Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done Done, Hello and welcome back to That's Messed Up n SVU podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Kara Klink and I'm Liza Traeger. We talk SVU true crime. We have celeb gas at first, sweet chit chat. Get used to it. Listen. I have a little Apple Juice book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say you drinking a little honest kids.
Speaker 2: Well, because sometimes when I order delivery, I don't want a fountain drink or caffeine like late at night, so I'll pick the apple juice or it was it was a McDonald's fist and I picked the apple juice because I didn't want I want better coffee. I didn't want a soda in the morning, you know. And I didn't want a milk or a chocolate milk. And I have tons of water bottles.
Speaker 1: These are the kind of juices I get for all my kids parties, and the kids always like want them, and then they drink like two SIPs and then leave them because they are very they're quite watery, right, Like wouldn't you say, Well.
Speaker 2: I'm an adult, so like I don't know, maybe i'm looking oh yeah, no added sugar, but I like yeah, apple sauce. So like maybe I didn't I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't say anything. But maybe if I had a Martinelli's next to me, I would.
Speaker 1: Write like, compared to like a martinettal at least or I mean or compared to like a Caprice Son. You can put put out Caprice Sons at a party. Those things are wrong out within an inch of their lives. Well that wouldn't be ap Oh my god.
Speaker 2: If I can get what is it a cool it's not a cool ranch, but they have one that's like a cool name that it's fucking good.
Speaker 4: But I love fruit punch too. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm drinking those at parties because a lot of parties for kids, they're only if they're putting out parent drinks, they're only putting out specific cooler. But if they only put out Lacroix at a party, I'm going for the Caprice Sons or the juice boxes because I don't like carbonated Uh, I like soda, like straight up like full fat coke, but I don't like uh seltzers.
Speaker 2: I knew someone that lived in Chicago and they had like a cruise themed party at their house and with syringes, they may they put vodka into the caprice sons.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a fun little idea. Syringes you got to do.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to bring a syringe into my life, Like that's not really I don't need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think we need syringes, But you.
Speaker 4: Know what I need.
Speaker 2: I want fancy jungle juice. When I go out to drink, like people just start doing jungle juice, high end jungle juice high end, Like yeah, I want to go to a nice ass rest and order a jungle juice and be like wait, what is this and like what's going on?
Speaker 1: And it just tastes like punch, but it gets you like super fucked up after like two. Yeah, I guess that's like the sangrias I used to get at Alta in the city. I used to get two and they were light light pink, like you know, it was supposed to be red sangria, but it was like light pink, light purple.
Speaker 4: So fucked. Like, if I had two, I was wasted.
Speaker 1: If I had three, it was like, get me a cab, I gotta go home, Like they were love that.
Speaker 2: I love when you can go somewhere and just have two drinks that are well balanced, not sweet, you like sweet, but like just boozy, delicious, refreshing in your fucks. That's why I like Tiki, because I get fucked at Tiki and they're like good and delicious and there's you know, a dolphin shaped out of a banana.
Speaker 4: You gotta love that.
Speaker 1: Definitely. This episode is coming out like in the in later in Augus, I'm like, what's that. Well, Virgo season is a mom it's happening. Yeah, it's upon us. Well, it's like almost there. It's almost there. We're a couple eaves away or something. I think it's like the twenty first or twenty second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Virgo season is in full of fat, Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 1: You know, shit like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But August, I mean for kids, it's like school. So my mom said, like, we're you know where we're from. Every every everyone went to school on September first. That was the first day of school, and it was what it was like no matter what, it didn't matter what. Well, it's communism, but yeah, right September first, and everyone brings flowers for.
Speaker 1: That, I mean, bring the communism to La Baby Rosi's first day of school is August fourteenth.
Speaker 4: I mean she's not gonna be there for it, but.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's uh, it's so early, Like August is crazy for school. Yeah, I thought you'd be happy because you like your kids out of the house. Well yeah, but I guess you're already be at camp. Yeah, it's like we do camp, we do stuff in the summer, and it's just I just feel like it's also sad to be like at school, Like even they start going to sleep away camp, it's not even over until like the seventeenth, you know what I mean, in the sixteenth or something. So I don't know, like they're gonna have to be late for school like every year of their lives. I guess I don't know. Right now, I'm doing it because they're so young, and like what could they possibly be learning on the first day of like you know, pre k that's going to really matter too bad, But like I don't know, later when it's like sixth grade, they might be like I was late for school and I missed like this paper I had to write.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I always tell the teachers, I go, send me the work, send me the work for the rising first grader. Apparently the homework is really going to be pumped up next year.
Speaker 2: I'm so against homework for children. I'm so against school starting before Labor Day weekend. I think it should be post Labor Day weekend until Memorial Day weekend. And if you can't teach what you need to teach without homework in that time, then we need to like restructure. I mean whatever, education's over, so it doesn't matter. We don't have to stop. I know, teachers, listen. I wish you the best.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, everybody, don't forget to go to our Instagram highlight that's called teachers, and you can find a link in there to like our Google sheet that has all of the TMU listeners who are teachers that need help with their wish lists. Because we do appreciate teachers, but it is a difficult job. And a woman that ran a wrestling company is in charge of you right now, so we understand that's tough. I'm getting a heavy yesterday. I had really been avoiding it. My parents really have been cool about the Fox News, But yesterday I got a heavy dose of it when I was watching when I was making dinner for my kids and they were just watching it, and I was just like, like, you know, there's all this like what about is them? Like yeah, but the right makes fun of the like the left makes fun of the right. Also, It's like sure, sure, but like if you go on CNN or MSNBC, you do not hear the same tone. The way they talk about Democrats on Fox News is as if they are the scum of the earth. And I want to be like, you know, that's like all your kids to my parents want to be like that's all your kids, that's all your my mom's brothers and sisters, like they all like everybody votes Democrats. Like they talk about people like they are cockroaches, Like there's like a sneering like well, negativity.
Speaker 2: They have to start this because once all the like Mexican people and brown people are locked up, they're going to turn towards any dissenters, you know, Like I don't know, we.
Speaker 4: Just have it's like color by numbers.
Speaker 2: It's like we really know all the pieces, and it's just like hoping they take longer or we get out, Like when do we get out? Like I don't. It's like crazy, like people are taken. There's a secret police. He's firing anyone that disagrees with him. People are getting assassinated. There's nothing real. They're shutting down anything that's good for society, and it's just.
Speaker 1: Like hey, guys, like what the fuck? But yeah, of.
Speaker 4: Course they don't want them to think that we're people.
Speaker 1: I just like put me in such a bad mood and I had to watch it for fifteen minutes, like cause it's just like my it's an open kitchen, Like I you know, I had no choice.
Speaker 2: Did you know what you have to do? What you have to go into the parental controls. You have to shut it off before you leave and be like what are you talking about? You should call the cable car like you gotta just act like you have no idea.
Speaker 1: They'll figure out. Trust me, every time we say can you turn it off? Because they'll turn it off in front of the kids. They're not they don't have it on in front of the kids. They'll my dad goes out and watches it on his computer. I mean, he'll watch it on his phone, Like I would have to shut down so many different ways. It is a full addiction at this point, like how much right wing news that he is consuming, Like.
Speaker 4: Damn, you're right, and it puts everyone in a bad mood. They want people pissed.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like, yeah, they're pissed, Yeah, piss it's just because that's my thing. You've won it all. You have the guy in charge, you have all of the conger. Everything is closing. Rights are closing in. Brown people are being you know, put into camps. They've truly got everything they could ever want, and they are still pissed.
Speaker 4: Off and they're just like Plan A Democrats.
Speaker 2: Still it's yea, your guy's in charge with everything, he still fucking hates you.
Speaker 4: You grow up, you fucked.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't.
Speaker 4: Did I talk about how I watched The Hunt?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: What's the Hunt?
Speaker 1: So it's Betty Gilpin, your husband's favorite actress. And it was fun.
Speaker 2: I mean there's like really corny elements and like a little too okay, guys, but I really enjoyed it and I would watch it again and it's gory and fun and oh Yeah, it's cool. Don't say one of the people, don't say any other actors. Someone's a surprise. I guess I could look it up. It doesn't matter. So, yeah, it's like rich people. It's like they hunt people for fun. You know, it's the classic storyline, rich people. They're taking you and they're gonna shoot you. But there's like twists and turns that are like silly and I don't know.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I feel like maybe it's just because.
Speaker 4: But it's because she's incredible.
Speaker 2: I will say that without her, I don't know, but like Betty Gilpin is a star beyond belief, a true act like I can't she was incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't talk to anybody that saw her and O Mary, I was wondering how that was gonna go. I'm going to see it again on Monday. It's yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get a full review. We'll all be sitting at the edge of our seats. But yeah, I heard about this movie. I did too, and thought nothing of it, and then and then I don't know what made well. I know I'm doing like in the Woods, comedy horror short and so many words, but yeah, so I wanted to watch like.
Speaker 1: And get into theme.
Speaker 2: Yeah this isn't the theme truly, but no, no, but I just wanted to like see like fear running away, you know, like kind of just yeah, running past trees, falling over sticks. I like hate that we talked to all these good actors on our podcast because it's like I just am constantly think I'm not doing enough, and I feel guilty all the time because all these motherfuckers talk about is preparation and how to be prepared and how much they love working with people that are prepared. And I'm like, okay, like can do it. I'm like, yeah, I just I just it's hard to get me to work, you know. I'm like, uh, I'm a it's I am not good at work.
Speaker 1: But I think also there's something to be said with like a comedian using their flair for improv. You know. Yes, no, they're even though Ipher Maloney didn't like Kathy Griffin doing it on the show, I think somebody, you know, I think.
Speaker 4: There's they definitely got a bargain.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get a lot for a little Okay, Yeah, I'm gonna make up all these They're gonna love it. They're gonna they're not gonna believe all these little lines that I'm gonna bring.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't, They're gonna love it. I truly believe that. Does dollar store have a clearance bin? That's where I'm at, clearance at the dollar store.
Speaker 2: But I'm also kind of an outside so it's like me and this guy are outsiders. But then the director and star are our brother and sister, and the star wrote it. And then the director's wife's in it too. Okay, Yeah, family affair. Family affair. And then I'll be with one other dude in a van. You never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's a comedian that gotten another comedian's car. They were like driving to a show together, and this guy put on headphones, plugged it into his laptop and started.
Speaker 1: Working, like writing jokes or edited. I don't know what he was doing, but ignored for hours. That's insane behavior. It is that people we deal with. Yeah, these are these are who we are facing off with every day. You more than me. But when I do get a little glimpse and I'm like, wow, insane people. Yeah, We're like trying to have dinner with an old friend here that lives out in Connecticut, who but stand up in the city, who you know, can't get, can't nail and die. He's like, I got sponsored the city that night. I got spots to the city that I were like, Okay, I give up. We're done trying. Like we're not going to try anymore.
Speaker 4: No, just like Heart of Adulthood, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's just busy until they're not. Yeah, my pet peeve is I have a friend who's always like, oh and you didn't call me, And I'm like, well, now I'll definitely never call you.
Speaker 1: Should we just get into today's episode. We've got a good episode coming out, you know what. I will say.
Speaker 2: One SVW themed thing, that viral TikTok dance, the line dance of the Sview theme is the best one I've ever seen. It has taken over to the point where now when I hear the theme song, I think of that dance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It really was so fun. Yeah, and they Rollins and Benson did it, but fun. Yeah, they were a little off the beat and benches you could see her counting, but.
Speaker 2: Like you could have taken another couple hours. No, it was cool to see him. It's like it reminds you they're just like kind of fun moms, you know what I mean. Yeah, Like we see these characters and they're multifaceted and bad ass, but then it's like they're just silly, silly moms learning a TikTok dance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like part of me when I see those videos, what I think happens and this is just a scenario I create in my mind is that like a young social media manager goes, guys, here's what we have to have you do. This is gonna be amazing, this is going to break the internet, and Marishka is like down, down, down, like she is like already started working on the choreo. And my feeling is that Kelly Giddish is a little bit like yeah, yeah, let's do it, you know, like and then in the videos she always seems a little bit like cool and then I do a guitar strum and then I like she doesn't seem like she kind of wants to be doing like the little videos. But Marishka, I know, like did like a Pamela Pumpkin and it's like always down with engaging with the culture online. So oh and then all the social media person goes got it and then posts.
Speaker 2: Do you think the social media person wants one more? And they're like, no, we're we were going I.
Speaker 4: Think we got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they're like because they're like, they're one take on the show all the time, so I think they probably are like, can we get it one more time for safety, and they're probably like, nope.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, one take is psychotic.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: My YouTube is just filled with little, you know, little bits of actors talking and the guy what's his name, Eli Roth? Mm hmmm, so for his uh, what's the bear character? And an inglorious bastard's the Jewish bear? What was his name? He's a real name, Donnie Donowitz, the bear jew okay yea, yeah yeah. So that they were shooting and then and that they kept him in the cave for like three or four days, so he kept thinking it was going to be his turn, and then they would wrap for the day and they never let him out of the cave for days. So by the time he got out of the cave, that's why he's so fucking amped.
Speaker 1: Jesus crazy like forced method acting like what is that? That's so nuts?
Speaker 2: I just can't believe Quentin Tarantino is like such a heavy part of the Valley, Like, wait, are you watching the Valley, Casey or you retired after vander Pump.
Speaker 5: I've popped in a little bit, but seeing Jax Taylor is too dark. He's an evil presence. It's so yeah, it's hard for me to engage. After you said I think carry you said he's like the prototype for a family annihilator or something.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, well we saw somebody say that online. Yeah, I can't get that out of my head.
Speaker 5: So I haven't really been watching.
Speaker 1: Like Also, what creeped me out so hard was like his him, I don't watch the Valley, but I know the characters, and I get enough through like the osmosis of the blogs and andst does that I follow or whatever.
