a couple of weeks ago. She's a sweetheart. She's retired now, but just the love of the life. She was kind of the mama bear of the department who kept us all straight. We were all young, egotistical, you know, producers, and she'd be the one coming and going. You're not doing that, even though she was kind of assisting us. She was just the greatest of people. So loved her and she loved connecting people. She was great with folks. So I remember her and I doing a special where we we had one day to shoot a special with Delta Burke and Mark Curry and we had the back lot of Warner Brothers to our avail and she and I loaded up a golf cart with cameras and just were running like crazy all over the place get things done. And you know, Sandy is the type that would walk up to anybody, Hey, you you come over here, you know, can I talk to you? So it was great. It was lots of fun.
Speaker 3: Where did the name TGIF come from? And I want to know if there were other options that you remember being pitched around. So it is not thank God it's Friday. It is thank goodness, it's funny. That's what TGIF stands for. Thank Goodness, It's funny. So where did that come from? And what were some other options you guys had?
Speaker 7: So we were talking about things like the Friday Fun Club. There's a whole list somewhere I probably could dig up, but I remember that one. You know, It's Friday Night, lots of little shortism, and I don't recall exactly where it came from. We had that was on our list. We were concerned about the restaurants at the time coming at us, you know, and so we weren't really sure, but I do remember I was standing at five to five posts or something. We did our first animation, which kind of was kind of more childlike, with a little mouse called Friday the Mouse, which was it was. We were animating that with a guy by the name of Bob Kurtz who runs a company. I don't know if he's still around, but Bob Kurtz and friends did the original commercials for Shell and for It's the Green Dinosaur. It was a green animated green dinosaur for a gas and oil company, and the line was, remember some dinosaur gave his or her all for that tank of gas and I and he and he'd always this little animated dinosaur and I love that dinosaur as a kid. So I was like, I need to find this guy. So that's we had hired, and I was with him. We were animating the open and then Stu Brower and Bob Iger called and said, we've landed on TG if we want to call TJF. So that's where we got the name, and we started animating those letters into the open and went from there. But we were literally standing by in a post house about to execute on that because time was taken. So that's where the name came from. It was and and Bob, I believe, came up with, Thank goodness, it's funny to avoid any conflict, Yeah, with any any restaurants.
Speaker 1: And wait, so, just to get my television history right, Just the Ten of Us was a spin off of Perfect Strangers.
Speaker 7: I don't know that's a spun.
Speaker 1: From something because the coach was it was it was a character on another Yes he was, he was. I can't remember which one it was. That then spun off into Just the Ten of Us.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, Rachel, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And Just the Ten of Us was Mister Belvedere was was waning, and Just the Ten of Us was also kind of on its last season just when we were were coming in, and then it went to Perfect Strangers. Full House. You folks came in ninety three, I think it was something like that, right, yeah, which was great. You're you were you hit right at the Prime and where we were rocking and rolling and you were the perfect show for it. It just, you know, it just nailed it because you had all the family values, the kids that you know, the high school. You were right on target. So it was a no brainer to have Boime's World there.
Speaker 5: And so I have a question about the network in general. Did you have a sense of the network having a personality or a sort of like ideal viewer, like because ABC, I mean our corner of ABC was very much family, but was there did you guys have like meetings where you were like who is our ideal consumer? Who's who's watching? And like what is AB? How is ABC different than NBC or Fox? Did you guys know what that was and what that meant?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's sort of it's a you know people. Again, when we were part of Cap Cities, which I think we had become Disney right around I'm not sure when Disney came in, but I think early.
Speaker 4: On ninety six, wasn't.
