Speaker 1: We were talking the other day and everybody was like, you know, it's kind of crazy that somebody'd say that we were over not success because they didn't see the first ten years of it.
Speaker 2: You know, episode four forty eight co Wetzel. I took a picture from sitting with Co when we were recording this. I don't know, weeks ago, a few weeks ago. Ye, you talk about hardcore fans, they're like, where's the episode? Well, first one, like, hey.
Speaker 3: Why this can be posted too?
Speaker 2: Hey you're gonna post that Co Wetzel to like, you better post a co Wetzel, I want to come and burn your house down.
Speaker 3: Like we were refusing to post. We were holding it hostage.
Speaker 2: No, no, in due time, friends, co Wetzel just released a new song.
Speaker 3: He's releasing a lot of new music this spring.
Speaker 1: He has.
Speaker 2: I was looking at tickets l it was about three hundred thousand tickets so far on this tour. I mean, the guys has blown up in a way of the organic growth guys, if that makes sense, like on the road grinding and then on little something hits and it grows and it grows, and the guy is I won't to say underground because now he's like blowing up. But he's one of those guys that he has a passionate passion at large fan base that maybe mainstream hasn't fully been introduced to yet.
Speaker 3: Would that be a fair statement. Yeah, definitely. That's why everybody was hitting this up so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like his people are hardcore, but now as people are also starting to be normal people because his music is starting to be shared by like the mainstream outlets. Uh yeah, I like co I mean listen in one of those guys where I thought, really, if this turns into a bar fight in my house, I don't have a bar, but it's not gonna look good for me. I think that's what we're ready for if somebody had told us that. I think that's what it was like. Coo Wetzel's coming over.
Speaker 3: Be careful. He got here early. Everything about him was super nice, nicest guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was expecting to like spit on me halfway through the interview before he got to the house.
Speaker 3: But then he was like nice and plied and super thoughtful.
Speaker 2: But here he is, and I hope that doesn't kill like his image, it's polite and thoughtful.
Speaker 3: You can follow my on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Co wetzel Koe underscore don't will you e t z e L. What I didn't ask him is if he owns any of the Pretzel company with those pretzels. Didn't think about that, only thought about that right now. Dang missed that question. Cowetzel music dot com and here we go. Here is Co Wetzel Co.
Speaker 3: Good to meet you.
Speaker 2: Man, it's the first first time we met, right, I would think, so, I think I would remember you get kind of a large presence, come in a room, like it's like big dude.
Speaker 1: People don't expect to hear my voice kind of like what do you mean that? He was just like damn, he's kind of a big dude, Like, didn't expect that coming out of you.
Speaker 2: There's a guy on my radio show who has a massive, deep voice, but he's like dug funny, Like he just doesn't look like he would sound. So people think he's like a large black man until they meet him and it's like a skinny, little white dude. Yeah, so yeah, it's it's good to meet you. Also, like somebody who's like a football player, like you were same, same kind of thing, right, it's like you're seeing it and then it's like, yeah, played played linebacker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, buddy.
Speaker 1: Everybody's they're really confused. They're like, wait, hold on, you played football? He sing It's like it in the voice doesn't matchup with looking at you now. I'm like, well you get what you see? What? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's in high school? Pretty good athlete?
Speaker 1: It was decent scholarship, I guess.
Speaker 3: But that's really good, right they don't pass out scholarships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of friends that walked on places that were really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you're getting a scholarship, like, did you what did you play line high school?
Speaker 1: I played linebacker in high school? Yeah, I started all four years and.
Speaker 3: Uh, the ninth grader you started?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a freshman. Yeah. I played stand up here as a freshman, then moved a linebacker.
Speaker 3: So it's how big was school you went to?
Speaker 1: We were three a's, So I mean I graduated with like one hundred and thirty kids.
Speaker 3: Way bigger than I mean, I'm from a tiny school.
Speaker 1: Where are you from?
Speaker 3: Mountain Pine, Arkansas?
Speaker 2: So I graduate with forty kids and we had we had enough.
Speaker 3: We had a pretty good football team. We were the only school that.
Speaker 2: We were the only school that was a black school in our conference, so we were good, which was even slower. Like I was pretty fast, but then on my team, I was pretty slow. Like all those guys could.
Speaker 3: Fly, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a white guy that could catch, high modeor high energy guy, you know, but I wasn't the guy they would put out to return punts or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, to start, you know, I'm gonna be our running back.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: And if I was, you know, and I played, I guess not so wide, but I played receiver, but it was more like a slot back, you know, don't I don't like going across the medal, but I would because I wasn't fast enough to you know, run goes all game long.
Speaker 3: You have any big injuries in high school?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Just like ankles and like minor knee stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh still hurt you now at all as an adult.
Speaker 1: If the storm's coming, yeah, a little bit. I had surgery on my ankle in college, and I had like some some pans and stuff put in my ankle. Now I can feel when the thunderstorms coming. You know.
Speaker 2: I have broken fingers from playing ball, not just football but other ones. But when when it's my hair curls up and my freaking fingers starting to feel throbbing. Man just killing me. And you know animals can like that's not like it's predictive. They can feel when storms are coming. But so their bodies must have similar things to when our stuff's broken. But yeah, like it starts to like ache and stuff. I heard my We do a sports show. We travel a on the country and we play like we did Kansas State, we did South Carolina football. We did a lot of the SEC Big twelve schools, and we put on paths and play. I'm older, so we don't really get hit, but we run drills, we do all this. But we went and played softball with Oklahoma State and baseball to Oklahoma State, and my heart my ankle and it does not it's just not healing.
Speaker 3: That's probably getting older. I'm not how old you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thirty one.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're old enough now for it to last.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 2: At my point, you played college sports too for a while, so it's even like you're a your physical age is even older than that.
Speaker 3: But nothing heals on me.
Speaker 1: Sam, I spray my knee actually like two days ago. Uh, just drunk whiskey dent or whatever and kind of oh cup, I was like, damn, I got bobby bones going up this week, Like I hope I can walk in here and not have a bracehole.
Speaker 2: But obviously you didn't just sprain it because you were drunk. What were you doing while drunk?
Speaker 1: I mean I was fighting, so yeah, so like it was.
Speaker 3: Sort of a yeah, I mean literally fighting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and my buddies, we get drunk, just fight each other. I guess everything's good the next morning. But it's kind of like at the times, just a lot of test tossed their own and just get drunk.
Speaker 2: When that happens, is it always because someone's disrespecting somebody or there's a feeling of some sort.
Speaker 1: Of there's like a lot of built up energy and a lot of built up ship and then we all get it out and then we throw down and then we hug on each other, level on each other next mornings, Like, man, that was a wild night. You know, we got a black eye or a busted knee, you know, And what's it?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: I don't know, dude, Like I would think just physically a lot wrong with you?
Speaker 2: No, I mean, and I a lot wrong with me too, But to phys Yeah, I have never been punching the face.
Speaker 3: Really, I've r I've run, I've been I take that back. I've been attacked.
Speaker 2: I've been jumped up and crystal whipped, I've been held a gunpoint like that stuff.
Speaker 3: But I've never been punched. And I'm it's not.
Speaker 1: As bad as you think, like in your mind. That's the worst part of like you.
Speaker 2: Know, a third day though, But I feel like if I were in a fight and I've trained to I mean, I boxed, and that hurts when you get I can't imagine without a glove, and I also can't imagine my hand. I sort of think if I'm going to hit somebody, how bad that's gonna hurt my freaking hand, and that's not worth it either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you wake up the next morning and go, damn man, my head hurts. And then I was because of the whiskey. Is because you know what happened. Then you start figuring out you got like little scabs and knees and ankles, and.
