Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into their processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, I lead mutual fund and active research at Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: My cost is Christopher Kine, us quantitative strategist at Bloomberg Intelligence. Chris, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: David, So, I wanted.
Speaker 1: To ask you about the small cap BMVP portfolio, as I really think it's partin into our discussion today. How has the focus on certain factors helped that portfolio up perform an index like the Russell two thousand.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, our small cap BMVP multi factor portfolio is very similar to our large cap version. So it's a only multi factor portfolio using four main factors, which is value, momentum, low volatility, and profitability. So our small cap version beat the Russell two thousand equweight index by about ten percentage points this year or last year, I should say, up about twenty percent versus about ten to eleven percent for the index. You know, it's not really a mystery why. You know, most of the factors did work in small caps last year similar to large caps. Would I would flag that value seem to work a bit better, you know, in small caps, but the devils and the details kind of about how you define value. But yeah, it's been a strong factor year for both market capitalizations and hopefully continues great well.
Speaker 1: I think our guests can add some color to our discussion on factors. I'd like to welcome Joel Schneider, Joel's deputy head of portfolio management at Dimensional Fund Advisors. Joel, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Hey David, Hey Chris. Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: So before we die into factors and discussion in general, we'd love to hear how you got your start in the investment business.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure. I'll start with the short answer first, which is serendipity, meaning I didn't really set out to work in investment management. The longer answer is, you know, I was one of those inquisitive kids that used to take things apart to understand how they worked, and it's probably no surprise I wound up in engineering, but before I got there. After school, growing up, I used to go over to my grandparents' house and my parents both worked, so my grandparents watched US for a couple hours, and my grandpa would always watch CNBC, and so it was riveting for me, as a young person that like numbers, to see all these prices flying by, to see all these company fundamentals being talked about. But there was sort of a randomness to the stock market that never really made a lot of sense to me, so I sort of put that interest aside. I ended up going to college and studying computer engineering, and then I worked at Lockey Martin and I designed communication systems for the Navy and the Air Force. And as I was there, I began to realize that if I was going to progress in that role, I needed to learn corporate finance. So to be the head of a large program, or to be the head of a division, you had to have your own P and L. So I needed to understand corporate finance better than I did. So I went back to business school at University of Chicago to get an MBA, and while I was there, I learned that there were a lot of theories and frameworks and evidence that actually explained how financial markets worked, So to me, this was really cool. There were valuation frameworks like discounter cash flow models that help you value companies. There were portfolio theories that talked about the benefits of diversification based on the covariance of different assets. There was arbitrage pricing theories that helped explain how the prices of different financial instruments were all kept inlign with each other. And then importantly for today's discussion, there were factor pricing models that helped explain what drove returns in equities and bonds. And so after seeing all this, and actually really importantly to me was these weren't just theories. People were actually rigorously testing them using the scientific method which I'd come to learn in engineering. So all of this allowed me to see through the randomness. And when I graduated from University of Chicago, there's really no place other that I wanted to work than dimensional because we'd been associated with a lot of the academics that founded a lot of those frameworks and did a lot of that research.
