Speaker 1: This is Suckers. I'm Keel Bell, I'm Dean Bell, and I'm Jared han An.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio podcast. Hey everyone, welcome to an all new episode of Suckers. I'm joined by Jared and Dean. What are you guys suckers for this week?
Speaker 1: A sucker for my beautiful wife.
Speaker 2: That is the right answer. I'm a sucker for my handyman husband. Dean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice to hear because you've never thanked me for anything that I told you.
Speaker 2: That is so crazy. Jared, what do you sucker for?
Speaker 1: Things are good over in Roady? What is new over here? Nothing? Nothing is new just day after day. It's the same nonsense over and over again until we die.
Speaker 2: It's really beautiful optimism.
Speaker 3: It's a really beautiful way to look at it.
Speaker 1: But you know what the good thing is, we have coffee, and coffee solves problems.
Speaker 2: Here's what we're suckers for.
Speaker 1: We're suckers for coffee.
Speaker 3: What do you guys doing? What kind of coffee you guys drinking? Jared's got something from Starbucks. It's Audrey's, but it kind of looks like Starbucks.
Speaker 1: It's a nice little shaken espresso with a little almond milk and some comb foam on top. It's a little sweet, but I'm also a sweet tooth. That's the issue I have. I'm not really I don't have desires for food. Ashley is the opposite. Where she thinks about what she's having for dinner. She I mean, I'm not a daze beforehand. She looks at menus before she goes to restaurants. What she wants is that I'm not that guy, Like, is.
Speaker 2: She on Yelp? Does she look at the photos on Yelp?
Speaker 1: I mean she looks at photos. I don't think she really looks at reviews at all.
Speaker 3: I've never understood that. Every time Kaylen does it, I'm like, just I have to see what it looks like. I live in the moment, I can't.
Speaker 2: I have to see what it looks like to know if I want it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just I'd never really understood why you do that, because I built.
Speaker 2: So much anticipation for my meals and if I'm let down, I'll be sad.
Speaker 3: But a picture, like, what can you really tell from a picture?
Speaker 2: I pulled up pictures for you at that positive place, and you decided to pivot on your because of the photo show.
Speaker 3: Pasta names are so confusing. It's like a lot of eenies. And all I want is like a nice spaghetti noodle and a delicious red sauce with maybe.
Speaker 2: A little bit of you want the basic stuff with.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit of meat in there if I'm feeling spunky something, because I'm like, that sounds interesting, and it comes and it's like butter noodles with lamb garnish, and I'm like, I don't want that.
Speaker 1: You know, I love butter noodles. I could eat pasta with butter all day, every day. So Caitlen loves butter noodles too. I'm so good.
Speaker 3: You guys have the palettes of toddlers.
Speaker 2: Yes we do. Every time I make pasta, I have to set a little bit, a little bowl aside for myself with butter and salt, and it is so good.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you're not as sophisticated as yours, Dean, because.
Speaker 3: Spaghetti meatballs up here, butter and noodles way down here. I'm at least like a seven year old. You guys are still in like the five year old territory. So that's what are we talking about today, you guys. It's good to see you, Jared, Good to see you as well. Anything happened.
Speaker 1: We have Caitlyn coming to Audrey's next week, which is exciting Caitlin Bristo, He's like, wait, what coming to Audrey. So we're doing a meat great there. That'll be fun and exciting, and we're doing an event with her Spade and Sparrows. So just gearing up for that. Valentine's Day went, well. When's the last time I talked to you guys? Was it pre Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: I think it was Valentine Valentine's Day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So we went out, Ashley and I went out to dinner. We had our date night on Sunday. Date night is so interesting now because we're it's it. We try to make things romantic obviously, but it's so hard because you know she's pregnant. It's like, we get out of the house, it's always you know, with the kid and Audrey's it's always like a commotion getting out of the house. And then find a new babysitters. So we get to dinner and it's nice to relax, like I have a glass of wine, but then I feel bad because Ashley can't have a glass of wine. And then there's things that she can't eat because she's pregnant. She can't like have any you know, chacoderie board or any meats like that, or she can't have barrata cheese. Random, but like there's types of cheeses and types of food she can't have.
Speaker 2: Are there things that she cheats on? Because I know a lot of my friends they have their thing where they're like, I can't give this up.
Speaker 1: She so apparently she she's not supposed to have Deli meat, but apparently she can have it if it's freshly sliced. I don't really know, like if she sees it sliced, she says that she can have it, but she can't buy like percent preservatives. Yeah, dude, are you a boloney guy?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Now, I mean I don't hate it. I'm very people are Are you? Do you like boloney? I love baloney.
Speaker 3: My friend came and spent the night last night and he opened the fridge and he looked at me and he goes, I love that your baloney guy, And I go, I love that eura baloney guy.
Speaker 1: There's not enough of us out there.
Speaker 3: Speaking of having the of a toddler, yeah, Caln hates that a boloni.
Speaker 1: My dad love boloni. I used to have boloney and cheese with mayo for my sandwich at school every day, mayonnaise, baloney and cheese on white bread. That was Jared's lunch.
Speaker 2: Oh that was such a nineties thing because I would have Boloonian mustard on white bread.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, Yeah, it was either mustard or mayo. But then the boloney would make the bread soggy by the time lunch comes around, and then I hated it, like kind of moist bread, baloney, moist bread. Our Valentine's Day was good. We what did we do on Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: We tried to make pizzas. We tried to have a romantic night in and make pizzas. Mine caught on fire and it.