Speaker 3: That that life for me. It's gonna be not be for you either for too much longer. I know, I can tell you.
Speaker 1: I think I have probably two really good fights to me left and then that's but maybe.
Speaker 3: I don't have two in me for life that.
Speaker 1: I'm saving up. Like I can do a little, you know, a little sparn or something.
Speaker 2: So are you usually on the bus on the road when when you're getting.
Speaker 1: Drunk towards Uh? Not so much at home? At home, I'm usually pretty pretty even qual.
Speaker 3: You're probably not just bored, no, on the at home.
Speaker 1: Whenever I'm at home, I'm usually resting or you know, doing stuff that's not as intense. But whenever you're on the road and you have a lot of off days and yeah, the guys, you know, we'll go to the bar and it's just kind of week long, just drunk vendors.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm just I'm gonna nod. But I like you telling me because I can't relate. I can't relate.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I come from a family of crazy drug addiction. I would love to do all the drugs I love, drink all the alcohol I've I've never had a drink, and I can't do drugs because I get obsessed with everything that I do. But luckily I've been able to recognize that my mom died. Don't know, my dad, I'm not giving you that story. But what I'm saying is that if I were that, I would be you just wouldn't be as big. So I probably be dead and beat up like crazy because I don't even know what it's like to be drunk.
Speaker 1: Really, that's crazy. Yeah, I've been I've been drinking for a while. Yeah, I need to slow down. I actually did slow down. I did. I did like dry January, but only made it to like the third Yeah, like the twenty first season, dude, like the twenty first and so uh but yeah, those twenty one days, I felt great, really good.
Speaker 2: And my point is, I, you know, so I don't have any sort of I can't relate to that part of it. However, I put my mom and rehab a couple of times, and we had, you know, before she died, and that was always tough. But and I couldn't relate because she would go like, I can't do it, you know, I can't, I can't get it whatever it was, meth whatever, And I wouldn't understand, wouldn't understand. I understood that I wanted to do that stuff but couldn't, but I wouldn't understand the withdrawal part. And then I got kind of dependent on sleeping pills because I had a lot of uh ptistic at jumped at work. And then I understood a bit about Oh, I see why it's hard if you really have a hard problems. It's hard to get off because the withdrawals.
Speaker 3: Are to me.
Speaker 2: And I was just on sleeping pills and it was crazy, like the sweats, I couldn't see straight, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And you'll see where I'm going here.
Speaker 2: And then I would read stories about in the nineties and two thousands of these alternative bands and they'd be doing Heroin like crazy, and I would go like, what why Heroin? And then they'd be like, it's like a hug, It's like a and I'll be like, got it. But then I would go on tour doing stand up or a bit of music, and it was so boring on the road and it's the.
Speaker 3: Only time of everyone, Oh I get it. I'll be doing every drug on.
Speaker 2: The road to get back to the point, just because it's mundane. It's you're trapped in a bus, you're in places you don't know, you're not home.
Speaker 1: I going to see the family, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I finally understood why artists in general would be on the road and have a lot of friends that would just go out and just stay drunk for four or five, six days, and like, oh, I get it, and not a funny way, Like what else is there to do? You just freaking gotta find something to do. Yeah, yeah, and so but you're thirty one and we need to probably yeah, lean out just a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I've slowed down so much, and people they like, you know, co We're so happy. We're so proud of you, you know, because I have in my younger twenties, I'm you know, in and out of jail and stuff. You know, I was, it was crazy, I was, I was out of hand, I was out of control. And every now and then I'll cut loose and still you know, still go back to those days, not as bad. But yeah, I'll slow down a whole lot. You know.
Speaker 3: Are you thankful though that they didn't end up?
Speaker 2: Because there were probably a couple of times, and for me in different ways, I got suit for a million bucks, I got I mean, I've had issues.
Speaker 3: Work career wise.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it goes one percent direction, I wouldn't be here today. And I'm just very grateful for a few of those times. Were there any of those instances where you like, god, dang, I was an idiot and I'm so lucky to get through that because I can't I wouldn't be here if somebody didn't vouch for me.
Speaker 1: Or so there's a couple of times I woke up in jail and didn't know why I was there, and that was the worst part. And then you kind of whenever you're in a you know, a cement room and you're the only one in there and they won't tell you what's going on, you kind of start to reflect a little bit, you know, you didn't know what it was. No, And and the first time I got picked up, it was hell. I was in there for on. This is how bad it was. Also drunk that twenty four hours after they picked me up, they come to do to do all the fingers and stuff and no.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm just going to ye.
Speaker 1: Well, they tried to get all my fingers and I still couldn't remember my social Security number.
Speaker 3: What do you mean fingers?
Speaker 1: They picked like like the and I still couldn't remember my social Security number, and they were like, this is great. So they put me back here for twenty four more hours, and finally the judge showed up and like he's supposed to be there like nine that morning, and he did to show up to like three the next day, and so he shows. He was like, man, it was just a p uh, you know, here's the here's your charge or whatever. And I got out, but uh call him up, pops. Then you know, he was like, you know, the only time I was ever disappointed. And he used if you got picked up or went to jail, you know, and he goes, now you got to kind of look step back and take a look at it. You know, that could have been a whole lot worse. So he could have woke up and you know, you know, killed somebody or you know, drunk driving or day. You know, so maybe sign and grow up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Do you worry though? And this is a that your brand is so much what's up?
Speaker 3: Co I go hard?
Speaker 2: That if you go a little less hard, maybe the people that loved you for going hard because they related to that, won't love you the same amount.
Speaker 1: No, not really. Our fans are die hard, honestly, man. They're super loyal. You know, they get my music they get what I'm I'm writing and playing music for. So I don't think. I mean, there would definitely be a couple of them that were like, oh, no, he doesn't want to drink tonight or some shit.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, but what if you just said I'm sober, I'm not drinking, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think it would be I don't think it would be as bad.
Speaker 3: It would be like coach selling out.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't think.
Speaker 2: So I have a couple of friends, like I said, they are, but you know, they definitely went hard. We're known for going hard, and they kind of stuffed to fake it a little bit because it's part of the entertainment part of their brand, and they've slowly started.
Speaker 3: They also became parents, and they also growing up. Yeah, was growing up.
Speaker 1: You know, like the music that I was making back then, whenever I was going super hard and what I was kind of what I'm kind of known for today is that was it. You know, that music was part of your ass off, you know, go to jell, you know, do all that shit. So brand, Yeah, it's absolutely and now you know, going into the newer music, it's kind of taking a little shift a little turn, and uh, I don't know. I think people are gonna stick with it and enjoy it just as much as they did the old show.
Speaker 3: Just to watch your growth, your organic growth.
Speaker 2: It's really one of those stories that you would like for a lot of other artists to chase, because it's very it is very intant.
Speaker 3: We're talking about the trouble. That's just when people, I think, first.
Speaker 2: Learn about you like that ude is crazy, right, and then they get into who you are and what you're singing about, and they discovered that that next layer, or at least I did, that's kind of how I, you know, I learned about you. But the way that you did it very organically is what you would like a lot of artists to do. However, it probably looks a little more glamorous once you have the success and at the beginning stages when you when people are like, I don't know if that's like like you had to kind of kick.
Speaker 3: A hole in the wall to get let in the room.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that's fun to say now because you hear you got billions of streams.
Speaker 3: But that craft's tough at first, right.