Speaker 1: That's great, and so you know, actually, let's talk about dimensional or you know DFA as I call it. And I'm sure a lot of others, and I know many of our listeners know of DVA, but we'd love to hear you know, from your I guess experience working there, you know the basic tenants behind the DFA investment philosophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, if you don't mind to understand our philosophy, and might be helpful if I spend a couple minutes describing our background in our history. So, yeah, we've been around for about four decades and we've become one of the largest investment managers and more recently the largest active ETF manager in the world, and we manage about eight hundred billion dollars of publicly traded securities, so across equities, fixed income, real estate, and commodities. And we have this really deep academic heritage and so a lot of our investments, and specifically our investment philosophy that you asked about, is rooted in research that's been done by multiple Nobel Prize winners as well as many other leading academics. And what we see as our job at Dimensional is to implement their research in real world portfolios. So what that ends up looking like is we run very low cost, broadly diversified portfolios, but they are not exactly indexed. So we have active strategies that actually outperform our benchmark index is at a greater rate and over longer periods of time than most other managers. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone that has sort of the types of numbers we have, So just to give you a sense of what those are, if you were to go back over the last decade and say what percentage of managers beat their benchmark index in the industry, it's a pretty low number. It's only twenty three percent of managers. But at dimensional seventy eight percent of our funds have beating their benchmark index over the last ten years. And if you extend that over twenty years, it gets even worse. For the industry, only eighteen percent of funds have beaten their benchmarks, but ninety two percent of our funds have. And so I want to get into the investment philosophy now to sort of explain how we do that. But a key insight, remember when I said our job is to implement the best ideas in finance. Well, our co founders actually founded some of the first index funds in the early nineteen seventies, and in doing that they came to realize that trading in a really rigid way where you have to buy and sell the stocks that the index tells you to is a recipe for high trade and cost, and so they realize back then that there's a difference between passive and indexed. So I think this may help us in our conversation today. But I just wanted to find passive and active, or sorry, passive and index For passive, I think that means just treating market prices is fair and generally holding securities at their marketcap weight. For indexed, that is an implementation approach. It's basically where you are forced to buy and sell securities when some third party index provider tells you to. And so a lot of the key to doing better than indexes is avoiding that type of implementation. All right, So that was a really long way to get to your question. But in terms of our investment philosophy, I think it boils down to in competitive liquid markets, prices are generally fair, they're forward looking, and they already represent a consensus prediction about the future. And so the challenge that a lot of traditional active managers have had is that they're trying to outguess those market prices. And as we all saw yesterday in the news, all of a sudden there was news that the Chinese company behind deep Seek had this great new AI model that challenged the business model of some of the US based companies and the suppliers of chips, and so really quickly prices adjusted, and I didn't really see a lot of people out there calling that ahead of time. So markets are moving in real time. Prices are adjusting, and so our philosophy is embrace that, just make use of it. And so it starts with just saying the prices are what they are, they're a reasonable prediction. How do we bring other pieces of information to combine with the price to understand which stocks have higher or lower future expector returns given that price today? And so that to many people they call that factor investing. But you're combining different variables or financial metrics from companies' income statements or balance sheets with the price to make some inferences about which stocks are likely to do better in the future.
Speaker 1: No, that makes sense. I do want to touch upon what you said about indexing and passive and so, you know, this being a podcast focused on active management, if you could further elaborate on what you consider the inefficiencies of indexing. You know, you mentioned you know the news yesterday and you know obviously, you know, holding an index, you know that that becomes an issue, and so i'd just love to hear more about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So again, indexing to us is an implementation decision, and it's basically outsourcing your trading decisions to some third party index provider. And I think there's multiple issues when you outsource to them. Now, if we step back, a lot of people think indexing is really sort of low cost, and I would actually take issue with that. I think it's low fee, but it's not necessarily low cost. And what I mean is that there's a lot of hidden costs involved with indexing. A big one of those is that the indexers are all forced to trade the same names on the same day, the same time as all the other indexers. And so a really fun analogy is it's sort of like buying roses on Valentine's Day? Do you think you're going to get a good price? No, Right, if you bought roses a week or two before or after, you're going to get a much better price than if you're buying them on that day. So that's called the index reconstitution effect. And you guys may know these numbers better than me, but if you look at the growth of indexing, the total dollars chasing after the same names, I saw numbers las year at the end of last year around like twelve trillion dollars in index products. So that means that when there's these rebalance events, you've got billions