Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of not necessarily Busting with the Boys, but the Bustin's our first busting spring football tour. We have on Eric Chinander coach Chins. He's the decordinator for the Huskers and Shirts. Obviously your very own Scott Frost. Let's give a hand for the coaches coming on the show.
Speaker 2: You guys do little juice.
Speaker 3: Scott Barrey lifts his hand. Good job that was That was solid too. A couple of Chevyes, a couple of Chevy.
Speaker 1: Guys la bail, hard workers and dependable, just like the Chevy Sivarado are presenting sponsor of this show. Do you you want to flare up the tailgate a little bit? The multi flex tailgate with six configurations?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you just did it. But the multi flex tailgate six configurations?
Speaker 2: Did I say that? Right? A phenomenal It's an outstanding thing.
Speaker 3: You guys probably haven't your Chevy Sierado as you guys are some gentlemens and blue collar gentlemen, but gentlemen that like the nice things, and this multi flex six configuration tailgate murder gives you everything you want. Right, It's it's got the same thing you use your follow press the thing tailgate goes down. You might be thinking yourself, Taylor, why are you telling me this bullet right now? Every truck does that, you know what they don't do? Have a heavy day lifting? You put the stuff back in there, hit the fub again, comes up? All right, what's it like? Come spill your mind right there? Yeah, you didn't know that.
Speaker 2: You want to go buy another Chevy, now, don't you? Yeah? Anyway, can we get him a micy.
Speaker 4: I got, I got the I got the trail boss, so I don't have that. I do have the trail boss, it doesn't have the tailgate like that.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll have to talk to show you something loot it.
Speaker 1: We'll have to get you to sit Dylan. I'll call Tim Peeper, will make you know he should be taking very good.
Speaker 2: Care of you. All right.
Speaker 1: I busted my ass for that dude for years with the boys trailer hitch cover. We got you, We got you. But uh, I appreciate you guys for coming on. The show's baked time. Actually it really ispect time. I appreciate this. It's nice coming to a place like this, like Nebraska. You don't know a lot about it. You've only seen it a couple of times when you go to play, I got our ass beat here.
Speaker 2: Then you come in.
Speaker 3: Will, it takes me some bullshit place called Indian Village, and you really hope, like I hope you guys can tell me some places to go eat after this, because I've been wanting to tell us for a while, but I want to wait for you guys. I sit there, I look at Will in the eyes, and I say, Hey, take me somewhere that screams Nebrassic corner huskers, somewhere that I can feel like I'm a native. I'm in this place. I'm with these blue collar people live in the dream.
Speaker 5: He says.
Speaker 3: Say less drives me. We turned the corner because we're in the Indian Village. It does a registerage in What the fuck.
Speaker 2: Llage in?
Speaker 3: When I say Indian village, Yeah, that's a small little place that we gave Creek my back. We go to village in and he says village into me and I think, oh, that sounds like a small little mom and pop shop.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a little deal. We turned the corner.
Speaker 3: I see the brown octagon or whatever their fucking symbol is that sits on the side of the corner and I'm like, there's two dozen of these things in Arizona.
Speaker 2: What am I doing here? I walk in It's full of oxygen tanks and walkers. Dude, it's only old people everywhere. And Will's like, hey.
Speaker 5: Huh, looks at me like, hey, this is about to be a hitter bro.
Speaker 2: I'm so mad.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is the place we sit down. The lady, the waiters, she's sweetest pie. The guys, the guys sitting behind us were assholes.
Speaker 2: Didn't like them one bit.
Speaker 3: The food was okay at best, and halfway through, Will goes, I fucked up.
Speaker 2: I should take you somewhere else. I'm like, no, no doubt. He's told it was a good time.
Speaker 3: We told the equipment guys where we went, and they're killing Will. And obviously you guys knew you guys walked right up here was giving Will hell for it.
Speaker 4: We'll get you set up with some good places, with some local spots, some places to get you a little lunch, a little dinner.
Speaker 2: Where should we be going around here? Do you not know that? Well?
Speaker 4: Putting it in there, I'm putting it in there. You know, no free shoutouts. We'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: Afterwards. Okay, I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Hey, did you see the postcards that they're making for recruits? Now, they got busts on the boys on there a little bit. Who knows how many they actually send out.
Speaker 3: If they send out one, we've made it right, one of the most historic programs in all of college football. Stating a postcard with our bus on it, with you in short shorts and Daisy Duke shorts cowboy boots.
Speaker 2: It's outstanding. What a recruiting pitch.
Speaker 4: I told them all we were going on here today, so they all wanted us to set the link. So we're gonna send the link to all the recruits. Uh, you know they want to see coach frost On busting with the boys.
Speaker 2: So were you they come back on a second time?
Speaker 5: I can't believe I got invited back first of all, but I had a great time. You were here for one of the games. Got to come on the by What game was that? By the way, which game wasn't Michigan Michigan? Yeah, absolutely dominant performance. What did you think about the atmosphere of Taylor?
Speaker 2: Oh? I when I played when I played here though, at the game, you were right, Oh you didn't you didn't come Okay, yeah no.
Speaker 3: But I will say about the atmosphere is it's insane. It's crazy to me because when you come to Nebraska, it's in Nebraska's Nebraska, and you go into the stadium and it's so loud, it's obnoxious, and everyone's screaming at you. But as soon as the game's over all the fans are like, hey, great job. It's like a nice little firm pat in the asses. I send you on your way. That's a great deal.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 4: When I when we first got here, everybody was like, wait till you come out on game day and I'm like, I'm like, listen, I've been you know, SEC stadiums packed, twelve NFL stadiums, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We came out for the spring game and I was like, oh my god. Yeah, I mean, these fans are the best in the country, hands down. It's it's a crazy atmosphere. And that night, will you were there, that Michigan game was out of control.
Speaker 1: Dude, it was man and it was such bullshit that they didn't blow the damn whistle when Adrian was stood up.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That that's you know, I won't put you guys on the spot, but wouldn't you agree.