Speaker 7: It, Yeah somewhere, but we were part of caps Cities initially, so and Cap cityse Murphy and Burke were really genuine people and would allow us to come to Century City and be parts of these meetings. The entire network was only eight hundred people, so that was it. We were, you know, the whole and most of them were in the field, so like you know, the fourth floor in Century City was where the power was. And you know, there were program execs as you know, you've been there. You guys were, I'm sure in those offices at the time, and that you know, that was really it. And then there were the producers in the field like myself and on air, and the people running operations over in prospect a lot and it so it was very much a family. We all knew each other pretty well and you know, would run across each other in the hallways. There was always the question of who, you know, we were because at that time they were kind of thematically broadcasting depending on what night of the week you were at. So you know, there was dramas on certain nights. You know, Moonlighting was more adult. Okay, so that was Tuesday night and that was where they put you know, Tuesday night comedies and things that had a little more adult theme to them. You know, they were I think Jack and Mike things like that were over there. It was more of a mystery you know movie or mystery show. It was interesting because it's a funny story. I got in trouble once when I got invited to one of those programming things, which was it wasn't I wouldn't call it big trouble, but like it. You know, we're around the table of about thirty of the top exacts there and one the gentleman John Scias, who was like a huge he was way up at the top of uh of the power chain, was talking and said, you know that we were talking about NBC because that was the big threat. You know, NBC was NBC was the hip place, so talk about that fomo you know, ABC of course was I won't you know, I want this and I want to be cool exactly enough of this family, that was exactly it. There was always that, and we even knew the people, you know, Tom you know uh Miller John Miller over was running NBC's uh uh marketing department. We all were friends and knew and Vince Mansie and all those folks. But everyone wanted to be everyone else, and CBS was always the Tiffany network, and it was always the you know, the older people, and so it was that battle for that eighteen to thirty five that everybody thought they wanted it, and you know, we weren't looked down upon it all for TJF because it became such a powerhouse. It kind of became a hands off thing, which was great. But I was like, you, Danielle, I was kind of like, this is the American Broadcasting Company, and it should be you know, it should be family, family, family. We could really nail this. And I made the comment in this meeting, I was like, aren't we the American broadcast You know, they were talking about pasting broadcasting and you know, all the different dimensions of it, and I said, shouldn't we That cable wasn't really barely there, you know, there was MTV and stuff like that. But I made the comment, I said, so, why aren't we considering maybe narrow casting a little bit toward a very specific audience like a lot of these so called cable networks are starting to do. And John Syas looked at me and he goes, young man, because this is the American Broadcasting Company, not the narrow casting fucking.
Speaker 4: Go stand in the corner.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 8: Away.
Speaker 7: I don't think. I don't I don't think I got invited back to that meeting.
Speaker 8: Oh but it was because this was also I mean, this was the time if if eighteen thirty five, eighteen to thirty.
Speaker 1: Five is what everybody was was clamoring for, but also ninety three ninety four the Fox network comes out of nowhere and you've got children on this Simpsons and they're going for that kind of It's like they were really shooting towards that demographic. So everybody, it really made everybody kind of have to hone their identity because it's like, okay, now we're young and hips, so you're going to push NBC more to the middle.
Speaker 4: So then where do you go from there?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 4: What a street.
Speaker 5: It's a really good question because what for cable networks, being specific was exactly the way to go, Like you had to be the channel just for one type of audience because if you could build that fan base, you could continue. But yeah, for network MTV simple, it's still a huge I mean now streamers are asking themselves this all the time, right because it's like, are you a Netflix where you just try and be the channel for everybody or everything?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so interesting, it's such a big question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it is a fascinating thing, and you know, to this day is still a battle people have of trying to find their audience. And I'm kind of a big believer that you can't please everybody all the time, and you know, you have to kind of focus on what you can do. And I'm also a big believer in stuff I do now that family is that one place that still has a lot of opportunity. You know, I don't want to sit on the couch, even though my daughter is now twenty three, I don't want to sit on the couch if I had younger ones, yeah, and watch something and have them start to crack super sexual jokes or something like that. I just I don't want to be uncomfortable with that. I want something that's easy to watch and comfortable and fun. And you know that's it. So it's uh, I mean, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Was truly the first, because even Must See TV came after. Like it's like you you invented the idea of labeling you're a night night or a block as something to promote itself for a network. So it's it's like, it's so it's so genius how ABC. I mean, maybe they have, but I feel like ABC owes you forever and ever.
Speaker 7: And ever, that's very very kind. And I don't know if I was, if I was before Musty TV, but I I know. I mean, obviously, Vince and John you know, did a fantastic job promoting that, and that was the Thursday night block that was unpenetrable and they they were great and so we it's it was fun. I thank you for the nice comments. And ABC did very were They treated me very well. I stayed with ABC and Disney for through two thousands doing all kinds of things. So when I had babies, they called me and said, we want you to do Big Einstein and I was like, that's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Can we talk a little bit about I think we pushed it off long enough? How did you not get invited to this you two thing?
