Speaker 1: The police raided your home. They broke your door down, they searched hen that. It wasn't no dungeon, It wasn't no weed. I was surprised, some big bad cops. Let me see where it hurt. My answer to them violating me like that as a rap song.
Speaker 2: Right. You ever seen that movie lion Hart.
Speaker 1: Toward the end Lionheart was fighting with them, broke ribs and that big dude he was just bouncing.
Speaker 2: He tapped the ribs. So that's why you heard that.
Speaker 3: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, rustle, prison, one slice, all my life. I been grinding all my life, all my life, running all my life, sacrifights, crustle, p Pricon, one slice, doctor bron all my life. I've been grinding all my life.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to another episode of Club sha Shay. I am your host, Shanny Sharp. I'm also the proproud of Club shah. We'd first like to think barbershop cutsing cocktails for hosting us today in Las Vegas. Hidden behind a working barbershop in the Cosmopolitan, This Speak Easy brings live music, great cocktails in one of the best nights on the strip. Now let's get to Today's episode, stopping by for conversation on the drink today. Is a Grammy nominated rapper, a multi platinum selling rapper, a global chart topics artist, a creative anthems that stand the test of times. He's a total performer. He's loved by devoted fan based worldwide. He dances, plays the drums, plays the guitar. He's a total musician, an entertainer, and an entrepreneur. He's a cultural icon, a viral sensation, and a fan favorite. He's one of a kind and American hero. He's a champion of free speech, the hungry, hustling American dream. Here he is Afro Man. I love it. I love it. You're the first person to do it right besides myself. I always have to introduce myself. Man, you know what everybody that comes on club shashad. You know I got you know, I know I already know you put this is your doatht up.
Speaker 2: Man. I wish to tell you get some cold forty five. We had that. I'm gonna kick it with you. Where'd you thinking? Ah? Good? Good?
Speaker 1: You know I can't. I gotta drink this slower than I drink cold forty five.
Speaker 2: You know, I appreciate it. Man, thanks for stopping by.
Speaker 1: I said, you got to you are taking the block off of Don King, because this is.
Speaker 2: Something that Don King have the hair. You know, we had his hair. I had the flag going, you know, like I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, you know, there's only what I hear and see, so you don't remember. I know Don Kik and he is because he's from Cleveland. He is one of my inspirations. Like you know, some people hate him, but I love I am the American drink.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I got that from him.
Speaker 1: I got a whole song and I tell him about being the American dream and all this type stuff and his vocabulary and yeah, amen.
Speaker 2: You like Chappelle's in Ohio? What is it? And I think you originally from like Hattiesburg, right, you're from um from LA.
Speaker 1: But you know, my my pop come up in Alabama, you know, summer time back and forth, you know, two years here, two years then.
Speaker 2: So being from l A. What was it about Ohio? What was what's the appeal?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to figure out what Chapelle, because I think from New York, was in Hollywood and said he wanted a nice, quieter life to raise a family. What was the appeal about Ohio to you that that that drew you there?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: It was a girl and some cheap laying. I could talk all day, but I guess I'll go tell you the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the girl, the cheap layer girl and cheap laying. Are you still with the girl? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got I like how I like how to Facebook say they get complicated.
Speaker 2: It's complicated. I like that one. That was a nice album. So have you have you run into Chappelle? Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: We're getting close, man, because you know his people is knowing my people, and you know, I know he's up He's up north by Dayton, right and I'm out southeast, you know, by Cincinnati. I saw on line that you brought purchasing property five acres in Ohio twenty four thousand and today's worth over three hundred thousand. Was that your thought process, because I'm sure money goes a lot further in Ohio than it would in la or a lot of other major cities.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My dad taught me how not to fall in love with a city to the point where it breaks you financially. Okay, you know I always preach don't let a woman break you, and don't let a tourist type sentimental city break you.
Speaker 2: You know, just you know, like get what you need. He said.
Speaker 1: Even the animals migrate, true, Yeah, very true. The animals migrate getting a better life. And you standing there like a food you know. Yeah, would you consider that one of your better purchases, that that that land, that real estate that you was able to put Yeah, real estate is always good because you know, the value go up instead of decrease. Right, So yeah, it was cheap, you know, coming from La I never heard of a fifty thousand dollars house, you know, just just different stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got some.
Speaker 1: I got two places right next to each other, so you know I got but you know I didn't. I haven't heard I heard my dad talk about my grandfather getting land for that type of stuff, right, you know, way back when, yeah, back singing Sam Cook and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was tripping when I heard them kind of prices.
