Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business Week Weekend Podcast. It's a holiday weekend thanks to the July fourth holiday. Many may be finding themselves on the beach, up in the mountains, in a nearby park, or sitting on their front stupid some time on their hands.
Speaker 3: So with that in mind, here's our team summer reading list, in no particular order, and including books from a Nobel laureate and a former witch on Wall Street to one about selling the high Seas alone, to the journalist who's keeping track of those who break barriers later in life.
Speaker 1: We begin with our team's pick by Nobel Laurie. Joseph Stieglitz, Professor of economics at Columbia University. He was Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors under President Clinton and a former Chief Economist of the World Bank.
Speaker 3: He's written many books, authored numerous research papers on many aspects of economics, equality, and more. His latest subject matter is covered in a new book. It's called The Road to Freedom, Economics and the Good Society. Our conversation began with the Fed's commitment to that two percent inflation objective and whether a little above actually makes much of a difference. We spoke to Professor Stieglitz in late April.
Speaker 4: From the point of view of economics, having two and a half or even three percent inflation is not a big deal. You know, the two percent target was pulled out of thin air. It was not based on economic science. What we want to be sure of is that we don't have runaway inflation. And inflation has clearly been tamed, it's been brought down, it's stable at lecture, wakes from month to month, but it is not as your problem. We should be focusing on other things, continuing economic growth, making sure that all Americans share in that growth. Those are the kinds of things that we ought to be thinking more about.
Speaker 3: So, Professor Stieglitz, should the FED abandon the two percent inflation goal? Should they have a different inflation goal, a different metric that they should be held accountable to.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think they should.
Speaker 4: I think they should be talking about keeping within a range to maybe three three and a half four percent. You know, there's actually some economic science that says, especially in a time of major structural change such as we're going through, having a little higher inflation actually is helpful in reallocating resources in the presence of downward nominal rigidities of wages, because what guides the movement of resources from one place to another is relative wages, and if some wages are sticky downward, you want other wages to go up enough to move labor, and that means you're going to have to have more inflation. So actually a little higher inflation is actually good for the economy.
Speaker 1: Do you think the FEDS management of the economy has been a good one in terms of policy?
Speaker 5: Quite? Frankly, no, put it bluntly.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to when inflation broke out after the pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The question was what was the cause, the primary cause of the inflation.
Speaker 5: It was unambiguous.
Speaker 4: It was the pandemic and war related interruptions in supply chains and rising prices caused by shortages of oil and food. It was demand shifts. People wanted to live in different places, and that meant housing prices went up where there was a scarcity, but it didn't go down as much where there was where people didn't want to live in parts of New York, raising interest rates actually impedes the ability of the economy to respond to that kind of.
Speaker 5: Structural to that kind of challenge.
Speaker 4: We needed to build more houses in the places where there was a scarcity, and having higher interest rates actually works makes it more difficulty. They also have a model of the economy that's based on competition. That might have been true some time ago, but we have an economy with a lot of market power at firms are trading off. If they raise their prices, they get more profits today, they lose profits in the future, and in that trade off, when you raise the interest rate, they value those future losses less and they're induced to raise their prices more. So margins go up, and a marked aspect of the inflation that we've just been through is that markets have increased enormously.
Speaker 3: Hey, Professor Stieglitz, I just wanted to speaking of the FED, Carol, I know you would a.
Speaker 1: Well, one one thing before we have a bigger broader question, and it's certainly been a bigger to jump in on that. Well, what do you think then we should be cutting rates already, that we're behind the curve right now.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think I think the risks are asymmetric. I think with Europe already slowing down in recession, we don't know where China is going to be going. I think uh proudents would have us uh going back to a more normal infrast rate. The higher interest rates are are really not going to be taming inflation.
Speaker 5: That that model was wrong.
Speaker 4: In another way, they dramatically had said that we're going to need five percent of inflation for five percent unemployment for some time in order to get inflation down.
Speaker 5: They were absolutely wrong.
Speaker 4: We got inflation down where in a period where we kept unemployment relatively low, So they are analysis of the economy was just off. And meanwhile they have put at risk our banking system. We had a problem in Selicom Valley Bank partly because of the enormous changes in terms structure which their policies led to. And we're facing a debt crisis in the developing countries and emerging markets.
Speaker 5: So there's enormous one sided risk. I believe in the policies that they've been pursuing.
Speaker 3: Well on the FED, Professor Stieglitz, I got to ask you about this Wall Street Journal report that broke last night that said how former Trump administration officials are coming up with plans to take on the independence of the Federal Reserve essentially at one end of the spectrum, even allowing if President Trump gets re elect him to weigh in on FED policy when it comes to interest rates. Talk a little bit about your reaction to if this were to come to fruition, how important the independence of the FED is and if that would really put at risk the model of the independence of the US financial system.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Trump is himself a major argument why you want to have independence.
Speaker 5: Of the FED.
Speaker 4: You don't want somebody who doesn't understand monetary policy, who would put at risk the long run stability of the economy for the short term electoral advantage of having a hot economy right before an election. That's precisely why there is an argument for independence. So, you know, I believe in the accountability of the FED. It is a public institution.
Speaker 6: We have.
Speaker 5: Previous chairmen of the FED. We're very cognizant of that.
Speaker 4: I remember Paul Voker saying Congress created us and Congress can uncreate us. So there is a kind of accountability that responsible to heads of the FED, understand, But we certainly don't want Donald Trump to be running monetary policy.
Speaker 1: All right, We do want to dig into your book because you've been thinking a lot about the meaning of freedom, and I think we throw the word abown a lot. I think the folks who created the United States are founding fathers thought about freedom a lot and the difference though between what that really means and maybe it comes down to, as you think about it, the values that we all have in society tell us about how we need to kind of maybe redefine freedom and what it means in terms of citizens more broadly and generally, as well as economically in terms of their six.
Speaker 4: Sure you know, I approached the issue obviously as an economist, and as an economist we think of freedom is free to do what you can do.
Speaker 5: What are the choices that you can make.
Speaker 4: Somebody who is at the point of starvation doesn't really have any freedom. He has to do what he does what he can to survive, and so expanding the set of choices that an individual is available is a way of saying that he has more freedom. And here there are a couple of ideas I put forward in my book. The first is that in our integrated urban twenty percentury economy, one person does the expansion of his freedom may.
Speaker 5: Lead to less freedom of others.
Speaker 4: Isaiah Berlin, the great Oxford philosopher, put it this way. He said, freedom for the war has often meant death for the sheep, and in the context of the US, for instance, the freedom to carry an AK forty seven means that people will die, and it means that our school children are not free from fear. They have to learn what to do if a gunman comes into the classroom, and teachers have to go to school worried about whether they'll be attacked. Freedom not to wear masks is exposed taking away the freedom of others to live.
Speaker 6: So we.
Speaker 4: Have to balance these freedoms. There are trade offs. Many cases, those trade offs are easy. Freedom to pollute takes away the freedom to have somebody with asthma to even live, let alone the freedom of all of us to live on our planet. So there I think we have to constrain the freedom of the pluters and the freedom of exploiters.
Speaker 1: So we're talking with Joseph Stieglitz, Nobel Laureate Economists, Professor of Economics at Columbia University, and we're talking about his new book, The Road to Freedom, Economics and the Good Society. All right, So if we think Professor Stieglitz the idea of freedom, so it's maybe more inclusive or it's a broader definition, how do we do that within society? With corporations, the need to be profitable for those we are in earning season. We look at companies and their reports and that's how we kind of measure them, grade them. What does government need to do? How can we maybe be better if you will for more.
Speaker 4: First, let me emphasize that in the world i've just described, there's an important role for regulations. Corporations often don't like that, but we have to remember the purpose of our economy is to improve the lives and livelihoods of our citizens.
Speaker 5: It's not the other way around that the economy.
Speaker 4: The economy is supposed to serve society, not the other way around.
Speaker 5: There's another aspect.
Speaker 4: Regulations can't actually expand the freedom of all of us. Think about stop likes if we don't have stop stop likes. We have gourdlock. None of us has the freedom to move. Stop likes ors are a little bit of coercion, mean that I have to take turns, but by taking turns, we all have more freedom. And that basic idea extends much more broadly. People don't like to pay taxes. That that's they often feel kind of coercion. But when those tax revenues are used productively, like they were to invest in the Internet and invest in the m R any platform that led to the vaccine against COVID nineteen, that expands our freedom to do. And so we have to look at this in I would say in a little bit more holistic way.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to go to your taxes point, because I'm curious if you could wave a magic wand or implement some sort of tax policy here in the US, what would it be? How could you reinvent it? Would you broaden the tax space, would you lean more on corporate taxes, would you tax wealth more? What, in your opinion would work?
Speaker 5: Well, I begin by.
Speaker 4: Analyzing would are some of the key problems on our society basis, and one of them is inequality. One of the reasons and a second problem is the growth of market power, which has been enormous in the last few decades, and those two are obviously linked. When you have more market power, the fruits of that market power go to those at the top. We also have more economists called monoposity power. Firms have market power over workers and have driven down their wages significantly below a competitive level. So I want to have more anti trust policy, more competitive labor market policies, but that can take time. Meanwhile, there's a lot of monopoly rents, and so part of what I would begin by doing is increasing corporate comfix taxes, which are not a tax on return to capital, they are tax on this monopoly profits.
Speaker 5: I'd also like to have environmental taxes.
Speaker 4: Firms that are engaged, including the environment, ought to pay for the damage that they're doing. Remarkably, America, those at the top pay a lower percentage of their taxes than those down below. Even some of our richest people have commented that they think they're right more be wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, can I ask you, like on a day when we're looking at a company and forgive me, I'm just singling out because it popped. Shares of alphabet are now a two trillion dollar market cap company this week, you know next week. Last week, we've been obsessed with, certainly what we call the Magnificent seven, the big megacap technic companies. They're very big. Amazon, we talked with an author recently, so entrenched certainly in our world, and you think about their reach. Are these the companies, the individuals, whether it's an Amazon, whether it's a Meta, whether it's an alphabet that you think you talked about. Growth of market power isn't too much at this point in your view that something needs to be done to rain them in or do the benefits outweigh the downside here, Well.
Speaker 4: They do give benefits, but they have a lot of downsides. They need to be better regulated. Europe has done a better job but regulating that. The digital harms are quite obvious and have been by now well documented.
Speaker 5: But talking narrowly now about market power, I.
Speaker 4: Think we ought to do what we can to limit their market power, but tax the fruits of that market power, the revenues that they get at a much higher rate. You know, if you ask the question, would Jeff Bezos or the founders.
Speaker 5: Of Google.
Speaker 4: Or Zuperbird stop working if we tax their wealth in a way, say a three percent, So any answer is obvious.
Speaker 5: They would continue to work.
Speaker 3: Do you think that they would leave the United States?
Speaker 4: Well, we have imposed what we call an exit tax that those with a lot of wealth and don't feel who don't feel loyalty United States.
Speaker 5: Can lead.