Speaker 1: It is man especially we uh you know, in tech coming up in Texas. It was all we knew was, you know, you get on the road, you beat the road up, you play shows everywhere, and that's how you gain fans. You know, Internet was still i mean kind of in that Twitter Instagram stage to where people were posting, but it wasn't You weren't gaining all your fans off of you know, TikTok and stuff more like today, and so it was just beat the road up. You know, every time you go back, there'd be a couple more fans, a couple more fans. And then it kind of got to where we had a big enough following that whenever we drop noise complaint that people were just like, holy shit, you know, they're not a cover band anymore, they're making real music.
Speaker 2: So I was looking at some of the data for like the Road to Hell Passive Tour, and it was like almost three hundred thousand tickets. That's when you can sell any sort of hard ticket at first, right, you're not going to just a club and it's like, you know, this place holds five hundred, we'll see what show. But if you're selling hard tickets and you have a history with hard tickets, like that's success. Now more than anything else is being able to go out and sell hard tickets because your guarantees are higher. Life gets a little easier because then you get a nicer bus, like you get to let a little nicer. When did that happen for you? Where you knew people were going to be at a show if you put.
Speaker 1: It on, Uh, probably around Harold So High. We put out Harold So High, so the album after Noise Complaint, so eighteen nineteen, maybe right before COVID hit. It was kind of what we were kind of hitting that, you know, like you said, everywhere we went, it's pretty much selled out damn near anywhere in the US. I mean we were playing huge places, what you know, twenty five hundred and three thousand cap and we were selling out everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was. It was huge, and then COVID hits and we're out out from playing for two years.
Speaker 2: Because I'll say it one more time, it's not like you had a massive record company pushing your song to radio and then we're played all over the country and all this, like you organically, it was all us.
Speaker 1: It was all us. Yeah, And that was just us going around and playing venues all over all over the country, you know, so.
Speaker 2: You get lost at times and where you were? No, not really not saying the wrong city because whatever, but like three four shows?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about literally where you were? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like goy where where?
Speaker 2: Like you'd have to ask somebody or you have to look down, like can you.
Speaker 1: Just show up at a show? Like you come out of the bush, like where the hell are type ship?
Speaker 2: Did you do the or do you have the thing happened to you? Where your friends go? Because this is what happened to me some man. You go everywhere. It's so cool to see all these places. And I'm like, I see the back doors of theaters like I sleep and then I get up, I see the back door of the theater. I might go back to sleep in the hotel room. And that's it. It's not like I'm in Boston checking out the Sam Adams factory. It's hard to be a tourist when you're working.
Speaker 1: And and as as the tour goes on, you get more war out, you get more tired, so the days would come shorter. You know, you're you're up till you know you don't get off stage till.
Speaker 3: Fighting all night.
Speaker 1: Yeah up, I mean, well, hell, you played till you played till midnight. You know, you get done on midnight. Now you cool down for another hour, so it's one o'clock, you go out, you drink till two with barclos, and then you know, like you said, you fighting and doing whatever till three or four in the morning, not going to sleep till five, and then you're waking up around lunch, sound check, probably going back, taking another nap, waking up, going to dinner and meet and greet show, and then all over again.
Speaker 2: The pre show is actually hours long because again you have a sound check, probably a meet and greet you got and then.
Speaker 3: It's not like there's a gap big enough to do anything.
Speaker 2: If there is a gap, it's like forty minutes and you can't really go and do anything in forty minutes and come back. So yeah, it's a grind, especially looking at how you travel and tour and people could look at you now be like man Co's got it made like he's killing.
Speaker 1: It, but they don't see the backside of it.
Speaker 3: They didn't see on the early part of it. It was just a constant, constant grind.
Speaker 1: But we were talking the other day, and everybody was like, you know, it's kind of crazy that somebody'd say that we were overnight success because they didn't see the first ten years of it, you know. And you know, we started in twenty eleven, twenty twelve playing college parties and you know, whatever we could for free beer, you know, and so you know nobody saw that.
Speaker 4: Come up, Hang tight, the Bobby Cast will be right back. Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: What's Pittsburgh, Texas?
Speaker 1: Like? Very small, very small town. Vibe East Texas, Vibe Country Hill.
Speaker 2: What's well, we would go to town, which meant we went to Hot Springs with city. I think Pittsburgh has like Walmarts and stuffough, right doesn't it?
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't have Walmart. Now what's town then?
Speaker 1: For you?
Speaker 3: If you guys were gonna go to town, I.
Speaker 1: Mean Pittsburgh had I mean it has like a Brookshire Brothers. It has like a grocer store and stuff. But if we were to go to like a city that would be Texta Kana or long viewer Toller.
Speaker 2: So where would concerts come that that were ones that would be national acts?
Speaker 1: Probably like Longview Tyler, Texta Kana.
Speaker 3: How was textakana from.
Speaker 1: You ply forty five minutes an? How?
Speaker 3: Oh that's not bad. I always hated the arc Latex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like, yeah, it's all right, so compact and you're crossing state lines like crazy on in that area. Yeah, we're like you're an arch. Me tell you, I studied the fifty States arc le Texas.
Speaker 1: But people around there don't say that.
Speaker 2: So I will though, because I'm from Arkansas. If I can't from a different place over, why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So growing up? What was Are your parents still alive right now?
Speaker 1: They are?
Speaker 3: Okay? Are they still together? Are you close to them? Okay?
Speaker 2: But what was home like with your parents? And were they musical? I know you have a bit of a bull. Tell everybody that doesn't know you what that's about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so growing up, I mean they were they were young, young parents. They had me. I think they got married in nineteen and had me at twenty, So I mean they were young parents, and you know, I mean there was always a fight going on whatever.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I couldn't imagine raising the kid that young. But I had a great, great childhood coming up. My mom she was a bank teller and uh an account for the school, and she would go around to uh old opry houses and play music. So I was always around music on.
Speaker 3: That side saying she.
Speaker 1: Was just saying. And then on my dad's side, you know, they were all Southern Baptists and stuff, so study church, you know, go sing in the choir and all stuff like that. But yeah, I just grew up, Like I said, going back to my mom's side, I grew up in old opry houses. And I don't even know if they have opery houses anymore, like.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen them.
Speaker 1: But even back in the nineties, it was like old pet like old folks that came to and I was that little shithead kid that was just like running up and down the house because I go with my mom and like nobody would look after me. So I was still in popcorn from old people and shit. And my mom be up there saying tame, why that you know and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So did you think it was cool that your mama singing.
Speaker 1: I love the sound of a live band because I always practice like tapes and stuff and always listen to her, So whenever I got to hear her with a live band, I love the sound of the drums and uh and the old telecaster. Dude, it was blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Do you think that your interest in music a bit was to pursue a connection with your mom? She did it and even if you even if you can't go, yeah for sure. But when you think about it, do you think.
Speaker 1: A little bit, Yeah, because I think she kind of lives vocation through me now, you know, a little bit, because she loves she loves coming to the shows. She loves everything about it. You know, she's fully invested. So whenever she gets to come, it's always great. She's she's more of the star of the show than I give he a.
Speaker 3: Let her up on stage.
Speaker 1: She ever sing with you, so we haven't yet. She wants to cut a song with me, and I need to do it.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah we should do that, But dude, that would be that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: That's the cool because you are so you just do not care. It's an awesome thing about you. You just do not care. And then doing something with me mom is like so the opposite of what you are. That also shows you just don't care what any it thinks and like you just love what you love. Made the right song man, You let me know when you do that, I don't even care what it is, as long as it's not like here we are mom and son banging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything like that. Yeah, let me know.
Speaker 2: I'll play it like, because I can't imagine your mom is gonna be on something that's like crazy hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah no it's yeah, it'll be. I don't know what it'll be. She wants to, so maybe we'll make it happen.
