Speaker 1: Let's bring on a guy who said as many journeys in a very young career and young life when it comes to baseball, and that is my good friend Alex Cora, Capy Tan, thanks for joining us on Dirt from the dugout.
Speaker 2: Well, Captain, we're back together. Let's do it, hey, justin? How you doing, man? Hey buddy, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Man who knew the circumstances that you and I were to be back together when neither one of us are actually going to be working for a little while, but we'll be working again at some point.
Speaker 2: So it's a little interesting and a little strange.
Speaker 1: But I will say justin that the years that I spent, you know, working with that guy right there and then covering him were as rewarding as any that I had because, as you've seen and Capy Town, We've had Dusty on this show, we had Buck Show Walter on the show, we had your friend Pete, Dustin Pedroia on the show, and d Row and Adam Wayne Wright, just a real solid list of guests. But I earned as much and enjoyed as much of any part of my career hanging out with Alex Boras. So again, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: It means a lot now, Like I told you, you know, October twenty eighth in at Dodger Stadium, right, I never you know, you meant a lot too to what, to where, what we were able to accomplish that year. You know my years in Bristol, you know, I was an open book. I still remember the first time I went there, uh to do my uh my tryout and uh it was something about it pop up in tropy Ginafield and I had to explain the fans why the outfielder didn't see it. And I was still freaking nervous. You know, I had no idea. I called Rappids. You know, He's like, come on, you know, this guy's the guy. But uh, you know you you mean a lot to me. It is now that you meant a lot to me. You mean a lot to me, and I'm happy to be here with you guys. Okay, great.
Speaker 1: So our goal on this show, I think you've seen it before, is really to share your journey, to help and inform many of the parents of young kids today, whether they are like yours, nine, ten, eleven years old or those going into high school or into college. But really just to share what you did on your journey and maybe they can learn some things. Some roads to go down, some roads not to go down. Let's go back to Puerto Rico and your your first introduction to the sport, because I know you just came from a soccer practice or something where your kids were so you had options. Why did the Cora family gravitate to baseball?
Speaker 2: It was very easy. Dad was the founder of the Little League chapter in our hometown, so you had no other options. I better play baseball. My two sisters didn't play because at that point there was no softball for women. But uh, it's all I know. It's all I knew growing up. You know, the ballpark is literally seven blocks from our house. You just walked there, and you know people said that you know when when mom was ready to go, you know, he broke she she broke water. She was at ballpark. So this is all we know. Dad was also involved in winter ball with the cows Creoos. He was he was involved in sports. He was used to work for two newspapers in the island, one that is not running anymore, the San Juan Start that's the English version of the newspaper here, and the other one in Lueloda, and I still remember coming from the games, you know, winter ball, I saw call cal Ripken, I saw Don't Mating Lee and a lot a lot of a lot of good players. He'll come back home and call the newspaper whoever was in charge of the sports section, and he'll say, for example, Dicky Thon four thousand, Henry Coto four ten. And I'm like, what is he talking about? And one day I say that what that means? He goes, son is four at bats, no runs, one hit, no RBIs bro I get chills. You're thinking about it. I lost my dad when I was thirteen, and and nah, just going back to that, you know, it was it was, you know, we we eat breakfast, we talk baseball. We had lunch, we talked baseball, we had dinner, we talk baseball. So that's how we started. Yeah, okay, great, Oh cool, great.
Speaker 3: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we? They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it? Krats?
Speaker 4: Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 3: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 5: So cool, Alex, I want to I want to ask you about that. I know it's very personal. Obviously you lost your dad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the things we talk about all the time on this show is just adversity, right and handling adversity and overcoming adversity. We all have some form of adversity in our life that comes at us at some point. What was that like for you and how did you pick up the pieces and move forward on such a tough loss for you know, a father figure that was so important in your life and to carry forward and what you were doing.
