Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up everybody?
Speaker 1: This is Moved the Sticks, the Workshop Series presented by Lows DJ and Buck with you Buck, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: And now to us DJ, we are getting one step closer. We got the final week of preseason and then you got that week and a half sabbatical and it's on. And it's so crazy how it gets here because it's not only the NFL season. We got college football kicking off this weekend, and then it's the Sprint. I mean, it's not even the Sprint, it's to Marathon, and the NFL it's to Marathon to February, and then in college it's just to the beginning of January.
Speaker 1: So it should be a lot of fun. Yeah, you heard there at the top. This is a different episode here. This is part of the Workshop Series presented by Lows. So we're going to do three of these, one a month where we're going to take one specific team and really kind of take them into the workshop Buck about what they've been able to do to try and transform a losing organization into a winning organization with a lot of changes, not just a you know, Caleb Williams move here. There was a lot of other roster additions to this team really over the last year, and that's where I want to start, because when we look at changing this team, I think that began last year midway through the year when they made that trade for Montes Sweat. This defense played, it was a top five defense, as good as any defense in the NFL once he got there last year. Just your take on the timing of that move, the decision to make that move, and the impact that Montes Sweat had last year and going.
Speaker 3: Forward, Yeah, I think Monteswat coming over coincides with Matt Eberflus really taking over the defense. Defensive coordinator Allen Williams steps away, eva Flues has to take over, has to become the defensive play call, a rod that he flourished in during assignment Indianapolis, and then when he kind of assumes the position with the Bears as head coach and defensive play call that this defense really kicked off. But part of the reason is because they're playing the style that he's always wanted to play, and that was helped by the fact that Montes Wait came over gave them a legitimate.
Speaker 2: Weapon on the edges.
Speaker 3: And if you studied montes Way from a time in Mississippi State to how you played with the Commanders, he's always.
Speaker 2: Been a high effort, high motor energy player.
Speaker 3: And everything that Matt Eberflus wants to do on defense starts with that part of it. Effort, hustle, all of the energy and those things, and so it's really a perfect marriage.
Speaker 2: And what you saw was when.
Speaker 3: He gets when ebra Flutes gets the type of pass rusher that he needs that this defense demands, many goes next level. And so that was I would say the core building block that they needed a dominant pass rusher off the edge that would give them that steady presence where they didn't have to blitz they heat up the quarterback. They could do it with a four man rush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you hit it too when you go back and watch all those sacks last year. It's a four man rush man. They are getting home and he's doing it off of some games as well as just winning on his own.
Speaker 2: And you see him win man.
Speaker 1: He's got that length, bucked the long arm move he used with his inside arm, he can walk the tackle straight back. You use the term the energy that he brings, Like I wrote that down when I was just going through his video, I was like, this guy is kind of infectious, you know. And we're going to get to Caleb Williams in a little bit. We'll talk about how this offense is going to be transformed. I do believe that Caleb Williams is kind of like a force multiplier because of not only his ability, but it's the ability to combine with the energy and enthusiasm that he brings to the offense. Monte Sweat did that for the defense last year. If you wanted proof of concept, you saw it. You saw what he did individually and how I felt like everybody else around him on that defense with the Bears raised their level up. And that's when you know you got something special in a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: And you know the thing is he was forced to play a conflimentary role in Washington because they had great players there. Even though he was a top pick, he still was down the line in the pecking water. And the move of Chicago gave him a chance to be something different. He got a chance to be the lead singer instead of a backup, and he is own that he can be the league guy. And when you think of some of the other players in additions that we'll talk about later. He's been able to step in, set the tone, set the stage, and create opportunities for others. And you can already tell that this defense has the top ten feel based on Montes's way kind of leading the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you look at some of these other pieces in place, and we'll get to the draft and we'll cover that just a little bit. But when you look at some building blocks, I think Gervon Dexter is a key building block for them as a very athletic, enormous, you know, perfect body type for how they want to play. Their second round pick in twenty three. He's got a chance to be a really, really good player. They handle the linebacker position. When through free agency, when you got to get t J. Edwards and Tremaine Edmonds. You guys are smart, they're tough, they're fast, they can cover, so.
Speaker 2: They're good there.
