Speaker 1: Every day a week ago.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club, you don't finish. Y'all done.
Speaker 1: More than everybody is. D j Envy just hilarious.
Speaker 3: Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club. Lalla Roses here as well. We got a special guest in the building, my god from far Rockaway Queens, Ladies and gentlemen, Steve Madden.
Speaker 1: Welcome morning, it could be here.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to be here. I'm such a big fan of the show and fan of you guys and girls, whatever and and so you got to take it easy on me because it's very early.
Speaker 5: You can't say whatever too, because you don't know what people identify as. You can't say boy.
Speaker 4: Ten mistakes and I've been here for four seconds. You know, girls and boys do that a lot. I say, well, this girl really has a lot of talent. I'm talking about someone in my company. And then I'll correct myself. This woman has you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Lean this person.
Speaker 4: You know I should say I do want to be better?
Speaker 2: What about the people who transitioned in your company?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, we have a few. It's I think it's great. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's fine who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm done with it now. It's the first time Steve has been on the show. So when we have somebody that's been on the show and as successful as you, we always like to start.
Speaker 1: From the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, So of course you're from Queens, New York. What got you getting? Got you into shoes and women's shoes and apparil? What got you into that?
Speaker 4: I want to tell you. So we're on the border. I was born in Fireroquay. We moved to the Five Towns, which is right across.
Speaker 1: The border, right right through Snake Rope.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm from a town called Lawrence, and I went So what got me is I went to work in a shoe store in high school. I didn't have anybody in my family in the shoe business, and I just went. I was a stock boy. I mean it's you know, sweeping the basement. And so that's how I learned, you know, And I did a lot of different jobs in the shoe business and worked my way up.
Speaker 3: What made you want to start designing shoes and saying, you know what, I can do this better than the shoe designers that are out at the time.
Speaker 1: So that takes a lot of balls.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'll tell you what happened. So, uh So I worked for company in the eighties and I was a salesman. You know, I just take the bag and go out the stores boom, and you know, you have a sample bag and you show them samples and then you know, so at that time, the the designers for this company, it was like nineteen eighty six, they were fighting with the there was like fight. So I snuck into the factory and I made a few shoes and it wasn't you know, it's like put that on that bottom, let's try that moccasin in that color. And I started slowly, you know, learning how to do that and trying to very similar to the music business, try to make hits. You know, I always compare myself to that, because that's what my business is like, is hits, you know, as opposed to a big canvas of artwork and trying to sell shoes. You know, I'm trying to make shoes that all the girls want.
Speaker 6: What made you so you were? You started selling shoes at the trunk of your.
Speaker 7: Car, like like like an artist was so the CDs out the trunk of his car, and you started your company with eleven dollars.
Speaker 4: This is true, not made up. But I thought I made it up. He told the story so many times. But yeah, I started with whatever money I had, you know, and made a couple of deals along the way, and you know, we put cases in the car, drive over there, collect the money, chase people for money. I did all of that.
Speaker 1: What made you not go high end?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Because you could have went the Gucci route, the Louis Vuitton route shoes that are way too expensive, but you're known for making shoes that are affordable people can afford, and that are great qualities.
Speaker 1: So what made you stay that?
Speaker 4: I was always into, you know, making shoes that everybody could buy. And and so that's just what I liked, you know. And you have to be very patient to be in the high end business. It requires a lot of very very very hard to do. I admire those guys, you know, and but that's what I do. I like to make it quick, sell it. I'm a little bit of a pirate, you know what I mean. And you know that's what my talent was.
Speaker 6: And the breakthrough shoot was the.
Speaker 4: Mary Lou, The Mary Lou, which is in that movie The Well for Wallston. If you have to get to see that movie we did and classic it is, it is. It's a good movie. I was very afraid when it came out. I was like, I didn't know how I would be portrayed, you know, And but it was pretty accurate. And I went there's a scene where I go there and and tell these you know, rapacious brokers about the Mary lou As if they gave a shit about it. You know, they just want to make And they started throwing shoes at me and doing all this shit and calling me names. And but that's how I started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how much of your success came from just pure confidence?
Speaker 4: Zero?
Speaker 2: Okay? You know what came from eagle?
Speaker 4: No? I mean you know, you go, I mean you guys know you're successful guys. You know some days you're confident and some days you're you feel like the worst. And that's how I am. You know, it could be an hour to hour thing. I'm on top of the world, my chest is out, let's go, and then I'm like, oh shit, I'm the worst. You know, you know I can't do it, you know that kind of thing. So I have those things and it has not gone away.
Speaker 2: Sadly, a point where confidence became arrogant.
Speaker 4: I'm too insecure. I suppose that people would argue and say, I am arrogant sometimes, and I'm really not. I'm very sort of you know, I wish I was Actually I kind of wish I was that guy.
Speaker 6: What makes your insecure?
Speaker 4: No, you know, you just think that someone's got better shoes or bigger muscles, more money or whatever it is. You know, it's just those moments.
Speaker 6: It'sition you could but we're not.
Speaker 8: So before meeting you right now, every time I've ever seen you, like photos of you with like celebrities who do jobs with you or whatever, you always struck me as a very like I'm here and I know I'm here.
