Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, the NBA season is in full swing, coming down the stretch. Then we move right into the playoffs in April, May and June. I can't wait. Spice things up with Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner the NBA. Right now, all you have to do is put down five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets. Pretty good trade off. I pay five, I get one hundred and fifty dollars. North Carolina listeners, do not forget. Welcome to the party. Draftking Sportsbook now live in your state, North Carolina. Download the Draftking sports Book app. Takes ninety seconds to code is colin co l I n again ninety seconds download Draftking sports Book app. Put in Colin New customers bet five, get one hundred and fifty back in bonus bets instantly. That is the trade code. Is OHA's colin the Crown is.
Speaker 3: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope in text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill casino in resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See DKNG dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: All right Io on ninety four LSU eighty seven in a rematch, I thought it was incredibly fast paced and fun. The game wasn't really it didn't feel that close. Iowa got more good looks, a lot of at Caitlin Clark forty one points nine for twenty on threes, twelve assists, and the assists are notable. Because you know, why do we have this explosion in women's college basketball? And I think there's two reasons of why you're getting this explosion. Number one is the quality of play is better. You can go back and watch the nineteen seventies NBA, and you can have Doctor J doing things that guys can't do now. I mean the athleticism in the NBA. You can go back to nineteen seventy five, nineteen eighty five men's college basketball. I'd argue it was better you had guys, like, you know, superstar players a team and Clyde Drexler staying for a third or a fourth year. Women's college basketball and the seventies and eighties did not look like this the players now, the distribution, the scoring, the finishing, the passing, the size, the speed of athletes, it's different. I YouTube tonight for fun. I YouTube nineteen eighty women's college basketball. It's just not the same sport. The passing, the ball movement, the cutting. It's clever and it's Tonight's game wasn't shippy at all, but there's, you know, some chippiness, some physicality, and it's enjoy to watch. I mean, folks, ninety four eighty seven, that's like a month, that's December scoring for Virginia men's basketball. How many games in this tournament have you watched on the men's side and thought, can we get to fifty? Can we get to fifty three? Even Duke was painful to watch. But the quality of looks, the quality of shots, and just the quality of distribution and movement is terrific. And a lot of that's because we have multiple generations now of women being encouraged to go be athletes. Wasn't the case in the forties, fifties, maybe in the sixties seventies. So the quality is really good. That's the first part. And the second thing women's college basketball is delivering and producing. What men's college basketball is not continuity. It's not a carousel great players and great rivalries year after year after year. People are creatures. I havebit, I eat the same four things for breakfast the last fifty years. I'm having an oatmeal, I'm having a smoothie, I'm having an omelet. You know, it's the same stuff, and people are creatures of had right our patterns. We like continuity, we like some predictability. And women's college basketball we get a rematch, We get Caitlin Clark for a second year, a third year, a fourth year. The best college men's players, it's a turnstile. Half of them don't even play college basketball. So this is why you can criticize the NBA you can criticize pro sports. There's been a lot of mobility in the NBA, but most of the Warriors have stayed. You know, the Jalen Brown and Tatum aren't going anywhere, Steph Clay, Draymond Green not going anywhere for a long time. Klay Thompson may move now. But I think it's delivering what men's college basketball doesn't, and there are a lot of people in this country that prefer the esthetic, the intensity, the competition, and the rivalries of college basketball or for pro basketball. I like the quality of NBA basketball, but I will say everybody plays the same way. There's not a lot of uniqueness. It's all dunks or threes, and I don't like load management. Clark is going to show up for every game. Angel Reese is going to show up for every game. So Caitlin was the difference tonight in this game, and that's usually the way it works in big games with superstars. Yeah. I thought this kind of lived up to the hype, and I think it was kind of an exhilarating, fun night of basketball that everybody enjoyed. And I think it captivated social media, It captivated the country, and you know, it's another thing I've