Speaker 2: I am I vote yet one hundred times, because who else who has done that?
Speaker 3: Mike? Can you think of anybody that sang a song with their mom. Nothing comes to mind that they.
Speaker 2: Weren't putting their mom on a record because their mom is Fanny.
Speaker 1: Don't even think. I mean we've been on stage together, but I don't think we've actually I don't think.
Speaker 2: Mom angle works so good with you, because again, you're not the guy that people associate being a mom, and so it's almost even more of what you stand for, like you do not care, You're just gonna do you period. I don't even know what song is, but it's a hit. It's number one song. I'm declaring it.
Speaker 3: That's cool. Yeah, tell you tell your mom?
Speaker 1: I said what I call her after this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she still lives the same.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, she lives in Pittsburgh, same house, same house. Uh that same house. We moved. They built a house. Whenever I was like.
Speaker 2: Twelve, whenever you really sell out, I felt like it was obviously the name of record, but it's also kind of a message to folks for Metallica. And I don't know, I was not really a Metallica fan. It was a little before me, but I remember people said Metallica, you're sellout and they're like, yeah, we sell out every freaking show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And so I got a bit of that vibe whenever.
Speaker 2: I saw that's what it was, because you're still doing things exactly like you were doing them. It's just now, hey, let's use the people's money a little bit because they believe that the you know, like, I got it, But do you feel like some of your people didn't?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a lot of them actually, But for the people who didn't get it, we gained a lot more people who did get it. Yeah, So I mean it kind of even everything out, and uh, it just it took from it took us from us being kind of those those road bandits that didn't give a shit to actually caring a lot more and realizing that, man, this is on a bigger skill than just Texas bars and places that we've been playing.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't like it was affecting your art anything. It was helping your heart.
Speaker 2: Because you weren't You didn't have to spend as much time just straight struggle, and you had good advice to do because if they hadn't believed it, they didn't believe in what you were doing to begin with, they wouldn't have put any money into Yeah, it wasn't like they're putting a boy band together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and I think whenever we you know, with the skits and everything, it was kind of a it was a very ballsy move on my end, and I didn't I didn't really know how to go about it. So I just thought it was like, hey, uh, y'all, don't take this wrong way, but here's the skits and stuff, like, oh.
Speaker 3: We love it.
Speaker 1: You know they know who they signed, yeah, exactly. And and and that's the reason I signed with Columbia is because, you know, I talked to a lot of other labels and stuff, and Columbia were like, hey, we know what you're doing. We don't want to change anything. We want you to be you was like awesome, so and they and they did. They let us do whatever we wanted to do this day.
Speaker 3: How often are you here in town Nashville.
Speaker 1: Uh, we're probably ten times a year, maybe just in and out.
Speaker 2: And so when you do come, it's actually for a reason, like you're coming to meet yeah, or age or just something that the business related a part of it.
Speaker 3: How do you? How do you like this town?
Speaker 1: I love Nashville.
Speaker 3: Good for to do it for you. I think if you lived here, you wouldn't And.
Speaker 1: That's like, but but Nashville's becoming like a Vegueas for me, it's like a three nights more than three nights. I don't think I can do it.
Speaker 2: Same for me and I live here three nights, I'm like, I'm over hate it. They're great, they're great humans here. It's the I was talking to h uh, don't hold on Cole Cody, Cody. Cody and I just met a minute ago. That's working to Cody because Cody's like Florida moving around and we were talking about Nashville and I was like, man, I can see why people that make it leave because they have the resources to go and say like I'm not going to stay here, but it's amazing. The people are amazing. But sometimes the industry, if you live in it gets to be a bit toxic and like un unhealthily competitive. But you're not competitive with anybody else, just yourself. Yeah, and it starts to like eat at you and it's stupid and I hate it ninety.
Speaker 3: Of the time, except for like the people I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's good to like, like, you know, I live in Texas still and you know, I'm always going to be that Texas country kid, you know, and uh, but it's always good to come back to Nashville and see people that you haven't seen in you know, three or four months, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's probably like an in law, like good to see you again. Bye, Yeah, we go.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much how it is here. It's like, hey, man, how you've been. You know? All the type of drinks all right, man, we'll see it.
Speaker 3: You don't got to fight them, just a couple of drinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I find where are you living, like upset the small town if it's a small town, but I'm assuming it's.
Speaker 1: Not so a group of Pittsburgh. I live in Weatherford. It's just like forty five minutes west of for Worth.
Speaker 3: They proud of you in Weatherford, they know you live there.
Speaker 1: They kind of yeah, Walmart after five can get a little crazy, but uh, that's that's why I like door Dash or whatever. That's good little grocery shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good because but you look like you. Yeah, it's kind of hard to hide.
Speaker 3: I know who you are. If they know who you.
Speaker 1: Are, it's crazy. Just ran on mask. Dudes will come up be like, man, I get totally look like you all the time. I'm like, god, damn, I hope not.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: People will say, hey, do you know you look like my cousin and they'll show me a picture of their cousin.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 2: I like, well, if I do look like them, I'm judging myself completely wrong. Like I don't think I'm a beauty queen. And I'm like, if you think I look or they'll type it on Instagram, Hey look I'm here with this guy looks just like Bobby.
Speaker 3: I'm like, he's seventy man. He said, yeah, so like I felt.
Speaker 2: But you couldn't even hide in a mask really, you know, were a lot of artists here could put on a mask d on COVID if they did, like you couldn't get into place on a mask with your hair and like, yeah tattoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah in text is a yeah, it's fun. I love it though, you know, like I don't mind taking pictures and stuff, so that's cool. No, yeah, that's joy.
Speaker 3: I agree, it's part of it.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely part of it, and it's awesome. The only role that I would have that I tell people and not for me, because I'm grateful. I'm not that talented, so I feel like I've used a lot of Tanazi to get this point, and so I'm I'm never gonna be the person to say nah. But if people are with their kids or if people are with food in front of them eating, those are the two places. Like if somebody's eating you want a picture, just wait till they finish eating. But don't go up when someone's at dinner. And I tell people all the time, if you see your favorite celebrity, they know they're a celebrity, they know they're in public. But if they're eating, wait till it's over, then you can do. So beating's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was we were in Corpus Christy not too long ago. I guess towards the end of the tour and a bunch of these high high school kids came up and a couple of me know, I didn't mine, and then they kept coming and kept coming, and then tours that I was like, hey, listen, guys, let me just finish dinner and then I'll meet you out outside. We walked outside and there's probably one hundred of them out there. I was like, all right, just one big group, pick and we get it. I got to meet. But it all works out.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it went sell out, comes out, and Columbia knew what they were signing. That's why they wanted you. It wasn't like they were going to sign you then change you. And so you had mentioned how they just let you be you. What about your peers and music that are still either Texas Oklahoma in that scene when not your fans, but your peers, maybe not even your friends, did any of them voice to you that they were Manko, that sucks that you really let us down.
Speaker 1: No, not really, man, everybody's always been super supportive, especially in the music saying Man that music saying Texas music saying is so it's such a tight knit family pretty much. So if anybody makes it out, it's more or less they're they're you know, cheering, sharing you on to go because the more that we get out and you know, it's just helping the Texas Texas music community out more, you know, sharing, you know what we're putting out from Texas.
Speaker 2: So who are your Texas ogs that you would see as a kid and us living in Texas forever too?
Speaker 3: For us, it's like Rogers, Pat Green og Og.