of dollars, tens of billions of dollars that are all chasing the same stocks. And what that does is it tends to on average, push up prices of names that are being added to the index and pushed down prices of names that are being dropped. And our research we actually just did an updated set of research papers on this. There's a lot of academic work about ten years ago, so we decided to do an update for the next decade. We looked at both US and non US equity indices, and we found that prices get pushed by about four percent on average. Four percent. I don't know if that feels like a big or small number to the people listening, but let me just put that in context a little. Let's say an index has five percent turnover a year. It's pretty low turnover. Eight Well, if five percent of your portfolio is getting four percent worse prices that's a potential drag of twenty basis points a year. Now, when people think of the low expense ratios or management fees of indexing, that twenty basis points of hidden performance drag is in many cases much bigger than the fee they're paying, So really their total cost of ownership is a lot higher than they think it is.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The challenge with seeing that is both the index and the index fund suffer from that because they're both adding the stocks at the close on the rebalanced day. So your index fund will have maybe no tracking here with your index, but both of them have that performance drag baked in. So I think that's one of the biggest inefficiencies of indexing. I think there's other ones, though we can get into this a little bit later, especially when you're trying to capture factor. Premium indexes have a lot of style drift, and that becomes a big issue. I heard Chris at the beginning talking about capturing some of the premiums within small cap like profitability and value. Well, if the Russell two thousand is only rebalancing once a year in June, then that means they've got eleven months where the stocks they hold have drifted. Many have become midcaps or large caps, and so the index style drift is a major issue. And then you know, I talk with a lot of institutional clients and one of the things that they've come to really realize is that a lot of their index managers may be charging them a very low management fee, but then they're keeping a pretty large percentage of the securities lending profits from those stocks, and in some ways that serves as sort of a shadow management fee, right it looks like you're only paying a couple BIPs and expensory sue or in management fee, but then they're keeping a slug of the sect lending revenues for themselves. So those are just some of the issues. I'm sure we'll get into more of them later. But there's there's definitely issues with index implementation, and you can do better than indexing by not being so rigid.
Speaker 1: No makes sense, and so you know, switching from passive over to active, and you know, I know Chris has a bunch of questions for you in terms of you know, factors as you touched upon a little bit, but I would just love to hear you know, what factors in the research at Dimensional have you found that historically driven performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the answer to that depends on what time frame you're measuring. So we like to think about three different timeframes. So in the long term, let's say we're measuring over a year or more. In terms of those long term drivers, it's company's valuation, their profitability, and their size. Then you start to get into some of the more intermediate or shorter term drivers. Let's say we're measuring those over months or weeks. They're things like momentum or asset growth, or interestingly, stocks that are expensive to borrow. In the securities lending market, that's actually, to me a really cool factor. We often say that we extract information from market prices. So earlier you asked me about our investment philosophy, and I said, we take the prices for what they are and we see what information we can extract from that. Well, here's an example where the securities lending market that is another market just like the stock markets a market, the stock lending markets market, and it's got prices, and if people are willing to pay very high fees to borrow stocks, often to shorten them, that's actually a really negative sign that explains under performance. Of stocks over the next few weeks after they become expensive to borrow. And then the last very sort of short term factors are things related to liquidity. So one of them that's in the academic research is price reversals, and then the other are things related to implicit trade and costs, so spreads, price impact. So I think, really zooming back out, you want to think about which factors are reliable, but then which ones apply over different timeframes, and how you implement will depend on the timeframe that they apply over. And so I think maybe the last thing to add before I'm sure you have questions on that is some listeners may be wondering why I didn't mention some of the commonly cided factors that they've heard of. And unfortunately, you guys have probably heard the term the factor zoo. So there's so many people publishing papers about different factors. You know, some people say three hundred or four hundred factors have been identified. Well, those are mainly filled with either deplicative or unreliable factors. And so when I say deplicative, I just mean that once you control for the factors I already mentioned that the other ones don't add any new explanatory power. It's not to say there's anything wrong with those, it's just it could be you know that you're going to approach that factor using some other definition. That's fine as long as you know and you're not being redundant and applying basically sort of the same factor twice. And then the other reason why I didn't mention some is some of them just don't pass the high standards of the scientific method which I talked about earlier, and that is you need to have a strong economic theory for why a factor should exist. You need to be able to reproduce those results, and they need to be able to hold up an out of sample testing. Otherwise it's hard to be confident that those will occur in the future.
