Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories done done?
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 1: In Sview podcast, I'm Liza Traeger. I'm Kara Klank you guys hopefully by now. Episode two eighty six, Get the Drill It's SVU episode recaps true crime deep dives and interviews with actors and other interesting people.
Speaker 2: Were trust the dollars and I need people to start talking about it. I need because people respect. But some people are like, oh, how do you choose someone? How do you choose guests for your podcast? I go, do you even know what I'm doing here? I got a lot of investigations or something.
Speaker 1: Someone will be like, my husband plays a waiter with no lines. Do you want to talk to him? I'm like, what would what would we what would.
Speaker 4: We talk about?
Speaker 2: Honestly, we could find things to talk about. That's our skill. That another skill we have that would be able to talk to him.
Speaker 1: But we do try to get people that are at least in a one meaty scene.
Speaker 2: One meaty scene is but we would take questlove as a dead body. That's true.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so that's different that one dead body I would take or what well, No, I was just gonna say it. Continuing our our constant quest for expertise in the field of law and order and the SPU universe, we did talk about exhumations on the last episode Bound and we did get a ping from our list one of our listeners who is a forensic anthropologist, and she said, regarding your exhamation question, she goes, I, actually we had to apply for a grant to do this work. Here's a quick breakdown because we were wondering, like who pays for an exhormation? Like is it the family? Is it the cops? Like is it the courts? Like who pays for that? How does that get done? She said? Processes vary by state and district. Cemeteries are typically involved and compensated for equipment. Petitions go through attorneys at the request of the EMMY, police, et cetera. For cold cases, grants can be applied for or the requesting police department EMY can cover the costs. Families can sometimes pay depending on local laws, but they would pay for everything. Exhamations are usually only approved for unexplained, sudden, violent, or suspicious deaths, so you can't like exzoom your grandma that like just past dinner sleep. Cost Wise, full service companies legal through actual exclamation run about ten thousand per case, not including scientific analysis. Exhamation alone typically ranges five k to ten k, cheaper than I thought. To be honest, I thought a government service they would be patting that shit. I thought it was gonna be like thirty K to take a body out of the ground, and it's five to ten k just to get the body out of the ground, usually dependent on the digging vendor. Love this information. Thank you so much to our extremely talented listener who gave us all the information about exhamations.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. And then I had a message that I'm not finding but the old woman that killed everyone, the like the one the from bound that at the same episode, someone knows someone that lived in that house afterwards, Dorothea or Dorothea's house. Yeah yeah, So whoa kind of thrilling or not or distasting yeah yeah, or Sam Dam dam or scary as fuck.
Speaker 1: I mean, our listeners are so connected. People are like I've vacation, I've I've met the Murdochs down in South Carolina. Like when we talk about stuff, everyone's like, I actually know the guy who had too many babies, gave too much sperm and had too many babies, Like we like, you know you guys never cease to amaze a sou Please keep the personal connections coming, Kara.
Speaker 2: I was at like a big dinner yesterday, probably like you know, an event type thing, and a friend at the other end of the table goes, wait, who's poking holes in condoms? And I'm like John Stamo's in SVU, Like that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they just overheard you. Yeah. I just never take a day off, you know what I mean, No day's off.
Speaker 2: Or like when people see me in Soul Cycle and I'm in an SVU sweatshirt, I'm like, I do I live, I walk the walk.
Speaker 1: I walk the talk. I do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I truly do it. No.
Speaker 1: I'm always talking about parenting issues with people and I'm like, and you know what can happen? And people are like, wow, that's dark. I go you know you know who you were talking to, Like, yeah, this is what I'm researching and reading all day. Wait what are you gonna?
Speaker 2: What's the theme for Oscar's birthday? What is he asking for? What does he want?
Speaker 1: So his birthday is today, as I mean as not the day we're recording this, but the day this is coming out. Thank you, So happy birthday, Oscar. Everybody drop a happy birthday Oscar comment and I will show them to him.
Speaker 2: No, but he.
Speaker 1: You know, he's still on his Butterflies Unicorns kick. He's getting a new pink and purple bike. I got him a little butterfly bell for it and a little cute helmet. He's getting some more Gabby's dollhouse stuff to add to the dollhouse that you gave him for his birthday a couple of years ago. He still needs a couple of rooms for that, cause you know, you can't just buy the dollhouse comes with a couple of rooms, but you got to buy the rest of the rooms. You know, That's how these things work. Get them hooked. He's getting like a couple of Yodo cards all this stuff. He's not actually having a birthday party. We're going to Knotsberry Farm and he's really excited. And they've never been cute because you know, we've been doing experiences over parties. So we're doing a little we're doing a little note and he'll bring cupcakes to school and everything, and he really wants me to get a goodie bag. But the goodie bags are just literally plastic trash.
Speaker 2: But you know what, my sister would do one big thing, like why don't you You can get kids like a journal and a pen, right, we.
Speaker 1: Did for rosies a few years ago. We got them little clipboards, and we gave with coloring pages, and we gave them crayons. I have to I gotta get on that. It's like it's it's very coming up.
Speaker 2: So what about those things that's like a mitt with the velcro and you can throw the ball? Oh yeah, those are cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there has to be.
Speaker 2: Something that's also not expensive but actually like a one big usable thing, because I get what you mean.
Speaker 1: You don't want a bag of trash, a bag of trash. And then it's like times eighteen. It's like even if I find something like, you know, cute, for like ten dollars, its like times eighteen, I'm spending two hundred bucks on these goodie bags.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, it's just like you know, I thought goodie bags would have ended, like, I can't believe goodie bag culture.
Speaker 1: Is no if God culture is all live and well. I thought we all agreed to stop, and it's alive and well, like people are doing it and I got something to say.
Speaker 2: You got something bad about bags? But my sister always at such good party, isn't she just always try to do one big gift. But she also like in her house, because we all have shopping addictions and stuff, she had like a gift drawer, so like if you needed a last minute gift, you could just go to this closet and it has gifts.
Speaker 1: My friend's mom had that, and I was always like, that's so luxurious. You know, what is this good or bad? I think this was cute.
Speaker 2: Like the kids like and they spend as much money as the kid is turning. Oh so if everyone just brings seven dollars for the seven year old's party, and then everyone then it's like, you know, fifteen kids come and then he can and then here she can go buy whatever he wants. Yeah, yeah, that's a great.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we say no gifts, I will say I will say no gifts is getting more popular.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, Yes, but then everyone's still gonna bring a gift. There's no way I'm gonna come to a kids party and not bring a gift. There's just no way in hell the way. There's no way in hell do books do a there's no that is actually specif against your culture. And I can't believe I brought it up for a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well now I'm want to redd it. Now I'm on to redd it at all party favorite bags that aren't plastic jumps, so I'll be down this rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: Or like the but the blind box gifts aren't cheap, like do you know? Like that's because I was like, those are like surprise things are so fun. But yeah, you know, I don't know. I love stickers, but that's you know, maybe it's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stickers and temporary tattoos are really big, so maybe I'll I'll look into that.
Speaker 2: But I have a tale.
Speaker 1: I have a story. Okay, what's the tale?
Speaker 2: So I go into soul cycle like I do, and it's Sunday and a girl is on the verge of tears like one of my young you know, one of my young friends, and I go, what's going on? She's talking too she's in distress. She goes, I just got scammed. I tried to get Moona tickets. I spent four hundred dollars and it's a fake ticket.
Speaker 1: Do I try?
Speaker 2: I go? I know them, I go, I bet I can get you a ticket. And so I I text Naomi from Muna, which is insane of me because they're clearly getting ready for a show. Like Also, I have to preface. I had to margaritas in a shot before class on a net, so I'm sorry. I forgot to wait. What well, because it was like a warm ass day and I went to the park to read.
Speaker 1: It was a Sunday.
Speaker 2: I went to the park to read, and then I went to a bar in my neighborhood for a meal and it was two to five, was a happy hours dollar fifty East Coast oysters. So I had oysters, a couple of margarita's. I'm friends with the bartender. I got a free a free shot. Yeah. And then I went to soul Cycle. So I was also feeling loose. I don't know if what I did is embarrassing. But then I texted Kate Berlant and yeah, they set it up. So I brought I brought this person to Muna and I wouldn't have gone, which is crazy because I love Muna and it was electric. Anyone that I was thinking of going in the fall on their tour, you have to go. The new album is so good. They're such good performers. It's also like the sexiest tattest show. I was like, Kate, are you just like horny every show? Like it's just like such a sexual show. The lighting's incredible. There's such good performers. They played the whole album and then they played like five other songs and it was incredible.
Speaker 1: It was incredible, and it's weird. I wouldn't have gone. Do you know, are you friends with this girl from Soul Cycle or it's like a just like an acquaintance or acquaintance. So it was weird of course. And yeah, she's like twenty four. She's a very nice thing to do.
Speaker 2: You know me with a couple margerite, I will buy all the costumes for Shrek, like I'll do whatever, like if you catch me I had me a little tipsy, I'll set it up. But then I think to the matter, like then I of course, I'm like, was it weird? Did I do something weird, did I bring like a child to this show? Like should I have just let her? Like should I have let her barrow her own friend and I go separate? But at the end of the day, like who cares? And it was fun.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's so great. It's like I went into soil Cycle and this girl at so Cycle got me and like the honestly, probably just makes you feel better about losing four hundred fucking bucks, you know, yeau, we are in the age of the damn scam. So yeah, we met for a margarita, like it was a crazy thing.
Speaker 2: And then I questioned if like what I did was like annoying and weird, should I send them something?
Speaker 1: But I'm glad I saw the concert. I think it's great. I just can't believe I'm evening everything. Listen, have I worked out after a happy hour? Absolutely not since I was twenty six, probably, Like no, I impressed myself daily.
Speaker 2: Oh you don't know what stand. I impressed myself constantly, Like because listen, when you know, when the weather hits in New York, there's nothing like it not turning down.
Speaker 1: I'm having a midday drink. But you also got to get to the gym. And stay healthy, you know.
Speaker 2: And then I ended up at Moona that night like I was just gonna clean. I'm just gonna have a chill Sunday. It was actually like quite exhausted. I think, you know, I did spots till late at night. But I woke up this morning and I wasn't feeling I'll be on it. I wasn't doing well. But then I opened my laptop to watch the mes views for our profession and I look at my screen. Is me blacked out drunk signing up for three food bank shifts for June.
Speaker 1: Just like, no, I think it's good. I think it's good. Of course you're working out, you're drunk giving to charity or donating your time to charity. You're drunk giving helping people that have been scammed. I mean, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'm such a fun drunk, like I really am.
Speaker 1: I think knock on wood.
Speaker 2: I really don't want it to ever shift, you know, I don't want to get too cocky. But then so after I went to an event yesterday. It was supposed to be chill, but then me and two other girls were like, let's just grab one more, and it's New York. So the patios aren't real, and it was like in the streets and it was like covered like the plastic horses, and the other two girls didn't want to sit there, and I went, Okay, you guys are ring fucking annoying. What because it's plastic, Like, let's fucking sit outside. A garbage truck comes immediately immediately, so now it's like we are sitting at the table as and the garbage truck had work to do, so it was like like five minutes. It was five minutes in our faces. Even the server was like, wow, what a nightmare. I'm like yeah. But then I'm amazing now that I'm obsessed with this bar in my you know, I've had my coffee shop, and now that I found this bar, it's open till four, kitchen till four. What yeah?
Speaker 1: Ah, that's that would have really solved am And then I started talking to a guy next to me, and he works at this other spot that I go to.
Speaker 2: So I'm about to even hit a new level in my neighborhood. Like yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited for this summer. I'm like I'm pumped.
Speaker 1: And if you're on, if you're on the Upper West Side. French Roast still open, but not twenty four hours anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I went to the selk. I mean I've had Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't say this. I walked past Dexter Resurrection shooting in the streets of New York got up. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was stand ins.
Speaker 2: It was fucking stand ins, like they were just setting up lighting and the PA is kept like, keep it moving, keep it moving, and I kept doing circ I like wouldn't leave, and then a PA was like.
Speaker 1: You guys, can you just please you have to.
Speaker 2: Move, and I go, We're obsessed, get over it, Like what do you want from us?
Speaker 1: It's a fandom bitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, but yeah, it was stand ins, but it was I just lost my fucking mind.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I was with people.
Speaker 2: I'll show you a photo of my face, me reacting to seeing to seeing it like this is my true natural like.
Speaker 1: Bliss, blissful, like so happy, that's so good. And it's like, you know, you know the business, like you know that. That poor PA is like, please, I'm gonna get fired if I don't get you guys off the cot upset.