Speaker 1: Randy Rodgers, Wade Bowen, Whiskey Myrs. They're they're East Texas boys. So I grew up watching them in high school. You know, Stony LaRue guys like that, A bunch of the red dirt guys in Oklahoma. So it's kind of I mean, honestly it was. It was red dirt and Texas music all the way through.
Speaker 3: Man, So you listen to Turnpike at all growing up?
Speaker 1: I did? I love Turnpike. Yeah, A lot of a lot of those bands like the Damn Quills, Steven Birds, probably bands that you that you're not more familiar with. But the smaller bands didn't really hit it as big, but have just phenomenal music.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the difference then in them and you and nobody specifically, but like, what's the difference in these?
Speaker 1: I just think there was I think there was a wave. There was certain waves that came through Tim. Yeah, just like whenever you had Randy and Wade and you had you know, Pat Green and Jack Ingram. You know, those are those two different waves, you know, me and Parker and that wave that came through, and then after that Giovanni and all those guys. So I think it was just they got caught in the middle of that way maybe, and it just didn't get as much love as you should have. You and Parker cool, Yeah, for sure. Man.
Speaker 3: I did not want to like that dude. Really.
Speaker 2: I wanted to not like I wanted it like because I and obviously knew his music. He was like, he's good looking, he's tall, abs got a gold chain, Like it's the flat brick.
Speaker 3: I wanted to not like the dude sweetish, shoot gat awesome.
Speaker 2: And the first time I met him and I told him, and he was also like so kind and polite, and he was like, I used to listen to your show. It's just like I'm nervous as an honor and I'm like dude, you just run everything. I wanted to have it hold against you, and so I didn't know if you guys, if you got the FO because it's we talk.
Speaker 1: We talk pretty much every day. Man, He's uh, it's really cool because it was it was fun to have somebody on the come up that was doing the same thing, you know, like because it's I mean, being on the road and do what we do is really hard to have somebody to talk to and be able to share that with.
Speaker 2: So it's good to have somebody like that and that experience that you guys have being Texas artists that have now achieved a level of success that have boosted you from just that title because now, I mean, but even Texas artists are known outside of Texas. But just for the sake of that title, there's not a lot of people that you could talk with about mainstream accepting you because you weren't begging for mainstream to accept you, but mainstream going, hey, we like you enough, come on over here a little bit like Parker's like the guy now in this generation you could tell Eli, Yeah, you know, those guys could do it, but they're ten years ago. Pat Green, that's twenty but it's cool to have somebody like Parker. I would imagine you're kind of going through it at the same time.
Speaker 1: And I mean the times are different too, Like it's not like it used to be when you talk about Pat Green, Like I feel like back then it was more or less you had to come to Nashville to get to get a label and all that stuff, you know. And nowadays the way music is was streaming, streaming and everything, it's a lot more you know, accepted, and I mean it's just it's easier to find music and people like these days.
Speaker 2: We were still living in Austin and I remember Wave on Wave was a big hit and it turned it was the mainstream hit and you could feel the centiment like that's gonna meant yeah, but then it kind of went away after it was just successful for a while. People don't they're too lazy to be hateful for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, People, they can't help grudges that that down all, especially with past music. Man, Like it's just timeless for especially people from Texas, you know. I mean, people are never going to forget about.
Speaker 3: He's one of the Texas great Yeah, he's like the governor of Texas music. You spent time with him.
Speaker 1: I do. We we got to do a couple of hunts this year together, and uh, I mean the we got we got pretty pretty deep into music and he's got some new stuff coming out and I got some new new music coming out. So uh, we got to you know, share share some music and thoughts and laughed and cried and everything else. It was cool because you know, I told him, you know, he's one of my heroes in the in the Texas Saint.
Speaker 3: I'm about to ask you who your heroes were.
Speaker 1: It's it was, and you know it, and him being like, you know, it's It's really cool because I see a lot of myself and you and and I was at where you were at at one point, and it's just really cool to see you know where you're at, what you're doing with the music.
Speaker 2: So are you having fun or are you more anxious, like wondering how it's gonna turn out? I don't know what you are, because it seems like that, but that can be hidden pretty well.
Speaker 1: I'm having a great song man. I'm I have more fun whenever whenever the tour starts, whenever I get back on the road. I've been off the road for like three or four months now, and I'm trying to buy my hair off. Dude, I don't know what's going on. I'm head coach almost like like cabin fever almost.
Speaker 2: Head football coaches will have whole back guys, you know the So let's say you're on the road and you're going to look, who's your whole back guy that you would you would actually listen to if they're like you are. You're always out of control, but you're a little too out of control right now.
Speaker 1: Man, My boy Dre is always that guy. But it's kind of bad because most of the time he's almost on my level, so he's he's like holding me back, but he's also kind of like I want to see how this turns out type.
Speaker 3: But if he steps in and goes you got to chill. Do you listen?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Not really, I don't. I don't. I don't at all.
Speaker 3: Actually, you don't have an appointed hold back guy by somebody else?
Speaker 1: I don't. I do. I actually have a couple of them, But like he said, I just don't. I don't listen.
Speaker 3: If you don't want to listen, you're not gonna listen.
Speaker 1: That's the deal. Once I get to that level. It's kind of like, Okay, I got that look in my eye and everybody kind of knows not to. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you're also like, I wouldn't fight. I wouldn't want to fight here, man, because you talk about fighting because she's a bit. He's a big, strong guy that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you get people challenging you just because.
Speaker 1: No. Usually, I mean, I don't know, it's not I mean, we don't go out looking for fights.
Speaker 2: But guys, I know that would be like MMA fighters. I won't even say people like challenge them because they'd.
Speaker 1: Be like, oh that's hell. That's so.
Speaker 2: I feel like people be like, oh, co what so playing football, big star. It doesn't happen at all.
Speaker 1: No, not really. It's it's always pretty much love man. And And like I said, man, we don't. I haven't. I can't remember the last time I got to an actual fight with uh, with somebody that wasn't yeah, somebody that I just was, some random person. I mean, it's usually I can't remember. It was a while back. We'll say that it was.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not gonna mention any names, but I have a friend, a very big country music star got in a fight bar with somebody didn't know, beat the crap out of the dude, and it was do everything possible to make sure it doesn't get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was all layers.
Speaker 2: We we have those two because what he beat the crap out of the dude, and you got to shut that crap down quick because all of a sudden, there we get a little money.
Speaker 1: Well, well it'll go back to that with us as well, though, like people kind of expect that out of us, and so it's kind of, oh, well, co got who gives a ship?
Speaker 2: That's true until someone, Yeah, until something, someone wants some money or the Like my insurance, my car insurance is higher because I'm.
Speaker 3: A public profile because people will be like, oh that's that dude.
Speaker 2: Oh my net Curt's a little more because they know they could probably get a little more money out of somebody.
Speaker 3: It's a weird reason to have high insurance. Uh, it's a good reason. I'm happy. Yeah, for sure, I wouldn't trade it.
Speaker 2: But you know, being a it's like I've watched kind of have I don't even know what fame is anymore because it's so fractured, it's so splintered.
Speaker 3: But I've watched to kind of get famous.
Speaker 2: Has your life changed at all because of the success that you've had.
Speaker 3: Have you had to alter, like you say, Walmart after dark? Do you make any decisions based on that?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I'll do. And we kind of all do as far as you know, going out to eat before shows and things like that, you know.
Speaker 3: Especially most of the venue. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's the word.
Speaker 3: That's the word.