Speaker 4: We allowed them to leave, but they have to pay a tax that represents attacks on the groups of the wealth that they've accumulated while they've been in the United States. And that tax is significant, and it is a deterrent, and if it's not, it may be that we ought to consider raising that tax. But I don't think people like Zuckerberg Musk are going to leave the United States. They realize the benefits of American citizenship.
Speaker 3: We're speaking right now with Professor Joseph Stieglitz, Nobel Lauriate Economists. He's a professor of economics at Columbia University. He's got a new book out, The Road to Freedom, Economics and the Good Society. Professor, as I mentioned, you are up at Columbia. You've been there for a long time. We've been watching everything that's been happening on the campus there, as well as campuses including USC, Yale, MIT, the list continues to go on here in the United States, as was seen Palestinian protests and encabments take over some of these campuses. Freedom in the academic context, How are you looking at the protest protests and the context of freedom of speech?
Speaker 5: That's a good question, I mean personal.
Speaker 4: Let me comment that up where my office is, which is the Manhattanville campus, things are.
Speaker 5: Very quiet the business school at the business school there.
Speaker 1: But you've been on campus a long time and you've seen different protests over the years, and it seemed to be I was there when there were protests, and it seems like that's what students are should be doing, exploring and pushing back when they don't feel like things are right. But what is what is the what is it those protests in the context of freedom of speech?
Speaker 5: So I agree with you very strongly.
Speaker 4: I'm actually happy the students are engaged in the world, you know. That's that's one of the things I tribably keept them to be interested in the world and also the reason about the world, to come to understand it and to debate how could or should things be changed. So that's a good thing. And in my own life, protests have played a very important role. Back in nineteen sixty three, I was down there in the march in Washington with Martin Luther King, and you know that speech he gave about I have a Dream has been a lifelong inspiration to me. So even civil disobedience in certain circumstances can be an important mechanism for social change. We have a special responsibility, of course, to make sure on our campus that all views get heard, that we can have civil debates, and on the one end, academic freedom is really important. And I really took offense to Speaker Johnson coming up to our campus and calling for the resignation of our president.
Speaker 5: I hadn't seen anything.
Speaker 4: Like that, maybe since the HUAC hearings the House on American Activities Committee back with McCarthy in the fifties. I mean, that kind of direct interference in academia is just unheard of. And we know some of the Republicans have been trying to undermine universities because universities teach children how to our young our youngsters, our young men and women, how to think, and a lot of people don't like that idea that they should be thinking for themselves. But at the same time, we have to create on campus a community. We're all voices are heard, and I think we're actually working very much towards that. There were only a few people raising problems, and I think having outside actu takers like the speaker is not helpful.
Speaker 1: We're going to leave it on that note. We always appreciate hearing you talk about hearing from voices. We always appreciate hearing from you. Professor Stieglitz, thank you so much, Nobell Loride Economist Columbia Professor Joseph Stieglitz here in New York City. Check out his book. His latest book, The Road to Freedom, Economics and the Good Society. Really appreciate us spending some time with you.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple Car Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: This next book Tim's pick, also Group fave by New York Times Global economics correspondent and award winning journalist Peter S. Goodman, the book How the World Ran out of everything inside the global supply chain. And to understand the supply chain.
Speaker 3: Peter visits seemingly every link. He spends time with one of the largest exporters of amends in California and the dock workers who are supposed to get those amends all over the world. He hitches a ride through Kansas with a Brahms loving trucker and visits ports from Los Angeles to Savannah to explain how the world found itself in the greatest supply chain crisis it's ever seen.
Speaker 1: He is a journalist that really does his job. Here's Tim Summer read from Peter S. Goodman, his book How the World Run Out of Everything Inside the Global supply Chain? Bill Clinton and China entering the wto the rise of globalization, McKenzie and the Lean Taliban, the decline of unions in the working class, the rise of share buybacks and increasing dividends, monopolistic takeovers, and then the pandemic and the great supply chain crisis.
Speaker 3: Covering it all. And this complex global system is New York Times Global Economics correspondent an award winning journalist, Peter S.
Speaker 7: Goodman.
Speaker 3: He's the author of the new book Just Out how the world ran out of everything inside the global supply chain. And to understand the global supply chain, Peter visits seemingly every link of it. He spends time in one of the largest exporters of almonds in California and with the dock workers who are supposed to get those amends all over the world. He hitches a ride through Kansas with a Brahms loving trucker, feeds cows with a third generation rancher in Montana, and eats breakfast with the commissioner of the Federal Maritime Commission. He visits ports from la to Savannah to explain how the world found itself in the greatest supply chain crisis it's ever seen.
Speaker 1: All Right, he is here in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker studio. We wanted to do the setup because it's really comprehensive, and I do feel like I think it's safe to say that it explains a lot of kind of where we are today. So, Peter, you have such a front row seat to so much that is going on in the world. Tell us about that front row seat and what kind of really you know, stands out for you.
Speaker 8: You know, it's changed the way I look at any package that lands at my door, or really any product that somebody made somewhere that had to be transported to a store or to a home or a business. We don't tend to think about the supply chain, you know. It's one of those things. It's like the light switch. We're not thinking about the internal wiring. We flipped on the light's work well when.
Speaker 7: We needed it most. It failed, It.
Speaker 8: Buckled, and we had frontline medical workers dealing with COVID patients without protective gear. We had families unable to find infant formula. I mean, that was an incredible crisis. We have a toilet paper scare, which turned out to not be so much as shortage as a question of hoarding. And we all remember these ships, you know, fifty sixty seventy ships that were floating off the coast of southern California, unable to land, floating for weeks at a time before they could find a slot to load and unload all these factory goods coming in from China. And I think for all of us in the midst of the pandemic, it was so bewildering that it gave us this curiosity about these people.
Speaker 7: We never think about.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 8: Yes, as you guys pointed out, I climbed into in the front of a truck. I visited with rail maintenance workers who were away from their families for weeks at a time, and I really tried to understand what has gone haywire here.
Speaker 3: Peter, the reason we're talking about such a complex supply chain is because of globalization. Your career has kind of coincided with the rise of globalization, right being a reporter in South Asia in the nineties and then post dot com crash working for the Washington Post. I think it was out of Shanghai. That's you visited a lot of these factories at times when they weren't what they are today. Talk a little bit about how you've seen that your career alongside the rise of globalization.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I appreciate your pointing that out. So I landed in China in two thousand and one, which was the same year that China, of course enters the World Trade Organization, this landmark, you know, moment for globalization, and it was pretty clear then that China had huge aspirations and that the world was flocking to China in large part because you know, corporate CEOs who were constantly looking for ways to cut costs, availed themselves of this ultimate opportunity to you know, engage Chinese labor as a way of undercutting labor costs at home in the US and in Japan, in South Korea, in Europe. And it was also clear that the Chinese government had very systematically built out the infrastructure that was needed for trade. So you know, visited massive ports factories that were capable of making you know, enough microwave ovens to supply Walmart for a year, you know, and whole towns were you know, set up for single industries. I remember going to the necktie town. There was this one town in one province that was suddenly making more neckties than all of Italy, you know, in the course of a decade. So you could feel that the scale was available. But what I didn't understand, and what I've come to understand through this book, is that all of this was premised on the idea that container shipping would be basically free and reliable. And what I've come to see is that we built this global economy putting ourselves really at the mercy of this international cartel.
Speaker 1: If you had to pinpoint, was it President Bill Clinton, former President Bill Clinton, and the push to get everybody or to get China in the WTO. That that's why we're having this conversation. That's why when the pandemic hit, we were like, what the heck happened to our global supply chain? Isn't that particular moment in time that got us to.
Speaker 7: Hear I think that's a landmark. I mean, there's a lot of moments at time, right.
Speaker 8: I mean I write about Ford because I was interested in the rise of mass assembly. I write about the roots of the shipping container because the process of standardizing cargo made it possible to go look for the cheapest place to make anything.
Speaker 7: You could go anywhere around the world.
Speaker 1: But if China wasn't accepted on a global scale in terms of trade, right, there was a big push. There were lots of concerns about human rights. There are still lots of big concerns about human rights, and yet there they were right in the WTO, something they fought for.
Speaker 8: Well, here's the part that people are generally afraid to talk about. You know, China gets into the WTO because American retailers lobby like crazy to get China into the WTO, and nobody wants to be affiliated with the story of labor exploitation. Now, let's remember Chinese labor in American history. You know, from the beginning it's about undercutting wages. Right, Chinese workers aren't systematically brought over from China to build the railroads because the mostly Irish laborers say, ah, this is pretty dangerous and we're not getting paid enough. So this is a continuation of that story, you know, a century later, where now we're bringing the production to China and there's this is a sort of seamy, unsavory quality to this story because of course China is controlled by the Chinese commediest Party. There's no elections. You can get access to land, you can bypass workplace and environmental standards by cutting some local party official in on part of the sports. Well, this is not a good story for Bill Clinton, who you know, only a decade before he lobbies to get China into the WTO, is running as the guy who's you know, disciplining George H. W. Bush for coddling the butchers of Beijing. He's very critical of the crackdown against the pro democracy demonstrators in Tianneman Square. Well, I tell the story in the book. You know, it's not even a decade later, and Clinton's in Beijing at a banquet at the Great Hall of the People across the street from Tianeman Square, where he literally picks up the baton and conducts the People's Liberation Army Orchestra as they play this John Phillips southsro March. Now, why is Bill Clinton there? He's there because his party, the Democratic Party, is pulling in massive campaign attributions from retailers, and they're fashioning this story. It's not totally a fairy tale, right, I mean, trade has been the lynchpin of American foreign policy since the end of the Second World War. But there are a lot of reasons to be dubious that. You know, this is really about It's not just about selling Chinese people lots of stuff. It's not just about buying cheap goods from China. This is about democratizing China once.
Speaker 1: Well, that was the goal, that thinking that, okay, let's open up you know, trade and probably democracy will come and the human rights abuses will go away. And yet it didn't necessarily play out that way.
Speaker 8: Well, one part of it played out. We got really low cost goods from China. The Walton family, the founders of Walmart, for a while became, you know, the wealthiest family on Earth. And anybody who moved production over to China at scale and managed to do the right deals rewarded their shareholders handsomely. That part held to form. Also, not incidentally, the industrialization of China lifted several hundred million people out of poverty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's highly significant.
Speaker 8: But the part about once Chinese people get a taste of Kentucky fried chicken, they're going to demand the ballot box, well, that has not worked out as I think everyone is now. Where you know, we're talking about genocide according to the Biden administration in Hinjong, where the Wigers are pressed into forced labor to produce cotton that ends up in lots of apparel. Of course, we still don't have elections. The central government has actually strengthened its role in Chinese society, so we don't hear that talk anymore. And of course now it's become politically fashionable within both parties to attack China as our enemy.
Speaker 3: Peter, you mentioned concentration in shipping. I believe you called it a cartel, right, I had no idea before reading this that it was basically what three companies.
Speaker 8: Three alliances that can use a bunch of companies, but think of it like airline allies.
Speaker 3: Three alliances that control basically all.
