Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back.
Speaker 2: We're black, we're brown, and it's John Whish.
Speaker 1: I could see me like when I get the hands going, it's giving, it's giving Auntie realness.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I was just gonna say, you are extra chocolatey today. I'm seeing like the monochrome lip happening. You're kind of blurry, but I feel like you have a little bit of bronzer on your eyelid. I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I woke up like this. I have not even washed my face today.
Speaker 3: This is oh, shut up, I take it back, but you look gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I mean, I put a lip on it. I was like, did you watch your face today? To be I'm like, you know what I did not.
Speaker 3: I woke up and I took off my acne patch at the last minute, so I was like, they're probably going to be able to see it. That's where I'm at today. Happy brand and Vision Wednesday. How are you, Mandra I am a little frazzled, but I'm doing good. I finally finally, well, I don't even know if I can say finally. It wasn't like something that I was thinking about for a long time, but all of a sudden I just had this epiphany last week. It's time for an admin. It's time for an assistant.
Speaker 1: And it's not like you're gonna say it's time for the percolator.
Speaker 2: You're like, it's not for the time.
Speaker 3: For It's not a percolator, it's alator.
Speaker 2: No, it's the percolator. You're showing your age. You're so young.
Speaker 1: So the original song is time for the percolator. So now they change it to the triculator whatever they talk now the literally the original song is the percolator, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Some of y'all dances to it right now.
Speaker 1: You're like, it's that slide like you know, you gotta do the it's time for the percolate, like side to side.
Speaker 2: And then you got to do your footwork like.
Speaker 3: It's it's the thing you got me just say, okay, young blood, let me take you aside and teach you something because I.
Speaker 2: Was a percolator and it show.
Speaker 3: This is why you need people of all different you know, ages and backgrounds, because look how much more educated I am.
Speaker 1: You know that you will not embarrass yourself at the at the next family function.
Speaker 2: I hope not.
Speaker 3: I hope not. Lord, No, I'm a little. I'm a little frazzled, but I finally I found a wonderful young woman to help me and be my admin, and could not have been I'd been at a better time, because it seems like everything has been a little whack a doodle the past week, starting with the fact that somehow I managed to book so I'm going to Atlanta for a thing, and I managed to book two flights to Atlanta. So one day, two weeks ago, I was like, Okay, I finally got details. I'm going to book this flight. And then five days went by and I don't know what. I just forgot that I had done it, and I was like, oh crap, I got to book this flight. I got it, and I set my reminder, and then I booked another flight, and then I was looking at my calendar and I'm like, why do I have two different options? And there are different times leaving and different times arriving, Like the brain is just not you know where she needs to be, so referral, I have a really great I don't even know what to call Marisa. Marisa is my She's someone that I met in my last job, and she has become I think I've talked about her before. She's sort of like my business budget niezte is how I feel. So she and I actually talk every week, and we have both been launching our solo business at at the same time, and so we just check each other. It's like we just ended up having these weekly Friday calls and Marisa ended up I could talk about her all day. But she is this powerhouse professional PR REP and she is on this mission to give black women opportunities in PR that they may not otherwise have. And we were talking about our sponsor word Tune, and I really was meaning. What we were talking about is how important written communication is and if you do not have communication skills on point, it can really hurt you. But what so often happens is people who may have the writing skills, they may not have the professional background or specific jobs in PR to get those opportunities, and they may be wanting to pivot, but it can be hard for them to pivot into that career. So Marisa is basically training and helping people who have those great communication verbal skills, written skills, but they just need some training and coaching and how to do that in the context of public relations and comms. So Anyway, So I was talking to Marisa, so she's like, it's time, and I said, I know it's time. And then she happened to be working with this young woman named Rock. So Hey, Rocks, I'm outing you as my assistant. But I'm excited because literally before fifteen minutes before we started recording, my little brother Tech called me and he's all sound and haggard, and I was like, what's wrong, Alex, because I'm staying with him in Atlanta because Atlanta is a COVID hell mouth right now. And he's like, listen, I got the aches, I got the chills, I'm not the I'm fatigued. Meanwhile, he has had COVID, he is vaccinated, so I just to be on the safe side, I'm scrambling.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was like, Rocks, I got something for you. I need a hotel and I have never needed to use the app hotels tonight more than yeah, I need it now. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, I would say, so here's some here's some unsolicited admin advice.
Speaker 3: Give it to me, because I know you've been through them girls one or two.
Speaker 2: Or three or seven definitely. So my team was like, is it you. I'm like, is not me. I've had a lot of.
Speaker 3: Really awesome trauma.