Speaker 2: Joycoorra, Joycoorra, you know my brother. Obviously, my mom was the dry forced behind our family. My two sisters who drove me two games, baseball games, volleyball games, whatever I wanted to do that were around me. But just having my brother just leading me. We went to Shape Stadium, me and my dad to see joe in nineteen eighty six, and Dad passed away in eighty eight. That was the only time I was able to see Joy playing the big leagues with my dad. So when that passes away, you know, Joey becomes not only my brother and my best friend is my father, you know, my mentor. And one of the things that I tell people if you follow our careers, Joy decided to go to college. I decided to go to college. Obviously. We both got drafted high in the draft. Actually he was higher first round pick and I think it was like eighty five by the Padres. I got drafted by Dodgers in the third round in ninety six. We played in the big leagues. We decided to do the coaching part of it. The only difference in our careers besides that he was actually the better player, you know, he was the better player. I became a manager and he has never managed, but he was always there for me. He was so cool for me. People ask me, who's your favorite player, Roberto Alomar, hands down, that's my favorite player, no hesitation, And people go like, Alway is no Joey. I'm like, Joey's my brother, you know, Like I don't see him as a big leaguer. He was a big leaguer, he was a big league coach, but I see him as my guy, you know. And whatever my mom cooked for lunch, my guy was eating the same food as I was, you know. So just follow his footsteps, you know. And he went through a lot throughout his career, a lot. In nineteen eighty six or eighty six, Yeah, I was in sixth grade and I still remember my best friend, Rolando or Rutiner. He actually played basketball. He was part of the team that beat a team USA in the Olympics in Athens. Yeah, he played for that team. Carlos Alroyo, Orlando was there. Jose Ortiz, So, Rorlando was in my class and Joey was playing in Beaumont, Texas Double A and Joey got stabbed after a game, and you know, emergency, all this stuff, blah blah blah. Nobody told me anything about it. Of course, you know, I was ten at that time, and uh, he was in the in the back page of the newspaper. Joeykore gets stabbed. Everybody's hiding the newspaper at the house. I go to school and and and roto That's how I call him. He tells me about it. My mom is the school secretary. So I get up, I sprint to the office climb. You know what happened to Joey Going back to the question, that's adversity, right, and just to see him bounce back from that and actually make it to the big leagus the next year with the San Diego Padres. Larry Bow was the manager, and uh that that was kind of like the first lesson, uh to play for Larry Bow too was a big lesson too, you know, talk about adversity and dealing. Boy, he was tough and joy he was very tough. He is his but he went through a lot, and uh for me to just lived it right, nobody had to tell me how to do it. Just I just watch, you know, And that's how I learned. There were a few things that happened, uh in little league that I still remember. I was a little guy onto well I'm still a little guy compared to others, but I was very small going into Pony League. That's fourteen under or thirteen fourteen, And all of a sudden that summer I grew up. I grew, you know, and I got bigger, not stronger. I got luck, and all of a sudden, I wasn't able to move. I was rounder. Oh bro, it was. It was different, you know, Like the bases were so far and I was very slow, and I wasn't able to make the same place that I was making when I was playing a twelve under. And this coach, Mickey Serrano, I still I mean this guy, he actually made me a big leader. I'm in the first base dougout after hitting another ground bow to second, and I'm sitting there and he turns around and looks at me and he says, you know what you're playing every day here?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, it's because your brother is a big leader. If not, you wouldn't be playing like I was. Like devastated. So whatever for me to remember this at fifty you know what he did for me? So long story short, after my fifth year in the big leagues, I go to this sports bar here in Kagua's. I run into Mickey Serrano and he's, hey, Alex, what's going on? Long time? No see this? And that We have a few beers and I pulled him aside. I say, I make come here. I'm going to tell you what you did for me. And he's like, what are you talking about. He's like, remember when you were coaching me at fourteen under when I was thirteen? Well you told me one night and he's like, no, I don't remember you told me this. And because of you, I decided to be good and become a big leader. And I'm a big leader because you. That's right. The guy was. He was in shocked. He was like noway, I like, yes, you did that to a thirteen year old kid. Man. You know, it's amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I was just having this conversation with Chris today about the things that you remember, like the things that stick in your mind that are so irrelevant to so many people, Like it's just amazing and the impact a coach can have on a kid, and that conversation and what you believe it did, whether it truly did it or not, but you believe it. And that's the impact that a good coach can have on anybody at any age.
Speaker 2: That's you know, a long story a bad coach or a bat.
Speaker 1: But there's a valuable lesson, a real valuable lesson in all of it. All right, So, Capyton, the best thing we do is allow our fans to ask questions.
Speaker 2: We'll start with Royce here. He's got a great question.
Speaker 1: He said, you played fourteen years in the big leagues, then became a coach and a manager. What did you learn about the game after you retired that you wish you maybe understood it as a player. So you're done playing now you look back on it. Is there something you learned after that you wish you'd understood as a player.
Speaker 2: Yes, So going to the offseason in two thousand and four, you know, I had a great season quote unquote, played good defense for the Dodgers, hit ten homers, hit two sixties to seventy for a guy that you know, he was a good defender. So finally he's hitting the ball. Whatever December two, Kim Name calls me and tells me that we're gonna desiginate you for assignment. I was like, what after what I just did? We made it to the playoff, we got Adrian Belcher says stories on myself, this is a great infield. We're gonna be okay, blah blah blah cool. Ended up signing with the Cleveland in the off season. Late in the off season and throughout the years, I always wonder why, you know, I thought I was, you know, kind of like becoming a really good baseball player, a really good part of a championship caliber team. And then when actually he started in Bristol, just being around the you know, everybody that goes through the numbers, including our friends Sarah, right, like, oh, okay, there's a little bit different conversations with x gms about you know, the past and how they see the game. And yes, we have an idea as a player, but no, we we always believe that we are better than what people say, right, Like, we are better, especially my type of role, you know, the utility player wants to play every day. That's the reality of it, you know, like, yeah, you accept your role, yeah yeah, yeah, But no, no, you want to play every day. So throughout the years I always wonder what happened. And then you know, I get to Houston, I understand more about the numbers. I get to Boston and everything opens up, you know, projections and expected numbers and all that. And I bet the Dodgers in two thousand and four they were like, this is it for the kid. That's it. This is all he's gonna do. And the other day I was watching Jeff Kent during his speech in Cooperstown. I can say that the guy that came in after me with the Dodgers was Jeff Kens. So they made as you know, yeah, it's a Hall of Famer. But that's what I learned. Like, like, I'm not saying expecting numbers are everything, because at the end, you know, production matters, but there's certain there's certain information that is very important for organizations to make decisions, and uh, you know, I think all that stuff and probably in two thousand and four it wasn't obviously it wasn't as deep as what it is today, but there were a little bit ahead of the curve with the Dodgers. That's when Paul the Podesta interest came in. In UH in February of four, you know, and I think they were looking at stuff like that and that's you know, that's why they made the decision. But that's something I learned as a coach as a manager, Like this is the they evaluated Alex as a player. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense, A good one.
