Speaker 1: To walk second Students Turing Snow pushas t Minor Snow.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Oh oh, what is this show we have here?
Speaker 3: It's a new intro. Friday is upon us. You know, last year we did a show called The tues Cruise conveniently on a Tuesday today, though, Dan, As we've been teasing all throughout the long, cold, dark off season. That was amid the coronavirus in this pandemic and uncertainty. We always had this in the back of.
Speaker 1: Our minds, Dan, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: What about a space themed college football show each and every week? How does that work for you? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's been working for me since we discussed it in probably January, we think. So plotting this out for a while, I actually remember hitching you on a transition from twos Cruise to whatever. I mean we're calling it UFO. But I think what we're gonna do is change with the U stands for because we didn't come up with anything that we really loved.
Speaker 3: What does the season Friday.
Speaker 1: Or Football Friday? I think Friday, Yeah, because we have the twos, so let's also go with the Friday Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Friday Orbit yeah is where we're going with the F and the oh. It is, of course Week two, but week one really for the Power five teams that are going to be playing this weekend. So what is the you gonna stand for this week?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say underway. I'm going to say underway because it's the only real chance. Well, I guess maybe before the SEC and Big twelve teams play conference games. But I'm going to say right now, because the season is underway and is continuing to get underway. It feels like the right move to say it's the underway Friday Orbit because it's also the start of the UFO. Right, I think that's good.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a better space or cosmic themed words starting with a you that doesn't need to be that we could do right. It doesn't matter because it's our show. We can do whatever we want. We're excited to have our our bawlers here as we get ready for this new season, and again, whatever format it takes on, I am tie that guy over there in beautiful Chicagoland is the one and only Dan Rubenstein. Don't forget to subscribe to the show. Anywhere you get a podcast, you can find our fine show called The soliverbal We will be broadcasting three count them, three days per week. Now that the season is finally here, you can go on out, as always to solidverbal dot com and find all of our old stuff. If you want to know more about what we do, Who's Dan, Who's Tie? What are they all about? You can go on out to the website. While you're out there, you can sign up for the newsletter. We got a lot of fun stuff that we're readying an announcement for I'm going to want to make sure that you sign up and be among the first to receive that announcement. Also, follow along on social media Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, We've got a subreddit. A lot of fun stuff going down right now as we build into this brand new season.
Speaker 2: Daniel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as you are listening to this now, this UFO show. The newsletter of intent is in the mailboxes of people who have already subscribed. And it's a pretty fun one, I think, right it's I got some updates from our end, and I know a podcast.
Speaker 3: I know a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a.
Speaker 3: Sneak pink and oh yeah, it's good. It's not bad, it's good.
Speaker 1: I like to hear that. Also I'm very excited to use the word unctious as a U word ahead of Friday Orbit at some point this year. I don't know when it's going to be, but that's in the Quiver's a vocabulary. Unkempt is wonderful. Yeah, So we've got a lot planned here what we're doing today though, So the UFO show each week is going to be a very specific I know, we did three different segments on the two's cruse last year. We're going to be a little bit more specific and do one big segment and then add on a weekly Q and A to the UFO perhaps sip in some libations time. My working title for that is the Bruine, but it's not finalized. It's not finalized. So I really wanted to focus and drill down today like the movie Armaged and drilling on a celestial body.
Speaker 3: Right, you know they you know that, you know, the true asteroids of no gravity.
Speaker 1: Why did JJ Abrams lie to us?
Speaker 3: It's an operative question. Yeah. By the way, the reason for the space theme we should point out for those who don't know, is I've got something of a fascination with the Cosmos. Yeah, and I think that's what launched this whole thing. Two's cruse just rhymed. This is more of a pet project for me, so to the extent that I can be, I'm very excited to in part some just weird sp themed things on you. There will be a quiz at the end of this show. I don't know if I've prepared for that, but I've prepared five questions that we're gonna ask you, just to we hope to educate not only you, but all the rebawlers out there on outer space as we're going on this on this voyage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say good transition type because it's time to talk college football, and I wanted to drill down on what we usually call group of five teams, but because of the cancelation of the Mountain West and the MAC, it's more of a group of three this season with the Sun Belt Conference USA and Portupuesto, the AAC, the American Athletic Conference. So I want to drill down on things like matchups, teams, games, mobility upwards or downwards, and just where your mind is as it relates to group of three as an idea. The group of three has an idea with now a group of three Power three teams existing as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't roll off the tongue the way it used to.
Speaker 1: No, no, it does not. So you have a name for this segment, right.
