Speaker 1: Hello the Internet. All right, and welcome to this episode of all Right. Pete Dave trend Lynch. That one courtesy of Paul Garaventa. We're saying goodbye to a filmmaker, an artist who passed away. We talked more about it on tomorrow's episode. My name's Jack O Brian. I'm thrilled to be joined by Caitlin Deronte we woo, and it is our last training episode before inauguration week. As we're all we're all talking about it, you know, Trumps, inauguration happening to part of it. I don't have you major plans yet, or are you the type of person who just like kind of leaves your house and just kind of finds yourself floating between inauguration parties, like whichever one pulls you in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. If I'm gonna just like get blackout drunk and try to disassociate. I don't know if I'm just gonna sort of lie down for several hours. I don't know. Maybe I'll maybe I'll go see The Brutalist since it's a thousand hours long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's so long. That's a good idea. Brut like some combination word mash up of brutalist and inauguration like like Oppenheimer, like Boppenheimer or.
Speaker 2: Barbie the inaugurationist, brutal inauguration for some of us, all right.
Speaker 1: For the libs who got owned. A writer, mister j McNab, we were on a editorial call yesterday and he was asking, what is the age at which it's too late to the village your children to take your children and just like pull them out of society and pretend that you live in a different era.
Speaker 2: When they start forming memories around age three or like memories that they'll actually like store store, So.
Speaker 1: My memories are like really start at like three or four. Then it's like a glimmer of like I remember standing on my driveway this time.
Speaker 2: You know, so like a glimpse of something I feel.
Speaker 1: I feel like I could the village my kids, just get them out of this ship and how they Again, we live in the eighteen hundreds, they are sick and eight, so the eight year old we would have to do a lot of work I think worth it.
Speaker 2: But but yes, there's.
Speaker 1: A great question from J. M McNab. Brian had a really good note. Brian, what was your note about uh they should do Robot Wars.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was just saying it would be kind of tight if, like after they inaugur eight elon they like they do like a Robot Wars tide of thing because they have the money to build really cool robots and the tech.
Speaker 1: Guys and stuff.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, that would be like a nice little little fun way to kick off the next horrible four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's have fun with it, guys. And then we of course started talking about Real Steal and.
Speaker 2: A movie we all definitely.
Speaker 1: Remember Foundational Film the way I thought it was. I thought this was like a movie everybody remembered and knew. It's Hugh Jackman, Young Child and then Boxing Robots, so it's like Rocky mixed with rock em sock Em Robots, Rocky em Sochium Robots.
Speaker 2: I mean, a winning premise. I don't know how it didn't why it wasn't a smash hit at the box office earning three billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, Caitlin, how do you not remember this? And you pointed out that it was a flop that made one hundred and thirty billion on like a eighty million budget plus, But like me, taken marketing, not great, not Baffo as I had remembered it. I usually have a pretty good memory for Baffo Bo. But this is how my brain feels right now. Is I just like want to grasp onto anything that is not the approaching Trump administration. You know, just what about real steel? We could talk about that.
Speaker 2: This is why entertainment exists for escapism.
Speaker 1: Hey, well, speaking of some entertainment, Trump's inauguration will have a real racist dentist's office radio vibe to it. I feel like, I don't know that's a very specific vibe to be putting out. But among the performers, Billy Ray, Cyrus, not Miley, they couldn't get the good Cyrus, but they got her dad kid Rock, not the rock. They got the his sons Kid is his child kid Rock. And then Carrie Underwood, which if I knew anything about Carrie Underwood, I would be so disappointed right now. She's a mainstream country singer who sings the Monday night football song. I think is the mainly what I know about her.
Speaker 2: She has that song that's a pretty good So I'm not a country music listener generally, but she has a song that makes for a great karaoke song, because this is how I evaluate music these days. I'm like, can I sing this at karaoke?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no? Or does this generally make a good karaoke song? That song of hers, Oh god, I hope this is her song? Or also I'm gonna be humiliated.
Speaker 1: But the one so.
Speaker 2: Dug my ken to this song? It was pretty little souped up for anyone.
Speaker 3: The song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know of that song, even though I've never heard it.
Speaker 2: You've heard it, I've sang it to you.
