Speaker 1: My thoughts on the iPhone se after going hands on, Voodoo is acquired by Fandango, Nintendo tells you to turn on two factor authentication and much more.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Dmiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and I also answer the questions that you send me, and believe me, you send a lot of them. My name is Rich Demiro, tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles, Staying safe at Home this week this is going to be an episode with your live calls, so I have this broadcasting live on Facebook. I've got the phone number ready to go. You can call in with your tech questions at five one six three eight seven thirteen twenty six. Again five one six three eight seven thirteen twenty six. If you're listening on the podcast, you pray play on your phone. That means you can't call in because it's been pre recorded. But for everyone else watching right now live on Facebook, you can call in with your tech questions, and I hope that you do. Let's get to the big story of the week. The iPhone S has launched. Apple sent me one to test out and I will tell you Apple really did a nice job with this device, because here's the thing they did that they didn't have to do, but they did, and it makes a world of difference. It makes a difference between me actually recommending this device and not recommending it. And at this point, I'm pretty much going to recommend this device to anyone who wants a phone at a good price. And you know, pictures are probably not the most important thing to them. They're important, but they just want an iPhone and they want a good smartphone in general. This is this actually goes past just the iPhone. This is probably the best four hundred dollars phone you can get at this point, because because even when it comes to Android phones, when you look at four hundred dollars Android phones, the closest comparison I have is the is the Pixel three A, which is about that price. But the problem is, even when they come out with the fur A, which is their cheaper version of the Pixel, it's still not going to be as good as this device because you're getting an iPhone. And when you have an iPhone, what do you have? You have the best access to the best apps, the best accessories, the best other Apple products, so you can do things like finally get an Apple Watch. And it's a lot of little things that add up to this being a really good deal at four hundred dollars. So I have the phone in my hand, I've been playing with it, and it's a smaller device.
Speaker 2: It only has one camera.
Speaker 1: And in my story on KTLA today, I explain kind of all the differences, the things that you're getting, the things that you're not getting, and I kind of went through that in the last podcast as well. But the reality is this is a fantastic device.
Speaker 2: It's small, The screen is.
Speaker 1: Smaller than we're used to on a lot of these big screen phones, especially on the Android side of things. But overall, I can't say enough good things about this device. It has the latest processor that Apple has, which means this phone is going to last you three years minimum. You can use this phone for four hundred dollars for the next three years, and by the way, it's going to get Apple's software updates for that time, which is a huge deal. You buy a Samsung, you buy another device you don't know when your next software update is coming. Besides the Pixel, So I love the Pixel and I love OnePlus those are the two brands that I think are really very compelling when it comes to Android devices. But with that said, you still don't have the range of accessories that you get when it comes to an Apple device. And you can call me an Apple lover, you can call me Apple fanboy. I am not believe me. I love Android. I actually love the Android operating system. The architecture of that system I love. In fact, I think it's more flexible. But I will say in recent years, Apple has really done a good job of integrating things in almost a better way than Android does. And I just think that this phone at four hundred dollars is a fantastic device, and I can't imagine not recommending it to folks.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of the bottom line.
Speaker 1: You don't get the wide angle camera, you know, you get wireless charging, you don't get a headphone jack, but no phone has a headphone jack. You get good battery life, you get I think it really comes down to that processor. The fact that you can get the latest processor on this device, to me, is probably the best thing about it. So iPhone S is a winner in my book. And let's see, can I hear this?
Speaker 3: I do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. iPhone se is a winner in my book, and I think that Apple when they come out with their earnings, mark my words, they will sell so many of these devices it is not even funny.
Speaker 2: It's going to eclipse what they sold.
Speaker 1: When it comes to regular iPhones, for sure, iPhone eleven, it's going to sell more than those because there's so many people out there that pent up demand for an inexpensive iPhone is there. And believe me, this hits it. Phone lines are open five one, six, three, eight, seven, thirteen twenty six. We've got nine five one on the line.
Speaker 2: Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 4: This is Carolyn.
Speaker 2: Carolyn. How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing pretty good?
Speaker 2: Good? What's on your mind?
Speaker 4: Well? I have a I don't know whether you deal with tech questions with Facebook?
Speaker 1: Oh of course I love Facebook.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I have my Facebook account. It has three names attached to it. I mean, you know, I have a first name, a maid name, and my last name. Okay, okay. Sometimes at one point I opened it under Safari on an iPhone and now it's just my first name and my last name. But I cannot put it onto a new I cannot put I cannot get the app to work on a new phone. So you've got a new iPhone because it somebody has taken over me or something. And Facebook does not answer questions.
Speaker 2: No, they do not.
Speaker 1: Good luck. I get a lot of emails from people who so I just can't access that Facebook.
Speaker 4: Account, yah phone number in the password I put in the email and the password and nothing is worth it.
Speaker 1: So what happens when you do when you try to do a password recover? What happens when you type in your email address and you say I forgot my password?
Speaker 2: What? What does Facebook tell you?