Speaker 4: Typically, yeah, well, fake it till you make it, you know what I mean. We call it acting as if right, So if you do that enough, then you begin to believe it. Sort of. I found that to be true, but it's certainly not the case.
Speaker 2: And you had had to be a point where you knew you arrived.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I had it my first storing soho that was great.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, business getting bigger, more money in the bank, you know kind of stuff, and but it's it's very uh, it could be ephemeral. You know. I mean it's very it feels good and you get like a little jolt for twenty minutes and then you're back to what am I going to do next? You know? And I don't have enough of this? And you know all of that.
Speaker 7: What helps you in those moments though, because it seems like you have a lot more of them than one would think.
Speaker 4: I mean, everybody's got them, but they're just not honest about it. Yeah, maybe you know. I mean, does Drake have those moments?
Speaker 6: I don't know absolutely, I mean he writes albums about it.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't know. I mean it does you know Denzel have those moments?
Speaker 6: We would never know, We will never never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't good.
Speaker 4: But you know I have them, and I mean I'm sure the King of England has those yeahs? Right? I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: But is that what led you to drugs? Maybe?
Speaker 4: You know? Probably? I mean I was I definitely like getting high, you know, when I was younger, and it was definitely a release is that the right word? You know? I was just escape, escape, you know, it was in my twin knees and uh and uh, you know, it's a terrible moment. I worked, I worked for another shoe company. I got high all the time, and uh, you know it was it was terrible, but it was a relief. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of that was just lifestyle. Back then. Cocaine was like weed.
Speaker 4: So that's the craziest drug ever. Cocaine, Like it's one of those drugs that you do. It makes you feel like shit, but you keep doing it. It's so bad.
Speaker 2: I smoked some some weed one time. It didn't make me.
Speaker 4: Feel you know, it depends everybody's got you know, I never did Mollie. You know. You know a lot of people that talk about Molly.
Speaker 2: I always said I would do it again on accident if you pass me.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of weed is very big now, and weed for me was not my drug of choice. You know. I would smoke a joint and like I would think, like I had my pimples were getting bigger. Well, other drugs are like okay, I'm all right. They can be bread, you know, like whiskey. You know, oh you know what I mean, that's that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I want to know what the vision was when you created Steve Madden in the store, right, because it's not just one store. I mean you're in damn near every mall in America. There's a Steve Madden.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The other day, my wife, my daughter needed shoes for a pageant.
Speaker 1: The first thing she sai, I was going.
Speaker 3: To Steve Madden, right, And I'm like, I don't know where Steve Madden is. Is there one of his mall or it says there's one in every mall?
Speaker 4: And she was right, it's one in Bergen County and Garden State Plaza right.
Speaker 1: Close one ad American Dream Mall. Yes.
Speaker 3: So my question to you is, but not only that, you're in the department stores as well. Right, you can go to Mace's, you go to Nordstrom, you can find Steve Madden. So what was your mind frame to expand Steve Madden in that way Because a lot of people they just kept it small boutique, but you wanted expansion.
Speaker 4: You know. I'm from that school of you know, keep growing, keep growing, do more, make it better. That's just what I am about, you know, And that's what I was always about. I have my little trips that I go on, you know, but that's what I still want to do. I still want to grow. You know, We're everywhere, We're all over the world. I mean, we're everywhere, and.
Speaker 3: You're never nervous about too much because there's a bunch of shoe brands that's been out after you and before you that killed itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, but not Steve Maddock.
Speaker 4: People trying to get me all the time, take me down, try me every everything, you know. You know, it's like I always tell people, you know, when you have, you know, kill or be killed, you know, that kind of thing. I hate to put that message out. It's not really what I'm trying to say. But you know, business is a war and everybody's trying to take your stuff and that's just the way it is. But you know, we try to So when I went away, okay, my message was number one, try to make hot shoes and number two, try to make profit. You know, first was hot shoes. You know, that's where what the company is all about. Like when I say hot shoes, the product is the most important thing and everything will sort itself out out. So and that's sort of the message.
Speaker 7: What I love about Steve Mannon and why it's had the longevi of hiss Head and far more going to be for a while for a long time, is it's affordable and it's high quality. Yes, you know, yes's and that's intentional. You say that profit, but Steve Mannon is very affordable.
Speaker 4: We try to h you know, give the girlies some value, do you know? That's what we're about, and make the best shoes we can. I know it sounds corny, but we really live and breathe and we still do to this day. And in the factory in Queens that we have a sample room there and we're all, you know, the whole team is just like you know, jamming and trying to figure it out and and and we have the philosophies that everything will what kind of be sorted out after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think everybody should read your book, The Cobbler, but I want to ask people. I want to ask you for people who haven't read it yet. You know your father your father cut you off after college, right, yes, and so that's when you had to figure things out for yourself financially because he cut off financial support. You know what made you want to start that shoe company? Like, what was the actual thing that clicked in your mind? I said, this is how I'm going to make money and change my whole complete life and more importantly, how did you do it? Like, how did you get that eleven hundred dollars? How did you know to go buy materials here and get shoes made here?