Speaker 2: I know, but that's the risk you take shooting in the streets of New York. Like, I don't know what you want from us. I'm wearing my Dexter Morgan bracelet every day of my life. Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe if I showed him my bracelet, you'd understand. But I was gonna say, you could have seen. You could have run into our friend of the pod Kadi or off.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but I saw the scene. I saw the stand ins. I knew it wasn't I know. I I was gonna send her the photo. Maybe she'll let me do a set visit. Oh, I should hit her up. I'll hit her because if there's I mean, I know they're shooting because I've been begging my team for an audition. Nothing's come through yet, but you know. But it was like the most New York day. So I had a doctor's appointment. Then I went down to Hoff Studios. They produced my special and they acquired the Vogue Adria with Connor's story on the cover for me, So I went and picked that up. Wow. Then I went to a diner read a book. Then I had a dentist appointment. Then I walked to a six o'clo show I had at a private club for whatever. But before that, I went to the Chelsea high Line or the Yeah, the high Line did a show. Then me and another comic we walked to Little Island watched the sunset. Then we walked to Flat Iron he had a spot. Then we met three other comics, and then we walked to the Selka.
Speaker 1: That's when I saw Dexter.
Speaker 2: Then we had ice cream on a bench and I was like, I'm gonna have the best summer of my life, like so wholesome.
Speaker 1: And then and then of course blackouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just feeling And I finished two more gay hockey books. So I'm starting my new book today.
Speaker 1: Everybody's been asking in the comments for you to name these books that you're reading, these all your gay hockey books.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the author is Serena Bowen. Serena Bowen s A R I n A Bowen, like the guy that we know as Yeah, I told you I forgot what bad Bunny was. And I was like Benito, you know Benito, and my brain is so fried.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So and she this bitch is writing NonStop and actually the categories like you can go, there's hockey guys a male male books, and then she has a category that's like for fans of heated rivalry. So the series is like the new Guy, I'm your guy, the last guy on Earth, my kind of guy. Okay, So that those are the four I've just read, and then it seems like there's more. There's more. I might watch Goodbybe. I'm trying to read a few ups. I'm I have some other categories and genres that I'd like to get into. Yeah, and we'll see if we'll see if I can get through this James Baldwin book. But I have some murder books. Oh, I also bought a new book. Yeah, I went to Risolute while I killed time before my dentist.
Speaker 1: And while we are promoting books, I just want to shout out a couple of friends books that are coming out this summer that it's so in the book business, it is like so important to pre order shit first of all for you it feels like when it comes, it feels like it's free, right because you ordered it in May and then it comes in July or August. So the first one is our mutual great friend Alison Labee has a book called I'm a lot. We've already talked about it, I think, but just another shout out that it's coming out in July, pre order it now. And then the second one is The Terrible Horrible, no good, very Bad Gay by Elliott Glazer. He's a soer Wish guy and he has a book coming out in August, so go and you can pre order those on you know, at local like if you just look up his book title, it takes you to the Simon and Schuster page if you can't order it on Amazon, but they also have it at Books a Million and other like local bookshops and stuff where you can get stuff. And definitely want to promote local bookshops. I think I mentioned on the podcast recently that I bought Yesteryear on Amazon, and that is because I needed to read it very quickly, and it's been hard to find it at some of the bookstores. So I want everyone to I do support local bookstores and that Barnes.
Speaker 2: And Noble is a small town bookstore now at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's fine.
Speaker 2: So also, so I'm still on this girl's site, and now you've you shouldn't have brought me here because now I see these two guys holding a basketball ones I'm glad like. And now there's two other hockey. I just can't believe I'm reading so much about hockey. There's only so many storylines, you know, but you know, it's interesting, It's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: This translates to, like you actually going to see professional hockey.
Speaker 2: I would go to the women. It was just all sold out by the time. But yeah, I'm gonna definitely go to hockey. Yeah, and these minorly, Yeah, I'd like to see it live. I think it's fun to watch. It's fast, That's what I like about it. But I bought a Susan Sontag book, and then I bought a book that's like a guy that couldn't solve a crime and it's thirty years later and he's trying to, you know, up my alley. And then maybe, oh, I have one straight book.
Speaker 1: I you know, I blackout drank. I mean I black out read as well.
Speaker 2: So I woke up with a book in my bed and it's like a girl and guy fall in love and they work at a vibrator factory or something like that. Okay, but someone was like trying to be like, oh, like, what could even happen like who care?
Speaker 1: Like somebody whatever I think. I think this person like surriled me up.
Speaker 2: He's a toxic straight But like it's like, what could even happen to these guys?
Speaker 1: Like what's so? I go, Well, they can't come out.
Speaker 2: They're in a masculine place, everyone's homophobic, their families won't speak to I'm like, it's layered as fuck. Two of them get robbed, like this is the thing, Like Serena is great, but they're just not as good as.
Speaker 1: Cat Sebastian and Rachel read you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes there's sentences where I'm like, this is humiliating, Like when people are like can I see that book, I'm like, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: You can't even look at one page of this book. Look, I think we can have of reading that is going to like better us intellectually and reading that it's just fun.
Speaker 2: I think we can hold both things. But they happen at the same time. Because there's a quote in one of these that I is my new mantra, Like my new mantra, that's all I say. Now, it's like awesome, what is it? It's there's nowhere you have to be right now. But right here. Oh, and it's helped me settle because the city is alive. There's so much to do, so much to read, so much to see, and sometimes you're like, oh, what do I do?
Speaker 1: And then it's like, actually, don't have to be anywhere.
Speaker 2: I don't have to do anything, and I could just sit here and have a beer and like whatever.
Speaker 1: So I've just been enjoying that in terms of my vibe.
Speaker 2: And so that's great.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to realize we all have to like slow down and just be where you are sometimes unless you hate where you are, in which case you can always get out of it. Nothing's permanent, you know. That's my favorite quote, Nothing's permanent. I speaking of what like full circle to what we talked about at the beginning of this episode. Somebody just wrote us and said, I'm listening to Bound and the hospital in New Jersey that you're talking about is where I gave birth. So people are giving birth at evil nurse hospitals and you guys have all the boots on the ground info for us. Oh, I went camping with my daughter this this weekend. It was so set to be so much more comfortable than last year. And then my friends lent me an air mattress that had a slow leak, so like, I was in a taco every morning of with Rosie on top of me, which was but she had a blast. It was great. And then Monday night I did live band karaoke and I can't say enough about live band KaraOK.
Speaker 2: I just love it.
Speaker 1: They have less options, but I think the performances are more meaningful.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, one of my parents' stray cats is pregnant. Oh no, your parents are about to be grandparents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite stressful, but you know, they have an old neighbor friend that's helping. But my niece was there for a little bit and built a house for them that's waterproof for the cats.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's better than all of us. That's an incredibly young woman at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so cool.
Speaker 2: I was bragging about her yesterday at the table. Oh my god, wait, is she a junior, honey?
Speaker 1: Like I know, I don't know. Well, I was just gonna say, at some point, you're going to go back to my alma mater for graduation and that shit's fun. Oh my god, you're right, it's really fun. It's like a tense city a big playing field of tents. Everybody gets tense with their friends and then it's just like drinking and fun.
Speaker 2: I learned how to say graduation and Russian scholow.
Speaker 1: I just looked. That was one of my vocab words for the week. Graduation. It's perfect. It's that it's that time of year, and congratulations to everybody graduating or you know, having a graduate go through the education system.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I got into a fight at my coffee shop. I'm sitting and these two guys are talking about AI and I just can't and I just can't. I just I had enough. So I go, you, guys, it's stupid. It doesn't have to happen, like you shouldn't be using it. And I kind of go off, and he goes, you don't get No, we're talking about research. I go, especially for research. I go, it's not accurate. It's not accurate information. It's taking all information. Some of it's not accurate. They're forcing it upon us. You can't opt out, I'm like. And then they're like, I'm like, people are getting fired. They're like, well, that's not real, that's this and that, And then I finally went and this was my fault of course, like I should have been more composed.
Speaker 1: There always gets to be this part in the argument where you're like, and then I said something crazy.
Speaker 2: I went, well that and I go, well, that's because you're losers and nerds. And then the guy went, well, you're really not elegant listening into a conversation and butting in, and I went, honey, I'm not here trying to be elegant, and he goes, yeah, I can tell, and then I went whatever.
Speaker 1: And then we were like sitting and the what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And then they were they were they felt weird, and I could tell I go, you guys, it's fine, you can continue talking.
Speaker 1: Everything is normal. I don't feel weird about this.
Speaker 2: And so then we sat next to each other for another probably ten fifteen minutes as they ate their banana bread.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, the fucking all these graduation speeches. Yeah, wherever the kids are rebelling and booing, these speeches about Ai. I was talking to someone over the weekend who this is my friend and her husband that own she's a fashion designer and he works for her and they are a small business. And he was like going on about how AI is so amazing, and it built this It built this app for him that's customized to their business, that does the work that it takes him a week to do in like a day, and I was like yeah, and like pretty soon you're like your wife can replace you, you know, Like I was kind of trying to like I don't want to like start a fight at like a Scouts camping trip, but I was definitely like doing digs where I was like, yeah, it just kind of sucks, like in my line of work that like people are like not getting copywriting jobs or voiceover jobs or jobs that like used to be sort of like middle class entertainment jobs because computers are gonna do them. And they're like, oh yeah for that. We don't agree with AI. Like everybody like is like I have a reason why I need it, but like, you know, well, I.
Speaker 2: At my doctor's appointment, she goes, hey, so we're using a new thing where AI summarizes everything we talk about and I go no, I go absolutely not, and she goes, Okay, I guess I'll type it in manually, and I go, you will, Yeah, are you out of your fucking mind? I guess they have. Maybe I'm the horn they baby. I posted about my fight at the coffee shop, and obviously the people that follow me were on my side, thank you very much, and the briastes as well. After he left, I go, I'm so sorry, and they're like, he's still they still tipped. It's fine. I go, I'm sorry. I don't mean to like fight at your shop. They're like, well, we hate them and they were losers, and I go great. They yeah, the when I get started on AI, you know, I really can't stop.
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, yeah, no, I know. Oh no, I was gonna say. They did a storyline on the pit that was sort of meant to like they have there's like a new resident head resident comes in and he's like, hey, we're gonna all use this AI software, and everybody's kind of like all right, whatever, and then the computers go down in the whole er for hours in a cyber attack, and they have to go back to literally paper and running things manually. And I think they're definitely making a comment of like, well, it used to be here, which is super crazy like the old way, but the new way is also too reliant on a lot of things.
Speaker 2: So I don't want AI to have my medical shit are you out of your mind? Why are we trusting the most evil people on the planet? Yeah, with everything sensitive? Yeah, we all of our information in the episode. I'm obviously Yeah, we gotta start, We gotta start. This is a This is a fucking banger of an episode. Don't go anywhere as usual, we're doing extra fun stuff on Patreon.
Speaker 1: A lot of you were into our Twilight recap. There's more where that came from. Come uh join us over at patreon dot com. Slash that's messed up. We've got merch uh, promo codes, tourdates for Lisa, all kinds of stuff. Is that that's messed up live dot com. So you can go over there and yeah, enjoy and let's get started.
Speaker 2: Oh hello, Oh we already did that. We're here with the episode. We are doing Venom Today, Season seven, episode eighteen, March twenty eighth, two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: So that's cool. A classic, a scary one we've been waiting before. William Lewis, this was one of my scariest got like Darius was a scary scary man for me one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And you guys, it is like part of two episodes seasons apart, but we're not doing it until we get ludicrous. So if you want to know what happens, like, you can go watch it. But it's called school what is it called scorch screwed, screwed, screwed.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you want to hear the second half, you're going to have to pull help us, help us get Ludacris start. Are scouring your contacts because peoples.
Speaker 2: So someone messaged me that they know Corey Stole or Stole's wife and that they sent her the podcast to listen to. And I go and she got a kick out of it. I'm like, yeah, I mean she knows her husband's hot, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So someone's got to know Ludacrous's wife or something.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, like where's the I've gotten Taco Bell gift cards from someone that's listened. If you're still listening, thank you. Like it's one day, we'll get him. One day. We're mafesting it and he's a virgo. It would be so powerful, it would be too powerful. Maybe maybe that's why he's not doing it. He knows. So we're at venom like a snake. So some wise guys are driving. Why did I write that they're cops, but in the beginning I thought they were wise guys.
Speaker 1: It's night.
Speaker 2: They're talking about their wives, Classic New York, and one of them is very pro sex and is like, get your wife new batteries for her vibrator and she'll stay longer. But it's like, wouldn't she leave? Like I don't get that. I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, she'll stay married if she's happy with you. But in two thousand and six and you're married to a cop, maybe that's there's Culturally they don't they won't get divorced if she's like coming with a vibrator once a week or something. I don't know, But then she wouldn't get the batteries.