Speaker 3: This is the group of three Voyager Dan. This is in honor of the famed NASA Voyager one and two missions that are currently still in operation to some extent exploring interstellar space. So they have left the Solar system, right, they have clearly ascended to bigger and better things. They're out there farther than any other man made object, exploring the great unknown of the cosmos. And it's quite thematic. Now as we talk about teams in the Group of three, what we are essentially looking for is teams that we think are going to separate themselves, whether in terms of intrigue or ceiling from what we perceive the class of the Group of three to be. So essentially, which of those teams is going to rise above and really make a name for themselves in this weird season.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy that you did not make a I don't know, Gasparilla Bowl or Boca Ratone Bowl or Motor City Bowl reference to interstellar space being quite far away, perhaps from the top of college football tie. That's where my mind went. And you are better than I. So here we are.
Speaker 3: Here we are. So when we look around the group of three, Daniel, are there any teams that jump out at you? You know, I'll throw a few out there that I think are in the conversation to be that cream of the group of three. Crop Cincinnati, we know about their defense UCF, we know about their national championship. Of course, Houston has been there, wasn't last year, and Deeric King won't be there this year either. But SMU had a pretty good campaign under Sunny Dyke's Memphis now moving on with a new coach after Mike Norvel went south to Tallahassee. There's Fau in the post Lane Kiffin era. There's app State in the post Eli Drinkwitz era. We've got the Louisiana team that we talked a little bit about on our preview a few nights ago. Anybody else maybe that I am missing, But those are just a few of the teams that I think bubble up when we start thinking about, all right, who's really going to rise above?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've seen it from Navy, you know, a recent group of five to three whatever team, But We didn't see it.
Speaker 3: Against Port No Factoid, not against BYU.
Speaker 1: Not against BOYU. But we saw it out of Navy as recently as last year, Malcolm Perry. We've seen it from teams and I don't know how we want to you know, Army was there, not a group of three specific team because they're in an FBS independent team. Tulane has had some moments. I'm interested to see from this group because really we're talking about the American, the top of the American or the top or the middle, top, middle, upper class, whatever, and a couple of teams from Conference USA and the Sun Belt where there seems to be at least from the American a bit of a talent or at least depth drop off. I think we start at that top, though, we start at the top of the American in terms of intrigue because it is it's Cincinnati's defense. It's how balanced UCF has been, and we saw UCF really proved that last year, even though Stanford wasn't that good. How Dylan Gabriel absolutely shellacked almost one man bandit. I mean it was a balanced offensive attack, But how good Dylan Gabriel was as a freshman against a team like Stanford, and it didn't perform against Pitt obviously, but we see the potential of a team like UCF for SMU Cincinnati. I mean, it was all sort of highlighted with that SMU Memphis game, which I think was a fifty four to forty eight primetime Saturday night game last year. So just all sorts of offensive fireworks. So what the American has to me, especially at the top, is it's sort of the archetypes of an entertaining, interesting power conference and that you have defense powerhouses and interesting quarterbacks. Not even necessarily at the top, but just in the conference in general. You know, I have a crush on Holton Baylor's at East Carolina. So it's really interesting in the depth of fascination to me the American. Yeah, I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: When you look at a team like a Cincinnati, I think they're my answer here. By the way, if you do have an answer and you just want to throw it out there, we're going to play the sound.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to communicate it. But okay, that's communicating with the voyager satellite. Yeah, not a lot of people know I'm just making this up.
Speaker 1: No, no, No, that's good, Tyle. Let's sell it.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's the signal. HM, we can hear it. But Cincinnati to me is very intriguing because they bring back ten starters from a defense that was already very, very good. And I remember previewing some Cincinnati games last year, even in the run up to the twenty nineteen season, we looked at this team and it was like, h Luke Fickle's building something there might not be the most exciting, but we know the defense is going to be rock solid. You know, he's a defensive minded coach, and we know he's got some other guys that he is trying to build around to take that offense to another level as well. Well. The defense is back now, ten starters are back, and so that in and of itself is very exciting. But I've had a thing for Desmond Ridder ever since he took over that quarterback position and was a little banged up down the stretch, a little bang down the stretch last year. But it's just he's always had the feel to me like they have not fully tapped his potential and when they can't, they can crack that code. He does bring a dimension to the offense that would make them more dangerous.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, that is not completing passes down for you.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm wrong about that, right, Okay, but I've always had this thing for Desmond Ridder, and if Cincinnati can bolt on a better offense than they've had, that makes them a very dangerous opponent. You know, take this year out of it, and who knows who's playing whom on which week's given circumstances surrounding the coronavirus. But Cincinnati is absolutely positively one of those teams in normal circumstances where they're playing a Power five school. That's that's a score I'm watching for on the extra size supersized bottom line on ESPN.
Speaker 1: They were supposed to play in Nebraska this season, and you exactly penciled in a Nebraska win. So I don't know how much faith you actually have in Cincinnati. That's right, Ty calling you out as a group of three fraud No, you penciled in Nebraska win and then you I guess like Nebraska to improve this season. But yeah, I might pick is Memphis just because the addition of Mike McIntyre on that defense is interesting to me, because if there was that week link last year it was, and then they had to win some shootouts. They had to win some shootouts to get by Ultimately, you know, Penn State takes them down in the bowl game and they gave up a lot offense to Penn State. So I'm interested to see what Ryan Silverfield and taking over for Mike Norvell but retaining Brady White under center, and that offense should even without Kenny Gainwell, who they lost to opting out of the season for public health concerns. I'm interested to see what kind of momentum they can keep in twenty twenty with the schedule that they have, and if they're able to in the way that Mike McIntyre improved Ole Missus dreadful defense, if he can work similar miracles, but similar improvements into the Tiger defense, that suddenly becomes a more interesting complete team on the level of what UCF ceiling has been these past few years.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking at our friend Bill Connolly's sp Plus rankings, and again this is not coronavirus adjusted. He's got in there. Memphis at number twenty five, okay, number twenty five, with a projected win total of seven point four games. They play ten as a lot of schools will be As I look through this schedule, I honestly don't know you know who outside Cincinnati. I feel good about beating Memphis. I think Memphis is gonna be very good for many of the reasons. In Cincinnati, there at Cincinnati Nippert Stadium, the Nippert Stadium, but I feel pretty good about that over if you were to set it at seven and a half. I don't know what Vegas has it at currently, but the only two on here that really jump out at me as being perhaps surefire losses if you want to go that far, would be Cincinnati and UCF. And even that might be a stretch to say surefire.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's definitely a stretch to say sure fire. But the thing that I'm concerned about with Memphis actually is the schedule, just because of how loaded up on the back end it is. As I read here, I have at SMU, you see Temple, which Temple loses a bunch, especially on defense, but a rod carry defense should still be pretty formidable. At Cincinnati, then it's USF, which it's year one of Jeff Scott Navy on the road in Tulane on the road. This is a quality, quality stretch to finish out a good chunk of the season. That's rough, TI, that's rough, week after week after week. They have a bye between Navy and Tulane. But still, I man, that's a bit of a murderer's row.
Speaker 3: It is for sure one team that we have not thrown out, by the way, for anyone wondering, Cincinnati is thirty fourth on Bill's sp plus rankings, and again not coronavirus adjusted. Ohio State and Penn State and Wisconsin and some Pac twelve teams are still in there, but thirty fourth is where they ranked relative to some of the other teams here. Bill has them at I think around the same. Yeah, seven point one out of ten games. Okay, so commit that to memory. The team that we have not mentioned yet, which some may find surprising, as ucfure UCF is the highest ranked team in this sp plus ranking. They play nine games this year because they're Week one game against Florida International was postponed, so nine as of now, he's got them at a seven point one average win total. I am assuming one of those games is either Cincinnati or Memphis. The other could be Georgia Tech, although I don't know how great I feel about Tech beating UCF. Interesting schedule though they're at Georgia Tech, they are at Memphis, they are at Houston, and they're home later in the year against Cincinnati. So again within the context of the group of five, knee group of three, three road games, including that one against Georgia Tech, is not the easiest slate for them.
Speaker 1: I would go as far as saying this is abo tie. This is American bangers only even at a Tech game, it's ECU, which is not a full banger. It's a half banger. But that offense could be pretty dangerous because again my crush on Hold Naylor's is very well known by now. But Tulsa is better than what their record showed last year, a lot of close losses, and I think they're going to be improved this year. And then at Memphis, Tulane, at Houston, Temple, Cincinnati, and then they finish at USF, which is again year one, but still there is no obvious pseudo bye week to me, which is interesting. I like this tie. I like entertaining week to week, we're getting at least one or two super interesting American matchups.
Speaker 3: Tulane is an interesting name as well, for sure. Willi Fritz has done a really good job over the last two years, back to back Bowl wins. I think for the first time in program history. It should be a pretty good defense. And if you look at this again in terms of the UCS schedule, they've got Tulane in a sandwich spot there, they're on the road at a Memphis team that'll be a big game for them. The following week, they're on the road against Houston. Now Houston wasn't great last year, but Houston's dangerous, if only because Dana Holgerson's there and he knows how to generally build an offense.
Speaker 1: Returning quarterback as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in between, granted it's homecoming, but in between, you've got a two lane team that I don't know if plucky is the right word, but they play good defense. They will again this year, and you know, it seems like Willi Fritz is building something with that program. So the green Wave perhaps washing over Spectrum Stadium in Orlando.
Speaker 1: New quarterback, interesting talent on offense, really intriguing front, and that's the way it's been these past couple of years, as you've mentioned, and their offensive coordinator Will Hall is creative and super well regarded. I remember he interviewed and almost got allegedly the Oregon offensive coordinator job. So he is being looked at as a potential bigger job type candidate. And so for what they have to replace now in Justin McMillan at quarterback, they're in a good spot that they have the momentum, they have the recruiting momentum. This is I like the Green Wave. They are plucky. Might be right, but I think they're ascending in terms of what we'd categorize as a team that's ascending. It'd be hard to argue against Tulane right now.
Speaker 3: The one wild card for me, and I'm going to need some help from you, and we're exactly to place them is SMU. I did not realize that Shane Shell was getting legit NFL hype going into the twenty twenty season his senior campaign. I just I don't know why I didn't realize that. Perhaps it's still a little too fresh in my mind that he left Texas, and I don't know, I don't know if it's out of sight, out of mind, but Shane Baschelle threw for thirty four touchdowns last year in an air raid system, but a thirty four to ten touchdown to interception ratio through for almost four thousand yards. Anytime you've got a guy like that going up against generally defenses that are a bit porous, that's a competitive advantage. They've also got a really good receiver in Reggie Roberson, coming back love Reggie Roberson. Last year, their top target on the receiving corps had one hundred and sixty six targets and one hundred and eleven catches. Reggie robersony Proche, that's right, James Proche. Reggie Roberson didn't quite get there. He was only at sixty four targets, but as the leading returning receiver, you can bet that he's going to see a lie and share of those looks from Shaggy Shane bschell. I have no idea, no idea what kind of defense Sunny Dix is trying to build. But whenever you've got that tandem on offense that you know you can at least start with, that's very promising.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, they're going to be maybe the most entertaining team because of what their defense has allowed and what their offense does to other defense is week to week SMU I think just like last year and they beat up on a not so great first half of their schedule. All apologies to TC in the Iron Skillet, that was a very close game though. We're going to see a lot of that with We see a lot of forty one thirty eights with SMU. Once again, I don't have a ton of faith in their defense taking a step forward. But the reason we're seeing Shane Baschelle get interest from the next level is one, I don't know. There are thirty two backup jobs in the NFL every year, right there are thirty. He's got a film and phill If he's a fifth round pick, they're not going to be paying him a lot of money, so sure, absolutely, Yeah, there's interesting talent where you remember Sonny Dyke's also was instrumental and developing Jared Goff. So his reputation as a quarterback developer during his career is it precedes him. So I get it. He also kind of got a raw deal with the offense and the offensive coordinator he had at Texas when he was there. Certainly much better now, you know, two three years removed from the Seane Michelle era. But I get it. He's He's a decent enough quarterback that can run a successful system successfully. Are there any other.
Speaker 3: Teams that you would like to discuss here?
Speaker 1: Houston's interesting to me because of Dana Holgerson's plan to red shirt and tank last year that didn't fully work out because the best player he tried to do that with and Derek King decided to transfer to Miami. Yeah, with SMU's offensive coordinator Aht Lashly. So No, It's still interesting to me because the level of transfers Houston has gotten there and what Dana Holgerson's track record is. He's working with guys he's coached with before. So I just I'm worried about the long term at Houston, just because the report's about the culture and the interaction between Dana Holgerson and the players there. Last season hopefully with something that blew over and they worked past everything, but it wasn't a promising start for Dana Holgerson at Houston, it seems, and now their biggest benefactor was at Tilman. Fertita doesn't have any money, No, doesn't have any money, ty, So we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens with Houston. I'm rooting for it because there are what six seven legitimately decent to very good teams at the top of the American. So I'm actually more inclined to watch the top of the American and then probably a good chunk of the top of the ACC this year. How about that.
Speaker 3: I think that's fair. And maybe we can get into little bit my weird working theory that if one of those group of three teams is going to qualify for the playoff, this is the year.
Speaker 1: Maybe Yeah, I would say non zero and usually it's zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying it's a great chance, but I'm saying, in a ready odd year, what will be odder than a team like Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news for probably the team with the best shot in UCF, just because they have built thanks to the win over Auburn and what was it the Peach Bowl a couple of years ago. They have the cachet built, right, they have the cachet. They've said, okay, we've gone toe to toe with a top level SEC team and beating them on a neutral field. Now, I know, obviously everybody's going to say to defend Auburn when they were motivated whatever but still we're talking about even they held strong against LSU until LSU pulled away near the end of the game in their bowl game against the Tigers. But the thing is with UCF is they also get Georgia ten early. They get a Power five team, a great one, No, sir or madam, absolutely not. But they do have an opportunity if UCF goes out and beats Georgia Tech thirty eight to three, and say, I don't know a pretty good ACC team. A Louisville beats Georgia Tech twenty eight to seventeen. At least that's a data point that becomes a little bit interesting if we're evaluating UCF on the national level, a little bit interesting.
Speaker 3: It's another data point. And I think that's a fair yeah, a fair statement.
Speaker 1: We don't have much this year, No, we don't do, not have much.
Speaker 3: We got to take what we can get.
Speaker 1: But it's something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who is your answer then? Who separates themselves from that field?
Speaker 1: It's the teams with the quarterbacks I trust, and so it's basically Memphis and UCF. Okay, Neil and Gabriel healthy and that is best. And I trust Brady White, I do, but I at least need an okay defense, and I think I trust Memphis defense more than SMU's defense. So with look, I like SMU because they returned Sunny Dike's and I doubt you know, I don't love the Memphis schedule, and I don't love having a new head coach, but I just I've seen Memphis win some squeaker shootouts and play pretty well against Penn State last year, whereas I'm just not there with SMU.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm going to go Cincinnati. Cincinnati was my initial reaas like Cincinnati a lot. I like them a lot. I like their coach, Luke Fickle, I like their defense. Anytime you bring ten guys back, I'm one of the things I'm very interested in. And I don't know if we talked about this much on the preview, but my guess is that one of the observations after the twenty twenty year is going to be the weird little odd roster tweaks or schemes or just something logistical that served as a competitive advantage for some programs. I think it goes without saying that a team like a note, like a Notre Dame, let's sew them out there. Notre Dame brings a lot back not only a quarterback with them book, but along the lines, both lines. They're going to win the trenches against most of the teams that they play, with the exception of Clemson probably, But having that veteran leadership at such a fundamental level in your starting roster, I think is imperative. It's always imperative, but I think now, given state of affairs, it's even going to have greater effect. What other things now more than what other things are going to rise to that level. What other things Wi'll be talking about come January or come February, I don't know the answer to that. I do think though, that experience for right now, given what we know, is going to be huge. It's going to have an outsized impact, especially when you've got a unit of ten guys that have already played together on defense the way these guys for Cincinnati have. So from my mind, I think that goes a much much longer way than it would even under normal circumstances.
Speaker 1: I think starting the season well is going to be even more important because if a team starts one in three, one and four, given the sort of unusual circumstances and shortened schedule, it could be kind of easy to see teams and players letting up and saying, what are we doing? Why are we even playing? Like that kind of thing is really interesting to me come late October. You know, if a team starts poorly, I think the ability to bounce back becomes very different. This year, I think experience is quite important. And culture, I mean it's one of those terms that we use that's vague, but just how well a job the coaching staff has done in terms of getting players to buy into systems and to buy into each other given the extraordinary or extraordinarily strange circumstances of the season. So that's where a team like Cincinnati, with you know, Luke Fickle has been there. He has built up depth. He's recruited extremely well, by the way, with a team like Cincinnati, maybe more than most of the other teams we're talking about, because as you remember, Cincinnati was in the Big East. They were a power quote power six team, and now they're not, even though the American is essentially a power six if there is going to be a power six, and so Cincinnati is one of the big losers. But on the other hand, if you're a high level three star, mid level three star who's promising and gets like low level big ten attention in a world in which you can in a world in a world in which you can get attention pretty much, if you're playing FBS football and you are excellent, you develop into something excellent. If you are an amazing right tackle at Cincinnati, an amazing edddresser at Cincinnati, NFL is gonna find you. You're gonna be on national TV a lot. Whereas if you're playing at I don't know, Purdue or Indiana in an non twenty nineteen Indiana type year where you're going five and seven and you just you don't want to lose. I kind of think you just go to Cincinnati, right if you're from Ohio, you're from the Ohio area. Yeah, you want to win, and you want to be discovered, and you want to play in a really good defense, especially given.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a really good it's a good place to be. Yeah, my answer is Cincinnati's all okay? And your answer is what UCF or Memphis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll probably take UF Hi you see up in Memphis, but yeah, you see Do.
Speaker 3: You want me to play that again? Or are we good with two.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're good. I sounded wonderful.
Speaker 3: Though, thank you, thank you. I pulled that off YouTube. Where do we want to go next? Here on our underway in the football orbit Friday orbit?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? Uh, we can just talk about Willie Taggert if you want Fau we can.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I'm you know what I'm gonna talk about because somehow I'm going to bring this to Bruce Bouchie.
Speaker 3: Tie, Bruce Bochi in his size eight head.
Speaker 1: That's exactly why, Tie. I don't know. If you've looked at a picture of new app State coach Sean Clark, former app State offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, Okay, he might need to fall under that category of special ordering hats size of Jupiter. It's like an abnormal canalope. Okay, is where Sean Clark is, which I respect that as somebody with a pretty large dome. So app State is very very interesting to me, especially with how they've been able to just continue excellence no matter who's the coach. If it's Scott Sadderfield, if it's Eli Drinkwitz, now if it's Sean Clark, I expect very little to change. They still have talent on defense they're still going to run the ball. We saw what they did. I think they The Sunbelt Championship game has exclusively, exclusively been Louisiana in app State. I'm just fascinated by that level of consistency. So even like on a one week bowl schedule, if APP State were playing Memphis or SMU or Cincinnati, it's fascinating to me. APP State has distanced themselves pretty much from the entire conference. So I just want to tip my cap to the Mountaineers. They're just amazing.
Speaker 3: And you want to talk about Sean Clark's hat size.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if you've had time to google since I brought it up, but if you haven't in your listening, if you haven't, and your tie hilden Brandt, I would do.
Speaker 3: So let's take a look here. Oh yeah, that's a big dome. That is a big r. Yeah there's a little bit of Brett Beilima in that dome. But yeah, little Bert, that's a big head. Okay, we're gonna have to find out an official hat size there and see if we can see if they make a soliverable dad hat big enough that we could send to the app State program and Louisiana.
Speaker 1: Obviously the rage and cagns with what they were able to do last year interesting to me for sure.
Speaker 3: There any players, coaches, staff member besides Sean Clark and his dome besides Sean Clark and is in his dome. But you know, one of the requests that we got here in the build up to the season was that we should focus more on the Group of three because we only got a Power three. Group of three is hopefully going to take advantage of this safely and in a healthy way to highlight what they do well as a conference and some of their some of their players I mentioned Shane Michelle, Desmond Ritter, who maybe I should or shouldn't be as high on as I am. Are any of any other names maybe outside of Dylan Gabriel, who I think you mentioned, that really rise when you start thinking about the.
Speaker 1: The group of three specifically, I mean Zach Thomas has been under center or taking shotgun snaps for app State for a while now, and that that is interesting to me. I mean, I like a lot of guys on Louisiana's offense. Obviously Levi I got Levi. One name Levi is uh is somebody I like a lot watching, especially because he's a lefty. I mentioned a Holton Naylor's I don't know. I think up front for the the Tulane Green Wave, I believe it's Patrick Johnson. He's been there forever. That's somebody who's just if you're if you happen to be watching American football, that you should zero in on.
Speaker 3: No, it's a shame that we can't use Kenny Gainwell for Memphis, but he's opted out. Yeah, given circumstances, he's poised I think to be a draft pick a really productive campaign. Another guy from Cincinnati. I'm not just gonna list off all of Cincinnati's players, I promise, even though I could along the line, but a mod Gardner. Yeah, in their secondary, I think is is really on his way up. Had three interceptions last year in his very first season. Scored on two of the interceptions. So he's an electric player that they've got out there at cornerback who just adds another dimension to this defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to shout out Laane Hatcher, who may have had the most productive season as a freshman for Arkansas State. Now, obviously the Red Wolves have already played and lost a game against Memphis. But Laane Hatcher really interesting to me. When you're able to come in as a freshman and show yourself to be ready to roll on the FBS level, no matter the position, but especially quarterback, that excites me. That gets me going. And Layne Hatcher with how efficient he was as a freshman, it's sort of unheard of. I just I like that a whole lot. There are a couple coaches who were playing in that coaching carousel together, and Will Healey and Mike Houston. Mike Houston and East Carolina came over from James Madison. I'm talking about a national championship winning coach time. And then with what Will Heally was able to do at previous stops on the FCS level, now coming into Charlotte takes them to a bowl almost unexpectedly. You know, those are just ascending programs, especially Charlotte that I just have my eye on, Tie, I just have my eye on.
Speaker 3: I'm a little disappointed, Dan that you didn't mention Demonte Cosey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so am I But there's only so many players I can name on Memphis because.
Speaker 3: One hundred and twenty three targets last year as a junior nine touchdowns, almost thirteen hundred yards. He's going to be Brady White's primary target again. Looking for big things there.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want to talk about specific matchups? I have a list here, gimme him. I wrote down a list here of some specific matchups. Just as you're looking over your season and you're saying, well, there's no real good I don't know SEC game this week. There's no real good Big twelve game this week. Saturday, October third, is that rematch of Memphis SMU that I mentioned, And that's at SMU this season.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 1: We've got the Mountaineers of app State and Louisiana October seventh. That's in Moon tie UCF Memphis in Memphis October seventeenth. You know UAB the last time they lost at home tie twenty seventeen for Orald Different World. Yeah, Houly Casch. So they're they're on the road against Louisiana text so at least Tech gets them at home. Memphis Cincinnati is Halloween. That is a Halloween or tie and game on Arkansas. Yeah, Arkansas State at the Rageingcaguns of Louisiana on November seventh and then Western Kentucky, who we actually talked about on our preview show a little bit as being dangerous, and we mentioned why do you hear like a giant lawnmower or something outside of my way?
Speaker 3: We had this issue with your recording last time with a giant machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there is some sort of machine. Maybe the timing has worked out, but they're at FAU on the seventh of November. So and then Cincinnati Use, which we've mentioned before, November twenty First, okay, pretty good, not bad, not.
Speaker 3: Bad, Dan, are you ready for some space trivia?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What are we calling it? Is this?
Speaker 3: Hmm Jetpard Trivial per space space.
Speaker 1: I like that too. Let's do Jeopard Deep Space.
Speaker 3: Five questions you can answer along at home if you want to. After this, we'll let to fine people go. We're going to continue bolting on goofy segments here. That's what we do, Dan, what is the hottest planet in the Solar System?
Speaker 1: The hottest planet is actually Venus, I think because of the cloud cover, even though Mercury is closer to the Sun.
Speaker 3: You are correct one for one, because I remember.
Speaker 1: I had a planetary place Matt growing up.
Speaker 2: Tie.
Speaker 1: So my my space facts they're okay, they're okay, all.
Speaker 3: Right, one for one. All right, what is the name of the North Star?
Speaker 1: I know the I think the effect is called the Aurora borealis. That's perfect. But oh, it's okay. That's the fact. That's not the name of the star.
Speaker 3: That's the effect that the North Pole. I don't think it's got much to do with.
Speaker 1: Right, right, the colors, okay, the North Star, Dog Star, dog Star, No, it's Polaris, Polaris. Okay, dog Star knows. Keanu reeves his old band. Yes, was just a guess. Shout out to Keano.
Speaker 3: One out of tude.
Speaker 1: All right. Next, here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 3: There is a tough one, Dan. The distance across the United States is around twenty nine hundred miles see to Shining Sea. Twenty hundred miles. Is that greater than or less than the diameter of Pluto?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Less than, it is greater than Actually.
Speaker 1: It's greater solo. Pluto's diameter is less than that of the United States.
Speaker 3: Again, from seat a shining seat, around twenty nine hundred miles. Pluto's diameter is around fourteen hundred and fifteen hundred miles. According to the New hotazons spacecraft.
Speaker 1: It's a dwarf star. Is that what it's called? Our a dwarf planet.
Speaker 3: It's not even really a planet. Depends you talk. If you're talking to Neil de Gresson.
Speaker 1: It's a it's it's called a dwarf planet, alleg I believe categorized as such. I believe.
Speaker 3: Next question, which planet has the biggest ocean.
Speaker 1: In the Sour System? We're talking about a water ocean.
Speaker 3: Which planet has the biggest ocean?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just going to guess Jupiter. Jupiter is correct, it's a big one tie. That must mean it has a big ocean. What is the ocean filled with?
Speaker 3: Though metallic hydrogen? It is twenty five thous miles deep, which is coincidentally enough, the same as the diameter of Earth.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, there's You look at the surface of Jupiter. Tie elite elite happenings. Hasn't there been a Was it a hurricane that's been like going for the Big Red Spot? I got a ton of d time. Yeah, the Big Red Spot is a hurricane that's been happening for god knows how long.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, so all right, he's one am I now two of four.
Speaker 3: You are two of four.
Speaker 1: That is correct. I'm already happy with this result. All right, final question.
Speaker 3: Okay, are you ready? I'm ready, Daniel. Which planet is bigger Venus or Mars?
Speaker 1: I'm looking at my blaze man air in terms of what measurement in terms of diameter? Okay, Mars?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm sorry. The answer is Venus.
Speaker 1: Is that true? Venus is? How much bigger is Venus than Mars?
Speaker 3: Venus is sizeably bigger than Mars, much bigger than Wow, almost twice as big as Mars. And Earth is just a shade bigger than Venus. They're around the same size.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna take your word for it. Is What is it that you would say fascinates you most about space? Is it the discovery of new universes, galaxies, dimensions, whatever, black holes, novas that are what star is exploding? Is it events? Is it discoveries? Is it spacecraft? Is it all of the above? Which is non answer? What is it that if you see a news story involving this with space, you're clicking and you're diving in.
Speaker 3: Anything about new means of propulsion?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is a big matter.
Speaker 3: It's there's a there are several Google alerts set up, right, not gonna lie, this is so good a Google alert coming in about an impossible engine or something of that. Ilk. Yeah, I'm in baby.
Speaker 1: So in the way that some people have sporting events that are bucket lists, like I gotta get to the Kentucky Derby, got to get to the dayton of five hundred. I got to get to Wimbledon, or I have to I want to stay in one of those tropical hotels that's like on a pier, right, the room is on a pier overlooking the water. Would it be accurate to say you have a bucket list experience of like a behind the scenes tour of jpl NO in California.
Speaker 3: Because I want to understand what the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: Well, you could just ask it's just an AMA, a private AMA for you at JABS.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't. I wouldn't know what task. I would honestly not know what task. And it's not from being starstruck. It's just from being dumb struck in a sense, I don't know the right questions to ask. I enjoy the confines of my office chair seeing a Google alert come in and feeling like somebody has unlocked the keys to the future.
Speaker 1: What about going to Hawaii for the giant telescope at the top of Mona Kea.
Speaker 3: We have folks who are very familiar with that telescope who listen to this podcast.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: It's one hundred percent true. Who I'll tell you after the show. WHOA do you have a telescope in? I believe the solid verbal as a whole has a telescope in?
Speaker 1: Would you take advantage of that in a new world.
Speaker 3: In a new world where you can actually interact with people, yes.
Speaker 1: Or you can interact with people like you would fly to Hawaii. Let's say you found yourself in Hawaii for a wedding.
Speaker 3: If I found myself to make it, I would consider it. Yes, absolutely interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the telescope, the TWINKEC telescopes in Hawaii more attractive to you than JPL.
Speaker 3: I would say, so. Yes, I think that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we got to make this happen. Well, look twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty one, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirteen thousand, six hundred feet above sea level. If you can get there, we will be moderately entertaining. About the twenty twenty ones. How about that?
Speaker 3: All right? So, look, this is a work in progress, much the way the Twos Cruise was a year ago. Dan, Right now, we've got an intro in a couple funny sounds. But if you're listening at home and wondering where is this going to go next, you maybe don't even want to ask that question. Because we got real weird with the twos crews. We made shirts. Will have to come up with something UFO themed this year. This was our underway Friday Orbit.
Speaker 1: We need more you words. We want people to submit you words that might make sense over the course of the season. I am going to jam unctious in there one way or the other, but otherwise I'm open.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, that guy over there is my good friend Dan Rubinstein. My name I am Ty Hilton Brand. Our email address is solve verbal at gmail dot com. If you like the show, please go on out subscribe, Please go out and leave us a five star review. Again, not required, but very much appreciated. Don't forget to call in as you are watching all of the action this coming Saturday. Four O eight verbal one. That's four eight eight three seven two two five one that's a reverbline. Our boy, Ryan's going to cut up your voice messages. We're going to play them on our Sunday recap show. Do tune in to that show. We will go through all of the activity from week two as it were, as we now embark upon voyage upon this college football season in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, we got football tomorrow. We have a college football Saturday tomorrow if you're listening to this on Friday, and then we got football. We might have Levi Lewis shredding Iowa State. I don't know. We got something.
Speaker 3: We got something, all right, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilton Brand, thanks again for stopping on by, for downloading the show, for giving us your ear for the better part of an hour. We will be back on Sunday to talk about all the action that was in this new college football season. In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and by all means stay solid.
Speaker 1: Peace.