Speaker 4: And what the hell do you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And how is Danielle friends with Bono? And we didn't know this the entire time?
Speaker 7: What what happened with this?
Speaker 2: The story of the U two shoot?
Speaker 7: The U two shoot? So it uh, you know, obviously we get called and we're like, so, you know, you two's launching their new pop album in Vegas and Student's like you want to go? And you know, maybe we'll pull in one of the talent. Let's see if we can do that. And I apologized I was not behind the decision of who got to go, don't. I don't know I would if so we we I don't remember how I think, I know, you know, Danielle, your your your mom or your agents responded right away and said she loves him, like okay, So we we go out there and we're getting ready and it's it's it was a semi live thing. We were racing the clock and uh it was So that was a kind of a first for us. We were used to filming something about a week in advance and being able to take it to post and turn it around. And so we had editors standing by and a satellite window sitting open, and so, you know, we basically were ready and you know, we're in the tent getting ready. I don't remember the All I remember is there were you know, a bunch of stars around us, and we were getting food or something and getting ready and we were going to go into the tent with Bono and Edge and you know, have them do these little bits like you guys do, and they were all in on it. And then at the last minute. They because they were premiering I think their their record and stuff. They tell us they're like, we're not going to we don't have time, we don't want to do this, and so we're like, ah, yeah, so you did, I did. I did. She got to go in the tent and meet them and and you know, so that was great where I'm so glad you did that because that would have sucked store to speak, I apologize, but but anyway, then she came out and by then we kind of formulated, Okay, here's what we're going to do. So you and I and our photographer ran to the back of the stands and basically I told Danielle, Okay, now now pretend you're hosting that just it's about to happen and go live blah blah. And so we I don't remember what the script was, but we wrote something pretty quick and you pulled it off. You did a great job. And we turned the camera around and it made it look like she was reporting live from the concert venue.
Speaker 3: Do you picture like if you picture like the Hollywood Bowl and being like, okay, we're not ready to interview people who were going on.
Speaker 2: Stage at the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 3: And then I'm going, never mind, we don't want to We're about ready to do this.
Speaker 2: We're canceling it at the last second.
Speaker 3: And then Jim and I looking at each other and him going all right, let me put something together. Run to the top of the Hollywood Bowl stairs with the Hollywood the Bowl behind you, and.
Speaker 2: You're gonna say like, we're here, but you too. He was about ready the pop and blue and we did. I said, somebody, it was like take it away at the start of the show.
Speaker 7: That was exactly. It was the greatest save and got lots of lots of kudos. I hope you've heard them too. The network was very happy. They were not disappointed at all.
Speaker 2: So no, they weren't disappointed. They were really happy.
Speaker 4: It was only Rider and I were disappointed.
Speaker 2: It's funny because it was a.
Speaker 7: Good Yeah, you guys could have been you got I am again. I'm never to live that one down, I guess.
Speaker 4: So we didn't even know about it until ten minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, until I'm shaking Bono's hand. I'm not I'm not excited.
Speaker 2: Listen, guys. It was the Q rating.
Speaker 7: It was the that's when she walked in it, when she walked in. You know, Bono went You're the girl from TG.
Speaker 2: So funny.
Speaker 7: It was a very fun concert. It was It was super cool because we had good seats too. They were right there pretty much, if I recall, they were up there in front.
Speaker 5: So was there a big shift when Disney bought the network? Did it change the did it change your job? Did it change your day to day experience? What did that mean?
Speaker 7: There were you know, there were always shifting chairs Disney. You know, there was a lot of fear when Disney came in that there was gonna be big, big shifts in that front. But really, for the most part, they didn't mess with us too much. Obviously programming, and part of it is because Bob continued to lead, and so it was, you know, it was Bob's network basically at the time, and he held that pretty pretty close to heart, and the people around him, Stut Bloomberg, all those folks, you know, were the next in line to continue that on. So didn't get a lot of that. I noticed, at least a lot. I mean, there were a few new bosses and programm execs that came in, but to me, Disney was all about family. So I was kind of like, okay, we do yeah, yeah, and so and it did. It worked very well. We were able. The coolest thing that I think happened when Disney came in was the idea of synergy. There wasn't a lot we while we as a night were all about synergy and talking about other shows and helping promote one another, the network as a whole, and other shows that were not necessarily about that or hadn't really learned to do that. And when when the Disney came in, then all of a sudden, we have theme parks, we have cruise lines, we have you know, these other movies that they're doing that we can suddenly you know, latch onto and do co promotions with and had a lot more money to work with. Yeah exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Were you also helping to decide what shows were on T G I F Were you?