Speaker 1: I've never even touched the color thing Like, I know of that song, but I've actually never heard Carrie Underwood's voice. Every time it comes on, I mute it because that's how I am. I only listen to man country singers. Yeah, she was like, I'm honored to answer the call. I thought we agreed last time that like we don't fuck with with Trump. But it just it seems like everybody endorsed Trump. Now everyone's just like this is who we are. It's it's the eighties all over again. We're going back to a time when like people thought it was cool to be culturally signing off on a conservative president. The president. They were like, I think it's cool to trust and like the president in the eighties, I feel like mainstream culture. I feel like we're about to wander into the island of Kokomo. You know, the Beach Boys song Cocomo just soulless. Everything's flat, everything sucks shit. Maybe I'm overreacting to one country singer agreeing to play at his inauguration, but I uh, I've been I've been feeling this like the the eighties because I grew up in the eighties. I was like, my first memories are yeah, I'm old, my first memories are this. You know. The first movie I saw at a theater was Rocky for a movie where like he beats Communism with boxing, with punching, and then the Communists are like, yes, thank you, thank you for be doing that. We actually like you better. Anyways, I feel like that's where we're headed. It will be entertaining because we have people like the lead singer of the Village people who will also be performing at the inauguration. Because of Trump's little jack off hand motion dance that he does like to Ymca has become a meme so much so that YMCA was like topped the charts for dance music like over the holidays.
Speaker 2: That's concerning. And then is so that is that? How what's his face from the Village People?
Speaker 1: His name, yeah, oh yeah, I have no idea. We have it here in this story. His last name is Willis. Oh yeah, yeah, Victor Willis.
Speaker 2: Of course willis the.
Speaker 1: Village People's Victor Willis.
Speaker 2: Well, he's the village person.
Speaker 1: I guess he's the village person because he is the last remaining member of the original Village People. And we've talked about this before that he threatened to sue anybody who calls the song YMCA a gay anthem in the media, and not just threatened to sue them himself, but said, my wife will sue you, thus re underlining the fact that he is straight, has a wife and she will sue your ass. Anyways, you can, you can look out for for them, because they did change there too. They they said they weren't gonna perform at Trump's inauguration, and then they they went back on their word while also being like and if you choose us for being gay, so help me God. So just be cool, watch the Village People at Trump's inauguration and appreciate, like how masculine and uh, not gay. They've ever been ever. Yeah, nobody's actually ever said.
Speaker 2: But there masculinity is like so awesome.
Speaker 1: It's so good like that's what we're all like realizing, like it's so good like all around, it's not it's rarely uh has impulse. Yeah, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about the Supreme Court and you know, they're questioning around the concept of internet porn. We'll be right back, and we're back, and earlier in the week, the Supreme Court heard arguments in the case known as Free Speech Coalition Versus Paxton, which is the one involving a porn industry group challenging Texas's age verification law, which that law very similar to a law that the court, the Supreme Court struck down in two thousand and four. But of course this is the new right wing, Christian nationalist Supreme Court, so things done changed around these parts. And the problems with it include privacy risks, you know, having to scan all of your information into the Internet to view pornography, and it could also be used as a pretext to censor information related to abortion, gender affirming care, safe sex, LGBTQ identity. You know, once we're giving these people, this version of the federal government the ability to say we're going to hide this behind a thing that you have to show your ID too, and also not be capable enough of like keeping your information private, it certainly limits the sort of information that people are able to find on the Internet. The information we were able to find based on the questioning was that amy Cony Barrett's family can't stop jacking off. That was one glimmer of you know, entertainment that came out of this because amy Cony Barrett complained about content filters, the way that many people deal with the issue of you know, pornography being readily available to young people anywhere on the Internet. A lot of people use content filters where they say, okay, internet at our house is not able to access these sites, and you know, there's a preset group of sites, similar to how workplaces have like adult content filters that like will make it hard for you to go to porn hub while you're at work. And she was like complaining about how the content filters. She's like, as a mother of seven, I can say from personal experience that filters are difficult to keep up with. So just dry snitching on her family for like being at the cutting edge of like accessing internet pornography.
Speaker 2: Just hacking through.
Speaker 1: We're perverted hackers. As the mother of seven perverted hackers, I can tell you that it's pretty pretty hard. But this is basically a user experience complaint from somebody who's probably like really bad at computers. She's like, this is so confusing, I don't know how to do and that, which is like where this should be handled, you know, at the level of like make a better product people, But insaid She's like, and therefore, the federal government should be in charge of banning what people can see, and we should get access to the private information of anybody who looks at porn, which seems good. She seems good and right because whenever, as the old saying goes, whenever the federal government is asking for information or taking new powers over you, you should not suspicious. You should just go with it.
Speaker 2: Just they've always.
Speaker 1: Been good and known what they were doing, all right, A couple quick stories. Drake is so before I think Drake was suing Kendrick Lamar and uh.
Speaker 3: No Spotify No no no no no, he was right, no no, no, no no no. Jack no, okay, So what's then before Drake was suing somebody for like payol up for accusing them of like inadvertently inflating.
Speaker 1: Not like us. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: He filed a case in New York and went to Texas and he dropped the New York one and he is going forward with the defamation case in Texas.