Speaker 1: Looked a little burnt. I'm not gonna lie. When you posted the picture, I was like, is she being sarcastic? Didn't Is this pieza looks burnt?
Speaker 2: Well, that's deep.
Speaker 3: Mine was burnt because severely undercooked her as caught.
Speaker 2: On fire and I thought I was going to catch the house on fire. Freaked out, I couldn't. I didn't know what to do, so I just pulled it out and it was just straight dough, and then Dean kept circling his and I was like, I think it's good. And then it turned into Chris.
Speaker 3: What's annoying about that pizza cooker? Gosh, this is such a rifting podcast. What's annoying about that pizza cooker is you can't cook the middle of it without burning the outside of it. And I wanted to make sure it was cooked all the way through, and so like I had to burn it.
Speaker 2: I think that we didn't roll out the dough enough. We actually didn't have a rolling pin and I got a lot of d ms. Cooking pizza in this altitude is different. Oh, so it's not totally awfaul.
Speaker 3: I think you're it would cook easier in this altitude.
Speaker 2: No, Like everything here is so different. It's been so hard to cook and get things right.
Speaker 3: And then I bought, uh, I bought Kaitlin two dozen roses and some epsom salt for the for the bath. And then I go to draw her to the bath while she's out of the house and our bathhub doesn't work.
Speaker 2: So that was a big thought that counts.
Speaker 3: It was a big fail on my part, But that's that's what we did well.
Speaker 2: And then Dean's been building this behind me. There's tools everywhere. He's been working on the office, and he's been super busy and not letting me really help, which is I'm fine with It's it's been great.
Speaker 3: She'll come in for she wants to film herself helping, and then she'd be like, all right.
Speaker 2: Don't call me out like that.
Speaker 1: Hey, all right, I need she's the one. You know. You gotta make money for the gram. You gotta put some get some content up there. It's good content too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sand for five seconds, pretend like I did something.
Speaker 3: No kiss obviously. Okay, that was really good. All right, I'll see you in a couple hours.
Speaker 2: He no, I to put these shelves in. I helped. I helped. That's all I did.
Speaker 3: Carried the shelves from the garage to the room, which is very nice. It looks good. I gotta give myself some credit. It looks looking behind you, it looks really nice.
Speaker 2: Just some tools and some mess, but it's almost.
Speaker 1: How hard was it for you to build that deck? The deck is actually pretty easy to build. It's just a big frame and then you just lay the deck boards. It's I was thinking about it last night because when I put this room together behind Kaylan, I was like just stood back and I was like, man, it feels really good to build something because just like seeing it come together. I don't know what it is about it, but it's really fit. It's like adult legos way.
Speaker 2: And someone DMed me and she was like, hey, we'd love to send you this. It's like this ten thousand dollars or maybe even more than that. It's like storage for all of your cricket crafts and stuff. And that's basically what dean, but for like a thousand dollars. So and it looks a lot better this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how is this anything like that cricket thing?
Speaker 2: Oh? A storage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was like a Murphy storage just somewhere like all fold it own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. This is a lot better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, yep. So that's what we did Valentine's Day, built stuff and burts some pizzas best Valentine's Day. That first Valentine's Day as a married couple.
Speaker 2: Sure was wow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that's a good Valentine's Day to stay in and cook. I it's you guys obviously are experiencing it as well, and then just like I miss that feeling of when you first started dating someone and you guys would have that first night where you would stay in and cook and like watch a movie. Oh that was the best. That was the best. Like my biggest advice for anybody out there right now, that's don't do it on a first day. Obviously, because it's creepy. No guys should be inviting a girl over for the first day. But like if you guys been going out for a little while and you're like on the verge of being exclusive where you feel comfortable enough to invite a girl over to your house or go over to her house, dude, I find that to be the most fun date in the world, even more than going out. Like staying in, you buy a bottle of wine, you cook together, like you're in pajamas, but it's kind of like sexy clothing too, and you're watching a movie and it's.
Speaker 3: Like your heart's all racing. Do I put my arm around or don't I put my arm around her?
Speaker 1: Oh? And then of course, like you know, oh, it's just suck out the bust.
Speaker 3: I think I've told this story before. I remember I went on a well, not on a date. For Valentine's Day one year, I ordered in Chinese food. This is long time ago, sorry, Kaylin, this is PC and ordered Chinese food. I wanted to like set an ambient light, and so I like threw a pink shirt over a floor lamp, not realizing that lamps get pretty hot, and the the shirt caught on fire. Yeah, in the middle of my bedroom at the time, and it was very scary.
Speaker 2: Wow, what'd you do?
Speaker 3: Put the fire out and then turn the regular lights off and then na, my Chinese food. It's very romantic. But yeah, now we don't get Now, we don't get that. I'm not lighting shirts on fire at thirty two.
Speaker 2: You know with rose petals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: But to Jared's point, there's something something fun about like the itdy like like how silly we used to be.
Speaker 2: You know, well, you guys could still be those silly, goofy guys. You just got to try a little harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose deep.
Speaker 2: Dig deep into your romantic.
Speaker 3: Art, try a little harder.
Speaker 1: What will I have to I can't fix a bathtub. I'm sorry that the bathtub wasn't able to be drawn for you.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you guys are missing this little part of your yourselves. You can get it back with your wife.
