Speaker 1: He's sad.
Speaker 2: Your legs, the girls frizy s there we will sit in tows the Gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome back to the Just Baseball Show. It is Wednesday, February twenty second, and we continue our top tens, but now we're taking a slight detour. Instead of individual players, we're judging double play combinations. We got and we have the writer of this article. These are his rankings that don't get mad at Rham and I specifically. But at the same time, we do back these rankings and you can find them on Just baseball dot com. The top five double play combinations. We're going to go through honorable mentions. We're going to debate. It's going to be a fun show. Ryan, you are the host, well you also are the managing editor at Just Baseball dot com, but you are the host of the new podcast on the Just Baseball network, and that is Who's Better Baseball. I was just on a debate with you NL West versus NL East. I love the show. It's a debate show. We love the debate, so we decided to bring that on here. How are you doing, my friend doing good?
Speaker 2: Doing good?
Speaker 1: I think Peter told me he waxed me in that conversation. You guys can go back to watch it. I don't know about that. You know, I think that you're just a little bit more aggressive, but I'm more level headed.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: People can go back and look at it. You know. I think Peter's always going to think he wins that end debate, but I think it was a good conversation. We'll find up at the end of the year who actually won it. When the NL East wins more games in the West, it all comes down to arms Marlins. Can they win seventy five games? That was the big thing.
Speaker 2: The hell you want to die on? Brother?
Speaker 1: You had our last year.
Speaker 3: So before we get into the rankings, I have to ask you, guys, because Jack and I were arguing yesterday on the show about In and Out about the best burgers that you can find. Now, I'm slightly biased, of course. I'm from California, grew up on In and Out, but I've lived in New York, I've been to the middle of the country. I haven't really enjoyed a lot of the burgers down south. But I feel like I have a decent understanding of burgers in America, and he ranked listen to this he ranked Culver's number one.
Speaker 2: Now I've never had Culver's.
Speaker 1: That's a guy's been living in Indiana. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 4: I mean what a loser Jack is, right, Arm, Okay, I think In and Out is more of like a regional passion thing, kind of like for me being from South Florida or Florida in general, like people are with publics, right think as a Florida guy, like it's at the end of the day, it's a grocery store. I do think that it's nuts. I don't even know what Culver's is. There's no way it's a better burger than In and Out. There's no way. There's just no way. So that's why trying to be different, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, it's him trying to be artsy and just straight up wrong.
Speaker 3: I mean probably as you know what, I think, one of his worst takes that's ever been smoking into a bike. So before we get into our top five, I need to hear your top burger chain. Ryan will start with you then, Arm. Then we'll finally get to the baseball part of the Just Baseball Show.
Speaker 1: That's tough, man, it's tough, you know, as someone who worked in McDonald's for a long time. I just try to stay away from all fast food burgers. I like to get a burger from a restaurant. But I will say I did go to school in Pensacola for a little bit. Uh water Burger was pretty fire out there. So what a burger underrated? Underrated?
Speaker 3: I'm fine with that being your favorite. I'd say it's wrong, but I'm fine with it. I can understand it. It's it's sort of like when we talk about these double play combinations finishing third fourth Seeger versus Korea.
Speaker 1: I've only had I yet once. Man, I've had it once and I was like seven, So I can't say in and out when I haven't really had it.
Speaker 2: You know, you're on culture. It's okay. At least you admit it. Hum is Burger fi like.
Speaker 4: A national change. Is that considered a big enough chain?
Speaker 2: Never even heard of that?
Speaker 1: It's down here?
Speaker 4: Is that only Florida?
Speaker 3: That's your number one? Over five guys, Over five guys, five guys.
Speaker 4: I'm a big fight the fries. I'm going to bake the fries into it. Five guys is probably my answer. I like the peanut oil situation I like the bacon. I'm going to go five guys with my answer. But if you're if you're in Florida, try try burger fight. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, two answers that I'm not upset about. Culver's.
Speaker 3: I was extremely was cover and it almost it almost ruined the Top ten shortstep episode for me. Thankfully, Yeah, thankfully we got to talk about in fields, which we will do in this episode, and.
Speaker 2: Let's finally get into it.
Speaker 3: So Ryan again wrote the top five double play combinations on Just Baseball dot com. You can find that article. Ryan, these are your rankings, Arman. I look through the list. I agree on most of it. Some were going to debate a little bit, but it's pretty straightforward.
