Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal Hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for a day?
Speaker 1: Edo steak?
Speaker 2: Is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And then and tie.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brandt. That fine gentleman over there in the heart of the Midwest, Chicago, Illinois. Dan Rubinstein, Sure yeah, need a health check. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Sinus watched twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Sinus Watch twenty twenty two. How we doing?
Speaker 1: I'm all right. I can't complain, Tye. There's a lot that's going on in the world that makes me feel extremely fortunate. And if the worst thing I have going is a little bit of a boo boo in my my sinuses, and right, yeah, a sinus boo boo. You know, I'm pumping the fluids. I'm trying to sleep, I'm trying to lay down. I'm gonna go get some soup for lunch. Uh. It's it's the off season, so we get to get weird, we get to get fun. So I do this for a living. I can't even begin to complain to.
Speaker 2: Me well, look, today we are going to pick up where we left off. Yeah, on the show we did earlier in this week, you had five questions for me and then a couple to try and make me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes, as you often do.
Speaker 2: I have five questions for you and then some that probably won't make you nearly as uncomfortable, but are intended to prod a little bit deeper.
Speaker 1: You you told me no pizza and no relationship questions, and that really kind of hurt that, really like you didn't want to steer into what I consider to be my wheelhouse as a non pizza rea owner and as a non licensed relationship expert. But that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the off sets some good college football question We're trying to broaden your horizons dance. We'll get into all that and much much more. We appreciate your support throughout this long, cold dolgrums of an off season, but it is starting to warm up various quadrants of the country. We appreciate you stuff and on by, don't forget to subscribe to the show. Listen the whole way through right in at Saliverboat gmail dot com. Let us know if you have any thoughts or feedback or questions, what have you things that we should cover as we progress here through the off season. We always welcome that feedback. Verballers dot Com, of course, is where you can find all of our bonus content that get access to this show, all of our shows a little bit early. We also video all of these shows, so not only can you hear Dan's gravelly voice, but you can also see the sites of fatherhood if you go to verballers dot com.
Speaker 1: Wait, see the sites of Fatherhood. I'm I'm wearing this exhaustion on my face, a little bit d in HD, just a little bit fair. That's okay, that's real, that's real. I mean at certain points we all wear our lives on our faces. And you had a mysterious day job that left you physically not your best, and so yeah, here we are. I'm I'm I've had better days physically, but I'm gonna I'm we're starting our strength training, our dual strength training together and maybe that's going to uh, that's gonna it's gonna really up our looks in ten ADP. If not four k ty, I'm willing to go four kay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've got the internet for four K, but I'm willing to try.
Speaker 1: Well, we can record it at it.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that last banally solid giveaway dot Com. We've got a new item up for the contest. It is an AJ brownstegned old Miss Minnie helmet. So I'll giveaway dot com a few quick and easy steps. That's all you need to go through to get your name in the hat. Oh lest I forget this show. All of our shows driven by our good friends over at Geico. Yes, we appreciate their support. Dan, all right, with all that out of the way, do you just want me to dive into my questions?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Is there any news you want to discuss? Adidas is apparently opening up the nil coffers. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: I saw the headline? What does that mean for us as college football fans?
Speaker 1: That means Adidas schools will have opportunities with their athletes across various sports to become essentially Adidas influencers. And I'm sure the bigger athletes with the bigger social followings, with the bigger public awareness Q ratings will be front and center. But nonetheless, Adidas huge company and going to proverbial bat for Adidas schools, So that was a reality. I think we're all prepared for. I know Nike has already jumped into things, especially with Oregon and NIL and set up I think it's called Division Street, which provides opportunity NIL opportunities, so sort of part for the course. I think we're going to see more companies jumping through it. I saw, you know, the Saint Peter's some guard for Saint Peter's, I think has a Buffalo Wild Wings deal after they upset Kentucky, which is really like to me, the spirit of things with NIL, where you know, all athletes that you know have a certain degree of visibility should be able to capitalize on that, but especially ones that sort of become overnight names, that are able to capitalize on moments on becoming sensations. And so yeah, it seems seems like a big win. And I'm sure we're going to get into it with some of your questions, but yeah, Adidas officially jumping into the fold.
Speaker 2: I saw that, Nico. I'm not even gonna try the last name.
Speaker 1: Yam a Lava, Yama Lava something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like I am a Leavin And indeed he did spurning the spurning some other programs that were associated with his recruitment and decides to go to Tennessee. Now, there was some scuttle butt about the trust whatever we're calling that, the trust, the collective, Yeah, that the collective, the eight million dollar potential sure for Nico, an unnamed Nico, I guess still unnamed Nico, but we all know it's him. Regardless of all, that a pretty big yet for Josh Hypel.
Speaker 1: Huge, humongous for Tennessee. And I assume, you know, the hope is to build around him with offensive linemen and receivers who are seeing the explosivity of Josh Hypel's system, you know, sending receivers deep, really going for playing with pace. It's an exciting brand of football, for sure. And that was just year one last year with a with a transfer quarterback and Hendon Hooker. So yeah, it's obvious that there is an interesting ceiling for Tennessee. The nil stuff. I'm not going to pretend like I understand the intricacies of the deal he signed. I'm sure that eight million figure is a best case scenario. Yeah, right, But I don't know if that's a market setting figure. I don't know how that figures to affect a big defensive tackle or a big corner or a big receiver or other SEC schools, SEC schools. It's going to be all over the place, but that it is an interesting parameter to the market for a five star quarterback, of which there are a couple of other big ones. Malachi Nelson's committed to USC and Arch Manning is the other big fish and he remains uncommitted, And I think about Georgia, Alabama, Texas appear to be the big players as of the time of recording in his recruitment. I won't pretend like I am fully up to date on the class of twenty twenty three, but in terms of where the market is, it's fascinating. It'll correct itself. Maybe it's low. Who knows, Maybe Nico will be a Heisman caliber quarterback and it'll prove he'll prove to be more of a fifteen million dollar type quarterback with how much he brings in and how much better recruiting classes are, with how much he gets Tennessee boosters excited about donating to the school and more enrollment into the school. There's all sorts of, you know, different tentacles to a successful football team within a university. So hoping for the best for him. Disappointed as an Oregon fan and maybe we'll get into Oregon a little bit later on. But appointed as an organ fan. And I can tell you this as a Duck fan, I could very easily say, psh, what does college football come to? Oregon lost out on a West Coast quarterback because of booster money. But if Oregon had secured him, my reaction would have been like, psh, it's college football in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Get with the program, everybody program? Yeah yeah, so.
Speaker 1: No, I I am nothing if not a fan of high level college football. Hopefully that comes across and a strong Tennessee would be a fun thing to watch given the style that they're going to be playing with.
Speaker 2: Two other items very quickly that I think warrant mentioning. I don't think we've discussed either. Yeah, Ulysses Bentley.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, where did he end up? What?