Speaker 3: No, but I'm saying, like part of the fun of what that, like, Jared, is it's like just like the inexperience of it all, Like you hadn't really done it before, and that's why it was so exciting, because you're like figuring out as you go. Now that we're old and not smart, but you know, more experienced, I guess those things kind of lose their novelty a little bit.
Speaker 1: Guys. It's also hard now because Ashley, like even when we try to like be cutesy, she'll sneeze and she'll be like, I just peed, and I'm like, ah, all right, let's.
Speaker 3: Just put something on the TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did see that a lot of people have sense in this article about how picking your nose can lead to Alzheimer's.
Speaker 2: I have had dozens of people.
Speaker 3: There's dozens of us.
Speaker 2: No, seriously, dozens of people people. Lauren Zeema texted us to us. We've had many people text just this article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently if we've been picking our nose on air and just not noticed it is.
Speaker 3: Remember a couple of weeks ago. I was talking about how I picked my nose in public and how it makes kiln mad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Jared wasn't on that podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, So in carmellet was a big big thing because I'm pro nose picking. If I have a booger, I'm picking it. I don't need it. I'm not going to go to the Bathroom'm not going to blow my nose, because blowing your nose doesn't get those crusty boogers that are stuck to my nose hair.
Speaker 1: She takes I'm a pro picker. Two, I get it.
Speaker 3: I think what you don't necessarily understand, Kailin, is that men have a lot more nose hair than women, and so the boogers get stuck up.
Speaker 2: There a lot more little machines to just get them out.
Speaker 3: So you may show a machine. Oh, I've tried those machines and I think they don't work.
Speaker 1: I've tried these nose clippers too, and it's just like you know, I went to the barber one time and they did this thing with popsicle sticks. Deane. I don't know if they've ever done this with you. Yeah, they put wax on the end of these out and then they put it up in my nose and then they're like one, two, three and they just pull it out.
Speaker 2: Who's painful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought I was gonna cry. I was like, I can't believe I'm doing this. I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember it's very ticklish. I'll like pluck my nose hairs often. That's an enjoyable moment as well. I can't pluck my nose hair. I can't like I can't pluck in general. Maybe I'm just not a good plucker. Well, like you know, if you have some if you have some hair sticking out and the and you don't want them sticking out anymore, just get like kind of get up into the base and just a.
Speaker 1: Yank, super hard, super fingers. I feel like I use, I feel like I get skin Like. I used to try to pluck my like middle brow, and I'm like, I just feel like I'm making my middle brow more red than anything. I don't think I'm getting hairs anyway. This is a guy problem. Obviously.
Speaker 3: To improve your form, I think is really what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: Apparently I need to practice more.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jared, I see on the rundown here that you're doing something about a Girl Scout cookie taste test.
Speaker 1: What is that now? Apparently, did you guys know that there are two different factories that distribute Girl Scout cookies?
Speaker 2: Say, that's why they have different names. I was just telling someone about this.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's news to me. Well, apparently one is very good and the other one is not as good. And then Ashley is all pissed off. She I've heard this conversation a million times and I can't hear it again about how Rhode Island has the Girl Scout cooking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the East Coast does have the bad one.
Speaker 1: Well, they're distributed all over the place, Like there's a colored map that she brought up, but she goes look and she zoomed in in Rhode Island. But there are parts of mass that have the good factory that there are parts of Connecticut, and then apparently in Northern Virginia, where she is from, she has the good cookies. I don't know, but honestly a lot of people have come up to me ever since Ashley posted. It was like Ashley's right cooies.
Speaker 2: So I didn't know that they tasted that different, but I know the names because then Mince has a different name, and then Samoa's are like Coconut Delight or something.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently Samoas are like just compiling, not Samoa, and it's just trash.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting. I thought you were just doing a taste test. I was like, we all know what girls scout cookies taste like, but I like this idea.
Speaker 1: Well now Ashley, because obviously I was giving her shit about it because I'm like, they don't taste that much differently, and then Ashley was not very happy about that response. So she is buying cookies from both different factories, and apparently I'm going to do a blind taste test, which I've already told her. I'm gonna sabotage intentionally. I'm going to just say that I can't taste the difference, even if I like one better than the other, just to piss her off. But obviously for Instagram content, I won't do that because I'll tell the truth because it's better for the gram. So apparently I'm doing a blind taste test. But I don't even like Samoa's, so I don't know why. I meanly, I like thin mince, so I'll guess I'll taste the thin mince and see which one I like better?
Speaker 3: Does Ashley? Is this a theme for Ashley to do? Does she like doing blind taste tests for you?
Speaker 1: She likes doing anything food related. But we've done this before. We did. I think it was like the difference between an in and Out and a shake shack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to. I remember you guys doing that like five.
Speaker 1: Years ago, which, like I didn't know why I did it, because I think I've always been team Shakeshack. Like Shakeshack is far better than in and Out. But Ashley loves Shakeshack, right, Yeah, we both like Shakeshack better. Yeah. I would like to taste all the burgers bite by bite, Burger King McDonald, Shakeshack, In and Out, Wendy's, and see which one I like the best. I mean, I'm imagining Shakeshack is going to be number one. You can put Wallburger's on there too. I just don't know if they're as you know, there's as many as these other ones.
Speaker 3: Shakeshack is criminally underrated, I think, especially in California where everyone is high and mighty on the in and Out.
Speaker 2: Train in and Out it is not that great.