Speaker 4: Were you actually picking the content that went on the night.
Speaker 7: We didn't get that much that was in the programming department's decision. We were involved in meetings like that, so they you know, we got to hear and and you know, hear the meetings and go through some of the pitches and stuff like that. So but I would they listen to exactly what we thought. No, I wouldn't necessarily.
Speaker 5: Does that mean that you would have to be promoting something and knowing it was probably not going to catch on? That that would often happen, right Like you would be saddled with a show and they'd be pitching you and You're like, how do I promote this? This is a stinker that must have happened, right.
Speaker 7: Oh, just a few times.
Speaker 5: Were you ever surprised? Were you ever like this is probably not okay? Could could you? Because that will be Can you name a successful where you were like, I don't get that.
Speaker 7: I will get in trouble if I say it, but I will say it because I'm nearly retired anyway, and I probably deserve this. So in one of those big round table meetings, and I've admitted this to to you know, Bob Boyette and Tom Miller before, and I've even to the cast so full house, I was one of the guys in the meeting. We were in the meeting programming meeting, and they were talking about the queues and all this stuff. And again I was young and just learning my roots, and I was and t g if was barely even there. I don't think that had even been recognized that much yet. But I just was like, I didn't get it. I was just like I because I had been on set and I watched them feed the little you know, feed Ashley and Mary Kate Lynes and love them. I mean I worked with them a ton afterwards, and they were, you know, they're nothing but sweet. The whole cast was wonderful, and I just didn't get it. And I was just like, I don't I don't think they can act. I don't think they can do the you know. It just wasn't feel it didn't feel right. And this was their season one and it did take them two seasons to catch on. But that's my big oops, I would say.
Speaker 1: And that's also in television allowed a show to grow though it's like, Okay, the show is not going really well, Well, we're still going to give.
Speaker 4: It a season or two.
Speaker 1: That just doesn't absolutely get an episode now when you're out well, but.
Speaker 5: That's what TGIF could afford. I mean, that's part of it. Like the risk mitigation for the network is also artistically for the creators. Risk mitigation like that allows them the chance to like to grail around for a couple episodes, get their act together and figure out how to you know, how to make it. Yeah, it's really everybody wins. It seems like in that situation.
Speaker 7: That was the idea was the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. That was our line, as we would if we worked together, we would all do it. And that became part of the contract if you joined t G. If you weren't allowed to say I can't, I'm not doing that, you know you basically you had to be part of the family, so to speak, and do things with us.
Speaker 3: Well. I also want to talk about you mentioned it with the U two one where it could have been a disaster a shoot, but we saved it. It wasn't a disaster a shoot in the end. But I do want to know do you have any stories of true disaster.
Speaker 5: I want to know who refused to do the TJ But I would love to hear a story of somebody. You don't have to say, I want to hear what this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Dinosaurs was very difficult to work with. Kid they were, but that was you know, that show was very difficult to do. I mean poor people, those poor people would be throwing up in the suits because they were so hot and they were just doing things they were and the sets were you know, these immense things. So so no, we didn't have anything. I would say, you know, some of the craziest, funniest things would happen when you know, like shooting with the Muppets. The Muppets would you know, call us out and you know off camera those guys can be hilarious. Start calling you out. Yeah, I start calling you out on things you have gonzo bitch and etches, stuff like that, you know. So I'm trying to think of other things. We didn't really have big disasters, you know, nothing. Camp Wilder could sometimes get a little crazy. J Moore is a nut, you know, I don't know, you know Jay and so, and we had him for a season work working with us and he was kind of like herding cats and you know he was but good guy. You know he did he meant nothing but good. But definitely, uh, I.
Speaker 2: Would say, difficult talent.