said this, I grew up an NBA fan, so I'm from the Northwest, and the Sonics and the Blazers both got titles in the seventies. So in my area college basketball wasn't as good. The Huskies had Marv Harshman, the Beavers had Ralph Miller. They were winning programs, but the quality wasn't very good. And the Sonics and the Blazers were great. They were winning titles. So I was an NBA fan. I've got little, you know, newspaper cut out things all over this corked wall in my bedroom, and I think the NBA and baseball were my first love. But you know, one of the things about the NBA that I do think it's a bigger problem than anybody wants to acknowledge. The game is getting international. That's fine. Good basketball is good basketball. But I think load management's are real problem. And when I went to a Celtics Bulls game a couple of Saturdays ago in Chicago, three of the best players for the Celtics sat out. If you're going to sit out a game, sit out on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, those Friday and Saturday night games. Those are date nights. Those are big. That's when you know your son or your daughter don't have school the next day, and those are games that really really matter to a family. A lot of people. I'm one of them. I go to two NBA games a year just because of my schedule. Maybe three. This year I've been to two. I'm going to a Knicks Bulls game this weekend or this Friday in Chicago. But I think it matters. And watching the women tonight, I'm like, like I knew multiple starters for teams, continuity, repetition, predictability, storylines. That's why ninety percent of the revenue in cinema today is remakes and sequels. You know, people want to be invested in a plot, so this is the big rematch. I just I think it's really important. I think Adam's Silver has been a bit two player friendly and accommodating. But I thought a big part of tonight is we all knew who. We knew it was Angel Rees and Kim Moulkey and Caitlyn Clark, and we knew the rivalry and it got testy and chippy last year. It's a big part of sports, it's a big part of movies. Remakes, sequels, and it was fun and the game flew by. Refs got out of the way. Mostly, I thought, between Juju Watkin is at USC, Angel Rees Caitlin Clark. The only men's basketball player that rivals that in terms of star power is Zach Edie for Purdue. And I do think Yu Kon is a I don't know if they're historically great. They're great for twenty twenty four. They're great for men's basketball, but I think three of the four biggest stars in March have been on the women's side. And you know, we can talk about the purity of the game, and we love the game. America love stars. We're a very fast paced, frenetic society. We're all distracted. We've all got on our phones. You know, we're doing a million things. We like stars. Stars get us to a theater, they get us to a game, and Caitlyn Clark has that kind of power. I mean, now, Angel Reese is great too, but Caitlin Clark's kind of unique shooting range. I was joking on social media. Her shooting range is somewhere around Hey, I'm driving to the arena. I'll be there soon. Some of her shots are just insane, not even sure they're good shots going or not, They're just shots that she takes and with relative ease. So the star power matters. You can talk about the quality of anything, but brands matter. Star power matters, and Caitlin Clark has it. I was trying to think during the first half of the game. I was kind of googling and thinking about the biggest stars in the history of college basketball, and that the first big star to me was Pat Summit, and then there was you know, Nancy Lieberman, and then Cheryl Miller, and then then the Yukon was sort of a collective. I do think Maya Moore is about as good as players I've ever seen. It was either coach or program or Cheryl Miller, Caitlin Clark, I think is is just a comment and like, you know, what's also great about it is it's almost like I was watching the Steve Martin documentary the other day, and you know, all movie stars have ups and down, even Marlon Brando, Tom Hankstanzel, good movies, bad movies. The thing about Caitlin Clark is she just keeps delivering every time, Like every time I tune in, like tonight, You're like, Okay, she'll have thirty one forty one twelve assists, and she just it's like it would be like having, you know, six sequels to a movie, and everyone's better than the next. So that's rare. Everybody has stinkers, Brady Mahomes, It's got kind of a Tiger Woods feel to it. She's got kind of like every time I watch and anticipate, she just delivers. And women's college basketball this year has really done that. I had a blast for the last two hours watching that game, two and a half hours, and I hope you did as well. Congrats to IOWA and LSU's a hell of a team. Kim Molki can drive a lot of people in the media nuts, but doesn't she have two natties two different schools. That's pretty good. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Coach.