Speaker 1: And you're like, okay, let me, let me, let me get a little piece of this right here and see what's going on. So you got a farm, yeah, is it considered the farm? Do you have animals? Do you raise animal do you grow your own cross. I'm a rapper and I can't hide I do that. I ain't growing nothing, you know. All I want is play my rap music loud without the police showing up.
Speaker 2: I just need some space.
Speaker 1: So you don't so you don't have animals, you don't grow your own food. Is just you just have a big piece of real estate. Yeah, I don't have time. I be rapping all the time. You said one hundred and ninety five acres. You want to build your own community? Yes, Afro Americans. Yeah, I'm gonna say Afro American. I am of African descent. Personally, I feel like we was betrayed and sold to the point where I feel like it's my option to patronize that title or not all due respect to them. If something jumped off and all black people were attacked, I would stand with them for survival great, okay, But I find a lot of them arrogant, condescending, and disrespectful to Afro Americans when they're here on the civil rights that our mothers and fathers and grandfathers fought for. I just think they ought to be a little bit more respectful under all the circumstances. Under circumstances that they betrayed us, backstablished servants sold us and then they're living in America benefiting off of the civil rights that.
Speaker 2: We fought for.
Speaker 1: That being said, you're talking about wide America, correct, No, I'm talking about Africa. I'm talking about Africans that came over right, Okay, African they sold us, they sold us in slavery.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then you know a lot of them are condescending, disrespectful toward Afro Americans.
Speaker 2: Okakay.
Speaker 1: So that being said, I call myself an Afro American, not denying I'm a descendant of an African, but just before the betrayal, I call myself an Afro American. Now, as an Afro American, I don't believe a community, well, they have made them in the past, but they have been destroyed. There's not necessarily a black community or a black friendly community designed by black people for black people. The Greenwood And like I said, they told them down. You're right, okay, I think so it's like it's not our option right now?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes, okay?
Speaker 1: So now I want to improve on a Greenwood. Oh I want to, im I want to I want to come back. I want to try it again and what is this twenty six?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now my quick idea is, like, you know, they say we need to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, so you know, whatever they say, the uh, the forty acres in the mule is the equivalence to the white American, the fact that we can on paperwork, technically speaking, we can do what the white American can do. We supposed to be equal. That's supposed to be our forty acres in the mule. Okay, But I believe that American black people needs. We don't have a place to go, like you know, there's there's all these things. So anyway, I thought about building a city. Now you even got to be a city at the town. Not that I still want access to neutral America, but the Afro American doesn't really have a place to go.
Speaker 2: Now there's another thing.
Speaker 1: I don't you know, positive black people that don't want their kids being called the N word.
Speaker 2: They don't have a community.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, like everybody, you know, you got to get there's no sacred place to get right. So I wanted to make one an anti in word Afro American community. That word bothers you, huh, it does. Why, Well, well, first of all, this is here the thing. Here's the thing. It's the most offensive word in the English language. I watch this right here. Everybody got freedom of speech. You got the right to say it, But in my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, I got the right to not hear it.
Speaker 2: M hm. That being said, now, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Be logical when I go to Walmart and the airport. I'm gonna know I'm in neutral territory and I'm not gonna go crazy if I hear it. Right, But if I can, there's nothing wrong with me building a place where you don't have to hear. Yes, sir, do they bother you in rap songs? Do you hear? Do you hear any I? Because this is in a lot of rap songs, is in a lot of a lot of popular raps, so a lot of it's been going on for years now. I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: If I'm a Laker fan, I don't say fuck the Lakers, okay, right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I know some some some you know, like if I'm a white man, you know, I don't call myself white trash. Some dudes might do it, and they have a little ego, swag to it, but for the most part, you're gonna be pro what you are.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, in my opinion, I don't believe black people are to address each other with the most offensive word in the English language encourage other people to join in and do it.
Speaker 2: Also, that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: Right now, I understand that outside of my body, the next man is living his life liberty and his pursuit of happiness. So that's why I'm just talking to you, you know, discussing my plans to live in harmony and around these type of situations. So you you want to establish a community, not just with family or friends, but you want you wanted to be all encompasses anybody that wants to come in, purchase a piece of property and set up shop. But you wanted to be harmonious. You don't want to you know, no negative. You don't want negativity. You want to use of the N word. You want people to prospering to be happiness like this right here.
Speaker 2: You got freedom of speak.
Speaker 1: Yes, the people that come inside this community, I don't want them to have the desire to use their freedom of speech in that world. Okay, And so all we're saying is if you want to use your freedom of speech to use the N word and insult black people, whoever, just do it on the other side of this fence. And I bought the property, so you know, it ain't like this. Ain't like in the middle of the time square where I'm gonna just make anybody in this zone start obeying all these weird rules, you know what I'm saying. So I think it's a I think it's a realistic compromise. Just a just a place, just a place to just a place, a zone of respect, just a zone where a young black soul, a young Afro American, he don't have to get contaminated with negativity because random spirits got access to him, a place where he can hear, Hey, you're a brother, you are an Afro American, You're a sub brother.