Speaker 7: Besides Danielle, I got those guys. Let's see, I don't really think we did. I mean, we had some that didn't want to do things, but that's about it. I mean I think about it now and I'm like, God, you know, Patrick Duffy and Suzanne and Summers were always in for things. They would always be willing. You guys were always willing. You know Karen Miller, who you probably also. I don't know if you know Karen. I think Sandy would integrate with you. But Karen was on the side of Miller Boyett, and she was kind of what I would She was the Sandy or the the the peacekeeper, you know, whenever she would feel about what's going on in the shows. Because we knew you had some shows that were difficult, and so we would try to stay away from you when you were in you know, a heavy production that you had something going that you couldn't So we would always navigate that through you know, Sandy or through Karen Miller to get you know, to get the right cast. So often when people would turn us down, it was because it was a crazy week or something was way off, or someone might be sick or you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Now, who would decide who would go with whom?
Speaker 1: Because we had Jalil White on and we figured out as we were sitting here, like T Boy Meets World and Family Matters never did promos together, and he said, it's because that they were owned by Warner Brothers and we were owned by Disney, so they were never allowed We were never really allowed to connect.
Speaker 4: Is that something you remember or was that done by design?
Speaker 7: No, it wasn't done by design. We would have probably loved to mix cast like that. And part of it was because of how things were getting paid, so you know, the network wasn't the network was reimbursing studio for cost and Warner Brothers was obviously the one studio and so you know, for the hour two hours ot that we might pull, that was more the issue than anything as how do they mix. Now, when we did preview specials and things like that, we would try to mix a little bit and you know, get them. But and I completely forgotten how that you can bring up family matters. I mean they were great. We had some you know, there were some conflicts on that show a little bit, but they would always get through them and and do things, so it wasn't it wasn't horrible.
Speaker 5: I remember doing the tg IF spots was my first experience with a teleprompter. Oh, I remember, like it was really yeah, well yeah, because I was twelve or thirteen years old. I remember like them rolling in the thing and putting.
Speaker 7: In I was like, oh my god, so weird. It makes life much easier. Does so weird?
Speaker 5: Though I hated it, I remember hate it. I was like, no, I just want to learn the lines. I don't want to have to look at it. It's so weird.
Speaker 7: I love you guys, did good. I never you never knew it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know you were made to be a good host. This is why you got a good telegraphs.
Speaker 2: Well it is. I do remember. I do remember.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I do remember back in the day when I got because I got asked to do a lot of them. I did a lot of interstitials, a lot of little things for for tg IF, and I remember them saying, you're really good at it, and you're super fast. We could get in and out, we could shoot a bu bunch of different interstitials all in one time. And I was because I was quick at reading off the teleprompter. I was a you could throw me into any situation.
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 4: Always also talk fast.
Speaker 2: I talked fast.
Speaker 3: I have a bunch of I had tons of energy.
Speaker 2: Energy, it's all there.
Speaker 7: I don't think we ever had to had to say hey, can you kinda We never had to say energy, can you can of just make it like you're having fun?
Speaker 2: Well, we did not.
Speaker 3: It was interesting to hear you talk about reimbursing the production. We did not get paid for those.
Speaker 2: Those were part of.
Speaker 3: That was just it was considered promo, even though you guys went to the FCC.
Speaker 2: Additional stuff.
Speaker 3: But let me tell you something, We did not know that. But let me tell you something. When I started getting asked to do more and more of these interstitials, and I got to a point where I just said I don't want to.
Speaker 2: It was always on a weekend.
Speaker 3: It was like it was an extra day out of my schedule where they would want me to go and do something. You guys, we did a thing where we went to Danielle's hometown, We went to your Belinda, we did I was doing a lot of them, and I just started saying, no, like, these are a lot of them, and so my mom's this is the.
Speaker 7: One I couldn't talk about being in trouble, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the one you forgot, the one the one I forgot that I.
Speaker 7: Couldn't bring up of them.
Speaker 3: Went to Judy and said, I don't know what to do because they want daniel to do these and I feel bad because it is it's a day out of Danielle's schedule. She's it's usually or we would do it on a hiatus week when I'd be back at my regular school and I would just want to be at my regular school.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm on hiatus, I want to go back.
Speaker 3: And so they said, what if we paid her? What if we paid her a very what Eventually I did?
Speaker 5: They said on YouTube, we were also not getting.
Speaker 7: If you were on set, you didn't get I did not.
Speaker 2: That's colt.
