Speaker 1: I have seen a couple of volcanic corruptions in person, and if you saw it at nighttime, you've just seen these red explosions every ten to fifteen minutes. So what we do in my kind of research expeditions is we go out on large ships out to sea and we go to an area where maybe there's a volcano on the seafloor.
Speaker 2: That's Sam Mitchell, a globe trotting volcanologist who has faced the tallest volcanoes on land and the deepest ones under the Seven Seas. Welcome to Growing Up with Emily, a Lingo kids podcast. It helps kids discover how to be whatever they want to be. Join us on an epic adventure to Ungover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies, and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams. In this episode, and I get a closer look at fire mountains and what being a volcanologist is all about. Louise, we shouldn't run in a natural history museum, but look, Emily, it's a giant skeleton.
Speaker 3: This museum is such a cool place. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you were that much into skeletons and rocks, but hey.
Speaker 3: I need to take a picture of the skeleton. Come on, MAXI.
Speaker 4: Wait, Luise, I think you dropped something.
Speaker 3: No, Maxie, those bones aren't for you dogs on the leash.
Speaker 4: Please you're this, Maxie.
Speaker 3: Come on, okay, don good boy? Now one, two, three, smile. Awesome picture.
Speaker 2: Phew you guys, run fast here, Louise, you drop this rock?
Speaker 3: Oh thanks, Emily. It's a gift from my mom.
Speaker 2: Look at these colors, gray but also black, and I see some green on there too.
Speaker 3: It looks beautiful, yes, and it's kind of spiky too. I've never seen a rock like this, Emily.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a rare fine Louise, let me take a closer look.
Speaker 4: I think this one.
Speaker 3: Is Do you know where it's from?
Speaker 4: Hmm, well it might be from a volcano.
Speaker 3: Volcano. Is that one of those giant mountains that spitfire.
Speaker 2: Yes, basically, it's an opening in the Earth's crust. And there's a room in this museum with a replica.
Speaker 4: Let's go see it.
Speaker 3: Let's go come on there.
Speaker 2: It is the Fuego Volcano, one of the most active volcanoes in the world. It spit ashes one hundred times a day.
Speaker 3: Whoa the volcano goes girl like MAXI.
Speaker 2: Yes, sometimes they tremble and make the earth shake, Luis, why don't you press this button under the fuego replica?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know what if it starts shaking the earth.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's only a replica. It won't make the earth tremble.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: There's many things that volcanoes can teach us about our planets. One it's that we have to be patients with nature.
Speaker 2: Oh who's that? That's Sam Mitchell, an incredible traveler and volcanologist.
Speaker 5: Volcano is their visual They're explosive. You can see the larber, you can see these big columns of ash and seem coming out of them. So I've seen these things with my own eyes, and I think that was the biggest appeal.
Speaker 2: I just love how much Sam loves volcanoes, so, Luis. A volcanologist is someone who tries to understand how and why volcanoes go boom. They also help communities to stay safe from volcanic eruptions.
Speaker 3: So volcanologists are superheroes.
Speaker 2: Yes they are. This volcanologist's name is Sam Mitchell. He has explored the most dangerous volcanoes from all around the world. I'm glad you recorded a video for the museum.
Speaker 5: There's so many wonderful things that volcanoes can give to us, but we also always have to understand their danger, so we always have to appreciate nature and how powerful, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Louise.
Speaker 2: Volcanoes help our planet be a place where we can actually live in. Lots of natural gases that come out of volcanoes help the earth stay warm all year round, no matter the seasons.
Speaker 3: Stay warm. That reminds me, Emily. I et a volcano once.
Speaker 4: You what what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was made of chocolate and it was warm too, and it had a hole with hot chocolate home. Yum, it was so good.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean a chocolate lava cake.
Speaker 4: I love that dessert too. We can have one later, yes, please please.
Speaker 2: Do you know why it's called a chocolate lava cake, Louise?
Speaker 3: Nope? Why because lava.
Speaker 2: Is molten rock that comes out from a volcano, just like hot chocolate. And did you know that when actual lava is still underground, it's called magmag.
Speaker 3: Well, what a cool name.
Speaker 4: It is cool when it's actually very hot.