Speaker 2: You're a good person.
Speaker 1: Better now on the other side of this wall, people are gonna address you with other things, but you're not that. You know what I'm saying, The option to give life some good people. Yeah, something positive, Yes, sir, When was the last time you said the N word? Of being called the IN word?
Speaker 2: I mean they I mean on the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean even if I say something and somebody don't like it, you know, here it come. Of course, I when I said it when I was young, when I was young, like thirteen fourteen, and then I think I even said it after I was twenty.
Speaker 2: On this one song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I was so hard for saying it, But I figured other black dudes was gonna buy my tape, right, I didn't, you know, I didn't know, you know whatever. So but I kind of cut it out around I held it, slowed it down, and I know I cut it out around two thousand. Okay, Wow, that was a conscious you said. You know what, I don't. I don't want to be addressed like that. But I also I don't want to I don't want to be a part of the stereotype that address another brother in that manner. Because if we say this, if it's taboo for them to use it, let it.
Speaker 2: Let's make it taboo for us to use it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the part I don't understand, you know, like like you know, you know, and I I have to acknowledge the fact there are self proclaimed in words. I have to step back and let these brothers exist, right, Okay, now, I'm gonna let them exist. But I am gonna distinguish myself from them.
Speaker 2: And I love them.
Speaker 1: I do business with them, I do this, that and the other. But you know, they get the N word too long. I'm gonna I'm gonna get my I'm gonna get my atmosphere. We're gonna coexist, you know what I'm saying. But there are self proclaimed in words. So there's got to be other brothers and sisters that feel like I do. And I just need to get where I need to be and create us a space it is. I think every subculture has a way of relating and talk to each other in a negative term, negative way. I think gay people, gay and lesbian people talk to each other in their subculture. I think women call each other the B word in their subculture. I think, you know, transgender and things, they talk to each other. And so I don't have Hispanics or whatever, the Asian whatever, you me, and I love what you said that that's their freedom of speech. And if that's the way you choose to me, I don't I necessarily have to be around it, but I'm okay with that, and that's what I've adopted. If that's the way you want to communicate in your subculture and I've never been one.
Speaker 2: Is like, man, well.
Speaker 1: You called them, called them a negative term, or you called her a negative term. Why can't Well, I'm not in that subculture. I'm not of that ethnicity. So I but I've never wanted, I've never liked. Because somebody else said something to somebody, I felt I had the right to say it too, just because I got freedom of speech.
Speaker 2: That's just me. Everybody might not feel that way.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's a thin line between freedom of speech and disturbing the peace. So you know you ought to use your freedom of speech to do something important. You want to be civil, You want to actually get some progress with your freedom of speech. You don't want to insult somebody and then they beat you up or kill you.
Speaker 2: Well, a freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence. But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You got freedom of speech, but there is no windshield between your face and that man fist, and we're gonna have to holler at you later after we get that dude off your ass. So it's a thin line between disturbing the piece and freedom of speech. So you know, people use their freedom of speech to antagonize people. And yes, you know like you got that, but don't cry when you get what come with that?
Speaker 2: Right? You know, yes, you know so.
Speaker 1: But you also own property Oklahoma, California, Mississippi. Why is it so important for you to own? Operatly? And that's a great thing. I mean that you own property in all these places? Do you just have homes or you just if that's something? You want to build a community in all these places?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like, I want to know where the anti in word Afro Americans are.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You have a sign up? I mean, you know, we may not have to do it like that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. But what's life, liberty and pursuit of happenings?
Speaker 2: Correct? What's wrong with me pursuing my happiness? Right?
Speaker 1: I'm not happy with people just randomly approaching me using the in word and it's all good.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna go crazy.
Speaker 1: But I got to find that out to the point where that's you know, that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. That can't be.
Speaker 1: That can't be all day every day, you know, and they send you the anger management, right, I gotta manage my anger. So we just need a little space. You lived in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. What was that like? At what age were you in Hattiesburg? It's gonna probably be like eight, nine, ten, eleven, and what late eighties? Yes, sir, like mid to late eighties. Yeah, so what so? What so? What was it like? What was it like for somewhere between an eight and a twelve year old growing up in hatties Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Good times.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of fields, and we used to like to play football. You know, everybody Mama wake up and cook, feed them. Now she gotta wash the dishes and clean the house and it so everybody mama kick them out the house, right.
Speaker 2: And we had we all lived around these big fields.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we played football and you know, as soon as you come out the house, you own a team, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was the only.