Speaker 2: We just we just need to not fumble, first of all.
Speaker 5: But it was I got so much respect for them, and I was happy to see them in the playoff. And you know, that's that was kind of the story of our year. We were so against a playoff team. We had every chance to win the game at the end of the game. But to your point, between the third and fourth quarter, uh, they started playing music and the lights shut off, and then they had started going around the stadium and we were ahead at the time, and it maybe we even had one of the Michigan coaches tell us on the road it was the best environment they played in all years.
Speaker 2: So a lot of respect for them, and that was a heck of a game.
Speaker 3: To be fair to you guys, you're you're the best three and nine team of all time. If you guys would have played Georgia instead of Michigan playing Georgia, you guys would have lost.
Speaker 1: So funny coaches, the actual coaches then, but legit like that's.
Speaker 5: Kind of like one game you lost by more than seven.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like being the prettiest turd in the toilet, no question. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: But if he says, yeah, but listen, you're not talking to me anymore, I know, Like it's tough. Yeah, And then he started telling like, oh, these are their actual jobs, Like you're trying, but if you can't, okay, back pedaling Nebraska three and nine, I know it's tough.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get passes in a second. How do you guys change where Nebraska is? Back to the ninety seven? It's betting mentioned with the top four.
Speaker 5: It's been a process, you know, and and I don't like to talk about what happened here before, but Nebraska was always one of the elite programs in the country. That's not where we found it when we came back, and it's been a process to try to build it back, you know. And that's culture, that's talent, that's a hundred things. And we had a good enough team last year to win every game we played. We didn't and that's on all of us to do a little bit better. But the progress is undeniable, and I think everybody that watched this last year can see how close we are to being a good team. And now it's up to us to put the little missing pieces and ingredients and to make sure it gets there.
Speaker 3: What have you seen on a spring practice this year to last year that's maybe shown that promise that you're looking forward to.
Speaker 5: There's so much enthusiasm excitement around this right now, and a lot of it is because, you know, there's a chip on our shoulders because of how it all went last year. The guys that are back, no, we were good enough to win those games, and so there's a real motivation there. We've also added some new coaches and new players. You know, you guys sat with Casey and there's been a just kind of an energizing movement from those guys. It's kind of invigorated all of us just to have new faces around here.
Speaker 2: And the guys are hungry.
Speaker 5: So the effort is awesome on the field, and we still got a long way to go, but we're seeing a lot of good.
Speaker 1: Things being Scott Frost in Nebraska. And it's such an easy asking question to say, you know, what's it gonna take to get back to the nineties and this and that? Do you fucking hate that question?
Speaker 2: By now?
Speaker 1: No, this is a great show to be honest on too. Like we have a little fun I.
Speaker 5: Mean, that's my job is to do that, and so that's what I think about all day long anyway, So if somebody asked me, they're just catching me mid thought, you know. But you know, this place wasn't what it was once coach Soltz left. Frankly, Coach Polini did an awesome job and he doesn't get the credit he deserves.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's been on a downside for a while, you.
Speaker 5: Know, Will the every great program in the country has gone through a downturn and it's just hard to recapture. If you never lose it, it's a lot easier. It's like getting out of shape when you're old. Like if you never stop working out, you're fine. But coach Frost can't hurt squatting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hurt myself, Squad.
Speaker 5: That's a tough deal. So it's the down hill for you. Like I'm fighting back, You're fighting back. I'm fighting back.
Speaker 2: God, you know.
Speaker 5: But this has been a process and I think about it all the time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: For us to be a lead again, NIL has really got to take shape in Nebraska.
Speaker 2: We got to be able to recruit a little better. You got to catch.
Speaker 5: Momentum where you have a good year, and then you recruit better and have another good year.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: This is as good as college town as there is in the country. We have the best fan based in the country. Like he said, we have all the resources. It's just a matter of getting the wind in our sales again.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it's not going to be a giant leap. It's gonna it's gonna be a steady climb.
Speaker 1: Coach Chin's like when he talks about finding the advantages and like recruiting, whether it be an il like because being a player here, you know, the the shtick is always when you're in those recruiting meetings, right, like, if we can get the player here and they see the facilities, you guys are obviously building what is it a two hundred million dollars facility out there?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 1: Like, what are the areas that you want to really dive into? It seems like it's gonna it's its facilities in an IL.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think those are two of the you know, major sticking points. But it's also the people at Nebraska and like Coach Frost said, the resources from nutrition to strength and conditioning, to academic support to life skills as you know, as a player here. Nil is going to be huge for us. The new facility is going to be huge, and then you know, it's as you've seen as the team's grown, like Coach Frost talked about, it's, you know, really taking care of that five hundred mile radius, getting those players here, starting with that base, and then adding some really good players from across the country. We've always been a national recruiting brand from back when coaches talking about the nineties to all the way until now. So it's really starting with those local guys. I would consider it all that five hundred mile area, that local guys, and then getting some pieces from across the country. And we want to target the best ones in the country that we can right now, especially with those those things you mentioned.
Speaker 2: How long how long until that new facility is all done?
Speaker 5: I think next summer, So we'll go through this entire the year and springball next year and move in before the twenty three.
Speaker 2: US are sharing those renditions with the new recruits and everything like that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, they see them, and very soon we'll be able to walk them through it with hard hats on and explain where they're going to be living for the next four years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's outstanding. The facilities are pretty unbelievable. I love the weight room, the locker room. It seems like a really close knit group like family. The equipment guys get along with the guys who are the trainers, and it just seems like everyone's kind of like put together around here. Everyone cares and is all pushing the cart towards the same direct.
Speaker 2: That's why we'll mentioned it.
Speaker 5: But when we get kids on campus and they come see it, we got a great chance to get them. Yeah, And part of that is honestly just people's impression versus the reality of what Lincoln Nebraska's like. We get kids from Florida that they think they're going to come up and there's a stadium in the middle of a cornfield somewhere. I see Lincoln, and those kids sit on my couch and say, man, coach, this is awesome.