Speaker 3: So interesting, I you know, it's a jewel. I reserve the right to steal your buying roses on Valentine's Day analogy. I love that. So my questions around combining multiple factors, I mean, you know, thank you for walking through that. That was really interesting. With the different timeframes, you know, I don't see many people frame it that way, So you know, can you talk us through how those different timeframes you know, apply to a multi factor process. How do you combine factors, especially if they have different time frames? It is any element, and I guess, I guess I can ask do you believe in factor timing, Like, do you think there's a way to time factors or do you think it's a better approach to just have a relatively constant exposure to factors that you believe, you know are are advantages for the long term.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, it's a two part question, So let me take the second part of your question first, which is we have looked for every way that we could possibly think of time factors, and we really wish that you could just Unfortunately there's no evidence that you can, and that oftentimes the cost of getting it wrong is really significant.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: One of the things I learned in engineering is you always have to think about if a certain part or system fails, how bad is the outcome when it fails? And getting factor timing wrong can be a really expensive and so generally it's better to take multiple factors that are reliable but that oftentimes are not highly correlated with each other and include them into a multi factor portfolio. This is going to give you a little bit more risk control and the ability to sort of ride out or survive different periods in the market when certain factors are in or out of favor. So I think, Chris, that gets to your second question, which is, then how do you start to combine multiple factors into a portfolio? And I think there's a few lessons to keep in mind. The first one that I said earlier is, you know, more factors are not necessarily better. There's a quote that's often attributed to Einstein that I really like that you know, supposedly pretty much every quote is either attributed nowadays to either Einstein or Mark Twain, so you never really know if they're said, but anyway, it's a good quote which says everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler, right, So there is room for things that are complicated in this world. But just throwing additional factors into something, even though it may seem sophisticated, sometimes actually is detrimental. And so I would say you want to start with factors that are rigorously tested or not duplicative with one another, and then, like you said, understand the timeframes. And so the way that we approach it is those long term factors that help explain returns over years those are good things to actually build a strategy's construction around, right, because you can do that in a pretty stable way without a lot of turnover, and so things like you mentioned earlier you were talking about that small cap strategy, So things like valuation, profitability, size, those are great to include in a long term strategy. And the way that we do it is we will start with market cap weights of securities, and then to the extent that securities look good across multiple factors are bad, we'll overweight and underweight relative to market cap weights. Now, then this brings in some of those shorter time period factors, and so with those, I think it's important to not apply them in the construction because if a factor is changing its signal or it's information is providing you every couple of weeks, then it's going to cause a lot of turnover in the portfolio. That could cause very high trading cost or if you have taxbile investors, that could cause them a huge capital gains tax bill. So there, I think the best thing to do is to use them as delays. So let's say that you would have purchased or sold some security based on the long term factors, but then you screen them for the short term factors, and then you may decide to either delay that buy or sell and then substitute in another name that isn't having that maybe negative short run expected return. And so I think that tends to be the way that we think about it. And then the last thing that I would say is you really want to understand how those factors interrelate with one another. And so for example, value and profitability, they tend to be complements. So more often than not, when the value premium is negative, the profitability premium is positive, or vice versa. So therefore those are great to combine in a portfolio, whereas profitability and let's say growth, those tend to be positively correlated. So if you aren't careful, you could just be doubling down and increasing your risk without really increasing your expected return. So I think that's the main way that we think about including multiple factors.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting. Thank you. I mean, I think it's relative unique that you guys do like the you know, the long term and in the short term, and I thank you for explaining that. I mean, that's really a really cool perspective. Who knows if Leonardo da Vinci actually said this, But people say, Leonordo da Vinci said, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. That's what that's I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. So you can borrow my Roses's Day and I'll borrow your supposedly Anaro DaVinci.