Speaker 2: Like this guy is doing the errands of now he's gonna go get the batteries. Yeah, okay, like it's just crazy. Sure, so he says bigger and better than you, and then the other guy's like shut up. And then and then the other guy goes, I'm just tugging your tea bag. So this is obviously a romance novel. Beginning, I did not clock I'm just tugging your tea bag. I just watched the episode and I did not even hear that. Oh everywhere I go. Now I'm like, well, this would be ripe for a romance now every dynamic. But these guys have obviously fucked and it's clear. So but they're seeing it everywhere. Now the cops see something.
Speaker 1: Is he black?
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's a black man in a hoodie, but he is digging in the middle of the night, so it is on savory for sure. But they come out and the guy's like, I'm not doing anything illegal, and they're like, bro, you're digging dirt in the middle of the night, so like, what are you talking about? And then one of them just like throws them against the fence yells, you know, the drill, his hoodie falls. I can't tell if we're supposed to know who it is or I just know because I know. But Benson comes to bail this person out and it is Ken Finn's son.
Speaker 1: So then Benson comes.
Speaker 2: He's bloody in the face, and then Benson is blonde, honey highlight vibes, and he thinks her for coming and says, I didn't know who else to call, and she's like, what about your father, Finn? And he says, calling his dad was not an option. She yells, you are being charged with drunken, disorderly, resisting arrest, and assaulting an officer, and they're claiming that you hit him with a shovel.
Speaker 1: All of this is obviously lies. We saw it.
Speaker 2: He lost his footing. Well we didn't see this, but I'll testify he lost his footing and he fell and the other one arrested him and then started beating him, wailing on him with a flashlight. He says he was not drunk, he only had a couple drinks, but he did have a shovel. So there's that, and she would like to know why, and he gets up. Will you know my dad? A tradition in our family is if you get a new car, he'll buy you a shovel for the car to keep in your trunk.
Speaker 1: For shoveling out snow and stuff.
Speaker 2: You just never know when you'll be still never nowhere, You just never know. So like it's not a full size shovel, but it's like he gets everyone a shovel immediately.
Speaker 1: Wow, worth a new car. I would say, get that shovel. I mean that's hilarious. That's like, yeah, I've never seen It's like that's not a thing I think of when I like open someone's trunk, like, oh, you have a shovel.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of those scrapers, but my dad's whatever. So she needs to know why he had the shovel. He gets up and walks towards the bars of the person or jail holding.
Speaker 1: Cell whatever, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Benson starts to walk out because he's not cooperating, but so he realizes he needs to talk or has one connection to help is walking out the door, and he's like, I was looking for something a body. So Benson looks stunned and we go into the credits. I don't like these highlights on her. I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is probably one of my least favorite looks.
Speaker 2: And this is funny. She's pregnant.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's pregnant in season seven.
Speaker 2: I'm almost positive. I have no idea, But okay, you don't like the honey, I don't, which is rude.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever said a rude thing about her hair. I think it's the bloe she's ever been. It's quite blonde, and I do like her with a little bit more of a darker I like her care.
Speaker 2: I like when they're like Bolliage, when she has like soft curls and she has some highlights on the bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I like her with a darker root. M that's fair and I think that's more modern. I'm wondering if two thousand and six was like happening. Oh yeah, Kelly Clarkson red and white.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: My hairstylist was just telling me the other day that it's back that she goes. People are just asking for these hair chunks, and I keep going, oh, Kelly Clarkson, and they don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm like, that's people forget their history.
Speaker 2: Well, I told you that someone called Jennifer Aniston that girl with the cheating thing with Brad Pitt.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: So strange to not know Kelly Clarkson's chunky highlight. Like these people have no reverence. It's like, I don't know share lived before I was born.
Speaker 1: I know a few looks like I don't understand. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't do disco. I get what disco is, Like, what has happened? I know who Donna Summer is. Yeah, I'm getting back to the episode Finn. Yeah, he's busting through. He's pissed. He's in the precinct. Munch is running after him, trying to calm him down. I love their dynamic. Craigan comes out and Finn starts in with him too. Why is my son in there? And nobody calls me? And then he has to be like, babe, he didn't want us to, so that's something to explore, and it's explosive. He yells for everyone to stay out of him and his son's business, and Craigan says, it is my business. I've never seen Finn so mad. Craigan is like, I need to know who that body is. Where is this body who put the body there? So then Finn relaxes a little and goes, well, can I at least listen in? And Munch is like, he has bruises, but he's fine, and the resting officers are getting looked at too, so don't make trouble. Craigan ads, Benson and Stabler are in there, and Ken starts talking. He was with his cousin Darius at a dive bar around nine o'clock when he overheard a guy talking about how he killed a woman a couple years ago and got away with it. And he said he raped her with a knife and buried the body in a vacant lot. Crazy secret to give up at a bar, you know what I mean? That's like, ohy.
Speaker 1: Over here to be talking about it so loudly that people can hear you in a loud dive bar. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The raping of the knife really takes it to like, let's not openly chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so strange.
Speaker 2: So anyways, so then the bar is called the Deuce one hundred and twenty ninth and Lennox he didn't know the guy. Stabler asks why would you go body hunting in the middle of the night from some bar chat and he says the way he talked it sounded real to me and I had to know. But Benson goes, why wouldn't you call the cops? And he's like, well, they wouldn't have believed me, Like you're not believing me right now, but he describes He's like, this dude was black, mid twenties, under six feet, medium billed, puffy jacket. And they're like, okay, but did you get a name or ask anyone at the bar about him? And they're like, did you even find the body? Like, I like, what is up, bro? And Ken's like, listen, I'm trying to help him do the right thing. Knock on the window. Stabler goes out. Finn screams, you are treating my son like any bozo off the street. Why don't you believe him? And Stabler's like, well, it's his body language, and Kragan's asks if Stabler thinks Ken is trying to protect somebody or himself. Stabler says, Stabler is such a piece of shit, like I don't know. Everyone was so behind him with Kathleen and stuff, like being like, yeah, maybe it's your son. He did it. He raped a woman with his knife. You don't even know him, Like, what the fuck right?
Speaker 1: And this is our third episode with Ken, like we have met Ken before, they all know him.
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Do you remember the episode? Who did I See on the flight? I texted you guys, John Macgaro, Yes, that was fun. I don't I bet no one's ever gasped in his face from seeing it before now to diminish his work. But I gasped, But I left him alone.
Speaker 1: I left him alone. Very kind of you.
Speaker 2: But they were in that episode together. Ken's been protecting gay kids. Right, isn't that that one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I think so he's been in two so yeah, well.
Speaker 2: He's in in an not in constitution institutional fail, institutional fail, which I don't know. If I was trying to get into acting school, I would do that monologue. I would try to do that monologue and then they would go, oh, we actually don't do TV monologues here, but that is let me finish. Okay, so body language, Stabler goes, I think your son raped a woman with a knife, and he says the story's too soft, and then he was like maybe he was moving the bodies around. Finish steaming, and it's all YadA YadA, like let's dig up the body. So then Craigan goes, we can't just go digging. We need to know whose body it is, and like who we're looking for. Finn finally asked, so you not only think my son is a liar, you think he's a murderer or two, And Sailor says, I don't know, but you are the first to admit you don't really know him, and Finn hits low and says, oh, like you know your kids, right, And now I don't think it's low because I don't think the first time I was watching and typing, I was as mad at what was Stabler was accusing because it is clear Ken is lying, but like, yes, of course it's to protection.
Speaker 1: Like there's no get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ken is like a sensitive god, like there's just no fucking like fuck off.
Speaker 1: I would also like love the statistics on the number of like violent rapes of women committed by gay men, like at this, we know he's a gay man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's so annoying. I don't know if I get the motive here. No, and now I don't think Finn is hits low. He hits honestly too kind and goes, oh, like you know your kids right, Tell me, is your daughter still driving drunk or did she move up to something stronger?
Speaker 1: Soon enough you might be swinging off a pole.
Speaker 2: Then Stabler lunges to attack him, and then Craigan holds him back and strains like to scream like Elliott, walk it off now, and then Craigan says, that's enough, focus on your son and take him home. Talk to Darius and see if he has the same story and you know, heard the same stuff. So Finn walks to get his son, and so him and Benson have been chilling there. Munch asks Craigan if he thinks Ken did it, and Craigan goes, no, but he is lying. I want to know why. So that's our captain. Hell yeah. And then Ken goes to his mom, Lisa Gay Hamilton, and her name is Teresa in this aka Terry and you might know her from one hundred and forty five episodes of the Practice or from Sex and the City. Her name is Kendall. She's Miranda's neighbor who gives her the vibrating chair. But I forgot the daughter's name. It's like Malika, I think though. And then that's my daughter, Manka.
Speaker 1: And you would note that if you, if you ever bother to stop and talk to us. Yeah, and this is her first appearance in this show. We've not seen Finn's wife yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's wife.
Speaker 1: Sorry x wife?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, so she so she goes, so, this is Teresa Randall and she is worried about his bruises and bandaged face, and she asks what do we do now?
Speaker 1: And Ken's like, why the fuck are you asking him?
Speaker 2: And Ken wants to handle it himself and and Finn goes, yep, like you have it all covered. Looks looks good to me, and he goes, you know what, I'm going to bed. So then the exes are together in the kitchen and Finn asks about Darius and she's like, fuck him. He is poisoned and always will be and you weren't around much so you don't know shit. And he goes, come on, you know, I was undercover and i'd be gone a lot and she says, no, not a lot, you were just gone. So they go back and forth a bit, but she goes and opens the door and says sperm donors don't get parental rights, and he says cool and starts exiting and is like, just tell me where Darius is, and she says, autobody on Frederick Douglas and there he is, Terry's nephew, Finn says, and it's been a long time. So then we see it's Ludacris. Okay, it's Ludacris, guys, so it's a thrill, okay. So he goes, it's been a long time, Finn, and then Finn corrects him. Detective then introduces him to Munch. So he's working on a sculpture. He's really artistic. They're setting this up, and you know, neither of them are interested in small talks. So Finn gets down to business and is like, did you see Ken last night? And he confirms they had a few drinks at the Deuce left around midnight. He assumed that Ken went home just like he went home. Finn goes, well, you know, Ken seems upset, and Ludacris is like, you know him, He's always twisting over something. His grades is beef with you being gay, and just the way he is much ass if anybody ever talked about a murder, and he's like, really taken him back, like what, no way, why? And he took his fire burning helmet thing off and now he's in a do rag and they go, well, your cousin said he did, and he was digging for a body when the cops pinched him. And he goes, that's crazy. He wouldn't let him do that if, like he knew what was up. And then he goes, but the bar is shady as fuck, like, I'm not surprised if there was a killer or two there, and he says, I've changed no matter what Terry says, and he's not in the game anymore, and he calls Riker's a gated community, which I found funny, and then then he goes, if I don't care about me, nobody will. And then Finn's like, okay, well, will you please talk to Ken because he's not talking to me. So now Benson and Stable are gossiping in the office and they're like, oh, he has a record, but it's sealed, blah blah blah. Can lie to us, and she says, kids lie and so do yours. But they're also looking for Yes, you would know that, but you're never home. And they're looking at potential murder victims. And they said there's one woman, but they don't say her name, and then they say the other woman's name and we're gonna assume it's her. So it's Nina Stanfield and her her and her baby disappeared and in her apartment were seven pints of blood and a four inch knife that was engraved was left at the house and everyone thinks the ex husband did it, so they go to the ex husband's place.
Speaker 1: He's like, I didn't kill my wife.
Speaker 2: Nobody believes me, and Munch is like, well, then, who did you know you did abuse her, like, and then he goes, yeah, but everyone abuses women like relax, I wouldn't take it further than that. Yeah, just hitting her a couple times. But he said I didn't hate her or my son, and I would never hurt them. I mean, I'm against domestic violence obviously, very strong, but I feel like, even if you did punch your wife once, it's different than raping someone with a knife.
Speaker 1: Like it is just such a famous prime.
Speaker 2: But I guess you have to assume it's the domestic abuser because they asked they can't escalate. Yeah, I hope no one clips that. And it's like she defended, defended the guy, but whatever. Finn's like, well, who else could have done it? And he's like, oh god, so much blood? No body, where's my son? And he looks like a shell of a man. And police will not tell me a thing, but they talk to my in laws, my boss, my friends. They labeled me a killer. So then they're like, well does the wife have like what other people could she have had problems with? And he goes, yeah, you know, she had boyfriends, there were babysitters, she loved going out, she loved happy hour, dinners with the friends, reliving her single glory days, and then Finn's like, was she cheating?
