Speaker 1: Howard, my husband fell at a construction site. I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 2: It ain't and law. We're one of the largest filers of workers' compensation claims in the state. If you've been.
Speaker 3: Hurt on the job, in a car accident, or suffered a medical mistake, call three one two six million from your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello, folks, welcome to a special edition YouTube live for Socks Machine on the Foul Territory Network. I am Josh Nelson, as we have breaking news this Saturday night. The Chicago White Sox, first reported by Jeff Bassett at ESPN, later can firmed by Sox Machines Beat reporter James Vegan have acquired right handed starting pitcher Luis Castillo in a trade with the Seattle Mariners. The White Sox are sending relievers Sir Anthony Domingus, outfielder Nolan Jones, and catcher Boston Smith in return for the trade and joining me on this special edition YouTube live, which we haven't done in a while. Jents, it's Sox Machines beat reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolis, and we got breaking news. Jim, and you have a very interesting perspective because with you being in Nashville, you were watching Charlotte and Nashville reporting on that game for US, and you got a chance to experience hug Watch, but from a minor league perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a beautiful thing when you see it unfold in front of you. But it was weird because on with these six game series, I have to remember what game was which Eric Has's debut. He left the game in the eighth inning after grounding out, and there was an awkward pause where Jonathan Cannon had nobody to warm up to as he came out to the mound, Chad Pinder, the managers and the dugout trying to figure out who's supposed to come in. He calls in Corey Lee from the bullpen to catch the inning, and so I text James like, Eric Hash just left the game, not sure if this is anything, and it turns out that he had deaderation. I talked to Has the next day. He said that he was ground out the third then came back, dug out, had a bar for a few times. Must have been something he ate and he was back in the lineup the next day. So watching tonight and seeing in the middle of the inning Chad Pinder come jogging to the umpire to inform him about a change, and I'm looking and I'm seeing like, well, Ryan Glaney's in the box, he's not moving. I looked to rikoon a sheet at first base. He's got his arm around on Hell Rosario, first base coach, and also the Nashville first baseman I think is Brock Wilkin. He's just like standing at first base with his arm around both shoulders, and so I'm looking at him, thinking, oh, is riku Delta? Is he on the move? Is he coming up? As Pinder is going with his lineup card talking to the umpire, And then Pinder returns to the third base box and nobody moves. But then I see Corey Lee once again come back to the on deck circle, and so I see that was Nolan Jones's spot, and so I, uh text James said, like, no one, Nolan Jones just had a game stopping departure. I think maybe uh, and you know, didn't really see any of the activity yet. Uh, and so he said, is this you know, should we Textianish about it?
Speaker 1: Like? Well? Then?
Speaker 5: And then I saw Hiro irie Arte shake hands with Pinder as he's leaving the clubhouse, like wait, is erie Arte going? Is he's just done for the day, because sometimes when pitchers are done for the day, they just go to the clubhouse. But the handshake was where it's I'm like on HI alert trying to figure out who's moving. And then I see Jones come h actual hug watch hugging people in the dugout. And then he goes across as he's going to the tunnel, which is on the third base side, giving a couple hugs on the Nashville side, Like, oh, okay, that's something big. And I would not expect Nolan Jones, who has acquired for international money, to be the person who would trip you tip me off to something happening, because I didn't really factor him into any moves. But yeah, sure enough. You know, James starts checking into it and then passing breaks it and that's how it all played out tonight.
Speaker 4: And James, you just recently wrote the recap, which if you are just finding out now, White Sox fans, you can read as far as that trade recap on soxmachine dot com, so James you wrote in the recap and as far as your sources within the White Sox, the White Sox with this trade for Luis Castillo or trying to thread the needle, can you explain from a White Sox ration now why it's Louis Castillo that they targeted to add to their starting rotation?
