Speaker 1: The volume. All right, welcome to hips to night here at the volume Heavy Friday, everybody. Oh Bob, you guys are having a great end to your week. I'm coming to you guys from Houston. I am in a hotel here for my brother's wedding. I was hoping Lebron would have made his decision a little bit earlier so that I could be nice and comfortable in my studio right now. But alas he took his time, he made a decision, and he's going to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. An absolutely shocking outcome. I would have had this one fourth at highest in terms of likelihood. Obviously all eyes were on Cleveland Golden State in Miami. But Lebron's going to be a Philadelphia seventy six er today. I really just want to have an instant reaction first impressions. This is so out of left field for me. I know that that was consistently on the list. Jackson and I were talking before we started recording, how like Obviously there was the Bob Meyer's appearance on the podcast, and Rich Paul was consistent that Philly was on the list.
Speaker 2: So I think it's just for me personally.
Speaker 1: I had a really hard time envisioning Lebron going to Philly, so it just is a place that I haven't spent a ton of time mentally kind of like thinking about it. So again, we're gonna do just an instant reaction, first impression stuff today. I want to talk about the fit questions. I want to talk about the Lebron talking about how he was thinking about retiring. I want to talk about the where I think they stack in the east, just kind of first impressions. We'll talk a little bit about what potential trades could be on the in the on the horizon for them in terms of continuing to build out this team.
Speaker 2: And then tomorrow morning, what.
Speaker 1: We'll do is we'll do like a more detailed let me, let me sleep on it for a day and let me think about some things, and we'll put together a more you know, kind of second impressions type of a show tomorrow morning. You guys know the joke before we get started, subscribe to the Hoopsent on YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. We have a goal to get tow one hundred and fifty thousand subs, so you guys could do us a huge favor by just scrolling down and hitting that subscribe button. If you're already subscribed like this video, sign up for post notifications. That helps us a lot. All right, let's talk some basketball. So again, this was kind of out left field, out of left field for me. Lebron ends up tweeting an explanation. He says, I thought I was done when the season ended. A very fascinating kind of look at how he was contemplating his basketball mortality there for a minute. I wasn't ready to announce it, and I knew I needed some time to really decide. But I was pretty sure I played my last game. I was honest at that last press conference when I said I needed to look at myself and decide if I still love this game. I still truly love this game, and I have more to give. The last few weeks have been really special. I've never been able to have no clue what to do. It's take real time to just think. I've had an incredible few months with all the people I love trying to figure it all out. This is my last decision. I'm not going for money, I'm not going for family. What am I really playing for? At this point? I still want to sacrifice. I still want to work, I still want to grind. I still want to compete, to win, and to have a chance at the feeling of winning another championship. I believe I can help make the Philadelphia seventy six ers a championship team. And I am so excited to energize a new fan base and to start this incredible journey one last time. Thank you La Miami, al Forever love in Northeast Ohio will always be home. And then some emojis. I thought the piece of about the mortality piece was fascinating to me about this because he went on that trip when he was celebrating with the twenty sixteen Calves and he talked about I think Richard Jefferson and Shanning Frye were talking about how like Lebron was still like clearly dieting and clearly you know, carrying around a big jug of water and still doing all the workouts and stuff. And I think one of the important details there is that like being one of the best basketball players of all time, if not the best, takes an enormous amount of work, Like being a forty one year old who still is a top ten playoff player in the league takes an enormous amount of work, and I think he was just contemplating whether or not it was actually worth it for him to do it. And there's one thing that can drive that, and it's a love for the game. And you know, combine that with his competitiveness and his desire to win, and here we are. We're gonna get to watch Lebron James play basketball for at least one more season. It's a player