Speaker 8: Of shipping ninety five percent of the shipping from China to the West coast of the United States.
Speaker 3: Some of the companies owned by China or like our are state subsidized organizations. How did it become like that?
Speaker 8: It became like that because there was deregulation pretty much everywhere, including in the US, where you know there used to be this anti trust exemption, but there was regulation on shipping rates, so you had to post what your rates were from one place to another.
Speaker 7: You couldn't negotiate a deal in secret.
Speaker 8: It was all above board, sort of like a utility, right, like the governments involved because this is a vital part of the economy. And then basically retailers lobbied. There were a couple of landmarks. The last one was in the eighties. There was no Amazon then, but there was Walmart target. The big retailers thought, well, if we're bringing over lots of these factory goods from China to the West coast of the US, to the East coast of the US, we would like to be able to negotiate a better deal than the smaller competitors. So essentially we've optimized the supply chain for the biggest companies, and the anti trust was essentially deactivated throughout much of American life. Right, you go back to Reagan, although really the story starts with Carter. You know, we're steeped in this idea that scale is the way to serve consumers, and so let's just get out of the way of business and let them provide, you know, that will deliver innovation. But once you take away competition, of course, what we get is pricing power. And for a long time, these mostly well they're all actually foreign companies. In international shipping. There were like extensions of state policy in China, South Korea, Taiwan, so they were content to keep shipping costs low as a way to bolster their exports. But once we get a shock in the great supply chain disruption during the pandemic, we see shipping prices go up tenfold, and we see, you know, you guys were alluding to the fact that I spent some time with Amman farmers in central California. We see amed farmers I visited had an entire crop sold to Dubai to Japanese purchasers, and they were just sitting on all this crop that they couldn't actually get on a ship. Because these shipping carriers were making so much money sending factory goods from China to the West coast of the US, which is the gateway for forty percent of American imports, that they didn't even want to bother to send empty containers up to the Central Valley to load up with farm products like ammons. They just unloaded factory goods in La and sent empty containers back across the Pacific. We're talking about burning diesel fuel to send air back across the Pacific. So they can get twenty five twenty seven twenty eight thousand dollars to move a container of factory goods from you know, a place like Shanghai to LA that used to cost like twenty twenty five hundred during the pandemic. That's largely the story of deregulation.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: One thing I think about, though, in particular in your book is kind of the role of consultanc here. And I don't want to pick pile on anyone in particular. But you do single out mackenzie, I sure do. You do talk about the lean Taliban. You also get into a lot of just in time inventory for anybody's taking accounting cleanses. Played around with this, right, but this idea too, that you don't want to have big inventories, you want to be lean and mean. Right, so, because those inventories are costly to store them, to have them, and all that thing, and so this financial focus on that and this kind of narrative of saying be lean and mean, that's a good thing. We've all played a part of it when we go through the quarterly lean and mean this is a good thing for a company. How big a role did that play in getting us so that when the pandemic hit, nobody had excess supply anywhere?
Speaker 8: A huge role. We cut inventories to the bone. Publicly traded companies cut inventories to the bone over decades. Now, Just in time is a sensible idea. It was pioneered by Toyota, and of World War two devastation, not a lot of capital, not a lot of land to develop. Taichi Ono, who is running Toyota, pioneers this idea instead of making as much stuff as possible like Henry Ford did at Ford and letting sales people try to figure out how to sell it. Let's just make enough to replenish the cars that we've already sold. Let's get our suppliers to deliver the stuff we need right when we need it, rather than waste.
Speaker 7: Capital on warehouses.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's a good idea, but a long come of publicly traded companies guided by consultants like McKenzie who say, listen, this should apply to everything, and you should not stop until there's basically no inventory. And what you do is, instead of wasting capital on sticking you know, auto parts, you know, a warehouse as a hedge against trouble, just liquidate the warehouse. Take the cash, give it to yourselves to reward yourselves, corporate executives for being smart enough to hire McKenzie, Give it to shareholders and the form of dividends and share buybacks, and everybody's happy until there's a problem. And this pandemic was not the first time we saw a shock to the system. I mean, I wrote my first supply chain story back in nineteen ninety nine. It was about an earthquake in Taiwan, and back then people said, oh, whoops, we've got computer chip shortages. Maybe we shouldn't concentrate all our industry here, Maybe we should have a little more difference.
Speaker 3: If we learn our lesson with the computer tip industry.
Speaker 7: We sure did not.
Speaker 8: I mean, I tell the story in the book of Henry Ford, who is a problematic figure in history, but knew a thing or two about supply chains and never wanted to be in a position where.
Speaker 7: He could be pinched by a supplier constrained.
Speaker 8: Would have been horrified to see what I saw one hundred years later, as on walking the catwalk at his signature River Rouge plant outside of Detroit, where they're making these beautiful f one fifty pickup trucks their most popular vehicle. They've got all the things they need except for the one thing that brings it to life, the computer chip. And I watched them park these cars in the shadow of Ford's corporate headquarters across the street from Henry Ford Elementary School. I mean, he would be spinning in his grave over this. We did not learn the lesson.
Speaker 1: I think this is his part, and forgive me if I've got it wrong. But when I read it Detroit had devolved into a poignant example of what happened when middle class factory jobs were replaced by poverty level positions at reach Heller's warehouses and fast food chains. Next to the old Highland Park factory, now forlorn brickshell, a shopping center called modelty Plaza was anchored by a dollar store, a payday lender, and a plasma collection center, awaiting people willing to swap blood for cash. The cards off had become an instrument of white flight. Like that to me says so much of what's going on across America and explains to me politics in a big way. We want to bring in Doug Christeners here. Doug is like this great thinker and like your book just kind of reminds us of the things we talk about with Doug. So we wanted to bring in one of the things.
Speaker 9: That's interesting, Tim was going to talk about politics. In the nineteen ninety two presidential campaign. Ross Perrot was the lone voice who was kind of cautioning against at that time what was the North American Free Trade Agreement Canada, the US and Mexico. What's stunning is how quickly the conversation became about China. Why did that pivot happen so quickly in your view away from North America manufacturing in China.
Speaker 8: Well, China, it operates on a whole different scale than Mexico, right, So Rossboro, of course, yeah, famously warned of the giant sucking sound. And we did lose some jobs in the industrial Midwest to Mexico, but we picked up a lot of jobs because the US and Mexico are economically integrated. And I mean it's ironic now to think about Mexico as the solution to some of our supply chain problems. But when we import something from Mexico, forty percent of the value of that imported good was actually made in the United States. So you know, we bring in a car that was made in a Mexican factory, and forty percent of the value of that car was built by American labor in American factories. The component number for China is three percent, so only three percent of the value of imports from China have American value. Add and of course Chinese state policy is really directed to driving that as close to zero as possible. But I think it's really important to note that a lot of these failures that have fueled backlash originally Mexico now China. I argue in the book, I mean this part nobody really wants to talk about. These are homemade failures. I mean, we have benefited from trade with China. We have benefited from trade with Mexico. We've got a lot of low cost goods. In the case of Mexico again, we've boosted our exports. We've got consumers benefiting. A lot of data shows that consumer spending has been juiced by trade with China, and that money ends up, you know, in the hands of American service providers. Our leisure you know, is more robot We have more money here. The problem is we haven't cushioned the people who have lost. And we have seen whole communities, industries, you know, really hit hard by this China shock. That a lot of the data shows we're talking one million direct jobs in the space of a decade lost to Chinese imports.
Speaker 1: It is China the bad guy, or is it investors and companies who constantly we're seeking out a low cost provider.
Speaker 8: The ultimate winners are the investor class, without any question, and there's a lot of labor exploitation in China. So yes, the winners are the people who funded the Clinton campaign and got Bill Clinton against.
Speaker 3: Say nothing of environmental regulation, of course.
Speaker 7: Okay, right, go ahead, Peter.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about labor exploitation in the trucking industry, sure, because a common thing that we heard over and over again during the pandemic and the supply chain disruption that we saw was that trucking companies just didn't have enough drivers. They needed people to go learn how to drive a truck and start driving trucks. You found that that wasn't the case. It's just a really, really bad job.
Speaker 8: It's a horrible job. I mean, I rode with a trucker in the best possible conditions, guy who actually likes his job, from Kansas City to Dallas and back in the middle of the winter. I slept in the cab for two nights. I watched this man have to worry about caffeinating enough so we wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel, and yet not having to pull over to use the restroom. Truckers are constantly worried about where they're going to park. They're at the mercy of lots of other parts of the supply chain. They have no influence over. They can get stuck at warehouses for hours waiting for somebody to load or unload their vehicle because warehouses have shortages of workers. Now, this trucking industry shortage, this is an industry talking point. There's ten million people in the United States who have licenses to drive long haul trucks, and we need roughly a third that number. We've run out of people we can feed into the mill who are willing to sign off on these predatory lending arrangements by which truckers pay for their certification, by which they end up buying these vehicles at wildly inflated prices from the trucking companies. Then they're forced to go service these vehicles at places that are part of the empires of these trucking companies. And so a lot of people, you know, they get tired of being away from their families. They get tired of hearing that they've missed another chill child's birthday party, they miss people's funerals. It's a tough job. It's always been a tough job. The difference is it's been downgraded to the point that we've run out of takers for this tough job.
Speaker 9: What's the remedy in your view? I mean, how do we get out of the situation that we're in now. I'm listening to the trucking story and I'm thinking of robotic vehicles that are going to be creeping into the scene pretty soon. So the argument that you're making right now may get a remedy, but it's going to be at the cost of labor in a major way. But what do you think the remedy is longer term?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think for openers, we got to look at these predatory arrangements that truckers make with the people coming through these educational mills that set up certification with taxpayer funding. You know, we are paying to feed people into these training programs where they end up getting jobs that pay a fraction of what they've been promised.
Speaker 7: So that's the first thing to do.
Speaker 8: Look, automation is inevitable, it's going to happen, but we got to have a conversation about how we compensate the people who are still in the business. We got to make sure that they can get exercise, that they can eat, eat better than they're eating.
Speaker 7: I mean, the food that you see at.
Speaker 8: These truck stops it's just a it's a tough life. The government has to get involved in looking at these working conditions.
Speaker 1: What's the bigger solution though, because to me, I'm thinking, all right, if we're bringing a lot of stuff home, maybe more jobs are going to be created back home, but it's going to be more expensive, So get ready to continue to pay more money. But if it means that workers are actually making more and a real living, that's a good thing. So I don't know, I'm just trying to figure out what you see is Wait.
Speaker 8: In some cases, if we shift production from China to other countries where wagers higher, if we bring some of it back to the US, that that'll mostly be automation. Yeah, the costs for some things are going to go up. Some things may go now, and some things may go up. But what is the cost that we're paying now that doesn't get factored into the simple you know, sticker price with the Walmart Superstar. What's the cost of running out of medical devices in the middle of a pandemic. What's the cost of discovering that we've depended upon a single country that we've decided is our adversary, that we're having a trade war with for you know, personal protective gear to give frontline medical whim.
Speaker 1: That's really changed, right dramatically or.