Speaker 1: Child, so I had a lot of fun and Hadisburg with all them kids right in them big fields. All we needed was one football, that's it. And by twenty two people, you know, have a good time. You know, is a scorching sports summer and you can make all your picks on prize picks. The WNBA and baseball seams are heating up and with big Tennis Slams and major golf tournaments on the horizon. You can make your picks for all of these events all summer long on Prize Picks, a number one sports pick app.
Speaker 2: Download the app today.
Speaker 1: Use coach Shannon to get fifty dollars instantly in lineups when you play your first five dollar lineup. That's coach Shannon to get fifty dollars in lineups after you play your first five dollar lineup. Prize Picks a preferred partner of the NBA. So what what's the what's the cuisine? What is Mississippi known for? If I said, okay, this like in Chicago is probably deep dish pizza or New York you might have you know, salamia, you know barbecue if you from Texas, and so if I say Mississippi, if I say, bro, what hey, bro?
Speaker 2: What what's up? What's the cuisine?
Speaker 1: What's what's one dish that's generalized or specific to Mississippi?
Speaker 2: What would you say? It is? Chicken?
Speaker 1: Chicken is one of our major exports, So you know fried chicken. Now I would say this as a fifty one year older now that I look at the whole thing, Okay, the Gulf is a splash off of New Orleans to a rock and it landed in New Orleans all those little ways.
Speaker 2: It's like Mobile is a baby New Orleans. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh you know, Golfport, Mississippi. Yeah, it all out there. You start seeing them a little funny little French little balconies and stuff. So uh, you know, you know, so Cajun food, there's always an option. You can always, you know, get you some gumba. But then you know there's that good old you know, you know, American soul food and country food, whatever you want to call it. Uh, you know you're gonna get you some some collar greens and some fried chicken.
Speaker 2: And you know that's right.
Speaker 1: Did they did you did your your mom or your grandparents? Did they allow you to cook? Can you cook? I got my dishes? You know what I'm saying. I ain't gonna just you know.
Speaker 2: You ain't about to go to the kids and just this up for y'all.
Speaker 1: I mean I will, I will, so when you cook it, Okay, I cook the best shrimp fried rice in the world. Okay, hey man, let's see here. I can barbecue wings really good. I can barbecue river It's really good.
Speaker 2: You like on the grill or on the stove?
Speaker 1: I mean I like a charcoal grill. Okay, you like charcoal? Okay, you ain't. You ain't with that gas. No, either be barbecue or we're gonna go in the house. You know what we do, well we had Yeah, they come out here. You brought the house out here with the thing. We might as well go in the house.
Speaker 2: And use the stove.
Speaker 1: Because I got how you made because I got you made that song in Mississippi and it's still popular today.
Speaker 2: Tell me what was going through your mind?
Speaker 1: Because it's interesting because now that I got you here and you got all these anthems, I want to know at the time of you making that song, what was going through your head. I remember I was gonna clean up my room, and I was selling my CDs and stuff, so like kids would come over to my house and they had buy them from me cheap, and they'd go flip them.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. I hustled you.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, that's how the world worked, wholesale retail.
Speaker 2: You can't have it all. You know, the little man need to eat.
Speaker 1: He ain't gonna come holler at you right on, So you know, I was just trying to get mine. I was trying to stay. It was working for me. So he came over. He wanted some CDs. He wanted to smoke a blunt before he left. So I'm like, alright, i'm'a smoke a blunt. It was a polite way to get rid of him, you know what I'm said. I'm like, alright, i'm'a smoke this blunt with you. So he said, man, you gotta hit this song. So it was, uh, it was pimpcy and it was one day you hit it and you're gone right then it start and it kind of it was one of the mood changes and the dude sounded like our green it came on.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 1: Wown wowd woine wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: He said, one day year here and then you're gone.
Speaker 1: N doom doom done d and man, I we it w it. It was depressing, but it was good. It was real right by how you can be alive today and go there tomorrow and and and it it j It was just taking and we was hitting that weed and you know that songs beat, and we kept playing it over and over and I just got into it. We got out the talking. Then some girls came over, had some beers.
Speaker 2: Hold on all this at your mom house.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't stay with my mom, Okay, yeah that was my My dad moved to the country and he rented that house to me. All I had to do was, you know, pay the land taxis and this, that and the other.
Speaker 2: Oh were you at this point? I'm like, I'm like twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, back for a second, I thought you like you were still like a teenage or something. No, no, this's because I got high. I'm fifty one, so I was twenty something. Okay, okay, that was about twenty five year, twenty six, twenty Yeah. So I took and they came up. We got the drinking. Long story short, I didn't get nothing done right, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I was gonna clean up today, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, man, hi with that dude, start playing that music and got drinking the beers and none of this stuff got done. Then I started looking at other stuff, and then I I started writing them a little song, a little little verses, and everything put it together.