Speaker 2: How did you rank these guys for me?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So, I mean originally I think we were discussing top ten, top five, what do we do? Ultimately I went with the top five because I felt like the back half of that list it was more based on one player, right there was you know, you go to the braves like Ozzie Alby's is established. Is von Grisham going to be that guy? He might be, but weren't ranking at the beginning of the season. I don't know if we put it there. You know, Boba Schett is awesome, Santiago Espinal with Maryfield, who's the second baseman, and how do we kind of rank them? So that was why I went with the top five. It was interesting trying to look at really, I think when we get into the nitey grid of the list, the top three is pretty clear to me, and then the four to five and the honorable mentions. I almost would not be met if anyone wants to have an argument with any of that kind of group of five, because I feel like there's the honorable mentions was more based on maybe not being as established as the two that I put behind our top three that we'll get into here, But ultimately, I mean, there's some really good dope play combination in baseball. I think one of the things that I found most interesting about this list is not a lot of double play combinations have been together for a while, and we'll kind of go through it, but like most of them, it's they've been formed over the last one to two years. And the number one team shockingly has been the longest form double play combination and it's only three years running.
Speaker 3: And how do you balance offense and defense? Because looking through it seems like some you just believe in the bat a little bit more, some you rely on their defensive acumen. Like, how did is it fifty to fifty? How do you rate defense and offense for a double play combination?
Speaker 1: I think, you know, you want to make sure that there's at least one plus defender between the two. But it was really just, uh, you know, we could kind of go, you know, you know, each team by team, and you'll kind of see where my head was at. But a lot of it just came down to, you know, what they just did. And I leaned a little bit more towards this past season than projecting out, because I think if we project out, there's a couple of double play combinations that I look at and I say that the potential is there for them to be maybe the best in baseball over some of the ones that are ranked ahead. I went a little bit more towards who just did it this season, for particularly the top two that I ranked there.
Speaker 3: Arm without giving it away, is there anything when you look at the list? Anything egregious? I don't want you to say it right now, but is there anything that jumps out at you where you can't wait to debate that, or do you think it's a pretty fine list with some holes that we want to uncover.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't know if I if I would really disagree with with any any of it. The interesting part that I wanted to build off of Fink's point was that the honorable mentions could each be like number three at some point if they have years that we think that they can have right like, and just to highlight one of them, Wander Fronco and Brandon Lau could like those guys if they play to their potential next year, that's arguably like that could arguably be the number number two. And it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility if they both had their one hundred percentile outcome that it's the best middle infield duo on baseball. Somehow, it'd be really hard to do. But like just the fact that like there's a even a one percent chance of that is a testament to just how talented even some of these middle and field duos are that are not in the top five. I think where you could get a little bit nitpicky. The one area Peter I would say is five versus the honorable mentions, and that's where it becomes a challenge of like how much do you wait the superstar and then the other guy versus like really solid player, really solid player or a superstar and like emerging player. It's a tough balance. So that's going to be fun to kind of break.
Speaker 3: Down and Ryan getting straight into the first honorable mention. Like our mentioned Brendon Loo and Wander Franco talent wise their top five, but availability is important. Brandon Low has been banged up. Wanner Franco has played one hundred and fifty three games in his career over two seasons. I feel, and maybe I'm wrong, tell me if I'm wrong. Now, if they play one hundred and thirty games each, this is a top five double play combination. It's just about doing that correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, absolutely. I think a lot of times with these top tens, I like to put this type of a group or that type of a player in an honorable mention because it's almost like you're kind of taking a pass on ranking them. Like if we put Wander Franco as an honorable mention in our top ten short stuff, he did crack the list. To me, it wasn't a about you know, not acknowledging him as a top ten shortstop. It's he didn't play all of last season. We know that once. It's more just, hey, we're mentioning the fact that this guy has this question. But we know that if he's healthy, you know, that's where he's going to be on the list. So yeah, a Wanderer in Low like that could be the best double play combination in baseball, as Arm said, but they're coming off a year where they were both injured, and Low wasn't that good when he was on the field. We saw what Loud did in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, where he might be, you know, the best power hitting second basement in all of baseball. And we know wander is supposed to be this stud that could be the best shortstop in baseball. I think both of them were in like the eight to ten range of our top tens on second base and shortstop, so I think that it was fair to mention him, But I didn't believe that I could put them above the five teams that we ended up going with.
Speaker 3: And here was I guess my first issue, Because I believe this should be a top five double play combination, and that's Nico Horner and Dansby Swanson just straight defense alone. I think they're number two to you know, the Mets, which we will talk about in this top five, but even offensively, like Nico Horner is a really good bat. We've talked to pitchers on this podcast who said Nico Horner is one of the toughest aabs that they've had. Kind of a name that we were surprised about. And when we spoke to Justin Steel, who was on his team, he called him the most underrated player in all of Major League Baseball. And that's not even mentioning the guy coming off a six and a half war season. Are Before we go to Ryan to get his kind of opinion on this, because of course it's his list, I want to go to you would this should this have cracked your top five? Or do you agree with Ryan where they're probably on the outside looking in.