Speaker 3: Well, I love it and Out personally, like I still think it I don't, Okay, I love in and Out.
Speaker 1: I think it's delicious.
Speaker 3: I will eat there over Shakeshack, but every time I go to I've only been to Shakeshack like twice, but every time I go there. Both times I went there, I have thought that it's the superior burger.
Speaker 1: It is so much better.
Speaker 2: The reason I like Shickshak is because they have vegetarian options. As someone who doesn't eat red meat, They've got the Portobello burger, and it's like, why can't in and Out just they've got I think they just do a bun or something for vegetarians.
Speaker 3: They well, they've got like the lettuce bun. Yeah, and then they've got like grilled they can yeah do like a grilled cheese or like a hamburger with no burger and it's just like lettuce cheese and yeah to me, Yeah, so yeah, I guess you know credit where credits do Shakeshack.
Speaker 2: This is such a food centric podcast. It's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got to give your hungry let's give some hard hitting updates in our lives. What else do we have Kaylen, I.
Speaker 2: Mean this has basically been what we've been working on. When I say we, I mean you. Yeah. Oh, I have an update for Dean's life. Dean has been he so so great to like so neighborly. He helped this woman fix a fence, and he's meeting all these new people and he's got a weekly yoga class with these older women. He's just like befriending all of the older ladies in our neighborhood. It's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to start a startup top.
Speaker 2: It's a pillar of our community.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to be I want to always telling Kayleen the other day, I want to be known as a guy in this area that's just willing to drop everything and help anyone on a moment's notice.
Speaker 2: And he has been, yeah, in many ways, and it's very sweet.
Speaker 3: Thanks thanks for thanks for sharing that you.
Speaker 2: Got a big heart. I just well, I also just love that you're doing yoga with It's like a group of six ladies who go to yoga every single week or twice a week. They go to the same class and they were like, Dean, we talked about it, and we want you to come back next week. So now he's a part of their crew.
Speaker 3: I think the girl that said that was as a fan because she asked about you specifically yesterday and I was like, I don't think I've ever shared my wife's name. She goes, when is Kaylen coming?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, so you don't talk about your wife to these other women. That sounds good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, red flag.
Speaker 3: First, I do, but I say my wife. I don't say Kaylan. So like I'm like, oh, yeah, my wife wanted to come, but I told her she's not allowed to because this is this is my thing, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: He doesn't like to work out in front of me.
Speaker 1: I hate it. Even said it to it yesterday.
Speaker 3: I was like, look, I'll embarrass myself in front of you guys, no problem, but I don't want embrass myself in front of my wife.
Speaker 1: Would you do? Would you lift weights in front of Kaylan? Or is it just yoga or anything?
Speaker 3: We used to try to go to the gym together in Nevada and I hated it. I hated so much, even though like it's not like we were working out with each other, but I want to work out and be there for like forty five minutes to an hour Kaylen wants to work out and run on the treadmill for a few teen minutes and then leave.
Speaker 2: No, that was when I didn't have a trainer. When I have a trainer, I'm working out for an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But then also too, it's like, you know, we're walking around between going from the squad rack to the bench press. I like have to not have to, but like, you know, if I see you, I'm going to like stop and give you some flirtatious glances, and that just gets in the way of me working out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we don't work out together. We belong to the same gym, but we go at separate times.
Speaker 3: I'll see, like if she's going to the gym, I'll be like, all right, once she's back, I can go to the gym.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it works, It works kind of.
Speaker 1: You know, when you guys were talking, I was just thinking about Dean when you said you have you stopped to Kaitlin and give her flirtatious vibes or stuff like that at the gym, And then in my head I was like, I have no When Ashley and I went to the gym, I would just ignore her and I would have my headphones on and go. And then I was thinking in my head, I think as the older I get, the more of aal I become. Because then I was like, I guess I should like I have no quarrels just being so honest with Ashley now, so brutally honest where I really shouldn't be. I should lie and fluff things up and make her feel better at times.
Speaker 2: But you know, yes, that helps with romance, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: It's just she's I think Ashley, she's so honest, so honest to a fault that it rubs off on me. But the problem is she is such a naturally innocent and in the most the and I mean this in a positive way, childlike, you know, in terms of just like lovable and endearing and innocent, so like her being honest is fine, but like me being honest, like I think of some really stupid stuff sometimes, and I think of some I have dark thoughts, and like when I'm honest, and sometimes I'm like, like I was just thinking at the gym, I'm like, I have no problems being like just putting on my headphones and just bolting past Ashley to get my work out. And then after we're done, We're like, all right, I'm you know, whenever you're ready, no rush. But I was just thinking, I don't know why that popped in my head. Anyway, moving on, No, we kind of deal with that too, because I'm the same as Ash.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm pretty honest and I say a lot of weird stuff, dumb stuff, and Kaitlyn's always looking at me like I'm an idiot, Like I remember what I was saying yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember my reaction, but I don't remember what you said.
Speaker 3: We don't need to repeat it on air because it was pretty pretty.
Speaker 1: First of all, you cannot be the person. Don't be that guy to be like, you know what I said yesterday, Oh, your reaction is pretty good. I can't say it on the podcast to say is it that bad? It was?
Speaker 2: It was bad.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get canceled.
Speaker 2: I remember that. I was like, what the Yeah, yep, I remember, don't say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, well, I can we can kind of summarize it. I feel like, since I have a lost parent, it kind of like having a dark side of humor about dealing with loss, I think is pretty important. And so I was making jokes about dead parents. Yeah, and it was in bad taste. It was, But I can make those jokes because I lost a parent and it breaks my heart and I am constantly depressed about it, so I can joke about it.