Speaker 2: Listen, college coaches have a lot of power on a campus. They have a right to an opinions, even if I don't agree with them. And as a sportscaster, you're always looking for big games. NFL season mondays are easy shows. I'm always looking for big games in the offseason. So thank you to women's basketball, LSU and Iowa and Kaylin Clark and Angel Rees for delivering a great night of entertainment. We talk a lot about these quarterbacks, and I have said before that I think Cayleb Williams is the most talented and like an Andrew Luck, he will succeed at some level even if he got their own coach gm O line roster. And I do think Ryan Poles has had He's redeemed himself. He's had a very good to nine months, so I think he may have the right former offensive lineman looks like the O line. There's some hits there with his draft capital the last three years. But let's go. Let's let's reverse the telescope. If I said to you, we know of these top five or six, two are not going to work. We know it right now. And I've said I think Caleb's good enough to overcome everybody else will be as good as where they land. I think JJ McCarthy in New England is a bust. I think JJ McCarthy in Minnesota with that talent and coach that division which is light on defense, heavy on scoring, works. If I said to you, guess give me two that if you had to put the odds on, it won't work. See now, I think Boone Nicks is going to fall and ended up falling to like a McVeigh or a Peyton. You know, I kind of think bon Nicks is not talented enough to overcome, whereas I think Jaden Daniels isn't either, But he's going to go to three or four and that's problematic. So I would get Jade and Daniels to me is like, oh no, I think he can succeed, but the top three quarterbacks are going to defensive coaches working with new OC's three for three. So give me the guy that you worry about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to me, he'd have to be first given. You know, I don't want to. It's unfair to compare him to a guy who's won two MVPs. But his game is parallel some of Lamar. Right now, he throws it pretty. He probably throws it better outside the hashes down the field, but I do think that type player. Early on in his career, Lamar went to the Ravens, who literally pivoted mid season, changed their whole offense around. It's not just one of the highest level, you know, sports teams, like one of the higher level business is probably in America. The way they've operated for twenty plus years, so he got I know, it sucks fall into thirty two, but he got pretty lucky. Jade Daniels, that's probably not gonna happen, right, He's going to go in the top five, and more than likely you're not getting a competent operation. So if he goes to the New England page, that's pretty scary. I mean, their offensive talent is a disaster. Listen, I'm not trying to judge you on the coaches picture, but Jeron Males wearing like a T shirt, he looked disheveled. I know he's a high level, impressive guy, but I don't know. Man. I'm saying that tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, the drop off that's about to come from Bill Belichick to what's going on the crash refused to name a general manager. Elliot Wolf's kind of doing it. I think it's going to be a rough go for that. And then the JJ McCarthy. My comfort Enid is Alex Smith. Alex Smith has success when he had Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid. One guy's basically a chubbier version of Bill Walsh and Jim Harbaugh is one of the more successful college NFL coaches we've ever seen. When he had Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary, it was a disaster. They were chanting for David Carr. So that that's very fickle, right. Certain physical talents like Josh Allen probably would have succeeded no matter what. Right, he's just physically too gifted. Even Herbert, even as down years ago, I still see a lot there. Two was a good example, kind of like Jared Goff, much less physical attributes. When it's not going well, you're like, what the hell is this? Good coaching, good offensive weaponry.
Speaker 2: Good contection. Golf, Yeah, two and golf are very much about protection and coach Herbert has gone to the playoffs and has yet to get even a remotely competent coach.
Speaker 4: And I would take Jared Goff all day over to it just on the simple fact he's bigger. I think he just throws the better ball. And on the flip side, you know, I don't know if you saw all those numbers from Pennix, but you and I have talked about this before, a lot of comparisons to to A and then you see him run like a four or five five, and he jumps thirty seven inches, and I think Kobe jumped thirty six. So I'm not comparing him as an athlete to Kobe Bryant, but he's a really good athlete. Yeah, I mean that's so I know, you don't see it as much on film because he wasn't asked to play that way they had, you know, I think they thought they had the best offensive line in the country. Then they met Michigan, but they had an excellent offensive line, right, So he wasn't getting touched. I think he was only sacked like what eleven times. It's like averaging less than one a game. But he clearly can move right. So you could get a guy in some of these Shanahan offenses or Sean Payton to get him on the move a little bit. He has it in him. I clearly his film as a pocket passer is pretty special. Questions with injuries, that's scary. But I heard a podcast probably within the last six months of Dubor talking about when he first got to Indiana and they recruited him. Was he was recruited as more of a dual threat guy, and then he had the injuries and they just got away from it. But he physically I was pretty. That was an eye opening experience to see those. I would have guessed he's like a four to eight guy and not a great athlete, but he's not like Tua. Remember he hurt his hip his last year in college, so he couldn't work out. He ain't running a four or five. He ain't sniffing and listen to. Was a pocket quarterback, which I thought Penix was too. But you see these athletic numbers, kind of like the CJ. Stroud. Now he did it more on film in that Georgia game. But one thing we know about CJ. Pocket quarterback but has athletic attributes to kind of move around when it hits the fan, which in the NFL it inevitably does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think JJ McCarthy only works if he goes to like, let's say a Minnesota. I think that that's a furnished apartment for a young quarterback. Everything set up. They don't have to pay rent for a year. Donold's paying rent for a year. He'll take the hits and the bruises. Then you step in the Giant Pennicks. Oh, I don't. I don't like anybody to the Giants. I don't like anybody, right, now to the Giants. So I would say, Pennix to my Miami to be the next two, Pennix to Seattle Works. I think they're kind of ready to roll his offensive coordinator. I think McCarthy and Minnesota Works.
