Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: We are getting closer to crowning an NBA champ and with the action heating up on the court hotter than ever. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. It's great, I've got it.
Speaker 3: You should.
Speaker 2: Takes less than ninety seconds. Official sports betting partner of the National Basketball Association. Okay, now we got the conference finals Pacers Celtics, t Wolves, Dallas Mavericks. These games have been so great live betting, same game parlays, odds, boosts, So much is covered. It's super easy for first timers to get started. Try betting on something simple like a team to win. So you go to the DraftKings Sports Book app again. Download it ninety seconds, select your squad, place your bet. It's that simple.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: New to DraftKings. It's called no sweat bet. This is a new one. It's easy, called no sweat bet. Up to fifteen hundred dollars. Just to posit at least five bucks. That's it. Five bucks, a five spot, that's it, and you'll get a bonus bet back if your bet doesn't hit. Yeah, I said it right. If your bet doesn't hit, download DraftKings Sportsbook app. The Coda's Colin that's me. Coli N. Draftking sportsbook app download columns. Coli N. New customers.
Speaker 3: No sweat bet.
Speaker 2: Up to fifteen hundred dollars you get if you just deposit five bucks and your first bet doesn't hit. Only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, VOYD and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issueance. See DKNG dot co slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. I asked you all I know the inner child in me is at Disney World right now, excited as hell to be doing this interview. I like to do intros and name off accolades. I'll be sitting here forever trying to name these accolades. So not going to do that, but would like to welcome none other than the one and only Shack Diesel shackstra dumbis the big Cactus. And the list goes on and on. My man, Shack, what's up, brother, I'm not talking to you and to you and dress me as my correct name. The Black Steph Curry, the Black Steph Curry. There it is. We got another one. Just like that, We got another one now, man number one. I want to say thank you, like I said, just what you've meant to me and my life from Afar. I was just telling Travis when we was on the way over here, like I still remember the first time I ever met you in the picture we took at Staples Center and he was looking the other way, and shit.
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, you know, looking the other way. Hey.
Speaker 1: I did not think anything of it. I was happy as hell to get the picture. But before we get started, and I want to say, I've always appreciated the way you play.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know, we always get in this conversation about us, and then you play like us big dog. I know he wasn't six eight six nine. I told you six okay, yeah, I know you wasn't six eighty six nine, but you always played really big for your size. I appreciate the way you play all the text and files and all that bullshit. That's what you gotta do to win. And at the end of the day, you got four of them things and that's all that matter. So I want to say I appreciate you, no doubt, and the way that you play. Thank you, Thank you man. That means a lot to me. So just and getting into it. Number one, I want to ask you about your approach in TV because what I've seen is so many guys get up there and I try to be sure that I'm not doing it myself, but so many times you see guys get up there and they want to throw stones, you know, and it's specific. You get former players getting up there throwing stones at guys, acting acting as if they weren't players. But we always say, once you're a player, you're always a player, and you get so many guys that just go up there throwing stones, not standing up for guys acting like they were perfect when they played as if they ain't ever do, and you always take the opposite approach.
Speaker 3: Can you talk to me first off, just about that. We all get criticized. You know.
Speaker 1: I was told one day, if there's some truth in the criticism, you have to look at it different. Like Shaq could have been a great player ever, but he wasn't a great free throw shitter. Can't get mad at that. It's truth in that, right. So when I criticize players, I try to put some truth in it. Like for ten to fifty years, people think that I hate d way, I actually really love the way. A little bit of me probably a little bit more athletic and jump higher. I would always say you got an average twenty eight ten. I would always say you're not dominating. So hopefully he would get the message and say, fuck you, Shaq, this is what I gotta do. It's what Kareem abdu Jabard did to me. When I first got to LA I was putting up historical numbers and we was getting swept and Kareem's that one day they said, shack Man, Shacks are gonna be a great player like you. He said, is he really that great? They're not winning and he has G fourteen classification to say that, And you know, I could have took it as a jab, like Kareem, you're just hating because I'm averaging more points to you and I make moment, But I was like, you know what, he gave me the lesson inside the criticism. So when I criticize, I just try to give the lesson. And you know, sometimes people take it the right way and sometimes people don't. But people like me and you, we have G fourteen classification. We know what it takes to play at a certain level, and we know what it takes to win the championship four times. So a lot of times when we say something like I know what the fuck I'm talking about. So and then a lot of times I test people out, I'm motherfuckers off to see what I'm dealing with. Same thing I did the Cope, same thing I did the Penny, same thing I did to d Wade. And if you respond and turn it into greatness, I know I'm dealing with a fucking dog. Like I jumped on Donovan one time and he kind of he kind of went, so I knew I had to handle him with with you know, kitting gloves. But so a lot of times I try to criticize and give you the answers, and a lot of times I just try to just say something hateful just to see who you are, because again, I wouldn't want to listen to a guy like me, because you know what, the best thing I did was listen to Kareem Abdul Jabbar and he said, I'm motherfucker, he great, but he ain't that great and he ain't winning, and I'm looking up at the fucking Jerseys. I'm like, fuck, he right, I gotta start winning, you know. So you know, I try to protect the guys as you know, much as possible, but people like us don't. We don't have to hate like we actually know what we're talking about. And you know, sometimes guys understand it and sometimes they don't. Like the other day and it went viral. I don't know why I went went went viral. Joker is my guy. I'll always talked great about Joker, right absolutely, And I said to him, I said, Joker, I want you to hear this from me. Other people like Shannon Sharp don't get on they fucking podcast and twist and trying to make it look like I'm hating and I said, Yo, you're the best big man in the league. You're my favorite player. You're the vice president of the Big Man Alliance. However, I think SGA should have got MVP. Like when you're a man and you know you're dealing with another man, respect is a must. Like Draymond, you shouldn't have kicked them in the balls. I'm not hating. I'm just saying, bro, they need you for the next game. You should ain't like I'm hating. So you know, so for people who don't try to understand the clarity that we have and they try to make it something different.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad you asked that question.