Speaker 2: So what age did you decide that you wanted to become a rapper. That's gonna be twelve okay, so who are some of your influences.
Speaker 1: I loved the whole game at first. I was I was fascinated by any man that could talk while he He could rhyme while he talked, so like it was oh yeah yeah. Whini was my first introduction in the hip hop. It used to be this dude, like I was. My people was church people, so we couldn't play what they called secular music. So like this dude had a radio and he had walked by my house to go to the store and get him a big goat. And the only rap music I could hear was when this dude walked by my house.
Speaker 2: With that radio. You next to a circle kd Nah.
Speaker 1: It was a junior food market down in the south back then. I don't know if you've ever seen them all right, but it was Whodini was five minutes to fun. I remember, I've been sitting in my room. I can hear that through the window then and then I get him start running through the house, dude and I hit the yard and I cheer him mom. And he had always shake my hand with the box like yeah, you know. He always made sure he walked by my house for me. Played at Hudini. You know, freaks come out at night? Friends?
Speaker 2: Do you create? Howard Stearns for making uh because I got high popular?
Speaker 1: How you know, thank I thank him for throwing a big stick on the fire, right, but because I got high and made itself popular on that first form of YouTube called Napster. Okay, you know I wasn't hip to it back then, but everybody else was. How did he hear about the song he got off a napster because he didn't buy.
Speaker 2: It for me?
Speaker 1: Hey, but you were nominated for a Grammy for that song, right, yes, sir, so, I mean you were in the same category as Missing Get your freak on. She won dm X Who We Be? Jay Hole was in there is oh Nelick Ride with Me, but it's heavy hitters and they like damn. But the mere fact that that little song a kid from you were in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and they got those big, big conglomerates pushing them and you're sitting at the table with them. How did that make you feel that he's like, Okay, this is what I was supposed this is what I'm supposed to do. Back then, I was mad because I didn't win it. But as a oh man, I'm smiling from here.
Speaker 2: To here like damn. Alright, were good? Right, ye? My nomination is cool? Right.
Speaker 1: Uh. Soldier Boy claims he's the first viral rapper on the internet, but you was before show Soldier Boy. You that was God. You know, God bless him. I thank you from Mississippi. You know, he he he younger, and you know I don't.
Speaker 2: You know, God bless him.
Speaker 1: He push his fame and make his money, you know, but you know I'm older than I remember my kids came in the room and told me about soldier ployment. Right, my kids, Hey, dandy, they said they were doing that you cranky. They was doing the Superman and that man crank that. Yeah, they was enjoying it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was happy to see him enjoying it. I played with him, but I came out in two thousand and Mine hit around two thousand, two thousand and one, so you know, I think he was like two thousand and five or something like that, right there, six or something like that. I don't know your music spiked after the defamation lawsuit. Did you ever think that, because like a lot of times, I mean, we get this a lot, like when when the entertainers when they performed at the Super Bowl, all of a sudden, they get this huge spike in the music where people have you know, they knew who they are, They've been doing their thing, but they get a huge spike, especially in a lot of their old stuff and even their new stuff.
Speaker 2: It's spikes. Is did you think this would happen with you? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, I called myself the male team of Turner. Oh, they gotta skeleton leg and it's to let her head look like a shock like I got. But what's love got to do with this? I'm back baby?
Speaker 2: And I knew.
Speaker 1: I always loved the way she came back as an old woman because once that movie came out, What's Love got to Do with? All her old stuff?
Speaker 2: Private?
Speaker 1: But you know that song came out before that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah that song was in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something I get. I get a as a musician. I get this spark of positivity and hope when she come out because I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know her, I don't like I don't like all the.
Speaker 1: You know, I came on the scene with What's Love Got to Do with It?
Speaker 2: And Private Dancer, all those songs.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I you know so I just I just Tina Turner taught me. Damn, it ain't over until it's blankety blank over, right, So every time I get depressed, I always play What's Love Got to Do with It? So these songs upload, so every time they play them on Spotify and YouTube, you get a little kickback.
Speaker 2: Hume, you know whatever that is.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, a lot of people complain about that hair fraction of a penny, you know. Uh, Jesus said it's better to give than it is received.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember they'll play a rapper song free on the radio, right, But then that help you know, it was out right, So that helped the rapper get the word out that his records were so, you know, like it all balance out in my mind, Like, if I don't get it from the record company, I'm gonna get it from the concerts. If I don't get it from the concerts, I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get it somewhere.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't keep it from me, right, It's gonna come to me some kind of crazy way. But you know, in the beginning, you know, you had to play radio stations. I mean they would play the radio station to spin yards and so to play your records.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Watch this.