Speaker 4: To Rams is a sleeper for him.
Speaker 2: Well, the Rams a sleeper for a lot of people. So they're one of those teams that has been very successful without first round picks. This is their first first round or in a long time, and they're at nineteen. I could see the sliding down if bon Nicks is there and you start I've been in a war room before you have, and you slide down and you're like, well, the next four teams don't need quarterbacks. If it's you know, at nineteen, you're getting into like Dallas May, but they need some pieces. I could see the Rams going and saying we're gonna take bon Nix and he's gonna sit for two years. I could totally see that happening. So I think bon Knicks to me again like a Panix, like a JJ McCarthy, it's going to be the spot. But bone Knicks may be the luckiest of all because the truth is if he goes and I think he probably will. I think Denver is the last chance for him. Then there's gonna be a long stretch of people that aren't going to move up. Like if you start looking at the teams that need quarterbacks, it's not a surprise they're mostly in the top twelve and thirteen. That's why they're bad teams. Yeah, so I think bone Knicks. I think the Rams would roll the dice on bon Knicks because the stets in Bennett didn't work. Stafford feels like he's heard at least once or twice a year that one's interesting. This draft does feel like to me, it's got about five guys. I don't see Marvin Harrison Junior missing. I think he's just I don't think Brock Bowers is missing. Joe Alt. Those guys jump out to me. Is the kid at Oregon State, the right tackle who like you can't find bad tape on him. It does feel like this draft. But like the there are players in this draft. I think sometimes receivers can be very dependent on the environment and the quarterback. Quarterbacks are very dependent on several people, including the play caller. But if I said to you two guys in the draft, as a former scout because I always thought Patrick willis the ole miss linebacker. I was told by a GM thirty two teams he'd worked for. I was told Aiden Hutchison out of Michigan, Like that's going to work. I'm trying to think of somebody else. Calvin Johnson, was Fitzgerald, Julio Jones. I mean, the right they're gonna work is give me the two guys here. Let's say they go to a lousy situation. You cannot see failing.
Speaker 4: What I don't see how it's possible for a kid from Napa, California to go to the best program in the country at Georgia and brock Bauers, I would say pretty immediately as a freshman in the definitely the most athletic conference in the country, was one of their best players, and by year two or three, he's arguably the best player in the country pound for pound, as good as.
Speaker 2: Anybody, most productive tight end I've ever seen in college.
Speaker 4: So you get this guy that goes It would have been easy for a West Coast guy go to Oregon, go to USC, even in Oklahoma or Texas. Snuckle. He went all the way to where the pressure was brightest and dominated I don't see, and I know there's comparison that doesn't really block. Well, the game's changed a lot. We have a lot more of these hybrid tight ends, a lot more of the Travis Kelcey style. He's very like any receiver dependent on a quarterback to throw them the ball. Obviously, but how's he not going to be a good NFL pro? I saw some of his measurables they put right next to laporta very similar size, a little harder to judge. I think sometimes those big ten tight ends because you're like, well, who's the you know, defenders he playing against? There's no debate think about the guys he went and practiced against Colin. If I was a scout, I wouldn't even need to watch game table, Like, can I just get your Georgia practice tape from a year ago?
Speaker 3: Your entire draft when the you know, eleven guys.