Speaker 1: And then I would put you know, I don't know where you are. I'd put the secondary up in terms of talent up against just about anybody. I love Brisker at safety as a young player. Second round pick in twenty twenty two. Jalen Johnson's the star is the reason he got twenty million bucks a year. Kyler Gordon, especially just just seeing him move around and how physical he's been in the preseason, I think he's got a chance to take a major leap as someone who's playing a nickel for them. Tyrek Stevenson is a physical, aggressive corner like that secondary is really good. Kevin Byern comes in the mix there, so they have a lot of pieces that I think make sense and work together there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because it's a defense where the scheme is evolving. So much of what Matt Eberfluch used to do was about the Tampa two scheme, two deep safeties, five underneath, gonna play his own eyes on the quarterback. And as they've gotten better personnel, they've shown the ability to do more man demand, more zone coverage, I mean more zone blitzes in match pressures where you're using man and man principles within the zone. They're showing the ability to do that, and it only makes this defense that much more difficult to face because when your team that likes to operate primarily with a four man rush, you blitz, it's the element of surprise and so it surprisingly creates one on one opportunities for Montes and the other guys on the front line. And as this defense continues to prove in the back end, they can be able to do more creative things on the front end.
Speaker 1: And I want to touch on on one draft pick on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: We'll kind of wrap up.
Speaker 1: The defense before we get over to the offense. And Caleb Williams and all the work that they've done on that side of the ball. Austin Booker they got in the fifth round this year, has already been a stud in the preseason. He's been very active, he's been productive. I know, you know, my comp on him was like he was a Kirkland brand Max Crosby because he kind of has that same playing style. But when I watched him, I saw that same just tenacious effort bucket. It's not it's not just the link in the in the explosiveness. It's it's the fact that like when when when the play is dead on the front side and he's dead, so many young players, that's that's the end of the play for them. He is chasing, he is sprinting down the field, chasing the away and I'm just like, Okay, that's that's that's that guy's wired the right way to go along with impressive athletic ability. They got themselves a good one there.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, it's the perfect marriage between front office and coaching staff being on the same page, the coaching staff being able to tell the front office, these are the types of players that we need, these are the traits that we have to have in these certain positions, and then it's going and chasing those traits. And you talked about Booker and what he's already been able to display in the preseason DJ When you look at him, I mean you look at him and then you look at montes Wett, I mean like they're very very similar in terms of prototypical traits, their tools, the way they play, the energy and the effort. And if you're the Bears, ideally, that's what you're trying to create. You're trying to create rooms. They have a lot of the same types of players and that we talk about basketball teams at wide receiver, but that d line room. Man, if you can get the big bodies, the big, tall athletic players on the edges to go with the beefy guys on the interior. Gives your chance to kind of dominate at the point of attack and dominate without having to use extra rushes and extra bodies in the pass russ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it all kind of goes together and all makes sense. And that's why I mean, well, let me just put it to you, this defense over a seventeen game season and considering who they play in that division. You know, Detroit, that's a high flying offense. I know Minnesota, Kirk Cousins is not there. It goes to Sam Donald, but that's still justin Jefferson in company. There's a lot of playmakers there as well. And obviously we know Green Bay with all their plethora of young weapons, that's not an easy offense.
Speaker 2: Can this defense?
Speaker 1: Don't Chicago be a top five NFL defense?
Speaker 3: You know, it's weird because they can, But I don't know if they'll be like the dominating defense where they completely suffocate you. I think their ability to rise into the ranks of the top five is dependent upon their ability to produce turnovers. This is a takeaway defense. They want to back you up. They want to win with four. They want to get in a off tips and overthrows. More so, than what I would call the stifling suffocation that we've seen from some of the defenses.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's good enough.
Speaker 3: And if the offense is like we think it may be, that is going to be the perfect style of compliment of what they do on offense, because if offense is scoring points, now your defense is playing against the offense that's chasing points. Eliminates the run game. Now you begin to get the big hits and the big tips and overthrows that lead to interceptions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it'll be interesting to see how how they maintain it throughout the year. But I do think you can look at every position group on that defense, and they've got, you know, a blue player, a blue caliber player that they can rely upon there, which is usually the sign of a pret darn good defense, including a closer. I think Montes Sweat he has all the tools to be a you know, an elite closer to finish ball games. They shouldn't have their offense you run up scores to be able to play that way. But we're going to get to why that might change. We'll get to the offensive side of the ball in this this workshop episod As we focus on the Bears right after this. All right, Buck, let's let's switch it over to the offensive side of the ball. When you look at this offense, you know, if you want to transform the offense, the easiest way to do it is obviously the quarterback position. They made the correct assessment. I think we can agree to punt on Bryce Young the year before get a hall of picks.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: They don't select him. They decide to wait on the quarterback and then man, it just it ends beautifully for them with Caroline ended up with the first pick, which they own, and they're able to get Kaileb Williams to go along with the other hal of picks they got for the Bryce Young trade. But that, to me, let's start there with that decision. How important was it for them to exercise patience knowing that that wasn't the right guy, especially for them knowing, you know, where they play and what's needed of the position in Chicago.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we learned when you when we're very very young in.