Speaker 6: All right, was in juifs muted because he's controllable. He's signed through the end of next year. There's a vestine option in his contract for twenty twenty eight. I think if it pitches one hundred and eighty innings, so he's still throwing hard and he has thirty three. But in the idea like this is a multi year solution to your rotation. Just last year he like threw one hundred and eighty innings of like mid three era ball for me, like he's like he's his fast balls are getting hit a little bit, but like also like his sliders just to find it like declining with rate. There's multiple things that you're like, all right, what's their plan for kind of arresting the guy who's in his career, worst season right now, but clearly still talented in some way. For me, The biggest thing that jumps out I was like, this guy once had like one of the most like devastating changeups in the game and has gone to Seattle. It's become slowly like this more and more like distant fourth pitch in his arsenal, not saying necessarily like Castillo fits the mold of like give a super or a kick change or you know, an alternative change up in some way necessarily, but like clearly to believe this guy's like a multi year solution in your rotation, you have to think, like there's some method of restoring like his change up to be like what it was at the very least, like getting a slider like back to like being a thirty percent like misrate pitch, whereas in the twenties.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, that that has to happened too.
Speaker 6: But like, if you're really believing this and putting resources to this, I would think you have a plan for you know, fixing the change up in some way. That said, like as far as threading the needle, demingez like I certainly thought you looked bad. I like certainly is outing on Saturday uh in Tampa was like the best he's done, you know, probably in this whole stretch. I've like his statistically been better the last ten outings, but like that was the first one really kind of authoritative through the inning rather than like kind of getting through it or showing you flashes or something. But obviously in falling out of your leverage mix, he's part of like the salary costs probably be more pallatable. This sucks like they are taking on money with you know, Guesdo making twenty two point seventy five million, you know whatever the pro rated amount for the rest of this year and next is. But sir Anthony, you are getting like the ten millions out next year off the books and you know whatever the rest of the season is. So that's that's definitely part of it. Boston Smith. It's it's almost feels like there's a little bit of sense of like found money and not necessarily that makes them like less valuable or anything like that.
Speaker 2: But he was someone who.
Speaker 6: Wasn't necessarily like all right, when we were thinking about what the White Sox core is or who the future thing is, you know, certain positions are we were probably just getting our heads around like where Boston Smith would fit into that. It's more of the idea of like this is a good bat, it's coming through the system, he could help in some ways, and even just it's funny because Paul Donnis was doing a availability today pregame. You know, it's mostly about draft assignents, but I asked about Boston Smith, like do you get to this point where he's a little bit raw in terms of catching reps, but he's now already bashed his way to double A and he's his older prospect, you know, you just he kind of differentiated a lot from my my cop which was called pro sec of like this guy who's a catching prospect, you know, could stick behind the plate, but his bat's probably going to axcel him across, you know, much faster. Is Smith kind of similar? And he said, like it's different in a lot of ways. But he also said, like, ultimately, I think like Smith can be a good left fielder and the fact that he's catching is gonna be privit of his versatility, which is like a different profile, and like this guy's for sure on the plate and like he's you know, possibly gonna hit thirty zo minor league home runs in his first pro season. If that's a full time catching prospect, like that's a different than like clin of value. Add So if you view this guy's like kind of an interesting, you know, bat with some versatility but not necessarily your blank guy in the future at some premium position. And then you have Nolan Jones, who they acquired a you know, a cash dealer in the year, who's you know, kind of minor league depth, especially left handed. That's not something that I have immediate need for that. But like we didn't we didn't trade Caleb Bonhamer. We didn't trade like some big feet piece of the future core, and we have someone who is going to start for multiple years, proven playoff starter, and with that, this is the whole thing of like you got to get Louis Castillo to no longer pitch like he's having the worst year of his career, just the small detail of that, and then it becomes a pretty good value add.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did get this comment from Benjamin. I'm really hoping they see something to fix in Luis this year because he's been dreadful. Signed a Luis Castillo fancy baseball owner. Best of luck, Benjamin, I think from a White Sox perspective. I think we're all hoping, Jim, that the White Sox can find something or maybe just joining this White Sox club house, because this is something that we spoke about in our previous episode that we just recorded yesterday when I was pitching. You trade ideas, Jim, like, if you bring in a Robbie Ray coming in from the San Francisco Giants, does that give him a bump in performance? If you went after and got someone like re Debt Merse who's been pitching really well, and now Debt Merse is not on an Angels team that's struggling, could that give him a boost in production? Could Luis Castillo, proven veteran starting pitcher that has started post season games, could he find a second wind with the White Sox.