Speaker 2: I didn't always anything like this.
Speaker 5: But we're also far away from a lot of those recruiting pockets. So when we get the link and we got a great shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So how like, what's the process like trying to get these kids? Like you've ver eye on somebody who's in Florida, Pokey Florida. How like, how do you pitch them to come to Pokey Flora's little little spot. Now the monk saying the muck, but yeah, that place is wild, But how do you get someone like from that area to come here? You know, like, how would you sell them on that? Because me, my first thought, just lie to them and whatever they want to hear, right. I mean, if I was a coach, I'm lying through my teeth.
Speaker 2: It's funny. When I sit down with kids.
Speaker 5: One of the first thing I tell them is gets your BS detector out, because you have to be able to tell the between the people that are telling you the truth and just telling you what you want to hear to get you to their school.
Speaker 3: Right, Because if somebody says, hey, you you'll play for us, and then another coach says, hey, you got to earn your spot to play, Like based on that kid's personality, he's gonna pick one way or the other.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, you want the kid that's going to come that says you have to earn it. Because if a kid wants to come to your school just because you lie to them and tell them they're going to start early, probably not the right kid to have in your program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. But there's also those kids that just started.
Speaker 1: I mean you so you heard Casey talking about he went in that transfer pool a little after his freshman year because he thought he was gonna be the man. Yeah, he told that he was gonna start or something like that at Texas. Yeah, probably something like that. But you also have those kids that, like, I don't want to put a name out there. That's like you got with all the talent in the world, doesn't matter, He's just gonna be did no matter what. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like the guys are crazy talent and that don't work very hard, but there's still gonna be like first round picks, right you guys.
Speaker 2: You don't want to soil the guys out there. Yeah, a couple.
Speaker 4: I think that's when why you have to get him here though, you know, we have to do a good job and get him here. And like you said, the same thing people, the same thing with the state of Nebraska right where you played Michigan. There's Michigan, Michigan State, Detroit Lions. Right, there's nil money going three separate entities, there's fans going three separate ways, and in this state it bleeds Husker, that's it. And so you got a lot of a lot of resources, a lot of everything weren't into this program and it's unbelievable to be part of it.
Speaker 3: That's definitely a way for you guys to become like one of the household names in college football. Again, is that nil? You guys have said it a bunch already, But like.
Speaker 2: In case he was you know, Casey and Garrett were both alluding to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like you have the best NIL programs, Like, I don't matter what the landscape looks like, if you made that kind of money, like, that's gonna that's gonna sell for sure, because I remember being, like I was telling you guys before we started the public I didn't gw up with a lot of money, Like the thought of like making six figures in college.
Speaker 2: It's it's mine where that money had gone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there have been a lot of party going involved. My nose is a bit of a vacuum in college it was. It probably would have gone a lot of the wrong places. To be totally honest with you, I would not have been a guy you would have liked to have around too much in college, I would have worked hard though.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I would I would have loved you in practice, I promise, Oh, no question. At Oregon.
Speaker 3: At Oregon, we would have slayed it together, it together, partied hard, come in. Yeah, I think a little bit of like alcohol, Well, we're going the entire practice, right, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't got the salt like that anymore. I can't be drinking all the time. How do you guys, how do you guys manage that?
Speaker 1: Obviously we're in like what is it like year two, the whole nil stuff when you've got kids coming in there, getting all these nil deals and everything else, Like, how do you kind of I guess mentor monitor, you know.
Speaker 2: Keep guys focused, keep amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep the main thing, the main thing, and kind of I guess navigate with them, like through this nil landscape.
Speaker 5: The great thing the state lawn in Nebraska is we can't as employees of University Nebraska, we can't have anything to do with NIOL and And honestly that's the best thing for us, because I don't want two guys complaining.
Speaker 2: To me that he's getting this and I'm not getting this.
Speaker 5: So it's run by another company in Lincoln, and that's the way it needs to stay opens. No, Well, they do a lot for us and they've been awesome. That's Nebraska guys that started that deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Blake and Audie shot out the boys.
Speaker 5: They're awesome. We have another company that helps helps our players. Really, football players, basketball players, women's basketball, volleyball are all take advantage of it. We have over eighty kids and just in football that have taken advantage of it, men's basketball, volleyball.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on like that.
Speaker 5: But having it in somewhere else, you know, I don't want to have to deal with that on a day to day basis.
Speaker 2: We just want to coach football.
Speaker 1: Right right, But knowing that that stuff goes on. I'm not talking about you distributing anything or being involved in it, but knowing like kids are going through that shit now and where it's not like you're not coming to school just to be a student athlete anymore. You have this component of money and knowing that guys are coming in whether it's yeah, whether it's more ego or not. Like managing these players to stay focused on the task at hand and why they came to school here or why they came to school to play football.
Speaker 5: First, there are a thousand more distractions than when I played, several.
Speaker 2: Hundred more even than when you played.
Speaker 5: With everything going on in social media and all these opportunities for kids, and that's why we have to be selected and make sure we're getting the right kids that are here for the right reasons. And if they're getting all that on top of it, great, But the first thing needs to say, the first thing, and that's education and making yourself great on and off the field. And so we got to look for those type of guys and guys that aren't just here for the wrong reasons.
Speaker 2: See, I don't know, if I don't know.
Speaker 3: For me, it's like if you could sell the idea of the NFL dream to all these kids that they're all trying to do, that's like the best thing.
Speaker 2: The whole academic part. You know.
Speaker 3: Hey, right, you're a student athlete. That's what I'm saying. You're a you're a student first athlete. Second, that's what I'm saying. I think that's the move when you're trying to get guys. But hey, listen, obviously have different what's that Taylor?
Speaker 2: Did you graduate?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately? I did good for you unfortunately. Yeah, I haven't used my degree once and what general studies. It was a jack of all trades, master of none, but I followed them. Yeah, I think I wish I would have took college more seriously when I was at Michigan, Like I was all football all the time. But at the same time, like I feel like there should be with all this new advancement and stuff it's going on, like people being more progressive, like an il you can pay guys now, there needs to be more of a focus on like financial literacy and teaching these guys like how to run a business and how to understand what you what your.