Speaker 4: Well, at one point I tried that about a month ago, and it, uh, I just changed the.
Speaker 2: Password, sure, and what happens? You can't get in?
Speaker 4: And but I just got a new phone and I'm trying to put it in get the app of the Facebook app to work, and it doesn't work. Now this is a spare phone for me, so I already haven't set up on my main phone, right right, So you do have to put it on the spare So.
Speaker 1: You have access to your Facebook on one in one place, but you want to get it in the other place and you can't seem to do that.
Speaker 4: Why have access on it on a iPad right, an iPhone, okay, and then I want to put it onto an iPhone right, Well.
Speaker 1: You should you should be able to do that for sure. Well okay, so here's here's what I would recommend doing. And it could be a little dicey because if you can't get access to your account, you could be locked out of all these devices. But what I would say is what you need to do is go to your desktop computer. Okay, go to Facebook and I would go in there and I would make sure like log out and then say, forgot my password, and then I would reset my password. They're going to send you an email to your email account. You're going to come up with a new password. Write that password down. Now, go to the other devices. Log out of Facebook. Once you're you know, into the other one, You've everything's worked out, and then I would go log into those two devices, and I think that's going to fix everything. The only issue is if there is some sort of problem or issue with your account and you get logged out, locked out, you may not be able to get into any of your accounts. But it sounds like you don't have any issues with account. It's just more of a every nothing's in sync right now, And it might be that you just need to kind of reset your password, like log out of everything, reset your password and get back in.
Speaker 2: That's what I would say. Does that sound like something you want to try?
Speaker 1: I will try that out, all right, Carolyn.
Speaker 2: Let me know if that works. Okay, okay, all right. I want to hear.
Speaker 1: I want to hear because much because we need our Facebook especially right now. How would you be watching me if you didn't have Facebook? Right right?
Speaker 4: I just pat down to take a break in. You're here and I went watch your show every morning, well whenever you're on on channel five.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, thanks for finding me here. I appreciate it. It's kind of fun. Right What else?
Speaker 2: What else am I going to do on a Friday afternoon?
Speaker 4: But thank you very much?
Speaker 2: All right, Carolyn, take care all right?
Speaker 1: Phone lines are open area code five one six three eight seven thirteen twenty six five six, three eight seven thirteen twenty six. Let's see what's the other big story of the week.
Speaker 2: HBO Max.
Speaker 1: You guys ready for another streaming service. HBO Max says that they are going to launch on May twenty seventh, and HBO Max is another streaming service from kind of Time, Warner, Warner Brothers, whatever the companies are called. There's so many companies that have merged these days. But it's I guess Warner Media, which I think is owned by AT and T if I'm not mistaken. So this is WarnerMedia, which is HBO. And let me tell you the brands that they're in here. So ten thousand hours of premium content, okay, including new stuff. So some of the brands that are in this lineup include HBO, Warner Brothers, TNT, TBS, True TV, CNN, DC, New Line, Cinema, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Under Classic Movies, and others. And yes, WarnerMedia is a part of AT and T. So this is going to cost fifteen dollars a month when it launches, and you're gonna have ten thousand hours of content and all kinds of stuff. I mean, they have a lot of original things. They have friends. Obviously that's gonna be a big one because you can watch that West World, Big Little Lies, All the HBO stuff is going to be on there, Big Bang Theory, The Bachelor, Sesame Street, The Bachelor, who wants to rewatch that after its air? And I don't know, not me, The OC Gossip Girl, Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, Aquaman, Joker, seven hundred Blood, two thousand movies in the first year. I mean, this is a lot of stuff. Then they have some classic things like let's see what I just see, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, the Goonies, Lego movies. I mean, this is this is a lot. But it's again, it's fifteen dollars a month. So are you willing to spend another fifteen bucks a month? I don't know about you, but I did tweet recently all the streaming services that I subscribe to, and it's kind of a lot. The bills are kind of I looked at my credit card today and it's literally everything on there is a streaming service, Hulu, Hbo Go. What else do we have? YouTube? We've got Netflix, We've got I mean, all these little things add up. Now, they're not adding up to that much, but it's still a lot when you do fifteen bucks a month, seven dollars a month, seventeen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: I just did.
Speaker 1: Hulu that was twelve bucks a month for the commercial free one. So my question is, are you willing to pay another fifteen dollars a month for another streaming service.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It seems like they have a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: And I think what's gonna work here is that you have so many people that are already subscribed to HBO that I think HBO Max will be a natural progression for them because they can just go and put that fifteen dollars towards her, and HBO has a lot of customers. So we'll see HBO Max again. Launches May twenty seventh, which can't come fast enough in these COVID times Area code seven six zero. You are on with Rich. Who am I speaking with? Seven six zero?
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich? Hello?
Speaker 1: Do we have you? Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I might have to go to the next person. Okay, let's go to nine oh nine. You're on with Rich. Nine oh nine. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hey Rich, this is Sam from Pomona.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sam, wouldn't be a show without you, my friend. How you doing?