Speaker 1: But no, but what I've what I learned with admins one it actually like whatever, like give her like a general name because it's unlikely that Rocks will be with you for like the next twenty years. You know, you just never know it's possible, but you never know. So you know, my admin's name is her real name is Rose. But y'all have ever emailed me professionally or otherwise, it's always Michelle. Whether I've had admin's name Sylvia, Leah, Roseanne, Rose, Little Candice, I just had so many different admins and but either way in Molly, Vicky Thomas, about three kims like all right, dmx no, but for real, So so that's always a good idea because it just helps us like with continuity, like you know, as your brand grow.
Speaker 2: So that's one.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And honestly, I mean, just like honestly open communication is always key.
Speaker 2: I believe just this is just in general with like teams and whatever.
Speaker 1: What I've gotten really like good at is like I want my admin to think what would Tiffany do? So in the beginning, you know, we talk all the time as I'm giving her instruction, I like to give.
Speaker 2: Her the backstory.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, so, for example, I'm like, you know, let's just say something for grand ambition that you've emailed me. So I'm not just like, oh, just let Mandy know, yeah, Wednesday's fine. I'm like, so, Mandy's my friend, but we have a podcast today together, but we're actually really friends. And then so it's important because when she emails you that way doesn't sound all formal.
Speaker 2: Like hello Modu, you know.
Speaker 3: And actually why not let him?
Speaker 2: I'm like, just like, hey, girl, anyway, be.
Speaker 3: Very scary and that you're afraid of me.
Speaker 1: So so I just think that like, yeah, with admins, well, with anyone anyway, but especially admins, like you know, giving them kind of like I call out the soap propera, like you know, you're like, okay, so this is my favorite show.
Speaker 2: So that's Marcus. So Marcus really likes Vanessa.
Speaker 1: But Vanessa's not luck Marcus because it really helps her to make like wiser, more holistic choices when I'm not as you know, as present. And so that was it, honestly, and but honestly, don't be afraid too, because it doesn't take. It took me a long time to realize it doesn't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. Where I've had admins that weren't a fit and kept them for a year and drowned instead. So now I'm like, no, you know, like there was an admin that we had recently and three days in I was like, yeah, this is not a fit, and then with the week I was like, you know, we wish you well, but this is not a fit. I'm not doing that anymore where I'm going to suffer for a year when something's not a fit.
Speaker 2: They might be a fit someplace else.
Speaker 1: Because we've had admins who have been on the team and now they work on another team, you know, because it was a better fit for them there, and then just some people who weren't just a culture fitted that at all. But yeah, like you know, because it's such a critical like my CEO, Karen is my right hand, I tell them, and I told.
Speaker 2: Rose you are my left hand.
Speaker 1: Like you're like you might you know, if Oprah emails me, you'll see it before I do. So, like you know, like admin sounds like too small a word to encompass, Like.
Speaker 3: You want to watch when Oprah emails to me but be like, how does email work.
Speaker 1: Now? Because we get some cool stuff that comes through, and I'm like, you know, so it's exciting, you know because some of the people like admin, that seems like belief beneath me, and I'm like, no, SIS, like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so critically important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and you can come up executive assistant, whatever you want to call it, human roll of duct tape. Just fix all the things, you know what I mean, all the teams. Yes, no, that thank you, thank you. I think that for me, I learned I made a lot of mistakes running a team and building a team and working with assistants in the past, and one of the biggest mistakes that I made was not being able to particulate what I needed. And I actually still do this from time to time. We were just in Saint Louis visiting my mom and I'm just not used to having help, right. I mean, I have a husband, but you know he has a wife. Yeah yeah, yeah, and my mom. I'm running around and I'm just like stressed out. So the first day we're there, you know, we've thirty we've survived a thirty hour road trip, et cetera. And I'm trying to still work, and I'm running around Rio. We have to like give him allergy medicine. We're looking for like one of those little syringes whatever, but no one knew. I'm running around with a chicken, like a chicken with his head cut off, and I'm just like, I have this deadline, and I'm in my head, in my head, I'm just like, why isn't my mom more helpful? Like why isn't she just like seeing what I need? And she's and she stopped me and she's like, I can't help you if you don't tell me what you need. And I needed some ring and she's like, oh, this one, and she had anyway, so for me, and that's anyway. So me with me and Rocks, it's going to be all about you know, I had I did some introspective like thinking about what do I need and what are some tasks and all of that, so that I'm not just bringing someone on who has no direction. Yeah, but you know, all in yes, I hope I. Rocks has a cool career of her own and you know, has her own business and it's almost like she has two bosses because she also works with Marisa and she knows like you know what I mean, I kind of like that. I'm like, yeah, if Maurice is on the phone and I'm just like, hey, you know, I'm your boss now, just like hit up on Marisa.
Speaker 2: I mean I did that.