Speaker 2: Ole Miss?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He's going Ole Miss. So, in case you haven't been paying attention, Lane Kiffin has put together a nice little roster of transfers. Yeah, portal king, he's been the portal king. First it was Jackson Dart and Zach Evans. Now adding Ulysses Bentley the fourth to the equation, Yeah, is pretty damn interesting. Certainly they've got options in the backfield now, and yeah, just infinitely curious to see how Lane uses both those guys. It'd be very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the big story with Old Miss last year was the the direction of the defense is heading in because for all the points Ole Miss can and will certainly always score, given the talent on offense and on the offensive coaching staff, they don't want to be playing that Arkansas game every week. They don't want to be playing fifty three to fifty two every week. And so it's terrific that these guys are coming in because there's every reason to given how you'll be featured in that offense as a running back, as a receiver, quarterback, whatever. But yeah, it's it's the curiosity about the defense. They lose DJ Dirkin, right, he goes over to Texas A and M. So no, it'll it'll be fascinating because Lane Kiffin is somebody who will stay current with how to acquire players, how to build rosters. He is not going to follow the Dabbo model of this is the way I do things and this is how I'm going to do things moving forward, even though Dabbo has now talked about more flexibility in terms of roster construction.
Speaker 2: And last, but certainly not least, Emery Jones go into the portal, saw that. Yeah, it originally looked as if he were going to stay. Billy Napier encouraged him to stay, but ultimately Emory Jones decides he wants to go quote to a stable place that will welcome me, is excited to have me there and the right situation and fit. He told that to ESPN and a phone interview this past weekend. Speculation has been that ASU could be a landing spot for him, if only because there was a sudden following of Emory Jones on social media by some at ASU. There were some other schools that also followed, dude. I think Rice and Arkansas State North Texas smaller programs by comparison to ASU. But Emory Jones is a kid who's played for Florida. I don't know if he's quite lived up to the hype that he brought with them when was originally flipped by Dan Mullen. Ye'll come down to Gainesville. But nonetheless still a name out there, you'd have to think, if you're ASU, it's appealing, if only because they're so damn finnick quarterback, You'll take whatever you can get.
Speaker 1: M h. Yeah, And of course BILLI and Napier had his own history at ASU, one of the places that helped to jump start his career, so interesting connection there. Also saw JT. Daniels still out there. I think both Emery Jones and JT. Daniels were in a similar situation where they wanted to graduate first. They just they had a limited number of credits left and so they wanted to finish out the winter semester. So JT. Daniels down to at the least time of recording, West Virginia, Oregon State and MISSOI I don't know if you have that in front of you, all interesting fits. Of course, Johnathan Smith has done a very good job with quarterbacks. West Virginia certainly certainly in need of better quarterback play. I know they've got a freshman they're pretty high on, but in terms of experience and upside, JT. Daniels certainly brings that. Miszoo obviously losing Connor bayslack to I believe Indiana God, you gotta keep track of a lot in twenty twenty two. But they themselves have intriguing, young, unproven quarterbacks in the future, so a year of JT. Daniels postgraduate might not be the worst thing for Miszoo, especially with how they've been building things out on offense. They just landed what the number one or two receiver in the country and Luther Burden in this last class, so two pretty big names out there looking to certainly improve what a quarterback room looks like at a number of places.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Dan, shall we dive into questions?
Speaker 1: I'm ready, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's dive in. I dusted off that sound. I finally got my sounds ready to go here. I am excited. These are thank you. These are five questions that I've had on my mind that I've been wanting to ask you. I jotted them down. Yeah, but I haven't been able to. There's been a lot to talk about it as a lot going on. Sure, so we're gonna take this week. It's for us. It's our time, Dan, question number one College football in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty two. Yeah, would you agree that it feels a little bit different than it has in the past.
Speaker 1: Uh, it feels uniquely different. Sure, I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna say, just agree with me. I'm going somewhere with this.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm with you. Yes, it feels different.
Speaker 2: We have nil we have we just read off news about the transfer portal.
Speaker 1: It's still going.
Speaker 2: We have coaching changes. Conference realignment felt like an eternity ago Texas and Oklahoma and then the Big Twelve. It's like a whole thing. It's going on out there. And you know what that means. You've been around the media game for quite some time. That means hot takes. Yeah, I means hot takes oftentimes very bad opinions out there floating around the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And by the way, one thing you forgot is just the availability of games. That games are so much more available in a more complicated way, sometimes with streaming, oh ye, with announcers bouncing all over now too, and so there's a lack of familiarity and yeah, and that's affecting things in terms of realignment and TV deals and yeah, it's all over the place that there is a certain amount of commercialization and millions upon millions, if not gotting into the billions of dollars in the sport that you know it. It brings about opinions.
Speaker 2: Let's say I want to know which popular opinion? Yeah, which hot take that you Dan Rubinstein mostly believes. Is BS something that you're tired of hearing? It seems to have gone somewhat mainstream. Right, you're not buying it, you're not into it, And you can't answer the playoff. You can't answer the playoff because everybody knows where you stand on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's fine. What do you think? So you're asking me? Given the state of things, people's hot takes are all over the place with college football? Which hot take? And I'm a big proponent of naming names. I don't know if you have any names that you want to throw out who takes? No, I don't necessarily have. I think there's a lot of smart people who are Again, I don't have the names I wish I did. I'm a fan of naming names. But there appears to be a sentiment. There appears to be a sentiment of college football is not ruined. Like I'm gonna zag with this, right, there's like a fan sentiment that all of this nil and transfer portal is ruining college football. And then there's pushback from writers that it's essentially this. Everybody always cries wolf, everybody always says something's going to ruin college football. But college football has always been changing. College football always has new quirks and wrinkles and movement across the sport, and you're still going to watch. My pushback is the fear of fans is warranted. So this is sort of a backlash to the backlash. I don't even know what I'm doing right here. I am saying I think we should be taking not the people who are crying wolf, not the people who are saying the sport is being ruined. What I'm saying is there are people for which nil for which the over commercialization, for which the transfer portal, with players moving all over the place, coaches moving all over the place, that this is a tipping point for some people. I still think they're going to watch people who are turned off by the realities of college football. I think there are going to be people, a not insignificant percentage of people. Also, you could add in like the dominance by a very small select group within the sport that brings about hot takes, not even necessarily with the playoff, just be like college football sort of the same thing every year, right, it's Alabama against too LSU against Clemson against Ohio State, whatever. So people push back with that. I think fans who are raising these concerns about the changes being too dramatic to the sport, I think there's something to it. I don't think college football is bulletproof. I think football as a sport is in a pretty good place in terms of fan interest, but that's mostly because of the NFL. I don't care about TV ratings. I don't really care about attendance. There's all sorts of metrics that you can use. I'm saying it would be foolish to ignore people raising these concerns right now, and I think a lot of writers are ignoring these concerns. I think a lot of writers are saying players have played for free and haven't been able to monetize and haven't been able to do this, or that players haven't had the freedom of movement, and whether right or wrong, I think people that are raising these concerns, fans of whatever team, fans of big teams, small teams, whatever, I think they should be listened to. I think there is something about the sport and We've talked about this before, and I know I keep cutting you off as you begin to talk. No, it's fine. There's something about the sport that has become regularly anti fan, which I think is a problem. And I think the thing that we've talked about before is college football in two thousand and five was pretty difficult to follow. In twenty twenty two, you have to be dedicated to following the sport and the intricacies of movement, both of teams, coaches, players, what nil deals mean or don't mean, and all of the legislation around the sport. You need to stay current with it or you will be left behind. And that's kind of an anti mainstream fan sentiment, which I don't think is the healthiest thing for the sport. I don't know what it means. I just don't think college football is especially pro fan.