Speaker 8: Have changed somewhat. I mean I spent a lot of time for the book. You know, I went to Guatemala with Columbia Sportswear. They're looking to move production closer to their biggest market, which is North America. Spent a lot of time in Mexico looking, you know, as we've discussed how that could potentially be part of this solution to our excessive reliance on China. But China's going to be the center of manufacturing for a really long time for the simple reason that's got this unbeatable combination of infrastructure, low cost efficiency.
Speaker 7: The question is how do.
Speaker 8: We compensate the people who were depending on in our own country. And you know, Henry Ford again problematic character for all sorts of reasons, but he got some things right. You know, he doubled wages for his workers in the nineteen teens. He was called a communist by some people. He said, look, I'm just trying to sell cars, and I'm trying to sell them at low prices. And any business that's built on low wage labor is unreliable.
Speaker 9: Away from the government. Is there a role for organized labor in this.
Speaker 8: Oh, one hundred percent. I mean we should be embracing labor mobilization. I mean it's bumpy, it does involve higher costs. If you're running a business, you're you're not delighted that your union is now animated. But first of all, it puts spending capacity in people's pockets, right, It boosts consumer power, which is good for all businesses. And it's simply more reliable if people aren't are at work not worried about their ability to put groceries on there.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that when I read about precision scheduled railroading in your book, because those were union guys, right, right, But they had a pretty tough gig too, So well, some of them are.
Speaker 7: So you wrote about people.
Speaker 3: Who missed medical appointments and funerals and like, we're driving so far from their homes in that business. Were the unionized folks who were doing that in a much better position than the non unionized ones. I mean that's a tough gig too.
Speaker 8: Look, the unions, you know, we're ready to go on strike and couldn't go on strike because there's this law that says they have to basically get the president's permission to strike, and the president didn't grant that permission because it would have been a shock to this. It would have uped inflation, and that wasn't something that Joe Biden wanted to happen on his watch. But even you know, this this powerful union that got right to the edge of strike.
Speaker 7: They couldn't get paid sick leave. You know, Biden gave.
Speaker 8: It to them through the bully pulpit, and some of the companies then delivered a few days. But yes, I talked to people who were missing out. In one case, a guy who's who's infant, you know, needed cardiac surgery and he was told, sorry, pal, you know we need you on the maintenance crew. You can't be home for that. And then he finally quit and fired off a letter Yeah, go ahead, no, but so much for.
Speaker 1: Like was it a few years ago? The business round table, stakeholder like, think of all the stakeholders, including employees.
Speaker 7: That's my last book.
Speaker 1: We only have, I know, twenty seconds left. Are we going to run out of things again? At some point?
Speaker 8: Yes, you know, talk to contractors about why they can't build more housing. It's part of white housing so unaffordable.
Speaker 1: This was so much fun, So appreciate it. Thank you so much. Peter Goodman, global economic correspondent New York Times his new book How the World Ran Out of Everything, and then thanks to our Doug Krisner too. We really appreciate you coming to reading.
Speaker 2: You you're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm. Easter Listen on Apple car Play and and Broud Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: We continue with our summer reading pick number three, courtesy of our Business Week Weekend and Remote broadcast producer Sebastian Escobar, who says this next book truly puts into perspective the power humanity holds to radically advance or even destroy our future, and that the question now is not whether we should use these powers, but how best to use them.
Speaker 3: Sebastian's choice comes from Jamie Metzel, who's the author of Hacking Darwin, Genetic Engineering in the Future of Humanity and four other books. Jamie also served in the US National Security Council, State Department, and Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and with the United Nations in Cambodia.
Speaker 1: He was also a member of the World Health Organization Expert Advisory Committee on Human Genome Editing, and currently Jammie works as a Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council and founder and chair of the nonprofit on Shared World.
Speaker 3: The book that Sebastian picked is Jamie's latest It's a book that explores the ways humanity can utilize technology for building a better world or potentially cause more harm. The book super Convergence How the genetics, biotech, and AI revolutions will transform our lives, work, and world.
Speaker 6: So this book, in many ways, it's the culmination kind of my entire life, and I'm trying to ask the question is what do we do and how do we manage these two most fundamental transformations of our lives? And those two transformations are this is the moment, after three point eight billion years of life on Earth, that our one species has developed these two transformational superpowers, and that's we are creating novel intelligence and have developed the capacity to recast all of life.
Speaker 7: Including our own.
Speaker 6: And the one question that's going to determine whether our species thrives in the future or doesn't is whether we can use these new godlike superpowers wisely. And a Carol, you mentioned my last book, Hacking Darwin, was all about the future of human genetic engineering. And then I was, as you and I have discussed, deeply involved in issues of pandemic origins.
Speaker 10: I was a member of the World.
Speaker 6: Health Organization Expert Committee on Human Genome Mediting after the first Crisper babies were born, and so I definitely am deeply involved in the science of what these intersecting AI genetics and biotechnology revolutions mean. And then the applications healthcare, agriculture, manufacturing, data storage.
Speaker 10: And lots of other things. But then the question is, well, how do we do it?
Speaker 6: And so one is we need to be very cognizant of the dangers which are very real, and then we need to say what's the path forward, how do.
Speaker 10: We do this wisely?
Speaker 6: And what are the building blocks of getting to the place where we want to be, Because if we get this right, we can have much better healthcare, more abundant foods for everybody around.
Speaker 10: The world, and all kinds of wonderful things.
Speaker 6: And we get it wrong right, we can get sin bio pandemics, we can crash ecosystems, we can undermine our very humanity.
Speaker 10: And that's why I've written a book for everyone.
Speaker 6: I want people to take this book to the beach and be comfortable and having fun reading it on the beach.
Speaker 11: They go.
Speaker 6: That was a really easy read, but I actually learned a lot and it sparked a lot of meaningful conversations.
Speaker 1: I have to say that I have been watching though a video you did where you talked about the book. You're in San Jose, California. You're competing in an ultra marathon. It's raining. You talk about your hands getting dumb, you're sniffling because it's cold, it's raining.
Speaker 3: Are you walking and running?
Speaker 2: Jamie?
Speaker 3: Just to clarify it here, it looks like it looks like.
Speaker 6: I say, I am so honored that you are sharing this with your viewers. So for those of you who don't do ultra marathons, ultra marathons are hard. Ultra marathon is a race longer than a marathon. The ones that I do are fifty kilometers thirty thirty two mile races, and I do mountain trail runs. And I was in San Jose speaking at Sin Bio Beta, which is the big synthetic biology conference that my friend John Cumbers runs, and I thought, oh, this is gonna be easy, famous last words. I'm just gonna go the day before the conference and I'll run this race San Jose.
Speaker 10: The weather's perfect, How big could the hills be?
Speaker 6: So it turns out the hills were pretty big, and it turned out they had this uncharacteristic freezing like rainy, slushy storm. And it was like, I'm so much older than you guys, but you know what a three hour tour means.
Speaker 10: When you know this is gonna be easy. Island like a three It was a three hour tour.
Speaker 6: And so then I knew that I had somebody had asked me to record a video about the book. And I was walking up this hill at mile like thirty and it was kind of this.
Speaker 10: Straight up you know, I'm what can I do record?
Speaker 6: It's like, you're insane at those homes.
Speaker 10: I'm going to record to record a video about this book.
Speaker 3: That seems like a good idea.
Speaker 5: So I didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking about watching it and I was like it, Peel, you know, you know when you're out in nature, you said times for me, my brain opens up. I think differently, maybe more clearly, about some of the big ideas and trends and innovations, disruptions, whatever the heck you want to call them, that are coming at us big time. How do you cross nature with some of these dynamic trends that are coming us that will clearly test kind of natural evolutionary theory that is dominated for so long.
Speaker 6: This is why you're such a great journalist, Carol, to make such a smooth transition as that one.
Speaker 10: And what I'll say is the things that we.
Speaker 6: Call nature aren't natural.
Speaker 10: If you go to Whole Foods.
Speaker 6: And go to the fruits and vegetables section, you would be hard pressed to find a fruit or a vegetable that twenty thousand years ago existed in anything like its current form.
Speaker 10: Almost doesn't exist.
Speaker 6: Maybe there's one or two things if you like, when I was out hiking in San Jose, it seemed like nature because there were a lot of trees. But nay, if we mean by nature what it was like before humans changed everything, Like, no one went hiking just for fun because the saber toothed hiker will eat you if you do that. And so the thing that we call nature is just the world that our ancestors managed and manipulated like you're your dog. That your dog didn't exist fifty thousand years ago in this.
Speaker 10: In this format, and so what. And even if you are.
Speaker 6: The most indigenous farmer in the highlands of Peru ma it making growing quinoa from ancient varieties of seeds, you are a radical biotechnologist. Much more the difference between the precursors to our domesticated crops and our current non GMO corn and our current GMO corn. The difference between the precursors corn is way more than the minuscule difference between current corn and GMO. So the starting point for this has to be the choice that we are making as a species is not natural versus unnatural. It's how do we interact with the living world that we have been managing and manipulating for thousands of years and do so in the smartest, most economical, safest, most sustainable way to achieve the things that we want to achieve.
Speaker 10: And what are those things?
Speaker 6: Well, we don't want to die of terrible cancer.
Speaker 10: We want to have gene therapy.
Speaker 6: So somebody who's born with something like sickle cell disease rather than living a life of excruciating pain and then dying prematurely and live a normal life. We want to grow more crops on less land to feed more people.
Speaker 3: So, Jamie, my question for you is, after doing the research and reporting for this book in your other books, how do you live your life differently? What do you eat that's different? What do you do that's different than you used to do now that you found all this through research?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So you know, it's funny people ask me this a lot because I'm deeply involved in the world of, for example, the science of human life extension.
Speaker 10: And everyone says, oh, you must.
Speaker 6: Be taking the nad bus boosters and med foreman, and you must be like doing like the thing where they cut open the old and young mice and sew them together.
Speaker 7: You must be.
Speaker 10: Doing that with I don't know who, or your girlfriend or something, And I don't do any of that. What I do is a few things.
Speaker 6: One just in terms of my personal life. I exercise an hour a day and eat healthy and do all those blue zone things that everybody knows you're supposed to do and are hard to do. Certainly in my healthcare I try to get ahead of the curve because I write about the future of healthcare in the book, and where we're going is from our current world of healthcare based on population averages. You have a headache, and you go to CVS and you pick up a title and all to our new world of health care precision or personalized health care based on each person's individual biology. Because you know a small percentage of people who take a tile and I will have a terrible adverse reaction and could even die. And so better to know you're one of those people before you take the tile. And that's true for cancer therapies and all of that. So we're in that process, we're gaining a lot of information about systems biology, so the complexity of human biology.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 6: And then where that's the next shift in our healthcare, which is from precision to predictive and preventive. Where with all of this data and the formula for all of this stuff is the more high quality data you have, the more computing power, right, stronger algorithms, the more we're.
Speaker 10: Going to be able to decipher actionable patterns.
Speaker 6: That's going to change health care and industry and agriculture and everything.
