Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one sixty three of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's our mailbag episode. We'll answer all of your guys's best questions.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder stay on top of all of our stuff. If you listen to these podcast episodes via audio, download the episodes, it does us a huge favor if you do rate and review. If you're watching on YouTube, hit that subscribe button. You see the big red button. Just go ahead and click it, like the video, drop a comment, turn the notification bells on and on social media. Check us out across Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, Recording on Thursday evenings, September twelfth. Lyle, how does it feel knowing you Jing Sprine a perfect game yesterday?
Speaker 2: Would you like to elaborate on that? How it's my fault? I don't think I one time said he was throwing a perfecto.
Speaker 1: I think Brian Wu went into the dugout between innings, opened his phone, opened Twitter and saw that why is everyone hyping me up so much? Do I see perfect game here. Oh it must have been the Marine Layer podcast tweeting that out those fucks. And then he goes out there in the seventh and I gotta make a I gotta make a perfect pitchure. I gotta make a perfect pitch here, and then Nando.
Speaker 2: Went, it's all it's all people Online's fault. We jinxed it. We were the reason Brian Wu gave up the home run of Fernando Times.
Speaker 1: A lot of things are our fault, while even if they actually aren't.
Speaker 2: I'll never understand people that actually blame, whether it's the writers or broadcasters or whoever that mentioned there's a perfect game going on as the reason it didn't happen. You really think Ryan Divish or Sims has anything to do with Brian Wu's perfect game?
Speaker 1: Now? Who do you think thinks about a perfect game more while it's happening, the pitcher or the writer? Please? You think Brian Wu doesn't know he has a perfect game going Do you think he doesn't walk out there between every pitch me and like, no one's reached space yet, I haven't had to go in the stretch yet.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, Oh wait, No, it's Divish's fault. It's Dimmish's fault.
Speaker 1: Come on people, Hey, what did Ryan responded that dude? Yesterday it was delete your Ryan Davis pointed out that Wu was fifteen up, fifteen down right, Yeah, I think it was that one, and then someone responded to him telling him he's jinxing Brian Wu, and I thought one of the most perfect lines I've ever heard coming out of a beat writer's mouth, delete your count and get a life.
Speaker 2: I just found it. I wanted to make sure we get this right. So Devish originally tweets one line tweet. He just says fifteen up, fifteen down for Brian Wie. That's it. Somebody replies, shut up and don't tweet about it again. That got four likes and one quote tweet in which Divish quote tweets it and says unfollow and get a life, which got six hundred and forty five likes, nine retweets, two quote tweets, and some comments. He there is nobody like him.
Speaker 1: Unfollow his kind of So I couldn't delete your account. I think would have been better.
Speaker 2: Probably maybe Davis was in a good mood yesterday.
Speaker 1: But he's never in a good mood.
Speaker 2: In a good mood on the Ryan Divish scale where he instead of telling somebody that you should block him or you should delete your account, it's just like, okay, just unfollow me.
Speaker 1: But I could imagine he'd be less heavy. I mean, he probably had to wear a hoodie yesterday, maybe some pants. It was chilly at the ballpark, so you have to bundle up a little bit. There's always those photos of him bundled up on his computer in the press box like this with the windows open and the wind just blowing straight into the press box while the mayor have another boring, offensive performance and there's very little to ride about, and has to answer the same tweets over and over again. Why Julio when he has a runner in scoring position, grounds into a double play? I mean, I'd also be in a bad mood.
Speaker 2: Right maybe, Although do you think he actually prefers wearing his seven foot or shorts over jeans.
Speaker 1: Well, he's from Montana, hmm. But he probably likes the snow then more than just boring cold. It needs to be entertaining cold.
Speaker 2: That's probably true.
Speaker 1: There's no entertaining cold in Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's fair.
Speaker 1: It just rains, and for the most part, I imagine people leave him alone in Montana, he doesn't look at Twitter and enjoys his life. Meanwhile, he's in Seattle, he's working.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, before we get to the mailbag, I just got to say, while we're on the topic of Brian Wu, to everybody that told me my take was stupid a few weeks ago that Brian Wu should be starting a playoff game. Where you at now? Where you at now, don't get to jump on the bandwagon anymore. Trains left the station, left the fucking station. You gonna, yeah, clap it up? Are you gonna watch? Are the Mariners gonna get into the playoffs? Have a run in September, slate their rotator or slot their rotation, pitch Brian Wu, and then he goes out and throws like six or seven shutout in a postseason game. I'll tell you what, everybody that hypes him up better hop into my DMS and replies apologizing you included.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know I'm not allowed to cheer on Brian Woo in the postseason. Unfortunately, I doubt it. I was a doubter although, but luckily for me, this team's not making the playoffs, so I don't have anything to worry about.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true. We did declare the season over, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be kind of tough to come back from. Uh is there a chance? Yes? Is it happening? Probably not correct. No, if you were, if you were looking at us for a overwhelming optimism to make the make the playoffs, I'd like to speak for Lyle and myself, we cannot deliver that.
Speaker 2: Which is funny to say because usually we are more of the positive Slated Mariners podcast or like positive Splanated Mariners podcast. But man, these last two months have just killed us, like killed our morale. I don't okay, if we're gonna just get in the trust tree here for a second and be transparent, I don't know the last time my morale has been this low watching the team, watching the games, et cetera. Because there's years where it's frustrating and then and there's years where you have to go through the ringer. But even last year when they got hot in August and they were in the race in September, I fired myself up when they had that ten games slate to end the season and you knew, like everybody was talking about the playoffs start today. Remember they went to Texas and then they had to play Houston, and then they have to play Texas again. Everybody last year was like playoffs start today. I was fired up for that. I know they're three and a half games out right now at time of recording this, the Thursday game hasn't happened yet against the Rangers, but man, my morale is just so lo They like they've they've kicked it right out of me this year, and like, why it's different.
Speaker 1: It's probably based on timing. If the season flip flopped, if what they did from the middle of April to the middle of June when they went ten games up happened now and these previous two months were before that, I think you'd be a little more excited right now. I'd be like, look at what they've done. They they would have been what they probably would have been ten games out right, if not more, and they would have built it back to a three and or would have moved back to a three and a half game lead from an unimaginable depth. We'd be it would be all optimism, all optimism, But instead it's the sequencing hasn't worked out, and we're you know, and we're all bumped.
Speaker 2: The sequencing things at fairpoint, that's probably part of it.