Speaker 2: It means you should go to solid verbal dot com. Click the subscribe link we do for episodes per week all throughout the off season. YadA, YadA, YadA. Yeah right. I also don't think it's a binary choice.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: And I feel like, oftentimes I'll stick with you on this point, oftentimes raising concerns unintentionally puts you on the side of being anti something. Sure, right, fans have concerns about Nil. Maybe you're an Akron fan.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We just mentioned a few minutes ago. Iye, you're an Akron fan, and maybe NIL. All this stuff coming out the transfer portal that scares the crap out of you, because not only can some of those players potentially be siphoned away from your program b Lord by other programs in the area that might have some moerey to throw, but also if you do get to the stage where you, let's say, develop a legitimate pro prospect at defensive end or running back or wide receiver or quarterback, now suddenly there's an immediate market elsewhere at a bigger place for their services. Understand that fans perspective, though, I think those concerns does not necessarily mean the fan is anti change. It just means that they're got real concerns, and.
Speaker 1: I hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't like labeling folks as being anti when they bring up valid.
Speaker 1: Points That said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess the counter argument would be, there's so much money in this damn thing, we don't really care what you think it's going to change whether you like it or not. And so that may also emphasize the second part of your point about college football becoming a little bit more anti fan.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I just and look, there is no college football. There is no entity making decisions. That's not the NC DOUBLEA, it's not the College Football Playoff. It's just the idea of the sport as a whole has gotten further and further away from making it easy to consume. And so that's again Soliverble dot com. Please do subscribe and follow and do whatever you need to do on your subscribe your subscription service. But I think there is that sentiment among writers, whether they work for ESPN or the athletic or sports illustrator whatever, that like, players finally have a voice, and they can finally have the ability to make money, and they finally have an ability to move around. I don't disagree with the upside of any of that. But again, it's not amazing for the sport as a whole to have year by year dramatic movement across the sport because college football is the size of a professional sport but does not have similar contracts and representation as the NFL, as the NBA, as the NHL as Major League Baseball, and so there is a structure, unfair as it may be to a lot of those sports, there is an understood structure to how and when players and not coaches, but players can move around. And so this is all so very new that a lot of writers. Again, whether it's Andy Stables, Nicole Hourback or Ari Wassmer, any of these people, I don't know, but there is that sentiment that says, relax, you're still gonna watch football. And I don't know if that's true. I don't know if that's overwhelmingly true, because people are kind of sick of trying and sick of being told the college football playoff or recruiting is the most important thing, and that there nine to three season of the seven and five season. They should just be happy with that and then see their star linebacker transfer to a bigger school and see their star quarterback transfer. Look, both of our schools have been the beneficiaries. You're both of our quarterbacks. Our team's quarterbacks were transfers from other schools. Oregon bigger than Boston College. Of course, the biggest Oregon transfer quarterback in recent in recent history came from Eastern Washington. But it's a reality that is not super appealing to the masses to me from what I can tell, and so don't know how you fix it. But that's the take of everything will be fine, You'll still watch football.
Speaker 2: It's the meme of the dog in the burning house. Maybe not that drastic, but right, I think that's what you're pointing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's more important to listen to fans, reasonable smart fans, raising these concerns than where we collectively as people who cover the sport do.
Speaker 2: I will tell you, you know, just through the off season and through some of the stuff that I've been reading to keep myself current on college football, the one point that I think is emphasized and re emphasized, and if ever there were any doubt, you shouldn't because college football is just built a little bit differently. Right, The power of the rivalry in college football. Yeah, the power of the rivalry in college football is still the engine that makes this whole thing go. Sure, and you know, whether it's a Texas and Texas, A and m thing or Pitt and Penn State, or you know, I don't know. There are plenty of rivalries that have fallen by the wayside over the years. You know, I hope whatever we do that that is committed to memory because we didn't lose that. We just can't lose that aspect of college football. It really is what makes it unique and special.
Speaker 1: It's even the second tier rivalries too, right, It's it's there's a shared history between Mississippi State and Florida, between Oregon and Washington State, between Michigan State Penn State, which is let's what the Langrand Trophy, that is a true rivalry game sort of there is. There's that even Notre Dame Stanford when Stanford's good, there's that shared history of like, oh man, remember that game three years ago that was wild. I remember Christian McCaffrey went wild running. Like there is something about even those second tier rivalries that we lose it.
Speaker 2: I'm with you one hundred percent on that, and you know, on prope playoff, but I will say you know that that is the guts of college football. That is what makes this special. Any fan who tells you differently doesn't know what they're talking about. The rivalries are ultimately what power this thing. So all right, yeah, let's get to question numeroal dos.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: You got into this business on your own free will, Dan, That's true. Happily you sent out tapes, you hustled. You eventually became the SI tour guy m SI being Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and seven, eight nine. And I did it independently in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went around to a bunch of different college football stadiums.
Speaker 1: Wasn't just college.
Speaker 2: Football, you did other events too, But yep, you know, college football is really where it started for you, and you had the privilege of going to a bunch of the pre eminent college football cathedrals, let's say true around our great nation. So much talk on this show many other shows, is what's the best stadium you've ever been to? What's the coolest game day environment? Oh, it's the grove, it's the it's state college. What's the worst game day experience?
Speaker 1: Just bathing in the jacuzzi of negativity here, Tyhu, you just listen.
Speaker 2: You've had a two month sinus infection at this point.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: If we went a little darker, we're trying to vibe with you.
Speaker 1: Just work with me. Okay, So I'll say this. When you say stadium, you want to say in game, like within the stadium or the overall experience, because the SI Tour Guide show was built around tailgating and culture around game day, not just how it is inside of a stadium.
Speaker 2: You can you can answer this however you want, Okay, however you want, I'll take either or both, Okay.