Speaker 4: So, uh, you know, I first thing I want to say is I learned the business. You know, he and him kicking me out of school and cutting me off was a gift looking back, you know, forty five years later or fifty years later, whatever it is, because it forced me to survive, you know, I had to survive that to eat, I had to pay the rent, just just the way it is. And uh, but so I learned my craft working for another company, you know, and then I said, you know I could do this. You know, it's really just I was like, can I do this? And so I did it, you know, And I remember waking up one morning and I had an apartment in the village, and I had butterflies, you know, that feeling said what did I do? I had such a good paycheck every week? What am I doing? And like I said to myself, just make good shoes and just sell them. You know, you'll be okay. You know it's gonna be okay. And that's what it was the biggest gift. The biggest thing that I did, I have to say. I just want to say in case anybody's listening, and is that I was able to bring higher good people, partner with people because I couldn't have done it myself. Although I take all the credit, you know, but I really needed help.
Speaker 2: Where did you go to learn the business? You said you learned a business.
Speaker 4: Shoe store, working for somebody else. He did every job in the shoe.
Speaker 8: Business was somebody when you were like in your teens, right, I worked.
Speaker 4: In a shoe store at seventeen years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you bet on yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I don't know you. But the thing is that the messages like a lot of people want to do everything themselves, and you know, you got to get help. You got to get good people, the people that share the dream. And that's really one of the things that really because you know, some founders often get in the way, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I wanted to know what was your relationship with IRV God.
Speaker 1: I know you guys had a tight relationship.
Speaker 4: Gotti was great and I miss him so much. I miss IRV so much, and I uh, he was such a great storyteller and he was he was a good guy. He was a warm guy, you know. He he uh, he was always trying to make deals. You know, he's always like you know, and he was very enthusiastic. But uh, but he was a great guy and he was so much fun to be with. And he would you know, he would say things like you know, and he was like I always used to joke that IRV God, he had like a white Jewish man inside his body. And you know what I mean, because he would I would be with my friends and Irv and he would play gin with them and take their money. But also he would tell stories. He would say, let me tell you about the time I was with Sugar Knight in the hills. Like who could tell stories like that? Especially to white boys. They eat that shit up, you know. And you know, he would tell stories like that, and you know, I got to hang out with him and jar Rule, who is the greatest dude.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: I think he lives up by you guys. He's so funny. He's so funny. Ja Rule and the two of them together were like it was like you're holding your sides after forty five minutes telling stories back and forth, and I really misserved.
Speaker 1: How did you meet I.
Speaker 4: Met him at a poker game. He was a master to him and his brother played a lot of poker, and people liked me because I was the worst poker player, very nice to me.
Speaker 1: I have a.
Speaker 4: Sandwich hang out that was the worst because I didn't give a ship. I just wanted to have a good time. And you know, you really have to be patient to be a good poker player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to not go in, you know.
Speaker 4: And he was great.
Speaker 2: You're not a patient personality, No.
Speaker 4: Not patient, terrible poker player. And we used to play. We used to have fun and I didn't care if I lost. He cared. You know. He used to go to the World Series of Poker. So and his brother is a great poker player too.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you something about fashion, right like.
Speaker 5: Fashion is one of the few industries where people literally wear their status art art.
Speaker 2: You think people are buying style or buying identity.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question. I think both. You know that certainly a lot of the you know mez Goot she that they just it's a it's just a prestige. It's almost like a uniform. You know. I got this and it's amazing what they've done. I have to tell you I admire ermez and and in my world they're buying style. You know, you got to have the right style. I don't care who you are. If you don't have the right ship, you're you're you're out. You know that you gotta have, you gotta be on it. And so, uh, it's it's tough. It's very tough, yes.
Speaker 5: Because because something can have identity would be ugly, you don't you know what I mean? Like it could be worth a lot, is what I'm saying. It could be worth a lot, but not look good, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean people rap about Gucci and fear Rouccie. Wasn't there a song Austin Gucci fear Rooccie? There was like one hundred years ago. I'm fucking old. I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: You know the one that we know is Gucci Loui pop them tags.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yes, Well how do you stay so close to like culture?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: And like what did that stem from? Without and keeping it being authentic? Like I know your collabs are like Cardi and you just talked about IRV Gotti and like you're kind of embedded in that now, Like where's that stem from?
Speaker 4: So We're always looking to be with somebody that people would see and want to wear the shoes if they wore them. And so we've had a bunch of collabs that were very good. And I liked working with Cardi b I enjoyed it and she was good fun and she was polite and she blew up at the same time. So sometimes it's difficult they get a big head, and but she was delightful and I'm glad she had it, having a great career. And we worked with a bunch of other folks, and you know, we we even had Gaga in the beginning, and we had love the one that said I kissed the girl what was her name?
Speaker 9: Girl?
Speaker 4: I liked it and she was she's a big star. Now we had a lot of that.
Speaker 8: Is that just a good team that knows what's happening or like, do you have a like an interest in entertainment as.
Speaker 4: I would say that what I tend to like is not necessarily in favor. You know, we have a great team. And now you got all these young artists out now that are so good. You know, take mccraze of the world and all the you know, and that kind of thing, and you you know, what's the one? The blonde? There's a lot of blonde, says motherfucker in her song. Do you know that one?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 6: Everybody a singer or a rapper.
Speaker 4: What's her name? Carpenter?
Speaker 6: That's so funny. So as you said blonde, that's what I thought of, But I think he was, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have daughters. So I have an eighteen year old daughter and a thirteen year old daughter, and they just love Sabrina Carpenter and they love Olivia Rodrigo and so like, you know, it's like that, And well, I don't know if they could do that. It may be too late for that.