Speaker 4: He looked exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Same in his reunion of the Valley talking about apologizing to Brittany as he does, as he did on vander Pump when he was like a decade younger apologizing for cheating on Stasse with her best friend.
Speaker 4: Like the man does not learn.
Speaker 1: He has no capability of self reflection or accountability.
Speaker 4: He is a sociopath.
Speaker 1: I think like he literally goes, yeah, and I'm so sorry for that and I'm sorry and I apologize to you for that, and he's rolling his eyes while he does it, like he is so like a ghost.
Speaker 2: There's like a social media therapist. And she was saying that like when sociopastern they're like, oh, I thought they don't care about anyone, and it's like, well, they don't care about anybody else. They care about themselves and like what's going to happen to them? And I think about that. With him, it's it's like he is disgusting. Yeah, well life for the house has the son living somewhere else, like thinking he's a good day.
Speaker 1: Why would she let you be with your son? And every apology has like a butt after it. It's always like, but you should have were I mean, yeah, but you were doing this and you were drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but maybe you should watch it, Casey. I mean, I can't wait to watch the reunion and I have to watch the Loss Culture Resa's Awards, Like I know me too.
Speaker 1: I really want to see that. The memes coming out of that are making me laugh so hard. It's so cool. It's so cool.
Speaker 2: It gives me the same vibe as Oh Mary, where it's like non compromising, doing things that are fun, that make you feel good, and then it becoming like this thing. It's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Lost Culturesa's Award just remind me of like I don't know, like signing each other's yearbooks in high school and it's all just like inside fucking jokes that like no one else would get.
Speaker 4: It just feels like it's that's what they said.
Speaker 2: They're like it was just like an inside joke on our podcast, but they said that their fans are as crazy as maybe Swifty Level or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm trying to remember what the rule of culture was. Was that way the awards came from the rules of culture, didn't they? Or no, yeah, separate yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, mule culture And then it was just like voting like on the podcast and it was just like a podcast and they would have episodes announcing the winners on the pod.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just love like all of the like the Renee Wrap Award for Greatness and Lesbianism and like all like they're like the way that the awards are based on other people too, is like so funny.
Speaker 4: It's just like it's so funny.
Speaker 1: It it feels like I don't know, it feels like it's for me, Like it's I when did you know the culture was for you?
Speaker 4: The last culture is the awards.
Speaker 1: It's for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like it's like it's like silly and serious, Like they take so much time to craft these funny things, but it doesn't take themselves seriously. Like I think they're all just geniuses that work so hard, but it is so stupid.
Speaker 1: But also it's like a send up of award shows. And award shows are so silly, like they I mean I watch them same as anybody else, but like they are such like a silly self congratulatory and like when Muna didn't win the Lesbian Award, they were like mad. I mean it was like it was so funn like everything was a bit like I really liked that, Like because the award shows take themselves too seriously, and and talk shows like Late Night takes itself too seriously. And that's why people like Andy Cohen because he he honestly doesn't take it as seriously. Although I saw Carol back on back in the Clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was the Matt and Bowen episode. I watched it it was phenomenal, it was fun. It was fun.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm gonna Rava Hollicks and it is what.
Speaker 1: It is now.
Speaker 4: People want Ninni back in. But let's get now. Yeah, let's get started.
Speaker 1: We yeah, we've already done our last show, so nothing to promote.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Okay, Today, we are doing the episode Street Revenge from season thirteen, the first post Maloney. Ooh, that's funny, post Maloney post Maloney season episode nineteen. This came out in twenty twelve, in April of twenty twelve, so this episode starts a little bit differently. They do not give us the thrill of a rollerblader falling onto a dead body. Instead, it is a girl being loaded into an ambulance, with Olivia already talking to her softly about how she's going to be in touch. Okay, So Benson is joined by Tomorrow and they're talking about how this girl might be the fifth victim of a serial rapist. Samemo pushes them down from behind, cuts a handful of their hair. We just did a hair episode, like we just did it two episodes ago. Wet, how was the hair criminal? And then he says to them, you think you're special bitch okay. They think he's all the victims can't really see him because they push him from behind. He pushes them from behind, but they think he's white with a dark hoodie. They're in West Soho, a neighborhood I have never heard referenced as such, like Soho itself is a quite a small neighborhood and to be like oh in West Soho, and they go back and forth between calling it Soho and West Soho the whole time, which is so funny to me. It is a small, small neighborhood, like I looked it up on Google Maps, and Soho is only like four avenues and like eight blocks. It's very a small area. So there's a big crowd of people gathered and a reporter is asking them if the West Soho rapist has struck again. It's like the West so okay. Anyway, the reporter is British and bitchy, and he's like still nothing, detective and Live gives her, gives one of her classic withering looks and goes, let us do our job, and he gets right on camera to clown the NYPD for being clueless, and then back at the precinct, munch is looking at a sketch that could literally be any man on the planet, Like it's like racially ambiguous, Like it's like a man with a nose and a chin, like there's no defining characteristics. And the problem is no one gets a good look at the guy, no witnesses, no footage, like they just they can't get the guy, Like he just disappears right after these crimes take place. And Craigan's like, is this guy invisible? And Benson's like, well, listen, the only subway nearby is the one train, Like this guy must be driving.
Speaker 4: The Holland Tunnel is right there.
Speaker 1: We're trying to pull video we're doing stopping frisks on white males, and Finn goes, well, that's a nice change of pace, and I'm like, see, I love the how At season thirteen, this show does no cops or racist Cragan wants the whole neighborhood flooded with coverage. Anyone on the streets after midnight better have an NYPD's pay stub on them.
Speaker 4: And then he goes, what are you waiting for?
Speaker 1: A hug? Goodbye?
Speaker 4: And this is cranky Kragan.
Speaker 1: This is like a very cranky Kragan part he's getting his ass ritten. Whenever there's a seial that they're not finding, you can tell the Commissioner's right up Cragan's butt. So Craigan pulls Live aside and goes the commissioner saw the coverage from the British boy whose name is Griscom And we actually have seen this man before. He is in the episode Lost Traveler. He is the sicko who hacked into the missing boy's phone in Lost Traveler to check his messages and then deleted some of them and gave the family hope that he was alive. Remember we and we researched a crime basey do you remember so fucked up? Yeah? So now this guy he got a job as a reporter for NY three and has the audacity to shit talk SVU when he has actively hindered their investigation before. Like, I you know you want to kill this guy immediately if you can remember him anyway, Kraagan wants Live to come to this community Council meeting to do damage control, and she's like, I'd rather work the case, captain, and he's like, it's not a request again, Cranky Craigan, but my thing, this is what I've been really sitting on.
Speaker 2: It's like, Craigan, you have been a captain for now thirty let's say fourteen years, and that's that's just captain. So you are a lieutenant and a sergeant and a cop and you don't know how to give a press conference? How did you get this start? Like, you know, I'm glad to see live I want her always in action. Yeah yeah, But to be the leader of your squad and be scared of press or journalists and fuck up is just so lame to me and weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I don't believe in him more.
Speaker 1: The writing would have also made more sense if it's like, I think women will take a warning more from a woman, Why don't you come and do this press conference? You know what I mean? Like rather than bald, old white cop just saying stay off the streets anyway. At the meeting, Craigan is urging people to be cautious. And then this one white man in a sea of white people, like every single person in West Soho is white. They start yelling. They're like, so the rapist wins, these are our streets. And the crowd is pissed and they think Craigan is victim blaming and so Live has to take over, like we said, and like, surely they'll listen to her. I mean not really.
Speaker 4: They're still pretty mad.
Speaker 1: But at Liv's voiceover is urging women like be vigilant, like you know, don't walk alone on the streets. And of course we cut to a girl while Lives voiceovers playing a girl walking down the darkest, emptiest street I've ever seen in New York City, Like not a thing exists. This is like a warehouse district and nothing is Like I don't think there is a street this dark that exists in Soho, Like Soho has stuff on every street. And of course the attacker jumps out and goes, you're mine, bitch, and he starts attacking her until some guy in like a you can't really make him out, but he's in like some kind of nondescript superhero outfit shows up, pulls him off, punches the guy, and then chases him and that's credits.
Speaker 4: So wow, they've really set this up.
Speaker 1: We're looking for a serial rapist and now there's superheroes involved. What the fuck is going on? At the hospital, Rollins Tomorrow are talking to the victim. Her name is Claire and she's like, I shouldn't have done that. I saw the stories. I shouldn't have been out alone. I had a few drinks. And this actress is actually Veronica Dominsic, which I don't know if I'm saying it correctly, but she is the sister of Dagmara and Marika Dominsic, who have both been on SVU, and we just talked about them because Dagmara is married to I think Patrick Wilson and was just the episode in the in the Prog episode, right. So now we've really in the past like a couple months, hit all three of these sisters, and they've all been on a s few and I think Marika has been on a couple of times. She's the one who poisoned the chemistry poison Experience consent in the Tammy Blanchard episode. So we got a trio of sisters. I don't know if we've seen that before, they've all been on this view anyway. Rollins is like, girl, it's not your fault that you got attacked, and the girl goes, you have to say that, and Rollins doesn't really say no. She's not like no, it's not no, it's she's like, you know, yeah, I do kind of blame you, and I do have to say that, And so I know we usually comment on Marishka's hair, but Rollin's hair this is her first season. The side bang is so aggressive. It starts like above her ear, I mean like she's pulling it over, like really really aggressively, and she tells them the girl clear goes, well, this guy didn't even actually rate me, like her face.
Speaker 4: Is fucked up, like he definitely hurt her.
Speaker 1: But she's like, he didn't actually rap me because that other guy stopped him. And she says the same stuff about her attacker, like hoodie, tan, construction jacket. Maybe he said you're mine, bitch. She goes, his voice sounded white, which I don't know, and then she tells them the rescue. The rescuer was in a crazy get up like a downtown superhero.
Speaker 4: She thought she was imagining things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now back at the Precinct Risk Them is back on the air reporting on the sixth attack of the West. Soho rapist and Craigan wants to know what's up with the superhero, like, guy, what's happening? And liv says, well, say what you want to about this guy, but he clocked the rapist so hard he left blood at the crime scene, and Craigan's like, I'm not sold that this is the same guy, Like, some of the details are similar, but also our other rapist said your mind. This guy said your mind, bitch instead of you think you're special, bitch. Like it's close, but it's not the same. And it was the same for the first five you know. And they're like, well, did he cut his her hair? And he's They're like, well, he didn't have a chance to cut it. So not everything's matching because the hair and some of these details have not been released to the press. So Craigan doesn't like vigilantes doing their job. So they found footage of the guy matching her description getting on the subway. They're going to go track down his Metro card. So now Rollins and Amarro are at the Department of Education payroll office. And this woman is one of my favorite like random one sceners of all time.
Speaker 4: Okay, and I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love this scene. Yeah you're in Yeah, it's great, Like and she go, they go, she goes, you're asking me to match a person to a Metro card. One hundred and thirty five thousand people work here like, I don't have time for that, and rollins. It's her first season. She hasn't really perfected her She hasn't perfected how to talk to women yet. She knows how to flirt with men, but she can't talk to women yet. So she goes, well, we're police, so you're gonna have to make time, and the woman goes, excuse me, all I have to do is stay black and die and love that. For her, she's really standing in her own uh you know, the value of her own time. She's like, I'm not doing this and Amarro cuts in and he's like, well, if you can't flirt with a woman, I certainly can. So he starts his charming guy routine. He notices her framed picks of her kids and starts chatting parenting stuff. It's just so over the top that, yeah, how many times were you all classic? Yeah, he's so hot. I can imagine kind of just enjoying the moment exactly. He's batting his eyes, he's saying pretty pleased. Like he's getting her to check for the metro card and she's like, I'll take a look, and he's like, well does this one thing?
Speaker 4: Like cut it down?
Speaker 1: Like there's one fact about the Metro card that cuts it down, like it uses a certain system. And so she's like she's typing. She's like, okay, I'll check. Like she's clearly you know she's smitten with Amorro. And then she goes, you got Indian in you. And it's so funny because he goes, yeah, I get that, and she goes, I knew it. Like she it's so funny, like she's flirting with him so hard, and then she goes, you guys.
Speaker 4: Go get coffee.
Speaker 1: This is gonna take a while. So now we found out who the card belongs to, and Tomorrow and Rollins are checking this lead. And while they're walking there, Rollin's asked Tomorrow about his wife, who he barely likes, Maria, who is back home with him now, and Amara's like, Zara's happy, my mom moved out, Maria sage the apartment. Everyone's happy. And then the woman who's Metro card it is. She's a school teacher. She's like loading kids on the bus. Her name's may Chen, and they're like, hey, we tracked your Metro card. It was used last night and she goes, well, I mean I didn't even use my metro card this morning, like I walk to work and sometimes my son Andy borrows it. So now Finn and Benson are at a basketball court to find Andy and he's playing bee ball and he's got a black eye and a busted jaw, and Fin's like, that's our guy. We need a new sketch artist, because everyone was like saying, this guy's white, and this guy is Asian or at least part or at least like part Asian. They call out to him, They're like, we need to ask you some questions, and this kid does not give a shit. He's like very bluse about the cops wanting to talk to him, Like Liv asks about the nose and.
Speaker 4: He goes, oh, you know what happened with that?