Speaker 4: This is the one spot where it's tough because it's kind of that exact question that I post.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I know Dansby had like a all like a superstar ish season in the department of f war, but I mean, I don't think anyone's looking at Dancy Swanson is a superstar, and that's not a slight. He's a really good player. Nico Horner really good player. Those are two really good players. You get to number five, you have a superstar and an emerging young player. That's where it's it's a really tough juggle.
Speaker 2: On one side.
Speaker 4: And this kind of goes into like one of your first questions to Ryan Peter, which was, how do you wait this? Because Swanson and Horner could both be one hundred WRC plus guys next year, and I think they'd combined for like seven or eight war right, so maybe more so that gives them such a high floor. And then I think Horner's bat's going to keep getting better. I don't know how Swanson's going to hit. I won't pretend to have an idea there, because he is kind of really tough to fully project offensively and has improved in some areas regress and so it's it's weird. I think that if you believe in to spoil it, if you believe in Bryce and Stott, then you can really make that case. And I wonder if that's why I think has the Phillies duo ahead to spoil number five, like, is is it the belief in Bryson Stott or is it maybe that you don't know how Swanson's going to bounce back or not bounce back, But I mean build off of what was.
Speaker 2: A career year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for me that was the biggest thing. It was trying to look at our honorable mentions and then weighing the fact that Trey Turner is the second best shortstop of baseball. To me, it was Trey Turner is that good? He is the best player of the bunch. And as much as Swanson had an unbelievable season, it's wondering is he gonna do it again? Whereas Tredye Turner, I know he's gonna do it. And the more I looked at Stott, if we throw out the first two months of his season where he was trying to get his feet wet, he wasn't that much different than Niko Horner. His WRC plus was one or two compared to one zero six for Horner. The defense he was playing shortstop knock second. Now, granted's so is Horner, and he was better at short stop. But I don't know if the gap between Horner and Stott is that great where I feel that the gap between Trey Turner and Swanson is bigger.
Speaker 3: So that's why I went that way. Actually, that's a really good argument. The way you put it that way, I can I can totally see that, because it's like, if you were to rank these guys, you're Trey Turner, then a big gap, then dance by Horner Stott or dance Mey stot Horn like it's it's not that far off, but the gap for Turner puts them at number five. And before we really truly dive into number five, Correa and Polonco again another one where I'll.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, they could probably be a top five.
Speaker 3: Like this is why this list is so fascinating to me, because there's so many good arguments here. Because Carlos Korea is a top five shortstop. You coul put him at five, You could put him at two, and I don't think RM, you or any of us would be upset with that ranking. So but and then you have Jorge Polonco, who you'll find on our utility rankings didn't rank him within the top ten second basement because play some shortstop play some DH has played other positions before so we thought a good spot for him would be the utility rankings. It might be wrong. He might just play a full time second baseman, and we apologize for that. That's where we put him initially. So that's where we're gonna rank him. If you're upset, I don't know what to tell you. Well, it's interesting to know.
Speaker 4: The one thing I want to add on that is the Twins were oscillating between having Correa or not, you know, were they gonna bring him in, which that would make Polanco either play short or not. And then depending on what happens with Rice Lewis, he could play second, he could play short. I don't think he's gonna play center. Now Correa is in the Fold League. I am interested to see how they how they handle Polanco there. So we we definitely should have probably mentioned him in one way or another. I think he got a little bit lost in the shovel there. But I think, you know, it makes more sense for us to rank him as a utility guy, and I think that's what we're gonna do if he ends up playing all his games at second base. Sorry about that, but he was a weird one to try to like land in a spot, especially with you know how interesting the twins in field situation is. But that into the final honorable mention, which it was another tough one because I think you can make the case, as you said, Correa is elite Polanco similar to Law really good twenty twenty one a little bit, a little bit of a step back last year, a little banged up, more of there's just a step back and almost don't know what's worse. Is it better to be unavailable or available and take a step back, Like, I don't know, So how did you consider that?
Speaker 2: Think?
Speaker 1: Honestly, the twins, just to be completely brutally honest, have like fallen off my radar for a lot of it. When we made our top tens, Carlos Correa was supposed to be a third basement for the Mets. When we were having our big zoom discussing, We're like, all right, he's either the fourth best shortstop or the fifth best. I mean, we didn't know where to put them. And I feel like because of that, the twins have kind of got lost in the sholf a little bit. Ultimately, I still don't believe they're a top five doll play combination because again, it gets back to how much I value Trey Turner compared to everybody else. Like as great as Correa is, Trey Turner, I feel great knowing that he's going to play one hundred and fifty games with the Phillies this year. I don't know how many games Korea is going to play. Not to say that it's because of the ankle, but you know, throughout his career, we just don't entirely know there. And we think it's Planco playing second, but it could be Nick Gordon, it could be a lot of guys. They have a ton of infielders. It could be Royce Lewis. So it's also that where we don't really know exactly what the double play combination is going to be in Minnesota and Polanco, Sorry, real quick.