Speaker 2: What about Chris Brown?
Speaker 4: Oh god, remember when we talked about Chris gre I'm sorry. I think he's the greatest dancer I've ever seen foot upstage. And Howard Chris Brown was a better dancer than Michael Jackson.
Speaker 5: Oh ship that all was mentioned Chris Brown, And I don't know why the Howard audience reacted through like they did not.
Speaker 8: Dance. Howard HBCU campus very like, uh, I don't.
Speaker 6: Know if you call him woke.
Speaker 8: I feel like that words played out, But like, you know, because of Chris Brown's past, you probably find a lot of the black women at Howard that are like, we don't want to hear about home.
Speaker 4: Yes, but damn, but I'm just watching him dance.
Speaker 6: I understand what you mean.
Speaker 8: But I know the man Howard I could I could see the girls being.
Speaker 4: Like I was like, I'm sorry, probably down. Just like Chris Brown, I think he's amazing.
Speaker 6: So do I do you really think that he's a better dancer than Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: I do. I think that he's got more athletic skills. I think he really Of course Michael was amazing. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Michael was breathtaking to watch Michael. I'm the same age as Michael. I feel like I grew up with Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I used to watch it when I was a little boy and we were like twelve together. I feel like, and he would do stuff and it would be like, oh my god, he's you know, if he was on TV, it's like, hey, Michaels, you know, but Chris Brown, geez, I'll get.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, he's a better answer. He was probably laughing.
Speaker 5: I was taking it in because I was like, I didn't expect the audience of these young people to be upset about Chris Brown before you even said to Michael Jackson because him mentioning Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: They were like, yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Chris is different. Chris, Chris is different.
Speaker 3: Like if you really watch his videos and watch his dance routines and the things he's able to do, and not just look at Michael Jackson who he is.
Speaker 4: Chris is busy and does not gets out of performing.
Speaker 3: No, Chris biz and he does different things different times.
Speaker 1: But Christmas, I.
Speaker 5: Want to ask America, America. Clearly, America should believe in second chances. Right, do you think America really loves second chances or does it just love comeback stories when they make money.
Speaker 4: Well, boy, yeah, I think you might be right because if I faild people can't give a shit about me, maybe you know, then wear my shoes to be like yeah, like I did this in prison, you know what I mean. But people, but we are allowed to have a second chance. I think that we you know, I mean, so many people have had second chances. And it's a great thing about our country, right, you know, it is a country of second chances.
Speaker 3: Right, So look ahead, I wanted to ask, you know, you tell my second chance? Continue what you're saying. I want to ask something that you said. And I was curious of why men's shoes get into the men's line. Were you ever scared to leave what your base was?
Speaker 4: You know, I, uh, men, women buy like eight and want over men, damn right, And so I focused on women's. But we have a nice little men's business and we try to you know, I have some good shoes and we have a whole team that works on that, and I'm wearing them right now. And you know, I'm gonna show you. I'm gonna do a little modeling here with my leg because I'm so Steve Madden.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: It's about one hundred and forty dollars something like that. It's very good. Yes, do you do a parrel as well? Yes?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 3: And how does their peril do because you know, most people are associated like shoe shoe, shoeshoe shoes, but stepping outside of that.
Speaker 4: You know our parrel does well. Yeah, we're doing well. We have good people over there. I was afraid of that. I have to tell you. I didn't want to overdo it. I just kind of when I started and I had a little success in shoes, and I thought, well, I don't want to be like you know, Calvin Klein or Pierre Karden my name. You know, I kind of want to. I wanted to make pajamas and shoes. That was like my thing, just like cool pajamas because I didn't see any. But it, you know, business takes over and people offer you all sorts of stuff and uh. And so we went into clothing and we're in handbags and all sorts of linens and all sorts of stuff. Gott to make, you know, make a little money that way. Yeah, but our focus is we have a lot of business. But what I love is making girls shoes for the girl. That's what the girl, That's what I wake up thinking about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing is well one I had a question when when you were arrested, did you think it was over for your company? Did you say it's it's a wrap And what was your mind frame during that time? And did you have to build a back No?
Speaker 4: So what I did was just very quickly I thought it was over for me and for the company, that's it. And then you know I had put I had great people there that I had taught. Really people have been with me forever, and I get way too much credit. And and so they kept it going. You know, they didn't grow a ton, but they kind of kept.
Speaker 1: It, kept it.
Speaker 4: We didn't go backwards. They did good. So when I came out, you know, I was able to be really exploded because they had done the hard work when I was away. And yeah, I really did think it was over.
Speaker 5: That one in the downfalls of having your name out of the brain, like your actual name, let me go to prison.
Speaker 2: It is that guy you think about it.
Speaker 4: No, you know it was too late. Everything happened, and you know, you know everything, I've been lucky. I've been so lucky, and I was. Look, I met a lot of good guys. And when I was away, you know, that influenced me and gave me perspective and and I think every and made me more successful. And when I got out, in a way, you know, I had a little bit more you know, depth, perhaps seen a lot of suffering and unfairness and uh, you know, so gave you purpose. It did a little bit. I want to say one thing about human beings. I just want to say, like you have nothing in prison, You eat shitty food and eat bad food, and it's really bad. And you said Oh god, I can't wait to get out, you know. And and like six months lady, you're out and you're eating a steak and it's too burnt, and you complain about it. You know what I'm saying, my sting. You know, that's like sort of human being kind of stuff. But you try not to you try to not be that way. But it can't help but match with my steak eating slop six months ago.