Speaker 1: I'm the make sure she creates while she's there, like an s op, right, a scope of work.
Speaker 3: Like what like we got it she had about that business. I had one over the weekend. Yeah that's no, that's excellent.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. We have we have Loom calls. I don't know if you guys use.
Speaker 1: Loom, not calls, but like Loom is like these recordings that we do now, so it's like to actually show someone and then you click. It's like some latre like our like our tech manager on our team kind of like got us used to that. It's so helped because I'm not techie. So like if I'm like trying to figure out how to do a thing, we have like you know, these sets of videos like here's how you upload the da da da, Here's how you you know, use whatever like tool or resource, and it's just so helpful those short videos.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's how you use it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh that's cute here for the website surely uses loom.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yes, yes, that's why. That's why. No, but that's great having help. Having help is so good.
Speaker 1: You sent me like an Instagram post speaking of which, can we talk about it?
Speaker 3: Yes? Ken, we didn't. We have to now, I know you're not on ig like you used to be. But did you were you aware of it before I sent you this?
Speaker 2: Oh? And so did it blow up?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's it blew up on this person's page. So this is and I actually shared it on our stories just to get some quick feedback from our audience. Because so this is a post that Tamika D. Mallory posted. And if you have ever heard of the Women's March that happened in twenty seventeen after the inauguration of He who must not be named, Tamika was one of the founders of that march. And she has become you got over a million followers on Instagram. She's become a huge social activist and she does amazing work. Like this woman is a bad, bad woman, and she I mean in a good way, you know what I mean. She's amazing and I feel what I saw this just pop into my feed this post that she put up, and I will I will read it to you guys too. But my gut reaction was something about this does not set right with me. But before we get into it, because it is, you know, she's been getting into it. It has over four thousand comments on her own page, and it's starting to make the round on other black influencer pages. But before we get into it, because we do need to talk about it. I think I just want to establish that I am not a huge fan of like cancel people because they said something a bit tone deaf or whatever. Like this woman has done so much for and still does. She just hosted an amazing event in Harlem that was free for kids and for families anyway, so this maybe was a misstep in my opinion, but I don't think it at all. It takes away from her the body of work that she has done and how much good she has done. So that's my disclaimer. But here's so here's the post. It's one of those take a picture of a tweet and post it things and she says, IDK, who needs to hear this? But you're not overwhelmed, you are lazy and unorganized.
Speaker 2: Wake up.
Speaker 3: Earlier, get an agenda, book, create a routine, create boundaries, say no, stick to your schedule, write down and adhere to your deadlines. You are standing in your own way. Caption said, let me write a caption here, because it seems people don't understand that every post is not for every person. There are many people who just need to focus on their plan, stay off the internet and prioritize and stop being lazy. That's me at times. And this post is for you if you know you can do better, and I will.
Speaker 2: Leave it there.
Speaker 1: And then she liked to she did an updated post just so you know, like I guess that. The next post she said she doesn't. Yes, when I read a post that says I don't know who needs to hear this? And then I read the post and it doesn't apply to me, I move on. I don't tell the person who's posting it they are they are wrong about something they feel is important.
Speaker 2: Could it be that it hit you deep?
Speaker 1: Now here's the thing, here's what I say. Right, you are free to post whatever you want, but also people are free to respond unless you turned off comments.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And then two, I don't know, girl, because I have been on both sides. We're definitely there's times when I've just been straight lazy, you know, and there's times when I'm overwhelmed, not because I'm actually overworked. I'm overwhelmed because there's underlying stress that is actually causing me. Like I know, when I'm a feeling stressed, if one nap is not enough, like usually I take maybe like a forty five minute nap. But if I'm like yo, I slept two hours today during the day and then I'm still tired and I'm tired again.
Speaker 2: One of the fastest ways.
Speaker 1: That my body gives me an indication Tiffany, you are stressed deeply so borderline depressed. Is I'm sleepy in a way that's unnatural. That's not me being lazy. That is my body saying stop. We are overwhelmed. For whatever he say, it doesn't necessarily mean overworked, but we are overwhelmed and we are physically slowing you down.
Speaker 2: I think she just missed the mark.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get what she's saying, because certainly, you know, there are definitely times when it's like, you know, tiff you really could do a little bit more, or you could step up. But to say, here's the thing, I would have just it would have hit better if it was like sometimes we've all been lazy and we need to get organized, wake up. But to say you're not overwhelmed, it's like you're making a judgment. You don't know that someone's not overwhelmed. You know, you don't know the cause if they're overwhelmed. It just it's an easy, lazy post. And then to say, oh well, oh well, oh well, if it doesn't apply to you, it's like, well, it doesn't work that way. It says you posted it publicly, so you get addressed publicly, and that's okay. That's just the way the world works. I can I can freely speak and share, and people can freely give me their their feedback, you know, so it goes both ways. So I think that it was like kind of a misstep there, although certainly sometimes you know, we need a little kick in the behind, But I don't know that this is it.
Speaker 3: This is a thing. And this is why I'm kind of like, Tiffany, you were right to get off IG, because this is the danger of being an IG and putting yourself you're scrolling through social media land mines is how I feel it, and you don't know when you're gonna hit one. And I know because as someone who who deals with anxiety, and not even I will fully there's a spectrum of anxiety, and I am on the border of having like a diagnosed anxiety disorder. But I have managed and have people in my life who truly have debilitating anxiety disorders that stem from things like sexual assault, being abused in the past, or they generally just have an anxiety disorder. And I put myself in the shoes of someone and having also dealt with my own anxiety who is just scrolling through their IG feed and they see this. And this is where her intention doesn't really matter, because the thing is the person. Even if she says this may not be for everybody, everybody is going to see it because you posted it publicly and it's very You say tough love, and I agree. I have said things like this to people that I love, a cousin, a sibling. I'm the tough love sibling in the family. Like I call it like it is. I'm like, you know, which I can do because I think that we have such a foundation of love and support, and they know that it's coming from that place of love and support. And that's why I think that's where like people that you know personally, I think you can give them that tough love and you know. So it sounds like she knows some people, maybe three or four or I don't know how many who she should have texted this too privately. I do not think that the entire world and unsuspecting people who may have been scrolling on their IG feeds who follow her for her amazing work, deserve to see something like this, because I just my heart breaks, because even I have been someone who had to learn, who had to learn to be gentle with people who have anxiety and have mental health issues. I am someone who you know, if you're walking too slow, I'm like, just hurry up, Oh your ankle hurts, you know, like, And that's because I am so hard on myself for my own self esteem issues. It's my own like I'm projecting my insecurity on someone else.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Now, where I have learned to be really empathetic to people, as I've seen how a fucking to do list and an agenda book does not work when you have an anxiety disorder. The problem is not that you don't know I'm looking at this post, and I'm like getting even angrier. The problem isn't that they don't know how to do the things. It's that you can write down a list step one through ten, and if step one is put on your shoes, they are still paralyzed, you know, and everything is overwhelming and laying on the couch or taking a walk or doing whatever, you know, putting their head under a pillow that seems like the what their body needs at that time.
Speaker 1: And I just think it's still still timed right, like we don't never have good time, right, but meaning like especially now, especially now, are we going to act like there's not collective trauma that we're all dealing with.
Speaker 2: And we've seen people die.
Speaker 1: In mass right, scared to go outside like run, you know, running to get your mask every single time, worrying about your elderly parents or your grandma.
Speaker 2: You know. Now kids are getting the delta vain and dying. I saw a four year old just died.
Speaker 1: We didn't just have like these terrible storm systems that passed through. So I'm just saying like, literally, there is a collective trauma that we are experiencing worldwide.
Speaker 2: You know, this is not good times.
Speaker 1: You know the nineties when the economy is doing good worldwide. No, there is a collective trauma that we are experiencing as a human race period. Right, There's no corner of the world that has not been experiencing some form of trauma as relates to what's happened with COVID. And so I just feel like, although it's never a good time, it's especially ill timed because sometimes people don't even know that they're experiencing trauma. Like literally, I won't know that like something is going on until like Superman will be like you all right, and I'm like, yeah, why, He's like, this is your third nap today? I'm like it is, you know, And I'm like or like I'll just be sitting on the cop and i can't even keep my eyes open and I'm like, but you slept last night, Tiffany, And I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm weary, but not physically tired. Yeah. I just think, like I hear you says, but well then you have to hear us.
Speaker 3: Too, like not as saying it, And remember that your words have so much power. How could she forget?
Speaker 2: How can you forget?
Speaker 3: You can't help but be significainst that energy and there's plenty of people who were like, yeah, I mean, they're thanking her for saying it. And I do think that people read this and they were like yop. But I also I don't. I don't think this is that much different, and maybe I should think before I say this. I'm trying to think really fast. But remember Rachel Hollis when she came out and she said, do you think I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To be relatable? Relatable?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was Harriet Tubman relatable?
Speaker 3: Dad? Now her, it's a it's very different. Rachel Hollis is white, you know, and she has that whole series called girl dot Dot Dot, which is you know, I think culturally appropriating, like a phrase that black women started. But anyway, and in this case, I just feel like it's almost as if she's saying, this wasn't for you. You know, if you're not if you don't find this, if you don't enjoy what I'm saying, then it wasn't for you. So just keep it moving, you know. Like I'm not trying to really to everybody, but when you have a public platform, your words have matter, and they matter and they have such a huge reach, and so I just fear for the people who are looking at that and internalizing that same dialogue, which is that something is wrong with me. If I can't do things I should have things everyone else should have. I mean, this is the peril of being on social media, and it is one of those I think digital land mines that just it goes off, and I think, if you're the one who planted it there, you have to take responsibility for that. I hate that it was her because she's wonderful and her work is so extraordinary. But I was disappointed, I really was in how she handled the whole thing, Like, yeah, girl.
Speaker 1: Like laziness is not Sometimes laziness is actually the symptom to a greater issue.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what white people have been calling Black people for so long? Or like wanting to think that we're just lazy? You know, why are you complaining? Don't be a victim. It's like internalized racism, internalized patriarchy, internalize all the things that are manifesting themselves, and that if.
Speaker 1: You would just do this, Like I have a friend that created something and it was stolen from him.
Speaker 2: He's a black creator.
Speaker 1: It was stolen from him, and I'm like, you know, all the things they said, well, if you just worked hard.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: He built something that was unique and brought it to market connected with an advisor.
Speaker 2: The advisor knew wealthier folks, gave.
Speaker 1: Them back room access to the thing that he built, so they were their engineers were able to recreate it, was able to raise one hundred million dollars for their project off his black back. And you'd be like, oh, well, maybe went to school. He went to Harvard. I'm sorry, he went to Harvard.
Speaker 2: So all the things you could.
Speaker 1: Check off, all the lists, you can build something, you could work really hard, you can go to Harvard. You could do all those things, and someone can still come in and take from you and create wealth.
Speaker 2: From them for themselves off of you.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello Elvis Presley, hell Low all the TikTokers that take all the dances from all the brown babies on TikTok you know, and so like, that is not something new. So I hate when people say that, well, if black people just work harder, I'm like, you're kidding, right, you know, because that's not really what's happening. You know, it's possible to work hard and still be taken from and still be stolen from.
Speaker 2: I mean it's happened to me, and then what do you do? Then?
Speaker 1: How much hard am I supposed to work? I can't make miracles happen, you know. It's just like yeah, I mean so to see that, especially in the landscape that we're in now, that's why, like I said, you have to do it's best for you. I am a much better place than I was before. When I tell you what, Right before this, I wasn't laid out for a nap. I was like mm hmm, and I have a vacation planned in two weeks. And then I have a yes, I'm going, so me and.
Speaker 3: Me and I was home.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say no. Well I won't say yea I will because you don't know where.
Speaker 1: But I'm just gonna go to I was like, Superman, you know I've never been to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 2: Let's go for three days. So just book a quick three.
Speaker 1: Day jont midweek to like Niagara Falls, and then for my birthday and Hawaii for a week.
Speaker 3: Okay, a little gym and pam office moment. I don't know if you watch The Office, No, I don't, but some of us are not millennials and it shows.
Speaker 2: I know so. But yeah, Hawaii for my birthday.
Speaker 1: And I just told myself every other month, I'm gonna because literally I have Fridays off, so I can leave Friday to Sunday, you know, bring a friend.
Speaker 2: I have so many points.
Speaker 1: So I just told myself, I'm prioritizing the things that bring me joy. Reading books. Y'all know, I take my daily walks. You know, I take my nap if I need it. You know, I was just talking to my papasist, Tracy to day shout out to you, Tracy, I should connect her with Your friend's name.
Speaker 2: Is Marisol, Marisa.
Speaker 3: You know you have Maurice's resume, and I already connected you to her, so all you gotta do. It's just.
Speaker 2: No, I should.
Speaker 3: She's busy lit her, get her.
Speaker 2: No, I mean just to connect them to together, just to like, you know, just I think.
Speaker 3: It's just that they would get on great. Yeah, tracing that her own little pr empire too.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so I no, I just think that, Like so she was saying today, she'said, you know you don't have You're not doing that much press anymore. And I'm like, no, you know, because I've drawn a boundary of like it's not that serious unless I'm really like rolling out a big project. So to me that you have to do what's right for you for me social media, you know, like I don't know, and you know, I don't see myself coming back where I was before, you know, creating things ahead of time, giving it to the team. I come on to do like my fun lives when I want to, and then I jump off and I'm I'm happier, I'm lighter, you know, I feel like I have way more space. I'm reading literally at least a book a week, if not too and like I'm just I'm just in a much better place in space. So t Miika Marie, I loved you, girl, but docing it And you know, if you are feeling like you know, maybe you're not as motivated, you know, ask yourself, what are the underlying factors that might be preventing you from moving forward in the way that you feel as capital doesn't you know, capitalism.
Speaker 3: They create this, I mean I think, well, I mean I just want to stay on this topic for a little bit because I we're kind of segueing into what it means to be even just a business owner or to go out on your own and I think like you've always been really good about realistic entrepreneur stories and about the struggle and about the grind. But I also think that there's a lot of people out there who have launched businesses and they think that or you have this idea that if I'm not working twenty four to seven, then I'm not doing enough, or I should be working on the weekends. And I feel like it's the I've had the benefit of watching people like you build your business and also having my financial planner, Helen has an even broader service where she actually coaches and helps people become CEOs. And what I love is that I have when I've approached my business is I've taken I've decided I'm not going to sacrifice my mental health. I want a better way of working. I don't want to work when I don't need to. I want to be able to choose how I spend my time and to and like you said, like it's okay to take care of yourself and you can still be a badass business person, like a business woman business person when you take naps, when you take a walk, you know when you draw those lines, and we need more examples like that. So I'm so glad that you're open about it. I am at four. I quit at four o'clock, and I love it so much. Yeah, I was already kind of doing it before, but now I don't have to fee guilty about it because you're the boss.
Speaker 2: You know, and to feel like, see what my boss say, Oh that's why it's me.
Speaker 3: Yes, just that now, and yes, and I flexible working arrangements now that you can work remote, I think it is wonderful. And hopefully yes, and take those naps during the day. And I would literally, even when I was nine to five, like schedule an hour and you know, I have my nap, my my.
Speaker 2: Moon pod down here in my little nap zone.
Speaker 3: I would take a nap unapologetically around three o'clock because it's like, what am I going to do? Drug myself with caffeine? There's the people we've just normalized drugging ourselves to get through the day when what our bodies need is some rest, you know.
Speaker 1: Because what you learn is this is that if you maximize the time that you are working, you actually don't have to work as much. So I've learned that, Like, so for example, if I was if I was writing, like When I was writing Get Go with Money Right, there were times when I was like, oh, Tiffany, I got to push through, and I'd be like, well, what does it do? Because I promise you, whatever this tired work thing is, you're gonna have to rewrite this section because it's not gonna be good work. So I've learned to lean in when I'm feeling energized, like so if I know I can, I'm feeling energized, and normally I maybe only blocked out an hour. I'm like, let's do three, Tiffany, because you got the juice right now, because tomorrow, when you don't feel like doing anything, I don't do anything, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what I've really learned.
Speaker 1: It's almost like my own circadian rhythm as it relates to work, not just not just right. So I learned that when I'm on it, I'm like, oh, okay, juices are flowing. I might flow for three days straight, and so I'll really go hard because I know that, like, you know, Saturday, Sunday or Monday or sometimes I just like today, I'm not gonna lie. I wasn't really like I was like, yeah, you know, but because last week I leaned in when I had the Jews. It gives me space to relax when I don't, because what it is is that something internally is telling me pull back and relax, and it's okay to honor that. Now, to be honest, it's different. I always remind Tracy, my publicist, because she's just started in business, and so I remind her too that she has to create space. But that looks different because you like, in the beginning, the work is a little bit, a little bit more frantic. I'm not even gonna lie, Like, there's no way to get around that in the beginning because you don't even know what you're doing just yet.
Speaker 2: You know, you're still figuring it out, but.
Speaker 1: Still really trying to carve out space, you know, Whereas now I don't need to work frantically literally at all. Like I'm like, girl, what do I pay these people for. I pay the people to for franticness, you know, and I pay them well, and so I it yo, cause Tracy will come over and like, like work for my house and like literally it should be like you're just on the couch under a blanket.
Speaker 2: I'm like, girl, I'm listening to my new business book.
Speaker 1: I'm reading this book now called Bill to Sell and it's so great and I'm like, I am working. I'm just working in my my favorite target night dress and my headphones.
Speaker 3: It's just like this what a self made CEO can look like. Girl.
Speaker 1: And honestarily, when I tell you, when you do that, I promise you the After my six weeks, the level of just like excitement and Tracy's like you've been on one, I have been.
Speaker 2: That break recharged me so fully.
Speaker 1: It took my idea from like this is eight figures to pitching it and people telling me like, when it's ready, this is nine figures, you let me know, And I'm like, really, you know, like that taking time and giving yourself space truly is the best way to success. That overworking yourself just means whatever ideas and things you come up with are tired and semi broken, and so like you take a break before you break, you know, That's always my advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Well, I'm glad that we I'm glad that we sat without for a while.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Tamika.
Speaker 3: But think about your words and think about who your audience is, Okay, and if you have three to four people who need some tough love, just whatever happened to text you're calling?
Speaker 2: You know, that's what group chat is for.
Speaker 3: That's what the group chat is for. Should we do a should we do a breaky or a Boostye? What you think?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's now it's time for a breaking boost and boost and break or break or boost or break a boost. Yeah, I think I'm gonna I'm gonna boost too, I'm gonna boot. I have two little light boosts.
Speaker 3: Two little light boosts. Okay, you want to go first?
Speaker 1: Sure, So first boost is so y'all know, my book hit their time bestsellers list, but Penguin had printed like eighty five thousand copies of the book, meaning that like when you went to go get it, the sticker wasn't on, and I'm like, well, it's not a sticker, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like you know, and I'm like, when is it coming out?
Speaker 1: So I just got to email today saying tiff Any, now that you've sold ninety thousand plus copies of this book, woo woo, like we finally have gotten rid of like you know, those like those book covers. So it's they're gone, and so we have the new book in the warehouse. So you should see them start to trickle into your local store. So if you haven't already, like of course they're in Barnes and Nobles, but they're recently in Target, and I think just for this month, so head onto your local Target.
Speaker 2: They should be everywhere.
Speaker 1: And it was so hard to get the Target because oos Target is Bouget Honey.
Speaker 3: They don't so small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they don't have much shelf space. So the fact that I'm in Target, it's like woo who. So go to your local Target, pick it up. It won't have the sticker on it just yet, but in the next like a month or so, so I cannot wait to see, like, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Hit one hundred k then like you know, we yeah today.
Speaker 1: No, I think probably I would say by November, we'll hit one hundred k in our first year.
Speaker 2: Hasn't eve been a full year. Honestly, we're not even gonna know.
Speaker 3: That's just are you.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, that's just nothing. I know. I know, all right, I know, so I'm so fat. That's one.
Speaker 1: And then I found out, I mean maybe I'm the only one. I didn't realize that people be doing fake.
Speaker 2: Reviews on Amazon.
Speaker 3: I guess I kind of thought, but I.
Speaker 2: Never really thought.
Speaker 3: I didn't really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was watching this CNPC special on YouTube because I'm apt to just watch random, like you know videos, and they were like thirty five percent they estimate thirty five percent or more of reviews on Amazon are fake. I'm like, what, No, So I was like, what can we do? So they mentioned there's this this tool. It's totally free. It's called fake Spot, so faithspot dot com. They're not you know, we're not you know, they're not paying me nothing. But I just so I downloaded it to my phone. It's one of those extensions not except from my phone to my computer, but I think you could do it on your phone too. So I was like, let me go to Amazon. So you put it on there, and like you know, if you put fakespot on and you look at get good money. And they're like, this is an a you know, ninety percent of the reviews here are real reviews. I'm like, try one hundred percent, but that's okay, hater.
Speaker 2: But then you go to like, for.
Speaker 1: Example, I didn't know this, but Nike broke their relationship with Amazon said no more, no more Nikes for you, because you guys can't seem to keep fake nikes off your site.
Speaker 2: So I was like, really, but I see Nikes on.
Speaker 1: Amazon all the time and they'd be having like fifty thousand five star reviews.
Speaker 2: So I pulled up one of those.
Speaker 1: I put a Nike air Force ones and you look and I'm like, oh my god. Fake Spot gets it, gives it an f and it says that like eighty five percent of these reviews are false. So what happens is they go to countries where you know, people have like these these review farms, and literally they just have people sit log into a new Amazon account five star, lock into another one five star, lock into another one five star.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, what it is? Life?
Speaker 1: Fake spot is life changing because I would wonder why. I'm like, I would order something and I'm like, this thing is trash. But it had like ten thousand and five star reviews. Those were fake, those were bought, and I just I don't, you know, I feel like such a kid, like how did I not know? You know, cause I'd like, you know, you look at the reviews and someone will be like, how did they get so many great reviews? Because I bought it and it broke within two days it's because they're fake. But I love fake spot because literally, as soon as you pull up Amazon and you go on whatever book or T shirt or whatever you're trying to buy, fake Spot puts a little grade next to it, and if you want a deeper dive, you can click analyze reviews.
Speaker 2: So you're welcome. Fake Spot is going to save your coin. Sis, it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Save your Thank you for that, because it's always annoying to send Amazon packages back to if you don't like it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they don't even take it back. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Thanks for sharing fake spot spot Like on a.
Speaker 1: Dog spots dot com, duck com, it's like, let me write that, Damn, let me write you know, I take my notes.
Speaker 3: What do I have so far today? Anyway? So I'm a quick boost too. I wanted to shout out Tarana Burke because her book Unbound is coming out this week and she's been all over. There's a really good interview with her the Larry Wilmore podcast Black in Business, where she and Larry talk about just a lot of like nuanced questions and how she even had to put Trevor Noah in his place about how he verbal lot he turned me too into a verb and basically said, oh, I was afraid someone got me tooed and how she had to like you know, tell him what was what And it was a great conversation. But I'm so excited to get this book unbound. I wish it was coming out tomorrow, which is going to be yesterday when you guys listen Tuesday on the fourteenth. So there hasn't been a book since Tiffany's that I've been this excited about, so I wanted to shout that out.
Speaker 1: I've met her in person and she is just like so dope, so like just too and like, first of all, the cover is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I feel like I could stare at her face. So her face is so unique and beautiful and I could just like look at it all the time. So I'm glad that her face is on the cover too. I know we've talked about that before. Shouts out to her and shouts out to I want to start like shouting out little black business a little black small black businesses. And this is one that I've I just used and I discovered her. She's in Charlotte, North Carolina, and her business is called Hummingbird Candle Company, and I got the most delicious scented candles from her. One of the things that I'm deciding to spend more money on is candles because I don't want to do the cheapy ones from home goods anymore. I'm just trying to like booze it up a little bit and by myself nice things. And her sense are so unique and she has the cute I mean. And she was basically told do not start a candle business. It'll never be it'll never be profitable. And she's just blown up and some of her stuff has gone viral. So check her out Hummingbird Candle Company. And I didn't write down her name, which is really annoying, but I'm gonna google it right now.
Speaker 2: I like that name, Hummingbird Candle Company. I like it.
Speaker 3: Wait is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think? I said, Charlotte. It's Ashville, North Carolina, Ashville but adorable. Well, you will put a link to their shop and our show notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: Like Again, I feel like we used to shout out like black small black businesses. So we have there's something that we like. We should for sure, but if we shout them out, you said my skin is looking okay. So there's this black business that they make natural like health and beauty products.
Speaker 2: It's called the butter Bar.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately you've mentioned the butter Bar before.
Speaker 1: They are amazing, honestly, and unfortunately they're founder. I think her name was Kim, but then she passed away last year. Shee been ill for some time and it's my understanding that she started the butter Bar in an effort to make sure that she had like healthy, like natural products. But when I tell you now, it's not for everyone because my skin is normal to dry, and so a lot of their stuff is like kind of like oil based and things. So but it's just a perfect match for my skin.
Speaker 2: I mean it is. I never had.
Speaker 1: Terrible skin, but it was like as you get a little older, you get a little dryer. This is me, not not a stitch of makeup, and it is. It has transformed my skin. And I'm not one of them, like you know, like like my friend Felicia, She's got this Instagram account called this That Beauty. So if you are, you know, woman in her thirties and forties and beyond, Felicia is, you know, her skin is amazing and she kind of shows you all these different products and services and things.
Speaker 2: But she's fancy skin lady. I don't do all that.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm like, tell me where to wash my face, tell me what to you know, slap on a moisturizer and maybe a serum. But the butter Bar got me all the way together. I mean, people stop me and they're like, ooh, Tiffany. I'm like, it was not looking like this before. Thanks butter Bar and Beauty.
Speaker 3: So they're also a fun account to follow on IG. They do want facials and I kind of find them addicting to watch.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I believe in them, but they look Actually I might hit them up while I'm an Atlantic because I know they have a location.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they get something.
Speaker 1: If you could get one thing from butter Bar, I would tell you get the melon in. It's a serum, so when you wash your face, it's supposed to be washed toner serum moisturizer, so washtna seer moisturizer.
Speaker 2: So I can only get.
Speaker 1: One thing from butter Bar, one hundred percent, it would be the melon in. It's like this orange yellow serum.
Speaker 2: O m G. It's not cheap now you know me, Like, you know, I could be a little budgetie.
Speaker 3: I don't think you should skimp on your face.
Speaker 1: It is worth its weight and go like I literally get too. I put them in the refrigerator. It's like the ones because it's all natural, the ones I'm not using and alf I even got one of those little mini refrigerators to keep upstairs.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's right. You do have a lot of stairs at your house.
Speaker 2: So it's there.
Speaker 1: They are my Oh they're my butter bar skin on on ig my butter bar skin there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it. Okay, thanks very mudy about them. All right, y'all. Well, I hope y'all have a wonderful brown ambition Wednesday. We'll see y'all next week, Tiffany, we need to figure out our vacation dates that we figure out what's gonna happen to the show. What we're going.
Speaker 1: Well, no, the one I'm gonna is during the week, so but it's only probably my birthday week.
Speaker 3: That's kind of like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, stay black, y'all and brown.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll see y'all well, not next week Friday. We'll see your Friday for yeah. B a q A b a Q n a