Speaker 1: It stinks.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what happened last year. Before we get to the mailbag, is is, yeah, they they started poorly, they had a red hot August, they got everybody's hopes up, and then they didn't get into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: If they did this last year, I mean, it would have been the same fire Jerry last year instead of the people were like, all right, we just need to find some way to fix this in the offseason. Instead. Now it's a lot of very angry people mm hm. So, but not all of you are terribly wrong, because when a team underperforms, you do have every single right in the world to be angry. Let's get to this mailbag. So when we look for positivity, low mail bags are good. Shakes up the questions, shakes up some things that we don't normally talk about on this podcast, and we get to talk about. So put a smile on your face because that's what we're about to do here. The first one is right up your alley. This question comes from Javier on Instagram, and his question is if Brian will pitch the entire season, where would he be in cy Young voting. And I'll add a caveat to this by him saying, what if he pitched the entire season. Let's say he has an entire season worth of stats, where does he finish this season?
Speaker 2: Honestly, you could throw out a positioning or ranking and I'd say, okay, I believe you, which sounds crazy because that means if somebody said, I think Brian we would win the cy Young this year, I'm saying, okay, I personally would not pick him to win it. I'm just saying, by the way he's pitched, if somebody said that, I would not respond and tell them that's the craziest take in the world. It might not happen. I don't think he'd really be over Trek Scooble, probably not set Lugo either, but man would be high up there. He'd be an All Star, that's for sure. He would have absolutely been an All Star down in Arlington this summer. And where he'd finished position wise somewhere in the top five.
Speaker 1: I would say, okay, so here's the top five in war and I'll ask you to place him among these guys, because I think this is a good rough estimate of what the top five, and the syng voting is going to be Trek, Schouble, Cole, Reagan, Seth Lugo, Logan, and tenor Hawk. Where does he finish among those five?
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I put him over Hawk. I'm I'm trying to think. Could he get over one of those royals guys? He'd probably be right around where Logan is, So four or five. Maybe he could jump up to three again, maybe he could jump somebody like Reagan's.
Speaker 1: Maybe here's yeah, So here's here's how I've looked at this. The problem with Wu even so I tried to extrapolating based on what he's done, if he made a full season's worth of starts, he would have thrown about one hundred and seventy eight innings, which would unfortunately put him behind every single one of those guys. So he'd have less innings than everybody. He would have the lowest strikeout rate, I believe, of all of them. So when you look at that, his expected numbers aren't, uh, they're good, They're very good. But his raw stats and his the right word for not expected stats, but like actual stats. Actual stats have been a little bit better than his expected stats this year and I do think the modern day voter does look at that at least a tiny bet of how how flukeas season is and how it isn't. And he'd be projected for about four wins above replacement, which would be lower than the top four. So here's how I set this up. I think he would finish right behind Logan Gilbert. Wherever Logan finishes, Logan's not going to have a lower ERA than Brian would because let's say he pitches those extra seventy eight innings or I think it's seventy two innings, he would, let's say he'd have a three ERA on the dot, which would be exceptionally good if he managed to get that far with that be a little bit better than Logan's. But Logan's got the higher volume of innings, and he strikes out more batters, which voters find more valuable.
Speaker 2: And Logan leaves baseball in Web two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Whip too. He's got a lot of things, a lot of things working for him. So I just think wherever they would slot Logan output Brian right after that, and as that sits right now, he would finish probably third or sorry, fourth or fifth in Cy Young voting, if he kept this up for an entire season thirty two starts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're right around. We're right about at the same boat with where we position them. The thing about wo strikeouts, I think that's a part of the reason his expected numbers aren't as good as his actual stats, because last year he was more of a strikeout guy. This year he's not striking out as many batters. But it's not like he's not getting results. Nobody hits him hard obviously, Nobody really barrels him up all that stuff, and it's because he gets a lot of soft contact because people cannot square up those fastballs. So look, expected stats are good, they're not perfect, but usually those things will take strikeouts pretty heavily into account because it's so self controlled as a pitcher, rather than relying on your defense. But don't you think people would look at Brian Who's walk rate? The fact that maybe the most slept on story of all pitchers in baseball this year is he's essentially the new George Kirby. Kirby's been known as the guy that doesn't walk anybody. Wu legitimately does not walk anybody anymore, which is a crazy turnaround from where he was just in his rookie year, whereas walk rate wasn't off the charts bad, but it wasn't great. It was somewhere right in the middle. Now he's just like the King of not walking anybody. So all those things combined, the four Wars season, the crazy stuff full volume. Yeah, I mean, he'd probably be about four or five. But he'd be in that race if he had thrown a fall year.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of ways to look at that point right there. Number One, even with the low walk rate, his FIP is still not the best and not close to the best of that group. There would be quite a few guys ahead of him that have a better FIP. So he's got a three to three FIP right now. All of the top five have a better FIP than he does. And that again, he doesn't walk anybody. And that's a third of Phipps's equation, which is essentially what's your ra ballpark based on walks, hits, sorry walks, strikeouts, home runs on that and he already essentially does the best at one and it's still three to three, which is suggests the numbers don't like it quite as much. The other thing is when you have such a low volume of innings, which if he pitches next year and throws two hundred and ten innings, none of this matters. But for how it is this year, based on the pace he's going in the projected one hundred and seventy eight or so innings, you would be expected to be a little bit more dominant in an overwhelming fashion in swing and miss if you're only throwing that many innings. You brought up Corbyn Burns. What did Corbin Burns do so well in twenty twenty one? The overpowered hitters a lot, and will overpowers hitters, but not with strikeouts, and ultimately voters do want to see that because that is the best form of dominance hit that pitch can do is striking out batters. Usually, if you're picking the best pitchers in baseball, they also usually strike out the most batters.
Speaker 2: Fair Yeah, no, then those are all good points, and strikeouts seem to play a pretty big account into winning Cy Young Awards these days. I'd still put him probably somewhere in that top five, maybe at the lowest I put him at seven, but he'd rate.
Speaker 1: Doesn't need to be a thirty percent strikeout rate. But Can he go up from twenty to twenty five percent? I would do a lot that it's a little bit less than what Logan does. What's Logan's strikeout rate right now? I can look.
Speaker 2: Nine. I want to say something like that. I mean, obviously strikes.
Speaker 1: Out percentage, it's twenty twenty seven percent for Logan, So like twenty it's not too far off a twenty seven percent strikeout rate for Logan. Like we think Logan strikes out enough batters to win a sy Young Award, So that's twenty seven percent. Can he get most of the way twenty five percent in the modern day for a pitcher with as good as stuff as he has is not impossible. In fact, it is more than likely as he develops a consistent dominant secondary pitch that he doesn't have right now. Dominant lyle is the keyword there. Dominant secondary pitch, he will the strikeout rate will will reflect that pitches development and that.
Speaker 2: Uses it is starting to go up a little bit for him, like you've seen him put more emphasis on it this year. It'll be interesting to see what he does with it in year three. But little by little here you're starting to see the usage in his secondaries jump up a little, which is good because as good as those two fastballs are, you can't just throw two fastballs forever. And you're starting to see him develop some of those other three pitches more because he's got the change up, he's got a sweeper, he's got a slider, he's got some other stuff in his arsenal. Okay, second question in the mailbag, I'm blanking on who this is from, so apologies that if I don't have the question, or if the name of the person that sent the question, but they ask which position group that is underperformed for the Mariners this year will bounce back?
Speaker 1: So this is from let me look in son of Chemo Sabe on YouTube. Okay, I think I pronounced that correctly. What position group is most likely to bounce back? I think you can boil this question down to Okay, so which positions severely underperformed this year? The list I have is center right first second, and you're sorry your tire infield.
Speaker 2: Are you about to lift the whole roster?
Speaker 1: But I should have just said, well, you could pick seven out of nine in the starting lineup they are the ones who underperformed. So it's center right and the entire Mariners infield, not counting Cal Raleigh, the realistic guys to bounce back who have anchored spots for next season. I think of the two guys you can decide on here, because we don't know who's going to be the full time first baseman for the Mariners next year. We don't know who the full time second basement is, and we don't know who the full time third basement is. Therefore, it is hard to predict a bounce back. So the decision is between Julio Rodriguez and JP Crawford.
Speaker 2: And I picked Julio, Okay, tell me why?
Speaker 1: Uh So? I chose why because he is gonna be in a prime age next year. JP's gonna be thirty as a shortstop. It's when guys starts slowing down, especially when they start hitting in Seattle, when they turn thirty, they some some of these guys fall off a cliff. Uh And Hulu is going to be just twenty four next season. And I just have a hard time seeing Julio Rodriguez with a six ninety one ops next year. If Julio's just gonna get back to sort of his career norm of a close to eight hundred ops. Then that, combined with a center field defense, would be as valuable as the Mariners probably need Julio Rodriguez to be. Of course, we want him to be better than that, when in terms of what the Mariners need for a productive player in center field, eight hundred would be just fine. There's another interesting thing. When I was trying to think about this for JP.
Speaker 2: Wait, did you want to say that for a minute?
Speaker 1: Well, sorry, well I was gonna say why I wasn't gonna choose JP, but I'll let you go go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, so he's my pick, okay, And he's my pick because how could he possibly have a year like this again next year? He's barely hitting two hundred, his ops is six thirty six, he's battled injuries all year. Shouldn't there be some bounce back for him in twenty twenty five. I'm not saying he's gonna have the one thirty WRC plus season again, but I still fully believe that a fully healthy season a JP Crawford, he give me a one ten to one to fifteen WRC plus hitter. His ops is in the seven fifties. He'll walk a lot, and you've seen his defense. Pick back up this year, so that may be his career year what he did in twenty three, don't. I don't see any reason why he can't be an above average bat that hits toward the top of the order if he is fully healthy in twenty twenty four. And that's not that unrealistic to say. Is that like a one to ten or so number come twenty twenty five, Which is why I picked him at the spot because this is like he's gone from a total career high to a total career low in terms of his production. I think there's some middle ground there, so.
Speaker 1: You would think that, and I think JP in general, his based on his offensive approach approach, has a more sustainable idea of what he wants to do at the plate year over year outside of Julio, who it mostly depends on, as we've seen this year, how many pitches he gets to hit in the strike zone. And this year people stop throwing pitches in the strike zone. He's still swung and look at the results. But did you know that JP's OPS this season is actually closer to his career OPS than his OPS last year was Aka, it is more close to the median JP Crawford season than last year.
Speaker 2: That doesn't totally shock me. But again, last year, the things he did and everything he changed about his approach and his like the fact he's hitting the ball harder, it just felt like such a step forward. I don't think that's totally lost. I don't think he just all of a sudden one day had that fall out of his back pocket and he can't get it back. Because twenty twenty three felt like such a step forward for what JP Crawford does and who he is as a hitter. I don't think that's lost on him. I think the injuries had a big part of why he didn't play the way he did in twenty twenty four, and I think he can get back to some form of.
Speaker 1: That lost No, but it does look like that number is a bigger outlier than this is an outlier bad season.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll find out. I mean, I'm gonna be honest. You're putting high praise or high expectations on Julio again in twenty twenty five. I'm gonna be honest. What are like, Maybe I'm a wet blanket for this and a Debbie downer, What are my expectations for Julio in twenty twenty five for what he set. My expectations for him is he's gonna be a one to ten WRC plus hitter. That's what he has shown to be in the last two years of his career, and until he proves otherwise, that is what I'm going into twenty twenty five believing about him. He is going to be a very slightly above league average bat who plays good defense and can steal some bases. In the last two seasons, outside of a ridiculous August in twenty twenty three, he has not given us any inkling of who he was in twenty twenty two, Like there has no been no prolonged stretch of superstar play at the plate. And look, this is gonna be a tough and probably brutal offseason because we don't think they're gonna spend very much money, which sucks because what would I do if if if you know you were in that position, like I would go out and find superstar bats because in the last two years, the guy you thought was gonna be your superstar bat can't be relied upon to be right now, again, I think he's a like a slightly above league average hitter right now, So.
Speaker 1: You're less confident in his ability to bounce back because a one to ten WRC plus Julio combined with his defense is a four and a half win player problem.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the right now? One oh two? That's not that much of a bounce back. I have more confidence than JP being a one ten WRC plus hitter next year, than Julio being a one thirty to one forty. Like again, this is like, I'm not this is my expectations.
Speaker 1: Kind of Uh, it's kind of unfair.
Speaker 2: Why is that unfair?
Speaker 1: That's that's a sliding skill. Well, but JP only has to get to a one ten.
Speaker 2: Well, one's expected to be a lot greater than the other.
Speaker 1: That's not not wrong, but no, I Julio's only crossed one one forty once and then he's gone under one forty twice.
Speaker 2: So again, so say one thirty, I have more confidence than JP to be a one ten than I do for Julio to be a one thirty.
Speaker 1: But a bounce back for Julio would be a one one twenty, wouldn't even need to make it to one thirty.
Speaker 2: I still have my doubts.
Speaker 1: We're not saying what would it take for who's gonna win an MVP. We need him to bounce back. We need him to have an eight hundreds. That's what we need. That's a bounce back for Julio next year, right.
Speaker 2: And out and outside of one month in the last two seasons. Has he proven that? Like, has he given you enough confidence in the last two years to say he is going to do that?
Speaker 1: No, No, he hasn't. But JP Crawford you could say the same thing. He's he's been hurt. But Lyle, he was so good in just the second half last year. He had three good months to really excellent months to finish last year, the first three months. It's pretty close to what he's doing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So it's a tough we can we can marginalize a nitpick with both of these guys. I think ultimately, I think the Mariners, based on all the positions I let I read off at the start of this, you know what they need. They need both of them to bounce back. That's what they need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do. I just like again, obviously, for three years in a row now, people have had sky high expectations for what Julio could be in each respective season. And this is just where I stand for who's gonna be as a hitter in twenty twenty five? Like this is right now who I think he is as a player. He is a slightly above league average hitter. And if I go into the year believing that's what he's gonna be and he performs to that, then okay, that's what you expected. If he's better than that, great, then he blew your expectations out of the water. But this is kind of the precedent he's sent the he's set the last two seasons.
Speaker 1: Let's get to our next questions. Let's break up the arguing here, let's have some fun. This is from Mitchell Hopkins on YouTube. His question is it's packed two rivalry week. Actually it's technically the lyle Now six pack. Congratulations PAC twelve. Who wins the Apple Cup? And who wins the Civil War? And by the way, Apple Cup is wazoo? You dub Civil Wars Oregon State organ for those unfamiliar.
Speaker 2: Aren't you not allowed to call it the Civil War anymore? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, everyone calls it the Civil War still except the schools. Okay, so my problem with it? You know my beef is I have no problem with them wanting to change the name. If you want to change the name, and I get the reason why they did, I just would have rather than actually chosen a different name besides the rivalry game.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, yeah that's fair. Well, you could tell the people a lot more about Oregon State than I can. I will say Oregon has looked pretty underwhelming, to say the least in their first two games. I mean, they almost lost to Idaho at home, and then they beat Boise State by a little bit. I'll still pick them to win. I don't think it's going to be an inspiring win, but sure, I'll pick Oregon to win. Washington Washington State. I think that game's gonna be close. I actually think it has a chance to be high scoring too. I'll say Washington wins that one. But John Matteer for Washington State has like a crazy game both through the air and on the ground, but Washington just barely finds a way to win.
Speaker 1: I think both games gonna be close to I'll give the Koogs an edge. I think the I think the stale environment is gonna almost help Wazoom. I would say they probably should be playing this game in Pullman. I have no idea why it's not being played in Pullman. A lot of terrible decisions being made by PAC twelve leadership and President's time after time after time after time after time after time again, which ultimately led to this game being played at Lumen for some reason. It's gonna be half empty, if that might be less than that might be a third full for this game. I was checking out tickets. Tickets are still like eighty bucks for a game that's gonna have no one at it. I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: That's actually got down. That it was like two hundred dollars earlier this week.
Speaker 1: Like they're gonna have to cover seats. It's it's stupid. It's not college football if you're playing it in an NFL stadium.
Speaker 2: Which is still crazy that there's not gonna be a bunch of U Dub fans at it because it's not like it's a big track. It's in Seattle, who knows who?
Speaker 1: Who knows, But I think that one will be that one's gonna be close. I'll give Wazoo the edge there because I think materis X factor. I think it is a good word to you for him with with his with his legs, and I think you get have a pretty good game both these games. I really feel I could go either side. I do feel like there's a bigger talent gap between the between Oregon and Oregon State than there is between Washington and Wazoo. Especially with the continuity of the Wazoo coaching staff that certainly helps a little bit more than than the continuity of Oregon State's coaching staff. You know, looking at this this Oregon State game, I'm not gonna dive into it too much because I have plenty of time to talk about it on Saturday before the game actually happens. You know, I like the beavers chances a lot more than I did before the season started. I thought this game was gonna be an absolute blowout, But Ducks have looked bad. They've looked bad for a team that has as much talent as they do, So I think that's gonna game that's gonna come down to the second half. Beaves are gonna try and hold the ball as long as possible, but I think ultimately a Ducks have have too much star power and they'll probably win on a One of their receivers is gonna break off a bit going in and that'll be the difference. I like those predictions, but at least they're playing it on campus, so the energy will be good. Unlike again, I just can't believe they're playing that game at Lumenfield.
Speaker 2: Stupid.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, before we get to the next question, let's take a quick pause. We're gonna talk to you about our friends at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five. You want to watch some rivalry college football this week. You want to watch the Mariners, You want to watch Seahawks the NFL, basically whatever you want. You want to go watch boarding events, head over there. You want to have some great food, head over there. You want to play some pool or some darts, head over there. You want to do all of that, Well, it's all over at Pub eighty five. And if you head over during happy hour there's great drink specials. It's three and four dollars from two to six pm on Monday through Fridays. Whole nine yards. That's all over at Pigotcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. Question number four. We got this one on Instagram, and the question is why don't the Mariners act more like the Kraken. Let's see if I can get who sent this one in right? I want to make sure I try to give people credit for these because they're nice enough to send them. And this was from Andrew J. Sunday on Instagram. He said, why don't the Mariners spend Okay, the exact question, if you want to get it word for word right, The Krack can have spent a boatload to cash this offseason. Will the M's ownership ever take a hint?
Speaker 1: I'm not saying the Mariners shouldn't spend more money. They should spend way more money than they spend right now. But like, what are we doing? They're different sports? Would you like it? Would you like a fun fact? Llyle?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: You want to know where the Kraken rank and cap spending minichel Yeah.
Speaker 2: I lay it on me.
Speaker 1: Twenty third. What would people be saying if the Mariners were twenty third in payroll?
Speaker 2: Well, it wouldn't be good. That's about where they were last year. They're a little bit higher.
Speaker 1: Now they're in like they're what sixteenth now? Yeah, twenty third? I will say in the NHL, the Margins are a lot smaller to get up to the number two payroll. It's only ten million dollars, but the difference between the salary four and the NHL, which is sixty five million, and the cap which is eighty eight million, it's really not that much money. So we're dealing with smaller margins here. Less money comes in with the NHL. Therefore they spend less on players. But like guys, the Mariners outspent the crack in this offseason, like not even spending money on real free agents besides Mitch Garver, like literally just adding the increased pay of Josh Rojas, of trading for Luis Surius, signing Mitch Garver, adding Jorge Polonko, signing Ryan Stanik, like without even lifting a finger, and going after real free agents. They outspent, outspent the Cracking. I love what the Crackinger are doing. It's great, it's fantastic, but they also have a floor to appease to and a lot more roster spots to fill. It's and also it's just it's a different It's like complaining about teams not spending enough. It's like, look at the NFL teams that spend all this money, Well they have to. It's literally in the CBA that they have to spend this much money and they have to fill a roster and a practice squad.
Speaker 2: Well, when the next CBA negotiations go on in baseball, which there's probably gonna be another fat lockout, when that day comes around, they should get a salary floor implemented. I'll tell you that, because.
Speaker 1: Players are never gonna go for that. They're gonna put in a cap.
Speaker 2: You're saying the owners would never go for a salary floor.
Speaker 1: Owners would never go for that because then they well, they would go for it if they if the players agree to a cap, which they would never agree to.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's fair, and.
Speaker 1: So I didn't mean to come off in a disparaging way. Andrew, I appreciate the question. I just think it's really difficult to compare sports in spending.
Speaker 2: I will say, if the Mariner should take a hint anywhere from the Kraken, it's extending their own players. Because the Crack have now extended Mattie Benier's, They've extended Adam Larson, they've extended Jared McCann. I mean, they've made some free agent signings too, but they have extended guys in house, like I know the Mariners have made some moves in free agency, and they've extended extended a couple guys in house between Luis, between Julio if you want to count Evan White when they extended Evan White. Yeah, they should extend more guys in house that are contributing to this team because not only are they not spending money in free agency, but they're not spending money on their own players right now either, So they should do what's.
Speaker 1: What's the Mariners in house extension counter? We have three.
Speaker 2: If you want to count Evan White, Yeah, that's the other one.
Speaker 1: They've offered more. I know they offered kell Nick one. I'm guessing they offered Gilbert one.
Speaker 2: Two. Yeah, but they're probably low balling all these.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. And so what what are the cracking at three?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So it's about even?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, the marriage should still do it more.
Speaker 1: Same playoff success too, funny wow, in the same period.
Speaker 2: In a three year span. Now stretch it out to twenty two years and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Then we might have to start a cracking podcast too.
Speaker 2: I need a lot more hockey to do that anyway.
Speaker 1: But if the Mariners want to go sign more free agents. I won't say no. I won't say no. I just think it's difficult to compare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Next question, this comes on Instagram from Chuck seven three four six, and the question is which starting pitcher are you trading this off season for a bat?
Speaker 2: Our answers are different on this. We talked about it a little bit before we started recording. You know what, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 1: The picture I am trading for a bat this off season if you have to, let me note this, if you have to, is Logan Gilbert, because he will get you the most return. He will hit free agency first, and he will be the most expensive of your in house guys that are under rookie contra, under arbitration contracts. It makes the most sense. This pains me. I don't want to trade Logan Gilbert, but if you want to get the best bat possible, you are trading. If you want to get the best bat possible and that bat is actually available someone that is worth Logan Gilbert's value this off season, then you trade him. And oh, by the way, before you trade him, you get the whiff from him that he's not signing an extensions. Here, you need to know that for certain But once you know that, then you have to do it. Because he's reaching free agency first, he'll be expensive and he's the most valuable. Will Logan Gilbert's value ever be higher than it is right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or no?
Speaker 2: I mean I think there's a world he can continue to get better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but is his value gonna be higher?
Speaker 2: There could be a chance. People pay a pretty penny for starting pitching, which is why, which is why, honestly, like we can get into my answer here too, I have multiple But that's why I think, like you seem to really undervalue or that's I shouldn't say undervalue it, like it's a certainty. You seem to believe that Luis Castillo would not get you much of a package in return, whether it's because of the no trade clause, because of the age, because of the contract. Again, people pay a pretty penny for starting pitching, especially very good starting pitching, And I think if the Mariners were to eat most of that contract and send him somewhere he was okay going to, you could still get real bats back for Luis Castillo.
Speaker 1: Now, the problem is, why are you trading him if you're gonna eat most of.
Speaker 2: The contract because you need bats.
Speaker 1: The whole point. But the whole point of trading him in the first place is saving money. You can get.
Speaker 2: Bats, but they're not gonna spend money in free agency on bats.
Speaker 1: If you can already eat money, why wouldn't you just keep them?
Speaker 2: Because you have got to find a way to shake up this offense and get it better. And like, who's in free Like, let me throw this back to you. Who in free agency?
Speaker 1: Do you really want Tony in Wan soa?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like guys like that? You think the Mariners are getting in bidding wars for those guys? Do they ever get in bidding wars? I'm down? Like again, just take out the value beers for Juan Soto, like we've said a million times. But I don't think they're getting in bidding wars for those guys. And if that's the case, what is an extra twenty four million dollars a year on the books for Louis Castillo gonna change?
Speaker 1: I don't think the Mariners are trading Louis Castillo to eat his twenty four million dollars. That makes no sense. Well you might, I think they need to go get a bat, but eating his money the whole point of trading a picture is to not have to worry about paying them in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, then you're gonna tank his value for what you could get back. Well I I would again, You have got You have to find a way to get offense. And if this is the only way and you think there's real bats you can get back for him, then eat most of the money.
Speaker 1: But they they won't. They won't be able to afford the bats they're trading for.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about this contracts split fifty to fifty or maybe even sixty forty. Well, okay, so then then the team that takes Louise is paying him twelve million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: You could try, but then I will again bring up It all comes down to what Luis wants, because he holds the cards in any trade that has his name in it, all of the cards. He he turns into the president of baseball operations. Sorry, he skips past that, he turns into the chairman because the trade doesn't happen. If Louis Castillo says, I don't want to get traded from Seattle. I like pitching here. I bought a home here, I like living here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all true. That being the main point of that I'm trying to make about Luis is the idea that he will not bring you back much value. If if you do the right thing and you say, Okay, this is not about saving money, this is about going to get offense and make this team better, which should be the whole point, I think he can still warrant you back real value. I still think Luis Castillo can get you back Kobe Mayo, Heston Kurstad, whoever it is from the Orioles, if he were to agree to a trade.
Speaker 1: There, if you eat the money, if if you can somehow find the way to convince Mariner's ownership to eat all of that money and take on new players who will be expensive within three years, then yeah, yes, but it all rests on that no trade clause. Because with that no trade clause, there's no way you are trading that money. There's no way you're trading all of that money away and getting anything of equal value in return. You will get less value trading him away. If you're trading away all that money too.
Speaker 2: Well, by the time said players you trade for might get expensive, Luise would be off the books by that point. So then it's fine. The money, the money's gone.
Speaker 1: You need more than just those players.
Speaker 2: Well, but it's a start. You've got to You've got to start somewhere. And again, they need a third baseman, they need a first baseman, they might need a second baseman, they might need an outfielder. We'll see what happens at dage like and they won't spend in free agency, so it has to come from somewhere.
Speaker 1: It's a start, but it is not. It is not what I would put at the top of the board this offseason in terms of if you're making a two doo on on things to try, I don't think that should be your number one thing because what does that tell Luis Castillo next season if he has to veto you trading him off the roster and then he shows and he shows up at spring training and he's like, oh, what do these guys think about me? Hmm?
Speaker 2: Fine. So here, here's the second point in this topic that I is going to make. I want you to start this again for the sake of just the start of this question. Eliminate all other factors. Who do you think is more likely to sign an extension here, Louis castor Sorry, not Louis Castilla. We're past him for now. Logan Gilbert or George Kirby just one answer, Logan Gilbert. So why not trade Kirby?
Speaker 1: Because who says Logan Gilbert actually signs that extension if you think.
Speaker 2: You're probably not keeping both. So if you think you have the chance to make it happen with one and you have to trade an arm, like I don't want to trade any of these arms, but if you have to trade one, I don't think it's crazy.
Speaker 1: So what percentages are we doing? Are we saying Logan as a twenty percent chance to sign in George's zero? Are we saying Logan as a sixty percent chance to sign and George is a twenty? What are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: I think if the Mariners gave him a fair contract, he'd be pretty open to it.
Speaker 1: What's a fair contract? And would they be willing to pay him that? Because you know what a fair contract for what Logan Gilbert's doing right now? Thirty million dollar You know what they're not gonna give Logan Gilbert right now thirty million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Well, they should, or they give him something close to it.
Speaker 1: They should if they were willing to actually pay up. Then then we wouldn't be talking about trading starting pictures.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I know George Kirby has the extra year of control. But look, the first part of this is just speculation because you know, the general public and the people I feel like know so little about George Kirby's personality because he's not really out there. He's pretty to himself. He's pretty introverted. He doesn't do a lot of media stuff. But so again, what I'm saying maybe not true in any in any way, shape or form, but just from like reading his body language and stuff, whether it's on TV or wherever, when you watch him, like, he doesn't always seem like the happiest camper all the time. I don't know if that means he doesn't like being here. I don't know if that means that's just how he is. But if you really think that, like he has no chance of signing an extension and isn't interested in it at any point. Paired with the fact that he has not taken the jump forward that people were hoping he was going to take this year, he has had a bad six weeks. He had a six to eight ERA for the month of August, it's now way over five in September. He still really doesn't have a true outpitch, so he's not really striking guys out. But all that being said, you get a haul back for George Kirby. So all that combined, is there a world where he actually makes the most sense to trade?
Speaker 1: Depends what you want back. Like I said, I was trading. The idea behind trading Logan Gilbert is that you will get the most out of trading any of your starters.
Speaker 2: So let me piggyback off that point. I'll use what Jeff Passon talked about on Brocken Salk this week, because we've talked about the Orioles is a very obvious team that would make sense to trade with. He's mentioned them too passing, but he threw out another team, he said, the Red Sox, and he threw out some of their the names of their prospects, and I will he didn't say this, He thought the Red Sox probably wouldn't be willing to trade this player. But Stalk asked the questions, I'll ask it to you, uh insensitive comments aside, like if if you have a problem with what this guy said, I understand, like, like obviously, and if you don't want him.
Speaker 1: I know what you're talking about, and I do, but yeah, tell you.
Speaker 2: I get it. And if and if you're listening and you have a problem with what he said, then that is totally understandable. We totally like and if you don't want him around the team, I get it. But if you're just talking about the player, would you trade George Kirby for Jared Duran? Straight up? I said it'd be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said it would be tough. But that's about as equal as it gets, right, I mean, it's a big league All Star with the exact same amount of control, said a really good season, and he's essentially it fits exactly what you need.
Speaker 2: Oh he said like eight and a half wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. And he's an outfielder and he hit and he hits for average and he hits for power, and he's fast and he's athletic, all things you just don't have enough of on this roster. It's it's legitimately everything. So man, would I do that?
Speaker 2: That's tough, It's tough. It's really tough.
Speaker 1: Never I didn't have a good answer to it on the air, like he opened his mouth, and what he said is just Irra is just terrible and should not be said. So from a I'll just I'll use that as my reason to say no. But on a talent perspective, if you're looking for equal value for either of your starters, that's it. It's that right.
Speaker 2: And if it wasn't going to be that, like the Red Sox would have to give you a flurry of prospects, somebody like William or Brew was the other name that was thrown out there. But that guy can't be the headliner for George Kirby. He's had a really good he's had a nice year. He's had like a three win season. But if you were going to trade Kirby to Boston, you've got to get back either a bray You or Rafaela, like one of their two rookies. But you've also got to get one of their blue chip prospects back, somebody like Roman Anthony, who, by the way, we saw down at All Star Week and just like lit up that prospect showcase on that Saturday, somebody with real power outfielder, top ten prospect, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And that's where it comes back to why are you willing to trade a starting pitcher if you're not going to get equal value back, And then we respond and say, yeah, right, it doesn't make any sense because you're not gonna get back what they're actually worth. But when you're unwilling to spend the money to make up for that lack of return and talent, then this is like, this is what happens. Like, do the Rays get equal value for all the players they trade away? No, because they have no choice because they can't spend the money to pay those players. Right, And that's the situation the Mariners in. There is a very real chance if you're trading one of these pictures in the off season, you're not going to get back equal talent and returning. You're gonna essentially take a talent loss on the trade, which, you know what, is not going to make the Mariners better next year. If you're thinking about it realistically, the best case scenario this offseason, if the Red Sox are willing to do it, is trade you Jared Durant, Right, that's league That's better than anything the Orioles can offer you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know they're not gonna trade Gunner. They're not gonna trade Adlee. They probably wouldn't even trade Jackson Holiday.
Speaker 1: So and and you know, Kurse Dad and Colton Kaowser are good players, they're not Jared Duran.
Speaker 2: No, they're not proven. Like Kowser has a chance to win Rookie of the Year, but he's still not Jared Durant. And by proven, I mean while Kowser has had a good year, he's got to repeat it a little bit. This is Jared Durant's best year by far, but he has had other good years aside from this. It just wasn't at this level. However, We'll say it again, if you have issues with the comments that he put out there, or you think players in that clubhouse or people in the organization would have issues with the comments he put out there, and that's your reasoning for you don't want any part of them. We understands that's totally reasonable. But if you're just looking at player come to play, the value there is close.
Speaker 1: And it makes a lot of sense because the Mariners emphasize culture a lot with that, right, and something like that is just not anything that's beneficial to any sort of clubhouse period. So and you late, ultimately it's all speculation, right, because maybe the Red Sox very well might not want to trade Jared Durant. It's like, oh, why would the Marriors want to trade a pictuer? Oh why would the Red Sox want to trade Jaron Durant. He's one of their best players.
Speaker 2: Right this year? He is their best player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, and Logan gover to the Marior's best player this year. And look at that, we're talking about trading him. How unfortunate. Before we get to our next question, let's hear a word from Game Time. There's just a couple of weeks left in the baseball season. If you're looking to get out to the park one last time, let game Time help you get there with killer last minute deals, all in prices, views from your seat, and their lowest price guarantee. Game Time takes the guesswork out of buying MOLB tickets. It's a big series this weekend against the Rangers, and their are some fantastic deals I'm looking at. It's nine dollars to get in today on Friday to watch Jacob de Gromp. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Fifteen dollars on Saturday and eleven dollars on Sunday, get a panoramic view of your seat and toggle the all in pricing feature so you know how much you're paying and what the view is before you buy. Your purchase is covered with the most flexible customer service policy in the ticketing industry. Take the guesswork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, create an account and use code just Baseball for twenty dollars off your first purchase terms apply again. Create an account and redeem code just basse Ball for twenty dollars off. Download the game Time app today, Last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Penultimate question, lyle, let me.
Speaker 2: Ask this one because I think it's my turndd to ask you. But okay, you've got one for the end that's important that you fire up. So this next question is on Instagram. Always a favorite question. By the way, when we get questions on this topic, let me again make sure I have the name right, because again, we appreciate everybody that sends in these questions. They're awesome, thanks for putting in the time to think about it. But this is from k Jaketta on Instagram and they and they said, what happened to Katuk. Let me say, you think we forgot about our guy, You think we just forgot about him? Absolutely not. People. There's two reasons the Kyle Talker talk on this podcast has simmered in the last few weeks. Number One, he's been injured for about three months. He's now back healthy, but he was injured for a long time. Number Two, the trade deadline ended. There is in this current time period no possible way in which the Seattle Mariners could acquire Kyle Talker. However, the very first day the off season starts, we're fucking back. We are gonna miss no time, waste no time. As soon as the off season starts and Kyle Discourse and Kyle Tucker Discourse will start again.
Speaker 1: The hike is still on. In case people were wondering, that hasn't changed if the Mariner's trade for him. In December, we're hiking a mountain in the snow.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. We're going. We're vlogging again, so group outing anyone that wants to join us. We'll let people know where we're going. It's probably gonna be mailbox peak. We'll let you know the day, We'll let you know the time. If you want to join meet up with us, and we're going like we're doubling dout, Like it'll be this off season that offers on the table. It'll be when he's a free agent after twenty twenty five, when the offer's on the table. If he wears a Mariners uniform, we're hiking.
Speaker 1: You know. Sources have said that Kyle Tucker heard some of these rumors and has been dodging the Marine Layer podcast in hopes of having this idea of going to Seattle go away.
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't help but notice when he was rehabbing in Seattle the last time the Astros were here, he was he was pretty quick to make his way into the dugout.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: He might have wanted to either he either wanted to wanted to dodge the mic because he couldn't be seen, He couldn't be seen tampering and he or and or he wants to keep everything under wraps. He can't let the people know he wants out of Houston. He can't let the people know he actually loves hitting in Seattle. He can't let the people know he's gonna try to cook up a trade to get to Seattle this offseason.
Speaker 1: The astros purposely holding him away from the Marror nurse.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think they are, of course they are. You think the astros want to uniform? No, yeah, hm hmm, there, I bet you. If it was up to the astros, he wouldn't have even been on that trip in the first place. Don't even let him get a sniff of Pacific Northwest Air. Don't don't even let him get a second of looking around and being like, Wow, this place rules way better than that industrial dump of Houston. I'm getting out of here.
Speaker 1: We'll see you soon, Katuck. We'll see you soon. We did not forget about you. No.
Speaker 2: Also, I can't help but notice nobody Uh wait, I was a gonna say. I can't help but notice nobody on the Mariners wear his number thirty? Wait does Austin both wear thirty? I think, so, well, he's changing his number. Actually, well, he's a free agent at the end of the year. So either it either he'd come back and he changes number, or it would be available, or Vote signs back first, keeps the number. Then they trade for Katok. He goes up to Austin Vote and says, listen, what do we have to work out for me to wear number thirty and both I'm sure would oblige or.
Speaker 1: No, actually it's backwards. Both goes up to Katuck and says, I will take a Bentley for number thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually I don't know if Kyle Tucker has that type of money yet.
Speaker 1: Uh. If he's a Mariner he will have a nice big contract. Oh so yeah, he's gonna have that money. And what does he get making his last year of BARB twenty million dollars? Yet he can afford a Bentley Lyle?
Speaker 2: That's fair? Also, vote does war thirty? I just confirm that. So yeah, both can get a Bentley. Katuck gets the number, they both get a Mariner's World Series.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, well I like that idea. Look at look at us, Austin. We're working in your favor here.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. You get to be you get to be part of a world series roster. All you have to do is give up your number to one of the best left handed bats in all baseball.
Speaker 1: Last question this comes from I Will Fear I Will Fear No Evil on Instagram. The question is if you're a GM, sorry, let me reframe this question. If you're the Mariners GM, what specific moves do you make this offseason all right?
Speaker 2: I've been saving some energy for this one. So here we go. Here's exactly what I would do. I'm trading for and extending Vlattie. I'm signing Anthony Sontan Dare, and within all that, I am walking right up to the Mariners. I am walking right up to the Mariners ownership calling them out for their cheap and still mindset, demanding that they start spending money. Stop lying to the people about how much money you really do or don't have, stop acting like mister crabs, and start spending. And if they say no, I am slamming my hands on the desk, telling them if you refuse these demands, I'm calling an emergency press conference, throwing every single one of you under the bus with the exact quote of this. No beating around the bush, just straight backs, I would say, and I quote, if I could spend more money, I would, ownership won't let me end quote right there. They have two options. Spend the money to get these players. AKA, if you're training for Vladdie, you're also extending them. Spend the money to get these players, or be called out and let the entire public know what you've really been doing all along, which everybody already knows. But then it's confirmed, whoof.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I have a lot of questions here. First though, do you make it down to the press conference before you get fired?
Speaker 2: You think I'm telling them what I'm gonna say in that press cap Oh wait, actually what am I saying? I just admitted that I was going to say what i'd say. M all right. I'd have a whistleblower send texts to everybody in the media saying there's a press conference that you're not gonna want to miss in fifteen minutes, and you better be there.
Speaker 1: There is going to be a passing tweet firing you before you get down there.
Speaker 2: Breaking.
Speaker 1: While Goldstein has been fired keyword fired for his role of general manager of the Seattle Mariners.
Speaker 2: Good when they write in the papers cause of firing, cause of firing, telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Sources tell ESPN that he cussed out ownership and called him quote, yeah, a lot of things, Well, spend some money.