Speaker 1: So again to your answer, I try to criticize, but give you the answers to the test, like, hey, you want to be dominant average twenty eight ten and you know, hey, Donovan, you ain't no superstar yet. I want you to sometimes say fuck shock and just go do what you do because if we protect this thing of ours, guy's gonna be making eighty or anything. They say that when this next deal come around, Luker gonna be making eighty. Man. That ain't because of me, that's because of doctor j. He gave it to Mike Man gave it to me. I gave it to Bron. Bron gave it to y'all. Y'all about to give it to Luca Luke, about to give it to wom Beyona. So we have to make sure that you know, all these guys play at a high level and the ones that that really take it as hate, the ones that don't, that don't understand. I don't really care. You just mentioned Donovan when you said when you said he wasn't a superstar yet? Is he a superstar now? Has he crossed that now? Because that was like two three years ago when you said that he's close and you know, as you know, there's a fine luverer between fine line between a star and a superstar close. I would like to see him dominate more. Any guy that can put up numbers anytime he wants shows me that you're a puppy, but you can be trained to be a mean dog. You ever see a bunch of puppies and you're looking at that one puppies, that's the one you always pick because you be like, if he's aggressive right now, I could train him to be more aggressive. So like when I went at him, I made it seem like a disc but I wanted him to respond be like, Okay, watch this, because that's what all the Gretes do. I sit back and I still watch you today like I watched you when I was a kid. Only difference is then you were playing the game of basketball and now we're all watching you crush the game of life from a business perspective, just from a legend. And everything that you do, we're watching you do it at the highest level, and I admire that. And one question that I have for you is how is it that you have stayed human?
Speaker 3: And when I say stayed human, here's what I'm saying. You are.
Speaker 1: Seven to one, three hundred plus pounds African American man, so you're already bigger than everyone. That's a strike against you in height and mass. You're a black man in America, that's a strike against you.
Speaker 3: You are a legend.
Speaker 1: Most people won't believe it, but that's actually a strike against you. Because people put you on a pedestal. They want to tear you off the pedestal. Everything that you do is going to be criticized. How is it that you have stayed human to people like approachable? You know, no one's like people see you and they're like, oh my god. And like when I see you with people, you're immediately able to break that ice, Like how have you stayed that through the success and through all the things that are up against you, just naturally because of who you are in the way that you look. You know, when I first got drafts, I was making a lot of money and I took my mom to a restaurant. Was acting big Willie. I was acting like I was a shit and my mother was disappointed, and she said, son, it cost you nothing to be nice. So I dropped the arrogant thing now because you know, coming from where we come from, we didn't have anything, and now I got it. So that's my world. You're gonna do what the fuck out? You know, all that attitude. She's like, it cost you nothing to be nice. And then one time I was in LA and I was at a restaurant and I saw a superstar. I'm gonna say his name, but a kid came and asked for autograph. He fucking made the kid cry. And I always said to myself, I ever get the superstar status, I'm I always take care of the kids. My mama said, be nice, I'm going to take care of my family. Everything I do is for my family, especially my mother. You know where we played the game of basketball and they paid pay us a lot of money from two to seventeen. It hit me when I first got drafted. My mom never had her own house, and she never really had her own house. And like you know, they, you know, our parents, they give us the basics. Be respectful, go to school, get this education, and make sure you always work hard. That was, you know, the basis for a family. So when I said to myself, you know what, I'm about to buy my mama house, right, I'm about to buy my dad the same six hundred mestadies I got. I'm about to take care of my brother. I'm about to take care of my family. Now, there's many ways to lose that, you know, the ways to lose that. So you stay away from that and you lean towards the stuff that keeps it, you know, start businesses, you know, educate yourself on you know, financial stability or you know, financial wealth. Everything I do is for my family. And now that I have seven children, now I have to do and I have to say the right thing, good thing about me and my crew, is if I happen to get offline, they can check me. Like I did a little AI disc record. My mom wasn't happy with that, so I'm done with it. I ain't gonna say nothing else about it. So you know, that's you know, another attribute I have as I always listen. You know, the world famous Uncle Jerome absolutely the only one that could turn my motoro like he tell you bullshiting like I used to. You know, I got tired of duncan and go to my jump hook. So every now and then I like to shoot the fade away and I may miss, for as soon as I fucking hit one, I look at him and be like, don't nobody want to see that shit?
Speaker 3: Fuck that, don't shoot that dumbas shit.