Speaker 3: And who knows if you said it or not. But you know what, when you when you name drop Leonardo da Vinci, you sounds smart. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was Mark Twain, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, who knows it was Yogi Berra? No? Yeah, you kind of let me do another question I had so, you know, like I write a lot about factor investing and and sometimes people that maybe you know, certainly aren't as sophisticated as you and might not know much about this stuff, they'll come back to me and say, why don't you have growth as a factor? Is in growth a factor? You know? What's the difference between something like profitability or maybe a more broad definition you would say quality and value? I'm sorry, and growth? Are they the same thing? Is one better than the other? Why do you always talk about quality slash profitability and our growth? What would you say to a question like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you bring it up because I do think it's confusing for a lot of people, and they often conflate these different factors, and so I see the same thing when I talk with people, and I think some of it just comes down to not being clear about how these things are defined. And so for us, we define value as companies that have low valuations. So you can use various metrics. The good news is that they all actually contain some information. But some companies have low valuations, some have high. To us, the low valuation or low relative price is value and the high relative price is growth. Where when you get into quality and look, I know other people have different definitions of growth, including companies that are growing their earnings, which is also kind of related to profitability and momentum. There's some interesting work Robert Novi Marx who's a professor at the University of Rochester. He's looked at momentum and profitability growth, and so there's sort of a version of earnings momentum that's really interesting research. But at least those you can tie them to specific line items on a company's income statement or balance sheet. I think with quality, unfortunately, I have to say it's a bit more of a marketing term. Than a financial term. And what I mean is I think it's designed to appeal to people's sort of intuitive sense of, oh, well, this company has quality earnings or quality balance sheet, but there's no standard definition of that, and so I think this causes a lot of the confusion. And when we look at the research on quality, there's a number of variables that managers tend to use, so return on equity, leverage, earnings, variability, others. And unfortunately, when you add those factors in to a model that already contains profitability, they don't add any additional explanatory power. So I think for listeners, if you have a portfolio that is already focused on valuations, profitability, and then momentum considers momentum as well, you're pretty much picking up all the effect that you're going to get from both quality and growth.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with that more. I mean, even in my own work, you know, I've kind of moved away from saying quality for those exact reasons you said. People have different ideas, and you know it does play on people's like, of course you want high quality on low quality, right, who wouldn't. Yeah, But I mean in my research and I'm sure you'd agree with this, Like, profitability is by far the biggest driver of quality, and the other things really add negligible value, and so why don't we just use profitability. It's much more easy to understand, and I think that the you know, the research there is kind of more clear. So I totally agree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, and I think Leonardo da Vinci would agree with you as well.
Speaker 1: Talking about factors, you know, you mentioned long term factors kind of you know, it's the basis for the portfolio management. So certainly if you can kind of go into the investment process a little bit of you know, from a manager's standpoint of, you know, what are they? What is the process of, you know, taking this research and implement that into an actual portfolio or you know, our funds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, I think I would describe our investment process using three words. The first is stematic, the second is daily, and the third is flexible. So let me say what I mean by that. Every single day we take current market prices and the most recent company fundamentals and we use that to assign companies to in terms of different factors, so value or profitability. Also, we then calculate sort of theoretical weights for every security in every portfolio. And I'm really gonna highlight the word theoretical there because this is only using the long term factors, so we haven't enriched that with additional information about the short term ones yet. So it's sort of a rough work and process, if you will. And so every day, though, we have a description of those securities and where they sit across the different factors, and that's very different from an indexed based approach. So let me just contrast it real quick. If you're invested in a value index, for example, or a profitability or quality or whatever index, they're only doing those updated calculations and bucketing of securities maybe at most every quarter. Oftentimes, even when they say they have quarterly rebalances, they're only really redefining the breakpoints between those factors on a semi annual basis, So they're working with stale information. And so we have a daily process to combine securities and financial metrics categorize stocks. At that point, our portfolio managers will review that updated information and where those stocks are sitting, and we'll compare it to our current holdings, and so then that may suggest that we may want to do some rebalancing. So you're familiar that in X is rebalanced maybe a couple times a year. Well, we rebalance a little bit every single day, so it's like having two hundred and fifty or so rebalance events throughout the year. And so every day we're looking at the cash flows coming in and out of the portfolio and thinking, how do I use those as efficiently as possible. If there's some security that became a lower valuation or more profitable, and we want to increase our weight in that, how do we use the cash flows coming in from either clients or maybe from corporate actions like dividends, how do we redeploy that cash just to the stocks that we want to increase our weight in. And then that's when we start to apply those shorter term criteria, those shorter term factors, And what that will do is it will cause us to delay from trading some of the names. So we will say, all right, well, there's maybe ten securities in the US arch cap space that we want to buy more of, but three of them maybe have these short term negative factors, We'll go by the other seven instead. And from there what we do, and this is this part becomes very unique now compared with anyone else to know in the industry, is we will send those over to our traders, and let's just say hypothetically that we want to spend fifty million dollars, we will give our traders, let's say three times that amount of order candidates, So we'll give them one hundred and fifty million in order candidates, and we will give them the exact share counts and price limits and everything, so they don't have discretion on which securities to eventually buy. But what we do is we give them flexibility over the timing and the quantity. So we say, buy anything off of this list today, We'll come back and do it tomorrow and the next day and the next day. And so what ends up happening is our portfolio managers get all the positions they want, but our traders also get the flexibility to not have to cross spreads or push prices. And so this helps avoid an issue that both index funds and active managers have, which is, in some ways most of them are demanding liquidity from the market. They're going and saying I need to trade a specific stock in a specific quantity at a specific time and when you do that, you just don't get great prices. Whereas if our traders can sit over on the favorable side of the spread and let other people cross and we can get some price improvement, that actually is a value add in our process. So that's how the process works. When we say it's systematic, we've built systems to do this daily rebalancing in the lowest cost way that we can.