option for that second season. So I think that's just there in case he wants to retire, and we're gonna get to see Lebron with the Philadelphia's seventy six ers. So let's dig in a little bit to the fit, because there was some reasons why I didn't, like mentally kind of enter the headspace of Lebron being a sixer, and it kind of just had to do with that basketball fit. Like Lebron, I talked about this idea, like I want to see Lebron succeed, but I want to see him succeed being Lebron. I want to see him succeed being a version of himself that kind of maximizes what he's great at, and like hide some of his specific weaknesses, and that's why I looked at some of these other places. You know, like, Okay, Lebron at this point is still a great playmaking talent. The Lakers' lineups when Lebron was on the floor by himself, when he was commanding the offense last year, were some of the Lakers' most successful groups. And so that's what it had me thinking about Golden State in Miami in particular, because he would just be the secondary ball handler in both of those situations as opposed to some of these other situations where he would struggle with usage. And I mean, we've all seen the tweets that have been going around in the last little bit, like a lot of people are questioning whether or not the usage rates of all these guys kind of makes sense fitting with each other. Lebron last year twenty seven percent usage. Tyrese Maxi last year twenty nine percent usage. VJ edgecomb as a rookie getting pick and roll reps, getting opportunities to attack us at nineteen percent usage last year, Jalen Brown thirty five percent usage, one of the highest usage players in the league last year. We know what it looks like when Joel Embiid is healthy and available. He had a thirty two percent usage rate last year. So like, it's definitely like kind of a clunky fit in that specific respect. And that's where I kind of want to start in terms of the framing of them as a contender, because does that mean the fact that they were all high usage players, does that mean that they can't play together? No, that doesn't mean that at all. What it does mean, though, is that it's going to be a challenge, meaning that there is a wider range of outcomes. Jackson made this point before we started recording, and I thought it was really smart. It was like, the Knicks probably have the narrowest range of outcomes for all the different versions of themselves that they can be this year. Right, Like their ceiling is not astronomically high, but their floor is, like it's like, right there by their ceiling, we just know what the Knicks are going to be. The Sixers, certainly with their talent, have a higher ceiling than the Knicks, but they also have a lower floor than the Knicks because of that wide range of outcomes based on whether or not these guys actually fit together, based on these guys whether or not. These guys are able to piece together an offense that is greater than the sum of their parts rather than lesser than the sum of their parts. And it really comes down to a couple of different things. So Lebron James last year had a bad jump shooting season. I do think you'll have a better jump shooting season this year. But Lebron certainly is not a pure jump shooter.
Speaker 2: Right. We talked about it at various points.
Speaker 1: Jalen Brown was a forty fifth percentile spot up player last year. He was not a good spot up player. So if this turns into we're gonna run spread pick and roll with Tyre Smaxey and Joel Embiid and Jalen Brown and Lebron James are standing off the ball and there's a lot of like like dribbling the ball off the floor slowly, slowly getting into pick and roll everyone else is standing around, then yeah, you're gonna get diminishing returns there. Because now what you're doing is you're asking Lebron James for all the things he's great at to be a spot up shooter. You're asking Jalen Brown for all the things he's great at to be a spot up shooter. It puts a very it puts together a very diminishing return type of outcome for those guys. The same thing goes for you know, like certainly when Lebron is looking to attack, Tyri Smaxy can shoot. He's a good spot up player. But outside of a handful of very specific situations, if you are just running spread, pick and roll, it's going to lead to diminishing returns. So how do you take advantage of the skill sets of all of these guys in that universe? You have to take advantage of what each of their aggregate skill sets add up to. So you don't have a ton of jump shooting talent in that lineup, but what you do have is a lot of speed. You have a lot of size, like Lebron and Jalen Brown are very physically imposing, So you have guys that can beat people off the dribble, but you also have guys that can