Speaker 1: And well you know it will be in a sprinter van that be beating on the windows, but uh, yeah, I have. And it's just a little minor ways though. And my mom gets upset every time I come back home. She always wants me to take her out to dinner. I don't know if it's because she wants me to wants to show me off or whatever, but it's usually I'm so tired and I just kind of want to be with the family and hang out, watch movies and stuff, and she's like, you're not gonna take me out to dinner. I'm like, well, if we go out, it's gonna be an ordeal. And but she gets you know, so it's it's cool. Why do you think people relate to the lyrics so much because they're real and they're roll. It's something that I think it's it's stuff that other people are not afraid to say. It was just kind of I don't know, Maybe I would rather not say for fear of what it would do to their career.
Speaker 4: Maybe the Bobby Cast will be right back.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: This is the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that your lyrics are so raw and real?
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna talk out this question after I say it to you that sometimes you don't even relate to it anymore because in a different part of your life, your raw and real lyrics were true to you then. But you've gotten older a bit, You've learned things where you can listen back to be like, man, that's so raw and real, but I don't even relate to that anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, it's kind of like the February twenty eighth of stuff, and that's became just blown out of proportion, you know, stuff like that. But I mean, I wrote that song whenever I was twenty two to twenty three years old, and now that I'm thirty one, looking back at it, it's like every night it's like, damn, we gonna.
Speaker 3: Sing the song.
Speaker 1: But people come to the show for that song. You know, a lot of people come just to hear that song. So, but songs like that, you know, it's Yeah, I've grown up a little bit and I've gotten a little bit wiser, i'd say, And the songs that uh I wrote in college and how I was living my life back then are completely different than how I'm living my life now. So yeah, absolutely, like it's i know.
Speaker 3: Still raw and real and true to who that was. Absolutely be a little weird to sing stuff that you don't feel anymore. It is your new record, though what is it? When? Tell me about that?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: What's what's that? And how has that changed?
Speaker 1: It's getting into more relationship like more raw and real about relationships and and uh, just life as you know, pretty much from what I just said, from growing up and in the scene and doing that kind of stuff and and uh making that type of music to now what I'm making, you know, and how my life has changed from that.
Speaker 2: Any of these songs where they borderline, I don't know if I want to share that much. I don't know if I want to. I don't know if I feel like saying it right now. Is there any of that where it's not? You listen you're gonna say it if you feel it, but maybe you're like, maybe the time isn't right now to.
Speaker 1: Go back on all a little bit of it. There was a couple of lines and songs that we had wrote and it was like, we really want to go there, and then we would record them, and then we would come back to them and be like, let's do them for a couple of days, like maybe not, Let's let's hold off on it and just see how everybody takes his kind of newer sound that And.
Speaker 3: I think that makes you know less raw and real.
Speaker 2: But if there are other things that are so important to the record and that could distract from the things that you feel are the most important, absolutely understand going, maybe it's the time to, you know, admit I love the pound puppies and have a fetish, you know, because that would be what people would attach to and not the message of the real message of a lot of the body of work. And that's even pretty mature to say that as an answer a question, because a lot of people go like, oh, man, we give it to you straight, but you did give it straight. But there's sometimes that you want the to me straight.
Speaker 1: But now you're Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Wow, what's the what's the weirdest thing about having money?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, I don't know. Amazon probably just get whatever you want. Yeah, pretty much. I don't know. I don't know people will. I think people were, I don't know. It's weird. That's a that's a good question as that before. I paid my phone bill last last week, so I mean I don't have a ship ton of money, so I still got enough to live on.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not gonna play that game because I'm not saying you're Bill Gates.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, success now feels to me.
Speaker 2: It's at a level that you haven't had yet, your your experience, and I went, I was a trailer park kid, right, So when I started to make money is what I didn't have anybody I could talk to about money. And then once I started making a lot of money, I didn't have any talked to about money on this level. And then I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing with it. So there were times where I was like, I don't know what to do, and it's a weird. Nobody feel sorry for you.
Speaker 1: Oh you got money now, it's could to be able to take care of like you no family members and stuff like that. You know. Like I was talking last night with a public system. We were kind of just going over just older things and getting ready for the new record and release and stuff, and we got talking about the house that I grew up in and there's a picture for it, and she was like, is that really is? Like yeah, and I grew up that there was one hundred and ten acres. My grandparents were about to had a lot of back taxes on the bank was about to take it. So I'm being able to come in and buy the family of land that's been in our name for over one hundred years. That really cool, you know. So yeah, I mean being able to do stuff like that is really awesome.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: If if anybody needs something, it's good to be able to, you know, holler at the account and be like yo, yeah.
Speaker 2: When people will ask me a similar question, we're like, what's the first thing you did? I bought my mama trailer and a few acres of land. We didn't have that, and I wanted to like remove that that fear of her losing it constantly. And for you to be able to do that at home, like that's like thing it was like it almost doesn't matter what else happens that and things could be having you get ten planes, but still like that that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, relatively every.
Speaker 1: Day it makes you feel better than damn the or anything else. You know that that you're able to do that you're financially able to do that, and that people actually give a shit and and enough in your music and stuff for you know, that's how you got that money. You know.
Speaker 2: Do you ever feel a bit of imposter syndrome where you're like, I'm really not as good sometimes as people are, like like you're selling out rudes, I.
Speaker 1: Think all the time, Like yeah, I'm a I'm like I'm so hard on myself about everything.
Speaker 3: Like like what specifically are you hard on yourself about? The people wouldn't even.
Speaker 1: Well just a songwrite like songwriting vocally everything, Like I'm a I'm a hard ass on myself. Like, but I grew up like that. My dad was the same way. He was usually hard on me, and nowadays, whenever you know, we talk, he's like I was the way I was, So you wouldn't you know have the life that I have?
Speaker 3: You know, I mean boy names suit type almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, legit and uh and you know, I thank him for that. I'm proud that he did that. That's how already. If I have a son or daughter, I'm gonna raise them, you know, I'm gonna love them, and you know, and and do everything i can for him. But at the same time saw him that. You know, you know, you gotta keep gotta keep going. It's not all roses.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: I like you really, Yeah, damn you don't like nobody.
Speaker 2: I mostly am indifferent. Yeah, there are people I just don't lend their people out. And I thought, I don't know, if I like Coe, like he'll probably be a dude. I would probably like him.
Speaker 3: He's fine. And I didn't think I would dislike you.
Speaker 2: But I didn't expect to like you because people would have. They would be like, oh, hey, coch it's some people on my calendar. Be like, oh, coach, come over to the house, be like, yeah, do you know them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But that's the bad part, Like nobody really knows knows a lot about me. Everything that they know is through social media or the Internet or stories that they've heard, and uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I like, like, I can just like look at you.
Speaker 2: Aside from all the performance stuff and even when you're talking about buying that land, like you can actually like feel like what matters, like at the core, what matters? You ever write a song and cry because of what you what you wrote?
Speaker 1: No. I got a music video back the other day though, for a new song, and it made me cry.
Speaker 2: It was it was crazy what triggered you? Like what you don't have to say anything you don't want to, but like what about it is what made it?
Speaker 1: We shot the music video back in my hometown. It was just like shots of you know, pictures growing up and uh, my buddy's headstone and video you know, I always go every time back home. I go and I sit there. I drank a beer with poor beer out for him and I sit there and it was a shot of that and something clicked and I was like, oh, I started kind of My buddy were sitting there watching TV and he was like, what the fuck's wrong? And I was like, oh, bad, dude, I don't know. This truly got me and and I sent it to my folks and they were like it kind of pulls on the harsh trains the little be you know. And but I don't think I've ever wrote a song and cried. She was drunkenly cried and just don't remember it.
Speaker 3: How many phones do you have?