Speaker 1: And he says that's the reason.
Speaker 2: The cops say I killed her, but I was always at work always. They ask about the Douce bar and he says he's not welcome in that neighborhood. So he drinks at home now and he sits with a bottle of brown liquor and he tells him to leave, and he's about to drink whiskey from or scotch or something out of a and it's like one of the big kind of tubs of bottles.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's like a handle. He's about to Yah, forgot that week time.
Speaker 2: I truly forgot Bad Bunny his name this week and was like trying to talk about bad Bunny and I had to be like, you know, Benito, And that's how I felt right now, like I could not think of the fucking word dude, that's.
Speaker 1: My whole life. I'm like describing things like I'm second, like I'm e s l like I'm truly like all the time, like what's the thing where you like you put your comforter inside of oh a duvet?
Speaker 2: Yes, Like well, that's actually good for me to hear, because I obviously am like, Oh, it's weed's fault.
Speaker 1: But you don't smoke weed? Really?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Wow, I drink and I have two kids, so maybe that's the equivalent.
Speaker 2: That's the equivalent. But do you think but I drink and smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think all of our minds are going are.
Speaker 2: Going to be most eventually.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're probably speeding it up. We're speeding it up. But I am reading, and I keep i'm reading. I'm probably going to sharpen things. That's only going to sharpen things. Yeah, I already feel my vocabulary growing. JK, what where did I forget that existed? A handle?
Speaker 1: Handle? But he says I'd like to get started.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna drink his life away and he's in mourning Munchhin Finn are in Kragan's office being like that man is so so sad. I don't think it's him, and Craigan goes, yeah, we think it's Ken. So Finn is like, what the fuck? I know I'm a bad dad, but I don't think my son raped a woman with a knife. And then okay, I have we talked about this on the pot already do you say, Like when I talk about necrophilia rape, I just say necrophilia someone like and then he necrophilia.
Speaker 1: Them, Like, do I have to say rape? Is it like rape?
Speaker 4: Neg?
Speaker 1: Like what? I think it's implied that it's there's nothing a print being given?
Speaker 2: Sure, but what is the word because the tense I'm using, Like, I know I'm not being grammatically correct, it's what That's the best I can do.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I don't even know if you need to Yeah, I don't know if you need to include I would I would personally not include the rape. I would just say, but committed necrophilia on a.
Speaker 2: Person committed necrophilia, I guess because I'm trying. I'm working on a Green River killer bit, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's funnier to say necrophilia on someone if you want, like just from a funny standpoint, that's funnier. Okay, But what do I use on our professional pop in a committed necrophilia or committed acts of committed ophelias? Like what they would say about like Bundy and people that would go back and revisit their victims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thought of a really good slur morg fucker. Oh yeh like you. We would never hire you because you look like a morgue fucker. I can't wait to start calling people morg fuckers. Do you think people will get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: I think that that. I like, to me, it's like a funeral home would not hire you because you.
Speaker 1: Look like much fun with the dead bodies.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't think it comes It's not. It's not clear enough. If I if I like saw someone at a bar being like, no, you're.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking about it. I'm just thinking about it. I think I think it would definitely take people back. It's not it's it's not an a lexicon. You're and you're you know, you're innovative. No, I'm inventing it here.
Speaker 6: I think what came to my mind first was someone who like hangs out around a morgue to pick up like people's whose husbands died. Oh, like an ambulance chase. Yeah, yeah, that's sort of what I was saying. So that was the first image that came to mind for me.
Speaker 1: Casey, I'm glad we could catch up this with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're thinking, but that's not even a thing. Do you think people sit around the morgue trying to fuck the widowed, the recently bereaved.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think that, but that was the the connotation that was where my mind went.
Speaker 2: But that would work too, Like you're so desperate a woman or a man needs to be like crying, like just dropped off the dead.
Speaker 1: Well, like I think also sometimes it's like remember that episode we just did it all with all the silky robes. Like I think that there's probably guys like that that hang out and like talk to the grieving widow who has a lot of money, Hey, can I be your shoulder to cry on? That's more like a funeral fucker. I would say, yeah, a more fucker or a more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know what you're saying. You seem like the kind of person that would commit necrophilia. Well, I will come up with something perfect. We also need to make some Tommy Merch.
Speaker 2: Okay, Craigan is like, listen, your son has an assault charge at sixteen years old, had one again, Grammar a nightmare. Craigan's like, you know, he had an assault charge at sixteen that was recanted, and Finn goes, yeah, exactly recanted, but also he didn't know about it, and so then maybe the girl lied. And then Craigan reminds him, like, stay off this case, please, and Munch defends his friend and goes, why would he do that? Like what is the connection? And Craigan goes, oh, funny, you asked. Well, Harry and Ken lived across the street from that apartment. And then everyone looks at Finn and is like, oh, so lying runs in your fucking family. Munch is so disappointed. Why would you do that? And he's like, I'm trying to protect my son. Munch asked, like, do you think Ken did it? Finn responds no, but if you can make an easy case, it won't matter if he did it or not.
Speaker 1: And Cragan's like, fuck you.
Speaker 2: You know I don't cut corners here and I don't just go for easy clothes. Finn says, that's your opinion, and then Craigan responds and for your son's sake, you're lucky. My opinion is the only one that matters. Stare down and now for a dig. They found three bodies and body parts. There's people everywhere, all different races, like, so it's a really popular grave site, but they're all men. Melinda has not found a woman or child yet. And then Melinda calls it an impromptu graveyard and she looks really cute in her beanie.
Speaker 1: Wait, so now how did they get to this impromptu graveyard?
Speaker 2: Okay, so basically, like Ken heard, Like part of the thing Ken heard was that the body was buried in like this kind of an empty lot across from a bar. So he just went to a random lot across from a bar, hoping he would find it. But I think this was just another popular burialh and so they're just finding a ton of other bodies.
Speaker 1: They're just difference so many bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it makes me think the killers are getting together and chit chatting like in Dexter Resurrection, because it's like you all picked the slot. It also is in New York City, and like, I think a lot of places are quiet at night, but I really don't think you would get away with bearing and a lot in the bar.
Speaker 1: Like there's one thing to say, Oh, a lot of bodies are in the Hudson River, or there's a lot of bodies in the East River, Like that's one thing, But to have like a lot that's just like yep. This is where a lot of bodies are buried. It seems crazy in a like who's strap buying it?
Speaker 2: How did they get into the fenced area, like and no one noticed?
Speaker 1: Like how they get the body? Like you have to carry the body? Yeah, like wrapped it. So I always assume when you're moving a body in the city, it's wrapped in a car. You're always like moving moving to a new apartment, have a carpet, just got this off Craigslist. Nothing inside of it, you know, or it's or it's like or it's the trunk of the car. And I don't know, you got everyone's got a car to get rid of it. I didn't have a car.
Speaker 2: In New York. Everyone's driving now, Yeah, they get shovels bearing at the lots.
Speaker 1: It's too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now Melinda nova Okay, so Melinda Novak, there's knocks on Craigan's door. She confirmed that the assault charge against Ken was bogus. Again, we know Ken, like anyone can be a rapist, but like we do know Ken. So Munch arrives with Ken and Terry, and Terry goes, where can I wait? So then she goes to sit somewhere and then Novak and Craigan go to grab Ken, but then Finn walks in with a tough, fast lawyer. She's tough, and then Finn looks cold as hell and Teresa wants to talk and Finn says talk or yell, and she says that's up to you. And now we're in cement room bars and Munch is there with the lawyer in Novak and he does an want to change his story at all, and Munch goes, well, okay, but what about the baby? And Ken is confused and was like, what baby? And I do believe him? And then they bring up Nina Stanfield's name. Do you know the victim or not? The lawyer goes nope, and Novak goes chill out and lawyer goes, no, you do your job and prove if he knows her or not. It's not my client's job to do your job for you. Ken is stressing it's killing him on the inside. Munch then goes, listen, she was raped by a knife, just like Ken said, and Novak adds this young man had knowledge of the crime and he lived right across the street. Lawyer goes, anything else because we're gonna leave Novak's like, just give us the DNA and then you can get on with your life.
Speaker 1: And lawyer goes lol lol lol.
Speaker 2: So then tre Senfinn are walking up the stairs to the loft lounge trademark that that's what we're calling.
Speaker 1: From now on. Doesn't that sound good?
Speaker 2: The loft lounge.
Speaker 1: The loft Lounge's good, theft lounge.
Speaker 2: She says, you are write that down, Casey, She said, for.
Speaker 1: For trademark, not a pension. What is the patent pending? She says, call her patent lawyer, Casey, call her patent lawyer.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jesus. She says, you are not doing him any favors getting that lawyer. And he says he is the only suspect in a double homicide. I'm protecting him. And then from what, like he's innocent? Like from what, Finn goes, are you fucking slow? Prison is filled with innocent people, and we know what color most of them are. So they go back and forth. She wants me to be his father, not his friend, and we all know he knows like more to what's going on. We need him to get involved, so come on, like, let's help him tell the truth and figure this out. Finn is looking for something in a hurry, and Benson asked what he's looking for. He responds the Stanfield crime scene photos and sketches, and Benson just opens a drawer and hands it to him really easy, peasy, and says, all you had to do is ask, And he says all you could have done is picked up the damn phone. And she's annoyed but knows he's going through stuff, so she's being chill and she's like, so one thing you want to get off your chest and he says, you cross the line. He should have been the next call after my after the sun, and that can't happen again. She goes, come on, like, let's go talk in private, and she's like, your son asked me for help.
Speaker 1: What should I have done?
Speaker 2: He goes not making decisions for my family and running interference between me and my son, and she says it wasn't her intention, and he knows that she was just trying to help, so this is really sweet. He also knows they have a lot to work through as father and son, and she understands and says sorry, So what's the next move? He says, there's nothing I need to do. Benson says, listen, Melinda has the info back and none of it matches the victim. Like what do you think all of this means? He says, I don't know. It tells me Ken didn't do it. She says, no, it means we can't prove it. We can't get his DNA, Like do you want this cloud hanging over him forever? Let's get the blood, Like don't you want to know? Finn is not okay with that, but Benson says it's the only way. And you know it, like you're a dad, but you're also cop, and there's no way to separate the two, and you know we need to be clear with him. So Ken is walking and you just hear him going. My lawyer says, no, munchin Finn are following him. It's the snowy streets of New York and they're asking him now to do the opposite of everything that has been going down. And they're like, listen, dude, a woman and child is dead, a husband's destroyed, and I know that means something to you, So like, decide what kind of man you want to be. So then Melinda, see he's a good guy, Like you know, Ken is actually a good guy. So then Melinda got the lab results and of course it's not a match. I wrote, like the fact that I've seen this episode fifteen times, it's not a match. Okay, so that's not it. So I wrote that all caps. It's wilder. So we're all in the center precinct and so like Finn and Craigan both ask questions at the same time, and she answers like, is it isn't it?
Speaker 1: She says, both, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Same mitochondria, mie cadrial DNA, same mitochondrial DNA. They're related. Oh so Darius Ken's cousin. They're close, like you know, that's why he probably protected him and didn't want to tell us. And Melinda goes, no, babe, can't be a cousin brother. He says, that's not possible. My ex wife didn't have other kids. She says, DNA doesn't lie, and we know that same codes, same sequence, like killer and your son have the same mother. He's stun stun stun. She's in office room blinds. Fuck, she says, nobody knows, and nobody was supposed to know that he is my son, not even Ken. Finn says, I know, I understand but it's DNA, and she says, it happened before I met you, and he had to go somewhere and he certainly couldn't stay with me. She was sixteen. The father was a bastard and you don't know what he did to me. And Darius looks just like him now, acting like him, and he's like, well, why why not adoption, you know? And why give the baby to your mother? Are you fucking kidding? I didn't give her anything she took. You knew her. She wouldn't allow blood out of the family. That's crazy. That's like a crazy That's like a good line. Whoever wrote this episode, that's like a really good line. I like, informed so much about the character with such little information. He asks about the dad and she says, I don't know, but I hope he's dead. And he asked what happened to you? And she's traumatized as fuck, refuses to say anything, and he's acting like he has not been an SVU detective now for seven years, Like he's like, come on, you're the fucking problem.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: And she is crying and shaking, crying and shaking, she screams, you don't know what it's like to be forced to look at a face you hate. Every time he came over to play with Ken. It was agony family functions. It made me sick. I can't stand to look at him even now. And then she goes, does Darius know you're his mother? She says, I don't see how unless my you know, my mom's been dead for years, and I wouldn't tell him. He walks out, and Beady Wong's there, and I don't know if he's saying it to talk to Finn or he's caught talking shit about Finn because he goes interesting family dinah as Finn walks by, like out of the door. So that that was the moment I watched a couple of times. And then Finn says a classic line, damn freak show. We belong in one of your textbooks with the rest of the fruit loops. And you know, I love what they call the mentally ill fruit loops. And I don't care if it's like wrong. I like it. You're a fruit loop, oh, because it's is it also geysto like a gay slur too?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, Yeah, I mean fruity is, but I think a fruit loop is just like cuckoo for cocoa puffs, like, you know, like I don't know, it's like your fruit loop me, Yeah, you're atlutely. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think it has a gay connotation, but.
Speaker 2: No it is.
Speaker 1: So it also sounds like he's kind of like, yeah, my family's messed up like everybody.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rest its fruit loops.
Speaker 2: Craigan says, go pick up Darius, but Novacco's no, we need a little more evidence, and they're like, well he said it at the bar, you know. And then Beatie Wongs also like work the baby angle. There's a reason that baby wasn't brought up. You know. He's like, I think it's self loathing. He's a reject, a pariah, and it's like whoa, whoa, whoa. But maybe maybe he thinks he's like saving the baby from this terrible like pain of living. Also, they have to like real like figure out if Darius nos or not, because what if Grandma gave a deathbed confession? You know, you never know what happens on those deathbeds, and so is that merch You don't know what happens on those deathbeds? You never know what happens on a deathbed. If this was last culture, he says, it would be a rule of culture, it would be Yeah, but it's not. It's not guys Anyways, Then they go, were baby items missing from the apartment?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: What fuck?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What's missing? How did he know her? Why bury her? Like? What's going on?
Speaker 2: And if he did find out the truth, maybe like something small could have set him off, you know, rage, surrogate crime. So they go back to the husband. He's at work and they're like, do you recognize any of these suspects.
Speaker 1: He does not. He's willing to lie say, that's not how it works.
Speaker 2: Munch asks if any of his son's stuff was taken from him, and he goes, actually, yes, a rattle. It was passed down by my wife's family. It was wooden, this like heirloom, and the family wanted it back and I couldn't find it. So now we got to go find this fucking rattle. So they're at Darius's apartment. They're searching Judith Ciper sniper why do I forget her name? Cyper? Yeah? Yeah, and a CSU tech you know, I think Melinda's at the morgue and Judith's on the scene today and Finn wants her to work faster, and she says she can always use a second set of hands, bitch. And then Munch finds the wooden rattle. It's hidden in a sculpture, but it's been three years, so it might be hard to get DNA, and Finn doesn't think the rattle is solid enough evidence. Finn goes to harass his son, though like he won't he won't pass up a chance to do that, so he won't turn on his brother, like Ken is like, I'm not going to turn on my brother. But it's like he did rape someone with a knife, Like I don't know how many more times I can repeat that, So so he won't turn on his brother. He also hates Terry now for throwing her son away, but like, and he doesn't trust Finn, and Darius is the only person who's ever been there for him, even when he came out as gay, and Finn sucks, and Finn's like, well, you murdered a woman, so like it's nice that he was nice too when he came out, but like, hmm, I think I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's worse.
Speaker 2: Homophobia or double homicide, so not to compare traumas, but but yeah, Finn and Kenn are back at Darius's place and there's a photo of the blood and he's like, what do you want from me?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: And they're like, how long have you known that Terry's your mom? And he goes, too long. Grandma told me, he says, when she was hopped up on morphine and begging for forgiveness. But he doesn't like that she told him and wished that she had kept it a secret. Why did the grandma do it? She's a bad person.
Speaker 1: And it's like the end of well, she was also probably like I know that you're birth mother has like not been kind to you and like you've been kind of cast out, and she was probably like guilty and fucked up at the end of her life and was like she's your real mother, like make amends, like probably thinking she was helping you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he kind of breaks and is like, fuck you, Ken, why you what's so special about you and not me? And he's really sad in his eyes. Luda's crushing and then Ken says, there's nothing special.
Speaker 1: Butt did we talk to Neil Baerr about this?
Speaker 2: Like how did they even come up with the ludas like to get ludacris you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he really wanted to act, you know, like for sure, yeah so, but I I don't know. I don't know if we talked to Neil about Luda. Yeah, we gotta go back and relisten.
Speaker 2: It's been a mile, so he kind so, and then Ken goes, there's nothing special about me, you know, and Luda says, no, I know, it's not your fault either, And then Finn says he thinks you did it on accident, and Luda goes, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 1: I knew you couldn't keep your mouth shut.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know why he told him, Like Ken is such a dogurder, you know what I mean, Like he wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Able to live with this, Like maybe he was more drunk.
Speaker 2: But anyways, he says, I didn't tell anyone, and Darius is like, listen, don't sweat, it's probably why I told you. Anyways, I got sober, I changed. I couldn't live with the guilt for one more day. Finn's like, okay, come clean, I'll help you. So they go downtown to get a confession from a non family member. We have Munch and Kragan in there, and they're like, let's do it. He knew Nina threw a babysitter she hired, and they want more information. He says, no, I'm not going to lead you to this person all, but I will lead you to the bodies. I'm guilty of murder here, so I'm not going to make any excuses. I stabbed her with a knife and I killed her baby, and the baby was fourteen months old. Took the bodies from the apartment. I went to this in the car. You're right, car too, a vacant lot. Dug a hole and buried them and they've been there for three years. And like that's when he found out the secret. So this probably was like within a very close time frame. They asked for him to write down the confession. He starts writing, and I wrote, I love Ludas so much. Now he is in a puffer jacket, Finn is in a leather Munch is in a pea coat, and they're digging. Everyone's digging. Melinda finds something three feet down. Finn says he did the right thing, and he goes, yep, I'm going to spend the rest of my life in prison, and Munch goes, listen, you confess to your own volition. You led us to the bodies, Like, maybe the ADA will take that into consideration. He's depressed and over it and doesn't care and he just doesn't want to can involved. And it's done. So there's evidence an adult female age thirty, multiple cutting and stabbing wounds, advanced d CAM, lots of defensive cuts, strike marks two with murder weapon. Baby was suffocated, soil and lungs bury the baby alive. I forgot that detail. The baby was alive, Yeah, soil and the lungs. I forgot about that. Yeah. Him and Derek Musa really want to torture up a baby. And John Ritter, oh yeah, may he rests okay, so lots of defense. Yeah, we okay, whatever. The baby's buried alive, so I won't say it again. So then Nahshi Horowitz comes in and we love when he's on our screen and he's representing Darius and Nova goes no deal. He says he's not asking for one, and she's rude and is like, what do you want and he says, pleasant conversation wouldn't hurt. As he sits down slowly, Novak does a seething monologue, stands over him, like fuck him, and as she so then has she tells Novak amazing monologue, so sad nobody will ever hear it. And he is like so smug, and he hands her emotion to suppress and emotion to dismiss, and it's Judge Louis Preston and it's let's go. So then they get two minutes with her. She's like two minutes, she's so busy. And he says that his client's fifth and sixth Amendment rights were violated, that the police interrogated him without council. They argue what's up, and bring up like old cases and what happened, and then he says, there's an open burglary charge and court date that he mentioned and you all knew, so you knew he had counsel. All they had to do was call him and wait. But they ignored it. And she agrees with him, and confession is out and any fruit's born from it. So Novaka is mad and runs into the Center precinct. They're all fucked. Everyone's flabberg acid. The bodies can't be included Finn is like, fuck, Darius knew exactly what he was doing. This was all a setup. He did it. He's so fucking smart. So they need to run and try to find more evidence. So everyone's dispersing, everyone's at work and like nothing he said can be used or what they got from it.
Speaker 1: And well, here's what I don't understand, Like they found his DNA at the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but only because he confessed and brought it.
Speaker 1: Not at first, like at first it was because Ken was accused, and then they found out that they share mitochondrial DNA the person that was at the scene with Ken, So can't they say, like we found a DNA connect.
Speaker 2: Through absolutely, but they can't prove like they don't have his DNA, right yeah, true, they need to get his DNA to confirm, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it would be a brother of or another child that Terry had at some point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Finn goes to Ken, like maybe Ken's gonna just give him the info they need to help the case. So it's like Ken, come on, he is a killer, and they're like, does he have any girlfriends? Like any of this any of these babysitters on Nina's babysitter list or any of them connected to Darius, and he recognizes the name Angela Bodden and she is crazy about him, bought him gifts and money, but he wasn't that into her, but liked how she treated him, like unsafe. She's a male person. Now, I'm proud of her, great job, she says. The dead baby was a good baby. Unfortunately, so she hated the mom for like stepping out on her old man, but was mad at her all the time about how much food she ate and like, oh, you spend so too much time on the phone and stuff like that, and so she's like, I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but she was fucking annoying, and she goes, she did hate my boyfriend, but she had a point to hate Darius because he had a temper and he got me fired. And so basically what happened was she would complain to Ludacris's Darius's character. I just want to call him Luda every single time. It's so hard for me. So she was like, God, my boss is a stupid bitch. So then when he saw the mom on the street, he's like, you're a bad mother. So she's like, don't bring him around and then she's like, but that's my boyfriend, and it's like, you actually are not entitled to bring your boyfriend to your job, and he should have somewhere else to go. Also, it's like humiliating or buying him stuff. He doesn't even like you. You're jeopardized. I mean you're a male person now, So like that's awesome, but like so strange. She found his knife in the couch cushions and fired her on this spot. So he went back to get the knife and she says like, but it was too late. So then this dummy she goes, you know, it's kind of ironic, like if she didn't take his knife, her husband would have used it to kill her. Oh my god, Like, in what world.
Speaker 1: Is that what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so but they still don't have enough, and munch Infinner trying with Novak and she's like, why didn't the cops do their job back in the day, And you know, classic tunnel vision, they thought the husband didn't, So what do they do now? So we're back in cement room bars and Novak's trying to intimidate Heshi and Luda do not give a fuck, and he tells her Hubris isn't attractive, especially for a woman her age.
Speaker 1: Lol obsessed, which is hilarious because I think I look this up, like I feel like Diane Neil is twenty nine in this episode. I mean she's probably supposed to be like thirty five, but it's like, wow, what a read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean all those movies to early two thousands, Like I think, like The Wedding Planner, all those people are in their twenties, like they're twenty seven, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean remember Bird Cage when she's like nineteen and it's like, why won't my parents let me get married? I think she's twenty two in Father of the Bride. Well, yeah, because in.
Speaker 2: Nineteen as well, my best friend's wedding, Cameron Diaz is nineteen oh right, that one's crazy, yeah, or like twenty like something great. Yeah, I'm still in college. So he also then fruit, you know, everyone loves fruit of the Poisonous Tree. And then maybe that's the tattoo I guess.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, is that merch fruit of the Poisonous tes? Oh my god, I saw the funniest meme. It is totally me.
Speaker 2: Hold on, let me fucking I've never been I've actually been read a couple times with the memes. Really come after me, Okay, this is the meme tattoos. Yes, absolutely, it'll lasts forever sticker, what if I regret this placement? So true? That's good.
Speaker 1: They got you good. It's so fucking true.
Speaker 2: Got your ass fruit of the poisonous tree. So Casey said, I mean Casey, like I wrote this, Casey, you have nothing like he You know they're cocky. She has nothing. You can't bring charge with the kids, so shut up. She says, you're gonna get the maximum and how she says, I smell a horse trade. She says, if you cooperate now, I can make it thirty years total for all the crimes. As she goes, you cannot prove intent. And I didn't even know that was part of this conversation, was intent, you know what I mean? Like?
Speaker 1: And did we get evidence all of a sudden?
Speaker 2: Are you right that like they can do the DNA now like they like everything's out, the rattles out, Like I don't get what's happening. So has she's like twenty five with the possibility of parole and we can chat and Luda goes, no, we don't, and Nova goes, well, that's the final offer. Has She says we need time to chat, and Darius goes, no, there is no chat.
Speaker 1: I'm not making a deal.
Speaker 2: I want my dan core and Finn says take the offer, and Darius says, go to hell, kiss my ass, and while you're down there, spread them because you're about to get done.
Speaker 1: But he says fucked. His mouth says fucked, and his voiceover says done. I rewatched it three times. You're about to get fucked, Like I wonder if he like ad libbed that, and they were like, that's good. We just have to make it network appropriate. Like his mouth is saying fucked, like yeah, whoa, I gotta I didn't catch that. Wow, I was focused on the spreading. And he says, oh, it's about the family, and Darius goes, yep, every single last one of you is gonna have to be in that courtroom like family reunion. You're gonna have to testify your lives out in the open for everybody to judge, like you've all done to me since day one. They're gonna know what kind of cop you are and what kind of husband and father you weren't. They're gonna know about my brother's sexual habits, and it's like he's just gay, but collusion, and everyone's gonna wonder why he's not being charged either, and maybe his cop father helped cover up. Makes for a nice headline and a no good mother is dead, the baby is missing, even though the baby is fucking better off, and he goes, sure, I'm gonna go to prison, but not for as long as you think. And once to sir, Randal takes the stand and has to tell the truth, and his lips quiver. That festering bitch is gonna have to claim me for the first time in her miserable life. And let's see her shake me after that, And Finn looks at him, and he keeps going, you want to bury me, go ahead, because I'm taking you all down with me. When I do, and Finn keeps looking. It's a flute noise. Finn walks out, Munch has some cuffed. Terry arrives, Ludas scowls at her. She says, Darius, like finally her heart softens for a second, like she has hated him forever, and he keeps scowling as they drag him away, and then it's a close up on Finn and he has a lot of emotions on his face and it's dick wolf baby. I mean, why does he say the baby's missing and better off you buried the baby alive. We found him, Like.
Speaker 2: Maybe they didn't find the baby and they just found the blanket and the mom. No, because on the lungs. Soil was in the lungs.
Speaker 5: Ugh.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna love the real case because it's pretty close. So this one is based pretty on the nose with the Actually it's the Raymond it's the Raymond Levi Cobb case, and Novak actually references it when she's talking to Lois Preston about Cobb versus Texas. So let me get into this. So on December twenty seventh, a couple of days after Christmas nineteen ninety three, the home of Lindsay and Margaret Owings in rural Huntsville, Texas is burglarized. Lindsay is a man. Just for any confusion, Lindsay calls the Walk You knew it would be confused, Yeah, like wait who Okay? So Lindsay calls the Walker County Sheriff's Office and reports a burglary that a stereo and a VCR are missing, but also kind of important, my wife and my sixteen year old daughter, Corey Ray are also They called around to her friends. No one had heard from her all day. Authorities are searching for her, but they come up with nothing. Obviously, they suspect the husband. He took several polygraphs and he passed them all and the authorities kind of started to come around on him not being the guy, but the community did not let up, like they all thought he was behind it. So it's like, you know, small town, everyone's like, you killed your wife. Whatever. So the case went cold for a couple of years. Like in February of ninety four, they got a tip that the across the street neighbor, seventeen year old Raymond Levit Cobb, might be involved in the burglary. They had initially questioned Cobb, but he had denied any involvement, and then this tip led to the recovery of the stolen items in Cobb's home. On July fifteen, nineteen ninety four, Cobb, who was under arrest in an unrelated case actually like a drug case or I think a drug charge, gave a statement confessing to the burglary. But denying having anything to do with the disappearance of the woman and the child. So like, they found the stereo in the VCR in this kid's house and they're like you did it, and he's like, yeah, I confessed with the burglary. I had nothing to do with the other stuff. He did tell them during that interrogation that he had a feeling the bodies might be in the woods nearby. Okay, bro, like you're telling on yourself. That's when they started to feel like, oh, this kid has something to do with it. Cobb's lawyer, Hal Ridley, his lawyer in the burglary case, like his Hashi Horowitz, gave authorities permission to question him in August of nineteen eighty four, and in September of nineteen ninety five because the authorities told him he's not a suspect. Then in November of nineteen ninety five. So now at this point it's almost two years. They've really not gotten anywhere in this case. They found who robbed them, They found the burglary guy, but they don't know where the mom, where the mom, is the baby anything. Cobb's father, Charles Cobb, concerned about his son after his son like drank too much and started getting violent with his pregnant girlfriend. He later went to his son's apartment in Odessa, Texas, which is Friday night Lights territory. Well, also were Connor stories from. Oh I didn't know that. I did. Of course, that's interesting. You get out of it because you know if you read that, like I read the book of Friday Night Lights for sociology class in school, and it was like the only way to get out of for college, and the only way to get out of Odessa is like to play football.
Speaker 2: But not Connor story.
Speaker 1: He got out of there acting.
Speaker 2: So anyway because photos surfaced of him from a few weeks ago at a gas station in Texas, like he was back home visiting, I think, and all these he took photos of people at the gas station and he had a jeep Rubicon.
Speaker 1: Oh that's very high school hot guy, I know. He But this guy so Odessa, by the way, and Huntsville, like where this is all happening is like seventy miles away from Houston. I think north, but I'm not sure. So the dad goes to his son's apartment in Odessa, Texas, hometown of Connor story, to try to like talk to him, and he's like, tell me what's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And on November eleventh, nineteen ninety five, Charles Cobb goes to the Sheriff's office and tells them that my son has confessed to him that he killed Margaret during the burglary. So the dad hold on his son. Yes, so they arrest Cobb and they bring him in for questioning, and after ninety minutes of questioning, he admits to killing Margaret and Corey Ray. And Margaret had confronted him during the burglary, like lunged at him, and so he stabbed her in the stomach. There's some he sort of tried to say, I was holding a knife and she ran into it, and it's like nobody buys that he was trying to like downplay it. But so then this is off. What happens next He brings her body out to a wooded area close to the house. Then he goes back to the house to get a shovel. He because I don't know, he didn't have one, like in the trunk of his car from his dad, and he spotted a sleep the sleeping baby, So he grabs the shovel and the sleeping baby. He could have just left her there, but he brings he brings her out to where the mother's body is. Then he starts digging the grave. Okay, at some point, little Corey Ray wakes up and starts like moving towards her mom, but falls into the open grave. No claims the guy, and he just put the mom's dead body in there with her and filled it up like nightmare fuel. Like I know they said ludicrous did this, but like this happened in real life too, Like it's so horrible. This guy is seventeen years old, Like this is psychotic, and it's like it's the same everybody was saying the same shit that Kragan was saying about Darius, Like that little girl couldn't have idd you, she couldn't have testified against you. She's sixteen months old. You could have left her, Like what why did you do that? You know, it's really really nightmarish. And then he goes back into the house, takes the stereo, the VCR videotapes, and a bottle of tequila, like really unhinged. After he confesses, he brings the cops to his apartment, where he shows them his knife collection and is basically like I don't.
Speaker 2: Really remember which one is the murder REPM.
Speaker 1: But here are my knives and then the wedding ring that he took off of this woman's dead body. So like I'm like this, I wrote, this is a psychopath, Like if you have the presence of mine to take a wedding ring off of a woman you just killed, and then also like grab a stereo and like you know that shit, it's like you're missing a chip. Something is going wrong in your head. He also, because I can understand if he was like, oh no, I'm going to get caught with this burglary, I have to kill her about like everything else he did after that is really really psychopathic to me. So he also takes them to the wooded area behind the house where he buries the body so much like in the episode he shows them. So two years after the disappearance, the bodies of Margaret and Corey Ray are finally found. Obviously, the husband, Lindsay, is like relieved in a sense because he's like, now everybody can stop thinking that I murdered my wife and child, and I can also mourn them, because I mean, I'm sure he knew they were gone gone at some point. So his lawyer, Cobb's lawyer in the burglary case, is furious that he hadn't been contacted before they questioned Cobb about the murder and that his subsequent confession like that they never called him during that whole process, and so he motioned to have the confession thrown out on the grounds that his sixth Amendment right to counsel had been violated. The judge did not go for it and Cobb. They said Cobb had been mirandized and did not ask for counsel, and they found his confession to be lawful and voluntary. So he is a reigned on capital murder charges, and in February of nineteen ninety seven his trial begins. He is convicted and gets the death penalty pretty quickly after that. And then three years later, in two thousand, Cobb's defense team appealed and once again said his right to council was violated, and the Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas did overturn his conviction on appeal in a vote of six to three. Everyone is stunned, shocked, pissed, like they take it to the Supreme Court of the United States which agrees to hear the case, and they eventually reverse the decision by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, and the Supreme Court states that the sixth Amendment right to council is offense specific and attaches to charged and sufficiently related uncharged offenses, not necessarily offenses factual related to those that have actually been charged. So just because they charged him for the burglary, which was connected, it was like, it's that's a different offense that he was being charged for. So he didn't have the right to counsel there, And he was properly mirandized and could have asked for counsel at any time and did not. And I think in this case, we know ludacrous sort of like planned this, but in this case, I definitely don't think this kid had anything planned. So five years later, in early two thousand and five, Cobb was twenty eight years old, and he became one of seventy two death row inmates whose sentences were commuted after Roper versus Simmons, a Supreme Court ruling found that the Constitution prohibits the execution of people who were under eighteen when they committed their crimes. So this guy is involved now in two The one of the cases is Cobb versus Texas, which is this landmark case that like you actually don't have a right to counsel, like built in if you're charged with something else, you always have a right to counsel, of course. And then the second one was he actually got his life sentence commuted. So and David Weeks, who is the DA who prosecuted him, was obviously not happy to see a sentence commuted. Although like when this just when this Supreme Court decision passed about the being under eighteen, like so many of the cases were in Texas, like Texas like loves the death penalty, loves to kill people that are under eighteen, like loved it at the time. Now it's changed. And David Weeks, the DA who prosecuted him, said, quote, the way he carried out the crime tells you more than what his physical age was. There are people younger than eighteen out there who are as scary as anybody you can come across. They're just wired differently. If ever, there was a crime that the death penalty was designed to punish, that was it. And I mean he's not totally. I mean, I don't really believe in the death penalty. I think he can rot in prison for the rest of his life. But like, yeah, he the way that this crime came about was really like very born psychopath. But he's still in prison today. He'd probably be around forty eight years old, forty eight, forty nine. And that's where they got the Luda crime devastating. Yeah, like really really so terrible, and honestly, there's not a Wikipedia page about this crime, Like there's not like there's a really bad murder Pedia page about it, but like I had to look at court documents. I had to find like a little crime documentary that was like there just wasn't a lot. There's not you know, like usually there's a Wikipedia page about like the killer the crime, Like there's there's a Wikipedia page about the Supreme Court ruling, but really like to get the details of the crime itself, you had to go I had to go into like the court documents and everything. So yeah, interestingly, this case is it's so horrific, but it's kind of only relevant because of the Supreme Court ruling around.
Speaker 2: It's like the only reason that it's Yeah, killing the babies takes it to a new level that.
Speaker 1: You didn't need I mean that I don't know, like I could guess some psycho killers are like, oh, it's a seven year old. They're gonna say who I am. They're going to testify. I've got to get rid of all the.
Speaker 2: Evidence, Like, oh yeah, we canna understand that that I'd be like, you're a psycho, but you're covering up your crimes.
Speaker 1: This is like you just were like, oh and then alive. It's like it's just so horrific. Anyway, Anyway, it's bad. But we have a wild interview coming up, so don't anybody go anywhere, all right, guys, today's guest is an SVU legend.
Speaker 2: You may know him.
Speaker 1: We know him for his roles in two classic nineteen eighty eight movies, Beaches and Big Business, two of our Absolute Waves. He has also been in two of the original Naked God movies. But you know him best as defense attorney turned judge Hashi Horowitz. Please enjoy our chat with Joe Grifassi. If we get into your tenure as Hashi Horowitz, you defend some pretty bad men as she is.
Speaker 4: The King of Sleeves Bay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, defense attorneys.
Speaker 5: In fact, that was my first you know, to go back to that when that started, I mean, as you had been on for a year and then really a good friend of mine who I got it. It's a shout out to how do you shout out to a person that's deceased and you can't, but I mean you hope you do. But he was a wonderful guy and a brilliant direct named Jonathan Kaplan who had done a lot of films, had a pedigree in his family. He was Van Heflin's nephew. His father was blacklisted from MGM in the fifties. But he and he took what he knew from learning that business right all the way into television and into SVU because when when he called me, I had already done a movie of the Week with him when he called me.
Speaker 4: By the way, he won Jody Foster and.
Speaker 5: Oscar for the accused of Oh yeah, brilliant film director. Yeah, he had great films and he when he directed, he was like, yeah, that was the one, let's go.
Speaker 4: You know. He didn't dick her around. He knew, you know, because he learned that way.
Speaker 5: And yeah, he was the one that said, you know, all these great shots we've done with you and her and all the interplay says, forget about it because once they get it into the editing. With SVU and Law and Order generally the early period, I remember, especially you guys.
Speaker 4: Would know this.
Speaker 5: They did this big head stuff, you know what I mean, everything went to the big head. And what you don't see is that the scene that was played in the medium shots or even in the two shots was some great chemistry.
Speaker 2: You know. But uh episode of SVU is one of my favorite top two episodes. I would say, yeah, I mean the shootout in the court, that whole episode.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the twitter was that the one with the.
Speaker 1: With the races white nationalists?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, So it was great because Jonathan when he called me up, he said, Yoe, I want you to do this. He says, Heshi, He says, I know he's you know, I think he's like a public defender. And he says, and you're going to defend uh an area nation guy, And I said, oh, that's wonderful. And he was the one that put the stamp on the character and told the producers because they really liked they wanted him to come to New York, but he wouldn't.
Speaker 4: He was doing the r at the time.
Speaker 5: And uh, they said, uh, he said, this guy's great because he's like a real public defender. He has to take whatever Helly gets, and for the Jew to get the.
Speaker 4: Nazi is perfect, you know what I mean. I think at one point, doesn't he say he wonderful actor by the way played the cop or the guy. Didn't he say I don't know, ask my Jew or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that episode is wild that it was on NBC with some of the language in it, but also still relevant today, like so much of s for you, Like yeah, case is like it's like so if it aired this year, it would make sense.
Speaker 4: It was great because.
Speaker 5: For me it's cemented who my character would be in the future. Because I was kind of like, you know, I have to do this, you know what I mean. This is not only I always we Jonathan. I used to joke, I said, I have to do this, not just because it's my job, because it's my tumudic responsibility, you know, to.
Speaker 4: See justice, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And I love playing that And I spent considerable time down at the courts years earlier because when I did, I did a film called.
Speaker 4: Presumed Innocent with my old friend Brad Whitford, who I heard crazy Bread. It was just like the second assistant to the left. He played role Julia's assistant in the in that one.
Speaker 5: And uh and we we spent time down at at the court. You know Alan Pacola, who was a genius director. I loved him and he he said, I want you to go spend time.
Speaker 4: So we spent.
Speaker 5: I spent a couple of weeks with the I sat it on cases and and so I got to see the kind of cool, relaxed interplay that goes on. You know that you don't some son seat like well, before they bring the jury in, the judge and the the defense lawyers are like, you know, their buddy, buddy, you know what I'm saying. In fact, there's a dick Wolf would know all about this.
Speaker 4: Of course there was.
Speaker 5: There's a famous bar down in in Chinatown behind City Hall by the courtroom.
Speaker 4: It's called for Leeni's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There's an episode of the show called Last Call at for Leanies from like one of the more recent seasons.
Speaker 4: Probably because I don't know if it's closed. I went there and had a bull of tripe about three years ago old.
Speaker 7: So for Leanie's was great because when you go to for Leanie's, you see the defense attorneys and prosecutors sitting at the same table, you know, and uh, and what's his name would be.
Speaker 5: There all the time at his table. Oh geez, who was the famous DA in New York? And my my brain is.
Speaker 1: Shocked real life. Yeah, I'm not gonna run.
Speaker 4: At his own table. You know.
Speaker 2: Do you have some favorite judges or a das that you would go up against during your SVU time?
Speaker 5: Let me think, oh, yeah, well, Stephanie March would be one of them.
Speaker 1: And uh, dian Neel Dianel, I thought you were gonna say yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought you.
Speaker 1: Guys have such a great chemistry in this episode Venom that we're talking about today that I was like, I'm pretty sure he's gonna say unless it's one of those things where no on screen is that you actually hate each other in real life.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, how could you hate her?
Speaker 1: I know, she's been a guest on our podcast twice.
Speaker 2: She's one of our the other one.
Speaker 5: Too, because I mean, you guys, you guys are really good at this.
Speaker 4: I mean you are like you are like, you know, sort of I don't know how to describe it. You know, a brutal energy.
Speaker 1: Or or put it on a T shirt, Joe, we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Make like happiness. I don't know. Yeah, I like, I like those opposite things.
Speaker 5: But anyway, she working together, she's the best. But you know, this is goes back to what I said before. If you'll see there's a walk and talk scene in that episode with me and Diane and we're Those kind of scenes make me thrilled to do though, you know what I mean for actors, especially stage actors. I think even Brad talked about it. And you know, I didn't know that was the first time working with her. I didn't know what her experience was. I was a devote you might say, of thirties and forties American comedy, you know, especially in films like you know, for me, the first scene of His Girl Friday is it you know if you can, you know, And that's pretty much a two shot where Carrie Grant and Rosalind Russell just.
Speaker 4: Never lose a beat. That it's a brilliant scene.
Speaker 5: But to be able to do that, and it was a two shot, and because they put a side by side, they couldn't do the big head because they couldn't do the reverses.
Speaker 4: You know, the judge, she was sitting at the desk, so.
Speaker 5: They kept us in frame and it was great because we're arguing at the desk, trying to make our points. You know, they didn't know, but you know what I mean, but.
Speaker 2: You knew you were going to win, and you know, like you came in smug as hell into that court.
Speaker 4: No smug at all. I didn't think I did smoke.
Speaker 2: But he knew that he was going to get this guy off. Like that was fun.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and ludicrous was good.
Speaker 5: I mean I really, you know, I he was like, first of all, I walk on the set and I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. I didn't know who he was. You know, I heard his name.
Speaker 5: He was really sweet and he really wanted to act. And there was one take I remember when he was you know it was it was it was his long speech and close up in that interrogation and.
Speaker 4: They we had to.
Speaker 5: Go you know, sometimes with people who are new at it, especially in TV, because the way it works, you have to go back in the front for a line or something or or get off it.
Speaker 4: And he says, I remember.
Speaker 5: Saying, oh I can do this, don't worry I can do this. You know, he really wanted to eat.
Speaker 4: He was arrogant at all, and he did that one take and he was just grand in it. I don't know, you know what I mean, that long one.
Speaker 5: Great yeah, and it was such a good take that I have lines and somebody else, but they never cut to us because you know, the sustained take was so great. And besides, you know the old adigend movies which I've lived through as a character actor.
Speaker 4: My whole life is cut to the money. You know, so when you're on scene, you're on screen.
Speaker 5: With a really name actor like I was with Richard Pryor or Harrison Ford, don't expect in the editing room all those wonderful shots of your reactions to go anywhere.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, that is so funny. Well, okay, so wildly. You're in both of our favorite movies, what from the eighties, both with Bette Midler, So Big Business is my number one favorite movie.
Speaker 1: Of all time. And then Kara and Mine is Beaches. She had Beaches the Party, and I had two Beaches seen birthday parties when I was in third and fourth grade. And I can't believe I'm speaking to Auto tits like himself. This is invenoring crowd had nothing to get very worked up about.
Speaker 4: Can we digress? Can I talk about those two movies?
Speaker 2: Great stories about yes, this is our dream that this was.
Speaker 4: So much fun. Oh, I got so many stories. I'll tell you one though.
Speaker 5: Like, for example, there was a wonderful producer named Mike Piser who used to do all the Woody Allen's and then he moved out to California, so he's doing this. I got that job because I got a call Noon says can you come right now to meet Jim Abrams. Somebody backed out of the apart and I went and I got the role. I was like, I guess I'm not moving out of New York. I was thinking about commuting or something. Anyway, I get the roll and get on there and and Jim is great. He was, you know, part of zazz Zucker Abram Zucker. You know they are airplane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all the naked naked I saw you're in all the naked guns here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean those.
Speaker 4: Guys were genius.
Speaker 5: They were a bunch of guys that came out of Milwaukee doing sketch comedy on stage. So so big business is like, and it's got this wonderful cast and and.
Speaker 2: Uh and you guys shot at the hotel, right, did you shoot at the Plaza?
Speaker 1: No, now, we.
Speaker 4: Shot the externals at the Plaza.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Everything was a set. Okay, we were on this big.
Speaker 5: Set on the Disney lot and it was very formidable looking. Oh my god, it looked like plaster and everything.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Mike Piser said to me, Disney unlike any other uh you know, uh company who worked for They have product placement like nobody's business. You know, they'll take a nickel from somebody, you know. But the funniest one was I have a moment if you remember where I go in Uh what's his name? Uh, Michel Placido, who's a big star in Italy. I didn't know that plays the Latino guy. He was into the gift shop to get something and for one of them, and I walk in next and I stop in front of the thing with prophylactics on it, you know, and it's got it's got like it's loaded with Trojans, you know what I mean. So it's kind of a great scene. It's mos me. It was no sounds that it was easy. It was fun I grabbed one and I had an idea and I said, Jim, I'll watch this.
Speaker 4: I took one, I went two, you know, like it's gonna be a big night, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 5: And I walk away and he said, oh, that's great, cot could we can move on? And suddenly the prop woman comes yelling, no stop, God, we have to do it again. You don't usually hear that. And he goes, what are you talking about? He goes Disney's dealers with lifestyles and we had Trojans on.
Speaker 2: God, Oh my god, this is Disney right.
Speaker 5: And I didn't know mice used prophylactics, but I found out that day.
Speaker 1: And then he got punched in the face.
Speaker 5: And Jim, I gotta say, because there's such great We both done sketch comedy on stage, so we had an impulse to do like that. And he said, uh, how are we gonna stage this? And I said I have an idea. I said, I have an idea. You can do it, no wonder He said, how is that? I says, let me go to the.
Speaker 4: Door and knock.
Speaker 5: It does cut to her answering, but basically the same shot. It's like it's it's it's my POV on her. She answers the door and I grab her sweater and say, I used to be allergic to angora, but no more, you know, And which time she wils me and I said, Jim, I said, I said, give me a mat.
Speaker 4: You give me a mat behind me.
Speaker 5: I flipped around and I went like that and I fell out a frame and it left her with a close up, you know, and she does that little thing with the with the thing.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the movie was, uh, it was. It was just great to work on it and never forget it.
Speaker 5: And then a year, a couple of years later, I get a phone I get a phone call from Bonnie Bruckheimer, who was best, good friend and producer, you know, and she says, Joe, we're doing this movie and there's a musical number in it.
Speaker 4: Can you dance?
Speaker 5: And I had been in some musicals, so I did dance, you know, as a comic dancer, I guess.
Speaker 4: So I said, yeah, she goes, you got anything that shows you dancing? So I did a video.
Speaker 5: I have a pair of I have one pair of black tights which I had from drama school days as a whole right in the back, a little hole.
Speaker 4: So and I wear tidy whities. So I did a dance with it.
Speaker 5: I did a little put a little like three minute thing to Swan Lake in my living room, and I turned around and showed this little thing and I ended it with it like a pseudo Barushnikov move.
Speaker 4: Apparently she liked it.
Speaker 5: Oh and then she says, is there anyone I can ask about your dancing?
Speaker 4: So I just got to be sure, because it's going to be a real dance number. I said.
Speaker 5: Called Graciela Daniella. She was the great, you know, choreographer on Broadway. We'd worked twice and I got the job and I saw Grassiew months later, I said, what did you say?
Speaker 4: Obviously it was, she goes. I told them the truth. She says, you know, if you want barish Niko, I forget about it. But if you want to laugh, get him, you know, you know. And I and and that was amazing.
Speaker 5: We went out every day to the Debbie Rentals studios in the valley and really rehearsed it like serious number stuff, you know, And uh, it was.
Speaker 4: It was. It was great.
Speaker 5: And Gary Marshall was wacky Gary, you know, he was fun to work with. I used to I did Flamingo Kid with him years earlier, and he would he was so laid back. You didn't know if he had a pulse sometime when he was directing, but he kind of knew it was funny.
Speaker 4: Bet was great, I mean she actually loved you.
Speaker 5: Know, when we were doing the Week of Choreography, she was almost happier, you know what I mean, because that's like that's like hermechier.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what she was doing for you years. Yeah, when she was doing her shows, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I just looked up Vannie Bruckheimer and she also did Hocus Pocus, I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and her husband was Jerry Bruckhremer.
Speaker 1: Well, of course I saw that. I am dB, I assumed.
Speaker 4: So I want to just.
Speaker 5: Say, going back to us VU, yeah that doing that, that those quick snappy dialogue scenes, which the thing I loved about it was uh and you can see it. I felt like we were both on that day. We both had our intentions were very strong. And sometimes you know, actors on television they don't you know, we know as stage actors that you have to have really an intention. You want it's something you want, you know what I mean. And she's striving for it, and I'm striving for it and it just keeps creating. But with Stephanie March, I never expect did this, but we did it. We did exactly the same scene in a sense that it's the two of us facing as judge and arguing our point, but in chambers, so you know, we can say anything we want.
Speaker 4: She was great.
Speaker 5: We're both trying to like, you shut up so I can speak, you know, kind of like that, you know, Stephanie March was. I loved her. I thought she had something really because she could she could play severe, you know what I mean. And and but it was but it was interesting, you know, and she didn't back off from it. She didn't try to soften the edge. So maybe the TV audience will like me a bit, you know.
Speaker 1: No, she went after those criminals.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 5: And if did you ever see did you ever see? I was in the pilot and it was one of the very few dick Wolf shows that probably never went past pilot, or maybe it did. It's called conviction. Did you ever see any of that? Oh you never did? I can send you, I can link you to the episode. I have a copy of the episode.
Speaker 4: Oh it's fun. There was supposed to be this grant.
Speaker 5: He was at his full powers and all the shows were running full blast at that time, and this new one looked really good. It was all about the young prosecutors in the New York Prosecutor's Office, you know what I mean. And they're all these young and he was smart. He said, let's get some young actors who are going to go places, because you know, we have shows with old actors.
Speaker 4: Now they're legacy people, you know. So this was really a great idea. And I remember, forget the first read through.
Speaker 5: But because they were young, Dick was there and he said, now I want you to know something. When it's on the page, I expected you to say it. He says, we don't really if it's going to be ed LIBBD or this. Nady says, well, you may just be looking for another job. He was like, you know, because he was tired of people coming in that. You know, we're doing the other thing. So in that show, Stephanie plays one of the lead prosecutors and she's nails.
Speaker 4: I mean, she is nails, you know.
Speaker 1: And how he plays cabot Off, Yeah, she plays the same care right right, oh right, yeah, you came back for the five hundredth episode.
Speaker 2: Was that fun? Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: I was a judge in that right by that time.
Speaker 1: Yea yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, I have to correct the record here.
Speaker 5: What for some stupid reason, every time they list me, like in their literally online stuff or in IMDb, they totally get the name wrong. Some pa wrote it and they never raced it from the system. They call me Hashy Horoiz. His name is Hashy. It's Herschel. Okay, there ain't no Hashy.
Speaker 2: I mean you've heard it here. Thanks for doing, you know, setting the record.
Speaker 1: So you're saying it spelled h e s Chang.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's Herschel.
Speaker 2: There will our listeners will get this fixed, don't you worry, because it literally this will be he says under trivia for your character in the wiki of SVU, Hashi's name is misspelled as Hashi on Netflix and Prime So now like some Prime video actually have it correct.
Speaker 1: They've got some intern over there that knows the lore and that your name is well.
Speaker 4: I told him, many tell you.
Speaker 5: I banged my head against the wall saying can you say, oh yeah, well we Can's easy, you know, once it's out.
Speaker 1: There and once it's on IMDb. You know that's it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I go there to see who I was. I literally don't know.
Speaker 5: I can't believe those that thing because I don't know, And then I go back. Sometimes I'll go back and actually see I swear it was. It was eighty three when I did that movie. Or No, No a Woman, It was eighty three when I bought that statue.
Speaker 4: I was what was I shooting in eighty three?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you were in Spain, you know. Oh yeah, that's why I about the statue. You know, you could kind of grade your life when you get old that way.
Speaker 1: You know, you worked with Julie Taymoor.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Did you like it?
Speaker 4: I'll have to say, you know, just to be fair, give us the dirt.
Speaker 1: Joe tell us, who's horrible to work with?
Speaker 2: We love to hear it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What other gossip do you have? You've been You've been out there for decades. Oh.
Speaker 4: I did a seen years ago in a movie called Oh.
Speaker 5: It was based on a book Poper Greenwich Village, and I had to do some scenes with Eric Roberts, and uh, I don't know Eric.
Speaker 1: Nobody's got anything good to say about Eric Roberts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Eric that is contained in the word arrogant. But uh yeah, man, I mean he just.
Speaker 5: He It just bummed me because we were doing a scene and the director of photography wanted to run the camera mounted it on the back of the car. And John Bailey, who was a wonderful I think he might have been an OSCAR winner. He was on the car, a sweet guy, and Eric is driving the card. Oh, let's see what we can see what John? So he starts doing like speed turns to.
Speaker 4: Try to knock him off. You know, I'm going, uh that that kind of I was on.
Speaker 5: The verge of grabbing him, you know, and really, you know, but what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: You know, and you were You've been in New York this whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I only would go to LA to relocate for a series or or a movie or something like that, you know, And I realized at some point I was like, oh, I got to stay here because this is what I'm gonna get more work.
Speaker 4: And I was going something about it.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that that.
Speaker 5: Instinct because I never would have you know, I didn't want to fizzle out. It was it was weird and l and being out of work between jobs. Let's say ultra ultra employ you know, between jobs in LA is like a scourage. You're like, you're like you're wearing some kind of a badge on you.
Speaker 2: That's in New York.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh good, you got time to go have lunch and drink. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 1: Do you know that?
Speaker 4: But you're in the city, right, Yeah, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: I'm in LA but I've got like two kids and a different thing. I like it here, but I also love New York. Joe, this was a pleasure. They can to talk to us. It's always great when we see you on the screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, soon soon, that's all they'll be.
Speaker 1: And now we stop. Now we can spread the word. Hashy Horowitz. It's Hashi Horowitz. We're gonna spread the way. We're going to spread the.
Speaker 4: Would you please somebody get it right?
Speaker 2: Yes? It was a thrill, you know, I feel we're we're like a serial killer getting our little tokens.
Speaker 1: We're getting all our little souvenirs. We're getting our slides. We're putting our slides in our slide thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels incredible. I mean I can't believe we got to talk to him.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad we got to talk to Hashi Horowitz and then he cleared up. I mean this, if you're a Wikipedia editor, you need to go in and like edit the like his name is supposed to be Heshi. It's Herschel, not Hashi. So that was a mistake some somebody made along the lines, and it's stuck. But I I'm glad that we got him for this episode, and we are leaving the second arc of this open for you. Ludacris. I know you're listening. We we just want you. We want to talk about your acting. You're so good. But this episode, I mean, he's scary in this episode, but the next one is really where he's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Well because he's smart, calm, and I planned all of this. I don't know, smart character and yeah, i'd have sex with the ludicrous yeah, and the you know the guy in the real life story. He's in jail forever.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure in Texas they really wanted his ass dead. But if you're seventeen, I don't know, I don't know. I'm not I'm against I'm against the death, but burying a baby alive. That's where you almost you know, you almost get me on the other side. But no, no, I think writing in jail is worse. That's why I think that I'm anti death penalty for a lot of reasons. But also spending your whole life thinking about what you did and not having your freedom is a worse punishment I think.
Speaker 2: But if you're a socio, yeah, you still want comfort, like you think about yourself. But I do wonder, like they're probably pissed they got caught. But I wonder if a socio, if they really feel nothing. They don't care if they're in jail.
Speaker 1: Right, but they probably do feel like that the food is disgusting and they have to shit in front of other people, and it's not a great life, right Like sure for me, like they're probably getting that that's a hot take. I don't know that they're like a learning a lesson, but they're definitely having a bad life. But uh, yeah, this episode, yeah, we just we got to get ludicrous on here and then we'll finish the well, we'll close the loop on this story. Also, I love the woman that plays I love the woman that plays Finn's wife. Is she Sa Hamilton? Lisa Gay Hamilton. Uh is she Broadway? How do we know her from outside of well the practic stage as well the practice, right, that's how we know her.
Speaker 2: And it's Cynthia Nick, Miranda's neighbor with the vibrating chair for the baby.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was just listening to an interview with David E. Kelly, who was the producer of the Practice. How many you know and married to Michelle Pfeiffer, because he's made this show, Margo's Got Money Troubles. Have you heard of it or any I've never heard of it. What is it called? It's based on a book actually that a lot of people were reading and said was really great about Margot Has Money Troubles. And I think it's about a girl's start, like a young mom starts a OnlyFans, Yeah, a single mom. So and it's to quota, it's it's El Fanning, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, Michelle Pfeiffer. It's all coming back. So I've seen some press.
Speaker 1: I've seen something and El Fanning you're I know you're a big fan of so I am. How do you know that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just I feel like I just know that.
Speaker 1: You love the Fanning sisters, but you like talk about ll a lot and then she's so pretty. He was talking on the interview about how he won for Best Comedy for Ally McBeal the same year as he won for Best Drama for The Practice, I think Emmy's and that's like, never happened that someone wins both of their shows. And they beat the Sopranos that year, which he said, we were all very surprised. No one thought we were going to beat the Sopranos.
Speaker 2: But wow, you know, wow.
Speaker 1: So she's a talented guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's been making a hit television for thirty years.
Speaker 1: He writes his first drafts in pen on a piece of paper. That's my kind of guy. Yeah, that's what I said. He's so against AI. Like the interviewer was asking him like, do you know how to email? Or does someone send your emails? Print your emails out for you? And he was like, no, I know how to email, Like but he does. He likes the old He's like, that's just what's worked for me forever. So that's what I do. The pen and paper it all. I personally don't think my hand would work writing for more than three minutes, Like I don't. My hand is not doesn't have the stamina. I put everything like I don't. I have friends that keep paper calendars and like, oh I prefer to handwrite. I'm like, I put everything in my phone, Like everything is digital. The vacuums are right outside the door right now. I don't know if you can hear them, but anyway, should we move on to what would Sister Peg do? Where was the Stavity Kelly interview? Oh, on the Town your favorite? I actually barely listened to it anymore. I saw it in my feed and because I barely have time and I listened, I popped it on. I was like, you know, I'd like to hear what he said. It was like basically, what does this legendary showrunner say about current TV? And like you know, and I didn't get to finish the interview, but I'm going to keep listening.
Speaker 2: Stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first half was the stuff about you know, the sopranos and him writing on the paper. But let's get into what would Sister Peg do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Listen. I was like racking my brain, like what is a organization that ties into today's episode? And I like truly could not think of anything because it's just like a horrific murder and then like there, you know, there was this Supreme Court decision making, but there's not a documentary. There's nothing I could find. So I decided to sort of make it about me and make it about Los Angeles because Lisa lives in a city where they elected a cool progressive mayor and I am a cutie.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's honestly crazy. Everything he's done. I pray for him.
Speaker 1: It's almost like LA is trying to like take the la new York. Oh well, if New York's gonna do something, we're gonna do something even like way worse, Like I don't know. Like, so we are in the throes of a jungle primary for our mayor election and our governor's election, although I think we have way more of a hope of getting elsa Democrat into the race for that. But I worry that what is happening in Los Angeles is that Spencer Pratt, who is a reality star grifter from anyone that has watched The Hills is voting, is running allegedly independently but absolutely as a Republican in LA as mayor. A lot of you have been writing me saying, can you those of you that are Angelino's have been writing me saying, can I get your progressive voter guide? And basically I'm following most of what DSA Los Angeles has, so that is going to be what we're pointing to this week is the DSA Los Angeles Primary election voter Guide. We will link to it in the show notes. It will be in a story on the Instagram page the day that this episode comes out, which is thats messed up pod. But essentially, I know there are more progressive candidates than who I'm supporting. Nathia Raman. I think she's great. She's done a lot of work that's good for the city, and I think giving this reality grifter like a thirteen or like the mayor is symbolic. It's like, no, it's a thirteen like billion dollar budget that he has to control and he wants to like criminalize homelessness and all this stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'm dear with people, Oh, mayor, that's just a fake thing, when like our mayor has changed this city for the better for many citizens.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they like fund the they fund the police, they do all this stuff, and literally I love how people are all like he's going to get rid of homelessess, Like why do you think that there has been politician after politician and homelessness is not solved across the board. It is because it is a complex, deep issue that there are like that you have to do multi phase legislation about and government barely works in this country. So it's like nobody is going to come in and magically, you know, clean up your streets like that. And also, homeless people are people. We cannot just like ship them to wherever, to jails or wherever you think. So that is my that is my soapbox. I'm using this week's what would Sister Peg do to get to please not vote for Spencer Pratt? And I know you guys aren't going to, but I'm saying, even if you like a more progressive candidate, the only way to keep Spencer off the ballot is to vote for Nythia Rahman. Because of the way that this is a jungle pant primary, like the others just do not have the percentages, They're not going to do it. This episode comes out, there's i think eight more days or one more week until the election. When this episode comes out, there is not time to vote for this guy that hits checks all your boxes. Nithia is the one we gotta vote for if we want to keep Spencer.
Speaker 2: Off the ballot.
Speaker 1: Also for governor, you got to wait until last minute and vote for whoever has the highest amount of votes so that we can get either Besarah or Tom Steyer. I know he's a billionaire. Listen, Bernie endorsed him. We got to do what we gotta do. So that's my soapbox for LA politics. Come back next week for an actual charity organization or documentary, and yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll have some good news after the Jungle primary, I hope so. And next week we'll be doing Motherly Love Sounds Bleak, Season eighteen, episode ten, can't wait.
Speaker 1: You guys are the best.
Speaker 2: We're obsess See you soon bye. That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Dun dun h