Speaker 2: The question was what would I do if I was the GM. That right there is what I would do. I care about the city, I care about the fans, I care about the team winning. I care about the players, and every single one of them deserves transparency and buy it. And if they ain't willing to give it, as a person in power for the time being, until I get fired two minutes later, I'm letting everybody know why it's not happening. You know how pissed off i'd be as a GM and I just had my hands tied behind my back by ownership. I don't know how Jerry and Justin do it. I really don't how They've gone as many years as they've gone in this organization, and you know how badly they probably want to say it like it's like I mean, they probably know everybody can read the tea leaves, but they probably want to say it's so bad, but they can't do.
Speaker 1: You know what makes up for it These enormous paychecks that cash in your bank account every two weeks.
Speaker 2: Hm. No, yeah, I'm gonna be honest. I'm a man of the people. Paychecks as I hit my MIC paychecks winning a World series, I'm a man of the people.
Speaker 1: Well, I think winning a World Series is up there for them too, But the paychecks are pretty nice, dude. You got to do to keep a job.
Speaker 2: You know what makes you money? Winning a World Series.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not wrong, You're not wrong. There, I will let you, can you give you a realistic plan what you do as a GM. Not Let's I like your first idea. Let's now say, in a realistic sense this offseason, what would you do?
Speaker 2: Fine, I will be more realistic. However, that is what I that is what i'd actually do if I was the GM. But fine, also come to your question and put out what is a more quote unquote reasonable off season. I'll say this an off scene, that an off season that is more likely for what a Mariner's off season would look like if I was a GM. That's what I'm doing. Anyway, I I would I would probably sign Christian Walker because you need a first baseman. You really really need a first baseman. Like there is an opportunity where you could have Luke Raley and Tyler Lockler platoon next year. But if you have a chance to sign Christian Walker, go sign Christian Walker, because he, like Pete, would be great too. But he's probably gonna command more money in a longer contract than Walker. Well, so I'll say Walker, and then I would say, I mean I would love to go find one more infield er like, I'd love to go find a third baseman, but I don't know how many third basemen are out there after the Matt Chapman extension other than Alex Bregman, who there's no way he'll sign here. So maybe a trade for somebody. Maybe you can find somebody else in free agency. But I'd say Christian Walker is the big one. And I know I'm partly stealing your answer here, but you gotta shed some of the dead weight off this roster, because there is dead weight, and you cannot run this roster back next year because we've seen all the problems it's caused.
Speaker 1: Okay, my unrealistic expectation on myself as Mariners general manager this offseason, I would write a legally binding declaration. I would write into law at T Mobile Park that Abraham Toro would be barred from ever entering the Mariners clubhouse ever again, therefore making it impossible that he ever suit up in a Seattle Mariners uniform ever again, and that instantly would make it the greatest Mariners off season of all time.
Speaker 2: Counterpoint, what if he's in an MVP race, the Mariners have the opportunity to trade for him straight up for cash considerations.
Speaker 1: See, you went like right past the factual state of the universe when you let that sentence out. I think I don't know if I heard you correct that. I just want to clarify you said.
Speaker 2: Abraham Torrel in MVP can consideration hypothetical world dog, I'm asking a question.
Speaker 1: Was there what was the last MVP that was da Fade before he won the MVP.
Speaker 2: If I can change and you can change, everyone can change. Aka Abe Toro can change.
Speaker 1: No, he can't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's never allowed in the Mariners Clubhouse ever? Again?
Speaker 2: Are we getting that plastered on the wall somewhere? We gott in a poster? Are we getting a quote?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right outside the Mariner's Clubhouse. It's gonna say say no to Abe. I'm painting it. You know, football coaches love their slogans well as general manager. There's only gonna be one slogan painted. It's gonna be right there outside the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Seattle Maryor Clubhouse unless your name is Abe Toro.
Speaker 1: See you.
Speaker 2: All right? Now? What is your realistic?
Speaker 1: One realistic is you eat Mitchaniker's money in your DFA just as you said, shed some of the dead weight on this roster. They can't carry this many outfielders, and he looks like right now that he's going to play the least him out. Sign Christian Walker to play first base, and then use every last resource possible to make sure Julio is ready to have a one hundredth percentile twenty twenty five season, because as it stands right now, based on the money available to you, there is going to be no bigger addition this offseason than getting Julio from the state he's at offensively right now to a state that he can achieve when he exceeds every expectation and he plays to his one hundred percentile of talent.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope they find a way to do that again, I said earlier in the podcast, I just can't let my expectations get too high firm at this point in terms of what he'll do at the plate. That being said, if he blows everybody's expectations out of the water and goes nuclear next year, great, because that is how this team can find a way to a World Series, especially with this pitching staff.
Speaker 1: Not gonna sign Juan Soto. You might as well have one soda at home. Lile and that's that's that's whatever improvements you can get out of Julio Rodriguez, that is that? Or is that unfair? Or should I say Tony Taters at home?
Speaker 2: Well, Juan Soto's an atrocious defender where Julio's elite. But in terms of a hitter.
Speaker 1: Or hitting sense, I mean, I think we.
Speaker 2: Know Julio's absolute peak. He can get. I think Julio's absolute peak in terms of the talent he has. Yes, he closer to Juan Soto than Anthony sontandren I think. So I'm not saying he is one Soto because Won Soto might be the best pure hitter that we'll see in our generation. There is a real world that could happen. Now that Aaron Judge guy has something to say about that too, But I'm just saying there is a world where that happens. He's like, he's certainly on pace to have a case. But yeah, like, I think Julio is closer in terms of top end talent, what his absolute stealing is to Juan Soto than Santander, but he just hasn't come close to that as a late But yeah, so so Wan Soto at home I guess it's possible.
Speaker 1: That's what they're gonna have to do. It's literally we can't afford to go out to eat. We're gonna need to make something at home this offseason.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: And your best home cooking is that, dude? We're a number forty four in center field?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree?
Speaker 1: You like that analogy?
Speaker 2: I was good, it was very good.
Speaker 1: That's great depression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great way to end the show. Perfect, perfect transit or like a perfect banger of a line to wrap up this podcast. Thank you all all you guys. By the way, who's send in questions? We're sorry if we couldn't get to everybody's those that we answered, they were awesome. Thanks for being creative. We love doing these. We love taking your guys's questions. It's always fun. So we'll do another one of these, I'm sure here soon enough, in a few weeks. But yeah, all the questions were great, keep them coming when we do these. With that, I'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. You want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods, make sure to download these episodes. Make sure to rate and review, leave it as five stars if you're listening to the pod. If you're watching, make sure to subscribe, make sure to drop a leg on the video. Make sure to comment, and if you're on social media, which come on most of you are follow us Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod. That's TJ.
Speaker 1: I'm Lyle.
Speaker 2: As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. I'll talk to you soon.