Speaker 1: So you know, you have to listen sometimes and you have to, you know, follow your goals and you have to stick to your principles. You know, my mother is an avid TV watcher. I would never want to want to her sitting down seeing me do something crazy and then FOTM, don't fuck off the money, do not fuck off the money. So I try to do the right thing. I try to say the right thing, and just being nice. I'm fifty years old. No, no need for me to be arrogant towards anybody that looks up to me, looks up to me. No need for me to be arrogant towards anybody. You know, if you approach me the wrong way, I know how to reapproach you with that same energy. But listen, I'm a nice guy. I've fulfilled all my dreams. You know, all my children hate using this word, but I have seven perfect children, like they don't give me no problems. A couple in college, a couple of graduated. Shout out to my nephew, Miles Bailey. You just graduated. I'm gonna help him get in law school. So you know, the family is very important to me. So again, I just try to do and just try to say the right thing. You know, keep my mouth shut. I don't get into the gossip mats and all that, and I just try to make people's mouth You did the unthinkable. We've seen a couple guys attempt to do it.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: I think the latest and most popular was Big Baller brand with the with the ball family, you start a shock the Parlin sneakers clothes and starting that as a household name as the Shaquille O'Neill most dominant player we've ever seen play. I remember sixth grade a pair of shoes that my grandfather bought me from Kmart, I want to say shacks. They were kind of all white with the black down the middle, like through the soul, through the tongue, kind of had like a and.
Speaker 3: Thirty bucks as a household name.
Speaker 1: As when people say premium, like you want to do premium things. You said, no, I'm gonna have these thirty dollars sneakers number one. How did you accomplish that? Because you're going up against Nike, you're now the president, Reebok.
Speaker 3: Owner and president and Rebok Adidas.
Speaker 1: You're going up against all these brands and you say, no, I'm gonna go do my own number I help me understand how did you go about that process? Who did you do it with? To help you understand the marketing and the distribution and all of those things. Initially to start it. So one day me and my cousin Kenny, we're leaving practice in Orlando Magic and Orlando Magic was the first marine I had was in the hood. So they used to come out shack shack uh. Matter of fact, Marquise Daniels when I was playing with him with Boston one time. He said, Yo, man, you don't remember me, and I said no, and he showed me a picture. He was one of those kids I used to always come and get all the graph jersey and get tickets and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one day me and my cousin Kenny, we walking out the back of this lady. She's coming, she's, you know, dragging us on, and she's not smiling. The boy's shack shacks. She's not smiling, and she's like, you motherfucking I was like, what did I do?
Speaker 3: I don't know you.
Speaker 1: You motherfuckers got these high ass motherfuckers niggers my baby. You know he want these fucking high ass reboxing. I can't afford him, so, you know, me, I had a couple of stacks. I was like, man, I don't do the price point. Here's the money, and she smacked the money out of my hand. I want that, won't you motherfuckers make an affordable shoe. And I'm riding in the car and I'm thinking, I was like, that was my mom and me. I asked my dad for some jorings. Tell that motherfucker looked at me like, man, you back, get the fuck out my face. He looked at me like that. I had to cut grass and fucking wash car and sell lemonade and all that bullshit. And then by the time I got my one hundred and ten dollars, I was scade fifteen. I bought some thirteen. That's why my toes all fucked. I ain't gonna show my toes on you, but that's something like I tried to squeeze those Jordan, So all that shit was going back to me, and I said, you know what, call Reebo can tell him after this, I'm gonna do my own thing. So if you look at this brand right here, and we're all creatures, creatures of our environment, Jordan has to what jump man And this is the dunk Man. So when I was in college one time the professor said, create something that you can see being sold in the future. And you know me, shack shirt, shack draws sign suck. So I you know, I was in the marketing class, I was in business class. So I patting it the dunk make be cause that's how I dunk. I tried to put my nuts in your face. So that right here dunk Man was created in eighty nine ninety and I was going and then I was talking to my dad about it. I was like, this shit might not work. I'm going up against these powerhouses. And he said something, He said, there's more poor people than there are rich people. I was like, shit, So, you know, I think it only worked because I was a household name.
Speaker 3: You know that. Of course you had Jordan and all those guys.
Speaker 1: But I was saying, I'm shock and the only thing that took me a while to get is even though they're thirty dollars, you can't make them look like they're thirty dollars because you know how we get fucking criticized in the hood, and like people always hear stories how people used to get bullied for wearing my shoes. That's because their mindset what wasn't right. I never made shoes that looked like thirty dollars. I ever went over the china and be like, mother fuck, I want the same leather, I want the same everything. So I just tried to keep the price pointing down. And that's why I did that, because you know, it was the right thing to do, and you know, when it was it was Rebuck another person than me. Now it's just me and the shoe manufactured guy. So you know, if you could go with Walmart, who has fifty thousand doors, k Mart got that and then it was a it was a no brainer. And then you get with all these companies and they say, okay, we don't want to shut brand. Let's say okay, so I'll just create the dunk Man brand. So dunk Man was at k Mart and Shaq was at Walmart, and I was just and I just sat back. It wasn't like you know because listen, back then when I first came in, brother, I had so much money.
Speaker 3: I didn't need no more money.
Speaker 1: So I was like, if I don't make money, cool, But you know, I got a report one day they said, bro, you don't sold since you started this, you know, sold two fifty it's up to about four hundred million pair now. But now where I got this new company, and we're coming with that funk now were about to so we were downstairs, so we're about to come mid level. And then you know, even even you know upstairs, because Magic Johnson said something to me very important. He says, its okay to be the man. But at some point you want to start owning things.