Speaker 1: But oh, he's showing him Atlanta te se.
Speaker 6: What I mean is showing him ain't c LT.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's sad.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 4: That's so said?
Speaker 1: Making them suck everybody's penis and the barracks.
Speaker 4: Heard, that's okay. I've seen some bad ship. I've seen some tough stuff. I've seen some bad things, and so I'm gonna tell you something real quick. You can't show yourself to another inmate. It's a sign. It's it's a sign. You know what I'm saying. Can't do it. You gotta cut. I've seen big dudes sweatshirts, hats. They don't show ship, no real you know, guys, even when they go to the weight pile, they're like got shirts on. Nobody nobody's peeling it's not a you know, it's not a thing you do.
Speaker 8: You know your business went up so much after you came home. Do you feel like personally you took a step back from like spotlight because.
Speaker 4: You know, actually got a little bit more famous at some point, you know, and you know, so I don't know, it's back and forth. Uh. You know, Martha Stewart went away when I went away, so we had a similar sort of path and and it was almost exact same time. You know, she's a big star to star's a big star. She's a big star now. But she had a dip there for a minute. People were hating on it, you know what I'm saying. And so I kind of like went a little on the low when I got out, like stayed out of the spotlight, you know, didn't want to and kind of went that way. And then our business was so good I kind of got I was forced to come out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, America loves comebacks.
Speaker 5: We love well, we used to love comebacks and redemption stories. Nowadays everybody just wants to cancel you for bullshit, But back then we used to love a good redemption story.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's we do. It's great it's wonderful because everybody makes mistakes. I mean, you know, you're just and uh and even bringing Chris Brown's name up, it's like, oh, should I bring it? Like, you know, should I bring his name up?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: But I'm really you know, I just think he's a good dance.
Speaker 6: It's like your knowledge on him for his talent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I hope he gets well yeah all that. But I'm just saying, you know, so it's a it's a difficult culture, you know. And uh, and so even you know, you just have to be careful all the time. One false move and you know you're cooked.
Speaker 8: I remember when you did the Cutting Room Floor podcast and I was like, black people like they've never seen him before. But then I saw TikTokers and people saying it's because you kind of got a little low after you came home. But you remember that response, like you did the podcast, everybody it was really black people that are.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, this is Steve Madden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was.
Speaker 4: Like it was it was really black people, and it was it was just like it was they were making tiktoks about they were and it was so gratifying. It was so great, and I didn't think I did that good. When I was on I was, you know, I remember she said, what's the shoe you copied? And I thought, oh god, I'm cooked. It's Chanel and I make it. So what, you know, all my girls can buy it, so what, and they just went crazy. They ended up It was wonderful. It was really so great when.
Speaker 6: You begin of TikTok.
Speaker 7: I also saw a video on TikTok where you went in the store and one of your stores and you had purchased a shoe and a girl was like, thank you, Like, didn't she didn't notice you were a little young girl, didn't notice who you were. Do you like that people don't off the bed, like associate your face with your book.
Speaker 4: I do like it. I used to not like it. I wanted everybody to know who I was, you know, kind of thing, right, But now it's kind of cool to kind of sneak into a store. And of course when they ask you, because I'm older than by double everybody that works and stuff, that was this old white dude here. You know what I'm saying. But so at some point I have to say, you know that's me.
Speaker 1: Your credit card, said Steve.
Speaker 6: They think it's like a company card like when.
Speaker 4: Wet and I do like that, but I didn't.
Speaker 8: What about the conversation around Steve Matten when it comes to the business like what you just mentioned, like the remix right, because there's a good side of it where people are like, okay, this is affordable. But then there are the other side of it where you have independent designers like I remember the brother Bellyes thing, like different designers who speak out and say, well, these are our shoes and we don't get credit.
Speaker 2: Major fashion as is too. You got by like Alexander McQueen.
Speaker 4: And I'm always kidding, uh I. I would say that we do a lot of original designs, and we definitely do some dupes.
Speaker 2: And don't say that.
Speaker 4: You take my library card away.
Speaker 6: Everybody does.
Speaker 3: Do you have to settle out serious?
Speaker 4: You know when we do twists on them too, we try to give you a little you know, I mean, that's it. You know, I make shoes for ninety bucks, one hundred and twenty bucks. You know, people love them, and you know I'm trying to pay the rent, you know, I mean really, I mean you've.
Speaker 1: Been paying around a long time.
Speaker 4: See the family to.
Speaker 7: Do it, the girls trying to play to pay the rent too, and you can afford to pay Steve Mantons and deep but not deep, and then I.
Speaker 8: Can pay running from the designers who were like trying to build to where you are, to feel like you have the bigger platform. And then but we rather work together versus you have it on your platform and no one knows that the inspiration came from us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yes, sometimes do you ever feel in those moments like have you ever been like, okay, well let's just partner or like.
Speaker 4: I would love to do that, you know, I would love to people always think I've had this thing, whether people think I'm just this big pirate, you know, this monster guy.