Speaker 4: Planco played one hundred and four games last year and had a one point eight f war, right, Like, this guy's not a great defender at second base, they stretch him at shorts top. He's definitely not a great defender there. And with with ariahs out that that could be a guy that ends up daching a little bit more than I think we thought, especially with Lewis eventually returning. So yeah, I think when you bake in defense too. None of these guys on this list are bad at defense. Most of them are good, and a lot of them are great. I think if you go through all of the defenders here, if I'm not mistaken, I would probably say Polanco is the worst defender of all these middle infielders. Would that be fair, Peter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going through it. Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, I think.
Speaker 3: He's a short stuff and buthet the Blue Jays combination isn't on this list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he he was a mention in the introduction, not even honorable mention.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and we'll get to the uh, you know, the Padres double play combination. But I guess you can make the argument for Bogarts at short. But I still think Blanco is the right answer of worst defender on this list, and he had that downyeard defensively, when his calling card is power and he had sixteen home runs, it's not like he had four, but it's not like he had thirty like he can. So it's a balance. And that's why I do appreciate number five getting now into the list, Trey Turner and Bryce and Stott, because you're right over the over. Bryson Stott's full season last year eighty three WRC plus, threw one hundred and twenty seven games, But he really, really, really struggled in those first two months. And if we're talking about a balance of upside and floor, we know what we're going to get from Trey Turner. We're going to get the second best short stop in Major League Baseball. We're gonna get one of the best overall players in Major League Baseball. And then if Bryson Stotton is above average second baseman, there's almost no debate that this can't be a top five But it's just what are we going to get from Bryson Stott. Switching over to a new position. It should help him because now he has more of a home. He knows his role there with the Phillies. I think Arm especially has been a Bryson Stott guy. I'm curious Arm before Fink kinda gets into the overarching idea of having them at five. I just want to hear your I guess projection of Bryson Stott in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I thought what I saw in the second half was exactly what I thought we could see which was you mentioned the or you know, in the balance of flour and a little bit of upside. Is like when I was pitching you guys on the Just Baseball Show ahead of the season on Bryson Stott, after watching him in the Fall League and watching him, you know, through the minor leagues, I was like, look, this guy's nothing's gonna jump off the page, but he's pretty good at everything. We saw down the stretch above average or at least average power. We saw an average or above average approach, we saw above average speed. We just saw a guy that's just fifty grades across the board or a little bit better. And that's really darned good. And you know, you can't account for the learning curve for players. It's gonna be different for everybody. What I can tell you is almost all of them do have learning curves, unless you're a freak like Julio Rodriguez or Michael Harris or the very short list of players that instantly you know, settle in. But you look at the WRC plus from first half to second half again, that second half was exactly the Bryson Stott that I saw in the minor leagues. Fifty eight WRC plus in the first half. He effectively doubled it in the second half to one oh six basically, so it's insane. It's nearly your WRC plus in the second half, and then had some success in the postseason. This guy's just a really well rounded player. And I think at second base, we're going to see the defense tick up.
Speaker 3: And I guess if you had to, if I gave you a WRC plus of one hundred and you had to bet over under, you going over, I'm going over, Okay, then they probably deserve to be top five, right Ryan, because I think you're in the same boat. And then of course we're all in the same agreement about Trey Turner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he was a two to f four player after he hit his first home run at the end of May, and so I think about him at second base, and you know, can he be worth three and a half wins this year? I think that that's a realistic outcome for him, and a Trey Turner six and a half wins, I mean, that's going to be one of the best double play combinations of baseball.
Speaker 3: So number four is fascinating because when I saw number four, that was my big issue with the list. I almost coined the term egregious, but then I really thought about it. And you have Xander Bogarts, who is one of the best shorts ups in Major League Baseball. Even if he is a fricking scarecrow at shortstop not being able to move, he's gonna hit, and he's gonna hit everyone. He's gonna hit three hundred, He's got plenty of doubles, and even if the power is a little bit down, I just think this is a This is one of the best bats's kind of our era, kind of one of the more all around bats. Like you look at run value each pitch. He hits every single pitch. It doesn't matter if it's as speeded, it doesn't matter. If it's high, ve low, fastball's, cutters, splitter, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: He hits it.
Speaker 3: But then you have has Young Kim who was really really solid last year. He's not a guy again who's super flashy. You know, he's not Fernando Tatis Junior with the tools, but the man at shortstop can pick it with anybody. And he was a slightly above average hitter and now moving over to second base kind of similar to Nico Horner, he could win the Gold Glove while being an above average hitter. So I went from egregious to no, this is actually probably pretty spot on, right right or right.