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the non rental angle of this, Uh, you know, Ray being a rental Ray going you know, theoretically back on the market after a boost. You know, That's that's one thing for Castillo. I mean, there could be a boost here because you know, with his struggles with Seattle having a crowded rotation, he's you know, they've tried some alternate arrangements with them, piggybacking, and uh, he hasn't been happy with it, like he's uh it seems like he's used to being a workhorse, uh, you know, as the modern day workhorses go, and it seemed like, I guess his underperformance he got just dissatisfaction and uh he needed more runway or perhaps more room than the Mariners are willing to give him. So that's a case where there is a bounce back potential here. It's just the risk of you know, talking about Robbie Ray and saying, well, you know, the road splits are kind of scary, and if he comes to Chicago and it's not good, then you're maybe missing out an upgrade. But then again, you're paying a rental price and he's out at the end of the year if he's a bad fit or it just doesn't quite work in Chicago as opposed to Oracle Park, and you can move on and at least for the season. For the remaining two months, you signaled to your clubhouse and your fan base that you try to do something with the resources you had. And so I think with Castillo, you know, if you're a rental and they paid more of a rental prices I think this is high for a rental, then you would say kind of the same thing of just well, you know he's it's not so long ago that he was a very valuable starter, and it could be one tweak and it could be just a change of scenery that helps. It's just that if it doesn't work out, then you have a big contract on the books for next year, and you better hope that's Chris Katz or Jerry Reinsdorf, Brooks Boyer. They have some revenue ideas in mind to be able to spend past it. If it is like acquiring an Andrew benintendee for the rotation in the way that like the White Sox struggled to spend around the Andrew benin tende inefficiency.
Speaker 1: There is one place to be on Trede deadline day watching Foul Territory of course. A J. Perdinski, Aeric Kratz and Scott Brown will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 4: Here's a great revenue idea. Sign go to talk about commy to a contract extension. Get that sweet sweet money from Japanese sponsors, and that can maybe pay for Luis Gesto. I'm I'm joking, but I'm also not joking. I think we would all love to see a Murkami contract extension. But let's take a look as far as in this contract again for Castillo, and yeah, you do need him to pick it up, Jim, because there could be the risk of like a Gene Shields type of albatross contract in which the best outcome that you can get if he doesn't pick up his play is well, we're comfortable having him pitch five innings every fifth day. We're confident that he'll give us one hundred and fifty innings. Where there's a lot of questions right now in the back end of the rotation. But I think what you're really hoping for with Castillo is that he does bounce back and because of his postseason experienced, Jim, that you would like him to maybe be part of the equation. If the White Sox can outlast Cleveland and Minnesota, maybe Luis Castillo could start a postseason game. I'm assuming that is the line of thinking here for the White Sox and acquired Castillo as far as like best outcome for this is that he does bounce back and we're perfectly fine sliding him behind Sean Burke and Davis Martin.
Speaker 5: When you mentioned postseason though, you know, looking through some quick Castio research trying to figure out exactly what his present state was, it seemed like some of the I mean, like it wasn't bad necessarily. There was one bad start, like his last start was bad Game four of the Alcs, but like Alds was a little bit wobbly. He walked four and four and two third scoreless innings, like he wasn't quite He did pick up a win out of the bullpen in Game five, the fourteenth inning, so like he did do that, So that's useful. But just like the last start, I think reading through it was kind of the start of the worries about Castillo, and so yeah, you have it both ways, like he's had good starts in the postseason. It is just one outing. It just happened to you hit my ear funny in terms of having just read abouts it was, Yeah, it all started last October, and who knows if that was actually true, but it's it's been or you know how much I factored in, But it is a case where you know, you know, I'm looking at a Mariner's fat a fan in the comments right now saying that you know, Cassillo has been tough to watch, and just like if there if a Mariners fan and trying to picture it from a third party, how to Mariner's fan or media received this trade. I'm thinking, well, if they've watched him pitch poorly all year and he had to have the clunker, like they might be laughing at anybody in Chicago trying to talk themselves into you know, veteran presence of stabilizing presence. So yeah, he is a little bit of a mystery here, just in terms of how sticky the struggles are and whether he could rebound in time to provide value for the rest of the season, for October potentially, and then for next season since he is under contract.
Speaker 4: And in our previous episode, when I was pitching trade ideas James, I was trying to come up with a way that the White Sox could acquire reed debt mers. But I don't think that's going to be part of the case now and involving that was my idea of Billy Carlson and Hagen Smith. But it seems like the White Sox frunt office. Let's just start from this perspective, they are trying to protect and not move any of their top prospects, right, like any one of their top five they're trying to hold on to. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 6: Sure, I guess that would fit the definition of what they put out there of just like, oh, we're trying to prioritize our future.
Speaker 2: We're trying to really keep the sustainable. We're trying to not let the.
Speaker 6: Immediate needs of the team like over shadow like what we're trying to build in.
Speaker 2: Terms of priority.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's an argument that like they can't trade three other five top prospects because like that's not allowed until after the World Series, and then the other one is Caleb Bonhamer, and then you could say, like, uh, our fifth is Brady Montgomery and he's already up like so like that's yeah, it's pretty true, and just in terms of like not Bonomer, but but certainly what they've been signaling is trying to one either not sacrifice the future for kind of today or short term things or to like what they're basically you know, hoping this trade pulls off.
Speaker 2: Is doing both.
Speaker 6: Where you're all right, this team is you know, good right now. Un Thus you assume they're gonna be good next year and you're adding a piece that kind of contributes to that and maybe even the year after, and not taking away from like what you had yet to view or started to view as like this is you know the way, I don't think Boston Smith has hit extraordinarily well this year, like an incredible you know, increase in value from the start of the season. You probably haven't thought to like, well, this is who plays first base if Mariacami leaves the free agency and maybe like someone like Bonhamer or you know, does other offensive options, don't I don't know, maybe have taking a more realistic place in that your future considerations.
Speaker 2: Smith is a chief just at this point now.
Speaker 4: We did get a question in the comments section, which thank you to everyone if you're listening to the recording of this. This was our first chance to go live under the foul Territory Network. So I'm so grateful for everybody to jump in and watch as far as the live stream. Let me bring up as far as this question here, and this question comes from Justin, and Justin is asking what is the chance the White Sox swing a move for a higher upside rental starter as well? I like the potential upside playoff experience and ability to eat innings. But who throws in a short series? So that's two and one, James, Let's try to address question number one. It's Jose Erkidi and Eric cos. We talked about that very minor moves, but now with Luis Castillo, is this it for the White Sox or could they possibly pull off another move?
Speaker 6: I mean they still want a catcher. I think that's still a pressing issue. Kyle Teal is still taking defensive drills with his walking boot on, which he says is very helpful because it stabilizes his ankle and keeps them from pivoting in the way that you know you'd worry about giving his sprain, but you know, reflects that he's not necessarily close. And you know, Edgar Carroll's looked better of recent Timo had a.
Speaker 2: Hit the other night.
Speaker 6: They have said that they want to get a catcher, and you know, even like Noah Schultz having a good start and Eric Petty and no A Schultz having good starts here in Tampa clearly didn't sway them away from doing this. So I don't think they've been swayed out of what they're trying to add to their catching depth. You know, certainly kind of a more credible kind of guy to throw out there on a regular basis stel Teal comes back. Until then, they would still like to add relief help some degree, Like even if they're making this move, they're not calling up Hagan Smith and Taran McDougal from what I've been told, So clearly don't view that it's quite ready or a sure thing yet at this point. So fair to say, maybe less of a priority now that you've put these resources, Maybe more of a priority now you've traded to Anthony de Mingez, guy who may be falling out of your trust, but you know, certainly someone who's threw hard and had postseason experience. These are still elements. Starting Pitcher was far and away like the most pressing need and something that you couldn't really wrap your mind into saying like they had an acceptable alternative that they canterrito a house the way you came with the bullpen, probably less so with catcher. You know, even if Caro and Romo I've had, you know, decent starts. This one series that I'm currently at.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the Seattle Mariner fans being in the chat as well. We greatly appreciate your guys' perspective because obviously you've seen a lot more Luis Castillo than we have. This is from Nicholas Castillo. Be great with the White Sox young starting pitchers. And again this is just not for twenty twenty six. This is also for twenty twenty seven and then vesting option in twenty twenty eight. So as far as future roster constructed for the Chicago White Sox, it's Sean Berg, Davis mar and Luis Castillo. The White Sox sill have another year the d K. This does give the White Sox some buffers, well Jim if they cannot figure out what to do with Hagen Smith or if Tanner McDougal is better suited in the bullpen. Noahs Schultz looked really strong as well. So we mentioned in our last podcast the White Sox are one starting pitcher injury away from just absolute chaos and some real trouble. And with adding Lewis Castillo not only for this year but for future seasons, they've given themselves some depth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and looking at the free agents for next year, a lot of familiar names, like there's in terms of where the White Sox would be shopping. And if you think of this with them trading Domingas, what's it like a one year, fifteen million dollars deal when doing the math for subtracting diminga's a salary from what's owed to Castillo. If you're looking for a picture on that kind of contract, they're all roughly comparable. Like maybe like Shane Bieber would be somebody the White Sox could go after if they were interested in that. But you know, it's all we've seen the White Sox have to shop on this tier before. So yeah, they are investing a certain amount for some stability, some veteran presence, somebody that's you know, I think if it all works out well enough to where he's at least serviceable, somebody the White Sox don't have to necessarily baby or have to figure out like an opener for or have to you know, lift after five innings nighty pitches. They would like them to offer a bit more. But yeah, it's you would like it to be a little bit less of a project. I think to be somebody who stabilizes it. Like there is a possibility that he is that guy, that he crosses one thing off the list for next year and the White Sox can go about, you know, marshaling the resources for greater positions of need or at least one bigger upside swing. But yeah, just some question marks are there that he has to answer first.
Speaker 4: So we did get this question in the comments section about Sir Anthony Domingus and him being involved in this deal, and that comes from I belong to Halo. I'm a little surprised that the White Sox traded away Dimingus. I thought relief pitching was also a need for them trading away relief that's been in the major leagues already. In Dimingus James, as you've been pointing out recently, has been throwing better for the White Sox out of the bullpen. James, are you surprised that the White Sox traded Syrante Dimingus away.
Speaker 6: I mean, I didn't like think like they necessarily were going to purge him at any moment, the sort of thing. But in terms of like reacting to this, like it makes sense. For one, it's like such a big part of the salary being a bit like they're taking on salary which is still new and novel for the White Sox, but it's not just adding twenty two million dollars to the payroll like whole cloth. So them doing this like makes sense in terms of that that Sir Anthony had been trending up rather than it's just like a purely dump like is you always kind of figure it out, like well how are they kind of if they're seeing like the Mariners put starters on the market and thinking like would the socks be a mix of it? The way like to try to figure out, like, well how is it? How would they line up? Is like how do they give something that technically helps them in the now, like how to to win now? Teams kind of trade with each other like this. In terms of major league pieces, it would be someone who kind of had fallen out of the mix in some way like this, who's you know, still looks viable, still looks like, you know, still definitely has the stuff of a high leverage guy on a contender, but clearly is going to have a difficult path to returning to what the White Sox originally tended him forth, like the guy who stabilizes the bullpen, not just a member of the mix per se. And like as much as he looked good on Saturday and you know has put together good results out of his last ten games, we just watched this Yankee series where they basically went to anyone but him, and extreme circumstances like Chris Murphy worked five appearances in seven days before Sir Anthony walked out of that bullpen. They got through the game on Wednesday with Grant Taylor getting seven outs for the first time all season. You had Jordan Hicks, I think that was three out of four when he came out. There was at least back to back days or want to be back to back days with Brian Hudson, like they were not turning to him very willingly, like he had not he was only starting to maybe work his way back. And I think you could see him, you know, pitch on Saturday and be like that, Sir Anthony mingez. Yes, we know that command comes and goes, but like that looks like the same stuff, same healthy guy. He can help our mariatis bullpen, but he's obviously not coming on to be the closer there. He's someone who's kind of, you know, offsetting salary. And I think it's a different context, so it's not shocking in terms of like if they trained Grant Taylor for Luis Castello, I'd be like still wrapping my head around it. So even though I didn't, like, you know, have some hint on the way he was walking out of the park today, this is what's going down. I think it makes much. It's much easier to wrap your head around than almost anyone else on the roster as far as, like, you know, other than like the idea that they could replace Ben and Tendy if they dump someone's salary like that, like someone who is like paid above like they're contributing, they're a part of the team, but they're probably paid above what like their the centrality of their role is right now, And I think Domingas fits that Bill.
Speaker 4: Jim getting a chance to watch Charlotte is either Hagen Smith or Tanner McDougall. Are they ready to go to join the White Sox bullpen to replace Sarandy Domingos.
Speaker 5: Well, they both pitched today. McDougall pitched after Jones left the game, so he's not going to be coming immediately if you're asking along those lines. But yeah, Smith, I think is close. Like he's looked really good this series. He had the rough outing his first one back from the IL, but since he's been nails throwing strikes, cutter looks really good. If they were to call him up first of those two, I wouldn't be surprised. McDougall, his stuff looks good as well. It just the control is a little looser, especially at the slider. When the slider is close, it gets some ugly swings. But there are a lot of or there have been some non competitive ones, some quick walks that he's able to pitch around like he's talented enough to do it. But if you're looking for somebody to have more polish, it looks like Smith is leading in that a little bit. Both are going through the paces though in terms of different assignments. Like Smith just came in in the middle of an inning for the first time. Phase one batter got him out. He was done for the day, which made me think like, oh, maybe Smith's coming up if they just limited to one inning after this trade's going there, one batter after this trade's going down. But I think it's more just trying to pitch on back to back days, pitch the of an inning, have fresh innings, work some high leverage, like there's a I think there's a checklist we saw with Grant Taylor last year where they wanted him to do a whole bunch of things that relievers have to do to see how he responded afterwards, and I think it was like nine appearances or something like that he checked off all the boxes. He was in Chicago. He hasn't been back, so I think they're kind of doing the same thing right now with Smith and McDougall. But I think of those two, Smith looks a lot closer to having his major league pitch mix all o her control.
Speaker 4: So Castillo last pitched on Tuesday. It is his spot in the rotation on Sunday, James. They're not disrupting Anthony K. It's still Anthony K tomorrow at twelve forty for I have to imagine with the travel and everything, Castilla would not be able to pitch. But there could be a real chance that we see Luis Castillo make us first start with the White Sox in Boston against the Red Sox.
Speaker 6: I would imagine it has not been clarified. I haven't been able to clarify like who's getting bumped or shifted out of the rotation.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a bit soon. I understand that.
Speaker 2: They're still working through it.
Speaker 6: And like we're still trying to figure out what like when Castillo is like king to talk to media and all that. But yeah, you would think that you're trying to throw him into the fire right away.
Speaker 2: That's a tough test. I mean, boss is not like killing the ball.
Speaker 6: They're more just like you know, pitching out of their minds. It's more just like it's the road is tough environments and other playoffs. It's a hot team, and you know, you wonder like especially if he's doing you to a new org and you're kind of like, maybe you know, any org when they acquire any arm has some tweak in mind. Does it take a day or two or not day or two start or two week or two maybe a month to start seeing the best version of him versus obviously I work in the news business for a bit. Now he's going to be judged pretty sharply based off the first impression, I would assume, so could get in interesting in that aspect, you'd have to think, like, yeah, this is what he's here for.
Speaker 2: Some provide innings. The bullpen has been.
Speaker 6: Taxed, you know, even even like good starts from Eric Fetti and Noah Schultz this weekend in Tampa both saw them get pulled at five innings without like really much consideration of going past that. Like Schultz pitch con wives can kind of kept going. Fetti like had just crossed the first hit or the third time through the order, which they basically just not let him do, and like they've been winning. They've been really like I think they win the last five Fetti starts, like they have a plan that they execute with him in that they're they've been really good at. It's just it's a it's a resource laden plan and either you can't kind of both have that, and Schultz like having outings where he goes threes in the third and it's like super sustainable, and so I think they're trying to address that. But obviously if Louis Castillo comes in and he's ineffective, it's hard to get through six innings.
Speaker 2: Being ineffective.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's an interesting needle they're going to be threading or trying to thread.
Speaker 4: All right, So the white Socks have Luis Castillo. That's one item off the shopping list, Jim, I guess the next position that we should be looking at is cat Sure is that right, James? Or could the whites? Are the white Socks still part of the starting bitching market trying to add another starter before the deadline.