Speaker 2: I get it, kind of like extremely hot chocolate.
Speaker 3: But Emily, what does chocolate have to do with this rock.
Speaker 2: Hmm, excellent question, Louise. Imagine if your hot chocolate came out of its volcano biscuit, but instead of eating it, you let it just sit there.
Speaker 3: That would be a silly thing to do. But okay, for how long?
Speaker 4: Just start with maybe an hour?
Speaker 3: Ouch? I guess after that my hot chocolate is no longer hot?
Speaker 4: Exactly right? And what do you think will happen if you leave it there for even longer?
Speaker 3: I guess it'll become less gooey and eventually.
Speaker 4: Eventually it becomes hard bingo.
Speaker 3: So my rock could be frozen lava.
Speaker 4: I'm not one hundred percent sure, but it might be.
Speaker 3: Let's ask someone, let's find out.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure we can ask Sam Mitchell himself. Really, yes, because he's our.
Speaker 4: Special guest for today's talking game show.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, Maxie, you can come, but you promise you won't be barking the whole time.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, you can howl.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our growing up talking game show. I'm Emily and this is Luis, your host.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone, I'm Louise and this is Maxy, my assistant for today.
Speaker 2: Please welcome our guest tonight geologist and volcanologist Sam Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Hey, Emily, what's up.
Speaker 2: Sam has traveled across the USA, New Zealand, Japan, and all the way to the Pacific Ocean to study and witness volcanoes of all types.
Speaker 3: Let the game show begin. Thanks. Today we're gonna play riddles. Sam. Your job is to guess the riddle before Maxie howells. That means the time is run out. Sounds good, Okay, sure, awesome. My riddles will be all about volcanoes and fun facts. Here we go. Number one, I'm as large as the world's largest ocean, and my name's a cool country song. What am i?
Speaker 5: Ooh?
Speaker 1: This is really really tricky. Oh, the world's largest ocean. So that's the Pacific Ocean. A cool song. I think that's the Ring of Fire.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the Pacific Ring of Fire. And what exactly is it? Emily.
Speaker 2: It's the longest chain of volcanoes across the Pacific Ocean. Because the volcanoes frequently erupt and fiery explosions, the region is known as the Ring of Fire.
Speaker 3: And what about the song?
Speaker 4: This song?
Speaker 2: Ring of Fire is a popular country song by Johnny Cash.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Emily, that's so cool. Okay, Riddle number two. I'm well known by Taurus today, even though it's been a while. I'm so sorry about Pompeii. Who am I.
Speaker 1: Sorry about Pompeii. That sounds to me like Mount Vesuvius in Naples, Italy.
Speaker 3: Correct. Mount Vesuvius is one of the most famous volcanoes in the world.
Speaker 4: Yes, it had a.
Speaker 2: Very powerful eruption a long time ago, and it buried an ancient Roman city called Pompei.
Speaker 1: Yes, interesting thing about that site. There's also another small town that doesn't get visited as much, called Herculaneum, and that was buried by mud. And that's actually it's smaller, but it's better preserved than Pompeii because of how it was buried.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I'll make a note about it when I go to Italy sometime.
Speaker 1: Bonus fact.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking of bonus facts, I have a bonus riddle to share.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this one's my favorite. Here it goes. You can find me in your house glowing a lot at night. I promise I'm harmless at your desk, even if my name says something else. What am I.
Speaker 1: Something you can have in your house. This is I'm thinking deep about this one, and maybe I don't need to think so difficult.
Speaker 3: The answer is lava lamp.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lava lamps are cool lamps that heat up and make gooey bubbles.
Speaker 4: But they only have wax, not real lava.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, thankfully no real lava inside of those. They demonstrate how magma can move up within the ground and also move down at the same time, so the hots of bits rise and the cool of bits fall down, and you can see that inside lava lamps.
Speaker 3: I didn't know they were like actual magma.
Speaker 1: There we go, Sam, this was fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks for playing, and thanks MAXI for insisting. Now let's talk to Sam about the cool adventures volcanologists get to have.
Speaker 3: Emily, can I, please, please please have the first question after playing the game with Sam, I really want to ask him one thing.
Speaker 4: Sure, Luise, fire away.