Speaker 3: The scouting businesses the importance of conviction as an evaluator, as a decision maker. And so for Ryan Poles to have enough conviction to know that hey, man. Bryce Young may be a good player, but he may not be a good player for us. He may not be the right player for us.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 3: Times when you're building a team, the conversation never goes to who you're playing against within your division and the conditions in which you have to play. When it gets to that stretch run in November December, Bryce Young, his bodybuild, his arm strength, and talent might not have flown well in the windy.
Speaker 2: City of Chicago. So they wait.
Speaker 3: They had a first round player in Justin Fields that they wanted to exhaust all opportunities before they made a decision on quarterback. Didn't go the way that Justin Fields wants, They're able to make the move, and then they bring back a guy in Caleb Williams who appears to be the right fit for the way they want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess we should also mention it. Look if they'd have taken CJ. Stroud and not made that trade, no one how CJ. Stroud played last year, Okay, maybe we'd say, Okay, they made the right decision. Obviously Stroud was awesome. I do think Stroud walked into a different team in Houston than he would have walked into in Chicago last year, because you know, we'll start with Caleb and focus there. But he's you know, there's some other new pieces on this offense as well at Keen Allen, DeAndre Swift. But with Caleb specifically, what you've seen from him this preseason, I know it's not I don't think it's I don't think it's as perfect as maybe some would want it to be. But I also know that those that are just sitting there on their keyboards, just waiting to nitpick every little thing, we're probably a little disappointed seeing some of the plays he's made.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know, we talk about being a young scout and some of the things that you learned along the way.
Speaker 2: I was taught the grade to flashes.
Speaker 3: When you're looking at college players, if they flash it multiple times, then they're capable of doing it. Now, it's about bringing about the consistency. When you go back and look at Caleb Williams first at Oklahoma then at USC there were a lot of flashes of high end talent. And you know, the natural comparisons that a lot of people may the Pat Mahomes and it's crazy to compare a young player to a guy who's going to be a Hall of Famer and maybe go down as the greatest of all time and the position, but there are similarities in terms of their playmaking ability and the way that they kind of make things happen inside and outside of the pocket. The one part that you worried about with Kayleb Williams after his final season that SC is would he be able to reind it in because he has so much success with a free, willing, freestyle play at SC and.
Speaker 2: Maybe did it to his detriment his final season.
Speaker 3: Could he get back to the basics and kind of keep the main thing the main thing, Let me throw all time on target from the pocket and use.
Speaker 2: That superpower when needed.
Speaker 3: It appears that he understands when to use it when not to, and if he can master that part early in his career, he is going to be a problem for defensive coordinators around the league.
Speaker 1: And I was watching going through all of his preseason tape, and you know, we talk so much about the Mahomes thing. You know, everybody use that comparison because of some of the magic. When I was watching the preseason stuff, and I know we talked about this briefly in the run up to the draft. There's some young Russ there, like some young Russell Wilson. Some of these are twirling, whirling plays where he's buying time and throwing off platform. Remember, like people see Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: Now, look he's not what he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go back to young Russ those first couple of years. You know, again, great defense that they had. Don't need you to, you know, play perfect, but can you generate a couple of big plays? And I can remember some of those Arizona games. Can you remember Russell just kind of running all over the place and making some magic happen, exhausting plays, and then look he's there was a sweet spot where Russell still had his athleticism and then he did learn to play on time, you know, and that's when some of those big offensive years happened for him in Seattle. I think that Caleb has a chance to get to that version earlier in his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny you bring up the thing with Russell Wilson, because I think I've written it down in my report about Kaylen Williams that he could like that and that he would be a nice comp to be able to do that, and you know it's unfortunately right now people are looking at the Russell that we're seeing in Pittsburgh, the one that's a little stock or whatever. But the young Russ that was athletic and could make plays. He was kind of the best of both worlds because he had the discipline, patience, and restraint to play winning football within the confines of the offense. But he always could make it right with his athleticism. When Kayleb Williams learns how to tow that line in terms of playing on script as opposed to playing off script and mixing in some of the improvisational playmaking ability, this offense is going to be terrific. And they've surrounded with a perfect supporting cast to really elevate his game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean when you look at at Russ rushing the football, when you pull up some of those numbers, I mean it was, you know, four hundred and eighty nine yards, five hundred and thirty nine yards. He had an eight hundred and forty nine yard rushing season with six touchdowns. You know, in a couple more five hundre yard seasons in there, I think Caleb can have those. I think it can be you know, maybe five to six hundred, seven hundred rushing yards to go along with some creative magical plays. He's able to accomplish in the passing game as well. But that was just kind of interesting to me just seeing that. And also, as we mentioned earlier, I think the I think the energy thing, the vibe thing, the force multiplier.