Speaker 2: Possibility of making the NFL is.
Speaker 3: Everyone always plays like that, oh it's less than one percent of guys that are in college, But like, if you got a chance and that's your dream, like why not help these kids be most prepared for that and then have like some sort of setup where you can always come back in your schools and be paid for no matter what, but you can focus full time on football. And it's like, oh, it's a total pipe dream, it's totally totally out there, but it's a thought. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's tough because not a lot of guys like, there's not. It's so rare for a lot of guys to say, like, I have used my degree in eight years, you know what I mean, Like you're you're like.
Speaker 2: No, I'm super super probable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a good fucking player, right, Yeah, not everybody gets to like have longer careers. I feel like the majority is still kind of like would need to use their degree, right.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the great band of course.
Speaker 5: I mean what the only ones that graduate from college aren't using their degree are either stupid or their inmates or drug addicts.
Speaker 2: I think unless the Pro Bowl player, and then I definitely won that category, dude, and the still got to use your degree, right. I think coach does a great job with it.
Speaker 4: Do I've been in some of the you know, the closing meetings at the end of recruiting visits with him, and I know one thing that's important to him is making sure that these guys have a plan for life after football, whether that happens like you ten years down the road, fifteen years down the road, or after your last snap and Lincoln and so you know keys Zimmer life skills. They do a great job starting the financial literacy with these young guys and then also bridging that gap between the end of their education and when they start their civilian life. So I think that Nebraska does a really good job with that piece of it.
Speaker 1: And even like life skills you mentioned Keithan stuff, but like you you've coached in the league, Like you have life skills that players want to like look to for either mentorship or anything else, because you have an idea what it's like to coach guys in the league, Like how do you use how do you use that mentality and your experience to develop players or have or communicate with them or lead them.
Speaker 4: I think you try to use it from the time they're freshmen till the time their seniors. You know, when you're in we're in unit meetings, we show a lot of NFL film, right because guys don't want to watch other college guys. They want to watch the Pro Sunday League, right, Absolutely, they want to watch that stuff. And also they want to know how do I get there? Well, I'm going to tell you how to get there, and you might not want to hear the answer. You know, it might be you got to study film differently or more, you got to take care of your body. You got to eat better, you have to practice a different way. You might have to play special teams even though you're a starter. You know, things like that. And so I think having the experience in that league, those kids understand that we're not filling full a bunch of bullshit. We're telling them the truth and getting guys like you to come back and talk to the guys a little bit and having other resources come in to tell them.
Speaker 2: It's not what you see on television.
Speaker 4: It's not hard knocks, right, it is hard knocks, but it's it's a different deal. It's a it's a three hundred and sixty five day process, and it's not just about what happens two hours down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: With uh, with last year and the way the progress that the defense made, I know you guys lost some pieces like uh, I want to say what I was reading is you speaking on the continuity of the defense and carrying it over to the next year, Like, what are some some jumps you've seen the defense make in springball?
Speaker 4: I think you know, outside the schemaddics in the film, it's the leadership. I know you guys talked to Garrett Nelson a little bit, and there's there's other leaders that are really developing. Some of those guys that you saw last year that were really good players that may not have been.
Speaker 2: The old guys.
Speaker 4: Those guys are developing to some really good leaders, which I'm really happy about. And then we've been able to tweak the schemes a little bit. You never want to start over, you know, we want to keep as much same as same as as you can. But we've been able to tweak a few things and makes some improvements maybe where we were defishing a little bit last year schematically wise, and now we just got to plug some plug some new players.
Speaker 3: As far as Garrett Nelson goes talking to him, he makes you want to run through a wall, like like the kid bleeds Nebraska, like he loves everything about it. Like what's his leadership done for you guys going into this next year? Because he's got he was confused at how many years he has left, but I'm assuming it's one or two.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I think he might be able to have three after COVID, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure right there. But he's he literally he bleeds it, like he was explaining to me, what it's like to get a black shirt, that process and everything like that, Like what other other guys like him on that defense that that exemplify that type of leadership.
Speaker 5: Or it's funny he didn't know how many years he had left because he's a general study, got no problem.
Speaker 4: Still, that's awesome, you know it is now we're seeing we're seeing some definite growth. You know, the two inside backers were really good players for US, Luke Rymer and Nick.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was a little stud tackling machine. Yep.
Speaker 4: And then you know Ty Robinson, another defense defensive lineman from Arizona.
Speaker 2: He's you know, he's.
Speaker 4: He played a lot of good football for US last year as a young guy, and he stepped up his leadership game. And then in the back end, you know, returning Quentin Newsom and Miles Farmer, those guys have got some leadership in that back end too. So all those guys, it's been nice to see them step up and with us plugging new guys in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from a from an offensive side of the ball, like Casey watching what was her name? Martinez Martinez last year and Casey this year?
Speaker 2: How are they?
Speaker 3: How are the two different? How are they similar, and what do you look.
Speaker 5: Forward to it, Casey, Yeah, we spent four years with Adrian and I love him. Uh, just a great human being. I think he needed a fresh start and I think we did too, I'm being honest. And transfer portal gives you an opportunity to do that both ways. And uh, you know, we hunted in the portal hard for the right guy and coach whipplin I both agreed on him, and he's been a great leader since he's been here, and just his competitive spirit him along with some of the other guys that are new, it's really kind of lifted the energy on our team and just that that drive and focus on our team.
Speaker 2: So it's fun to watch a team that he's leading right now.
Speaker 3: When you when you say that you guys both kind of wanted a fresh start. Was that like talked about it all towards the end or was it kind of like he mentioned leaving and you guys are like, Okay, that's a good.