Speaker 4: On defense wet uh? So I think they had eighteen guys on defense go over a two year span. I can't imagine Kirby's like, yeah, we couldn't cover him there either, So I don't see how it's possible. The I was texting about sometimes height at tackle, like there's six ' six, like a Trent Williams, Jason Peters. I think Lane Johnson sixt' five, like six ' eight, six ' nine, can get a little tall because Von Miller or Nick bost of these guys where they are to the ground, it's just hard to touch them. But from what I've heard about Joe allt it's just his athleticism. I just don't see how he's not gonna be good now. The one thing with him, because I was texting, I was like, should the Chargers if they get stuck, just take them. They're like, well, you already get the left tackle. Just get a touchdown guy for Herbert. You can get a right tackle maybe in the second round. You've already got that position. You don't need to force it. If you do get stuck there, just take whoever you think the best skilled guy is. And there are some talented guys, and most people believe the three wide receivers, and you and I talked about I saw James Jones, which I understand a lot of the players are like, God, it's bullshit. Marvin Harrison isn't doing anything. When all the other guys worked out, all the quarterbacks, all the wide receivers. I heard neighbors at the LSU pro day, which I don't know if you saw some pictures I think was a zoo of NFL people. Yeah, I was like, Okay, Marvin, wats this because he you know, he thinks he's gonna go number one. I defend Marvin in the sense he's everything he's doing is because his dad's telling him. And when your dad's in the Hall of Fame, if he tells you jump, you say how high? So it's like, I don't believe it's his own choice. I'm not saying he's not agreeing to it, but what's he supposed to do? Tell his dad? He doesn't know what he's talking about. But that that neighbors Connie ran a four. He's a fantastic tape I mean, dominating the SEC ran a four to three five and jump forty two inches. I mean pretty rare athlete. So you know, it's hard. I don't know what to gauge on Harbaugh. I think I said you and I talked about this last week about the wide receivers, and someone hit me up, like the Ravens have taken wide receivers over the years. Yeah, in the twenties when they're good, when they've drafted high. Told Nada it's Ronnie Stanley now that I don't know if that guy's really here, right. There's not a great pass rusher in this the Bama guy, I don't think he's viewed as a top ten player. Like we talked about, they don't need a left eckle. You could, I guess, take the Oregon State guy. There probably be a little rich but I don't know. You know, if Harbaugh didn't take Marvin Harrison. He's seen him back to back years, right and see him on crossfilm for three years at Michigan, that'd be a little interesting, neighbors is from what you know. He's had some incidents over the years, but his talent. I think they feel he's pretty buttoned up right now. Rome honestly feels kind of like a Harbaugh guy. But I don't know. I think the Chargers are fascinating, But yeah, I would go Brock Bowers. I don't see how he's not if you got if you gave him a if you just put him on the Chargers, which I don't think, you know that he would immediately make like nine ten you know, ish million dollars in a tight end. The franchise tags twelve, So ideally taking a tight end that high, you're already paying him premium money. But I think he'd be a premium player immediately. I think he would dominate. If you told me Brock Bowers on the Chargers next year, I'd be like, he catches eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Balls when you nine touchdowns. I mean, here's the other thing. Letting Gerald Everett go to the Bears. They don't have I mean, they're they're they're well below average in the NFL at tight end. And so and Herbert I mean, can you imagine him having a six to six target, you know, because he was so he's been so effective with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. I mean, so he's one of those guys that will throw guys open. A lot of young quarterbacks, don't hew he throws young guys open.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I first heard of Danny Parkins from Nick Wright, who had said, Hey, I work with this guy. And then I go to Chicago regularly and listened, and I thought, Wow, this guy's about the best young guy I've heard in the country. So I did sports radio for a while and then I wanted to create mostly out of survival. When I was at ESPN, I said, guys, I've got to create a simulcast. AM radio is not a dynamic next ten year horizon. And so ESPN did not think I was talented enough to be on ESPN two. Apparently, so I said, all right, well, jettison this place. I do appreciate it and things have gone well. But when I went to television, I always did a show with a lot of football. But I think I have moved in the direction of more football. Part of that is when you can see a TV number every day, you see what's working and you see what's not, and football almost always works. Secondarily, though big beat small scale beats up boutique, the NFL makes everything now look small. I think it's well run. I think sports gambling helps. I think it's better on television. I think other leagues have made mistakes. One and done. Is her college basketball mends anyway? What percentage of your show? Mind about seventy percent NFL. I don't want to be in the NFL network, I pushed back. I've talked to a lot of college basketball in the last two or three weeks. What percentage of yours is NFL.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it depends on the time, right, I mean, we're Cubs Opening Day. We're doing a ton of Cubs. We're the home of the Cubs. But even leading into that, the Bears have been the dominant storyline with the last two years having the number one overall pick. They're the biggest story in the NFL for the offseason, so obviously they're the biggest story here. So even with a two team town, there's only three cities that have two baseball teams, Baseball on the radio is still incredibly powerful. You know, the Cubs are the biggest client to my radio station, six seventy four by far. We're still and I wish the number was higher. My co host is a bigger baseball guy. It's over fifty percent for football, even in opening day week with two teams in town, because it's all about Caleb Williams and the ninth pick and are the Bears on the com and all of that, and the other thing, at least in this market that I would say is football's the great unifier. When I was growing up kid in the nineties in Chicago, the Bulls were king. The Blackhawks weren't even on TV, But there were people that were Blackhawks fans and not Bulls fans, even at that period of time, and certainly when they had their dynastic run with three titles, the Hawks kind of overtook the Bulls as being the toughest ticket in town and that sort of thing. Cubs in white, Sox split, Blackhawks and Bulls split. Everybody cares about the Bears. Everybody has an opinion on the Bears. And for the national side of it, yeah, sports, gambling, yeah, fantasy. But I think like the simplest way to explain it is that it's every game matter. It's one of seventeen and no other league has that. If I miss Bulls Hawks and I don't talk about it on the show the next day, we don't get a single text call or tweet being like, hey, you missed this really important thing. Because if a really important thing happens, I see about it on social media, it cuts through we talk about it.