Speaker 5: I want to touch on that, because there's a chase now for you know, for the metrics, right, I mean you can go all the way to eight nine ten year olds chasing metrics and some organizations ranking you know, nine year olds, right, I mean, it's it's it's the chase for the metrics.
Speaker 2: If they're ranking the core of Felicianos, they have no chance right now about to have fun and then go to uh go to the store and get some yogur after the y man.
Speaker 5: So the chase for the metrics, though obviously data metrics. You know, a big part of my role with the Brewers was focused on the draft.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's a part of draft decisions, and it's part of you know, free agent signs and projectability like you said, and there's all of that and college coaches are using it now more than ever. But I want to I want to just get your opinion on this, because I think I think lost in the shuffle. Here are some of the nuanced aspects of a player, the makeup, the intangibles, the baseball IQ and obviously those are anecdotal sort of things. But how do you balance that and what is your recommendation for youngsters chasing some of those metrics instead of just developing their skills and trying to become the best player. They can be the best teammate, they can be understand the game at the highest level. They can What is your advice to the youngsters.
Speaker 3: On that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can tell you right now, and I see it. You know, we just move up to ten under and yeah, we go to the indoor facility here at the puer Eco Baseball High School Academy. It's an I set up. They have a hip track. And for how much I hate sometimes when hitters hit the ball at them the bat of the good jam all.
Speaker 1: Right, justin we'll get I think we just lost in for a second. We'll get him back. But I think he's going to get into a story about as much as he probably didn't like the idea of seeing the ball go square off the bat. Sometimes when you hit one off the end and it falls in for a hit like that's a good thing. What I'm going to what I'd love to get into with him too, is his impression when he started to talk about learning different things when he's not a player Moneyball, for instance. I'm real curious what he thought of the movie. I forget, I don't know what age he was when the movie came out, but clearly being in the sport and now being actually being exposed to it on both sides, I am curious as to what it was that he took from that movie, because that is exactly what he was getting at about his ability to learn things from a management front office perspective that you may not appreciate as a player, and he had to make those decisions along with the front office on players that I'm sure you know he felt were really good players who contributed, but somebody could tell you, yeah, but we're missing this component on the team, and this particular guy does exactly what we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Hunt Revie.
Speaker 5: I mean with all the guests we've had on, all the people that have been there, managed at a high level, played at a high level, all of famers like we you know how many times have we heard though for the youth, like have fun, right, don't be focused on those things. Just get better, play some baseball, do the things that you're going to do, like you said tonight, you know, go play your game and then go to the go to the grocery store and get some yogurt, you know, like it's kind of that simple at a young age, and we're over complicating it. And I don't think it's beneficial to the players. I don't think it's beneficial to the the mental aspect of enjoying a childhood and being able to play other sports. And so I'm looking forward to hearing his response on that and where you know, what he's what he wants to do on that side of it. But we are hearing that over and over right, like you know, enjoy the game, like multiple sports, like you know, have fun.
Speaker 2: That's where we're at. That's great. I think I think he's back. So yeah, so I live I live it every day. That's okay. Here we go, we go to the batting cages, to the indoor batting cages here and uh and the boys they do it, you know, like they hit it and they look back and that's what everybody does, so I cannot go against it because it is the reality of it. You know, we got we got the technology, and uh we we have to use it, but you know, you have to be careful to to overdo it, right, Like at the end of the day, there's not a better feel like when you hit a ball, you know, like you know, I didn't have too many of them, but I knew right. And actually I had this conversation with Brad Stevens two years ago. It was doing our rookie development program. We went to a practice facility with the Celtics and Kyle Hudson, who was a third base coach for the Red Sox. He asked Brad about technology and how they use it, especially in the practice environment, and Brad very politely said, I know, you know, our analysts are gonna hate this answer, but this is my sanctuary. And there's nothing better for a shooter. When they pure one the net, the sound of the net, that's how you know. There's no I don't know, I don't know what they use. But in our case track man and hit track and all that stuff. Yeah, we use that, and I know there's value with it, but there's nothing better to square one ball off and you know, you don't have to look back the other one. And I actually talked to some are the Red Sox pitchers this year. So Ranger Suarez throws his first bullpen four myers. I think it's the second or third day of early camp whatever. You know, they showed up early, and you see all these guys throwing hard ninety five ninety six and looking back and boom, boom boom getting feedback and Rangers throws twenty pitches. They all move to the edges of the plate. I can see it on the on the monitor. I can see it with a land. Ranger never turned around once he knew, he knew the feedback that he needed was right in front of him. Interesting, he didn't know to. It's like, I know what I need to do to keep getting better, and I think we we we actually need to. Yeah, we take advantage of the technology, but it's baseball, especially at this age. You know, nine, ten eleven, Baseball is at his purists, right, show up, stretch, play, catch, see the ball, hit the ball, run hard, and enjoy it. You know, it's what we try to do. But understanding that, now that you really involved, I'm really involved. Now you know I'm there. It's a lot different. It's a lot different. And honestly, think about it, Carl, you also to me, to me, to me, but.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say to me, Alex, what I recognize in it is that.