Speaker 5: Idea, you should go. No, you know it In some ways for me, I spend so much time with these guys. When somebody leaves, it's kind of like breaking up with a girlfriend you've invested so much time and effort into somebody and trying to help them be good, and you hate to see him go. He invested so much and gave so much to this university too, so much time, effort and playing through injury, and I got a ton of respect for him. I think at the end of the day, the decision he made was probably the right one for him. And uh, I think in the end they will land in a good place too.
Speaker 2: Do you hate dealing with that portal stuff?
Speaker 5: If you got a real answer from every coach, they hate all the changes that are having.
Speaker 1: Right right, right right, because you know, obviously you get Casey and you're you know, go, we're getting somebody.
Speaker 2: Right, Somebody are like, well the portal sucks right right right? People leave, But like, yeah, what's it like mess with that portal business. It's the game now, So it doesn't matter what I think.
Speaker 5: That's the game. We got to be the best we can at playing that game.
Speaker 3: There's a level of free agency, right, Like, it's basically the free agency in the NFL, And where's the cap number?
Speaker 2: Well, how's that stuff work? How's it?
Speaker 4: And I mean it's it's free agency with no cap. So it's it's the wild West right now, you know. And the difference is like you know, in the UH, you know, in the NFL, if you guys need a you know, another tight end, right you guys may feel like you need somebody else, whether it's for depth or to be a starter.
Speaker 2: You bring somebody else in.
Speaker 4: Everybody else under contract, they ain't going anywhere in college football. You bring somebody else in, somebody else might feel jaded about it, and they can just leave. So it's a it's a very it's a very delicate balancing act. And I think coach coach has a lot of UH stuff on his plate that goes into every decision. It's not as easy as people think. We're just that guy's in the portal, go get him perfect.
Speaker 5: The smart programs out there have figured it out there. They know they need n I own money and they're taking their decordinator salary and cutting it in half and then giving that.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, I did seein's got a raise. We might need a you might have a snippy guy. Yeah, get some guys here.
Speaker 3: What do you think are you willing to do that for Nebraska? I mean, are we live right now? Probably coach for free just to get a national championship. Ain't no doubt, there's no doubt about it. Would you cut your dick off for a national title?
Speaker 4: I don't know if I could go that far. That's probably going a little far. I didn't even work harder than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, like last year we were an az and we were I was busting Tailor's balls and say, hey, would you take a million dollar pay cut if if the Titans would bring me back on the team, like you'd give me the money? And he's like, fuck, no, I can't bro I earned that, Yeah, for sure. But Jesus, you're trying to win.
Speaker 2: Well did you win? Did you wind win?
Speaker 3: I told my cl no, no, no, this past year, Oh no, we didn't. Exactly. That's a tough deal. You think we would have beat the Bengals if you funk out of here? You're probably right, you know what, You're probably right?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I got a question for you. Yeah, yeah, you guys ask questions.
Speaker 4: Man, you talked about Nellie Garrett talked about his black shirt, right, yeah, I asked all the guys that come back.
Speaker 2: Usually it's in front of the guys, but this will be on video forever. I'm excited, what.
Speaker 4: Cause, I'm just gonna tell you right now, the black shirts is hands down my favorite probably thing about college football of all time. I've been a part of a lot of great teams and a lot of locker rooms and all that kind of thing, but just consistent thing.
Speaker 2: What does being a black shirt mean to you?
Speaker 1: That's a good question, you know, a cliche answers like everything, right, Like when I was a player here and you earned your black shirt.
Speaker 2: You know, because you see the kids, You see the.
Speaker 1: Energy in the guys when they get a black shirt, or when you see somebody like Garrett sitting here and he's talking about how he was emotional, his mom was emotional when she called him, and it kind of takes you back to where all the stuff you wrote down and charted out, whether it be at six am show up time for speed six forty five, you're going in lifting at seven thirty, but all like the sacrifice that you poured that you think in your mind at times it's you're kind of being selfish because you want to go to the next level. But you start to understand when you're being a leader in front of the guys, you're teaching guys defense, because coaches can't be the offices with you, and.
Speaker 2: You're running all these little unit meetings.
Speaker 1: With each other, with your teammates, and you pour all of that sacrifice like into other guys, and you feel it around you too. And those those same guys, the black shirts, the starting defense that's with you. You know they're giving the same effort and the same energy every day, even on days that you might not want to. And it's like the whole quote like discipline, choosing what you want most of what you want now, like taking like that selflessness from yourself and pouring it again into your daily disciplines and routine and giving it to your teammates and knowing it comes back to you in a form of a black shirt, right, Like you walk out here and you're holding a black shirt and you know how coveted it is, and everyone thinks it's so great and glamorous and it is.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Like you're stoked because you got this prestigious type award. But I think like Garrett embodies the emotion of Garrett, I thought embodies it because it reminds you of how much you put into something. So to me, I feel like that's what. That's what like being a black shirt meant to me is like you wore you looked around, Yeah, you feel awesome walking around in it, but you're just like, yo, you fucking put everything on the line with your teammates in the off season, like you know, you guys are on your golf courses and shit, we're with our we're with our strength coaches. But again, like those dog days, man, those fridays, the GPP, the conditioning, just all of it, and it paying off in a form of like, yo, I fucking earned this.
Speaker 4: Well you said. I mean you said too. Everybody thinks being a black shirt so cool, which it is. You're you're a black shirt forever. But being a culture keeper is dirty, nasty work now, right, that's dirty work.
Speaker 1: Right, And like you learn as you got older, like coach Polini, but coach gyp Jompapucha's with somebody. He was our coordinator at the time, and you know he would talk to me at times when you're trying to figure out more that you can do in the leadership role, and like you said, the culture keeping, the policing the players and stuff like that, you start to learn that not everything is just barking and being vocal on the field, Like you start to learn how to talk to your teammates because again, it's such a I was talking about it earlier with Garrett. It's such a melting pot in a locker room like Nebraska and everywhere all over the country. But you got to figure out how to communicate with your teammates because everybody doesn't see things the same way like I'm trying to. You're trying to be a guy that carries out a message that you guys have, but at the same time, you might hear some disgruntable bullshit that might be true in that dude's story, right, And you're trying to find the balance between how do I get to this guy now look like some kiss ass or the coaches, but at the same time you're trying to carry out at like a standard.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That's kind of one of the hardest things to do, That last part though, right state like be a leader and also not seem like you're with the coaches, because a lot of times in programs you can be like with the boys or with the coaches, Like there's a rowing between. It's like how do you find that balance? And that's consistent leadership, but not just one guy, but multiple multiple guys doing that. It was just one guy, it's easier for the small group of those losers to be like, oh that guy's a kiss ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's doing X, Y and Z.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, But like if you can get leadership, we have like five, six, seven, eight guys preaching the same thing, doing the same thing, and makes it easier for this to be like more of like a molded unit between.