Speaker 1: And then he shoves a basketball at Benson takes off running, Finn takes up after him, live runs in another direction. She cuts the guy off. He raises his hands like he's ready to fight her, going come on, come on, and in an iconic Benson move, she pauses, gives him like are you fucking kidding me? Look, and then bitch slaps this kid right across his dumb little face. Then she throws him against a car to cuff him. And you probably recognize this scene because it's gone viral before, Like this scene has been sent to us many times of like people will just post it being like shit, I didn't know Benson had that in or whatever, like because it's really great, like she's kicking this guy's ass and then and it's like it is a police brutality thing, but it's like in another scenario, I would not I'm not mad at it. This kid. All she does is slap him the first time, like, and then he yells, I know my rights, don't touch me. And he struggles and then he makes like he's gonna hit her, and that's when she punches him in the face. And then she gets him on the ground and he's screaming and grunting and being like you're breaking my arm.
Speaker 4: You're breaking my arm.
Speaker 1: And then Live finds a switchblade on him, so you know this is enough?
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Can you just carry a switchblade? You can carry a knife.
Speaker 2: Remember in Vancouver they took oh you mean for some reason, it's not my knife story, Yeah, your knife wesa no.
Speaker 1: But on the streets of New York, can you my dad carries a knife? Everywhere he goes. So I'm like, assuming the knives are okay. I don't know if that gives them grounds. I don't know what the deal is, but well, maybe because it's like a part of them or whatever. Yeah, I think you're allowed to just have a knife.
Speaker 2: But I know at the comedy store they once told me they confiscate like an average of ten like knives a show.
Speaker 1: I think about that all the time, actually, that you told me that one time, and I think about it all the time. I'm like, I can't believe so many people go to the comedy store on a night that I have a knife on them. But I guess my dad's one of them. So who knows? At the precinct, the lowdown on Andy Chen is this, he's twenty, he goes to community college, he's got a prior for subway groping, and he lives with his mom. Warner is checking to see if the DNA that they found at the Superhero scene is his, and Craigan wants to know what's up with the kids nose, but Finn's like, no, that's a prior injury. Live just knocked him upside the head, like because he swung at her like, that's we saw he had the nose problem before. So even if they can link this guy through DNA, Craigan says, that's only in this one attack. The guy left no DNA at any other attacks, so they can't lick to the other ones. So you better go get a confession, like that would be great right now. So Finn and Tomorrow go in and talk to Andy, who is icing his face, and Finn's like, yo, we got you, like you're fucking we have you. We've got DNA, we've got the metro card, and this fucking loser, like he doesn't even try to lie. He's I mean, he tries to lie, but he kind of cops to it. He's like, yeah, she wanted it. They all wanted it. I'm the King of Soho. And we know we're still in the first act of the show, so we know this guy is not the guy right, Like it's we haven't even gone to commercial.
Speaker 4: Anyone could be a threat.
Speaker 1: But he's like scrawny, I know, but he had that girl knocked down on the ground and was like about to do it before the superhero came. So if you have a knife too, it's like, I don't know but he says these girls picked him up and he's like, they're like, which one did you like best? And he's like, oh, the first one, the blonde and they're like what was she wearing and he's like, like a skirt thing. It's like, dog, I don't know if you're gonna be a copycat, you gotta have more information here, like you're not, you're not, you don't know a ny. He seems dumb and he's not even good at bluffing. And also it's like, what's your mo here? Like you want to be the king of Soho, so you're going to go to jail for five to six rapes when you really only did one and you didn't even really do it, like what? And then Finn and Tomorrow step out. They're talking to Craigan on the other side of the fish bowl and he's like, well, I think this guy's good for Monday night, but he's not our cereal, Like he doesn't have any.
Speaker 4: Of the details.
Speaker 1: So this kid is a copycat who got stopped by a mass crusader. Craigan's like, I don't like any of these details. I don't like where this is going. Munch pops back in with more news. Griscom is back on the news, shading the NYPD, saying the Soho rapist is still at large. Now they've dropped the West it's now just the Soho rapist. And he knows the rapist is still out there because he just got a letter from him and it reads, quote the NYPD can't catch me, copycats, can't touch me, batman can't stop me. End quote.
Speaker 4: So you know this is a dork right away.
Speaker 1: The letter goes on with about three pages about the crimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the poetry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, details only the perpetrator would know. So it ends with this line, quote, you Soho sluts think you're special. This is just the beginning end quote. Craigan wants the letter, but Munch says, you're gonna have to pry it from this guy's cold dead fingers, which I'm confused. But at the precinct, Craigan tells the gang that Cabot just informed him that Chen is out on bail. So liv is like, what the fuck? The DNA for the blood was a match at the scene, like he's good for attempted rape, But his lawyer argued that the NYPD cave to the media pressure and the hysteria, and Andy is a straight a student with ties to his community. His church posted the bond, and it's like society really works overtime to let a sociopathic boy get as many chances as he possibly can, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Rollins tells them that the community hysteria is just getting started. On the computer, she shows them a group of Soho residents led by the guy who was being the most vocal at the earlier meeting, who's like, these are our streets and he says he's getting He's like, they're outraged that the rapist made bail, and there's a redhead with him, and she's like, I want, we want everyone to join us for a no More Fear slut walk. So Much doesn't know what a SlutWalk is, which I do not buy. Like he's usually up on current shit like that, Like he seems like he's the one that's like, it's a SlutWalk. It's meant to do. You know, he's a gonna explain it. I know you're gonna explain it later, so I'm not gonna get into it right now. But I just don't buy that Much doesn't know what one is liv explains that it started in Toronto went global. Women are sick of victim blaming and slutshaming. Also, Griscom won't give up the letter, citing freedom of the press. So this guy who's been like why aren't you finding him is now actively hindering the second investigation with SVU, Like, this guy's giving up so many details. His prints could be on the letter, like all this stuff I know newspapers, Like, technically media is allowed to keep sources confidential, but when there is an imminent public threat, usually media organizations choose to cooperate with the police because it's the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Like with BTK, he sent letters.
Speaker 1: He sent letters to newspapers and TV stations and they handed it all over to the cops, like and that's how they fucking got him. So I don't think when a criminal sends a letter to a newspaper or TV station they have any expectation of privacy.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what it's this guy while I'm watching and I'm like, this is the rapist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like why isn't he publishing it or something and then giving it to the cops, Like if you want to get the scoop. I get that it got sent to you, get your scoop, get your clicks, get your whatever, but like not not give it to the cops. I don't know. It seems crazy, but Finn says, no, I know, And Finn's like, but the guy's prince could be on the letter, and Rollins is like, nah, the guy has left no physical evidence at five scenes. I don't think he's gonna leave prints on the letter. But still you don't know that. Liv says no DNA at five rapes and is this guy starting something he can't finish? And then uh, they say, well, some of the victims thought he used a condemn He gets away unseen, So maybe he lives in the neighborhood and he's like a super or a maintenance man. Craigan does a traffic cop. He sends Munch and Finn to go find sex offenders in the neighborhood. He sends Lived, which feels like this guy's been out there for two months. You haven't already found the sex offenders in the neighborhood. He sends Live to go ask Warrener to retest the victims clothes for touch DNA, and then Rollin's to talk to one of her rabbis and work up a profile. We've mentioned this before, but a rabbi is like your mentor in the police world. And I'm not sure who Rollins would be talking to since she just got to New York from Atlanta, Like who is her rat? She already has rabbis. But anyway, Craigan looks stress. Why have I never heard that term? We've talked about it because I have looked it up before, because it'll be like, Oh, he's her rabbi, that's why, or like, oh, that's his rabbi. That's why they never remember turned him in because he's her rabbi or something like that. I got to think that back in my head. Yeah, so Craigan looks stressed, like the mayor is, like we said, riding his ass, and he's like, and where the hell is amorrow? Cut to tomorrow in a car spying on his fucking wife. Okay, she's sitting outside at a cafe and he's truly parked right across the street with nothing obstructing the view, Like does he think the sunglasses make him invisible? Like she could truly just look across the street and be like, there's my husband sitting in his cop car, and like, while she's sitting there, she's outside in the summer sun or spring sun, and up walks a handsome man to meet Maria. And this is a friend of the pod Dominic Famusa and he's played four different characters on SVU. We interviewed him about the episode PTSD, but I think we talked about.
Speaker 4: Him with this one.
Speaker 1: So if you want to go back and listen to PTSD, you could talk.
Speaker 4: To him about that.
Speaker 1: We talked about this episode a little with him, and he's everywhere he's in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the asshole in Sex and the City that Miranda meets at the funeral.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that Carrie used to date.
Speaker 1: Yes, And he is in another episode where his daughter Vicky was came to New York on a field trip and was trafficked and then he calls Maria because they're friends from the military, and then Maria involves Nick. And so that's an episode that's already happened, I think earlier in this season. And I'm not supporting like Mike Pence bullshit that the opposite sex can't have a meal together, but they are splitting a bottle of rose in the middle of the day and Maria friend of the pod Laura Bananty is grinning like a schoolgirl when he walks up. I'm just saying, like, Amaro's not wrong to be like worried. I don't think you should be following and whatever, like, but it is like I would be kind of like, huh, well.
Speaker 2: It's also her lying, you know what I mean, if she said I'm doing lunch with a friend.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing my old friend. Yeah, and laps of fine too. It's the descending a bottle in the middle of the day is a little bit like we're having fun, you know. It's not just like we're having a little drink, a little nip before we go back to work.
Speaker 4: It's a bottle. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice that. Well, he pours his own after he sits down. She's already had some like okay, So but he gets a call. Amaro gets a call, and obviously work wants to know where the fuck he is. So Omoro arrives to a hell of a scene. Nick Chen, the little fucker that we've already met before, is hanging from a fence by his wrists.
Speaker 4: He's unconscious.
Speaker 1: One of his eyes is like swollen shut, like that really nasty makeup they do where like it's his eye looks really really gnarly, and a crowd has gathered and the EMTs are like cutting him down, like this is hard, it's hard to watch.
Speaker 2: The makeup departments at a great job. But like they had to hang the.
Speaker 1: Guy geesez yeah yeah, well they yeah, they hang him by his wrists like it's crazy, And witnesses say, he got jumped by a gang.
Speaker 2: Of I don't hate Vigilante Justice. I know him against it, but I don't hate it. But those people should go to jail that did that. By the way, I forgot to mention that this is broad daylight. That he's strung up by his wrists. Okay, so it's broad daylight. A huge crowd has gathered.
Speaker 1: Witnesses say he got jumped by a gang of five superheroes calling themselves the Justice League, Which is why that they could even use that name in this episode because it is an established thing from DC comments, which has existed since like nineteen sixty. It's like a supergroup of superheroes. The original Justice League was Green Lantern, the Flash, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter. Wow, he has not done as well as his friends. Let's just say that. Okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: When I want to look him up, the Martian what Manhunter, I wonder, like, literally, there's a franchise on every single one of these people, and the Martian Manhunter's not someone I've ever even laid ears on, But hey, you know what I want, because he's in stuff. He's he's just yeah, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's just they got to name him something else. The Martian, the Manhunter, the man Hunters a scary superhero name. But anyway, I think these vigilantes in the episode spent so much time on their costumes that the name took a back seat. So they just took whatever they could think of. Nobody helped Andy Chen when they were beating the shit out of him. Most of them cheered him on. And I don't think we should be stringing people up in the streets, but I do think we should. Like the squad is being very like, oh my god, this poor boy, and I'm like, let's not forget.
Speaker 4: He is a rapist. Like he's a sociopath.
Speaker 1: Like he escalated from subway groping to attempted rape and I know he's not the rapist, but he is a rapist. And I just don't think I don't need SVU shedding quite so many tears over this kid. But I do think it's like, we don't need vigil anties taking care of it anyway. The vigil antes spray painted j L NY Justice League of New York one NYPD zero on the ground where they hung Andy up, so Finn says, these are our streets, not theirs. You honestly can't even tell if Andy's dead or not until they show him being wheeled away on a stretcher and he's not in a body bag, Like I didn't know if he was dead or not. Now I assume dead. I assume I assumed when I first watched dead. Now Finn and to Morrow at the hospital talking to him, and he's he's alive and awake, and he looks terrible that I is fucking poppin'.
Speaker 2: He's got a neck brace on his force. Don't make me feel bad for a rapist. Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Sv don't do that. If it's a wrong if it's wrongly accused, let's shine a light.
Speaker 4: But that's not what this guy.
Speaker 1: This guy was trying to copycat a horrific rapist that was like fucking terrorizing his neighborhood, and he was trying to take credit for all of it. Anyway, he's crazy. And the thing is he will this kid will rape again. Like I think he's a sociopath, like for sure, So they got to do some kind of Yeah, well, you know.
Speaker 2: We always talking about these sociopaths that get a lot dumb, but some are dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are dumb sociopaths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting caught at first attempt for sure.
Speaker 4: Now wait should should we be?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I want to I want to watch that TV show The Dumb Socio.
Speaker 1: Dumb instead of like a total like Wonderkin, it's like a freaking dumb ass sociopath. He keeps fucking up and like his sister has to keep bailing him out or something. And she's smart, She's like, why are you so dumb? You're supposed to be a brilliant psycho killer. It's like the reverse deb in Decks. Okay, so he says, oh was deb dumb? Oh no, Dev's not dumb. But she definitely doesn't like bailing Dexter out. He makes her think that she's bailing him out sometimes, but she's like kind of not, you know. So he goes, they were wearing masks and helmets. He goes, there was even a chick there. It's like, you've literally been attacked by a mob and you're still like being kind of a dick and like being a misogynist. He's like, there was even a chick there, and he goes, this is all your fault. You made everyone hate me. And Tomorrow gets my point and goes, no, they hate you because you're a rapist. And if I wasn't a cop, i'd smack you around two And suddenly Andy's mom runs in with a lawyer who hands them a lawsuit that he's filing against them for violating Andy's civil rights. Tomorrow throws the lawsuit on the ground and they walk out. You can tell the stress of what he's witnessed in his Maria stakeouts is bleeding into the job. So now we cut to a whole operation.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm sorry, did you not flirt with that woman when you needed documents?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What if Maria was watching? And now we cut to this whole operation where Rollins is in a brown wig and she's telling a bunch of babes in tight dresses and heels how to handle this rapist looking like it looks like they're all acting as baits, like they're bait. They're all like, they're all undercovers and ghosts they call them. I don't know what a ghost is, but the undercovers they're probably like just they were like, are there any pretty female cops that can go undercover with Rowlands? They got a bunch of them. Kraign wants everyone in radio contact. Amaro goes, well, we're light on backup, which is apparently because a lot of the department is tied up at the slut walk, Finn goes, just what we need one hundred women walking around half naked, and it's like, Finn, it is season thirteen, Like, please tell me you're not still doing the what was she wearing?