Speaker 2: Who do know? And when you were ten, eleven or twelve years old, Alex looks like it's me and you. Man. Yeah, So going back to what I was saying, think about it, think about it. And I hate to compare myself with my boys, but when I was growing up, I think the brand of baseball was actually better in a sense. Yeah, I remember. It's just you know, like there's and I understand what we have coach pitch leagues. I understand why, but when we grew up, there was none of that. So you have to learn to play baseball. When you were six, five, six seven, you were pitching, you were playing defense. And now and this started actually in eighty eighty six. It was kind of like in the nineties early nineties coach pitch. They put the two coaches in the outfield, you know, down the lines. Then you have the other two coaches and everything the coaches do is stream instructions right like through second through the first do this, do that. And I hated doing this in the big leagues, you know, as a manager, as a coach when I used to play. But in this one, I will say it. When I used to play, there was none of that. You had to play the game, You had to react to the game. You had to learn the game at a high speed because if not, you were out. You were out. And now with all these and like I said, I understand why we're protecting the arms, we're protecting the players, But with all these coaches on the field screaming instructions, we're taking away the baseball, like you, the instincts because they're becoming robots, you know, Oh you tell me what I do, I'll do it. That they're actually better athletes one hundred percent. I was watching today that was stupid. What what I saw today from noon till five o'clock baseball wise, amazing. But still you can hear the coaches streaming instructions doing that instead of letting them be, let them be athletes, let them solve the problem, right we always talk about in the big leagues, you know, problems, solve them, you know, challenge them, make them feel you know, uncomfortable, well, you know what uncomfortable at a young age is silence. Let them play, let them figure out. Yeah, we can help them with everything, you know, swing the back, throw this and that and the fundamentals. But from let's say you play from five to seven. Just be quiet. Let them play, and they're going to develop, probably better than the way we're developing right now, no doubt. Let them figure their problems out.
Speaker 3: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is Sea geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on sea Geek.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here and as the penchases really heat up, go to c can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 3: Green dot means very good code for you. It's territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SEKK. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: A lot of questions here, Let's get to this question from Mark Alex Who pushed you the most as a manager and what did you learn from that relationship? Who pushed you the most as a manager coach? And what did you learn from that relationship? Not name Joey Korra. I gotta be very honest. I'm always honest, but this is something that you know, probably people are gonna say, ah, he's playing the corporate card.
Speaker 2: But now that city, that city, the one I managed, Boston. Yeah, challenged me every single freaking day, every day, every day from day one in that press conference in November, I want to say, seventh of twenty seventeen, all the way till April twenty fifth in Baltimore. This year, just the expectations and the I mean, shoot, you feel that you have to win one hundred and sixty two games in Boston and they push you to be great, and when you have bad days, you remember that you're in Family Park and you're playing in Boston, and you cannot, you know, mope around. You have to show up and and do it over and over and over again the right way as a manager. As a manager, you know, I don't know whe the future holds. You know, I'm in a good place right now. But from from that day when I signed that contrail, the way to the decision one. May you know that fan base challenged me. Man is is NonStop? Is actually very intense, and honestly, I can feel now kind of like, oh okay, this is kind of like look at you.
Speaker 1: You look at you, your smile, your relax you look you look like somethody that doesn't have the green monster. The green monster takes on a whole different definition when you're staring at it every day. It is, in a lot of ways a moment. But let me ask you this. You you win the World Series in your first year. Did that then almost raise the expectations for a city? As you said, put so much demand on every single game you play.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say that, I truly believe that. For however, I don't know how well how people saw it, right, like, oh that was that was a team that they were supposed to win it. Yeah, probably, but no, but if that was the case, it's more pressure, you know, like you come to this place to win a World series. And I still I mean, I still remember Carl. When we lost Game two of the Alds against New York, I joke around and I said it out loud, you know, like the sky was falling. It was like we just won a hundred and whatever games under we lost game two, Yeah, game two against the Yankees, it was over. Oh my god, Like I was like, what's going on here? You know? But then we finished business and we did an outstanding job. And you know after that, winning Will's here is very hard. It's very hard. You know. What the Dodgers are doing, you know, the last few years is amazing. The way baseball is right now. Just look around, man, Like everybody's like in the same boat, right, the same whatever. You can say they're bad teams, you can say their average teams, or everybody's so good that they beat each other up, however you want to say it, you know, but it's very balanced, you know, and anybody can beat anybody, and I think, uh yeah, we raised the bar right away. But I think we did an outstanding job. And that city doesn't matter. They don't care. They believe that they have to win every single game, every single game, which I love. You know, like it was a miss season. They pushed me to be really, really good. It's somebody that watches so many the games. The season's been fascinating because the world ended and now all of a sudden, the world's a lot better, and here they are maybe losing three games in a row and the world's disaster again. I mean, that's how it is, and that's how it is, and a lot of these very into it, major league cities, which is part of it.