Speaker 6: So some of them, that was some of the tiktoks.
Speaker 8: It was like, yo, he looks like he and the mob.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm not. And I feel those people and I and I and I even talked, we talk about having a little maybe you know, a little venture fund for some small guys, and we do it. We've done it, and it's something to think about. I'm not, you know, a rapacious, rapacious I love that word, rapacious, vulture. You know, I'm just trying to make good shoes, you know, and that's it. And I do not to be such a wind bag here. I just want to know. I want to I want to tell you that he'll yell at me over here. I do think about I swear now I have a lot of money, now you know what I mean. But I do think about, No, why am I doing this? I'm feeding my family, you know what I'm saying. I try to tell my kids that because they don't make the connection. No, I'm feeding the family. I'm putting clothes on your back. You know. I'm going to the grocery store. I'm able to buy good fruit and vegetables. And I really think that way, and I know it's probably madness.
Speaker 2: But you're a billionaire.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know about all that with the company companies doing Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: Well, Concret, congrats on your second quarter, aren't.
Speaker 4: Thank you very well? We have an amazing team and we have a great CEO and great president and they try not to pay too much attention to me, and they're doing great well.
Speaker 5: When you hire somebody today, what qualities do you value more than talent?
Speaker 4: Good question. I like enthusiasm, and you know, I like enthusiasm and passion. I think it's good. Not everybody is talented. It's good to have talent, though, right, it's good to have talent, but it's great to have enthusiasm and sometimes you can work and learn and be open and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: How involved are you with the company now? Why do you know every shoe and this?
Speaker 4: I'm very involved with very involved with the products. And I'm very involved. You know, things different when you get older. You know, in my late sixties now you know I'm older, Ye do much less weight now. You know what I'm saying. It's sad getting older. It's not great. Uh, it's kind of like I think about I don't know why we're talking about that, but I'm very involved. You know. It's I think about Larry Birder, I think about you know, you know, just athletes that you know at some point you know, can't boxer, can't knock a guy out anymore. It's a hard you know, it's a very hard feeling, you know, to be you know what I mean. It's you're getting older and you're getting well yeah, I mean you got.
Speaker 3: Kids, and your kids run your company. You got to trust in your kids that you know.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want them to go into shoes. But I don't want them to do something well because we're a public company and it's difficult. But you know, they could if they wanted to. But you know, I'd like them to do something they love, you know, and that would not upset me if one of my kids became a teacher, if they loved it, because they would have the money, you know, to do that. I think teachers are underpaid.
Speaker 2: You just want them to find their passion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it's terrible injustice in America.
Speaker 5: By the way, what makes you do so much work with HBCUs? I mean we were on a panel at how would you have a building that?
Speaker 1: No, we just have.
Speaker 2: It is it's something to how we do.
Speaker 4: We do a lot of work with Howard. Yes, we do some stuff. We have a big programs, intern programs, fashion programs.
Speaker 1: And then we did something was it Clark Clark.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 6: Athlete campaigns to campaigns.
Speaker 4: You do things, well, let let the uh. I'm just doing what I can. I don't really know what else to say, doing what we can, that's it.
Speaker 5: But who pointed you in that direction? Like what made you say I want to start pouring into these HBCUs.
Speaker 4: You know, it's just something that I want to do. I don't really have I just feel like we're not getting into it. I just feel like it's an area that doesn't get as much attention as it should. And it's a wonderful thing, and I think I wish we could do more, to be honest with you, and especially at this time in America, was there like.
Speaker 8: A certain was that like a certain something that happened where you were like I need like what you know what I mean? Like, where was the emotional connection for you? Like what happened where you were? Like, we need to be doing more. One admit that you saw where you like, this is messed up.
Speaker 4: I don't. I was. You know, I've been very influenced by black people in my life. I have to just say it, you know, I just you know, as a kid, it was next to my town. There was a town called Inwood. You guys know Inwood, which is right next to far Acaway. I want to give a shout out to my man Jeffrey Brooks and Pucci and all those guys, and uh, yeah, there was a town called Inwood, and you know, so we grew up together and it was they were different and it was fun and and we had so much fun. And I could tell you all about that trip one day, you know, because it is an interesting sort of trip. But you know, it was it was just great. It was very It influenced my life, you know that thing. I tend to get influenced by a lot of stuff. Of course, I was in prison a lot of black folks, and you know, and so you know, another influence. You know, uh, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: But that's good though. You have to be open to that. Like there's a lot of people who aren't open. That's why racism and bigotry sucks, right, because you close yourself off.
Speaker 2: From people and opening the people learning things like you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my cell made was like he grabbed me by the neck and said, okay, white boy, I'm gonna teach you about hip hop.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: It was that kind of thing. You listen to it. And so it was fun, you know, that was that was a good that was good experience. And there was a song I'm working that back I don't know how to.
Speaker 2: That was like the first one.
Speaker 4: And be on the track walking in prison and listen to that song and your neck and puts you on. Well, that was the song that I heard first. It was like so motion from me, and I thought, this is so great. And there was a little hip hop bit somebody was on that song.