Speaker 3: Really interesting, it's like buying one ros a day going up to Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris, I've tried to extend this analogy where sometimes I say, we give our traders a shopping list and tell them to go to the grocery store, but then we only give them a budget to buy like a third of the shopping list, and so every day they have to buy what's on sale. It's just at some point you stretch the analogy so far that people are like, who would go to the grocery store that often? But with electronic trading, actually you can go to the grocery store all the time. It's fine.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, And I bet that working those orders, I bet that means you know, a big difference over time. I could totally see that, and like you said, I mean, when you have an index, everyone knows when you're rebalancing, and it's not you know, you can front run that stuff. All right, let me ask you a question. This is like as controversial as it gets, right when it comes to factors small size. So when I first learned factor investing, it was like small size as a factor. And by a factor, I don't mean like a risk factor, I mean like an alpha factor, like it's going to give you higher risk adjusted returns. And then I feel like over the last decade or two, the evidence of small size being an actual premium has really been hit, and some argue that it was never a premium at all. It was just you're taking tail risk because you're buying small companies and they could go bankrupt and there's more volatility and more left tail risk there, so you should be compensated for higher returns. It's not actually a premium. As you know, small sizes in many you know academic factor models. So where do you come down on this debate? I mean, do you think small size is still a factor or have you kind of reassess that over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think two things. The first is it's always important to continuously reassess the evidence. No one should ever just stick with what was done at some point in the past. Being a statistics nerd myself, for those other listeners out there that are this is called taking a basin approach. It's you have your priors, you get new data, you update you know, you add it to the information, you update your priors. And so that's a big part of what our research team does here is continuously test if these things are still reliable. And then I think the other thing to point out is in the US we have seen a couple decades where small caps have done worse than large caps, which I think is interesting for two reasons. One is that hasn't been the case outside the US, so across all the other non US countries in aggregate, we've actually seen positive size premiums. And then in the US, I think there's two things going on. One is that people tend to use the Russell two thousand as their proxy for how small caps have done. But we talked earlier about some of the performance drag associated with index reconstitution, and so we said that's coming out of the index. So really that small cap index has particularly low returns compared with some other small cap indices. And then the other thing else is you asked me earlier about multiple factors. You always have to control for all the other So size is just a one dimensional concept. Actually, isn't that helpful? Right? It's kind of like if you were a medical researcher and you said, like, did someone eat a healthy diet. Well, I'm a cyclist, and so I actually eat a lot of sugar, but I need that for exercise, and the net effect is it's good for me in some quantity at some time. So you always have to think about multiple explanatory variables. And with small the issue in the US actually has not been most small cap stocks. It's been a very small subset of small cap stocks that have very high valuations and very low or often negative profitability. And so some people like to sort of casually say, you know, there's a lot of junk and small caps, and so I think in small cap investing you have to be very careful that you are controlling for those other factors as well. Once you do that, yeah, there is a premium for small cap stocks, and we tend to see that some of the other premiums are actually a little bit stronger in small cap than in large.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I found that too, of the other factors, and you know, just simply doing a profitability screen on the Russell two thousand goes a long way, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, I mean it's sort of we like to geek out about factors and be quantitative, but just step back common sense. Wise investing is always about what am I paying for something versus what am I expecting to get right, And if you pay a high valuation for something that has little to no profits, that's not generally regarded as a high expected return investment. And so I think it's always important in any area of the market to use that framework, but especially in small caps because there are just a lot of those unprofitable small cap companies in the US.