Speaker 1: One thing I wanted to ask you the way the books starts, you have two quotes. But you say, this is from Stuart Brand, we are as gods and might as well get good at it. What's the message there? It feels pretty powerful.
Speaker 6: For millennia, our ancestors imagined these all powerful gods that could create new stuff, They could recast life, they could grant people's wishes to live extra life, they could transform the world around them. We can now do all of those things. So we are in many ways not and always in manaze. We are the all powerful gods that we have imagined in our past. And just like we've imagined those gods can build and destroy, we can build and destroy. And so now we have these superpowers, and the question is are we going to use them to build to make a better future for us individually, for our companies, for our countries, and for our world, and do it in really practical ways, or are we just going to not do what needs to be to not create the right frameworks and governance and values and accountability and all the things that are required to make sure this story has as happy of a process there's no ending process as possible. If we don't do those things, we're really going to be in trouble and That's why I've written the book. That's why I'm so passionate about bringing everybody into this conversation because it's in the early when you're doing anything, starting a company, That's when you need to say, hey, here's what we stand for, here are our values right, and then everything gets built on that. If we don't have a conversation of what we're trying to achieve, who we are, and what are the core values that are going to guide us. If we make this a conversation just about the technology itself, We're going to wind up in a very unfamiliar and most likely scary place.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I'm already scared because I question the moral values and ethics that I feel like people have really lost. I want to ask you, genetics, biotech, AI, what worries you the most that we could get wrong.
Speaker 6: There is a reason why anxiety has been preserved by evolution. Anxiety is actually a really healthy emotion for us and for every animal, because we're afraid of things, and that is what inspires us to say, Hey, this terrible thing could happen. I could be eaten by some horrible animal. So I'm going to start planning so that that doesn't happen, and so these fears that we have. I mean, there's some people who are just such techno optimists. They say, just do nothing in the future is going to be great. That is not true. Bad things could happen. We need to be honest now about what they are. A few of them that I highlight in the book. One, as I mentioned, I was a member of the World Health Organization Expert Advisory Committee on Human Genome and doctor Teddros the director of the who created that after the world's first crisper babies were born in China in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 10: That was a terrible violation.
Speaker 6: If we just say, hey, let's just do whatever willy nilly human experimentation, we're going to wind up with more Nuremberg Trial and those kinds of violations. We have the capacity to use gene drives, which is basically we put a little molecular scissors almost into the sex cells that pass between animals, and we could use it to wipe out mallarial mosquitoes, and that would be great.
Speaker 10: We could save a million lives per year.
Speaker 6: But we don't know how these full ecosystems work, and if we're not careful we could also crash whole ecosystems, not because we're trying to do harm, because we're trying to do good. And as you and I have talked about this before, Carol, but I've been in the middle for the last almost four and a half years of this debate about COVID nineteen origins, and it's my view that the preponderance of the available evidence suggests a research related origin in Wuhan. And it's very likely that these Chinese scientists who weren't trying to create bioweapons, but were most likely trying to create a pan coronavirus vaccine and had an accident and didn't realize what had happened, and then things got worse and worse. So it's not just that we're going to have doctor evil doing bad stuff.
Speaker 10: It could be that well intentioned people, people who are.
Speaker 6: Trying to prevent terrible diseases, or to stop malarial mosquitos, or all sorts of things. And that's why, again and again I keep going back to values.
Speaker 10: It's establishing the north star where are we heading?
Speaker 1: That makes us think about Tim and I talk a lot about AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Jamie, my question for you is where could AI go wrong and where what are the indications? And now about the direction that it's moving in.
Speaker 6: AI, Like, all of these technologies can be used for good or for ill, and we're seeing both of those things right now. We're seeing AI being applied in healthcare settings and agriculture and all these other areas in companies and it's helping solve real problems in very practical ways. And we're seeing deep fakes, manipulations, all kinds of of problems with AI.
Speaker 10: And these are just the early days.
Speaker 6: And right now when people think about AI, most people think, oh AI equals chat GPT, like, I'm going to go to this website and then I'm gonna do AI. But if I were to ask you, guys, how did electricity influence your life today, It's an unanswerable question because electricity it's in your alarm clock, it's in your house, it's in your air conditioning, it's in the microphone, it's in our clothes, it's in our haircuts. It's just electricity is part of everything that we do. And these technologies are going to be part of everything that we do, part of our accounting systems, our interacting systems, how we interact with the world how everything is made, and that's why we need to think systemically and systematically about about these these technologies. And there are some of these people say, oh, just no regulation. Yeah, government, get out of the way. That's the last thing we need. We need wise governance and whise regulation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everything. Well, my dad, you say everything in moderation. I know everybody's dad says that or mom says that, but it's also everything. Like you gotta have some oversight of all this stuff. Jamie, good luck, so much fun to catch up with you again. Thank you so much for finding time for us once again here at Bloomberg. Jamie, take care, be well.
Speaker 3: Good luck also in the future Ultra Marathon.
Speaker 1: I know he's pretty impressive. I love I highly recommend you check out that YouTube video because he really does go through so much of the book and like I said, it's raining, there's mud. Jamie is, of course, senior fellow at the Atlanta Council, founder and chair of the nonprofit One Shared World. Check out his new book, super Convergence, How the genetics, biotech and AI revolutions will transform our lives working world. It's coming out on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: He'd spend a few times with us during COVID. Yeah, came on talking because, as he mentioned, he looked very closely and has been looking very closely at their origins, so we had him on a few times sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: Has done a big piece on certainly his thinking. There so fun things.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business Ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven.
Speaker 1: Thirty plenty a head in our second hour of our weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. Our team summer reading list continues, including the book about the individual who left a cult and her family, made her way on Wall Street when it wasn't so easy for a woman, and earned a nickname along the way.
Speaker 3: Also from Colonel Sanders and mel Brooks and Norman Lear to Carol Channing, Rita Moreno and Henri Matisse, The Rock to Genarians that are rocking their later years, and Carol's pick no surprise as the sailor of the group, her selection sailing alone, A surprising history of Isolation and Survival at Sea.
Speaker 1: First up this hour, though, let's get to the fourth book on our summer reading list, This one from our YouTube producer Elizabeth Sedrin, who says Patricia Walsh Chadwick had a compelling story of leaving a cult and then climbing the corporate investment ladder, and that she had a smart perspective on investment cycles while not leaning into girl boss rhetoric. Sounds like, Elizabeth, well, we've got your attention right. Chadwick started as a receptionist at a brokerage firm at the age of nineteen, and thirty years later was named a global partner at Invesco. Needless to say, she's seen a lot of eras and cycles on Wall Street. It's in her book Breaking Glass Tales from the Witch of Wall Street. Here's Patricia Walls Chadwick with her story.
Speaker 11: I did not know I was called the Witch of Wall Street until five years ago, and I was bit serious. I am serious. It was my seventieth birthday party, I don't mind saying that. And there was a woman who said she had met meate in nineteen eighty five. I remembered it well, and she was with Bear Stearns, and she told me that she was told by the institut of Institutional Sales. We have a very big, important count at City Bank. One woman runs a lot of the money there. But we have a problem. The men are afraid of her. These are the institutional salespeople. Because apparently I was fairly demanding, but that was my job. So she said, I had heard of this woman, but I had never met her, and all I knew was on the trading floor. They called her the Witch of Wall Street. And I was oblivious, and I only heard that five years ago. Been out of Wall Street for a long time. I was shocked, I really was. And then I thought about it for a while and I thought, okay, so maybe I did break some china along the way, and maybe some of the characteristics that might get a man called the Wolf of Wall Street, you know, aggressiveness and demanding get a woman called the Witch of Wall Street. And I decided that I would embrace it rather than run away from it.
Speaker 3: So you're owning it.
Speaker 11: I own it. I own it.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, did bother you or like, like when you think back and you just it's interesting because we have a lot of conversations about aggression from a man versus a woman, and COURSEU I still have it that can often be respected versus a is you know, not a witch but another word that rhymes me vercisely. I'm just I'm trying to understand. So take us like I don't know. First of all, that era, like go back, it was a different Wall Street.
Speaker 11: It was a very different Wall Street, and there were very few women who would really come in power. And that's why the title is breaking glass. I mean, I don't talk about shattering glass or anything, but you get to a certain point and then you were able to break through it, and a lot of women aren't. I think women are treated more difficultly in terms of promotions because I think everything looks like a return on investment, and it's how much do we want to invest in her if she's not going to stay, and not going to stay generally means a chance, yes, precisely, And so I think women have to understand and accept that reality and just be even more aggressive. And I don't say that derogatorily. You've just got to be there. You've got to play the hard game if you're going to be in it for the long haul.
Speaker 1: Did you have kids?
Speaker 11: I did. I was forty five when I had my twins. Wow, so I had had quite a long haul, and there was I'll tell you, honestly, there was a time when I wondered whether I could be a good businesswoman, a good wife and a good mother simultaneously. And then when I had them, and it was wonderful for about six years. But very truthfully, I think an important story in my book is that we were on vacation and our children were five years old, and we were on the beach and my husband came home one day with them and he said, sweetheart, we're on the beach swimming and you're on conference calls. And I thought about that overnight and I woke up the next morning and I said, honey, I'm going to retire. And I retired at the age of fifty one. It was a big step to take, but in my mind, it was the right one for me, it was the right one for our family and what I did, and I ultimately had another.
Speaker 3: Well, I was going to say, you didn't really retire, like you know, this is not your first book, and you were also, you know, global partner at Invesco, and certainly in a second career as a member of many corporate boards.
Speaker 11: I did corporate boards and I did expert witness work, so yes, but it allowed me to do what I did want it to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I didn't want my children being raised by nannies, and so you know, I accept the fact, and I think most women have to accept the fact you're going to have some more difficult choices than like leet men are.
Speaker 3: Was it the right move to retire at fifty one for me?
Speaker 11: Absolutely? I don't look back with any regret on it at all.
Speaker 3: Would you have if you were to do it again, retired earlier if you could have?
Speaker 11: No, I think the time my children were twins and they were fifth grade going into kindergarten, perfect time. I don't have to make all the play dates when two and three and four, right, but I did want to be there to answer the questions when they were getting older, So for me, it was perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because Tim and I have had this conversation because he's back. Well now it's over a year, almost a year now, almost a year. That took it paternally, you know, like a real leave, not like six months six months, which is unheard of. Which is incredible that our company does.
Speaker 11: I was going to say that credit to Bloomberg. That was fantastic.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic, and I think it It's also changed a lot just in recent years. I mean, I wasn't at Bloomberg when I had my first kid, but I got two weeks off at that point and it just makes such a difference for when you raised ef.
Speaker 1: But what like the con we can be real and yeah, be real.
Speaker 3: I've talked about a lot. I don't know where we talked about.
Speaker 1: The study, No, but the point of that we need men to take that six months so that it kind of evens the playing field, if you will. Right of that, I'm not you know, the female isn't necessarily the only one that disappears from the workforce for six months or what have you. That it's good to see both parents doing it.