Speaker 3: If I was on set, I did not. If I was off set, I did, and my mom. So then my mom came to me and said, okay, they're going to pay you. And I you know, I never saw any of my money. My money all went into an account, and so I was like, so what does this mean to me?
Speaker 2: Not even just who can account?
Speaker 7: My parents?
Speaker 3: Like my mom was like, all right, whatever the interstitial money is, I'll let you have it.
Speaker 2: It can be Madli.
Speaker 3: And she would give me like say I'd get paid seven seven hundred and fifty bucks or something for the day of whatever it was. She just give me seven hundred and fifty bucks and I'd go to coffee Bean and I'd get.
Speaker 2: To go in all yeah, and I was like, this is amazing. This is more money than teenage Danielle had ever seen.
Speaker 7: And so it was awesome.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 2: It ended up making it for me my coffee be fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great story, that's great story. That is that is awesome. Yeah, and I don't you know, I know they tried the best always to make sure no offense. Guys. I mean, I'm sure if you'd come off set and done something, it would have gotten you would have gotten paid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 3: I also made fifty percent less than every other cast member on the show. Actually, yeah, so the fact that I got paid a little seven hundred and fifty or fifteen hundred dollars here and there is Yeah, it was. It was just a little thing. So you mentioned preview specials. We are actually about ready to do a recap soon. But did you do the Boy Meets World Saturday Morning cartoons.
Speaker 2: Preview or yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we did. Yeah, those were us the we all that kind of fun post work. And I know you were paid on those. Yeah, yeah, but you had to be because that came through my company actually, but yeah, we were. When TJF became a hit, Jenny Treis, who was president at the time of Children's called and wanted us to do a lot of interaction and try to pull a cast because the Gauge group was just a little younger at Saturday Morning than it was what we were getting on Fridays. So we were we asked to get involved with all those and come up with things, ways to promote new Saturday Morning things, stuff like that.
Speaker 8: So yeah, so wait, can I ask a question then, and maybe you know this, Why did TGIF end?
Speaker 4: Was it just ratings? I mean, why did it go away?
Speaker 7: Good question? And you know, for me, I had done some things where I again it had gotten a pretty you know, I don't know. They again new powers come in and they want a fresh look and I remember that they and no offense to them because you know, they got new marketing execs in that took over when Mark Zachran left. I think Bob Iger had moved on to his new powers, and they hire an agency, Chaia Day, which was the hip agency. Again, this was the fomo things at the time, and shayat Day got really deeply involved in things and changed everything to Yellow and Black, and it was kind of an interesting turn of events.
Speaker 3: Promotions on your Couch, Your Friends, the couch your Friend, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good for you, you know.
Speaker 4: Couch potatoes, the world, all that stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly exactly. And so they were edgy and different and all that stuff. But they came in and made a lot of dramatic changes on the programming side too, and suggestions there. And I don't know if it helped or hurt at all. I mean, it's kind of hard to how to track. But part of the deal was, you know, I think they had gone, oh, we're kind of tired of this, and you know, maybe we should try something different. And I think we were twelve years in and I was getting offers to do some other things too, and I was just like, you know, I again, it wasn't while I loved every bit of it, we weren't making huge money on it either, yeah, and so we were kind of like, Okay, maybe we should start moving a little more into programming. And so they turned it over to some other folks in house at ABC, and I think they kind of died there because they just did not because they didn't do a good job. But it just wasn't you know, it wasn't the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you started there at twenty three. How old were you when you eventually left ABC.
Speaker 7: I left ABC pretty early on and started my own company. So that's an interesting story too. So I when TGIF was starting to hit big, I happened to my mom had gotten very sick with Parkinson's and so my mom and dad were back in Colorado, and I was kind of like, and at the time, I was dating a young lady who also was from Colorado who was not loving. She worked for Columbia Pictures, for the president of Columbia Pictures, and was not having fun.
Speaker 1: So glad you said that the way you said it was like I was dating a young woman who was not loving.
Speaker 9: I was like, oh God, she wasn't loving her job, she wasn't loving, wasn't loving her job, and and so and we all were kind of you know, going to la Is is tough, and so with the sickness of my mom, I kind of started to push and go, I really should be back there with them, And I went to Bob Iger, I went to Mark Zachron and Stub Brower, my boss, and said, I you know, I think I'm going to have to leave because of this is going on.