Speaker 3: That's true? Trying to stay cool?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is uh, this is actually I think the air conditioning kicked on in my little room here, but it's it's it's wild. We went for I actually went for a run today and it was. I think I got double the workout because I did that.
Speaker 2: How are you doing? How's Pomona?
Speaker 1: I remember going to the Pomona What is it the Pomona Racetrack. What's the thing? The Pomona Fairgrounds?
Speaker 3: Yeah, La County fair Grounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember going to that many years ago and it was very hot.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they always have it in September and it's the hottest time of the year.
Speaker 1: Yes, Why is that in La September October always the hottest part of the year.
Speaker 2: What's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Anything anyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah? About a year or so ago, I got a deal on one of these Google wi fis, you know, the three pack.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I walked into a best Buy and the guy, the salesman, looks at me and goes, hey, you want to buy one of these for one hundred and nineteen dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Evidently somebody online, some big company mispriced it. So I said, hey, for one hundred nineteen dollars for three pack, I'll buy it. Yeah. That brought us a great price up. The problem was is that all my two point four gigahertz stuff wouldn't connect. The five point six stuff worked great, so I called Google, and they really didn't have an answer. They gave me some bs you know, well, you know, go a far away distance and maybe it'll hook up, and it never did. So that's been sitting in a box in my house, and I was wondering, do you know if they've ever fixed that problem?
Speaker 2: Now? Is this the original or is this the new one? Is Google?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Is the original?
Speaker 2: So it's the original. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm looking up my Nest Wi Fi information because they did change it to Nest Now it's called Nest Wi Fi, right, and so it's a little bit different than the original. I'm looking up my my press information I got from from Google about the Nest Wi Fi. Let's see Nest Wi Fi tech specs. This is the stuff that you're really you know, if you're really feeling lonely on a Friday night, you can jump into all right, let's see. So Nest Wi Fi router yep, it now has five gigahertz and two point four simultaneous dual band.
Speaker 2: So that is the answer.
Speaker 1: Oh well then what's I mean? So then why didn't connect?
Speaker 3: Well that was my question. I have a bunch of IP cameras here that are all two point four. Yeah, and I'm not going to go out and rebuy those, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the IP cameras, I've gotten a lot of I've got a lot of questions about that because I remember when the little Wise camera came out. It was I think on two point four, and a lot of people were telling me it wasn't working with their system.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that is.
Speaker 1: I don't I think on an ideal world, you'd be able to choose which Wi Fi signal it kind of attached itself to. But in you know, I know, on Android phones when they give you some of that functionality, you can, but I know that some of these smaller IP devices just don't let you do it, you know, some of the lesser expensive devices.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It does support both, but I think that the problem is that it's putting out both those signals, but you can't choose on that device which signal you want to latch onto. I think that is the problem.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You would think in the settings on that device you would say, hey, I only want to go to the two point four setting, But I don't know. It's it's kind of a mystery, but that's unfortunate. So you've never you bought the one hundred and twenty dollars thing, but you never were able to use it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I have a Netgear night Hawk and an extender, and my house isn't that big, so I get pretty good coverage with what I've got. But I've noticed though that you know, they went from a two band to a three band. Is there any big advantage to going to a three band at this point?
Speaker 2: What's the third band?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I think when they I think the the if it says try band, I think of that means, is that that's what it's using to communicate Because I know these little mesh systems use like a tryband system to communicate to each other, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know on that one.
Speaker 1: So it just sounds better, right, I mean, tryband sounds better than dual band, so anything that's more is better, I guess so, Sam, I think one of these days, one of these days will solve all your Wi Fi woes, but I don't know if that day is today.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, thanks and stay cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Sam? Stay cool, Sam and Pomona.
Speaker 1: I feel like we need like a music for Sam ifmoona Okay, I would give out the phone number again, but we have so many calls, I don't know if I need to. So my plan with this podcast is to usually do a story and then that's you know, the regular format is where I do a story and then I do a question from a listener. So that's kind of the format. I'm going to continue on here because I just, you know, think that's a good one. All right, So I thought this was interesting. This week, Samsung announced that they are offering free repairs of their devices for first responders and healthcare professionals. And I think this is really really important because if you are a doctor, a nurse, firefighter, and I'll go through the list of everyone who's affected, you can bring your Samsung device into a store and get it fixed. Crackscreen, dead, battery, batteries not lasting very long. Take advantage of this program. It's called free Repairs for the Frontline. And what they're doing is they're partnering with you Break I Fix And if you have a s Msung device it's got a crackscreen or a battery replacement, needs a battery replacement, go into the store by June thirtieth and you can get it done for free.
Speaker 2: Here's who qualifies.
Speaker 1: Doctors, nurses, hospital workers, EMTs, police officers, firefighters with valid ID eligible for one free repair of their Samsung smartphone.
Speaker 3: Do this.