Speaker 4: Argument?
Speaker 1: Especially when you love strip clubs. Yeah, they just can't be in public naked, Okay, I mean they're wearing tube tops. The undercover hotties all scatter into the night, okay. Rollins is now walking down the street alone when suddenly she hears a man's voice yelling rape, help, help us, help me, And it's hard to tell where it's coming from. It seems like it's coming from the roof of one of these buildings, but she really can't tell. Finn rolls up and rollins hops in the car, and now those two are up on the roof and they find the screaming guy and there's also a woman face down. The screaming guy has been stabbed, and the woman who's calling her, who he's calling Fantastica, looks bruised up, but she's hanging in there. And the guy they're asking the I like, what happened? What happened?
Speaker 4: He goes, I was only gone a minute, and then he passes out.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now at the hospital, Fantastica is spilling to live. She's like, I don't remember anything. I got knocked out in the back of my head. I blacked out. I woke up in the ambulance. Liv tells her and her real name is Leslie Lives like, I hate to tell you this, Leslie, but you have been sexually assaulted. And she's incredulous. She's like, this can't happen to me. We were supposed to catch him. And tomorrow's talking to the other victim, the guy who was stabbed. His name is Stuart and he's got a little bit of like a stutter when he speaks. And he's played by kier O'Donnell k E I R I don't know how you say that name, kir He's been in a lot of fun stuff, but he is best known to me as Rachel mcadam's freaky gothy brother Todd in Wedding Crashers. Oh that's how my god? Yeah wow cool? Yeah yeah yeah. So Stuart said we're in the presence of greatness exactly, holy whole legend. That's one of the funny I can't believe this is the same guy. He was also in Paul Blart Mallcop, but I've never seen that, so oh fuck. He was in Sons of Anarchy.
Speaker 2: Mall Cop is kind of maga coded. I'm not saying Kevin James is. I don't really know about him, but like I feel like Mallcop is like so maga coded. Yeah wait, I'm obsessed with kier Wait.
Speaker 1: I need to go to his IMD be really quick because I did not know he was in Sons of Anarchy and now I'm trying to figure.
Speaker 2: Out, well, we're all taking a huge moment. Okay, yeah, yeah, he's got a lot.
Speaker 1: He works a lot. I mean he's got like seventy six credits doing some upcoming stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, this man definitely books. But as I think, the wedding crashers to me is so funny, and then everything else is so serious. I'm like, get this man back in a little weird emo. Look, yeah, Sons of Anarchy.
Speaker 1: Well goth Todd is like, well, I think the guy was white and stocky, but it was dark. I pulled him off of her and then he stabbed me, and he describes the weapon as big black scissors with a curved handle, or with like a curved blade and black handle. Sorry, I think I'm fucking up the description. Then they're back to Leslie and she goes, no, it was just me and Stewart up on that roof. We work in two person cells. We got up to the roof by a fire escape. Lives like, okay, I'm going to check your rape kit for DNA, and she's like, have you had sex with anybody else? And she's like, no, I'm not seeing anyone, and then she goes, I was just trying to stop other women from being raped, and Live goes I get it, but you need to leave it to the cops. And Leslie goes, that hasn't worked, has it? And Live goes, well, this didn't work.
Speaker 4: Did it?
Speaker 1: And I kind of like it because it's like lives kind of try to be like I, you know, I believe every victim, but girl, don't go vigilante because I'm Olivia Benson and I will fucking bind out who did this, and like, don't don't try to act like I'm not doing my job. You know, she shaded, She tried to shade Live and lived through it right back in her fucking face. So Stewart tells Tomorrow that he had nothing to do with the Andy Chen and he says he's done more. And he goes, I've done more in two nights than you guys have done in two months. I say, fantastica and that other girl the other night. So he's like, I'm on duty, I train, I work out. This is serious. And Tomorrow's like, okay, so what's with the costumes? And he's like, they tell the world what we stand for? And he goes, so who are you? And he shows his hands, his knuckles and he's got twelve and nineteen tattooed on his hands, which Amorrow knows immediately is a Bible verse Romans twelve nineteen, Vengeance's mind saith the Lord. Okay, so in walks the mouthy guy from the first meeting and the slut Walk announcement, and he's yelling at Stuart for bringing Leslie out in the middle of the night dressed up like a freak while a rapist is on the loose, and Stewart says, fantastica wanted to come. This man's name is Henry Brizeki, and he's played by Michael Rispoli, who you might recognize. He's a character actor. You might recognize him from the Sopranos and other stuff. And he says Leslie called him. She needs a grown up right now, Tomorrow, and we've seen this guy, Henry. He's clearly a leader of the community council, right and he was there for the announcement of the slut walk and saying these are our streets, blah blah blah. Amorrow questions Henry on the side and goes, after the slut walk, did you go on superhero Patrol? He looks at a Tomorrow and goes, I'm fifty I was home with my wife and kid, all right. He's like, I don't know, I'm not out dressed up, like fucking the flash. So we cut to Maria and Nick having a nice dinner at a white tablecloth place, okay, and he's complaining about Griscam the reporter, and then he asked Maria about her week and she's like, oh yeah, I'm just like happy to be with Zara. And then it's just like watching two people that a don't like each other, but b are horrible at lying or horrible at like.
Speaker 2: And it's like, are you guys questions? It's like, it's not like comparative to your safety to be able to lie. You're yes, been in the military or a cop? Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Is it lying? Part of you know, push ups? Lying shooting exactly? You could just push ups and lying? Why are you not good at both of those? I think push ups he's probably great at. But like he goes, what about yesterday? I missed you all day? It's like, why are you specifically asking about yesterday? It's just confusing. She goes, oh, hey, I took Zara to the park and then we played Princesses. It was kind of boring, and then the conversation is like extremely awkward, like they don't like each other, they're both lying badly. And then he goes, oh, that sounds fun, and she goes, no, it was fun, like after she had just said it was boring, Like it was so weird how that they were just badly covering up for each other that are for themselves in front of each other. Back at the squad, everyone's watching griscom's coverage of the Andy Chen beating by the Justice League of New York. Robin's reference is Trayvon Martin. It's what happens when people take the law into their own hands, like, you know, being anti vigilante. The gang is confused, like why was Leslie knocked out? He's not done that before. This guy, like Nick says, he's sending a message to the vigilantes, like you know, you guys need a back off trying to find me or whatever. Stuart and Leslie have been involved in community outreach for weeks. If the rapist infiltrated their group, he would know they were on the roof. But that doesn't make sense to me because there's only like five of them that are the vigilantes if they infiltrated the community group, they don't necessarily know where the vigilantes are going. But again, I try to find holes and it's kind of a problem. But I don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Always do I think this is like a new thing, or we're just watching more holes. Maybe maybe we're pretty like holeless, right or am I being a am I like looking back at everything with rose colors?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're looking at those colored because remember when like, there's never been a hole in my mind, because remember when Diane Neil was like, who was it Dianiel that said don't ask questions. Sam Waterson told her don't ask questions because then you'll open a whole Pandora's box if you ask questions about like, well, how did this happen? If this happened like because I think sometimes they're just like, we got to get it shot, let's go, And I think they just let a hole be a hole, you know, because at this point they're not like trying to, you know, reinvent the wheel. So anyway, Craigan's like, we think the serial rapist is attending his own anti rapist rallies, and it's like Craigan, are you new here?
Speaker 4: We see this shit all the time.
Speaker 1: People are constantly the murderer always comes back to the scene. We've seen that reporter who murdered his own sister started dating Benson to cover his tracks. I mean, like, people do tons of crazy shit. So apparently Henry's restaurant has been ground zero for this movement. Let's get a list of members of the group. Amaro shoves his chair in a little bit loud and Cragan clocks it. We've got Nick's got a bit of a temporar. He's mad.
Speaker 4: Henry's restaurant is called.
Speaker 1: Brick Chicken, the Toast of Soho, Brick Chicken Rollin's and tomorrow go there and he's in like a chef jacket thing, like a Bobby Fla type jacket, and he's like, my group is a front for the vigilantes and the rapists. Come on, this is NYPD payback. Like he's not buying. He said he had no idea that Leslie was in the Justice League. His first inkling was at the March and he goes and we got into a fight afterwards, and then they're like, and then you let her go off on her own and he goes, you're married. You ever tried telling a woman what to do? So he goes, I was in West Soho before it was gentrified. I'm trying to save it. I was in West Soho when it didn't exist, because it's not something people say. But Amaro spots some curved scissors with a black handle, just the same as Stuart described as his stabbing weapon. What are these poultry shears? He goes, yeah, don't touch those, those are sharp. So Tomorrow asked Rollins to ask the meme to see if the weapons are a match, and she goes, well, I could do it, but so could you. And he goes, well, I got to go investigate my wife, who I hate. So in another Tomorrow's stakeout, he's in his car and a car pulls up and Tomorrow gets out and starts rage walking towards the car, and it's Jason Dominic Famusa, his wife's rose buddy, and we find out that he's in fucking Philadelphia. You're working a serial rapist and you're popping down to Philadelphia. Holy shit, Like Nick Tomorrow, hot head of the fucking century, like Stabler wouldn't do that.
Speaker 4: Like that's fucking nuts. Behavior.
Speaker 1: Jason goes, oh, hey, my daughter, who you saved from trafficking, she was just talking about you.
Speaker 4: She's doing a lot better.
Speaker 1: And this is a reference to that episode I was explaining before, which is called Spiraling Down, and Tomorrow goes, yeah, yeah, like he could give a shit about Vicki, the daughter. He wants to talk about lunch. But before Jason can't even get a word out, Tomorrow sucker punches him right in his fucking face and goes, stay away from my wife and then walks away to start his two plus hour journey back to New York City. He is unhinged. So now back in New York City, it's nighttime, because you know, we've gone through Tomorrow's full, he's paid tolls, He's gone halfway to Washington, d C. To punch a guy in the face, and then walk away. Back in New York it's nighttime and Henry the chef slash activist is getting into his car when suddenly four members of the Justice League in these superhero costumes attack him, smash up his car, They beat the shit out of him, and then they run okay, and they leave him just like like moaning in the in the cobblestone streets of West Soho So top of Act four. It's the next morning and another Griscom news report about the attack on Soho Icon Henry brizeki Uh saying that he was beaten by vigilantes, hospitalized with a concussion and a broken hand. Griscom goes to Tomorrow on camera, Hey, detective, are there any leads? And Tomorrow goes, who me, You're the one withholding evidence? Care to comment? Which I love that he does. Put this reporter in his place a little bit, and then Rollin calls him sassy and she looks turned on, like this is you can see the sparks flying. She's very invested in how serious the reconciliation is with Maria.
Speaker 2: And Sudley was in an elevator and O guy walked on and I went, wow, you look fancy, and I regret it. That's so funny. Yeah, he was like, I'm just coming from work. I go cool, And then I was like.
Speaker 1: Being in New York is crazy because seeing people walk around in suits in the middle of the boiling hot heat, I'm like, I forgot that New York has serious jobs.
Speaker 4: Like I forgot people have to wear suits to their work.
Speaker 1: It's not something I see in Los Angeles because like CEOs in LA where like Cargo shorts. So Rollins asks, what happened to your hand and he goes, I must have banged it, and she goes, yeah, did you feel better afterwards?
Speaker 4: So she's got his fucking number.
Speaker 1: Csu finds baggies in Henry the Chef's car with locks of hair in them, six bags of them. Amorrow doesn't buy that he keeps these hair samples and these trophies in his car, But like, if he is a rapist and the Justice League made him before they did, maybe they know something that we don't, Tomorrow says. So now Amaro and Rollins are questioning Stuart about beating up Henry, and he's like, it wasn't me, Like I can't even lift my arm up, which is in a sling from his stabbing. So the night after you fight off Leslie's rapist, Henry gets targeted and Stuart has like no response, and they're like, uh, They're like what about the poultry? Shears, They're just like Henry's why are you covering for him? And he says, I had to. Leslie's one of us, the only girl with courage to take to the streets. And then he says to Rollins, I saved her, not you, And they're they're figuring out that this guy has like a weird hero complex thing, and they're like, if he raped her, you gotta tell us. If it was Henry, you got to tell us. Almaro snatches this styrofoam cup away because he's kind of like pyper focusing on this cup and like twisting it and stuff. And now he's ready to focus and he goes when I found Leslie on the roof, he was on top of her, and I heard him say, you think you're special, bitch, and he recognized the voice. So this guy, now, Stewart is going, I didn't want to I didn't want to say it was Henry, but it's Henry. So back at the precinct, Craigan is like, Henry the town crier is the rapist.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this would be suprise to you. It all after years and years at s FORU, Like this happens a lot of times, Like, yes, the principle can be the rapist, you know what I mean, Like the molester. The guy has locks of hair in his car Stuart's wounds were consistent with the poultry shears. Every attack was in walking distance of his restaurant. Omar thinks it's a smart move for a cereal to be on the front lines, making the most noise and lives like or it's more than that, Like he's creating a crisis just to solve it. Like a firefighter who sets fires, which we've also seen before on this show Rollins Gets.