Speaker 2: But if you came on the Monday after.
Speaker 1: A Bears Packers game, or a Bears Lions game, or a Bears Jaguars game, or a Bears Bucks game, whomever, even if they were five and ten, and you didn't do four hours on the Bears game, the ramifications who played well, who didn't, who's going to get fired, who's going to get extended? All those things, people would think you were insane. So it's the great unifier. And the thing that it has is that every game matters, and the rhythm of it, I think is great. You play a game on Sunday, you react on Monday. The coach and the quarterbacks speak on Monday, and quarterback speaks on Wednesday. You start looking ahead to the next then there's a Thursday night game. Teams in your division matter. It's just a for local sports radio, national TV. There's just such a great rhythm to football.
Speaker 2: So I didn't like Ryan Poles initially, Velis Jones, I watched them at USC could not track the ball. I mean that, I literally text you GMS and I'm like, he doesn't know what he's doing. That he can't play. He's a point that he can't play. So I watched USC maybe more than Ryan Poles. And then there was the Chase Claypool, which I defended because of the body type, but Chase ended up going sideways and not being very mature. And so my takeaway is I don't trust, the ownership, Ryan Poles, Matt Eberflus, and then probably knowing he butchered VELAs Jones, and knowing that there are certain things about offense like line play. I think he's drafted it pretty well that he knows. He went and got DJ Moore, he went and got Keenan Allen and moved Mooney and I thought, oh, and then he brings in Gerald Everett and he's swift, who's a good he can catch the ball to the backfield, and I'm like, oh, no new information. I think Ryan Poles knows what he's doing. I think his last six move, I love the Monte Sweat move. It got heat. But I'm like, folks, there's nobody in the second round as good as Montes.
Speaker 1: Sweat, right, and no guarantee you to get him in free agency. That's right, But what is the takeaway? Because the Bears Eberflus has been criticized, the ownership has where is everybody sitting on your GM, which in football is such a substantial position because the rosters are so big and there's so many moves to make. I don't know how you could have any grade on him other than an A. It doesn't mean that he's perfect, and you've listed a few of the big misses, like Dayles Jones is the first offensive player that he ever selected, But it was in the third round. Teams miss on third round picks all the time. Chase Claypool, it was a panic move. It was I'm trading away Rokwan Smith. I'm trading away Robert Quinn. I'm carrying the most dead cap space of any team in the league. But I am trying to be fair to Justin Fields, who an eleven out of ten as a person, and I'd like to figure out if I have something here, I've got to give him something. And he overtraded for the traits of Chase Claypool, and I think he undervalued the personal stuff because then when he learned the mistake from that and he trades for Montes Sweat, there were a lot of people saying, trade for Chase Young off that defense line, more talented, better pedigree player, all that stuff. But he loafs, he takes plays off. He but in Montes Sweat, whatever he's got, he's given it to you. And so I think he that is a direct because it's the exact same trade. It's a second round pick for an established player that you're hoping to pay. They paid Montes sweat. They obviously didn't pay Claypool. So I think also with anything learning, proving that you learn from your mistakes and that you don't double down, that's a sign of intelligence to me. So to me like it's like, yeah, did it start a little choppy, no question. But he also inherited one of the oldest teams in the league with a ton of bad contracts, a quarterback that someone else drafted, no first round pick in his first year, So his first draft picks are second round picks, both of them, by the way, pretty good. Kyler Gordon and Jawan Brisker, two guys who are starters in one of the best young secondaries in football. Then when he gets a first round pick, a lot of us are saying, Jalen Carter, Jalen Carter, Jalen Carter, you need a three technique for this defense. He moves down from nine to ten, picks up an extra fourth round pick, drafts Darnell right right tackle to support the quarterback. He makes all rookie team looks like he's going to be a starter at right tackle for ten years, and then the biggest thing by far, and the Sweat one was