Speaker 2: Coaches and players.
Speaker 3: Right, So that a lot of time for me, especially like having coaches on an authoritative level, Like I never did well with authority, so I had an issue having to like work through that process. And I think the black shirt thing, the way you guys, the way it's talked about, Like right, I've been here for four hours and seeing the way it's talked about, that's a really cool way to see how guys are truly invested in the process. It's just a defensive thing, correct, yep, Yeah, just a defensive thing.
Speaker 2: What are we doing offense? No, just try to score points and get them back now.
Speaker 1: But it's like you feel responsibility too. It's like you know again, it just it goes into that sacrifice, like you you stand up in front of the team and guys talk about the black Shirt way and this and that. You build a standard on day one, right, Well, day you guys know how to is day twenty in training camp isn't the same as day one, and everyone's feeling a little more sorry for themselves. Everybody's a little more bang up sed. The loaves start to show up. The loaf start to show up a little bit more on film where you chart them. Maybe the grating gets a little bit easier because you start understanding it's the dog days. But it's like that standard you kind of uphold and build on day one, and you need those guys or the black Shirt way to carry out. Hey, this is how we do it, and this is how we're going to do it. You're in and ye're out all the way around.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I got a little fired up there. That was great. It's great. How many guys are black shirts right now? Zero? Oh? None of them? So how do you so? Once?
Speaker 3: If so Garrett earned his freshman year? Yep, Garrett turned one every year, so yes, so he has to continually earn it every single year. They get like, you just keep it and then you can get taken away and when.
Speaker 2: You walk out, when you walk out the door, you keep it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn. But then that's a wild deal. So when do you make decisions on guys having black shirts?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: What was about a week before the first game?
Speaker 3: Weak?
Speaker 2: Before the first game.
Speaker 5: We've been actually since it was his idea, but we started bringing some of the ex black shirts back to award the black shirts to the guys on the team.
Speaker 2: Now, that hard, That does go hard. So when you're where you got to come back and do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you come hand one out to one of the to one of the linebackers.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then there's some guys that earn't it over the course of the year. And it's not all just starters, it's not all best players. It's it's guys that do things the right way.
Speaker 3: Are there situations where your best players are black shirts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've had those situations.
Speaker 5: You talk to the old guys about guys getting their black shirt taken away from them because they weren't doing things right off the field.
Speaker 2: There weren't weren't being good leaders. And it matters to the guys party and boozing, that type of thing.
Speaker 1: What's it like for you guys to see what's right, that's what that great? Yeah, what's it like for you guys to see I guess the black shirt standard be carried out when it does come to fruition, right, Like maybe there's sometimes where you're like, you know, we're doing this tradition, but you might not feel it, maybe in your first year, but maybe you did. Like there's there's things that people don't see. But when it does come together, what is it like for you to see that stuff being upheld?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think it's it's always been, like Coach Frost, it has been a process. But you know, the first couple of years, you know, I think it was hard because they didn't know necessarily his way or our way or what they exactly needed to do. Now, like last year, that group, like that was like a real black Shirt group, Like and not just because of the way they play in the field, but the way they practice, the way they worked, the way they carried themselves. We talk about all the time black Shirt you got to elevate yourself and everybody around you, and so those guys I think they embodied that and that was really cool to watch. And you know, it was really cool. Last year we had a couple guys we didn't. We didn't go into this game one with eleven no, And so to see those other guys that were starters. You don't get to be a black shirt by default. And to see those guys that earned it the next couple of weeks in or six weeks in or whatever, that was really cool too, because not only did they get better, but they saw how everybody else was working around them and they understood that my stuff's got to get up.
Speaker 2: It means something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how was it for you keeping the morale high and keeping the defense playing at a high level with all Obviously we alluded to it earlier, but you know, you have a point differential of zero, but when you're losing those tight games, how are you keeping the morale up? Versus Because we were even texting one time talking about you know, from a player perspective, you might feel shitty. Right a coach comes in, we got win, We gotta figure out how to win this game, and you get that much harder critique in the smaller things because you just you feel like, as a defense, you didn't get it done, versus highlighting the good shit, Hey guys, we're this fucking close and showing them positive stuff like what are you doing to keep the morale high to where they played at a high level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you always got to show the elite stuff and then the stuff we need to improve on. But to the kids credit, I thought there was going to be a couple games where I was going to go stand in front of them on Sunday or Monday and I was gonna be like, oh man, we have to pull some teeth to get practice going right now.
Speaker 2: To those kids credit, they were ready to roll.
Speaker 4: They never pointed a finger at anybody on the defense, offense, special teams. They just pointed the thumb back at themselves and they said what can we do, coach?
Speaker 2: How can we get better?
Speaker 4: And it was really really cool, and I think that was because of the leadership we had in that room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's outstanding. Shall we shall we? Oh? The is it time? Duke Cannon? Cannon? Duke Cannon the final We say final question.
Speaker 1: We end up asking more and just pantering even longer, but at some point we do a uh, we do a Duke Cannon. These questions are brought to you by Duke Cannon, the best. This is no clown shit. We're talking big ass brick of soap. We're talking thick high I had it earlier. Viscosity, the high viscosity body wash talk will dry ice that Taylor likes had put on his feet. It's cooling, anti person. I have an only fans account that I like to put this on. Gives it a shimmer.