Speaker 1: There is a question up here. You've sort of said we're in a good place now. A one person says you signed a baseball for them and it was the best birthday gift ever outside the Commonwealth Hotel. So they say thank you for that, and then the next question is awesome, you know, are you going to come back and coach or manage again? People miss you? I think not necessarily the city, it doesn't, but people miss you.
Speaker 2: Is that part of your dream your goal? I think at one point, I'm going to get back when we don't know, we don't know, you know. And that's something that I went to. We've been through a lot of places this summer, a lot, you know, from volleyball tournaments in Minnesota to see our niece dominate her nationals too. We went back to Boston and we watched three three matches at Gillette or sorry, Boston Stadium. Boston Stadium, it's not Jet Boston Stateia. We went there, and then we went to Switzerland and we went to Italy. Uh. In Italy, I had a chance to actually a text Alan Bart who used to work with us, you know, with the with the Red Sox. He used to be with the Royals and the Mets, and we're going back and forth. He lives, he lives in Florence right now, and we were trying to hooked up, you know, to have lunch or breakfast and Uh. In the conversation, I said, man, my family needed me, and he goes, you keep saying that, and the way I see it, you needed your family. And Carl, I'm telling you man, when he said that, I was like, holy shoot, you know what, yes, because you get caught up on everything, you know, like, I haven't stopped. I haven't stopped. You know. Bristol was okay, back and forth, you know, you know, no kids at that time, only coming he left, you know, and and jerie L actually Angelica and I started dirty dating around it was twenty thirteen, and then everything changed, you know. We we we had the boys in seventeen, We're in I'm in Houston, she's in Puerto Rico. The hurricane here, then the Red Sox and yeah, the suspension, but the pandemic. I'm home, but we haven't stopped. And all of a sudden, when you go to these places and you see the kids walking around and you know, her sister loving them, and Angelica having a black and uh, I'm like, you know what I needed my family? I needed for how much I love the game. And I say it again, you know, Uh, it's three different feelings, you know, happy for my family, upset that they didn't let me finish his job, and honestly believe that I don't have to go through scatter reports and the matrix and talk to the media twice twice a day and and live in the bubble of like we have to do this. That's true. But at the end. Man, priorities are priorities. You know, these people here, they're amazing, Uh, they're loving life and different. But there's but there's three different opinions in that room right now up there. You know, if you ask the boys, if you have the boys, they they want me to manage and they have their teams, you know. And if you're like Angelica, she's very polite about it. Let's see what the future.
Speaker 1: The other part of the other part of that equation, and I'm sure that can change, by the way, by the hour.
Speaker 2: No, you should stay, No you should go. I think you should stay.
Speaker 1: The other part of that too, is with all due respect, and I know you're you're humble, You're you're damn good at what you did do. You're great at being a dad. So to have that confidence in that somebody else made a decision about you when you know you've won championships and you could win more championships makes that a little bit easier, as does the fact that they're still getting paid to do what you're doing and traveling all over the place.
Speaker 2: But you know you're good at what you do. That helps.
Speaker 5: So Alex, while Radvey gets his Internet figured out, there I'm gonna I want to jump back into something you were talking about because you're a professional. You were a professional baseball player, that was your career, The need to become a manager, the dedication, the time, everything that you put into that. I was watching a John I don't know if you've seen the John Elway documentary, but it's phenomenal if you haven't seen it. And at the end of it, they talked to him in like a very intimate setting of like everything he had to give up to achieve what he did, the two Super Bowls, the Hall of Fame, and as he was talking about it, it's a lot of reflection now years later, right, I Mean I was a really little kid when John was playing, but so I you know, I didn't have the luxury to see him for a lot of years or anything like that. But but there's a lot of there's a lot of you're giving up a lot, there's a lot of sacrifice in that you're talking about the flip side. Now you're talking about how you're getting to spend time with your family and how important that is to you and all of those things. Can you just share a little bit about the sacrifice, because I don't think people understand the sacrifice and the dedication that big league players, managers all that that you guys put in other coaches, not just managers, other coaches on the staff, minor league coaches, player development people, front office people. I've seen that glimpse, man, and it is dedication. Can you talk a little bit about that and talk a little bit to the youngsters, the youth, the high school the college players on if you're get to chase this dream, this is what.
Speaker 2: The sacrifice looks like.