Speaker 3: So this is what I own.
Speaker 1: This is mine, and you know a lot of people liking and respect it, and I'm gonna keep giving them stuff that looks good, but at a price they can afford. In twenty sixteen, a friend of mine introduced me to authentic brand groups. I had no clue what the fuck it was, what they did, what it meant, how you go about it. As I've gained more business knowledge and contacts, I've learned more about what it is. And when I was introduced to authentic Brands Group, I was actually introduced to it by this is who Shack just partnered with.
Speaker 3: And I thought it.
Speaker 1: Was a very interesting lesson for me because it was this is who Shacks just partnered with, not this is who Shacks just sold his company to.
Speaker 3: Can you walk me through that process?
Speaker 1: Off, you partner with authentic brand groups but necessarily didn't take all cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Ever, since a youngster, jealousy motivates me. Jealous of Steph Curry, I wish I could fucking shoot like that. I'm jealous of Clay. I wish my jump shot was that motherfucking pretty like I'm jealous of Brown he's almost a billionaire.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Instead of taking that jealousy and turning the hate, it turns into motivation. So I'm walking down Hollywood Boulevard and I'm like, how the fuck is Elvis who's been dead for six years still make money? So now I start studying because Bro, I'm walking down Holly every fucking store, bro Elvis shirts, hats, And this is towards the end of shack and you know how that is towards the ending. Motherfuckers act like they forget who you are. I'm like, you know what fuck that? I want to left forever. So I'm I'm seeing all this Elvis and Marilyn Monroe shit. So I did my research and I met with two companies and I was like, hey, I want to you know, this is who I am, and this is what I built, you know, me Mike and Perry and Colin and leonnond Romanlo, this is what we built to be interested, you know, doing a partnership with it. And the first companies say, yeah, we want to buy, we want to own it. I said, oh, how much you talking?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 1: And then you know I've met with you know, authentic brands. They said, hey, yeah, we want to buy. I want to be your partners. I said, well, can I invest in your company? So they wrote me a big check and I wrote them a big check. And now I'm the number two. And basically what this does is just make sure my name lists forever. And if it doesn't lift forever, all the brands that we own my business still lift together. And again, it's all about family. I have seven kids. You know, my kids got mad at me because I you know, I did a little speech and I was trying to be funny, but I was serious.
Speaker 3: We're not rich.
Speaker 1: I'm rich, so I want them to be able to work and understand, and you know, because like I always show them what respectable nepotism is. I took my second son, Charief, with me to a business conference and he was amazed at the Walmart family will make every member that wants to be where I work with the family, make them take an aptitude test. And however you score on the test, that's where you're gonna start at. So one guy who was part of the Walmart family was very wealthy. He's like, I didn't take the test seriously. So my uncle made me shuffle shit for two years at the horse farm, but teaching them the business of horse manure business. And I was so like he learned that, so charife was a made. I was like, this is how it works, my brother. I'm here, but only the kids can take it. Boom boom boom boom man. And that's what I'm you know, trying to, you know, show my kids. A lot of people in your position, with the amount of wealth that you accumulated, they most people do one of two things. They passed their money only their hairs. And some people do what called ruling it from the grave, where if you die, they got for ravens that they can't get out of to protect people. Others give it away like you got these different given pleasures and different things nowadays, and they.
Speaker 3: Give it all the charity.
Speaker 1: What is your mindset around your children and how you either give them money as they become adults or when you die, or like, nah, I works for this and you need to learn to go work on your own and I'm giving it all the way.
Speaker 3: What's your approach to.
Speaker 1: Those I told my kids all the time, we don't need another basketball player in the family. Give me a lawyer, give me a veterinarian, give me a hedgphune operator. So they get something. But the higher they go in education, the more they get. And you know, I tell them all the time, I said, school is important. Education is important to me. You know, I wasn't the smartest guy in the book, but you know I took things that were very hard and broke it down to a simple as form. Like you know, when I was learning business and school, I really didn't understand it until I got with a businessman and he showed me what a joint venture was. He showed me what a you know, sub chapter S corporation is. So I was like, oh, this is what it means to get education. So I just tell them, whatever it is you want to do, let me know. I'll hook you up and I'll start you off, and once you master that, we'll be on our way. And again, I hate you nothing that that pe word, but I got I don't have no problem to none of my babies, none at all.