Speaker 2: And one of my favorite Forensic Files episodes. It literally this place went from fifty plus fires a year and when they caught this guy went down to like two. Like this one firefighter is truly responsible for like ninety eight percent of every fire Casey.
Speaker 1: Is that the plot of Backdraft? Isn't that the plot of Backdraft? That one of them is like setting the fires. I've never seen Backdraft?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you've never seen back Draft.
Speaker 1: I haven't either.
Speaker 4: I just keep thinking, is that on the New York Times close Backdraft was?
Speaker 1: It's not on the New York Times list, it's not from the it's not from the twenty first Center. I'm pretty sure it's from the nineties. But like, I was really into it, and it really made me scared of Fire as it made me like very respectful of fire as like a young person, like I feel like I was like, you cannot fuck with fire because the way they talk about fire in the movie, like fire is alive. Like I don't know, you should got you guys should watch it, crazy cast. It's like Donald Sutherland, Billy Baldwin. There's like a lot of people in it, right, a lot of hot Billy Baldwin. Well, at the time I thought he was really hot and good and then he kind of went by the wayside. But I do think he's the hottest Baldwin still.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Rollins gets confirmation that Leslie's rape kit DNA is a match to Henry, So this is not looking good for Henry. But this guy has left no DNA at any scene, but then he left it on victim number six. That's me talking. That's not them.
Speaker 4: That's just me being like what no one's it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: So they go visit Henry in the hospital and he's like, oh, they broke my hand. I can't chop, I can't work, and then they confront him they're like you have bigger problems, dude, Like we got your DNA on Leslie and he's like, I didn't rape her. I'm a public figure and I'm a married man, And basically he confesses that him and Leslie have been having an affair. He's like, we got close while working on protesting the rapists.
Speaker 2: Makes no sense as he's like cool and hip, he's kind of like a wise guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was nervous. He's also fifty, he's got a wife and kid at home, wife and daughter, and he was nervous. She was nervous about walking home alone, so obviously starts walking her home.
Speaker 4: Whatever. They start, you know, having an affair.
Speaker 1: They bring up the other five girls and he's like what and they're like, we found the hair of the other five victims in your fucking car.
Speaker 4: And he goes, now, you're framing me.
Speaker 1: I want a lawyer, and they go, well, get a good one and tell him you're under arrest.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Amaro and Finn back after seemingly days. I don't know where Finn's been for a little while. They gave him a break. They're talking to Leslie and she admits to the affair and she's like, I couldn't tell anyone because Henry's a public figure. He's the brick Chicken guy. He's the head of the West so whole council. I couldn't talk about it to the cops. It would ruin his reputation in our ten block neighborhood. You think Henry raped me, and she goes, no way, he loves me, so they remind her, but you got knocked out, so you actually don't remember anything, like it could have been him, And she tells them no. We got into a fight after the march, and when Henry figured out that I was in the Justice League, he got really really mad that I was going on.
Speaker 4: Patrol with Stuart.
Speaker 1: So now we're talking up hand bandaged Henry and he's in woodroom blinds, but it's very dark. It's got the lighting of cement room bars, but it's woodroom blinds because I can see the blinds extremely dark. There's no light bulb budget at the SVU. So he's with his lawyer, and his lawyer is Linus Tate, who has kind of like a Roger Kressler vibe, maybe not as smarmy as Roger, but like he's a defense attorney. In season thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen, he's played by a guy named David pittou So, but he's recurring and in many episodes, some that we've covered, they ask Henry where he was on a few nights that the attacks took place, and he goes, oh, he's probably home with my wife and daughter. And they're like, well, can she verify? And I love when these guys are like being accused of a crime. They could put them in jail, and they're like, don't ask my wife. Come on, don't don't get me in trouble with my wife. And the lawyer is like, dude, worry about your marriage later. So Henry fesses up. He goes, those nights, I was either with Amy, my pastry chef who's also married, or Leslie or Janette, my wife's sister. So this guy is just like a fucking philanderer. And you know, you hear a lot about actually chefs and men in the restaurant business being like this, but your wife's sister, that's fucking solo, and Live goes, yes, come on, I know, like there how many women are there in West Soho that you could be fucking and you gotta go with your wife's sister and he Lived goes wow, and he goes, it's not what you think, and Live goes, you don't want to know what I think, and you judges you as a person. You know what I mean? You don't like that. So this chicken chef may be a philandering piece of shit, but he is not the rapist. Rollins confirms all three of his alibis with his little baby girls checks out, plus the doorman and video footage double confirms it. But it's worth mentioning that I think the victims would have mentioned that their rapist sounded like Tony soprano like. None of them were like, uh, he said, you think you special bitch? I mean, like, that's not like what he sounded like. So it's just funny. So who planted the hair? Amaro is about to crack the damn case and he goes, well, it's probably the guy who put Henry on the roof attacking Leslie. But before he gets the medal for best Cop, Maria blows into the precinct and knocks a bunch of files off his desk onto the floor, and she screams, what the hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: And Maria knows what she's doing.
Speaker 1: Amarro cares a lot about what his coworkers think about him, like, he looks so embarrassed right now, and she doesn't give a fuck, nor should she, but she starts screaming about him driving to Philly to attack her friend, and he's like, friend, you're gonna call him a friend and Craigan's like no, no, no, no no nick nick nick not here, not here, So no mess in the precinct.
Speaker 4: He grabs her arm and they walk out of there, and Munch goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the precinct is actually reserved for suspects and victims to meet up right in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is actually where people can accidentally pass each other and attack each other. It's not it's not for unhappily married couples that work here. And Munch goes that, right there is why I stopped marrying Italian women. And it's like, okay, Munch, you've had four wives. How many could have been Italian?
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Amara and Maria are in interrogation and the first thing he says to her is how embarrassed he is, not how hurted he is that she may have cheated, but like, you come to my office and he confronts her about the lunch.
Speaker 4: She figures out.
Speaker 1: She's like, you've been following me, and he goes, you lied to me, and she goes, cause I knew you would react like this, and she's like, nothing is going on between us. We just talk and he's like, I'm your husband. You talk to me. I mean fuck that, that's not You're not in the military. You can't like if she needs to talk to a military friend. She talked to a military friend. And then she says like this is this how we talk? Good point, And then she tries to touch his face and like be kind of like tender with him, and she goes, I swear I'm not having an affair, and he like bats her arms away and he goes, I don't buy it. And then he brings up the brownstone on twenty seventh Street and he goes, is that where you meet him? So obviously she's been he's been following her for a while, like it's not just the two stakeouts that we saw or whatever, Like he's been following her because we've never even seen this fucking brownstone, And is that where you meet him? Is that where you've been screwing him? And she goes, no, that's my psychiatrist's office. I've been seeing a shrink, I didn't tell you because you like everything to be perfect and it's not. I'm not like that, and he's like, I didn't think, and she goes, you didn't think because you don't trust me. I'm your wife. You can't treat me like one of your suspects. And I gotta say I'm on Maria's side for this one here, Like she probably could have been more open with him, but like he really went off the handle right away thinking it was an affair, and it's he really fucked up, and he kind of knows he did.
Speaker 4: Like he walks out of the room very slowly. He knows he fucked up.
Speaker 1: When he gets back into the bullpen, everyone just stares awkwardly at him, and you kind of love to see it. You love to see him get in trouble for being such a hothead. And then he goes, let's get back to work, and he kind of apologizes to the immediate gang and they're back in the game now and they're looking at Stuart. He has no alibi for the Henry beat down, and Warner says it's possible he stabbed himself. Like we got a lot of Warner references here, but they couldn't afford Tamratuni that day because she's not in the episode, but they talk about her like six times. Rollins pipes in with the profile, and we just talked about this last episode. I didn't realize how early in her tenure they had her acting like George Wong, Like this is her first season. So it's kind of wild that they're already like, give us the profile, Rollins, are you are you it or are you Wong? Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I really you know. So she points out how he was tearing at the styrofoam cup when talking about Leslie. She goes, he's obsessive, he works at a comic book store. He's an outsider, desperate to be seen as a hero by Leslie, and he leads a double life. He's got this fantasy life and we don't know how Dark Kick goes. So Craigan sends Rollins on tomorrow to go back to Stuart. So they bring Stuart onto the roof and they're like, well we need the details, and Rollins is laying it on thick. She goes, well, you know, we had to let Henry go. He's got a lot of support every woman in Soho sees him as a hero, even Leslie. And then he's like, can't you tell her that he's a rapist? And they're like, just walk us through everything that happened, and he tells them how he got stabbed, but they also you could tell he's kind of nervous giving them all these details, and they're like, well, you know, Rmy says that your wounds could have been self inflicted, and we think it's because you want Leslie to think that you saved her, and they start just laying it all out for him. They're like, the Soho rapist has been around for like two months, which is about the time when you met Leslie. She told us she came into the store to buy you a gift for her nephew, and he goes, yeah, I showed her Jimmy Corrigan and The Dark Knight Returns and the New Avengers.
Speaker 4: She was really cool.
Speaker 1: And then you told her about the Justice League and she said it sounded silly because the city's safe, and he goes, I tried to warn her. Women don't know. Oh my god, can you believe that this religious nut who works in a comic book shop also things women are helpless, and then a week later the SOHO rapist struck isn't that interesting timing? And then Leslie joined up and became Fantastica so awesome, and you guys were a team until Henry came along with his meetings and sound bites and getting attention for your work. And he's like, no, no, no, that's not what happened, and Tomorrow starts amping up the humiliation, saying, Leslie went with Henry that night. They were laughing at you. She felt sorry for you. And then the copycat You really saved her, but Leslie didn't even care. You got so angry you hit her over the head with a brick. You almost killed the girl you love. And Rollins is trying to get Nick to chill out because he's being very intense, and Stuart's like, does Leslie know?
Speaker 4: What did she say about me?
Speaker 1: Like such in cell vibes, and then Rollins gets the final twist of the knife in for old Stu goes, yeah, she's leaving the Justice League. She's not Fantastica anymore, and you're not twelve nineteen, and he goes, I never meant to hurt her. I never meant to hurt anyone. I just wanted her to look at me and know that I was a zo. And that's dick wolf baby, very sad, empathetic. You can't really rape your way to be a hero, I guess. I mean, I'm sure there's an argument the other way. Well, remember Luke Perry. Remember Luke Perry's character in that episode he raped her and then met her at the support group or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sickos everywhere.
Speaker 2: I will say, this is one of the few times the real crime pretty chill, pretty chill. Okay, nothing credible, though, I'll be honest, these were This was really funny research. This was like like comic Con interviews. It was like with one of their enemies, like the superhero.
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, it's just interesting. It's interesting.
Speaker 2: So this all happened in Seattle, the rain City Superhero organization.
Speaker 1: So we're in Seattle, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: But I found articles, so that's when it like kind of started, and then one of the main group started in twenty ten. Most of the articles loose term I found were between twenty twelve and twenty fifteen. Would say, this is gonna be like the least respected thing I've ever done in the are Okay, I feel like our microchips are more respected.
Speaker 1: That's than this. Hey, I did the research on that. I still think they're possible. People are gonna get microchips soon. Oh no, it it was just not a crime.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, it was just silly.
Speaker 2: No, I had no shade to the microchip investigative research. But I found something is recent as twenty twenty four with people that were split off from the OG Crew. So, okay, you know, there's obviously drama within a volunteer superhero community in Seattle, if you can imagine. So, a group of self described superheroes started prowling the streets claiming to save people from crime. And yeah, some of their names, so the leader is Phoenix Jones, the Guardian of Seattle, and some of the other fun names are Buster Dough, Catastrophe, Gemini, Green Reaper, no name, Penelope Thorn, and Thunder eighty eight. Okay, so kind of exciting. I also have a thing that says none of them. I'm like, that could be a name too, but whatever. So and then this Phoenix Jones guy, he was also like the leader of a wider network called the Alliance that had thirty four members across the US, London, and Dubai, which is like not a.
Speaker 1: Lot, that's like three enormous cities. I'm sorry the thirty four people like me.
Speaker 2: This is like unserious. This is the most unserious investigation we've ever done. To be in this alliance, you have to have a steady job, not committed any crimes of disson honesty. You have to be able to run two miles in eight minutes and thirty seconds in full gear. And you have to be able to train with Jones for three days a week during a trial period. Damn yeah. And so he mostly like drove around the city looking for fights to stop, and he decided to become this caped crusader. CNN words not mine, and the.
Speaker 1: Article was in the entertainment section. I will say.
Speaker 4: No crime.
Speaker 2: But his car was broken into and his young son was hurt by the glass. So he decided that he was going to take a more active role in fighting crime and he threw himself fully into it. Phoenix Jones told the Seattle Post Intelligencer according to the Week, that they all have military and MMA backgrounds, but they do not carry guns. These got tasers, nightsticks, pepper spray, and Jones also had this suit and it costs ten thousand dollars. So it's bulletproof kevlar reinforced fire retardant jumpsuit made with D three L smart fabric and it hardens on impact. Oh my god, kind of cool. The hardens on impact. I've never heard that before. Seattle police do not respect them, and they think that they're silly at best or dangerous at worst, which would actually be the worst danger, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, they like didn't get how to do the saying, like the police didn't get it. Echo is a group started by El Caballero and Dragon Caballero.
Speaker 1: Is that you're saying that?
Speaker 4: That was really funny?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I don't want to say Caballero, cab Caballero, El Cabalio. Ronnie was on Bobby Lee's podcast Ronnie Chang, and Bobby was like making him say all these words with R and was like, you don't know how to say R? And then Ronnie was like, my name is Ronnie, likes I can say it?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, so El Caballero and Dragon followed the split, like if you heard me speaking Spanish, I would sound like a like a Republican I would say, unfortunately.
Speaker 4: But it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But they split from the Phoenix Jones network and the rain City superhero movement. They said that Phoenix kept pushing the legal limits and so another group emerged. But basically Phoenix got arrested for pepper spring people outside of a bar, but he was released without charges.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people just really don't like him. He sometimes made I just can't.
Speaker 2: He sometimes made things worse by trying to get involved in places he shouldn't have been. And I found these like nerd comic interviews with other nerds discussing each other. One piece was titled Seattle's Protector Causes Tension in superhero Community. I found a photo though of Phoenix and he was with Rain Wilson and director James Gunn at a premiere in twenty twelve, So there is one photo he hash Okay on a premiere. Eventually, all of this did cost Jones his day job at a daycare that cater to special needs children. It cost him his wife, and then eventually he was arrested on drug charges. His wife used to also be a superhero. Her name was Purple Rain and she used her persona to raise awareness about domestic violence. Red Ranger and Justin Servis are current members, and they just keep their eyes out. They're just trying to help anyone in need. And they said, of this group, now, they start their shifts by handing out bags with food, water, and socks, and then when they're done with that, they take vigilante strolls. But the Red Ranger says, they all have nine to fives. He's a nurse.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. And they're giving out like hygiene kits and then just walking around to help people. I do kind of think some of these are good drag names, like Justin's Service is kind of a fun name, but also fantastica with like something else with like a good last.
Speaker 2: Name, but go on, fantastica Fox. Yeah, FANTASTICA Hawks is so good. So this is you know, they mentioned the slut Walk a few times. I remember the slut Walk part of our general generation. I would say it's a transnational movement to end rape culture, including victim blaming and slut shaming sexual assault victims or just like slut shaming, I think in general.
Speaker 4: But it really worked JK.
Speaker 2: So they began and this I think alludes to like Craigan's little thing in the press conference. But in Toronto April third, twenty eleven, Toronto Police suggested that women should avoid dressing like sluts to help stop sexual assaults. So the cost So it was Michael Sanguinetti and another officer from the thirty first Division, thirty one division.
Speaker 4: I think they do things different in Canada because.
Speaker 2: You know they say like grade seven, yeah, yeah, yeah, they maybe it's thirty one division not that different.
Speaker 1: But I do. I think everything's weird. They've like Royal Mounted Police. I don't know. I don't know what's going on over there in Canada.
Speaker 2: So they were speaking on crime prevention at York University and then during the talk he legit said listen, I'm not supposed to say this, however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order to not be victimized. So it did get international attention. He did issue an apology and I'm sure he really meant it. Yeah, And that's an officer of the law saying that out loud in a room at like you don't even understand sexual assault, yet you're the authority speaking on its prevention or like with the task to stop it or punish it.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense.
Speaker 2: So you guys are the authority and you misunderstand, like it's all about power and all of these things, and like children aren't dressing a certain way and that, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And that's the leader. It's like so crazy. So the march had it.
Speaker 2: So when the march started, the first stop was like the Toronto Police headquarters. Sonia Barnett and Heather Jarvis are the leaders of the movement, and they wanted to redefine the word slut as someone in control of their sexuality. They made they wanted to make it a power word. And you can kind of compare it to take Back the Night or Reclaim the Night movement of the seventies, which was women saying that they should be able to be out at night and it doesn't mean that it's an invitation to rape. Can you imagine ya in the seventies and be like, hey, if we're out after the sun.
Speaker 1: Why are you out after dark? You silly little woman? Yeah, so disgusting.
Speaker 2: They expected about two hundred people, but three thousand people showed up at Queen's Park. Okay, So basically the other case that inspired this movement was so this guy, Kenneth Rhoades, he raped a woman on the side of the road. She said no multiple times, and the victim even said that he was like, Oh, it's only gonna hurt a little. So this is February twenty eleven, and so the Justice Robert Duar, this judge convicted the rapist, Kenneth Rhodes, of sexual assault, but only sentenced him to two years house arrest. He was like truly on the side of the rapist and the judge, this judge, she said that this was just a clumsy dawn Juan who just made a mistake of thinking sex was in the air since she kissed him earlier and was wearing a tube top and heels. Again a judge, Yeah, like these are the people in charge of the It's so upsetting.
Speaker 1: But it's like the den that like the Jenes or the Denham thing in Italy where it's like the case where her genes were so tight that that was like allowed. That was the defense.
Speaker 2: Did you see that Italy passed legislation for chemical castration?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: It was fucking past. That's exciting. I love when a country's behind my beliefs. I guess not all of them. I guess not all of them, but I am happy with Italy doing that. So this guy, you know, always with these apologies. In November and the Manitoba Court of Appeals overturned roads conviction and after a new trial they did sentence him to three years in prison in twenty thirteen. Still like true, like he did rape someone on the side of a road, but yeah, three years, okay. So I always connected the slut walk with Amber Rose, but she's just the most famous person I guess involved celebrity wise, and was the most outspoken. She didn't start it, she just brought attention to it in the United States with her march in Los Angeles. There was one in New York City that shut down Union Square, Chicago, Detroit. Marches all over the world and it's still is still happening. In Peoria, there's one schedules for September sixth, twenty twenty five, and I found a lot of them. I don't think they're as giant, but I think a lot of college campuses still do them, and it's still.
Speaker 4: Thing, like you know, in Peoria, and of.
Speaker 2: Course, like most movements and stuff, it was like super white, not that many black people involved. There's always you know, exclusions with most movements and mistakes and stuff like that, but nothing too crazy. And of course like conservatives still are like but still don't be a slut. And then also like what Finn said of like, ah, you shouldn't be dressed like that in big groups, like you know, I kind of don't want to give any like time to the people that are like, no, you don't fuck yeah, stop dressing crazy.
Speaker 4: That words bad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, now amber Rose is this is a trumper. So yeah, so the tables fucking really turned, don't they. That's great, though, amber Rose, she's made some bad decisions. Listen, that was great. Thank you so much for giving us all that information. And now we've got a great interview, so don't anybody move. Our guest today is a prolific actor who has been working consistently for over thirty years. You may remember him from films like While You Were Sleeping and Rounders. He was also on a little show you may have heard of called The Sopranos, but you know him best as the philandering chef Henry Brazeki. Please enjoy our lovely combo with Michael Rispoli.
Speaker 2: Well we'll talk about the episode. But you are in one of my favorite movies. Oh, which is a do you want to guess?
Speaker 6: Ther?
Speaker 1: Now? Should I just tell you.
Speaker 6: Well while you were sleeping?
Speaker 1: No, we do love that movie, we do. I was going to bring it up. I actually just watched it for the first time a life ago, and when I was looking at your IMDb, I was like, oh my god, I'm talking to Joe Junior on my podcast.
Speaker 4: This is so exciting.
Speaker 6: But so, Lisa, what is the movie Rounders? Oh, you're a poker player.
Speaker 2: I wasn't like two thousand and you know when it was like really a big deal. But my brother in law plays. But I watched that movie all the time. I don't know why I love it. I was a big girl too.
Speaker 6: It was really you know what, it was a great time shooting that movie, and it was and it was a great movie. It came out about a year two years before the big poker craze, you know. I remember they were just ahead of the curve just a little bit, and then it took off. And then everybody who plays a poker, you know, all the tournaments there like that. They always talk to me about it. So yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: And it's stars studded and you you get to like beat people up in strip clubs like fun hats, like have a good time.
Speaker 6: I know, it was great. I enjoyed. My whole character was the hat. Yeah, that was It was a pork piet so. But that's kind. I'm glad you liked that movie because I'll tell you. I'll tell you something quick. You don't have to be quick, okay. I uh So, Matt Damon had done Goodwill Hunting, so he kind of blew up, you know, everywhere, him and and uh Ben Affleck and because of the writing, and while we were shooting it, the Oscar nominations came out and he got an Oscar nomination and very humble, very you know, I mean you know he was like, oh my gosh, I can't believe it, you know, all this other stuff. He was very humble, really really a great down there guy and stuff ed Norton was on there too, on the movie too. His first movie. He got an Oscar nomination. The Woman Richard Gear that's it, primal fear. He was terrific, you know, and he was when we were shoot and rounders, he was, uh, all right, I can't go too much.
Speaker 4: We could cut it out, but I have to know.
Speaker 6: No, you're not gonna cut it. I know that I heard this about podcast. It's just that, uh, he was not as humble, that's all. Well, so, uh but not a bad way. He was not a bad way. But he you know, he was he had been there. He had been there already, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So it was he wasn't nice to Matt Datement about it.
Speaker 6: Oh No, it's not what I'm saying. Definitely not many of this out. All I'm saying is when we you know, I would speak. I'm just saying on that thing. You know, first nomination for Matt Damon, and he had had a first time It's just a couple of years before. He was in the middle. He had just finished shooting. They were in post production for American History X.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: He was feeling really good about that movie. And he was tremendous in that movie.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have scenes together in Death to Mucchie?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, And that's the difference. So a few years later we went and did Death to Smoochie and he had already done a few films obviously, and then he had directed a movie one with Ben Stiller. That's it. He's a priest, the other ones a rabbi and everything like that. And the movie was fine, you know. I guess it did well enough or whatever. He was different a few years later, you know, and we went and we shot that up in Toronto, Death to Smoochie and it was great saying them and we were laughing about a lot of stuff and everything. And then he rented a he's really a good guy. He rented a ice house for what do you do up for Canada hockey like Carling Arena because he wanted to try curling. So he went Carling for the afternoon, him and he had two friends and O in the movie She's Amazing that was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Also asked for you, Robin Williams, isn't it well?
Speaker 6: Robin Wallas was amazing to watch work. He was tremendous.
Speaker 4: Oh Catherine Keener a thrick key and.
Speaker 6: His husband at the time, a great actor in his own right. And again I have forgotten his name. And it looked like a big idiodea you keep filling in all the plays.
Speaker 2: Oh Dermott Melrooney. I didn't even know they were together. They were married cool.
Speaker 6: They were married at the time. Anyways, it was a weekend and he said, I read to this curling how you want to go? So we learned that of curl you have to throw it and glide and all this stuff. And it was Dermott mulroney and and he had a friend from school his school days was up there with him, not Dermott, what do they call it, ed Norton. So it was fun. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Were you excited to do this episode or did it.
Speaker 6: That's for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah. I mean, well you goad. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, because you did you did like uh at Law and Order first, and then you did Criminal Intent and then you did SVUS like you know, you've done all of them.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're in New York and you're a New York actor, you generally you generally, you know, I mean, that's the shows to do in town, what with the ones that are shooting in town. And I did I think I might have did two one orders maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You've done a couple of regular Law and Orders and then like and then you've done like a Chicago p D and an FBI most wanted.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're like in the Dick Wolf, they've got your speed dial.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I had dinner with Dick Wolf one time, not me personally. There was like fifteen people at the table and he was on the other end of the table, and I kept wanting to get his attention, like he put me on a show. But he was, you know, he was having a good time. We're literally on the opposite ends of a long table.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he probably doesn't even remember.
Speaker 4: Well, you've done like a hunt. I mean, you have like a ton of credits.
Speaker 1: You've been working for decades, so we're not expecting you to remember like specific too many specifics about this. But do you remember like any like ins and outs of doing this wild episode where they're superheroes beating people up on the streets.
Speaker 6: Yes, for you. Yeah. When I read it, I was like, Wow, superheroes in the city. You know, I'm like, Wow, that's it, that's cool, that's you know, generally, the law and orders they pulled from the you know, they pulled from the headlines or kind of thing. And I wasn't sure how that element got in there, But I rewatched the show and somebody talks about one of the characters talks about something they brought up, but I felt it was happening in another city. Maybe when did you guys see the show?
Speaker 2: So this is based on these superheroes that were in Seattle and it was like a group of you know, they didn't solve many crimes, and then they took it to a new level with the assault, you know, And in the episode they talk.
Speaker 1: About the slut Walk, which happened in Toronto but then also moved to different cities.
Speaker 4: So like, yeah, we're That's what we.
Speaker 1: Do in this podcast is like find out what it's based on too, So like we found out some of that. But I thought it was interesting that you were in the movie kick Ass that was about high schoolers wanting to be superheroes, and then right after you're in this about adults wanting to be superheroes. And then how did you start getting into acting? I know you grew up in like sort of the New York, like right outside of New York, right like tape kind of area.