Speaker 3: All right, let me ask you about kind of the topic of the day, which is AI machine learning. You know, you you mentioned deep seek. That was the you know, big topic of the markets yesterday. Have you found you know, applications of it could be just mL models or even LM, you know, AI models in factor investing or if you know, if not, like, do you think that's a thing we're going to you know, really focus on in the future trying to have machine learning and such help us with the factors. What's your thoughts there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something we've looked into a lot. And the interesting thing you mentioned deep Seek again is they actually started out as a quantitative hedge fund, and that hedge fund ran into some troubles and so they've sort of pivoted over to a generative AI model. And I think it just highlights that it's been very difficult to apply AI to try to whether it's time the market or find new factors. In some ways, you start to worry about what researchers would call data mining, which is you know, we talked about the four hundred factors and the factor zoo. Well, you could probably enumerate hundreds of thousands or millions of combinations of different variables if you were to combine things off of the income statement and the balance sheet, so you would make all sorts of esoteric variables and then you would run them all through a factor model and by chance some would work right. So this is called pa hacking in the statistics community. It's one of those things where you know, even if there's only a five percent chance that something happens by random. If you run one hundred tests, well, then five of them are going to turn up positive, even though they're just by chance. So i'd mentioned Robert nobe Marx. He actually wrote a paper on this topic recently. He not only only created a bunch of AI models to find new factors, he also then employed AI models to write the academic papers for him. And it was done as sort of a way to demonstrate to the industry what can go wrong if you use this approach. So it is something we've looked at a lot so far. The ways that we have experimented with using it is more to gather some of that unstructured data that may be like in company filings so or oftentimes when companies have corporate actions, they're putting out a bunch of text based information. And if you're using different factors, so for example, if you're using a profitability factor a value factor, it's relying on the numbers in the income statement to be interpreted properly. And so let's say that you know the auditor qualifies their opinion about the income statements, Well, do you want to trust the metrics from there? Probably not. So if you had some sort of a model that could scan through and highlight to you areas where there may be concerns or maybe changes. So let's say a company spins off a division. Well, now anything on the balance sheet about you know, assets or book value of equity has changed because they've spun some of that off. So finding ways to flag some of those changes in the data so you can go update your metrics so you're not using stale metrics has been an area where we've experimented with using it.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is great. We just have one more question before we let you go. You know, like to ask this a lot to a lot of our guests. But whatever, you're some of your favorite financial or investing books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I read financial literature all day long at my job, and so when I get a chance to read books, I tend to like books that come from other fields. And I really enjoy history. I think we have a lot to learn from history, and specifically I like biographies, and so one of my favorite authors is Walter Isaacson, and he's written biographies on people like Steve Jobs, Leonardo da Vinci, which you were talking about earlier, Elon Musk, Benjamin Franklin, and others. And one of the things I really like reading about in these biographies is each of these individuals accomplished a lot. They were all great problem solvers, and each of them went through a lot of challenges. They went through big ups and downs along the way. And I think intellectually we all know that success, whether that's in life or in investing, it's not a line that goes straight up into the right right. But there's a difference between knowing that and then actually being able to have the discipline to sort of live through the downs and capture the ups. And so for me, reading biographies really brings to life the lessons from history, so I can learn from them and not have to repeat them myself. It's great, Joel.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed this. Thanks again for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Thank you for having me and Chris.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being my co host again today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thank you Joel.
Speaker 1: Until our next episode, this is David Cohne with the Inside Out.