Speaker 3: Man, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Getting into the basketball you had the opportunity to play with and in a major way, d Wade, Kobe, and Penny. You played with Brin. To me, that was kind of the tell end of your career. Like it wasn't your as shocked dominant as you were with those guys. When you look at those three guys, though, rate them. It's tough to rate them because we speak a language. Right if I say in our language, but it gets out not saying that you show would do that. But even if you put out a clip, the ones that don't comprehend our language, that try to make it look like I'm rating them, But I'm gonna rate him because you're a good friend of nobody, and he asked me to do it. Kobe number one, he had the Master kill him in Dellity, and I like to say I help him get that because when he first came in, I put the Donovan tests on. I fuck you ain't shit, I don't shoot fuck that, and it would drive him crazy. You know you talk about the six five six hours a day in the gym. Yeah, he did that just so he could shut me the fuck up. And I loved it because I already knew what I was gonna do. I already knew I was gonna get you twenty eight ten in the playoffs, thirty five whatever, but I needed another guy, and I always used to piss him off. You know you know this very well. I don't know how your team was, but you know for a fact, you don't have to be like this to win the championship. You do not on the court you have to be like this, but attitudes and minute you don't have to be like that. So, you know, we used to always go at it and it was I don't want to say my fault, but I knew what the fuck I was doing because when he came in, he showed me that he wanted to be a dog. He was that puppy that was nibbling on a chair and I was like, okay, watch this, motherfuck. He ain't nah fuck, don't shoot shoot it again, motherfucker want so like he just shoot to piss mother. And then by the time he got into itself and I kind of had to make a decision like, you know, feels like listen, let him do what he doing the fourth quarter. And once I made that decision, I was like, you know, and then we was because like, first three quarter, give me the fucking ball, let me do what I'm gonna do, let me get us in the penalty. And then because I'm not a great free throw shooter, fourth quarter, I'll step back and you do what you do. And we did that, and you know he sacrificed. He did because he all those finals where he helped me win the championship. He damn sure could have easily got found with the MVP. But that was our plan, big dog E for the first three and the fourth I takeover And my favorite game in Indiana was our first championship where I filed out and I looked at him. I was like this, if we lose, it's all my fucking fuck, shacky, motherfucker. You want to be a rapper, you're doing movies and you ain't contentrating on your free throws. I don't know what my percentage was, but it wasn't black Steph Curry like, so I already know if we fucking lose this series gonna be my fuck. I'm looking at Kobe, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Do me like that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, and that mo fucker he had an incredible four or five like in it, And then I knew then we was gonna win out win our first championship. So him for that Penny ultimate team player and mofucker. And I don't know if you know the story, but at my second my first movie no second movie, Blue Chips. So you know, it was already a problem for me to go fucking shooting movies. You're not gonna be able to work out. So it was in my contract I got to work out from eight to twelve. So they built a little fucking gym and I got all the NBA players that run down and this motherfucker is diaming me up like crazy six seven.
Speaker 3: My fuck's smooth and I'm.
Speaker 1: Running and as soon as I go like that, the fucking balls there, I'm spending. He throwing the libs. I was like, yo, man, who the fuck is this actor? Cause you know, you know we on the movie. They said, that's Penny Hardaway. And I don't know about you, but I don't be looking at college players seeing who the fuck coming. I got ship to do, so I don't know who the fuck is this dude. He's like, man, that's fucking Penny Hardaway. And I can remember before I left, you know, us losing and getting swept. These scott come to me and say, Yo, man, you gotta fucking takeover because I'm the I'm the military kid, I'm the discipline kid. Yes, sir, no, sir, whatever you say sir these Scott was like, man, fuck that, you gotta take over. So I was like, you know what, Now I'm gonna try it. Hey, man, you know who Penny Hardaway is. Yeah, we might not get him. We want the first pig we want to go with Seawe. Nowh fuck that, You're gonna have to get Penny. Yeah, I don't know if we can get Penny. Listen, what the fuck I'm telling you right now? My dealer is up in two years. If you don't give me what I wanted to help me win this championship, I'm gonna have to look elsewhere. So me and Kenny and Uncle Jerome we have the house. We watching the draft, they draft Chris Webber. I'm fucking picking up lamps. I'm just tearing the motherfucking house upart because I'm like, these motherfuckers didn't listen to me. They tested me. You know, because now that I put myself in charge, motherfucker, I'm in charge, you're gonna have to do the fuck I say, or else I'm gonna have to go thwirl where they're gonna let me be in charge. So I'm tearing the fucking house up and going crazy. Kenny and I'm trying to wrest me to the floor and then they say, wait, wait, the Onlando Magic make a trade with the Golden State Warriors for Penny for Chris, and I was like, oh shit, they did it.
Speaker 3: They listened to me.
Speaker 1: So now de Scott them don't know what I got because I don't know if they know Penny, but I know this motherfucker is nice. So him and d Wade our first argument was in the finals, we go down, Oh two, I'm declining the shack. I'm going through divorce. I'm not shocked. I have my first two games fucking terrible offer. So I'll pull d Wade in the room. The fuck you gonna do? Man, motherfucker you want to be the man? What the fuck are you gonna do? And he was he's he had a looker. It wasn't I wasn't trying to fight. I was just asking the question. He had a look at relief like, oh, I can't say, yeah, mofuck, I got four people on me. I just took well. In the future, I'm gonna talk to my good friend Draymond. He he gonna tell me they're gonna put a motherfucker in front of me behind me. That's the fuck they're doing to me right now. What the fuck are you gonna do? Though, and he he said, okay, shack and he went off. So it's not that I'm rating them, even though I answer you a question. I was fortunate enough to play with three of the greatest guards and Bron. Bron had so much power, Like when I got there, I've never seen a young kid with that much power and deserbingly so like he had everything in order, and it was just so and I think we could have we could have possibly went further. I don't know if you remember we were when first the whole year, Big Baby broke my thumb and I was out.