Speaker 1: That is fair.
Speaker 3: That's my logic with it, at least, Dean.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever asked you this, and I've actually been curious about it. Have you talked to your dad.
Speaker 3: Ever since you've been married? No, that's a good question. I have not, but he lives in the same town as us. I have talked to some of my friend's parents, who like have inquired about it as well, and I keep asking them. I'm like, should I stop in his store and like say hi and ask him how he's doing?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And everyone that I've talked to encourages me to go say hi and like reintroduce myself to him.
Speaker 1: But I just haven't done it yet.
Speaker 2: Do you want to?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: I mean reason I drive by that store like every single day, me too, and I could like stop in real quick, but so I guess no, I don't want too, Otherwise I would have done it by now.
Speaker 2: I kind of disagree when people say stuff like that. I get that their intentions are correct, but when people like tell me, for instance, to fix the relationship with my dad, to reach out, it's like, one, I don't want and two that's his responsibility in my eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree that it is on the parent to maintain a relationship with your kid to a degree, But at the same time too, it's like I'm an adult. If I was sixteen, I would absolutely agree with that, but now that I'm thirty two, it's kind of like, well, if I step up and just be a son again, Like I should just do that instead of waiting for him to come around and be a dad again kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm on the fence about it. I do think at some point I'll stop in and say hi, who knows. I'm curious to see how he'll react. He'll either completely ignore me or act like nothing has ever happened between us, like we haven't seen each other in five years, you know. So it'll be interesting. Maybe I'll do it this week and i'll come back to the pod. I'll have some information next week for the podcast.
Speaker 1: Don't do it for the podcast. Usually I say do everything for Instagram and podcasts, but there are certain things that are very emotional that I'm like, don't you need to do that whenever you feel is the right time.
Speaker 3: If ever, what do you think I should do? Oh?
Speaker 1: I couldn't even I have such a different experience than what you've gone through in your life. I would be the last person to even give you advice onto what you should or should not do. Because, of course, on my side, I'm like, yeah, I think you should go in and talk to your dad, But I mean, I couldn't even fathom, Like I can't even put my mind into what you've been through with losing your mom and then you know, having the relationship with your dad that you've had. I like, I just I wouldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't even know, yeah at this point, So I think the biggest attractor for me with this whole situation with him is I don't know if you guys are I'm sure you don't remember it, but on my hometowns, he kept talking about how he's like, I was like, you weren't there for me, like what happened?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah, And he's like, you should.
Speaker 3: Be grateful because I made you the man that you are today because I was absent, and it made me so mad. He's taking credit, taking credit for any you know, not success, but any like success that I've had in life. He's taking credit for because he wasn't there. And he's like, I've made you into the man that you are because of what I did. And I'm like, no, that's so messed up. And so my concern now is if I go in, then I have this beautiful wife and we have this amazing house, and we're back in the valley and we're you know, we're doing well for ourselves generally speaking, at least, even though I think we could always be doing better. Guys are doing it very well for yourselves. Yes, I think he would be like, he would say something along the lines of like or he would be proud of himself. Is kind of maybe why I'm hesitant to go say something.
Speaker 2: To him You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And maybe he won't be that way, but that's just kind of how I imagine him going with it.
Speaker 2: So, but you're also like the most forgiving and kind person, and part of me doesn't want you to see him to like protect you because oh, do you want to go in with me? No? But I will if you want me here.
Speaker 3: Do you want to meet him?
Speaker 2: Not until you think it's appropriate.
Speaker 3: Don't you think it's weird that neither of us if I have met the others that father.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'll ever meet my father, to be honest, nor do I want you to. But I like part of me just wants to protect that there. There's also like an innocence to dean and just protect that suite and like nurturing and like you would be there for him in a heartbeat, And I feel I don't want him to ever take advantage of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think he And that's another thing too. I do think that he would try to take advantage in some way, but who knows, maybe he wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're thinking the worse.
Speaker 3: It's just he's told me some stories, and I'm like, you know, you probably should keep those to yourself. Like that's pretty messed up what you're.
Speaker 1: Saying right now, Like that has told you stories?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like like I mean, I'm not gonna get into it obviously, but like he would talk about like a plan that he has to do something that would like pretty significantly hinder someone else, And I'm like, why a why would you do that and be why would you tell your son about that? And so I don't know. That's kind of that's where my hesitations come from. Is it being taken advantage of situation? And I, you know, I do kind of try my best to see the best in people. I would hope that that wouldn't come to that, but you never know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you have any hesitations going back to the area that proximity wise you're close to your dad? Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 3: I've been wondering if I'll ever like bump into him randomly, as opposed to like going into where he works and saying and like you know me, I guess driving that interaction where or just like seeing him at the grocery store randomly. I've always been curious to see if that would happen. I my biggest fear is like having a bad reputation in the community because of him or you know, when we were kids, we were all kind of jerk dickheads. But everyone I've talked to, like I called our gas provider yesterday, she has two kids that are a little younger than I am, And it's just so great to be like able to talk to people that are now in a position to like help others and be like, yeah, I grew up here.
Speaker 1: I'm just so happy to be back.