Speaker 2: I think that exists.
Speaker 1: I think it not only brings hope in your offensive lineman of Hey, if I can just block a little bit longer, some something good's going to happen back here. If I'm a receiver, if I can just stay alive on a broken play, we got a chance for that to happen. And even inside the stadium, Hey, you know we're down. We don't need to go get some food.
Speaker 2: But stay in here.
Speaker 1: They're get coming back on the field and we might see something we never seen before.
Speaker 3: You know, it's one of the things that it is not talked about enough in terms of like the energy that is created from the quarterbacks presence.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the quarterback.
Speaker 3: A franchise quarterback gives everyone into organization hope and that hope is something that you can feel on the sideline. So when you have a playmaker that can make it a variety of different ways, that has a proven track record of being able to lead you back. It changes the way that you play on defense because on defense, on the sideline, you'll say to one another, a man, we just need to get Caleb the ball back.
Speaker 2: We just need to give this guy another chance. He can bring us back.
Speaker 3: And if you see some of the magic happen and it turns in positive results where you see these come from behind wins, but then it just emboldens you to have this level of confidence that no matter what the game looks like, we always have an opportunity because the guy that we have is the QB one is a legitimate dude, and that legitimate dude can always bring us back.
Speaker 1: We gets you most excited about this receiving core because you've got DJ Morho's comeback. It just gave him a new contract. They make the trade for Keenan Allen comes over from the Chargers, or he's just had a ridiculous amount of production, you know, consistent production, no matter if it was Philip Rivers or Justin Herbert, he's been outstanding. And then you go out and get Roman Doonday. So in that trio of white outs, we're going to focus on that position. Who has you most excited.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm excited about the collective and I'm excited about how they all compliment one another. So in DJ Moore, I think you have like the size speed specimen, the guy who's terrific with the ball in his hands. He can make plays. He's proven to be I would say, even a better number one receiver than many can imagine. And Keenan Allen, you have a freak show in terms of a big body slot receiver with unbelievable stop star quickness and the slot it's funny we can talk about it's lower not but his ability to run option routes and create separation and twist defensive backs in the knots is Look, man, it's unrival for a guy of his size. And in Roman Dunsa, I think you just have the consummate from like he is. When I look at Rome Adunesa, I just say, man, this is a what a pro wide receiver supposed to look like.
Speaker 2: From the way that he.
Speaker 3: Dresses in terms of his uniform, to the way that he runs routes and make plays and the versatility. To me, they have the perfect wide receiver for the conditions that they're going to play in because it's windy and it's cold, and I'm a believer that you need bigger bodies to deal with those elements. And then four quarterback that likes to make plays. I think they just expand the strikes on and he gives him confidence that he can throw it up in those fifty to fifty ball situations because these guys are gonna come down with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a complete room. I went back and watched Roma Dunze every rep that he's played so far in the preseason, especially, wanted to focus on him versus press. So I know there's some people saying, oh, you know, is he got enough quickness and twitch to be able to get off press and get away from press. I think some play you know, a player too maybe got posted from training camp going up against Jalen Johnson, which, by the way, as we mentioned in one of the top corners in the league. The or no shame in that, but I was curious to see how he did. He didn't have any issues buck. I mean, he's got he's he can he can win with strength, he can win with quickness. He can he's sudden, he can escape. You know, there's one rep in the Buffalo game with going up against again one of the best nickels in the league there where he's you know, he plays underneath him and he's got an out route and then you know he cuts him off and takes it away. And I was like, Okay, we'll see how much more of this shows up. That was the only one that was only play and I saw him get on top early. He looks, he looks strong. So I mean that's why when I get to that question of who are you most excited about, I think I might be most excited about it Doomsday because of hey, broken plays. He's got an unbelievable innate feel and you've already seen that manifest and in a big play down the field against the Bengals. But he's got a real good feeling scramble rules in the red zone. He's going to be able to play above the rim and really go get the ball. And then even you saw him flip him a reverse. People forget this guy. Returned kicks like he's really good with the ball in his hands. Man, he is really good with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 3: I feel like that wasn't talked about enough doing the evaluation that he was a legitimate punt returner. And we've talked about the secret sauce to great wide receiver is maybe their ability to return punts because it showcases their open fuel running skills and the donees. They being his size as their punt returner says a lot about like his athleticism, his toughness, his running ability, and you know, it just makes them, it makes them a more dangerous team because when I look at that that trio Keenan Allen, I mean everyone can get busy in terms of catching run concepts, crossing routes and those things, and then the dunes they being able to run reverses. I mean, they just have a lot that they can throw at you without making it a very complex offense for the quarterback.