Speaker 1: So there are a number of factors here, right, There's like how fun was it to tailgate? How fun was it to spend time in this college town, which I didn't get to do all the time, because there are certain like even South Bend, and like flew because I was living in La flew into Chicago, drove to South Bend for the game, drove back to Chicago, And so I didn't stay overnight in South Bend, and I didn't stay overnight in a lot of places just because of flying. In travel convenience, the most inconvenient travel to get to a game was is clear to me, and that's Penn State. Penn State was the absolute worst place to get to from Los Angeles because basically I did want to take connecting flights, so I had to fly to Pittsburgh or Philly. Flew to Pittsburgh and drove the most miserable stretch of a state I've ever driven. And this is nothing to do with the people of Western PA or Central Pa or what the cities, the towns, whatever. It's just dark and miserable and not wide lan like. It's just a miserable travel experience to drive to and from I guess from Pittsburgh to State College and back. That was awful. Beaver Stadium was quite fun. There was a wide variety of persons outside, like I don't know if you tailgate on the cow pastures. I don't know what that situation is in State College, but State College probably had or that specific tailgate probably had the widest variance in these people are awesome and these people are terrible and I want to get away from them. And the only other place that I had that sort of dramatic variance in fans whor I was like, these people are great, I'm so glad I came across them tailgating, and I need to get away from these humans as quickly as humanly possible. Was Tennessee. Really Now, I went to a Tennessee Florida game, and I got to go to Niland and I was on the field and I got to see I think it was a checkerboard game of some kind. It was incredible. The experience inside Beaver Stadium at Penn State and the experience inside Neeland were both terrific. But those are the places with the widest variants of fans where I'm like, these people are horrific and I want to get away. I assume you can empathize a little bit with that. Penn State's an enormous school, so of course you're going to get people that rub you that way, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's sort of a perfect cross section between Philly fans and Pittsburgh fans. There's a pretty heavy New York influences.
Speaker 1: Well I would say New York, New Jersey probably, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, it's it's understandable, to say the least.
Speaker 1: So that's more travel and fans I was. There are places that I was definitely surprised by how much I liked the stadium experience, Like I went into it probably too negatively. Like I had a really good time at Iowa and Iowa City. The tailgate wasn't anything special. I'll tell you the most the two most disappointing places, and it's the context is important here. The two most disappointing places were probably Clemson in West Virginia. I had a great time in the tailgates at Clemson in West Virginia, but the games themselves, I had heard so much about Death Valley and they're running, you know, the Robin Howard's rock and running down the hill and all that stuff. Clemson, I want to say two thousand and eight, and this may have just been the tail end of Tommy Bowden or he was already fired and Dabble was the interim. They played Maryland, maybe Danny O'Brien Maryland in two thousand and eight, and it was just not a great game. It was an early kickoff and it was just the energy was not all that great. And Clemson's not an especially easy place to get to from LA. But that's a me thing that doesn't matter for you know, Clemson as a whole. But this was Clemson before it was Clemson. I didn't have an amazing time. I really liked hanging out in the town of Clemson in the tailgate and West Virginia was another early kick had a great time with Mountaineer fans. Drank like moonshine at nine forty four am or something like that it was a big East game against Rutgers. And this is probably eight, so I think Pat White was still there. Pat McAfee was still there. And it was like a very ho hum like twenty four seventeen, twenty seven to seventeen game, and it was early. The crowd wasn't especially into it. I almost fell asleep in the press box again a me thing, but I came away. Look, if I had gone to that, the the Honey Badger LSU West Virginia game that was like a yellow out, if you remember, I would have had a stellar time at West Virginia. This was just the choice of game I went to, though, so this is more on me than it is on West Virginia, more on Clemson. But those were those were two memories where I'm like, early kick, not a lot of energy, not a lot of juice. I don't know, not into it. Every school has them, that's just those are the games that I happened to go to. I at Penn State, I went to a big game that was a Notre Dame Jimmy classon game. That was what that was how we met correct. And then the Tennessee game was a Florida game. It was a t bow game, so that was it was. There was a lot of energy, a lot of juice in those stadiums, but that was that was the fan variants. Texas A and M was actually a little bit disappointing, but it was another one of those matchups. But Texas A and M had Chick fil A in the press box, so that goes a long way. That goes a long way. But I I didn't spend that much time in college station. I flew in and out of Houston. Oregon State didn't do a lot for me. It was a fun game because I got to go see an Oregon Oregon State game Platypus Cup, win the platte But Corvallis fine, But you know, didn't I stayed outside, like in the Salem area, so I didn't really spend that much time, uh in a in Corvallis. But yeah, there are just some places out there, like you go to the Rose Bowl. There's not much juice in the Rose Bowl for an average UCLA game, so that, yeah, to me, it was There were definitely places where the games weren't that big, but you could tell this was a fully dedicated operation by the fan base, by the school right to blowing it out like LSU was LSU South Carolina. It was an inconsequential game. It was rainy, it was an incredible experience, and so there were places like that. You know, Washington had that. Washington was very energetic in a place that I suggest a lot of people try and get to. If you're if you're hopping around the country going to college football games, yeah, that's I think the best. I went to a big o'hig state game which was very fun at the shoe. I think it was Ohio State Penn State. Even though was pretty low scoring, that was great. It was just a great time. Yeah, in the big ten, I would just suggest that people go to Camp Randall when you ask me, I'm gonna try to end this on a more positive note. But yeah, there are there are those sort of juiceless places. But I'm sure it has more to do with my selection of game than the place itself. Next question, Dan, all right, was that an acceptable answer to you?
Speaker 2: Of course? Okay, of course it's our damn show.
Speaker 1: Okay, do whatever we want. Your question again, I want to make sure I hit him.
Speaker 2: Oregon is seventy six in Bill Connolly's Returning Production index. Now, yeah, it doesn't mean everything, but it's a guide. I think it is especially important to note Oregon because not only are they losing a lot offense, especially, but they also lost Mary Crystobaal who goes to Miami, and they're employing a first time head coach and Dan Lanning who doesn't really have have a ton of familiarity with the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 1: West Coast pac twelve. You're correct. Yeah, he was at ASU briefly when he was very young. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you take all those factors into consideration. I think you also got a factor in a schedule that to me looks kind of tricky. Sure, not the least of which is Labor Day weekend when they're.
Speaker 1: Wait, does it? I feel like, well, it's not to take a look at it.
Speaker 2: If you take a look at it, it is certainly not the hardest schedule that they could play. But I think that first month of action will be very trying. Sure, because anytime you open up with Georgia, they got a BYU team that brings a lot back by you should be pretty good. Again. Yeah, Eastern Washington, They've got a game later in the year, I believe against Utah, that's at home. But it's like there are you could find land mines in that schedule. So I have to ask the question here in your mind. I don't know how closely you've paid attention to it. It is late March. Based on what you know now, what is the range of possible outcomes for this Oregon team going into next season? And furthermore, oh, which of those outcomes or which possible thing that could happen would actually leave you concerned about Dan Lanninger whether he can do the job at organ.