Speaker 3: I came back. I wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't you know at that time was already declined to shack and you break my thumb and then I got to sit out five weeks and then try to come back and beat a Boston team. It wasn't gonna happen, because you know, at that point, I was like, I gotta get fucking five before he did. I already got four, and this motherfucker I got so I was I was marine chasing, but you know, I was just you know, like you said, I want to just try to step in and you know, help people. And then when I went to Boston, same thing. I thought we could have made it pretty far. But I told my Achilles, But you know, I hate rating those guys because I don't want ignorant people don't understand our language, that try to twist it up. And oh he said Coolby was better. That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying all those guys had different attributes and they were great players. Do you regret and so you went so hard for Penny, for Orlando to get Penny, do you regret leaving Orlando as soon as you did, you know, not seeing it through with Penny the whole way.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: And the reason is I am programmed to Once you make a decision, you live with that decision, right or wrong. And you know one thing about my agent at the time, who Lennon ar Model was. He informed me about business. I knew where the money was going, you know when I came in, you know, because I think what even got me interested in playing basketball, John Concak was making fifteen for three. I was at home one day my father smacked me in the back of the head with a paper because I was a medium level juvenile the linker. I was like you, I was a fucking football guy, so I used to like to bring that pain. So I was like, you know, and then my high school coach said, you ain't gonna make it. I ain't had no scholarships. I already had a plan to join the fucking army. I already knew the army life was a good life. On a join the army. My father smacked the shit on me one day with a paper. Look at this and it was John Conckak. No disrespect to John, because you know I ended up playing with Johnny. He's a great fellow. And he said, hey, look at this, dude. So we got the fifteen for three. I ain't the smartest guy to where I know that's five in a year. So I'm watching John Concack play and San Antonio himis fer Arena, and I'm like, damn, I'm like this now. So now I really started taking basketball serious. And I had a guy that I met in Germany and the name of Dale Brown. He already offered me the scholarships. Already know I'm going to LSU. So you know, my agent kept telling me how the money's gonna be a lot. So when he said, when I first got dryed how much you want? I was like, I don't know. Six melli a year. He's like, nah, man, we're gonna ask for fifty. And I was like, what he said, We're going to ask for fifty. I ended up getting forty for seven. I think I was the first to do this. He's like, but I'm gonna put the clause in there you can do something after three after four, and I was like, okay, sounds good. So when it came back around to Orlando, now everybody was talking about one hundred million. I want to be the first hundred million. You got a guy, it was mine, So I started high, I said, and they said no. And then here during the Olympics ninety six, me and uncle Jerome we had Magic City doing what we do a Magic City, and my agent call it's like two thirty am, said I got a call and need you to come to this hotel except for he said come. So I get there and it's the Great Jerry West and I just always saying we play leers. Never really met him, but of course I know it is. I shake his hand, he said he want the good news to the bad news. I said, I don't want the bad news. He said, I couldn't get you to one fifty. I said, what's the good news. We can get you one twenty. But he's like, you got to sign right now. So I was like, And then I told Leonard, I said Carl Orlando. He said they they weren't even close. So hey, my mom, my mom needs a new house. Even though she didn't, that's all I'm thinking about. So I went that. So even though I always think about what me and Penny could have done, it's not a decision I regret because when it comes to family and it comes to making decisions, I make the decision as a leader, as a general, and if it happened to be the wrong decision, that's something that I can live with. You said something when you were just discussing Kobe, Uh, you were discussing Kobe, what y'all did in the fourth quarter? You said, quarters one through three, I dominate, and then we let Kobe take over in the fourth. And I recently was just on Instagram, maybe a week ago and not even a week ago, and Gilbert Arenez on his podcast was talking about Joker and saying, you know, when it's time to get a bucket, the ball always go to Jamal Murray towards the end of the game.
Speaker 3: So how can you say he's the best player?
Speaker 1: Uh talking about Joker because Jamal Murray get those last shots and you pretty much just said that's what me and Kobe did, like I did this and then we let him go. Then, So what do you make of Gilbert Arenas statement about Joker saying he's not as good because Jamal Murray gets the ball down the stretch, he takes all the big shots, being that he was a part of us, he has that G fourteen classification. But Joker is really good and Jamal is really good. That's just the way that their team is set up up. When it comes to the most Valuable Player, I always thought it meant the baddest mother fucking the league, like your guy who made history which should have been my history, the most dominant, I mean, the unanimous MVP. He's the baddest motherfucker in the league. I don't give a fuck what your record is, what where you all at one through eight? He's the badest mother fucking league. That's the most viable player. To me, I don't understand what the classifications are best player on the best team. We as players, we know who the baddest motherfucker is. We know who the strongest is, we know who the better we know you know, all these voters sometimes they just sometimes they just get with their favorites and they stick with their favorites. I don't know what the fucking criteria is. So you know what, I think the point that you know giber was trying to make is, Okay, if he's the baddest guy, why is he getting the ball? Sometimes you got to do that. Like, you know, Shannon Sharp said something the other day, Oh, Shaq wasn't the best player on the team.