overpower people. And then you actually have quite a bit of aggregate like just offensive skill overall, like a combination of ball handling ability, playmaking ability, shot making ability. Right, So what you need to do with this group is get up the floor early in the clock we'll talk about transition in a minute, but focusing on the half court getting up early in the clock so that you can have multiple attacks. One of the things we talked about a lot, if you guys remember in the playoffs, was when you start to run into a elite defenses, you don't see a lot of like one drive, kick, wide open three. It doesn't happen because the elite defenses they tend to flatten that first drive a little bit, so it doesn't really break the defense down that much, and then they close out so well that often we talked about the idea of stacking drives. You need to stack drives against elite defenses, meaning like one guy attacks barely breaks down the defense, and the next guy attacks further breaks down the defense. Then the next guy attacks really breaks down the defense, and then maybe a fourth attack. Even if you get it early enough in the clock and you get an open look. That is going to be the strength of this Sixers team when they need to break down elite defenses. If they get the ball up early and they get multiple attacks and they trust each other, like I make this first move, I don't have a great look for myself, but I bet the defense just a little bit, keep it moving the next guy attacks. If they take advantage of their cumulative, their aggregate offensive skill by breaking defenses down, by stacking attacks, they're gonna be really, really difficult to guard when they get to the highest levels of the NBA Playoffs against the best defenses in the league. But again, if they walk the ball up and they get into just one two attacks in a possession and everyone else is standing around, now you're relegating guys like Jaylen Brown and Lebron James to being spot up shooters, and that's gonna lead to diminishing returns.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I haven't even talked about Joel Embid yet. I think he's gonna be in and out of the lineup a lot next year. So that's why kind of focusing on those four guys. But it's the same thing. If you want to get Joel Embiid the basketball, if you go to him early, like late in the clock, after you walk it up and he's backing a dude down with eleven to ten on the shot clock and everyone else is just spotting up, there's gonna be diminishing returns. You get it up early in the clock and you have opportunity to attack multiple times on the same possession. That's where it's so advantageous to have that many good basketball players on the floor at the same time. But again, there's a wide range of outcomes. There's a version of this story. I've talked about this a little bit with Jackson before we started recording. I think it's gonna remind me, remind us a little bit of the twenty eleven Miami Heat, where on some nights in this first season, it's gonna be like, holy shit, these dudes are insane. The talent level is off the charts. They're sharing the basketball, they're attacking early in the clock, they're breaking defenses down incrementally, and they just look impossible to guard. But then I think there's gonna be nights where you're like, oh, that's clunky. That's really really clunky. Today's show is brought to you by presenting sponsor hard Rock Bet Sportsbook. Some sports fan call this the slow period until football season, but on hard Rock Bet, we call it baseball season. There's a full slate almost every day for you to bet on your favorite teams and players, build epic same game parlays, and even live bet Every inning from the first pitch to the final out. However you like to play ball, hard Rock Bet has you covered. And if you think baseball is too slow, fake again. The average first inning lasts just seventeen minutes, making first inning bets one of the fastest and most exciting ways to get in on the action. Will there be a run or will it be a no run first inning? You can even parlay first inning bets for an even bigger potential payday. If you're ready to step into the batter's box, sign up with hard Rock Bet today and place a five dollars bet. If it wins, you get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets on top of your winnings. That's right, an extra one hundred and fifty dollars in your account. Plus, hard Rock Bet gives you new promos every single day. We're talking no sweat bets, profit boosts, bonus bets, and more. Open the hard Rock Bet app now and see what you've got today. And sure, hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. So download the hard Rock Bet app and swing for the fences today. Payble and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida and Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms of conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida called one eight three three play wise. In Indiana, if you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it in Arizona, Ohio and Virginia called one hundred My reset gambling problem called one hundred gambler in Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, or Tennessee. There's gonna be nights where guys take bad shots. Lebron's frustrated with shots selection Jalen Brown gets marginalized in a game because Maxium beat and Lebron take a bunch of shots. MAXI will have games where he's not super involved, Like I think there are gonna be games where it looks clunky and guys look frustrated, But that's part of the growth in the investment. If they this is where I think Lebron's leadership is gonna be key. If Lebron gets in there and all these guys sit down and they look at each other and they go, if we're gonna achieve our ultimate goal, we have to trust each other. We have to lean on each other, we have to to be greater than the s of our parts by making personal sacrifice, and they embrace that journey. Even though there will be bad nights, it'll have a happy ending because by the time they get through the eighty two games, by the time they get through multiple playoff series, they'll have a moment where they're like, Okay, we know how to do this now because we've made the investment, we've made the sacrifice, and now we're piecing this all together. One of the cool things about this too, like from the standpoint of getting through the eighty two when you have that many good basketball players, you can structure your lineups in a way where there's just always really good players on the court. So there can be units where it's like, Okay, Tyrese Maxi's off the floor, Anthony Simon's is in, or Justin Edwards is in, and you know, look and beads off the floor. Ariel huck Porti's in. And it's like you have Areal huck Porti and you have Anthony Simons or you of Justin Evers. But then you also have Lebron James and Jaln Brown on the floor, right or Lebron's off the floor, Jalen Brown's off the floor. We're leaning on old school Tyrese Maxi, Joel and and be two man game, right, Like, they're gonna have the ability to constantly have a lot of pressure on the defense because they have such a depth of shot creation talent. How many teams in the NBA have four all Star level, like the all Star level shot creation talents. How many teams in the NBA have four dudes that are like all NBA level talents that can create offense. Right, So that's gonna be where the uh, where the upside is there, but it is gonna be a wide range of outcomes as far as like the the the kind of like the bench groups as you as you look at the rest of the roster.
Speaker 2: So we have Dean Wade.
Speaker 1: I think Dean Wade is gonna start several games too, as Lebron James is dealing with, you know, health related issues throughout the year. That's like a guy who can legitimately start games. So like a sixth starter that I think is a nice piece from from Bob Meyer's helping this summer. Aaron hug Porty at the center rotation. The center rotation is a little tricky because Joel Embiid's gonna be in and out of the lineup obviously with health related stuff. Hug Porty at least is fast enough to be able to keep up in the open floor with these guys. Den Bona is a guy I actually like. You can block some shots, you can finish around the basket, but it's a little thin in the center rotation. So we'll talk about the trade market a little bit. I do wonder if the Sixers will be active in the trade market to acquire a little bit more center depth, especially speed at the center position. But at the guard position. It's weird because they're thinn right, you have VJ. Edgecomb, you have Tyrese Maxi. Anthrony Simons is your backup guard. LeBaron Filon will see how much he ends up playing as a as a rookie this year. It's a you're skinny and you're small, but you're lightning fast. That's a very very fast group. One of the things I like about that group I talked about this with if you guys remember Toronto last year. I like the idea of having like, oh, we have speed guards that if you have a slow person on the or we target the slow person and we're going at them every single time. But then we also have power players where it's like, okay, you try to match speed, we're targeting the smalls. Now that's the like when I imagine a lot of Tyree Maxey Lebron James two man game. Imagine a scenario where I need to have big, strong forwards on the floor that can hang with the Jlen Brown, that can hang with the Lebron James. But I also need speed on the floor that can hang with Tyree Maxy, that can hang with VJ.
Speaker 2: Edgecombe.