Speaker 7: And they marched me into Bob Iger's office and I was like, oh crap, I'm going to get it. And basically, you know, we talked about a couple of different things, and this is how great those people are. Bob looked at me and said, rather than do that, why don't you start your own company and we will, you know, put you under a contract. And that's what they did. And it went on for for almost twenty years. So it's they were They were great, and so you know, I owe a lot to them for being you know, respectful and kind on that part. So I did go back to Colorado and flew out almost every week or you know, the shoots and stuff like that, and then did my edit and worked back in Colorado because there were a number of sizeable posthouses there and could do that. So it ultimately all worked out. And then and now I'm back in La with my wife, a different, different girl that lay He's awesome and she she we moved to Sant Clementy and so we have a place in Colorado and in San Clementy and we just live in a good life.
Speaker 2: So I love that. Good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cable reactions when you tell them that you created the tgif block do, people must like lose their minds about that.
Speaker 7: I don't tell them, you don't, I don't sit.
Speaker 5: I've got to brag more.
Speaker 7: I don't brag. I don't. I don't tell them unless they ask or look me up. And so I'm not a I'm kind of shy about that and not. You know, it was a product of a lot of people. It took a lot of collaboration, including you guys to make it all happen, people to agree, you know, to pull some strings and be willing to give some of their time to make it go. So it was a wonderful what would I call it, a wonderful circum you know, or unique come together of events that just turned into something incredible. And I was very blessed to be part of it. So it was neat. I kind of wish I had leveraged it a little more down the road, but I you know, I didn't. I just kept going with what came my way and you know, promoted. I didn't use it enough to get meetings.
Speaker 2: Probably would like to meet with you, Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: I never used that and I I so I never you know, but I did get to go work for NBC some and Vince and Tom and you know, do different things for a number of people. Helped launch Hallmark and all kinds of fun.
Speaker 2: And that was all Jenask Media. That's your media company, right.
Speaker 7: Janask Entertainment and Jens Entertainment or Janasach Media. Yeah. But yeah, I got to work with a lot of great folks. I mean, we you know, one thing would lead to another. When I was back in Colorado, I met the founder of Stars who has become a good friend in his family, and we helped launch Stars, and then that led to Hallmark, you know, and Hallmark was launching and I met Margaret Lesh and Lenn Marino and helped do that and just one thing goes to another, you know, the Baby Einstein stuff. It's like, you just kind of that was weird how that one happened. It's just they had heard that I had twins, and my twins were like, you're like eighteen months old. They had Jenny Trias had had me introduced to the people who were doing DVDs at the time at ABC, and ABC was competing, you know, to get DVDs out there that was the big market at the time, and they asked me to come in and try to develop something to knock off this brand that was was being a pain in their butt on the shelves. They couldn't compete with the shelf space. And they showed it to me and it was Baby Einstein and they were like, this is really doing well and we need to figure out why. And so I looked at it, and this was before I had kids, and I was like, oh my god, what is that? And I couldn't understand it, couldn't get it. And then a year and a half went by they didn't do anything with what we had proposed, and I got a call from the head of Home Entertainment and she said, hey, I want you to I heard you had twins and you know, having dark circles under my eye and yeah, I heard you had twins, and hey, congratulations. And by the way, that brand that we were talking to you about, we just bought it and would you come in and look at that and see what did it? And so I met with the original creators, who were genius in their effort. And you know, Julie Clark and her husband had generally had basically taken it from their heart and their envisioned you know, ideas and created this thing that became crack for babies. And you know, then they and they showed me how to you know what it was about. There's there's a lot in timing and there's probably more brain damage in one of those shows than what you would ever think of going into other things because of timing and heartbeat tracking and all this other stuff that we would do. And but and then so my job was to take it to the next level, add bigger puppet shows do things which I love puppets because I was working with the muppets and all those things, so you know, I'll fit. So I worked. It was fun. Wow.
Speaker 3: Well, Jim, you are going to see in the comments when we post this on social media, but there are going to be a lot of people who are going to thank you for your work and for your ideas. It was really great and gracious of you to come and spend a little bit of time with us talking about this.
Speaker 2: You know, working with you doing those promos. It's such like when we've.