Speaker 3: And then they're like, oh, yeah, oh you're Dean Unglert. Oh my gosh, I remember you when you were six years old. I remember like that realtor that we saw in one of the houses. She was like, I remember last time I saw you, you were pe in your pants every single time.
Speaker 2: But that's what I was thinking too. Everyone knows, i mean, upon meeting you, or knows your reputation that you're very kind and sweet, and everyone knows your dad's reputation, and don't you know, think one is the other or don't ever compare, you know. Yeah, So if that's a concern, I don't think it should be.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: Also remember last time I was hanging out with my dad also PC pre Kalin. We were like hanging out and I hadn't seen him in a few years, and obviously, like I hadn't really spent much time with him at all in my life up to that point, and he was doing something and I looked over and I was like, that's exactly something that I would do. Like we have like we're so similar in so many ways, even without like growing up with each other. And so my biggest fear is ending up like him in so many ways because we're just cut from the same cloth.
Speaker 2: I guess there's just just so different.
Speaker 1: I hope I try really hard to be.
Speaker 3: And my brothers say that too, like, because both my brothers are dads now, and I'm like, don't you get a little, you know, concerned about being a dad considering our dad wasn't necessarily the best one for us when we were kids. And both of them have encouraged me because they're like, well, no, like, my biggest motivation is to be the exact opposite of our dad to my kid. And so it's like, yeah, people can't and obviously people do change, and they're like working hard to break the not like the family curse, but like that expectation from a Unglert.
Speaker 1: I guess if you will, Kaylen, you're a Harry Potter fan, right, you're oh, yeah, okay, So because I'm going to reference Order the Phoenix here because there's a great line that you reminded me of Dean where at the end of the movie. I can't remember what happened the book because I read it so for long Ago. But the end of the movie Quick Story, Baltimore and Harry, like Valdemort's trying to take over Harry, possess them. It's kind of a weird scene, but Dumbledore's talking to Harry because throughout the entire series, like everybody's relating Baltimore to Harry, Valdemort to Harry, and in that scene, Dumbledore is like, Harry, it's not how you two are alike, it is how you two are different, and that is the important thing. So anyway, my point being is, it's not how you and your father are alike, it's how you guys are different. Love that. Love it. And then also Dean, from an outsider's perspective, obviously I don't live in the community, so I don't really know, but my general consensus would be that your fame and just you one you being you in general, like going to these yoga classes, being a six foot two, very good looking man, going into these yoga classes with six older women like you kind of created your own your own of yourself. Plus on top of what happened on Bachelor, I don't think anybody would be like, oh, that's so and so's kid, like watch out, like they know you for you for a multitude of reasons. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, but it is interesting kind of alluding to the same topic too. It's like, yeah, you like, at the end of the day, I am my father's kid, and so I just hope that doesn't follow me around.
Speaker 1: And I do agree that it doesn't. Necessarily.
Speaker 2: I don't think your dad is stopping on the side of the road to help an older woman fix her fence.
Speaker 1: I think you would.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe maybe I'm thinking too harsh of him.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the thing with him, is I think that he would do something like that, but then he would like disregard the people that he should be taken care of, you know what I mean. But maybe that's just a bad perception that I have of him. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I really don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, my whole point in this is that you're a very great guy, and you've been very kind to all the people in our community.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I have been kind to you, No, exactly exactly. That's my biggest fear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Klin, So you obviously also don't have a close relationship with your father. Wow. This this podcast went from food to like really in depth. But it really does fascinate me because you two, I've had such a different upbringing and you guys have had much more trauma than I have, and you're both equally such wonderful people that it's it's it's pretty remarkable because I try to like put myself in your shoes and be like, you know, what would what would I be like if if I had to deal with some of the things that you guys had to deal with in terms of like my relationship with my parents. So you don't think you'll ever have Dean meet your dad?
Speaker 2: Huh? I don't think. So we haven't spoken in years, and he tries with my sister. I've got six siblings, but uh, four of us are my dad's kids, and he tries with two of his kids but doesn't try with the other two. And it's like, maybe things will change years from now, maybe when we have kids, like I'll want them to have a relationship, but I just can't. I don't know. I feel like when you are trying with two kids and give up on the other two, it doesn't make me want a relationship with you. So who knows.
Speaker 3: My biggest thing is in twenty or thirty years or forty years, who knows how long. When my dad is dead and your dad is dead, then like we you know they will be at some point. Of course everyone does.
Speaker 1: We're all gonna die. We're all going to die.
Speaker 3: My biggest, like potential regret is if I wait too long to salvage a relationship and then he dies, and then I'll forever have to live with the fact that, like, oh, I didn't try to mend this relationship and now I don't even have the chance to because he's dead, and then like that's something that I like a lifelong guilt that I would have to bear. But I just like don't want to wait until it's too late, I guess is kind of what I'm saying, And obviously I am because I'm not taking any action with it. But I do think that there would be a day like I don't go up to him and say something to him where to in whatever capacity to like I don't have to be his best friend, but like if I don't know, I just do think that I would regret not trying to mend things with him at some point in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's definitely different with the two of us. You had a relationship with him for fifteen years and I've never had one with mine, So I think yours is more important in a different way.
Speaker 3: Well, they're both new, I mean, yeah, they're both nuanced in their own special way. Yeah, Like I do agree that yours it's less important to you because like John is your dad, Yeah you know, so, yeah, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: But for now, no, dad's no dads.
Speaker 1: How long? How long ago did your mom remarry mine?