Speaker 5: And how do you keep a balance in that Alex with a family and what you're trying to do on your personal side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the perfect example for that is our family situation. Angelica, you know, had two miscarriages before having the twins. Her pregnancy in twenty seventeen was a high risk one. A month into the season, it was all red. You know what that means, you know, like you can barely walk, you have to rest, you're taking medicine. It's twins. And while she was here in Puerto Rico, I was in Houston with my first coaching job, and you know, no going to the doctor not knowing everything that it was going on, because yeah, she will tell me that she wasn't feeling right, but there was more into that, you know, and you know, her sacrifice for me to feel comfortable. You know, it goes without saying one of the biggest sacrifices that somebody has made in my life, you know, for me to keep chasing my dream of becoming a big league manager. I flew home July twenty twentieth, took a red eye, got to San Juan July twenty first, walked into the room at eight am, and the boys with the C section were born. Five minutes later.
Speaker 5: Oh no, man, that's a great story.
Speaker 2: Too late. Two days later, two days later, hop on a plane to Detroit. We have a game. I mean, her first kids twins. I'm away, she's here. Then the hurricane happen, you know, like I mean, I can't even imagine, you know, mister Crane, he got us a plane, you know, for for our families. Centtano, Beltron, Sentron Mine, you know, Correas. They hop on a plane, they got to Houston, and that's when everything settled. But the whole year, you know, to look back is the sacrifices the family. That's that's that's that's what it's all about from r N. You know. I know communication is a lot better, it's a lot easier right now, but is you're always missing something. You're always missing something. Yeah, and uh you have to realize that that's part of the job, regardless if you're playing Abel in Viverbridge, Florida. I know they don't have a team there, but I'm gonna walk you through my career. Or you go to San Antonio, Texas and you're missing something, and you go to Albuquerque, Albuquerque the same thing, and then you get called up and all that stuff, and you're flying all over the place, and uh, you will miss something. But the most important thing if you're gonna get if you're gonna get into this life and you are discipline enough and you can grind and have the toughness of you know, like a Dustin PEDROI I listened to him, you know in your show right the way he talks and the way he acts and all that. You gotta be a tough solb to survive here. Some of them they're better. Others, you know, they they have their career, but you gotta be tough, man. You gotta be really tough. And if you do that, there's a reward at the end, right, either after three years in big leagues or five or ten or thirteen and after your coaching career, there are some rewards. But you have to understand that throughout their journey, they're gonna be up and downs. It's not linear, it's not you know, only those guys in Cooper's downs and they they have stories, man, and they struggle and they suffer. Not every career is perfect, you know, there's probably nobody. Nobody had a perfect career, you know, and you have to understand that. But at the end, there's a reward, right, And I think teamwork something that we preach from the get go, goes on the field and off the field. You got to surround yourself with people that really understand this journey. I hate to say this business, but it is a business, but it's a journey. And when you surround with people that can support you and understand you. And I lived it, to be honest with you, after April twenty fifth, people are honest with you, that's when it really matters. Because I can tell you that this woman that I have here, she was very honest after the situation in Boston and whatever could it happen, and she was the one that slow everything down for me and for us, making sure that the family was in the right place for us to move forward whenever we decide to. Very good, yeah, very very important.
Speaker 3: Science experiment for the one minute we had to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt. Just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 6: I love Quints because after a long night out and a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy, a free Keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 3: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested, give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quint dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quin dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: We have a couple of other questions, but I do want to get into because of the uh, you know, the goal of the program here, assuming you get back into coaching, managing, whatever it is you do some of the lessons that you've learned along the way for coaches of kids, for coaches of high school players, for coaches of college players. To me, it feels like Alex that there's not necessarily one golden rule for every club host. I mean, you have to recognize the components of the clubhost to figure out what's going to apply and work in this clubhost. But are there some tenants that would work to helping build chemistry club hosts culture to help you with success that in otherwise if you ignore, maybe it won't go that way.