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I'm not better than fucking Penny all the way, not better than Kobe Browann, not better than d Way. But I'm the baddest motherfucker on them. That's what I always try to be. I always try to be the biggest, baddest, my fuck all that bad bro. I wasn't better than the lines of Morning Christian Laightner coming out of college, but I was the baddest motherfucker. That's why I got picked number one. So you know, a lot of times, like if you got G fourteen classification, I'll let you say what you want. If you don't, I ain't gonna let you like I'm I'm you know, sometimes people take our niceness for granted. And I'm big on G fourteen classification. So I don't have a problem with what Gilbert said. He's been there, he's done that, he was with us. I understand that. But you know, all opinions are subjective. You either agree or you disagree. Ronald, we have now in this world. As somebody say something you don't like it, you want to take it and put it in anything. Just that's cool too, but just make you sure you have that G fourteen classification. And G fourteen classification gets you in the building. We have ranks me and you have the highest fucking ranks me, you, Steph Cole Magic were on the top on the fucking floor. A lot of guys are in the building, but they don't have the same you know, right to say certain things as we do. But again I'll have a problem with I do even have a problem with he said where I hate all centers, I don't hate all senters. I never said anything bad about Joker. I just think they they thought I was trying to be funny when I told him, I said, no, I want you to hear from me first, joker, and I'm telling you like a man, You my guy, I love you. But as she ay, she got an MVP that I ain't know this. But again I did it, and I slowed it down so people can understand that. And I even add, hey, this is no disrespect to you, and they still take it and twist it. And all shack hates all big men. Don't hate all big men. I hate all big men that don't play like fucking big man. That's what I hate. A couple more questions before we get out of here. The modern day big joker. Uh, you know those guys Joel Wimby, I'm jealous of them. Why wish I could step out and shoot the three brother? You know why I call myself black Stuff Curry Because if I go to the gym and miss one hundred and ninety fucking threes and make one on the black Stuff Curry, that shit fucking feel good to step out and shoot that three bro. But again, you gotta understand about me jealous. When I'm jealous, I'm not envious. I'm jealous to fucking motivate me. So every now and then I go out there and try to Clay Thompson my shit, and just you know, I built the corporate I just go out there and try to shoot. I'm jealous of them because I wish I was allowed to do that. You know, back then I would every now and then take and go coast to coach, the coach and looking at me crazy. So they're they're allowed to do it. Indeed, is a mixture of me in the post and a chemo ije run outside and joker he's man. I was trying to figure who he reminded me of. I was thinking a little brad Daughtery, a little Sabonis in the eighty four land, Like his game is just nice, and I like people that play at that pace. I asked you about Luca one time. I was like, he's really that nice, and he was like, yeah, the motherfucker's strong and he played at his pace. So I really like those guys. Any other big wom Bigianna's is different. He's he's he's he's thin, but like he he does some stuff. He's he's he's really different. As the president of the Big man alliance. I really like those three guys. Any other big guys, I'm not really feeling so when he say I hate all big men, I don't hate all big men. Just don't like the big men that don't play like big men. Do you think there would be any benefit to Joel at times saying oh, you know what I'm and I'm channeling my inner shock right now for fuck shack, just play, just play the odds. If I got a guy six seven on me, I'm not shooting no jumper, even if I know how to shoot the jumper one, I'm gonna try to get him in foul trouble, get my team in a penalty, and the percentages go up when you move closer to the basket. It's just so you know why you want to drive between your legs and shoot jumpers, like when listen, when it goes in, looks pretty, but when it doesn't go off and playoff situations, you're going to have to live with that. Oh you're the only MVP who never made out the first round, and I know guys don't want to live with that. So I just want him to just you know, play, play, play to his ability, Like if you got another agile, big guy. You take him out and you go around them. But anybody that's smaller than you, you got to go on the post and then go to work. And then once they w you make it easier for Maxie actually a good player. But if he don't have to work as hard, I think he can. I think he can be a lot better like Maxie was doing it. And he's younger than that. But I wanted to make the game easy for Penny, Kobe and d Way.
Speaker 3: Let me.
Speaker 1: Let me, let me go down here and jump with these motherfuckers to death, and then when they start filing and doing stuffing, I'm gonna kick to you.
Speaker 3: Then y'all go to work. So that's what I think about Joe.
Speaker 1: Last couple questions, Uh, you shit has been what thirteen years now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Thirteen. You took you and you took.
Speaker 1: On another role in what you've been doing at TNT with the sid NBA crew. What did you first think you was getting yourself into as opposed to what it's turned into. I wanted to be the black Brian Gumble and use big words and do all that, and TNT said, motherfucker, we'll fire your ass tomorrow. Be you, and I think that's what makes our show the best show out there. G fourteen Classification, Barkley All the Famous Shack, All of the Fam, McKinney, two time champion, Ernie, best analysts in the world. Yes, but you guys can be yourself and we make fun of people. We crack jokes, We do a lot of stuff. Because you also have to realize I have to watching two games. Good games are bad games.
Speaker 3: The fans that.
Speaker 1: Are real people don't have to work in the morning. If we're going to keep you up ast your bedtime, at least we want to do is entertain you. And I think the reason why they hired you. You're very intelligent and you're definitely one of us. You know how to crack jokes. You and Charles are also y'all have me roller so welcome to the team, and I'm glad you're here. But I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. But I t k he was a producer there. He's like, we don't want you follow that shit. Just talk about your experiences, talk about what you know. And he said, he said, people know you know what you're talking about because you did it. Because you did it. And uh so they just you know told me to just you know, be myself. I wish I could talk more. Charles is good at fucking talking, and then when you supposed to fucking rotate, he'll say something. And that's why I snapped on his I said, Yo, motherfucker one two three and not one two and back to the motherfucking one. He like cutting motherfuckers off, repeating hisself like, like, bro, you said that ship. I've been here twelve years. You say the same shit every year, Chris Paul the grizzly motherfucker, we heard that say something different.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 1: We had we had Chuck on the show a couple of years agoing I asked them, y'all get into these he arguments. Do you ever really get pissed off? No, because it's a perfect story. I'm like you, I'm up, I will fight you and do whatever. So one time this motherfucker and like, I never had no problem with Charles. I it's the same way you looked up to me. I looked up to Charles. Charles let me know it was okay to elbow motherfucking the mouth. My father used to said, well, you need to be like Barkley and knock him up. So in college and even in the league. So we're playing in Houston one day, Charles is older. The motherfucker hit me in the head with the ball. I can't let that shake slide. I can't go back to any barbershop, any motherfucking crib.