Speaker 2: She married my stepdad when I was four or five, so they've been he's like basically raised me. Oh so that's it too. It's like I'm not missing I'm not missing that. I never, until I was an adult, looked at my stepdad like he was a father figure. But as an adult was like, oh no, you were there my whole life. You've been to everything, You've been to every pageant, whatever it is, and my dad never was.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tricky though with your family because they're all on the East Coast. It's so hard to get out to the East Coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hopefully they'll be out here in two years though, Yeah, hopefully hopefully.
Speaker 1: I mean that'd be great. I wish we were closer with your family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like we're super close with my brothers and my sister.
Speaker 2: It's proximity. It's definitely home.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I feel guilty because I like, we spend more time with my family than we do with your family.
Speaker 1: I guess your grandparents. Yeah, what's going on with them? Weren't there wasn't there like potential move?
Speaker 2: Were you able?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They bought a place in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Okay, but they're still living in Nevada.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So kind of both back and forth right now, but hopefully it'll be permanent soon.
Speaker 1: Very nice, very nice. Yeah, I mean they got to be your neighbors again.
Speaker 2: I know, it's the best. I love hanging out with them.
Speaker 1: Jared, what's going on with your family with your parents?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's talk about your.
Speaker 1: Uh same old before. I but I do want I'll yeah, I'll talk about my family. I do want to say one thing, just because you know we're in this this mode obviously, Dean, I've been closer with you for a while, and like now that we're talking about it, it just like reminds me of what a specimen you are. Don't get a big head, but the idea that you're the man that you are today, and losing your mom at such a young age, and then the relationship with your dad, the idea that you turned out the way you are. First of all, Like, I don't want to diss on your dad, but that's delusionalf he takes responsibility or credibility for the man you've become. But like, I just want you to know it is pretty crazy, like what a great man you've become, and you should take a lot of pride in yourself for that. Thanks, man, I appreciate that. It's very true. But family doing Family's doing well. Over here.
Speaker 3: Dawson is listen. He's a toddler.
Speaker 1: He throws like these temper chantrums sometimes, and it's like, bro, he just like out of nowhere. If like I if I you know, if I'm rubbing his back, he'll be fine with it for like ten seconds, and then I can tell he's enjoying it, and then out of nowhere he'll be like no, dad, Dad, and then he'll like throw the book. And then I'm like, Okay, what do you want to do and then he'll just like start like shaking his head. I'm like, good god, man. So he's very emotional, but he also hit the highs are so high, and you know, the lows are lows, but the highs are so high, Like they're just because now he's developing his own personality and he's getting more like, uh, excited about things, which gets me excited about things. And it could be the most the dumbest thing, but like we'll start playing a song. I'll start playing, you know, Batman. I'm like, bro, Batman, Batman, And then I'll play the song and then he'll just like Batman and I'm like, oh, dude, just that level of excitement, the way he freaks out over bubbles, good god man, It's just like it reminds you, Wow, what the hell do I even have a concern in life about it? This kid gets just so excited about me being blowing bubbles in his face. So things are good. Ashley's feeling good. She's not nearly as sick as she was last Prejnancy, obviously, and she gets better day by day. Like I can definitely tell this has been.
Speaker 3: A very good week for her. Where she's.
Speaker 1: She's eighteen weeks. I forget in weeks. She's due July twenty ninth, So okay, however, it's fine by though. Next week is March. She's halfway through. Yeah, she's almost there, almost there, and so we're just getting prepared. We got a new stroller the other day, which is cool, and we're trying to get Dawson into his bed. So we our house, we have our bedroom downstairs, Dawson's bedrooms upstairs. Right now, he's still sleeping in his crib, in his bed, it's more like a bed, it's not a crib in our room. But we need to get him out because he needs he'd be in his own room by the time the baby comes, because I'm not gonna have both kids in the room with us.
Speaker 3: I know nothing about kids, so that he does have his own room, but he sleeps in the same room as you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because he usually like he'll wake up, he'll cry. He usually wakes up at like six in the morning. So instead of us going up the stairs and getting him, it's so much easier where we can get him. We put him in our bed, he falls back asleep. You know, he'll sleep until like eight eight thirty for ash, so I'm usually out the door by then. But so it's just easier. You know, it's so much easier. Plus it's just peace of mind. You know, he's not if he's crying in the middle of the night, we don't have to like go upstairs. It's just he's just right there. So that's been nice. But we got to get out of that because, I mean, we can't have a newborn waking up every three hours and waking Dawson upo So he needs to be in his own room. We got him in bed. We're trying to get him out of the crib, but obviously in a bed he can just like roam around the room and do whatever he wants. So that's a little nerve wracking.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine going from sleeping in the same room as my parents as a two and a half year old to then being relegated to a room upstairs while the new baby gets to sleep with the parents.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be very jealous, I think, I know he's gonna be very jealous. But that's why we're having any sibling, you know, teach him about life. Everything's not about you, bro, you know, you gotta share things. Yeah, maybe he does love freedom, like when we go out. We were at Walmart the other day, and also I just noticed that one of our spots is Walmart, which is awesome because I was saying on Instagram that I like Walmart better than Target. I love Target, don't get me wrong, love them both, But I'm just a Walmart guy. I'm sorry. I always happened, always will.
Speaker 2: Be better prices.