Speaker 4: Arm, dude, I am a hostile Kim believer. We used to talk about it, you know, in the group chat in the offseason. I was like, man, I wouldn't mind the Marlins going and getting him, And I may have mentioned the best player. He's a good player, and you know, I think he could be a guy that continues to get better. I think what people forget is, you know, he debuted in twenty twenty one coming over from the KBO, had an obviously bad offensive season, and then this was his second year, like getting acclimated. He didn't have a double A or triple A experience like that kind of was his double A, triple A experience, and he got another guy. Great second half. Horner is you know, I think a higher floor bat in terms of just the way he puts back to the ball. He's a little bit better athlete. But I think Kim can run into some baseballs. Man. I think he's had a little bit more power, and I think the glove is right there. You mentioned what he did is short. He was five defensive runs saved at second base in what was I believe, twenty four games there, Like this guy barely played there and was five drs. He was ten drs at shortstop. I think be one of like it could be between him and Horner for a gold Glove at second base this year, which alone, you know, complementing a superstar like you mentioned with Xander is great. And then I think Xander's improvement defensively, We'll see if it holds up again this year, but Xander having a career year defensively has to really help, you know, And I think this is going to be a sneaky decent defensive middle infield duo.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Obviously Xander is one of the weaker defenders of this group, but it helps when you have one of the best defensive second basemen and Xander improved there. And then I think you see Hassan Kim improving offensively and Xander already being one of the best bats of this whole group here, So I think there's that high floor of an establishedness like that we have with still a little bit more of like they can do some more. Austin Kim almost at a four four last season, like, it's not bad at all.
Speaker 3: It's not bad at all too. And I was just, you know, reading the list too, and it's weird not seeing Fernando Tatis Junior there because he's most likely going to be playing in the outfield. And I was also watching MLB Network and people are really excited about Tatis, you know. So he talked about you know, I think he had shoulder surgery in the offseason. He had risk surgery as well, and the soldier the shoulder is doing really well. The risk is a little bit behind, but the shoulder looks great. He looks ready to go. He looks ready to prove people wrong. And when you already have the talent of Fernando Tatis Junior and then you add a little bit of motivation, he could have an incredible year. But he's not even here. But the great thing about the Padres Ryan is they have Bogarts and has Hung Kim too. I mean this is a really good team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean on my list, I said, if it was to teas at Shorten Bogart's at second, I'd be like, do we just put him one? Because like the talent alone, you'd be thinking about it but the reason why to teases in the infos because Kim is that good of an infielder. And you know, I wrote in the article like if he's fifteen home runs, fifteen stolen bases in a gold glove second baseman, and that's your robin to Bogart's batman, I think he had They had to be, you know, fourth on this list, and I think that's what we see with a lot of these double play combinations and why the top three you stand out, It's because the second basement are that good in our top three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe it's my Cory Seger belief boiling over, but I would have the Rangers double play combination at two instead of three. But at the same time, we're splitting hairs because the next three are all incredible.
Speaker 2: They're all the best in baseball.
Speaker 3: You put each name into a hat and you draft it any way you want, whatever order. I'm probably going to agree with you, but for the sake of this episode, I disagree with you. So you have Cory Seger and you have Marcus Semian and Semyon. We ranked really high on our top ten second basement, and Cory Seger, of course was top five as well, Pania was an honorable mansion while two Vey, not to spoil it, number two is one versus honorable mention, both top five. What was the deciding point to kind of have a debate between these two Sieger and Semion versus al two Vey and Jeremy Pania at two and three.
Speaker 1: It's tough because I think that by season's end, if Seger stays healthy, this is probably gonna be the best doll play combination in baseball. Like, it's the only double play combination where I could say they might hit eighty home runs this year and that's not a laughable statement, which is insane. But we have to look at what they just did. And it's hard for me to look at Altuve and Payna where Altuve was a six and a half F four guy and Paynia was not a Rookie of the Year, but you had a Rookie the Year type season. He was above average offensively, he won a Gold Glove, and then he won the NLCS MVP in the World Series MVP. Like I look at it all together and I think, I mean, that is the double play combination that's coming off the best season other than our number one maybe, But again, when you combine the postseason the regular season. I just felt like it was more acknowledging what they just did, knowing that if Seger and Simmy in playoff to their potential this year and they don't both get off to a little bit of a slow start as they did, they're gonna be the best one. And you look and Simmey didn't hit a home run until I think May twenty eighth. From that point on, that duo hit fifty one home runs from basically June on, So that shows you what they can be. But they weren't that last year. So that's why they're three.