Speaker 11: It's something that has not done very much in our business the world of finance and investing, but it's done much more in Europe and I think we can learn from them. Take us back though, to your first job on Wall Street. I was nineteen years old and I have been given the job, you know, our harder job for ninety dollars a week, and all I was so proud of myself forgetting I askaw.
Speaker 1: What year this was.
Speaker 11: This was nineteen sixty eight. Okay, okay, but it was more than the minimum wage. So I was very proud of that, and all I wanted to be was the best receptionist in the world. Six months later, George, who is one of my mentors. My book is dedicated to my mentors, he brought me into his office and he said, we're going to give you a raise from ninety dollars a week to one hundred and I did my quick arithmetic and went, well, that's eleven percent, but that's in six months, so that's really twenty two percent.
Speaker 1: And I felt so empowered.
Speaker 11: And then two months later, it was Christmas time and he called me in and he said, we're very pleased with your work, and we're going to give you a fifteen hundred dollar bonus. It was like a third of my salary. I started investing and that was about the first thing. Literally less than a year later, he sent me to New York to close a deal. I didn't know what a deal was. I got into New York, I had a limousine that took me around to five places. I collected five checks each for a million dollars, went back to Boston, presented them to him. He and his partner took me out to dinner at the Ritz Carlton, and that night I lay in bed and said, hmm, I wonder if I might ever have a job like there someday. So it was from lowly beginnings, but I think the kind of the message of my book is be adaptable, learn put your hand up all the time, and little by little, when you are adaptable, you'll become more confident. When you more confident, you'll be successful. And it's not a very complicated story.
Speaker 3: So Patricia, that's exactly where I want to start, is the beginning. And I'm not talking about nineteen years old and your job as a receptionist. I'm talking about early on. And because you have an interesting story that I think would surprise a lot of people.
Speaker 11: Yes, and that story was my first book. It was called Little Sister. I was born into a religious community in all of all places, Cambridge, Massachusetts, so part of the real involved world, a group of highly intelligent, highly educated people at all Catholics, and they were under the auspices of a priest named Father Leonard Feenie Jesuit and a woman named Catherine Clark who created the entity, which was really for Catholics at Harvard and Radcliffe and other schools to have an opportunity to meet and talk about their own religion. And during the war World War two, that is, it was very very popular, and after the war, when all the veterans were coming back, father feene was the most popular lecturer in the world. My parents met there. My father had been a naval officer during World War two. He was getting his graduate degree in philosophy at Boston College and my mother was twelve years younger and she was a brand new eighteen year old convert to Catholicism. They met, they got married a year later I was born. But under Father Feenie's influence, the organization became very very doctrinaire about you had to be Catholic to be saved. And it was at the time that a humanism was spreading, and the idea was religions should all get together, and you know, they all worshiped in one way or another, and let's not you know, say that we have battlegrounds. But that was not the way they took it, and so pretty soon they were not. Father Feenie was no longer allowed to practice as a Catholic priest. My parents stayed with him. In a way. That was the only world I knew. And there were sixty adults. Among that were twelve married couples, and then thirty nine children came along. I was one of the oldest, and all of a sudden things really started to change. We had a number of houses in Cambridge and they built a big red stockade fence, so now the whole world was shut out. It was like a compound, a compound, absolutely, And then when I was six, the children were separated from the parents, and then the parents were arm twisted seriously to take vows of celibacy. And my father said, absolutely not, and Father Feenie came back to him and back to him, and finally Father Feenie said to him, you are the only you couple. You are the one couple, the only hold out of the twelve. They well, they had to do it. They really wanted us to have a very Catholic education. Years later, one of the other children told me his parents told him the very same story. So it had been this divide and conquer right, and now the children were not being brought up by the parents. The parents were not able to be together, and it was a monastic environment, silence most of the day. We're not allowed to address our parents, speak to them at all, and so people say, why did they do that? And all of that. That was their decision. But my father used to break the rules, and breaking the rules to me was what told me that he loved me. And the fact of the matter is I never blamed my parents. Somehow, I think I was a bright little girl, but somehow I blamed Catherine Clark, whom we called Sister Catherine, and Leonard Feeney for separating my parents. And I never thought of it as a cult. You will not see the book word cult in my first book. It was my home. It was my daughter her when she was twenty years old and came home from college and she said, Mom, I have two things to tell you. Then what was that? And she said, first, you have to stop everything until you finish this book. And then she said, and you have to accept the fact that you grew up in a cult. I never thought of it that way. It was my home and I loved it in many ways. But ultimately I accept the fact that it was a cult. And then when I was about fourteen or fifteen, I started having crushes on boys. Now that was not going to keep me in the community. Sister Catherine wanted every one of the children to grow up remain celibate for life. I would be a bride of Christ. But I have these dreams of a prince coming into the garden and sweeping me off, and you know, we will go off and live in a castle and have lots of children up that I knew how any of that would happen. And the next thing I knew, she kicked me out. No opportunity to come back.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you were kicked out?
Speaker 11: Seventeen? I just graduated from high school, schooled within our own community. I'd never seen a television show, never read a newspaper, never been to a grocery store, never had held a dollar bill. We'll go. So I had been accepted at two colleges because they needed the school to be accredited, and I was a good student, and I got into Vassar and I got into Bates, where my father had gone. She made me write a letter saying that I wasn't coming. She said it would be the I would lose my soul if I went to college. So she allowed me to go to a secretarial school so that I could get the necessary skills to be able to earn my own living. And my first place to live was at a room in the YWCA in a not very fashionable section of Boston.
Speaker 1: How does something like that? You seem pretty normal? But I don't even know what normal is anymore. But you know what I mean, And you've done really well, and I just wonder, though, what if that still stays with you or impacted you as you, you know, out into the world.
Speaker 3: And also raised your own family.
Speaker 11: Yes, oh yes, I look back on my life. I know it was very abnormal and very strange, but I look back and I wouldn't change anything. I'm not saying I wouldn't have had more time with my parents, of course I wouldn't. But I think the way one's path goes in life ultimately leads you to where you are happily married, two children, who one of them is now engaged. I mean they're thirty years old now, they're young adults, and I just think sometimes you're given the ability to, you know, get over the things that aren't good and find the best in them. Sister Kavin herself was never a mentor to me, but I believe she was a role model. This was a woman who ran a community of one hundred people. Not one man pushed back on her, not one woman pushed back on her. And I think when I got into that doggy dog world of Wall Street, subliminally, in the back of my mind, my only model was someone who ran things and was a woman, right, And I think I just learned, Okay, that's what I got to do. I'm gonna do this. I never thought I can't do that because I'm a woman. So I have to give her a little credit.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's the perfect segue to getting from your first job or your first role to one where you moved to the business side. You said you lay awake at night wondering how you could become one of those deals people.
Speaker 11: So how did you do that?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 11: It was little baby steps. Let me tell you. One of the first things I did was I, by the age twenty one, I became a stockbroker. I didn't end up getting customers. I just thought I can do that. Then I memorized I had to do those s and p tear sheets. You're both way too young to know what they are.
Speaker 1: But I tickers are to memorize tickers.
Speaker 11: I memorized every ticker on the New York Stock Exchange, and I would go into the trading room and I would give myself tests, and I just found the whole thing so exciting. And by the time I moved to Philadelphia with my best girlfriend, I was becoming an assistant to the analysts. And the one thing I said of them, there were six men that I was reporting to. I said, listen, I don't want to just put numbers on a piece of paper for you. I want to learn what those numbers mean. And I want you to promise me that you'll answer all the questions I have. I was ready to walk away from that job if they had said, no, we just want you to give us the numbers. They kept their words, every one of them, and I walked away After two years. I wasn't even twenty five yet, and I understood how the trucking industry worked, and at the airline industry and the insurance industry, and so from there it was just a little step bigger till I became an analyst.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like you have this incredible story, and understanding that story is an important part of you. But understanding I think we feel that way like investment stories, Like understanding the story or the fundamentals or what something really is rather than just a sheet of numbers. Right, and understanding absolutely. Thirty seconds left. What would you like to share with our audience?
Speaker 11: Well? I do think for young people and I love mentoring. It's important to have mentors in your life. It is also really important to be adaptable. I think let's put your hand up, say yes, ask someone for help, don't be afraid to and you'll find little by little the first time it's hard, and then you have more confidence, and then you build up your own resilience. And I think everyone should have a mentor. There's no such thing as a bad mentor. They're either a mentor or they're not.
Speaker 1: If you were starting today fifteen seconds left, would you still go to Wall Street? Do you think?
Speaker 11: I love it? So?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 11: I end checking to see if like you're feeling about and I think it can be a great place for women. It really can.
Speaker 1: All right, love it? Promise you'll come back when the paperback comes us or even sooner, or even or even sooner what an amazing tale. Has Netflix called and said we need to make this into a series.
Speaker 11: There been little talks of I would watch last year, all right.
Speaker 1: Patricia Walsh Chadwick, a former global partner in Vesco her book Breaking Glass Tails from the Witch of Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm. Easter Listen on Apple car.
Speaker 5: Play and and Broud Auto with a Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Now to our fifth pick on our summer reading list, Our team Summer reading List from the producer of our daily Bloomberg BusinessWeek broadcast and podcast, Paul Brennan, who says, as someone who is later in his life and waiting for his own triumph to come, Paul was inspired by Moe's profiles and and he mentioned of his hero, Paul's hero mel brooks, it's a plus.
Speaker 3: And by Moe he means Mo. Roca, a correspondent for CBS Sunday Morning, a frequent panelist on NPR's weight Wait Don't Tell Me, and the host en realtor of the Cooking Channels My Grandmother's Ravioli. Also, he spent years earlier in his career as a correspondent on The Daily Show as well as on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does a lot, man. His perspective's a lot of fun too. Morocca is also the New York Times bestselling author of obituaries Great Lives Worth Reliving, a companion to his podcast of the same name. His new book out just recently, Rockagenarians, Late in Life, Debuts, comebacks and triumphs.
Speaker 12: It was my first job and it is the toolbox I keep going back to all the time. Honestly, I don't want to sound too grand about it talking about being a storyteller, but really that job was storytelling boot camp because we a very small writing staff, had to take classic novels and break them down into half hour episodes as seen through the eyes of a Jack Russell Terrier, a dog for kids between the ages of six and eleven. It was like a writing assignment devised by an English professor on acid, and it was just the best way to learn. And you know, my boss there, she gave me some real tough love because I sort of thought.
Speaker 10: Oh, I don't really know what I'm doing.
Speaker 12: And so my scripts were kind of half baked, and she said, you just had to figure this out. And she took a couple of books on really screenwriting, and she just threw them down on my desk. At one point she said, figure it out because this is a great opportunity. And it was a great opportunity. In part peak is six to eleven year olds. You can't fool them. And so you can't just write a lazy script with characters just kind of talking to each other. It has to be really lean and dynamic, and the action has to keep moving forward or they'll lose interest. So it was a really great audience to have to write for.