Speaker 2: I think I believe it's something I learned in Bristol. You don't think you believe, you know, you know, Yeah, I truly believe that in the higher levels in most of the situations, less is more, And what I mean is you gotta let them be. Every group is different. I actually learned the hard way in nineteen. You go from winning the World Series and having that parade in October thirty first to be two and seven after the third road trip. And I remember in uh in spring training and saying we're gonna roll it back. You know, we're gonna do everything the same way and we're gonna be okay. Yeah, right, that doesn't work. You know, you have to understand that every game is different, every practice is different, every season is different. And in the professional level, and this is something I took heat for some reason when I was managing in Boston. Whenever I say the roster is a roster, they thought I was taking a jab at the front offices. No, the roster is the roster. The roster on Monday. The roster on Tuesday might be different than the roster on Monday. On Monday, you play a thirteen inning game and you use all your bullets out of the bullpen. You don't have the same roster on Tuesday. You do not have that. You have guys down. You guys have that. Guys that are not going to pitch, and in the ninth and and maybe your closer is not pitching. You know who might be pitching the guy that you called up that morning because somebody had options and you have to send down. You have to understand that every single day, that every day is different. Every day is different. And this applies to literally two literally you know, we see it, man, like there today there's this kid, Caleb, awesome kid. He loves uh, he loves the w W, he loves and uh little guy boom boom. I mean he uses the pats and all this and I let it just do it. Who cares? So Caleb on Saturday, he was all over the place, all over the place. He was there's a there's a we had a batty mission going he he wasn't into it. We had a soft uh station, he wasn't into it. All he wanted to do that day was to play catch and throw the ball off the wall. But you know what, Caleb, we're not We're not playing catch today. Today's offensive day. And he wasn't into it. So as coaches, we know that Caleb loves playing the game all that, but that day, you know what, we let Caleb do whatever they want, you want to do that, you do that, you do it, but we have to understand that Kaylee wasn't into it that day. So you have to understand that, man. But I think as far as like the other thing, and this is something that you guys know, and you guys have been in big meetings and uh, you know in the off season how we're gonna get better all this and all that. You know, which one I hate when we have those meetings. We have to be better at communication? No, you know what if you are saying that we have to be better at communication, you know what's going on. Your communication sucks, you know, So let's avoid that one. Let's avoid down man like that. I mean, like, let's avoid the oh, we have to be better at communication. Well, you know what, we suck at communication, you know, and that's something that goes from litlely all the way to the big bigs. You know. Let's stop that one. And I think the other the other part of it, and this is something that you have to do in a leadership role. You have to delegate. You have to understand that you cannot do everything by yourself. In two thousand and eight, it was a day game in Fenway, Me and Pedro used to go out half hour before the game just to sit there with Tito and just talk. You know. It was amazing. And then as a manager, that's what I do. You know, like I will show up. I'll be in the dugout thirty or thirty five minutes early, just to sit there. See who comes in, you know, players, and we talk and all that. So we learned that from Tito. So Tito that particular day he goes, he see come here. I'm like, what you got. He's like, you know you're gonna manage? Right, I'm like, Tito, don't try to retire me. Man, I still can play the game. I want to keep playing. No, no, no, Cicelini, he calls me Cicelini, Cicelyna. No no, no, no, no no no. It's not that. I just want to give you one advice and like what you got. He's like, when you become a manager, you have to delegate, and like what you mean? He's like, they see, you have to do the media twice a day. You have to meet with the GM, you have to meet with the trainers. You have to do this. You have to do that. If you don't trust the people that you have in the coaching staff, you're not going to be successful. That's what Meals is here. He goes, that's what Mills is here. He runs the show like, Okay, so in a leadership role, that's what you got to do. Man, Like this guy, this guy the quarterback easy, you know, like he made me better on TV. I went from very being very shy and then not being able to, you know, articulate my ideas, you know, on National TV, Live TV, sweating, sweating hard, ten thirty, the show when it was a show at ten thirty, and little by little, he learned his teammate, Okay, why can't I get from Alex? Why can't I get from Alex? Why can't I get from this guy boom boom boom and the quarterback the quarterback. But he trusted us, He trusted the people around him, and that's why he's very successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what That's also why managers get so upset when when the front office says we're gonna get rid of coaches, because these are the people I trust the most. Show Walter told us the story last week. I mean that cost him his job in New York. I'm not gonna be here if you're gonna let go of my coaches. I mean that you just share to shared a great insight into into the delegation, but the trust factor, the relationship and when it comes to coaches, go ahead, justin. We got a couple of minutes left here with ac.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so good, and we're going to get to the kitchen sink here in a second. I do want to get to a couple couple of things. I just want to get to Matt's question here in the term grind, I think it's maybe a negative connotation to it, but I think it's a great question overall. And he just asked, what's the grind like of being a manager? You just talked about all the things that you have to do right the media, which is just the pounding of the questions over and over. I mean, I find that amazing, the psychological experiment of hearing the same question over and over. Right, what is that grind like of being a manager?
Speaker 2: I can compare that aspect of the job to a soap opera. Right, Days of our Lives right, Like Days of our Lives never ends, right, He's still going right like shand through the hours, like shand through the hour glass. It's amazing every day. We used to watch it in college. But let's say February fifteenth, for my or Florida, a matter of the year, you sit on that bench to talk to the media for the first time. You know, Kevin will put you there or the Great Abbey, you know, Alex first day on the bench at one o'clock, first enemy, I'm like, Okay, who's gonna talk before me? Dave Heim Breslo, you know, Okay, they go first, and then I go, okay, cool, that's the way we're gonna do it. You sit there that day and he starts, and you better make sure you are consistent and you control the narrative for one sixty two plus because as soon as you've given an opening. Oh but in forour myer, she said this, you're done. Yeah. I'm really good at that. I have a good memory, and I kind of like, you know, control the narrative. But it is a tough job. It is a tough job. You have to defend your players, you have to defend the organization. I think a month after I got fired, you know, I thought about it, and you know, you become a firefighter, you know, like any liddle fire. You have to you know, like Okay, no, no, we're not going that way, especially in that city. I mean, if if you're given something, man, they're gonna talk about it forever. You know, Like think about this one, Carl, You think about this one. The Celtics pulled that trade, right the damn Brown The Red Sox were struggling, and all of a sudden, the Red Sox won fifteen fifteen games in a row. Nobody talk about the Celtics anymore. Nobody. It didn't matter, Brad. They were crushing Brat Stevens. They were crushing Brat, I mean crushing. They got hot and they forgot about Brat. That's how it works, you know. Is is that interesting about Alex? But uh, Alex? For the coaches out there, what about the wins? In laws?