Speaker 9: Too, juvenile and the older slim yeah, and it was so good like like like that so yeah, so like.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And uh, Well, when I was away, t I was very big and he was from that South. His his stuff was very you know, poppy. It was very like, wow, does the Taliban? I remember those songs and I would be like working out and every and everybody would be like, yeah, you know there was another song. You don't know me, you don't know men, we'd be working out it. It was just a moment, you know, and I thought, well, this is good. And then I got to meet t I with IRV Gotti.
Speaker 7: Yes, did you mean juvenile yet? I have not because they are going on tour.
Speaker 1: We need to go.
Speaker 4: Okay, tis music okay. But then he had that beef with money and I thought, I don't know about all that failure.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 5: That prison saved your life, right, So how do you know when you're I guess quote unquote biggest failure has become your greatest blessing.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to think of it like that, I mean, because otherwise, you know, uh, you just drown and sorrow and pity, right, I mean, you know, and it's easy to do. You know, it's easy to do with God, you know. Uh, so you try to turn it around and try to if you can. Not everybody has the ability to do that, to be honest, and certainly it's easier if you're white, to be honest with you. That's not good and soapy about it, but it's not.
Speaker 2: So people tell the truth.
Speaker 4: That's talk about. That's that's what it is. So so it's a little bit of that. It's just you know that whole it's connected to that.
Speaker 8: Why does that make you uncomfortable to talk about those type of things?
Speaker 4: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Understand the if Steve gets to talk and talking, I don't go back there.
Speaker 4: Stop. Yes, it is harder, and it's just that's just the facts. That's just the way it is. People talk to tipto, you know, It's just that's the way it is. So we do what we can.
Speaker 5: What do you think society is wrong about people who've served time?
Speaker 4: Well, the good news is the good news is people are less harsh about it today. You know, a lot of people do time. And you know, when I was away, most of the people were in prison for drug dealing. Just I would say I was in a low security not that it was easy.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 4: Don't get trippy by low security. It sucked. There were fucking guys with guns and fences. It was terrible. But you know, uh, most of the people were there for drug crimes, like you know, and and you know, I think the drug laws were too severe and they and you know, I mean, they tend to really disrupt communities and I think it's grossly unfair. And I know you guys know all about the crack laws, and I'm sure you've talked about it. You know, it's like just a racist, you know law. It's just that simple. There's nothing you could say about it that has changed. Guys have gone home. And you know, when I went away, also, there was white people in there deal in marijuana one hundred plants, ten years maximum minimum ten years. Everybody's smoking potts, right, What the hell guys did ten years one hundred plants, that's crazy. So the laws were you know, so she had all these people there, and it wasn't like bank robbers and stuff, although I was friends with a bank robber. Some stuff to some stuff. We had to hide money under the ground. Well, you know, anyway, it's a humbling experience and people deserve second chances. And I would say that a lot of the folks that were in there for drug dealing, you know, I would say, just try to take those skills and try to do it with something that's legal. Of course, marijuana is legal today, you know. So so I was real quick.
Speaker 1: Yes, why you didn't bring me no shoes?
Speaker 7: It's Steve real get Okay, thank you. Let me just show you the whole thing. Okay, no, no, no, I got enough, Steve.
Speaker 6: But yeah, and eat.
Speaker 7: And I want you to know because I need you to send me at least two or three shoes so I can figure out when we went.
Speaker 6: To the juvenile conference.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're gonna go, yes, and uh, we're selling a lot of dress shoes. I just want you guys to more than usual, which is interesting a lot of people, you know, the in my price is you know, one hundred and under, twenty hundred and fifty. They don't make a lot of cool dress shoes. It's kind of like really better market people like aware like Christian your or you know, something like that. And so we're doing really well with that. We're making a lot of high heels.
Speaker 2: How does social media change your business?
Speaker 4: Social media is everything? And you know, we have a whole department devoted to that. And it's really I mean, we could do ten shows on social media, couldn't. It's so unbelievable. Yeah, And and I don't really I like, just on a personal note, I really like TikTok myself and it relaxes me. Like sometimes at night, I just like I don't even put on the TV. Just grow, you know. And it's like, but you know, my algorithm is probably different than your hell, you know.
Speaker 7: Because I can't stay none of it. I'm like, it's two negative too negative. Well, right, algorithm is different though.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I get a lot of movies, old movies and you know, stuff like that. Chris Brown.
Speaker 5: Has social media made style more accessible or has it made originality harder?
Speaker 4: The fun? Oh god?
Speaker 1: That's uh.
Speaker 4: You know, style is everything, trend is everything. It's just you know, what I think is like I don't remember being in school and there was a bunch of cool girls wearing certain jeans or a tan tap and like it went around. Now that cool girl thing is all over the country, you'll get to see what the cool tank top is. You know. It's sort of an amazing idea in a way, like oh, what's the cool ankle boot? Like what are the chicks wearing? You know, I think it's great.
Speaker 3: Have you ever worked too late on a trend? Because you know, when you start designing, you're designing for next year? Right, have you ever worked too late?
Speaker 4: Either too late? I've been too early? You know, I've done it all. You know, you try. Timing is very important and and I've definitely been too late. I have and I've been too early too, which is just as bad as too late, you know.
Speaker 3: So what are the circumstances of finding out like figuring out what's next?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, for instance, right, everybody knows needles was the big thing for like three months straight. I mean you couldn't find one. All these stores that ordered crazy amount of needles. Now I'm sure they got to stop power because they don't care about it no more.