Speaker 1: Tell your friends that are a healthcare responder to do this because this is a this is a big deal. This could be a fifty dollars one hundred and fifty dollars fix for free, and it's at a limited time only. So if you're saying, rich, are you crazy, I'm not going into a store right now, Well, you can mail it in as well. So if you feel better mailing it in, you can do that. But the problem with mailing in a phone is like, let's be honest, you're not going to have your phone for a while, so personally, I'd rather just bring it in there, wear a mask and you break eye. Fix is open, it says, and they are taking the proper precautions to make sure everything is okay. All right, Phone lines are open. Area code five one, six, three, eight, seven, thirteen, twenty six nine. We're gonna try again, nine four nine.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Hello, Rick? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: This is Jimmy, Jimmy, how you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, I'm doing well.
Speaker 5: How about yourself.
Speaker 2: I am fantastic. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Okay, I got a question for you. I find myself often on my iPad in my bedroom and I'd like to know if there's a way to mirror what's on my on my iPad to my fire TV.
Speaker 1: Ooh okay, uh Fire TV and iPad. So you know that the fire TV is Amazon and the iPad is Apple, So if you're talking about.
Speaker 2: There's there's two things you can do.
Speaker 1: So sometimes apps have the ability built in to mirror the screen, you know, like if Netflix you can cast it what they.
Speaker 2: Call it, to the TV.
Speaker 1: But overall when it comes to just like a blanket mirroring, you would have to have an Apple TV for that. As far as I know now, there may be a program that does something similar. There used to be one I had a long time ago that would that would kind of do this, but I I see I think it was called all Cast. Let me see if that's still around. It looks like it's around. It says send videos and photos to your TV, So this may this may be a solution. You can try that, but the problem is if you're looking at casting your screen specifically, usually that is an Apple specific thing that you need to get. So, are you trying to cast something on your screen? Yes, yeah, that's so if it's not inside a specific app, then I would probably say you're going to need an Apple TV to do that.
Speaker 2: That's as far as I know.
Speaker 1: But if you want to try something like all Cast, you can check that out and see. But I don't think it can do your screen because that is a Apple specific thing because it needs access to your screen and it's you know, but if you have an iPhone or an iPad and an Apple TV, it's really easy.
Speaker 2: It's just you already have your Fire TV. I doubt you want to.
Speaker 1: Get a new device just to do this solution. But again, inside regular apps, it does. It does work a lot of times, and I find that, you know, sometimes it's very confusing because I have a Chrome Cast and a Fire TV on my TV in the bedroom, and I never know which one I'm going to when I try.
Speaker 2: To like cast something from my phone.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's another that's that's not your problem, that's just my problem. But yeah, that's that's kind of the best thing I can think of. And I'm trying to see if there's anything there's another one. Let's see, I'm seeing all connect but I don't know if that one. I think when it comes to the mirroring, it's really going to be I think it's just built into IF into Apple, and I'm just not sure that that's gonna there's not really a way around that, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.
Speaker 1: All right, Jimmy, take care and thanks for calling in on this, uh this show today. I appreciate it. There you go, very cool. Phone number is five one, six, three, eight, seven, thirteen twenty six. I see you guys on hold. I got you there, and uh, I am not forgetting about you, all right. This week, Google announced that you can finally adjust the sensitivity for your Google devices. So if you have one of these Google speakers in your home, and you know this has happened to you, because it happens to me all the time Google Home, you can now adjust the sensitivity of your device, and it's in the settings, in the device settings, and you basically look for the h Google Sensitivity and you can go through and make it least sensitive, default or most sensitive. And personally, I would probably do least sensitive for some of the rooms, like maybe in my kids room, least sensitive because I don't need that one to kind of fire up when I'm talking, and maybe most sensitive for the ones I use the most, like the one in my kitchen is the one that I usually like to respond. But again, that is a new feature. It's rolling out gradually, so you might not have access to it right away. But if you go into your Google Home app and you look under device settings and let's see, is there is there like specific Yeah, it just looks like device settings, and then go into notef Hey Google, Op, I didn't I didn't want to say that. Sorry, my gosh, I did not want to say that. But if you go into there, you can you can adjust your sensitivity. And I'm just reading some of the comments on the Facebook Live about the Amazon TV thing. So Daniel says, there's an app called Mirror for Amazon fire and it says start by installing it on your fireTV. Open the app and enable it on your as a device on a receiver. Then grab your iPhone and enable airplay. Choose Fire TV from the all Play receiver Airplay receiver list, connect the devices, then pick your content on your iOS hardware and start casting. That may work, but the problem is, I think that's still just airplay. So if an app is airplay enabled, it will enable that. I think what Jimmy wanted was to be able to mirror his screen. And when you mirror your screen, you can literally just see your iPhone or you know, iPad screen right on the TV screen, which.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm wrong, but if you if you can get that going with just a third party app, that would be pretty cool. So I think, yeah, eight oh five, you're on with Rich eight oh five. This is Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Hey Rich, My name is Rachel.
Speaker 2: Hey Rachel, how are you doing? Where are you calling from?