Speaker 1: Better pizza, Yeah, Walmart. But what was I going to say something about? Oh when we were at Walmart? I mean, he just like, he's not the type of kid that is just like always looking behind him to see if you're there. He just goes and it's like, all right, well, we got to catch up with him because at one point he's gonna be like on the opposite side of the store and be like Dawson Dawson. So he he he seems okay on his own, which is good.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that because I think I don't know obviously, but I feel like one of the cool things about being a parent would be to like teach him the things that you want him to learn and disregard the things that you don't want to learn, in the sense where it's like, is there anything that you do that you hope he doesn't pick up on?
Speaker 1: Or like that?
Speaker 3: You're trying to make sure he doesn't inherit.
Speaker 1: Like actively right now. It's hard, man, because I think the biggest thing on my mind is just you know, I'm a guy, he's a kid, so we like wrestle, and like sometimes he'll hit me in the face, and obviously I'm fine, but I also at times, like women, I can't let him get away with that because if he's hitting me in the face, he could be hitting mom in the face and that's a completely different story. But it's so hard because I just like wrestle with him. I throw him on the couch like I house with him. And then so in the back of my mind, I'm like, am I teaching him bad habits right now? Like how to just like fight? And I shouldn't be teaching him these things because like it's it's fun, you know, it's just fun when him and I just like go at it. So that's in the back of my mind, I'm like, should I be doing this? Should I be Should I be teaching him? No, you don't hit anybody? But then he like smacks me and it's funny, and then I'll be like ah, and he's laughing hysterically, So uh, that's kind of like where I'm at right now, where I'm like, should I be going easier on him?
Speaker 3: There is a phase though, for every young man, every young boy, I guess, where like fighting is just the coolest thing ever. Yeah, that lasted for a while for me until I was like going on. But yeah, two weeks ago, I was in La drunk with my one of my best friends, and I was like, you know what, Josh, I've never wrestled you, and outleartc It's just me and him in his apartment, So I like lay a blanket down on his living room floor. I take my shirt off, and I know we're wrestling right now, and it's just there's something fun about wrestling. I don't know what it is. It's just really fun.
Speaker 2: What what for our kids? Would you want to not instill in them? Well, it seemed like you had.
Speaker 3: An answer, No I don't, And I mean I kind of agree with what Jared is saying too, Like I would definitely have a rough house and play around, but then there has to be like relyinged drawn at some point or like a like specific this is playtime and you can hit during playtime, but only during playtime kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm sure I have a lot of negative traits that I wouldn't want my kid to inherit as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, personality traits like I'm sure I'll get into when he gets older. Yeah, in terms of like anxiety or stuff like that. I hope he doesn't get that, but I mean he will. It's just human nature.
Speaker 3: The haban nature.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, or I think I was like fifteen, my mom came to my door and she was like, told me traits of my dad, who wasn't in my life. She was like, he's very selfish and said all these things. And she's like, you and heir that, so you need to be very aware like your whole life to.
Speaker 3: Fight that kind of messed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then but she also said we're Native American, and Native Americans struggle with alcoholism. So she was like, knowing that I'm a teenager and probably going to be dabbling into that soon, she was like, you need to be very aware of that. And I was like, kind of at fifteen, like why are you telling me this? But it stuck with me, you know, drinking as I was in high school and college and all of that, and I think it was important, a.
Speaker 3: Little party animal or something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember that first day I came down to the beach in Paradise. She was wasted, folks. Oh yeah, but you don't really drink now.
Speaker 2: I never drink. I'm a mocktail girl.
Speaker 3: It's a shame because you're a lot of fun when you get wasted.
Speaker 2: No, my anxiety lasts for weeks and weeks, and I'm like, I can't deal with it.
Speaker 3: I can't remember when it was, but I do remember. It might have been in Carmel. You like, got drunk for the first time in a while, and you're being crazy, and I was like, it's pretty fun.
Speaker 1: It's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: It was Carmel. Easton said, it was.
Speaker 3: Pretty you with Jess. Yeah, you're getting drunk with your friends. Is always a fun thing to watch, because.
Speaker 2: Especially with Jazz, because Jess and I both don't ever let loose. Yeah, she's my partner in crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, here's to hoping that our kids don't get our negative qualities and get only our positive qualities. I guess that's all we can really hope for these days. But I feel like we probably rambled on enough about food and trauma. So yes, great podcast. Great podcast. Didn't really expect to go anywhere after those initial talks, but yeah, that's gonna do it. For this week's episode of Suckers, thank you guys so much for listening. Be sure to tune in for all of our personal segments. Jared has Daddy Talk going Daddy Talk's doing well. Recorded an episode yesterday. I mean, I think it's going well.
Speaker 1: It's literally just me talking to me, so you should really ask the audience how it's doing because I love the voice, you know, hearing my own voice.
Speaker 3: It's tough. It's tough talking to your well, actually, no, let me say this. I always think it's going to be harder than it is because I've only done a couple episodes just by myself, either Kaylin or like a friend will Beyond, And I'm like, wow, am I going to fill twenty five minutes just talking to myself? And then I start talking and then I look down and it's been twenty five minutes, and I'm like, oh, wow, I actually I did it.
Speaker 1: That's ecodable. I did it. Wow, I did it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, talking to yourself, it's it's definitely a change compared to this because we're used to hosting with each other, whereas like we could you know, we just talked for forty minutes about food and yeah we bounce off each other and stuff.
Speaker 1: So but yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: So listen to Jared's, listen to Kaylin's, listen to mine in that order, and keep listening to this. Maybe next week will suck just a little bit less