Speaker 1: There's very little that he could or couldn't do in year one that will have me worried unless there is a locker room abandonment issue that he is not the grown up in the room. And it's becoming clear right away that to me would be the only thing in year one be like, oh man, he can't handle coaching a major program as a head coach. The variety of outcomes hinges on what I assume to be Bo Nicks and whatever the ratio of good Bow to bad Bo is. I don't know what it was at Auburn. Auburn fans can certainly weigh in that it was like a forty sixty experience, a thirty to seventy experience, certainly with the way he finished his career. There, you know, the Texas A and M game. He made some plays, but they didn't score a touchdown. I did score, they didn't get into the end zone. So it was arguably his worst statistical performance of his career, and it was his second to last game, his penultimate game at Auburn. But three of those four games how he finished his Auburn career were pretty promising. The Old miss game, the Arkansas game, and at least the first half of that Mississippi State game. So if Oregon gets seventy thirty good bow to bad Bo, that's an outcome in which Oregon with a very experienced offensive line, promising receivers, a good but thin running back room Byron Cardwell's a new full time guy with Travis Steim moving to USC and CJ. Verdella entering the draft. Defensively, the lines in a decent place. Linebacker has those two five stars. Secondaries a little bit thin, but they brought in at least a transfer at corner. They were hit by the portal a little bit. They lost a key corner, a rotation defensive lineman. They lost guys in the portal. The big thing to me is going to be I think the schedule is fantastic. The Georgia game, who cares whatever, it's game one, it's on the road, it's playing in Atlanta, but they're road games within the PAC twelve at Wazoo new full time head coach and Jake Tickert. At Arizona, which still has a long ways to go, but improving, At Cal which has not had an offense and has not really been anything beyond a vague Bowl threat. At Colorado, which is trending in the wrong direction. And at Oregon State, which is feisty but shouldn't be deep enough or talented enough to beat Oregon. Now they do have Utah and Washington in it looks like consecutive weeks. They have Ucla after a bye week, but that's it's in Eugene. I don't know. I think the schedule's fun.
Speaker 2: It's a good home schedule. It's a good home schedule.
Speaker 1: It's a really good road home split.
Speaker 2: You know, you could definitely make the case that Utah is going to be loaded again. They'll be decent. Maybe Ucla gets better. I don't know. Right, I think Stanford has to get better. You would think they have to get better. I don't know, right. So you know, as we've seen time and again with some of these PAC twelve schedules, sometimes it's the games you don't know, the games that don't jump out at you in March, that are the ones that end up taking you down.
Speaker 1: The problem for me with Oregon and I think there is a lot of upside because I still think they're more talented than anybody on their schedule. So that's a good place to start on their Pack twelve schedule. Excuse me, not more talented than Georgia first time head coach, first time full play calling, offensive coordinator, and quarterback transfer. Which we use the word cocktail last episode about rivalry games, and you know, the spiciest, most balanced cocktails. It doesn't feel like an especially promising cocktail because there's so much unknown. What is the vision Dan Lanning has for his offense? What is the vision Kenny Dillingham has for his offense? After spending time with both cosmels On and Mike Norvell, and I am just never a huge fan in having to talk yourself into a QB. Now there have been guys who have gone from fine to really good or after thought to surprisingly good after two three years of playing or being a backup and not being able to crack a starting lineup. You look at like what Will Levis did at Kentucky. He transfers to Kentucky they need a quarterback post Terry Wilson. Expectations. The bar wasn't set particularly high with Terry Wilson. I think it was Eddie Grant was the offensive coordinator at Kentucky. They just sort of handed the ball off a lot, and Liam Conan will Levis fully and completely soared past all expectations. Last year Kentucky went ten and three.
Speaker 2: Will Levis said, like you could not have imagined Will Levis. I think he was sixty six percent right.
Speaker 1: And you know, Wandelle Robinson comes in like that was a surprise that you had to talk yourself into. Will Levis and Liam Cohen succeeding together and they exceeded expectations, and that happens like I would imagine Pitt fans were fine with Kenny Pickett heading into last year, like he's experienced, He's a calming influence, he knows the system, he's comfortable in the ACC. He's one of the best quarterbacks in the ACC. Completely exceeds expectations last year. Right, So there are those situations. The problem is those seem to be exceptions to the rule when you have to talk yourself into a quarterback of like, oh well, maybe it's a fresh start. Oh well, maybe he looks like he did at the end of his career. Oh well, maybe he just needs the you know, the lack of pressure at all in that voice specifically. Yeah, that's a problem to me if you're talking yourself into a quarterback with his known flaws and what they're up against in terms of the unknown. I don't know. I think the best case scenario for Oregon is they lose to they lose to Georgia, and they lose to Utah and they're able to sneak out the rest of their schedule go ten and two because bo Nicks has decent enough command and he's not the reason they lose games, not necessarily the reason they win games, but he does enough to so that every Oregon fan and every college football fan watched their games and says, prey solid ten two way one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think the PAC twelve is in a place, right now, and I'm terribly concerned about the quarterback room moving forward. The thing that would actually concern me. You asked about what would be concerning about Dan Lanning in year one? What does he do at quarterback for the future? Right now, Oregon has three former blue chip quarterbacks in that room, Bonix, Jay Butterfield, and Ty Thompson. You would be hard pressed to find an Oregon fan confident in the position moving forward. Now, Oregon's major target in this current recruiting cycle, as we mentioned, is going to Tennessee. At least that's what we figure is going to happen. He's going to end up at Tennessee. There are other interesting quarterback prospects on the West Coast. I don't follow it particularly closely. If Dan Lanning fully strikes out in terms of bringing in an interesting, high ceiling type quarterback in this class and has to depend on the portal once again, I mean, who do we suspect is going to be out there? We could talk about, you know, Miller Moss and Hudson Cart and all these guys that are you know, former blue chip guys who are sitting on the bench. But if he is not able to secure a quarterback of the future in this class, I wouldn't be concerned, but I'd file it away thinking huh huh, because I know you need time to build up those relationships as a head coach and your offensive coordinator, and nobody knows what Oregon system is going to be, so that's more difficult for quarterbacks to know. Like, you have an idea of what Tommy Reese is gonna do at Notre Dame with a new full time head coach, You have an idea at Brian Kelly and like, what's his name? Who's the offensive coordinator for LSU Denbrock, Denbrock, I was thinking to bored, Mike Denbrock, you have an ideal, you know what Billion Apier's probably gonna do ish at Florida. Oregon's the mystery there, and so they have work to do in explaining and showing future quarterbacks what Oregon's offense is going to be. So that would be the concern to me near one that that Dan Lanning does not lock in a promising quarterback of the future.
Speaker 2: That was a very thoughtful answer, Dan, Thank you, Thank you toy for sharing that with me.
Speaker 1: Let's move on and if you fast forwarded past all of my Oregon gibberish. Welcome back, Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Question four. Yeah, gonna begin the part of this episode where we start to take you a little bit out of your comfort zone. Yeah, rank your top five players in the upcoming NFL draft.
Speaker 1: To find top five like who I think should go one through five or my five favorite players who are mocked to be first round ish.
Speaker 2: I don't think either you or I are qualified to actually do the mock draft thing.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: I'm not asking that question from that perspective. I am essentially saying, yes, of the guys who are projected to go highly in next month's draft, sure, give me your top five, top five guys that you saw him in college. And like a lot of us are convinced every year when you know, somebody drops a little to Patrick Mahomes or whoever, I mean, he didn't drop very far, but Aaron Rodgers. Guys who we see in college, we know they're going to be good in the pros. But you know who kind of fits that bill as we go into the draft.
Speaker 1: It's pretty straightforward to me, both of the inside linebackers who are mocked to be first round guys, and maybe there are more than two, but Devin Lloyd and n Kobe Dean were absolute joys to watch as they destroyed the hopes and dreams of offenses that Utah and Georgia faced. Love Evan Neil. Love somebody that is that athletic at that size. I don't know if you saw what Evan Neil looks like with like just underwear on, just you know, his combine pant. No, I'm telling you, like physically, there is something that is so terrifying about somebody who is I don't know what his current measurement is, like.