Speaker 6: I am actually calling from Woodland Hills, which is eight one eight, but I have an eight or five number, So I'm sweating out at ninety nine degree weather or something out here in Woodland Hills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is wild today. Huh oh my gosh. It's like it went from such nice weather to crazy. So the good news is I heard that heat in sunlight kills coronavirus, so maybe maybe LA is getting disinfected right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not going as far as drinking any bleach.
Speaker 6: So I'll tell you that that would be nice.
Speaker 2: What's on your mind?
Speaker 4: So my question to.
Speaker 6: You is, I have a dedicated sounds on user. I have a Note eight right now, and I've actually smashed the screen like three times, and you break. I fix it fixes things. They do them fast. I use them twice. I don't want to use them a third time now. But it's because I can't get a good screen protector for this curved screen. So I'd like to move to another phone that has a flat screen with out those stupid curved edges where I cannot get a screen protector to work. They're just terrible. And it's hard to research this online because I can't find I can't figure out who someone told me the Note ten had a flat screen, though I looked again it doesn't. So it's very difficult for me to find something online when I can't go into the briding store.
Speaker 3: So I was just wondering if.
Speaker 6: You knew anything off the top of your head. I was thinking pixel, but I've had some friends say that they don't think the rules that great with hardware, so I don't know. I'm an Android person.
Speaker 1: Well what okay?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: I think the pixel is an amazing device, and it is a flat screen and it's okay. I mean, I can't fully recommend the Pixel four because it's not the best device in the world, but it does it will take amazing pictures.
Speaker 2: It really, what do you want to do on your phone?
Speaker 6: It's just the usual stuff, you know, surfing the web, using my apps for social media, taking pictures. I'm not going to be doing any high powered like you know, I don't even want to note because I don't need that pen. I'm not going to be doing anything.
Speaker 4: And it's just personal use.
Speaker 6: Nothing high powered or professional or anything like that.
Speaker 1: They're not like an influencer on like Instagram or something that needs like you know, video.
Speaker 7: Editing that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the Pixel for Xcel probably would be a decent device. Now it's it's a good device, it's not I don't know if the screen size is as big as the phone that.
Speaker 2: You have right now.
Speaker 1: Let me see, no day screen size. So that is a six point three in screen and let's see what the pixel is pixel for Excel screen size. Uh, that's a let's see, Oh gosh, where is it? Screen size? Six point three? Yeah, so it's about the same screen size. So I don't know, and I love the pixel the software. Now, are you dedicated to SAMs Because if you love Samsung, like if there's certain little features, because they have a lot of little things in their software, it's you know, you're not going to get all those features. But it's a very clean and the best way I can describe a Google Pixel versus a Samsung. Google Pixel is very calming because there's not a lot going on, Whereas the Samsung there is a lot going on. You're always getting notifications from Samsung things and telling you to sign up for Samsung Pay and it's whoa, oh god, yes, So you know, having reviewed many phones over the years, that's the best way I can describe it. The Pixel is is calm. It's just it's just simple.
Speaker 2: It works.
Speaker 1: It just sits there and waits until you need to do something. Whereas the Samsung, I feel like it's always bugging me to do something.
Speaker 6: You know what. Yes, And that's not a bad thing, honestly, because like I hate the Bixi thing that's on my phone.
Speaker 4: I've never used it.
Speaker 6: I don't need to learn another piece of software. I'm just I'm just an Android person, you know. I don't I've never used an iPhone. I wanted to go that route, so I think you sold me on the Pixel for no.
Speaker 2: I think I think you might want to check it out. Now.
Speaker 1: The pictures, I hope you're prepared, because they are gonna be fantastic. I mean, so my mom, she regularly uses a pixel. I get her a Pixel usually every other model, and I recently got her the h I think it was a three XL that I was using and I gave it to her, and I mean, she doesn't want to switch because she loves the pictures. Every time she takes a picture, everyone's like, why is your picture so good?
Speaker 2: And it is. It is amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're gonna be really impressed with the pictures on that thing. And I think, again, the calm, the calm nature of that device, and you know, I think I think you'll like it.
Speaker 2: And it is flat.
Speaker 1: Now, the case I recommend that if you drop your phone it's gonna be fine is the spec Presidio Grip. And I really like that case because it it really just it's it just really makes that phone. It makes the phone just so like it's just it's it's a little bit bigger, but it's not as big as like a giant case, and it just makes the phone, so you're not gonna drop it. Everything's gonna be good, and it's just a really nice little device. So I would recommend that. That's that's my recommendation for you.
Speaker 6: So that's what I needed to hear because I'm stuck trying to research things online and I'm like, I don't know what to do. I can't go to the store and talk to people, like.
Speaker 2: No, I can't. I can't take a look at the phones.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I needed.
Speaker 6: Rich awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Rachel, thanks for calling in and good luck, and I hope you give me an update on what you think.
Speaker 6: Okay, I will thank you so much. I have a great afternoon.
Speaker 2: Stay cool, stay.