Speaker 3: Sam. Have you seen a volcano with lava in person?
Speaker 4: Ooh, that's called a volcanic eruption.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have seen a couple of volcanic eruptions in person. One of them is Estromboli, which is in Italy. Back then, that was a volcano that used to erupt very very frequently.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And if you saw it at nighttime, you just see these red explosions every ten to fifteen minutes. And then I've also seen lava flowes in Hawaii as well during an eruption.
Speaker 2: It must be so beautiful to see in person. And how old were you when you first got into volcano, Sam?
Speaker 1: I was around eleven years old when I started getting interested in these things. With my mom, we'd pick up books, bring them back home, and we sit there and go through these books together. Some of them were more like textbooks, so they were more like scientific Some of them were a bit more adventurous, with lots of pictures and descriptions about places around the world. So I just I started reading.
Speaker 3: I want one of those books. What cool volcano can I read about? Sam? What's your favorite one?
Speaker 1: So I think I would have lots of favorite volcanoes, but I'd say the favorite one that's the most interesting to me is one in Tanzania called Oldoinno Lengai.
Speaker 3: Hold on, Emily, did you get that name again?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Oldoino Lengai. It means mountain of God for the Massai tribes.
Speaker 3: Volcanoes have epic names everywhere. Why is this one so special?
Speaker 1: Because it erupts a very special type of lava, and this lava when it erupts out, it's colder than a lot of lava's around the world, so it doesn't shine red orange. It's actually black, and it's as runny as water, so it's really really interesting. And then when it down it turns into a white rock.
Speaker 3: It's a cookies and cream volcano.
Speaker 2: Ooh, sounds delicious. What other types of volcanoes do you study?
Speaker 1: The volcanoes I study. You're actually in the ocean and on the sea floor. So what we do in my kind of research expeditions is we go out on large ships out to sea and we go to an area where maybe there's a volcano on the sea floor, and we will send scientific equipment down to the sea floor to go and collect samples.
Speaker 2: I never thought that volcanoes could get you to the deepest depths of the ocean. It sounds like you can see Earth like no one has seen it before.
Speaker 1: Yes, the special moment for me was we were going down in this submersible all the way down to the sea floor. It took us about twenty minutes to get there. And we went six hundred meters deep, so over two thousand feet and when we arrived you just see the sea floor through them through the window in the submersible, and you're the very first person who has maybe ever seen that part of the sea floor. So that was incredibly special.
Speaker 3: Wow. Sam, you like the first man on the Moon, but underwater. Ooh, nice one, Louise, Sam, I've been wanting to ask this for so long. Here, I have this rock. It's really nothing special. My mom gave it to me, she brought it from a trip. How can I know if it's a volcanic rock.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's lots of little things. Sometimes you can't always tell. Sometimes rocks can be very good at keeping their secrets. And if you can see these little green round crystals in there, that might mean it's a special type of volcanic rock or basalts.
Speaker 3: I think I see no crystals here.
Speaker 1: Another thing you can look for is lots of holes in your rock. So magma when it's in the ground and is full of bubbles of gas. So if there's lots of little holes, those are where the bubbles of gas used to be trapped. And when the rock cools down, there's bubbles of gas get trapped and they remain as little holes in your rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one's like cheese, but with even more holes.
Speaker 4: Then I think it's safe to.
Speaker 3: Say that this rock is volcanic rock.
Speaker 2: Maxie, thank you so much for helping us out. Sam.
Speaker 4: Louise, what do you think about volcanoes?
Speaker 3: I think they're super important for our planet. They're also beautiful but also dangerous and super duper powerful. And that you can study volcanoes from the depth of the oceans. I'd love to know so much more about them.
Speaker 4: Should we get that lava cake now?
Speaker 3: Yes, just with no ashes and gases. Please.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tagging along on this episode of Growing Up about the exciting adventures of volcanologists, and remember a little listener, dream big, and always stay curious.
Speaker 4: Louise, are you ready for more adventures?
Speaker 3: Wait? There's more?
Speaker 2: Yep, there's loads more to explore on the world's number one kids learning app, Lingo Kids. It has tons of videos, games and podcasts just like this one, and every single one is fun and educational. Download the Lingo Kids app today for free.
Speaker 3: Love