Speaker 1: Phones?
Speaker 3: Phones?
Speaker 1: We got one phone? Okay, wow, is that what you're asking about the phone bill?
Speaker 3: I'm just asking a question though. I just asked a question to see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got one phone.
Speaker 3: I was asking a question. That's what your name? Cod is? Like your third name? Huh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got three names.
Speaker 3: I forget what it was, but.
Speaker 1: It's like I was nameless for three days. Dude, I didn't have a name for three days.
Speaker 3: Go ahead because they couldn't decide or they couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they said my mom was like super indecisive. My dad the same way. I'm the like the most indecisive person in the world. And so my dad always wanted to call me roper Co. And then whenever they had me, they were like, well, we're just naming roper Madison because Madison is my granddad's bettle name. And then I don't know what the hell happened. They just I think they sent me home with this boy on the certificate and then I got there were like my grandma finally chied. She was like, well, so and so down the roads got three names. You know why I have three names? And so that's the roper Madison.
Speaker 3: Cots, Madison Cots.
Speaker 1: I always went by co though growing up, always went my co.
Speaker 3: So you were never roper.
Speaker 1: No. My teachers who caught me roper for like the first two days of school until they figured out yeah, and then it was like, why all the kids are calling them?
Speaker 2: Even the spelling of roper, it's not r O P E R Like they went full y Yeah, why was there a roper with?
Speaker 1: Why they the early nineties? Dude, I don't know what they were on back? Damn?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did you ever do construction with your dad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What could you do now that?
Speaker 2: What's maybe surprise folks that don't know about you already? Meaning and I'll give you, I'll give you a second to think about it. I went on and did running while with better Girls on a couple of shows, and we went to Norway and I can I can skin a deer and I can I can gut whatever because I did that, But nobody knows me. Is that because I don't do it anymore? But it was like we found this rotted goat and some of it was out of the water rest was frozen, so it's preserved just fine, and we're gonna eat it. And it was like, now we got to clean the ad no more and what And I am awkward and you know, I don't know too my hands.
Speaker 3: I'm like just but I was like, oh yeah, no, but take it down. And he's like, wait, what is hat?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, I did this, I'm good here. What what is that for you?
Speaker 1: Just like some random ass ship?
Speaker 3: Like sure, like if you did construction, you had to learn uh cement?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Like I mean I can, I could tie steel, poor concrete?
Speaker 3: Could you still kind of carve?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely? Yeah, tie everything? Uh So I still have a construction company and love it.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you have it at yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Me and my buddy own a construction company and lovely Texas. My pops was Yellow Bush Construction, and my dad he was kind of going back and forth from construction jobs. He's been and concrete business for like twenty years and uh he was just kind of getting upset with it and tired of it. And so my buddy was like, man, why don't we I already have this company kind of going why don't you come in with me, and uh, you know, your dad can come up here and run it. And so he goes back and forth from Pittsburgh to Lubbock and runs it for me. And it's kind of my gift to him, Like, you know, man, you've done all this for for me growing up. Won't you stop for you to relax and just you know, watch over it and there you go again, like being a good dude, dude like I like to I like to please people.
Speaker 2: People get caught up and like the pictures and like you're good, You're gonna slow down a little bit, and you have emotions, not just one gear.
Speaker 4: No, let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor. Welcome back to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: Gabe Simon. He told me whenever we were starting the record, I was like, I'm not a very emotional dude. And then after like the first or second, right, he was like, you're the most emotional dude I've ever met.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, and I think probably in creating your art, I can definitely hear emotion. I can feel emotion just from what you're singing about, right, But it's like, as a human, anything that I've consumed that you've done social media anything, which is why people are like, I don't know about that, dude. It's not like you're pouring your heart out talking just doing a selfie video, you know about how tough.
Speaker 3: The morning's been. Yeah, it's just soap opera. You know. He did in a way you didn't like. So, you know, that's again I didn't expect to like you.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in aliens?
Speaker 1: Fuck? Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: What what version?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, there could be aliens from another planet, there could be different frequencies.
Speaker 1: That we I've watched all the Men in Black, so I don't know, like all the those are.
Speaker 3: Like the little Green Men. Yeah. Yeah, you ever see and you ever see anything you can't explain.
Speaker 1: I've seen. I've seen ghosts before. I've seen uh, I've seen the Death Angel before. That was really weird.
Speaker 3: I'd like to hear more about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, my my uncle had cancer, right and it was kind of getting towards the end of that and they had him Uh what is it is it hospice?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so, uh, the night before he passed away, we were sitting in the loving room and there was a hallway. Uh in a doorway and I kept seeing like this figure come out and it's like really weird, and all of a sudden, the light just gets really bright and shatters, So what the hell? And so we didn't think anything of it. I kept seeing that, so I was like, Yo, where's Grandma And they're like, she's in the kitchen. I said, well, who's in the hallway. They were like, what are you talking about? Freaking everybody out? So night goes on and me and my dad are walked to the truck. He goes, what did you see? And I told him. He goes, I didn't want to freak anybody out, but I saw a shadow and then image of a person walk in and out of that room like two or three times, and he said, I just didn't say anything. I don't want to freaking money out. And next morning my uncle passed away and so we call it the death. Things were coming to get him.
Speaker 2: And I think, had you told me that story five years ago, i'd have been like, I don't know, man, maybe you had you had anything, I think I've just now started to allow myself because I nor anybody else can can prove that you're not telling the truth. There's no way to prove you're not telling truth. However, I have a friend who's got a cousin and she's she didn't say she's a psychic. It's not like I can predict the score a football game or but there are people with certain talents even like discernment, even toward like I have friends that can are great at telling if somebody's a liar, no, and like that's some sort of skill they have, it's something they've developed and so, and we were talking to a girl yesterday as an artist, but she's like, you know, I I feel like I can see like aura, and most i'd be like, you're so full of crap, But why what I say? I can't I can't tell she's lying. And two people are able to do some things other people just can't do and understand. And so I've started to kind of go, maybe there's some stuff happening, and it's way larger than I am, even around me. And so when I'm like aliens, it's like a ghost, for example, could be another dimension. This is totally weird, right, totally weird, but it could be like an alien, but that's just from another here. It's here, but we can't see them unless they actually cross over and have to go and take your uncle's sick.
Speaker 3: So that that stuff really is it's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's whenever you really start thinking about it, it gets it keeps getting crazier and crazier because it's it's so everything's so vast, you know, and so big. So it's like, oh, wow, man, but aliens, aliens like little green men, we're talking about what it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have to be a little green men, especially whenever you find out that we are basically one grain our universe, not even our planet. Yeah, our universe is one grain of sand on a massive beach. Like you're telling me all the.
Speaker 3: Other sand there ain't nothing.
Speaker 1: Government come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ups, So they're starting to slow slow release this stuff, like I guess we'll let you know. We can't explain this. We can't explain Yes, yeah, y'all known about it forever. Yes, And there I get I'll get on TikTok sometimes. And I'm not alien guy. I'm not anti alien guy. Now, I'm I'm in, but I'm not I'm not out on a street corner going they're coming for it. I'm not known as alien guy. But yeah, I will get on TikTok and I'll get down some I'll go down some of these rabbit holes with like these scientists and Air Force former air heads that have been flying around. Yes, and they're like, I know what I've seen and it's unlike anything that I've ever supposed to have seen. And people say I'm crazy, but it's not. This is what's happened. And have they been talking about anything else? We believe them, but because it's like something we can't explain, Like, nah, I got it's crazy now that there.
Speaker 3: Was running the freaking Air Force like entire military brand.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's out there man, They're they're definitely.