Speaker 3: Nothing. Now.
Speaker 1: I gotta knock this motherfucker out. But the mistake was I made was I leaned too far to the left and he went that way. I wanted to throw the left because I wanted him to come inside. I was gonna try to knock that motherfucker's head off to let him know, like, hey, I ain't want these motherfuckers. You can throw the ball at so Bro. By the time I got to the motherfucking tunnel, Uncle Jerome had to meet the phone and I'm like hello, and it was my mom and Charles mom on the phone. They's like, y'all, shit be doing. I was like, who's this. She's like, my mom, check, this is Charles mom. So you know when it's mom. Even though I'm mad at him, I ain't gonna be like fucking yes, ma'am, y'all stop that ship. I don't already talk to Charles, y'all, y'all that shit out. And you know she she was not ghetto, but she was.
Speaker 3: She was hard.
Speaker 1: She was like, y'all, cut that shit out, y'all don't need to be fighting. So mama dropped that final order. I'm not gonna go against my mama ever. So I'm walking down the hall. He walking down the hall. I'm looking at him like mofucker, even though my mama said that you make a move a woman knock there. So he started laughing and I started laughing, and then I finally see my mom sayd what was that about? She said, me and me and Charles MoMA been best friend for thirty years. Crazy. Yeah, So one time I seen them playing cards. It's the same shit, me and Charles. Do you know know I'm playing no motherfucking state like they. But it's respectful. So even though we argue, I know, as a man you can't disrespect another man. I think like men that have the same principles, you can talk to each other same way. Like my little guy over there, that's my cousin. We grow up together. We fight every fucking day, but we don't disrespect each other. And the fact that we don't disrespect each other. You can say that you got to say. I'll say what I gotta say. So you know, I'm never mad at him to the point where I wanted to beat him up, because one my mom would be upset. His mom passed away. She was so nice my mom, she would be upset. So even if he said something crazy, I know you not disrespect me. I know it's just Charles. I'll just let it go before we get out of here. Obviously, Yes, you know, I think you know, being one of the most successful businessmen to come through the NBA. You know, we see Junior Bridgeman magic, you know, and you have put yourself in that category, you guys, So you understand business you guys have had and I'm honored to grace the stage with you all whenever I get the opportunity. But what you guys have built at inside the NBA, it has been special. Business is business. And there's a TV deal coming up with the possibility of turn or not, you know, having broadcasting rights. That is a possibility if that's to happen. Everybody wants to know what happens with this crew. You know, you guys, you four guys like it's the Premier show. When it comes to NBA basketball, what happens with this group from your perspective of how do you see that. I don't like to think left, which is negative. I don't like to think right. I do like to think what it is. So until we hear what it is, I don't know. I'm glad. I have different options to fall back home. But you know, when I go left, it's just it starts to get sad, like damn oh, Ernie, no Chuck, no Kenny. Then when I think right, it's a lot of other possibilities. So great possibilities, but right now I'm gonna just stay in the middle. And you brought up a name. Junior Bridgeman was another guy who I'm jealous of. I remember one time I'm walking through the airport and I saw the ten richest athletes. It was a time article. I was like, mo, fuck, I'm number two. I ain't fucking with Mike, but shit, I'm number mother fucking too magic maybe number two, so fucking I'm number three.
Speaker 3: So I look at the list.
Speaker 1: Like Mike fuck man fuck, and then Junior Bridgeman chicks, I'm like, what the fuck is Junior Bridge And so I'm like eight hundred million. So now instead of being envistment like it, just like jealousy motivates me. Brother been like that since I'm a kid, like you see a kid like, always tell my son when you go to these AU tournaments, find out who's who, make sure you go at them. So like for me, I was always behind Kenny Anderson. So I went to the motherfucker McDonald's Auto American game. I met Dick Vatael was like, hello, missus, Dick Vytail. He's like, and you are so this motherfucker. I don't know who I am. Oh shit, and everybody's sucking off Kenny and Jimmy Jackson, all these motherfuckers. I said, okay, motherfucker. So I told misterout, I said, you don't know me yet, but tomorrow at twelve thirty, the whole world on my guy. So that that shit motivated me. So I'm looking at Junior Berid, I'm like, fuck, it's my fucker on all this shit, and I just I just it just makes me makes me work harder because we like stories. I like to open that Time magazine and see Shack two three big like, so I'm not there yet, but I think I'm working, you know, to a way to get there. So I just want to tell athletes it's okay to be jealous at the time, but just make sure you use that as motivation and not hate. Big fellow, I appreciate you man, see about seeing about thirty minutes. Yes, Sir, Draymond Green Show and y'all wouldn't have beat us in the finals.
Speaker 3: Easy, easy money.