Speaker 2: I'd be surprised.
Speaker 4: I mean I would be surprised to you after this move.
Speaker 6: I mean, like I think, like scouts have said, like rental prices could be reasonable. I just think, like if you're really trying from what like everyone's talking about, like what an extreme sellers market's going to be, how difficult it's been, how few sellers there are, and like the fact that like two of the sellers are in the al central, Like you're not going to get the Louis Castillo equivalent from like the Tigers or Royals necessarily, I mean certainly not the Royals, who seem reticent to trade.
Speaker 2: Lugo and waka at all.
Speaker 6: It's seem like it's asking a lot for them to get two starters out of this, this situation that said they obviously didn't like fence, like amazing essential assets from this. I think if you're viewing it as like they're not trying to trade their top tid prospects, I think they've accomplished that. It's just that we're seeing that in terms of like a little bit of the risks they're they're taking on. But this, this really fits the bill of what they said they're looking for. You would think that, like anything more of this would be smaller in scale, even if you know there is another like depth or multi inning option out the ad.
Speaker 4: Jim, are you planning to be watching Charlotte and Nashville tomorrow for possible more hug watch?
Speaker 5: Sure, it is a night game, Like Nashville doesn't have getaway days. They play all their games at nights. I think to maximize attendance. I wonder if that irks visiting teams when they have to leave get on the bus at you know, nine thirty ten o'clock on a Sunday night to head home. But yeah, i'd wonder if you know, anything would happen before. But yeah, I will be watching. I will make sure i'm when I'm not shooting photos that I'm on the side where I can look into the Charlotte dugout to see what's happening, because this time I had to kind of scramble over the other side to get a look in terms of who's leaving, who's hugging, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But it is fun.
Speaker 5: I will say, you know, gotten some comments about Boston Smith and the chat about like his numbers, and I will miss him in the system just because he is. It's just fascinating in terms of the story, in terms of the production, kind of out of nowhere. And the thing that jumps out to me is, yeah, I talked to him a couple of times. Very pleasant guy to talk to you and gives good answers in terms of, you know, how he approaches it his game, et cetera. But when I saw his power numbers and he has twenty two homers and seven doubles this year and he's a catcher, I thought, like, you know, he's got to be slow. He's got to be a plotter who uh just swings some fences. And he's actually kind of fast, at least for a catcher, Like he's got decent speed. And it turns out that his swing, and he talked about is just like perfectly angled basically to generate these balls that float over the right field fence. And he's not really somebody who has these like line drives that split the gap or anything like that. He says, when you know, he hits doubles, it's more mishits like off the end of the bats kind of hooks them down the right field line into the corner. And that's why he has three triples to seven doubles, because that's the way that extra base contact goes. So it's a really fasting profile, especially at the catching, which you know, I talked to some people about, you know, around White Sox affiliates that he's with, and they felt like it's possible. You know, he's just raw because he barely played at the right States. He's athletic enough to play other positions when there were other catchers who could only catch, and so he's asked to play a lot, including shortstop at one time. So they said, yeah, he's got you know, he's got some potential. He made strides in terms of his receiving numbers over the course of his time with the White Sox, but he's also not playing all that much behind the plates, and he wasn't sharing time with catching prospects. That made me think like, well, if he was really a catching prospect, they'd be catching more than half the time. So it made me wonder like, is you know, do they want other guys behind the plate because his game calling kind of affects pitching prospects and they want to make sure that they kind of split everybody starts with more experienced catchers versus somebody who's coming along. You know, the game calling was a work in progress, so you know, when it comes to like judging his damage, it's a very specific, peculiar kind of damage that I wanted to continue seeing just to see how it played out because you don't see this profile very often. And then with the catching, like well is he a catcher? Cause they're kind of saying one thing, but they're kind of playing him in another way. And I think quotes today kind of tilted more towards like he's somebody who can catch, which is nice, but maybe not somebody we want to dedicate a pitching staff to. It made me think like, well, he's not really if he were more of a catcher of a future or a catcher of a future a catcher in a mix. I don't know if he'd be thrown in for this kind of deal.