Speaker 1: Now those guys are on the floor simultaneously, how are they able to guard actions that interchange with those two groups. Well, if they switch, now Lebron can attack a size mismatch, Tyras Maxey can attack a speed mismatch. If they don't switch, that's where you get those natural openings, Like they're hedging and recovering. Now Tyres maxis slipping out and he's wide open for three on a little behind the back pass from Lebron or oh Lebron setting the screen they're showing at the level, Well, Naxi's able to throw a little pocket passer, a little thing over the top of Now Lebron's leading a four on three right, Like, that's the dynamic from this team that I think has the potential to make them really hard to guard. Going back to that idea being like greater than the some of your parts rather than lesser than the some of your parts. Getting multiple guys involved in actions is an easy way to do that, Right. If I'm just running a standard kind of pick and roll where I'm using a role player on one part of the action, you're just going to coalesce around the star and get them to get rid of the basketball. But if I have two stars involved in the action and they play very different possession of position groups. It makes the defense make some complicated decisions. Get into horn sets and three man action, whether it's stack or it's double drag or various things that you can run out of horns. Get three of your stars involved in the action. Now we're cooking with grease, right. You can imagine. You can imagine a situation where it's Tyrese Maxi in a horn set with Lebron James and joelmb or double drag with those two guys, it can just get really really difficult to guard. And so there's a lot of potential here, but there's also potential for it to be clunky, and that's going to be the job of these guys. It's going to be so important for them early in the season to get together talk about sacrifice, talk about their the journey that this season is going to take them through, and how difficult it's going to be at times as everyone's kind of stepping on.
Speaker 2: Each other's toes.
Speaker 1: But if they buy into that bigger picture, the potential is just off the charts. So looking at like just overall, how they stack up in the rest of the Eastern Conference, there's a lot of question marks right, So, like, for instance, I don't really know what to make it Indiana. I don't know how healthy Tyres Max is going to be. I don't know how much the difference between a Zubots and a Miles Turner is going to impact that team without having a traditional five out look like Miles Turner's ability to shoot was a big part of what made the Pacers good. We still don't know what's going on with Kawhi Leonard, whether or not he's going to be able to play next year at all, whether it'll be for the Clippers or it'll be for toront Now, like that hangs in the air to me, if I look at the East right now, I think, if I just assuming, for the sake of making this argument easier, I'm going to assume Kawhi Leonard is going to be a Raptor next year and he's going to be able to play. My initial impression is those three teams are your top, right, the New York Knicks, the Toronto Raptors, and the Philadelphia seventy six ers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think from there there's just too many question marks. The Celtics. Can Paul George stay healthy, Can Jason Tatum stay healthy. Is there center rotation good enough? Are they able to get enough dribble penetration? That was one of the biggest weaknesses of that team, right, So, like Boston had problems pressuring the rim, they end up losing their best rim pressuring player in Jalen Brown. But Boston has the ability to make trades, right, So Boston's kind of a question mark right now. Looking at Indiana, like we just said, question marks centering around whether or not they're able to make whether or not they're able to recapture some of that magic from two years ago. We can go down the line Charlotte, Like Charlotte's really deep with talent and tons of shooting, but they're light on shot creation talent, like guys that can break the defense down. So that's a big question mark. Miami, who the hell knows what's gonna go on with Giannis and Baham and their fit and whether or not they're able to accumulate enough ball handling talent. Are they gonna get tomarta Row's and are they gonna get Bradley beal Right, So once I get off those top three, it's a lot of question marks. As for that top three though, I think the Knicks and the Raptors are the most static in that group, meaning like I kind of know.
Speaker 2: What to expect.
Speaker 1: Like plugging Kawhi into Toronto is a very simple dynamic. He is going to be the guy that helps close his games with his shot making. He is a natural defensive fit alongside Scottie Barnes. They certainly don't have the amount of top end talent that Philly has, but Kawhi addresses some very specific needs and they impressed me so much in that Cavs series. I just think Toronto is a legitimate contender in that in that Eastern Conference at the top and then the Knicks, they really just won the championship.
Speaker 2: Did they get a.
Speaker 1: Favorable draw in their playoff path?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: But did I think they matched up really well with the Spurs and did I pick them to win that series?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: But I think we can't discount the fact that they have the continuity and they certainly have enough talent that they're going to be in the mix. But it's all about that ceiling versus floor dynamic. I do think the Sixers have, as currently constructed before any trades, a higher ceiling than any of those two teams in that tier, the Knicks or the Raptors.
Speaker 2: But I also think.