Speaker 1: I didn't have to pay nobody to put out because I got high.
Speaker 2: If it's good enough, you can't stop it. I like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't pay no promote, And later on in life, I was paying people to position my records in front of the story. Couldn't verify that they was doing it this day and the other.
Speaker 2: And then I thought, I.
Speaker 1: Told myself, I didn't have to do that because I got high, Because I got how. I did that by itself. So that's just a hustle and a rip off. But your music video beat Taylor Smith and Bruno Mars on YouTube. I don't know about that, but it sounds good. A couple of Simpsons. I like the way that sound. I just like the way that sounds. I don't know if that's true, hey, but this companed me. We just liked the way that sid After watching a friend grow through a loss a few years back, I saw how quickly grief turned to financial stress. No one deserves the feeling that I saw him feel. Ever, and I mean no one. No matter what I offered to help, it wasn't enough. And I promised my family I would never make them feel the same way my buddy felt. Trust me. That experience watching a friend go through financial stress while grieving change how I thought about protecting my family. Life insurance isn't about protecting the worst, but it's about making sure the people that you love are supported no matter what. That's why we at Club Shayshape recommend insurance through Ethos. Ethos makes getting life insurance fast and easy one hundred percent online. You can get a quote in seconds, apply in minutes, and get same day coverage. How much easier can protecting your loved ones get. There's no medical exam, You just answer a few simple health questions. Take minutes to get covered today with life insurance through Ethos. Get a free quote at ethos dot com slash shay shape that's e t h os dot com slash shay shape. Application times may vary, race may vary. Protect your family with life insurance from Ethos now by going to ethos dot com slash sh shit The lawsuit Did you have any idea that lawsuit would blow up?
Speaker 2: Like it did?
Speaker 1: Not like that, not like not like this, not like that, I know, like I know it was interesting in my Afroman world. So like I had, I averaged thirteen comments, you know, uh, thirteen twenty. You know, I'm like, all right, I get up in the forties and fifties, you know, man, I started doing cabbage.
Speaker 2: Pack and everything, like man, all right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I knew I didn't think it would blow up like this because I've been trying to run my followers up for years. But the just the police officers announcing that they were suing me, that outraged the world to the point where they were just interested, like the police was bringing me the the number. Help the people that don't really didn't follow this case to understand the case. The police raided your home because they thought you were a drug dealer.
Speaker 2: You had something going on. Why what brought the police to your residence?
Speaker 1: An unconfidential informant told the police she got busted with some whatever she had right to get out of that, she started making up stories about me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: She told him that I had a dungeon and I had kidnapping victims, and she told him that I had a lot of weed like whatever, and that's what.
Speaker 2: They came looking for, you know.
Speaker 1: Their their excuse was we had to get the kidnapping victims out of there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, so we got to move right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then he got, you know, a pyramid of marijuana.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And and then you know so by her saying that, you know that they know that they came immediately. That got the cuffs off of her, and they jumped in their cars and came around there and you know, kicked down my door.
Speaker 2: But you have, like.
Speaker 1: Was so, you have surveillance, You got cameras watching your property and all that. So when they get in you did you see them coming? Could you see them on your when I backed it up? You know? I you know, I wasn't riding around looking at my surveillance being another board.
Speaker 2: But you weren't. Were you Were you home when they came? I was not? Oh so how did you know they were there? Were you? So when you looked at your camera, when you looked at your.
Speaker 1: I got I got the car that they were swarming all around the house. And then I pulled off the freeway, pulling the speedway. It got me a big mountain, dew, big goat. Open that door through that sea. Don't recline. It hit my little app and uh, you know, started checking them out.
Speaker 2: Could you talk to them? Could you? Could you? Could you? Can you?
Speaker 1: I didn't have that one, sata. Okay, you know, you know, I'm new to the video era. I'm just happy. I just want to see who took whatever. Okay, okay, so now you go. Okay, you get the call. Hey, hey bro, they got caught. They got cop cards everywhere. I don't know what you did or what you said, but they are here. You need to get home. So you get your mountain too big up. You head to the crib. You get there and they say what, I don't head nowhere. I stayed right there in that speedway, probably at sipping that another frocking mountain de So you don't go home. I don't talk to people where they are fifteen okay. I talked to people with coneye at and weed and women and louisey. Okay, I don't talk to people running around with arpl That's not the guy I want to see today.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So so when did at what point? When did you get home? And were they still there when you got home?
Speaker 2: No, I made they was gone, okay, but you knew they were coming back for what we they wanted to see if what the dungeon was. They searched the how that it was no dungeon?