Speaker 1: Cool, all right, moving right along with the show. So phone lines are open five to one, six, three eighty seven, thirteen twenty six. Oh wow, we're almost done with the show. I can't believe it. This thing goes fast this week. Let's see, Voodoo is being acquired by Fandango. So Voodoo near and dear to my heart, because this was a company that kind of revolutionized streaming video and specifically movies so back in the day, this is I'm talking back in like two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: This was a new concept.
Speaker 1: To have every movie in the world available on your TV at any time just by pressing the button on your remote was a new concept. People did not know what this was all about. Back in the day, you had to download things from iTunes and that took a long time. Even if you had an Apple TV, you had to download at least a portion of the file before you can start playing the movie. And that might take a long time because guess what, you didn't have the fastest internet connection. Then Voodoo comes along and this was a startup. They came out with a box that did something pretty smart. It would preload a portion of the movies in the background, so that when you went on the box, it would say, well, we kind of know a lot of people are watching trolls right now, so let's just download, like, you know, a little bit of trolls that when you press play, you can start watching that movie instantly, and then your internet connection has time in the background while you're watching to catch up with the rest of the download.
Speaker 2: And this was a.
Speaker 1: Pretty new idea back then. And actually Amazon fireTV when it first came out, had that same technology. I'm not sure if they still use that technology because now our internet connections are so fast that it may not matter, but this is the reality of it. And I tested this out with my friend Bald Brian, and he did not like it because his Internet was so slow. It did not work at all, so he gave it a terrible review. And maybe it was indicative of voodoo struggles over the years because Voodoo kind of did not get the proper reception it deserved for coming up with this amazing technology. And I think they're there to thank for what we have today. And Voodoo ended up being acquired by Walmart. Walmart never seemed to do anything big with them. It just didn't really work out. They never integrated them in a big way into their offerings or the synergy wasn't there with the stores. And now Fandango is buying them. So now Fandango's buying Voodoo, And long story short, if you have movies on Voodoo, they're gonna be okay. They're going to transfer it to Fandango, And I don't know if the Voodoo name is going to stick or if they're going to move it over to Fandango now, but for now it's going to stay. But just know that your movies are going to be safe. If you're doing a movie collection at all, and you've got various movies in different places like I did back in the day, check out an app called Movies Anywhere. And what Movies Anywhere does is it aggregates all of your movies from everywhere and anywhere, I should have said, and it puts them all in one place. And so if you have movies on Amazon, on Voodoo, on iTunes, it supports let's see, I'm gonna tell you all the different things. It supports a lot of services. And this company was amazing, was it still is. It's actually owned by Disney. It was started by Disney. So it works with Apple TV, so iTunes, Prime Video, Voodoo, Google Play YouTube, Verizon, Fandango now Xfinity, and Microsoft Movies and TV.
Speaker 2: So all those.
Speaker 1: Movies you can have in one place and not just like you don't actually even have to go to the app to play the movies. You can just go to the individual apps and they're all synced up. So it's kind of cool. There is one holdout, and that is Paramount Studios. They are not a part of this. So almost every movie is except anything you have paramount. So if you have any paramount stuff, it's just not gonna work. All right, enough of an old man Rich giving history lessons, So six ' three to one, you're on with Rich six ' three to one. Hang on before you come on, six to three one. I just saw a question on the Facebook Live Sissy says, why are you not using wireless earplugs?
Speaker 2: Isn't that the best way to go?
Speaker 1: Yes, normally, and I do love my AirPods, but the problem is I've got too many Bluetooth things here, and so my AirPods kind of bounce between some of these things. And so when I wire in, I know exactly what I'm hearing and what I can troubleshoot much easier when I'm on a podcast. There's a lot of stuff going on here. I know it sounds easy to you guys as you're watching, because you hear your stuff and you call in like a radio station. But to be able to do this at home by yourself is kind of a lot. And so I need to make sure that I have as many issues minimized as possible. So that's why I do the wired earplugs and not wireless.
Speaker 2: All right, six three one, you're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with? Sixt three to one? Hello?
Speaker 4: Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 2: Are you there?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Yes, I'm calling because I have a question about the iPhone. It's okay, and I just receive an iPhone eleven, but I ask a question about iPhone s E and they don't give me much information about it. Can you tell me more about.
Speaker 1: What is the difference the difference between the iPhone eleven and the iPhone SE. So the iPhone eleven is going to have a bigger screen, it's going to have more camera, so you get a wide angle and you're going to get a wide angle lens with that device, so you can take wide angle pictures.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Other than that, that is the biggest difference that I can think of off the top of my head. So you're getting and you're also.
Speaker 8: Getting a better campray earlier, I'm sorry you say earlier that the SE the last three years? Right, So how long does the iPhone eleven last?
Speaker 1: I would say about the same, because they're they're both running the same processor. The three year kind of timeline I gave was based on the brand new processor and kind of the track record of Apple with iOS software updates. So generally, you know, we've got phones that are about four years old that are just kind of edging out of the update approval process. I guess you can say like they you know, you can no longer get iOS thirteen on a certain device. I think it's about a four year old device.
Speaker 2: So when it.