Speaker 6: He made him sound like power hitting like instead of like he made him sound like Cooper Ingle. But I just I thought if I hijacked the scrum he was in to make a cross organization comp at the other beat writers would never forgive me.
Speaker 2: But like in terms of like.
Speaker 6: Ingles like hit tool for oriented and like Smith's you know, extreme power oriented, so like but this kind of like, oh he could catch, but you know he's probably in terms of like if he cracks a roster, he's the majority of his at bats are coming to the left fielder. If he's really hitting, like it's not because he's like taking your full time catcher rapsis he bashes his way in his line up, your lineup, he's a regular left field rather than like he's your everyday catcher necessarily at least.
Speaker 2: For a while.
Speaker 6: Like, I don't know if there's many examples of like this type of like I'm thinking of Kyle Schwarber as like someone like, oh he's a catching prospect, but he clearly just hit his way up here are there great examples of guys like that who have then slowly on the major league level played catcher enough that they became a full time catcher. I think I could think of someone, but recent examples aren't easily coming to mind.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll see how it works out from Seattle's perspective, of course, we're we'll hear more as far as how Luis Castillo fits into the starting rotation. Again, this is our live reaction. We really appreciate everybody watching our first YouTube live episode since joined the foul Territory Network. And before we sign off here, I thought this is an interesting question because now again the deadline is Monday, August third, at five pm Central Time. Foul Territory will be live from twelve pm to five pm. Ken Rosenthal, A J. Prasinski, Aeric Krat, Scott Braun will be covering as far as all the latest, So if you're looking for something to watch for those five hours leading up to the deadline, go to YouTube dot com search foul Territory you can watch that live stream. But before we sign off on this live stream, we did get this question from Arilio, and Arelio was asking do you think the White Sox would trade another bullpen arm or two with Hagensmith, Tanner, McDougal and Drew Thorp possibly being up soon. James, do you think the White Sox could leverage even more of their current relievers in upcoming deals before Monday's deadline?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I like someone else who kind of quite occupies the space that like Domingas does. You can make an argument for Hicks, but you are trying to win, and your bullpens not thin, but not deep beyond what you've already done to it. I think that maybe probably being a step too far in terms of taking away from your immediate depth in a big way. Like maybe if someone is like really enraptured by like Trevor Richards in a way, but I think he's already probably over performing what your what value you've extended to him as is, and you know, something that he's been talked about a lot is like how available is so I think in terms of like innings coverage, maybe he's not like the top three guys you think of a like let's handle high leverage situation, but I think he'd be kneecapping you know, Will Lennable a bit more than that, and even initially appears not you've already taken away, Sir Anthony. I think you've already kind of made it, like Smith and McDougal really need to become pieces here or you know, somebody else. You know, I'll never get off the Zach Franklin trade train all the way. But like I think you're already having picked away. Like this is what I'm saying, is like you already need someone up from Triple A to kind of come up and you know, be reliable in some way. Maybe it's not Bobby Jenks and the Closer as you win in the World Series, but like someone else who can figure into this mix in some way. I think you already need that now to happen more than you did while I was enjoying my sandwich in my hotel room two hours ago.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 4: The joys of covering baseball, especially at the trade deadline. Well, we'll see what the White Sox do next, and if they do make any other trades again, you could be able to read that work on soxsmachine dot com, follow us on social media. James is still in Tampa. He'll be covering the series finale between the White Sox and Raised for us again. That's first pitches at twelve forty pm Central Time. Follow us on all the social media platforms at sox Machine, follow James at j R. Vegan, you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh, and for all those that are watching the YouTube live as far as this live stream, hit the subscribe button. We'll have future videos and more breakdowns. As far as what this Luis Custio trade means, recapping the Ray series in our upcoming podcast episode, and if the White Sox make any other trades, especially on Sunday and Monday, we'll fire up the live stream machine once again. I'll be Jim and I as James, will be on another live stream on Monday, but we'll have more coverage up to the deadline and we'll break it when the White Sox make any of the moves. But alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis, I'm Josh Nelson. Thank you so much for watching the special edition Sox Machine Live episode. As the Chicago White Sox have made the trade with the Seattle Mariners to acquire right handed starting pitcher Luis Castillo,