Speaker 1: What about the losses? Like they do they impact you? Do you have trouble sleeping? Quick answer on this? I'm just curious. Do the games both you are the outcomes of the games? Like is that a grind part?
Speaker 2: I think the way you play the game is the one that kind of like give you sleepless nights if you are in a stretch that you're not playing well, you're not playing clean baseball. You go through spring training preaching the same things over and over and over and over and doesn't happen. That's when you're like, man, am I doing it right? You know? Do we have to change something? If you're losing games and you're playing good baseball, you know, like, okay, you know it's going to turn around. Yeah, So that that part, you know, it's not lost. I mean, it's how you lost. No, no, it's how you lose. For me, is how you lose. Yeah. All right, let's get to the kitchen sink here. We're running a little deep here.
Speaker 1: So these are quick hitters, Alex, sort of off the cuff questions you give kind of a quick answer on it, and four different questions for you kitchen sink. First question has to do with sort of you and your your baseball life off of the field. What about working on the television side surprised you the most.
Speaker 2: How smart people are. I mean they're very knowledgeable, and not only as far as like the numbers. They know the game situation. Sitting in that green room from from seven to ten and then going back after the show at ten thirty and going back they new situations. Uh, and we're talking about from you to the producers, to the people you know, cutting tapes and all that they have outstanding out the idea of how basically play the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, excellent, that's awesome. All right, let's get to the second one here. This is a little bit deeper here. So people say a baseball season is a marathon. Someone who runs marathons, how do they compare?
Speaker 2: Actually that was my uh, that was my uh swim trained speech. You know, is a marathon. You're gonna go through up and downs, but you're gonna be able to finish, find the finish line and think the next finish line'm gonna find is Chicago in October eleventh. But uh, you're doing another marathon. I think the preparate the preppar. Yeah, we're doing Chicago, Chicagokay, yeah yeah. And if I'm not working, if I'm not working next year, we're doing Boston. Oh okay. Hey, And I would promise to I'm gonna be if you do Boston.
Speaker 1: I'll go with you. I won't run, but I will be there rooting you on. Wait for me at the Lantox Wait for me at the Lantox Hotel. But next question here, going back to the question, going back to the question the preparation.
Speaker 2: The preparation obviously very different, but you have to be prepared for both marathons. You have to, you know, and you have to be on point because if you show up in spring training out of shape and not ready to go, it's going to take you a while to get to where you want to be. And we've seen different examples players doing that right, Like, yeah, they have good seasons, but it take them a while to get to the where they want to be because they weren't ready in the marathon. If you're not ready, man, you probably you're not gonna survive. Man. But when that when that thirteen miles comes, you know, it's half and you're like, I gotta keep going, you know, but I think forget grind and come get me. That's where the grind. Yeah, the grind mentally, the grind is tough, but something that is I don't want to say exactly the same. But September and the last five miles, the fans will get you to the finish line. They will get you there. Adrenaline, we'll get you there. And uh man, when you cross that finish line, in eighteen was amazing in New York was amazing too, great great answer, marathon and a marathon runner.
Speaker 1: Next one here, Where did the names of your twins, Xander and Isander come from?
Speaker 2: So my middle name is that Alexander. So we went Xander, you know, obviously there, and Isander. That's how we call it Isander in Spanish. So it's like and Xander. You know, if you if you actually translate, he's and Sander. Yeah yeah, but he's tough for them, and I feel bad for them, so you know, like he's Sanders, Like what who? Whatever? That's where it comes from. Good ass, both on their toes at all times.
Speaker 5: All right, man, last one here and then we'll get to your MVP. Where is Where is your happy place?
Speaker 2: Uh? Here? Right here in Congoa's my hometown, my hometown. This is where we This is where I grow up. My mom lives five miles from here, My sister lives three miles from here, my other sister two miles from here. Little League, the boys school. We got everything here. Everything that we need, we have it. We have it here. All right?
Speaker 1: Question for us AC MVP. Not the most valuable player, but who's the most valuable person in your life, whether it was when you were growing up, whether it's right now. But who's the most valuable person in your life? I want to say Angelica. Angelica h.
Speaker 2: The obvious one. I can say my mom. But I think since Angelica showed up in in my life, a lot of things happened, you know, and you know it's been a blessing. And I can tell you what we went through this year. It wasn't easy, but it was a lot easier having her around, you know. Camilla, of course, she means the world to me. You know, since she was born, a lot of things changed. But that actually that partnership that they have now, Camilla and Angelica have helped me to deal with a lot, to make me better, to understand the other side of the equation. And without them, you know, I wouldn't be this happy, to be honest with you. Yeah, you look great. I hope you've enjoyed this as much as we have.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: You've shared so many great information. Thank you, Alex, thank you, and good luck with project and you know, let's see what if you dual exactly? Keep on myling man, you look great. So happy for you and thanks for joining us. Thank you brother h