Speaker 1: So, how do you decide what's going to be the next show and what you go with you know.
Speaker 4: You, well, when somebody reaches my age, you must surround yourself with young people and tell you what's up. I dig that, I like that. I like to be around that energy. You know. You know, I'm listening to cowboy music in the gym.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. That's what I'm listening to. So it's not coming. You know, I'm not really going to be directing a lot of that. But but so I have young people and great talent around me. And yeah, as a matter of fact, if if there is a musical thing that I really like this, they're likely not to be successful, do you know what I mean? You know what I mean, because I like them and I'm like, gee, I love this group, you know when they're young and what I'm like, God, I love them, and uh and I go, but I like them. That that may be no good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: So that's crazy because y'all be so on the note, like even with the like the people y'all send to the Kirk.
Speaker 4: Doing great.
Speaker 1: Yes, but y'all were.
Speaker 8: Kind of early in like people were talking about it. But now it's become like a cultural like we're early on the acquisition with them. It's that's crazy to hear you say that, Like, it's not your instinct.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you kind of have to mixed humility with vision perhaps, and uh, you know, but I do like Sabrina Carpenter, you know, and I like Taylor Swift.
Speaker 6: I know that's right, shake it off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I do like that stuff, you know. So, uh but nobody cares, you know what I mean. But my daughter's level of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So when you have like like your creative team, they come up and they show you, like, Steve, do you like this?
Speaker 6: Do like that? Are you honest?
Speaker 4: We'd be like, no, yes, that's what we do. Okay, let me show you something. Okay.
Speaker 7: Now, if I was working for you right in there and saying, Steve, these need to these the next hottest thing. These need to be sold for the church ladies, what would you say.
Speaker 4: Church lady? I would say, I like to make shoes for all kinds of people. And I would be let's do it. Let's make some church ladies. You wouldn't You wouldn't want to know we put something, we put our stamp on it. I mean, we put a little signature, a little flavor, a little, a little. There's a few secrets, like Coca cola. I can tell you the secret formula to Coca cola.
Speaker 1: But you're gonna make it raight.
Speaker 6: You're gonna make use some stuff.
Speaker 4: I could make that shoe look a little if you.
Speaker 5: Don't put them just show Steve madd that Monica Woard and that uh make it right video?
Speaker 2: Yes not not? So is there a level? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I'm I'm just saying, you know, I would say I was thinking about what you said. You know, it's just humility and vision and there, I mean so many times, I fucking love that shoes. I hope I'm right.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know you know that's a creative process, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You should make a special box to all the young girls that come and make it like my first heels box, right, so when the girls boy their first heels, they.
Speaker 1: Can put it in something.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So I tell you I bought my daughter's first heels.
Speaker 3: She warm, but she's so excited to have her first heels.
Speaker 1: Like mommy, But they're not is no way to put them.
Speaker 3: I gotta put them on the show like that but they had like a special box, like a signature.
Speaker 1: First. I think that would be like.
Speaker 4: That you could do something with that. We're doing a little thing. We're thinking about bringing your vintage Steve Madden shoes and trade them in or something.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking about something like that.
Speaker 4: We want to do. Yes, because we've been around, you know, I don't feel like it. I mean, you know, and I'm still trying to make hits, right, but like we've been around a long time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And so you know, I go to the vintage stores in like Brooklyn and I see Steve Madden and I'm like, wait, I'm not dead yet.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like when you win a Hall of Fame award that's us. Yes.
Speaker 2: Is there a level of successful people stop telling you the truth?
Speaker 4: You know? You have some uh, you do have some people that get a little intimidated by your success and they want to There are some people that do that really like it. And then I have people that do the opposite too, they like, you know, they always trying to correct me. I don't like that either. You know that most people, if you're in my career, you're telling me the truth. You know, I'm not that's not who I am, but I know people like that.
Speaker 5: How do you protect yourself from being surrounded by yes man, oh women, yes women, yes, me and woman.
Speaker 4: You know, it's really boring being supressed, you know, you know, you do something messed up and they say, oh, well you play golf and you hit a shitty shot and they go, great shot, Steve. Then you know, like, wait a second, but I've been around dudes like that, you know, and it's not a very good way to grow. Think you know that there are people that break my chops too a lot.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 4: They take it easy on me.
Speaker 2: You know, this is my last question.
Speaker 4: It's been we got shoes, we gotta go, we got things right?
Speaker 2: What lesson? Did your pain teach you? That's your success? Never could?
Speaker 4: Well? Pain can not to be corny about it. Sort of pain can be a message or a messenger, you know, and it can be and you know you can let it. You can let it weigh you down, and I have done that, and then you can let it say no, you know, I'm coming back.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like that.
Speaker 4: There's that hip hop song bounce back. I just heard it. You know who does.
Speaker 1: It's not a.
Speaker 4: Wait song? What a message that is, Big Sean. I like that guy yest. He was on you know, Spotify has like your top songs of twenty twenty. So I put it on the other day and bounce Back was on it. It's like, what an uplifting message? So uh we take l's and we bounce back.
Speaker 3: I know that's Rice, Steve, Big Sean, Steve Madden, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, hold every day.
Speaker 2: A weak click your glass up. The Breakfast Club finished.
Speaker 1: Y'all done.