Speaker 2: L Where do you sit on this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Jeremy Panney is a really interesting case and it was a big topic on our top shortstop list right of like, how do you it's such a talented position. This guy won a Gold Glove and hit twenty two home runs, but he also got on base at a two eighty nine clip and doesn't walk and chases a lot, and it's a risky offensive profile and he had that rough second half, right, and again we're splitting hairs and a half here, But even though it was a thirteen game sample size, what Jeremy Pania did in the postseason and on the biggest stage really like kind of gave me a little bit of pause and calm of what he's going to be able to do. I think going into to next year, I think, you know, I don't know if we're going to see a sophomore swamp even with the approach, inefficiencies like those things would have got exposed on the biggest stage in the World Series or you know, in the ALCS, and instead he hit three forty five and so six thirty eight during that postseason run, hit four home runs. So you know, I think Payny is gonna build off of that year. I don't know if he's gonna have like a superstar season, But three point four four last year, why can't he get on base at a slightly higher clip, hit twenty plus home runs again and play the great defense again and be.
Speaker 2: A four to four and a half f four guy if he does that.
Speaker 4: With what Jose Altuve is doing, we just talked about the top second basement in baseball, and Altuve is a guy that you know, has had career career year like, that's a really tough one to beat. On the flip side, though, is there a better second basement on this list now, Marcus Semion other than jose al Tuve, Right, like, other than al Tuove, is there a better second basement than Marcus Semion? I guess it would be Jeff cors.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't don't ruin it. Don't ruin it.
Speaker 4: I think people probably inferred by now. But I guess what's interesting is it's like we're talking about the balance of like superstar and then guy down here. The Rangers are like this weird in between of like two almost superstar kind of guys, Like, I know Seeker has been a superstar, but in terms of what the level they played last year was kind of like almost superstar. It's a really interesting balance. So I lean with the way that it's ranked. But that's one that like the nuclear ability that the Rangers middle endfield has that it could be number one.
Speaker 2: Ryan, be honest with me.
Speaker 3: Were you courced by uh Jeremy Paine's TRICEP picture?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 1: I was not? I was not, but honn't believe I know I was. I'm like, I'm like the old man that's just like rings and what did you do for me in the playoffs? And that type of thing where you know, I was more swayed by what he did in October than anything else. For U, It's just it's hard for me not to believe in a guy when he rises to the occasion, you know, and think that I almost feel like he had his sophomore slump during the season. I feel like the first half everyone was kind of discovering who Jeremy Payna was, and then he had to go through it. And then when you're facing the best possible pitching in the playoffs, he made his adjustments and he delivered in the biggest way. How many times have we ever seen a guy go from NLCS MVP to World Series MVP, Like, I don't even remember seeing that, So to me, that was ultimately why I'm a little bit higher on Paanya. I think I definitely had him in the top ten when I originally ranked our shortstops, so I think I'm higher on him than a lot of us are just baseball, But I just think that the defense gives him such a high floor that if he's hitting me twenty five home runs, I feel like he's going to be one of the most consistent starting shortstops in the game.
Speaker 3: I guess that's fine. But when Seager and Sammon combined for twelve war, you go eating your words. But I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: And but if he either plays sixty five games this year or if.
Speaker 3: He gets on a three toh eight clip, all right, all right, fine, there's baub that of the negatives to everyone. Let's move on. This is about to be an echo chamber. And the reason I say it's about to be an echo chamber is because we all agree with number one, and we're just going to shower the praise of our number one double play combination. And it's not just because Fink has a Mets flag behind him. This is the best double play combination because we have the number one shortstop in baseball according to all of us, and we have the number two second baseman and Jeff McNeil, Which why I love him so much is because, yes, he's one of the best second basement in baseball, but he could be one of the better third basement in baseball. He could be one of the better cornerilefielders in baseball. Like he's been a utility guy kind of his whole career, really found a home at second base. He's found a little bit of power, but the contact is always going to be there. Find a guy who has a better zone contact than Jeff McNeil. Find a guy who had a better batting average last year. You can't because he had three twenty six. And then you have the best shortstop in baseball and Francisco Lindor. So not only does this duo probably end up being the best defensive duo in Major League Baseball, they might be top three offensive also. And think we're gonna go through our you know, MVP picks, award picks, and I don't want to give it all away. And I don't even want to really talk about this because we have so many other episodes to do. But I am looking at Francisco Lindor as my MVP pick. Now who I really am? I think the value is there. I'm looking at these guys like, I think he could put together a career year, settled in third season in New York, best defense in baseball at the position, drive in one hundred and ten hit to eighty hit, thirty bombs. Be that guy for the New York Mets. And that's not even mentioning Jeff mcneilo could at three thirty shower the praise my friend. This is this is your time to shine. They have to fly behind you.