Speaker 1: What is it about getting snapshots of you know, people's lives, you know individuals, great works, as you did with Wishbone. What is it about kind of like telling vignettes that you love doing Because you do this, it's obviously in this book.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's sort of the same thing that drew me to obituaries, which were kind which was a subject of my last book and podcast. A good obituary is about someone's life, not their death. And I love a good life style.
Speaker 1: Love reading obituaries, especially yeah, but go ahead.
Speaker 12: No, because a good obituary is sort of like the trailer for an Oscar winning biopic. It has a sweep, a drama, romance, the highs, the lows, the triumphs and tragedies. And my father was a real romantic and a very optimistic, very boyant, and so he loved to read. Growing up in the Washington, DC area when there were two daily papers, he just he would say, oh boy, the oh It's just my favorite section of the paper. So I just love a person's story.
Speaker 7: It's hard.
Speaker 12: I'm not sure how was to put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, do they also though, teach us about how we want to live our lives completely completely.
Speaker 12: I mean there are times that I've been a competitive oh bit writer, Like you're sort of reading an oh bit and then you go, oh my god, he did all that by the time he was twenty five.
Speaker 3: Right, not to make it all about the person who's not dead, but.
Speaker 12: Right, I know, but it's hard to not to sometimes and then you're like, oh my god, he went to prison at thirty five.
Speaker 11: I'm doing fine.
Speaker 7: There's this metric going.
Speaker 12: But I mean, in this case, I mean, my co author and I wanted to tell stories of people who accomplished great things late in life. Because obviously old age, advanced age is very much in the news, a very hot topic, not just in politics, but as the population ages.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's I would say for myself, like I think as I've gotten older, history in general is interesting, but also I think about the older folks that have been in my lives, like I love hearing about their stories and kind of what they had to go through. Having said that, sometimes having it's the folks that you write about. Sometimes it's their first chapter, sometimes it's the second chapter, sometimes it's the third chapter. Kind of talk to us a little bit about that, right, it's not sometimes their first.
Speaker 12: Act, right, or sometimes it is, well exactly, it's a variety. It's I mean, it's debuts, comebacks, and sort of it's capstones a lot of architects. It's one of these amazing things that architects just keep getting better and better. And I think there are a couple of practical reasons. If you're doing a commission for a big, expensive building, you want somebody with experience, right, You don't want necessary probably don't want a young starter architect, and more architects of advanced age also are likely to have a staff doing a lot of the grant work by that point. But all of these people have in common that they don't accept this very strange, pervasive and kind of insidious message that your third act of life is a time to kind of wind things down. Sure where that came from. And also, I mean, we're going to continue living longer and longer. I mean, if we're fortunate and have good health, decent healthcare. There are also people that don't look backwards. They're very in it. So they're not doing victory laps. They're not sitting at home playing highlight reels of their great achievements. And that's okay if you want to do that, if you know, if you want to do that and hang out and just reminisce. But that's not what these people in this book do.
Speaker 3: I want to get to some of the stories in just a few minutes, but before we do that, talk a little bit about the organization of the book, because it reads in a really interesting way.
Speaker 12: I have learned from the best At CBS Sunday Morning, which is a forty five year old arts and culture show on CBS, my executive producer Rand Morrison believes very much in mix show mix, like you have to, and part of that is surprises. So you go from I'm proud that the book includes Henri Matisse and Clara Peller that wears the beef Lady and a tortoise.
Speaker 3: Mister you're gonna get to mister racical.
Speaker 12: We had to get to miss the first time Fouther at ninety take that al Pacino. But like, but, but, but so mix is very important. I think everything I think when you turn the page, you want to be. I mean, I'm big into delight, like you know my ovid. I would just wanted to be like Morocca, who delighted audience has died today. He was one hundred and sixteen. But like that's a big part of it. So it's not chronological. We just we just wanted it to have a decent mix so that you know, it's I almost to give it in terms of protein and carbs. Like some stories have import and kind of grandeur, like married church Terrelle the civil rights leader at the age of eighty six, led sittings segregated, watching DC lunch counters. But that's a good like filling, nutritious, I mean, really story and then you want something just kind of busy and fund Carol Channing Finding Love at eighty two.
Speaker 1: It is fascinating. There's just so many different names. There are names people will definitely know, there are names that people might not. How did you go about figuring out who you wanted to include?
Speaker 12: Well, I didn't want to go I hate to start with what I didn't want to do, but I didn't want to go to entertainment heavy. There are actors Rita Moreno whom I've interviewed before, and who's a pistol, who is really a pistol? I mean, she's amazing at ninety two, Morgan Freeman, because I love the Electric Company and they both were on it and they kind of have intertwined lives. By law, we had to include at least one golden girl. I think we would have been arrested if we didn't. And Estelle Getty was the story to tell because she made her television debut at sixty two really after a life of kind of raising her family and doing every little bit off off off Broadway theater she could, So, I mean, it just seemed right that she should have this amazing, iconic role at the end. But we wanted to make sure that there was a real range of people. So one of the things I'm interested is sort of people who are obviously respected but kind of famous in sort of sub worlds, if you will. So I called my friend Scott Erlik, whose family worked in wine making for many years, and I said, who is someone in the wine making world that's just remarkable for his longevity And he's without skipping a beat, he said, Mark Kurkic is the guy. A Croatian immigrant, an immigrant from most than Yugoslavia, and he was alive at the time. He only died last year, right before our publication, so he was active up until the age of one hundred. And I love the fact that he was really the reason this amazing immigrant story that American specifically California wines when you know, became contenders the Judgment of Paris in nineteen seventy six, when American wines and French wines were competed against each other in a blind taste test in Paris organized by kind of a wag of a British promoter who expected it to be a runaway French victory, and both the red and white Americans. The white from Gurkitch's Winery One shocked the world to change the world of wine.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 12: And I just loved his story and uh and he's somebody who had persevered throughout his life but enlightened to his life bringing wine making in a very elevated way back to his homeland of Croatia. So it had a beautiful full circle.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You also stumble on names when you're reading the book and you say, wait a second. I've always seen a Roget's thesaurus on a bookshelf or as a college student. I had no idea. There was a guy named Rose and he was old when he wrote it.
Speaker 12: He was he was and I keyed into him because I love making lists myself. And you know, I know the capital every country in the world, and I used to do strange things.
Speaker 3: Don't make us quizy, I know, I know.
Speaker 11: Please where do I go?
Speaker 12: Where do we don't throw out a random country name? Please don't do that. Okay, she's she's thinking Brunei and the capital's bandar seri bega want so off?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 12: And Tim, now you ask what's the capital? And Jibouti, Jibouti, the capital jibutis JIBOUTI trick question, right, that's ok that's okay, But okay, I used to do make crazy lists and like I used to waterways near state capitals.
Speaker 3: That's one.
Speaker 12: But anyway, Peter Mark Roge did the same thing as a child, I think for different reasons. I did it because I was just maybe sort of curious and strange, which are synonyms, right, And he did. He had a lot of tragedy and his like personal loss, and one of his biographers believe it was a way of coping. But he returned to these lists that he had been working on at the age of seventy three and published The Rogestosaurus, and until the age of ninety he kept refining it and working on it. But and so that's sort of an unfinished business, which is something I like. A lot of these stories are people in a sense returning to childhood in more obvious ways, with Frank McCord and lore Ingles Wilder, who brought us to the Little House books by writing about their quite literal childhoods. But then people like the concert pianist Ruts Lenchinska. As a child, she was called the Shirley Temple of classical music, and this is a woman who at the age of nine, she had subbed for Rochman and Off Okay, and I interviewed her when she was ninety seven pace she had an album come out. I interviewed it for CBS. But what I found was a woman who had been really tormented by her father as a child prodigy and had the piano was a punishment, and she was just so enormously talented, and he was brutal to her. She literally was not allowed to play with dolls or go outside and play with other kids. And much later in life she returned to the piano on her own terms and learned to love it for the sake of itself. And I've found that so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that there's no easy segue here, but the founding fathers of comedy. I mean, we have some guys who have been making us laugh for decades. Yeah, and I know some have passed away, and I think about Norman Leear, but you dig into what they doing.
Speaker 12: Well, Norman Lear, mel Brooks and Carl Reiner, who were all good friends. And I got to know Norman moderately well, I would say he was a friend. By the end of his life, and together. When you think of their body of work, they are largely responsible for at least a big part of what we actually laugh at. I mean, Carl Reiner with the Dick Van Dyke Show really did help create the modern situation comedy. And you know, and then Norman Lear made sure that it actually said something. And this is an undeniably culturally Jewish thing and that needs to be celebrated and acknowledged for what they did and what they have given us. So much of what we laugh at and think is funny comes from them. I mean, it's it's pretty remarkable. And you know, mel Brooks is still going. Mel Brooks is very different than the other two because I think mel Brooks there was a grumpy about him. A lot of what drove him was anger at injustice, at the horrors of the Holocaust. I mean, making fun of Hitler, knocking him off his pedestal was a real driving force of what behind what Melbrooks.
Speaker 5: Did for example.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yep, it's really remarkable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to ask you about those who misspent their old age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a whole chapter here about folks that some of whom are household names, some aren't, who misspent their their old age. One of those you argue is Rudy Giuliani.
Speaker 12: Rudy Giuliani, you know, this chapter is comprised of people that you think all you had to do is do nothing. Just enjoy the laurels, take those victory laps, just you know, first, second, and finally just do no harm. And Rudy Giuliani, there's certainly his mayoralty can be addressed, but I don't think it's debatable that the city was on it in key measures better off once he finished his mayor than it was at the beginning. You know, I think when he became Person of the Year for Time, it wasn't just an acknowledgment for how he handled the aftermath of nine to eleven. I think it was also for how he had shown that a city could be governed, which is something that had been in some doubt. I think that a city like New York could be governed. And then his behavior since then, and with the twenty twenty election and the Georgia election workers and there's a reason he is bankrupt. I don't know if he's legally bankrupt. You can correct me on that. If he's declared bankruptcy but.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff still going on in terms of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he really could have just done nothing and been okay, how about.
Speaker 1: Okay, We've just got about a minute or so left here. I mean, going through this and all the reporting you've done as a journalist and these stories, like, does any of it make you think differently about how you want to live?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 12: And I think this is happening anyway. One of the unexpected things of getting older. I'm fifty five now is that I'm actually and I'm happy to report fretting less about the future, which I think would I didn't expect that to happen. I think I would think that the less time you have on the other side had the more you'd fred I'm not, and I think that that's a characteristic of a lot of these people. So I'm a little freer to act. And I think in a way it's you might as well act now because people's memories are short, and when you're gone, your children, your loved ones will remember you, hopefully for at least a little bit of time. Like, but you might as well act now, enjoylight and be in the present because it goes by quickly.
Speaker 1: No, you're right being the present and don't be afraid to do new things right even as you get older.
Speaker 12: And I'm also trying to speak more deliberately in sentences that can be diagrammed instead of just run on crazy sentences where I'm just filling.
Speaker 3: Space before we let you go.
Speaker 12: Capital of Slovenia, lib Dianya.
Speaker 3: Just making sure that.
Speaker 12: Said just sounded like a made episode.