Speaker 6: I grew up in Rockley County and I always had an interest in it. I went to college for it. I finished the early so I can get in the city. And then I went to Circle in the Square theater program. It was a two year school. You know. They took in just a certain number of suits, and then they cut the class in half the second year and then which I uh, I made the second class. But and then as I was getting out of school, one of the teachers recommended myself and a few others. Myself and three others they needed understudies for a John Malkovich directed play down at Circle Repertory down in it was down when it used to be in the garage on seventh Day, New South. I had twenty two people on the stage and they needed understudies for no pay. But you've got credit towards your equity card. So I was out of school about a month or so. I had an audition for him. I thought I did terrible, but I got the job. So I had to learn seven roles. I ended up going on for six of them. But that was with the Steppenwolf people.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: So it was half Steppenwolf half Circle rep which was a tremendous theater company in New York at the time. So Malcolvich gave me my first job. So when you talk about Rounders. When I saw him on Rounders, you know, we talked about that, you know, and every he was always big, very quiet, very self spoke, you know when he speaks, you know. But but it was great because Laurie Metcalfe was in that show. Gary Sone was in that show, Terry Kinney was in that show, Jeff Perry, Glenn Headley, I mean, you know, these were all originalty These were all original Steppenwolf people, and they came from Chicago to do the show in New York. They originally did in Chicago, but to bring it to New York, who had to be half Steppenwolf Circle rep. So I was a rookie and I was on stage with like, you know, four hundred years of experience from everybody, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's what a start.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a great start. And and uh so that's how I know. And and then somebody left the show and then I got my equity car because I took over the part, you know. So but it was great and it was a great production. I mean, standing ovations every night. Laurie metcalfter the monologue started the second act and Glenn Hadley is, I'll tell you this real quick. Is this all right? Yeahlen rip Okay, So they're on you on stage. It's a diner, an all night diner. It's a Lamford Wilson play. And he had done it many many years before, and uh anyways, Uh, it's an all night diner and just hookers and pimps and drug addicts and everything else. It's you know, basically from the sixties, late sixties, you know. So Glenn Hadley is a hooker in the in the prostitute, you know, walking the street, and and Laurie Metcalf is a girl who comes into the neighborhood lost, like I don't know what I'm gonna do kind of thing. Anyways, kind of falls in loves with a guy. In a sense, it's late night. I'm the overnight manager of the place, so Glenn Hedley is just her. Otherwise it's a big crowd, cross talking and every Glenn Hedley is just sitting in the booth and she's eating soup. You know. So it's late at night, nobody's there. I'm reading the paper at the counter, and Laurie Meg comes in. She goes, you know, I'm looking for the guy she fell in love with. Whoever. The character was, you know, I can't seek to find him and everyone else, and so Glenn Headley had to listen to Laurie Metcalf. It was like a twenty five minute monologue, twenty two minute monologue, I think. And she went on and on and told the story about how where she came from and what she did and how she did and she used to it was going to get married, but then this happened. Anyways, she brought the house down every night. She nailed that monologue every night. So here I am a young guy out of school. I'm sitting there reading the paper basically, you know, because that's all you have to do. And I saw I get to listen to her every night. I even kind of moved around so I could peek at it. Sometimes she nailed that every night. Audience would go up. Tom Waite's song would come up, waltson until there's a lot of great music right at the end of the monologue, people clapping, the music come up, and then I start noticing Glenn Hedley. Glenn Hedley has to listen to this twenty two minute monologue. When an occasional interjection, you know, and now I'm gone, Oh my god, I thought Worry Metcalfe was. She was amazing. But then I'm looking at Glenn Heaveley and she could lessen like nobody's business. When an occasional, you know, she had a word here and there she made the monologue word. I mean, Laura Metcalffe did the monologue at him. But the two of them, she her listening, her concentration was amazing. So I learned just so much from that show, and specifically those two tremendous actresses.
Speaker 1: So yeah, those are like two of my tops. I would say, I think they're both so awesome.
Speaker 4: That's so great.
Speaker 1: Well you watched the episode, yes, so tell us your reflections memories. Wow'd you feel?
Speaker 6: My memory is watching it that I had more hair and I was like, oh boy, I remember when I had that hair. You know, you know what it was. It was funny because I was remembering what was going on in my life at the time and it was fine. But I had to be Upstate a lot, so I remember driving in. I had my apartment in the city, but I remember having a drive in to make the call times and stuff and then do the show. I remember Mariska Hargetae being really nice. She actually brought she's got a number of children, is that correct. Yeah, she had brought there was a she brought it one of her daughters in one day. Really cute young girl. She's probably thirty years older, but she was very nice. And and the whole crew, all those law and orders are like a really fine tuned machine. The crews are great, the team stays are great. I mean, all of those guys, like they got a job and there here it is twenty six years later. Do they get married, they have a kid, the kids get kid, graduates, graduates college, and then you know, gets married themselves and they're still working on the same job. I mean, it's so those the crews were terrific. And I I do a few of the guys on the crew and you know, the team stairs in New York a little bit, but the other actors were really nice. I just remember it feeling really good. I felt like I felt like I was in really good hands, you know. So I made sure I was prepared, and I mean, which I usually do, but I really want to make sure. I remember when I got beat up outside the car. Those guys actually hit me in the ribs, you know, so I because they got to kick you in stop and there's a couple little you know, too enthusiastic, you know. But it wasn't bad though. That's fine. I mean that kind of what happens. I get beat up in a lot of more. Either I'm beating somebody up. I used to either beat people up or get beaten up.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you prefer?
Speaker 6: Uh, you know what, I'm a little I prefer to get I prefer to probably beat somebody up now because well here's the difference. I'm older now, so you know, there's only so much I can beat somebody up. That's you know, on the screen what I'm asked to do. But when I first started, first time, somebody, I remember direct, can you take who I need somebody take a punch, go to the floor. I'll do it. I'll do it, you know. I take my punchy. You just gotta you know, you gotta time it and snap your head so it really looks like you're getting in or it. They put the sound effects in later because the guy's missing you by this much, you know, at least that much. Just the camera angle. So I get hit and I go to the floor, and then they go, okay, let's do it again. That was great, not just to me. The scene right, great, Let's do it again, do it again, do it again, do it again. This angle, that angle, this angle. So after that, I learned not to volunteer to get hit and go to the floor. So somebody when they say we got you know, we got a fight, you can take a punch. How about I take a punch and I just kind of go back against the wall like this as opposed down on my knees, you know. So, I mean, honestly, that's what it was, because they used to be bigger fights. I did a Spike Lee movie Summer of sam and in the area have the Fight.
Speaker 4: I love that movie too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I got to beat people up in that one. But but the difference is, like when you get hit, you gotta go down. You gotta do it twenty more times at different angles, you know. So I learned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, wow, Well there's.
Speaker 6: One I forget. I forgot. I'm sorry, I interrupted, No, keep talking. I forgot that then I was a player.
Speaker 1: And that oh yeah, what I was going to bring up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I forgot that I was a player. But I go, I know I'm not the I know I wasn't the rapist, you know, and now I wasn't the criminal and stuff, and then it all it comes to me, go, no, that's right, because I'm with her, and then I'm with the other one. The other one.
Speaker 1: Your wife's sister.
Speaker 4: Your wife's sister, such a sister.
Speaker 6: That was a tough one. I had to say my wife's sister. Oh jeez, I forgot I did that. And then and then because then I remember because the guy who played uh what was his name? The girl? The woman was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and the guy was his name?
Speaker 1: Is? Like here, somebody the guy who plays is you're talking about the other guy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: But what was his character? He had a character name?
Speaker 4: Oh, twelve nineteen or something.
Speaker 6: Twelve nineteen is what he had on his lists because it was that thing. But I think he had him and FANTASTICA were a team, and I forget what his superhero name was. But either way, I just that's when I remember it. I well, yeah, he put it in mind, he sent me in the car, he set it up. It was him, you know, everything else, And then it all kind of came to me. So what was great was I hadn't seen it basically since it came out so when I'm watching it and I'm like, hey, that's pretty good. That's pretty good, you know. And it's hard watching yourself over and over because I'm not I'm not you know, you're always kind of satisfying. You never I'm never fully satisfied with what I'm doing on the screen. But I watched it and I was able to sit back and just enjoy the show. Again, it's a great you could see it in there. Just what a well oiled machine that is, you know, so you get to you can really appreciate s for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so good because even though I've seen it a few times, I still really thought that it was you. But the Philander stuff is very funny. I love when SVU gets funny and when you start talking about all the women you're with, it is like a nice funny moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and listen, I'm not Brad Pitt, So you know, I'm not asked to play those roles too many times, you know, because who's going to believe it?
Speaker 1: Well, you're supposed to be a big chef, and like, you know, there's a lot of that that goes on in the restaurant world late nights.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and I did have a nice chef nice chef's shirt.
Speaker 4: They give you a nice chef shirt. And you ever take things from set for memories?
Speaker 6: No, they don't let it. I mean, I don't ever take anything. If there's something I really want, I asked him. I was doing a movie called Nana's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to know about that, because this same movie seems right up my alley.
Speaker 6: Oh, you gotta watch it. You got to see it. It's a lot of fun. I usually do movies that are are This movie is a real good, feel good movie. You know, there's no real cursing, nobody's getting beat up. It's just a really it's just a nice story. And it's based on the true story, so it's kind of got a good feeling to it. You'll get a little choked up. So I really liked it. And by the way, and I've done a movie with Joe Manganello. We did a baseball movie and he's a great guy. And then Lorraine Brocco, you know, Andrea di Matteo. I mean, like, you know, so there was people I knew, you know, on the on the set and everything, so they you know, they were great. But why did I.
Speaker 4: Even bring up on us well, you took something.
Speaker 6: Right, So you generally don't take anything on the set. You know, you can ask it if you could tell if something's not needed anymore, Hey can I have that? But what no way I want. I don't take it to put up on a shelf or anything. On that movie though you guys haven't seen it, there's a big Italian street fair, you know, all food outside, and they had like all cans of olive oil and tonatives and everything. We finished shooting, I go, what are you gonna do with that stuff? You know, so the props goes, Hey, you could take. So I took some olive oil and kids at domates and stuff like that because they were just gonna ship it somewhere else and was staying at it was outside for a long time. You know, that kind of thing. But that's a prop. When you're done with the props, you know that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I would take and news, but I don't take a momento. I don't take like an ash tray from a hotel movie scene that I was in or something. Does anybody use ashtrays anymore?
Speaker 4: I don't know I do, but I'm a pothead more.
Speaker 6: It's well, then you need an ash. If I get an ass stray, I will send it to you.
Speaker 1: What do you get like recognized for the most like are people calling you out from Sopranos or they're all while you were sleeping fans or what?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well around those actually plese you know people say that because I mean I'm older, but you know they kind of recognized me for that. One guy said you were you were you were Grandma? That movie I get recognized for and h while you were sleeping, And it's usually one time. I had a woman and her daughter and her daughter was like you know, twenty something. They go, oh my god, your favorite movie and watching every Christmas. You know, it was like you know, and the mother saw it when she was younger, and then she introduced it to the daughter. So I always liked that kind of thing, you know, I uh. And then the Sopranos. Yeah, the Sopranos, and you know it gets wild when they and what I do I mean not a lot of people saw it, unfortunately, was Death to Smoochi. Yeah, that character, the character I played was a punch trunk boxer. So the people who see that movie are a little rabbit about it. So when I meet one of them. They go, oh my god, it's been done so and mostly I get this, Hey, I know, oh man, you're an actor. I know I've seen you in so many things. Oh my well, tell me what you've been And I go, I'm not gonna do that. Just look my name, like, here's my name. I can't go through a list. I used to try to. I used to go while you sleeping. No, no, it's not that. What else? Volcano?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: What else? This movie? That movie? Now, I don't know what kind of movies you want. I can't go through the whole IAMTB.
Speaker 4: It's like one hundred credits.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's they recognize the face, they recognized the voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is like we you know, sodays we hear about from actors on different shows where like or movies where when it's such a huge hit, it like bonds everybody together. Do you still talk to like a lot of the Sopranos guys or like run into each other a lot?
Speaker 6: And yeah, okay, so I'll tell you this. We all kind of knew each other coming up. Michael imperially. I did my first movie with Michael, who was a great guy of great actor and funny. We he had it. He was doing All Off Broadway as I was doing my theater company, and we happened to do the same play, you know, different productions of the Canadian tiny Canadian playwright. And so we you know, when we first met, we talked about that. Just by chance we did that. I did my first movie with him and with Vince Denafrio and and then so you got to know the other people. I did this movie called Angie with Jimmy Gandelfini. It was called Angie, I says, but then it became Angie and it was Geena Davis Haena to Toro was.
Speaker 1: In It's for You, Judge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right. That's right, She's yes for you.
Speaker 1: J Just Angie movie looks so familiar, like I watched it when I was like a kid or something exactly.
Speaker 6: You watched it when you you you watched it all those years ago. So that's where I met Jimmy. We really kind of bonded. We're very close, Jimmy and I. We go out, you know, drinking every once in a while and and and things like that. So I knew Jimmy. Then I did Demi Moore to Me More and Alec Baldwin movie The Juror, and Jimmy was in it, so I would say him. We went up for a lot of the same roles, so we got to know so we would see each other and again we went out socially and would have a good time. So I knew those guys and I knew Michael. I did a movie with Tony si Rico, who played Pauli Walnuts and the Sopranos, a weekend movie. It was like every weekend we shot and we I never saw in a movie. But we shot it in a strip club because the guy who was shooting it ran security at the strip club and he got Saturday mornings or he got Sunday mornings, you know, when the place it was all closed. We shot for a few hours. I never saw a move, but I met Tony Cirico. He was a great guy and fortunately the best way. A few years ago, Viny Pastor, you know, I did a movie with him called Two Family House. So I'll see Vinnie every once in a while, and I know I'm missing somebody. But the thing is, do you see everybody everybody's you know, doing their family. Every family has grown. You see each other occasionally occasionally you talk to each other when that was going on. I was only in it for a few episodes, you know, but we but like I say, I already done it. I think I did maybe four movies with Jimmy, maybe five Michael a couple of movies. Michael was a co writer on Summer of Sam So and Michael, so I knew, you know Michael that way. So we would look each other up in the city and go out. Those guys would be running all over the city. They're making appearances together all the time. So there was a really close little tribe going on. And I would be there from time to time, but it would be more like a personal dinner with Michael, with Jimmy or whenever you would see them. Everybody loved to see each other. But but they you know, they couldn't go anywhere, you know, and the city was open to them, you know, they would I mean, you know, so that was a great time that way. Did I answer you question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm no, It's okay.
Speaker 2: You guys all talk well, what is there anything you'd like to that's coming out?
Speaker 4: But talk about something that's coming out.
Speaker 6: Well, it's already out, known as his Out, which I think is a really good movie. For it's a family you can watch it with your family, you know, it's nice and everybody's a little older in the cast, but the theme. Anybody can watch it.
Speaker 1: And right, yeah, it's on Netflix Share.
Speaker 6: And I did a movie called Alto Knights that came out a few months ago with De Niro, Robert de Niro, Barry Levinson director.
Speaker 1: Did you clarify that it was Robert de Niro? Yeah, not a different DeNiro, you.
Speaker 6: Know, but different DeNiro plays two roles in it.
Speaker 4: So Alto Nights, huh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the yeah, Alto Nights.
Speaker 1: And then this looks very DeNiro.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's very DeNiro. And he's a traumatous, really soft spoken, focused man, focused actor. I mean a man is all eighty years old now maybe, but I mean focused, knows his stuff. He's really and gentle, gentle man. You know, you know you're in especially as a younger Italian guy. Listen, when I first came into the you guys are going to get thrown off the area. I'm just telling old stories. But when I first came into when I was first studying, you know, when I first moved into the city. You know, you want to meet Daniro, you want to meet Paccino. You know, I'm a young Italian American actor and there philosophy is my philosophy and acting method, acting all this other stuff. So I always thought they're going to call me kid. I just want to be called kid, you know, on the the set one day. You know, if I haven't make it, that was gonna say, kid, come here, I'll take you under my wing. You know, I finally meet him. I'm no longer a kid. He didn't call me kid, but I was, like I wanted to say, I just called me kid, just so at once. I've been thinking of it for forty years. But but he was. He was a really good gentleman. He gave me to gave me the look, so I said, okay, I got the look of approval.
Speaker 1: So that's just good. This is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us. Michael Hey, thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: This works out perfectly because I gotta go meet somebody. But but I have to tell you I am. I'm really happy for you guys. Congratulations on you five years. I hope you go twenty six years.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Many seasons as SVU.
Speaker 6: Maybe we'll say, all right, take care guys.
Speaker 1: That was fun as fuck. He is a character so funny but like also down to earth and just like yeah, I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: Remember so much prepare Yeah, speaking of being prepared, our story watched the episode, had things to say, thought about everything, and when he guess while you were sleeping instead of Rounders, it did make me laugh. It's like when I get into an uber and they start playing Lady Gaga, I'm like, you got me right, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it ended up being Rounders. But when he said, well you are sleeping, I guess that's what I give. But we loved we loved that movie, like I remember my mom and I loving it. So the nineties were I don't know, I just feel crazy, just wish you could go back in time and just watch a VHS tape and like, I don't know, not live this life. You know. I was just seeing this thing on Instagram today about how like it was. It was some article about like how teens like are jealous of a pre like internet time like today's teens like they do kind of want to know what it was like like before they were We were all like glued to our phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the Internet will be shut down sooner or later, so we're not talking to each other, so they'll know.
Speaker 4: Soon it'll be pay It'll be like I mean.
Speaker 2: They wanted nineties fun, but they might end up getting nineteen thirties starving, and.
Speaker 1: Then we're all gonna have to become bang gangs of superheroes doing vigilant justice on the streets and like saving people from getting like, you know, taken by the state or whatever. I don't know what are our little superhero names going to be fantastic? I feel like I've thought of fun like drag slash superhero names before.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking at my little Boo Boo box and it says boom on it. Oh, but that's that's actually called kobanas thing boom boom.
Speaker 1: Do you get a new La Boo Boo?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: But I have the boxes.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, okay, I thought maybe I saw you unboxing a new La Boo Boo.
Speaker 4: No, it's listen the videos go up. When they go up. I don't know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I not mean to bring up a dead relative. I apologize.
Speaker 1: I just uh, I Rosie had her La Booo in her backpack that she's been bringing a camp every day and today I saw it in there and I go, I'm taking this out. I go, you know, Lisa got her La Boo Boo stolen. She was like really, And I go, yeah, and so did someone else I know? And she goes, maybe the same person stole both of them. I was like, maybe maybe the little Boo Boo. Yeah, So I told her we got a a La Booo at home. It's your prize possession. But takeaways post mortem from this episode, what do you I mean, Like, I don't know. It's hard for me to say, like, don't do vigilante justice because sometimes it does feel like we're on the precipice of that being like our only option.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I need to get a sword.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your mode. A sword is how you're gonna defend yourself when they take over. I think we need a taser, a stung like, something that's a little bit more electronic.
Speaker 4: I don't know, sword work. That seems very difficult.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to charge the tasers, yep, We're not gonna have keep your taser charged. I mean, I never want to. I've never wanted to own a gun, but I haven't either. Wait, Joel, it has to take me shooting. I got a text her. Oh yeah, maybe I'll make her do it. Oh we could do like a joint birthday shooting events. Oh yeah, her birthdays around yours. Yeah, she's a very guy to.
Speaker 2: But she's September, but like September third or fourth, something like that. I actually had a lot of friends I remember in school that were September one, two, three, vibes. But I was August thirty first, so I was a full year younger than them.
Speaker 4: They were all a full year old.
Speaker 2: Because once your birthdays post September, you have to like, wait, yeah.
Speaker 1: You actually have the craziest birthday if you were to be in the school systems in LA, because you have to be Oh no, actually no, you would have the most you'd be the youngest person in your whole strade. But that's how it was because for me, Oh really, because you could. It was very loose back then. If you wanted to put your kid in a year early you could, or late you could. Now it's like you have to be four, but to enter the public school you have before by September second. So if you're born on like September third, you're definitely gonna be like the oldest.
Speaker 6: You know that.
Speaker 1: It's really strict and they make no exceptions. Yeah, my neighbor was like one year old, certa and stuff. We would go to school.
Speaker 4: Oh, I had a friend like school who was older than me too. I was young. I was young.
Speaker 1: They shot me right into school early. Like being young, I like, I always hated it in terms of getting my license and like everybody because I wanted to get it, like when everybody else was getting it, but then and then turning twenty one. But then like after I was twenty one, I was like, oh, being young is the best you know? No, I always yeah, being a little baby, well you're just the eldest sister, so you never had it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never felt like a baby maybe one brief year of my life.
Speaker 1: I felt like a baby when you were a baby, when I was an actual baby, and then I had two siblings by the time I was too. But I guess the takeaway from this episode is, yeah, like watch how even the nerdy comic book guy is probably posing as a serial rapist so that he can date you.
Speaker 2: It's a really fucked storyline. At the end of the day, you never want to suspect this of someone your date or she didn't want to date him.
Speaker 1: They were friends. Yeah, but it's also like did he shoot his shot?
Speaker 2: Like you're doing all of this vigilante work and superhero outfits and all this raping when you could have been like, do you want to go out? And then she could have been like, I'm gonna I'm gonna fuck this married chef.
Speaker 1: My bad. I'm sure he shot a shot or knew that she was definitely gonna reject him. I mean, like he he was not going to land Fantastica. But I think he thought as twelve nineteen, he would, you know, oh yeah, what would be my name.
Speaker 2: Something with yeah, lion Lisa, the lion from this that's so Simpson's codd it's least a lioness.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know that's the doll's name.
Speaker 2: She had her own Malibu Stacey Doll. And oh, I don't know now, I don't know. Wrong, I'm gonna be so embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and also like, oh my god, fuck your pastry chef, but do not fuck your sister, your wife's sister. Henry Broseki Jesus God, the worst, the worst betrayal.
Speaker 2: I just totally thought, but he did it. Like I've seen this a lot. I'm like, it's the chef. I remember, but I forgot there's double twists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly feel like the stutter of Stuart kind of gave it away to me. Like I always think when they're trying to make somebody seem like more innocent or like more you know, like vulnerable, like it's there they are hiding something, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand why I can't get an easy answer. Yeah it was. It's Lisa lion Heart. I'm like, what the fuck lion Heart. It's like I forgot how to google or something like nothing. It just kept showing me other things. Lisa lion Heart was the doll that Lisa created.
Speaker 4: It's a fun episode.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I want a superhero name.
Speaker 1: Fuck. I think the Lioness is kind of a good one. But like I wouldn't. You wouldn't like put your name in it, you know, you would just be like the something or yeah, yeah, somebody I Lady Lucky and be Lady Lucky.
Speaker 4: Lady Lucky.
Speaker 1: What's your Rosie made me look up the whole fantastic for today and tell me tell them all their powers.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 2: When I went to see The Materialists, he was in almost every single preview and then in every single poster in the hallway, Like truly, he's in four movies right now that.
Speaker 1: He is the moment. He is the moment moment.
Speaker 4: Wait, what did you think of The Materialists?
Speaker 2: I liked it. There were moments I really liked and I would watch it again.
Speaker 1: But I would never tell someone to go see it and be like, it's good, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But oh, really okay, but I really wanted to go see the arts. I saw the movie theater.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: I liked the parts where like I liked it. She's not a good enough actress. Sorry, like I really like her, but like she couldn't carry this movie.
Speaker 1: So like, I mean, yeah, I like Dakota Johnson way more as a person.
Speaker 2: And the movie star. Her parents are venomous in the work she does. I think a better actress would have made it better. Also, Chris Evans like him playing poor out of work actor schlub with It's.
Speaker 1: Like Casey is shaking his head and it really it was just literally the embottoment of s md H.
Speaker 4: He was just shaking my damn head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're trying to tell me Chris Evans didn't go to college.
Speaker 5: I agree with everything you're saying, Lisa and Dakota Johnson. It's like I grew up poor. It's like, no, you fucking didn't. Like I don't know it was it did not work for me.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She also says in it that her she made her yearly salary is eighty grand, and it's like, no way is someone with that job in New York living on that the way she liked, like it was just like why did you just say one fifty?
Speaker 4: Like if you just said one fifty it would be more.
Speaker 2: But the best line, there's like a line where page Ro's like it's hard not to believe that this isn't about the legs and like that to me was like the best part of the movie.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 5: But I didn't feel like that was supposed to be funny. Oh I know, and that's why, like, do you know what we're talking about?
Speaker 1: No, no, and we shouldn't. We shouldn't still, But I had heard from from my friend who's a movie writer He said that they released like two different trailers and one was like very rom comedy and one was very Selene songy, like one they were trying to make seem more like it's a past lives like it's a it's an A twenty four series and it's beautifully shot. I mean the song of it is like it is very pretty. So I was wondering what it ended up being, like is it wrong? But it's a bad mix of both.
Speaker 5: It feels like it has the bones of a romantic comedy with zero jokes, Like it feels like structurally it feels like a romantic comedy, but it's not funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only things that were funny but not ha ha was like her clients, Like the clients at communicating their demands of like what they're looking for and her trying to figure it out. But what I also loved about the movie is like the female boss was nice, like she was hardcore and business but was like, no, I get it, it takes some time off. Like I like that it wasn't adversarial kind of classic in that way.
Speaker 4: Well, I will watch it on a plane for sure. Yeah, when I get a perfect plane movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I saw it alone on July fourth, So that's a lot of stakes on the movie. Well, my my the thing is my Australia trip got canceled right before July fourth, so a bunch of my friends did have different plans. But it's like I didn't want, I couldn't really get it together to do these.
Speaker 4: Far off things, or I didn't want.
Speaker 2: I didn't want, I didn't feel these things i'd have spot and then I just.
Speaker 1: Was like, I'm going to enjoy the city.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I walked around, You're never born in New York.
Speaker 2: You're not And so then god, except this artsy fartsy movie theater does not have a hot dog, and it's like so annoying. So I'd have a hot dog before and after, like I'm sorry, get a hot dog. You can't show an independent movie and eat a dog, like it's so annoying.
Speaker 4: But I like, I've never had a hot dog in a movie theater.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't like actually go together exactly, like perfectly to me the way for you, But I can see it's like if they didn't have like my razin utes or something, I would be mad.
Speaker 2: On July fourth, it's the July fourth elementsion. I don't know the material. I wish it was better. There's some unbelievable things, but I'm in I like the questions they propose and like the themes and I was into it.
Speaker 4: But okay, all right, I'll get back with my review.
Speaker 2: But I would never tell someone to watch it. I may but imagine a better actress, and I think it would be carried differently.
Speaker 1: I've been saying pretty much forever that I think Dakota Johnson has the charisma of Atnial.
Speaker 2: But what I mean, it's like you're trying to like you want to see the chemistry, like you want to root for the couples, you want to also be tricked by, Like who is she gonna pick? Like yeah, but there was just no chemistry. But I would pick Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 1: But I do think she's like funny on a podcast, Like I've seen her be funny and clips on podcasts, and I do think it's funny she called out Ellen, Like there's things about Dakota as a person that I think, like the Amy Polar podcast clips. Yeah for sure, but it's just like I don't you're not want to go see her?
Speaker 2: Your mom's Melanie Griffith. Your stepdad's an sonyo, Benderaz, your dad is Don Johnson. Stop trying to be relatable. Yeah, your mom grew up a lions, legit lions.
Speaker 4: I remember. All right, let's get into our what would sister peg? Do? You guys know this?
Speaker 1: It's our weekly segment where we direct you towards an article, a book, a doc, an organization, something to give you more info about what we talked about today. And we just thought that uh Old twelve nineteen had a lot of in cell ideology and uh we wanted to point you to an article on Safeguarding dot Network called Responding to the in Cell Ideology. It's an extensive explanation of in cell culture and how to protect your loved ones from pervasive and expensive in cell ideology. Trust me, you think your kids are not watching Andrew Tait videos, they're popping up. It also has a huge list of in cell terms with definitions. If you're like, what the hell are you been talking about? I think it's a huge part of raising better boys in our society. So if you're interested in reading the article, head over to Safeguarding dot Network that will be linked in our show notes and in a story the day that this episode comes out, that will be saved forever in our WWSPD highlight.
Speaker 2: Amazing and next week episode we will be doing coned for it always just reminds me of James Con, like I can't say cond without thinking of the Con and his son, Scott Con. Yeah, Scott Con season eleven, well he's yeah, friends with money, you know how we love that Season eleven, episode nineteen con Hulu Peacock and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: I thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: It's truly a pleasure that you would even listen to the end, hoping for one more squeeze a juice.
Speaker 4: Bye, guys, see you next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 4: At glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more Information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producer Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 5: Dun Dun