Speaker 1: They have a lower floor than the other teams in those tiers. So it's very much going to be an up in the air kind of season for Philly. As for how they stack up against San Antonio and Oka See, I don't feel comfortable putting them on that tier yet because of that volatility. You know how I said the Knicks are kind of like a known commodity to me. The Spurs and the Thunder are both known commodities as well. But I put them in that top tier of contenders in the league I think. I think okay See and San Antonio are kind of in a tier by their own. Now, do I think the Sixers ceiling is high enough to compete with okay See in San Antonio, Yes, I do. I do think their ceiling is that high. But I won't put them in that tier until I see them realize that ceiling in a more consistent way throughout the regular season, because I do think it'll be clunky. I do think there will be ups and downs. Again, another piece of this too, And this is the last thing we'll say, and we'll call it a day, and then we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk more tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But first of all, I want to credit Bob Myers. Bob Myers played this so well. I was talking with Jackson before we got going, Like the whole situation is fascinating to me because he very clearly is still very motivated to try to do this, but for whatever reason it didn't want to do it with Joe Lacob. That's a conversation for another day. We'll talk Warriors tomorrow, Like what the hell are the Warriors gonna do now? It is a sad story there in the Bay Area with the end of Steph Curry's prime, But clearly Bob Myers just wanted to do this still, but just not do it for Golden State. So he's building a team in Philly and then look at how active he was. He sees the opportunity to go after Jalen Brown. Everyone else in the league undervaluing Jalen Brown because they're listening too much to their analytics departments. Bob Myers jumps in there and makes a deal. Right, he gets on Rich Paul's podcast. He was the one guy who went on the podcast and was sitting there talking with them, right, So like he was actively hustling this situation, and again it was a complicated decision, Lebron said to himself and his tweets, so like someone needed to sell Lebron on this, and Bob Myers was the visionary, and he sat down and with he got with Lebron and he made a pitch and he won that race. And so credit credit to Bob Myers. But if you look a little deeper into it too, so like, so let's say, let's say things are clunky. Let's say that we get thirty games into the season and it's just super underwhelming. They're seventeen and thirteen. The offense looks like shit. Everyone looks kind of like, not necessarily unhappy, but let's just say frustrated. What's good about their situation is the Sixers have plenty of draft compensation to move around. They are well equipped to make trades to pivot in season if they need to. And if you look at these guys, all of them are easily tradeable assets outside of maybe Joel Embiid, But Joel Embiid puts you in the market of other high Like let's say you needed to trade Joel because he had another severe knee issue, Like you could attach draft compensation to him and go after larger salaries, liking Anthony Davis, who we know Lebron still wants to play with, right, Or let's say you want to make a smaller move that like tweaks, the fit better. All of these guys are are desirable, like VJ.
Speaker 2: Edge Comb.
Speaker 1: Every team would love to have VJ. Edgecomb, Jaylen Brown, I certainly think is a tradable asset Tyres MAXI tradeable asset Lebron James Right. So, like the whole point is is like this team is set up to pivot if they need to as well. I think they're gonna give it a good long runway. But you have the ability to make tweaks and to do what needs to be done to try to capitalize on this championship window. And again I always say, don't overthink it. There is a shit ton of talent here. Is it gonna be clunky at times?
Speaker 2: Yes? Is there a wide range of potential outcomes? Yes?
Speaker 1: Are there gonna be nights where we look at this and go what in the world was Lebron thinking? But there are also gonna be nights when we look at it and we go holy shit, because there's so much talent here. Don't overthink it. This is a ton of talent. This is one of our top contenders in the league this season, and I personally can't wait to see it again. I'm gonna sleep on it tonight, come up with as much additional kind of thoughts on some of the big picture ramifications of this. We'll talk about some of the other teams involved. We will have an episode tomorrow. That's all I have for today, though, guys, again, as always a sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting us and supporting the show, and I will see you tomorrow morning.