big, and the Keenan Allen was big. Is He trades the number one overall pick and picks the right team to trade to gets d J Moore gets the second round pick, that is Tyreek Stevenson, another starter cornerback who was really damn good last year, gets the first round pick this year, which is going to be you know, Caleb Williams, a once in a generation quarterback prospect. He has their second round pick next year from Carolina and oh yeah, by the way, DJ Moore. So it's one of the great I mean, people will reference the Herschel Walker trade. It is truly one of the great trades in my ODDNFL history. If Caleb Williams is everything that you and I in the vast majority of people think that he will be, They've got a very good cap situation. They've got very good players in their athletic prime Jalen Johnson, Tremaine Edmunds, Montes, Sweat Cole Comet, DJ Moore. These guys are all twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven years old, under contract, good players on rookie deals. Brisker, Gordon, Tyreek Stevenson, Darnell Wright, Tevin Jenkins, who I hadn't mentioned, And now you're going to inject the ninth overall pick, whoever he ends up taking. And there's a ton of great options. And Caleb willia was and a good quarterback on a rookie deal. The Bears should be set up under Ryan Poles for a really long runway of success.
Speaker 2: Here you kind of moved into a space, as far as I can tell, you were not really a Justin's Fields guy. And the city was you know, of course they're clinging to it working. How the Bears were clinging to it They wanted to say, we'll get nine picks for Caleb Williams. Everybody wanted it to work. So what is it like now, probably for the first time in your career as being a villain for a few months.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is fascinating. I'm gonna take off my headset for just one second because this will this will make sense. So because this is there's an exact moment when my likability plummeted, and wow, I just have to pull out a prop real quick. I didn't know we were gonna talk about this hold on, so I I commissioned a Caleb Williams thirteen Bears jersey the day they got the number one pick. So with a week left in the season, and so Justin Fields is still on the Bears.
Speaker 3: It's been.
Speaker 1: He's likable, he's fun, he's exciting. He was voted the eighty sixth best player in the NFL coming off of the twenty twenty two season when they had the most dead cap space and no one else get on the team. People love Justin Fields, and the Bears did not treat him well and it was not fair and they did not build around him. In the situation that Caleb is walking into is a thousand times, but life isn't fair. And I was like, listen, here's the thing. I like hangarsteak, but I've got a chance for eight five WAGU and it's cheaper for some reason, for some reason, the Wago is cheaper than the hangers bake. Like, I'm going to go for it every time. And so when I people are like I because now everyone's pumped for Caleb. But I was just like, this is how it's going to end. And I told him how it was going to end before they were ready to hear how it was going to end, and if I would have just had the take, people would have really disagreed. But for for some reason, the fact that I spent one hundred and forty dollars on a jersey and like became a prop comic for a minute and like showed, like I showed you how positive I was that this was how it was gonna end. Buddy, were people mean to me on the internet? Like, man, But it's so weird about the whole thing is that I'm gonna be right. Like I bet mischter Bisky at two hunderd to one to an MVP blew up in my face. I said there was a zero percent chance the White Sox we're gonna hire Tony LaRussa blew up in my face. Like I've been wrong plenty of times. We did give twenty hours a week of opinions. You're gonna be wrong all the time. But man, did people hate this jersey. But now it's gonna be the number one selling jersey in the NFL for the next like five years. So I'm a I don't know if you knew this. I'm a fashion icon, I'm a trendsetter. I'm ahead of the curve. People are dressing like me now, and I frankly love it. But yeah, did I have it on my on my board that the thing that would make me most hated is the thing that I have been the most right about. No, I didn't. I did not expect that to be how my how my.
Speaker 2: Career is gone.
Speaker 1: But now people are being pretty nice because they're pretty excited about kayb Boyance the volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review