Speaker 1: And lastly, in terms of the skill guys, you look at the addition of Swift. DeAndre Swift is someone with excellent burst plays low to the ground. I think his style is going to play well if you look at him in the Philly offense. What Philly did obviously with all their weapons as they're able to create some space and he's able to make some things happen. I don't think he's a I don't think he's a you know, a creator in terms of man. There's a wall of bodies there and he's going to just push piles and kind of create something at of nothing. But I think he's a back that can capitalize on space. If you can get people spread out, you can get them in the in the open field a little bit, you know, where they're catching the ball or running the ball. That's when he's at his best. And I look the last year's version of the Bears. I don't know if that's a I don't know if I love that, but I think you look at him going forward and the group that they have and with Caleb and having to account for Caleb as a runner as you had to account for Jalen Hurts as a runner.
Speaker 2: I like the fit. Yeah, No, it's a nice fit. They just have they have size, they have speed, they.
Speaker 3: Have the ability to move the change with the some possession playmakers, but then they also have the home run ball in a variety of ways. It's a really dynamic and unique offense that I don't know if they've ever seen the kind of personnel in Chicago particularly on offense to do it. It could be a lot of fun because they've had to look at their rivals to the north. The Green Bay Packers and Washington play a certain style and have success throwing it all over the yard, and they had to.
Speaker 2: Look at that with envy.
Speaker 3: The Chicago Bears now can play that style in cold conditions and they may be able to create some advantages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, look, Colekomet's a nice tight end. You bring over Gerald Everett as a as a free agent, who's a nice move tight end. Compliments that well offensive line wise. Excited about Darnell Wright what he can be on the right side, you know, there was a case to be made. I thought, you know, there's a chance they might take a left tackle in the draft with instead of a Dudnesay. I love a Donsay, but I thought that was at least a conversation. They obviously believe in Braxton Jones. I don't know he's ever going to be a blue player, but he's got a chance to be a you know, develop and be a solid player. The interior the offensive line would be an area that I'd be a little bit concerned. Le's see how that group plays together. But man, just from last year to this year, you know, as we're doing this series, I don't know there's a greater transformation than the offense of the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a more fun offense in terms of the transformation where you can sit and look and just get excited about what this team could be. A lot of pressure falls on the new offensive coordinator, Shane Waldron. He has to show that he can take all of those pieces of the balls and put it together and make it a work of art. But you have the quarterback, you got pass catches, you got runners. The offensive line is in question, but some of the players on the offensive line are solid. It's just a matter of getting it all together and if they can continue to play complimentary football where the defense really matches what the offense is able to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna be there. They can mean the thick of it hard division, but they should be very, very in the North. All right.
Speaker 1: So this is the final verdict as we're wrapping this thing up seven and ten. Last year, the Chicago Bears simple question, can they flip it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it's funny because I was thinking about the magic number, the magic numbers ten.
Speaker 2: I think they can get to ten. They'll get to ten. I the energy around the team is says that they believe that they can make it happen.
Speaker 3: And the quarterback is certainly gonna give them a chance to steal two or three games at the end of the games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I do think, you know, the two best divisions in football this year, the deepest divisions, the must watch divisions, are in the North. It is the NFC North with the Bears, that all those teams are just talking about, the Vikings, the Lions, the Packers, And then it's the AFC North, which is the other intriguing division. So I think it's gonna be very competitive. It's not gonna be easy, but I do think that's attainable. I do think they could be a ten and seven team provided everything goes well. But I am they're gonna be watchable. They've gone from a semi unwatchable product to one that I think not just us, but I think those around the league are paying attention to see what this thing looks like. In Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of excitement about it. I mean, there are hard knocks. I mean they are getting opportunities primetime games. There's a lot of excitement about the quarterback. When the quarterback is good, the team has a chance to be great. It'll be fun to watch the number one overall pack Kayleb Williams lead this team a to a postseason birth in his first season.
Speaker 2: Well, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys enjoyed this one today. We got two more of these coming up from you, one a month here over the next couple of months, so we appreciate you guys hanging with us as we focused on the Chicago Bears. This was Move the Sticks, the Workshop series presented by Loew's