Speaker 2: Six seven, three thirty seven. I can tell you there is definitely a moment in time in the not too distant past where a six to seven linebacker with his shirt off kind of looks like a blob.
Speaker 1: You mean you mean linemen lineman?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, yeah, yeah, Evan Neil. Evan Neil looks like you play in the NBA. Yes, I mean he's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is something so impressive about just being a big dude and opping a fat dude with carrying all that weight and that's that's three thirty five or whatever that he's down to from I think what he played at which was close to like three sixty. I think during the season Aaron Donald was that way too. We're like, oh, he's three hundre pounds these two hundred ninety punds whatever he is. He's like, he's two hundred ninety pounds of must soul of good mass. And so guys like that are so impressive to me that they're able to perform athletically the way that they are and build themselves up to that point. So Evan Neil is there, Both of those linebackers are there. Drake London. I just feel so bad for Drake London was completely and fully unstoppable, made essentially what amounted to a bad decision to go to USC because of how everything turned out at USC, and was just not playing in consequential games for the most part. And so I just am hopeful for him that he's healthy and ends up somewhere where he can immediately impact winning because I just feel bad because he was unstoppable. Everybody knew the ball was going to him, didn't matter. Drake London and probably Kaveon Thibodeau just because I'm a dumb Oregon homer. Caveon Thibodeau was beat up for a good chunk of last year, didn't even play in that Ohio State win. So I'm hopeful for him and for Oregon, and that's something that you know, Oregon can recruit around, not just his success in college, but his success and getting drafted highly and going to the pros. Because Oregon has had, like, very quietly, a good amount of success at defensive line in the draft recently with Eric Armstead and DeForest Buckner. So I'm hopeful that that Kveon Thibodeau keeps that going. There's other guys I like, I don't. I'm not a huge fan of drafting running backs and receivers generally speaking, in the first round. I think the focus should be on lineman quarterback. I see a lot of people seem to love, you know, Mina Kimes loves Malik Willis and hopes that he ends up with the Seahawks. I hope it works out for him too. Uh. He just seems like a very fun player and hopefully has a good NFL career. I hope it. You know, Kenny Pickett and his tiny hands, I hope that works out for him.
Speaker 2: I don't really like it. I mean, I like, but yeah, in terms of draft ability. For whatever it's worth coming from me, I don't really like any of the quarterbacks this year.
Speaker 1: I just I'm a corral Yeah, Sam Howell.
Speaker 2: No, I'm good. I'm good. If my team needs a quarterback, I say, take something else. My team does need a quarterback desperately, We're stuck with Daniel Jones. I think for it.
Speaker 1: So you just want Jimmy Garoppolo. Is that what you're looking for?
Speaker 2: No, just take lineman. It's a deep lineman draft. There are a lot of good linemen.
Speaker 1: Take lineman the guy from Mississippi State, NC State.
Speaker 2: Take defenders like build from the lines out and actually build the team right. But don't I don't know, I don't. I don't want any of these quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Who else you're gonna miss other than Kyle Hamilton who's projected to be.
Speaker 2: Like Kyle Hamilton? Is my answer? He might be my one through three. I love me some Kyle Hamilton. Some other names that I think jump out to me. Yes, and kind of going through the sex well, I mean you mentioned Devin Lloyd, n Kobe Dean, yep, I you know he kind of took those from me. I would also throw out as just like another name that I feel badly for, David o'jabo hurt his leg.
Speaker 1: I saw that in Michigan opposite, which sucks. You know that that sucks so bad, like it's Achilles something. Yeah, super serious, right, super serious.
Speaker 2: Although they're saying a six month recovery, which apparently they can do that now in six months. But David o'jabo, I think, is a name that you know, I want to succeed. Aiden Hutchinson. I don't know if you mentioned him, but Aiden Hutchinson, with the impact that he had, maybe not so much in the playoffs, but certainly throughout the course of the season and his college career at Michigan, is another guy that's really easy to root for, as is George carl Loftis. George carloftis like sort of came out of nowhere in a sense. It was very dominant.
Speaker 1: I think he was hurt his sophomore year, I want to say, and bounce back in a big way. Yeah, he bounced back to a big way, damn.
Speaker 2: But it's not like there was a ton of preseason steam. George carl loftis the way there was on Kaevon Thibodeau, right, right totally. The season that he had definitely opened some eyes. So yeah, I'd probably throw those three guys out there. Hutchinson, carloftis so jabo in addition to Hamilton, and if I'm going to throw one other guy on there, I'll go to corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was gonna be my bonus. Jonas continue.
Speaker 2: I know everybody's in on Sauce Gardner, and I get that he's got great size, He's super as a cover corner.
Speaker 1: Remember when Notre Dame decided to throw it at him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I do, I do. I was gonna say extingly though, And he's a guy who also was battling injury. He's a guy who I remember when he came out of high school, many folks in the recruiting world were saying, much like they did with Adrian Peterson, if you want to go pro now, somebody would take him and he could probably play at that level. So, you know, been a bit of a mixed bag at LSU. No one doubts the talent, and I'm curious to see what he can do at the next level, and I'm rooting for him. So with your five off the board, those are my next five.
Speaker 1: Done all right.
Speaker 2: Final football question, Daniel hey May, what is your analysis of the purported Joe Buck for the Penn State Purdue game trade that went down apparently between ESPN and Purdue. So like, there's a Fox, ESPN and Fox. What did I say, Yeah, Purdue? No, like definitely different ESPN and Fox. In case you have not been keeping yourself up to date with what's going on in the sports media world, Joe baka Troy ak beIN leaving Fox going over to ESPA to do Monday Night football big deal in sports media circles. But as part of that move to bring Joe Buck over to ESPN from Fox, it's been reported that there was a trade. That there was a trade. This requires some understanding of how games get allotted and how games get assigned out to different networks throughout the course of a given week. I'm not going to go into all of that.
Speaker 1: There's a draft. I believe it's a draft. Yeah, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Kind of cool. I didn't know about it until I read about this, but yeah, it's like a whole a whole thing that they built in so that the networks can pick off the games that makes sense to them. But as part of that. Apparently the game that was traded to Fox from ESPN as part of this Joe Buck acquisition. I guess we can say, yeah, was Penn State Purdue.
Speaker 1: What do you think I think I would watch it regardless Joe Bucker the game, the game, so Aidan O'Connell's back, right, He's back Aiden O'Connell. So he went to the same high school as Jody with an eye, So I've got a soft spot there. He's sting. This receiving room is not going to be as good this year without David Bell.
Speaker 2: It also got Brady Allen, who they're bringing in.