Speaker 1: So he's accusing Universal Music Group, his label of defaming him. Uh, which Universal is kind of like a clap that, like they publicly responded in a way that was like that seems a little spicy for a company that's trying to where this is like one of their main clients. Like I kind of almost respected it because they were Like. Throughout his career, Drake has intentionally and successfully used Universal Music Group to distribute his music and poetry, and poetry to engage in conventionally outrageous back and forth rap battles to express his feelings about other artists. He now seeks to weaponize the legal process to silence un artist's creative expression and to seek damages from Universal for distributing that artist's music. And can I say I love this clap back because it is it is straight to the point and it is factual. It is based entirely in reality.
Speaker 3: When they went back to back on Meek Mill, yeah, there was no talk of this. When he got bodied by push a T. He didn't think about filing a lawsuit because he just stopped it taking his like a lower tier artist, and it didn't get the reach that Kendrick Lamar did.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. I get why his feelings are hurt. Yeah, just just does not seem to be the word are dealing with. It is the unlike it all is so wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like a playground feud where like two kids are just like or however many are together, like you know, scrapping, and then the one loser kid is like I'm telling I'm telling the teacher on you. Also speaking of very generic names, universal music.
Speaker 1: Group, universal music.
Speaker 2: Group, generic ass name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome to Universal Music Group. Yeah, it's does not seem to be going well for him that he's resorting to this. It is like, I don't know, I don't think anyone's taken a bigger l like maybe ever in the history, like somebody who's so famous, Like what has happened to Drake in the last year is kind of staggering that there's going to be a Super Bowl halftime show that is essentially based around the theme of him getting completely ethered in a way that's like way worse than ether.
Speaker 3: Also, he's beefing with Lebron right now because Lebron went to the pop out, I guess. And yeah, and now he's saying wild shit about a truly beloved figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another battle that he's not going to win. Beloved by many. But I feel like a lot of speaking of the Caucasidy, a lot of white basketball fans for some reason don't love Lebron.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: So uh okay, Drake, all right man? And who yeah, because he's also like he was beefing with various NBA players who showed up to the thing, to the pop out, So I don't know, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: An embarrassing person.
Speaker 1: It continues to be and be friends with me exact not fair with the fuck all right. Well, those are some of the things that are trending. Caitlin, Thank you so much for joining us this week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me well.
Speaker 1: Miles is out. Miles continues to appreciate everybody's support as help trying to put everything back together, and he'll be back. He will be back. But Caitlin, where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: You can follow me on Instagram at Caitlyn Toronte. You can check out the Bechdel Cast and check out our upcoming live shows. We've got one in San Francisco on January twenty third, is a part of Sketch Fest. It's a show about Titanic, so you're gonna need to see that. Considering that Jamie and I have never talked about Titanic before, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I wonder where you guys fall on that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Where are you guys on other stepping out of that fake that fake idea that we don't know that you love Titanic? Where are you guys on other Cameron stuff?
Speaker 2: Are you generally pro kind of Terminator and especially Terminator two?
Speaker 1: I was just describing Terminator two like they're a handful of movies. Like knowing my six and eight year olds like pretty well at this point, I'm like they're.
Speaker 2: Glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they we we hang out a lot. I'm kind of a good dad. We've hung out like a number of time, like yeah, hours every month.
Speaker 2: Pretty and then and then you're gonna put them into the village.
Speaker 1: You know, we're gonna the village them. I won't be there as much as I'd like to be because I'm mainly gonna be dressed as a wolf running through the woods. But the like, there are movies that when I think of that, I'm like, once they like, they're going to like those movies so much it's going to change their whole personality. And the the movie I had that thought about before was Avatar two. And then I started talking Terminator Too with them over breakfast this morning. Ok. They were like fucking wrapped. They were like what wait, yeah, my specifically my eight year old, but like my six year old, but like the fucking liquid metal of it all was he was just like, oh my god, I just I think I started doing it because I I think I was talking to you about how how like one of the first ways I experienced movies was my dad going to see like Rambo and like describing it to me. Okay, oh no, like what a fun way to experience a movie.
Speaker 2: That was someone just describing describing a movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, But anyways, I'm glad to hear you also enjoy Terminator.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a big Terminator head. Aliens is a lot of fun. I need to rewatch the abyss. But all this to say it is true. I have seen Titanic before, not only once before, but maybe a hundred times before.
Speaker 1: It may maybe and there's no way to say.
Speaker 2: Hard to say, but anyway, the show in San Francisco and January twenty third is on Titanic. We have a show in Portland on January twenty sixth on Shrek. So both of these are part of our Shrek Tannic tour, you know, copyrighted trademarked Shrek Tannic of course. And then our La show has been rescheduled to March second, and that's a live in person show as well as a live show. The Portland show is also being live stream, so you can get live stream tickets. So that's the main thing I want to plug all of these upcoming Bechdel cast shows. You can get tickets at link tree slash Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about having robo wars at your Bechdel Cast?
Speaker 2: Oh you mean like real steal real? Right?
Speaker 1: And now see I'm helping you out and these are references you can use in your day to day life.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 1: Those are the things that are trending today on Thursday afternoon. We're back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,