Speaker 1: Were you what about the weed? It wasn't no weed, So it wasn't no dungeon. There is no weed, no weed. Okay, So so what was so what was the issue? So did they offer you an apology? So I'm sorry, no, No, We.
Speaker 2: See it all the time.
Speaker 1: People pick up the phone and give the police like a fake call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we said, oh I'm being attacked, Oh, this, that and the other. I'm just old. But this one was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that kind of lie. It was a different type of right.
Speaker 2: It was a lie.
Speaker 1: Hey, let me out of this and I'll tell you about something. But it was a lot that still could have got someone hurt. Yes, yes, oh yeah, because I can imagine if you were home. I'm like, bro, police, ain't nobody call y'all? And when we call you sometimes you take forever to get here. Now, all of a sudden you show up unprompted, and then you said they kicked you. They broke your door down. They're gonna feel some type of way. You expect this, I mean, door fly off the hedges, you might grab the piece in their boom. All that because somebody told a lie and then unfortunately life is life is launched. And what I don't like is to this day there's no punishment for her giving them false information and making all of this jump off.
Speaker 2: See what I'm saying? What about?
Speaker 1: So they have they repaired the door, uh, indirectly with the ass.
Speaker 2: Thanks to me.
Speaker 1: They yeah, they you know, they inspired the money in, you know, so.
Speaker 2: You start to get it. So let me so, okay, y'all do this to me. Okay, first of all, you raid my house.
Speaker 1: You you believe somebody that had something to gain from this to get out of that, they put me into it, which wasn't true. So you know what, So how did you come up with this? You know what, I know what I'm gonna do. I got something for y'all. What how did you come up with the these anthems that you know? The livon pound? Man, I've been doing it for years. You know, I started rapping at twelve.
Speaker 2: Okay. It was a girl, bully. She was cute. She she had brand new clothes on.
Speaker 1: And you know, my parents, we was back from Mississippi and my dad didn't believe in fifty dollars, tennis shoes. Oh no, yeah, yeah, yeah, you boy, get out of here, you know. And so these little La kids was wow, they was you know, they had feels on and dad wasn't fitting by medium, and I had old ringers.
Speaker 2: And so she picked up.
Speaker 1: She stood by the gate, her and her loud homegirls, and they picked on everybody raggedy.
Speaker 2: So she was light skinned and her she had a slight mustang. She was cute. Yeah, it fell in just right.
Speaker 1: It was, you know, I kissed. So she's still cute. But she had a little much that. Her name was Carrie. So Lottie Dotty was a hot song. And I wrote my first rap song instead of Lottie Dotty. I wrote Harry Carry so could say something.
Speaker 2: I listen to him.
Speaker 1: I kind of write mine, kind of figured out how to structure it and everything right. So I wrote it, memorized it. So I went to school. She said something to me and like I always say, rapping was a crazy you attempt to do it. People gather around like a fight. I jumped up. I like I was doing my little Douggie. I was doing my slick rick part. I was like, all right, ray mean elementary screwed. My buddy was beatboxing doing like the Dougie fresh Bright and so I was like, Harry Carey, and you remember the old man they say, when you go down on a woman, it makes you put put hair on your face.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I said, Harry Carey ate her on, Cherry. That's why her lips are very very and you know that was that was that was good to go in eighty six. And so her name to to this day is Harry Carey.
Speaker 2: Man, come on, you don't stuck that. You stuck that young lady with.
Speaker 1: It started back just like a serial killer at I think, but I'm a serial rapper. It started with Harry Carey. Then I have my eighth grade teacher, this kid I was, you know, I had to move out of South Central. I'm living up there in Palmdale. You know, I'm going to school. The little white kid say, you know, they gonna slip me a racial joke. But I know I noticed how they was. They was good that they they did give one, but they'd take one right.
Speaker 2: So we was good.
Speaker 1: So I'm sitting in class, so this one he goes, hey, joby, and so they just called me back.
Speaker 2: Then he goes, he goes, what do you He said, what do you call a black snurf? He goes snigger? And so it was funny. I laughed. As I was laughing, I flipped him off.
Speaker 1: She she sends me to the office for flipping them off, but she doesn't send him to the office for telling them the snigger joke.
Speaker 2: So I get mad at her. I go home and make a.
Speaker 1: Rap song about her, Oh my goodness, and then that was my next hit. Then the little Palm deal kids was buying my Miss Dobler tape. I made a song called Miss Dover So you got so, okay, you make limon pound cake? Will you help me repair my door? The police raid? Why you disconnected my camera? Randy Water, there's the son of a beat. So I'm just like, So, were you surprised when they said, you know what, we found a defamation suit against you. Were you surprised that they went to this level to get retribution against you even though they were wrong in the first place? Yeah, okay, yes, and I'm gonna tell you I was. I was surprised on so many levels. First of all, before I get to run in my mouth and lose too much time. I was surprised at the fact that they let me know it hurt. Okay, now we learned that lesson as little kids. Don't let them know it hurt. Man, and I'm a rapper.
Speaker 2: I was like, what.
Speaker 1: You would they suing me over some post and a song about a man looking at a pound cake. I ain't even got started yet, you know, So I was like, you ever seen.
Speaker 2: That movie Line Hard? Yeah? Remember when he hit him.
Speaker 1: Linehard toward the end, Linehart was fighting with them broke, and that big dude he was just bouncing.
Speaker 2: He tapped them real, So that's why you heard. I was.
Speaker 1: I was surprised, some big bad cops let me see where it hurt. And I was surprised that that words was hurting them because I'm like, I'm hurting from reality, the reality of them kicking down my door, running through my house with guns, and I can't answer that. My answer to them violating me like that is a rap song.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: That's That's what's embarrassing and hurtful to me. But with all of this power, with all of this authority, they can't stay on that pedestal. They're gonna let my peasant words hurt them. That's the part that surprised me. And then all of the other parts, like you raise my house, you steal my money, you disconnect my cameras, and then you assue me when I say something. Nobody, the audacity, the outrage, the spectacle, And then as I tripped, I realized the world was tripping with me, and that's when I cracked the mouth. You know, when you go in the wrong direction, you can't turn around soon, orenough. You look at you, you look at your GPS, that blue line going back the other way, and I'm looking at them. They been going in the wrong direction for three four five years, and I knew it, you know, but they didn't know it.
Speaker 2: They can't.
Speaker 1: You know, when you mess up, you know, it's best to take that deep breath, say hey, I'm sorry, yeah, and get that over with. Yes, don't keep that going because you're wrong and you're going the wrong way. But they messed up. They doubled down, They didn't care, and they just splashed and they puddle the wrong you know, suing me, stealing the money, all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Did you get your money back? No? No, no, Why haven't you gotten the money back? Are? They say? They're gonna rea, They're gonna compensate you. They haven't made no kind of plan. I still got to go after him.
Speaker 1: But there was a deputyte on camera checking out the cake and said he received hundreds of pound cakes that work from different people. So you had a cake on the tail in the kitchen and he was over there and you can see him looking at it.
Speaker 2: You can see him. Did he cut us lives?
Speaker 1: Did he get the cameras got disconnected and the cake came up missing too.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Come on, the man, we reopened this investigation. Man, I know, damn well, they ain't take your cake. Man, Where is it at? Where is it at? Man? I thought coughs like donuts. They don't like cake. Man. These some Ohio cops, they have switched it up a little bit. Man. There's some there's some these some country cops.
Speaker 1: Man, they liked that. They like Mama's living pound cake.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: But but but listen to a little bit of the trial and they was like, well he said this, and people said and one guy was talking about how you know his kids asked if it was his wife cheating all human things like that, And I'm like, really.
Speaker 2: Watch this right here. Watch this.
Speaker 1: Would the world know one of the cops had a pedophile brother and he's a statutory rapist if he hadn't assued me, would they know that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, would the world know that one of the cops is married to an ex convict thief.
Speaker 2: If they had not tried to sue me? No?
Speaker 1: No, would the world know that Sean Groomes blamed his divorce on me and his wife was my only witness that contradicted his whole story if he had not tried to sue.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: These are self efflicted wounds discovery.
Speaker 2: They brought this on them.
Speaker 1: They exposed themselves to the whole world being wrong, honoery and greedy. They was they If they would have just said, hey man, if they hadn't even apologized, if they would have just left them, just shut up, let them let me sing my little songs. If they just would have shut up, it would have went away. You know, they brought attention to it by reacting to it. They let me know it hurt. Then they let the world know it hurt. I didn't mail those palel cakes to them.
Speaker 2: The world know hurt. The world messing with them.
Speaker 1: They just like that dude on lionheart. They see that broke rib so they did wrong, and instead apologizing for the wrong, they tried to go after compensation from you.
Speaker 2: They try to they.
Speaker 1: Trying to let they bullying me. They're letting me know, hey, we're wrong, we're bad, we're the government, so you can't do nothing about it. That's their message to me and they But the problem was they did that live stream in front of the world. Now you can do that to me in an alley nobody looking. That's what they're accustomed to doing. What they didn't realized was they were doing this in front of the whole world, and it's different when the whole world's watching. This concludes. The first half of my conversation. Part two is also posted and you can access it to whichever podcast platform you just listen to part one on. Just simply go back to Club Shay profile and I'll see you there.