Speaker 1: I am I am thinking for the money, ESPN probably got the better of the deal because Monday night football is such a good cornerstone franchise, broadcast franchise. But I guess I'm happy for Fox that they got Penn State Perdue. I don't know, like it just kind of seems like, given where these teams are right now, it's kind of like a B game like this. This was not a because the original rumor was what Penn State, Ohio State something like that. Now, Notre Dame, Ohio State, notme Ohio State. Right to open up the year, and that I think Burke Magnus, who runs things for ESPN, came out and denied that specific story. Was al Michaels not traded at a certain point Oswald the Rabbits during his Disney because he was at ABC and then went to NBC, And so this is this is not the first trade that you know asset to be named later. So Oswald the Rabbit I think was an original property of Disney that perhaps I think Universal had ownership over and Disney wanted him back. So Oswald the Rabbit is now back in the Disney archive. I believe I got that story right. I like it. The fascinating thing to me is just more broadly speaking with the broadcast movement, is Thursday Night is now Amazon? Correct? Correct, Thursday Night NFL is now Amazon. The college tie in is Kirk herb Street is calling that game with al Michaels. Right.
Speaker 2: Was al Michaels announced as the I believe so I think Kirkhurbstreet tweeted it out or instagrammed it out that al Michaels and Kirkhurbstreet will be calling the Thursday night Amazon game, which I.
Speaker 1: Think is being produced by NBC. So I think al Michaels is still going to work with his familiar NBC crew, but has left NBC and is not doing Sunday Night.
Speaker 2: They're probably pay I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: They're probably playing him a pretty penny. Yeah, So kirkhurb Street now will be doing what Thursday night football Game Day and Saturday Night Football. That's a haul. Yeah, that's and announcers And like our pal Adam Amine has been calling multiple sports multiple days and this is not a new thing. But to do a three four hour live show on Saturday morning, after a turnaround on Friday, doing the Thursday night game different sport, and then traveling again potentially Saturday afternoon to call the night game, that's a lot. So you have Joe Buckentreigman to Monday Night Football ESPN, kirkhurbs Street to Amazon in addition to his ESPN responsibilities. I don't know what's going to happen with the Fox guys, because now you're going to have openings at Fox, Like is Joe Davis going to now do NFL games? Is Gus Johnson going to do NFL games? Are they doubling up college and NFL? I don't know. I don't know those are the two big names doing college.
Speaker 2: It'll be very interesting to see. I'm sort of hung up on the trading of assets in different universes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that possibility. Okay, so let me take it to you and make it personal. Please. If ESPN came to me and said, we are throwing a million dollars at you to spearhead a new college football podcast, you have to leave the solid vert give them any ideas. But well, I'm letting you know this. I know they take our stuff. What would commiserate value be for me? If ESPN went to you and said, we understand, we fully decap the Soliverble, the tandem that is tyinged in right, how can we make this right from an asset perspective because we know the Soliverble is under contract with whoever.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean for.
Speaker 1: You have ESPN, you have Disney, you have ABC, you have all the properties within that umbrella.
Speaker 2: For starters, I need the nft of the original ESPN two logo because I don't know what they did with that thing, but that lives in infamy.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the scratchy yeah, yeah, it's just it's got a street feel to it. I need that so I need that. However, they can signify that I have ownership of the mod.
Speaker 1: Well, think about specific things since think about like the ESPN things, the physical things that are meaningful to you, Like you mentioned ESPN two. Would you want like Carl Ravitch's leather jacket when they were trying to make ESPN two cool, or like Susie Kolver's like remember they were they had him dressed down. I don't know if it's Keith Ober and somebody like what are the physical ESPN or Disney or I guess ABC if it was if a TV show was produced by ABC, Like would you want the tool time set in your house? Wow? That was an ABC show? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no?
Speaker 1: Would you want a display case of like Arkles glasses?
Speaker 2: There really is an open playbook here in terms of things that you would ask for. The broader question is what are you worth?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. You know how so it have to be worth it to ESPN?
Speaker 2: How aggressive could we get this? I mean, could we get the rights to Family Matters? It's not we It's not we could I but it's now just you could sOliver old media, Like do you want.
Speaker 1: To syndicate Family Matters? On what would we get we get the rights to that? No, that's probably too much step.
Speaker 2: By step little Suzanne Summers? Could we do that? Okay?
Speaker 1: So I don't think you could get step by Step. I don't think you get family matters.
Speaker 2: But Boy Meets World? What about Boy Meets the World too much?
Speaker 1: BMW's too much? Which could you have a negotiation about hanging with mister Cooper? I think that becomes interesting? Wow, like B level tgif Yeah? What are the other pieces of ESPN memorabilias like old X game stuff? Like do you want Mike Patrick and his audio archive? Do you want? Like? Uh? I'm trying to think of like other ESPN physical things that would be meaningful to you as a token in your home, Like would you want Keith Jackson's yellow ABC jacket. See, I'm not big on the memorabilia thing, okay, but I tell you what I wouldn't mind having. I wouldn't mind having exclusive ownership of all the ESPN commercials they've done over the years. Oh that's good, But what would you do with it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe I'd resell them on the internet and money off it. But all right, you know the Y two K with Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 1: How about this? How about this?
Speaker 2: It's never iffy if it's Griffy with Kenny Maine.
Speaker 1: What if ESPN agreed to cast you in one of those commercials like and you got to choose any past or present ESPN personality and team. You know, oh, their kneecap, their knee cap in me, I quit up here in the commercial.
Speaker 2: I quit my job for this.
Speaker 1: I know that's true.
Speaker 2: So if they're taking you away, they're ending the business. We're done. It's done. I don't have the Donzo sound, but we're done, right, So you got to make it worth my while.
Speaker 1: Is there anybody at ESPN or ABC, Slash Disney that you would replace me with? That you would that would just be a swap. See, now that's interesting, a clean swap. So they just hired Pete Thamil. We don't really know Pete. I don't know Pete. Yeah, yeah, Bill Connolly, ESPN.
Speaker 2: Bill Connolly's an interesting poll.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's bringing Rubenstein energy though it's different. You have all the people on air, right, all the people that call college games, Like, do you think you could replace me with a A Niche shroff a Dave Pash. Do you think you would do the show with Bill Walton?
Speaker 2: I think Bill Walton would do the show with Bill Walton. I don't think there's not there's not enough microphones for that one.
Speaker 1: You could go outside of football and hire somebody calling you want to the show? They rod, No, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't you know. I mean, if we could somehow incorporate the Jack Fowlers skill. Sure, if we could somehow incorporate Fouler into this now, he's probably I don't mean to be derogatory towards you. Uh, I don't think you'll take it as such, But Fowler's got more value than you. So could I get him on a limited basis to be part of the content of.
Speaker 1: The show, recurring like a recurring guest, kind of like.
Speaker 2: We had with Bill c Sure, Like, could I bring him on for a Patreon show? People would pay for that? Fitness tips with Chris? People would pay for fitness tips with Chris. You've seen his biceps on Instagram. You know what that's all about. Sure, this is a very complex question. I did not expect you to turn it around on me. Oh man, I will be putting together a list of demands, and like a good athletic director, I will keep it in my top drawer in the event that's something cataclysmic like this were to occur.
Speaker 1: What if it was like a demand that every opening Day you get to watch every single baseball game with Tim Kirkchin.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like Tim Kirkchin. But again, you're nuking my business.
Speaker 1: No, I know, no, I know. I'm just trying to come up with something appealing to you as a human.
Speaker 2: All Right, I have I have two other questions written down here. We're gonna do one. Do you want me to do the bug one or the uh sleep deprivation one? Sleep deprivation Dan Rubinstein.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that was the wrong button. No, that's right, leave that in there. I'll leave it in.
Speaker 2: They'll both stay in. What is the latest you have voluntary What is the latest you have voluntarily stayed up stayed awake? Yeah, in the last twelve months.
Speaker 1: Well, I've had an infant voluntarily stayed up. So that was not my choice. That was because I had anice.
Speaker 2: You had to society life.
Speaker 1: Yes, right from my teet. The latest I have probably stayed up has probably been no later than twelve thirty am.
Speaker 2: Did you see the ball because I was New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: No, of course, but I never do that. I was probably watching a movie or like I got hooked on, like Drive to Survive or some show that I just wanted to keep watching. U. There are times because I played tennis on Thursday nights. I don't know if you ever did this when you were because you played softball, But I don't know if you ever did like a more rigorous like sport physical activity.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I went there. When you're done playing, you're still juiced up. Yeah, I don't know if Like I remember talking to my dad about this when he would like play poker until like ten to eleven at night with a bunch of buddies, but he was thinking about all of his hands and he still had a lot of energy from playing, so he would be up till one two am. It's not that.
Speaker 2: Different than when you watch a really high level college football game that runs deep into the night and you're into it and it just takes after the national championship, we were pretty jazzed up.
Speaker 1: We were just late. Did we stay up that night? That was one of my later nights. I was close to midnight I was past twelve thirty twelve. That was Eastern. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm in God's time zone now, yeah, somewhere in that, in that realm, that twelve thirty realm. I just don't have it in me. Like even those late games, the Pac twelve games. I get up early and watch him in the morning that I miss. There's there's no Pac twelve game. And I'm pretty good now because I have the YouTube TV. I'm pretty good. Now. I'll just you know, throw it to the cloud DVR. I'll avoid my phone, I'll charge in another room, I'll avoid even if it's an organ game. I'll just get up at five and you know, skim through it then. So now there, I don't have it. I just I'm trying to think. I don't think, and I know it's not a fantastic answer. What the latest you stayed up? Is what?
Speaker 2: I've been up very late doing what? Nothing in particular, But I've been up till three four?
Speaker 1: So what are you doing at two forty four am?
Speaker 2: Going down a YouTube rabbit hole? Sure, clicking around on the computer, playing around on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Are you doing that in bed? Are you doing that in a living room?
Speaker 2: Mostly in the living room, I'd say, yeah, yeah, mostly in the living room, but nothing exciting. I mean, I'm a man, and you.
Speaker 1: Can function after two three hours of sleep? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, See when I was working thiserious day job, yeah, and I was up and down and just unable to sleep through the night because of stress and the crushing weight of the job.
Speaker 1: I was like, you can listen to it in full detail.
Speaker 2: Com you know. I was getting sleep, just not in any kind of continuous fashion. And you had to function the next day, so you did it. But no, can I function? I only have two hours of sleep? Not really?
Speaker 1: Are you watching anything now?
Speaker 2: Any shows?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Solid? Wife Kate watched Inventing Anna?
Speaker 1: No you? Why are you addressed a paw? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she watched that. I didn't watch it. I just saw some of the interviews with the real Anna that Kate watched after the fact, and I've decided I'm not really interested watching that show. Okay, So yeah, I went back and I watched Jack Ryan season one again again again, Yeah, okay, second time. Season one good, Season two, I Get back to You. Season two left a little bit to be desired, So I watched that was in a mood I am waiting to get rolling on Marvelous Missus Maisel.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I'm current. It's good latest season. But the latest season only had eight episodes. But yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Waiting, waiting to get caught up on that one. And then there are a couple others that have been sent to me. I watch Hacks that I tell you watch Hacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's really good, right, it was good? Yeah, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But as for current stuff that I'm watching, sort of an open book. I really could go for something to fill that void of like a Jack Ryan type of show.
Speaker 1: I'm dangerously close to rewatching Breaking Bad, dangerously close.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also, do you watch Better Call Saul? No? Did you do Breaking Bad?
Speaker 2: I did Breaking Bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to do Better Call Saul? Better Call.
Speaker 2: I started it, I couldn't get into it.
Speaker 1: Keep you gotta keep going. It's so good. The new season starts I think next month time. I'm jacked about it. Yeah, there it is, Yeah, there it is. I've been saving that sound drop for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you pulled it out at the right time, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I was just a little little treat for people who've been paying attention to this entire time. Got ah, Yeah, that's I stayed up late the other night, Friday night, I think, watching a couple of the newer south Park episodes. There was an episode about city city people moving to south Park and all they only say, like seven words, people moving from the city and driving up real estate prices in south Park, in which Cartman becomes a real estate agent south Park Realty Group and all of the city folk they come in and all they say is bottled water MacBook pro pilates Tesla bottled water, Tesla plates MacBook. It's pretty good. It's pretty great as a city person currently moving to a nonhu suburb. Anyway, Uh, it was good and I stayed up pretty late for me watching it. Very boring.
Speaker 2: Daniel, thank you for imparting some of your wisdom on us.
Speaker 1: I try Hey.
Speaker 2: Always appreciated. We appreciate you out there in the for Ballerhood, downloading, listening, supporting the show. Hopefully you made it the full way through. We appreciate you hanging around. If you have saliverble at gmail dot com, if you've got anything further that you like to share on the content of this show, or really anything that we do here, don't forget to subscribe to the show. Don't forget to tell your friends to subscribe and follow the show as well. That stuff really does help. So I'll giveaway dot Com. As I said at the very top of the show, you can go and sign up to win that sign mini helmet from aj Brown the Old Miss Variety. It's a white helmet.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And last, but not at least for ballers, dot com is a where you can find all the bonus stuff that we're proud of the video of this show. Get an early access to this show, Get access to Discord. Discord's been popping off as per usual. Many of you are listening to this on Thursday. There's a big US soccer match tonight.
Speaker 1: Oh who is the Is this men's or women?
Speaker 2: The Mexico game?
Speaker 1: This is that?
Speaker 2: This is an Azteca.
Speaker 1: Men's are women's men's men's? Okay? Are you feeling good?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: What network is it on?
Speaker 2: I think it's on Paramount Plus Great.
Speaker 1: Do you own it or will you be pirrating this game?
Speaker 2: I don't own Paramount Plus. It was not included in the trade for you.
Speaker 1: But are you a subscriber?
Speaker 2: I do have a four ninety nine month subscription for you spend just from March, just after March. I'm done, okay, but I just bought it for World Cup qualifying.
Speaker 1: Look at you, all right, it's all the time I have.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if you're into that, you can go on Discord. We're gonna be talking about it there in the meantime. Thank you Dan for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie hilde Brand. We will be back with you next week. In the meantime, as always, stay solid, Peace,