Speaker 1: Comes to that, that's kind of what I was basing it on.
Speaker 8: Okay, so I think, do you think that SE is much better than iPhone eleven? Right?
Speaker 1: No, the SE I don't think is better than the iPhone eleven because the iPhone eleven you get more with that device because it is a bigger screen and it is a better camera. So again it really comes down to the price. The iPhone eleven is also more expensive than this phone. So if you want the iPhone eleven, I believe the entry level price is six hundred and fifty dollars, And so if you're if you're talking six fifty versus four hundred, you know that's a that's a considerable amount of money.
Speaker 2: So it is, but it depends what you need. I didn't catch your name. What your name.
Speaker 1: Myra, Myra, So sorry, the iPhone eleven starts at six ninety nine, so you're talking a three hundred dollars difference. So, Myra, my advice to you if you're trying to decide between these two things is do you need a bigger screen and do you need a better camera with a wide angle lens? Those are the two things that set the iPhone eleven apart from the iPhone se. But again you're going to be paying three hundred dollars more for those two things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I am Ruben.
Speaker 1: On the live representative, and Ruben on the live actually mentioned.
Speaker 8: Idea as well in size and he said that it will be almost the same as the iPhone No eleven.
Speaker 2: No, that's not true.
Speaker 1: Screen size on the iPhone eleven is is six inches and the other one is four point seven. So there it's a it's significantly larger screen. So yeah, there you go, Roger says, put the phone on the screen. So there it is. So this is the iPhone se and it is considerably smaller than this is my that's my iPhone and the iPhone eleven Pro Mac. So that's going to be you know, you're talking, this is this is a little bit bigger than the iPhone eleven, but it's still I mean you could see the screen is is gonna be a lot. It's going to be bigger on the iPhone eleven, that's for sure. So again I guess, I guess. And also the face I D which Rubin brought up, which I kind of forgot. The face ID is also another one. So do you want that face I D? Personally, I don't think face ID is. I don't think that's a feature that you need. I actually personally like the touch I D sensor better because you control when your phone is unlocked much in a much more clear way than the than the face I D.
Speaker 2: So does that help?
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: What do you think you're gonna go with?
Speaker 8: H the SE? I believe because he mis explaining what whatever the difference is between the screen and the one I have is iPhone seven plus, but he told me that it was bigger the iPhone. I don't know. And I want the same size, well, I want.
Speaker 2: You want if you want the same size plus, if you want.
Speaker 1: The same size as the seven plus, I would recommend going the iPhone eleven because the SE is going to be considerably smaller, I mean considerably smaller.
Speaker 2: So a little bit smaller, I'd say considerably considerably.
Speaker 1: Yes, So if you want that big screen life, I think you got to go with the iPhone eleven. And if you trade in your phone by the way, are you going to trade in your device?
Speaker 8: No? No, I am keeping it.
Speaker 1: Oh you're keeping it, okay. I was gonna say, cause you can get a little trade in. Yeah, I myra I would recommend the iPhone eleven just because if you want that big screen, if you're used to it, I would say that's probably the way to go. So good question. And Reuben, thanks for getting me on the face I d I guess I don't really see that as a benefit per se. I mean, I like the face ID, but I'm not, like, you know, I'm not, you know, totally in love with it. I think it's cool, but it's not like a must have feature for me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Nintendo, if you have a Nintendo account, run, do not walk, Run and set up two factor authentication on that account, because apparently a lot of accounts are getting hacked. And I checked this morning on my Nintendo account, and a lot of times. The reason most of the time, if you get hacked on like a random account, not that big of a deal if it's something that's not very exciting. But with a Nintendo account, you probably have a credit card link to that account if you ever purchased something from Nintendo, like coins or whatever, an app anything, So I would go in right now to your Nintendo account and set up two steps authentication now, and I did it. I had to use a an authentication app, which I was looking online to see if they actually will send you a text message, which it doesn't seem like they will. So an authentication app is a little trickier than just setting up like you know, where they text you a message and it has a little number in it. You've seen that before, so it is a little bit more involved if you if if it's true that they can't do that. I did not see that option because I was all prepared to just put in my phone number and have them text me when I you know, when someone logs in. But apparently you need one of these apps, and you can use a couple. There's some Google authenticator, but the one I like is called auth au Thy. So if you're doing two factor authentication, authe is really good. And I find that it's better than Google Authenticator, So I would check out auth the au thy and please set up two factor authentication on your Nintendo account as soon as you can. If you got one for your kids, please please please do that. All right, Oh my gosh, we're almost to the end of the show. Should I take one more call? Let's see? Um five six two you're on with Rich. Five six two.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich?
Speaker 1: Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 3: Rich?
Speaker 7: This is Alan, Hey Allen, Long Beach.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Hot?
Speaker 2: Even in Long Beach?
Speaker 1: It's hot, isn't that?
Speaker 2: That's scary?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we always get a little hot out here because the way we're positioned.