Speaker 5: And those guys that pay top dollar to see these toes, I mean, have.
Speaker 2: You have you used this one right here? Yeah? Oh bro? This does this smell like bush beer? Bro? Yeah? Like this is this is gonna be your guys.
Speaker 1: This is what it comes in this military looking like it's for It's for the masculine, the best mill. Yeah, there we go for clowns. Yeah, had a tough time, but you guys are gonna get these. But it's all presented by Duke Cannon. By the way, it really is clean ingredients to not the it rhymes with h not like the bullshit ingredients. You don't get that.
Speaker 3: There's lymph nodes in there, right, soak stuff in aluminum, that type of stuff, and it put the deep.
Speaker 2: Sea word and you don't want the sea word.
Speaker 3: So this stuff helped keep you clean, smelling fresh, looking fresh, and being fresherr entire life.
Speaker 2: Great dude, that's a great job. Thanks man. Have I been doing a better job at pulling my mic JP. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: He By the way, this is really cool, like talk to you guys because for me, like going through college and stuff like that and like being around coaches and then having the chance to talk to you guys like we're talking to you right now. Don't know why. Just super bad to me. Really enjoy it. So I appreciate it. That's it.
Speaker 2: How does it make you guys feel? Yeah? Does that? How do you guys like talking with us? And I was being with the boys, I was being open about my emotions. I was talking.
Speaker 5: First of all, you guys got the best job in the country. I mean, this is this is what you do. I mean, this is booming, this is fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, I think the world of you because it's not just because of how well you played here, but your attitude and and everything that you brought to Nebraska. And I think that's why people everywhere love you, but Nebraska fans there's a special place for you. And I told you that I've been watching you since Marcus Mariotta was my quarterback at Oregon and went played behind him, and I've been a fan of his. Uh watching every Titans game through that time.
Speaker 2: You see him get in the face of Richard Sherman, his coach.
Speaker 5: I get mad at some of the penalties sometimes, but you also want guys to play that way.
Speaker 3: So nasty, the double edged shorts the place of doing business times.
Speaker 6: But I appreciate that, No, dude, I do. If you want to say a nice thing, yeah, trust me. If you want to say, we're not gonna I'm fired up to be on here, man. I mean last time, I was a little bit jealous. I gotta tell you. I mean I thought we were boys.
Speaker 2: We're you know, that was a buttoned up situation. There, guilt trip. I like it. I give it to him, dude, give it to him, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's cool. It's cool you had the big weeks on. You know, you got the a d the head coach.
Speaker 2: It's fine. I was trying to get clicks. That's really Oh yeah, clickbait. Yeah, Scott Frost's clickbait. There's no doubt. Yeah, Scott.
Speaker 1: You know, last time, he's like, I'm surprised I got to come back on.
Speaker 2: Do you have some Garrett.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, yeah, we'll get to the final segment versus question Yeah, no, no, no, no, yeah, I was ill.
Speaker 2: I asked the question. I think it'll get some clicking, but.
Speaker 1: Uh no, you're asking like you were, like, I'm surprised you want me to come on second tis like the first time. Dude, You're playing a game the next day and me personally, I'm like, you don't wanna, You're not trying to can catch nobody nothing, and here at spring ball, like you can let your hair down a little bit and chins. You know, obviously I would. I would rub it on your feet and put some Duke's cannon on, rub it on your feet.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you can't pass up Roberts thick body. While you can't. You can't. And I had it for like twenty minutes. It's tough. I was in there. I'm fired up.
Speaker 4: A lot of my friends and family watch you guys listen podcast. They're so fired I'm getting texted like you gonna be on the bus. You canna be on the bus.
Speaker 2: I'm fired up. Just pu Yeah, everybody everybody thinks. Everybody thinks.
Speaker 5: I'm like, uh, like you're one of the boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're one of the fucking boys. You're in a very prestigious group. This is like the black shirt of life.
Speaker 3: Like that, dude, Like, come on this bus, Like you officially got some of the YouTube with you for wherever you go for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big fucking deal. We should get people of black shirts. We should get people black dude.
Speaker 5: Really, you can only get it if you've been a guest.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 3: Hey, your question though you said you had tell Yeah, so obviously the record last year isn't what you guys wanted. And Scott, this is particularly for you. You guys made some changes. That's the special teams category. If your special teams was better, how many games do you guys think you would have probably.
Speaker 2: Won at least two more, at least because because oh come on, dude, we're going to a bowl game. Two.
Speaker 5: There was one special teams play that if it changed, the game probably would have changed.
Speaker 2: And the hands on that.
Speaker 5: And I'm not talking about games where we gave up a kick return and we missed a bunch of pats and field goals.
Speaker 3: So well, if you have a kick return in one game and you're not gonna mention that that's almost not fair because you guys never lost a game more than seven points.
Speaker 5: We got we got a pun blocked in one game that totally changed the game and we were in control of the game until that happened. And another one where I think his defense gave up fifteen yards in the entire second half and we and we punted it to the wrong sideline and gave up a kicker a punt return and lost in overtime. And that's been an issue on a thrown on our side for a while. And Bill Bush is our special quarter nine and out and doing a great job, and the players know how important it is, and so all the effort we're putting in right now in springball, special teams is probably getting the most attention and effort, and we all know that needs to get better.
Speaker 2: It could be the difference. The Big Ten is so good, every team is.
Speaker 5: There's this much difference between all these teams, and special teams can make the difference in those types of games.
Speaker 2: I love your intensity.
Speaker 3: Of all the coaches in the Big Ten, who would you lose a fight to lose? Who do you think you would lose a fight to If all all the coaches in the Bay ten got together in a ring and it was kind of a free for all.
Speaker 2: Who do you think you'd have the royal type situation? Yeah, like yeah, I get that close to well.
Speaker 5: I would hope that every coach in the league would say they wouldn't lose.
Speaker 1: Don't want to hear, but we can have the object the object state melt Tucker, he get his ass be probably.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what he looks like. He's younger.