Speaker 3: Talked since starting the podcast about the things we remember the most, it's actually not the stuff that's the shooting of the show necessarily, it's all it's us, us.
Speaker 2: In the school room and also us doing the promos.
Speaker 3: I have so many memories of TGIF promos and of us saying you know from they were. They were fun, even if it was we're going to cram this in. We know your go, go go, you gotta get in.
Speaker 2: Thanksgiving, you guys.
Speaker 7: Did fantastic and you always nailed it in one or two takes. It was you were always just amazing and so and it's so cool to see you guys. I just and I love that you remember me. I they probably don't, you guys.
Speaker 3: The minute I saw your picture, it was like the name. I was like, yeah, I know that name. And then the minute I saw your picture, I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: Of course I remember him, remember him and Danielle. Just quickly I saw you're directing something coming up right? Are you something right now doing? Remind me what it was.
Speaker 2: I just saw a year fifteen years for ABC.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, awesome for you, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It was a really wonderful experience. You know, hoping they had ten in their first season. I'm really hoping we get words soon that they'll be getting a season two and hopefully a full order, and when that happens, I'm hoping I'll be back.
Speaker 7: That's awesome. It's Tim Allen show, right, Yeah, yeah, I worked with him once. Filming with Tim Allen was always fun. He was he was crazy, so we had it. We did a promo with him getting abducted but by a UFO and then brought back because they didn't want itsious.
Speaker 2: That's great, So that's funny.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell Jonathan it was so nice talking with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being here with absolutely.
Speaker 7: I hope we'll see you in person some days. Yeah, and I love watching your careers blossom. Yeah. I mean, you guys have done amazing things.
Speaker 2: And lets me do you too, concert going.
Speaker 4: Up there?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, let's go.
Speaker 7: To the sphere they were Yeah right, that's cool. I haven't done that yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: Too. By he was there, I mean he was there for like, first of all, hearing that all of ABC is like eight hundred people, because you thought it was thousands on thousands of this army of people that so to realize it was actually kind of small and spread out throughout the country and there's meetings with just twenty people.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Help help Bob Iger, saying to him, don't quit, Yeah, start a company, company and let us hire you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think there's has been as successful as see.
Speaker 4: Yes, let's get him on the show. I think I bet you Bob will come on the show.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I would love to have Bob on the show.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine? Oh, Man, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: But also, like Jim Janisek gave so and he should, he gave so much credit to Bob, and he to all of ABC, but like cam ABC for ten years because of that twenty three year old kid they hired, Yeah, owned a night of television.
Speaker 2: Yeah for a decade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was there, Musty TV. It was there Thursday that Friday was. I remember moving out to to when I moved out to La with Spencer, who worked at Fox the time, and Fox was just up and coming. He said to me they had a meeting where they said, oh, we don't even worry about planning Friday nights. ABC owns Friday Night just like you just never get it, he said, we did. We're not even gonna bother and so I just yeah, it was a juggernaut.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean we're talking billions of dollars in revenue yep for ABC because because that twenty three year old kid.
Speaker 2: Was like, you know what my family used to do. We used to sit around and watch TV as a family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm pitching to ABC doing a TGIF night. We do one Friday night where all the casts get back together and do like a scene from one.
Speaker 4: Of their shows now at the age we are now, and.
Speaker 1: We just do a brand new boy meets World scene, a brand new full house scene, a brand new family matter scene. You get the perfect strangers.
Speaker 4: Guys back together. It'd be a whole night. It'd be just one a ton of fun.
Speaker 5: What kind of weird issues does that involve?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 5: Like with who knows? Of the shows?
Speaker 4: Yeah, who knows?
Speaker 5: Can you get the rights to like play the characters in a different meme?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean ABC has done this thing now where they're doing live.
Speaker 1: Episodes of like all the old shows with brand new casts like All in the Family and all this kind of stuff, So they're thinking outside the box.
Speaker 4: Maybe who knows?
Speaker 2: Pretty great?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you all for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram Pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And We've got merch.
Speaker 4: I went to my two best friends with a new addiction and now I'm pregnant with their merch.
Speaker 3: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com will.
Speaker 2: Right you want to know?
Speaker 5: No, you get pregnant with merc.
Speaker 1: Eggst You gotta listen to the new channel who's will check us out.
Speaker 4: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Podmeets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com