Speaker 2: So o interesting. I didn't know that. So Long Beach is hotter than other beaches.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 7: Usually Long Beach we've gotten into triple digits. Manhattan Beach, were down to Beach, Formosa Beach, Sunset Beach, Newport Beach. To Beach could be twenty degrees cooler. It's just the way we're being faced.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: Oh, I did not know that. Okay, well, good to know. Well, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 7: Well, I have a question with regards to some wireless earbuds I've been very prone to using bows. I like the sound. I like the way their ear pieces fit in the ear. It's kind of a secure as you're talking, it doesn't fall out. I just recently had the wired ones and I usually keep my phone in my back pocket and I sat down and I heard a snap and that was in of the pin that went in. I'm currently using a brand called Aeroplex by Aftershock, which is the one that I guess sits on your right by your ear the sound bone, and you can hear pretty good, but the quality is not that great. I did buy a pair of Jabra sixty five t Elite. I didn't like the sound on that, and half the time the left side would never connect. So what do you I'm using an Android, uh, and I was just wondering, what do you recommend? The Aniplex is kind of cool because you know, you can still hear, but it vibrates on your your sound bone, and sometimes I get a little.
Speaker 1: Bit like, you know, it's a little bit much. I can see that. Have you thought of these Samsung ear pods.
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 7: Again, I like the way that I know boses are very over christ but the sound quality is good. And I like the way the ear pieces sit in your ear because they get that little flange that goes in your ear.
Speaker 1: Well, the Galaxy the Galaxy buds sort of do that, and in fact, I think they do that more than the AirPods, so I mean from you know, really yeah, I mean it's that's like the new ones at least they definitely like they pop into your ear. So there's actually a piece that goes into your ear and kind of holds holds the bud there, and it's very small, very minimalistic. I think the sound quality is very good, and they just come out with the new version, so I mean, I I don't know, I'd recommend those, especially if you have a Samsung device. It's gonna work really nicely because you get all the extra kind of Samsung goodness built in. You kind of discounted them, so I'm curious. Why is it just because the way they fit in your ear?
Speaker 9: You think, uh, well, other like like other earbuds, whiles earbuds that I've used before, you know.
Speaker 7: As you're talking and your jaws moving, fallen.
Speaker 3: Out pop out, I will tell you that's the.
Speaker 7: Way that that happens. When the Bears had it in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that happens to me on like almost every set of earbuds that I test. But I will tell you, out of all of them, I felt like the Galaxy Buds actually fell out the least out of any that I tested. So I I, you know, I'm kind of like, I come from a place of I don't like the things to sit in your ear. So when AirPods came out, I was actually very impressed that they sat in my ear and stayed there because I run a lot too, so I need something that sits in my ears when I run, and I.
Speaker 2: Did run with the Galaxy buds.
Speaker 1: I will say when I got sweaty a little bit, I was having trouble with one of them popping out a little bit more.
Speaker 2: But they they really stayed in.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was pretty impressed with these things. So I would take a look at those. The problem with these earbuds is you can't really try them on, and you know, I mean especially now with the stores being closed and you know, all this stuff. But I don't know, I would take a look at those and see what you think. Because I was very impressed with them. I would recommend them. I have no reservations recommending those over a lot. And I'm believing I've tried the jabras.
Speaker 2: I do. There is one Jabra though you didn't like.
Speaker 1: See I had a problem with the job or too that I just they weren't as good as I thought they would be.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because I did.
Speaker 1: Like, there's one Jabra that actually came over my ear, like at the back of it and it held it in place really well.
Speaker 2: But I just didn't like the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I just didn't like as much.
Speaker 7: The only the only problem I had with the Jabra was the sound. Sound quality wasn't that great, but I kept losing the connection on the left side and I could never get it to reconnect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I've heard that before with Jabra, and that's that's very frustrating, especially with wireless, which but that happens with my AirPods sometimes. I you know, sometimes I go out of my house, I start a run and next thing you know, one of the air buds goes out and it's like, oh, it's a whole big thing. I got to go back to my house and it's it's a it's a whole big thing. But uh, well, I hope that helps with with some of your thoughts. I would check out the Galaxy Buds for sure. I think that you'll be pretty happy with them, and I'm sure they have a return policy if you're not and it doesn't work out. But I have I think those are some of the best after the AirPods. Can you believe it? That's gonna do it for this show. Thanks so much for listening. For links to anything I talked about, well, take a look at the show notes. But if you listen to the show regularly, you know that I don't actually put anything in there. Maybe I'll start. If you have a question for me, you can find me at richon tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: I know this episode was a little bit.
Speaker 1: Different, and I'm gonna stay online for just a little bit for the Facebook folks, but I got to end the podcast. When people see a podcast that's like two hours in their podcast thing, who wants to listen to that? No, So I try to keep it to a certain time and we're already over. But if you have a question for me, you can go to my website rich on tech dot tv. If you like this podcast, please rate and review it so other folks can find it. Just go to rate this podcast dot com slash rich on Tech and if you listen, please you share it on social media. Let your friends note, oh, keep this a secret. I think we'll talk to you real soon. And stay safe.