Speaker 3: You get a lot of places send in your free guitars.
Speaker 1: Free guitars. Yeah, I think I've only been given like two or three free guitars, and it's been like Deans or Indianas or something.
Speaker 3: What do you what do people want you to do for them?
Speaker 2: Like, what's the most requested thing that people are like, we'd like for code to play. It's obviously like guitars.
Speaker 3: What would it be like inment wise? It could be any kind of endoor.
Speaker 2: It could be freaking beer, it could be shoes, it could be a guitar and instrument.
Speaker 1: Like pretty much anything that you can think, like fishing gear. I got like a troller motor and some ship put on my boat the other day. Like you know, you know, we'llknock the price out a little bit if you just post about this or do a video for us, you know, like got this new fishing fishing pole, shut out fun and son and heir sexes. That wasn't a plug by the way either. Yeah, but no, like stuff like.
Speaker 2: That, do you ever feel like you don't want to say yes, because then you feel like you'll owe them and there they'll never like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't like to take a whole lot of free stuff just because I don't. I don't want to feel like it's bizarre.
Speaker 2: We always want all the free stuff until we get to the point where then we start to get it. We're like, I don't want any more because they're home the whole time. Yeah, uh okay, well you got this all this music about to come out. I don't know, are you gonna be different to some people in their eyes by what you're about to tell us about who you are? And not completely, but are you about to do some stuff musically sonically, even they're gonna feel differently about you.
Speaker 1: I don't know about feel differently about me. I think they'll accept uh kind of where my where my music's going, because I've said from day one, like, I want to be diverse. Hell, I don't want to be that artist that you know, nothing against artists that have the same sound for thirty years, but I don't want to be that guy. And so I've always I've always took chances with sounds and and different genres, try to blend other genres. So yeah, I think that that's what's coming with this new record. I think people are gonna accept it, especially my fans. You know. I'm sure that they're gonna be some of the die hards that are pretty pissed off at what it is, But for the most part, I think they're they're gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: Is it all done mixed?
Speaker 1: I mean no, I actually I just got some of mixes in a day. It's not completely done.
Speaker 2: But have you heard any of the songs where you're like, man, that this this? I know, we spend a bunch of time on it, we tracked it, we mixed it. It's just not where it is let's just start it over.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I have really good that well, and that was that was one of the things that we talked about is how crazy it was for us to go in and write and cut these songs so quick, you know, especially after just leaning one another, you know, me and Gabe Simon and Amy Allen, uh Sam Harris. So it was really it was really cool to go in there that fast and make music like that and put it out.
Speaker 2: I know you haven't been on the you say body cabin fever right before you get to go back out and just do a lot of shows.
Speaker 3: Have you been playing at all? And have you played any new stuff.
Speaker 1: Out besides like dear Cam, campfires and ship.
Speaker 3: But know where where people could buy tickets and record it? Would you? Would you?
Speaker 2: Are you putting it out new stuff yet of you just playing? Or have you in the past and before you decided to actually cut the song? Is there anything out like a work to know? You don't even tell me if there was. I figured you were that's all right, that's all right. Well, look, yeah I enjoyed this. I don't know how you felt before you came over here. Well you're about to get into because I never know how people feel about me, nor do I really care because I always feel like, once they're here, it'll have to be good or it'll be fine. It's never going to be bad because everybody's professionals. What did they How did you feel about coming over here to do this?
Speaker 1: Honestly, this is probably like the first interview that I've done in two years. I don't really do interviews.
Speaker 2: There was nothing for me to see, like because I'm looking because I don't want to go to the same place as other people have been, and so yeah, there was there was almost nothing of recent memory.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate you doing by the way. I appreciate you coming that.
Speaker 1: Having me in. I know I was, I don't know, to be honest with you, I was kind of sweating a little bit just because I haven't done one in so long.
Speaker 3: And so it's more about you than me being a douchebag.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wasn't worried about you if you'd have been a douchebag and I'd said fuck off and left, so and.
Speaker 2: The op here's a story. I almost don't like telling the story anymore. Okay, there's a certain person I'm like, I'll tell you who it is off here and some of my heart of my old school people will know who it is. It was an interview I was doing. She was getting a little test I shouldn't said she the person was. The person was getting a little testy. And I've been known to just pop off like I'm a nice guy. I'm a carrying guy, but I'm also I have a quick trigger at times, super competitive, and I just if we're both working towards something, you're disrespectful, just go I'm.
Speaker 3: Not gonna tall I'm not gonna hollerrate it.
Speaker 2: And she was being quite disrespectful in the interview, and she had a book, and then I just asked her a question from her book and it was hey, x y Z. She said, I don't know why you'd asked me that you'll never be me. So she said to me, you'll never.
Speaker 1: Be me live.
Speaker 2: So here I am, and I go, you know what, I don't want to be you. You need to you need to leave on the air. So I told her she she must leave the studio. Not the first person I've kicked out live, but I definitely it's not my favorite thing to do because we're coming to accomplish something. Be compelling, so people will listen to me and then check out yours.
Speaker 1: Understand. Understand.
Speaker 3: Yes, So she's terrible and her.
Speaker 2: Person was waiting for me outside the building to beat me up like her her husband, And that was bizarre for me, and I didn't like it, but I was proud that I was just like, yeah, I gotta go because.
Speaker 3: Like, that's not a vibe I want to put out.
Speaker 1: I mean, you get as much respect as you.
Speaker 2: But I also felt like I would do it now too, like in the same way we'd have Mike do it, you know, like Mike take him out of here. Well, look, congratulations on all your success. Man, appreciate you've done it the hard way, and that's that's extremely respectable.
Speaker 3: And just don't don't don't get hurt.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be good. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: No, just don't be so bad. You're not gonna be good now. I'm never like school kid going to college. As soon as you get back down on the road, it's like we're let's go crazy.
Speaker 1: Just don't make you it's just got like a half leg or something.
Speaker 3: You almost had that today You're like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll be I got a lot of good people around men good. Good.
Speaker 3: Uh, I appreciate your time, and I'm rooting for you. I wasn't. Yeah, now I am. I'm glad. Yeah yeah, I wasn't not rooting for you.
Speaker 1: I was just like, who cares, I'm going to get a call from him or something that He's like, Man, this music is bullshit. We're even talking about.
Speaker 3: All right, So everybody, so you can follow co. It's in our notes. It's on the notes of here. You can see it. But it's AoE underscore Wetzel and Co Wetzel music.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: What was the Morgan shows? How were they any Morgan? That's coming up?
Speaker 2: Because I saw that on an image I saw you. It was like Morgan walling. I didn't follow up. I don't read the body.
Speaker 3: I just saw the image. So you're going out with him?
Speaker 1: I think we're doing We're just a one show right at and T Stadium and the Capital Stadium. Yeah, that's a that's gonna be crazy. That's that's gonna be a highlight for me.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be well, great to meet you. And I don't know, maybe I should drink That's what I felt.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't know. Man, this sounds good.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of cocktails before I came over hanging what what is?
Speaker 3: What is your non beer drink of choice right now?
Speaker 1: It's it's a vocaso. Usually it's like an old fashion I don't know what that is, Like a bourbon whiskey. Yeah, whiskey whiskey.
Speaker 3: Do you have a palette enough to tell a expensive bourbon?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm a big bourbon guay.
Speaker 3: Are you a bit of a knob in that air?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not a snob. So you'll drink yeah, yeah, I'll drink it. I'll drink alcohol, just straight up yeah, alcohols, alcohols.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, man, Good luck, man.
Speaker 4: Thank you so everybody, thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production.