Speaker 1: Just keep it, just keeping you on on us here we might be emailing.
Speaker 11: It was just more questions.
Speaker 12: I was actually just slurring, but okay, well.
Speaker 1: Raka, thank you so much. Inspiring and really thoughtful and just fun to read. Roctagenarians with Jonathan Greenberg, Late in life, debuts, comebacks and tribes. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple car.
Speaker 5: Play and and Brout Auto with a Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim, We're going to continue with our summer reading list. This is our final pick, pick number six. And I got to say, for me, it was pretty easy. When we started talking about doing this project, I'm like, uh was first of all to be fair, we talked to a lot of great authors. Our producer, Paul Brennan really books us with some really great guests, as you can see in the previous segments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think this one actually came courtesy of you, right, No, uh, maybe it was Paul. He realized you're a sailor. He did, He knows you're.
Speaker 1: It was like a gift to me because.
Speaker 3: It was a gift to you. Books was fantastic.
Speaker 1: He gave the book to me early on. He's like, you gotta look at this one. My husband and I are sailors. We have been for over thirty years. We love love being out on the water with no one around us. For what seems like miles or like last summer, we were pretty alone, only boat out there except for Humpback, which popped up at our bow and then entertained us with breeches and tail smacks and like waving you know, one of his dorsal fins or I forget what finn that is off our stern for over an hour is pretty pretty amazing. But I will say for the most part, when we are out sailing, we're in sight or just off the coast. The coastline and land is often insight for us. We have not done serious offshore sailing across an ocean alone, something that we know many others.
Speaker 3: Have done yet, is what I said.
Speaker 1: That's what my husband says, not yet.
Speaker 3: Well, Richard King surely did. He's visiting professor in Maritime History and Literature with the Sea Education Association. He crossed the Atlantic in his twenty eight foot sloop he calls Fox. He wrote all about his treacherous journey in his new book, It's also Carol's Pick, Sailing Alone, A Surprising History of Isolation and Survival. Let's see, I.
Speaker 13: Sailed by myself in two thousand and seven across the Atlantic, and I definitely don't see myself as a super sailor. You know, it was a little bit of a bungling affair, and in some ways, going out of side of land, you know, off the coast is easier, right, you know, there's less to hit and less to take keep track of.
Speaker 14: But I did it for a couple of.
Speaker 13: Different reasons, and that was one of the things that I explore in this book. You know, I'm really telling the history of people that have gone to see by themselves and crossed ocean by themselves since at least the early seventeen hundreds and all the way up to today, and so I was trying to explore like why did people go, why would they go? And then also what they say all out there, just like you did in that intro care of like what is it like to be out at sea by yourself on a quiet boat, really close to the surface day after day.
Speaker 14: And really getting that connection to the ocean world.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that the book about you know, why they go, what they see? So when you took your trip across the Atlantic on Fox, your twenty eight foot sloop, what did you or what why did you go specifically and what did you see?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I went.
Speaker 13: I was in graduate school at the time, and I studied literature at the sea. I'm actually more of a scholar than you know, a sailor, and I'd spend so much time reading about these experiences and I was like, you.
Speaker 14: Know, maybe maybe I could do that, and.
Speaker 13: So I put I'm really proud of sort of the logistics of the boys, not necessarily the execution, but I didn't make it. And you know, some of the things that I saw out there was just a really close connection with some of the seabirds, particularly storm petrels.
Speaker 14: I had one moment which.
Speaker 13: I you know, many of the listeners will sort of connect with where I was fishing off the back of the boat and I saw a fin coming behind me, a really large dorsal fin, and I kind of freaked out. I was like, oh, my gosh, Jaws is going to like leap right on top of the boat and you know, eat me up.
Speaker 14: And you know, I.
Speaker 13: Quickly went down below and I took pictures and I grabbed my boat hook as if I was going to you know, stab it.
Speaker 14: In the eye or something like that.
Speaker 13: And then later when I look at the pictures, I realized it was this tiny little fin.
Speaker 14: It probably wasn't even the shark. It might have been like a pilot whale or something.
Speaker 13: But you know, you just really get that sort of intense connection, particularly the nights at sea and the sunrises and sunsets, and it's you know, it's a rare, privileged experience.
Speaker 3: Really, maybe because I'm an anxious New Yorker. I'm just wondering about the anxiety of being out there. It's so it's so I know it's cam but well, there's this feeling that I have. I'm not a sailor. I've sailed before, but I would not consider myself a sailor of not being in control of when you can get back on land, and that part of this totally freaks me out.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 3: Were there any moments out there that you just found yourself terrified, like when.
Speaker 1: The engine died on that trip across the Atlantic?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Tim, totally.
Speaker 13: I would say ninety percent of the time I was an anxious wreck and my people are also from New York.
Speaker 14: I have that stream.
Speaker 13: Okay, you know, I think, and that's really the book is really about some of these great sailors who have gotten over that first anxious experience.
Speaker 14: I kind of never did.
Speaker 13: I did my first trip across the Atlantic, and then afterwards I was like, Okay, I think, I think I'm good, but I do kind of wish that I had continued on because you look at some of the really extraordinary historical sailors Bernard Martissier, Robin Knox, Johnson, Ellen MacArthur, even you know the early ones like Joshua Slogan who got over those initial and anxious moments and then were able to carry on and really be calm and really.
Speaker 14: Enjoy themselves at sea.
Speaker 13: And often that's when you know, these sailors really got these experiences in the natural world where they could finally relax and not have to worry so much about you know, this thing breaking or.
Speaker 1: There's something always breaking on a boat. You know that it's always breaking. Well, what's the joke. They say, it's like hours and hours of boredom broken up by you know, minutes or seconds of just sheer, terror and chaos. And that's kind of sailing, right, because it's really quiet out there, and then you have to go into harbor and you have to dock, and it's like there's always something that's going to go wrong.
Speaker 13: That's right, and you know, for a big part for solo sailers, trying to steer the boat and trying to get rest is a big part of it. And so one of the things I talked about in the book is sort of the development of various technologies that have made it a little bit easier for solo sailers, whether it's GPS or fiberglass or the marine engine, but self steering mechanisms, whether they're wind based or electrical, have made a huge difference.
Speaker 1: You had a wind.
Speaker 14: But even in my kid.
Speaker 1: Did you have a wind vane that's what you used right to go across.
Speaker 14: That's right. I had two different types of steering.
Speaker 13: I had a wind vane self steering, which you know doesn't require any power or any fuel, and that is about the most magical device on the planet. I was developed sort of, you know, in the a nineteen fifties and sixties for recreational boats, and that was just amazing. But that requires that's based on relative winds. So if you want to sleep for two hours and you got up, the boat is adjusting itself based on an angle of the wind. So if the wind shifts, your boat is going to change.
Speaker 14: And then I also had a little electrical tour pilot. You could say to a compass.
Speaker 3: Point, I'm curious about the reasons behind this and how not necessarily yours, which I want to get to, but the way that they've shifted over time, because as you mentioned in the seventeen hundreds, a lot of this was exploration. It was in search of riches, it was in search of you know, at that point, not necessarily new lands, but sort of right, the great exploration of the seas of the Earth.
Speaker 14: But these days.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is about recreation, and it's about sort of personal challenges, and I'm wondering how you can characterize the evolution of why someone would do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, No, that's a great point, and that's it's only something I sort of trade through going over time, because you know that the whole idea that going sailing by yourself across an ocean, that that isn't completely just a banana's idiotic kind of thing. That this idea that over time people start to respect that is a sort of interesting transition.
Speaker 14: And you do see sort of blips.
Speaker 13: You know, everybody is different, and everybody's complex about whether they're escaping a family situation or they are trying to make money or they're trying to make fame for themselves.
Speaker 14: But you do see sort.
Speaker 13: Of these sort of blips of where there's more recreational sailing and then even more solo sailing. One of these blips is right after World War Two, and I focus the book a lot sort of frame it on Ann Davidson, who's the first woman that we know of to sail alone across an ocean, and she sales in nineteen fifty two, and she's part of this whole surge of people from Europe, from North America, from all around the world that really are going out to the ocean and seeking that sort of respite, that sort of perception that the ocean is a clean, unhampered space, particularly after the trauma of World War Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty fascinating right to kind of hear what they sought out right to help them through it. I want to go back to something you said earlier, and that was I think the first solo circumnavigator or who was actually let me let you pick the story that you just were really drawn to. Because there's older folks, folks a long time ago. There's teenagers, which I'm always blown away by someone who's a teenager who gets in a book and their parents are in a boat and their parents are like yet gofort I think about there's a Netflix movie just on Jessica Watson, an Australian teenager, and it's kind of wild.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Jessica Watson is fantastic. And I think one of the things that I talk a lot about in the book is this relationship between being a writer because going to see you know, maybe even for you Caroly the when you go out just for an afternoon or for a day, it's a literary endeavor.
Speaker 14: You're keeping a log book, maybe you're writing a note, you're writing a letter, you're reading about others.
Speaker 13: Sailers, and so it's this very sort of almost all of these people that are going selling alone are also thinking about it artistically, and some of them are thinking about writing a book even before they've they've left. And so someone like Bernard Martissier, who in the nineteen sixties was the first to sail solo NonStop around the world one and a half times around the world in the late sixties, and he for him, from the very start, it was about making a book about crafting this work of nature writing, not even as much about the expedition itself.
Speaker 14: It was like as if Threau, you know, was climbing Everest.
Speaker 1: Just got about a minute left here, I mean, thirty years of sailing. We saw our first whale play with us in a boat off of Rhode Island just this past summer, and my husband I looked at us, maybe it's time to sell the boat because it was just so unbelievable. But you have about a minute left here? Is there a moment in time where you just I don't know a little story before we go unfortunately.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think one interesting story is, you know, if you're watching in the news, you're seeing orcas that are damaging boats off Gibraltar. They're actually seem to be knocking into recreational boats. And one thing that you learned from the history is that's been happening for a while. And one former New Yorker, Teddy Seymour born in Yonkers, the first black sailor to sail alone around the world, and he was knocked by an orca off the Red Sea for about a half a day, but luckily just kind of banged into a self steering gear.
Speaker 14: But he tells a great story of it.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, we watched the orc of videos, and we watch all these people, whether it's the YouTuber's project Atticus or Vagabond or you know, my husband and I are obsessed with it, and you get to get a feel of what it's like to be out on the ocean.
Speaker 3: Professor, just fifteen seconds left. Would you do it again?
Speaker 14: I think I do it with friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I you know, that's what most of them do. And some of them have a couple of kids and they're going around the world, but they eventually on some of those big crossings, bring friends on. This was so much fun. I hope we get a chance to talk again and maybe you will buy it. Do you have a vote now?
Speaker 14: If anyone would like to donate one.
Speaker 1: Well said, Well said Richard King. His book is Sailing Alone, A Surprising History of Isolation and Survival at Sea, joining us from Santa Cruz, California. A great place to go sailing, no doubt.
Speaker 3: About that, Richard Visiting Professor of Maritime History and Literature with the c Education Association.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast of a Little on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal