Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, Yes it is Oscar's weekend, and oh no, you have not watched all the Best Picture nominees. What we did so you didn't have to. Movie number two on our list that will get you caught up on with the cliff notes is one battle after another.
Speaker 2: Woo.
Speaker 3: Yes, this was a battle for me to keep watching. It was an epic, overwhelming movie that certainly had a lot of storytelling and incredible acting, but it has thirteen nominations, so just behind Sinners. It is up for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Casting, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score, Best Achievement and Production Design, and Best Achievement in Film Editing.
Speaker 1: The cast is a Hella cast that is nominated throughout. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a hell love a performance and this when Sean Penn gives a memorable performance in this one. Teyana Taylor, who has been the darling really you could argue of the whole Awards season, picked up the Golden Globe. She is nominated as well. But Nicio del Toro is in this one as well as Regina Hall, playing a pretty memorable character as well. This one directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and Robes. This is the one, I guess you would have to argue this is it feels like the front runner.
Speaker 3: It does if only because of just that cast. Those names you just named. We're not just talking about any old actresses, a lot of famous names. These are accomplished, award winning actors on any movie.
Speaker 2: If they were just the only.
Speaker 3: Actor in a movie, you would watch probably or go to the theaters perhaps just to see one of those actors do their thing. You have all of them together in this film, and they are award winning performances, each and every one of them.
Speaker 2: I mean, that was the biggest takeaway.
Speaker 3: I just was impressed with the acting chops.
Speaker 2: Of all of these folks.
Speaker 3: Sean Pen you mentioned he really was a standout in terms of his performance.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 3: He almost always as memorable, I feel like, but he was exceptionally memorable in this film.
Speaker 1: This one did make money two hundred and nine million dollars at the box office. If you don't know, I wasn't exactly clear, I'll be honest with you, Robes, I wasn't in all the previews and all the buzz. If you would have asked me ahead of time before we saw it, what's the movie about.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: It's about one battle after another in a life of strife, in a life of standing up for what you believe in, perhaps in anarchy, you know it.
Speaker 2: There was this This was a heavy movie. I think that was what was hard for me.
Speaker 3: It was a heavy movie that was showing a really difficult life for a lot of characters trying to do good, trying to pursue what they believed in at all costs, despite what it cost them. But it was it was exhausting to watch, but also at the same time entertaining.
Speaker 1: Well, that didn't clear things up for you about what the movie's about. Here's the official synopsis, because I still I think to this day, if you asked me was it about, I would well, there's a guy, and I wouldn't exactly have it, But this is the synopsis. Bob is a washed up revolutionary who lives in a state of stoned paranoia, surviving off grid with his spirited and self reliant daughter Willa. When his evil nemesis resurfaces and Willa goes missing, the former radical scrambles to find her as both father and daughter battle the consequences of their past. It's a lot, it's heavy. This is based on what a book, right, I believe so?
Speaker 3: And look this, Like I said, the performances were incredible and half the time I was trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: Actually what was going on.
Speaker 3: And when we first started watching at Taana Taylor is just like this, She's jumping off the screen. How about when she was with her pregnant belly with a with a assault rifle. I mean, she is a badass in this film. And at first I thought, wait, how is she only nominated for Best Supporting Actress?
Speaker 2: But then you understand she goes away for a while.
Speaker 3: But the first I don't know, fifteen to twenty minutes, she is just the star of the show.
Speaker 4: You say she goes away a while, she goes away for good.
Speaker 2: She goes, Yes, her memory lives on.
Speaker 1: Not suggesting she dies. We're not giving anything away here, but I was a little surprised that Teiana Taylor was not in the movie as much as I was expected, as much as she was being talked about. Now it is rated R R R R. Yes, because some of the themes, not even the violence. At some of the stuff did we watch The Swissy beIN.
Speaker 3: We watched The Swiss Bean and I wasn't gonna say it unless you did.
Speaker 4: But looks, what about The Bad Parents.
Speaker 3: Look, I've been somebody who has absolutely exposed my children to rated our movies way before the age of seventeen.
Speaker 2: So yeah, she did watch it with us.
Speaker 4: What we fast forwarded at times? Oh my goods.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you fast forwarded through several scenes.
Speaker 3: That's the only tough thing about watching you rated our movie with a thirteen year old.
Speaker 2: You got to have the remote handy to fast forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you watch this with a child or someone you're concerned about their age, anytime you see Tayama Taylor and Sean Penn on the screen at the same time, you need fast forward through that.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yes, fast for you know.
Speaker 3: What, That's a really good pro tip for folks who have watched it and want to have family movie night, maybe leading up to the hospital, be warned.
Speaker 4: About this will be a different family night.
Speaker 2: It certainly is now rotten tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Look this is the critics gave it ninety four percent, audience eighty five percent, But look, some of that eighty five percent might have been the run time because I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: That's where I.
Speaker 3: Land on this, because look, the movie was great. I just I think it's really hard. I think it's really hard to hold.
Speaker 2: An audience's.
Speaker 3: Tension when you go past two hours and ten fifteen minutes, so you're at two hours and forty one minutes long movie. That is an epic movie in my humble opinion, And I would never I'll be truthful, if we weren't doing this movie review or this catchup for folks leading up to the Oscars. I don't think that I would have sat down to watch that ever, despite all of the buzz, I would have been slightly curious. And then when I saw the run time of two hours and forty one minutes, I would have said, Nah, that's just how.
Speaker 1: We are, and we don't want to take away from what is an excellent, an incredible and skill skillful movie that we saw pulled off. It would not robes you make that point. We have Before the Oscar thing even came up that we decided to do this, we talked over and over, you want to watch one battlet.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 1: Because we hear great things and it looks like an action movie don look like some boring film. Robes we never said okay, And the other part that goes with this, we still haven't seen Avatar too. That is such a good because of the length of them, Like, okay, that's an investment of time.
Speaker 4: We have to sit down and commit. That's just us. Other people go, hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see this, can't wait and die. But for us, it's just that runtime is exhausting and Robes, the themes in here are exhausting and heavy. How many days did it take us to watch this one?
Speaker 3: I believe we had to. We had to pick it back up a second day. This we have a four dayer, which we'll explain later. This one took us two days. But look this it was described. It was interesting because I was trying to figure out what the genre is and Wikipedia says it's a black comedy action thriller.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's a fair way to put it. I didn't get much comedy.
Speaker 1: Black comedy even and we watched black comedies dark comedy?
Speaker 4: Should say comedies does.
Speaker 2: Say black dark comedy dark? I think they meant to say dark.
Speaker 4: Because only you like black comedies. Anything with Kevin Hart, I love, No, No, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: But that's Wikipedia says it's a black comedy action thriller film.
Speaker 2: I didn't get I didn't I didn't remember laughing. I don't remember laughing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a funny line at all at all in that I'm trying to think of something comed Now, Leonardo DiCaprio was intense, and he was he There is some hilarity in the way he goes about sometimes in his movies being stressed out. I remember him from what's the the Gangster movie The U with Nick Jack Nichola.
Speaker 4: Why do I always do this?
Speaker 2: Try to come and I'm like, I'm so bad at recalling things. When you asked me on this.
Speaker 1: Depart he was stressed out in that movie.
Speaker 4: The way he's stressed out in this one. They're similar in a lot of ways. And sometimes he.
Speaker 1: Is so intense that there is something kind of comedic about his performance and make fun.
Speaker 2: Of it's so disturbing, it's comical.
Speaker 1: He stressed out, like he was on the phone in this movie at one point, just stressed out, and he's hilarious sometimes, So that part in the intensity that is all there, but rogues funny, like was there even a character that offers some comedicals.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: And Lo Bonicio del Toro, how was he in this one?
Speaker 2: He's not known for being funny.
Speaker 4: Oh he's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess the dark comedy that might be part of it. But look, I also want to say that I loved she didn't get an Oscar nod, but Chase Infinity, the daughter of who plays the daughter of well we won't say who.
Speaker 4: But she sold.
Speaker 2: I thought she did a phenomenal joke.
Speaker 3: But this was also a note And this speaks to why we're actually maybe even letting people in on this because yes, it did two hundred and nine million dollars in the box office, but it had a budget that was close to that. So this was the most expensive film of this director's career, and it definitely underperformed what they were hoping it would at the box office. But I really I think that two hours and forty one minutes was the reason why people wouldn't go like that. That is a huge investment in time on our Friday night or when people But.
Speaker 1: It got him how many Oscar nominations thirteen? Okay, that's all that matters. He's gonna work forever in Holly. Would you got thirty? He produced this film. If this movie would have been an hour forty five, yeah, maybe it'd have made more money but gotten fewer nominations.
Speaker 4: I don't know how that works, Robes.
Speaker 1: But this is a two hour and forty one minute movie that we struggled to watch with actors we love, absolutely adore.
Speaker 4: And we were tonight, oh not tonight.
Speaker 2: Nice, We were kicking the can.
Speaker 4: We were.
Speaker 1: However, we still will tell you watch it or skip it?
Speaker 4: Stay here all right?
Speaker 1: Movie number two on our list as we get through the cliff notes for you if you haven't watched them all, One Battle after another two hours and forty one minutes rated are Leonardo DiCaprio at the head of this one, also nominated for Best Director for Paul Thomas Anderson two hours and forty one minutes roped. It is a hell of a movie to behold. Would you recommend it? Watch it?
Speaker 4: Skip it?
Speaker 3: So this is me being honest, and I might be people might throsciade at me for saying this, but I would not recommend this.
Speaker 2: I think you. I mean, am I glad I watched it?
Speaker 3: I guess only because when watching the Oscars, I'll know what they're talking about. You know, so often you have Conan O'Brien or whoever the host is making funny, veiled references to the best picture films, and I hate feeling clueless about what he's referring to, so at least I'll be in the know. But short of that, just from a pure entertainment worth my time concept, I would say you could skip it. I don't know that I got anything that I'm taking with me from it, or that i'll remember dearly from it, or that I would ever want to rewatch it, how about you.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when we go out, we go you ask me how I liked the dish I have at a restaurant, and I'll say, you know what, I wouldn't order it again. And I would say that about this movie, I wouldn't order it again. But I would recommend you can't miss Sean Penn, I think lean. I would recommend the acting. I would recommend the like the movie making is kind of excellent in a way that you are you looking go, you really appreciate what you're watching. I recommend you have to watch it on the basis of this is well done and quality movie making. Do not watch this if you're looking to be to have a good Friday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I yes, And if you look I would recommend it if you're well rested and you watch it maybe early enough where you don't have the risk of going to sleep, because that is the full disclosure here.
Speaker 2: We did fall asleep.
Speaker 4: We fell asleep, as you said, two days on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we do not probably get no, not probably, we do not get the recommended allowance of sleep each night.
Speaker 2: So then you compound that at the end of.
Speaker 3: The week when you try to watch a two hour and forty one minute movie at starting at about seven eight o'clock at night, it's gonna have to be a riveting movie to keep us up.
Speaker 2: And so this one definitely lost us.
Speaker 3: We had to pick up where we left off and rewatched, and sometimes.
Speaker 2: I had to rewind because we didn't even know where we left off. I just think that needs to be noted.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna take this on, just make sure you're well rested and maybe have a caffeinated beverage with you.
Speaker 4: That's I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: This is not again a suggestion of right, it's almost like you do a review of a movie and then a review of a movie experience, and this movie should be reviewed with the highest marks as far as the movie experience. Maybe so, and again it's a different type of movie. Not to take anything away, this is excellent movie making. But for us, it was a struggle for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: It was one battle after another, staking away.
Speaker 4: To watch this.
Speaker 1: That's just us, all right. Yes, so this is movie number two on our list. Movie number three that's going to be next in the feed. Right next to this one will be F one, probably the most.
Speaker 4: Entertaining movie on the list that.
Speaker 1: We can't believe is on the list. We'll see you for the next one.