Speaker 1: I'll yeah, I appreciate that, I will say, just building on that, I had a whole show about Lindor's MVP case on Lockdown Mets on Monday, and the odds for Lindora now plus twenty five hundred. For Trey Turnert's like plus fourteen hundred. To me, I'm like, if I'm betting, you know, on those two guys based on who they are as players, give me the odds on Lindor if they're that long. But look, I think when you look at this Mets team, they're built to win a ton of games and these guys are maybe the biggest reason because of it. The fact that the Mets are so strong off the middle is why they won one hundred and one last year. And it was those guys. It was McNeil, it was Lindor, it was Alonso and really Nimmo last year that drove that team. And with Lindor, you know, you look at his first season with the Mets. He was dreadful to start, but from June on he was really good. He got hurt, so that kind of messed up his numbers a little bit too, where there was some time where he was struggling off the injury. This guy is so consistent. He's going to go out, he's going to hit at least twenty five home runs, He'll swipe over fifteen bags, and I think the elimination of the shift this year is going to make that defense standout even more. And Jeff McNeil, if you're not watching Mets baseball, there's a few guys that are more exciting to watch than Jeff McNeil. The jersey's always dirty, he's always, you know, two hits a game. Uh so, yeah, of course I love my Mets mid infield. But when we were going through this list, when I was doing all the research on it, the second best combined F four of any dope play combination that's formed was actually Swanson and Horror last year at ten point four. Lindora McNeil was over twelve. It was twelve point seven. So that's why you know, f wour alone, it was kind of a clear cut answer on who the best dope play combination was.
Speaker 2: M Do you totally agree or do you definitely agree? I mean, I think there's a slight.
Speaker 4: Snub of Joey Wendell and Louis Arriaz up there. Oh yeah, I think you got a look out for that duo. They might combine for.
Speaker 2: Eight and IKF and uh Glabor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think Ariahs and Wendell might combine for eight home runs this year. So he'll look out for them. But no, I mean everything that he said, you know that think just said is true and we talked about it just on the on the second basement. So like the way that McNeil has took that down year, that was kind of a plague that was spread across the whole Mets team and hitting philosophy and analysis paralysis, and that kind of scrapped a lot of the people that were perpetuating some of that. I mean, he just went back to the basics. Man, this guy, like you mentioned Peter, You're gonna be hard pressed to find a more pure hitter in baseball. It's just he makes hitting a baseball like he hurts our case. When we tell people, hey, hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, if they just look at Jeff McNeil, they'll be like, what do you mean it doesn't look that bad? Like it looks pretty easy. And then Lindor his floor is so high because he's gonna always be one of the best defenders and he's always gonna run into twenty plus home runs. Like maybe he's not putting up thirty three thirty five like he did in Cleveland, but he's twenty plus every year for the last five full seasons. He's gonna steal bags, he's gonna have pitch calm in his year and be annoying about just knowing where to be at all times. I don't even know if you can put that in number, like he is just that kind of player I like. I think I would pretty much if there's a gun in my head. I think I brought this up with with Jack. I would pick this middle infield duo to pace the league n F four, And I think I'd sleep pretty well for all one sixty two cross that bridge when we get there. But I don't think i'd be losing sleep at night wondering if if that that trigger is going to be pulled come October third or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, And it's funny.
Speaker 3: The Mets double play combination is so good that it automatically puts them in the best infields in baseball, even though when Wardo Escobar plays third, I mean, of course you have Pee Alonso to help. But because it's so good, and because Pee Alonso was so good, they could have rom at third, who is a poor man's Josh Rojas, which is a perfect kind of confidence.
Speaker 4: I can pick it. That's all they need me to do.
Speaker 3: It's all they need him to do, and that's all they're gonna ask for. But ward O Escobar too, So that's the top five great list. The more I think about it, I think you got it pretty spot on. I would argue for Dan's being horner, but we're splitting hairs. Who were the double play combinations? When writing? Because I know you said at the beginning it was a top ten, but the back half it's kind of challenging. You held it to three honorable mentions. Who might be nine and ten? Like who was the one you left off where you thought to yourself, I could easily make an argument for them in my honorable mentions.
Speaker 1: I think the Blue Jays and the Guardians were maybe like nine to ten, you know, with Jimenez and Rosario, with Baschett and Espinal, and then I get the Braves are the other one. I mean, you know, if we made a top ten, there would have been maybe one honorable mention of how to try to figure that out, but you know, it was tough. Again, it ultimately came down to the top three was pretty clear to me. I had some trouble like Rangers Astros. That was one of the things. And then you know, rounding out the top five was tough. But ultimately I felt like these were the five best double play combinations. And when you add in the honorable mentions, I think from that collection of eight teams, that will be the top five at some point, you know, at the end of the season. I think any of those honorable mentions could easily crack this list by year's end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say the Guardians, that's the one that I think could could have easily been an honorable mention. It's kind of weird when there's a big difference, like you look at the the Astros. Yes, there's a decent gap between al Tuove and Penya a. Penia a lot better than Rosario. When there's a gap, when you're better, when the better middle infielder is the second baseman by a decent margins, I feel like it's kind of harder to push that that team across and Rassario is a good player, but you know, not the caliber player of Pania. And I think Jimenez is closer to Altuve in terms of value from this past season as a lot of people think, but just below that. So obviously it's it's just outside there. But I would say that's a really underrated middle infield duo that is gonna probably only get better, right, I mean, there was a six war player from Amenez last year. Rosario seemed to have a lot of things clicked for him. That's a really fun middle infield doing. That's one that I would not be surprised to enter the top five, you know, for maybe next season or at some point mid season, if both of them perform the way we think they can.