Speaker 5: He could not just because you're from Michigan. But I'm just telling you, Jim was a professional athlete, and he's a little bit crazy.
Speaker 2: I love him. He's a little bit he's a little bit crazy. He's the he just strikes. He's the type of guy.
Speaker 5: That wouldn't give up no matter what in a fight. But I mean he'd probably enjoy that and I would too, and in a friendly bigger.
Speaker 2: Than you by busting with the boys. Yeah he's big. Now he's my size. Oh really, Yeah, I'm younger than he is. But oh so you think you take them hands with toss. But he's a tough He's a tough dude. Now, I had a lot of respect for him. Who's your the easiest time with anything. Is Chin's a head coach? Who you're not? Okay? He don't want you don't want to smoke. You don't want to smoke here though? Who that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Who would be the easiest, Uh, Bob Devanny would be pretty easy.
Speaker 2: Who's that Illinois? No? He used to coach here?
Speaker 5: I just assumed whoever the coach for Illinois was.
Speaker 2: Illinois? Illinois?
Speaker 3: Dude, I had something else on. Oh, we're going to Michigan next week. Maybe we get some people got to call me back. It's getting a little it's get a little dicey. But what do you guys think about this? Every year Nebraska and Michigan play in the fall and they're fighting for the bus trophy, and you guys hoist whoever wins. It's the battle of the bus and it's a giant gold bus with long horns.
Speaker 5: Promise to you if if you make the trophy and you get Harbaugh and they're a dy to sign off on it, I won't land.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what Nebraska does.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you guys legit fought for a trophy.
Speaker 3: Imagine I'm getting hyped up over a busting trophy bus and giving the bird to the other team, Well, whoever wins, and that that made my day.
Speaker 5: We got trophies in this league with pigs and buckets and everything else, we might as well have a bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love love that idea. What a win, right? Yeah? I uh my last question I asked like four. That's my bad. This is your oak. I loved your questions. I thought you did a great job.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a couple more we can get a Scott though, because I feel like that dude loves to throw hands.
Speaker 2: You look at him, it looks rugged.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look the way he's laying sitting, He's comfous. He's built like a Chevy.
Speaker 2: That means.
Speaker 1: But everyone talks about it like it's no secret that everyone feels like.
Speaker 2: Scott Frost is on the hot seat.
Speaker 1: And this last year, you know, I had this written down that one of the one of the definitions of insanity, you know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You've been so close, bro, you guys have been so close with this program with this last year zero point different. You know, I've been out spouting off about the best three and nine win, best three win team of all time, but being so close, and as you guys know, once you get removed from the season, you you ultimately just become what your record was and being fifteen and twenty nine, like going into twenty twenty two, What were a couple of things that you guys get in the room about. You made coaching changes, you have a contract restructure, You're doing all these different things. What are a couple of things that you're in that room and you're like, yo, we got to tighten this shit up. Not because you actually feel the pressure or you're on the hot seat, but you're just like, I'm sick and tired of being just this fucking close.
Speaker 2: Yeah. First of all, every coach is on the hot seat every year. Essentially, it is what it is.
Speaker 5: I tell you, if we don't get it done here, it's not gonna be from lack of effort or knowing how to coach or doing things the right way. And we had a big hill to climb to catch. There's a lot of good teams this league, and to catch a lot of these teams in our league. But I agree with you that's some of the reason I made changes, not because we weren't doing things the right way, just you know, we needed to have a little bit different approach with some new energy, some new ideas, and some new enthusiasm. And I think we got that with some of the new players and coaches that we brought in. Our entire team is exciting because they know how close they are. And like I said, I think, I think there's a hunger there because because of the way we lost games and how close we were, and and also strangely through losing a lot of confidence in our team because we played, you know, again, a playoff team and had them on the ropes and had a chance to go ahead of Ohio State.
Speaker 2: In the fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: And and I can go through the games, but there's a lot of confidence, frustration, but also confidence within our team. And we're gonna keep doing things the right way and keep trying to add to the roster and the talent and keep getting the culture better. And and then all you can do is go out on Saturday and give it everything you got.
Speaker 2: I love them, man, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I think too the heart like last year, Hardball was on the proverbial hot seat and we weren't even rate top twenty five and went to the playoffs like happens every year.
Speaker 2: The winning everything.
Speaker 3: And the thing people need to be more understanding of is when a coach comes in like, it's not the players he recruited, and so now you're going into the fifth year, right, this is like these are your players?
Speaker 2: Are your guys?
Speaker 3: Are the guys you guys came in and have had the whole entire time to develop, and so people just don't know.
Speaker 5: You see coaches that get jobs where they're already on top of the mountain and they take over for somebody else that got it there. That's a lot easier, particularly coaches that inherit a team where they've been coaching, a coordinator gets promoted or whatever. Right, Usually the jobs you get as a head coach are the ones that aren't doing real well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a fix. And this has been a fix.
Speaker 5: And the great thing is I think the hard work is behind us and now it's just more fine tuning to make sure that some of these close results change.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We have outstanding fans that are behind you, and we walked down this place every single person, huge Nebraska fans that sold outs in sixty two.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see guys ball out this year except for one game. Yeah, I'm rood for you, guys man. Thanks obviously, thanks for what. Yeah, no, thank you for your guys's time. Like this has been a blast, and I'm pulling for you.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm ready to just pop off at the mouth anytime on that bus.
Speaker 3: No question, crazy thing. You should have had me and asked that last question. You're just because you're you went to Nebraska.
Speaker 2: I got no ties. I can make them upset.
Speaker 1: Sure well, I mean but still you see like you see a couple of Husker guys talking shop, like, oh, they're giving us the real ship.
Speaker 5: I mean, you made you made my man, Lena, I sit up.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, we're fucking we're doing that. Yeah, I love the energy, dude. No, but thank you guys man. You guys got anything else for us?
Speaker 4: No, good luck to you, thank you, thank you, Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, the battle for the bus is on its way.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: You heard it here first subscribe, grade five stars, all that fun stuff.