Speaker 3: So Arm is churning out top ten prospects by system, and he's done a really great job. I've been on his ass about the Yankees because all I want to do is talk about Will Warren and Jason di Mingez and Volpi and all these different guys. I'm curious Arm because in the minor leagues, from listening to the call up, it seems that the shortstop position in particular, of course, and it normally is. But it seems like this shortstop crop in the minor leagues right now is about as rich as it's been in a very long time. But with that said, there's a lot of shortstops coming up for teams who already have shortstops who might move over to second base for the teams that weren't mentioned here, for the For the fans of teams who are looking towards a great middle infield duo in a couple of years, who are some teams with great prospects coming up that you feel have a you know, a path right a path to play second, a path to play shortstop. Who could form a duo like I think to myself O'Neal Cruz and Nick Gonzalez or O'Neal Cruz and Jiwan Bay for the Pirates. The Reds have so many good shortstops, someone's going to move over to second you know, Bobby with Junior, who's going to be the second baseman for the Royals, Like all of these teams who aren't mentioned yet but will be in a couple of years.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. Do not sleep on this, Brewers duo of now the established and top ten shortstop in our game in a Damis and then Bryce Turing Man. I think he's cut from the same cloth as Nico Horner. I think he's going to be a high four guy off of the defense and speed and run into ten to fifteen home runs and you're like, whoa, that guy had a four f or last year. That's a middle and field duo that I think could be really really good. And then Peter, your Yankees man, like the combination of Volpi and Parazza. If both of these guys hit their ceilings or even close to it, like, that's a really nasty, defensive and offensive middle infield. It is, Peter for those listening puts on is pit vipers, which are nuts. Those are not crazy. Those are crazy. Yeah, that is That is a middle infield duo that I think is nice. And I think Paraza is a pit viper guy. If I'm not mistaken, I couldn't agree with you more. Vulpi Parazza labor ever incredible.
Speaker 3: What we got over here at pitch a little bit of what we were talking about the Yankees just just humor me, Like, just just humor about the Yankees. Farm system for a little bit, just shower me and break look forward to the Call Up.
Speaker 4: We'll be breaking down what I think is one of the better I think still a top ten farm system in baseball. The Yankees pitching philosophy continues to just shock me with how they're able in a good way. Sixth round pick in a good way and just develop that guy immediately. I'm really excited to put the system out. I think it's gonna be a really, really fun breakdown that should be out in the next If you're listening to this, good chance it's either out by the end of day today or tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: It'll be live on Just Baseball dot com. The full episode will be available on the Call Up Podcast. Make sure you just subscribe to the call Up podcast as well as the YouTube channel if you want to watch arms, beautiful face talk about prospects, and of course Jack too, and maybe I'll make an appearance with my pit vipers. Ryan is the host of Who's Better Baseball? It's an awesome debate show. We need more of that here for baseball because it's fun to debate different areas in Major League Baseball. Ryan's doing that, bringing on riders. I've been on, arms gonna be on, Jack's gonna be on. The whole game is gonna be on. And of course, one thing that I have to tell you guys, because I'm very excited for it, make sure to download Prize Picks. It is in the episode description. Use code just Baseball because we are about to unleash long props and they will be only on Prize Picks because we get the best value there. And then you get a deposit match if you use code just Baseball up to one hundred dollars. You deposit fifty, you get fifty. You deposit one hundred, you get one hundred. If you're not much of a gambler, but you think it might be fun to throw ten bucks on a season long jury and sweat it out and have fun with us as we talk about it all year, you get ten free dollars. Anyway, put that free ten bucks on and let's just have a really good time. That link is in the episode description. Of course, not gambling advice. Can't wait for that to begin again. Daily MLB bets, College baseball bets, the whole nine yards, and of course you can find all of this on Just Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dot com.
Speaker 3: If you're listening on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, we'd greatly appreciate a five star review. It's the best way to support this podcast. If you could leave a written review, it's even better. And of course we have merch in the episode description if you want to support the podcast. And with that thank everybody.